PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

bearsfan_51
07-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Probably should get this thing started up again, eh?

I'll start this off with the month-old news that the Bears cut Nathan Enderle so that they could take Wisconsin-Whitewater's Matt Blanchard to camp as their 4th QB.

Shocking stuff.

jrdrylie
07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
A little bit more interesting, Michael Lombardi is saying the Bears are extremely close to a deal with Forte.

MidwayMonster31
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
The deal for Forte was 4 year/ $32 million.
The contract was very back-loaded, but he did get a healthy signing bonus and $4 million worth of incentives.
So now there's not a whole lot to worry about before training camp.

Docta
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
The Bears traded a 7th rounder to the Bucs for Brian Price. I guess they're not too fond of Paea.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
The Bears traded a 7th rounder to the Bucs for Brian Price. I guess they're not too fond of Paea.
It's hard to read anything into a 7th round pick. It could just be the Bucs didn't think Price fit into their plans anymore due to some of his emotional issues, and the Bears wanted to add depth. I don't think this says much of anything about Paea.

That said, I liked Price a lot coming out of UCLA, so I like the low-risk move.

Caddy
07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Good luck with Price. Dude just can't stay on the field. Then again, two surgically re-attached hamstrings will do that to you.

SFbear
07-29-2012, 12:57 AM
So apparently we tried to trade for Jeff Otah.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0729-bits-bears-chicago--20120729,0,5878482.story

Thought that was interesting.

dabears10
08-09-2012, 11:49 AM
First Preseason game tonight?

What is everyone looking out for?

I want to see how the rookies play, namely Jeffrey and McClellin, as well as way too excited for Brittan Golden.

I know the skill players will only play a series maybe two, but I wonder how long the line will play.

bearsfan_51
08-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I can't bring myself to watch a preseason game. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

Bearsfan123
08-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Ugh the O-line looked terrible. I think they lost 85% of the plays out there....

Docta
08-10-2012, 01:02 AM
The Bears didn't convert one 3rd down. The Broncos went 8/16.

Jimmy
08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
McClellin has looked ridiculous through three quarters. Props to you guys for getting what appears to be a future stud. Lets give him more than a pre-season game.. still... great start.

Also, Matt Blanchard looked GREAT tonight. Kid is fearless. If I had to bet on an NFC North QB buried on the depth chart becoming a decent starter, it would be him.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd be fine with us cutting McCown and letting him be the 3rd. Guys like McCown are just dead weight anyway. If we get to the point where he needs to play we're already done.

jrdrylie
08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I didn't think the offensive line was too terrible in pass protection. A few of the sacks were the cause of the QB holding the ball too long or receivers not getting open.

I hated the McClellin pick on draft night but he looked great last night. So quick and he has a great motor. I still worry about his size causing him to get swallowed up on some plays. But I hate the pick a little less than I did four months ago.

dabears10
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I didn't think the offensive line was too terrible in pass protection. A few of the sacks were the cause of the QB holding the ball too long or receivers not getting open.

I hated the McClellin pick on draft night but he looked great last night. So quick and he has a great motor. I still worry about his size causing him to get swallowed up on some plays. But I hate the pick a little less than I did four months ago.

He can have a Mark Anderson-lite rookie impact. I think the worry is if he will acquire a counter move to his speed rush. I could see a lot of sacks resulting from Peppers flushing the QB out.

MidwayMonster31
08-12-2012, 04:17 PM
As long as Shea can pick up those hustle tackles and make those kind of pursuit plays, he will have an impact on this team. Holding up at the point of attack is still an issue with him, but the good news is that he has adapted well to playing all over the field.

MidwayMonster31
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
So, until we draft a guy next year, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Chris Williams will be the left tackle this year.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-left-tackle-competition-heats-up-20120813,0,3494879.story

Bearsfan123
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Redskins game: Wow, what a difference from the week before. Still I'll make no judgments until next week is over. Positives abound in this game for the Bears though. Jay made crisp passes behind a much better performance from the O-line. Him and Marshall still have a good connection. The pass blocking and run blocking were amazingly improved from the week prior. The Receivers did good jobs running routes and getting open. Defensively we got after RG3 and besides a couple of running plays at the start, we held up well there too. Negatively: Jay did make two bad decisions. He threw into double coverage at Bennett and nearly was picked off when pressure got into his face. I didn't like what I saw out of the corners, especially Wilhite. They seemed to get beat a lot. Our ST coverage units need to improve, but I'll give Toub the benefit of the doubt. Overall tho, a very good game for the Bears.

Docta
08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
How has Kellen Davis done so far? I've been more focused on the o-line and other receivers. Don't even think I've seen him catch a pass in any of the 3 games.

MidwayMonster31
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
I think they were working on getting things going with the receivers a lot more, so I don't think Davis has done much receiving. I think they are keeping that under wraps, since he will make a great change-up.

Docta
09-04-2012, 11:22 AM
So who in the upcoming draft do you guys think could replace Urlacher? I'd love Te'o, but he's not too good in coverage. Skov or Ogletree are interesting though.

MidwayMonster31
09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
First round has to be Left tackle. I think James Brown might be able to develop into a starter, but the tackle crop is supposed to be stronger next year.
The revolving door safety might also be an issue. We really need Conte, Wright and Walters to step up this year.
As for linebacker, I can go with Ogletree. Skov might be best as a TED linebacker.

Docta
09-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't think they're going to waste an early pick on a safety. We'd be fine if it wasn't for Major Wright sucking, or all of them getting injured.

The MLB is what makes our D work, and I don't see them switching out of the Cover 2 anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be looking to convert another safety to LB.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2012, 11:36 PM
The MLB is what makes our D work, and I don't see them switching out of the Cover 2 anytime soon.
No it's not. Most Cover 2 defenses generally have totally unremarkable MLBs. It just happens that Urlacher was on the team when Lovie took over. The Tampa 2 is all about the defensive line; everything else is secondary.

Gay Ork Wang
09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Creating Pressure

Docta
09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Other teams using unremarkable LBs at MLB doesn't mean that having a remarkable one doesn't enchance the D. Replace Urlacher with Roach, and our D is subpar. Put Roach up against Graham/Gronk, and he'll get beat. We don't have an elite defensive line yet.

And I think that having Urlacher pushed Lovie to get the Bears job. He knew he'd be perfect for it.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Other teams using unremarkable LBs at MLB doesn't mean that having a remarkable one doesn't enchance the D.
You could say that about every position on the field. In this scheme, MLB is one of the least important positions to fill. It's essentially just a 3rd safety.

dabears10
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
All in all I don't think the Bears O-line was bad. The first couple of drives were terrible, but after that I thought Jay had plenty of time and the run blocking was better than most of the preseason. However, the Colts aren't really stocked with run stoppers.

jrdrylie
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I didn't get to watch much of the game. How did McClellin look?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Tim Jennings had a great game. As did the entire defense. Tackled well, pressured, and covered well.

Totally deflating how poor the offense played tonight. The offense line didn't block, Cutler made horrible decisions, receivers dropped everything, Forte didn't pass protect well.

It seemed the middle of the field was open for Forte as a receiver - yet Tice didn't take advantage of this. Frustrating.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I didn't get to watch much of the game. How did McClellin look?

He had a sack early where he just blew by Newhouse, but after that I don't recall hearing his name or seeing him much.

BeerBaron
09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Well that sucked. A road loss to a tough team on a short week isn't the worst thing in the world though. Hopefully the extra time can be used to work on the flaws on offense or something...

Blegh. At least we have no more Thursday night games.

Gay Ork Wang
09-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Are we dead?

D-Unit
09-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Are we dead?
C'mon guys! It's Cowboys week on MNF!

Gay Ork Wang
09-29-2012, 09:29 AM
It is depressing enough to see you guys play!

MidwayMonster31
09-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I have not posted in a while thanks to moving, but at least I get a nationally televised game.
Also, what is the word on Forte? We need him in the passing game to succeed in this one.

jrdrylie
10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I have not posted in a while thanks to moving, but at least I get a nationally televised game.
Also, what is the word on Forte? We need him in the passing game to succeed in this one.

I heard yesterday that he would likely play.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I love this defense

Docta
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5nReS6CMAI7fU2.jpg

AcheTen (Thumper)
10-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Could this defense possibly be better than the '06 unit? Maybe even the '85 unit?

BeerBaron
10-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Could this defense possibly be better than the '06 unit? Maybe even the '85 unit?

Fewest points allowed, tied for first in turnovers forced, multiple defensive scores...it's looking pretty damn good right now.

And Tillman is balling out of his mind these last 3 games. If JJ Watt wasn't a being a terminator, he'd have a shot at DPotY.

Gay Ork Wang
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I enjoy this defense way too much

Bearsfan123
10-23-2012, 02:45 PM
It is a very inspired defensive effort. And the D-line depth has been wonderful to watch. I love watching Peppers play, but I am thrilled that we have been able to get pressure with other players as well.

MidwayMonster31
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, so that Charles Tillman guy's kinda good.

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2012, 05:48 AM
He paid college by being a great stripper

Bearsfan123
11-11-2012, 08:58 PM
God this playcalling is so infuriating. Pass pass pass. WTF RUN THE DAMN BALL

footballinsider22
11-15-2012, 11:00 AM
I like the Shea pick. It was a little high for my liking but we need more speed off the edge. He can play the run and the pass pretty effectively, and we need a young gun to learn all he can before one of the greatest DE of all time decides to hang the cleats up. He has the raw tools, he just needs time and direction.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Can the Gabe Carimi experiment at RT end after the season? For the love of God he is awful in pass protection.. BEYOND awful.

Gay Ork Wang
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
everything is awful on this oline

regoob2
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
So Rachal just upped and quit the team after being benched. What a loser.

Bearsfan123
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Any chance we sign Rolando McClain once he is released?

Gay Ork Wang
11-30-2012, 05:46 AM
i really doubt it. he seems to be a liability in pass coverage and he has problems off the field

MidwayMonster31
12-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
So ugly...

Monomach
12-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Cutler, Marshall, and Gould were damned good all game. I didn't like going for it instead of taking the field goal in the first. Hated how conservative we were with a 4-point lead, too.

We had a big lead in time of possession before the defense let a rookie march 99 yards on them, though, so this one is all on the defense.

Kind of painful seeing Weems out there as the #2 wideout. I sure hope Jeffery is back next week. The offense won't ever get to the next level without someone who can be a legit threat other than Marshall.

jrdrylie
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Definitely a disappointing effort by the defense late in the game. After getting beat up by Kaep and Wilson, do you guys think they have an issue with scrambling QBs?

Babylon
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Definitely a disappointing effort by the defense late in the game. After getting beat up by Kaep and Wilson, do you guys think they have an issue with scrambling QBs?

They don't see a lot of it in their division for sure. There was a time when Urlacher and co. would make life pretty miserable for the Mike Vick's of the world but those days seem long gone.

Against QBs that want to get out of the pocket from the read option set you need to make sure your ends keep everything inside. The Bears didn't seem to subscribe to that theory.

BeerBaron
12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
0-3 against the Seahawks the last 3 years in the regular season. They're just a team that gives us annoying problems.

bearfan
12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
I am very skeptical about the Bears. We beat bad teams, most average teams but then struggle to win against teams that are considered good teams. Our defense has been great, but our offense consists of getting the ball to Marshall and Forte for the most part. I don't see us as a Super Bowl contender unless we either get really hot or really lucky.

BeerBaron
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I am very skeptical about the Bears. We beat bad teams, most average teams but then struggle to win against teams that are considered good teams. Our defense has been great, but our offense consists of getting the ball to Marshall and Forte for the most part. I don't see us as a Super Bowl contender unless we either get really hot or really lucky.

I've said before that I don't like our odds to go far in the playoffs. The reason is because we are so reliant on turnovers. Yes, we're great at forcing them, but quality teams (like those you face in the playoffs) tend to have gotten to that point by not turning the ball over often.

We've lost 3 of our last 4, and in those 3 losses, we played likely playoff teams in Houston, San Fran and Seattle. We got 2 against Houston, but we turned it over even more often. We forced none against San Fran, and then we forced one against Seattle.

So while we can easily abuse crap squads like half of the AFC South and our divisional opponents not from Wisconsin, we aren't going to face teams like that come playoff time.

It's why we need our offense to be able to put up points even when our defense isn't getting turnovers. And thus far this season, they've struggled to do that.

bearsfan_51
12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
*shrug*

The team is about exactly what I expected them to be this season. The most encouraging things are that:

1) Marshall seems to have a grip on his issues
2) The Packers have seriously declined

BeerBaron
12-03-2012, 09:36 AM
*shrug*

The team is about exactly what I expected them to be this season. The most encouraging things are that:

1) Marshall seems to have a grip on his issues
2) The Packers have seriously declined

Yeah, if you would have told me before the season that we'd be 8-4 after 12 games, I'd be happy with that.

In any given year of the last few, we seem to be about a .500 team who can be better if the ball bounces our way more often than not. And we stay healthy, Cutler in particular.

One of the biggest things we had going the year we made the NFC Championship game was that we stayed remarkably healthy that year. Last year, not so much.

Hurricane Ditka
12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Oh no, we suck again. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4)

MidwayMonster31
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
They can still go 2-1 given the schedule, but it's a lot less encouraging given Lovie's track record at the end of the season. Washington can still swipe the last spot from us if we're not careful, and Dallas is still in the conversation, but we have the tiebreaker over them. The Bears just need to win.

TitleTown088
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
One of the biggest things we had going the year we made the NFC Championship game was that we stayed remarkably healthy that year. Last year, not so much.

Oh Look, Bears fans complaining INJURIEZZZZ. Go figure.

/sarcasm.

;)

MidwayMonster31
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Getting my Pitchfork and Torch ready...

Gay Ork Wang
12-16-2012, 03:29 PM
**** the refs. **** Mike Tice. **** Injuries. Thats all.

bearfan
12-16-2012, 04:42 PM
At the end of the game down by 8 w/ about 25 seconds left, did anyone else notice the lack of urgency to get back to the line? It was a long shot, but I am pissed that we did not at least try to do anything and instead waited to 6 seconds left.

As talented as Jay is at QB, as terrible as our line is, I am starting to question whether he is the QB of the Future for us. He is a tough ******, but I don't know if he is the type of QB you build a team around. We have a better chance of winning when he is in the game, but is that enough? Has he made the players around him better (aside from OL because of his mobility?).

Just some thoughts.

regoob2
12-17-2012, 08:03 AM
At the end of the game down by 8 w/ about 25 seconds left, did anyone else notice the lack of urgency to get back to the line? It was a long shot, but I am pissed that we did not at least try to do anything and instead waited to 6 seconds left.

As talented as Jay is at QB, as terrible as our line is, I am starting to question whether he is the QB of the Future for us. He is a tough ******, but I don't know if he is the type of QB you build a team around. We have a better chance of winning when he is in the game, but is that enough? Has he made the players around him better (aside from OL because of his mobility?).

Just some thoughts.
Nobody was open with them dropping 9. He had to wait for the receivers to get back from 50 + yards down field.

Cutler is the QB to build around. We're not going to find anyone better then him. He needs help from the OL and from a real OC. He can't do it all.

bearfan
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
How about the frustration after the game from Marshall and Cutler?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8753174/brandon-marshall-reaction-chicago-bears-loss-understandable

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8755837/jay-cutler-chicago-bears-agrees-team-needs-accountability

I think it's pretty telling of the attitude in the locker room right now. Cutler and Marshall, both leaders, seem extremely down at the worst point in the season to be down. Hopefully they can bounce back next week.

TitleTown088
12-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Welp, is that acceptable?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/msn/mike_ditka_says_hes_a_green_bay_packers_fan/12471007

Gay Ork Wang
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
with the attitude everyone on this team has shown except Marshall? definitely.

Docta
12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.

MidwayMonster31
12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
**** (10 char)

jrdrylie
12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure he will be, but if Lovie is fired, what would you guys think of Andy Reid coming in here? I doubt it would happen because he would be too expensive and want too much control, but I think he would certainly be an interesting hire.

bearsfan_51
12-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Lovie isn't going to be fired. We just went 10-6, and this is the Chicago Bears. He's not going to be fired.

BeerBaron
12-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Let's hope. While I have my issues with Lovie, he's easily a top-half of the league type of head coach and I don't trust us to avoid a major downgrade.

dabears10
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Lovie isn't going to be fired. We just went 10-6, and this is the Chicago Bears. He's not going to be fired.

Well, maybe there is something changing at the top. Quickly the Bears have fired Lovie Smith.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears?campaign=Twitter_atl

Dan Pompeii reported it as well. I wonder who the Bears will interview. It would be interesting to go after Chip Kelly, but I still don't believe that his coaching style would be respected enough in the NFL and definitely not with the current veteran team we have. Unless we are going to have a yard sale of trades and rebuild that defense entirely.

bearsfan_51
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Ha. Well so much for that! Looks like the new GM wanted his own guy, because I don't see how you fire a guy for winning 10 games when you didn't fire him the season before for winning 8.

I'm with BB, I don't like it. Lovie is one of the better coaches in the league and his record bears that out.

bearsfan_51
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't want Chip Kelly, but I'd take a long look at Bill O'Brien

General Zod
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't want Chip Kelly, but I'd take a long look at Bill O'Brien

I think Bill O'Brien would be a great fit for you guys. I think Chip Kelly will fail in the NFL if he isnt way flexible with his system he'd try to install.

MidwayMonster31
12-31-2012, 11:24 AM
As great as Bill O'Brien would be, I cannot see him leaving Penn State that soon. Mike McCoy is supposedly at the top of the list.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/bears-ask-for-permission-to-interview-mike-mccoy/

BeerBaron
12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
As great as Bill O'Brien would be, I cannot see him leaving Penn State that soon. Mike McCoy is supposedly at the top of the list.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/bears-ask-for-permission-to-interview-mike-mccoy/

I called McCoy as a possibility last night...fits our bill of guys without former NFL head coaching experience. It'd be weird as hell to have an offensive minded head coach though...

And I wouldn't count out O'Brien. Word is floating around here that he could avoid the massive buyout in his contract if a clause about the NCAA sanctions is interpreted a certain way or something. I'll try to find an article because that explanation was terrible.

Monomach
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I thought this would happen without a playoff berth. I think Emery is going to aim for someone who's open to a 3-4 defense. I got called a conspiracy theorist for it last offseason, but I really think he drafted McClellin just in case he had a good excuse to bring in his own guy as head coach. He's going to be playing OLB next year.

dabears10
12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
I thought this would happen without a playoff berth. I think Emery is going to aim for someone who's open to a 3-4 defense. I got called a conspiracy theorist for it last offseason, but I really think he drafted McClellin just in case he had a good excuse to bring in his own guy as head coach. He's going to be playing OLB next year.

I think Peppers has already stated he didn't want to be a 3-4 OLB. But with Shea and Peppers as the OLB and Melton and Paea as the DEnd we are only missing the most important piece in Nose Tackle.

bearsfan_51
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
I think Peppers has already stated he didn't want to be a 3-4 OLB.
He's welcome to give the money back and try again in the free market.

My concern with the 3-4 is that it's overdone now. The demand for 3-4 athletes far outpaces the supply. You want to be ahead of the trend, not behind.

regoob2
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Peppers has already stated he didn't want to be a 3-4 OLB. But with Shea and Peppers as the OLB and Melton and Paea as the DEnd we are only missing the most important piece in Nose Tackle.
Peppers said he wanted to play in a 3-4.

I don't really care for this firing. I still feel we're a championship contender. I think it's more likely that we take a step back then take a step forward.

If we run a 1 gap we could have Paea play the nose. Melton and Wootton/Idonije at 5 techs. The problem is we need a lot of depth there.

dabears10
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Keith Armstrong interviewing for the job according to Michael C Wright. https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/285844802950537217

bearsfan_51
12-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Armstrong was with the Bears the first time Emery was. Don't like it.

Docta
12-31-2012, 04:06 PM
He's black. Gotta follow the Rooney Rule.

regoob2
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
He's black. Gotta follow the Rooney Rule.
I really hope some interviews a black janitor or homeless person just to make a mockery of this stupid rule.

bearsfan_51
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
I really hope some interviews a black janitor or homeless person just to make a mockery of this stupid rule.
Meh...I wish there was a better way to go about doing it, but the rule has had its intended effect of getting black coaches' names out there. Guys like Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Leslie Frazier have undoubtedly benefited from the rule.

Docta
12-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Bears received permission to interview Bucs OC Mike Sullivan.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5081/5341851844_9a51ebfa9b.jpg

BeerBaron
01-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Seems like we want an offensive minded guy with McCoy and Sullivan as top candidates. That'll be a first for my lifetime at least.

jrdrylie
01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Peppers said he wanted to play in a 3-4.

I don't really care for this firing. I still feel we're a championship contender. I think it's more likely that we take a step back then take a step forward.

If we run a 1 gap we could have Paea play the nose. Melton and Wootton/Idonije at 5 techs. The problem is we need a lot of depth there.

Do you think Peppers still has the speed to play OLB in a 3-4? I actually think at around 290, he wouldn't be bad staying at DE in a 3-4/

Monomach
01-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I listened to Embry's press conference. He said some stuff that made him sound intelligent, and some stuff that made him sound like a mouthbreather who calls into AM 670.

I liked that he explained how any new coach who wanted a 3-4 would have to convince him that we have the personnel to pull it off...because we really don't. On the other hand, that makes me continue to question the McClellin pick.

I liked that he hated on Kellen Davis and Mike Tice, even if he didn't mention Tice by name when doing it. Glad to know he can recognize how bad those two were. He mentioned that we weren't going after the middle of the field the way we need to in order to open other things up. He was probably talking about how Tice didn't use Forte in the passing game as much as we have in the past.

I HATED that he cherrypicked advanced stats and classic stats. He talked about how Jonathan Scott gave up no sacks, ignoring that he gave up a pile of disruptions. He switched over to QB disruptions for Carimi, but used it wrong. He equated Carimi's pass pro with that of someone who had a similar overall number of QB disruptions while playing a crapload more passing snaps. He even said that the other guy played way more passing snaps, but that it didn't matter because the bottom line was total disruptions. That was a huge facepalm moment. That's kind of like saying Matt Stafford was more accurate than Peyton Manning this year because he completed more passes.

edit: Should also point out that he spoke for almost an hour with a lot of detail and even explained how he thought things out. Pretty nice when compared to Jerry Angelo's smug smirk and meaningless answers.

Docta
01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Bears get permission to interview Joe DeCamillis, 'Boys ST coordinator. Emery did talk about getting someone who exerted energy.

EDIT: Turns out they both worked together in ATL for 3 years. This imbecile better not be interviewing just his friends.

regoob2
01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Meh...I wish there was a better way to go about doing it, but the rule has had its intended effect of getting black coaches' names out there. Guys like Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Leslie Frazier have undoubtedly benefited from the rule.
But why no rule for other races? Why isn't there a rule for white coaches?

regoob2
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Do you think Peppers still has the speed to play OLB in a 3-4? I actually think at around 290, he wouldn't be bad staying at DE in a 3-4/
Ya I do. He's still a great athlete.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Why isn't there a rule for white coaches?
Ugh...seriously? Because 99% of head coaches are already white. I can tell this conversation will go nowhere, so I'll nip it in the bud right now.

MidwayMonster31
01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
He's not just interviewing his friends. Mike McCoy and Mike Sullivan are not familiar with him. That said, I would actually be ok with DeCamilles. He has the experience, he has good accomplishments of getting a lot out of his players and he has shown very good leadership everywhere he was. The schemes he would run would be a question mark, however.

regoob2
01-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Ugh...seriously? Because 99% of head coaches are already white. I can tell this conversation will go nowhere, so I'll nip it in the bud right now.There should still be a rule for it. There shouldn't be a rule to help one race over another.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
There should still be a rule for it. There shouldn't be a rule to help one race over another.
The rule that helps white people is living in the United States of America. Seriously, you think it's just a massive coincidence that almost every single coach in the history of the NFL was white before this rule? That's not racial preference?

TG4f9zR5yzY

regoob2
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
The rule that helps white people is living in the United States of America. Seriously, you think it's just a massive coincidence that almost every single coach in the history of the NFL was white before this rule? That's not racial preference?

There are black coaches in the NFL. This is a new era of the NFL. I don't think there's a single team that would pass on a black coach if they felt he was the best man for the job.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2013, 10:21 PM
So it's just a coincidence that black coaches started to be hired after the rule was put in place?

regoob2
01-01-2013, 10:24 PM
So it's just a coincidence that black coaches started to be hired after the rule was put in place?
I'm pretty sure there were black head coaches before the rule was there.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm pretty sure there were black head coaches before the rule was there.
At the time the rule was put in place in 2003 there were two black head coaches, Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. In the 83 years of NFL football, there were 7 minorities head coaches in total. In the 9 years since, there have been 9 new minority NFL head coaches hired.

Maybe you could look this stuff up too, ya know.

Monomach
01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Bears get permission to interview Joe DeCamillis, 'Boys ST coordinator. Emery did talk about getting someone who exerted energy.

EDIT: Turns out they both worked together in ATL for 3 years. This imbecile better not be interviewing just his friends.

Every Cowboys fan I've asked about him offered to pitch in for his contract if it got him out of Dallas.

So...ugh.

Docta
01-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Bears are also asking to interview Packers OC Tom Clements. He was their QB coach before that for 6 years, so I'm sure Rodgers will miss him.

bearfan
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM
A little late, but I am happy Lovie is gone. He got his team to play for him, but we were going to be going no where with him and it was time for change. Was very surprised at the backlash from the players on the team to his firing.

Curious to see who we will hire. I am glad we're looking at offensive minded coaches, and I wonder if we'll look too at someone like Kyle Shanahan.

edit: any assistants you guys would like to keep? QB Coach Jeremy Bates and ST Dave Toub for me.

Monomach
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
edit: any assistants you guys would like to keep? QB Coach Jeremy Bates and ST Dave Toub for me.

I'd like to keep:

Marinelli
Bates
Toub
Byrd
Hoke
O'Dea
Phair

Of course, that's a pipe dream. A new coach is going to want his own guys.

BeerBaron
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I'd very much like to keep Toub, but I'm not getting my hopes up on anyone else. Hiring an offensive minded coach would be good for the defensive staff staying in place, but I'm not counting on it.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't understand how we're interviewing two special teams guys, but Toub doesn't seem to be getting serious consideration.

Monomach
01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Speaking of the special teams guys that we're interviewing...

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiBears/status/286293934966190080

edit: Today, Emery got in an interview with someone who hasn't been mentioned yet: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/carmichael-interviews-for-bears-job/ Now if this one gets hired, we might as well trade off Forte for whatever we can get, because we're going to be doing very much running.

bearfan
01-03-2013, 09:14 AM
As much as we love Dave toub, I can see why he may not get an interview. We are looking for wholesale changes and hiring a long term coach under Lovie would be the opposite of looking like the Bears are moving on.

BeerBaron
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/report-bears-request-interview-with-bruce-arians/

Add Bruce Arians to our list. I honestly wouldn't mind it that much as he did very well as an interim this year and his offenses really weren't that bad in Pittsburgh. They just weren't "Steelers football" enough to get the boneheads around here to change their ways. And the o-line woes there seemed to be due more to constant injury than not being addressed.

Monomach
01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/report-bears-request-interview-with-bruce-arians/

Add Bruce Arians to our list. I honestly wouldn't mind it that much as he did very well as an interim this year and his offenses really weren't that bad in Pittsburgh. They just weren't "Steelers football" enough to get the boneheads around here to change their ways. And the o-line woes there seemed to be due more to constant injury than not being addressed.

I'd say his offenses were really inconsistent. As far as scoring goes, the Stillers were 9th, 20th, 12th, 12th (with Ben missing 4 games for rape), and 21st. So, yes, "not that bad" would be about right. He had more weapons than we do, though. Well, unless Jeffery breaks out and plays every game like Week 17. If he does that, we're going to have the second-best WR tandem in the league and it won't much matter who our HC/OC is. I like that Arians knows how to use his TE, RB, and slot receiver to work the middle of the field. I can't find it anymore (curses!), but I had an article that showed a breakdown of Cutler's stats in his time in Chicago. His highest completion %, TD/INT ratio, and QB rating were all on passes 10-15 yards down the field between the hash marks or something like that. He had a higher completion % for that than he did for <5 yard dump-offs, even. Tice had some stretches in which he forgot that part of the field existed. If only we still had Greg Olsen!

But, yeah. I never did understand why Steelers fans would call him the worst OC in the league. He's obviously not that, and they were clearly winning with him. Can't fault him for QB development, either. He was Peyton's QB coach for his first three years. When he arrived in PIT, Big Ben took a step forward. Andrew Luck was good for a rookie with half of the offense being new to the team. Don't know whether he's responsible for all of that QB success, but he obviously isn't holding them back or anything.

Really, he's not one of my favorite choices, but I definitely wouldn't ***** if he got it (not that anyone cares). I'd be ok with him. My biggest concern is his age. Most of the guys we're looking at are 10-15 years younger and have a lot more energy for those 16 hour days of watching film, game planning, and assisting with skill player development (translation: working individually with Cutler).

I think Cutler's mobility, ability to throw on the run, and accuracy are all pretty close to Roethlisberger's and his arm is a fair amount stronger, so fitting him into that offense wouldn't be a problem.

Arians seems like someone who'd work out well if he kept Marinelli and didn't stick his nose into/bother the defense too much. If he could just keep us in the top 12 or so of the league in offense and we stayed top 10 in defense, we'd probably make the playoffs often.

MidwayMonster31
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Arians did a wonderful job in Indy getting the team to rally around Pagano and leading them to wins.. I would rather get a running scheme, as 40 pass attempts is the magic number for a loss. Arians did not have good running backs in Pittsburgh or Indy, so that could change.

BeerBaron
01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Arians did a wonderful job in Indy getting the team to rally around Pagano and leading them to wins.. I would rather get a running scheme, as 40 pass attempts is the magic number for a loss. Arians did not have good running backs in Pittsburgh or Indy, so that could change.

When Mendenhall was around and healthy for Arians, he put up a pair of 1000 yard seasons. That just wasn't too often though...

Out of all the names mentioned so far, Arians is probably the one I'd be "most ok" with. Wouldn't blow me away, but I wouldn't totally hate it either.

Monomach
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
He had decent backs in Pitt. Fast Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall were each good for a bit. The change of pace guys were always effective. As long as a back gets 4.0 YPC or more, he's not a problem.

I don't think anyone really wants a running scheme. We're not built to win with a running scheme. Take a look at the teams that won at least 10 games this year:

Falcons: 62% pass, 38% run
Colts: 59% pass, 41% run
Packers: 56% pass, 44% run
Ravens: 56% pass, 44% run
Bengals: 56% pass, 44% run
Broncos: 55% pass, 45% run
Patriots: 55% pass, 45% run
Texans: 52% pass, 48% run
Bears: 51% pass, 49% run
Vikings: 50% pass, 50% run
49ers: 47% pass, 53% run
Redskins: 46% pass, 54% run
Seahawks: 43% pass, 57% run

The two heaviest running teams, the Skins and Seachickens, can be immediately disregarded as special cases. They have scrambling QBs.

The Niners and Texans got where they are because they have shutdown defenses. The Vikings went 50/50 because they have no one at QB and one of the greatest running backs of all time...a RB much, much, much beyond the level of anyone we have.

The Bears have a turnover-based defense. By it's nature, it's too streaky to just play defense and run a lot to keep the clock moving. If you don't get a turnover, your defense is going to leak yards all the way down the field until the other team scores on your tired players. You need to get big passing plays to be competitive.

Perfect example: the Seattle game. Seattle went 54%/46% and we went 44%/56%. Cutler was very efficient, but we tried to be cute and play that "smashmouth" get-off-the-bus-running crap. We took him out of the game by running too much and got spanked when the Seahawks made an in-game adjustment from run-heavy to pass-heavy.

Judging from how things are going in the league, I think it's pretty clear that we need to get up more around that 55/45 split like the Broncos or Patriots. So, yes, while 59 or 60% like Koetter or Arians is maybe a little too crazy for me, it looks like they're still on the right track as compared to us. Really, though, McCoy is looking just about right...

bearsfan_51
01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8815994/chicago-bears-interview-montreal-alouettes-marc-trestman-sources-say

Ugh.......

Trestman is a Gopher alum who openly put his name out for the Gopher job a few years ago. Most of us thought it was a joke.

I'm not a big Emery fan so far. The CFL?

Gay Ork Wang
01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
i mean he has a connection with Jay i guess.

Monomach
01-05-2013, 11:28 PM
i mean he has a connection with Jay i guess.He just does s short little thing with some QBs who are coming out. It's not really a connection. On his own website, these are all of the draft QBs he lists:

Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler
Tim Tebow
Jimmy Clausen
Jay Cutler
Jason Campbell

Those are his successes. :puke:

Dear Mr. Emery,
_4e8iAofnrw

Monomach
01-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Took a while to find this, but I had to. I'd remembered him fellating Touchdown Jesus when he came out:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12980577/one-qb-guru-picks-pickedapart-tebow-to-be-bigtime-pro/rss

bearsfan_51
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-report-bears-list-grows-with-dennison-20130106,0,4441188.story

I could get behind this. At least he would be qualified to fix the offensive line.

Monomach
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-report-bears-list-grows-with-dennison-20130106,0,4441188.story

I could get behind this. At least he would be qualified to fix the offensive line.Yeah, he makes a ton of sense on paper. I'm really glad Emery's considering him. He'd probably keep Bates, too, which is a plus. Bates was his OA in 2006.

If I remember correctly, he was the run game coordinator when Bates was the passing game coordinator in 2008.

BeerBaron
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm not going to worry too much until we actually hire someone. There is no harm in casting a wide net. They might just be using it as an opportunity to interview some of these guys for other positions down the line as well. If one of these guys were to become available as a coordinator or position coach in the future, we would already have interview experience with them.

AcheTen (Thumper)
01-07-2013, 08:32 AM
How about Gus Bradley?

BeerBaron
01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
How about Gus Bradley?

I think he should get some consideration somewhere, but probably not from us.

Not only have we been interviewing almost entirely offensive coaches (with an odd special teamer thrown in) but I'm getting the idea that there is a trend towards making your head coach your defacto offensive coordinator as well.

I think GMs see it as less disruptive if the defensive coordinator is hired away, meanwhile, if you have an OC who is successful and he gets hired away as a head coach (like, for example, what might happen to the Bengals if Jay Gruden were to be hired) it's far more disruptive to the team.

Gay Ork Wang
01-08-2013, 07:33 AM
i read a report that the wide casting is similar what al davis used to do. Pick the minds of all sorts of people on how to fix the offense and Cutler without really wanting to hire everyone, just to get ideas.

I like that thought.

Monomach
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Just some fun 2012 Jay Cutler data:

-On Pass Attempts 1-10, Cutler is 55/106 for 530 yards, 5 TDs, 7 INTs, and a 58.8 Passer Rating.

-On Pass Attempts 11-20, Cutler is 94/144 for 1114 yards, 5 TDs, 4 INTs, and a 88.7 Passer Rating

-On Pass Attempts 21-30, Cutler is 66/108 for 838 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, and a 92.3 Passer Rating

-On Pass Attempts 31-40, Cutler is 17/32 for 300 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 116.7 Passer Rating

The more he threw, the better he got. Less rushing, please!

-Remember all of those times we got stuffed trying to get just 1 or 2 yards on the ground for a first down or TD this season? Jay Cutler had zero rushing attempts in those situations. Thanks for throwing out the QB sneak, Tice!

-On Cutler choking in the red zone:
Cutler was 25/47 for 189 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 102.7 Passer Rating.

Gay Ork Wang
01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
https://twitter.com/seankjensen/status/288654767020994560

Monomach
01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Nothing too exciting, but it's all interesting. Things read from beat reporters on twitter:

1) A current NFL head coach asked his team for permission to call Phil Emery to express his interest in the Bears job. He was denied. Sounds like someone's trying to get himself fired. I can't even imagine who this would be.
2) Jay Cutler likes Risk Dennison. Not like, more than anyone else in particular or anything. Just likes him. Exact words from Cutler: "Rico is one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL. Great guy off the field. Very, very smart. Intellectual guy. He’s going to get a head coaching job at some point. Great candidate. I have a lot of respect for him. I think he’s definitely a good candidate in there."
3) Emery's flying to Houston Friday to interview Dennison. Dennison supposedly really wants the job. He's still on the top of my list. O line guy who already has experience with Marshall and Cutler in a successful offense. Believes in zone blocking. History as a player, which helps with respect from the guys working for him. Endorsed by Cutler. Yes, please!
4) Emery has already interviewed two college coaches without any leaks to the media. Don't care.
5) One coach candidate turned down the Bears when they called looking to interview him. Gruden the elder? Shanahan the younger?

BeerBaron
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Current coach looking to get out...hmmm....

Toss out anyone in the division or any of the playoff caliber teams right off the bat I think.

Rex Ryan is a possibility but a stretch. Mike Mularkey maybe? He could be getting fired by the Jags new GM. No thanks to him anyway. Munchak similar to Mularkey. Dennis Allen perhaps for similar reasons as well. Could even be Jason Garrett. Ron Rivera wouldn't shock me either...

Probably someone from that list if it's not BS. No one I would want anyway.

Dennison is seeming more and more likely. Let's hope he can fix the damn o-line. A patient, balanced runner like Forte running in a scheme like the Texans could be phenomenal.

Docta
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Ron Rivera interviewed Dave Toub for their S/T coordinator position...

http://marriagemattersjackson.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/fist-pump-baby.jpg

BeerBaron
01-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Boo. Why would we get rid of him?

Docta
01-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Emery must not be too fond of him if he's interviewing 3 other ST coordinators, and Toub might feel a little disrespected.

Monomach
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Boo. Why would we get rid of him?

I don't think we are, necessarily. I dug a little deeper. Emery still hasn't released him from his contract the way some Panthers blogs are stating. He just gave permission when Rivera asked to interview him.

I think Emery is going to keep Toub around until the new HC decides whether he wants him. This interview was probably just to let him prepare a landing spot if the new head coach doesn't. Only fair with everything Toub's done for us.

I hope the new HC has enough sense to retain him.

BeerBaron
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't think we are, necessarily. I dug a little deeper. Emery still hasn't released him from his contract the way some Panthers blogs are stating. He just gave permission when Rivera asked to interview him.

I think Emery is going to keep Toub around until the new HC decides whether he wants him. This interview was probably just to let him prepare a landing spot if the new head coach doesn't. Only fair with everything Toub's done for us.

I hope the new HC has enough sense to retain him.

I do too, but don't underestimate the power of egos and friendships when it comes to coaches.

Monomach
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
In my dislike for Trestman's candidacy, I know I mentioned how much he talked up Tebow as a legit starting QB.

I just saw this (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2012/12/04/alouettes_jets_tebow_cfl_rights/). Turns out, he's not just talking. He really wants to put that man-love into practice. His team acquired the CFL negotiating rights to Tebow a few weeks ago.

I shudder to think of what that would mean with how little it would cost for the Jets to hand him over to the Bears if they went a-calling. They'd probably jump at a seventh round pick just to get rid of the headaches that come with him.

:freakout:

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2013, 06:49 AM
This is absolute bullcrap. There is absolutely NO WAY that emery wants someone that wants to implement Tebow. Just because the CFL wants him, and he maybe make sense there, doesnt mean he is going to take him for the bears.

Emery made a huge point in saying Cutler is the guy. Various people talked about how Trestman could be a good fit. He adapts extremely well to situations, not a lot of HC have succeeded from just simplying going to the CFL. It is a different game over there. And its not like he never worked in the NFL before.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8836100

I dont know if he is the best fit. Who knows? But to bash him so hard for such stupid things just seem like a Monomach move.
Would I enjoy Dennison? Probably. But Trestman doesnt seem like a horrible option.

regoob2
01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I have no problem with us signing Tebow if he's released. I think Cutler could use the push.

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I really dont want Tebow. It is a waste of money.

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2013, 03:48 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/290121495768870912

I like it

derza222
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Jets are apparently interviewing Jerry Angelo again for their GM vacancy. I had remembered his tenure in Chicago ending badly, but I see some mixed feelings on this board. Thoughts on him?

jrdrylie
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Jets are apparently interviewing Jerry Angelo again for their GM vacancy. If memory serves his tenure in Chicago ended quite badly. Any positives to having him as a GM or should I continue to expect to be disappointed with him being hired if that goes down?

You could certainly do worse but you could do better. Had he done better with his first round picks, he would have been more successful. But look at some of the guys he got outside of round 1.

Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Matt Forte, Earl Bennett, Henry Melton, and Major Wright. Unfortunately, his best first round picks (Greg Olsen and Cedric Benson) were soon shipped away.

Also, he had a record of picking special-teams only type players way to early. Sometimes is worked (Hester) but usually (Garrett Wolfe, Dan Bazuin, and Michael Okwo all in one year plus Craig Steltz) it was just a wasted pick.

bearsfan_51
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Also, he had a record of picking special-teams only type players way to early. Sometimes is worked (Hester) but usually (Garrett Wolfe, Dan Bazuin, and Michael Okwo all in one year plus Craig Steltz) it was just a wasted pick.
Wouldn't call Steltz a wasted pick at all. Solid backup, five seasons on the team, not a bad pick at all for the 4th round.

The rest, yes, though Bazuin wasn't a special teams pick as best as I can recall.

jrdrylie
01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't call Steltz a wasted pick at all. Solid backup, five seasons on the team, not a bad pick at all for the 4th round.

The rest, yes, though Bazuin wasn't a special teams pick as best as I can recall.

Steltz was 4th round? For some reason I though he was 2nd too. And you're right about Bazuin. He was never healthy enough or good enough to even play on special teams.

regoob2
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
In my mock I had us trading that 4th to move up to Buffalo's pick to jump Denver so we could get Clady. Boo

Monomach
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
This is absolute bullcrap. There is absolutely NO WAY that emery wants someone that wants to implement Tebow. Just because the CFL wants him, and he maybe make sense there, doesnt mean he is going to take him for the bears.

Emery made a huge point in saying Cutler is the guy. Various people talked about how Trestman could be a good fit. He adapts extremely well to situations, not a lot of HC have succeeded from just simplying going to the CFL. It is a different game over there. And its not like he never worked in the NFL before.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8836100

I dont know if he is the best fit. Who knows? But to bash him so hard for such stupid things just seem like a Monomach move.
Would I enjoy Dennison? Probably. But Trestman doesnt seem like a horrible option.
The CFL rules are a much worse fit for Tebow than the NFL rules. The unlimited number of pre-snap men in motion basically shows everything about the defense. That's wasted on Tebow. The slot backs' pre-snap forward motion "running start" means that they're working the middle at the same time that an NFL receiver is turning around to catch a short screen. With Tebow's accuracy, he'd be throwing 4 picks per game trying to hit them in traffic.

The CFL benefits fast-working, extremely accurate, mid-range pocket passers. Makes them look like hall of famers. Think Chad Pennington, not Tim Tebow.

Now there's this (http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/1/14/3875412/marc-trestman-buyer-beware-a-view-from-a-montreal-alouettes-season). Don't know anything about the source, but he doesn't sound like a meathead.

But, seriously...the single most damning thing about Trestman; the thing that's made him a joke in my eyes for the past decade, is that when the Oakland Raiders lost the 2002 Superbowl, Rich Gannon threw five picks.

The story broke ahortly afterward that he threw all those picks because the Raiders were using a script of plays to call in certain situations. That script was implemented before by Jon Gruden, the guy who wrote it. Marc Trestman is such a genius that he called the exact same plays in the exact same situations that Gruden had before him. Gruden knew which plays Trestman was calling before they'd even been called into the Oakland huddle and his D players already knew them because Oakland hadn't changed that all year. Gruden played Gannon in practice and showed them exactly how each play broke down.

The student tried to beat the master by doing absolutely nothing new, and failed miserably.

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Yea thats like more than a decade ago.

also:

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/290983941496770560

Monomach
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Yea thats like more than a decade ago.
So was the last success he's had in the NFL.
also:

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/290983941496770560That is...wow.

I guess Emery really liked how his 2009 looked.

edit: I mean...it does make some sense when you think about it. The Favre and Cutler similarities are pretty obvious. I am...ambivalent?

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2013, 07:29 PM
"Bears will meet again with Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell and Montreal HC Marc Trestman, first 2 candidates to be identified as Bears finalists."

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/290988651784048641

asdf1223
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm mixed about Bevell really. I really like him as a playcaller, has done a ton with QB development and pretty much brought in a brand new wrinkle middle of the season and dynamically changed the offense.

But at the same time, he's not involved in the design of the offense(Carroll and Cable have the most input), he gets way too cute sometimes. I don't think he's ready to be a HC yet and if he is he needs a out of the ballpark hire for Defensive Co-ordinator. I'll miss him in Seattle but I am slightly skeptical of his success even if I root for him.

Monomach
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Bears coaching rumors: Bruce Arians also a finalist (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/14/3877464/bears-coaching-rumors-bruce-arians-finalist)

Help us, Arians Kenobi! You're our only hope!

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I really dont understand how Arians is any better. Those Steeler Offense were not great and Big Ben was continuously under pressure. People never went: WOW, that steelers offense is winning them the Superbowl!

Monomach
01-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I really dont understand how Arians is any better. Those Steeler Offense were not great and Big Ben was continuously under pressure. People never went: WOW, that steelers offense is winning them the Superbowl!
He's had success with his own NFL offense, and he's been successful recently, not a hundred years ago.

The Steelers offenses were fine. If we'd had those offenses this year, we'd still be playing.

Docta
01-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Toub is reportedly leaving the Bears. Likely headed to the Chiefs..

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m306dx8lsT1rp4i6ho1_r1_400.gif

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
I really think you guys are really overreacting to the thought of trestman.

I mean we are potentially hiring him as a HC not an OC. It is important to consider his abilities as a leader, teacher of the game, and game planner, not just as an offensive mind. And that doesnt matter if he was in the NFL or CFL. He showed he can lead a team.

Hopefully we will hire a great OC to help him with his offense. Also, his reputation with working with QBs in the NFL is unparalleled. He made Rich Gannon MVP.

MidwayMonster31
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
At least Trestman has successful experiences as a HC. You can't really say the same thing about Bevell or Arians. I just want a coach who is willing to make good adjustments on what isn't working and pay attention to what is working.
The biggest problem that Trestman will have (if he gets chosen) is to get re-acclimated to the NFL rules and systems that other teams use.

jrdrylie
01-15-2013, 10:02 AM
At least Trestman has successful experiences as a HC. You can't really say the same thing about Bevell or Arians. I just want a coach who is willing to make good adjustments on what isn't working and pay attention to what is working.
The biggest problem that Trestman will have (if he gets chosen) is to get re-acclimated to the NFL rules and systems that other teams use.

Arians did do a heck of a job for the Colts this year.

Docta
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Does it help that he is somewhat in the Bill Walsh coaching tree?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marc_trestman/08/21/trestman.walsh.draft/index.html

Steve Young even said he'd put him up there with Shanahan and Holmgren as far as offensive minds go.

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Basically everyone who has ever worked with him has said that he is the smartest man in the room. Just look at how Gannon was talking about that guy. Does it make you a successful coach? No. But it can help.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
I really think you guys are really overreacting to the thought of trestman.

I mean we are potentially hiring him as a HC not an OC. It is important to consider his abilities as a leader, teacher of the game, and game planner, not just as an offensive mind. And that doesnt matter if he was in the NFL or CFL. He showed he can lead a team.

Hopefully we will hire a great OC to help him with his offense. Also, his reputation with working with QBs in the NFL is unparalleled. He made Rich Gannon MVP.

This almost never happens when an O or D coordinator takes a head coaching job. They always appoint one of their lackeys so that they have micromanaged control over the side of the ball that they know. This is actually a good thing, as it ensures continuity in the system when those lackeys are hired away to be head coaches if they're successful. Good examples are seen in how Walsh, Shanny, Reid, or Holmgren kept losing O coordinators but never really made a change to their offenses. Belicheck is a rare dude in that he micromanages both sides. He constantly loses coordinators, but since it's all his stuff, it never matters.

According to that article from Windy City Gridiron, in the CFL, Trestman showed problems with hiring D and ST coordinators. Sounds like he intentionally picked guys who weren't the strongest available because he was afraid he couldn't control better candidates.

I'm still missing his successes in working with QBs...? His pro QB resume starts in 1987:

1987 Buccaneers QB Coach: An ancient, mediocre veteran with a mediocre year in Steve DeBerg and the #1 overall pick in Vinny Testaverde who had a crappy but long career. Can't give him credit or blame for Steve DeBerg. He was an old dude he had for a single year who didn't need developing and didn't play particularly above or below his norm. Testaverde started the final 4 games, but he played like crap and the Bucs lost all of them. Testaverde didn't have a decent year until 9 years later in 1995.

1988 Browns QB Coach: Bernie Kosar had an ok partial season, but even if you project what he did into a full 16 games, it wasn't as good as his previous two seasons. It wasn't way, way worse or anything, so this season's another wash. Because of Kosar only playing a partial season, the Browns offense went from 3rd to 20th in a 28 team league.

1989 Browns OC: Bernie Kosar and the Browns offense were around the middle of the league (14th of 28), but Kosar was much less efficient than he'd been in previous seasons. The Browns rode the 4th best defense in the league all the way to the AFC championship game. For reference, the best season of Kosar's career was 1987 before Trestman came to Cleveland. Kosar had a very short period of his career in which he was fairly successful. He was accurate in the short game, but not so much going past 15 yards. He had a bad sidearm throwing motion (his college QB coach who didn't break him of that? Trestman). He's a legend in Cleveland because they threw the ball a lot for a short period and the Browns have had terrible QBs since. Anyway...Trestman was fired after the season for not being able to get the offense back to the success they had prior to Trestman coming to town (5th in 86, 3rd in 87).

1990 Vikings QB Coach: A young and terrible Rich Gannon having himself a pick-fest.

1991 Vikings QB Coach: A young and mediocre game managing Rich Gannon. They had to change the offense to shorter passes to reduce his turnovers. Rich Gannon would remain bad for 8 more years following this.

1992-1994: Unable to find a job in NFL or college football, he sold municipal bonds.

1995 49ers OC & QB coach: Trestman is hired as a caretaker for an offensive system that had been among the best in the league since 1981. They were #1 for 3 straight years before Trestman arrived and had the most stacked offensive side of the ball in the league. Steve Young, the most effieicent passer in the league for four seasons prior to this, had his worst season as the 49ers starter as the team had him throwing shorter and shorter passes. Youngs YPA dropped a staggering yard and a half. His QB rating took a 20 point hit. The offense continues to be good, anyway.

1996 49ers OC & QB coach: The shorter passes continued and Steve Young had his second-worst season as the 49ers starter. Offense is still stacked, so they're still damned good. Head Coach George Seifert retires at the end of the season. New coach Steve Mariucci elects to not retain Trestman. Marty Morningwheg gets his first coordinator job in the following season and the deeper passes return. Steve Young becomes more efficient, gaining a yard per attempt and 7 points in passer rating.

1997 Lions QB Coach: Unable to get a coordinator job, Trestman moves on to become the QB coach of the Vikings. Veteran Scott Mitchell has a decent season. Not remotely as good as he was two years prior when he set a bunch of Lions team records, but hey...it's Scott freaking Mitchell. Mitchell shits the bed in the playoffs. This is basically another dead year in Trestman's career where he had chicken **** and didn't manage to make chicken salad out of it or anything.

1998 Cardinals OC & QB Coach: Vince Tobin remembers that Trestman exists and gives him an OC job. The QB is Jake Plummer, who, as we all know, sucks pretty bad. The Cardinals chuck the **** out of the ball. Plummer throws more picks than TDs, has a terrible YPA, and one of the worst passer ratings in the league. The offense finishes in the middle of the league and the team has one of the luckiest seasons in history; they outperform their expected win/loss of 6-10 to go 9-7. Plummer has a crappy game in the WC round, but the defense holds the Cowboys to 7 points and the Cards move on to walk into a buzzsaw...the famous 1998 Vikings team. Plummer plays like crap again and the Vikings offense does nasty things to the Cards. Predictably, the Cards get blown out.

1999 Cardinals OC & QB Coach: The Cardinals start off chucking the ball again. Luck catches up with them and Plummer has by far the worst year of his career and the offense drops all the way down to 30th out of 31.

2000 Cardinals OC & QB coach: Another terrible year from Plummer and the Cards finish at the bottom of the league in offense again (29th of 31). Ownership cleans house. Trestman is of course not brought back after the season. Plummer makes his way to Denver where Shanny does what Trestman couldn't and make Plummer look average.

2001 Raiders QB Coach: Rich Gannon, who had already been turned into a real-life elite QB by Jon Gruden two years earlier, continues to be good. Yes, despite the credit for Gannon that Trestman somehow gets, Gruden had gotten it done while Trestman was still at the helm of a putrid Cardinals offense. His play is essentially the same as the year before, when Trestman was still in Arizona. The Raiders offense pretty much rolls over people.

2002 Raiders OC: Al Davis knows Gruden is about to cost him some serious money, so he's traded away for two first and two second round picks. The new HC is Callahan, Gruden's OC. Trestman moves up into Callahan's old job. The offense continues to roll; the only difference is that Trestman calls a buttload more passing plays, with Gannon leading the league in attempts. Trestman uses the same playcalling script all year that Gruden designed when he built the offense and installed the system. Gruden notices this and teaches Oakland's plays to his new defense in Tampa. Trestman uses the script in the Super Bowl, so Gruden knows the Oakland offensive plays before they happen. Gannon has one of the worst playoff QB performances ever and the Raiders get rolled HARD.

2003 Raiders OC: Rich Gannon has a terrible half of a season before getting injured. The offense is among the worst in the league, even prior to his injury. Al Davis fires everyone. No one is willing to give Trestman another OC job, so he moves on to...

2004 Dolphins QB coach: Here we have another year where Trestman just has terrible QBs and does nothing with them. The offense is terrible, the QBs are terrible, everything is terrible. The head coach is fired along with everyone else, including Trestman. Trestman is offered no coordinator jobs. He is offered a couple of QB coach jobs with teams that have terrible QBs. After his recent experience with that, he declines and goes to be the OC at North Carolina State.

2005-2006: Trestman's out of the NFL as the NC State OC. As far as college jobs go, it's a dead-end. Team sucks, as always. Everyone's fired after the usual sucking in 2006, including Trestman.

2007: Yet again unable to find an NFL job, Trestman goes back to selling municipal bonds.

2008-present: The mythical land called "Canadia" or something...coaching something that only kinda-sorta resembles American football, where every team runs Cover 2 because it's the only thing that does anything at all with the lopsided gimmick offense-favoring rules. The 36-year old QB does not need developing, since he's already been in the league since 1994 and has been successful since 1999. Trestman knows that he won't be taken seriously for what he does in Canada even though he's won the grey cup, so he begs the Minny Golden Gophers to let him be HC. Everyone laughs hysterically and says "that's so cute." He has a good interview with Phil Emery because he's a smart guy, so now...who knows?

Then we have his "QB consulting." His list of successes are all considered failures, so there's that.

The man's reputation as some kind of QB genius comes from taking over two offenses that already had successful veteran QBs before getting fired from both jobs...? Obviously, I'm not sold.

Arians has successful NFL HC experience. He's probably going to be coach of the year.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Marc Trestman is basically the Maurkice Pouncey of coaches. A million years ago, he walked into that cushy 49ers job and people just started saying that he was good because he was along for the ride. People have continued saying it ever since despite his sub-par results, multiple firings, and repeated inability to get an NFL OC or HC job. Just like Pouncey. The guy's always been a middle-of-the-road center, but when he was drafted, people just sort of decided that he's already the best center in the AFC.

I don't doubt that Trestman's a very smart guy. I even like that a lot...but being a goddamned genius doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be successful:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1229/nfl_u_martz_mb_576.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Look at me, Im Monomach and i like to question every move and overreact more than a 13 year old girl over a pimple.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Look at me, Im Monomach and i like to question every move and overreact more than a 13 year old girl over a pimple.

Look at me, I'm *** Ork Wang. I like to make sweeping generalizations about things with zero evidential support while making fun of anyone who writes a post containing factual data that runs counter to what I lazily assumed!

regoob2
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Trestman seems like a really good candidate. Everyone is saying good things about him.

dabears10
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM

Both Gannon and Steve Young have nothing but rave reviews on the guy. Most people in the NFL have very positive views on his ability as an offensive mind. Most question his ability to lead a locker room. It seems he was able to do that in the CFL, but the NFL is a completely different game.

I am fine with any of the choices but always prefer the younger guys, I think Trestman and Arians are too old to be a Head Coach for any longer than 5 years. I would like to have long tenured head coaches.

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
You pretend like hiring Trestman is like us going out on the street and giving it to the next best hobo. They had an interview for over 8 hours. You really think if he had no idea what he was talking about he could talk that long?

Mike McCarthy was ******* horrible as the OC. And look how that worked out. Every player and coach that has worked with him is raving about him. You are the only one bad mouthing everthing he is done.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Still waiting for someone to name a QB that this supposed "QB guru" successfully developed. You know, someone who wasn't a veteran with success before he got them.

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes, Steve Young and Rich Gannon both said he was incredible to work with, but apparently that doesnt count cause they have no idea.

I can live with the argument, that you want someone young but id rather have good 5 years than average or bad 10 years

Monomach
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
You pretend like hiring Trestman is like us going out on the street and giving it to the next best hobo. They had an interview for over 8 hours. You really think if he had no idea what he was talking about he could talk that long?Yeah, he's intelligent and interviews well. If that translated to success, we'd still have Mike Martz.

Mike McCarthy was ******* horrible as the OC. And look how that worked out. Every player and coach that has worked with him is raving about him. You are the only one bad mouthing everthing he is done.
LOL. Here we compare Trestman walking into a team with hall of fame talent on offense, including Steve Young (who had his two worst years as the SF starter in Trestman's only two years coordinating him) with a guy walking into a broken-down horrorshow with a rookie Alex Smith.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Still waiting for someone to name a QB that this supposed "QB guru" successfully developed. You know, someone who wasn't a veteran with success before he got them.

^Still this.

Doesn't matter that Steve Young liked him. Steve Young was better both before and after Trestman than he wast with him.

Doesn't matter that Rich Gannon liked him. Gannon was garbage the first time Trestman had him and had already been developed by Job Gruden the second time Trestman got him.

Our offensive players said they loved Mike Tice, too. Does that mean Mike Tice is a good coordinator?

Marc Trestman has successfully developed zero NFL QBs or offenses. He has, however, been fired a number of times for having crappy offenses or for having good ones that he inherited go bad.

dabears10
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM

When you use exactly contrasting arguments with Steve Young and Rich Gannon it gets to be a little over the top.

They threw more when Trestman was calling plays but they also increased their YPA and completion %. Gannon also increased his QB rating under Trestman.

Now you say it's because of all the extra passes Gannon threw. Well you were against all the stats for Steve Young, even though when they dropped in passing from 95 to 96. It might be that he would be calling a different game depending on his personnel or something?

I am willing to take the vote of confidence given by the players that worked with him rather than critiquing his ability to get very good results out of these players. I am not as smart and Emery or any of these coaches. I am not going to pretend like I am.

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Mike Martz was hired cause:

a. Lovie wanted him.
b. Angelo was still there.
c. Was OC so all that mattered was his system.

No **** im comparing Trestman and McCarthy. You are saying Trestman is horrible cause when he had success with the teams, the teams were loaded and on other teams he was bad. McCarthy wasnt a great coordinator but still ended up being a great HC.

If you read the article he wrote about Bill Walsh, you can see that that man is eager to learn. EVERYONE I have heard so far that has worked with him is praising him. That to me is much more important than what you think. Players liked him. This is something you need in a HC especially in a veteran lockerroom that just lost their "beloved" HC.

Monomach
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
When you use exactly contrasting arguments with Steve Young and Rich Gannon it gets to be a little over the top.

They threw more when Trestman was calling plays but they also increased their YPA and completion %. Gannon also increased his QB rating under Trestman. No, Steve Young's completion %, YPA, and QB rating all took big hits under Trestman's playcalling. Gannon's completion % and passer rating each went up a whopping 1.8 points. I'll grant you the increased 0.6 YPA, but that's all he had better than before.

Now you say it's because of all the extra passes Gannon threw. Well you were against all the stats for Steve Young, even though when they dropped in passing from 95 to 96. It might be that he would be calling a different game depending on his personnel or something?
Yes, Gannon's giant jump in yards was directly a result of throwing more. He wasn't throwing significantly more effectively than he had the three years prior. Steve Young had the same personnel from before Trestman when Trestman's started calling shorter plays for no reason.

I am willing to take the vote of confidence given by the players that worked with him rather than critiquing his ability to get very good results out of these players. I am not as smart and Emery or any of these coaches. I am not going to pretend like I am.

Players heap undeserved praise on bad coaches all the time. No one ever says "Oh, my old coach? He sucks. He'd be a terrible hire."

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
I love all this. Statistical pissing contests abound around here. Even though everyone says something they think is true enough then someone opposes it and they both run to the record books to find a couple stats that can be applied to whatever inane argument you're having with another (non!) know-it-all.

The only way to judge a persons play calling is in game with all the knowledge of the team, injuries, players, score, time of regulation, weather, everything. Game day bucket go boom.

dabears10
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Players heap undeserved praise on bad coaches all the time. No one ever says "Oh, my old coach? He sucks. He'd be a terrible hire."

They also don't have to go out of their way to heap praise on him. It is easy to say he is a good coach and I enjoyed my time with them. They have instead said that he is not an offensive coordinator, he is a Head Coach. He is a gifted offensive mind, etc, etc.

It's not like Bruce Arians has some sort of dazzling resume. Was a QB coach with the Colts for Peyton's first two years. He used Manning's success to get an OC job with Cleveland and Tim Couch. He was unable to have success with a poor team and became a WR coach with the Steelers. He became the OC when Tomlin took over and led the team to middle of the road offensive stats.

Of course he did a good job in a tough spot with the Colts where he had a very talented QB and play makers. However, he also has had health issues and is 60 years old.

regoob2
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
No, Steve Young's completion %, YPA, and QB rating all took big hits under Trestman's playcalling. Gannon's completion % and passer rating each went up a whopping 1.8 points. I'll grant you the increased 0.6 YPA, but that's all he had better than before.

Yes, Gannon's giant jump in yards was directly a result of throwing more. He wasn't throwing significantly more effectively than he had the three years prior. Steve Young had the same personnel from before Trestman when Trestman's started calling shorter plays for no reason.

Who do you feel is good enough for the job?

Monomach
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Who do you feel is good enough for the job?

Of the people we've been connected to, my top tier right now would be Dennison, Clements, Sullivan. One of these would make me happy.

Tier two would be Arians. I'd be like "yeah, ok, whatever, Emery" if he was announced as the guy. He doesn't excite me one bit and I don't think there's a chance he'd make us a superpower, but I do think he's a boring and steady average type of guy we'd have a chance to win a super bowl with...kind of a "safe" pick.

Tier three is Bevell, Carmichael, Toub. With any of these, I'd have reservations, but I'd be more or less ambivalent and accepting of them as longshots who could pay off.

Tier four is Trestman, Priefer, DeCamillis, Armstrong. These would infuriate me.

Tier five is Mike Singletary. This would put me in full-blown start-ignoring-football mode.

McCoy would have been in tier two, but he's not available any more. Re-hiring Lovie would be above Tier 4 for me.

thetedginnshow
01-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Congrats! You're going with Tier Four! (Personally, I think it could be a fine choice.)

Monomach
01-16-2013, 02:29 AM

I miss Lovie now.

Bring back Jerry Angelo.

Gay Ork Wang
01-16-2013, 03:47 AM
In Emery we Trest.

dabears10
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Alright, we will see how Trestman does. I always enjoy the out of the box thinking and this hire is definitely that.

BeerBaron
01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Just posted in the coaching change thread that Rod Marinelli and the defensive staff is expected to remain, as is Jeremy Bates as QB coach.

Gay Ork Wang
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/1/16/3880480/marc-trestman-chicago-bears-head-coach-introduction-search-update

jrdrylie
01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Anyone know much about Kromer? How good of a o-line coach is he? It doesn't really matter if we don't improve the talent on our line though.

BeerBaron
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Anyone know much about Kromer? How good of a o-line coach is he? It doesn't really matter if we don't improve the talent on our line though.

The Saints o-line seemed to get the job done well enough. Had two pro bowl caliber guards...hard to tell how much of that was just those guys being talented and how much of it was development though.

Saints LT Jermon Bushrod will be a free agent this year as well. I wonder if we'll target him with Kromer now on the staff. It'd be very difficult for him to not be an immediate upgrade at LT over Webb.

jrdrylie
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
The Saints o-line seemed to get the job done well enough. Had two pro bowl caliber guards...hard to tell how much of that was just those guys being talented and how much of it was development though.

Saints LT Jermon Bushrod will be a free agent this year as well. I wonder if we'll target him with Kromer now on the staff. It'd be very difficult for him to not be an immediate upgrade at LT over Webb.

The Bears have about 13 million in cap space (more if they can redo a few deals like Cutler or Marshall) so hopefully Emery spends some on the offensive line in free agency. Sign a tackle then drafting a guard would be fine with me.

Monomach
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Bushrod was almost exactly average this year, but he has tremendous name recognition. I think it's just one of those situations in which a guy gets an inexplicably outsized contract. His contract could end up having one of the worst money-to-performance ratios of this offseason's free agents. I hope Kromer doesn't convince Emery to get him.

This season's left tackle market is really top-heavy in brand value. The good ones who are available are almost all "names." It'll be tough fitting a Clady, Albert, or Beatty into our cap space. Sam Baker had a fantastic year, but his history is shaky. Bushrod and Jake Long were both right around average but their reputations are disproportionate to their recent play. I'm a bargain shopper. The only guy I see who performed at an average or better level and is a relative unknown is King Dunlap. He was very, very good last season filling in for 838 snaps for an injured Jason Peters. If Peters returns, Philly will likely elect to lowball him with a backup contract. If we can't get Dunlap...well, Webb was pretty bad, but he's no longer a bottom-10 tackle, so at least there's that. We had bigger problems on the line. We could possibly scrape by one more year here if we absolutely have to.

Might as well look at the rest of the offensive line while I'm at it.

At left guard, the guys who'll be expensive are Andy Levitre (awesome) and Louis Vazquez (really good, but really a RG who just has a bunch of college LG experience). I see three potential bargains, though. There's Donald Thomas, who was excellent for New England when Mankins was injured (614 snaps). Matt Slauson is perfectly average and the Jets are in an incredible cap hell, so he'll probably hit the market. Ramon Foster played at about the same level as Slauson in Pittsburgh. This position is bargain city and one of our black holes.

At Center, the good young ones are all RFAs. Their teams know they're good. They'll match the contracts. If we could get a good ancient guy in McClure or Koppen on a cheap one year contract, that's great, but I think they're going to get bigger money than we can fit in. The best option I can see here is to go ahead and take Barrett Jones at #20.

At RG, the market kind of sucks. I know everyone loves Lance Louis. He was slightly below average, which looks god-like on our line. I'd have no problem signing him for a pittance, but what I read a couple of days ago is that he may not be ready for training camp. I'd hold off on that decision until he's cleared to play. I would go with Carimi here. His pass blocking at guard was a lot better than it was at tackle. His run blocking at both positions was among the best in the league. This pretty much the only spot on the line where circumstances line up for us to save money.

At RT, Phil Emery was dead wrong about what he said regarding Jonathan Scott. You can't just point to his number of sacks and claim he's a good tackle. He gave up a ton of pressures. His pass blocking was a little better than Carimi's, but it was still atrocious. His run blocking was practically nonexistent. I'd let him walk in free agency. RTs available this year are Andre Smith, Gosder Cherilus, Sebastian Vollmer, Phil Loadholt, Ryan Harris, Barry Richardson, and Winston Justice. Smith and Vollmer are going to cost. Cherilus may be undervalued because he built up a reputation as a bust before turning things around over the last two years. Loadholt was great as a rookie, below average for two seasons, and then really good this year. Maybe he's still got the stink of the middle two years on him, driving down his price? Ryan Harris saw time as a backup in Houston due to injuries. He played 416 snaps and was good. He was on Cutler's line in Denver. The only problem I see with him is that he's been a ZBS guy for a long time. He has averagish size. Can he make the switch? Richardson and Justice are kind of scary because they were bad for a long time and suddenly became average last season, but they're going to be cheap.

I think a decent plan for the OL would be to spend 7.5 mil. We could retain Webb at LT and Carimi at RG, draft Jones at C, upgrade LG with someone like Slauson (2.5 mil?) and RT with Cherilus or Loadholt (4 mil). I think that would make the line roughly league average, leaving the only issue on offense being a free agent TE (nicest FA TE class I've ever seen) and possibly one more bargain #2-3 type of WR (if Knox doesn't look ready to come back and we have leftover cap after taking care of the defense).

We have some stuff we can do to open up a good deal of cap, too. I'm looking at extending Marshall/Spaeth/Tillman, restructuring Peppers, and cutting Davis/Hester/Garza/Spencer/Bush.

Docta
01-16-2013, 10:03 PM
@BradBiggs: Word I hear is Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin is hopeful he can get Rod Marinelli to join him.

**** you, Monte Kiffin.

Monomach
01-16-2013, 11:18 PM
**** you, Monte Kiffin.

I don't think Rod's gonna want to drop a high profile DC job that comes with a lot of autonomy to be a D line coach.

So...I'm not the only one to have connected some concerning dots, btw:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/trestmans-tebow-connection-put-bears-on-short-list-of-possible-destinations/

BeerBaron
01-17-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't think Rod's gonna want to drop a high profile DC job that comes with a lot of autonomy to be a D line coach.

So...I'm not the only one to have connected some concerning dots, btw:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/trestmans-tebow-connection-put-bears-on-short-list-of-possible-destinations/

I've been connecting that dot for days now. It pains me physically.

I don't particularly care for his views and don't care for the fact that he is so open to sharing them. I don't see value in him as an NFL QB. And I don't see the headache and attention he brings being worth it for another position.

I couldn't be happier if he announced today that he was giving up football to go be a missionary in some godawful country.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 02:02 AM
I've been connecting that dot for days now. It pains me physically.

I don't particularly care for his views and don't care for the fact that he is so open to sharing them. I don't see value in him as an NFL QB. And I don't see the headache and attention he brings being worth it for another position.

I couldn't be happier if he announced today that he was giving up football to go be a missionary in some godawful country.

Jesus. There's yet another dot.

"Trestman tried to recruit Tebow to North Carolina State in 2006, and they stayed in touch." (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20235/a-landing-spot-for-tebow?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Guy has a serious love affair with Timmy.

Docta
01-17-2013, 03:09 AM

La Canfora says all signs point to him leaving. JLC's a dolt, but he's usually right at least once a day.

Podlesh on Joe DeCamillis: "He's the reason Jacksonville drafted me in 2007. I really enjoyed my two years with him in JAX." And Podlesh was drafted in the 4th round.. Please keep him away from the draft room.

@ESPNChiBears: "Heard Bruce Arians made a strong push last night before Trestman got the job. Arians went down swinging...Arians was prepared. Had an impressive coaching staff prepared from what I hear. But in the end, Phil Emery went with Trestman." What could have been...

bearfan
01-17-2013, 06:22 AM
I doubt that Emery tries to get Tim Tebow. He doesn't seem like the type of GM who is going to go that far to make his new HC happy.

SFbear
01-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Can't begin to express how disappointed I am that Marc Trestman doesn't have a comical Canadian accent. That would have made this year so entertaining.

xspikex
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
So Marinelli is out, I hope we're getting a new 4-3 DC given the players we have.
Trestman also said during the press conference that he plans to be very hands on with the QB's. Sounds good to me.

Docta
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
‏Talking to @ClaytonESPN. He just told us the #Bears turned down the trio of Arians, Whisenhunt, and Grimm. Wouldve been a great staff.
Wouldn't want Grimm, but Arians + Whiz would have been great.

Trestman's bringing 2 of his CFL assistants to the team. Shouldn't he be surrounding himself with people who have NFL experience?

Also, he follows Tebow and Te'o on Twitter..

Gay Ork Wang
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
#Bears GM Phil Emery said Marc Trestman presented a 13-month schedule with every hour accounted for

What the actual ****? I cant even plan my day.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 04:58 PM
So far, the offensive staff is looking like:

Head Coach: Marc Trestman
Offensive Coordinator/OL: Aaron Kromer
Quarterbacks: Scott Milanovich (Trestman has supposedly asked him)
Running Backs: Andy Bischoff
Offensive Line Assistant: Pat Meyer

Really lining up CFL guys with the lure of NFL money, I guess.

In other news, Corey Graham is saying some stuff about Lovie that we've all occasionally talked about over the years. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ravens-corey-graham-says-bears-limited-him/)

Guess it's time to start talking about DC candidates. Who's still out there?

Rob Ryan?
Dick Jauron?
Jon Hoke?
Jim Bates?
Mel Tucker?

ugggggggggghhhhhhhh Y U NO LUV US MARINELLI???

bearsfan_51
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Da Head Coach

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/431346_553396811340078_1795098317_n.jpg

Funny that he was actually a better athlete than Lovie. Looking at them now you'd never think so.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Funny that he was actually a better athlete than Lovie. Looking at them now you'd never think so.

Nowadays he looks like someone Lovie or Marinelli would stuff in a locker.

dabears10
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM

In other news, Corey Graham is saying some stuff about Lovie that we've all occasionally talked about over the years. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ravens-corey-graham-says-bears-limited-him/)

Rob Ryan?
Dick Jauron?
Jon Hoke?
Jim Bates?
Mel Tucker?

Skip Peete is the new RB coach. He comes from Dallas, who was bad this year but mostly because of OLine issues. They worked together in Oakland.

Docta
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Rob Ryan?
Dick Jauron?
Jon Hoke?
Jim Bates?
Mel Tucker?

They added Skip Peete as the RB coach. Bischoff might be the special teams assistant.

We were better off just keeping Spencer, but Peete worked with Trestman on the Raiders, and it's not like Trestman has many connections around the league.

EDIT: dabears got it.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Reportedly (http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/1/17/3885444/clayton-claims-whisenhunt-grimm-were-almost-brought-in-to-coach-bears), Arians had Ken Whisenhunt already lined up to be his OC in Chicago and Russ Grimm at OL coach.

That would have been a strong start to an offensive staff.

Skip Peete is the new RB coach. He comes from Dallas, who was bad this year but mostly because of OLine issues. They worked together in Oakland.
Huh. Saw the reports that Bischoff was coming here and guessed it was as RB coach, since that's all he's done other than coordinate.

dabears10
01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Reportedly (http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/1/17/3885444/clayton-claims-whisenhunt-grimm-were-almost-brought-in-to-coach-bears), Arians had Ken Whisenhunt already lined up to be his OC in Chicago and Russ Grimm at OL coach.

That would have been a strong start to an offensive staff.

Huh. Saw the reports that Bischoff was coming here and guessed it was as RB coach, since that's all he's done other than coordinate.

Clarence Hill Jr tweeted, I saw it at WCG the Bears SBN blog. http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/1/17/3888178/chicago-bears-add-skip-peete-as-running-backs-coach

The Montreal site says he was also ST Coordinator. Maybe he's going to come assist DeCamillis. IDK.

Also, don't think Scott Milanovich will come to Chicago. I thought I saw earlier that Jeremy Bates would be staying.

The more important side to worry about is on the defense.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Clarence Hill Jr tweeted, I saw it at WCG the Bears SBN blog. http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/1/17/3888178/chicago-bears-add-skip-peete-as-running-backs-coach

The Montreal site says he was also ST Coordinator. Maybe he's going to come assist DeCamillis. IDK.

Also, don't think Scott Milanovich will come to Chicago. I thought I saw earlier that Jeremy Bates would be staying.

The more important side to worry about is on the defense.

I hope he's not going anywhere near the ST. Alouettes fans say their ST dropped off a cliff when he got the job there.

Mike Tice got fired today. So did OL coach Tim Holt. WR coach Darryl Drake's long reign of tyranny is also over. Maybe we can finally have an offseason without some asshole trying to convince us that Devin Hester is about to break out as an elite multipurpose weapon.

Ya know, I remember Jeremy Batew once being a WR coach to this Brandon Marshall character...

dabears10
01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I hope he's not going anywhere near the ST. Alouettes fans say their ST dropped off a cliff when he got the job there.

Mike Tice got fired today. So did OL coach Tim Holt. WR coach Darryl Drake's long reign of tyranny is also over. Maybe we can finally have an offseason without some asshole trying to convince us that Devin Hester is about to break out as an elite multipurpose weapon.

Ya know, I remember Jeremy Batew once being a WR coach to this Brandon Marshall character...

McClure is saying that Bates is gone and all coaches on O and D but Jon Hoke are gone.

Monomach
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Raheem Morris would be another possible DC candidate that I forgot before.

Our personnel could probably make an acceptable 3-4 team as long as we predominantly stuck to the Bum Phillips 1-gap style (the traditional 2-gap is pretty much out of the question), but they definitely wouldn't fit it as ideally as a 4-3 and there's a lot more competition for the prototypical 3-4 personnel *for now*. I think the league is starting to shift back to the 4-3 which would rectify that, but we're not there yet. Besides, the number of available coaches with proven proficiency in it is at zero, as far as I know. It's popular right now.

Rob Ryan ran so many different fronts in Dallas and Oakland he probably *could* work something out, but I'm concerned that his...uh..."personality" would roll right over Trestman's in the locker room. I may not be on board the Trestman train, but he's got to be given the best situation possible.

edit: Turns out we also kept Mike Phair (DL coach for last two years) and Gil Byrd (Safeties coach since 06). I don't think they had much to do with the success of the players under them...Marinelli and Hoke were above them and are well known to be good, after all...but it's probably good that they're here. The DL played really well and the safeties were fine.

dabears10
01-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Matt Cavanaugh is the supposedly the new QB coach.
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/292297667592196096

Not sure I like that at all. Sanchez has shown no improvement from the 3 years of Cavanaugh's tutelage.

dabears10
01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Bischoff is TE coach and Michael Sinclair is Assistant DL coach. Both from Montreal.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/292427610078715904

Like that the Montreal guys seem to be limited in responsibility.

bearsfan_51
01-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Matt Cavanaugh is the supposedly the new QB coach.
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/292297667592196096

Not sure I like that at all. Sanchez has shown no improvement from the 3 years of Cavanaugh's tutelage.
Sanchez is also an overrated product of a system. You can't shine a turd.

For someone that hasn't been in the league for a long time, he's done a nice job of putting together a credible staff. I like the Mel Tucker hire.

dabears10
01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Sanchez is also an overrated product of a system. You can't shine a turd.

For someone that hasn't been in the league for a long time, he's done a nice job of putting together a credible staff. I like the Mel Tucker hire.

I am not expecting him to make Sanchez into a star, just a general increase in completion percentage and decrease in INTs. Some of that is play calling and not on QB coaching.

Monomach
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
If the Bears ever give up and join the CFL, our coaching staff is ******* STACKED. New coaches so far:

Cavanaugh was the QB coach with the 49ers in 96, so that's how Trestman knows him. He's never actually developed a QB or made one get better or anything so....whatever. Trestman said he's going to be personally working with Jay, anyway. I guess Cavanaugh can fetch them Gatorade and lug around playbooks. He was Billick's OC back in the day, so he's used to not having to do what his job normally entails.

Skip Peete's a running back coach. They're pretty much all the same. The only real coaching running backs get is how to protect the ball if they have problems with it. His backs have mostly been productive, so that's nice. With Trestman in Oakland.

Andy Bischoff is from Canadaland. Prior to joining the Alouettes, he was a high school coach. He's coached running backs and special teams, but never Tight Ends. Well, he's our TE coach now. This is the only hire that's a real head-scratcher. We'd better not draft a TE, since we don't have anyone that knows them or anything. He served as Trestman's secretary in Canada, too.

Michael Sinclair, Canada, etc, etc. Had good D lines there. Only here as the assistant to Mike Phair, anyway.

Joe DeCamillis, special teams. Famous for having a building fall on his head and break his neck. Has a good reputation, but I haven't heard from a single Cowboys fan that isn't happy about us stealing him. One of only two hires that Trestman has never worked with.

Aaron Kromer, figurehead OC and real OL coach. Was with Trestman in Oakland. Had good OLs in Oakland and New Orleans. He's pretty legit.

Mel Tucker, DC. Previously DC in JAX. Didn't call plays until DelRio was stripped of those duties before the 2011 season. One really good year, one really bad year. The offense didn't do him any favors by leaving his guys on the field all game. Generally regarded as a good DC. Never worked with Trestman.

Trestman's hiatus from the NFL resulted in a lot of CFL hires. He just doesn't have the contacts guys who've stayed here have. I'm pretty happy about Kromer. Marinelli would have been better than Tucker, but that's not a bad rebound there. The other guys aren't terrible or anything, so yay. The only one I'm pretty bummed about is Bischoff. A guy who's never worked with TEs being an NFL TE coach is pretty shady, but he's Trestman's personal go-fer, so he was clearly getting a job in some position.

I'd like to see who the WR coach ends up being. That's a position that actually requires some real coaching and Jeffery needs it. Can't really be worse than Darryl Drake, in any case.

dabears10
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
A lot = 2.

I'm not sure I could tell you what a good TE coach hire or Asst DL coach hire would be.

Monomach
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
A lot = 2.

I'm not sure I could tell you what a good TE coach hire or Asst DL coach hire would be.

Name all of the coaches to make the transition from the CFL to the NFL in the past five years.

When you look that up, you're going to see why it's a lot, lol.

bearsfan_51
01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Joe DeCamillis, special teams. Famous for having a building fall on his head and break his neck. Has a good reputation, but I haven't heard from a single Cowboys fan that isn't happy about us stealing him.
Most Cowboys fans are delusional morons that think they should win the Superbowl every year.

dabears10
01-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Name all of the coaches to make the transition from the CFL to the NFL in the past five years.

When you look that up, you're going to see why it's a lot, lol.

Sinclair played 10 years in the NFL. If it was just a player that was moving into coaching named Asst DL coach no one would care.

Also, is there a large difference from moving from college to NFL and CFL to NFL?

We have a coach who is bringing in guys he knows because communication is key in any sport or business. Andy Bischoff is the only questionable name on the staff to me and again I have no idea about what makes a good TE coach.

Docta
01-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Spoke to a Niners fan about Trestman, and he said Trestman drove the fans crazy. Compared his play calling to Cam Cameron because of how he'd forget to run the ball. Then to make matters worse, he was fired publicly by DeBartolo during a press conference with Trestman right next to him.

Doesn't look like we'll have many secondary issues on D. Three DB coaches in Tucker, Hoke, and Byrd.

Monomach
01-20-2013, 07:30 AM
I've mentioned a couple of free agents from the Jets that would fit the Bears and alluded to their salary cap apocalypse a few times this offseason. Just read an article that explains how screwed they are, lol: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19987/clayton-jets-have-worst-cap-situation

Now you know why no one wanted that job.

Keep an eye on LG Matt Slauson and TE Dustin Keller. The Jets may not be able to extend even a moderately reasonable offer for them.

regoob2
01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I've mentioned a couple of free agents from the Jets that would fit the Bears and alluded to their salary cap apocalypse a few times this offseason. Just read an article that explains how screwed they are, lol: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19987/clayton-jets-have-worst-cap-situation

Now you know why no one wanted that job.

Keep an eye on LG Matt Slauson and TE Dustin Keller. The Jets may not be able to extend even a moderately reasonable offer for them.
Both guys would be real nice additions.

Monomach
01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/v0T3Wbe.jpg

Jeffery better return that man's texts and go see him. He needs Marshall to show him how to use his body instead of his arms to push off against DBs so he doesn't draw attention and get flagged for offensive pass interference. Marshall's a master of it.

bearfan
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/v0T3Wbe.jpg

Jeffery better return that man's texts and go see him. He needs Marshall to show him how to use his body instead of his arms to push off against DBs so he doesn't draw attention and get flagged for offensive pass interference. Marshall's a master of it.

I am looking forward to see how hard Jeffrey works with Marshall to get better. Even though those were pass interference calls, I was excited because I saw a lot of BMarsh in those...just not as refined. I think Jeffrey could be very good if he works with Marshall to master those little things.

Gay Ork Wang
01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiBears/status/297008356730761216

#Bears WR Brandon Marshall tells @WaddleandSilvy that he'll begin training with 2nd year wideout Alshon Jeffery on Monday in South Florida.

Jizz in my pants.

Monomach
02-03-2013, 08:38 AM
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiBears/status/297008356730761216

Jizz in my pants.

Thank god. If Jeffery can learn to use his body against DBs the way Marshall does, it's going to do wonders for his game.

Monomach
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Just for fun, here are the Pro Football Focus grades of the Bears O Linemen:

+4.2 Gabe Carimi RG (+ in pass and run block)
-0.8 J'Marcus Webb LT
-1.9 Lance Louis RG
-2.9 Edwin Williams LG (+ in 2010/2011)
-4.0 Chris Spencer LG
-5.6 Roberto Garza C (ok pass block, terrible run block)
-6.4 James Brown LG (--- in Weeks 14/15, + in weeks 16/17)
-8.0 Jonathan Scott RT
-10.1 Gabe Carimi RT (+++ run block, --- pass block)
-12.1 Chilo Rachal LG

UNRESTRICTED Free Agent Tackles of Note:

+26.9 Ryan Clady LT $$$$$
+26.9 Andre Smith RT $$$$$
+23.5 Gosder Cherilus RT $$$$$
+22.4 Will Beatty LT $$$$$
+21.5 Sebastian Vollmer RT $$$$$
+15.9 Phil Loadholt RT
+13.8 Brandon Albert LT $$$$$
+11.6 Sam Baker LT (injuriezzz)
+7.1 King Dunlap LT
+4.3 Ryan Harris RT (ZONE Blocking)
+2.1 Barry Richardson RT
+1.5 Jermon Bushrod LT $$$$$
+0.1 Winston Justice RT
-0.3 Jake Long LT $$$$$

UNRESTRICTED Free Agent Guards of Note:
+21.3 Brandon Moore RG (old)
+17.3 Andy Levitre LG $$$$$
+12.7 Louis Vasquez RG/LG $$$$$
+11.2 Donald Thomas LG (managed to get in only 614 snaps) $$$$$
+8.2 Kevin Boothe LG $$$$$
+6.4 Geoff Schwartz RG/RT (managed to get in only 182 snaps)
+3.5 Chad Rinehart RG (managed to get in only 170 snaps)
+2.4 Matt Slauson LG
+2.0 Ramon Foster LG
+1.1 Garrett Reynolds RG
+0.6 Stephen Peterman RG (old)
-0.3 Cooper Carlisle LG/RG (100 years old)
-0.3 Tyronne Green LG

UNRESTRICTED Free Agent Centers of Note:
+6.7 Todd McClure (100 years old)
+5.0 Dan Koppen (100 years old)

If I didn't include someone, they probably didn't play more than a few snaps or were terrible. I put dollar signs next to guys I don't think are a fit with our cap situation.

The grades are cumulative, so if someone got a high grade in few snaps, it means they were REALLY good for those snaps (i.e. Donald Thomas had a high grade playing only 60%ish of a normal starter's snaps, but made more of a positive impact in that time than most guards did in a full year). Same goes for really low grades (i.e. Jonathan Scott, Chris Spencer, Chilo Rachal are all pretty terrible because they got really low grades in part-time snaps).

Grades between +1.0 and -1.0 are considered to be average. Someone grading at 0.0 isn't failing to make a positive impact and isn't dragging a line down, they're just coasting along doing about what you'd expect.

regoob2
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Maybe Carimi has a future at LG. I hope we get something out of the kid.

Monomach
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Just found out today that Desmond Clark is working as a real estate agent in the suburbs.

It was a pretty depressing moment when I immediately thought "there's a real estate agent who could come in off the street and probably improve the Bears TE situation on day one."

Iamcanadian
02-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Maybe Carimi has a future at LG. I hope we get something out of the kid.

Some players need a year or 2 to develop, I won't give up on him just yet. Cherlius was a complete flop as a rookie but has gradually improved with time. I think if Carimi puts in the time and effort, he could still develop.

Monomach
02-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Did a mock offseason today. Had a little fun. Think it turned out ok. The defense is probably going to regress some just because getting turnovers and defensive touchdowns at that rate is unsustainable, but the offense I put together should be plenty better than 2012. In free agency, I pretty much went with guys who I think will be undervalued for the production they provide. They come from the deeper positions in FA in the hopes that they'll be cheaper. They're the underappreciated solid types; no big flashy names. On some contracts, especially the extensions, I gave out extra guaranteed money for a lower total value, allowing for more cap flexibility.

With this mock, we finish right at the salary cap. I DID NOT restructure the Peppers contract because I wanted to retain the possibility of cutting him next year when we have a bunch of starters become UFAs. The 11M in cap space that would create may end up being necessary. The way Emery structured Forte's contract, he can be cut before next offseason to avoid big cap hits, too...so I didn't mess with that, either.

Re-signings:
Nick Roach, LB 2 years, 4.5M (2M guaranteed)
2013: 1.7M 2014: 2.8M
Israel Idonije, DE/DT 1 year, 2.5M (fully guaranteed)
2013: 2.5M
Henry Melton, DT 6 years, 46.6M (20M guaranteed)
2013: 4.7M 2014: 6.9M 2015: 7.7M 2016: 8.3M 2017: 8.4M 2018: 10.6M
Nate Collins, DT 3 years, 7M (2.7M guaranteed)
2013: 1.0M 2014: 1.7M 2015: 3.3M

Extensions:
Corey Wootton, DE 4 years, 16M (6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.5M 2014: 3.1M 2015: 4.6M 2016: 6.8M
Brandon Marshall, WR 5 years, 50M (25M guaranteed)
2013: 6.5M 2014: 7.0M 2015: 10.2M 2016: 13.1M 2017: 13.2M
Charles Tillman, CB 3 years, 24M (14M guaranteed)
2013: 5.0M 2014: 9.0M 2015: 10.0M

Free Agent Signings:
Matt Moore, QB 2 years, 5.2M (2.7M guaranteed)
2013: 2.0M 2014: 3.2M
Anthony Fasano, TE 3 years, 8.1M (3.6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.6M 2014: 3.1M 2015: 3.4M
Ramses Barden, WR 2 years, 3.4M (1.2M guaranteed)
2013: 1.2M 2014: 2.2M
King Dunlap, OT 4 years, 13M (6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.7M 2014: 3.3M 2015: 3.6M 2016: 4.4M
Geoff Schwartz, OG/OT 2 years. 3.6M (fully guaranteed)
2013: 1.5M 2014: 2.1M
Matt Slauson, OG 4 years, 11.4M (4.4M guaranteed)
2013: 2.0M 2014: 2.2M 2015: 2.8M 2016: 4.4M
Andre Fluellen, DT 1 year, 1.1M (no guaranteed money)
2013: 1.1M

Cuts:
Roberto Garza, C
Devin Hester, WR 0.8M dead money
Kellen Davis, TE 1.4M dead money
Matt Toeaina, DT 0.5M dead money
Matt Spaeth, TE 0.3M dead money

Draft:
Round 1: Trade to ARI for Round 2 & Round 3
Round 2: Arthur Brown, LB (1.0M first year cap)
Starts at SLB on day one. Roach fills in at MLB for one year until we find a replacement.
Round 2: Will Davis, CB (0.8M first year cap)
Spends his first year as nickel corner. Moves to Jennings' spot in 2014.
Round 3: Khaled Holmes, C (0.7M first year cap)
First year starter at Center.
Round 4: Dion Sims, TE (0.6M first year cap)
Takes Spaeth's roster spot. Excellent blocker, decent receiver.
Round 5: Kerwynn Williams, RB (0.5M first year cap)
Change of pace home run threat. Big time receiver out of the backfield. Returns kicks, too. A Darren Sproles type. 4.4 speed. Starts the season off as the #3 RB. Possibly the #2 in 2014. Will never be a workhorse.
Round 6: Some boom-or-bust guy or someone who fell unexpectedly (0.5M first year cap, practice squad???)

regoob2
02-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Did a mock offseason today. Had a little fun. Think it turned out ok. The defense is probably going to regress some just because getting turnovers and defensive touchdowns at that rate is unsustainable, but the offense I put together should be plenty better than 2012. In free agency, I pretty much went with guys who I think will be undervalued for the production they provide. They come from the deeper positions in FA in the hopes that they'll be cheaper. They're the underappreciated solid types; no big flashy names. On some contracts, especially the extensions, I gave out extra guaranteed money for a lower total value, allowing for more cap flexibility.

With this mock, we finish right at the salary cap. I DID NOT restructure the Peppers contract because I wanted to retain the possibility of cutting him next year when we have a bunch of starters become UFAs. The 11M in cap space that would create may end up being necessary. The way Emery structured Forte's contract, he can be cut before next offseason to avoid big cap hits, too...so I didn't mess with that, either.

Re-signings:
Nick Roach, LB 2 years, 4.5M (2M guaranteed)
2013: 1.7M 2014: 2.8M
Israel Idonije, DE/DT 1 year, 2.5M (fully guaranteed)
2013: 2.5M
Henry Melton, DT 6 years, 46.6M (20M guaranteed)
2013: 4.7M 2014: 6.9M 2015: 7.7M 2016: 8.3M 2017: 8.4M 2018: 10.6M
Nate Collins, DT 3 years, 7M (2.7M guaranteed)
2013: 1.0M 2014: 1.7M 2015: 3.3M

Extensions:
Corey Wootton, DE 4 years, 16M (6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.5M 2014: 3.1M 2015: 4.6M 2016: 6.8M
Brandon Marshall, WR 5 years, 50M (25M guaranteed)
2013: 6.5M 2014: 7.0M 2015: 10.2M 2016: 13.1M 2017: 13.2M
Charles Tillman, CB 3 years, 24M (14M guaranteed)
2013: 5.0M 2014: 9.0M 2015: 10.0M

Free Agent Signings:
Matt Moore, QB 2 years, 5.2M (2.7M guaranteed)
2013: 2.0M 2014: 3.2M
Anthony Fasano, TE 3 years, 8.1M (3.6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.6M 2014: 3.1M 2015: 3.4M
Ramses Barden, WR 2 years, 3.4M (1.2M guaranteed)
2013: 1.2M 2014: 2.2M
King Dunlap, OT 4 years, 13M (6M guaranteed)
2013: 1.7M 2014: 3.3M 2015: 3.6M 2016: 4.4M
Geoff Schwartz, OG/OT 2 years. 3.6M (fully guaranteed)
2013: 1.5M 2014: 2.1M
Matt Slauson, OG 4 years, 11.4M (4.4M guaranteed)
2013: 2.0M 2014: 2.2M 2015: 2.8M 2016: 4.4M
Andre Fluellen, DT 1 year, 1.1M (no guaranteed money)
2013: 1.1M

Cuts:
Roberto Garza, C
Devin Hester, WR 0.8M dead money
Kellen Davis, TE 1.4M dead money
Matt Toeaina, DT 0.5M dead money
Matt Spaeth, TE 0.3M dead money

Draft:
Starts at SLB on day one. Roach fills in at MLB for one year until we find a replacement.
Change of pace home run threat. Big time receiver out of the backfield. Returns kicks, too. A Darren Sproles type. 4.4 speed. Starts the season off as the #3 RB. Possibly the #2 in 2014. Will never be a workhorse.
Round 6: Some boom-or-bust guy or someone who fell unexpectedly (0.5M first year cap, practice squad???)
Overall I like it.

Monomach
02-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Jason Smith was released by the Jets to save $12 mil. He graded out as pretty fantastic in 265 snaps last season, but was used mostly as a sixth lineman in jumbo packages. He'd be a really nice guy to take a flyer on for like a million bucks to compete for a job.

Monomach
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Prospects Bears staff have had individual meetings with so far:

Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (@ Senior Bowl)
Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (@ Shrine Game)
Zach Line, FB, SMU (@ Shrine Game)
Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (@ Shrine Game)
Terron Armstead, OL, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (@ Shrine Game)

Brandon Williams, DL, Missouri Southern (@ Senior Bowl)
Matt Evans, LB, New Hampshire (@ Shrine Game)
Robert Lester, SS, Alabama (@ Senior Bowl)
Bradley McDougald, FS, Kansas (@ Shrine Game)
Josh Evans, FS, Florida (@ Shrine Game)

The Bears have scheduled a second individual meeting, an actual visit, with SS Robert Lester.

Docta
02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Mike Groh leaving Bama to become the new Bears WR coach. The coaching staff is now set.

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Article/Noles247-has-learned-that-FSU-assistant-Billy-Napier--117795

Groh was a QB in college and won the Rivals 2013 Recruiter of the Year. Don't really think he did much to help the Bama WRs. He must be one hell of a persuader though.

Monomach
02-24-2013, 12:20 AM
That Dion Sims pick I had in the fourth round of my mock? Forget it.

Combine: 6'5", 262 lbs, 4.75 40-yard, 35" vertical, 22 bench reps, 10 1/2" hands.

The concerns people had about him coming in? Speed and weight. Well, he's 23 pounds under his listed weight at MSU and was excellent in every measurable. 40 time just a hair faster than Ertz. I think he just jumped up a round. The twitter rumor is that he met with the Lions and they're all about him now.

On the other hand, Arthur Brown came into the draft at about the same size as Te'o, Ogletree, and Minter. Everyone else's height was inflated by their schools more than his and he packed on 13 lbs. That's exciting. It'll be great if he works out well at the new size because he's got the best MLB skills of the bunch. The only knock there was against him was that he was small enough that he'd have to play on the outside. If he can carry his new weight, he'd be a dream come true to replace Urlacher.

Gay Ork Wang
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php

jrdrylie
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
J'Marcus Webb apparently got arrested this weekend.

Monomach
02-27-2013, 10:43 PM
J'Marcus Webb apparently got arrested this weekend.

Yep. Pot.

Must have been a small amount. Prosecutor says he's not bothering (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/27/prosecutor-wont-pursue-charges-against-webb/).

Iamcanadian
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Draft: [/COLOR]

I see you did your homework, that would be a great draft but I doubt Arizona is willing to give up picks in this deep draft where a 2nd and 3rd rounder are worth their weight in gold.

Monomach
03-03-2013, 07:18 AM
I see you did your homework, that would be a great draft but I doubt Arizona is willing to give up picks in this deep draft where a 2nd and 3rd rounder are worth their weight in gold.

I figured they may want to get both a QB and a LT in round one.

Monomach
03-03-2013, 07:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8orOVyv.jpg

Possible cuts outlined in orange. Peppers is obviously a super far out there longshot, as we currently have no replacement. I guess it's not completely impossible that we sign a free agent DE for cheaper or draft Tank Carradine or whatever and let him go, though, so I included him.

NEXT offseason, assuming no restructure this offseason, the cap savings from cutting Peppers would be 10.8 million.

NEXT offseason, the cap savings from cutting Forte would be 5.6 million.

A huge number of our starters are on the last year of their contracts right now and we'll need money to sign them, so I'm thinking this is the last season for Peppers and Forte.

There's a good chance we end up picking an early round DE AGAIN next year, unless Shea McClellin starts looking like a starter. Wootton is one of those FAs who'll need to be signed after this year, btw. I hope we extend him now to save some money down the line.

Gay Ork Wang
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Reportedly we are interested in Long. Not against it, just not for 10mil. More like 6-7. Interesting to see how this will play out

Monomach
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
We can't afford 6-7. We have big cap problems next year. My guess is that his agent is making crap up & we sign no one who costs any decent amount.

jrdrylie
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
We signed Martellus Bennett. I'm not a huge fan of this. He's a decent all-around Tight End but I would prefer a guy like Eifert.

Monomach
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I love this. This is one of the best years I've seen to need a TE. There were tons of FA options and the draft class is deep enough to have first-year starters in the fourth round. If we'd spent a first on a TE when half of the defense is up for free agency next year, I'd have been angry. The best course of action now is to pick up a couple of second-tier FA OL guys and spend our first two picks on defense.

We got the best tight end available in free agency. He's a four-down player because he's just as good at blocking as blocking specialists. This is a big win. Just a little worried about fitting the contract in next offseason with all of the guys we're going to have to re-sign.

He played 91% of New York's offensive snaps last season. i think he'll do the same here. It's gonna move Rodriguez back to TE since he's not a WCO fullback. Davis and Spaeth are gong to get cut soonish.

regoob2
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Im really happy with the Bennett signing. Good player and has the potential to be really good.

BeerBaron
03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Bennett, not bad, not freakishly expensive...I'll take it. Saves us from having to use a high draft pick on the spot too.

Would still like to see just about any position added to the o-line still.

Monomach
03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
We just signed Bushrod, who is only as good as Webb. If he's cheap, it's ok because it moves Webb to RT and Carimi to guard...but it won't be cheap.

We're going to be in big trouble next offseason when half of the defense goes into free agency.

There were better guys who aren't as well-known and would have been much cheaper. Gonna be interesting to see who we cut to get this done.