PDA

View Full Version : LaDainian Tomlinson to retire

G Mobile
06-17-2012, 12:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8062895/san-diego-chargers-re-sign-ladainian-tomlinson-retire

I know he dropped off the past couple years but the man is a clear cut Hall of Farmer and its nice to see him retire a Charger with no fuss. Someone please post some career highlights videos for me cause I'm stuck on my phone.

WCH
06-17-2012, 12:59 PM
7WgBaKVbJIA

At his peak, he was so good it was silly.

BamaFalcon59
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I think, had he won a ring, he would go down as one of the best ever. As in top three to five. Without that, he's right outside that range.

But from a pure talent standpoint, he had it all. Maybe the best pass catching back of all time and also maybe the best ever around the goal line. Great speed, elusiveness, and good power.

Don Vito
06-17-2012, 01:36 PM
He had a crazy run as the best back in the game for a while. He hated the Pats and that made me sour on him for a while but nobody can deny how dominant he was for a while. He definitely faded towards the end I'm going to have to watch that highlight tape nowfor old times sake.

WCH
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I didn't notice this until I started watching highlight videos just a little while ago, but he really knew how to use his arms to avoid being tackled.

boknows34
06-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I think, had he won a ring, he would go down as one of the best ever. As in top three to five. Without that, he's right outside that range.

But from a pure talent standpoint, he had it all. Maybe the best pass catching back of all time and also maybe the best ever around the goal line. Great speed, elusiveness, and good power.

Super Bowl rings do not define a RB like they do a QB. Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson have zero combined Super Bowl rings. In fact none of them have even played in a Super Bowl. Franco Harris and Roger Craig have 7 rings between the two of them.

Walter Payton was 30, the same age Sanders played his last game, before seeing his Bears finally win a postseason game. Sayers never even played a playoff game in his entire career.

Splat
06-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Ya, I don't see how not having a ring makes him any less of a player.

OSUGiants17
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Rings mean nothing for a RB as far as their career goes.

Tomlinson had legit the filthiest stiff arm I've ever seen. That thing was lethal. He was good at everything and great at somethings. Hands down the greatest RB of my generation, no doubt about it.

Ness
06-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Definitely the best running back of the 00' s. Great career.

OSUGiants17
06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/214410988856946688

Dude carried his team for a few years, he was insane

Nalej
06-17-2012, 04:33 PM
LT or M. Faulk?

vidae
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Faulk, no question.

LT was a god for a while there though.

WCH
06-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I'd go in the other direction and take LT, without a moments hesitation.

brat316
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I was always hoping LT would break Smith's record.

maybe someone else in another decade.

Brent
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I know this is the NFL forum, but he was so ******* good at TCU. It was stupid.

Hqu6SOzdpjg

brat316
06-17-2012, 07:18 PM
small school prospect knock?

onejayhawk
06-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Little known piece of trivia. The guy that preceded LT at TCU is Bills OC Curtis Modkins.

I have had the priviledge of watching two NFL great RBs while they were in HS. Barry Sanders went to the same HS I did, 5 years later. He carried a mediocre team to the playoffs. LT was the local star here in WAco shortly after we moved down.

Funny thing, as good as each was, neither was top dog at that time. Sanders had an older/bigger/faster brother and LT was at the "other" HS in Waco. Neither went to one of the top football powers. Talking to some of LT's teammates, it was his work ethic that set him apart.

J

BamaFalcon59
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I still think him winning a ring would have improved his standing. He never had success in the playoffs, individually or team-wise.

K Train
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
one of the most viciously disgusting stiffarms ever.

I thought he was kinda whiny in SD, but i always liked him and i dont think drew brees would be the QB he is today without getting to play with LT early in his career. Those two grew a lot as players together and pushed each other so hard.

My favorite clip of tomlinson will always be james harrison filling in at MLB for an injured james farrior and picking off brees and hurdling LT, it was sex on turf lol.

I think hes a HOFer despite no rings, and i would take him over faulk

bantx
06-18-2012, 01:21 PM
At least he retired a bolt.

Where do I start! LaDainian Tomlinson, been a huge fan since he was playing at TCU followed him to the chargers and he was the reason I am a charger fan today. My favorite player ever; he was one of the most exciting players I've witness to play RB. Watching him dominate in the run, receiving and even threw a few touchdowns. His stiff arms were lethal to go along with his speed. He kept SD relevant for so long, sad he couldn't get him a ring.

To my favorite player.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0g46vXvjR1qde80s.gif

http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/lt.gif?w=460
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/football-pictures-4.jpg
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/116075/ladainian-tomlinson.jpg
http://www.footbasket.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ladainian-tomlinson.jpg

brat316
06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Best throwing Rb ever. top 10 in passer rating.

brat316
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Finally Retired. Last of the work horse back.

TheFinisher
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
I was always hoping LT would break Smith's record.

maybe someone else in another decade.

Smith's records aren't as out of reach as Rice's, but they're still gonna be damn hard to reach. 18,000+ rushing yards is insane. You could average 2K yards per season for 9 years(which today is a long career for a RB) and still be short. And with the league shifting more towards passing offenses and 2 back systems... that record is gonna stand for a long time.

FUNBUNCHER
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Finally Retired. Last of the work horse back.

IMO he's the last RB who will be inducted into the Hall from this generation or after.
AD I think will be slowed by injuries and won't get 10k for his career.

jrdrylie
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
IMO he's the last RB who will be inducted into the Hall from this generation or after.

If Steven Jackson can have two more solid seasons, he'll be at around 11,500yards, 78 TDs with about 3700 yards receiving and 10 TDs. That would put him in the top 20 of Yards from Scrimmage. So he has a chance. Playing on a team that doesn't sucks would have helped though.

K Train
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM

bold statement but the run isnt THAT gone and im sure he wont be the last exciting, dominant RB. The league fluctuates, as pass heavy keeps evolving and expanding more are going to look towards a dominant RB. Hell chris johnson just got 2000 not too long ago

Philliez01
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
I think I'll most remember Tomlinson for when I first started playing fantasy football in eighth grade, he was THE MAN to get.

2 Live Crew
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Absolute TD machine. Comparable career numbers to Faulk and Sanders, even edging them in some categories. He belongs in the same class as them IMO. A cut above Edge and Thermal

BamaFalcon59
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Edge could have had insane numbers had he not gotten injured/ never left Indy.

The Alex
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Remember when the Colts picked Edge above Ricky Williams and fans / some analysts got butthurt about it?

brat316
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I think you are thinking about Eagles picking McNabb over Williams.

TheFinisher
06-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Remember when the Colts picked Edge above Ricky Williams and fans / some analysts got butthurt about it?

Ricky Williams topped 10K yards for his career, he was no slouch and probably was the better RB prospect coming out.

The Alex
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Ricky Williams topped 10K yards for his career, he was no slouch and probably was the better RB prospect coming out.

Oh I love Ricky Williams, I'm just saying, Edge got picked ahead of one of the most hyped running back prospects ever and almost nobody remembers it.

Vox Populi
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Edge was pretty obviously a better fit for Indy's system though.

1funguy
06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
The record that will be tough to beat? 28 rushing TD's in a single season. Plus 3 more receiving. Particularly with the increase in RBBC & emphasis on passing.

See you at your Canton induction, LT.

K Train
06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
The record that will be tough to beat? 28 rushing TD's in a single season. Plus 3 more receiving. Particularly with the increase in RBBC & emphasis on passing.

See you at your Canton induction, LT.

i definitely think thats gonna be a breakable one. guys like peterson, MJD, richardson could be candidates to do that in the next few years

bantx
06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
i definitely think thats gonna be a breakable one. guys like peterson, MJD, richardson could be candidates to do that in the next few years

I'm not trying to sound like an LT fanboy, but pass heavy offenses has taken over the NFL and to echo what others have said LT is one of the last few remaining work horse backs left that was actually used as one. You saw it last year no matter how important and good MJD was to the jags last year they still threw it with fagbert way too much. And to predict Richardson would amount to something like that is a big premature seeing has he's never touched the field. And AD has the best chance at it but he has the injury bug too often.

K Train
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm not trying to sound like an LT fanboy, but pass heavy offenses has taken over the NFL and to echo what others have said LT is one of the last few remaining work horse backs left that was actually used as one. You saw it last year no matter how important and good MJD was to the jags last year they still threw it with fagbert way too much. And to predict Richardson would amount to something like that is a big premature seeing has he's never touched the field. And AD has the best chance at it but he has the injury bug too often.

i mean MJD was a monster last season despite gabbert being completely horrid...imagine if gabbert becomes servicable, or if they move on from gabbert sooner rather than later in favor of someone better.

Peterson is hurt now, but he really hasnt been as injury prone as many people thought he would be....i actually think hes been pretty durable all thigns considered.

And richardson, just a prediction, but he fits the mold of a workhorse back, same with guys like ray rice who just grind it out. The league is a pssing league right now, but even teams with good passing attacks like houston have found great running games and as more and more teams look for an aerial attack, the league will evolve and put stronger emphasis on the run

FUNBUNCHER
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
28 TDs rushing on paper sounds like it's an attainable stat, but damn that's a tough number to hit in any era.

Believe it when I see it, but IMO that record stands for at least another decade if not longer.

How man backs have rushed for over 20 TDs in a season?? Shawn Alexander/Riggins/Emmitt Smith/Tomlinson?

To rush for 29 TDs is crazy.

1funguy
06-23-2012, 07:05 AM

We'll see. I don't think it's as attainable as you apparently do.

WCH
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
i mean MJD was a monster last season despite gabbert being completely horrid...imagine if gabbert becomes servicable, or if they move on from gabbert sooner rather than later in favor of someone better.

Peterson is hurt now, but he really hasnt been as injury prone as many people thought he would be....i actually think hes been pretty durable all thigns considered.

And richardson, just a prediction, but he fits the mold of a workhorse back, same with guys like ray rice who just grind it out. The league is a pssing league right now, but even teams with good passing attacks like houston have found great running games and as more and more teams look for an aerial attack, the league will evolve and put stronger emphasis on the run

As long as we're just speculating, I'm not even remotely convinced that this is true. With math nerds showing that passing has always been the most important variable, going back as far as the 40s, and with recent rule changes that make passing even easier, I think that it would require a dramatic and destructive rule change to move us back towards emphasizing the run.

If anything, I could see the Packers approach ("RB? What the hell is a RB?") catching on for a few years, and then we'll eventually regress back to todays level of emphasis on the run.

Borat
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I still cannot believe that LDT chose to dress like a nerd for his retirement announcement. Seriously, this fad has gone too far. He looked ridiculous. In a few years, he'll look back at that and won't believe what he's seeing.