PDA

View Full Version : June 24th Mock Draft

Matthew Jones
06-24-2012, 03:47 AM
My latest mock draft for Draft Examiner can be found below. Let me know what you think!

June 24th Mock Draft

1. Jacksonville Jaguars QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*

2. Cleveland Browns WR Keenan Allen, California*

3. Minnesota Vikings WR Robert Woods, Southern California*

4. Arizona Cardinals QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech*

5. Indianapolis Colts CB David Amerson, North Carolina St.*

6. Miami Dolphins FS Eric Reid, Louisiana St.*

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

8. St. Louis Rams WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee*

9. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) OT Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin

10. Oakland Raiders OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M*

11. New York Jets - DE Barkevious Mingo, Louisiana St.*

12. Seattle Seahawks - CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St.

13. Buffalo Bills - LB Sean Porter, Texas A&M

14. Tennessee Titans - DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas*

15. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Aaron Murray, Georgia

16. Carolina Panthers - FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California

17. San Diego Chargers - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

18. Chicago Bears - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan*

19. Dallas Cowboys - QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

20. New Orleans Saints - DE Sam Montgomery, Louisiana St.*

21. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia*

22. Cincinnati Bengals - RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina*

23. Detroit Lions - DE Alex Okafor, Texas

24. Baltimore Ravens - OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama*

25. Denver Broncos - NT Johnathon Hankins, Ohio St.

26. Pittsburgh Steelers - FS Robert Lester, Alabama

27. Atlanta Falcons - OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M*

28. New York Giants - OL Barrett Jones, Alabama*

29. San Francisco 49ers - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama*

30. Houston Texans - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame*

31. Green Bay Packers - CB Tyrann Mathieu, Louisiana St.*

32. New England Patriots - DT Bennie Logan, Louisiana St.*

Also considered:

RB Eddie Lacey, Alabama*

WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas

C Khaled Holmes, Southern California

DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist

LB Kevin Reddick, North Carolina

TACKLE
06-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Sir, I like DJ Fluker and think he can be a dominant guard in the right situation (not necessarily ours because of athletic limitations) but there's no role for him on our team at all. He's essentially just another Osemele who was essentially just another Jah Reid - a RT only who could move inside and play LG.

Matthew Jones
06-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Sir, I like DJ Fluker and think he can be a dominant guard in the right situation (not necessarily ours because of athletic limitations) but there's no role for him on our team at all. He's essentially just another Osemele who was essentially just another Jah Reid - a RT only who could move inside and play LG.

I wouldn't say that Fluker has athletic limitations, he's actually very nimble and athletic. My main concerns with him are that he has trouble sustaining blocks and playing with a killer instinct. My thinking was that the Ravens may be looking to replace Bryant McKinnie and/or Michael Oher after the season, and that Fluker, Osemele, Birk, Yanda, and Reid would be the offensive line in some order. I think either Fluker or Osemele could potentially handle left tackle. Which direction do you think Baltimore will go in?

TACKLE
06-24-2012, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't say that Fluker has athletic limitations, he's actually very nimble and athletic. My main concerns with him are that he has trouble sustaining blocks and playing with a killer instinct. My thinking was that the Ravens may be looking to replace Bryant McKinnie and/or Michael Oher after the season, and that Fluker, Osemele, Birk, Yanda, and Reid would be the offensive line in some order. I think either Fluker or Osemele could potentially handle left tackle. Which direction do you think Baltimore will go in?

No way do I see them even considering KO and or Fluker at LT. When McKinnie is gone in 2013 let's say, unless they can get a legit pass blocking LT, they'll move Oher back to left and KO/Reid will man the LG and RT spot depending on how it all shakes out this year. With us taking 3 O-Line in the first 4 rounds, re-signing Yanda long term in the past two seasons and us having our starting RT/LT signed through 2013.

Only way I see us going O-Line in the first is if there is a bonafide pure LT prospect and Oher doesn't take the jump this year most are expecting or Gino Gradkowski is meh and they fall in love with Barrett Jones at center (the position he is playing this season). We have a lot of young WR's but only one who has ever really seen the field and Boldin is as slow as ever so I would classify WR as a 1st round need unless someone blows up out of nowhere which I'm certainly not counting on. ILB (again) and safety would be the other best options. We're lucky not to have a lot of pressing needs. For some reason the Ravens get tagged as old but we have quality young starters and depth across the board.

Matthew Jones
06-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Arkansas WR Cobi Hamilton would work well with Joe Flacco and is stronger than Torrey Smith, but maybe a little bit too similar in terms of his style of play. I'm not sure any of the other receivers would be worth drafting at that point from Baltimore's perspective. Barrett Jones makes some sense, although I think he may be more of a guard at the next level rather than a center; Khaled Holmes is more of a true center than Jones. I thought about an inside linebacker, but no one really fit Dean Pees' scheme; Kevin Reddick and Shayne Skov are both too small. I wasn't sure whether or not the Ravens would draft a safety considering their recent investment in Christian Thompson, who certainly has more starter potential than say Gino Gradkowski.

Razor
06-24-2012, 05:27 AM
I would much rather have Marquess Wilson than Bennie Logan, although it seems more likely for BB to select a DT over a WR. However, we need outside receivers and both Wilson and Hamilton would fit the bill.

Knicks and Bucs
06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I keep saying this. Star is the wrong DT for Tampa. Some defenses need specific DTs for their defenses. Like a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. You would not draft a 3-4 OLB for a 4-3 defense would you? He would be much better for the new orleans defense. He will probably fall to them. He is an average DT at best. I see nothing special in him that would make him the next Suh or Ngata. Its also not like you have to have two DTs for the defense to be awesome. Detroit has one awesome DT and one average DT and their line is all right. The bucs can get a DT in the 3rd or 4th round who is as just as effective. They invested too much 1st rounders in the d-line. They should go somewhere else. RT, TE, OLB, CB, maybe QB are all bigger needs.

Also give Brian Price a break. It is on his 3rd year. D-linemen take the most time out of any position to develop. So, they would be starting over with Star (if they take him which I highly doubt). Not all of them make their presence felt their first year like Suh. Thank you and please drive up to the first window.

vidae
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I would much rather take Tyler Wilson than Aaron Murray.

Pat Sims 90
06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't see the Bengals taking a RB with knee problems they have already been though that Kenny Irons.

Matthew Jones
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I keep saying this. Star is the wrong DT for Tampa. Some defenses need specific DTs for their defenses. Like a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. You would not draft a 3-4 OLB for a 4-3 defense would you? He would be much better for the new orleans defense. He will probably fall to them. He is an average DT at best. I see nothing special in him that would make him the next Suh or Ngata. Its also not like you have to have two DTs for the defense to be awesome. Detroit has one awesome DT and one average DT and their line is all right. The bucs can get a DT in the 3rd or 4th round who is as just as effective. They invested too much 1st rounders in the d-line. They should go somewhere else. RT, TE, OLB, CB, maybe QB are all bigger needs.

Also give Brian Price a break. It is on his 3rd year. D-linemen take the most time out of any position to develop. So, they would be starting over with Star (if they take him which I highly doubt). Not all of them make their presence felt their first year like Suh. Thank you and please drive up to the first window.

I like right tackle as a need for the Buccaneers considering that Jeremy Trueblood has been awful, but I'm not sure it's a top ten need. Tampa Bay could probably target the position a little bit later. There are no tight ends available which are worth a top ten pick either. Johnthan Banks wouldn't be a huge reach at number seven, but I think Tampa Bay might get some solid production out of Talib and Eric Wright. Jarvis Jones and Sean Porter could be options as well. I ended up going with the prospect who has the highest ceiling. I'm not going to completely discount Brian Price, but he was out of shape and injured as a rookie, then had an awful season last year, so he'll have to show something this year in order to stick around.

I would much rather take Tyler Wilson than Aaron Murray.

I'm a bigger fan of Murray, although obviously it's too early to tell who is going to go higher. Murray is more experienced, more polished mechanically, and I love his competitiveness. Tyler Wilson was pretty successful last year as well but I'd like to see his footwork and mechanics improve before ranking him that high. Keep in mind that Wilson was playing in Bobby Petrino's spread offense with Joe Adams, Greg Childs, Cobi Hamilton, and Jarius Wright and threw for 3600 yards and 24 TD, while Aaron Murray did a lot of pro-style stuff and ended up throwing for 3100 and 35. Wilson's tools are appealing and he could certainly surpass Murray if he shows improvement in his second year as a starter, but I don't think he's earned a selection that high yet.

I don't see the Bengals taking a RB with knee problems they have already been though that Kenny Irons.

Which other positions do you think Cincinnati would consider? I thought about Barrett Jones, Khaled Holmes, and Robert Lester as well, but went with the best player available. We'll have to see how Lattimore rehabs from his injury.

OSUGiants17
06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Love where we are picking and who we pick

Pat Sims 90
06-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Which other positions do you think Cincinnati would consider? I thought about Barrett Jones, Khaled Holmes, and Robert Lester as well, but went with the best player available. We'll have to see how Lattimore rehabs from his injury.

SS depending on if Taylor Mays, George Iloka, or Robert Sands is worth starting after this year.

MIKE depending on play of Maualuga or Burfict.

CB Clements, Adam Jones, and Newman are FAs

WR depending on if any shows up at the #2 spot.

RaiderNation
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I can't see OT being a need after this season, Veldheer looks like one of the better young LT's in the NFL and we have 3 players battling for the RT job already. If we are picking in the top 10 QB will have to be looked at for the future, and we still need a dynamic pass rusher to play in our attacking defense so Mingo would be a homerun selection.

SickwithIt1010
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Love me some Jarvis Jones, but I fully expect OL to be the biggest target with the uncertainty of whats gonna happen with Peters.

T-RICH49
06-24-2012, 09:18 PM
good pick for KC

RCAChainGang
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I like the Colts pick. Do you expect him to play CB or could he end up switching to S. I haven't seen a ton of tape on him. How does he fair in man coverage?

EDIT: Great mock though and thanks for stirring the pot a little in this dry spot of the offseason.

CJSchneider
06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
The Saints pick is fine. I will say this that I am not sold 100% that DE may not be our prime need. I'm going to have to see how we play the season out. OT may be a better pick.

K Train
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
id like xavier rhodes to the steelers, i like lester ok but the only safety id really want in round one is mcdonald. Brandon Jenkins or Chase Thomas could be considered there too

Knicks and Bucs
06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I like right tackle as a need for the Buccaneers considering that Jeremy Trueblood has been awful, but I'm not sure it's a top ten need. Tampa Bay could probably target the position a little bit later. There are no tight ends available which are worth a top ten pick either. Johnthan Banks wouldn't be a huge reach at number seven, but I think Tampa Bay might get some solid production out of Talib and Eric Wright. Jarvis Jones and Sean Porter could be options as well. I ended up going with the prospect who has the highest ceiling. I'm not going to completely discount Brian Price, but he was out of shape and injured as a rookie, then had an awful season last year, so he'll have to show something this year in order to stick around.

I'm a bigger fan of Murray, although obviously it's too early to tell who is going to go higher. Murray is more experienced, more polished mechanically, and I love his competitiveness. Tyler Wilson was pretty successful last year as well but I'd like to see his footwork and mechanics improve before ranking him that high. Keep in mind that Wilson was playing in Bobby Petrino's spread offense with Joe Adams, Greg Childs, Cobi Hamilton, and Jarius Wright and threw for 3600 yards and 24 TD, while Aaron Murray did a lot of pro-style stuff and ended up throwing for 3100 and 35. Wilson's tools are appealing and he could certainly surpass Murray if he shows improvement in his second year as a starter, but I don't think he's earned a selection that high yet.

The talent of RT takes a huge drop off from round 1 to round 2. We are talking pro-bowler to average tackle drop off. Fluker can very well go 7. The DTs in rounds 2 and 3 are not that much less talented than the ones in round one. Star Lotulelei is nothing special really. He is not a difference maker. He will be an average DT at best and you talk like the bucs are a locked in top 10 pick. Dude, you have no idea where this team is going to be picking. Yeah, top 10 seems to be logical, but this season is anyone's game. Also the prospects will be chaning as well. Tyler Eiffert right now might not be a top 10, but is possible and expect guys like Star and Amerson to slide into the 2nd round. Really do not know what people see in them and there are some good corners that will be going top 10. Xavier Rhodes, Tyrann Mathieu, and Johnathan Banks.

redbills
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't know Sean Porter but Sam lb could be a need come next year if Kirk doesn't play well and Bradham isn't the answer.
Also if we pick 13 means Fitz sucked so QB would be high on the list.

cmd34
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
19. Dallas Cowboys - QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas
This mock does not receive the official cmd34 seal of approval.

Especially after reading this!?!

21. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia*

Abaddon
06-25-2012, 10:56 PM
10. Oakland Raiders – OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M*

A RT at #10 for a ZBS team seems highly unlikely.

Passrusher, CB, and TE appear to be our primary weaknesses. Any of the 3 would be ideal.

49erNation85
06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
A very solid sf pick !

vidae
07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
OT isn't a need for KC. Albert should be locked up long term, but if he isn't, we just drafted an OT in the third round this year. On the other side Winston is holding down RT so there really isn't a need for an OT.

bengalbuck
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I love the Bengals pick. All due respect to Sims90 but RB is the biggest need spot on the roster in my opinion and pretty much all the top guys in next year's draft have had injury issues at some point.