PDA

View Full Version : DC's Early Look Ahead to 2013

Scott Wright
05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Posted my annual look ahead feature with the Top 15 Senior prospects for the 2013 NFL Draft.

Obviously keep in mind that it's very early, but I had trouble whittling the list down this year. In fact, I usually list just twelve players but upped it to fifteen and still had to leave some out that I wanted to include. In-depth film work will begin later this summer, but for the time being enjoy!

Early Look Ahead to the 2013 NFL Draft - Top 15 Seniors
http://draftcountdown.com/features/Future/2013-NFL-Draft-Preview.php

K Train
05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
that high on landry jones huh?

I love me some teo and mcdonald

mqtirishfan
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Is it just me or is this an insanely strong senior class?

Razor
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Is it just me or is this an insanely strong senior class?

It is. I wouldn't put Barkley at the top, however. Star Lotulelei is my guy. I have Barkley ranked as my number one QB right now, but that's only because of his experience in a pro style offense. I don't think he has much upside which will push him down to at least third in my rankings unless Logan Thomas and Tyler Wilson completely stinks up their seasons. Bray and Murray could even get in front of Barkley with strong seasons imo.

SuperPacker
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
It is. I wouldn't put Barkley at the top, however. Star Lotulelei is my guy. I have Barkley ranked as my number one QB right now, but that's only because of his experience in a pro style offense. I don't think he has much upside which will push him down to at least third in my rankings unless Logan Thomas and Tyler Wilson completely stinks up their seasons. Bray and Murray could even get in front of Barkley with strong seasons imo.

I think it is as well. I'd love to see last years version of this to compare.

princefielder28
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Landry Jones being ahead of Tyler Wilson is very surprising

keylime_5
05-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Landry Jones PLUMMETED down my draft board after how terrible he looked following the injuries to his WRs last year. Him being in an extremely QB friendly system doesn't help either - plus Bell taking a bunch of snaps away from him this year won't help his stock either.

Leon Sandcastle
05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Landry Jones PLUMMETED down my draft board after how terrible he looked following the injuries to his WRs last year. Him being in an extremely QB friendly system doesn't help either - plus Bell taking a bunch of snaps away from him this year won't help his stock either.

He's too finnicky in the pocket for my liking. Almost like Blaine Gabbert in that respect. Still think he'll be taken in the 1st this year but this is going to haunt him at the next level if he doesn't correct it now.

JRTPlaya21
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Landry Jones better ball out hard this year and show some progression or I could see him almost slipping out of the 1st round.

Flyboy
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM

I always thought he was overrated to begin with.

twiz
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Not a single WR? Interesting.

Scott Wright
05-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Not a single WR? Interesting.

As of right now Terrance Williams of Baylor is the top senior wideout, although obviously his stock could be affected by the absence of RG3 and Kendall Wright. We'll see how he handles it.

keylime_5
05-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Landry Jones better ball out hard this year and show some progression or I could see him almost slipping out of the 1st round.

yeah, you never know though. I thought Tannehill was a late first at BEST after his less than stellar senior year, but his stock wasn't hurt at all.......to be fair to Tannehill though he was so inexperienced and Landry Jones doesn't have that excuse at all - plus he played with all that talent at Oklahoma as well. Big 12 QBs seem to be big time busts more often than not in the NFL too which doesn't help.

Big Bird
05-08-2012, 12:14 AM
As of right now Terrance Williams of Baylor is the top senior wideout, although obviously his stock could be affected by the absence of RG3 and Kendall Wright. We'll see how he handles it.
Terrance Williams will prove to be very average without RG3. Has dropped a ton of passes. Average route runner as well.

People really need to stop being blinded by stats...

gator3guy
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
yeah, you never know though. I thought Tannehill was a late first at BEST after his less than stellar senior year, but his stock wasn't hurt at all.......to be fair to Tannehill though he was so inexperienced and Landry Jones doesn't have that excuse at all - plus he played with all that talent at Oklahoma as well. Big 12 QBs seem to be big time busts more often than not in the NFL too which doesn't help.

Tannehill also benefited from the dropoff of this year's QB class.

Right now, the 2013 class looks to have more first round talent at QB. Of course a lot can change from now until April.

K Train
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Tannehill also benefited from the dropoff of this year's QB class.

if barkely declared tannehill would have gone right where he should have....late first like the JP losmans of the world

K Train
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM

senior WR class looks terrible and that is shown by Terrance Williams being #1

I honestly think i like dennard robinson the best out of senior WRs lol

gator3guy
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
senior WR class looks terrible and that is shown by Terrance Williams being #1

I honestly think i like dennard robinson the best out of senior WRs lol

Happens a lot. The good juniors usually declare. Some one will step up.

Vaylor
05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
if barkely declared tannehill would have gone right where he should have....late first like the JP losmans of the world

I doubt Tannhill would have fallen past Miami unless they traded up for Barkley/RG3.

SenorGato
05-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Here's hoping the Jets land McDonald or Okafor...

Tyler Wilson is tough. Barkley is solid. Don't really care for/about Jones, so I'll HS off judgement for 8 months or so.

RaiderNation
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I find it hard to put Landry Jones that high, in fact I have him as a 2/3 round prospect going into the 2013 draft process. I'm much high on Tyler Wilson, who I think will end up being the 2nd QB drafted even if a JR declares. That could change if Logan Thomas was to take the next step in his career...

A Perfect Score
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I find it hard to put Landry Jones that high, in fact I have him as a 2/3 round prospect going into the 2013 draft process. I'm much high on Tyler Wilson, who I think will end up being the 2nd QB drafted even if a JR declares. That could change it Logan Thomas was to take the next step in his career...

Am I the only person who likes Tyler Wilson more then Matt Barkley? I can't be...

princefielder28
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Am I the only person who likes Tyler Wilson more then Matt Barkley? I can't be...

nope, you're not the only one

RaiderNation
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Barkley has to be the top guy when you factor in all he has done on all levels of football, but Tyler Wilson has the potential to be a better pro player. Wilson has a chance to lead Arkansas to a top 5 ranking while playing in the SEC again, doing it without Bobby Petrino will show the growth he has made.

I still can see Logan Thomas emerging as a potential Heisman Trophy winner and go very high like Cam and RG3 the last 2 seasons.

shylo3716
05-09-2012, 05:07 PM
No mention of non Seniors...

Aaron Murray
Michael Dyer
Robert Woods
Kenny Stills
Dennard Robinson*
Xavier Rhodes

Don Vito
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
You really think Kenny Stills should be mentioned withthose guys? If I remember correctly he had some struggles when he had to pick up Broyle's slack after his injury.

TACKLE
05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Barkley has to be the top guy when you factor in all he has done on all levels of football, but Tyler Wilson has the potential to be a better pro player.

This makes no sense to me. Can you please explain?

D-Unit
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I like Wilson more than Barkley, but I think Barkley has the higher floor and is a pretty safe QB prospect. Wilson's upside is immense though. Love his arm.

OSUGiants17
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Nope, I rank him above Barkley now and Bray could be ahead of him after this year. Besides, USC QBs always bust.

ElectricEye
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I think Wilson is being overrated just a tad right now. I have him and Barkley ranked fairly close right now, with Wilson having more potential. I'm just interested to see how he responds to having all those new guys step in at receiver. I really think he could be challenged this year, even if some of it isn't anything he can control.

I really think Bray could end up being better than both of them in the end, although he still has plenty to prove.

Shane P. Hallam
05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
It's going to be a fun season because I believe there will be some GREAT arguments against ALL of the QB prospects this year.

This isn't what I think, but we will hear all of this if they do well.

Barkley: Product of the system, weak arm, mediocre.

Tyler Bray: Product of his WRs, not consistent enough, makes too many mistakes

Nope, I rank him above Barkley now and Bray could be ahead of him after this year. Besides, USC QBs always bust.

And Petrino QBs always succeed?

RaiderNation
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
This makes no sense to me. Can you please explain?

Barkley has been getting ready to be a NFL QB for some time working with professional QB coaches while he was in middle school. He has had major success while at USC and looks like he could lead them into National Championship contention. But I think Wilson could be looked at as the more prototypcial NFL QB when teams compare the 2.

TACKLE
05-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Barkley has been getting ready to be a NFL QB for some time working with professional QB coaches while he was in middle school. He has had major success while at USC and looks like he could lead them into National Championship contention. But I think Wilson could be looked at as the more prototypcial NFL QB when teams compare the 2.

So Barkley has to be the top guy essentially because of high school and college hype/accolades but Wilson has better tools and could be a better NFL prospect yet Barkley will still be the top prospect? According to who? Maybe it's your wording but I'm still confused with what you're trying to say.

JRTPlaya21
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
No mention of non Seniors...

Aaron Murray
Michael Dyer
Robert Woods
Kenny Stills
Dennard Robinson*
Xavier Rhodes

Because it's a top 15 of Seniors....lol Denard? really? stop it. Dyer is most likely not eligible this season and Stills isn't better then Keenan Allen.

TACKLE
05-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Obviously next year's class always looks better than this year's but I really think the 2013 class can be a special group.

ChiefMojo
05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
As a Chiefs fan I think Tyler Bray or Logan Thomas are who I'm keeping my eye on the most. I keep going back and forth between which one I like better. Look forward to this upcoming season to make a decision between the two.

TonyGfortheTD
05-14-2012, 02:14 AM
I'd be awfully surprised if Landry Jones is being considered any higher than late 1st 7 months from now.

He's got a lot on his plate with a giant microscope on every snap he takes, along with Broyles now in the NFL and the Belldozer.

stlouisfan37
05-14-2012, 03:27 AM
I was wondering what you guys think of Keith Price from Washington as a QB prospect? He kind of burst onto the scene here this season and had a nice year. At 6'1" and 200 I can see him being knocked for not having prototypical size.

duesouth
05-14-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd be awfully surprised if Landry Jones is being considered any higher than late 1st 7 months from now.

He's got a lot on his plate with a giant microscope on every snap he takes, along with Broyles now in the NFL and the Belldozer.

I guess we'll see how he's improved this coming year, but based on his 2011 play I don't think he's a high first round pick at all. He was right to come back and maybe he steps up his play. Need to see better accuracy and footwork, particularly under pressure.

The other guy on the list who I wouldn't rate that high is Montee Ball. Has a great line in front of him and unless he runs faster than I think he will, I would see him a borderline day two pick.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-14-2012, 04:18 AM
I was wondering what you guys think of Keith Price from Washington as a QB prospect? He kind of burst onto the scene here this season and had a nice year. At 6'1" and 200 I can see him being knocked for not having prototypical size.

A favorite of mine. I think he could surprise in a west coast offense and become a really good player. Not a power arm and he has bouts of inaccuracy but when he's on, he's really on. He can spin the ball so clean and to say he's got great touch on the ball is a slight to him as some passes seemingly kiss the hands of receivers. Such a catchable ball. He doesn't have a Michael Vick cannon but the velocity on his throws is more than adequate. And he's a tough, gutsy guy; he's a Compton kid and it shows on the field. He'll take hits, he'll take risks and he's a crafty, tough runner. Only having listened to him speak he seems like a really personable and likable guy and having won the "Guy Flaherty Award" that is rewarded to the most "inspirational" Husky would seemingly reflect that. He's really good throwing on the move. I think the bouts of inaccuracy have to do with his footwork, I'm no expert but I haven't seen any decent prospect with footwork quite like his, it's wild. On throws where he really tries to sling it he winds up. I'll need to focus more on the mental part of his game this coming season but based on some preliminary watching he appeared to lock onto his initial read and he didn't make many anticipation throws. I really like him and think that with added experience and some touching up of his mechanics he could be a really good player.

I think if you were to put him in last year's draft class he would've been a second round pick. He's not as good as Tannehill physically or mentally. He's better than Osweiler IMO. Although his size might've pushed him down into Russell Wilson territory. Personally I would've taken him over Weeden but I think I might be alone on that one.

georgiafan
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Landry Jones had better hope Sam Bradford has a good year or his stock could go down more

K Train
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Landry Jones had better hope Sam Bradford has a good year or his stock could go down more

landry jones had better worry about himself, sam bradford is the least of his worries

Witten4HOF
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I think Collin Klein will have another nice season for k-state and get some late 1st rd hype come draft time. He has a very similar skill set to Tannehill imo and is developing into a solid passer especially on the move.

edit: everyone likes to note that the league is trending in to pass first spread offenses, but rarely do we touch on the fact that teams are starting to favor mobile QB's. Andrew Luck in the model of Aaron Rogers as a polished passer who buys time in the pocket... Ryan Tannehill who has some of Tony Romo's elusiveness and gun slinging ability. RGIII has elite athleticism and has been compared to the success of Cam Newton and Michael Vick.

I fully expect guys with plus athleticism to be push up draft boards and Klein fits that mold perfectly.

BamaFalcon59
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Hah about Klein.

Logan Thomas has a better chance of going number one than any of the guys being mentioned. You can't coach 6'6", 260, and athletic.

Poz51
06-07-2012, 10:14 AM

No, I like Wilson and Thomas better myself, I think Barkley is already at his ceiling or close to it, and is pretty much limilted to an WCO to be successful, and make the most out of his talent. If Wilson (road got harder w/Petrino situation) and Thomas continue to develop, and with thier upside I dont see how they are not duking it out for #1, unless a WC team like Seattle picks first, then Barkley comes into the conversation IMO.
This is how I see it right now in no particular order;
Barkely: At ceiling, arm/system limitiation, WCO QB, will accell in the right system.
Thomas: Biggest upside, Newton clone, physical skills set, needs to improve pocket passing.
Wilson: Tough (stands tall and delivers), big, accurate arm, can see development as season progressed. Coaching change affect?
Bray: Good arm talent, throws a great deep ball, tears zones apart, but inconsistant from play to play, not good under pressure mechanically.
Jones: Big arm, plenty of talent, accuracy is not consistant under pressure, gun-slinger type who trusts his arm to much. All over the place...

Knicks and Bucs
06-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Id like to see Tampa take Barkley, Wilson or Thomas. I think we can get one of those guys.

murdamal86
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm not a draft aficionado but i have Bray and Wilson above him....easily.

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Thomas is not a Newton clone folks. He's not nearly as athletic. He has decent speed but he is an effective runner due to his size, strength, and mentality. Pocket passer though at the NFL level.

Witten4HOF
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Brandon Jenkins is done for the season with a left leg injury... Wonder if he declares or redshirts.

tjsunstein
09-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Geno Smith is a senior... I wish I caught this earlier. Smith>Landry.

PossibleCabbage
09-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Thomas is not a Newton clone folks. He's not nearly as athletic. He has decent speed but he is an effective runner due to his size, strength, and mentality. Pocket passer though at the NFL level.

He's more like a bigger, slower Colin Kaepernick than a Newton clone.

MidwayMonster31
09-04-2012, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Geno Smith jumps into the top half of the first round after all is said and done. The system he played in is something he will have to hear about, but he is a solid runner and his passing has really improved over the year.
As for Thomas, he seemed like he was trying to place the ball today, compared to zipping the ball. He does have a big arm, but will still have to polish up the little things.

tjsunstein
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Geno Smith jumps into the top half of the first round after all is said and done. The system he played in is something he will have to hear about, but he is a solid runner and his passing has really improved over the year.
As for Thomas, he seemed like he was trying to place the ball today, compared to zipping the ball. He does have a big arm, but will still have to polish up the little things.

Geno is going to excel this year and with today's NFL, it really isn't as far off as people think as far as pro style offenses. Sure, its not ideal but his physical tools have improved and he isn't making many mistakes no matter how you look at it. WVU is looking more than ready for a big year and if they avoid those weird letdown games against far inferior opponents Geno should have the spotlight the whole way through into the bowl game. Depending on who they play, he might see his biggest defensive test there because no one on the schedule now looks like they can defend a competent offense.

SolidGold
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Hah about Klein.

Logan Thomas has a better chance of going number one than any of the guys being mentioned. You can't coach 6'6", 260, and athletic.

Logan Thomas looked pretty average last night - missed high on alot of passes and looks to be more of a plodder as a runner. Klein might have a chance to make some noise and move up draft board - both Thomas and Klein are similar players.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Matt Jones was 6'6" and athletic, does the fact that Thomas is about 15 lbs heavier mean he'll automatically be a better player?

Matt Jones got drafted before Aaron Rodgers, and the Jags asked him to be a WR.

6'6", 245, and athletic doesn't automatically make you a good football player. Maybe 6'6", 260, and athletic will. But first and foremost to get drafted highly as a quarterback, you have to be able to throw the ball well. Thomas didn't throw the ball particularly well week 1, but it's a long season.

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Logan Thomas reminds me a lot a Josh Freeman, similar build, arm, playing style, athleticism.

I'd say it's too early to project him as the 1/1 overall. Not enough there IMO in his total game.

SolidGold
09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Logan Thomas reminds me a lot a Josh Freeman, similar build, arm, playing style, athleticism.

I'd say it's too early to project him as the 1/1 overall. Not enough there IMO in his total game.

Freeman is a season away of being replaced IMO. He was overrated coming into the 2009 draft. This is a make or break season for him

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Freeman is a season away of being replaced IMO. He was overrated coming into the 2009 draft. This is a make or break season for him

WHy are some guys allowed to have bad seasons where they throw way too many damn picks, where other guys are ready to be kicked out of the league for INTs??

Freeman obviously turned the ball over too often last season, 22 picks, and didn't convert enough scoring plays through the air, only 16 TDs. But he still threw for more than 3500 yards and nearly 63% completions.

I agree if his 2012 season doesn't resemble his 2010 career year, his job as a starter is in jeopardy, but IMO it's not an accident his HC was fired.
Anyway, that's who Logan Thomas reminds me of, the 'good' Josh Freeman.