PDA

View Full Version : Berman to Call MNF on Opening Night

The_Dude
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/27/berman-heads-to-the-monday-night-booth/

Berman heads to the Monday night booth
Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT

Getty ImagesIt’s officially time to break out the Deux Deux Deuxs.

ESPN has announced that Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer will call the second game of the season-opening Monday Night Football doubleheader, when the Raiders host the Chargers.

The official announcement includes a “podcast” from Berman, who likely still thinks that term is a reference to the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, in which he explains how the decision came to be.

“Our president John Skipper, our executive V.P. of production John Wildhack, we were together, and midway through an interesting evening they said, ‘We’d like you to call the second Monday night game,’” Berman says.

“I went, ‘Now, wow. There’s something I never really thought about.’ Of course, I’ve thought about calling NFL games my whole life, but given what I do and Sunday duties, the normal ones, and it’s Week One of the season and you get your hands full and we’re all excited and we’re trying to do our best in the studio, etc. I didn’t see it coming.

“I said, ‘I gotta give you guys credit. So, you understand I haven’t called a football game in a while, although I’ve called many baseball games and U.S. Open golf, etc., etc. I was really surprised and excited about hearing it, to be honest with you. Really excited. It’s nice to be surprised after 32 years, it really is.”

This explanation implies that Berman had done no lobbying whatsoever for the gig. Which some people will believe, and plenty of people won’t.

To get ready for the regular-season assignment, Berman and Dilfer will handle the Titans-Cardinals game on August 23.

Per ESPN, Berman will host Sunday NFL Countdown on Week One, then fly to Oakland to prepare for the Monday night game. There’s no specific word yet on who will replace Berman for The Blitz, Berman’s SportsCenter-embedded review of game highlights with Tom Jackson.

And that’s perhaps the real news. For the first time in a quarter-century, someone other than Berman will get the opportunity to narrate the extended highlights packages from the games of the Sunday that was. To give up those reins, Berman must have really wanted to get in to the booth.

UPDATE 10:50 a.m. ET: ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer says that the host of The Blitz has not yet been determined. With Berman absent, Suzy Kolber will host Monday Night Countdown from Bristol.

:lynched:

Yuck. I hate Chris Berman & his antics. I just don't think that this is going to go well.

K Train
06-27-2012, 10:11 AM
theres much worse out there than berman

jrdrylie
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Chris Berman is a washed up ass hat and Dilfer just sucks. Add in San Diego and Oakland and this should be loads of fun!

RufusMcDaniel
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Can't Wait!

BeerBaron
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Dilfer irks me more. Smarmy know-it-all ass....ESPN shoves him into everything. I said when they booted Jaws from the booth that they were probably making room for Dilfer....maybe next season full time.

gpngc
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Growing up with NFL Primetime. I love Berman and his dur-dur-durs.

Nalej
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Pretty much how I feel.

vidae
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Chris Berman is annoying, but I can watch the games muted.

gpngc
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Pretty much how I feel.

The best was before the crawls, a million other channels showing scores, score alerts, so many game breaks with in-game highlights, NFL Primetime was the only way to find out about other games.

You'd wait for the game highlights and not know who won the game. That was awesome.

redbills
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Yep!!! Plus he likes B-lo.

FUNBUNCHER
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Berman is straight up garbage to do any real color commentary on an actual NFL game. Dilfer make seem arrogant, but he has real football knowledge IMO.
I hope Berman sticks strictly to the play by play and lets Dilfer break down the players/what just happened.

BeerBaron
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Berman is straight up garbage to do any real color commentary on an actual NFL game. Dilfer make seem arrogant, but he has real football knowledge IMO.
I hope Berman sticks strictly to the play by play and lets Dilfer break down the players/what just happened.

ESPN may want him to seem that way but he totes their line like a tool with his "analysis."

jrdrylie
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Does anybody remember a few years back when Berman did commentary for the Masters? It was an embarrassment.

BeerBaron
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Does anybody remember a few years back when Berman did commentary for the Masters? It was an embarrassment.

A bloated gasbag loudmouth commenting on an event that requires being quiet? How could that have possibly gone wrong?

ChiFan24
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
At least he's not calling a game involving good teams.

BeerBaron
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
At least he's not calling a game involving good teams.

Or one that 2/3 of the country will stay up watching.

JoeJoeBrown
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Berman is an arrogant asshat that was washed up 20 years ago.

They need to put his ass out to pasture.

Then, again, it's ESPN, which has devolved into complete garbage since becoming the 900lb gorilla of the sports world. They used to have some fantastic personalities and great analysts across many sports.

Now their only good analysts seem to be CBB guys. I used to love Jaws but the corporate hype machine seems to have sunk it's hooks into him as well.

They have shifted their focus to promoting their products with used car salesmen on TV and on the radio. And they have the deep pockets to buy almost all of the sports content that they want.

I only watch their stations now when there is a sporting event on.

Their onsite production crews are still some of the best, even their third tier camera teams are decent.

I just wish that they would axe almost all of their management and focus on delivering quality sports content, analysis, and especially reporting and not ******** hyperbole and highly compromised bias towards the leagues and teams that they have TV contracts with.

WCH
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Trent Dilfer makes me want to bang my head against a wall. The mute button was invented to protect us from people like him.

vikes_28
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree with all the people that say Berman is an arrogant asshole. I think there is a youtube video out there somewhere where he cusses at his producers for like 8 minutes straight. I'd post it now, but i'm at work.

should be interesting how this plays out.

Nikolas
06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Can't they just make a Holographic Howard Cosell to call games?

WCH
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I saw an ESPN segment last season where Trent Dilfer was lecturing Steve Young about QB play. Young was like...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-bO__8MyQXYY/TlksuirZmQI/AAAAAAAAEfA/3ZtQG2nqm1s/Silverman%252520meme%25255B7%25255D.jpg

JoeJoeBrown
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Can't they just make a Holographic Howard Cosell to call games?

PVScwog05Xw

Nikolas
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I call my goddaughter a little monkey all the time.

We're taking it back!

yodabear
06-29-2012, 02:57 AM
I actually like Berman doing highlights, he isn't bad and his **** is kinda entertaining. He should stick to that. His play by play makes me want to mute the television...

Ness
06-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Don't the Raiders always play the Chargers as the last game for week one? Seems like it's been that way the last five or six years...

jrdrylie
06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Don't the Raiders always play the Chargers as the last game for week one? Seems like it's been that way the last five or six years...

Yeah, they pretty much do. Since the game starts at 10:15 PM Eastern time, it pretty much has to be a West Coast Game. So it's either Oakland-San Diego or Settle-San Francisco. Which would you rather watch?

NGSeiler
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
ESPN has announced that Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer will call the second game of the season-opening Monday Night Football doubleheader, when the Raiders host the Chargers.

There is nothing in this sentence that even remotely interests me.

BloodBrother
06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I will make sure to not watch this

CashmoneyDrew
06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
I used to like Berman when I was younger. Now I'm just indifferent. I don't watch baseball or golf, so that limits my exposure to him.

I agree with all the people that say Berman is an arrogant asshole. I think there is a youtube video out there somewhere where he cusses at his producers for like 8 minutes straight. I'd post it now, but i'm at work.

I've had to put up with ****** producers/APs/teleprompter workers before, and honestly I've really had to hold myself back from cussing them out myself. The thing is when they mess up, you're the one that looks like a fool, not them. That's where the frustration comes from.

At the same time, I've actually kept my cool. But it's hilarious watching all of the blowups from famous people. I like to live vicariously through them.

_YL_
07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Ill be at the game but I like the idea.