PDA

View Full Version : Hard Knocks with the Dolphins

Complex
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin told reporters on Tuesday that the team will showcase itself on HBO's training camp reality show "Hard Knocks" this year.

The rookie coach he was excited to reveal the new direction of the organization on the behind-the-scenes show.

Who is excited?

vidae
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Mehhhhhhhhhh.

Don Vito
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Would of been better if Brandon Marshall was still there, if there was any AFC East team I wanted to see on the show it would be Buffalo. Lots of great storylines there with the addition of Williams and the feel good stories like Fitz, Fred Jackson, and Stevie Johnson.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Boring choice but I feel like a lot of organizations don't want to be a part of this anymore.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
This also seems dumb on the Dolphins part to have camera's in Tannehill's face for the duration of camp. It's tough enough coming into the NFL and learning how to play QB without a big distraction like this.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:47 PM
I actually would have preferred the Jaguars over the Dolphins. The Dolphins are boring.

At least it would have been hilarious watching Blaine Gabbert with the Jaguars.

Bulldogs
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I'll still watch. It's easy to just call them "boring" without giving them a shot but you never really know what they're like until you see them on the screen. HBO always finds a way to make these interesting.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm still gonna watch too. I guess the Jets spoiled it for everyone else. Nobody is gonna live up to the Jets Hard Knocks. That was great.

tjsunstein
05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
New HC.
Rookie QB. Vs. Matt Moore vs. David Garrard.
Lamar Miller UMiami to the Dolphins.

Meh.

Caulibflower
05-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Hopefully they focus on owners Jennifer Lopez, Fergie and Venus & Serena Williams. Maybe Reggie Bush will date a couple of them?

yodabear
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
QB Controversy

Uh, uh, uh, uh I got nothing else, but at least they found a team. It will be good to at least have a team, it looked like they might not get one. It should still be fun.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Had Raheem Morris been the coach of Tampa still, that would have made a great hard knocks team.

Schiano doesn't play that **** though. I love Schiano, he's going to be a great coach.

Smooth Criminal
05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Not interested. Would have loved the Steelers to do it.

General Zod
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Didn't Miami already do Hard Knocks? It was called "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Had Raheem Morris been the coach of Tampa still, that would have made a great hard knocks team.

Schiano doesn't play that **** though. I love Schiano, he's going to be a great coach.

His actual gameday coaching leaves a lot to be desired which would scare me as a Bucs fan. At Rutgers he was in the Andy Reid/Herm Edwards level of questionable decisions. He did improve through the years though. His defense will be very good though. I wish we saw him as an NFL DC before he made the leap to HC.

Brodeur
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Do they even have any interesting personalities?

Complex
05-29-2012, 02:20 PM

Vontae Davis and Reggie Bush?

Brodeur
05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Vontae Davis and Reggie Bush?

Reggie Bush is an uber religious guy who tries to stay out of the spotlight, and hell if I know with Vontae.

jrdrylie
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Reggie Bush is an uber religious guy who tries to stay out of the spotlight, and hell if I know with Vontae.

What? Dating a Kardashian is not something an uber religious guy or a guy who wants to stay out of the spotlight would do.

Brodeur
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
What? Dating a Kardashian is not something an uber religious guy or a guy who wants to stay out of the spotlight would do.

There's a reason he got out of it.

Marino13
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm excited as a Fin fan, I think there is some potential.

1.Rookie head coach who got his big break weeks after his son dies.
2.First time DC
3.Reggie Bush building off of his first 1,000 season
4.Switch to a new offense.
5.Tannehill being the first QB taken in the first round by Miami since Marino
6.Ireland and Ross's battle with the media
7.Davone Bess's story
8. Really just trying to find somebody to replace Marshall.

Caulibflower
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
How many times are they going to say something like, "Reggie Bush may be quietly building towards a huge season."

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 03:01 PM
His actual gameday coaching leaves a lot to be desired which would scare me as a Bucs fan. At Rutgers he was in the Andy Reid/Herm Edwards level of questionable decisions. He did improve through the years though. His defense will be very good though. I wish we saw him as an NFL DC before he made the leap to HC.

Hopefully he gets fired just in time to become our next defensive coordinator.

Complex
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
There's a reason he got out of it.

Cause he upgraded

http://yeeeah.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/melissa-molinaro-8-530x397.jpg

TACKLE
05-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Karlos Dansby. Can't think of anybody else.

Monomach
05-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Hopefully they focus on owners Jennifer Lopez, Fergie and Venus & Serena Williams. Maybe Reggie Bush will date a couple of them?

I thought Reggie Bush was into women?

UKfan
05-29-2012, 05:07 PM
I wish Channing Crowder was still there, I'd have paid good money for that!

vidae
05-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I ******* hated watching the Jets week to week. I can't stand half of the players or coaches on that team. I'm just glad it wasn't them again.

WCH
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM

True, but dating Kim Kardashian is something that a straight man would do.

yo123
05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
HBO will make it work. I guarantee the Dolphins don't an entire roster full of boring players, even if we don't know of many personalities right now.

draftguru151
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Sean Smith is pretty funny/awesome on twitter. But yea this would be better if Brandon Marshall and Channing Crowder were still around.

sbh15
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Reggie Bush flying under the radar is precisely why I'd like to see him on this show. it'll be very interesting to see what the guy has to say, especially someone who had such huge expectations

niel89
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
HBO will make it work. I guarantee the Dolphins don't an entire roster full of boring players, even if we don't know of many personalities right now.

Exactly. It honestly doesn't matter what team they choose. They will find a way to make it a great show and give us bubble players to cheer for.

Bengalsrocket
05-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Exactly. It honestly doesn't matter what team they choose. They will find a way to make it a great show and give us bubble players to cheer for.

Exactly. Every season of Hard Knocks has been at least entertaining. There has to be 2 receivers fighting for that last roster spot for the Dolphins just like every other team. And while the Dolphins don't have a Chad Ochocinco or a Rex Ryan yet, maybe putting a camera in front of someone will turn them into one.

Da-Phins
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
******* awesome!

Dolphins actually do have quite of bit of players with some personality. People are gonna find out that Vontae Davis is dumb as ****(prob already know that) when he talks, Sean Smith is a funny dude and Richie Incognito is a hilarious mofo.

Wouldnt be surprised to see TE Les Brown as one of the under dog guys who will be followed around alot. Oh and no doubt we will see alot of Ryan Tannehill's wife.

hockey619
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh and no doubt we will see alot of Ryan Tannehill's wife.

will it be as often and awesome as seeing brodie croyle's wife was? cause his wife is ******* smokin

K Train
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
channing crowder and marshall need to come back and this would be gold

Da-Phins
05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
will it be as often and awesome as seeing brodie croyle's wife was? cause his wife is ******* smokin

http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Ryan-Tannehill-Wife.jpg

http://www.mydochub.com/images/ryan-tannehill-wife-lauren-tannehill.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2aHtVOGz3Qo/TtB05P47IkI/AAAAAAAAEpQ/m6JKHlxfr7U/s1600/index.png

Need I say more?

KCStud
06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't give a damn about Tannehill or Bush!

Just put Tannehill's wife on there. Oh and HBO, this would make the ratings much better by including these women on here too.

http://youtu.be/FIfbghHdG1s

OH MY GAWD!!!

yodabear
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Can we see Mrs. Tannehill's Bush? See what I did there?

OSUGiants17
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Just show Tannehill's wife and the cheerleaders who did that Call Me Maybe video

Grizzlegom
08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
That shot of Chad Johnson was...interesting... :facepalm:

sbh15
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
is Vontae Davis literate?

Grizzlegom
08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
"If you pause Call of Duty for someone, that's the ******* one."

ChiFan24
08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm already on the Dolphins bandwagon. It took 51 minutes. Just lose Les Brown and they're good to go.

vidae
08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Les Brown has a hottie for a girlfriend though. Keep him.

Overall though that was an entertaining hour of TV. Worlds better than anything the Jets showed.

gpngc
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Anybody else a little underwhelmed by the small sample size of Philbin?

Doesn't strike me as a coach I'd run through a wall for...

The depth chart scene was awkward and I thought he was out of line a little talking to Chad after he cursed at his PC. Didn't even look Chad in the eye. Weird.

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Tannehill's wife seemed like a normal blond moron.

Brent
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Tannehill's wife seemed like a normal 20-something girl from Texas.
fixed it for you

ChiFan24
08-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Les Brown has a hottie for a girlfriend though. Keep him.

Yeah that genuinely shocked me. But then he said something like, "you're looking hot as yoozh" that made me hate him. Cut his ass.

GaMeTiMe
08-08-2012, 03:39 AM
I think we all understand the Dolphins aren't a playoff team..Hardknocks will only reflect most of the reasons why. Doesnt mean it doesn't make for entertaining tv, I'd take such training camp insight with any team in the league.

TACKLE
08-08-2012, 04:16 AM
The depth chart scene was awkward

Chad upped his troll game after learning from the trollmaster last year in New England. The Dolphins just weren't ready for it yet.

edit - oh you meant Philbin. I thought you meant when Chad walked in when they were setting their depth chart.

That episode needed moar Lamar.

49ersfan_87
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Anybody else a little underwhelmed by the small sample size of Philbin?

Doesn't strike me as a coach I'd run through a wall for...

The depth chart scene was awkward and I thought he was out of line a little talking to Chad after he cursed at his PC. Didn't even look Chad in the eye. Weird.

Personality seemed kind of off and he isn't particularly motivating. I did like his ingenuity with practice, where the 1's take a snap on 1 side of the field, then the 2's immediately take a snap on the other side while the 1's re-group.

Agree with you on the depth chart scene. The coach and the QB's were doing their thing, he comes in and everyone (even the coach) just stop in their tracks. Cut the tension with a knife.

Ness
08-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I actually liked Philbin. Seemed like a normal-boss type. Really professional. Personally, I don't think you need a "rah-rah" coach all the time or someone that is going to get hyped up to make you try hard a la Mike Singletary. You should be doing that already.

I also enjoyed the 15 second cheerleader practice scene. That was awesome.

Scotty D
08-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but from what I saw Chad looks pretty good so far.

Ness
08-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Maybe things will work out for him this year. It would be nice to see him back on top.

Razor
08-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but from what I saw Chad looks pretty good so far.

He can't look any worse than last year, that's for sure. Chad is still a good receiver, he just didn't comprehend the defense in NE. I think Chad can still be a 1000 yard receiver in the Miami offense, especially since he's so motivated to prove that he's not done. It didn't work out in NE, but that doesn't mean that he's done.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Any one have a link where I can watch?

tjsunstein
08-09-2012, 08:25 AM
It's not on HBOGO? Therefore I also need a link.

Dr. Gonzo
08-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Watchseries-online.eu and check the index for hard knocks.

bigbluedefense
08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Chad's problem isn't physical. He was just a terrible fit for the NE offense. He can't read defenses and he's an awful route runner. He can't play any option routes, he's awful at it, and the NE offense lives and dies with the option route.

I called it from day 1, I saw that disaster coming. In a more strict route tree offense like the WCO, he should be productive. He's not as quick as he used to be, so don't expect the old Chad Johnson, but he can still be productive. He won't be abysmal like he was in NE.

Razor
08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Any one have a link where I can watch?

It's not on HBOGO? Therefore I also need a link.

I found it on www.torrentz.eu

Complex
08-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Its also on project free tv

dolphinfan2k5
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
HBO made the first episode available for free online.

http://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks/episodes/miami-dolphins/1-episode/video/episode-01.html?autoplay=true

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I think we all understand the Dolphins aren't a playoff team..Hardknocks will only reflect most of the reasons why. Doesnt mean it doesn't make for entertaining tv, I'd take such training camp insight with any team in the league.

Thank you. I love this kinda stuff, it could have been the Rams. I thought it was a nice insight on how that rookie was invited to camp, spent the night with his playbook visualizing what he was going to do, then got his walking papers before he even put his pads on. Messed up but that's the life of the NFL and it's interesting to me.

I'm happy to see Chad going back to his former self, he's their best WR regardless of the fact so he should have a nice bounce back season, but at least he called it like it was, exposed. He likes the attention, but he's never been annoying to me. Says a lot that he went to NE and shut himself down completely, and knowing how much he loves the spotlight shows that he respects Bill, sure he was garbage but he got away from all of that stuff.

Chad will still go down as one of my favorite WR's of the decade though when he was on top of his game, he had a 6 year stretch that was pretty remarkable. He was almost a lock for 90/1300/9 every single year.

Ness
08-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Chad's problem isn't physical. He was just a terrible fit for the NE offense. He can't read defenses and he's an awful route runner. He can't play any option routes, he's awful at it, and the NE offense lives and dies with the option route.

I called it from day 1, I saw that disaster coming. In a more strict route tree offense like the WCO, he should be productive. He's not as quick as he used to be, so don't expect the old Chad Johnson, but he can still be productive. He won't be abysmal like he was in NE.

He may not have been a fit for that offense, but you don't have the career that Chad has had being an awful route runner.

bigbluedefense
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
He may not have been a fit for that offense, but you don't have the career that Chad has had being an awful route runner.

When you're running the wrong route half the time, you're an awful route runner.

Explosiveness can mask a lot of errors in your game. DJax is a productive WR bc he's explosive, but if you watch his route running you'll see that he's not polished at all, he rounds his cuts constantly.

Chad was productive bc he used to be explosive. He never rounded his cuts like Jackson but he would run the wrong routes often. Even with a more strict route tree where there are no options.

Production is production. But being productive doesn't automatically mean you were a technician as well.

ChiFan24
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Also, am I crazy, or is Matt Moore clearly the QB there? Unless Tannehill unexpectedly outplays him right away, I think it's Moore over Garrard all the way.

SuperPacker
08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I felt so bad for Derek Dennis! :(

Ness
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
When you're running the wrong route half the time, you're an awful route runner.

Explosiveness can mask a lot of errors in your game. DJax is a productive WR bc he's explosive, but if you watch his route running you'll see that he's not polished at all, he rounds his cuts constantly.

Chad was productive bc he used to be explosive. He never rounded his cuts like Jackson but he would run the wrong routes often. Even with a more strict route tree where there are no options.

Production is production. But being productive doesn't automatically mean you were a technician as well.

Completely disagree. Just because you are explosive doesn't mean you have an advantage in terms being productive. Chad has been doing this for a while, and watching him over the years he has lost a lot of his spark, but that doesn't mean he has always been a terrible route runner. He ran a variety of different routes during the bulk of his career in with the Bengals and was good at it. Chad's problem in recent years is mostly due to self-admitted laziness and age, but that doesn't mean he was a fraud the majority of his career. You don't make six Pro Bowls and two first team All Pros at his position only because you were explosive and don't bring anything else to the table. If he was running the wrong routes half the time he wouldn't have had the career he did.

sbh15
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Also, am I crazy, or is Matt Moore clearly the QB there? Unless Tannehill unexpectedly outplays him right away, I think it's Moore over Garrard all the way.

yeah it seems pretty clear the Moore will start the year. he did play very well down the stretch last season, too

dolphinfan2k5
08-10-2012, 03:02 AM

Why do you say that. Garrard is listed #1 and has been having better practices. Looks like Garrard all the way to me.

Cudders
08-10-2012, 08:11 AM
As far as I can see, there are two roads the Dolphins can take with their quarterback situation.

The first, and the road the coaching staff seems to be taking, is viewing Garrard as the better option for Miami at this point in time. Philbin is coming in and installing a brand new offensive scheme and it doesn’t surprise me that Garrard is immersing himself in it more than Moore. Garrard is a grizzled veteran with better applicable experience. So, in the constant win-now atmosphere, it makes sense that Philbin opts for the best win-now quarterback.

But, if Moore’s performance is at least comparable to Garrard’s, I think Moore should get the nod over him.

Garrard is what he is. He’s had a good NFL career. He’s a solid caretaker that can show up and has even been a little more than that in some games, but his upside is fixed. Quarterbacks in their mid-thirties don’t experience monumental improvements. The odds that he comes out and carries this team past their meager expectations with a string of spectacular performances after sitting out of football for a full season are quite slim-to-downright impossible. There are things to like about Garrard, but there is nothing to love.

With Moore, there is more room around the margins to work with. Age is on his side in comparison with Garrard and there is greater reason to believe he’s got untapped ability. Moore only has twenty-five starts to his entire career. A third of what Garrard has under his belt. Plus, he’s still got certain ‘win-now’ qualities about him. He inherited an 0-4 football team from Chad Henne and then went 6-6 in the remaining twelve starts.

Moore is the more flexible short-term and long-term option. Short-term, Moore can show the coaching staff what he’s got and let Philbin get a more accurate pulse. In that time, he can either impress or prove to be more of the same or fall flat on his face. If he impresses, Miami can entertain the idea of trading him and getting a return out of him before handing the franchise over to Tannehill. We’ve seen backups retrieve decent assets from quarterback-starved teams. If he proves to be more of the same, Miami has the option of competing to keep him as insurance to Tannehill. And having a great bullpen quarterback is comforting to a coach. And, if he falls on his face, Miami can still look to Garrard to right the ship.

That said, the most intriguing aspect of the Dolphins’ quarterback situation is when Tannehill gets his shot. If he’s going out there and competing and impressing coaches, there’s no reason to hold him back and stunt his development. Garrard and Moore can be solid. Tannehill can be much more than that.

K Train
08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
gotta say as much as i hate chad johnson i watched hard knocks on demand and the dude is funny as hell

bigbluedefense
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Completely disagree. Just because you are explosive doesn't mean you have an advantage in terms being productive. Chad has been doing this for a while, and watching him over the years he has lost a lot of his spark, but that doesn't mean he has always been a terrible route runner. He ran a variety of different routes during the bulk of his career in with the Bengals and was good at it. Chad's problem in recent years is mostly due to self-admitted laziness and age, but that doesn't mean he was a fraud the majority of his career. You don't make six Pro Bowls and two first team All Pros at his position only because you were explosive and don't bring anything else to the table. If he was running the wrong routes half the time he wouldn't have had the career he did.

I don't know what to tell you. It's widely acknowledged that he would run the wrong routes very often. And not recognize when he's hot.

Ask Bengals fans. Or Carson Palmer. He dealt with it.

You keep saying "well he was productive so it can't be true"

A player runs around 30 routes a game. If you run 5 wrong routes out of 30, it won't hurt your production that much, but it sure as hell does not make you a good route runner.

Ness
08-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't know what to tell you. It's widely acknowledged that he would run the wrong routes very often. And not recognize when he's hot.

Ask Bengals fans. Or Carson Palmer. He dealt with it.

You keep saying "well he was productive so it can't be true"

A player runs around 30 routes a game. If you run 5 wrong routes out of 30, it won't hurt your production that much, but it sure as hell does not make you a good route runner.

I'm not asking you to tell me anything. It's a difference of opinion. You said he runs routes wrong half the time. If this was the case he wouldn't have made it this far in the NFL. Why would I ask Bengals fans? I've seen enough of Chad Johnson all these years to determine an opinion for myself. I can't ask Palmer as I don't know him.

And there is a difference between not knowing what routes you run (which could be due to miscommunication between players) and the routes that you do run actually being well run routes (cutting on a dime) regardless if they were designed for that play. I'm talking about his physical ability to literally run his routes against defensive backs, not his extensive knowledge of an offense and if he's always running the correct route on every single play. That is where his laziness problems have plagued him in recent seasons.

dolphinfan2k5
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Well Garrard hurt his knee apparently, so it looks like it will be Moore for tonight at least.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Joe Philbin is a beta male. He has no personality and I guarantee he will lose 90% of his roster the second his team loses 3 games in a row. How the hell did he get a head coaching job?

LTgiants
08-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Everytime I see Joe or hear Joe Philbin talk I think of the dad from Step Brothers.

m69FCeUXdkA

Brodeur
08-14-2012, 01:32 AM
The dad from Step Brothers.......not knowing him as Richard Jenkins, an amazing actor in a ton of roles :facepalm:

dolphinfan2k5
08-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Joe Philbin is a beta male. He has no personality and I guarantee he will lose 90% of his roster the second his team loses 3 games in a row. How the hell did he get a head coaching job?

I don't know why everyone is down on him. He's very intelligent and it shows. One episode of hard knocks and people have decided their opinion of him. I actually liked him a lot in the episode and have liked what he's done since he took over.

LTgiants
08-14-2012, 01:36 AM
The dad from Step Brothers.......not knowing him as Richard Jenkins, an amazing actor in a ton of roles :facepalm:

I figured more people would recognize him from Step Brothers. Did not realize I was on IMDB with a bunch of movie buffs http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Bulldogs
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM

Quit your whining nancy.

ChiFan24
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
This Chad Johnson guy looks pretty good so far. He'll make the team for sure!

Edit: The way that coach started the "bad news" about David Garrard, it sounded like Garrard's kid drowned. Not the best way to phrase that to Coach Philbin, of all people.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Good night sweet Chad.

ChiFan24
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I want to cry. Poor Chad :(

Giantsfan1080
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Maybe it's only me but Philbin comes off as a huge doucher.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
This is two seconds away from a Curb Your Enthusiasm bit

bigbluedefense
08-14-2012, 11:06 PM

I get that impression too. He actually reminds me of Coughlin when he first became our HC. All business, all the time.

It's pretty obvious from the first 2 episodes that Philbin was never a fan of Chad. I'd bet the decision to bring Chad in was made above him and without his blessing.

I felt like he was looking to get rid of Chad even before the domestic incident. He just wasn't a fan of his.

WCH
08-15-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't know why everyone is down on him. He's very intelligent and it shows. One episode of hard knocks and people have decided their opinion of him. I actually liked him a lot in the episode and have liked what he's done since he took over.

He's incredibly intelligent and highly respected by everybody who's ever worked with him (including players).

tjsunstein
08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Again, not on HBOGO. What the ****.

Da-Phins
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I love me some Jim ******* Turner. The meeting room scene about the call me maybe cheerleaders video was ******* hilarious.

And yeah you can tell that Philbin never was really on board about bringing in Chad. Apparently Chad did get three strikes before he got cut. First strike was his tweet to the commish about being fined and all that junk he said, second was the PC where he was talking about porn and throwing out the F bombs like a ************ and third was the arrest.

Ness
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I never knew Mike Sherman was such a hard ass. He grilled his boys in the meeting room.

Really? I'm loving this guy each and every episode.

Ghost of Juice
08-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I have been a fan of Philbin. He seems really smart and I like his calm, cool demeanor. Although he didn't seem to love Chad at least when he cut him he went face to face with him and told him, he didn't make the GM or whoever do it. He seems like a team guy and very approachable.

Another thing is I feel really bad for David Garrard. He seems like a really good and likable guy and getting that knee injury kills his chances of being the starter. I hope someway he gets an opportunity to start.

tjsunstein
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Joe Philbin is awesome, I'm not sure what kind of people you expect head coaches to be but he's one of the most professional straight forward guys in the league. No nonsense type. Not everyone is made for TV like Rex Ryan. I actually expect the Dolphins to have a better year than the Jets while we're on the subject.

GaMeTiMe
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM

I think judgement is a little harsh after 2 episodes of Hard Knocks, but I get where youre coming from. This team really isn't going to be very good, and I also question whether or not he'll be able to keep the locker room. Especially with an offense that will probably be turned over to Tannehill (who has no receivers) very early. Not everyone is Rex Ryan (thankfully) but he definitely strikes me as one of those very good coordinators from a very good offense that just doesn't make a great HC.

Ness
08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Joe Philbin is awesome, I'm not sure what kind of people you expect head coaches to be but he's one of the most professional straight forward guys in the league. No nonsense type. Not everyone is made for TV like Rex Ryan. I actually expect the Dolphins to have a better year than the Jets while we're on the subject.

Exactly. And it's not like he's mean or a tight ass. He seems pretty chill to me. and fairly nice. At the same time he's taking his profession seriously, as everyone on the team should be doing. I'm not sure either what people want. Coach "rah rah"?

TACKLE
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't call him a doucher. He's just void of any personality, charisma, attitude, etc. BBD compared him to Coughlin with his all-business approach and I can see that. But Coughlin was/still is certainly more of an hardass but at least he has a bit of an edge to him. Philbin has no edge to him whatsoever probably because it seems as if he tries so hard not to upset anybody.

dolphinfan2k5
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't get the impression that he doesn't want to upset anyone. I get the impression that he is willing to listen, but still has the final say.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-15-2012, 05:25 PM
How are people calling him a straight shooter when he can't even look Chad ****ing Johnson (one of the biggest clowns in the league) in the eye as an authority figure and tell him to fall in line (or in the last episode, fire him) without pussyfooting around the issue for 10 minutes?

His wife must've been his first girlfriend because there's no way he's ever broken up with someone before. And this was a guy he hated from the start. How long is it going to take him to cut Garrard next year? 3 days?

Scotty D
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
How are people calling him a straight shooter when he can't even look Chad ****ing Johnson (one of the biggest clowns in the league) in the eye as an authority figure and tell him to fall in line (or in the last episode, fire him) without pussyfooting around the issue for 10 minutes?

His wife must've been his first girlfriend because there's no way he's ever broken up with someone before. And this was a guy he hated from the start. How long is it going to take him to cut Garrard next year? 3 days?

I'll just say that was a delicate situation and obviously emotional for Chad. I think the players will turn to turn their vets for leadership and I think they are starting to rally around Tannehill. I mean look at the segment with the offensive line, Philbin doesn't have to go in there and fire those guys up. Philbin just has to pick and choose his spots to motivate. He's not going to be Mike Singletary or Rex Ryan all the time but I don't think that's necessary.

Ness
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I'll just say that was a delicate situation and obviously emotional for Chad. I think the players will turn to turn their vets for leadership and I think they are starting to rally around Tannehill. I mean look at the segment with the offensive line, Philbin doesn't have to go in there and fire those guys up. Philbin just has to pick and choose his spots to motivate. He's not going to be Mike Singletary or Rex Ryan all the time but I don't think that's necessary.

You don't need to have a "rah rah" coach to be successful in the NFL. It didn't help Mike Singletary and it didn't help Ray Rhodes. As long as you know what you are doing and have the right staff and players then it shouldn't matter if you are a hard ass or not.

LonghornsLegend
08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Edit: The way that coach started the "bad news" about David Garrard, it sounded like Garrard's kid drowned. Not the best way to phrase that to Coach Philbin, of all people.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. The way Philbin reacted initially you could tell that's what he was thinking also, and it was a ton of relief there once he realized it was an actual injury. I also feel really bad for Chad, I mean this is the first I've heard of him getting arrested ever, and he truly genuinly wanted this opportunity to prove himself. I at least wanted him to have this 1 last season to show something. He may be an asshole to a bunch of people but I would have been happy if he could have gotten a ring last year.

Giantsfan1080
08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Reggie Bush came off spectacular last night.

K Train
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I thought I was the only one who noticed that. The way Philbin reacted initially you could tell that's what he was thinking also, and it was a ton of relief there once he realized it was an actual injury. I also feel really bad for Chad, I mean this is the first I've heard of him getting arrested ever, and he truly genuinly wanted this opportunity to prove himself. I at least wanted him to have this 1 last season to show something. He may be an asshole to a bunch of people but I would have been happy if he could have gotten a ring last year.

i felt bad for chad too, never thought that would happen

Matthew Jones
08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
i felt bad for chad too, never thought that would happen

Why? For beating his wife?

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Why? For beating his wife?

Ha, right?
Over on the Bengals board people "sympathize" with him or some ****.
Screw that. Dude beat his wife. Regardless of situation unless you are actually threatened by her physically (she is attacking you) the need to hit a woman is almost 0. Desire to? Different story.

Ness
08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Matt Moore was so dejected when he was told Tannehill was going to be starting. You could see it in his face.

Giantsfan1080
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Moore came off really well also. True team player.

Ness
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I liked how he angrily grabbed his water bottle when he was finished talking with his quarterbacks coach.

K Train
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
shes a crazy *****, i dont feel bad for her. She probably head butted him.

I more felt bad for chad because HBO made the scene so ******* intense

DoughBoy
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
shes a crazy *****, i dont feel bad for her. She probably head butted him.

I more felt bad for chad because HBO made the scene so ******* intense

I don't like or respect you. Just so you know.

K Train
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
and now my e-feelings are hurt :-(

the high and mighty approach is fine, im not advocating the abuse of women but none of us were there and shes known for being a psychotic *****

DoughBoy
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM

the high and mighty approach is fine, im not advocating the abuse of women but none of us were there and shes known for being a psychotic *****

You do know Chad plead to no contest to a domestic violence charge before? I'm also aware that you know that he has taken no steps in defending himself at all for his actions. But yes, lets blame that "psychotic *****" that we have never meet. After all, it is probably her fault.

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Unless she is either currently hitting or about to, there is no excuse for attacking a woman. None.

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
You do know Chad plead to no contest to a domestic violence charge before? I'm also aware that you know that he has taken no steps in defending himself at all for his actions. But yes, lets blame that "psychotic *****" that we have never meet. After all, it is probably her fault.

Come on doughie.
you know those reality shows never manipulate people to seem like more of a ***** than they are.
/sarcasm

OSUGiants17
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
We need more of Jake Long's wife on this show:
http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jake-longs-wife-jackie-long.jpg
http://www.athleteswives.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Jake-longs-wife-Jakie-Long-e1345083703242.jpg

And Les Brown's wife
http://missutahusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/jg_missUTAZ_11_1398f-287x300.jpg

Lauren Tannehill will suffice for now

K Train
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Unless she is either currently hitting or about to, there is no excuse for attacking a woman. None.

my point is how do we know she wasnt? i wouldnt expect him to come out and say "but but but but she was hitting me first!!!!"

same thing with dez, his mom is the size of tyron smith and is an insane crack head thats been a problem for him since his birth. She could have hit him for hours before he snapped and smacked her with a hat, but all we get to hear is how hes a piece of **** for ever touching a women, let alone his mother!!!

maybe, just maybe give them the benefit of the doubt, i highly doubt chad johnson walked up to her and just slammed his head into hers with no warning. I would expect him to keep his mouth shut about it as she releases statements about how disappointed she is in his actions and him not owning up

anyyyywayyyy, my original statement was i felt bad for chad, during the scene, because HBO made it very intense and we knew it was coming, he was basically walking a plank....not because i give a **** about chad or his wife

DoughBoy
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Also something else that really chaps my ass. That little "I'm not advocating the abuse of women" line you just dropped is ******* hilarious. A high number of domestic abuse cases are never reported because the victim often fears scrutiny because the person they accuse often is a "real nice guy" and the victim is either a little kid that doesn't know what there talking about or an adult that has had personal issues in their past and they probably did something to deserve it. Because of these retarted ******* remarks from people the victims can go years of not reporting abuse just to apease little people like you.

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
my point is how do we know she wasnt? i wouldnt expect him to come out and say "but but but but she was hitting me first!!!!"

same thing with dez, his mom is the size of tyron smith and is an insane crack head thats been a problem for him since his birth. She could have hit him for hours before he snapped and smacked her with a hat, but all we get to hear is how hes a piece of **** for ever touching a women, let alone his mother!!!

maybe, just maybe give them the benefit of the doubt, i highly doubt chad johnson walked up to her and just slammed his head into hers with no warning. I would expect him to keep his mouth shut about it as she releases statements about how disappointed she is in his actions and him not owning up

anyyyywayyyy, my original statement was i felt bad for chad, during the scene, because HBO made it very intense and we knew it was coming, he was basically walking a plank....not because i give a **** about chad or his wife

I really doubt a woman would use a headbutt as means of attacking a man. They more often than not go for more sensitive areas or scratch and claw.
She is apparently around 5-7. Chad is 6-1. She is not headbutting him.

There is nothing a woman can say to ever make hitting her alright. Then again I dont ever think hitting anyone over just words is right. So either she hit him first...or he hit her. They were apparently arguing over condom receipts in his car. She had every right to be pissed.

And if you didn't give a ****, you probably shouldn't have said anything.

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Also something else that really chaps my ass. That little "I'm not advocating the abuse of women" line you just dropped is ******* hilarious. A high number of domestic abuse cases are never reported because the victim often fears scrutiny because the person they accuse often is a "real nice guy" and the victim is either a little kid that doesn't know what there talking about or an adult that has had personal issues in their past and they probably did something to deserve it. Because of these retarted ******* remarks from people the victims can go years of not reporting abuse just to apease little people like you.

A-*******-men.
Ive seen it personally.

K Train
08-22-2012, 03:37 PM

boo ******* hoo, people like me, gtfo of here with that ****. My mother is literally a combo of chads wife and dez's mom, she was married for money multiple times and is a psycho drug addict. The perfect combo of the two and as a kid i saw her beaten multiple times. I cant think of even one time where she didnt provoke it or go back to it by putting myself and her back into a position to have it happen again. I was even on my mothers side as a kid, and i can say she provoked it every single time, thats not saying it was right but its also not taking the high and mighty approach of poor little women couldnt have possibly done anything to provoke such actions. But i dont act like i was there when whatever went down between chad and his wife or dez and his mom because i ******* hated it when people would act like oh poor k trains mom, she is such a victim blah blah blah.

Bengals78
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Hey exception to virtually all the rules. Im gonna use you as an example.

K Train
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
We need more of Jake Long's wife on this show:
http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jake-longs-wife-jackie-long.jpg
http://www.athleteswives.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Jake-longs-wife-Jakie-Long-e1345083703242.jpg

And Les Brown's wife
http://missutahusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/jg_missUTAZ_11_1398f-287x300.jpg

Lauren Tannehill will suffice for now

is that really les browns wife? I saw she was hot (way hotter than i would have expected) but damn lol

also, i think jake long could hold her in the palm of his hand and bring her places

Giantsfan1080
08-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Long's wife is the hottest. I think that's Browns gf not wife.

TheBoyWonder22
08-26-2012, 05:17 AM
I like how she made fun of him for that hot as ush ****. I'm pretty sure that's at the very least his fiancé.

M.O.T.H.
08-26-2012, 10:00 AM
All their gfs and wives are so hot. haha.

Da-Phins
08-27-2012, 08:57 AM
All their gfs and wives are so hot. haha.

Atleast Miami has something good to write home about.

K Train
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
its awesome seeing the conversation of people getting traded

finiishing episodes with tannehill signing, chad getting cut, tannehill getting named the starter and moore being pissed, and vontae being traded.....the dolphins werent as boring as i thought

wtf with tannehill not knowing the divisions????

Giantsfan1080
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
That was shocking about Tannehill.

ChiFan24
08-29-2012, 02:00 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again....Vontae Davis is borderline ********. God bless him, I hope he succeeds in Indy but he is not a smart human being.

And normally I don't say things like this because nothing beats good old fashioned porn (or real live women, if you're into that sort of thing) but I loved the screen time the players' wives got. So hot.

TheBoyWonder22
08-29-2012, 06:54 AM
He can't catch a pass...I could almost hear them breaking up. Especially since he's a guy who takes being a football player very seriously even though he isn't good enough to be one right now. Basically what I learned from this episode was that Ireland is every bit the condescending asshole I assumed he was.

Ness
08-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again....Vontae Davis is borderline ********. God bless him, I hope he succeeds in Indy but he is not a smart human being.

I always love hearing the professional diagnosis of message board doctors.

ChiFan24
08-29-2012, 05:45 PM
I always love hearing the professional diagnosis of message board doctors.
Well if you insist on knowing my qualifications, I sat in the same small lecture room as him for two different classes. Not the most exact science, but I didn't realize I needed to administer an IQ test to know that the guy is an idiot. Also didn't realize that intelligence level was typically a part of a doctor's diagnosis.

Ness
08-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Well if you insist on knowing my qualifications, I sat in the same small lecture room as him for two different classes. Not the most exact science, but I didn't realize I needed to administer an IQ test to know that the guy is an idiot. Also didn't realize that intelligence level was typically a part of a doctor's diagnosis.

You said borderline ********, not simply that he's an idiot. Being mentally ******** is actually a diagnosis that qualified practitioners make. Unless you were just speaking hyperbole. Is it true that Vontae is mentally ********? Or maybe he just has a learning disability? Or maybe it's something else? He can be an idiot without being ********. Just saying. Sorry to sound brash, but it just irks me when people throw around that term loosely. The same things were being said about Frank Gore a while back without an official basis for a conclusion, but he doesn't seem like an idiot to me.

ChiFan24
08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, yes, I was using it in the colloquial sense. I think he's extremely stupid. Since Vontae likely doesn't post here I figured nobody would be offended.

For shits and giggles I Googled his Wonderlic and found that he got a 33. And I actually did know that, come to think of it, because I remember being absolutely shocked based on the classes I had with him. And this show has reinforced that shock. So....I don't know, maybe he just seems like an idiot. I can't be the only one that's wondering how one would cheat on the Wonderlic, though.

Docta
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
You said borderline ********, not simply that he's an idiot. Being mentally ******** is actually a diagnosis that qualified practitioners make. Unless you were just speaking hyperbole. Is it true that Vontae is mentally ********? Or maybe he just has a learning disability? Or maybe it's something else? He can be an idiot without being ********. Just saying. Sorry to sound brash, but it just irks me when people throw around that term loosely. The same things were being said about Frank Gore a while back without an official basis for a conclusion, but he doesn't seem like an idiot to me.
Well, they used to call people who had Down Syndrome idiots, so unless he has DS, don't see how that would be acceptable either. No need to call them ******** anymore anyway, since we pretty much know what their conditions are. He was obviously exaggerating, too.

Ness
08-30-2012, 12:27 AM
wtf with tannehill not knowing the divisions????

That was really hard to watch. I've seen players not knowing the next few teams on their schedule, which I guess I could understand, but the division thing kind of shocks me. He really didn't know anything.

He mentioned he wasn't a huge fan of pro football, just the game...which I can see as an explanation, but I just haven't seen something like that before at the pro level. It was really weird. Hopefully he knows that he's playing Tom Brady twice a year. Might be important.

Ness
08-30-2012, 12:59 AM
I also thought it was weird that Ireland didn't tell Davis what he was traded for when he was asked. He simply turned around from his chair and replied "A couple of picks...." and had a look on his face in the realm of "Don't worry about what we traded you for Vontae" while a long awkward silence ensued and you could tell the camera skipped a few frames to the "goodbye" part of the discussion.

I mean, he's just going to find out later via the media. Why don't you just tell him what he was traded for? Maybe he told him off camera or something afterward.

dolphinfan2k5
08-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Maybe he thought it might be offensive to tell him to his face, since he was a 1st round pick. It was a bit odd though. And Vontae is an interesting guy. He definitely has some sort of emotional or intellectual issue, but I honestly don't think he is just dumb, despite how dumb he seems. I think his voice makes him seem a lot less intelligent than he is.

niel89
08-30-2012, 02:09 AM
I thought it was actually nicer to not specify what they traded him for. Players probably don't value picks like a GM or even fans do.

I don't think Philbin is a bad guy at all, but he wouldn't be my first choice to play for. I'm not sure I'd fight for that guy.

I love the GM footage. I could watch an entire season of just the operations side of a team. All those energy shots and his kids in the office really drive home how many hours a guy like that has to work.

It's pretty awesome to see the story lines that they made exciting so far. Even with the QB battle already settled. I wasn't enthralled with the Dolphins as the team, but it honestly doesn't ******* matter. The production values are superb also.

ChiFan24
08-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I do feel bad saying that about Vontae. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and he's been of my favorite players since college. It just seems like the consensus of the Dolphins staff is the same as mine - he doesn't seem capable of "getting it." Maybe he's not dumb, but something seems odd there. Maybe he has other things on his mind, like the fact that his brother murdered a guy with a hammer. I probably wouldn't be fully invested in anything either. I hope he plays well in Indy (after week 1).

Ness
08-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Well at least Davis is going to a team that looks like it might have a bright future sooner rather than later.

TheBoyWonder22
08-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird that their best defensive player Cameron Wake has received like 30 seconds of air time?

dolphinfan2k5
08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird that their best defensive player Cameron Wake has received like 30 seconds of air time?

Yes. He's a good story and hard worker too.

K Train
08-30-2012, 09:55 AM

HBO puts the show together really well with the story lines, i could definitely use less of les brown and practice squad DTs and more cam wake though

K Train
08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
I thought it was actually nicer to not specify what they traded him for. Players probably don't value picks like a GM or even fans do.

I don't think Philbin is a bad guy at all, but he wouldn't be my first choice to play for. I'm not sure I'd fight for that guy.

I love the GM footage. I could watch an entire season of just the operations side of a team. All those energy shots and his kids in the office really drive home how many hours a guy like that has to work.

It's pretty awesome to see the story lines that they made exciting so far. Even with the QB battle already settled. I wasn't enthralled with the Dolphins as the team, but it honestly doesn't ******* matter. The production values are superb also.
they put you on the edge of your seat for a 3rd quarter preseason game, its amazing production.

Ending episode 1 with tannehill signing, ep 2 with chad being cut, ep 3 with tannehill winning the starting job, and episode 4 with vontae being traded. awesome story lines to follow.

i thought the conversation about him getting traded was awesome "i gotta gotta call my grandma, but ay ay whadyall trade me for?"

GaMeTiMe
08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I mean, he's just going to find out later via the media. Why don't you just tell him what he was traded for? Maybe he told him off camera or something afterward.

Exactly, he's going to find out anyway, likely 5 mins after leaving the office...so why get into specifics about the trade talks/how each team valued him? He was officially no longer a member of the organization at that point and has no business getting that kind of information from a GM, especially one that is no longer his.

Not saying he shouldn't have asked, but Ireland responded exactly how I'd expect him to.

The Tannehill thing with the divisions surprised me too, but I see it as more of a positive..kind of made me think he doesn't pay much attention to "storylines" and such, he's just there to play. Doesn't mean he's gonna trot out there twice a year against the Pats and be the only player on the field unaware of the ramifications, he just doesn't immerse himself in the current and past rivalries around the league. He'll naturally learn the landscape of the divisions as he moves along.

Ness
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Exactly, he's going to find out anyway, likely 5 mins after leaving the office...so why get into specifics about the trade talks/how each team valued him? He was officially no longer a member of the organization at that point and has no business getting that kind of information from a GM, especially one that is no longer his.

So then what's the point of hiding information that he'd likely find out the next day? Really, I don't see the reason for acting all secret about it. The rest of America aren't members of the Dolphins organization either. It literally doesn't matter. Might as well answer the question instead of trying to hide something that can't be hidden. It's not like it's a matter of national security. Just seemed like a dick move to me.

HBO puts the show together really well with the story lines, i could definitely use less of les brown and practice squad DTs and more cam wake though

Haven't the majority of Hard Knocks episodes focused on either rookies or players that have a tough shot at making the team?

WCH
08-31-2012, 12:26 AM
I think that the GMs and HCs probably don't want to be doing the show in the first place, and probably also don't want to be filmed discussing anything related to their standard operating procedures.

dolphinfan2k5
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
So then what's the point of hiding information that he'd likely find out the next day? Really, I don't see the reason for acting all secret about it. The rest of America aren't members of the Dolphins organization either. It literally doesn't matter. Might as well answer the question instead of trying to hide something that can't be hidden. It's not like it's a matter of national security. Just seemed like a dick move to me.

The point is that you don't want to start a conversation about it, not that you don't want him finding out. Once you answer, you give him the opportunity to continue with follow up questions like, "What a second rounder, you serious?", etc.

GaMeTiMe
08-31-2012, 12:39 AM
The point is that you don't want to start a conversation about it, not that you don't want him finding out. Once you answer, you give him the opportunity to continue with follow up questions like, "What a second rounder, you serious?", etc.

Exactly. They were washing their hands of him and had no business opening up a conversation with him about the specifics of shipping him out. I'm sure Ireland wanted him on that plane to Indy ASAP.

Ness
08-31-2012, 01:07 AM

Well I don't see why Davis would care about the kind of value he garners in a trade. It won't effect him either way. If I really didn't want to open a discussion about it I would have told him straight up I can't disclose that information at this time. It seems like the way Ireland said it would in fact, open up a discussion. If Vontae was curious he could have said "Like what, a second rounder....?" No need to beat around the bush. But whatever.

I think that the GMs and HCs probably don't want to be doing the show in the first place, and probably also don't want to be filmed discussing anything related to their standard operating procedures.

Then why did they agree to do the show?

Bengalsrocket
09-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Then why did they agree to do the show?

You know how sometimes at work, the owner makes you clean the bathrooms even though you don't really want to do that?

It's like that...

Ness
09-01-2012, 06:55 PM
You know how sometimes at work, the owner makes you clean the bathrooms even though you don't really want to do that?

It's like that...

Stephen Ross made the Dolphins and their new coach participate in Hard Knocks?

ChiFan24
09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I must be missing the part where Ireland didn't tell him what he was traded for. He got traded for a couple picks. That's the truth. I doubt Vontae cares what round the picks were; something tells me he's not planning on making any mock drafts any time soon.

Ness
09-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I must be missing the part where Ireland didn't tell him what he was traded for. He got traded for a couple picks. That's the truth. I doubt Vontae cares what round the picks were; something tells me he's not planning on making any mock drafts any time soon.

My issue had to do with Ireland's pointless attempt to be reluctant about disclosing information that wasn't exactly top secret. At least that is what his body language was telling me from the scene. I was just curious.

SuperPacker
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't think it's nearly as bad as your making it out to be. It definitely wasn't a "dick move". If Vontae had then asked "What round picks?" he probably still wouldn't have told him. It seems kinda wrong telling him to his face what he just got rid of him for.

Docta
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
@taniaganguli: Watt says from watching Hard Knocks he picked up on Dolphins' snap counts and the attitudes of some players.

Yeah, this is definitely the last season of Hard Knocks.

Ness
09-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Well, that was an interesting "season" of Hard Knocks. For some reason I get the feeling that this show may have seen it's last sunrise. In any case, kudos to HBO and NFL Films.

By the way, the format they shot it in made it really seem like being an NFL player can be a depressing business if things aren't going your way. Bouncing from team to team, or having a one and done shot at an NFL career. I would love to have an opportunity to hang around an NFL team from training camp to the end of the regular season just to see how much the business side clashes with the attempt of an NFL team to build comradery with it's roster. It's ironic how the keys to success to winning are grounded with teamwork, but at the same time everyone also has a responsibility to look out for themselves and players come and go like nobody's business because of roster restrictions. Interesting dynamic, I think.

Legacy
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
This is not good news for Hard Knocks.

From PFT. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-he-picked-up-dolphins-snap-count-from-hard-knocks/)
Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. The bell tolls for Hard Knocks.

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt delivered a potential death blow to the show on Tuesday, explaining on NBC Network’s Pro Football Talk that he picked up the Dolphins’ snap count by watching the show.

He was a little sheepish and guarded when explaining it to co-host Erik Kuselias, saying that the same information can be picked up from the preseason game broadcasts. But Watt said that it helped.

And that one line could provide future coaches and G.M.’s with the ammunition they need to push back against an owner who decides he wants to be a carnival barker.

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said in June that the choice to do Hard Knocks was a football decision. Yes, it was. A bad football decision.

It did nothing to help the team win. It routinely televised embarrassing and sensitive moments involving players, driving a wedge between the organization and its most important employees and potentially making it harder (and costlier) to attract free agents to South Florida.

Though we love the show, no owner who wants to establish a football program that consistently wins games should ever want to do it. There’s nothing to gain, and plenty to lose.