PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com's preseason power rankings

49ersfan_87
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82acb6e7/article/preseason-power-rankings-packers-pace-contenders?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

Not ranked from 1-32, there are instead 6 tiers: Top Shelf, Next level, Contenders, Not sold, Searching for mediocrity, and bottom feeders.

The biggest surprise? The Chiefs listed in the 2nd tier, essentially being listed as a top 8 team in the NFL.

jrdrylie
07-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, there is no way the Chiefs should be that high. I could see them being listed as contenders. But a top-eight squad is kind of high. And Seattle is rated in the third tier but I think they are worse than all four of the teams in tier four.

vidae
07-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm a giant Chiefs homer and even I think that's too high. I gotta say though, the way this team is being built is a god send compared to what we had in 2008/2009.

edit: They say that it wouldn't be surprising to see any of the second level teams in the Super Bowl but I'd be shocked if the Chiefs made it that far, honestly shocked. I think the Chiefs can make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game, but I don't think we can hang with the Patriots or Ravens of the NFL yet, not with Matt Cassel at QB.

Ness
07-25-2012, 04:39 PM
I think everyone would be shocked if the Chiefs made it that far, unless you're the person that wrote that article I guess.

vidae
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
So many people in the comments are raaaaaaaaging hard.

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 04:46 PM
#1 Chief's homer here! They have a great team, their defense is solid from top to bottom, they have some great weapons from Cassel to throw too and have arguably the best running back duo in the league. Even with Cassel at QB, i heavily fancy them for their division. That to me, would make them a top 10 team.

vidae
07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
#1 Chief's homer here! They have a great team, their defense is solid from top to bottom, they have some great weapons from Cassel to throw too and have arguably the best running back duo in the league. Even with Cassel at QB, i heavily fancy them for their division. That to me, would make them a top 10 team.

I knew I liked you.

But #1 Chiefs homer? That title clearly belongs to nepg!

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I knew I liked you.

But #1 Chiefs homer? That title clearly belongs to nepg!

Does he think they're going to the superbowl?

vidae
07-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Does he think they're going to the superbowl?

Every single year.

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Every single year.

Dammit! Oh well, i'm #2 then.

Ness
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Kansas City has a few difficult games in the first few weeks. At least most of them are at home.

FUNBUNCHER
07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Just confirms what I already knew, the SKins have one of the toughest schedules in the NFL this season.
Saints/Steelers/Ravens/Giantsx2/Eaglesx2/Dallasx2/Bengals/Panthers/Falcons.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/091/067/Griffin-Redskins-Salute_display_image.jpg
RGIII+Redskins = PLAYOFFS!!!

Splat
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
It would be true if the Chiefs had a QB... They are pretty much set everywhere else.

SuperMcGee
07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
"Not sold" is fair. There's a good amount of expectation on what is believed to be a pretty easy schedule. A lot of questions between Fitz, health, scheme, and rookies in prominent roles. We've also yet to prove any sort of winning atmosphere. All I know is I'm excited to see what happens.

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I had to make more groups, so that it would work.

Top Shelf - Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans.

Next level - San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears.

Definite Contenders - Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions.

Possible Contenders - Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers.

Not Sold - Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins.

Searching for mediocrity - Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams.

Bottom Feeders - Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts.

Blaine Gabbert - Jacksonville Jaguars

Bulldogs
07-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I had to make more groups, so that it would work.

Top Shelf - Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans.

Next level - San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears.

Definite Contenders - Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions.

Possible Contenders - Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers.

Not Sold - Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins.

Searching for mediocrity - Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams.

Bottom Feeders - Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts.

Blaine Gabbert - Jacksonville Jaguars

http://i.imgur.com/6t0PD.gif

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6t0PD.gif

Hahaha, I wasn't expecting people to like it!

Knicks and Bucs
07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Huh...

I would go something like this...

TOP SHELF: Packers, Ravens, Pats, Giants, Bears, Steelers, Saints
NEXT LEVEL: Eagles, 49ers, Broncos, Cowboys, Texans
CONTENDERS: Jets, Titans, Lions, Chargers, Falcons, Seahawks
NOT SOLD: Bucs, Bengals, Cardinals, Chiefs, Bills
SEARCHING FOR MEDIOCRITY: Raiders, Rams, Redskins, Panthers, Colts
BOTTOMFEEDERS: Jaguars, Vikings, Dolphins, Browns

NOLAFan
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I think the Eagles should go somewhere between contenders and not sold. They showed flashes last year but were inconsistent. This year i could see them in a race with the Giants for the East.

I will say though that the Cowboys belong in not sold on both list

SuperPacker
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I really like what Dallas have done this off-season. Morris Claiborne is still my favourite pick of the draft and with Brandon Carr next too him they have significantly improved their secondary.

On offense they'll have DeMarco Murray for a whole season (in games he had 20+ touches, they went 5-0), Danny Coale can be their 3rd/slot receiver and I think Romo will be more consistent with less pressure on him, because of the defense playing better.

Mufasa
07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
First
1. Packers
2. Patriots

Second
3. Texans
4. Steelers
5. Bears
6. Saints
7. 49ers

Third
8. Ravens
9. Giants
10. Lions
11. Eagles
12. Chiefs
13. Broncos

Fourth
14. Falcons
15. Cowboys

Fifth
16. Bills
17. Seahawks
18. Bengals

Sixth
19. Panthers
20. Chargers
21. Titans
22. Jets

Seventh
23. Redskins
24. Cardinals
25. Raiders

Eighth
26. Browns
27. Buccaneers
28. Vikings
29. Colts
30. Dolphins
31. Rams

Ninth
32. Jaguars

WCH
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I really like what Dallas have done this off-season. Morris Claiborne is still my favourite pick of the draft and with Brandon Carr next too him they have significantly improved their secondary.

On offense they'll have DeMarco Murray for a whole season (in games he had 20+ touches, they went 5-0), Danny Coale can be their 3rd/slot receiver and I think Romo will be more consistent with less pressure on him, because of the defense playing better.

Murray looked damn good, but a part of me dies every time I see a statistic like this. Teams run when they win, they don't win because they run. Winning teams usually accumulate carries because they're running out the clock at the end of wins.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2003/establishment-clause

SuperPacker
07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Murray looked damn good, but a part of me dies every time I see a statistic like this. Teams run when they win, they don't win because they run. Winning teams usually accumulate carries because they're running out the clock at the end of wins.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2003/establishment-clause

Dammit WCH! Yeah, you're right. But I stand by what I said!

Job Reborn
07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Why don't the Giants ever get any love? I mean they won the super bowl twice in five years yet both times they get treated like a middle of the pack team who got lucky.

vidae
07-26-2012, 09:45 PM
i think it's hilarious that anyone thinks the chargers are a playoff team in a not-garbage-west.

I do too. They dominated the West for so long because the other teams just had no talent. Now that the other teams are getting stronger it's showing just how mediocre they were the entire time.

Ness
07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Why don't the Giants ever get any love? I mean they won the super bowl twice in five years yet both times they get treated like a middle of the pack team who got lucky.

Because they didn't dominate the regular season. That's probably why.

Ness
07-27-2012, 01:18 AM
I do too. They dominated the West for so long because the other teams just had no talent. Now that the other teams are getting stronger it's showing just how mediocre they were the entire time.

Or their roster is just losing the talent they once had. But from circa 2004 to 2009 they were a pretty good team and didn't just falter when they went up against top competition outside their division. Even if your division isn't very good, it's still easy to tell if your team is fraud or not when you play the better teams.

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Because they didn't dominate the regular season. That's probably why.

The 2008 Giants proved that 2007 wasn't a fluke and I somewhat expect more of the same this year. We didn't dominate the regular season because we played a tough schedule and half our team was hurt for a good while.

nepg
07-27-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't know. I think it's fair to put the Chiefs in either the second or third tier of that list for expectations. They added some guys, but most of the core roster has been together for awhile now. It's the kind of team that could easily break out and become a top tier team this year. The roster has everything. They can play any style of football in any given week and the coaching staff is all about gameplanning and adjustments. So there's a lot of synergy there.

I don't have too many problems with the list. I think having Baltimore at the top is kind of odd with all of the factors that team has up in the air.

KCStud
08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
The Chiefs have such a stacked team. It's a shame that the most important position is the weakest.
Chiefs will have a top 10 rushing attack and a top 10 defense. Add to that a pair of solid OT's, Dwayne Bowe, Jonathan Baldwin. Wow.

Even with Cassel KC could reach the 2nd tier, if everything goes perfectly for them.

jsagan77
08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
The 2008 Giants proved that 2007 wasn't a fluke and I somewhat expect more of the same this year. We didn't dominate the regular season because we played a tough schedule and half our team was hurt for a good while.

The Giants have a brutal schedule and are known to play down to their opponents during the regular season. That's why I'll be shocked if they make the playoffs...

Rosebud
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
The Giants have a brutal schedule and are known to play down to their opponents during the regular season. That's why I'll be shocked if they make the playoffs...

Doesn't the one phrase contradict the other? If the giants play to their competition, would having a more brutal schedule mean the giants were far less likely to **** the bed?

Giantsfan1080
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I've never seen anyone disprove themselves so bad. Also we had the same tough schedule in 2008 and went on a win streak beating 7 or 8 teams in a row that all had a record over .500 which was one of the only NFL teams in history to do so.

robert pancake gallery
08-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Tier 1 (0-0 Teams)

Washington
Philadelphia
Dallas
NY Giants
Detroit
Green Bay
Minnesota
Chicago
New Orleans