PDA

View Full Version : Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

TACKLE
05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
DE Margus Hunt, Senior, Southern Methodist

6'8 290 4.6 (est), 36" vert, 35 reps, 82" wingspan

Although he recently has gotten some hype and notoriety for being atop Bruce Feldman's annual freaks list (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316/the-freak-list-the-10-craziest-athletes-in-college-football), Margus Hunt was on bored of education and my radar and was a favorite of ours coming into last season. Just letting everyone know in advance that we will be leading the Margus Hunt bandwagon much like we did with Poe.

Now that we got that out of the way, a little bit of back story on him...he's an Estonian native who moved to the states when he was 16/17 to train with some coach in Dallas for discuss (a sport in which he holds the junior world record). He couldn't get a scholarship for discuss so he tried out for the football team at SMU and got a full ride. He set an NCAA record in his first year ever playing football as a freshman with 7 blocked kicks in a season and now has 14 in his career.

BOE and I both believe that come next April, Margus Hunt will be a top 20 pick in the 2013 NFL draft. Like Poe, as a defensive lineman he is just way too big, way too strong and way too athletic not to go early. There are freaks and then there's Margus Hunt. His production was lacking this year but he was still so green when it comes to football and was a rotational player playing a position that doesn't get stats anyway (3-4 DE mainly). Heading into his 4th year of football as a full time starter, I see no reason at all not to expect his production to show noticeable improvement. His last game (the Pitt game below) was the last game of the season and really was his breakout game. Hopefully he can carry that into next year. 3-4 DE is probably his best spot but he could also be a base DE/nickel DT in a 40 front. Obviously he is still very raw and is a ways away Hunt is a moldable piece of clay with unlimited potential. When next off-season rolls around he will one of the most coveted defensive line prospects in the draft, just watch.

DXIV8LYURsc

prock
05-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I didn't need to read past his height, weight, vert, and 40 time. Sign me up.

stlouisfan37
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I've been following him for a couple of years now and I agree. He is one of those giant men where you look at him and say, "He only weighs 280?" I would really be surprised if he isn't actually heavier than that. I could easily see him handling 300 pounds on his frame without missing a beat. Would be a great fit with a team like the Giants that like to move people around a lot.

ElectricEye
05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I had heard a little bit of buzz about him towards the end of last season. It was certainly hard not to notice him in that Bowl game against Pittsburgh. Beyond that and the workout numbers, I really don't know a whole lot about him though. He's certainly someone I want to find a whole lot more about. The length and athleticism show up right away when you go and watch him. Those things well could end up taking him very far. The one thing I don't like in the extremely preliminary look I've taken about him is how often he loses the initial battle. Leverage issues are almost to be expected when you're 6'8, so there's some of that...but he doesn't seem to play with a whole lot of violence or aggression. When he does win, he does it in a major way and in a hurry. There's little reason that he should be getting pushed back ever and there's a bit too much of that. As already mentioned, he may benefit quite a bit from adding some weight. That may not be as easy for him as it could be for some prospects, as he's going to be 25 in a few months and 26 by the time he reaches the NFL.

He's certainly an interesting player to watch develop next year though. Exciting potential.

TACKLE
05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
I've been following him for a couple of years now and I agree. He is one of those giant men where you look at him and say, "He only weighs 280?" I would really be surprised if he isn't actually heavier than that. I could easily see him handling 300 pounds on his frame without missing a beat. Would be a great fit with a team like the Giants that like to move people around a lot.

For sure. I think he's easily 290+ when the combine comes. Probably would want to avoid getting too close to 300 because the heavier he gets, the less appealing he would be to 43 teams methinks (unless they want to play him at DT).

ElectricEye
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
For sure. I think he's easily 290+ when the combine comes. Probably would want to avoid getting too close to 300 because the heavier he gets, the less appealing he would be to 43 teams methinks (unless they want to play him at DT).

From the way he looks build wise, he may be able to handle more than that and still play end in a 4-3. You don't want him blowing up and letting himself go certainly, but he's extremely lean for 280 pounds. Either way, I'm not sure he plays with the requisite power and leverage to play tackle any more than situationally. Small sample size to what I've seen, but in the early goings he looks like a pure end prospect in either scheme to me.

ChiefMojo
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Sure you may want to limit his size if your looking at him as a 4-3 guy but in reality he is probably best fit in a 3-4 as a 5-Tech. As a 5-Tech, he could go north of 300-pounds and it would be 100% accepted.

Ozzy
05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Very interesting, and who would not love those measurables, but still the kid has not been productive really, 28 tackles and 7.5 for a loss all of last season? 3 sacks and they were all in the bowl game for last year?

Great height but not sure he has the power or strength, being tall is fine, blocking kicks is fine but he has to really have a breakout year to be a 1st round pick, seriously.

Poe had rare athletic ability for a NT, but you can find tall athletic DE's a lot easier than a 350+ pound NT than runs under a 5.0 40.

Not a fan of Poe mind you, but Hunt will have to actually be productive to be a high pick, unlike Poe did because again lot easier to find tall athletic DE's than a big NT.

All of these guys are 6-5 + DEs that have a lot of ability as well.

William Gholston Michigan State JR
Devin Taylor South Carolina
Cornellius Carradine Florida State
Earl Okine Florida
Craig Roh Michigan
Tyler Hoover Michigan State
Gerald Rivers Ole Miss
Colton Miles-Nash Arkansas

One to keep an eye on that is for sure, but will see if he can live up to just being a 6-8 DE.

OSUGiants17
05-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for posting this TACKLE, I am deffenitly on the band wagon for this kid. Freak measurables and athletic ability. Love his quickness of the line and his power too. Incredible potential. I think he ends up seeing a JJ Watt type rise and going top 20 if he keeps progressing. One team will fall in love with his size, and athletic ability and will take him hoping they get a JPP/Aldon Smith/JJ Watt type player.

FUNBUNCHER
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Strength is not an issue for Hunt. He was a top Euro ranked discus thrower as a junior competitor and is expected to put up over 30+ reps in the bp at the combine.

Margus plays low and has good bend for a 6'8 dlineman and when he gets that leg drive going he absolutely can overwhelm almost any OT, either disengaging to pursue or driving a 300+#OT into the backfield.

I like him much better than Poe because of his motor and the fact he's been an elite athlete in another sport and knows how to compete.

In a weird way he reminds of former KC RB Christian Okoye when he played for Pacific after being a nationally ranked discus thrower from Nigeria. Great natural physical tools and competitiveness, he just needs to get a better feel for the game.

IMO he's a 34 DE all day, but probably is versatile and athletic enough to get it done in in 43 as a strongside DE.

I love it that Margus Hunt engulfs passing lanes by standing up and raising one arm!!!lol

I think Hunt is a near lock to go in the first 32 picks.

One to watch for the 2012 season. It would be nice to see his game build on his dominating performance against Pitt.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-14-2012, 01:42 AM
He's been on my radar ever since I watched them play Texas A&M last year and he blocked a kick. Freakish ability, sure but if I'm remembering correctly (and it's entirely possible that I'm not), he wasn't a full time defensive player.

whatadai
05-14-2012, 03:39 AM
I can see him being a successful LE in a 4-3.

Razor
05-14-2012, 03:51 AM
I really like Hunt, but he's a bit old for a top 20 pick. iirc he was born in 1987...

TACKLE
05-14-2012, 04:00 AM
I really like Hunt, but he's a bit old for a top 20 pick. iirc he was born in 1987...

It's a valid concern but if I recall correctly, Peria Jerry was a 25 year old rookie and he was still taken in the early 20's.

TheBoyWonder22
05-14-2012, 04:01 AM
He's only 24 now, 25 come draft time. I think he plays too high at this point just based off of that tape. You can stand up and bullrush through Pitt's line, but the NFL is a different animal. If he works on that...holy ****. I think 25 is as old as I'd go with a first rounder especially considering the position he plays. To people saying he could play DT, no way. He's already thin and as noted earlier if leverage is an issue at end, no way can you play tackle. The interesting part about this guy is that he could stay the same weight and switch to tight end and with his hand strength be a commodity in the league if he wants to make the big bucks. I'd have to see more of him to determine what I think his true value will be in April.

Razor
05-14-2012, 04:19 AM
It's a valid concern but if I recall correctly, Peria Jerry was a 25 year old rookie and he was still taken in the early 20's.

Yup... Like I said, I like him. I think he's the best looking 5-tech for next year's draft right now. But if I had to chose between him or Okafor I'd go with Okafor just because I've got a bigger chance of getting a starter for the next 10+ years than I do with Hunt. I'd put Hunt in the first round, but I don't think he'll be a top 20 pick.

Ozzy
05-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Bjoern Werner is a junior DE on Florida State, sure all know him of course.

6-4 272 from Germany.

37 tackles, 7 sacks, 11 TFL, 1 FF, 8 Pass Def, 1 INT

Far more productive year compared to Hunt.

Sure he was surrounded by more talent, but also played against better players as well. I say again Hunt's statistical production is going to mean a lot if one believes he is a 1st round pick.

SolidGold
05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Danny Watkins was 27 when he was drafted I believe and we all know about Weeden. With the new CBA I do not think the age thing is as much of a hindrance as it once was.

FUNBUNCHER
05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Bjoern Werner is a junior DE on Florida State, sure all know him of course.

6-4 272 from Germany.

37 tackles, 7 sacks, 11 TFL, 1 FF, 8 Pass Def, 1 INT

Far more productive year compared to Hunt.

Sure he was surrounded by more talent, but also played against better players as well. I say again Hunt's statistical production is going to mean a lot if one believes he is a 1st round pick.

Hunt was a part time player last season and still had only 10 less tackles than Werner.
I agree he's going to have to be more than just potential to become a top 20 pick in 2013, but this season will be his first as a fulltime starter. Also Werner played two years of HS football, Margus didn't even know what American football was until he showed up at SMU to train for track.

SenorGato
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Sounds nice but how many 6-8 DL are there in the sport? Calais Campbell and then....? He isn't anywhere near Campbell at Miami in his pre-draft seasons.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Somewhat reminiscent of Watt.

D-Unit
05-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Most already project him to go in that range, right?

ChiefMojo
05-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Ropati Pitoitua now of the Kansas City Chiefs (was New York Jets) is 6'8", 315-pound 5-Tech.

In reality I expect Margus to get up to the 315-325 pound range when all is said and done and be a quality 5-Tech in the NFL. No one expects him to make a impact right away but with his athletic ability and size, he could turn into a tremendous player in time. Technique and continued work on leverage will be his key to success.

SenorGato
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Ropati Pitoitua now of the Kansas City Chiefs (was New York Jets) is 6'8", 315-pound 5-Tech.

In reality I expect Margus to get up to the 315-325 pound range when all is said and done and be a quality 5-Tech in the NFL. No one expects him to make a impact right away but with his athletic ability and size, he could turn into a tremendous player in time. Technique and continued work on leverage will be his key to success.

Sounds like the kind of guy you pick late in Day 2/early-mid Day 3 unless he absolutely explodes.

Pito is a statue...part of that is the knee injury, but the knee injury is part of the danger of playing football at 6'8" (or just playing football).

descendency
05-15-2012, 09:59 AM

300 isn't a big deal. It's body type and not size. I'd put Ngata at 43 DE on lots of teams.

Margus didn't even know what American football was until he showed up at SMU to train for track.

But what was he training to track?

/s (how does a 6'8" 280lb man compete on the track team!?!?)

If you can take a 28.9999 year old at 22, then you can easily take a 25 year old at 20.

FUNBUNCHER
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I'll have to look up the details, but I believe Margus showed up at SMU to train with their track and field coach and on a whim he tried out for the football team. Something like that.

He's listed at 295# on ESPN currently and if he can still keep his speed and athleticism, all he has to do is put those special tools together on the football field this season.

And Ngata IMO wouldn't embarrass himself as a 43 DE, but I don't think he would be exceptional at the position either. I see him as strictly an interior guy.

TACKLE
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah scratch what I said earlier. He should have no problem playing 4-3 DE at around 300. Mario says he's 300 now and was in the 290's at DE in Houston. Margus has a similar if not bigger frame so carrying that much weight shouldn't really affect his athleticism.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah scratch what I said earlier. He should have no problem playing 4-3 DE at around 300. Mario says he's 300 now and was in the 290's at DE in Houston. Margus has a similar if not bigger frame so carrying that much weight shouldn't really affect his athleticism.

I think he's best as a 5 tech.

TACKLE
05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I think he's best as a 5 tech.

Scheme versatility, it's key, bro.

(but yes 5-tech is most likely his best spot. his style of play and movement is much more JJ/Calais than it is JPP/Mario/Jared Allen)

SenorGato
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
If you can take a 28.9999 year old at 22, then you can easily take a 25 year old at 20.

DL is not QB. The NFL rulebook is ridiculously QB friendly.

Dro
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM

still can have a effective 10 year career.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Scheme versatility, it's key, bro.

(but yes 5-tech is most likely his best spot. his style of play and movement is much more JJ/Calais than it is JPP/Mario/Jared Allen)

Which is why I made the JJ comparison and said he's best at a 5 tech, brah.

fenikz
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
CC & Dockett both under contract for 5 years so I don't care about him anymore :D

Caulibflower
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
There is one big difference between him and Poe on tape - Hunt looks awesome.

Caulibflower
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Which is why I made the JJ comparison and said he's best at a 5 tech, brah.

I'm thinking 5-tech, too, but he might do just as well in a Mario Williams kind of role, or Julius Peppers. I like him as a 4-3 LE, too.

Razor
05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
still can have a effective 10 year career.

Could? Maybe... Will he? Who knows? But I know one thing: Age is very much correlated with major injuries, especially on the DL. You don't see many 35 year old D-linemen being dominant, most slow down in their very early thirties. There's always the possibility that you can get ten+ years out of a 25-yo rookie, but I'd place that in the left end of the bell curve.

fenikz
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Much like NBA Centers most DL start to break down physically at 30, there are plenty of cases where guys keep playing at a high level after 30 but it's not the majority

Dro
05-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Could? Maybe... Will he? Who knows? But I know one thing: Age is very much correlated with major injuries, especially on the DL. You don't see many 35 year old D-linemen being dominant, most slow down in their very early thirties. There's always the possibility that you can get ten+ years out of a 25-yo rookie, but I'd place that in the left end of the bell curve.

no one said dominant i said effective.. Abraham is a good example or hell even Andre Carter is a good example.. they were effective around the 35 year mark.. and injuries is with everyone not just a 25 year old.

Caulibflower
05-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan, Bruce Smith, Reggie White....etc. There's obviously not a set shelf life for players, and there are plenty of examples of big, strong guys playing for a long time. And as we've got to remember with these late-starters, there's not nearly as much wear on their bodies; a 25-year old NFL player who was drafted when he was 21 might have played twice as much "high-level" football - he's probably already had a few nagging injuries. Hunt's going to be a rookie, and thus pretty fresh. It doen't mean he'll play til he's 40, but his "30" might be when he's 32, if you know what I mean.

G Mobile
12-26-2012, 04:11 AM
I thought this deserved a bump after that Sheraton bowl performance. The guy made plays. His closing speed is pretty great. Anyone know how his stock now after his senior year? The Senior Bowl will be a big factor for him. He could make a lot of money that week.
HZJ1ko0mRk4

phlysac
12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
He surely likes Bowl games. Wish he was more consistent. Still huge upside.

Babylon
12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Fits that 3-4 DE profile for sure. Would like him better if he were a few years younger.

prock
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
He just started playing football I'm not concerned with his age. Doesn't have any wear and tear.

D-Unit
12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
You know you're a badass when your first name is Margus.

Don Vito
12-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Coul he play end in a 3-4? Probably, but I think it would be almost a waste of his skillset. He has the height/weight of a 3-4 end but he looks like a 4-3 end to me. He can really get to the QB and is insanely explosive for a 6-8 300 pounder. Simply a freak. Age could be an issue, but Hunt has crazy talent. Not a finished product and is a little long in the tooth for a prospect, but he has rare talent. If he learns the game some more and gets with an NFL S&C program, he could be a force.

katnip
12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Interesting. The only NFL d-lineman I can think of that's that tall is Arizona's Calais Campbell. But his workout numbers weren't as impressive I believe

phlysac
12-26-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm interested in the measureables.

6'8" 300 was just mentioned. I''ve seen 6'7" 280 and everything in between.

Don Vito
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm interested in the measureables.

6'8" 300 was just mentioned. I''ve seen 6'7" 280 and everything in between.

I said 6-8 300 but I am expecting around 6-7 295. If he measures in at that size and runs a 4.7 like people are saying he could, those are Mario Williams triangle numbers. I am expecting some impressive splits as well as vert/bench.

rawdawg
12-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Doesn't look near 300 to me, but it could be because he moves so well in space. I'd guess 275-280ish. Looks like he could play 4-3 DE to me.

FUNBUNCHER
12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I think his workouts will put Margus somewhere in the top 32.

There just aren't many guys in the NFL that size with Hunt's combo of athletic tools.

SuperPacker
12-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I think his workouts will put Margus somewhere in the top 32.

There just aren't many guys in the NFL that size with Hunt's combo of athletic tools.

Yeah, I definitely think he'll end up being a 1st round pick.

G Mobile
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm not going to take him top 10-15, but after 20 he is probably worth the risk. There just aren't that many humans a that move like that at that size. His work outs could really blow people away. He said somewhere is aiming for 4.6 & 45 reps on bench.

Two important dates for him are the Combine & the Senior Bowl. We really need to see him up close against good competition all week. It will do a lot for his stock if he does well there in a real football situation.

bruschis4all
12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm not going to take him top 10-15, but after 20 he is probably worth the risk. There just aren't that many humans a that move like that at that size. His work outs could really blow people away. He said somewhere is aiming for 4.6 & 45 reps on bench.

Two important dates for him are the Combine & the Senior Bowl. We really need to see him up close against good competition all week. It will do a lot for his stock if he does well there in a real football situation.

It was an awesome performance. But, an important date that is going to work against him is his DOB. He's going to be 26 before he ever plays a game. Might knock him down a few spots.

SuperPacker
12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
It was an awesome performance. But, an important date that is going to work against him is his DOB. He's going to be 26 before he ever plays a game. Might knock him down a few spots.

I doubt it. When you're this physically talented i'm sure teams would be willing to overlook it.

Just look at what JJ Watt, Aldon Smith and Von Miller are doing in their second seasons.

CashmoneyDrew
12-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Meh. We've seen in the past couple of drafts with Weeden and the OG from Baylor whose name currently escapes me, that age doesn't play as big of a deal to NFL teams as we think. Especially once they start to get towards the end of the 1st round.

thegreatone
12-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Would not touch him in the 1st round.

bruschis4all
12-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Meh. We've seen in the past couple of drafts with Weeden and the OG from Baylor whose name currently escapes me, that age doesn't play as big of a deal to NFL teams as we think. Especially once they start to get towards the end of the 1st round.

Danny Watkins by Philly. And, he's been a flop. Not comparing Hunt to him. Just sayin. I'm still scratching my head over the Weeden pick. But, hey. The Browns know what they're doing:njx:

Leon Sandcastle
12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Somewhat reminiscent of Watt.

And it's begun. LOL seriously though he's a good prospect. Age and level of competition would be many team's only concerns but someone is going to get a good player in the 2nd round.

San Diego Chicken
12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
He's a stud physically (obviously), but he's not a first rounder. Lacks technique and his age will be a factor.

Razor
12-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I like Hunt, but I still don't think he should warrant a first round pick. That being said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some team takes a chance on him in the late first. And as much as I hate to say it, Bill Belichick will probably drool like a mad man when he gets Hunt in for a private workout.

CollegeFan
12-28-2012, 08:42 PM
6'8" is a big DE..... Had a good bowl game for sure...watched it on tv and can't argue with his production at 6'8" 280.

CollegeFan
12-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Having a 3 sack bowl game with his size won't hurt his draft stock thats for sure

PossibleCabbage
12-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Having a 3 sack bowl game with his size won't hurt his draft stock thats for sure

Wasn't he lined up against a Freshman that night?

Evaluators are going to care more about the level of competition than the profile of the game.

FUNBUNCHER
12-29-2012, 03:49 AM
If Hunt can be an impact player for most of his rookie contract, I don't think his age will be a factor.
I would think a guy that big/fast/strong could still play in the NFL at a decent level until he's 35.

You can get him on the cheap as a rookie and if Margus pans out, you could have a beast 34 DE in two years.

Babylon
12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
A potential matchup at the Senior
Bowl with Fisher of CMU could be very interesting.

Caulibflower
12-29-2012, 12:37 PM
If Hunt can be an impact player for most of his rookie contract, I don't think his age will be a factor.
I would think a guy that big/fast/strong could still play in the NFL at a decent level until he's 35.

You can get him on the cheap as a rookie and if Margus pans out, you could have a beast 34 DE in two years.

Right - teams don't spend first round picks on players thinking they'll have them for a decade, it's about having the immediate rights to a player. If it's a guy they can get even a few pretty dominant seasons out of, they're willing to spend. Look at what the Raiders did to get Carson Palmer. It's not always about how long they think a player will play for them, but rather how badly they want a player or how much of a need they have on their depth chart. I'd like to see him go to a situation in the NFL where he isn't the best D-lineman on his team, nor is he expected to be. If he gets to the NFL and as is playing with lineman who are better than him, he's not going to be facing double-teams and blockers aren't necessarily going to be keying on him specifically, so he could find himself in isolated matchups on a regular basis, and for a player who's drafted for his physical tools and athleticism, that's what you want. I'd worry more about him getting stonewalled by a double team because he's never been blocked by two NFL-caliber players at the same time. If it's just he and a team's second-best tackle alone on the edge, I'd expect that raw athleticism to be evident while he continues to develop his technique.

brasho
12-30-2012, 07:46 AM

He isn't so old that you worry about how long he plays but he is old enough that he is far more physically mature than his competition. I absolutely hate overraged OL/DL prospects.

Gaines Adams
Peria Jerry
Danny Watkins

These guys were all overraged prospects that didn't even start to dominate their respective positions until they were at an age where most of their peers had graduated. Adams was a 6th year non-qualifier as a senior, he only won his starting job in his 5th season. Jerry was 25 when he left college, and Danny Watkins was 27. All three of these guys had quite a bit of an advantage over his competitors that were mostly in the 19-21 year old range.

That being said, Hunt is a UNIQUE physical talent. His talent is unique even by NFL standards but that being said, he has not consistently played well even when playing against far younger, weaker, and lesser competition and there is no reason to think he will walk into the NFL and dominate from day one as he has struggled at times against collegiate opponents despite being physically faster, stronger, and more mature.

Going into the NFL, the competition will be far better and Hunt will likely struggle until he learns better technique. With him being 26, I wouldn't touch Hunt until the mid to latter stages of round 2.

PossibleCabbage
12-30-2012, 06:10 PM
That being said, Hunt is a UNIQUE physical talent. His talent is unique even by NFL standards ...

What talent does Margus Hunt have that Calais Campbell does not?

I mean, no two players are exactly alike, so every player is unique in some sense. But the NFL does have players who are big, long, and strong. Hunt's not the first of his kind.

I mean, Hunt probably throws the discus better than anybody in the NFL, but I doubt that's going to come up in a game.

brasho
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
What talent does Margus Hunt have that Calais Campbell does not?

I mean, no two players are exactly alike, so every player is unique in some sense. But the NFL does have players who are big, long, and strong. Hunt's not the first of his kind.

I mean, Hunt probably throws the discus better than anybody in the NFL, but I doubt that's going to come up in a game.

No, I'm not including the discuss. What is unique is that he is 6'8 280 lbs and runs extremely well (supposedly in the 4.6-4.7 range). Yes, Calais Campbell was/is 6'8 300 lbs, but he doesn't/didn't run all that well (5.0 at Pro Day and 5.04 at combine).

He compares physically very favorably to Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, and JJ Watt. That is pretty unique because they are the only heigh weight speed players similiar to Hunt. That is pretty unique.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Watt,Williams and Peppers did it in college.

If his triangle numbers are anywhere near what they are reported to be, he will go quick. Now as far as the age thing goes, I used to think it mattered. I just don't anymore. Many players have been drafted in their mid to late twenties. I have to agree with the poster that said teams are looking for a quick payoff.

brasho
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Watt,Williams and Peppers did it in college.

If his triangle numbers are anywhere near what they are reported to be, he will go quick. Now as far as the age thing goes, I used to think it mattered. I just don't anymore. Many players have been drafted in their mid to late twenties. I have to agree with the poster that said teams are looking for a quick payoff.

Yeah, but the guy is raw. Not great technique, and for the most part, absolutely did not dominate in C-USA. What more can you say?

You don't think age matters? It matters for sure, especially in the trenches. Older, more mature players are physically stronger, faster, heavier, and mentally and emotionally more mature and have a big advantage over younger players.

Look at it this way. Clemson's Gaines Adams was a non-qualifier out of high school and went to a prep-type school out of high school. That was year 1. Year 2 he went to Clemson and was redshirted. Year 3 he barely played. Year 4 he started some games at the end of the year and looked like he might be good (at an age that players that haven't burned their redshirt were seniors). Year 5, he won a starting job and established himself as a player to watch. Year 6, All-American, all world, all everything... at an age that even players that were redshirted were no longer in college.

So as a 6th year senior at Clemson, basically being a man among boys, he finally dominated. It took him 6 seasons to establish himself as a great player. He was nearly 24 years old playing against a bunch of guys that weren't much more than kids that were for the most part, 19-21. Then he went to the NFL at the age of 24 where all the players are physically mature and he struggled greatly.

Other instances of overaged players struggling because they couldn't adjust to going against physically more mature players:

DT Peria Jerry (25 when drafted)
OG Danny Watkins (27 when drafted)
OT Moe Elowinibi (24, turning 25 when drafted)

These guys just couldn't adjust. Now Hunt is extremely gifted athletically... but his biggest issue is production. Obviously there's a lot he still has to learn.. and while he is learning this, he will be getting older... and by the time he learns it... he may be 28-29. He shouldn't be a first rounder.,, I think a 25 year old senior totalling only 30 tackles, 11.5 tfl and 8 sacks playing in CUSA is a safe bet to not be taken in round 1 no matter what he runs, lifts, or measures in at.

brasho
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
All-time worst overaged prospects are two QBs that used their maturity on an emotional level far more than their physical maturity... Chris Weinke, and Chris Weinke 2.0 (aka Brandon Weeden). I couldn't believe the Browns, or any organization, would be stupid enough to burn anything higher than a 3rd rounder on a 29 year old rookie....STUPID!!!

phlysac
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
I just don't like the fact that outside of his last two bowl appearances, he has been virtually quiet.

G Mobile
01-03-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of numbers guys who don't put up the stats they should, but I'd take the risk with a late 1st or 2nd. At that point its a better risk/reward depending on who else is available. They guy only has a couple years of football experience and substantial tools. If he can keep working on his technique and being a football player then he could be an impact guy. DE/DT isn't a mental position and guys with tools can dominate.

His floor is low but his ceiling is pretty damn high. His stock will dramatically change at the senior bowl and combine for better or for worst.

RGKnee
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah, but the guy is raw. Not great technique, and for the most part, absolutely did not dominate in C-USA. What more can you say?

You don't think age matters? It matters for sure, especially in the trenches. Older, more mature players are physically stronger, faster, heavier, and mentally and emotionally more mature and have a big advantage over younger players.

Look at it this way. Clemson's Gaines Adams was a non-qualifier out of high school and went to a prep-type school out of high school. That was year 1. Year 2 he went to Clemson and was redshirted. Year 3 he barely played. Year 4 he started some games at the end of the year and looked like he might be good (at an age that players that haven't burned their redshirt were seniors). Year 5, he won a starting job and established himself as a player to watch. Year 6, All-American, all world, all everything... at an age that even players that were redshirted were no longer in college.

So as a 6th year senior at Clemson, basically being a man among boys, he finally dominated. It took him 6 seasons to establish himself as a great player. He was nearly 24 years old playing against a bunch of guys that weren't much more than kids that were for the most part, 19-21. Then he went to the NFL at the age of 24 where all the players are physically mature and he struggled greatly.

Other instances of overaged players struggling because they couldn't adjust to going against physically more mature players:

DT Peria Jerry (25 when drafted)
OG Danny Watkins (27 when drafted)
OT Moe Elowinibi (24, turning 25 when drafted)

These guys just couldn't adjust. Now Hunt is extremely gifted athletically... but his biggest issue is production. Obviously there's a lot he still has to learn.. and while he is learning this, he will be getting older... and by the time he learns it... he may be 28-29. He shouldn't be a first rounder.,, I think a 25 year old senior totalling only 30 tackles, 11.5 tfl and 8 sacks playing in CUSA is a safe bet to not be taken in round 1 no matter what he runs, lifts, or measures in at.

My god. I was compelled to register after reading this travesty of a thread, especially posts like the one above.

Some of you guys remind me of the Texans fans that booed JJ Watt when he was selected in 2011, people that don't know even the most basic things about the game, like the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 defensive end.

It's not a good idea to fire up cfbstats and then evaluate all of the defensive ends based on the number of sacks they've accumulated over a season.

Find me a 3-4 defensive end in college football that was as dominating a pass rusher as Margus Hunt this year(hint: there isn't one). Find me one that is even anywhere near as good at busting through double teams. Start with the other 3-4 ends invited to the Senior Bowl. Look at footage, don't go stat hunting.

As far as techique? He's come a long way from his very first year of football. He's good at staying low going around the edge and using a hook to help turn the corner. I've seen him use over/under moves on the inside. He uses his hands well, and he has good understanding of leverage.

And as has been said, he's still "raw". This is only his fourth year of football. He's already an incredible pass rusher from the inside or outside, and he's only going to get much better as he hones his abilities. It's ridiculous to compare him to past older college players that had a decade or more of playing experience. They had already peaked. Hunt's upside is insane.

He's the best 3-4 end available and the best overall pass rusher available, and will be maybe the biggest combine phenomena ever.

He's a top five pick. Adjust your mocks accordingly.

RGKnee
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I thought he would rise to Top 15 after the combine but you make a persuasive argument. Unfortunately I don't have access to his film so I can't go back and watch him again.

I only saw him play twice, his bowl games, and he absolutely tore sh*t up on both occasions. Have to confess it did leave me wondering where his statistical production was in other games, but if he was being double and triple teamed the rest of the time, it makes more sense.

Would you rate him as a better prospect than Bjoern Werner, RGKnee?

It's not a matter of making direct comparisons.

Realise that all 3-4 DEs face double teams when they play inside like a DT normally does. That's just the nature of the position. Margus Hunt is no different than anyone else in that regard. 3-4 DEs aren't going to pile up huge numbers of sacks and hurries like 4-3 DEs and 3-4 LBs do because they don't rush the edge nearly as much. It's a lot harder to bust through the middle and get pressure. Hunt's 8 sacks and 11 hurries are absolutely stellar for a 3-4 defensive end. He often gets that pressure by splitting double teams.

You can't make a direct comparison of the value of Werner and Hunt because they play two different positions with different demands - Werner is a 4-3 end, a complete player and pro ready. If a team runs that scheme and has need of a pass rush NOW, they should take Werner. If, however, they run a 3-4 they should choose Hunt.

Overall I would rate Hunt as a pass rushing prospect with more value. But it isn't by way of direct comparison of their playing. I just think that Hunt's combo of power and speed will ultimately be a game changer in a way Werner cannot be.

phlysac
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
What was it about Pittsburgh and Fresno State that allowed for Hunt to make the flashy "stat" plays that were so few and far in most other games.

I agree that stats can be almost meaningless in regards to the front 3 in an odd front, but the spike in "statistical" production in those two games is interesting.

Iamcanadian
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Sorry but at this point in the draft process, Hunt isn't going top 5 nor top 20 in this year's draft. Now, if he blows everybody away at the Combine, he will make a move up draft boards and possibly reach round 1 but any talk about top 5 or top 15 is likely out of the question. Right now he is a round 2/3 prospect. After all, who has he played against, has he faced any OT's with top rated pro potential and dominated them? Bjoern Werner is ranked way ahead of him.

phlysac
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Bjoern Werner is ranked way ahead of him.

This doesn't dispell his original argument. I don't feel he views Werner as a 3-4 DE. Therefore he's not comparing them side-by-side.

Cigaro
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Sorry but at this point in the draft process, Hunt isn't going top 5 nor top 20 in this year's draft. Now, if he blows everybody away at the Combine, he will make a move up draft boards and possibly reach round 1 but any talk about top 5 or top 15 is likely out of the question. Right now he is a round 2/3 prospect. After all, who has he played against, has he faced any OT's with top rated pro potential and dominated them? Bjoern Werner is ranked way ahead of him.

He faced the Texas A&M duo and did nothing that game. Lots of potential, but has only lived up to it in two games his entire career.

brasho
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
My god. I was compelled to register after reading this travesty of a thread, especially posts like the one above.

Some of you guys remind me of the Texans fans that booed JJ Watt when he was selected in 2011, people that don't know even the most basic things about the game, like the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 defensive end.

It's not a good idea to fire up cfbstats and then evaluate all of the defensive ends based on the number of sacks they've accumulated over a season.

Find me a 3-4 defensive end in college football that was as dominating a pass rusher as Margus Hunt this year(hint: there isn't one). Find me one that is even anywhere near as good at busting through double teams. Start with the other 3-4 ends invited to the Senior Bowl. Look at footage, don't go stat hunting.

As far as techique? He's come a long way from his very first year of football. He's good at staying low going around the edge and using a hook to help turn the corner. I've seen him use over/under moves on the inside. He uses his hands well, and he has good understanding of leverage.

And as has been said, he's still "raw". This is only his fourth year of football. He's already an incredible pass rusher from the inside or outside, and he's only going to get much better as he hones his abilities. It's ridiculous to compare him to past older college players that had a decade or more of playing experience. They had already peaked. Hunt's upside is insane.

He's the best 3-4 end available and the best overall pass rusher available, and will be maybe the biggest combine phenomena ever.

He's a top five pick. Adjust your mocks accordingly.

Exactly, four years playing football. It will take time to learn technique. He's 26, how much time you think he has? Considering he played against C-USA foes during his stay at SMU... why is it that he hasn't dominated? He's 26, why compare him to older prospects? Because he's older.

Top 5 pick, and that's where I leave this ridiculous response. He wouldn't be a top 5 pick if he were 21. He's just not that good. There's a difference between being a great athlete and a great football palyer. He's a heckuva athlete for his size, but considering his athleticism, he's a marginal football player otherwise. He nees a lot of work and the big quesiton becomes, will he get it before his skills start to decline with age? 2nd rounder at best, possible 3rd rounder.

PossibleCabbage
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm all over taking Hunt at any point in round 3 if I'm a 3-4 team, but in my heart of hearts I'm kind of hoping someone falls on that grenade for me and takes him earlier.

But in general, I'm loathe to draft the athlete instead of the football player.

Big_Pete
01-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I think people are over emphasising his age, 26 is not that bad.

Sure college production is a factor, but it isn't everything, particularly with someone so new to the game.

For Margus it will be all about his physical tools, work ethic etc how each team views his potential fit for their system. His value will fluctuate depending on each team's assessment of his length to impact.

Margus is not going to be an immediate NFL starter, he is going to take a little time to develop. Thats perfectly ok. It will take a team who is willing to take a longer term view.

He isn't going to be a fit for every team, sure. But I could see the Giants for example being very intrigued/interested in this guy (particularly if Ansah is gone). They could groom him behind Tuck at LDE and use him inside on their nascar packages. Other teams, needing a DE who can come in and impact right away will likely prefer a more finished prospect.

Having said that, I think Hunt's value is probably somewhere around the middle of the second round right now, he is just too raw at the moment on top of that you have to consider the level of competition. There are just too many quality pass rushers and DTs in this draft for him to go too much higher in my opinion.

bored of education
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I still think he ends up in the the top 50, maybe first round

norcalgsr
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Some smart team will make this guy a TE.

prock
01-14-2013, 01:50 AM
He may be older, but he just started playing football so his body has much less wear and tear than your other prospects. He will be fine. Potential first rounder, definite second rounder

Caulibflower
01-14-2013, 01:58 AM
He's going to be a top-15 pick. Call it the Dontari Poe effect, but he's going top-15.

descendency
01-14-2013, 03:05 AM
I think people are over emphasising his age, 26 is not that bad.

After he finishes his 5 year rookie deal, he will be 31. There will be guys that finish their rookie contracts at 26.

It is a big deal. He's not 28 at least, but 26 is still older than you want to be.

He's nearing his physical peak. Somewhere during his rookie contract, he will start to physically decline.

To me, that's a guy you want to avoid in round 1. Let dumb teams take that chance.

He may be older, but he just started playing football so his body has much less wear and tear than your other prospects. He will be fine. Potential first rounder, definite second rounder

It's not just wear and tear. Around 30 years old, your physical maximum (what you can achieve by working out and getting into shape) simply lowers.

phlysac
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Some smart team will make this guy a TE.

Just like the smart teams did with his teammate Taylor Thompson last year?

norcalgsr
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Just like the smart teams did with his teammate Taylor Thompson last year?

June Jones doesn't use tight ends. On any other college team that does, Hunt would most likely be playing tight end, especially with that wingspan and hand-eye coordination to be able to block field goals.

Witten4HOF
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Considering his age and skill level I think he is not higher then a 3rd round prospect. Throw his athleticism into the mix I think you can gamble with him into the mid to late second round if you are a solid team but I have a feeling he is going to make a Bruce Irvin type jump into the 1st on measurables alone.

CollegeFan
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
He will go 1st round on measurables probably.

batsandgats
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
After he finishes his 5 year rookie deal, he will be 31. There will be guys that finish their rookie contracts at 26.

It is a big deal. He's not 28 at least, but 26 is still older than you want to be.

He's nearing his physical peak. Somewhere during his rookie contract, he will start to physically decline.

To me, that's a guy you want to avoid in round 1. Let dumb teams take that chance.

It's not just wear and tear. Around 30 years old, your physical maximum (what you can achieve by working out and getting into shape) simply lowers. Nearing his physical peak? kind of like how Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Kiesel played well until their mid 30's? and Justin Smith just hit his peak last year and he is now 33?

y.f.s.
01-15-2013, 10:28 AM

How does one even compare Werner and Hunt? They play (and will continue to play) completely different positions.

Babylon
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
He will go 1st round on measurables probably.

In a real down year for defenders I'd agree but probably not this year. the production is just not great for the competition he's facing. I'd agree that guys can get doubled and all but when i've seen him that hasn't been the case.

Hunt could be a nice piece for some team but i don't see a huge rush to hear his name called.

CollegeFan
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
In a real down year for defenders I'd agree but probably not this year. the production is just not great for the competition he's facing. I'd agree that guys can get doubled and all but when i've seen him that hasn't been the case.

Hunt could be a nice piece for some team but i don't see a huge rush to hear his name called.

He is in the Senior Bowl right? (gotta look at list again) would be curious to see how he looks there.

Babylon
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
How does one even compare Werner and Hunt? They play (and will continue to play) completely different positions.

They're both European????

stlouisfan37
01-15-2013, 03:28 PM
I can see Hunt being extremely effective in a 4-3 front like the Giants or Rams, who both like to move guys around a lot. He is extremely strong for his size; he likely won't put up 40 reps on the bench due to his long arms, but I bet he puts up 30 or more. I can see him easily handling his own when he moves inside, and then still having the speed and athleticism to be trouble on the edge. He has made huge strides since I first started watching him at SMU a few years ago. I think the 20's is probably his peak, and I would be wlling to spend that on him, but I think he probably goes in the 2nd or maybe early 3rd.

RGKnee
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Exactly, four years playing football. It will take time to learn technique. He's 26, how much time you think he has? Considering he played against C-USA foes during his stay at SMU... why is it that he hasn't dominated? He's 26, why compare him to older prospects? Because he's older.

Top 5 pick, and that's where I leave this ridiculous response. He wouldn't be a top 5 pick if he were 21. He's just not that good. There's a difference between being a great athlete and a great football palyer. He's a heckuva athlete for his size, but considering his athleticism, he's a marginal football player otherwise. He nees a lot of work and the big quesiton becomes, will he get it before his skills start to decline with age? 2nd rounder at best, possible 3rd rounder.

Why are there so many dumb posts on this forum?

I just finished explaining to you that he was the best at his position in all of college football this year, and challenged you to name somebody that was better, but you just ignored that and posted some inanity about him being a "marginal player".

He's at the top of most teams boards already as a 3-4 end, I guarantee you, and he could also play as a 4-3 edge rusher that just adds to his value. Add the fact that he's the greatest kick blocker in NCAA history, and he's already a first round value. This is reflected in almost every mock out there where he is a late first or early second round pick. If he was 21, he would be the number 1 pick, no questions asked.

villagewarrior
01-18-2013, 06:44 PM
When I watch Hunt play I see a tall guy with issues getting low and he's skinny. Looks like a 43 end to me, doesn't really look like he can anchor in a 34.

Nastradamus
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Yah, I see him more as a poor man's Mario Williams than say a JJ Watt or Calais Campbell.

descendency
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Nearing his physical peak? kind of like how Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Kiesel played well until their mid 30's? and Justin Smith just hit his peak last year and he is now 33?

I hate to tell you, but football is about more than just being physical. There is a ton of technique and decision making. Players continue to play, even though their physical skills decline.

RGKnee
01-19-2013, 12:29 PM
When I watch Hunt play I see a tall guy with issues getting low and he's skinny. Looks like a 43 end to me, doesn't really look like he can anchor in a 34.

He only looks skinny because, as you mentioned, he's really tall. He's not going to be as stocky as shorter linemen, but he weighs nearly 300 pounds and has just as much if not more muscle mass as any of them. Combine that with his huge levers, and he has incredible power.

He could play either the 43 or 34. It will be up to NFL teams to try and figure out where he belongs.

brasho
01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Why are there so many dumb posts on this forum?

I just finished explaining to you that he was the best at his position in all of college football this year, and challenged you to name somebody that was better, but you just ignored that and posted some inanity about him being a "marginal player".

He's at the top of most teams boards already as a 3-4 end, I guarantee you, and he could also play as a 4-3 edge rusher that just adds to his value. Add the fact that he's the greatest kick blocker in NCAA history, and he's already a first round value. This is reflected in almost every mock out there where he is a late first or early second round pick. If he was 21, he would be the number 1 pick, no questions asked.

I watched the Senior Bowl all week this week, and the game yesterday, and I can state conclusively that Margus Hunt had an awful week. Who cares if he is 6'8 and 277? I don't care what he runs, I don't care how far he can throw a shot, he's marginal at best.

You want me to name a better DE? Where do I start? If there were 8 DEs at the Senior Bowl then there's 7 DEs right there that are better than him.

Based on his weak production in a poor conference and his terrible showing in the Senior Bowl practices and game, as well as him being 26, I wouldn't take him before round 5. Perhaps if he blows up the combine he'll be chosen by round 3, but his marginal tape and lack of production are glaring.

Like Ezekial Ansah, his athletic ability might be intriguing, Based on his week in Mobile, 3rd round is looking optimistic. Like Ansah, he had no plan, unlike Ansah he gets no push, he also can't get off blocks and doesn't play up to his athletic measurables. He changed direction very slowly, had very poor recognition skills, made the same mistakes repeatedly, struggled to hold the point of attack. Based on his tape and week of practice and game, he looks no better than a late round pick. But because he will likely blow up the combine and his ability to block kicks, I see him eventually resettling into the 3rd/4th round range. Based on his age and the fact that at 26 he still doesn't get it, I don't see him every being anything more than a backup or spot starter.

bucfan12
01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Margus Hunt, perfect analysis and scouting summary:

"Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane."

Nastradamus
01-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Jarron Gilbert 2.0

brasho
01-27-2013, 10:13 AM

I think he looks more like a giraffe.... he still plays like Jane though.

Babylon
01-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Hopefully doesn't smell like Cheetah. The thing that some of these guys who come over from Europe have going for them is they're still relatively new to the game, probably don't have a ton of wear and tear on them and they can be coached up.

Margus Hunt just doesn't look the part to me. It would almost be better if he had come in around 6-6 as opposed to 6-8. He'll get a shot but i'm not expecting a ton.

FUNBUNCHER
01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Margus is a project. I think he's a rotational player in the pros but I don't know if he ever develops into a starter.

Strictly a 34 DE and a ST guy, but not a bad player to have for depth on your Dline, just don't expect him to be the main guy.

His body doesn't have a lot of wear and tear and if he could get up to 300# with added strength I think Hunt could be more impactful in the pros.

I still think the guy could play until he's 35yrs old because of his length and size.
I was surprised that Hunt didn't look stronger out there. His biggest supporters have said forever the guy has the upper body strength to rep out close to 40 times at 225#.

I agree if you're a pro prospect who doesn't dominate in C-USA then something is wrong.

G Mobile
01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah I'm jumping off the bandwagon after the senior bowl. He just didn't look like the sum of his parts. I didn't see a great football player out there. I say maybe late 2nd or 3rd just off tools and a great combine, but he will be a project to get that ability to flash.

I agree if you're a pro prospect who doesn't dominate in C-USA then something is wrong.

I agree completely. Same reason I didn't like Poe last year. Those tools should just naturally produce more results with that level of competition.

Trogdor
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah I'm jumping off the bandwagon after the senior bowl. He just didn't look like the sum of his parts. I didn't see a great football player out there. I say maybe late 2nd or 3rd just off tools and a great combine, but he will be a project to get that ability to flash.

I agree completely. Same reason I didn't like Poe last year. Those tools should just naturally produce more results with that level of competition.

I thought he was getting over-hyped due to his physical tools when I first looked at his tape. I still think someone will take him in the 2nd without hesitation. Pair with a defensive line coach that knows what he's doing and work on his technique and he could be a mega-steal in the 2nd.

Honestly I think he's a strong-side 4-3 DE and his wingspan will help him knock down passes. Wouldn't mind taking a look at him with Dallas and putting him across from Ware.

Cigaro
01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Margus is a project. I think he's a rotational player in the pros but I don't know if he ever develops into a starter.

Strictly a 34 DE and a ST guy, but not a bad player to have for depth on your Dline, just don't expect him to be the main guy.

His body doesn't have a lot of wear and tear and if he could get up to 300# with added strength I think Hunt could be more impactful in the pros.

I still think the guy could play until he's 35yrs old because of his length and size.
I was surprised that Hunt didn't look stronger out there. His biggest supporters have said forever the guy has the upper body strength to rep out close to 40 times at 225#.

This was a major negative for me. Admittedly I had already disliked him because of his complete inability to generate any sort of pass rush. But even if he didn't live up to the J.J. Watt title some were throwing on him, if he could simply anchor himself he'd still have utility. But despite his size and supposed strength, he couldn't do that either.

I think Hunt can be a decent pick if a team doesn't pick him too early and has the firepower to let him sit, but even then I wouldn't go in expecting much.

Armchair Scout
01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Does anyone think that Hunt might be better as a 4-3 DE than a 34 end. I am not a big fan of him either way, but whenever I have watched him play, he has gotten pushed around at the point of attack. He just plays too upright and lets O-lineman get their hands on him and push him around. He may not have the hand-fighting skills to succeed as a 43 end right away, but I think he may have the athleticism to develop as an edge rusher. Regardless, I think he is a third rounder, nothing more.

Shupp
01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Would look nice in a 49er uniform as a backup OLB and 3rd down pass rusher for his first 2 years while bulking up to be a future 3-4 end. Early 3rd round I say.

PossibleCabbage
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Would look nice in a 49er uniform as a backup OLB and 3rd down pass rusher for his first 2 years while bulking up to be a future 3-4 end. Early 3rd round I say.

I really don't think Hunt can play on his feet at all. I would put him in at 5-tech as a rookie before I would play him at OLB (which is significantly more mentally demanding.)

I mean, Aldon Smith already struggles mightily in his zone drops, do you want to have him and Hunt playing OLB at the same time?

Shupp
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I really don't think Hunt can play on his feet at all. I would put him in at 5-tech as a rookie before I would play him at OLB (which is significantly more mentally demanding.)

I mean, Aldon Smith already struggles mightily in his zone drops, do you want to have him and Hunt playing OLB at the same time?

I wouldn't expect him to drop into zone often if ever at all, I would see him as a pass rusher only until he can play the 5. Much like Aldon in his first year but instead of switching to OLB I would have Hunt switching to DE....Hunt could also line up on the inside on 3rd downs....basically he could rotate in as a DE and OLB on passing situations until he's strong enough to start at DE.

niel89
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Does anyone think that Hunt might be better as a 4-3 DE than a 34 end. I am not a big fan of him either way, but whenever I have watched him play, he has gotten pushed around at the point of attack. He just plays too upright and lets O-lineman get their hands on him and push him around. He may not have the hand-fighting skills to succeed as a 43 end right away, but I think he may have the athleticism to develop as an edge rusher. Regardless, I think he is a third rounder, nothing more.

Yeah I'm not super sure about him at 3-4 DE. I just don't think he plays with enough functional strength to hold down in the run game. Even if he added the weight I'm not sure. I think he is a 4-3 DE pretty much. Have him outside on run downs and kick him inside to DT to pass rush. Hunt at 3-4 OLB would be brutal, just a bad fit.

Nastradamus
01-27-2013, 10:09 PM

But Poe had a very good rookie year.

FUNBUNCHER
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Poe doesn't look like he's gonna bust but he still has a lot of improvement to make at NT.

Guys with all-world tools like Poe who don't dominate at a lower level of competition like C-USA have a bunch of red flags to me.
Based on measurables, the guy should be unblockable.

As raw as Hunt looked this season, he still had 8 sacks.

G Mobile
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM

I don't mean to condemn Poe or anything or call him a bust. I'm just personally very leery of a guy with elite tools not dominating in a lower level of competition. As said above, it is a red flag. It isn't the end all be all for a prospect, but it isnt good. Poe might end up amazing but i still didn't love him as a prospect.

PossibleCabbage
01-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't mean to condemn Poe or anything or call him a bust. I'm just personally very leery of a guy with elite tools not dominating in a lower level of competition. As said above, it is a red flag. It isn't the end all be all for a prospect, but it isnt good. Poe might end up amazing but i still didn't love him as a prospect.

Like a lot of things in the draft, it's a question not an answer. You see a guy looking average against average competition and you want to know why. Sometimes there's a valid reason (his coaches are chuckleheads) and sometimes there's not.

It's like when people turn on the tape for a DT and see he's sucking wind in the 4th quarter. Is it because his conditioning is terrible, or because he's taking his 50th snap?

brasho
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
This was a major negative for me. Admittedly I had already disliked him because of his complete inability to generate any sort of pass rush. But even if he didn't live up to the J.J. Watt title some were throwing on him, if he could simply anchor himself he'd still have utility. But despite his size and supposed strength, he couldn't do that either.

I think Hunt can be a decent pick if a team doesn't pick him too early and has the firepower to let him sit, but even then I wouldn't go in expecting much.

But you can't let him sit too long, he'll be 30+ years old by the time his first contract expires.

As for people hoping he can be a 3-4 DE... I don't know how easy it would be for a 26 year old to gain that much quality mass. He's already gone through his two most important age-related mass building cycles, and has passed the 3rd and final major one. He can get bigger, but at what price? Plus, he hardly looked like he could hold up as a 5-tech against C-USA opponents, I don't think 25 lbs is going to help much against NFL OTs.

mightytitan9
02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I've often pondered if he's there in round 3 or 4, if he'd be worth the selection for the Titans to take a chance and put him into rotation at DE and move him inside to DT on passing downs.

I think a large part of his downfall is at 6'8" you simply can't "run the arch" that most 4-3 teams want you to. In addition, he has poor hand use which I think can be taught, but it will take time.

At DT on 3rd downs, I think you could almost just ask him to "push, push, get your hands up" If nothing else, that would eliminate the shorter passes to the middle of the field

bitonti
02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
As raw as Hunt looked this season, he still had 8 sacks.

and 15 on his career. Ansah has 4.

this guy strikes me as a better version of Rapoti Pitoitua. Supposed to be "too tall" but can occasionally penetrate. Mostly used to occupy blockers in the 3-4. There's nothing wrong with that... tail end of the top 100.

Cigaro
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
and 15 on his career. Ansah has 4.

this guy strikes me as a better version of Rapoti Pitoitua. Supposed to be "too tall" but can occasionally penetrate. Mostly used to occupy blockers in the 3-4. There's nothing wrong with that... tail end of the top 100.

The problem is, he wasn't very good at that either. At the Senior Bowl he was routinely pushed around by his guy.

SolidGold
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Hunt will probably be a 2nd/3rd round guy - his ability to block field goals and extra points is pretty intriguing and he can be a guy a team brings in on passing downs to defend the pass ala JJ Watt with the pass deflections at the LOS.

bucfan12
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Hunt will probably be a 2nd/3rd round guy - his ability to block field goals and extra points is pretty intriguing and he can be a guy a team brings in on passing downs to defend the pass ala JJ Watt with the pass deflections at the LOS.

This guy does not belong with the same sentence to compare to Watt. Hunt looks the part, but he plays soft. He was overpowered all year and was on full display at the senior bowl.

Attyla the Hawk
02-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Something I saw that was interesting, is that he generally plays with poor leverage outside/in space. He has a strong tendency to stand up when he takes his first step on the edge.

Yet when he slid inside, he seemed to focus more on his pad level. Hunt does seem to get handled easily most of the time on the edge. But I'm just left to wonder if maybe he's not naturally an end.

At 280, he's lean as a situational pass rusher. But I could see him carve out a successful niche similar to Jason Jones for Titans/Seahawks. His leverage appears much better inside.

Seems he's probably a 3rd through 5th round guy now.

Caulibflower
02-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Something I saw that was interesting, is that he generally plays with poor leverage outside/in space. He has a strong tendency to stand up when he takes his first step on the edge.

Yet when he slid inside, he seemed to focus more on his pad level. Hunt does seem to get handled easily most of the time on the edge. But I'm just left to wonder if maybe he's not naturally an end.

At 280, he's lean as a situational pass rusher. But I could see him carve out a successful niche similar to Jason Jones for Titans/Seahawks. His leverage appears much better inside.

Seems he's probably a 3rd through 5th round guy now.

This is what I noticed, too. Watching Senior Bowl footage you see him pretty much standing upright and frequently looking like he doesn't know what to do. I think when he's inside he's more instinctive, but he doesn't really look comfortable with the contain responsibilities of a defensive end. But that can be taught. The game of his which initially caught my eye, and I'm sure many others, was last year against Pittsburgh when he totally dominated their lineman. He was bullish about it. What was so amazing to watch was how he physically dominated the man across from him, but in game situations against players who are technically sound as well as elite athletes, his inexperience really shows. He's a promising prospect who compares well physically to JJ Watt, and his kick-blocking prowess is relevant to that, but he's so raw that you have to expect it to take some time, which becomes more concerning when you factor in his age. At least in the beginning of his career, a rotational role where he can rush the passer from a defensive tackle spot, such as the aforementioned Jason Jones, is probably a reasonable expectation.

Babylon
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
This guy does not belong with the same sentence to compare to Watt. Hunt looks the part, but he plays soft. He was overpowered all year and was on full display at the senior bowl.

The point is if Hunt plays a 3-4 end he could use his height to knock down passes. It's a plus, whether you bring Watt's name up or not.

The thing with Margus Hunt is he's new to the game of football. He has plenty of opportunity to get coached up at the next level. Personally with his age I see him as a 3rd round type but he could be a good catch for someone.

SolidGold
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM

To add on to what Babylon said - I am not comparing them as prospects - Watt was elite - Hunt is a good prospect but I can see him coming in on passing downs and being able to play the pass - that sounds weird to say as a 3-4 d-lineman but I can see him having some success playing a niche role like that. He also displayed a knack for blocking FGs and XPs in college as well.

Cigaro
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
To add on to what Babylon said - I am not comparing them as prospects - Watt was elite - Hunt is a good prospect but I can see him coming in on passing downs and being able to play the pass - that sounds weird to say as a 3-4 d-lineman but I can see him having some success playing a niche role like that. He also displayed a knack for blocking FGs and XPs in college as well.

Do you really want to bring in a player just in the hope he'll swat the ball from his defensive line spot? It's a good talent to have, but I don't think it's one that makes up for Hunt's complete lack of a pass rush ability(which was described as Scott as being in "slow-motion").

brasho
02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Do you really want to bring in a player just in the hope he'll swat the ball from his defensive line spot? It's a good talent to have, but I don't think it's one that makes up for Hunt's complete lack of a pass rush ability(which was described as Scott as being in "slow-motion").

Seriously, it would make little sense to bring in a guy simply because he COULD conceivably knock down a pass if the QB attempted to throw the ball through that particular lane. If this were the case I would think NFL scouts would be watching basketball tape to find out the tallest players in college that won't be making the NBA and install them as nickel pass rushers... which is a bit of an oxymoron when a guy can't rush the passer.

When the guy's greatest talent is height and he doesn't offer much else, it makes it hard to put him on the field. Maybe it isn't too late to make him a TE? Didn't Fendi Ondwum.. .or whatever his name is come out of SMU too? Or was it another guy that wsa projected as a TE and was drafted as a DE or vice versa... ? I can't remember.

SolidGold
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

No not at all but everyone is talking about him like he won't amount to anything in the NFL without him playing a down. People seem to think he cannot improve at all with NFL coaching. He is a very raw player with the type of body frame and measurables teams are looking for. It's funny that this Ansah guy is getting a ton of hype while Hunt is being written off. For having no pass rush ability he was still able to rack up a good number of sacks and TFLs over his career and blocking field goals and XPs.

K Train
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
i think he could be a big time stud, gotta love his measurables.

Steelers definitely have people that know SMU guys, would not mind brining in Hunt at all

Cigaro
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
No not at all but everyone is talking about him like he won't amount to anything in the NFL without him playing a down. People seem to think he cannot improve at all with NFL coaching. He is a very raw player with the type of body frame and measurables teams are looking for. It's funny that this Ansah guy is getting a ton of hype while Hunt is being written off. For having no pass rush ability he was still able to rack up a good number of sacks and TFLs over his career and blocking field goals and XPs.

The reason Ansah is getting the hype is he actually put it together in the Senior Bowl game. His practices were disappointing, but he was perhaps the best player on the field during the game. Whereas Hunt played horribly in both the practices and the game.

Also, good number of sacks? He had fifteen for his four year career. Jarvis Jones had 14.5 sacks this season alone against infinitely better competition. Hunt had one decent sack season this past year, before that basically nothing. 15 sacks over four years doesn't even average 4 a year, nothing to write home about.

SolidGold
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
The reason Ansah is getting the hype is he actually put it together in the Senior Bowl game. His practices were disappointing, but he was perhaps the best player on the field during the game. Whereas Hunt played horribly in both the practices and the game.

Also, good number of sacks? He had fifteen for his four year career. Jarvis Jones had 14.5 sacks this season alone against infinitely better competition. Hunt had one decent sack season this past year, before that basically nothing. 15 sacks over four years doesn't even average 4 a year, nothing to write home about.

So Ansah deserves hype for playing well in the senior bowl and that discounts his mediocre senior season? Ok.

Hunt had a pretty good career considering he was new to the sport in college just like Ansah is. He only started playing football in college. You are also forgetting that Hunt played 3-4 DE so its not like he was able to rush the QB all the time and his ability to block FGs and XPs. Just funny you are writing him completely off while giving Ansah all this hype.

TACKLE
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
So Ansah deserves hype for playing well in the senior bowl and that discounts his mediocre senior season? Ok.

I think it's safe to assume that you barely watched him, looked up his stats, saw 4.5 sacks, and somehow felt comfortable calling him mediocre because of that.

Cigaro
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Hunt had a pretty good career considering he was new to the sport in college just like Ansah is. He only started playing football in college. You are also forgetting that Hunt played 3-4 DE so its not like he was able to rush the QB all the time and his ability to block FGs and XPs. Just funny you are writing him completely off while giving Ansah all this hype.

Where I have given Ansah hype? I don't think I've commented much at all about him anywhere (in fact, looking it up, exactly three of my 6,000+ posts mention Ansah). But I'd love for you to show me where I gave my personal rating of him. Either that, or stop assuming and creating straw man arguments.

As for playing 3-4 DE and not being able to rush the QB, it seems you don't understand how that position works. 3-4 DEs rush the quarterback just as often as 4-3 DEs do. The reason they aren't regarded as pass rushers is simply because usually they are less adept at it, not because they don't do it. Playing in a 3-4 allows defensive lineman who aren't as good at rushing the passer stay on the field and still make an impact. It does not prevent good pass rushing defensive lineman from getting to the quarterback. Just look at J.J. Watt.

FUNBUNCHER
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
BYU didn't use Ansah as an edge rusher, or much of a designated pass rusher in general. They played him lined up inside the OT a lot.

I've seen very few Oline players who can handle Ansah one on one.

I still like Margus Hunt, but he's a project. He's going to need to be under the right DC playing in the right system, and right now I don't know if that's a 43 or 34 base defense.

K Train
02-07-2013, 12:57 AM
with how good of an athlete he is how would you guys feel of him as an OLB? he would be a nightmare coming off the edge in a 34, especially if he really can run in the 4.6s

hes so raw for a dlineman, but someone so long and fast with long arms could be an asset as a gigantic OLB....was just thinking that mario williams played a little giant OLB and peppers has stated that he would like to, i get hes not that caliber of player but hes certainly that kind of athlete.

havent seen too much of him, but if fatass woodley can play OLB im sure hunt could possibly make the switch..he came in 277, maybe even have him drop a few pounds, because if he were to play 34DE i would have wanted him to show up in the 300 pound range at his size. A 6-8 270 pound OLB could be pretty intriguing to some teams looking for someone to rush the passer from the outside

my thought it even if he only ever gets straight line sacks hes gotta be better than jason ******* worilds

bigbuc
02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
This guy is a 3rd rounder. He got owned at senior bowl. Yes is he big, but he's also like 26 years old. Maybe a 4th rounder

Cigaro
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
with how good of an athlete he is how would you guys feel of him as an OLB? he would be a nightmare coming off the edge in a 34, especially if he really can run in the 4.6s

hes so raw for a dlineman, but someone so long and fast with long arms could be an asset as a gigantic OLB....was just thinking that mario williams played a little giant OLB and peppers has stated that he would like to, i get hes not that caliber of player but hes certainly that kind of athlete.

havent seen too much of him, but if fatass woodley can play OLB im sure hunt could possibly make the switch..he came in 277, maybe even have him drop a few pounds, because if he were to play 34DE i would have wanted him to show up in the 300 pound range at his size. A 6-8 270 pound OLB could be pretty intriguing to some teams looking for someone to rush the passer from the outside

my thought it even if he only ever gets straight line sacks hes gotta be better than jason ******* worilds

I think 3-4 OLB would be even worse for him than 3-4 DE. He may be athletic, but he's not a speed rusher, and his pass rush skills are completely non-existent. I don't think a single offensive tackle would ever consider him as "nightmare" off of the edge.

gpngc
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
I liked him on tape. I didn't read any reports about him doing poorly at the Senior Bowl, but his size/skillset is extremely rare. I don't see how Dontari Poe, whose tape was no where near as good as Hunt's good go No. 12 and Hunt could fall out of the first.

brasho
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Well, it doesn't hurt that Ansah is also 4-5 years younger. Those of you that discount the advantage of being an overaged prospect need to do a little research on overaged OL and DL.

brasho
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I liked him on tape. I didn't read any reports about him doing poorly at the Senior Bowl, but his size/skillset is extremely rare. I don't see how Dontari Poe, whose tape was no where near as good as Hunt's good go No. 12 and Hunt could fall out of the first.

I don't think you had to read any reports about him doing poorly at the Senior Bowl, everybody and their mothers could plainly see that Hunt didn't even belong there. I was excited to see him there, I really wanted to see him do well, but he was a complete failure and didn't show that he could 1) be an edge rusher 2) hold inside and rush with power or 3) not get rag dolled against the run.

I don't care how big. fast. and supposedly strong he is, the only thing that shows up on tape for him is that he is tall. He has a tremendous amount of skills he needs to work on to come close to getting into an NFL DL rotation, and he has very little time to do it.

niel89
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
This guy is a 3rd rounder. He got owned at senior bowl. Yes is he big, but he's also like 26 years old. Maybe a 4th rounder

I agree. My positive opinion of him died at the Senior Bowl. As a player he just isn't the sum of his parts. I don't care how big/fast/strong a guy is if he can't rush the passer or hold up in the run game. There is too much talk about what he could be, and not enough on what he is.

I don't like him in a 34 at DE or OLB at all. Not functionally strong enough or fluid enough for it. I would put him at 43 DE and hope he can refine his technique to be a solid run defender and then kick him inside to pass rush on 3rd downs.