PDA

View Full Version : Will there finally be a different AFC team in the Superbowl?

49ersfan_87
05-27-2012, 07:33 PM
In the last 9 years, 3 teams have represented the AFC in the SB

-Colts
-Steelers
-Patriots

While the NFC has had 8 different teams and a lot more parity. Which AFC team has the best shot of making the Superbowl this year, besides the 3 listed above (obviously the Colts won't make it this year)

I would say

1-Ravens
2-Broncos (Peyton Manning effect)
3-Texans
4-Jets

Potential sleeper team: Titans. I just like what they've been building and may be able to surprise some people.

Bulldogs
05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
It's safe to say the Colts won't make the Superbowl. I don't think the Steelers make it either, that defense continues to age and they lack a great running game. I could very well see a team like the Ravens, Broncos, or Texans making it.

Job Reborn
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't forget about the New York Tebows...

Ness
05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Texans or Ravens are my guess.

bigbluedefense
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
I like the Texans if Schaub can put it together, or the Ravens if Flacco takes the next step, but I don't expect him to. The AFC is weak right now. I don't like the Jets qb situation, the Broncos don't have enough around Peyton just yet, although they are built awfully similar to the Peyton Colts right now so I won't count them out, the Chiefs don't have a qb, the Chargers don't have enough talent.

I still think the 2 big contenders from the AFC are the Pats and Steelers, but if we have to pick outside those 2, I'm going with the Texans or Ravens.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-28-2012, 12:14 PM
As long as Dick L. is the steelers DC, I can see them going back. BIll B and the Pats should always be a favorite. Ravens were close, but interested to see if they can take that step and make the SB.

bigbluedefense
05-28-2012, 12:30 PM
LeBeau needs some DBs though. That Pittsburgh defense is traditionally built on a sick front 7 but with the passing game becoming so prevalent, they need to invest in some corners.

That Cover 2 shell they use can only do so much.

descendency
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Since 2001 (Super Bowl XXXVI), there have only been 4 AFC Teams (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Raiders).

I think the only (NFC) team to get to the Super Bowl twice in that span is the Giants.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-28-2012, 12:46 PM
LeBeau needs some DBs though. That Pittsburgh defense is traditionally built on a sick front 7 but with the passing game becoming so prevalent, they need to invest in some corners.

As long as he is there though, great stuff happens. The guy is a legend and is a fixture there. I can see them making the playoffs again, if not go further. I have 1000% trust in him, not like our musical chairs of a DC thing. Imagine if we had consistency on that side of the ball?

Razor
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
If I were to rank the AFC top contenders right now I'd say:

1. New England Patriots
I can't bet against them. With the defense improved and a better group of receivers this should be a dangerous team.

2. Houston Texans
Explosive on both defense and offense. I doubt their depth though and the OL will miss their starters who are now elsewhere.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers
Even though the defense is getting long in the tooth and especially the defensive backfield is lacking their new OL should be able to allow them to run the ball more and go back to their roots.

HMs:
Baltimore Ravens: Flacco is pretty average, and with the defense missing Suggs who might not be his normal self in 2012 at least I don't see the Ravens being as good this year as they were in 2011.

Denver Broncos: Peyton will make them better, but they will not contend for the title.

PoopSandwich
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Weeden + Richardson = Super Bowl.

Razor
05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Since 2001 (Super Bowl XXXVI), there have only been 4 AFC Teams (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Raiders).

I think the only (NFC) team to get to the Super Bowl twice in that span is the Giants.

Colts played in the Super Bowl following the '06 and '09 seasons.

descendency
05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Colts played in the Super Bowl following the '06 and '09 seasons.

The Colts are in the AFC.

Razor
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
And I just read that completely wrong lol. I'll just go **** myself.

scar988
05-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm gonna think outside of the box on this one and go with Buffalo. I just feel like they have all the pieces needed to be really really good on defense and their offense should be able to get around 20-25 points a game.

Razor
05-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm gonna think outside of the box on this one and go with Buffalo. I just feel like they have all the pieces needed to be really really good on defense and their offense should be able to get around 20-25 points a game.

The thing about Buffalo is that they don't have any depth pretty much anywhere. Their QB is also prone to throwing dumb INTs, and their OL is still kinda spotty. I like what the Bills have done, but they're not there yet. Maybe a WC contender, but not a real contender for the title IMO.

bigbluedefense
05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Buffalo has potential as a wild card, but I can't see Fitzmagic in the SB.

I don't know if they have the secondary to get there either. I love that front 4, and I love Gailey's system, but they used a lot of smoke and mirrors last year on offense that got figured out halfway through the season, and their back 7 on defense needs improvement.

I'd like to see another playmaker on offense as well.

Sloopy
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I think you have to go Texans here.

A healthy Schaub and that team might have run train right through the playoffs.

ChiFan24
05-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I guess with some of the caliber of teams being mentioned, I'll be the first to say the Chargers. Not that I actually think they'll be that good, but maybe this year the absurdly bad luck will start swinging the other way. And while I think Rivers has regressed a little bit, I'll bet on him before I bet on Schaub or Fitzpatrick.

bigbluedefense
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
The problem I have with the Chargers is their lack of talent. They just aren't all that talented.

For them to make noise this year, Phillip Rivers is really going to have to elevate his game and take over games. He's capable of doing it, so we'll see how it goes.

ChiFan24
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
The problem I have with the Chargers is their lack of talent. They just aren't all that talented.

For them to make noise this year, Phillip Rivers is really going to have to elevate his game and take over games. He's capable of doing it, so we'll see how it goes.

Agreed, the talent level has certainly fallen off ever since Buddy Nix left for Buffalo. It would take a big year from Rivers and a bit of a renaissance from Gates. I think the defense is gonna be a lot less awful with Manusky gone, though.

bigbluedefense
05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Agreed, the talent level has certainly fallen off ever since Buddy Nix left for Buffalo. It would take a big year from Rivers and a bit of a renaissance from Gates. I think the defense is gonna be a lot less awful with Manusky gone, though.

Don't forget about Meachem. I think Meachem is being slept on, he can be a legit threat now that he'll be the focal point of the WR core.

SuperMcGee
05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Buffalo has potential as a wild card, but I can't see Fitzmagic in the SB.

I don't know if they have the secondary to get there either. I love that front 4, and I love Gailey's system, but they used a lot of smoke and mirrors last year on offense that got figured out halfway through the season, and their back 7 on defense needs improvement.

I'd like to see another playmaker on offense as well.

These are some legitimate concerns.

You could argue that the offense was figured out by week 4 against Cincinnati. Been a huge concern since then. Fitz may have been hurt by broken ribs after our great start, but you could see plain as day that the receivers weren't finding the space they had earlier. When Bell got hurt, Jackson was stuck in pass pro far too much and that took out a huge weapon in our passing game. And then there was no talent to overcome all this from the receiving corps, save Stevie. I crave another weapon there in the worst way. They're hoping it's going to be TJ Graham :/

The moves have already been made for the secondary. It's just a matter of how soon it can pay off. The safeties are set, starters and depth with a good group. The corners are relying on a couple of young talents, assuming McGee won't stay healthy. Gilmore and Williams can be big time players at the position, with a couple other young guys and maybe Leodis shuffling around the depth. It's all to be seen, such a green group. Williams showed promise last year, though. Obviously they're hoping the front 4 will make it a little easier on them.

Linebackers are not an impressive group. I expect a lot of big nickel involving Bryan Scott, with Barnett and Sheppard the mainstays of the group. Could be an average group and that could possibly be good enough. Definitely an area that could have been addressed this past offseason and many are looking forward to being addressed in the near future.

StickSkills
05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Chiefs gonna 1-up the 49ers.

WCH
05-28-2012, 08:21 PM

I agree with this, 100%. I wouldn't sleep on the Texans.

niel89
05-28-2012, 08:30 PM

I'm with you. I love the Texans this year. They have top top defense although losing Ryans hurts to a smaller extent. If Schaub didn't get hurt they are the easy AFC favorites entering the playoffs.

Sportsfan486
05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't think there is.

In likelihood of reaching the Super Bowl from the AFC I'd go..

1. Patriots
2. Steelers; I like their draft picks and they kept Mike Wallace, which was vital.
3. Texans; Schaub is likely the 4th best QB in the conference and they have an elite running attack and potentially elite D. Then again, Schaub is only the 4th best in the conference and only arguably top 10 in the NFL.
4. Baltimore; I worry a bit about that defense, age and injury wise. Letting Jarret Johnson go was a mistake. But they should have been there last year if not for the most unclutch drop in a long time.

I don't see any other team having a legit shot. The Chargers used to be the most talented, underachieving team but their talent level has really dropped and they have some huge holes. Maybe they'll turn into the overachieving team? Doubtful.

Iamcanadian
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM
It will be New England again unless injuries derail them. I cannot see another team in the AFC challenging them next year. They are going to be improved on both ends of the ball and their schedule is a cakewalk.
Schwab simply isn't good enough to get past NE. Pittsburgh looks to be rebuilding for a season, although they will be dangerous.
In todays game, you must have a great QB to get to the Super Bowl and the AFC is limited to 2. Rivers should be counted as 3 but his HC is useless eliminating him from contention. Peyton is old and will need time to recover even if he hasn't lost any skill with age.
The best QB's outside of Brady and Roethlisberger, reside in the NFL so the NFL will continue to win most Super Bowls.

OSUGiants17
05-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I think the Texans have a shot, but there are some holes on the O-Line and still no real threat opposite Andre. I think they are the biggest threat after New England with Pittsburgh behind Houston. I also love what the Titans have done lately and fully trust Locker to lead them to the playoffs in a year or two. Same with the Chiefs if they ever get a real QB. The Bengals look like an up and coming team as well.

Right now I rank the teams like this:
1. Patriots
2. Texans
3. Steelers
4. Ravens

Give it 2-4 years:
1. Texans
2. Titans(these two teams will become so much fun to watch going head-to-head twice a year)
3. Patriots(as long as Bill is there they are golden, plus Mallett is being groomed to take over for Brady when that day comes)
4. Bengals(still some holes to fill and a coach that I hate, but a lot of young talent with tons of potential)

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
It's probably going to be the Steelers. I think they can squeeze another year out of that defense, and Ben is money in the playoffs. Plus that WR core is very good and now they bolstered the oline.

it's hard making the SB twice in a row, so for that reason I'm giving Pittsburgh the edge.

OSUGiants17
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
It's probably going to be the Steelers. I think they can squeeze another year out of that defense, and Ben is money in the playoffs. Plus that WR core is very good and now they bolstered the oline.

it's hard making the SB twice in a row, so for that reason I'm giving Pittsburgh the edge.

Pittsburgh is always a scary team for this one reason: "Ben is money in the playoffs". An Elite QB, especially one who is as clutch as Ben can always make your team a threatening playoff team, but that Defense just doesn't seem like a Super Bowl D to me, but hey look at that Giants D this year and how well they did with a simple scheme change and when they had an elite QB with elite WRs. I think New England and Houston have a better shot now at making the Super Bowl, but it would not surprise me one bit if Pitt made it.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah there aren't many qbs i rather have over Ben in the playoffs. And in a weak AFC, he can definitely take advantage.

The Steelers are kind of built like the Giants. Great qb, great 3 WR set, mediocre OL (although pittsburgh really bolstered theirs), very good defense (although Pittsburgh's is old), mediocre run game.

And most importantly a clutch qb who gets it done in the playoffs. I wouldn't sleep on Pittsburgh.

OSUGiants17
05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah there aren't many qbs i rather have over Ben in the playoffs. And in a weak AFC, he can definitely take advantage.

The Steelers are kind of built like the Giants. Great qb, great 3 WR set, mediocre OL (although pittsburgh really bolstered theirs), very good defense (although Pittsburgh's is old), mediocre run game.

And most importantly a clutch qb who gets it done in the playoffs. I wouldn't sleep on Pittsburgh.

I agree with everything you said, Pittsburgh is not a team to sleep on. If they make the playoffs you can never count them out.

Smooth Criminal
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Steelers and Patriots will always been considered contenders in my mind as long as they have their QBs. Safe to say the Colts arent. I'd say there's about a 50-50 chance it's the Pats/Steelers again or someone like Houston or Baltimore. Denvers the only other team that I think could make a run, never know what Manning is gonna do to that team.

onejayhawk
05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I would put the rest of the Conference:

1) Texans

2) Ravens
3-5) Chiefs, Chargers and Titans.

I would go about 2-1 on Houston out right, with the Pats 3-1.

J

stlouisfan37
05-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Every year I look at the Ravens' roster and I think, "Man, that team is loaded!" And then I watch them a few times and I always walk away thinking, "They just can't get that offense into a rhythm!"

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Cincinnati. Just cuz.

RCAChainGang
05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Broncos are my pick for the AFC.

Jvig43
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Homerism aside Im gonna have to say Patriots.

RaiderNation
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
If Peyton can return to form the Broncos should be the right up there with New England, Baltimore and Houston. I'd place Denver 3rd/4th with Houston on their odds to make it from the AFC. It all just depends on how Manning and Schaub bounce back and if they can stay healthy.

onejayhawk
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I dont see Denver. Their defense is good, but not outstanding. Peyton Manning has a whole roster to adjust to and a new offense to learn, and dont forget he's 36 years old. I would put them 3rd in the division.

Kansas City will go as far as an elite defense and ground game can take them, given that Matt Cassel is driving. San Diego still has a fantastic roster, though IMO it was better in 2010 when they first missed the playoffs. They will go as far as their coaching staff can take them. Denver is next, then Oakland.

J

RCAChainGang
05-30-2012, 08:41 PM
I dont see Denver. Their defense is good, but not outstanding. Peyton Manning has a whole roster to adjust to and a new offense to learn, and dont forget he's 36 years old. I would put them 3rd in the division.

Kansas City will go as far as an elite defense and ground game can take them, given that Matt Cassel is driving. San Diego still has a fantastic roster, though IMO it was better in 2010 when they first missed the playoffs. They will go as far as their coaching staff can take them. Denver is next, then Oakland.

J

But... Norv Turner...

onejayhawk
05-31-2012, 06:13 AM

J

But... Norv Turner...

I think I covered that.

I would rather have Cassel/Quinn/Stanzi than Norv.

J

BeerBaron
05-31-2012, 07:26 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Ravens are never going to the Superbowl with Cam Cameron as their OC. Hiring another ultra conservative DC in Dean Pees won't help either.

Last year was their best shot. Take away Suggs, leave the ****** coordinators, add in the Ray Rice contract situation (even if he doesn't miss any games, guys sitting out the entire offseason generally come back in worse condition and more prone to injuries) AND throw in the fact that I don't think Joe Flacco is ever taking that next step.....and nope.

bigbluedefense
05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
It's really more Joe Flacco than anything else. The bottom line is if you want to be a SB team, you need a stud qb. Look at the past 12 years. Literally 10 out of those 12 years the SB winning qb was a stud.

Flacco isn't that guy. And he might not ever be that guy.

As awful as Pees is, the Ravens defense is great no matter who calls the plays. The defense won't be as good, but will still be fine. But offensively, it really depends on Flacco. Time to step up. I know Cameron is not the best, but he needs to make plays. The talent is there. Flacco has to step it up.

BeerBaron
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
It's really more Joe Flacco than anything else. The bottom line is if you want to be a SB team, you need a stud qb. Look at the past 12 years. Literally 10 out of those 12 years the SB winning qb was a stud.

As awful as Pees is, the Ravens defense is great no matter who calls the plays. The defense won't be as good, but will still be fine. But offensively, it really depends on Flacco. Time to step up. I know Cameron is not the best, but he needs to make plays. The talent is there. Flacco has to step it up.

To your first point, you can even look at the last 10 teams to play in a Superbowl. The QBs go: Eli, Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, Peyton, Ben, Warner, Eli, Brady.

Every guy on that list either already has or is well on their way to having a hall of fame resume.

Throw on top of Flacco the fact that his OC sucks, his stud RB is holding out and most of his pass catchers suck, and you've got a serious problem.

Also, further compounding things on defense even beyond Pees conservatism is that Suggs is out. One of the few proven guys they have who can get pressure on the QB no matter what.

K Train
05-31-2012, 09:24 AM

Carnell Lake has worked magic with the young DBs....Ike and Troy are old but still playing well, Keenan Lewis has come a long way, they are in love with cortez allen and curtis brown (i think brown replaces *** and allen ultimately replaces clark at FS)

Ike had one bad game at the worst time but was brilliant all year long (probably easily top 5 stat wise....he allowed 3 WRs over 50 yards and gave up 3 TDs and one of those were in garbage time against the jags)

The steelers defense is getting much younger with aaron smith and farrior out, casey hampton on his way out and guys like heyward, taamu, mcclendon, hood, timmons, woodley becoming the core of the defense

Sportsfan486
05-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Every year I look at the Ravens' roster and I think, "Man, that team is loaded!" And then I watch them a few times and I always walk away thinking, "They just can't get that offense into a rhythm!"

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Cincinnati. Just cuz.

His name is Joe Flacco. He's not a good QB but gets weird hype that makes him sound fairly decent, but the reality is he just isn't good. Whenever I watch him play I understand how that offense can't take off even when it has weapons; he's such a slow, plodding decision maker with horrible accuracy issues inside the markers.

And I am in such agreement about elite QBs. For so long the AFC reigned supreme with them but now the NFC is just flat out superior. Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Stafford, with a couple others being conceivably in that field after next year (most notably Cam and Vick if he bounces back to 2010 form.) Who does the AFC have that has a legit shot at getting into the elite tier in the next two years? Brady, Ben and Manning if he's recovered. It's really kind of mind boggling.

Ngatachance92
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
This may be the homer in me talking, but you will all nibble on your words about Joe Flacco.(wanted to say eat but I only see him getting marginally better)

He's the best quarterback we've had and I know that's not saying much with our track record at QB but he is not a bad QB. Not elite but he can get the job done like he almost did last year if the season breaks our way. So far with the Suggs thing its not looking good, but it is possible and I will stick with my Qb til the end.

bigbluedefense
05-31-2012, 11:39 PM
I admit there are some things that the Ravens need to do to maximize Flacco's effectiveness.

1. I think Flacco is at his best when he can throw it downfield. An Air Coryell offense is perfect for him, and Cameron's offense is built to be as such. However, if you're going to run that offense, get some fast WRs! The only speed WR they have was a rookie who only knew how to run a go route. And he was their best WR.

Get some more speed at WR and let him wing it downfield.

2. Run the ball more. Ray Rice is pretty good.

However, whenever you evaluate a player, the key is to isolate the player. You hear scouts say it all the time. Isolate the player.

Flacco struggles to make reads, he goes through his progressions very slowly, he has a horrible blind side, he has poor pocket presence, and he struggles to read defenses. He also lacks accuracy on intermediate throws.

My biggest problems are his pocket presence, and his slow progressions. Those 2 things are difficult to fix at this point in his career. And you can only go so far as a qb when you have those issues.

bigbluedefense
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
To add to my statement about running the ball more, I have to be careful on how I state that.

Yes they do have to run the ball more, but you can't just run the ball more with Ray Rice. It's simple to say, but you have to be aware of his touches. Think about it, we ***** about him not touching the ball enough, the man had 291 carries this year. That's a lot of carries. And that doesn't even count how many passes he caught.

Needless to say he got a ton of plays his way on offense. So to say they need to feed it to him more is not really accurate. That's fan talk. He got the ball plenty of times.

But they do need to run it more. Which means they need a 2nd RB who can spell Rice and deliver quality results. I don't know if they currently have that guy on the roster, if they do, use him. If they don't, they should have gotten a guy.

Ness
06-01-2012, 12:52 AM

Well the last two years, the Ravens exit from the playoffs shouldn't fall on his shoulders more than anyone else. Remember in the Steelers game two years ago? The one were Ray Rice fumbled in the third quarter and then in the 4th quarter Houshmandzadeh and Boldin dropped a few crucial passes.

This past season Lee Evans had a chance to win the game but dropped a ball that seemed like he should have caught. Then there was the Cundiff miss. Flacco shouldn't be held accountable for that kind of thing. He's not Peyton Manning and he's not going to put up Aaron Rodgers numbers, but if Flacco were to retire tomorrow I personally wouldn't say that he was the guy that held Baltimore back these last four years in their quest to get to a Super Bowl.

Who does the AFC have that has a legit shot at getting into the elite tier in the next two years? Brady, Ben and Manning if he's recovered. It's really kind of mind boggling.

Houston. Assuming Schaub is healthy. Maybe the Chargers bounce back also.

rodgers 4 mvp
06-01-2012, 01:17 AM
I think Kansas City can make a run for the super bowl, if they stay healthy. They have a good defence and alot of weapons on offence.

MidwayMonster31
06-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Kansas City is a decent choice. Their defense was playing great at the end of last year, they have good receivers (if Charles can return to form a good running back), but they go as far as Cassel takes them.
I don't think Denver is there yet, especially in their secondary and D-Line.
I also think Houston could have won the whole thing last year if Schaub didn't get hurt. If the defense plays as well as it did last year, they can go far.

Bolt
06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I feel bad for Chiefs fans because the D (even without Carr) is still very good, and they have a ton of offensive weapons, but have Matt Cassel. I just can't see Cassel as a guy who can make a playoff run.

onejayhawk
06-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I feel bad for Chiefs fans because the D (even without Carr) is still very good, and they have a ton of offensive weapons, but have Matt Cassel. I just can't see Cassel as a guy who can make a playoff run.

When you say "the D (even without Carr) is still very good: I think you sell them short. Routt is not as good as Carr, but he is not a chump. The real story in the secondary is Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis, both coming off injuries. Those two could make waves this season. The front 7 is stacked two deep except one ILB. Justin Houston had a fine rookie year and he could develop into a monster. Issues at NT have been addressed. This is Romeo Crennel's second season, and anything less than top 10 will be a big disappointment. They could take a run at Baltimore, Houston and Pittsburgh for the best in the AFC.

On offense, attention is focused on Cassel, but I think the real story will be the OL. If they integrate two (or three) new starters smoothly, everything should work. Peyton Hillis and Jamaal Charles will be as good as any pair in the league. Cassel can play the play action game very well, with a ton of weapons. Baldwin and Bowe are a very good pair of WR, with Moeaki at TE, while JC, Hillis and Dexter McCluster are all outstanding out of the backfield.

The schedule is a bear. The first five weeks:
Week 1: (pick) vs. Atlanta
Week 2: (+2.5) at Buffalo
Week 3: (+7) at New Orleans
Week 4: (+1) vs. San Diego
Week 5: (+3) vs. Baltimore

However, they could win 8 of the remaining 11.

J

KCStud
06-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Man if KC puts it together and gets a QB, they are gonna rape the AFC for a long time. So much talent on the team and the oldest starter is 30 (only 3 starters are 30).

Broncos still can't stop the run and their OL is very suspect, Chargers aren't what they used to be, Ravens have a shot because their running game and defense is top notch and Flacco is good enough to at least give them a shot at the SB, Texans could be good but I don't think they're ready yet, Bengals aren't ready either.

I like the Pats and Steelers. Pats defense will be improved along with their weapons. Steelers OL should be much better and getting Todd Haley will pay dividends. As a Chiefs fan I know he sucks as a coach, but the guy knows offense. He will make the WR's even better.

scottyboy
06-03-2012, 06:51 AM
I love KC's team and I love the fans here, but I can't buy them as super bowl contenders with Cassel. Honestly, look at the most recent super bowl champs:
giants
packers
saints
steelers
giants
colts
steelers
patriots
patriots

Notice a trend? Elite QB's. All of them. I just don't buy them as legit contenders with Cassel. It's not even like they've got a good or great QB ala Rivers or Schaub. It's Matt Cassel.

The rest of the team is great, but when you get to the playoffs, the QB needs to be able to step it up and lead and make the big plays, and I just don't believe Cassel is that guy

WCH
06-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I love KC's team and I love the fans here, but I can't buy them as super bowl contenders with Cassel. Honestly, look at the most recent super bowl champs:
giants
packers
saints
steelers
giants
colts
steelers
patriots
patriots

Notice a trend? Elite QB's. All of them. I just don't buy them as legit contenders with Cassel. It's not even like they've got a good or great QB ala Rivers or Schaub. It's Matt Cassel.

The rest of the team is great, but when you get to the playoffs, the QB needs to be able to step it up and lead and make the big plays, and I just don't believe Cassel is that guy

That's not even a recent trend, or a product of the pass-first era. Except for a few years in the 80s and the Trent Dilfer fluke, it's holds true going back at least as far as the 60's. Even during the run-oriented 70's: elite quarterbacks. All of them.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
That's not even a recent trend, or a product of the pass-first era. Except for a few years in the 80s and the Trent Dilfer fluke, it's holds true going back at least as far as the 60's. Even during the run-oriented 70's: elite quarterbacks. All of them.

Also, how many of the teams had good coaching and good defenses? Elite Qbs is one element of it, but there are others such as good defense or at worst opportunistic defenses that cause turnovers, and then their respective offenses make you pay. Also, good coaching is very important element too.

Coughlin, Payton, GB's coach, Tomlin, Cowher ( Dick L. DC) , Dungy, and a HOF in Bill B.

Those are some great HCs right there. Yeah elite QBs are a must, but there are other highly valued components there too.

49ersfan_87
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
The "problem" with the Chiefs is they're talented enough to win games, even with average QB's like Cassel (but they'll likely never go deep in the playoffs with him either). They also play in a weak division. So even with Cassel they can go 7-9 or 8-8, which is usually top 11-16 range. That's just outside of range for the top QB's (and we saw what WAS paid to STL for RG3). So they're going to have to take a chance on 2nd tier QB prospects and coach them up, while likely missing on top QB prospects in the immediate near future.

KCStud
06-03-2012, 03:34 PM
KC is going to be running the same plan that the 2006 Bears and 2011 49ers ran....very good defense and running game to hide the game manager at QB.

scottyboy
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
KC is going to be running the same plan that the 2006 Bears and 2011 49ers ran....very good defense and running game to hide the game manager at QB.

yet neither of those teams won the super bowl and I don't think KC's D is quite up to the levels of those 2 teams.

bigbluedefense
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
KC is gonna have to suck it up and trade the farm to move up in the 1st round and draft a qb this year. They can't continue looking for bargain qbs. They rarely work. Can't waste this upcoming roster with a mediocre qb at the helm.

KCStud
06-03-2012, 09:23 PM
KC is gonna have to suck it up and trade the farm to move up in the 1st round and draft a qb this year. They can't continue looking for bargain qbs. They rarely work. Can't waste this upcoming roster with a mediocre qb at the helm.

Believe me when I say KC is emphasizing this daily. We did this **** in the 90's and have ever since. It's time to freaking draft a highly touted QB!!!

The staff is very high on Stanzi though, for what that's worth.

Ness
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM

You need a complete team though. Good quarterbacks just seem a little more difficult to find than putting together the rest of the roster.

yodabear
06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Kansas City Chiefs...ALL MISSOURI SUPER BOWL BITCHES!

VAfy-ya
06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Im going to say the Bengals. They have talent literally everywhere on that roster. Not sure how the RB situation will play out but they made steps last year. If Dalton can take the next step in his development and Zimmer does what I think he will with that defense, they may be on the verge of something. Honorable mention goes to the Texans.

Sportsfan486
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
The more I hear about Manning looking good throwing the ball, the more on board I get with the Broncos. Granted, you don't want to listen too much to these OTA reports but just the fact that he's throwing it is enough to up the Broncos stock for me.

That defense is legit and surely a top 10, 15 at the worst unit in the NFL.

The running game will be effective. The question is mainly how good the offensive weapons will be for Manning, to which I'd say they're somewhat mediocre but not bad. And if Manning is even 80% of his old self, he'll make them all better.

They got embarrassed by the Pats in the playoffs but they also beat the Steelers with Tebow at QB. I'm starting to put them in the top 4 contenders in the AFC.

RCAChainGang
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm telling you man the Broncos are going to be legit. Give Peyton a defense that is somewhat good and he will do great things.