PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA players would you like to see in the NFL?

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
You're not allowed to say "LeBron," because everyone already knows that.

But watching Russell Westbrook I see a guy with a lot of suddenness and acceleration, and at 6'3" 190ish, which would likely be a little heavier playing football, I see a guy who looks like he could be a nice wide receiver.

Dro
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Rudy ***....

i think you guys know who im talking about.

sbh15
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Dirk because it would be funny

Don Vito
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Something tells me a football coach could find a way to use Blake Griffin

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Something tells me a football coach could find a way to use Blake Griffin

3-4 OLB/Goal-line TE. Let's start an online petition or something.

Matthew Jones
06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I think most NBA players could find somewhere to play in the NFL. What about Dwight Howard as a tight end?

Ghost of Juice
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Rajon Rondo at QB. I believe he was a very good high school QB and point guard has some similarities to QB. He also has huge hands, he would never fumble the ball.

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I think most NBA players could find somewhere to play in the NFL. What about Dwight Howard as a tight end?

Haha... I thought about listing Howard and Griffin along with LeBron as players who would obviously evoke some intriguing football possibilities. I think we're basically conditioned to expect them to be great tight ends - Gonzalez, Gates, Graham...

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Rajon Rondo at QB. I believe he was a very good high school QB and point guard has some similarities to QB. He also has huge hands, he would never fumble the ball.

Yep. Good one. He's got the attitude for it, too. Gonna chew somebody's ass if they're not in the right place when he chucks it.

OSUGiants17
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Haha... I thought about listing Howard and Griffin along with LeBron as players who would obviously evoke some intriguing football possibilities. I think we're basically conditioned to expect them to be great tight ends - Gonzalez, Gates, Graham...

Aside from the obvious already stated here, I would love to see Chris Paul as a CB.

Ghost of Juice
06-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Lets think out of the box a little bit. How about Nate Robinson as a RB in a similar role to Darren Sproles? He played college football at Washington. Also, I was thinking Big Baby Davis as a Left Tackle.

Mufasa
06-13-2012, 02:06 PM
You could say every tall player would make a great redzone threat. So might as well pick the tallest one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8Y3VcBFjtPo/TafMi35MAcI/AAAAAAAAARg/VNXNfY6VUUo/s1600/hasheem_thabeet.jpg

9.5 foot reach, good luck Revis.

Plus he sucks at basketball, so he'd have nothing to lose by switching.

K Train
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
i dont think "most" could find something in the NFL, a lot of bb players would be too weak, too frail, and too skinny/long to play in the NFL. could you imagine KD as a WR? hed get jacked up, hes soooo lanky he would get a knee blown out

i tend to agree that dirk would be hands down the funniest

OSUGiants17
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Most of them would have terrible football IQs as well and would never be able to handle playing QB, LB or S

Duffman57
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Lets think out of the box a little bit. How about Nate Robinson as a RB in a similar role to Darren Sproles? He played college football at Washington. Also, I was thinking Big Baby Davis as a Left Tackle.

Nate Rob played CB at U Dub. I think he could ply there in the NBA. What I really wanna see is D Wade as either a ballhawking FS or as a WR. He would mash at either position, and he's physicl enough to play there IMO.

America
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Ron Artest (in his prime) as a defensive end. 6'7, 260. He's got a frame to get bigger and he could be stout at the POA with quick strong hands to swat away OTs. You know he's at least crazy enough to do it.

Docta
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Most of them would be good returners. Derrick Rose comes to mind. He could probably be a sick running back too.

Most true PGs would be good QBs. Nash and Rondo would be great.

MidwayMonster31
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Glen Davis on the Offensive line.

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Ron Artest (in his prime) as a defensive end. 6'7, 260. He's got a frame to get bigger and he could be stout at the POA with quick strong hands to swat away OTs. You know he's at least crazy enough to do it.

Here's another defensive end for ya.

http://www.ultimatenba.com/galerias/BenWallace/BenWallace004.jpg

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/5a/d3/68f8a064e9b0a23ab23f7cfca112.jpg

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1267/4702981768_957e21ffd0_z.jpg

OSUGiants17
06-13-2012, 04:20 PM
This kinda makes me want to start another one of those drafts where we make an expansion football team out of just other sports athletes, rookies, ect. Would any of y'all be down? There would of course be limits on how many rookies, nba players, ect. that you could take.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-13l9NDzcDOw/Tp8pz-tWfUI/AAAAAAAAAYU/xzlm9iNJ__w/s1600/intercontinenatlsmackdown.jpg
CONGRATS! You've found the intercontinental title!

phlysac
06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
DeJuan Blair

Duffman57
06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
This kinda makes me want to start another one of those drafts where we make an expansion football team out of just other sports athletes, rookies, ect. Would any of y'all be down? There would of course be limits on how many rookies, nba players, ect. that you could take.

Hell yeah i'm in!

D-Unit
06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Dwight Howard would pretty much be an unstoppable short yardage/red zone receiver. Nobody could outjump him or outposition him.

Ghost of Juice
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Hell yeah i'm in!

I'm in too!

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Fine. I'm in as well.

Don Vito
06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Iverson back in the day of course

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Iverson back in the day of course

Better than Michael Vick in high school!

DoughBoy
06-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Tyreke Evans, just because he looks like Kenny Britt. Ray Allen would be a great route-runner.

brat316
06-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Hebbert as DE.

FUNBUNCHER
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Derrick Rose = Terrell Owens
LeBron James = Rob Gronkowski

Vid of Kevin Durant playing flag football. QB/DB/WR. Super coordinated to be so tall, but I think he's less than 200#.

IOIa20l6SXo

LeBron and Durant at a private flag football game. Check the pick Lebron makes at 1:05. I think James is one of the sickest athletes on the planet. 6'8, 270# and could probably play SS/TE/DE/OLB in the NFL.
RUY3sAV5qdg

underscore
06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Manute Bol. He'd have been a hell of a FG blocker

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok, well... we know who we'd like to be tight ends. Let's just put Lebron James at starting TE. Or... here. I'll just throw out an incomplete depth chart right here, and we can keep throwing out names. We need some defensive tackles. Some linebackers. Offensive lineman. A running back. Those are going to be the sort-of tough ones. And to make it interesting, we only name 11 offensive players and 11 defensive players, for base formations.

Offense

QB - Rajon Rondo - 6'1" 186

HB -

FB -

WR - Russell Westbrook 6'3" 187

WR -

TE - LeBron James 6'8" 250

LT - Eddy Curry 7'0" 295

LG -

C - Glen Davis 6'9" 289

RG - Robert Traylor 6'8" 295

RT - Andrew Bynum 7'0" 285

DEFENSE

LE - Dwight Howard - 6'11" 265

DT - Mark Eaton 7'4" 300 (retro pick)

DT - Shaquille O'Neal 7'1" 325 (Had to - nobody else)

RE - Blake Griffin - 6'10" 251

OLB - Joey Graham - 6'7" 225

MLB - Ron Artest - 6'7" 260

OLB - Ben Wallace 6'9" 240

CB -

CB -

SS -

FS -

BONUS!

RET -

phlysac
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Better than Michael Vick in high school!

Too bad he was so small. Would've loved to see it, but 6'0" 165 wouldn't cut it.

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
This team would get destroyed, though. Terrible offensive line.

RaiderDiehard
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Sign me up for Deron Williams at receiver! Brandon ******* Marshall.

OSUGiants17
06-13-2012, 08:00 PM
If we can pick baseball players too, give me Joe Mauer at QB over Rondo

DoughBoy
06-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Demarcus Cousins @ LT. Karl Malone and Charles Barkley @ DT.

TACKLE
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Russ and Rose would make pretty awesome slot WR's. King Monta too. I always wonder what guys in the NBA would run the forty.

Also, I remember thinking in his freshman year (when he was heavier) that Jared Sullinger could make a really good LT.

phlysac
06-13-2012, 10:26 PM
It's really tough to assume that the height of many of these players is advantageous. So much of the game is about leverage.

Duffman57
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
This isn't fair, there's too many guys who are more DE/TE's and i'm trying to fit um at OL and DT and its just not working right...lol

I tried not to use as many big name guys, other than the ones that are just unfairly quick and explosive (D Rose, Wade, CP3, Westbrook)

If i had to make a real team....

QB: Allen Iverson (the SICKNESS)
RB: D Rose
(We dont use FB's in this ******, its basketball)
WR#1: JR Smith (You gotta get that big guy in there, dude has toughness)
WR: Russell Westbrook
WR: Ty Lawson (quick little slot)
TE: Kevin Garnett (more blocking style, but still good, once again AGGRESSIVE)
LT: DeMarcus Cousins
LG: Big Baby Davis
C: DeJuan Blair
RG: Eddie Curry
RT: Kendrick Perkins

DE: Ron Artest
DT: Reggie Evans
DT: Zach Randolph
DE: Ben Wallace
OLB: Stephan Jackson
MLB: Derrick Favors
OLB: Rasheed Wallace
CB: Nate Robinson (easy he played in college)
FS: D Wade
SS: Kobe Bryant (I didn't want to put him in here, but it was the only one i could think of)
CB: Chris Paul

Oh...and...

K/P: Steve Nash
Returner: Ty Lawson

Duffman57
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
And that my friends is the absolute gage of how much i dont want to study tonight....lol

Caulibflower
06-13-2012, 11:49 PM
...aren't there any rocked-up guys under 6'5"?

Duffman57
06-14-2012, 12:58 AM
...aren't there any rocked-up guys under 6'5"?

None that are anything over 220...lol. Now you see how different the two sports...lol

TACKLE
06-14-2012, 01:01 AM
What about Tony Allen? 6'4 220ish I think, lights out defender, very aggressive and very explosive. Play him at SAM and have him cover TE's down the field.

Caulibflower
06-14-2012, 01:04 AM
What about Tony Allen? 6'4 220ish I think, lights out defender, very aggressive and very explosive. Play him at SAM and have him cover TE's down the field.

or strong safety.

Caulibflower
06-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Would be really interesting to see how such a tall team would fare, though. Don't know that it's a matter of tall guys not being good at football so much as the elite, tall athletes gravitating to basketball. I mean, Jonathan Ogden's 6'9", Gronk's pushing 6'7", Jared Gaither's 6'9", Leonard Pope's 6'8", Kellen Davis is 6'7", Harold Carmichael Was 6'8", Calais Campbell is 6'8"... there's quite a few.

TACKLE
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Would be really interesting to see how such a tall team would fare, though. Don't know that it's a matter of tall guys not being good at football so much as the elite, tall athletes gravitating to basketball. I mean, Jonathan Ogden's 6'9", Gronk's pushing 6'7", Jared Gaither's 6'9", Leonard Pope's 6'8", Kellen Davis is 6'7", Harold Carmichael Was 6'8", Calais Campbell is 6'8"... there's quite a few.

Also remember that most height you see listed in the NBA are exaggerated by an inch or two.

Bixby (Thumper)
06-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Rajon Rondo at CB plz. A 6'1" corner with speed, athleticism and a 6'10" wingspan. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Kenneth Faried as a TE.

And Tyreke Evans is so fast and quick for someone his size (6'5", 220 with a 7' wingspan) that you'd have to find a spot for him. Amazing athlete but he's pretty freakin' stupid.

Duffman57
06-14-2012, 01:55 AM

There's a TON of OT's around 6'7".

The biggest problem is that you have Rondo/AI playin QB at right around 6' and then you have linemen all over 6'7", all the way up to 7' or 7'1".

It'd have to be exclusively a roll out offense.

But Tony Allen is exactly the type of guy i was looking for at SS, couldn't think of a name before, so i just put Kobe there.

SenorGato
06-14-2012, 03:20 AM
While the NFL is getting more girly and everything is worthy of a penalty, I still can't imagine the NBA who would survive. It's not any of the star NBA players, that much I'd guess.

JoeJoeBrown
06-14-2012, 04:50 AM
While he couldn't break into the nba, David Lighty still plays pro ball overseas. He's expressed interest in playing football and may try out for the NFL if he never gets another shot at the NBA.

He's a WR/TE type. Played football in HS and was recruited by tressel as well as other football teams.

I think Hardin has the frame and the attitude to make a good outside lb/de or TE (just like everyone else).

Big Baby would have been a good outside OT.

Lots of these quick point guards would make great CBs (in the low contact style of Deion Sanders not antione Winfield).

Centers may have a goal line role but maybe too easy to occupy at the LOS by a skilled safety that is very physical. Youd still need to be an athletic 7' guy if it were to work (Dwight obviously comes to mind).

Fun idea for a post.

phlysac
06-15-2012, 12:24 AM

Absolutely right. Those are some of the tallest players in League history. Whereas if you remove Rondo and Westbrook, your absolute shortest player is 6'7"

There are very few players i the NBA who fit the "stereotypical" body-type of NFL players. That's the main reason I listed DeJuan Blair. At 6'7 270, he could legitimately have a Julius Peppers-type profile.

I'm sure there are more but it's just a fact that NBA players are taller and thinner.

TACKLE
06-15-2012, 12:47 AM
There are very few players i the NBA who fit the "stereotypical" body-type of NFL players. That's the main reason I listed DeJuan Blair. At 6'7 270, he could legitimately have a Julius Peppers-type profile.

Julius Peppers type eh? And at which institute of higher learning did DeJuan Blair attend?

Docta
06-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Blair went to Pittsburgh, but he's injured both of his ACL's, so it'd never happen.

MetSox17
06-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Blake Griffin is more Julius Peppers than Blair is. In his prime, Peppers had freakish speed/explosiveness/overall athleticism.

A Perfect Score
06-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Blake Griffin is more Julius Peppers than Blair is. In his prime, Peppers had freakish speed/explosiveness/overall athleticism.

There was rumors floating around Panthers camp that Peppers could run in the 4.4's while wearing pads at 6'6, 280. Now I don't know if they were ever true, but I remember the Panthers lining Peppers up at WR in a game against the Patriots and he did not look uncomfortable there. Peppers is easily one of the most athletic players I've ever personally watched in the NFL...Guys that big shouldn't move that fluidly.

phlysac
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Julius Peppers type eh? And at which institute of higher learning did DeJuan Blair attend?
Body type, yes.
Blake Griffin is 4 inches taller and 40lbs lighter than Julius Peppers.

I'm talking body types.

dmoneyrockin
06-15-2012, 11:28 AM

You need to check out the combine numbers for the NBA players. Strong players put up the 185lb bench 10-12 times, nostep verts are 33-35, 3/4 court sprint (about 25yds) are all over 3sec. The fact is NBA players are no where near the athlete when it comes to explosiveness, and strength as NFL players. NBA players would get murdered in the nfl.

MetSox17
06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Body type, yes.

Blake Griffin is 4 inches taller and 40lbs lighter than Julius Peppers.

I'm talking body types.

Blake Griffin is 6'8, not whatever reported (inflated) height chart you googled.

tjsunstein
06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Reggie Evans with his size, and hustle would do well somewhere.
Matt Barnes was actually a great WR in HS.

FUNBUNCHER
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
You need to check out the combine numbers for the NBA players. Strong players put up the 185lb bench 10-12 times, nostep verts are 33-35, 3/4 court sprint (about 25yds) are all over 3sec. The fact is NBA players are no where near the athlete when it comes to explosiveness, and strength as NFL players. NBA players would get murdered in the nfl.

There are more guys in the NBA with 35+ inch verts than there are in the NFL.
THe NFL has the best combo of big/fast/strong athletes, but on the other hand there are dozens of guys in the NBA who chose basketball over football because they liked the sport more.

Charles Barkley at 6'4, 300# had the physical tools to be an all-pro lineman on either side of the football.

TACKLE
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
There are more guys in the NBA with 35+ inch verts than there are in the NFL.

You'd think so but oddly enough I'm not sure that's true. Like at this year's NBA Combine, of the guys who participated only one player jumped at least 35" (with no step like in the NFL).

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-athleticism-results

ncst8fan83
06-15-2012, 06:12 PM
If we're going old school, I would have loved to have seen Dennis Rodman and Magic Johnson in the NFL. David Thompson would have been a ridiculous WR.

It's ridiculous to expect someone from the NBA to immediately step onto a football field and compete. They are two different sports entirely. I would probably bet a good 90% of the NFL couldn't come close to being respectable on an NBA court either. Some would get by on athletic talent, true. But if LeBron James was groomed from pee-wee football onward to being the greatest football player on earth, I doubt there are many who would think he wouldn't be a freaking STAR in the NFL.

I think baseball players, from a physical standpoint, are easier to slot into NFL positions. NBA players are just genetic freaks for the most part. I'd love to see Joe Mauer and Josh Hamilton on the football field. It'd be tough to find linemen though.

phlysac
06-16-2012, 12:35 AM

Blake Griffin is 6'8, not whatever reported (inflated) height chart you googled.

The NBA uses "height in shoes" as its base. Griffin measured 6'8 5/8" at the Combine. It doesn't change the fact that, although significantly taller, he weighs 40-50lbs less.

The NFL physique and the NBA physique are simply different. I only used DeJuan Blair's name because his body-type is similar.

Caulibflower
06-16-2012, 12:44 AM
You've also got to consider the fact that if you're a high school kid, and you're pretty athletic but mostly tall and heavy... what other sport are you going to excel at, except maybe wrestling?

Rosebud
06-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Iman Shumpert coulda been one hell of a Corner with his long arms, size, stength and crazy fast hands and feet.

You're long armed but undersized rebounding PFs like Dorsey, Evans, Landry and Blair would find a spot on a football field. Strong and athletic with great armspans but not too tall to get low on a football field.

Rosebud
06-16-2012, 01:33 AM
If we're going old school, I would have loved to have seen Dennis Rodman and Magic Johnson in the NFL. David Thompson would have been a ridiculous WR.

It's ridiculous to expect someone from the NBA to immediately step onto a football field and compete. They are two different sports entirely. I would probably bet a good 90% of the NFL couldn't come close to being respectable on an NBA court either. Some would get by on athletic talent, true. But if LeBron James was groomed from pee-wee football onward to being the greatest football player on earth, I doubt there are many who would think he wouldn't be a freaking STAR in the NFL.

I think baseball players, from a physical standpoint, are easier to slot into NFL positions. NBA players are just genetic freaks for the most part. I'd love to see Joe Mauer and Josh Hamilton on the football field. It'd be tough to find linemen though.

I don't think LeBron would've been a star football player. What position is he going to play? TE or DE? At either one his center of gravity is way too high and he'd get manhandled on the line and broken in half on any catch over the middle.

Rosebud
06-16-2012, 01:37 AM
There was rumors floating around Panthers camp that Peppers could run in the 4.4's while wearing pads at 6'6, 280. Now I don't know if they were ever true, but I remember the Panthers lining Peppers up at WR in a game against the Patriots and he did not look uncomfortable there. Peppers is easily one of the most athletic players I've ever personally watched in the NFL...Guys that big shouldn't move that fluidly.

Julius Peppers might be the most impressive athletic specimen I've seen in any sport. Mario Williams and JPP get shoutouts, but Peppers has the body control and flexibility of JPP with the stupefying size/speed combo of Mario.

TACKLE
06-16-2012, 02:24 AM
I don't think LeBron would've been a star football player. What position is he going to play? TE or DE? At either one his center of gravity is way too high and he'd get manhandled on the line and broken in half on any catch over the middle.

I have little doubt that LeBron would have been one if not the best TE in NFL history.

Rosebud
06-16-2012, 03:11 AM
I have little doubt that LeBron would have been one if not the best TE in NFL history.

He's just so tall I can't see him being any good as a blocker or having much durability getting pummelled over the middle. If he played TE the way Finley does, then he might survive an NFL season, but I think the best case scenario for a LeBron NFL career is similar to the one Kellen Winslow has had, great an eplosive started ruined by progressively more debilitating injuries until his athleticism and durability is gone completely. Plus with how long it's taken him to develop any kinda footwork in the post, I'd have my doubts about LeBron ever becoming more than mediocre-to-poor route runner.

TACKLE
06-16-2012, 03:55 AM
He's just so tall I can't see him being any good as a blocker or having much durability getting pummelled over the middle. If he played TE the way Finley does, then he might survive an NFL season, but I think the best case scenario for a LeBron NFL career is similar to the one Kellen Winslow has had, great an eplosive started ruined by progressively more debilitating injuries until his athleticism and durability is gone completely. Plus with how long it's taken him to develop any kinda footwork in the post, I'd have my doubts about LeBron ever becoming more than mediocre-to-poor route runner.

Well let's put it this way: Jimmy Graham in his 3rd year ever playing football had a more productive season than any TE in NFL history prior to him. Now if Jimmy Graham was slightly taller, faster, could jump higher and was all around a lot more explosive, he'd probably be an even better player and even more productive I'm guessing.

I'm not sure why LeBron is a walking injury in your hypothetical. He could easily play at 6'7-8 270lbs and be stronger and more physical than starting TE's in the league today. The TE position more so than any other position is built for freak athletes and has proven to be very translatable from basketball. So personally, I just wouldn't bet against a guy who is arguably the biggest freak athlete in any sport ever who also happens to be a basketball player with a perfect physical skillset to play TE, not to be amazing at that position. But that's just me.

WCH
06-16-2012, 07:23 AM

I've also heard that when Reggie White came into the NFL, he would routinely outrun the Eagles RBs in the 40. I'm not sure how much truth there is in the White/Peppers legends, but it says a lot about them that people would even make up these stories.

This is true. People generally overestimate the VJ, in particular, of basketball players (Kevin Durant has a 33" no-step VJ). Some very good players have been in the 24-27" range. If you're tall and you have a 33 inch no-step vert, then you can dunk pretty easily. I'd love to see a dunk contest among NFL players during Pro Bowl week.

The NBA uses "height in shoes" as its base. Griffin measured 6'8 5/8" at the Combine. It doesn't change the fact that, although significantly taller, he weighs 40-50lbs less.

The NFL physique and the NBA physique are simply different. I only used DeJuan Blair's name because his body-type is similar.

I came into this thread to point this out. If you want proof, you can look at the basketball-turned-football players who are in the NFL. They were typically listed about two inches taller when they played college basketball. For example, Jimmy Graham is 6'8" when he plays basketball (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/graham_jimmy00.html). Yet, he measured a hair over 6'6" (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103531&draftyear=2010&genpos=TE) at the NFL combine.

You can also look at NBA combine numbers where they measure players with shoes and without shoes. Dwight Howard, for example, measured 6'9 without shoes (he also had 30.5" VJ, if anybody is wondering). That's tall, but it's not as ridiculously tall as the 6'11 that he's listed at.

So the height difference is overstated and romanticized.

FUNBUNCHER
06-16-2012, 10:41 AM
LeBron James was All State in football in Ohio and had a standing football scholarship offer from the Buckeyes. He was just as much a freak on the football field as he was on the b-ball court.

He'd be a cross between Gronk/Graham; more athletic than Gronkowski and much bigger than Jimmy Graham.

He's the one NBA player playing right now who IMO could attend a pro training camp and be ready to start the season at TE.

Plat
06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
One reason that the NBA combine numbers aren't as good as the NFL combine numbers is that they don't put near as much emphasis on the combine.

Also, leg power equals a higher vertical, they are two completely different sports that requires two different training regiment specializing on different stuff.

dmoneyrockin
06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
LeBron James was All State in football in Ohio and had a standing football scholarship offer from the Buckeyes. He was just as much a freak on the football field as he was on the b-ball court.

He'd be a cross between Gronk/Graham; more athletic than Gronkowski and much bigger than Jimmy Graham.

He's the one NBA player playing right now who IMO could attend a pro training camp and be ready to start the season at TE.

Its quiet the jump from D3 ALL-OHIO (a lot of allstate guys are barely good enough for D3 ball) to the NFL. Your expectations are a little over the top, imo.

WCH
06-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Anybody who has ever trained can tell you that you add 3-6 inches with a two-step VJ vs. a standing VJ. When you look at the NBA combine numbers and factor in the two-step VJ, the math adds up. If we figure that Kevin Durant is 6'9" with shoes then that puts him at 81 inches tall. He measured a 33.5" standing VJ, so lets round up to 34" to make the math easy. That means that from a standing a position, his head reaches 115 inches (81+34=115), which is only 5 inches away from the rim. If you give him a multi-step start (momentum, and whatnot) and make the mathematical adjustments, then that puts his head at rim-level -- which is pretty much what we see during games.

The NBA combine numbers are fine (at least when it comes to the VJ). The 45" VJ is a myth.

Put another way: if Michael Jordan really had the 48" VJ that some people like to claim, then his head would be a full half-foot above the rim on a simple VJ. Does that make even the slightest bit of sense?

J52
06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
To clear up the issue. I'm a graduate student who has done tons of research on the topic of athleticism and power.

NBA athletes don't jump well in the vertical. What makes an NBA player jump well is the running start. A gifted NBA athlete is one with long tendons in their lower leg that store and release kinetic energy efficiently. They run and jump well because their bodies are very good at reacting like a spring. So they take two steps and then jump from (observe the difference between a guy that jumps with two feet vs one foot) one foot and reach high heights.

NFL athletes are (mostly) explosive athletes. They generate significantly more power from a stop and convert no movement to high velocity quickly. An NFL player's vertical is much higher due their ability to generate force and power. The explosive muscle that you build while doing cleans correlates very highly with the vertical jump skill set.

Guys like Manny Lawson jumping 45 inches while Derrick Rose jumps 27 is not a myth. They are just built differently and excel at different things. Lawson generates power like a canon and Rose stores and releases energy like a rubber band.

MOST NBA players would be rather pitiful at football due to these reasons. Aside from CB, WR, safety and maybe scat backs. There are no DEs/TEs in the NBA. They would have to train for over a year to put develop the power. Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates didn't decide to switch and ended up being good. They both were pretty terrible for a few years as they re-engineered their muscle to meat the demands of football.

In fact, Deion Sanders is built more like a basketball player then a football player. A good indicator is calf height. If you look at Deions calves, they look like a female childs. This means that the tendon is LONG and extremely efficient. Look at somebody like Trent Richardson's. Pure power athlete. His calf is half way down his leg. Kind of like a hammer. Grip it halfway and it's easy as hell to manipulate it. Grip it at the bottom of the handle and all you can do is redirect it's momentum. Jump->step = redirecting momentum. Plant->turn around = start stop manipulation.

Long post, but I could talk about this all day. Love this topic.

FUNBUNCHER
06-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Great athletes choose a sport based on skillset and preference, not particularly bodytype.

If Allen Iverson had been 185# in HS instead of 150#, he might have stuck with football.

As someone else stated, the NBA doesn't place near the amount of significance on their combine as the NFL does. Derrick Rose may have jumped an 'official' 27 inches, but I question whether or not that was his maximum effort. You can't play above the rim like he does in the paint without serious hops.

The real difference IMO is that college b-ball players don't spend nearly the amount of time or effort weight training that the average NCAA football player does.

BTW, if you google 'Derrick Rose' and 'vertical', you find endless hits that claim he has a 40 inch vert. A 27 inch vert doesn't translate to his actual game at all.

Caulibflower
06-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Great athletes choose a sport based on skillset and preference, not particularly bodytype.

If Allen Iverson had been 185# in HS instead of 150#, he might have stuck with football.

As someone else stated, the NBA doesn't place near the amount of significance on their combine as the NFL does. Derrick Rose may have jumped an 'official' 27 inches, but I question whether or not that was his maximum effort. You can't play above the rim like he does in the paint without serious hops.

The real difference IMO is that college b-ball players don't spend nearly the amount of time or effort weight training that the average NCAA football player does.

BTW, if you google 'Derrick Rose' and 'vertical', you find endless hits that claim he has a 40 inch vert. A 27 inch vert doesn't translate to his actual game at all.

What kind of pro athlete would jump 13" under his "real" vertical at a nationally-covered event? And yes, the internet is full of claims.

FUNBUNCHER
06-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Just from watching his game, if I ask myself is Derrick Rose closer to a 30 inch vert instead of 40 inches, I'd say he was the latter.

If I'm an NBA scout and I was scouting Derrick Rose in his one season at Memphis, the eyeball test tells me the PG who's blowing past his own players on fastbreaks and dunking over guys a half foot taller than he is at will is more important than what Rose jumped at the NBA combine.
THe NBA isn't totally metric centered like the NFL is.

I haven't researched it, but I doubt the NBA combine is the only time Rose has had his vertical officially measured.

Anyway, back to the OP. I still think there was a HS football coach somewhere in Chicago who was begging a teenage Derrick Rose to come out for the football team and score TDs. Bet the same thing happened to Dwayne Wade too.
Hell I used to have a HS football coach who'd watch the soccer team practice and promise dudes they could lock up full rides in the ACC playing cornerback if they'd only switch sports.

dmoneyrockin
06-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Even had Iverson been 185lbs he still would have been a weakarmed vastly undersized QB. Also, by your arguement he chose BBall based on his body type.

If college ball players aren't working out as hard as football players (which I think is highly possible) there is a major problem. Someone should be holding these kids accountable. Guys coming into the NBA unable to bench a measly 185lbs is pathetic, and makes me doubt these guys know what the inside of a weightroom looks like.

On a side note, I'd like to see a NBA version of the wonderlic. There would be a lot of bad scores coming out of that.

FUNBUNCHER
06-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I'd argue that AI was a better defensive back than quarterback. I meant he would have been a corner/safety in college and possibly the pros, not a QB.

About the BP, it's an interesting metric but it doesn't have many direct sports applications, other than to give you a rough idea about a player's overall core upper body strength. It's a decent measure for lineman, but for all football players how strong and explosive they are from the waist down is more important than how powerful they are from the waist up.

B-ball places more emphasis on functional strength than raw weight room power numbers.

dmoneyrockin
06-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I'd argue that AI was a better defensive back than quarterback. I meant he would have been a corner/safety in college and possibly the pros, not a QB.

About the BP, it's an interesting metric but it doesn't have many direct sports applications, other than to give you a rough idea about a player's overall core upper body strength. It's a decent measure for lineman, but for all football players how strong and explosive they are from the wast down is more important than how powerful they are from the waist up.

B-ball places more emphasis on functional strength than raw weight room power numbers.

Agree that the bench doesn't relate much to functional strength, but for a 200lb man to not at least be able to throw up their own body wieght at least once is pretty sad. If you can't bench your body wieght, can you even do a push up? Also your surely not going to be able to have much effect on moving an opponent.

BamaFalcon59
06-17-2012, 01:35 PM
None that are anything over 220...lol. Now you see how different the two sports...lol

Dwyane Wade.

Also remember that most height you see listed in the NBA are exaggerated by an inch or two.

Yeah, they measure with shoes on.

Leon Sandcastle
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
All those undersized, stocky PF's would make great TE's or DE's. Guys like Kenneth Faried, Paul Milslap, DeJuan Blair, Quincy Acy and the like and the hyper athletic PG's like Rose, Westbrook, Ellis would beast at WR or FS.

bulldog0123
07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Terrence Williams as a FS. He has ball-hawking abilities and is very physical in basketball. He has a good body. I would really like to see him in the NFL.

JamiesonSports
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
in his prime, dwyane wade as a receiver/returner..

Plat
08-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Ron Artest, Ben Wallace and Serge Ibaka plus 20 pounds of muscle as DE's, also the Graham brothers and Griffin twins as TE's

Halsey
08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Zaza Pachulia as the Falcons returner. That would be off the chain.