PDA

View Full Version : Trade up? Down? Or stay were we are?

richdg
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
So, what is everyones feeling on this? Should we stay at 15, try to move up, or try to move down? We have 9 picks. All 9 are not going to be on the roster. Thoughts?

richdg
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Now, I will answer my own question. I always have been a believer in trying to get 5 day 1 picks. More if possible. In most drafts, there are 8-15 players that are great. Another 12-50 that are very good, then about another 50, that should have good careers. The rest are a crap shoot. This year is typical. There are 10-12 great players. But the difference between 13 and 75 is very small. It all depends on each teams needs. I would trade down, out of the 1st-for a second and third, then package our day 2 picks and try to get another 2/3 pick. That would give us 5 picks between 33 and 96, with the 2 comp picks on day 2. The only player that I would move up for ( and I would not go higher than 8th to get him) is Branch. But in general, I would move down from the first, and up from day 2.

Smooth Criminal
03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't want to be at 15. I don't think there is a talent worth us taking at 15. Our biggest needs would be reaches at that point so I'd gladly trade down into later round 1 or early round 2.

skarocksoi
03-31-2007, 10:08 AM
The only guy I would trade up for now is Gaines Adams. Other than that, I agree that a trade down is best. I dont know about trading out of the first, but trading down to somewhere in the 20's wouldn't be a poor idea. I feel that where we are in the draft could pidgeonhole us into taking someone we dont particularly want or reaching for someone else.

Hines
03-31-2007, 10:20 AM
i would trade up to get patrick willis along with gaines

but we r lookin at timmons so we will probably move down a lil bit and pick up an extra third or second round pick

PittPete
03-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Richdg and I always seem to think alike. I would stay at 15 to see if one of a few premier players drops to us(remember a guy named Roethlisberger that was supposed to go either 1 or 2?) and, if not, trade down. Also trading several later draft picks would be ideal too. getting 5 2nd and 3rd round picks would be an ideal draft for me. Most guys I'm interested in should be there through the middle of round 2. Last year, the two guys I wanted most were Lendale White and Winston Justice but I figured both would be gone by the middle of round 1; both went in round 2. I know neither had significant playing time last year but I would still scoop them up. I want to get a seriously tough o-lineman; Blalock, Grubbs, Martinez; two lbs; Poluszney, Shaw?; a db; there are a dozen cbs I like in this draft; and a rb; Hunt, Henry? and of course one of the premier punters.

skarocksoi
03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Richdg and I always seem to think alike.

You know, I've never seen you in the same place at the same time. Maybe it's just because you ARE ACTUALLY THE SAME PERSON!!!

But seriously, I think they would wait until a pick or two above where we were sitting to make sure there isn't someone slipping down the boards. If there isn't anyone worth the pick then we pull the trigger and try to make a trade.

richdg
03-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Just a couple of rumors that I have read over the past few days. Both were on Foxsports.net.
1. Keisel will be lossing weight and moved to OLB in a A. Thomas type of role.
2. The Cards are very interested in picking up Starks. One of the rumors is Starks + 15 to the Cards for 5.
If, and it is a big if, could Branch be the target?

PittPete
03-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Maybe we could trade Simmons and the 15 for a second round pick.

mikehop05
03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
i think gaines adams will be the target at 5... or possibly joe thomas if he falls

but i do know we liked branch at the combine

richdg
03-31-2007, 05:51 PM
With us keeping the 3-4, Keisel moving to OLB, the need would be a DE. Branch fits better than anyone else. If we were going to a 4-3 I think it would be Anderson. So who knows?!?!

mikehop05
03-31-2007, 07:27 PM
actually itd be nice to trade back from it, and get a late first this year, a second this year, and maybe a first/second next year

Steel Curtain XL
04-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd really like to trade up to get Gaines Adams But I also like Jarvis Moss and we can get Moss later if we traded down.

mikehop05
04-01-2007, 12:04 PM
i personally have never been a moss fan