PDA

View Full Version : What does your team's nickel defense look like?

D-Unit
05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
With the ever more importance of the nickel defense in today's NFL, do a depth chart projection for what you envision your team doing in a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5 formation. I think this would stir a solid discussion. Go for it!

Brent
05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner

Don Vito
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
If I had my guess...

LE: Hightower/Ninkovich
DT: Fanene
DT: Wilfork
RE: C. Jones/T. Scott
LB: Mayo
LB: Fletcher
CB: McCourty
CB: Arrington
CB: Dowling
S: Chung
S: Gregory

I'd also look for Jake Bequette to get some looks early. We've lined up in so many different types of fronts, especially on passing downs, that it is hard to project but my best guess would be some formation of that personnel.

Monomach
05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
When the Bears go nickel, it's always 4-2-5, usually with these personnel:

LE Israel Idonije
NT Matt Toeiana
UT Henry Melton
RE Julius Peppers
WLB Lance Briggs
MLB Brian Urlacher
CB1 Charles Tillman
CB2 Tim Jennings
CB3 DJ Moore
FS Chris Conte
SS Major Wright

Theoretically, Shea McClellin is an every-down LE (:njx:), so I guess Idonije is out.

Major Wright sucks and has always been outperformed by Craig Steltz. I have no idea who gets that strong safety job. Maybe Hardin shocks everyone right out of the gate. Maybe they come to their senses and let Steltz play. Maybe they keep trotting Wright out there no matter how badly he fails (that's the typical Lovie Smith way of doing things).

If he's not a bust, Paea should beat out Toeiana for the lion's share of the snaps in the NT rotation...but I think he's going to be forced into UT, since they haven't replaced Okoye and Melton would lose his effectiveness if he's trying to play 1000 snaps a season.

Other than LE, SS, and NT, we have good personnel at every spot, so nothing else should see turnover.

Don Vito
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Henry Melton is going to be a force this year I think, so much physical ability and I think he's finally found a role/position where he can use his crazy talents properly.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Hard to predict with so many new comers on defense.

If I had to guess right now:

LE: Derrick Morgan
DT: Karl Klug
DT: Mike Martin
RE: Kamerion Wimbley
LB: Colin McCarthy
LB: Zach Brown
CB: Tommie Campbell
CB: Jason McCourty
NB: Alterraun Verner
S: Jordan Babineaux
S: Michael Griffin

I'm hoping Tommie Campbell shows enough to warrant taking over outside in NB situations and having Verner slide inside.

Also, Akeem Ayers could be a player at LB or DE. I hope Brown can help in the nickel, but Witherspoon may be there

Sportsfan486
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
The Packers play mostly Nickel, likely upwards of 80% of Defensive snaps this upcoming season, with a 2-4-5 alignment loosely based on a 3-4.

We usually line our DTs up as 2 or 3 techniques with the focus being on penetrating the backfield. Then we bring additional pressure mainly from the OLBs but also plenty of blitzes from one of the ILBs and the slot corner, who typically is more of a freelancing safety/corner/linebacker hybrid.

We focused on improving the talent to run this scheme in the draft and our likely depth chart looks like this.

LOLB: Nick Perry
DT: Jerel Worthy
DT:B.J Raji
ROLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: D.J. Smith
ILB: Desmond Bishop
CB: Sam Shields
CB: Tramon Williams
Slot CB: Casey Heyward
SS: Charles Woodson
FS: Morgan Burnett

The question marks on here would be one of the ILBs (position battle between A.J. Hawk/D.J. Smith and Terrell Manning) and whether we keep Woodson as our slot corner or move him to safety and plug in one of Casey Heyward/Devon House/Jarrett Bush. The rest of the depth chart is basically set, barring a huge disappointment by Worthy or Shields in the preseason.

gpngc
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM

S: Jonathan Babineaux

I'm hoping Tommie Campbell shows enough to warrant taking over outside in NB situations and having Verner slide inside.

Also, Akeem Ayers could be a player at LB or DE. I hope Brown can help in the nickel, but Witherspoon may be there

I hope not...

And here's the best:

DE: Chris Clemons
DT: Jason Jones
DT: Brandon Mebane
DE: Bruce Irvin
LB: LeRoy Hill/Barrett Ruud/Bobby Wagner
LB: K.J. Wright
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Brandon Browner
NB: Marcus Trufant
FS: Earl Thomas
SS: Kam Chancellor

Bulldogs
05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
DE: John Abraham
DT: Jonathan Babineaux
DT: Corey Peters
DE: Ray Edwards / Kroy Bierman
LB: Sean Weatherspoon
LB: Stephen Nicholas
CB: Asante Samuel
CB: Brent Grimes
NB: Dunta Robinson
FS: Thomas DeCoud
SS: William Moore

BaLLiN
05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
DE: Jason Pierre-Paul
DT: Chris Canty
DT: Linval Joseph
DE: Justin Tuck
LB: Jacquain Williams
LB: Michael Boley
CB: Corey Webster
CB: Prince Amukamara
CB/S: Terrell Thomas
S: Kenny Phillips
S: Antrel Rolle

Monomach
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Henry Melton is going to be a force this year I think, so much physical ability and I think he's finally found a role/position where he can use his crazy talents properly.

He's actually already a force. 7th-most QB pressures of all DTs last season. It's just going to take some time for people to recognize it.

Matthew Jones
05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm going to guess:

LE: Jonathan Fanene
UT: Myron Pryor
NT: Vince Wilfork
RE: Chandler Jones
WB: Jerod Mayo
SB: Dont'a Hightower
LCB: Devin McCourty
FS: Steve Gregory
SS: Patrick Chung
NCB: Kyle Arrington
RCB: Ras-I Dowling

Ravens1991
05-07-2012, 10:27 PM
DE-Suggs(I know he is hurt but if he was healthy)
DT-Ngata
DT-Pernell McPhee(This guy is a complete beast watch out for him in the future.)
DE-Paul kruger
LB-Jameel McClain
LB-Ray Lewis
CB-Lardarius Webb
CB-Jimmy Smith
CB-Cary Williams
FS-Ed Reed
SS-Bernard Pollard

That secondary is sick. The pass rush should be pretty good too if Suggs is healthy the latter part of the season. But man our LBs will be hurt in coverage.

scottyboy
05-07-2012, 10:29 PM

good lord I just popped a chub

TheBoyWonder22
05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
DT-Ngata
DT-Pernell McPhee(This guy is a complete beast watch out for him in the future.)
DE-Paul kruger
LB-Jameel McClain
LB-Ray Lewis
CB-Lardarius Webb
CB-Jimmy Smith
CB-Cary Williams
FS-Ed Reed
SS-Bernard Pollard

That secondary is sick. The pass rush should be pretty good too if Suggs is healthy the latter part of the season. But man our LBs will be hurt in coverage.
Are we gonna go Upshaw with Suggs out?

fenikz
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
UT Darnell Dockett
NT David Carter
LE Calais Campbell
ROLB O'Brien Schofield
MLB Daryl Washington
LOLB Sam Acho
CB Patrick Peterson
FS Kerry Rhodes
SS Adrian Wilson
NS Rashad Johnson
CB Jamell Fleming/Greg Toler

it's basically Rhodes at SS, Johnson at FS and Wilson as a Rover

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
RE - Cole
NT - Jenkins
UT - Cox
RE - Babin
LB - Brian Rolle
LB - Casey Matthews
CB - Nnamdi Asomugha
CB - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
CB - Joselio Hanson / Brandon Boykin
FS - Nate Allen
SS - Kurt Coleman / Jaiquawn Jarrett

Ravens1991
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Are we gonna go Upshaw with Suggs out?

I think its an open battle between Kindle/Upshaw/McCLlean for the spot opposite for Kruger. I think Kruger will get that spot he did get I believe 5.5 or 6.5 sacks as a situational rusher. I love how we have 4 young OLBs it should create a ton of competition for the starting spots.

ChiFan24
05-07-2012, 11:39 PM
RE Peppers
UT Melton
DT Paea
LE McClellin
LB Briggs
LB Urlacher
RC Tillman
LC Jennings
NC Moore
FS Conte
SS Wright

Pretty faptastic if you ask me.

marshallb
05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Vikings generally go 4-2-5: with Greenway and Erin Henderson staying in at LB, but every once in a while last year, they would go 3-3-5 with Everson Griffen standing up at LB replacing a DT. There are too many question marks with who will be starting at NT, SS, and NB, among other competitions that could change the likely starter that I won't list the lineup.

mightytitan9
05-08-2012, 12:12 AM
I hope not...

And here's the best:

LOL I noticed that after I sent it, it has been corrected

fenikz
05-08-2012, 12:13 AM
surprised to see only AZ runs a 3 safety nickle

Rosebud
05-08-2012, 12:15 AM

And that's just our base nickel with no Osi, no Kiwi and no Austin on the field.

The giants did with Grant and TT will likely play a lot of safety when we go into the nickel this year

Mufasa
05-08-2012, 12:27 AM
How's that surprising? You never really want to run a three safety set unless you're going prevent against a Hail Mary. Ideally you have three good corners you can throw out there. Not many teams actually have three good corners, so if your backup safety is that much better than your nickel corner it's worth a shot. It's something you want to avoid if possible though.

themaninblack
05-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Tough to do right now for the Bengals but here's my best guess:

DE- Micheal Johnson/Derrick Harvey
DT- Geno Atkins/Devon Still/Brandon Thompson
DT- Domata Peko/Pat Sims/Jamaal Anderson
DE- Carlos Dunlap/Robert Geathers

LB- Thomas Howard/Manny Lawson
LB- Rey Maualuga/Manny Lawson

NC- Adam Jones/Terrence Newman/Nate Clements/Brandon Ghee
CB1- Leon Hall/Terrence Newman/Brandon Ghee
CB2- Dre Kirkpatrick/Nate Clements/Adam Jones

FS- Reggie Nelson/Robert Sands
SS- Taylor Mays/Robert Sands/George Iloka

We used to run a bit of a 3 safety alignment with Crocker in there playing CB/S at times. I could see us using Nate Clements, Terrence Newman, or even Dre Kirkpatrick in that role. Really depends on how this training camp shakes out as far as who ends up being the #2(Dre hopefully), if Leon is back 100%, and who even makes the team. I could see Ghee, Newman, Clements, or Pac Man getting cut this offseason. CB is going to be a pretty interesting battle to follow.

D-Unit
05-08-2012, 03:03 AM
LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner
Did the Niners do anything in the offseason to add to that mix?

D-Unit
05-08-2012, 03:09 AM
If I had my guess...

LE: Hightower/Ninkovich
DT: Fanene
DT: Wilfork
RE: C. Jones/T. Scott
LB: Mayo
LB: Fletcher
CB: McCourty
CB: Arrington
CB: Dowling
S: Chung
S: Gregory

I'd also look for Jake Bequette to get some looks early. We've lined up in so many different types of fronts, especially on passing downs, that it is hard to project but my best guess would be some formation of that personnel.

I'm going to guess:

UT: Myron Pryor
WB: Jerod Mayo
SB: Dont'a Hightower
LCB: Devin McCourty
FS: Steve Gregory
SS: Patrick Chung
NCB: Kyle Arrington
RCB: Ras-I Dowling

Interesting that you guys have Hightower lined up differently. What's the logic between the 2 of you on how he will be used? Also, would Fanene really be used in the nickel with Wilfork? I could see one or the other but both seem like a not so good idea.

fenikz
05-08-2012, 03:12 AM
How's that surprising? You never really want to run a three safety set unless you're going prevent against a Hail Mary. Ideally you have three good corners you can throw out there. Not many teams actually have three good corners, so if your backup safety is that much better than your nickel corner it's worth a shot. It's something you want to avoid if possible though.

Generally speaking safeties are better in zone coverage don't see many/any teams going cover 0 on 3rd & 15

D-Unit
05-08-2012, 03:12 AM
The Packers play mostly Nickel, likely upwards of 80% of Defensive snaps this upcoming season, with a 2-4-5 alignment loosely based on a 3-4.

We usually line our DTs up as 2 or 3 techniques with the focus being on penetrating the backfield. Then we bring additional pressure mainly from the OLBs but also plenty of blitzes from one of the ILBs and the slot corner, who typically is more of a freelancing safety/corner/linebacker hybrid.

We focused on improving the talent to run this scheme in the draft and our likely depth chart looks like this.

LOLB: Nick Perry
DT: Jerel Worthy
DT:B.J Raji
ROLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: D.J. Smith
ILB: Desmond Bishop
CB: Sam Shields
CB: Tramon Williams
Slot CB: Casey Heyward
SS: Charles Woodson
FS: Morgan Burnett

The question marks on here would be one of the ILBs (position battle between A.J. Hawk/D.J. Smith and Terrell Manning) and whether we keep Woodson as our slot corner or move him to safety and plug in one of Casey Heyward/Devon House/Jarrett Bush. The rest of the depth chart is basically set, barring a huge disappointment by Worthy or Shields in the preseason.
Packers definitely appear to have attempted to upgrade their nickel D. I see 3 new faces in there. All good players.

D-Unit
05-08-2012, 03:14 AM
What is your preference? Having 4 DL who can all rush the passer or having a big NT who will eat up blocks and open for others?

Brent
05-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Re-signed Carlos Rogers? Trenton Robinson is probably going to end up as the top back-up safety, which Reggie Smith was last year. They drafted Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson for depth, so I imagine that Parys Haralson could be cut closer to the season starting.

Really not much to improve upon, other than the secondary's play. I think as a whole, the defense will be better, but not necessarily put up the same numbers.

AntoinCD
05-08-2012, 06:09 AM
The Pats tend to use multiple fronts in nickle situations and use their players in different ways as well. A few examples I can imagine

4-2-5;

RE: Andre Carter (Jones if Carter doesn't re-sign)
DT: Jonathan Fanene
DT: Vince Wilfork
LE: Chandler Jones (Trevor Scott if Carter doesn't re-sign)

LB: Dont'a Highotwer
LB: Jerod Mayo

CB: Devin McCourty
CB: Kyle Arrington
S: Pat Chung
S: Steve Gregory
CB: Ras-I Dowling

3-3-5;

LB: Dont'a Hightower
LB: Dane Fletcher
LB: Jerod Mayo

CB: Kyle Arrington
S: Devin McCourty
S: Pat Chung
S: Steve Gregory
CB: Ras-I Dowling

A few things to note;

LB Brandon Spikes isn't likely to play in nickle situations with the addition of Dont'a Hightower. Hightower, while not great in coverage, is better than Spikes and also offers more as an outside pass rusher.

BB has stated he views Chandler Jones as a perimeter player on defense. Now I don't see how Jones will play LB in 3-3-5 systems because he doesn't have the hip flexibility to stay consistently in coverage. I think he is likely to line up wide as a RE in a 3 man front.

The defensive backfield is in flux at the moment. It was rumoured that Devin McCourty would make the permanent move to S. However I think that is premature and with the recent additions at the position it is looking like BB will keep him at CB for now, however he is likely to move inside in big nickle situations.

Alfonzo Dennard is someone who may also see some playing time in the slot or at safety.

Rob Ninkovich seems like the odd man out with the Hightower pick but should still see plenty of the field.

Guys like Trevor Scott, Jake Bequette and Jermaine Cunningham (hopefully) should also rotate in with some of the pass rushers.

Dangermouse
05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
DE Elvis Dumervil
DT Robert Ayers
DT Derek Wolfe
DE Von Miller
LB DJ Williams
LB Wesley Woodyard
CB Champ Bailey
NCB Chris Harris
FS Mike Adams
SS Quinton Carter
CB Tracy Porter

Scary pass rush but a pretty average secondary outside of the Champ.

tjsunstein
05-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Packers definitely appear to have attempted to upgrade their nickel D. I see 3 new faces in there. All good players.

Our pass defense was ever so weak last year so there needed to be some changes. We could see Woodson in that slot role with McMillian at S depending on how he comes out of OTAs and training camp obviously. There is going to be a lot more versatility with this defense with Perry opening up a lot more for Matthews opposite of him. Its nice to finally have two capable passrushers (potentially, with Perry only being a rookie) since Kampman and KGB, if anyone remembers those days. We're going to see a much better D from GB this year, wishful thinking has my mind on the Top 5 defense from two years ago.

jojo
05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
What is your preference? Having 4 DL who can all rush the passer or having a big NT who will eat up blocks and open for others?

I'll see your 4 D-linemen & raise you one more rush backer/d-lineman on obvious 3rd & long downs, lol. I'm a big fan of rushing a minimum of 5 on those 3rd & very longs & using the 5 DBs only if you have a superior cover corner or FS to allow the nickel.

Kind of the old Buddy Ryan outnumber them at the weak protection point technique as modified by his son Rob moving our guy Ware around to whichever side the TE isn't, or their weakest blocker to avoid dbl-teaming him. I'm seeing more & more of this movement of the designated edge rusher as that position has become higher in recent drafts & more specialized.

If you're say, the 9ers & you have 2 good ILBs in Bowman & Willis you can play the modified 5-2-4. The really good quick release QBs like Eli & Brady get rid of it when they see 5 guys closing in, even on a 3-step drop, but if those 2 ILBs are quick enough & can range sideline to sideline they can keep the short zone or checkdown RB pass from getting to the marker.

Don Vito
05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I personally think we will see Dane Fletcher in on a lot of passing downs. Mayo is our strongest linebacker in coverage but Fletcher has the ability to make an impact there. Hightower is better suited than Spikes to play that nickle linebacker spot, but I think Fletcher would get some looks at that spot. Hightower could rush on those downs, not neccesarily with his hand in the ground but I think he could be an outside or rush guy on passing downs.

I would think Fanene would be playing inside in nickle type packages. We have a lot of players who could carve out different roles, but as Antoin was getting at it will be a lot clearer once Andre Carter's fate is decided. If he could come back and be the player he was last year that would be enormous for this team.

K Train
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
i literally have no idea how they plan on doing dline and LB combos for nickel packages, so many combos in our defense it is so opponent specific.

i think curtis brown replaces *** as the NB and cortez allen gets a lot of work over clark at FS in nickel defenses

BaLLiN
05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
And that's just our base nickel with no Osi, no Kiwi and no Austin on the field.

The giants did with Grant and TT will likely play a lot of safety when we go into the nickel this year

I would imagine that this would be our obvious passrushing downs nickel (3 WR set):

DE:Osi Umenyiora
DE:Justin Tuck
DT:Chris Canty/Marvin Austin/Shaun Rogers
DE:Jason Pierre Paul
DE/Rushbacker:Kiwanuka

LB:Michael Boley

CB:Corey Webster
CB/FS/Buffalo LB: Terrell Thomas
FS: Kenny Phillips
SS/Slot:Antrel Rolle

coordinator0
05-08-2012, 10:49 AM
DT-Ngata
DE-Paul kruger
LB-Jameel McClain
LB-Ray Lewis
CB-Lardarius Webb
CB-Jimmy Smith
CB-Cary Williams
FS-Ed Reed
SS-Bernard Pollard

Pretty much this. With Suggs being hurt I would shift Kruger over to his spot and replace him with Upshaw. Technically there's probably going to be a "competition" for the other OLB spot (or DE in this case) but I would be very surprised if Upshaw didn't win it. I'm fairly confident he would have started if Suggs was healthy. Ayanbadejo is the Ravens nickel LB, he replaces McClain.

Unbiased
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
RE Andre Branch
NT Terrance Knighton
UT Tyson Alualu
LE Jeremy Mincey
MLB Paul Posluszny
SLB Daryl Smith
RCB Rashean Mathis
NCB Aaron Ross
FS Dwight Lowery
SS Dawan Landry
LCB Derek Cox

So Clint Session comes out. Mathis and Ross are just guesses because they'll battle for starting outside position in training camp with the loser playing inside. Daryl Smith is the key. Best player on our defense and he's a really good pass rusher so they usually bring him with a blitz on 3rd down.

Go_Eagles77
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
RE - Cole
NT - Jenkins
UT - Cox
RE - Babin
LB - Brian Rolle
LB - Casey Matthews
CB - Nnamdi Asomugha
CB - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
CB - Joselio Hanson / Brandon Boykin
FS - Nate Allen
SS - Kurt Coleman / Jaiquawn Jarrett

The eagles view Demeco Ryans as a 3 down LB, so my guess is he will stay in during nickel. Also, I'm hoping Mychal Kendricks can be the other guy. Everything else looks good.

eaglesalltheway
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
The eagles view Demeco Ryans as a 3 down LB, so my guess is he will stay in during nickel. Also, I'm hoping Mychal Kendricks can be the other guy. Everything else looks good.

Kendricks doesn't quite have the chops in coverage yet for me to say he should be in for Nickel packages. I love the kid and I'm real excited he's here, but he needs some experience in the NFL in coverage. It wasn't the best part of his game in college. But I guess the only way you get experience is by playing, lol, so I could handle it. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Chaney in there for Nickel, as coverage is a stronger suit of his than it is Matthews'.

_YL_
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
DE - Matt Shaughnessy
DT - Tommy Kelly
DT - Richard Semour
DE - Desmond Bryant
LB - Rolando McClain
LB - Miles Burris
CB - Ron Bartell
CB - Shawntae Spencer
CB - DeMarcus Van Dyke
FS - Michael Huff
SS - Tyvon Branch

Before Oakland would bring in M.Mitchell and play him at the second LB spot and move Michael Huff to the 3rd CB. Not sure if they will move Huff around like that anymore.

A lot of Oakland fans might have Curry in there instead of Burris but I think Oakland is gonna do what ever they need to get him on the field.

VAfy-ya
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner

Rogers is over the slot in our nickel. Cully is on the outside.

Brent
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Rogers is over the slot in our nickel. Cully is on the outside.
My mistake. Admittedly I am a bit hazy on the details; typically, last season, I couldn't take my eyes off of The Smiths when the Niners were on D.

ChiFan24
05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
DE - Matt Shaughnessy
DT - Tommy Kelly
DT - Richard Semour
DE - Desmond Bryant
LB - Rolando McClain
LB - Miles Burris
CB - Ron Bartell
CB - Shawntae Spencer
CB - DeMarcus Van Dyke
FS - Michael Huff
SS - Tyvon Branch

Before Oakland would bring in M.Mitchell and play him at the second LB spot and move Michael Huff to the 3rd CB. Not sure if they will move Huff around like that anymore.

A lot of Oakland fans might have Curry in there instead of Burris but I think Oakland is gonna do what ever they need to get him on the field.

No Lamarr Houston?

phlysac
05-08-2012, 06:37 PM

What might you like to see them add? There's alot of really young depth that never sees the field.

XxXdragonXxX
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I hope not...

And here's the best:

DE: Chris Clemons
DT: Jason Jones
DT: Brandon Mebane
DE: Bruce Irvin
LB: LeRoy Hill/Barrett Ruud/Bobby Wagner
LB: K.J. Wright
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Brandon Browner
NB: Marcus Trufant
FS: Earl Thomas
SS: Kam Chancellor

Im not sure that Trufant will be in there over Thurmond. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Korey Toomer see time in the nickel defense.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Kendricks doesn't quite have the chops in coverage yet for me to say he should be in for Nickel packages. I love the kid and I'm real excited he's here, but he needs some experience in the NFL in coverage. It wasn't the best part of his game in college. But I guess the only way you get experience is by playing, lol, so I could handle it. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Chaney in there for Nickel, as coverage is a stronger suit of his than it is Matthews'.

Eh. Jamar Chaney was pretty awful all around last year. He's super stiff and doesn't change directions well. He actually lost his spot in the nickel defense late in the year to Casey Matthews whose coverage skills are an asset. With the additions of Kendricks and Ryans along with the presence of Rolle, Clayton, Jordan and Matthews I wouldn't be surprised if Chaney didn't see any snaps on obvious passing downs. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Chaney didn't have a roster spot next year, he was that bad. And Ryans and Kendricks kind of took his job(s).

VAfy-ya
05-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Generally speaking safeties are better in zone coverage don't see many/any teams going cover 0 on 3rd & 15

Well how about 3rd and 6? Against the better QBs, you will get eaten alive by just droping into zone coverage time after time. Its best to mix coverages. Throw in some man coverages, depending on formation and personel. CBs are generally better to disguise what your doing on the back-end. Especially if you have a CB like Charles Woodson, who can play safety and not miss a beat. If I see 3 safties on the field, Im going to automatically think zone or zone blitz because most safties in this league can't run with WRs. Hell, most of them can't run with the TEs now. Horton runs that LeBeau-styled zone blitz so I can see why the Cards use 3 safties but with most teams it just wouldnt work. Unless you posess a rare specimen at safety that can man up the slot as well as he can play in space. Very rare to find one of those.

Da-Phins
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
My guess it would be....

DE-Cam Wake
DT-Randy Starks
DT-Jared Odrick
DE-Olivier Vernon

LB- Kevin Burnett
LB- Karlos Dansby

CB-Sean Smith
CB-Vontae Davis
NB-Richard Marshall

S-Jimmy Wilson/Chris Clemons
S-Reshad Jones/Tyrell Johnson

Bobo
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM

I hope Ayers gets his pass rush attempts in Nickle now, leaving Morgan in usually in the base D. I can see Martin playing Nickle,he's far from just a NT. i wonder if Markelle Martin could maybe man the NB position? I'll be disappointed if Brown doesn't a least play Nickle right away. And wouldn't it be great if we found another 7th round CB steal?

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Lions Dline rotates alot so DE/DT could change
LE Avril/Willie Young
DT Suh
DT Williams/Fairley(hopefully he plays next to Suh more)
RE KVB/Lo Jack
MLB Tulloch
OLB DeAndre Levy
LCB Chris Houston
RCB Aaron Berry
NCB Jacob Lacey or Dwight Bentley
FS Louis Delmas
SS Amari Spievey

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

Lions were very good in 3rd down D last year making stops. Injuries to Houston,Delmas and Berry in the last quarter of season and playoff game really derailed the Lions. That D and back 7 is better than people think.

Fico
05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
OLB Barwin
DE Mercilus
NT Smith
DE Watt
OLB Reed

LB Cushing

CB Joseph
CB Jackson
NB Quinn
S Nolan
S Manning

onejayhawk
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Chiefs Nickel Package
LE: Dontari Poe (3-5 tecnhique)
RE: Allen Bailey (3-5 technique)
LOLB: Justin Houston
ILB: Derrick Johnson
ROLB: Tamba Hali
Jack: DeQuan Menzie/Jovan Belcher
CB: Brandon Flowers, Stanford Routt
NCB: Javier Arenas
SS: Eric Berry
FS: Kendrick Lewis

If Menzie is in, its a dime. Belcher either needs to step up his coverage skills, or the team will get another ILB for the nickel package.

J

Bills2083
05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
My guess for the Bills:

LE - Mario Williams
DT - Marcel Dareus
DT - Kyle Williams
RE - Mark Anderson
LB - Kelvin Sheppard
LB - Nick Barnett
LCB - Terrence McGee
NCB - Stephon Gilmore
RCB - Aaron Williams
FS - Jairus Byrd
SS - George Wilson

keylime_5
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
LDE-Jabaal Sheard
DT-Ahtyba Rubin
DT-Frostee Rucker/Billy Winn/John Hughes
DE-Juqua Parker
LB-D'Qwell Jackson
LB-Chris Gocong
CB-Joe Haden
SS-TJ Ward
FS-Usama Young
CB-Sheldon Brown
NB-Dimitri Patterson

OzTitan
05-14-2012, 05:39 PM

With Finnegan gone, I'm not sure who takes over at NB. I dunno if Verner fits it very well. Apparently some video on the Titans website hints that Coty Sensabaugh was drafted for the NB role. I dunno if Campbell breaks into any starting role this year. I also wonder if they'd have a outside guy on base packages (i.e. Verner) move inside with nickel - I'd think they'd prefer to keep who is outside consistent across all packages. I know Finny did this at times but he gave them that luxury - Verner is a decent CB but that sort of versatility seems more suited to a more experienced veteran.

And yeah, I believe Ayers is meant to be tried as a nickel DE. This probably hinges on how Morgan goes as a pass rusher - I suspect they think he is probably more a base 4-3 DE and might come out in nickel packages.

tmljeh19
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I'll give this a whirl for the skins

DE - Adam Carriker
NT - Jarvis Jenkins
DE - Stephen Bowen

LB - London Fletcher
LB - Ryan Kerrigan

CB - DeAngelo Hall
CB - Josh Wilson
NB - Cedric Griffin
SS - Brandon Meriweather
FS - Tanard Jackson

*note: I could 100% see Chase Minnifield as the starting NB on week one. Dude is super motivated to prove himself.

Jakey
05-15-2012, 12:11 PM
My guess(es)...

DT: Cameron Heyward
DT: Ziggy Hood

OLB: Lamarr Woodley
OLB: James Harrison

ILB: Lawrence Timmons
ILB: Sean Spence (eventually)

CB: Ike Taylor
CB: Keenan Lewis
CB: Curtis Brown/Cortez Allen

FS: Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu

(BIG NICKEL)

DE: Brett Keisel
DT: Alameda Ta'amu
DT: Ziggy Hood
DT: Cam Heyward

LB: Lawrence Timmons
LB: Larry Foote/Sean Spence/Stevenson Sylvester

NB: Ryan Mundy

DT: Cam Heyward
DT: Brett Keisel

OLB: James Harrison
OLB: Lamarr Woodley

ILB: Lawrence Timmons

NB: Curtis Brown
DB: Cortez Allen

scar988
05-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Falcons:
LE - Sidbury
NT - Babineaux
UT - Edwards
RE - Abraham
LB - Weatherspoon
LB - Nicholas
LCB - Samuel
RCB - Grimes
NCB - Robinson
FS - Decoud
SS - Moore

Pat Sims 90
05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
This is how i see the Bengals going into the season.

LE: Michael Johnson
NT: Devon Still
UT: Geno Atkins
RE: Carlos Dunlap
LB: Thomas Howard
LB: Manny Lawson
LCB: Leon Hall
RCB: Dre Kirkpatrick
NCB: Jason Allen
FS: Reggie Nelson
SS: Taylor Mays

Phins827
05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
My guess it would be....

DE-Cam Wake
DT-Randy Starks
DT-Jared Odrick
DE-Olivier Vernon

LB- Kevin Burnett
LB- Karlos Dansby

CB-Sean Smith
CB-Vontae Davis
NB-Richard Marshall

S-Jimmy Wilson/Chris Clemons
S-Reshad Jones/Tyrell Johnson

100% agreed

Bobo
05-16-2012, 01:23 AM
With Finnegan gone, I'm not sure who takes over at NB. I dunno if Verner fits it very well. Apparently some video on the Titans website hints that Coty Sensabaugh was drafted for the NB role. I dunno if Campbell breaks into any starting role this year. I also wonder if they'd have a outside guy on base packages (i.e. Verner) move inside with nickel - I'd think they'd prefer to keep who is outside consistent across all packages. I know Finny did this at times but he gave them that luxury - Verner is a decent CB but that sort of versatility seems more suited to a more experienced veteran.

And yeah, I believe Ayers is meant to be tried as a nickel DE. This probably hinges on how Morgan goes as a pass rusher - I suspect they think he is probably more a base 4-3 DE and might come out in nickel packages.

Verner got plenty of NB reps his rookie year, I thought he was good there. He's played inside and out so I'd say he somewhat got "vet" status now, at least with the roster we have. I think they'd want Coty to learn mostly one position his rookie year, and I'd guess NB since that seems the norm around here. So maybe Verner stays outside if they feel Coty can play right away inside.

Campbell's size and speed keep us all hopeful I guess, but I wonder if they'd try him at S.

It'll be tragic if they don't put Ayers hand in the dirt more this year. He's got skills there and we obviously need all the pass rush help we can get. They have said they will use him there more this year, so that's encouraging at least.

Morgan did lead the team in QBH's last year even if he only had like 2.5 sacks. He was coming on later in the year, they said he was settling in from the ACL. I imagine they still want to try him some in pass rush situations.

TheFinisher
05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
My best guess for Dallas

RE: D Ware
DT: Ratliff
LE: Spencer/Tyrone Crawford

LB: Sean Lee
LB: Bruce Carter

LCB: Brandon Carr
RCB: Morris Claiborne
NB: Mike Jenkins

SS: Gerald Sensabaugh
FS: Brodney Pool
Rover: Orlando Scandrick

Technically not a nickel D but Rob Ryan perfers DBs/LBs on the field as opposed to DL on passing downs. He also likes to mix it up and group stange personel combos in different packages where we could have 0 DL and 6 LBs and 5 DBs, Victor Butler is a pass rush specialist who gets moved around a lot and I have a feeling 4th round picks Kyle Wilber and Matt Johnson will find some kind of hybrid roles in some packages. But as for our base pass D I'd have to assume hed go with the above look. Scandrick will be a wildcard, he's played S, NCB, and has been a nice blitz option for us from the secondary... Rob will probably get real creative with Scandrick now that he has Mo and Carr to man up on the outsides.