PDA

View Full Version : Brian Banks

XxXdragonXxX
05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986979/redemption-brian-banks

It's great that this guy is getting a 2nd chance after having his life ruined by a lie.

BeerBaron
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
PFT is floating the Dolphins as a potential destination since it would make for a great Hard Knocks story.

Still, as much as you'd like to see his story end with a spot on an NFL team, a guy with no college playing experience who spent that long in prison is a major longshot to be anything but camp fodder.

WCH
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Wow. He lost his college football scholarship, spent five years in prison, and five years with an ankle tether. She got a $750,000 settlement from the school system.

I think that I'd be taking this a lot worse than he is.

tjsunstein
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Brian Banks needs to be on Hard Knocks like BB said.

Pat Sims 90
05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
He will end up with the Bengals.

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
He worked out for the SKins today.

PackerLegend
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
wow that really ****ing sucks!

bitches be crazy

BeerBaron
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
He will end up with the Bengals.

He and Vontaze can battle it out.

Ness
05-30-2012, 04:24 PM
No semen traces in the rape kit. No witnesses. And yet Banks' attorney insisted he cop a plea, saying his size, age and race would mean a sure conviction of 40-plus years. He said no, no, a hundred times no and finally, reluctantly, yes.

Oh brother. I'd rather go down swinging knowing I didn't do anything then do that. But he was young and scared I guess. What a terrible person that Gibson is. I wonder what her motive for lying was anyways.

Ness
05-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Maybe karma has struck.

Brian Banks’ False Rape Accuser Wanetta Gibson Blew Her Entire $1.5 Million & is on Welfare (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/05/brian-banks-false-rape-accuser-wanetta-gibson-blew-her-entire-1-5-million-is-on-welfare/?pid=6781)

21ST
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I hope he makes a team, even if it isn't the skins.

tjsunstein
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
So no one came out on top here. Gibson should go to jail.

Ravens1991
05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
How does a ***** like that not get put into a insane asylum or jail????

MidwayMonster31
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Maybe karma has struck.

Brian Banks’ False Rape Accuser Wanetta Gibson Blew Her Entire $1.5 Million & is on Welfare (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/05/brian-banks-false-rape-accuser-wanetta-gibson-blew-her-entire-1-5-million-is-on-welfare/?pid=6781)Not quite.
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/05/wanetta-gibsons-mom-wanda-rhodes-plotted-brian-banks-false-rape-accusation-for-money/
Both are low-down criminals regardless.
Banks seems like a good guy and cares more about his dream than he does about the money. This is just a very sordid story, from the accuser to the attorney, telling him to plead guilty despite no evidence, to the real victim in all this, Banks and his family.

onejayhawk
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
The Chiefs will sign him. He drips character.

J

Ness
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the link. This part of that article ticked me off a little:

Banks took a plea deal that put him behind bars for five years, the school district settled the lawsuit for $1.5 million and the women went on a wild spending spree with their share of the settlement — without showing an ounce of remorse.

“The mom was buying cars, big screen TVs and all sorts of things,” a former neighbor said of Rhodes. “One time Wanetta came up here with a wad of cash — she had $10,000 in her hand.”

“She showed up with a brand new Altima with some great rims,” said the neighbor, who asked not to be identified. “And she bought her mom a Suburban and a Dodge.”

Rhodes, now 52, was greedy and “the type of person where money was everything,” said another neighbor, named Terrell, who would not give his last name. “The mom was really controlling.”

I hope Banks beats the odds and goes on to have a Hall of Fame career.

vidae
05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
The Chiefs will sign him. He drips character.

J

I would be real happy if he signed here.

XxXdragonXxX
05-30-2012, 08:14 PM
My bet is he ends up on the Seahawks practice squad if he still has something left.

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
You'd be surprised how many people end up in prison on plea deals without ever going to trial.

WCH
05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
And frequently it's a situation like this, where their lawyer tells them "If you go to trial and get convicted, you'll probably serve 40 years. If you take the deal they're offering, you'll be out in four."

Even if the defendant is innocent, the plea deal can start to sound like the safer option.

BeerBaron
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
And frequently it's a situation like this, where their lawyer tells them "If you go to trial and get convicted, you'll probably serve 40 years. If you take the deal they're offering, you'll be out in four."

Even if the defendant is innocent, the plea deal can start to sound like the safer option.

There's one of those "moral dilemma" questions like that. I remember it from one of my psychology classes.

Yeah, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

Crazy **** to think about.

SenorGato
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Wow. He lost his college football scholarship, spent five years in prison, and five years with an ankle tether. She got a $750,000 settlement from the school system.

I think that I'd be taking this a lot worse than he is.

My first thoughts as well. She asks to meet with him to get back together and walks out alive...I mean he got what he needed out of that, but holy **** what a Grade A C-word.

This guy has a good head on his shoulders. Seriously, so many other people would seethe with anger for a decade.

Ness
05-31-2012, 01:01 AM
I wish him the best of luck.

Vox Populi
05-31-2012, 07:58 AM

It also frees up the court system. If everyone stopped taking plea deals the courts would be royally ******.

bearfan
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Now would Banks be able to sue anyone with her having admitted that? Or because he pleaded guilty, he wouldn't be able to?

I feel if anything, there could be a malpractice case here...

descendency
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
5 years in prison... sure the the U wants him!

Ness
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Now would Banks be able to sue anyone with her having admitted that? Or because he pleaded guilty, he wouldn't be able to?

I feel if anything, there could be a malpractice case here...

I think he is already suing the state 600 dollars a day for each day he was in prison.

ImBrotherCain
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
I think he is already suing the state 600 dollars a day for each day he was in prison.

Only $100. $600 Would be a big big chunk of cash.

bearfan
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Only $100. $600 Would be a big big chunk of cash.

Think about the amount of money he potentially lost though. $600/day for ten years added up to a little over $2million (was it 10yrs). Regardless, say he went on to have a decent to great NFL career...by the time he was 26 he probably would have made over that. @$100, he makes less than $400k.

XxXdragonXxX
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
The more I think about his trial, so many things don't make sense. He was 16, tried as an adult in a case with no evidence and no witnesses. I mean a lot of times a case like this wouldnt even go to trial because of the lack of evidence. Then he's offered a plea that lands him in prison for 5 years and 5 more on probation...what kind of plea is that for a minor in a case with no evidence? Then his lawyer, who should be disbarred, gets him to agree to the plea.

He got screwed over at every turn. I hope he makes a roster, and gets a movie deal, he deserves it.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
I hope this girl actually gets raped to make up for it. What a terrible person.

Ness
05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
The more I think about his trial, so many things don't make sense. He was 16, tried as an adult in a case with no evidence and no witnesses. I mean a lot of times a case like this wouldnt even go to trial because of the lack of evidence. Then he's offered a plea that lands him in prison for 5 years and 5 more on probation...what kind of plea is that for a minor in a case with no evidence? Then his lawyer, who should be disbarred, gets him to agree to the plea.

He got screwed over at every turn. I hope he makes a roster, and gets a movie deal, he deserves it.

I wonder if Banks had anything on a rap sheet before this whole incident. If he didn't, then it would make less sense that he would even get convicted. Sucks that he let his attorney persuade him into taking a plea deal for something he never did, assuming everything we heard from Brian's side of the story is true.

XxXdragonXxX
06-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Banks had his tryout in Seattle today and was invited back for mini camp.

OSUGiants17
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Good to know, I wish him the best. I was kinda hoping he would go to Miami though to watch him on hard knocks

FUNBUNCHER
06-07-2012, 03:10 PM

I hate Pete Carroll a bit less today.:naughty:

falloutboy14
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Worst part of this situation is that police will go after a 16 year old with no evidence.

But the female lies to police, gets him prison time, sues the school district for $750,000, admits she's lied (at to him), but the police don't want to bother with it. Might not get any money out of her, but she obviously broke the law somehow. Just think about how much money she's cost tax payers, (police time, court system, suing the school, his incarceration costs). Everything about this story except the guy is infuriating.

Xenos
06-07-2012, 04:03 PM

It may have to do with a previous rap sheet as someone else mentioned. The other thing I can only think of is his race. It's a sad fact and totally unfair to him, but that's probably why his lawyer had that plea bargain.

Brent
06-07-2012, 04:14 PM
1. He's black, so that's a knock against him in our justice system.
2. As far as a lack of evidence goes, the plea deal might have been offered before the trial, and the defense lawyer told him to take the deal.
3. These things happen all the time. There is an amazing book about this stuff called The New Jim Crow.

FUNBUNCHER
06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
It may have to do with a previous rap sheet as someone else mentioned. The other thing I can only think of is his race. It's a sad fact and totally unfair to him, but that's probably why his lawyer had that plea bargain.

He was 16. What previous rap sheet?? Prior sexual assault convictions?? A previous 10 year stretch in the state pen??

Banks got steamrolled by the system. That's why I've always called it a nightmare scenario because it could have happened to almost anyone of us if we were fooling around with our HS GFs and they decided to go full psycho.

Seamus2602
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I hope this girl actually gets raped to make up for it. What a terrible person.

That's a bit harsh.

descendency
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Worst part of this situation is that police will go after a 16 year old with no evidence.

But the female lies to police, gets him prison time, sues the school district for $750,000, admits she's lied (at to him), but the police don't want to bother with it. Might not get any money out of her, but she obviously broke the law somehow. Just think about how much money she's cost tax payers, (police time, court system, suing the school, his incarceration costs). Everything about this story except the guy is infuriating.

The chick should write a book titled "If I lied." It'd probably sell millions.

whatadai
06-07-2012, 10:15 PM
The chick should write a book titled "If I lied." It'd probably sell millions.

she doesn't seem smart enough to write a book.

bam bam
06-08-2012, 12:35 AM
1. He's black, so that's a knock against him in our justice system.
2. As far as a lack of evidence goes, the plea deal might have been offered before the trial, and the defense lawyer told him to take the deal.
3. These things happen all the time. There is an amazing book about this stuff called The New Jim Crow.

Partly true, but the primary culprit is not racism. It's sexism and the feminist movement's anti-male choke hold on the legal system in this country, and the rest of the west.

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/
http://www.the-spearhead.com/

K Train
06-08-2012, 08:27 AM
That's a bit harsh.

her lying cost him a career, an education, and was most probably raped in jail by inmates, imo thats not even close to harsh enough for her.

throw her in a cell block for a few hours, then maybe they could call it even

Seamus2602
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
her lying cost him a career, an education, and was most probably raped in jail by inmates, imo thats not even close to harsh enough for her.

throw her in a cell block for a few hours, then maybe they could call it even

By all means punish her. She should be sent to prison. But calling for someone to be raped is taking it too far.

prock
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
This lady is going to burn in the deepest pits of hell. **** her.

Job Reborn
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
By all means punish her. She should be sent to prison. But calling for someone to be raped is taking it too far.

Though it kinda would make all she stole somewhat fair.

Ness
06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
According to NFL.com, Banks ran a sub-4.70 40 at his workout with the Chargers. The 49ers are also in the mix now, vying for a workout with Banks, to go along with the Chiefs, Seahawks, and Redskins.

The Alex
06-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Maybe karma has struck.

Brian Banks’ False Rape Accuser Wanetta Gibson Blew Her Entire $1.5 Million & is on Welfare (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/05/brian-banks-false-rape-accuser-wanetta-gibson-blew-her-entire-1-5-million-is-on-welfare/?pid=6781)

That isn't karma. Karma would be her actually getting raped and spending years in therapy over it. Sounds harsh but this ***** ruined his life, so I have no sympathy for her. You wanna cry rape and use it as a tool to leverage yourself when hundreds upon hundreds of women are actually raped every day? **** you.

TheBoyWonder22
06-09-2012, 02:15 AM
This might be a stupid question, but I can't find an answer anywhere; what position does he play?

AntoinCD
06-09-2012, 07:51 AM
This might be a stupid question, but I can't find an answer anywhere; what position does he play?

If you believe her...doggy, but he probably won't be too successful at that in the NFL

XxXdragonXxX
06-09-2012, 10:45 AM

I believe he played MLB in high school, but Pete Carroll said he projects as an OLB. He's around 6'3" 240 and runs a 4.6/4.7 forty.

BandwagonPunditry
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
If we have any US qualified lawyers on the board:

Is there no way of charging this woman with something equivalent to perjury?! I understand that technically she never lied to a court as she never gave evidence but surely it must come under something else...?

Seamus2602
06-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Is there no way of charging this woman with something equivalent to perjury?! I understand that technically she never lied to a court as she never gave evidence but surely it must come under something else...?

I'm not lawyer, American or otherwise, but the key element is proving it. In legal terms all they needed to quash his conviction is provide reasonable doubt that it didn't happen. In order to prosecute her they need to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that she lied.

Also it would probably be obstruction of justice, not perjury.

K Train
06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
im not a lawyer, but im in law school and while this isnt my type of law i would imagine theres nothing that could be done in a criminal court to convict her, civil probably but you arent going to get anything from her regardless of the verdict

TheBoyWonder22
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I believe he played MLB in high school, but Pete Carroll said he projects as an OLB. He's around 6'3" 240 and runs a 4.6/4.7 forty.
I'd like him more as a 3-4 inside blitzing guy because I wouldn't want to try him as a coverage guy in a 4-3 this early in his NFL career.

mqtirishfan
06-15-2012, 12:20 AM

I assume there is some sort of statute of limitation on obstruction of justice, even if they had a good case against her.

phlysac
06-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Looks like he will workout with the 49ers next...

Exonerated linebacker planning on Monday workout with 49ers

Brian Banks, the 26-year-old linebacker from Southern California who was wrongfully incarcerated for five years, tweeted today that he plans to take part in a Monday workout with the 49ers. That was confirmed by a league source, who said the session was likely but not yet set in stone. If it occurs as tentatively scheduled, Banks would take part in a rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Banks already has worked out for the Seahawks, Chargers and Chiefs, and he spent the last two days taking part in a Seahawks minicamp. Banks said he has not yet been offered a deal by the Seahawks and coach Pete Carroll, who recruited Banks to play at USC a decade ago.

Banks was a star linebacker at Long Beach Polytechnic High School and said he'd made a verbal commitment to USC as a junior. When he was 16, a teenage girl he'd known all his life accused him of rape and kidnapping. Banks was convicted and served more than five years in prison and spent the last five as a registered sex offender. The woman, however, later recanted her story to a private investigator who videotaped the conversation. Banks was completely exonerated in a hearing last month and has been trying to resume his life.

Banks has been training in Orange County and is working his way into football-playing condition. It's not known whether the 49ers see him as an inside or outside linebacker.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/06/exonerated-linebacker-planning-on-monday-workout-with-49ers.html

Seamus2602
06-15-2012, 03:48 AM
I assume there is some sort of statute of limitation on obstruction of justice, even if they had a good case against her.

Statute of limitations for any non-capital crime is five years I think. They interesting argument is that if an innocent person is in prison and you know he is innocent and don't say anything are you still not obstructing justice? So an argument could be made that as long as his conviction stood she was obstructing justice by not telling the authorities that he was innocent.

Ness
06-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Just an update. Banks has returned to Southern California without any deal offers.

Banks is working his way back in football shape and will resume training in Orange County. He's now had workouts with the 49ers, Seahawks, Chargers and Chiefs. Other teams have shown interest, but with most coaches and general managers on vacation, Banks does not have any workouts lined up in the near future. Neither Jim Harbaugh nor Trent Baalke, for example, were on hand this week for Banks' 49ers tryout.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/06/lb-banks-leaves-santa-clara-without-a-deal.html

WCH
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I really am pulling for the guy (I don't know if I've ever wanted a guy to succeed more), but I don't know if you can get into NFL shape after ten years away from the game. My guess is that a team gives him a front office job, though. He seems to have a really great head on his shoulders, and it makes for a great redemption story.

Brent
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I really am pulling for the guy (I don't know if I've ever wanted a guy to succeed more), but I don't know if you can get into NFL shape after ten years away from the game. My guess is that a team gives him a front office job, though. He seems to have a really great head on his shoulders, and it makes for a great redemption story.
doing what?

WCH
06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
doing what?

Well, he seems to have no qualifications to do anything. When I said "front office" I was including everything down to working in the mail room. For a guy who just had a felony removed from his record, that's not exactly small ****.

He might get chance at scouting, and he could eventually be a great fit for a team that has a player development (http://www.packers.com/team/player-development.html) department.

FUNBUNCHER
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
He could work in PR for a team, work events, interact with fans etc. The Skins have several retired vets who get a check cut from Dan Snyder who are basically meet and greet specialists.

Whoever suggested Banks enroll in JC for a year had the right idea.

XxXdragonXxX
06-25-2012, 11:34 PM
I read somewhere after his 2nd tryout with the Seahawks that Pete told him he has 6 weeks to get into football shape and that he has an open invitation to training camp.

descendency
06-27-2012, 12:51 AM
His best hope is to take the Cameron Wake route.

WCH
06-27-2012, 01:21 AM
I know that it would probably rule out ever playing in the NFL, but he might also considering trying to get a college scholarship (if that's still an option -- if he already has an agent then I think that would disqualify him). If he could get a college degree and graduate without $25k in student loan debt, that'd be a pretty big deal.

I knew some people who went to some pretty good private colleges at the D-III level on athletic "grants" (they don't call them scholarships), and they wound up with $100k educations for free.

wicket
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
clearly Carroll plotted this when he tried to get out of the scholarship offer but couldnt