PDA

View Full Version : Organizations you would and wouldn't like to play for?

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
The other day I was driving home and something on the radio got me thinking about which organizations I would and wouldn't like to play for. So I figured since the boards are dead I would throw up this question for a little fun.
Which four (one extra for the homer pick) organizations would you like to play for and why?
Which three organizations would you not like to play for and why?Rules:

Consider yourself a FA with every team offering you a contract for the same amount of money.
This is about organizations not rosters. Make your decisions base upon coaches on up not about the players on the team.
Feel free to include fans and team history into the reasoning.

jrdrylie
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Like to play for:
Green Bay
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Chicago

Don't want to play for:
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Miami

vidae
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Teams I'd like to play for:
Kansas City Chiefs(obviously)
San Francisco 49ers
New York Giants
Carolina Panthers

Teams I don't want to play for:
Oakland Raiders
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd Like To Play For:

(No real order within the rankings)

- Patriots - For as much **** as they get, Robert Kraft seems like a genuinely good guy and Belichick is the current coach I always say I'd take if I needed to win one game. To be a dynasty and make 5 Superbowls within 11 years in the salary cap era of the NFL is truly an epic accomplishment.

- Steelers - I give them **** because I'm constantly surrounded by their gloating fans who have never had to experience long years of perennial losing. But, that kind of success would be great to play for. They don't make rash decisions (3 coaches in what...40 years?) and you know the fanbase is always going to be there (even if you're not playing at home) and extremely loyal.

After those two...any of the more "classic" franchises with great ownership/leadership. The Giants would be in there though I doubt I'd enjoy the NY media and Tom Coughlin rubs me the wrong way.

While my homer pick would be the Bears, I really don't like their ownership. Rich old people who don't seem to know a damn thing about football, just waiting for their profits to be deposited in their bank account.

There are a lot more I just wouldn't want to play for:

- Jets - Currently at least. They're the ugly step-sibling of the Giants who seems to do anything for attention. And I'd never, ever, play on the same team as Tim Tebow. Ever.

- Bengals - Ludicrously cheap ownership who just seem to aim for mediocrity, since aiming any higher would cost more. No thanks. I like some of what they've been doing, but I want to see it come together.

- Jaguars - Their new owner seems to be pretty proactive in building up the team and fanbase, but seriously....Jacksonville, Florida. Meh. Sub-prime market, team that is easily forgotten about in the grand scheme of things...pass.

- Bucs - Take a bit of the reasoning for both the Jags and Bengals above and you have why I wouldn't want to go there.

- Any place that lacks a great fan base - Looking at you San Diego. The Bucs and Jags like I've mentioned too struggle here, at least recently. Even Miami...definite fair weather fans there.

- Teams that play home games in domes - I just don't like domes. I enjoy outdoor football like it's meant to be played.

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 09:35 AM

- Green Bay Packers (Homer pick)
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Pittsburgh Steelers - As much as I hate Steelers fans, their organization is top notch and have rabid diehard fans.
- Houston Texans - I have liked the Texans since they have come into the league and would want to help them win their first championship.

- New England Patriots - All they do is win... but its run by a naziesque regime. Hardly anyone is safe under Belichick's reign.
- Cleveland Browns - The team has been poorly managed for what seems to be forever at this point.
- Oakland Raiders - They have a storied history and diehard fans. Even with Al no longer running the team I think I would still stay away.

RufusMcDaniel
07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Which four (one extra for the homer pick) organizations would you like to play for and why?

1. Tennessee: Easy, homer pick. Plus, TH and Drew would have my jersey.
2. Buffalo: It's close to home and I'd get to play in Canada once a year.
3. Pittsburgh: I think it's been said, but a constant contender and an organization that is run properly. Fans are great as well, and the people were extremely nice to me when I went down there in Titans gear last year, of course...that asswhopping may have had something to do with it.
4. Green Bay: Playing in Lambeau on a consistent basis would be pretty awesome, experiencing Bears-Packers rivalry. The cold don't scare me either.

Which three organizations would you not like to play for and why?

St. Louis: Been struggling recently, but I'm more butthurt from the SB loss against them many years ago.
Cleveland: I come from a town that is pretty run down and it stinks, so the bad rep that Cleveland as a city gets doesn't play much of a factor. But the fact that the team hasn't exactly been stellar would be reason enough to prevent to consider them.
Jacksonville: I don't like the teal colour, plus that Steve McNair skeleton thing some fans did last year is something I'll never forget.

K Train
07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Steelers
Cowboys
Redskins (all about the benjamins)
Patriots

Bengals
Browns
Jaguars

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
- New England Patriots - All they do is win... but its run by a naziesque regime. Hardly anyone is safe under Belichick's reign.

I have to agree with this one. Belichick will use you while you are underpaid and then toss you away like a used rag. Only a very choice few in the "in crowd" are saved from such experiences.

And Belichick seems to be a classic over the top douche of a coach.

jrdrylie
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Jacksonville is such a strange organization. If you ask national writers, they'll tell you that Jacksonville is the most vocal fanbase on Twitter, yet they have trouble filling a stadium despite covering up 10K seats. They have had good ownership throughout their tenure, but they make so stupid hires. Both head coaches since Coughlin have been meh. They haven't had a good GM ever. I love the Jags, but there is just something off with that organization but I can't pinpoint it.

Grizzlegom
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
You guys are nailing the "and why" portion of the program...haha

Would like to play for:
1. Philadelphia Eagles - I'm a Philadelphia fan at heart and would love to play for what is essentially my hometown team. They are also run very well and take care of their own.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers - Well-run organization that wins and takes care of their own.
3. San Francisco 49ers - IMO, John Harbaugh is the coach in the NFL that I would most want to play for.
4. Miami Dolphins? - Including them on the list because they are my favorite team. The things I like is the Florida tax situation and the nostalgia. The owner sucks though and the fan base is a "fair weather" fanbase so I'm not sure I'd really be overly attracted to playing there right now.

Teams I wouldn't want to play for:
1. New York Jets - Wouldn't want to play for Rex Ryan and I wouldn't want to live in New York.
2. New England Patriots - Similar reasoning to Cain. Kraft seems like a good guy but Belichick is only interested in your services at below market value and I don't think they are good at "taking care of their own."
3. Dallas Cowboys - I was brought up to hate that organization with every fiber of my being. Just couldn't bring myself to voluntarily choose to play there.

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
For you guys saying what you say about Belichick...his players are fiercely loyal. And it's often said that he's more of a douche in front of the cameras than in the locker room.

The guy knows football and his teams are always successful, even when they're grossly undertalented.

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 10:00 AM
For you guys saying what you say about Belichick...his players are fiercely loyal. And it's often said that he's more of a douche in front of the cameras than in the locker room.

The guy knows football and his teams are always successful, even when they're grossly undertalented.

Honestly what spurred this was a conversation on sports talk radio. Josh Miller former punter for both the Steelers and the Patriots was talking about locker room chemistry as it regards to the Pirates currently.

While talking about it he started to go over the differences between a good locker room experience (The Steelers) and a poor one (The Pats). He went on for a good 15 minutes and explained it was great to win a Super Bowl but that the locker room chemistry for the Pats was abysmal compared to the other teams he had been on.

He even later went on to talk about how people were afraid of just getting cut and things along those lines. Like I said in my post all they do is win but I would not want to be part of that organization if that is how the players feel.

K Train
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
people arent saying redskins, snyder throws fat stacks at painfully average players. Unless you are an incredible talent, the skins are the way to go lol

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
people arent saying redskins, snyder throws fat stacks at painfully average players. Unless you are an incredible talent, the skins are the way to go lol

Did you read the rules?

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, you are there to win a Superbowl. (And make money.)

The closest most of us are ever going to come to a situation like this would be thinking of bosses and teachers we've had in real life. I've had experiences all across the board. Obviously, we'd like ones who are nice AND get **** done.

For example, there was one professor I had in college. He was a real hard ass but was genuinely knowledgeable and I came away from his class having learned more than I had in most others combined.

I guess I'm just saying that if I wanted the best chance to win the Superbowl in any given year, I'd go play for the Patriots.

K Train
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
making it a level playing field from a financial standpoint eliminates so many teams. some teams willingness to pay would compensate for their ****** coaches and fans

jrdrylie
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I completely forgot about the "and why" portion...

Green Bay- I like the way they build their team. The Packers do it through the draft. They went years between free agent signings. their history is fantastic, their fan base is among the most loyal in the NFL.

Pittsburgh- Like BB said, they are always good. They haven't had a prolonged time of suckage in 40 years. Their fan base might be the largest in the league.

Baltimore- They seem to be a pretty loyal team. They pay their own guys.

Teams I wouldn't want to play for:

Cincinnati- Ownership just doesn't seem to care about winning. They've mad the playoffs in consecutive seasons all of once. And I would not want to play for any team where the owner is also the guy making the football decisions.

Cleveland- The Browns aren't quite as bad as the Bengals. At least they've had some decent success in prior times. But today, they are just terrible. How can you go so long without finding a legitimate QB?

Miami- I love the city of Miami. Of all the cities where there are NFL teams, Miami is probably top of my list of where I would want to play. But their owner is just awful. He doesn't give two shits about football.

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
making it a level playing field from a financial standpoint eliminates so many teams. some teams willingness to pay would compensate for their ****** coaches and fans

I guess but its about the organizations themselves not the cash you can make. So naturally some teams are going to be eliminated.

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Well, you are there to win a Superbowl. (And make money.)

The closest most of us are ever going to come to a situation like this would be thinking of bosses and teachers we've had in real life. I've had experiences all across the board. Obviously, we'd like ones who are nice AND get **** done.

For example, there was one professor I had in college. He was a real hard ass but was genuinely knowledgeable and I came away from his class having learned more than I had in most others combined.

I guess I'm just saying that if I wanted the best chance to win the Superbowl in any given year, I'd go play for the Patriots.

Oh I understand. Its really about how much dealing with an environment like that would bother you. I am sure if you are a super star player the situation is going to be vastly different.

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Green Bay Packers: This is a storied franchise that is very well run with a very passionate fan base. By all accounts, they have stellar facilities and of course a great system in place with their personnel choices. And sometimes it's fun to play in awful weather.

Oakland Raiders: This is my homer pick of course, but this has to do with so much more than this team being just my favorite. This team has a rabid fan base, they have a storied franchise and they have great weather to play football in. If they get a new stadium, this franchise will have that much more to make them desirable.

Baltimore Ravens: Apart from the Siragusa flop in the AFC Championship in the 2000 playoffs, I really have no beef with this franchise. I like the way they play football with intense, passionate and inspired defensive play matched with a strong up the middle running game and vertical passing game. John Harbaugh seems like he'd be a great coach to play for and this is a franchise that has been very good for the past 12 years or more.

Chicago Bears: This last team was a pretty tough choice. It ended up coming down to 2 teams notorious for awful field conditions (the other was Pittsburgh). The Bears won out here mostly because there is so much bad blood between the Raiders and Steelers dating back to the early 70s. I love the fan base. I love the storied franchise. They have the same hard-nosed style of play historically that the Ravens have shown for the past 12 years. And as with the Packers, I actually like playing in really bad weather.

New England Patriots: As I already stated, I don't like the way Belichick runs his ship in Foxboro. There also happens to be recent bad blood with my team (Tuck Rule) and the Boston fans just seem so smarmy.

Dallas Cowboys: This was almost in my top 4 of teams to play for. Then I remembered Jerry Jones and how much I dislike his team meddling. Al Davis at least had an excuse to meddle in football operations as he had been a football coach. Jerry Jones is a very rich football fan who happens to have final say in a football team's operations. Apart from that, they have just about everything I would look for in a team--the amazing facilities, the strong fan base, etc. I want to win and I can see that happening with any of my top 4 franchises. I can't see that happening in Dallas with Jones at the helm.

Any team in a dome: I really, really don't like football in a dome. A retractable roof would be one thing, but domes just seem so fake. Football is not meant to be played inside. Without the dome factor, there are a few teams I could actually see myself playing for--NO, ATL, and maybe even Detroit.

Bonus: No franchise in the AFC West. Just no. Only redeeming quality would be to play for the Chiefs just to have vidae and Splat root for a Raiders fan.

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Oh I understand. Its really about how much dealing with an environment like that would bother you. I am sure if you are a super star player the situation is going to be vastly different.

Well, if the Pats are offering you a market level deal (as is the scenario here,) it's probably safe to assume they really want you.

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, if the Pats are offering you a market level deal (as is the scenario here,) it's probably safe to assume they really want you.

... I understand this is your thing but lets not over analyze it. :njx:

I just tried to come up for a couple rules so people don't go to the Redskins for monetary reasons or go to the Giants because they think they can win the Super Bowl with the current roster.

I wanted it to be more about the organization and how they treat their players, the fans, coaches and other things that are often overlooked when saying people want to play certain places.

vidae
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Bonus: No franchise in the AFC West. Just no. Only redeeming quality would be to play for the Chiefs just to have vidae and Splat root for a Raiders fan.

Never! NEVERRRRRRRRRR! *pushes his desk over*

bigbluedefense
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Organizations I'd love to play for:

Giants (obviously)
Jets (close to home)
Miami (hot chicks, hot weather)
SD (See Miami)

The Redskins would be #5 on my list since my fiancee is a diehard Skins fan.

Organizations I wouldn't want to play for:

Green Bay (nothing to do out there)
Buffalo (same)
Cleveland (just a ****** organization)
Cinncy (see Cleveland)

In terms of money, your monetary value will be the same anywhere in terms of contract. Your potential earnings outside of your football contracts will be maximized in NY, which is another reason why that would be the preferred destination.

In terms of winning, I'll say this: Winning is overrated. Players are no different than you and me, they think about the money first, winning second. You can win anywhere, it's a league of parity. So you maximize your dollars and hope you get lucky enough to win a ring.

Lifestyle is obviously very important too. Just being a city guy, I don't think I'd be happy in a GB or a Buffalo, where I'd be spending 9 months of the year in the middle of nowhere.

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Never! NEVERRRRRRRRRR! *pushes his desk over*

So, NIP is the studliest of studly QBs with cannon of an arm, a "gives zero *****" attitude and so much clutch oozing out of him that QBs at any level of football within a 500 mile radius report better 4th quarter performances thanks to simply being near him...AND he's available with the Chiefs pick a year after Matt Cassel has the most game managery of game manager seasons....

Do you still feel that way?

Grizzlegom
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Come on BB, you know Matt Cassel is the best QB in the leage. :njx:

vidae
07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
So, NIP is the studliest of studly QBs with cannon of an arm, a "gives zero *****" attitude and so much clutch oozing out of him that QBs at any level of football within a 500 mile radius report better 4th quarter performances thanks to simply being near him...AND he's available with the Chiefs pick a year after Matt Cassel has the most game managery of game manager seasons....

Do you still feel that way?

Why do you do this to me? Do you enjoy watching me root for a team with Matt Cassel at QB? DO YOU ENJOY IT?

*picks his desk back up and pushes it back over*

ImBrotherCain
07-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Come on BB, you know Matt Cassel is the best QB in the leage. :njx:

"Shh... Quiet." *A wild npeg has appeared!* "Oh wait thats just a mimic."

*Throws Pokeball.... .... .... .... Wild mimic was caught!*

"I think I will call you Grizzle"

OSUGiants17
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Would play for:
Giants- Obvious reasons; would love to play for Tommy C, favorite team, ect.

49ers- Harbaugh, nice weather, and loyal fans

Patriots- I respect the hell out of this organization and their ownership and coaching staff, plus who doesn't want a ring?

Bears- Love Chicago and their fanbase

Wouldn't play for:

Eagles- hate everything about philly

Dallas- See philly

other than those 2 teams I wouldn't care where I play, it would be an incredible honor just to be in the league. Hell, I would rather play for the 0-16 Lions than not be in the league at all.

A Perfect Score
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Surprised to see lots of love for the Bears. I love the history as well, but I sure as **** wouldn't want to play for Lovie Smith.

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Surprised to see lots of love for the Bears. I love the history as well, but I sure as **** wouldn't want to play for Lovie Smith.

I've long run out of anti-Lovie Smith arguments. The players seem to love him and he manages to churn out enough success to stay afloat.

Is it possible to do better than him? Yeah. Is it likely? Doubtful.

AntoinCD
07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Who I'd like to play for:

1. New England Patriots - I'll get the obvious one (for a Pats fan anyway) out of the way first. They have been to 5 Superbowls in the last 11 years. Some teams haven't been to 5 Superbowls period. They win. That is the be all and end all of this situation. For any former player or potential player to say they don't like the atmosphere, how about you take off your dress, strap on a set and just go and play hard and win. I know I would prefer to go somewhere where the best player gets the shot. Loyalty isn't a factor. If you have to move on for the better of the team then move the hell on. Teams who give aging players that sign of "loyalty" are weak and poorly managed.

2. Green Bay Packers - How could you not love the history surrounding the Packers? You get to play in such an historic home field like Lambeau while competing for championships with one of the best rosters and coaching staffs around.

3. Dallas Cowboys - You want to be marketable then this is the place to do it. All due respect to Cowboys fans but they have been the definition of mediocrity for years yet they are still one of the top money making teams in all of sports. I'll go to Jerryworld.

4. New Orleans Saints - Who doesn't want to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras??? I just need to get me 10,000 bead necklaces.

Who I wouldn't like to play for:

1. New York Jets - Not simply because of the Pats/Jets rivalry. Think about it, you play in the New York market which is pretty intesne and you have a coach who for the last few years has added pressure to the team to perform. Not necessarily saying the Jets are a poorly run team, because they aren't, but they are the little brother in New York and seem to only hit the headlines for the wrong reasons.

2. St Louis Rams - The Rams haven't been well run since the Greatest Show on Turf and they were that good thanks to a few Hall of Famers on offense. They must have one of the worst bust rates for first round picks of the last decade. They don't know if they're staying in StL, going to LA, going to London. Not a good place to set up.

3. Oakland Raiders - This is more of a shot at the previous management side under Al Davis, but being nice about it he has left them in the ****. The last few years of Davis' life has probably put a tarnish on his overall legacy and that goes to show how bad it was because he was a legend in the game. But since the Superbowl at the start of the century they have been on an unparralleled spiral of turmoil. Poor draft picks, poor trades, poor contracts to aging players, poor coaching selections. Pretty much poor everything.

BigBlueNorwegian
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I would most like to play for:

New York Giants (Favorite team, plus it is a first class organization who generally treats all their players with respect and gratitude)

Green Bay Packers (Seems like a great organization, with a good fanbase)

Baltimore Ravens (Like them as an organization, and I would love to have Ray Lewis as a teammate)

Denver Broncos (Sounds like a cool city(I have friends that live there), and Peyton as a teammate)

Teams I wouldn't want to play for

Philadelphia Eagles (For countless reasons)

Jacksonville Jaguars (Seems like such a dysfunctional franchise)

Oakland Raiders (Same as Jaguars, only even worse)

Although I have to say, I would probably accept any offer to play the sport I love, and get paid handsomely so to do it. Even if I had to play for the Eagles (ugh).

Splat
07-23-2012, 01:48 PM

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/Splat420/PsychOMGGIF.gif

Cigaro
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Would Play For;
1. Panthers- Homer pick.
2. Patriots- Who knows how they will fair without Belicheck, but that departure does not seem imminent, and this organization simply knows how to compete.
3. Packers- So much history, and even currently they are successful.
4. 49ers- This was a tossup with the Steelers, but I know I would prefer living in California than Pennsylvania. For same reasoning as Packers.

Just missed: Steelers, Bears, Broncos, Giants

Wouldn't Play For;
1. Browns- I have family in northern Ohio, and have been to Cleveland once or twice. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that place, not its current talent, not its history, not its city. That place just sucks.
2. Jaguars- I actually know a decent number of people from Jacksonville, and have been there a few times. I actually really like the city. However, their fan support just doesn't suffice and a move is inevitable IMO, something I wouldn't want to be a part of.
3. Eagles- Ungrateful bastards.

Just Missed: Raiders, Bills, Lions, Bengals, Rams

fear the elf
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
1. Browns- I have family in northern Ohio, and have been to Cleveland once or twice. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that place, not its current talent, not its history, not its city. That place just sucks.

No sir, you suck. That is all.

A Perfect Score
07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I've never been to Cleveland, but dear god that place must suck. I can't think of any other American city that catches as much flak as Cleveland.

BeerBaron
07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I've never been to Cleveland, but dear god that place must suck. I can't think of any other American city that catches as much flak as Cleveland.

At least it's not Detroit.

jrdrylie
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Cleveland doesn't suck nearly as much as it did 20 years ago. It still sucks, but it is about 10 times better than it was and 50 times better than Detroit.

Hurricanes25
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Would play for:

1. New York Jets- Homer pick, hometown crowd.

2. New York Giants- Hometown crowd, classy organization, and I would love to play for Coughlin.

3. San Diego Chargers- Beautiful weather.

Would not want to play for:

1. Cleveland Browns- "There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that place, not its current talent, not its history, not its city." -Cigaro

2. Philadelphia Eagles- I don't like the city.

3. New England Patriots- This has nothing to do with me being a Jets fan. I just simply don't like Bill. I know his players are pretty loyal but he just seems like a dick.

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2012, 03:02 PM

I hear pretty much the same crap about the city of Oakland to be honest...

PackerLegend
07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Would want to play for

Green Bay Packers - My team, my state, history, great stadium and unqiue fan ownership.

Kansas City Chiefs - great stadium, fans and remind me alot of my own team in ways.

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Wouldnt want to play for

Minnesota Vikings - Besides the fact I hate them, they lack history and trophies. Plus I think the owner is kind of a douche.

Detriot Lions - See above, I dont think their owner is a douche but he hasnt had much luck getting guys to help build a solid organization until now.

Dallas Cowboys - Jerry Jones enough said

Pats, Jets, Browns, Jags, Colts

WCH
07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Would Want to Play For

Packers: Homer pick, but I also love their history and tradition.

Raiders: Again, I love their history, their tradition, and their fans. Even when they suck, they've almost got a mystique about them that very few teams can match. I've always been a closet-Raider fan.

Patriots: Everything BB said.

Dolphins: I like the city of Miami.

Would NOT Want to Play For

Lions: I'm from Michigan and I left for a reason. I've spent time in Detroit and it's as bad as people claim. If they were Super Bowl favorites and offered me above market value, I'd still go someplace else.

Browns: No explanation needed.

Cowboys: I Hate The Dallas Cowboys (http://www.amazon.com/Hate-Dallas-Cowboys-Elected-Americas/dp/0312168683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343076395&sr=8-1&keywords=i+hate+the+dallas+cowboys). The Cowboys fans on here are great and I don't want to offend them, but that book was written for people like me. It was on my night stand for quite a long time. I'm still upset about the 1995 NFCCG.

Notredameleo
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Would play for:
Lions-Homer pick.
Patriots-hate the team, but the ownership and coach are amazing.
Steelers- Great history.
Denver/Seattle-Just love the cities.

Not Play For:
Packers-hate them
Bears-hate them more
Jaguars-I would like fans to see me play.

kalbears13
07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
I've been to cleveland probably a dozen or so times and it's always fun, but the only time I'm actually in the city is to watch a sports event. Most of the time I'm in the suburbs partying.

Thecollegedropout
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Teams I want to play for:

NY Jets(Homer pick but I love Rex Ryan in general and would love to play for him. If Schotty was around obviously I'd turn the other way as an offensive guy but I'd love to play under Rexy.)

San Diego(You'd think Im crazy with the management under there but that team is just a few set pieces away from a HUGE run. If I am a FA, I feel I can be that guy to finally get them over the hump and by doing so, I can help set a really good legacy for the Bolts franchise and hungry fans. Add beautiful weather for the most part and no crazy weather conditions and this would be sweet. Turner/Smith have 1 more year at best anyhow so no harm, no foul if they go.)

Washington(Harder to find much more dedicated, loyal fans than in DC. Great fanbase who will love or hate you respectively and a team that again is a few things away from going on a sweet run. Nevermind Snyder giving me a sweet load of cash, add a proven SB winning coach to the mix and its a nice spot)

Need time to think of a 4th one....

Cleveland(The way they handled Quinn proved they have little to no patience for their young players that they took with a high pick. Just seems like a terrible situation for any QB to try and fit in. They do handle their defense well and their OLine too but it seems to be a problem there with the "Star" players.

I am an huge ND guy so I follow where Irish alumni go and how they are treated. If I was a player, I'd have gone to ND if they wanted me. Nearly put Carolina on here for how they scapegoated Clausen for being the reason they stunk two years ago too.)

Minnesota: There's just nothing exciting about this team at all. No idea if they stay in one place or if they will go to LA, have a big problem with their offense at the moment, their defense outside of Allen and very few other set pieces look vulnerable and they of course play in a rough division with 3 very, very good teams.)

St. Louis(Well if I am an offensive guy, I'd want nothing to do with this team because Schotty is a god awful offensive coordinator. He'd misuse me and then some. Add the team's uncertainty and this is a no brainer)

Thecollegedropout
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM

No he's a douche behind the scenes too. Lied to our former owner(RIP Hess) and then bolted to the Pats by just leaving a scribbled up note napkin to the Jets saying he doesn't want to coach them.

Doesn't have the dignity to tell them to their face. Nevermind how he handled a Cleveland legend like Kosar in his Browns days.....BB is someone I don't care much for at all. Anyone who doesn't care enough to play by the rules is someone I don't want a part of.

BeerBaron
07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
No he's a douche behind the scenes too. Lied to our former owner(RIP Hess) and then bolted to the Pats by just leaving a scribbled up note napkin to the Jets saying he doesn't want to coach them.

Doesn't have the dignity to tell them to their face. Nevermind how he handled a Cleveland legend like Kosar in his Browns days.....BB is someone I don't care much for at all. Anyone who doesn't care enough to play by the rules is someone I don't want a part of.

http://i.imgur.com/UZBUl.jpg

Razor
07-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Awwwww, would you look at that. A Jets fan who doesn't like BB because he's still butthurt over BB not wanting to coach the Jets.

I totally get why fans of other teams don't want to play for BB. If all you see is his press conferences and such he comes of as someone who'd rather not be there. But if you follow the team closely you'll see that BB is genuinely liked by everyone around the team. His players love him which I think says a lot about him as a person. Even in retirement or when they move on they are very loyal and has only nice things to say. Of course there are a few exceptions (Seymour comes to mind), but BB don't care who you are. No one is bigger than the team, and if he sees a deal he likes he's going to take it. That goes for everyone, including Tom Brady. It's no secret that the NFL is a business. NFL players always say that when they're holding out, but somehow forgets it when they're getting cut or traded. If I were a player the Patriots would be at the top of my wishlist. Here's why:

I like winning. Even when I was young, playing soccer, I would hold everyone accountable - even my coaches. If we lost a game I would by pissed off to the core and impossible to speak with right after. That's my type of personality. I hate losing more than pretty much everything else. In NE winning is all that matters, and even if they win they know they can get better. That would suit me very well as a person. Being coached by a legendary coach and having a supremely classy organization running the show just adds to how much I'd like to play there.

Other teams that I'd like to play for:
Carolina Panthers
San Francisco 49ers
New York Giants

Teams that I wouldn't like to play for:
New York Jets
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos

Thecollegedropout
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Awwwww, would you look at that. A Jets fan who doesn't like BB because he's still butthurt over BB not wanting to coach the Jets.
Awwww, would you look at that. A Patriots fan not only putting the Jets No.1 on teams he would not play for but also defending BB and his cowardly departure of his 1 day stint as Jets coach.

I just don't care much at all for how he left. You can't tell me him leaving behind a scribbled up napkin to a soon dying owner isn't lame. Add his whole handshake routine problems with Mangini and how he starts doing his best Solid Snake impressions anytime Tom Coughlin tries to look for him after the Super Bowl and its more than just his press conferences that makes him so unlikable.

I didn't list the Pats in the 3 teams I'd not want to play for because I can put bias aside and admit they have a good thing going up there. Just there's no mistake Belichick has quite a bit of problems and will play up to his players like all coaches do. Even a once tough Coughlin turned softer and much more player friendly as he progressed in his Giants coaching tenure.

PoopSandwich
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't get all the heat for Cleveland as a city, especially with the new Casino... I was there just last week and the city felt alive and was a **** load of fun.

I do however understand why no one would want to play here, we have sucked for a long time.

BeerBaron
07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Mike Tomlin getting extended by the Steelers today further backs up arguments for them. Gotta love that kind of continuity.

Rosebud
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't want to play for the Browns because Cleveland is god awful, I wouldn't play for the Iggles because a lot of Philly fans are disgusting human beings and I wouldn't play for Jacksonville.

I don't get all the heat for Cleveland as a city

Stockholm or Battered-wife syndrome?

FlyingElvis
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
The obvious:
Patriots - Hometown team. Decades of suck that I grew up with now replaced with a decade of awesomeness. Yes, BB is a business oriented coach and will cut you early rather than pay you big money for dimishing returns, but that's not exactly relevant in this scenario. It's also overshadowed by the fact that you'll compete every single season for a ring. Not many organizations can offer that.

Packers - Clearly a team w/an excellent FO. Storied franchise that's owned by the (incredible) fans. What's not to like?

Stillers - Again, storied franchise with a raucous fanbase and a consitent run as the top contender for their division. Another team that is excellent at building a franchise, which is key.

Cowboys - As much as I hate them, nobody can argue the history, fan support, and willingness to go for broke JJ shows every year. Coaching carosel and Romo's ability to win when it matters most would scare me, but in this scenario I'm going to go ahead and say I'm the blue chip QB that puts that talented roster over the top.

Do not want!:
Bengals - Ownership. Cheap. as. ****. 'nuf said.

Jets - I love Rex as the coach of a bitter rival. Honestly, though, it's been said well enough already: this is the easy-to-overlook ugly sister / stepchild. No thanks.

Chargers - As long as AJ Smith is there practicing his general douchebaggery, I'd want no part of it. Fans are mediocre, coaching staff is mediocre, really the only thing that's not mediocre is the QB and the weather.

Spot on. He got burned by his lack of media savvy and responded by being the monotone, anti-soundbite, "It is what it is" guy the media now loves to vilify.

Honestly what spurred this was a conversation on sports talk radio. Josh Miller former punter for both the Steelers and the Patriots was talking about locker room chemistry as it regards to the Pirates currently.

While talking about it he started to go over the differences between a good locker room experience (The Steelers) and a poor one (The Pats). He went on for a good 15 minutes and explained it was great to win a Super Bowl but that the locker room chemistry for the Pats was abysmal compared to the other teams he had been on.

He even later went on to talk about how people were afraid of just getting cut and things along those lines. Like I said in my post all they do is win but I would not want to be part of that organization if that is how the players feel.

A kicker? Really? A ******* KICKER??!!! :point:

(you know I <3 you, but honestly, A KICKER?)

ImBrotherCain
07-24-2012, 03:33 PM
A kicker? Really? A ******* KICKER??!!! :point:

(you know I <3 you, but honestly, A KICKER?)

That is what prompted the discussion. All in all he had no bearing on my decisions only confirmed what I has suspected.

descendency
07-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm really disappointed no one mentioned teams that always overpay players.

PoopSandwich
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't want to play for the Browns because Cleveland is god awful, I wouldn't play for the Iggles because a lot of Philly fans are disgusting human beings and I wouldn't play for Jacksonville.

Stockholm or Battered-wife syndrome?

You hate Cleveland more than anyone on this board and I don't get it. I grew up in the area, I've been to nicer cities but the sports location of Cleveland is fine. It's not like it has insane night life but it's not the **** hole you make it out to be.

bearsfan_51
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I would like to play for the team that gave me the most money. I would not like to play for the team that gave me the least money.

I got bills, son.

Brothgar
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I would like to play for the team that gave me the most money. I would not like to play for the team that gave me the least money.

I got bills, son.

What kind of bills would you have that even league minimum (100k) wouldn't cure?

NotRickJames
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Oakland

HM - Jacksonville

Reason I say that is J'Ville has so little in the way history that it'd be awesome to be the guy who 'puts them on the map' so to speak - assuming I'm a star player

Teams I wouldn't want to play for - AFC West rivals, Jets, Eagles, Steelers and Patriots.

Any other team I wouldn't mind.

CashmoneyDrew
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
[
1. Tennessee: Easy, homer pick. Plus, TH and Drew would have my jersey.

I don't believe in jerseys, but I would make an exception for you!

Brothgar
07-25-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think I could ever delude myself enough to imagine being a player but if I were to ever get awesome at scouting enough to work for an organization...

1. New England Patriots - Darth Hoodie would be amazing to work for I feel. Just the shear amount I'd learn about how football is done right by being a member of that organization would be amazing.

2. Philadelphia Eagles - Fans suck for the most part. But outside of that the city is much better than people give it credit for specially when you include Manayunk, and the suburbs. Plus Andy Reid is another great mind that I would want to learn from.

3. Baltimore Ravens - A team that is loyal to its players and drafts the right way. Knows how to select coaches.

I WOULDN'T want to work for...

Dallas - Having an overlord as GM and Owner would suck so much ass. You can't say hey its your fault or strive to be the GM if you build well.

Cleveland - Noone wants to go there thus there is no talent.

NY Jets - The NY Media would eat me alive.

Complex
07-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Like to play for:
Titans - Duh, who wouldn't want to play for a future dynasty?
Miami- Hot chicks,nice weather and I can go watch the hurricanes and heat play.
Jets- I like Rex Ryan and would be fun to play for him and live in NY.
San Francisco or San Diego - can't decide.

Would not play for

Cleveland - I hate their uniforms really hate plus its Cleveland
Cincinnati - Their owner
NE - Bill Belicheck and the weather

wogitalia
07-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Position you play probably matters on this but I'll assume I'm a line backer so it matters little as opposed to going offense where team philosophy would be an issue..

I'm also assuming that we have to "live" there in the offseason.

Teams I'd Like to Play For

Miami - Location, location. Good weather and all that goes with it. I'm an NFL player, I may as well live somewhere I want to!

San Diego - Again, weather is great, cool uniforms and are generally pretty good.

New Orleans - Cool city, cool team, cool uniforms and extra money available for bounties ;)

Dallas - Just to play at the stadium, the spare no expense attitude of the team and the prestige.

Teams I wouldn't want to play for

Minnesota - Miserable weather, **** stadium and we are just an awfully run franchise... Also may or may not be cursed...

Cleveland - I can't think of any good reason to want to play or live there. They've been awful forever.

Buffalo - Just has no appeal to me just such a nothing franchise right now.

scottyboy
07-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I'd play for the Giants obviously, after that, it's a mix. I love teams like the Steelers and Chiefs because of the fans. KC's homecrowd is NUTS and I'd love to have a few thousand terrible towels being waved around for me. Plus, the Steeler organization is ran so well. It's a shame I just hate the state of Pennsylvania. Bears are up there too for me as well as perhaps the niners with their history.

I wouldn't play for Dallas, the Jets or the Chargers. Mainly because of the fans (for the last 2) and I've been to Dallas a few times and just not my style

ImBrotherCain
07-25-2012, 08:00 AM

I got bills, son.

I was hoping to avoid money as reasons to play for a club. I mean it is a valid point but it was more about the coaches, front office/ owner, fans, history so on and so forth.

SuperMcGee
07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
If you played for Buffalo, you would have my undying love and probably a lot of free hard candy.

ImBrotherCain
07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
If you played for Buffalo, you would have my undying love and probably a lot of free hard candy.

The Bills were a honorable mention for me but thats because they were basically a home town team.

mdmgrand
07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
How many people have been to Green Bay? (And not during to a Packer game, in which the city transforms)

I just don't see why a city matters in professional sports. 95% of these cities that have professional teams are the flagship places of their state, which definitely is better than most college towns and hometowns of the players. And it is their job, I would move just about anywhere to get a better job offer.

rodgers 4 mvp
07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Teams I want to play for

Packers: Favorite Team
Chargers: Nice Weather
Texans: Great team

Teams I would not like to play for

Eagles: Have you ever scene parking wars?
Lions: Would never go to Detroit
Jets/Giants: Hate all the attention

Smooth Criminal
07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I would love to play for
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Green Bay
New York Giants

I'd hate to play for
Jacksonville
Minnesota
Cleveland
Seattle

All kinds of factors in both. Location, talent, and just overall quality of the organization. And Id always love to be a part of Pittsburgh and Baltimore so I'd love to play for either of them.

Smooth Criminal
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't get all the heat for Cleveland as a city, especially with the new Casino... I was there just last week and the city felt alive and was a **** load of fun.

I do however understand why no one would want to play here, we have sucked for a long time.

I've spent a bunch of weekends around and in Cleveland cause of my friends from Osu. Casino is great, nice bars, better downtown area than I expected.

I just hate the weather and the losing.

America
07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Washington Redskins! Dan Synder, gimme dat paper!

Pat Sims 90
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Place would like to play

Cincinnati/Cleveland- Would love to play in home state.
Washington- Just because Synder loves to overpay players.
New Orleans- Amazing City
New England- Winning Tradition and City is not too bad.

Would Hate to Play

New York Jets/Giants- Would hate to live in New York City or Jersey.
Green Bay Packers- City Sucks.
Pittsburgh Steelers- Majority of the fans are assholes.
Dallas Cowboys- Too many annoying fans.

Halsey
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I'd play ball for any team, but all things being equal, I'd want to help a team win its first championship. It'd be great to help the Steelers or Giants win a Super Bowl, but I'd rather help an organization like the Lions, Browns, Falcons, etc win their first.

Rosebud
07-29-2012, 12:19 AM
You hate Cleveland more than anyone on this board and I don't get it. I grew up in the area, I've been to nicer cities but the sports location of Cleveland is fine. It's not like it has insane night life but it's not the **** hole you make it out to be.

**** Ohio in general, and **** cleveland in particular for being the terrible, boring and miserable bane of the american experience that it is.

diabsoule
07-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd like to play for:

1. New Orleans Saints
2. Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Baltimore Ravens

I would not want to play for:

1. Cleveland Browns
2. Oakland Raiders
3. New York Jets

Outside of that, I wouldn't really care who I played for since I would be getting straight cash, homey