PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Picks in 2013 NFL Draft?

Matthew Jones
05-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Forgive me if this topic has been made before but I thought it would be interesting to see which teams you all thought would hold the top five picks in next year's draft; who have you got picking in the first five slots? I'm thinking something along these lines:

Cleveland Browns

Tough division, one of the most brutal strength-of-schedules, and a rookie quarterback who didn't appear NFL-ready in college.

Minnesota Vikings

Many of Minnesota's best offensive players have been unable to stay healthy and they will have a hard time winning any of the games within their division.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Mike Mularkey and Justin Blackmon may be able to improve Blaine Gabbert's play but there's still a lot of work to be done with the Jaguars.

Indianapolis Colts

Andrew Luck will certainly help but the Colts have are in too much flux to contend immediately; Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie.

Arizona Cardinals

Arizona had a pretty strong draft but unless Kevin Kolb improves substantially they will have have one of the league's weakest starting QBs.

Iamcanadian
05-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Forgive me if this topic has been made before but I thought it would be interesting to see which teams you all thought would hold the top five picks in next year's draft; who have you got picking in the first five slots? I'm thinking something along these lines:

Cleveland Browns

Tough division, one of the most brutal strength-of-schedules, and a rookie quarterback who didn't appear NFL-ready in college.

Minnesota Vikings

Many of Minnesota's best offensive players have been unable to stay healthy and they will have a hard time winning any of the games within their division.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Mike Mularkey and Justin Blackmon may be able to improve Blaine Gabbert's play but there's still a lot of work to be done with the Jaguars.

Indianapolis Colts

Andrew Luck will certainly help but the Colts have are in too much flux to contend immediately; Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie.

Arizona Cardinals

Arizona had a pretty strong draft but unless Kevin Kolb improves substantially they will have have one of the league's weakest starting QBs.

I agree with the first 4 but I doubt Ariz rates there. They won 7 of their last 9 games and seemed to be coming together with a great defense at least.

I'd add Miami for sure and maybe Oakland.

Scotty D
05-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Not in order

Dolphins
Redskins (Rams)
Colts
Rams
Jaguars

-Not a fan of Bradford. Stephen Jackson is going to break down very soon. What if the Rams end up with two top 5 picks? Barkley/Woods to STL?

-Probably sleeping on the Redskins. I think Luck and Griffin will show flashes but their teams are in for a long year.
-

Dangermouse
05-12-2012, 05:21 AM
I think the Colts offense carries them to 7 or 8 wins alone. Their front 7 isn't too bad but their secondary sucks so I see a lot of shootouts.

Arizona should be pretty decent as well I do like Kevin Kolb.

Scotty D
05-12-2012, 05:34 AM
I think the Colts offense carries them to 7 or 8 wins alone. Their front 7 isn't too bad but their secondary sucks so I see a lot of shootouts.

I was shocked the Colts kept Reggie Wayne around but I don't think the offense will be as good as you say. Weak offensive line, rookie QB and two rookie TEs, with a below average running game. Maybe I'm underrating Andrew Luck but I just don't see it.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Without looking at schedules I'd say the Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams are the four worst teams in the league. The cupboards are pretty bare there IMO.

And usually teams that draft #1 weren't awful the year before. Of the past ten teams that were slotted at #1, only one had a top 5 pick the year before (Rams) and only three others were top 10 (Bengals [10th], Dolphins [9th], Raiders [7th]). The past ten teams that picked #1 were, on average, drafting at the 12th spot the year prior.

Underdog team to pick #1, the Arizona Cardinals.
-I go back and forth with the Cardinals. One day I think they'll be fine and finish similarly to last year and the next I think they're going to be awful. I can't make up my mind. Their QB situation is average at best. They've got no semblance of a running game (Wells is always banged up, Williams is coming off an ACL injury). Their offensive line is horrendous. They won a lot of close games last year and that typically doesn't carry over year to year. The defense is pretty thin and who is going to play across from Peterson? Toler?

Bixby (Thumper)
05-12-2012, 06:12 AM
I was shocked the Colts kept Reggie Wayne around but I don't think the offense will be as good as you say. Weak offensive line, rookie QB and two rookie TEs, with a below average running game. Maybe I'm underrating Andrew Luck but I just don't see it.

One thing I don't get when people criticize the Colts is why they say their offensive line is weak. I mean they were blocking for Curtis Painter who was just horrendous. Andrew Luck most assuredly has better command of the pocket than Painter. Second, I don't think a line of Castonzo (LT) - McGlynn (LG) - Satele (C) - Ijalana (RG) - Justice (RT) is that bad, there are worse lines in the NFL.

JPF
05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Jacksonville- still a lot of work to do, Blackmon helps but they're still in flux.

Miami- not sold on Tannehill, or Moore, or Garrard coming back from a year off. They also have no real receiving threats that will keep opposing DC's up at night.

Cleveland- still no real receiving threat and a rookie QB starting in a division with the Ravens & Steelers defenses.

San Diego- just kinda feel like they've let too much talent leave the past few years. (not sure I really believe this but didn't want to just list the same teams everyone else was)

Minnesota- Ponder still developing, AP health questions, no scary threat in the passing game other than Harvin who himself is a health question...

Sloopy
05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Cleveland Browns

Minnesota Vikings

Jacksonville Jaguars

Indianapolis Colts

Arizona Cardinals

Jags Indi and Arizona are all in tough positions, but they don't exactly play in tough divisions. In fact, the Cards have the possibility of winning a weak NFC West.

Cleveland might be a bit improved but probably finishes last in the division and without many wins.

Minnesota plays in arguably the toughest division of the group and likely won't make any progress with Peterson going down. While Kalil will be a valuable piece for the future, I don't think their offense will be much improved because of him.

End of the day I think we see Minnesota and Cleveland in the top 2 but if I had to choose I'd say Minnesota.

Flyboy
05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm going to go with...

Colts
Browns
Jacksonville
Vikings
Raiders

fenikz
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
If the Cardinals have the #1 pick I will leave the board until draft day, JBond can do the honors

I was gonna say forever but stranger **** has happened

OSUGiants17
05-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Jaguars no doubt about it

EDIT: Didn't fully read thought it was just pick #1.
Here are my 5:
1. Jaguars
2. Browns
3. Raiders
4. Colts
5. Seahawks

SF Dolphin Fan
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
That's a good list except possibly for Arizona. Their division is still pretty weak (improving) so who knows. Miami probably won't be top 5, but probably top 10. I think they are building toward 2014. The Jets could surprise and pick higher than people expect as well. The AFC East is very tough and Buffalo may be the 2nd best team in that division. Oakland could pick top 5 as well. The Raiders are always hard to predict.

Raiderz4Life
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Some of you are bonkers.

Oakland will probably be in the top 10-15 for sure. But we're not bad enough to be top 5.

jared3
05-12-2012, 02:23 PM
1. Jacksonville Jaguars
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Minnesota Vikings
5. Miami Dolphins
6. Seattle Seahawks
7. Washington Redskins (St. Louis Rams)
8. Oakland Raiders
9. St. Louis Rams
10. Tampa Bay Bucs or Carolina Panthers

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Very puzzling to see Oakland get so many mentions. Al Davis' death is good for at least and extra 2 wins alone.

Palmer is an up and down QB, no doubt. But he has some really nice ups, and a great rapport with a very good deep threat in Denarius Moore. Not to mention some decent complimentary receivers, including some very strong receiving backs.

McFadden's durability is the team's biggest question mark, with the CB position a close second. But a top 5 pick? That's really absurd.

Same for the Cardinals. Their offense will score points, and their division as a whole isn't scaring anyone. John Skelton could easily supplant Kevin Kolb and see this team Gump their way into a .500 season.

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Jaguars make sense. Their QB situation is abysmal.

The Colts could very well fight their way out of the top 5, but it will be a struggle. Outside of their two edge rushers, their front 7 is in pretty bad shape.

The Browns are a contender.

The Jets meltdown could very easily reach completion this year. That locker room is a mess, and the Tebow circus was the last thing they needed.

Seattle wouldn't be a huge surprise.

dannyz
05-12-2012, 04:30 PM
What if the Browns get the Pick? Do they get rid of Weeden? I would say so because Barkley/Bray/Thomas are all better than Weeden and I think the Fans would be really mad if they passed on a Matt Barkley who might be the Heisman Winner and a National Champion just to build around a 30 Year Old Second Year QB.

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
You can't just keep drafting QBs in the 1st round year after year. The Browns certainly would not draft another QB. That would be even more comical than taking Weeden in the 1st this year.

OSUGiants17
05-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I hate how no team can deal with people saying their team will suck. Just cause you are a fan doesn't mean they will be good.

Dangermouse
05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Very puzzling to see Oakland get so many mentions. Al Davis' death is good for at least and extra 2 wins alone.

Palmer is an up and down QB, no doubt. But he has some really nice ups, and a great rapport with a very good deep threat in Denarius Moore. Not to mention some decent complimentary receivers, including some very strong receiving backs.

McFadden's durability is the team's biggest question mark, with the CB position a close second. But a top 5 pick? That's really absurd.

Same for the Cardinals. Their offense will score points, and their division as a whole isn't scaring anyone. John Skelton could easily supplant Kevin Kolb and see this team Gump their way into a .500 season.

See, I don't agree that Davis' death helps you this year. Reggie inherited a team that was over the cap and had traded its first four draft picks. The new regime really needs next offseason before it pays dividends.

I see the Raiders winning 4 or 5 this year but the future is definitely bright. As a Broncos fan it pains me to say that.

Dangermouse
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
You can't just keep drafting QBs in the 1st round year after year. The Browns certainly would not draft another QB. That would be even more comical than taking Weeden in the 1st this year.

If the Browns have the number one pick the entire regime will be fired.

The new GM and head coach are going to want their guy at QB.

Brent
05-12-2012, 06:02 PM
and Browns fans will celebrate.

I think.

villagewarrior
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Personally, I don't think the Browns will be that bad. Jags seem to have a leg up on the top pick, but I think the Vikes won't make the top 5.

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I hate how no team can deal with people saying their team will suck. Just cause you are a fan doesn't mean they will be good.

Kinda like having some dude on the internet assume he knows anything about a team he doesn't follow.

Maybe if some logic were applied to the opinion...

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
See, I don't agree that Davis' death helps you this year. Reggie inherited a team that was over the cap and had traded its first four draft picks. The new regime really needs next offseason before it pays dividends.

I see the Raiders winning 4 or 5 this year but the future is definitely bright. As a Broncos fan it pains me to say that.

This demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the organization. With Davis' death, there will be no more revamped gameplans the day before a game.

With Davis' death, players will now actually be held accountable, and they know this. There is no one for the players to go to when they don't like what the coach has to say. That can only lead to a more disciplined unit.

With Davis' death, offensive and defensive schemes can finally enter the 21st century.

I'm not predicting a playoff push. Not by any means. But if this team can win 16 games during the Hue Jackson error (8 as OC, 8 as HC), then an Al Davis free Raiders team should threaten to break .500 for the first time in a decade.

Knapp will make us one of the most, if not the most run oriented offense in the league. That will maximize Palmer's deep ball ability and help limit his opportunity for a brain fart.

If we can get 10 healthy games from McFadden, we should be able to make some noise during that stretch.

Defensively, I have some real concerns. But, this is where kicking dirt onto Davis' casket will prove the most beneficial. Davis fancied himself a defensive coordinator, and never let the coaching staff forget it. This year, Dennis Allen will have autonomy in designing his defense and creating the gameplans. There's your two extra wins.

Anything between 6 and 9 wins seems reasonable to me. Even if we wind up on the low end of that scale, 6 wins takes you out of range for a top 5 pick.

Raiderz4Life
05-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Trust me..I know the Raiders aren't going to be very good. I can accept that, but I do firmly believe we'll be outside of the bottom 5. I see us picking top 10-15

Abaddon
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM

The new GM and head coach are going to want their guy at QB.

If they hand the keys to Weeden, they're not going to win many games. That's to be expected.

I think Richardson will prove to be pretty overrated once he meets weekly NFL level 8 man fronts week in and week out. They won't be able to ride him to many wins.

Will Holmgren gut the coaching staff again so soon? Will The Walrus himself get canned? Personally, I can't believe he got a GM job in the first place. That was always the weakest part of his performance as a coach. But, it feels a year or two early to be expecting his termination. The Rams aside, drafting a QB in Rd1 generally affords you a 2-3 year window to make something happen, does it not?

Lil Quip
05-13-2012, 07:56 AM
My thought process is to single out bad teams in divisions that have three good teams. Plus there are teams that just don't pass the eyeball test.

Miami:

I don't see them putting up a fight against NE. They will struggle with the improving bills. The Jets may be a mess locker room wise but the team will be decent, just not good enough to vie for the division. Add in they are breaking in a new QB.

Browns:

They could squeak out some wins, but I see the other three teams as legitimate playoff teams. Add in huge QB question marks.

Minnesota:

With a healthy AP they are not terrible, but without him, I don't see them being any good. Add in the fact that the other teams all look like playoff teams.

Jacksonville:

They only way I see them putting up a fight is if they keep running MJD into the ground. They are just not ready for primetime.

Colts:

Luck growing pains on a team I just don't see as all that talented. Plus they are in rebuilding mode. They are more interested in playing hard than playing for wins.

Darkhorse: St. Louis:

Not sure the thought process of the coaching staff. I think they will have enough ammo to make noise in the future, but not this year. Do they dog it a bit and test out the guys on their roster this year?

Teams that I think people are underrating:

Redskins:

Yes, a lot rides on RGIII. That being said, even bad, he is probably better than the mess known as sexy rexy and john beck. Plus they have a really strong running game and defense to rely on.

Raiders:

Don't see them as the tops of the division, but I don't see them as that far off from the rest of that division.

Seahawks:

I don't see Flynn lighting the world on fire, but I think he will bring more consistency on a team improving slowly but surely.

bam bam
05-13-2012, 08:58 AM
After Bane gets done taking care of business, Pittsburgh will be picking first in 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GOwCD52Dk

SF Dolphin Fan
05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I hate how no team can deal with people saying their team will suck. Just cause you are a fan doesn't mean they will be good.That is very true. Honestly, I think you could make good arguments for a lot of teams going 5-11 or 11-5. A lot of different scenarios can happen to influence how a team performs. Take away the top three players for any franchise due to injury and what's your teams record? Three rookies emerge and prove to be everything you expected and what's your teams record?

Brothgar
05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Here's my initial list.

Browns - The Browns have what could be the hardest schedule in the NFL outside of the Giants this year. Weeden isn't pro ready and doesn't really have the weapons to contend year one anyway. Trent will have a decent rookie campaign but that's it really.

Jacksonville Jags - The Jags are going to have a real problem with Gabbert being the starting QB Justin Blackmon will help a lot but he is only one man. They COULD end up being better than you think but only if Gabby can start not being scared to death of stepping up into the pocket.

Minnesota Vikings - The Vikes will be missing AP for up to the first six weeks of the regular season. That will likely result in an 0-6 start when you start 0-6 you really are going to have a problem rallying the troops for the second part of the season.

N.O. Saints - WWHHHAAAAATTT!!!!! Oh yes I said it. Right now they are down a head coach for the full season and the assistant head coach for 6 weeks. They didn't improve the team at all in the off season they also are going to lose two major players in Vilma (full season) and Will Smith (8 Games) in a division that has gotten so incredibly better over the past off season. Remember what that team looked like when Payton was just not on the sideline? They lost to the pathetic Rams on the road. Also if the stealing of signals in the home games is true then we can expect them to lose significantly more home games as well.

Oakland Raiders - IF McFadden can stay healthy for a full season then they won't hit the top 5. I love Taiwan Jones but I don't think he can cover a full load. I still have no faith in Carson Palmer and the rest of that division has gotten really good (except for San Diego).

CowboysBeastMode
05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Personally, I don't think the Browns will be that bad. Jags seem to have a leg up on the top pick, but I think the Vikes won't make the top 5.vikings are my favorite to have the top pick next year, after lookin @ their schedule 4-12 tops

wicket
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
N.O. Saints - WWHHHAAAAATTT!!!!! Oh yes I said it. Right now they are down a head coach for the full season and the assistant head coach for 6 weeks. They didn't improve the team at all in the off season they also are going to lose two major players in Vilma (full season) and Will Smith (8 Games) in a division that has gotten so incredibly better over the past off season. Remember what that team looked like when Payton was just not on the sideline? They lost to the pathetic Rams on the road. Also if the stealing of signals in the home games is true then we can expect them to lose significantly more home.

lofton, chamberlain and hawthorne totally werent upgrades for all linebacking sports

also the stealing of signals was supposed to be 7-8 years ago, not recently.

I dont care if you think it are the saints but your arguments are stupid

Mufasa
05-13-2012, 01:46 PM
1. Jacksonville
2. St. Louis
3. Indianapolis
4. Miami
5. Oakland

wadsworth
05-13-2012, 02:10 PM
-The last time Jacksonville picked in the top 5 without trading up was 1996.

-In 2011 the Jaguars defense was top 10 in yards allowed, rush defense and pass defense in spite of double digit guys going to IR.

-MJD is a very good RB and the Jags get Rashad Jennings back(he missed 2011 on IR).

-The Jags managed a record of 4-10 with Gabbert the rookie starting and an awful collection of WRs. Gabbert now has a year of experience and they added Blackmon, L. Robinson and Lee Evans.

Jacksonville's rush D, pass D, special teams and rushing offense appear to be at a level you would expect from a team contending for the play offs. The passing offense was awful in 2011 but they added three new WRs and the QB should be much better prepared(he was third string at the end of preseason in 2011).

So when picking the Jags to be a top 5 pick next season keep in mind that in spite of putting around 30 guys on IR in 2011, changing ownership, firing a coach during the season, and starting a rookie QB that they still picked 7th this year.

Shane P. Hallam
05-13-2012, 02:23 PM

-In 2011 the Jaguars defense was top 10 in yards allowed, rush defense and pass defense in spite of double digit guys going to IR.

-MJD is a very good RB and the Jags get Rashad Jennings back(he missed 2011 on IR).

-The Jags managed a record of 4-10 with Gabbert the rookie starting and an awful collection of WRs. Gabbert now has a year of experience and they added Blackmon, L. Robinson and Lee Evans.

Jacksonville's rush D, pass D, special teams and rushing offense appear to be at a level you would expect from a team contending for the play offs. The passing offense was awful in 2011 but they added three new WRs and the QB should be much better prepared(he was third string at the end of preseason in 2011).

So when picking the Jags to be a top 5 pick next season keep in mind that in spite of putting around 30 guys on IR in 2011, changing ownership, firing a coach during the season, and starting a rookie QB that they still picked 7th this year.

Sounds like Browns fans last year who said the same thing, lol.

kalbears13
05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
If they hand the keys to Weeden, they're not going to win many games. That's to be expected.

I think Richardson will prove to be pretty overrated once he meets weekly NFL level 8 man fronts week in and week out. They won't be able to ride him to many wins.

Will Holmgren gut the coaching staff again so soon? Will The Walrus himself get canned? Personally, I can't believe he got a GM job in the first place. That was always the weakest part of his performance as a coach. But, it feels a year or two early to be expecting his termination. The Rams aside, drafting a QB in Rd1 generally affords you a 2-3 year window to make something happen, does it not?

Holmgren isn't the GM, Heckert is. Lerner hired Holmgren to basically take over what he had to do because he had no idea what he was doing. I would much rather have Holmgren making GM/Coach hirings than Lerner.

tjsunstein
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
New York Jets, top 5.

Big Bird
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
All of the teams originally slotted to pick in the top 7 were all in the bottom 11 in QB Rating last year. Quarterback play is a big reason for how teams perform. So therefore, I would project as of now for the teams picking in the top five next year will be Jacksonville, Cleveland, Miami, Indianapolis, and St. Louis (either from their own pick, or the Redskins, but I would expect there own.

Arizona, Kansas City, and the Jets would be up there for me, but I think their defenses keep them out of being this bad. I don't expect much from Flynn and Seattle until they can put weapons around him.

onejayhawk
05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Cleveland - I am a fan of the Weeden pick, but the first year will be rough. Their defense could carry them.

Indianapolis - Even a 4 game improvement would leave them top 5.

Seattle - They have talent, but their drafting has not restocked the shelves, and the QB situation is dire.

Minnesota - No AP is bad enough, but everyone else has been on stretchers as well.This is a pretty good team if healthy,

Oakland - they might go 1-5 in division games, and the rest of the schedule is rough.

J

Brown Leader
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Completely agree. They're not #1 overall bad. It's just carry over from the Gabbert pile on. And I didn't say anything like that about the Browns last year. ;/

WCH
05-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Minnesota Vikings - The Vikes will be missing AP for up to the first six weeks of the regular season. That will likely result in an 0-6 start when you start 0-6 you really are going to have a problem rallying the troops for the second part of the season.

They could also easily lose six of their last seven games.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Release-2012-Schedule/503b4fa5-368e-4cd5-88f4-ba8a9c61bbf3

This Vikings team has the potential to lose a lot of games.

WT01
05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Seattle - They have talent, but their drafting has not restocked the shelves, and the QB situation is dire.

J

The Seahawks had a top ten defense last year despite having one of the lowest sack totals in football. If Irvin can even bring a moderate amount of pressure, they'll be next to impossible to score on. Lynch, meanwhile, is a very good RB. Even if Matt Flynn is only an average QB they could easily contend for the playoffs next year.

indyfan1985
05-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Arizona should be pretty decent as well I do like Kevin Kolb.

I agree with you that the Colts will be better than many people think. They added good talent on Offense in getting Luck, Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen. The 2 TE set will be great for Luck. And adding a Desean Jackson type playmaker like TY Hilton will also help. Our front 7 on Defense will be decent, but I agree that outside of S Antoine Bethea, the Secondary will struggle.

OhioJB
05-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Top four, and last pick in the 1st round, 2013:

1) Pittsburgh
2) Baltimore
3) Cincinnati
4) Denver

32) Cleveland

Abaddon
05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
...and the rest of that division has gotten really good (except for San Diego).

lolwut?

The Broncos and Chiefs have gotten "really good."

:facepalm:

Brothgar
05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
lolwut?

The Broncos and Chiefs have gotten "really good."

:facepalm:

Yeah I see no face palm here. The Broncos went from the worst starting QB in the league to a top 5 QB in the league. On top of that they were able to keep a good amount of that D together except B-Dawk. ( a notable miss). The chiefs were really good last year. Then they got anally raped by injuries. Now they are all back with a Hillis with a chip on his shoulder. I see no reason why both of them are not well ahead of the Raiders this season. Now could Oakland pass San Diego sure I'm not very high on them either and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Chargers are a top 10 pick in the next draft.

Raiderz4Life
05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
A top 5 QB that may leave them stranded with a good hit. I love how everyone just dismisses the fact that Payton is injured.

Brothgar
05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
A top 5 QB that may leave them stranded with a good hit. I love how everyone just dismisses the fact that Payton is injured.

Isn't every QB "one hit away" from leaving their team stranded?

Brothgar
05-13-2012, 11:08 PM
lofton, chamberlain and hawthorne totally werent upgrades for all linebacking sports

also the stealing of signals was supposed to be 7-8 years ago, not recently.

I dont care if you think it are the saints but your arguments are stupid

OK so first of all, Lofton isn't a huge improvement over Vilma. Secondly pardon me if I don't bow to Chamberlain and Hawthorne. Thirdly an improvement in the LB spots doesn't magically make all the downgrades you made over the past off season all better. I have a real hard time believing that they had the technology installed 7-8 years ago weren't caught and then said "Oh well we aren't doing that anymore" possible sure but doesn't make it stupid. On top of that to think that not having SP on the sidelines isn't going to affect this team harshly in the negative direction need to look no further than the games when he was in the coach's box to see how differently they react when he isn't there. We will also see how long Brees' holdout lasts.

onejayhawk
05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
The Seahawks had a top ten defense last year despite having one of the lowest sack totals in football. If Irvin can even bring a moderate amount of pressure, they'll be next to impossible to score on. Lynch, meanwhile, is a very good RB. Even if Matt Flynn is only an average QB they could easily contend for the playoffs next year.

You have a point. Only with 6 games against the Rams, 49ers and Cardinals, could make the Seahawk defense approach top 10. The horrific lack of talent in that division might cost the Seahawks a top 5 again.

However, if you expect average play from Flynn, I hope that you enjoy that stash while it lasts. Its good stuff. Your best QB is a rookie, and under 6' tall.

J

Dangermouse
05-14-2012, 04:00 AM
You have a point. Only with 6 games against the Rams, 49ers and Cardinals, could make the Seahawk defense approach top 10. The horrific lack of talent in that division might cost the Seahawks a top 5 again.

However, if you expect average play from Flynn, I hope that you enjoy that stash while it lasts. Its good stuff. Your best QB is a rookie, and under 6' tall.

J

What makes you think Matt Flynn won't do well?

stlouisfan37
05-14-2012, 05:54 AM
I think Miami will struggle mightily. While they will probably do a lot in terms of building team chemistry for the future, I don't see it adding up in the win column soon. They got their QB, but he doesn't have a lot of weapons.

Minnesota is a given in my book. Going into this offseason I saw them as one of the least talented teams in the league, and they didn't do enough to make a great leap. I do think Ponder may make some strides this year, though.

Jacksonville. Someone commented on the fact that the Jags' defense was in the top 10 in a lot of statistical categories. It reminded me a lot of the 1992 Seahawks, who were one of the best defensive teams in the league but went 2-14 because they couldn't score on anyone and led the league in punts. I think in order to stay out of the top 5, Laurent Robinson will need to have a repeat of the season he had last year, Justin Blackmon will need to be productive right off the bat, Lee Evans will need to return to his old form and Blaine Gabbert will need to trade in his tampon for a jockstrap. Think all those things will happen? Me neither.

Indianapolis I agree with wholeheartedly. They have a lot of upside in that, despite all the Irsay/Manning offseason drama, they immediately got themselves a franchise QB, a really good TE, and a field-stretching WR. Those are nice pieces to rebuild with. However, they are going to have one of the highest player turnovers in the league this year and a revamped coaching staff with a completely new system, including the switch to a 3-4. I see them having a really hard time running the ball as well as stopping the run. That doesn't bode well for them.

Tampa Bay is my pick for a surprise loser this year. A lot has been said for the fact that they kicked ass in free agency. I don't necessarily see that as a great thing for a team with a brand new coach who comes from the college ranks. I also think that they have a very suspect secondary in a division with 3 QB's that amassed a combined total of almost 14,000 yards last year. I think they will have a decent running game, but will be abandoning it a lot in come-from-behind games.

Teams that I think will be better than everyone thinks they will...

Cleveland made themselves better this year regardless of whether or not anyone thinks Brandon Weeden is the answer for the future. I don't think they will light the league on fire, but I see them winning 7 games and being more competitive than last year.

Washington - As much as I want the Redskins to stink it up and hand over a top 5 pick to my Rams, I think Shanahan is too good of a coach and will probably get his team 7 or 8 wins. I like them more than I did a couple of months ago.

Call me a homer if you like, but I don't think the Rams get a top 5 pick. Probably top 10, but not top 5. Unlike the Buccaneers, the Rams made quality free agent signings with players that are very familiar to their system; most of the players signed had some kind of connection to the Rams' coaching staff. They added a lot of young talent in the draft, including a speed back and a pair of receivers. I also think that returning players are jacked up to play for Jeff Fisher. While I think we are a year or two away from the playoffs, I think we make great strides and win 6 or 7 games this year.

Arizona is not going to lose 11 games this year. I think that they are getting better and closer to what Ken Whisenhunt wants in his team. The additions of Kelemete and Massie on their O-line will be huge for them. I think Skelton has a very high ceiling and will become their starting QB this year. They play in a fairly weak division that almost guarantees them 3 wins alone. I think they win 8 games this year.

Teams I am on the fence about...

Kansas City has a lot of talent, but they are counting on a lot of their talent coming back from major injuries. Their QB has hit his ceiling. On paper they have the makings of a good team, but I wonder how it will translate to the field.

While I think in the long run Oakland will be a stronger franchise without Al Davis, but I'm not sure how quickly we will see it happening. I'm sure that there is a much calmer feel around their facility, though.

Seattle looks to have everything in place except for...well, everything. They have shuffled their cards a lot. Midway through the season they dedicate themselves to running and suddenly look like Tom Osborne's Cornhuskers. It's really hard to say what we will get from them. I'll let you know after the season.

onejayhawk
05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
What makes you think Matt Flynn won't do well?

The same things that have made life difficult for Matt Cassel. He is not physically gifted by NFL standards. When dropped into a machine of an offense, he was able to fill his role. You should remember that Cassel was Pro Bowl in NE.

This is vastly different situation. The offense is not loaded with quality players, he will not have an exceptional OL, and he is not intimately familiar with either the players or the offense. It is going to be rough. In fact, he may just be keeping the seat warm for Wilson. Wilson is everything Flynn is not, including tall.

J

fear the elf
05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
The same things that have made life difficult for Matt Cassel. He is not physically gifted by NFL standards. When dropped into a machine of an offense, he was able to fill his role. You should remember that Cassel was Pro Bowl in NE.

This is vastly different situation. The offense is not loaded with quality players, he will not have an exceptional OL, and he is not intimately familiar with either the players or the offense. It is going to be rough. In fact, he may just be keeping the seat warm for Wilson. Wilson is everything Flynn is not, including tall.

J

"able to fill his role" is a gross misrepresentation of what he did in that offense. Not saying Matt Flynn is going to be a great or even good QB, but let's give him some credit. 480 yards and 6 TD's doesn't happen every day.

onejayhawk
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Kansas City has a lot of talent, but they are counting on a lot of their talent coming back from major injuries. Their QB has hit his ceiling. On paper they have the makings of a good team, but I wonder how it will translate to the field.

The thing to remember about the Chiefs is that they tripped coming out of the blocks. After giving up 90 points the first two games, as well as losing Jamaal Charles and Eric Berry for the season. They pulled things together and made a run at the playoffs.

Without Berry and with the two blowouts, the defense finished 13th overall. The offense added a very good FA, Eric Winston, at their weakest position and Peyton Hillis to replace Thomas Jones. Berry and Charles are certainly expected to help substantially, but this is still a division contender without them.

J

onejayhawk
05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
"able to fill his role" is a gross misrepresentation of what he did in that offense. Not saying Matt Flynn is going to be a great or even good QB, but let's give him some credit. 480 yards and 6 TD's doesn't happen every day.

To the contrary, that is exactly what he did. He was carefully prepared, and the team knew exactly what to expect.

Again, Matt Cassel was Pro Bowl grade replacing Tom Brady. In 2008, he had 3,693 yards, 21 TD, 11 Int, 89.4 rating for essentially a full season.

J

nobodyinparticular
05-14-2012, 09:27 AM

As a Broncos fan, you should know all about the frappy defensive system the Raiders had to play with Al Davis on the throne. Four-man rush, one man 20-30 yards deep, everyone in man. It's how Rolando McClain was consistently matche up against TEs with elite size and speed on seam routes. It is why there were serious issues with pressure because the opposing team knew exactly where the rush was coming from.

Put in a new defensive coordinator and this team is going to improve just based on a scheme that's not four decades old. That alone is worth Abaddon's two-win swing.

wadsworth
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Jacksonville. Someone commented on the fact that the Jags' defense was in the top 10 in a lot of statistical categories. It reminded me a lot of the 1992 Seahawks, who were one of the best defensive teams in the league but went 2-14 because they couldn't score on anyone and led the league in punts. I think in order to stay out of the top 5, Laurent Robinson will need to have a repeat of the season he had last year, Justin Blackmon will need to be productive right off the bat, Lee Evans will need to return to his old form and Blaine Gabbert will need to trade in his tampon for a jockstrap. Think all those things will happen? Me neither.

You say that four things need to happen for the Jaguars to stay out of the top 5, yet none of those things happened last year and the Jaguars stayed out of the top 5.

WCH
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
You say that four things need to happen for the Jaguars to stay out of the top 5, yet none of those things happened last year and the Jaguars stayed out of the top 5.

Jaguars: 5-11
Redskins: 5-11
Browns: 4-12
Buccaneers: 4-12
Vikings: 3-13
Rams: 2-14
Colts: 2-14

I'm pretty sure that the difference between going 5-11 and picking 7th, and going 4-12 and picking 4th, basically boils down to serendipity.

wicket
05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
OK so first of all, Lofton isn't a huge improvement over Vilma. Secondly pardon me if I don't bow to Chamberlain and Hawthorne. Thirdly an improvement in the LB spots doesn't magically make all the downgrades you made over the past off season all better. I have a real hard time believing that they had the technology installed 7-8 years ago weren't caught and then said "Oh well we aren't doing that anymore" possible sure but doesn't make it stupid. On top of that to think that not having SP on the sidelines isn't going to affect this team harshly in the negative direction need to look no further than the games when he was in the coach's box to see how differently they react when he isn't there. We will also see how long Brees' holdout lasts.

so now your argument switched from they didnt do anything to improve the team to they lost some stuff and what they got didnt quite match up. You are also underselling Hawthorne imo but thats not even the argument, you adjusted your argument all of a sudden.

Second of all there has been no proof whatsoever of the technology being installed and such but thats not even the point. However the patriots situation could have been a reason, a new HC could be the reason and the one guy who maid the accusation said it washed away with Katrina.

yet again, feel how you feel, just get your arguments straight

Mufasa
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
To the contrary, that is exactly what he did. He was carefully prepared, and the team knew exactly what to expect.

Again, Matt Cassel was Pro Bowl grade replacing Tom Brady. In 2008, he had 3,693 yards, 21 TD, 11 Int, 89.4 rating for essentially a full season.

J

See, this bothers me. People love to compare similar situations and don't even look at the players. I bet 80+% of the people that "evaluate" him didn't even see his game last year.

And now prepare for the "I've seen every Matt Flynn snap since he was in 8th grade" type of response. Ahh! Internet football analysts.

Leon Sandcastle
05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Thinking ahead but I can see a couple of teams trading up into the Top 5 select QB's this year.

Jacksonville, Seattle, Indy could be good trade partners.

ChiFan24
05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Lions, Vikings, Packers, Colts, Lions.

onejayhawk
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
See, this bothers me. People love to compare similar situations and don't even look at the players. I bet 80+% of the people that "evaluate" him didn't even see his game last year.

And now prepare for the "I've seen every Matt Flynn snap since he was in 8th grade" type of response. Ahh! Internet football analysts.

Nah. I just remember him as one of the "other" QBs in the 2008 draft. He started his senior year, after JRuss moved on, and led LSU to the title IIRC, but did not impress. His tools are merely adequate, and his arm is barely that. He has excellent leadership skills and looks to have all the intangibles and ball skills. However the physical package is barely good enough, and there is no untapped reserve.

I did not pick Cassel at random. Other than a National Championship in college, they are very similar. Both performed when plugged into a tailor made slot. Whether they can do it in a more free form situation was in question. With Cassel we now have an answer. He can perform well in a narrowly defined role, but only there.

I say again, their best QB is a 5'10" rookie.

J

stlouisfan37
05-15-2012, 02:12 AM

I guess I just think that Jacksonville is less talented than almost everyone in the league. They have a very shaky QB. A new head coach, a new system. They didn't add a whole lot of talent this offseason. I do think there is a lot of enthusiasm with the new regime, new owner and all that, but I have a feeling that things will get worse before they get better. My Rams are in a very similar position. The difference to me is that the Rams have added a lot more talent across the board.

Additionally, on the Jags' schedule, I see games at Minnesota, at Miami, and home-and-away with Indy as the only games they should win.

wadsworth
05-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I guess I just think that Jacksonville is less talented than almost everyone in the league. They have a very shaky QB. A new head coach, a new system. They didn't add a whole lot of talent this offseason. I do think there is a lot of enthusiasm with the new regime, new owner and all that, but I have a feeling that things will get worse before they get better. My Rams are in a very similar position. The difference to me is that the Rams have added a lot more talent across the board.

Additionally, on the Jags' schedule, I see games at Minnesota, at Miami, and home-and-away with Indy as the only games they should win.

Two of the worst three games of the season for the Jaguars were on national TV(Atlanta, San Diego). I think that is clouding the issue for some people.

The defense is a lot better than most seem to realize. Before getting hit with a long sting of injuries to the point that they were starting a back up DT at LDE and picking up free agent CBs off the street and playing them, the Jags had one of the better units in the league. They held the Panthers to 16, Ravens to 7, Pitt to 17, Titans to 14, Saints to 23, Texans to 20/24, Browns to 14, Colts to 3. For a team with less talent than almost everyone they have a pretty good defense.

Josh Scobee is one of the better kickers in the NFL. The new punter has a lot of potential. MJD was the leagues leading rusher last season. Again, it does not seem like a team with less talent than almost everyone.

Besides injuries, WR and QB were the big issues last year. They added Laurent Robinson, Lee Evans and Justin Blackmon at WR, which is not an amazing group but is clearly better than Jason Hill, Cecil Shorts and Jarett Dillard. Gabbert is going to be the key, but if you look at the roster outside of the QB position there is a lot of talent.

stlouisfan37
05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Two of the worst three games of the season for the Jaguars were on national TV(Atlanta, San Diego). I think that is clouding the issue for some people.

The defense is a lot better than most seem to realize. Before getting hit with a long sting of injuries to the point that they were starting a back up DT at LDE and picking up free agent CBs off the street and playing them, the Jags had one of the better units in the league. They held the Panthers to 16, Ravens to 7, Pitt to 17, Titans to 14, Saints to 23, Texans to 20/24, Browns to 14, Colts to 3. For a team with less talent than almost everyone they have a pretty good defense.

Josh Scobee is one of the better kickers in the NFL. The new punter has a lot of potential. MJD was the leagues leading rusher last season. Again, it does not seem like a team with less talent than almost everyone.

Besides injuries, WR and QB were the big issues last year. They added Laurent Robinson, Lee Evans and Justin Blackmon at WR, which is not an amazing group but is clearly better than Jason Hill, Cecil Shorts and Jarett Dillard. Gabbert is going to be the key, but if you look at the roster outside of the QB position there is a lot of talent.

I'm just going to agree to disagree. It really doesn't matter until the games are played anyway.

Raiderz4Life
05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Isn't every QB "one hit away" from leaving their team stranded?

Does every team have a QB with serious neck issues?

Matthew Jones
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM

I can see where broth is coming from but the Broncos have a little bit more to be worried about considering Manning's age and the numerous neck surgeries; Manning's hip bone has been grafted onto his neck. That's scary. The Broncos could easily compete for the AFC West if Manning plays most or all of the season but Broncos fans should be holding their breath every time Peyton takes a hit because it could be time for Brock Osweiler to step in at any moment.

The Linebacker
05-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Wadsworth, don't worry about it. No need to defend the Jags. People who aren't fans of the Jags don't know anything about them. The Jags will get around 7 to 9 wins next year. The season hinges on Gabbert and with a whole new offensive coaching staff focused on him, improvement will happen.

Bulldogs
05-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Wadsworth, don't worry about it. No need to defend the Jags. People who aren't fans of the Jags don't know anything about them. The Jags will get around 7 to 9 wins next year. The season hinges on Gabbert and with a whole new offensive coaching staff focused on him, improvement will happen.

No they won't. Who do you think will be the 5 worst teams then?

Mufasa
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
But you see, that's kind of the problem.

And crazy **** happens all the time in the NFL, but no way in hell the Jaguars get 9 wins. If everything goes perfectly right I could see 7, but I expect 4.

hockey619
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
The Jags will get around 7 to 9 wins next year. The season hinges on Gabbert and with a whole new offensive coaching staff focused on him, improvement will happen.

of course some improvement will happen, he couldnt POSSIBLY regress could he? he looked like a HS soccer player thrust into a game that was way too fast and violent for him, not a first round pick it was like watching a traffic accident everytime he took a snap.

only way theyre getting that many wins is if Gabbert gets knocked out for a while or mercifully benched.

WCH
05-20-2012, 12:10 AM

This is something that I've been meaning to touch on for a while: as a Packer fan, I'm in constant fear that Rodgers is going to bump his head one or two more times and decide to retire. He already made some subtle comments to indicate that he's going to retire before his mid-30s, even before the concussions came into play. He made less subtle comments after concussions became an issue.

prock
05-20-2012, 02:35 AM
I am obviously biased but I doubt the Vikings will pick earlier than 7. I envision 5-6 wins.

wadsworth
05-23-2012, 09:59 AM

I am not worried at all. One of the great things about sports is that when all the talking is done it gets settled on the field. I am confident that in 2012 the Jaguars are going to surprise a lot of people that have not been paying much attention.

thebow305
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
1. Cleveland Browns
2. Indianapolis Colts
3. Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Minnesota Vikings
5. Arizona Cardinals

PoopSandwich
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Browns were #4 without an offense last year, hopefully the addition of Weeden Richardson and another year in the system will make us a bit better, who the **** knows though.

Shane P. Hallam
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Browns were #4 without an offense last year, hopefully the addition of Weeden Richardson and another year in the system will make us a bit better, who the **** knows though.

Being better doesn't always equal more wins though.

PoopSandwich
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if we were top 5 again, I just think we will be a bit better this year, that's all.

Really hoping Weeden steps up and makes our receiving corps a bit better, and the addition of Richardson should add a lot.

Tough division, good chance of being top 5 pick again.

JoeJoeBrown
05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if we were top 5 again, I just think we will be a bit better this year, that's all.

Really hoping Weeden steps up and makes our receiving corps a bit better, and the addition of Richardson should add a lot.

The Browns win at least 8 this season. That's my bold pick of the year.

stlouisfan37
05-24-2012, 12:20 AM

That's how I feel about the Rams this season. Granted, we will probably win more games than last year and I would be shocked if we didn't. I figure we win 5 or 6, maybe 7 if the ball bounces the right way. But the key for me is I want to see my team become competitive. We lost 10 games last year by 10 or more points. Most teams lose a couple big every year. I would like to see us actually be in games in the 4th quarter when they matter. Learning how to win isn't easy, especially when you are so used to losing all the time.

I also think you can get too talented too fast. A lot of people have criticized the Rams for the holes they didn't fill this offseason. I think they dramatically increased the talent level without putting too much on the coaching staff. They threw a lot at the defense and three weapons at the offense. I'm not sure you really want many more rookies on your team.

princefielder28
05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
1. Jacksonville Jaguars
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Miami Dolphins
4. Minnesota Vikings
5. Oakland Raiders

descendency
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
The Dolphins won't be top 5 unless they have a major injury.

Shane P. Hallam
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Once again, fanbases say this every year. It just isn't true. Someone has to pick Top 5, and the Fins ARE a prime candidate in rebuilding mode.

princefielder28
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM

When it comes to the Dolphins, they have major question marks starting with the new coaching staff. Joe Philbin is a great human being and getting the opportunity to be a head coach is wonderful for him personally after facing some hard times in his life recently, but I am not sure of how impactful he'll be as a head coach/play caller. He had insight in Green Bay as the offensive coordinator, but McCarthy is the mind behind the offense and the personnel to work with doesn't even compare. Looking at the offensive personnel in Miami there's unproven/unknown options at the quarterback position with little to work with in terms of skilled players. On the defensive side of the ball there's talent but maybe one or two actual difference makers.

Miami is in an extremely competitive division with three other teams, who are all clearly more talented. They are lucky enough to face the NFC West and the AFC South in their schedule, and I can say they're better than Jacksonville but I wouldn't bet on them against the West at all and once they face Indy in mid-season they very well may run into some issues against them on the road.

wadsworth
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
The record of teams that picked in the top 5 in the 2012 draft the previous season:

Colts: 10-6
Rams: 7-9
Vikings: 6-10
Browns: 5-11
Bucs: 10-6

A combined record of 38-42 for the 2010 season. Just something to keep in mind when you are picking the teams with the worst records from last year.

descendency
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Once again, fanbases say this every year. It just isn't true. Someone has to pick Top 5, and the Fins ARE a prime candidate in rebuilding mode.

They may be rebuilding but they were also playing really well at the end of the season last year. Miami has plenty of talent on their roster. I think people are under-estimating how good Miami is.

Miami and Arizona are similar situations, outside of their respective divisions. However, their are 10 games you don't play in division and winning a few of those will get you out of the top 5.

Plus, the teams that draft top 5 usually are drafting their because of injuries. Very few teams have good depth and coaching. Just throwing this one out there, but a few injuries could push a team like the Jets into the top 5. Their depth is horrible.

princefielder28
05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Miami and Arizona are similar situations, outside of their respective divisions. However, their are 10 games you don't play in division and winning a few of those will get you out of the top 5.

I disagree here. Miami is more of a re-building situation (they drafted their "franchise" quarterback, brought in a new coaching staff) and Arizona has a roster with some exceptionally talented players at their respective positions along with a coaching staff that has success and realistically can expect to compete for a playoff spot. The biggest problem and question mark for Arizona will clearly be whether Kolb can get the job done, but in terms of where the franchises are, Arizona is well ahead of Miami in terms of having impactful talent on the roster and what the expectations are (what a successful season will be defined as) for this upcoming season

RCAChainGang
05-24-2012, 07:37 PM
In no particular order:
Jacksonville
Vikings
Cardinals
Browns
Dolphins

Matthew Jones
05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Sportsbook posted their projected win totals today. Their bottom teams are:

1. Cleveland (5.5)
2. Jacksonville (5.5)
3. Indianapolis (5.5)
4. Tampa Bay (6.0)
5. St. Louis (6.0)
6. Minnesota (6.0)

cajuncorey
05-26-2012, 10:46 PM

With all due respect sir, it is very indicative. No need to state obvious statements that do not carry signifanicant statistical evidence. With regard comparing your statement to statistics. it is very similiar, Statistics, is basically the overquanification and inspection of numbers, which at many times leaves one with an ambiguous conclusion. Jake Locker/Andrew Luck returning to school allowed for such to happen.