PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Mr. Goosemahn
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
If you’d like a thread about a prospect of your choosing, just send me a PM and I’ll make it ASAP!

QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma

#12 - 6'4 – 229 lbs. – 23 years old

http://deportesemanal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Landry-Jones-275x300.jpg

8aM6Nq2gPh8

qac9H0SbZf4

vUBfJUVLhpI

aLms-PwGvys

5q_w0LJNm3E

KxkHVv-J5n4

What do you guys think of him? Franchise QB candidate?

-------------------------

Previous Prospects of the Day

QB Matt Barkley, USC (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52765)
CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52787)
RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52812)
RB Cameron Marshall, Arizona State (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52840)
NT Star Lotulelei, Utah (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52841)
DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52863)
LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52870)
S T.J. McDonald, USC (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52885)
QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52933)

vidae
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Over.. rated! clap clap clapclapclap! Over.. rated! clap clap clapclapclap.

Iamcanadian
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
If he has a solid season, no one will care what he did as a junior and he is quite capable of doing just that. You'd be surprised how many great NFL QB's had poor junior years only to rebound substantially as a senior and go on to have fine pro careers.

Raiderz4Life
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

I agree-ee-ee-ee clap clap clap clap!!

I came in just to say what Vid said, kid is overrated.

princefielder28
05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
If there are any Jones supporters out there, the question I have for them is what does he do that's special or exceptional?

Big Bird
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Why is this kid overrated? I just don't get why people hate on him so much.

I need to do so more in-depth tape study on him, but what I've seen so far, I love. He is the complete package as a quarterback. Nobody in this class has the arm talent this kid has. Landry is a great prospect, much better than Barkley in my opinion, who is truly overrated.

Landry isn't a statue in the pocket by any means. Is he "mobile"? Not exactly, but he can escape pressure and has shown the ability to step up in the pocket and sidestep pressure. That's something Barkley has struggled with, who takes too many false steps and doesn't throw with conviction.

Is Oklahoma's system slightly scary? Yes. But the Oklahoma system isn't Houston. They have a lot of creative underneath screens but when they aren't doing that, it's a lot of vertical spread, kind of similar to what Matt Ryan was running at Boston College (whom I compare Landry to).

Landry's footwork is solid overall. Needs some fine tuning, but certainly not terrible. The guy has shown great intermediate and deep accuracy, though his deep ball does get a little off at times, he never massively misses like I've seen from Barkley countless times.

I know it's only Ball State, but I do suggest looking at this footage:
http://youtu.be/j03RHG-IHMk

Again, yes, it's only Ball State. But look at the stick throws that he makes just simply all over the field. He tore the Cardinals up due to his great arm and poise (and because Oklahoma is a lot better).

It just doesn't seem that people have a real reason to doubt this guy. His interceptions are Matt Ryan type of interceptions, just trying to do too much at times. That's not necessarily terrible. I'm more worried about a prospect who is throwing picks due to a lack of arm strength or accuracy. That's not why Landry has thrown picks. The guy is a gunslinger, which you need to be in the NFL. He has confidence in his arm and isn't afraid to use it.

Dangermouse
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Mid rounder

Big Bird
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Mid rounder
Why? Or are we just going to see another bland statement declaring this guy isn't a 1st rounder with no backing to it?

I have yet to see a single Landry Jones doubter actually give a reasoning to doubting him...

holt_bruce81
05-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Why? Or are we just going to see another bland statement declaring this guy isn't a 1st rounder with no backing to it?

I have yet to see a single Landry Jones doubter actually give a reasoning to doubting him...

He's really not that accurate on throws outside of 5-yards. And IMO he gets flustered to easily. Right now I wouldn't touch him in the first 2 rounds.

Big Bird
05-11-2012, 07:32 PM
He's really not that accurate on throws outside of 5-yards. And IMO he gets flustered to easily. Right now I wouldn't touch him in the first 2 rounds.
So you had Ryan Tannehill as a top 20 prospect, who's accuracy was incredibly erratic, but don't think Landry Jones even belongs in the first two rounds?

I don't get how people say the guy is inaccurate down field yet praise Matt Barkley. Barkley constantly misses wide receivers deep. And it's not by a little, his passes are all over the place. Landry makes great stick throws constantly though.

FUNBUNCHER
05-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice arm. Dallas will draft him and groom him to be Romo's backup. He needs to clean up his overall game next season and play up to his hype.

He's not a guy I would select to start as a rookie, but Jones is a great developmental guy you peg to start later in his career.

Matt Schaub level athlete with a bigger arm.

killxswitch
05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I want to see how he does feeling pressure in the pocket and making decisions under fire this year.

Dangermouse
05-12-2012, 05:46 PM

He just throws swings, screens and the occasional 2 yard slant. Incredibly simplified offense, bad temperament and no arm. Poor man's Kellen Moore.

FUNBUNCHER
05-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Landry Jones hasn't played consistent good football since 2010, which is why people are doubting his upside.

If Jones doesn't have a bang up senior year, he's going to slide IMO.
Poor man's Kellen Moore??lol.

I give Jones credit because he does have an arm, but he's just not playing good football right now.

Big Bird
05-12-2012, 06:23 PM
He just throws swings, screens and the occasional 2 yard slant. Incredibly simplified offense, bad temperament and no arm. Poor man's Kellen Moore.
Are you serious? Landry Jones has one of the best arms in the class. The comparison you just made is a complete joke.

:gtfo:

Dangermouse
05-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you serious? Landry Jones has one of the best arms in the class. The comparison you just made is a complete joke.

:gtfo:

If he has a big arm then I'm yet to see it. He just looks like a shotgun check down guy to me.

I haven't watched a great deal of tape yet but I certainly haven't seen any of those 60 yarders that Barkley makes with ease.

Raiderz4Life
05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm not a Landry fan but poor man's Kellen Moore? No way.

SickwithIt1010
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I feel like the Kellen Moore statement was sarcasm...maybe? lol.

But for having such a HUGE arm, OU doesnt seem to let him throw the ball down the field.

Bubble, bubble, dig screen, slant, bubble, bubble, slant, dig screen.

SenorGato
05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I get the feeling I'll like him more than I "should" when I actually do watch him. The contrarian in me says he's probably being slept on right now. I liked him early on his career, but stopped watching because my team has its own struggling young QB to eat up time.

Big Bird
05-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I feel like the Kellen Moore statement was sarcasm...maybe? lol.

But for having such a HUGE arm, OU doesnt seem to let him throw the ball down the field.

Bubble, bubble, dig screen, slant, bubble, bubble, slant, dig screen.
You do realize it's the same exact offense Sam Bradford played in, correct?

Teams don't change their schemes for players. Sorry, doesn't happen. They still do throw down field. They use the short game to set-up the deep game. They use it to the same effect other teams use their running games.

Raiderz4Life
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
You do realize it's the same exact offense Sam Bradford played in, correct?

Teams don't change their schemes for players. Sorry, doesn't happen. They still do throw down field. They use the short game to set-up the deep game. They use it to the same effect other teams use their running games.

How good has Bradford been with STL?

descendency
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Why is this kid overrated? I just don't get why people hate on him so much.

His college coaches don't trust him in the red zone. Why should an NFL team?

Big Bird
05-12-2012, 08:10 PM
How good has Bradford been with STL?
Not saying he has been great, but the guy was the 1st overall pick.

His college coaches don't trust him in the red zone. Why should an NFL team?
They don't trust a guy who has 39-3 TD-INT ratio in the redzone the past two seasons? They like to put Bell in because they tire teams out with their spread during drives and Bell pounds it in.

Bell had as many completions as interceptions last year. It's not a matter of not trusting Landry or thinking Bell is a superior quarterback.

onejayhawk
05-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Not anymore. He was never close to a top 10 talent, but people are no talking day 3.

You dont need those comparisons. Watch him in conference last season, when he went head to head with three 1st round QBs. His arm is OK, maybe a bit better. About like Barkley.

J

FUNBUNCHER
05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Jones arm strength is far superior to Barkley's. It's the rest of Landry Jones game that's the problem.

If it was just arm strength that made someone an elite prospect, Jones would have been a top 5 pick this past April.

Big Bird
05-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Jones arm strength is far superior to Barkley's. It's the rest of Landry Jones game that's the problem.
That's really the biggest thing I've been trying to stress is how good Landry Jones arm is. Basically everybody here is writing the guy off when he still has yet to play his senior season. Matt Ryan went from 15 TD's to 10 INT's as a junior to 3rd overall pick as a senior. Landry's arm is at least on level with Ryan.

I see a lot of similarities in there games. Again, Landry struggled at points last year, yes. But the guy flashes big time talent. People want to rip him for struggling a bit after losing his number one wide receiver and the NCAA's all-time leader in receptions mid-season? A quarterback struggling after his top receiver gets hurt is unheard of? Troy Aikman had 7 touchdowns in the first three games of the 1999 season. Michael Irvin got hurt in the fourth game. Aikman throws two touchdowns in the next four games. The last four games of the season, once Aikman has gotten more time under his belt in game situations with the other receivers, Aikman throws 6 touchdowns.

Landry Jones has things to work on. But the guy has a great arm and can make all the throws. To write him off because he struggled after losing his go-to guy for two and half years is a little ridiculous. All the talent is clearly there and he has this whole season to show whether or not he has improved and worked on his game. Again, to write somebody off with the talent level that he has before he has played a snap of his senior season is absolutely ridiculous.

onejayhawk
05-13-2012, 11:15 PM

If it was just arm strength that made someone an elite prospect, Jones would have been a top 5 pick this past April.

His arm is a pale shadow of Tannehill's, and far short of RG III and even Weeden. It is a solid arm, but it is not that good.

J

jth1331
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
His arm is a pale shadow of Tannehill's, and far short of RG III and even Weeden. It is a solid arm, but it is not that good.

J

What?
Seriously, I swear people think Landry has a noodle arm I guess.
Landry has some things to work on, but a lot of QB prospects do. Tannehil for instance?
Landry has a lot to like about his game, and just needs to hone it with coaching at the Pro level before taking over the reigns.

SenorGato
05-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Seriously a touted guy being talked about so negatively based on very little...I think his wagon fills up during the season if he stays healthy. Tools are not an issue.

D-Unit
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
A popular name that seems to get bashed on. Nevertheless, I think he's a 1st round pick for some team.

onejayhawk
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
What?
Seriously, I swear people think Landry has a noodle arm I guess.
Landry has some things to work on, but a lot of QB prospects do. Tannehil for instance?
Landry has a lot to like about his game, and just needs to hone it with coaching at the Pro level before taking over the reigns.

Reread what I said. Tannehill had the best arm in the last draft class. Landry has a good arm. And yes, there is a lot to like about his game. At this point he has been dumped on so much he may be under rated.

None of above should be interpreted to mean I consider Landry a top 10 pick, but also not a day 3 pick. Some where in the 20 -100 range is close enough for now.

J

A Perfect Score
05-14-2012, 06:41 PM
He goes in the first round IMO, but it'll be behind Barkley, Tyler Wilson and Bray (if he declares).

Leon Sandcastle
05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I want to see how he does feeling pressure in the pocket and making decisions under fire this year.

This is my biggest question mark concerning Landry. Gets happy feet way too much for my liking.

Still think he can be a 1st Rounder but I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to the 2nd-3rd either.

Brent
05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm a fan :\

SolidGold
05-15-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm a fan :\

me too (10 char)

Bixby (Thumper)
05-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Landry Jones is available in every draft. He's not special but he's not a bum either. You all remember Ryan Lindley last year? Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Landry Jones. A guy with his skill set is available every year.

On the surface of things you've got a big guy with a strong arm who can make all of the throws; he passes the eye test. But he's athletically limited. Not very good at sliding around the pocket. Needs functional space to step into throws. Struggles when throwing on the move. Can't establish new throwing platforms and doesn't get the ball off at different arm angles. He's squeaky clean off the field and I'm sure he'll interview just fine so he's got that going for him.

If you're running an offense with lots of vertical routes like the Chargers, Cardinals or the Steelers, Landry Jones is a fit as far as skill set is concerned. Teams like that will place a higher premium on Jones because of his arm.

But my big concerns with him are mental. When Broyles got hurt he looked like a fish out of water, he was holding the ball too long, he looked really bad under pressure and his decision making was far worse. Look at his production when Ryan Broyles got hurt: 1114 yards, 6.4 YPA, 59.7%, 1 TD and 6 INTs. Plus there's the Belldozer. He also had some real stinkers in big games last year, he doesn't appear to be real mentally tough.

Coming out of Oklahoma with great production combined with his squeaky all american background and his arm strength would likely get him picked in the second or third round if the draft was held today. I think he's pretty clearly behind Thomas, Bray, Wilson, Glennon, Smith and Manuel at this point.

onejayhawk
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Comparing Lindley to Landry is really far off base.

J

FUNBUNCHER
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Comparing Lindley to Landry is really far off base.

J

LOL. Or Derek Anderson. Or John Skelton.

Landry Jones was a stud in 2010. I don't know what happened to him last season.

SolidGold
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Jones is much further ahead than EJ Manual/Logan Thomas/Mike Glennon/Tyler Bray. He should be the third QB off the board behind Barkley and Wilson.

Raiderz4Life
05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Jones is much further ahead than EJ Manual/Logan Thomas/Mike Glennon/Tyler Bray. He should be the third QB off the board behind Barkley and Wilson.

I'd put my money on Bray passing him and I wouldn't be surprised if Logan managed to pass him as well.

Iamcanadian
05-19-2012, 06:00 AM

He has talent but he will need an excellent senior season to move back up draft boards. He has a real shot to be the 2nd QB chosen just behind Barkley and still in the top 5 but he needs a good final year.

jth1331
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Just wanted to make a comment on Landry here, I am no way saying he will be a top pick, I do feel he will be a 1st rounder, but I just think he will come in and become a great QB down the line. Get drafted probably mid to late round 1 to a team that will sit him most likely, have him get adjusted and coach him up, and then he can come in and be a really good QB for some team. No, he won't be passing for 35+ TD's or routinely for over 4500+ yards, I'm thinking I guess stats wise more along the lines of Matt Ryan.
Going to be interesting to see how he performs this year though.

SolidGold
08-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to make a comment on Landry here, I am no way saying he will be a top pick, I do feel he will be a 1st rounder, but I just think he will come in and become a great QB down the line. Get drafted probably mid to late round 1 to a team that will sit him most likely, have him get adjusted and coach him up, and then he can come in and be a really good QB for some team. No, he won't be passing for 35+ TD's or routinely for over 4500+ yards, I'm thinking I guess stats wise more along the lines of Matt Ryan.
Going to be interesting to see how he performs this year though.

I agree. Especially playing in the spread offense at Oklahoma - that should help him with all spread used in the NFL. He needs to prove he can be a good QB without Broyles - once he was lost Jones performance faltered. He does have the prototypical size and arm strength, has good production but needs to cut down on INTs. Mid first round is the highest he will go.

I was surprised he did not come out last year since the Belldozer is going to take away redzone snaps from him.

soybean
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
The problem I have with him isn't so much him per se as it is oklahoma. I just feel like they don't adequately prepare you for the NFL. I was watching the Rams vs. Cowyboys game replay and it was painfully obvious he's still stuck in the Oklahoma spread 5 receiver set offense.

The offense doesn't require you to make too many reads.

The reason Andrew Luck is so good isn't because he's faster, stronger or more accurate than every other qb out there. It's because he makes his reads and makes the right throw, regardless of interceptions.

When you're given a play call from the HC or OC, you don't know where you're going to throw the ball. You only have a set list of options. If the throw isn't there, don't throw it. If you're already predetermined where you're going with the ball before it's even snapped, you're gonna have a bad time.

holt_bruce81
08-29-2012, 02:40 AM
The problem I have with him isn't so much him per se as it is oklahoma. I just feel like they don't adequately prepare you for the NFL. I was watching the Rams vs. Cowyboys game replay and it was painfully obvious he's still stuck in the Oklahoma spread 5 receiver set offense.

The offense doesn't require you to make too many reads.

The reason Andrew Luck is so good isn't because he's faster, stronger or more accurate than every other qb out there. It's because he makes his reads and makes the right throw, regardless of interceptions.

When you're given a play call from the HC or OC, you don't know where you're going to throw the ball. You only have a set list of options. If the throw isn't there, don't throw it. If you're already predetermined where you're going with the ball before it's even snapped, you're gonna have a bad time.

Or maybe because it's Bradford's 3rd offense in 3 seasons ans he's not yet comfortable in it.

duesouth
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM

I think this is the big thing for him. When Florida State took away Broyles on the quick swing passes he was unable to calmly go through his progressions and looked poor. At times he doesn't reset his feet going when he has to go to his second target - then the accuracy suffers. Also, he doesn't always step into his throws - again accuracy is then a problem.

He doesn't have a great deal of talent returning at WR outside of Kenny Stills - his Center has retired and it will be a new LT. Will be very interested to see how he does this year. He's got some tools - but he's not as good as Bradford at this stage of his career and think he's 2/3 years away from starting in the NFL. Of course I didn't think Weeden or Tannehill were rookie starters and they've both been handed starting gigs on a plate!!

SchizophrenicBatman
09-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Jones is a UDFA on my board. I've seen him enough to know he's not going to be a good NFL quarterback and that's all I need to know. Total waste of time to have him on your roster

SolidGold
09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
meh I like him. He has the size/arm strength that coaches want at the position.

descendency
09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I think this is the big thing for him. When Florida State took away Broyles on the quick swing passes he was unable to calmly go through his progressions and looked poor. At times he doesn't reset his feet going when he has to go to his second target - then the accuracy suffers. Also, he doesn't always step into his throws - again accuracy is then a problem.

That's basically how most Oklahoma QBs are.

PossibleCabbage
09-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I think the haters hate him too much, and the lovers love him too much. My personal take on Jones is a resounding "meh".

Shouldn't be a top pick, but he could do just fine if he lands in a good situation. He should certainly be in the round 1-2 range.

I mean, I like Landry Jones a lot more than I liked Osweiler, and Osweiler went in the second round.

jth1331
09-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I wanted update what I said earlier.
Jones completely lacks pocket presence, it is absolutely pitiful.
He gets happy feet, decides to scramble deeper behind the LOS, which resulted in a KState TD btw.
Does he have a good arm? Yes
Does he have good accuracy? Yes
Does he have decent mobility? Yes
Is he capable of evolving into making good decisions? Yes and No
But that pocket presence is just horrible. If he gets that straightened out, he could become a solid QB in the league, but thats a big if.

BeardedOne
09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Is this guy a more physically gifted Matt Cassel? The only times Cassel plays well is when he has plenty and weapons and virtually no pressure in his face.

bucfan12
09-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Is this guy a more physically gifted Matt Cassel? The only times Cassel plays well is when he has plenty and weapons and virtually no pressure in his face.

Thats almost 99% of the nfl, except Josh Freeman