PDA

View Full Version : If the lions do trade down....

Bootland27
03-30-2007, 05:50 PM
do u trust millen's ability to select the right players in the 2nd & 3rd rounds? Last year it was calhoun, which made no sense. 2 years ago he took cody, who is a good player but wanted to add depth for some reason at DT (strength of the team) when there were other important holes needed to be filled on the team like DE, LB and add depth in the secondary.

detroit4life
03-30-2007, 06:40 PM
when we took cody it wasnt considered a strength the year after that was when wilkinson had a great year but cody came in as a 3rd DT with a chance to compete for the 2nd spot and was viewed as the long term solution when wilinson left noone knew redding would do what he did

detroit4life
03-30-2007, 06:41 PM
and yea i trust him especially with marinelli and martz overviewing the picks they will make good decisions calhoun was picked as BPA and martz liked him because of his ability to catch the ball

Iamcanadian
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
We have a 3 man draft committee, unfortunately Millen has the last say. Marinelli will suggest the defensive players, Martz will suggest the offensive players and Millen will have the final call. Drafting by committee doesn't usually work if the guy with the final decision hasn't a clue and Millen doesn't, his draft record speaks volumns about that. However, we are at his mercy and can only pray he gets lucky, unfortunately, good teams don't depend on luck all the time, we do.

detroit4life
03-30-2007, 11:18 PM
no the difference now is millen will take one of the players that martz or marinelli suggests. In the past he'd listen to his coaches but do what he really wanted to do hes learned that he cant force a player on a coach he said in an interview i listened to a while a go and thats a great thing hes going to take players who his coaches want, players taht will be able to fit into and add something to the team and thats why these drafts are different than they were in the past.

Bootland27
03-31-2007, 12:22 PM
when we took cody it wasnt considered a strength the year after that was when wilkinson had a great year but cody came in as a 3rd DT with a chance to compete for the 2nd spot and was viewed as the long term solution when wilinson left noone knew redding would do what he did

I was saying that in 2005 it was a strength of the team. At the time, was cody thought of as the eventual replacement for big daddy? Probably so. And thats not a bad move.

But you have to remember, coming off the 2004 season that front four was a pass rusher away from being one of best in the NFL. Bryant was also injury prone and they wanted to get a CB (were 1 pick away from getting Carlos Rogers) and needed a LB too perhaps.

Taking Brady Quinn in the 1st this year is as the same logic as taking Cody couple years ago.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I liked the Calhoun pick, its becoming a trent to have 2 backs, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

detroit4life
03-31-2007, 03:36 PM
I was saying that in 2005 it was a strength of the team. At the time, was cody thought of as the eventual replacement for big daddy? Probably so. And thats not a bad move.

But you have to remember, coming off the 2004 season that front four was a pass rusher away from being one of best in the NFL. Bryant was also injury prone and they wanted to get a CB (were 1 pick away from getting Carlos Rogers) and needed a LB too perhaps.

Taking Brady Quinn in the 1st this year is as the same logic as taking Cody couple years ago.

IMO this front four is even better but still needs a consistent pass rusher. We wissed three cb prospects that year in rogers rolle and pacman which is a shame because i know thats what Millen was looking for.

Iamcanadian
04-01-2007, 12:19 AM
no the difference now is millen will take one of the players that martz or marinelli suggests. In the past he'd listen to his coaches but do what he really wanted to do hes learned that he cant force a player on a coach he said in an interview i listened to a while a go and thats a great thing hes going to take players who his coaches want, players taht will be able to fit into and add something to the team and thats why these drafts are different than they were in the past.

Not so sure, lots of HC's are poor drafters. What if Martz is right on a player and Marinelli is wrong and Millen sides with Marinelli. Where is the scouting department in this committee, do they have any say??? Please, Mr. Ford, hire a GM who will in turn, hire good scouts, a GM who is a top talent evaluator, a GM who can take input from his coaches but still have enough ability to reach his own conclusions. I just don't think commitees work where one coach will want defensive players and the other HC will want offensive players, doesn't that still leave Millen in a position to decide. I can just see it, Millen listens to Marinelli in round 1 and takes Adams(the proper decision), then in round 2, Millen feels he must give Martz a player and passes on a defensive player who could really help the team. It could turnout to be a nightmare as committee decisions rarely are efficient.

detroit4life
04-01-2007, 12:31 AM
well as u can see millen addressed most of the offense in FA with aquiring mutilato foster macdonald and bell and resigning furrey. When it comes to the draft it would only make sense to go defense or CJ if they dont trade out. Martz has said he doesnt want a 1st round QB. Martz wants to win just as much he knows his offense is well set at this point while the defense has tons of holes. Each side of the ball has certain holes and All three guys (Martz Millen and Marinelli) know this and its up to Millen to decide where to fill each hole

reinar
04-05-2007, 10:53 PM
i would love for them to trade down 2-3 times, and get all defense crazy happy with 1st and 2nd rounders.

DE, MLB, CB, S (would make me happy)

then get backups filled with those 5th rounders (4 of em)

Addict
04-06-2007, 07:58 AM
i would love for them to trade down 2-3 times, and get all defense crazy happy with 1st and 2nd rounders.

DE, MLB, CB, S (would make me happy)

then get backups filled with those 5th rounders (4 of em)

whew. Thank god we have a solid line in place and a QB who'll last us five more seasons, otherwise you'd almost think we'd need to draft a little offense as well.