PDA

View Full Version : The Official Training Camp thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ness
07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Might as well have a separate thread for photos and reports. Here is a summary of the 49ers first practice. Crabtree injured his ankle. I can't believe going into his fourth season he has still yet to play in a preseason game and complete a training camp without either getting hurt or some business matter getting in the way.

Summary: Receiver Michael Crabtree came up hobbling with an apparent right ankle injury and sat out the final 20 minutes of the 49ers' first full-squad practice of training camp. Crabtree walked gingerly off the field and into the locker room at the conclusion of the 2-hour, 20-minute practice. He did not have his ankle wrapped. Crabtree has never played in an exhibition game in three previous seasons with the 49ers. He missed all of training camp as a rookie in a contract stalemate. The next year, he missed most of camp with a neck injury. Last year, he missed training camp after undergoing offseason foot surgery. Up to the point he came off the field, Crabtree had a good practice as the team's starting flanker opposite of Randy Moss.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-camp-727-Crabtree-hobbled-?blockID=747491&feedID=5936

Splat
07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/236450/chiefs-3-acl-patients-all-cleared-to-practice

Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, and Tony Moeaki all passed their physicals to open Chiefs training camp and have been medically cleared to practice.

It's a terrific sign for a team that lost a large chunk of its talent base after Charles, Berry, and Moeaki all suffered September ACL tears. They've each had ample time to recover and progressed free of setbacks. The silver lining to Kansas City's forgettable 2011 season was that Charles, Berry, and Moeaki will all be nearly a full year removed from the ACL injuries when the 2012 season begins. Charles will be worth monitoring closely during the preseason. He's battling Peyton Hillis for snaps, and possibly a starting job.

In bold haha.

With Dwayne Bowe officially holding out, 2011 first-round pick Jonathan Baldwin opened Chiefs training camp as a starter opposite Steve Breaston.

"His weight is down," coach Romeo Crennel observed of Baldwin. "He's in great shape. He's got a good attitude. I anticipate he will have a good year going forward." Baldwin also got first-team reps in spring practices, and would start if Bowe missed regular season games. We just don't see that happening.

WCH
07-27-2012, 11:00 PM
"[Jamaal Charles is] battling Peyton Hillis for snaps, and possibly a starting job."

What is this I don't even...

descendency
07-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Apparently Dont'a Hightower "rerouted" Wes Welker up field about 5 yards today.

I hope he knows Welker is kind of small and pretty important to this team... please don't break him!

vidae
07-28-2012, 01:42 AM
"[Jamaal Charles is] battling Peyton Hillis for snaps, and possibly a starting job."

What is this I don't even...

It's the same approach they had when Thomas Jones was here. It kept Charles fresh and he ran for over 1400 yards at an insane 6.4 ypc average. I don't mind Hillis taking the beating instead of Charles, I'll tell you that much.

General Zod
07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
A funny tweet from Chris Kluwe today...

Chris Kluwe‏@ChrisWarcraft

I would like to apologize to anyone that was at practice and saw my throw during the fake punt. I Tebow'd the **** out of that one.

Matthew Jones
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
It looks like the Patriots are going to be running more four-man fronts. It seems like Trevor Scott and Rob Ninkovich have been starting on the ends, with Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette rotating in. Brandon Deaderick was seen exclusively at defensive tackle (second team) behind Kyle Love and Vince Wilfork, who is supposedly looking much slimmer. Jonathan Fanene saw almost all of his work at defensive tackle.

Right now Kyle Arrington appears ahead of Ras-I Dowling on the depth chart, but when the Patriots go into their sub package, Dowling plays on the outside, with Arrington in the slot.

Other than that, Bobby Carpenter has been seeing a lot of playing time in the sub packages along with Dane Fletcher.

Offensively, Tom Brady, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, and Aaron Hernandez seem like the standouts.

Dan Koppen has been getting a lot of work as the starting center.

scottyboy
07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Giants running deep at linebacker

Boley-Blackburn-Kiwnuka

Rivers-Herzlich-Williams.

Me likey

Pat Sims 90
07-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Marvin Lewis has banned players for using twitter during Training Camp.

SuperMcGee
07-28-2012, 12:40 PM
It looks like the Patriots are going to be running more four-man fronts. It seems like Trevor Scott and Rob Ninkovich have been starting on the ends, with Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette rotating in. Brandon Deaderick was seen exclusively at defensive tackle (second team) behind Kyle Love and Vince Wilfork, who is supposedly looking much slimmer. Jonathan Fanene saw almost all of his work at defensive tackle.

I always wanted Scott to be successful, and I fear that it might actually happen under BB.

Fitzpatrick seems really in sync, so far. Pads don't come on until tonight, though. Gilmore against Stevie seems to be the most interesting matchup. Glenn vs. Hairston at LT is the most intriguing competition, for sure. Hoping Glenn doesn't make a habit of struggling with the likes of Chris Kelsay.

brat316
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
oh man. lets goooo

gpngc
07-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Kevin Kolb just throwing picks like an idiot.

Knicks and Bucs
07-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Kevin Kolb just throwing picks like an idiot.

Hey I'd like to see you go out there and throw a pass. I bet you would do worse than kevin kolb. All you do is sit on your fatass and talk **** so go and do it you worthless piece of **** oh and by the way nice SN you stupid mother ******.

Giantsfan1080
07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey I'd like to see you go out there and throw a pass. I bet you would do worse than kevin kolb. All you do is sit on your fatass and talk **** so go and do it you worthless piece of **** oh and by the way nice SN you stupid mother ******.

Mrs. Kolb?

Knicks and Bucs
07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
No, I am a Jets fan not a bucs fan. The bucs indeed suck donkey balls like the other teams. The jets are truely number one. We own NYC not the ******* vagiantas. If you want to ban me go free mr. webmaster. Ban my ass straight from this thread. If you have the hair that is.

scottyboy
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
man, I wish I was a teenager again. This kid's just living it up

Brothgar
07-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Matt any news on Marcus Cannon?

Brothgar
07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
No, I am a Jets fan not a bucs fan. The bucs indeed suck donkey balls like the other teams. The jets are truely number one. We own NYC not the ******* vagiantas. If you want to ban me go free mr. webmaster. Ban my ass straight from this thread. If you have the hair that is.

http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/post/boxxy_trollin.jpg

Ness
07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Apparently undrafted free agent Nathan Palmer was blowing it up at camp yesterday alongside Moss. I think he was getting some praise in mini camps too. Hmmm....

Pat Sims 90
07-28-2012, 06:21 PM
As of now Brandon Tate is playing opposite Green.

Newman is playing opposite Hall with injuries to Clements and Kirkpatrick.

Carlos Dunlap is also rolling with the 1st team.

49ersfan_87
07-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Apparently undrafted free agent Nathan Palmer was blowing it up at camp yesterday alongside Moss. I think he was getting some praise in mini camps too. Hmmm....

Barrows was asked which WR's stood out besides Moss. His answer? Not Crabtree, Manningham, or the 1st rounder Jenkins, but Palmer.

Yes, Nathan Palmer @RealNaPalm looked good... ritz245552 other than moss were they any other standouts at WR yesterday?

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/229307930057506816

I've been on his bandwagon since May, come on Palmer!

Ness
07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Barrows was asked which WR's stood out besides Moss. His answer? Not Crabtree, Manningham, or the 1st rounder Jenkins, but Palmer.

Yeah I think I saw your post on the official board.

DoughBoy
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Zach Brown looked amazing today per reports. Our LBer core is gunna be so sexy one day.

vidae
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Zach Brown looked amazing today per reports. Our LBer core is gunna be so sexy one day.

Yeah, but how is Justin Gage doing?

DoughBoy
07-28-2012, 09:08 PM
He was traded to the Chiefs for all da picks.

TACKLE
07-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Sergio Kindle did 'exceptionally well' today and had his 'best practice ever'.

Kindle for DPOY.

Hines
07-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Chris Rainey looks like a midget next to all the other RBs, but he's making fans and teammates say "oooohhhhh aaaaahhhh".

Emmanuel Sanders tearing **** up. Huge year for him. I see him as a breakout regardless of Wallace or not. If he's healthy, he's going to put up numbers. He's going against Ike a lot in practice.

Willie Colon is still smashing faces. Can't wait to see him at guard. DeCastro too.

gpngc
07-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Bobby Wagner is the starting Mike over Barrett Ruud. Not gonna lie I'm a little surprised.

But that's good.

Apparently all three QBs looked skittish on the first day. ******* great.

I wish we still just had Hasselbeck.

phlysac
07-29-2012, 12:02 AM

You have to wonder under what circumstances these UDFA's that always shine in practice are being looked at my beatniks.

Video on NFLN showed route exercises being thrown by the QBs, and those catching passes were Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Ginn, and VDavis. Guys like Palmer, Jenkins, and Tyms weren't even participating.

Ness
07-29-2012, 01:23 AM
You have to wonder under what circumstances these UDFA's that always shine in practice are being looked at my beatniks.

Video on NFLN showed route exercises being thrown by the QBs, and those catching passes were Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Ginn, and VDavis. Guys like Palmer, Jenkins, and Tyms weren't even participating.

Well pads go on tomorrow, so everyone will be suited up. I'd be surprised if praise was given to Palmer to warrant being written about unless he spent a decent amount of time in practice drills.

descendency
07-29-2012, 05:50 AM

You could always call/beg Brett Favre... :evil_laugh:

Grizzlegom
07-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Tannehill's first practice today!!!

Bixby (Thumper)
07-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I read fluff pieces on Brandon Graham and Cliff Harris. Confirmed: It's training camp season.

Lets just get some games going. Can't. Wait.

VAfy-ya
07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
As of now Brandon Tate is playing opposite Green.

Newman is playing opposite Hall with injuries to Clements and Kirkpatrick.

Carlos Dunlap is also rolling with the 1st team.

No Sanu? From what I read from OTAs, he was a virtual lock to start TC opposite AJ. Heard he was a standout at WR, which really bummed me out because I really liked Marvin Jones alot more as a prospect.

XxXdragonXxX
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Bobby Wagner is the starting Mike over Barrett Ruud. Not gonna lie I'm a little surprised.

But that's good.

Not surprised at all by Wagner. They've been talking him up all offseason, and barret ruud sucks.

I've read good things about Flynn and Wilson on the first day. Jackson looked just bad as always.

I've also read good things about Bruce Irvin, apparently he beat every tackle he faced.

Also don't be surprised when Ricardo Lockette wins himself a starting job. He was running good routes, catching everything, and he is suuuuuper fast.

Bulldogs
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Doug Martin tearing up Bucs camp apparently. Trying to work his way onto my fantasy team.

Thecollegedropout
07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Jets Notes:

- Matt Slauson has been taking snaps at RT....possibly to offer more versatility and or to challenge Hunter at the spot. Supposedly Jets trying to make Vlad Ducasse work as a LG and are making the LG spot an open competition between Slauson and Ducasse.

- Antonio Cromartie being used as a WR. Maybe he will be used on some WR reverse plays or what not but its interesting.

- Jeremy Kerley supposedly has been called out by Rex Ryan in the public, possibly as a means to make the kid step his game up. Don't know if Kerley is slacking or Rex just thinks the world of him and that he isn't at what he thinks he can be at.

- WIDE OPEN battle for 2nd WR spot between Kerley, Chaz Schillens who is impressing(He needs to stay healthy to earn this IMO), Stephen Hill and Pat Turner(Who is doubtful here).

- Otah has 2 more days to get his ass in shape to pass a physical or else he's going back to Carolina.

- Revis is banged up but nothing really too serious. Laron Landry is on a "Pitch Count" or at least is being monitored with how many plays he gets but at least he's on the field which is a temporary sigh of relief.

- Sanchez has looked pretty darn good thus far and has done better than Tebow with the throwing if there was going to be any doubt on that one.

- Tony Sparano is getting rave reviews as the offensive coordinator and the media says he's been the most vocal and critical of Jets players if they mess up at all during practices, which is what the team needs. Maybe he's getting rave reviews because Schotty was just THAT bad but I am hopeful Sparano really gets this offense kicking.

One of our coaches, David DeGuglielmo also trying to rival Westoff in the LOLZ.

GLfQJXzBuPw
(Alot of Jets camp stuff from that user in fact)

uaBrLitMGh0

FUNBUNCHER
07-29-2012, 06:05 PM
How's Dontari Poe looking in Chiefs' TC??

MasterShake
07-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Jets Notes:

- Sanchez has looked pretty darn good thus far and has done better than Tebow with the throwing if there was going to be any doubt on that one.

]

There was doubt.

Pat Sims 90
07-29-2012, 07:06 PM
According to a Bengals beat writer Vontaze Burfict has been beastly in camp and turning a lot of heads.

LonghornsLegend
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
No Sanu? From what I read from OTAs, he was a virtual lock to start TC opposite AJ. Heard he was a standout at WR, which really bummed me out because I really liked Marvin Jones alot more as a prospect.

I personally liked Marvin Jones more but I think it's way too early to tell anything anyway. All they have been doing is practicing in shorts. Someone will start to seperate in camp, injuries happen, and while Sanu may be more pro ready then Jones right now I think Jones has the better career.

Splat
07-29-2012, 07:22 PM
How's Dontari Poe looking in Chiefs' TC??

I haven't heard much.

I know he isn't running with the starters yet but that isn't really a surprise at this point.

Pat Sims 90
07-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Right now. Sanu and Jones are the 3rd stringers.

VernonLawson89
07-29-2012, 08:40 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315362_10150946217766875_1585567117_n.jpg

Ness
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Napalm shines for the third straight day. Please be the next Rod Smith.

Rookie report: First-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins made a nice catch during a one-on-one session against physical coverage from cornerback Perrish Cox. . . Undrafted rookie receiver Nathan Palmer, however, was the standout rookie of the day. He turned around Carlos Rogers with an inside release to catch a pass during one-on-one drills. During 7-on-7, he beat Rogers and Donte Whitner to catch a pass from Scott Tolzien about 40 yards down the field. Working again against the first-team defense, he made a nice catch of a slightly off-target throw from Colin Kaepernick. But all was not perfect. Near the end of practice, Palmer reacted with frustration when he dropped a pass from Tolzien on a deep crossing crossing pattern.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-camp-summary-729-Justin-Smith-domi?blockID=748261&feedID=5936

Splat
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Via Rotoworld

Chiefs S Kyle McCarthy was carted off the practice field Saturday and is believed to have a significant knee injury.

McCarthy also suffered a major knee injury in 2010. "His knee doesn’t look good," said coach Romeo Crennel. "We’ll have to let the swelling go down and see where it leads us, but it’s one of those things in football that happens."

Not that he was key or anything but I still hate seeing this in TC. :(

Some other Chiefs tidbits.

Camp Notebook (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/Camp-Notebook-Donald-Stephenson-gets-early-test/ab7aa6db-cba5-4538-9aa4-e21d180a53a8)

Ness
07-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Andre Johnson pulled his groin. Will be out about a week.

Bixby (Thumper)
07-29-2012, 09:33 PM
- Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and DeSean Jackson are putting on their typical training camp shows. These four are just fast and athletic and they're meant for this type of a showcase, hopefully all four can put on a show when it's for real too. Some of the best match-ups have supposedly been between DRC and DeSean Jackson (blazing speed v.s. blazing speed).

- Cliff Harris has been one of the darlings of camp at cornerback but he's fighting an uphill battle because the Eagles already have Nnamdi and DRC as the starters with Joselio Hanson in the slot and rumor has it that Brandon Boykin is performing as well as any CB in camp so far and Curtis Marsh has been running with the ones when Nnamdi moves into the slot.

- Jason Avant should be an Eagle for life. This is a guy everyone wants on their roster. He's perfect for the slot receiver spot, he's tough, he has incredible hands and he runs routes like they're were drawn with a protractor. And on top of being great at what he does, he's a fantastic presence on the roster. When Riley Cooper broke his collar bone, Avant ran 50 yards downfield to see if he was okay. Jason Avant watched special teams drills and got on Marvin McNutt for touching an onside kick before it went 10 yards. And he praised Jeremy Stewart for finishing his runs instead of running out of bounds in practice. This guy should never leave the Eagles and after he's hung it up, he should be a coach. Great guy.

- Last year's draft class is really coming along. Danny Watkins has been dishing out some nice, hard servings of turf. And Jaiquawn Jarrett is playing like the physical safety he was touted as, laying a couple huge hits on LeSean McCoy today.

- Brandon Graham had a fantastic camp as a rookie and every beat reporter says that he's doing just as well now as he did back then. If Brandon Graham is healthy, that's a big boost to an already stacked defensive line.

- Jim Washburn yells and curses, a lot.

- DeMeco Ryans has taken this defense by the reigns. He took the leadership role right away.

- Jason Kelce has an AMAZING beard:
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2438697230/8qn0khhlutbc78kecmbq.jpeg

DoughBoy
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Jake Locker won the battle vs Hasselbeck tonight. Matt looked good, but Jake was throwing some absolute heat seeking missles out there and was really putting it where he wanted. On the negative side, Michael Roos and David Stewart made our DE's look like DIII players.

themaninblack
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Went to TC today. my thoughts:

-Vontaze Burfict had himself a good day, laying the wood on folk on more than one occasion.

-Armon Binns also looked like he belonged and Marvin Jones made a great catch along the sideline in 1 on 1s. AJ and Gresh both made some nice catches as well.

-I watched Taylor Mays run stride for stride with AJ Green on a 9 route. That was pretty darn impressive to me. Hope the kid finally figures it out because him and Nelson together could be great.

-Kevin Zeitler displayed good hands, feet, and explosion off the ball at both guard and center. Didn't see as much of him as I'd have liked but was impressed nonetheless. His versatility is a great thing to have in the event Kyle Cook can't play. Andre and Whit both looked good save for a few plays.

-Carlos Dunlap also had a good day, even beating Whitworth in team period on a few pass plays.

armageddon
07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Hearing Rams rookie CB Jenoris Jenkins is the real deal. Everybody just raves about him

SuperMcGee
07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
David Nelson has a strained tendon, so he's sitting for a little while. Puts 3rd-rounder TJ Graham running with the starters with Donald Jones shifted into the slot. I love the idea of him stretching the field for our offense, but he still has quite a bit to learn and Fitz is never going to be a master of the deep ball.

FUNBUNCHER
07-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't know how the Chiefs will do this season, but I don't know if any NFL team has more raw physical talent per position than they do.

I feel very similarly about the Bengals.
Maybe it's because they have a ton of guys with predraft name recognition, but as a rival fan it's depressing to see who's on their rosters.

Nate Palmer ran a 4.3 at his NIU pro day and had a 37 inch VJ. I think some NFL GMs are going to be called on how they let this guy pass without being drafted.

The Skins are hoping Aldrick Robinson and tiny-tot Brandon Banks can contribute at WR and eventually replace Moss, and there's an UDFA rookie WR in SF who's getting more shine than the starters(!).

Bruce Allen is a bum. Also Mike SHanahan needs to quit picking players and leave it to the professionals.

Hines
07-30-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't know how the Chiefs will do this season, but I don't know if any NFL team has more raw physical talent per position than they do.

I feel very similarly about the Bengals.
Maybe it's because they have a ton of guys with predraft name recognition, but as a rival fan it's depressing to see who's on their rosters.

Nate Palmer ran a 4.3 at his NIU pro day and had a 37 inch VJ. I think some NFL GMs are going to be called on how they let this guy pass without being drafted.

The Skins are hoping Aldrick Robinson and tiny-tot Brandon Banks can contribute at WR and eventually replace Moss, and there's an UDFA rookie WR in SF who's getting more shine than the starters(!).

Bruce Allen is a bum. Also Mike SHanahan needs to quit picking players and leave it to the professionals.

He needs to stop ******* around with his RBs for once and let Helu start and play!!!

Brothgar
07-30-2012, 12:37 AM
He needs to stop ******* around with his RBs for once and let Helu start and play!!!

Someone has Roy Helu on his fantasy team :D

Hines
07-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Someone has Roy Helu on his fantasy team :D

A rookie keeper. Ugh.

WCH
07-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Casey Hayward is looking like he could be a day-one starter in Green Bay. Bob McGinn said "Hayward has been the most impressive defensive back and overall rookie so far" for the Packers. The question is whether he can play outside, or if he's going to be strictly a slot guy.

Sam Shields continues to regress. He had a great rookie season (they don't win the Super Bowl without him); but once there was film of him, everybody figured out how to beat him.

TACKLE
07-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Hearing Rams rookie CB Jenoris Jenkins is the real deal. Everybody just raves about him

Best defensive player from this draft.

WCH
07-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Peter King tweeted that the Seahawks "QB race could go any of 3 ways. Russell Wilson absolutely in it."

That's interesting.

descendency
07-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Peter King tweeted that the Seahawks "QB race could go any of 3 ways. Russell Wilson absolutely in it."

That's interesting.

Interesting is an interesting way of saying 1 bad QB = 1 system backup = 1 guy who can't even ride the rides.

VAfy-ya
07-30-2012, 04:52 AM
- Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and DeSean Jackson are putting on their typical training camp shows. These four are just fast and athletic and they're meant for this type of a showcase, hopefully all four can put on a show when it's for real too. Some of the best match-ups have supposedly been between DRC and DeSean Jackson (blazing speed v.s. blazing speed).

- Cliff Harris has been one of the darlings of camp at cornerback but he's fighting an uphill battle because the Eagles already have Nnamdi and DRC as the starters with Joselio Hanson in the slot and rumor has it that Brandon Boykin is performing as well as any CB in camp so far and Curtis Marsh has been running with the ones when Nnamdi moves into the slot.

- Jason Avant should be an Eagle for life. This is a guy everyone wants on their roster. He's perfect for the slot receiver spot, he's tough, he has incredible hands and he runs routes like they're were drawn with a protractor. And on top of being great at what he does, he's a fantastic presence on the roster. When Riley Cooper broke his collar bone, Avant ran 50 yards downfield to see if he was okay. Jason Avant watched special teams drills and got on Marvin McNutt for touching an onside kick before it went 10 yards. And he praised Jeremy Stewart for finishing his runs instead of running out of bounds in practice. This guy should never leave the Eagles and after he's hung it up, he should be a coach. Great guy.

- Last year's draft class is really coming along. Danny Watkins has been dishing out some nice, hard servings of turf. And Jaiquawn Jarrett is playing like the physical safety he was touted as, laying a couple huge hits on LeSean McCoy today.

- Brandon Graham had a fantastic camp as a rookie and every beat reporter says that he's doing just as well now as he did back then. If Brandon Graham is healthy, that's a big boost to an already stacked defensive line.

- Jim Washburn yells and curses, a lot.

- DeMeco Ryans has taken this defense by the reigns. He took the leadership role right away.

- Jason Kelce has an AMAZING beard:
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2438697230/8qn0khhlutbc78kecmbq.jpeg

I have no problem admitting the Eagles scare the **** out of me. Just a insane amount of talent on that squad. If they put it all together mentally, it could be ugly for the rest of the NFC.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't know about all that praise for Jason Avant after a couple of practices but ANYWAY...

what's the word on Kendricks so far?

Caddy
07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
All my teams rookies look like All-Pros.

Bixby (Thumper)
07-30-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't know about all that praise for Jason Avant after a couple of practices but ANYWAY...

what's the word on Kendricks so far?

Well Jason Avant has been around for a while… If I could, I'd have 53 guys who played like Jason Avant. He's not overly talented but he's dedicated, precise and he's a fantastic locker room presence. He even lays some crazy blocks on special teams. I <3 Jason Avant soo much.

But word on Kendricks is that he's fast and athletic. Reporters said he was the star of the minicamps earlier this offseason and I haven't read anything that would say that changed. I did read that Jason Avant got on him for missing a tackle saying that "We need that tackle 95". Andy Reid just handed him the job outright so he must be doing something right.

SolidGold
07-30-2012, 07:28 AM

That's interesting.

It's the first day of camp...these things work themselves over the course of TC

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Avant is like Cotchery. A very underrated underappreciated player who just knows how to play the game and knows how to get open despite lacking elite tools.

Great route runner, great hands, great lockerroom presence, just a good guy to have on your team.

Those players are great compliments to an offense. They can never be the guy, but as a complimentary piece, they're a great asset.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm really hoping that early reports on Mark Herzlich being fast and athletic out there are true and not just training camp hype. If Herz can regain that athleticism he had in college, we may have the MIKE I've been begging for the Giants to go out and get for years now.

I don't want to jinx it, I really hope it's not just training camp hype. But if we got Herzlich playing like college Herzlich, that will make our defense that much scarier this year.

....until Perry Fewell does his best to try to screw it all up. But that's a different topic of discussion.

Grizzlegom
07-30-2012, 08:54 AM
When there's no pressure Ryan Tannehill looks good. When there's pressure he looks puzzled.

Sounds about right.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
It's the first day of camp...these things work themselves over the course of TC

I saw some footage and it's obviously very early but Flynn didn't look too great...

The defense on the other hand just looks so ******* beastly I can't say it enough.

Jason Jones is going to be awesome, they have three top-notch elite run-stuffing DL, and if Irvin and Bobby Wagner give them anything, they could have a top-3 defense.

DE: Chris Clemons
DT: Brandon Mebane
DT: Alan Branch
DE: Red Bryant
+ Bruce Irvin, + Jason ******* Jones

OLB: LeRoy Hill
MLB: Bobby Wagner
OLB: K.J. Wright

CB: Richard Sherman
FS: Earl
SS: Kam
CB: Brandon Browner
Nickel: Marcus Trufant
3rd S: Jeron Johnson

By my count, that's 13 guys with at least above-average potential. Trufant's as good an option at nickel as there is in the league and the secondary is just going to beat people up...

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm tellin ya, people are sleeping on the Seahawks. If they can get production out of their qb, I wouldn't be surprised if they give the 49ers a run for their money in that division.

Seattle is legit. Great defense, good weapons on offense and solid RBs. They have OL and qb concerns though, but if they can get that together they could be dangerous.

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, but the QB position is such a question mark. I think San Fran is still easily going to be a double digit win team and I don't think, even with a great supporting cast, that Seattle can be that without at least an above average performance by the QB. I don't think Jackson or rookie Wilson gives them that, so it may be on Flynn.

bigbluedefense
In fact, I think the entire NFC West is being slept on a little. It's not a cupcake division, and the 49ers aren't going to sleep walk into a division title.

The Rams are much improved, especially on defense, the Cardinals are tough on defense and have weapons on the outside, the Seahawks are just missing a qb for the most part and are built simiarly to the 49ers. This division is improved and will be competitive.

XxXdragonXxX

That's interesting.

Disagree with Peter King. Tarvaris Jackson is setting himself apart (behind) Flynn and Wilson. It's a 2 man race at this point.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah, but the QB position is such a question mark. I think San Fran is still easily going to be a double digit win team and I don't think, even with a great supporting cast, that Seattle can be that without at least an above average performance by the QB. I don't think Jackson or rookie Wilson gives them that, so it may be on Flynn.

The 49ers have the same problem, do they not? Neither team has a great qb. Both teams have great defenses. Both teams should have good run games.

It could come down to health and execution by their respective game manager qbs.

Consistency is very difficult in the NFL if you don't have a franchise qb. The 49ers do not have one. I don't think it's a lock that they have a repeat performance from last year.

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
In fact, I think the entire NFC West is being slept on a little. It's not a cupcake division, and the 49ers aren't going to sleep walk into a division title.

The Rams are much improved, especially on defense, the Cardinals are tough on defense and have weapons on the outside, the Seahawks are just missing a qb for the most part and are built simiarly to the 49ers. This division is improved and will be competitive.

It's going to be all about the QBs for the other 3 teams. Hell, even all 4 teams have reasonable questions there.

I'm not a Bradford guy like most here seem to be, and I think he'll be closer being called a bust than a great QB by the end of this year. That's my feeling on the matter.

Bixby (Thumper)
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
People hyping up the Seahawks? Cue the 49ers fans throwing a ***** fit in 5… 4… 3… 2…

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
The 49ers have the same problem, do they not? Neither team has a great qb. Both teams have great defenses. Both teams should have good run games.

It could come down to health and execution by their respective game manager qbs.

Consistency is very difficult in the NFL if you don't have a franchise qb. The 49ers do not have one. I don't think it's a lock that they have a repeat performance from last year.

Yeah, but the difference is Alex Smith has already done it. Can Jackson/Flynn/Wilson?

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah, but the difference is Alex Smith has already done it. Can Jackson/Flynn/Wilson?

I'm betting on Flynn to be the guy. And I'm guessing he'll be a game manager. He's capable. He's done it before. Granted he had a ton more talent around him, but he's still done it before.

I'm just saying...it's not going to be easy for SF. They're in for a fight. That division won't be decided by week 10 like a lot ppl assume.

Brothgar
07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I'd say that in the division the other two teams are being slept on people have been coming around to the Seahawks since NFL.com made their bold predictions about them winning the division. But the Cards were no pushovers by the end of the season and the Rams still have by far the best QB situation.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I know the division pretty well, and when I make my wagers I won't make them with Seahawks-colored goggles.

The cold hard truth is that Flynn will be making his THIRD career start when he starts in Week One. It's just hard to back a QB with such little experience, on a new team with so many questions at receiver and OL. Even if Flynn becomes a good one, it might take a year or two... it's scary.

The 49ers have an excellent program because of their head coach, and their talent level on defense is undeniable. All Alex Smith has to be is average for them to win 10+ games. I hate them, but I believe in the program Harbaugh has established. They're going to be tough for a long time.

Arizona is sketchy to me because they have a really good defense and the best offensive player in the division. Unfortunately for them, Kolb is the QB and their OL still sucks. They feel 7-9ish again because of those concerns. I think Ryan Williams has a big year but Kolb's just too inconsistent for me so I'm not expecting a breakout.

I will call for the Rams to be a big-time sleeper this year. They have a good defense, should be able to run the ball, and I expect to see better OL play and an improved Bradford as a result. Jeff Fisher is a hell of a coach, and his impact should be felt immediately. Their potential last year showed in that win against the Saints. Fisher will get the best out of them. They'll be tougher mentally and physically and I like their young DL. They also boast one of the top CB duos in the league.

So there you go, a Seahawks fan calling for a breakout year from the freaking Rams, tempering expectations (I just think it's unrealistic to think a new QB is going to step in and make this team THAT much better RIGHT AWAY), and acknowledging that the 49ers will remain legitimate contenders, despite a lot of people forecasting a drop-off.

Still early, but my picks will likely look something like this:

49ers 11-5
Rams 9-7
Seahawks 6-10
Cardinals 6-10

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if all 4 teams have a shot at the division. I really wouldn't.

St. Louis has the best qb, whom I'm a believer of, who will get Amendola back, has some WRs who are unproven but better than what he has had in the past, a potentially dangerous DL, solid CBs, a solid LB core, great run game. It will come down to how Bradford clicks with that WR core, how the OL holds up, and ultimately how Bradford plays.

Arizona has a tough defense, good WRs, but they lack a run game, OL, and qb. If they can get production there they could be in it.

Seattle is pretty much loaded outside of qb and OL.

These teams have talent. A lot more talent than they're getting credit for.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
To kind of take a step back and defend Seattle for a moment - they played SF REAL TOUGH twice with T-Joke under center...

They'll be competitive in most games regardless of who's at QB. I just think they'll fall short more often than not.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if all 4 teams have a shot at the division. I really wouldn't.

St. Louis has the best qb, whom I'm a believer of, who will get Amendola back, has some WRs who are unproven but better than what he has had in the past, a potentially dangerous DL, solid CBs, a solid LB core, great run game. It will come down to how Bradford clicks with that WR core, how the OL holds up, and ultimately how Bradford plays.

Arizona has a tough defense, good WRs, but they lack a run game, OL, and qb. If they can get production there they could be in it.

And our guy Other Steve Smith. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him lead the team in catches, yards, and TDs.

jrdrylie
07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
It's going to be all about the QBs for the other 3 teams. Hell, even all 4 teams have reasonable questions there.

I'm not a Bradford guy like most here seem to be, and I think he'll be closer being called a bust than a great QB by the end of this year. That's my feeling on the matter.

I'm in agreement with you here. I wan't high on Bradford coming into the NFL and he hasn't done all that much to change my mind. If I'm the St. Louis management and they finish with a top-3 pick again, I would strongly consider drafting Barkley-Bray-Wilson or whoever is the top rated QB.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 09:58 AM
And our guy Other Steve Smith. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him lead the team in catches, yards, and TDs.

Stevey <3

I hope his career isn't over. If he just listened to the Giants, what could have been...

Thecollegedropout
07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Too bad the Rams have this abomination of a Offensive Coordinator set to ruin Bradford...

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4507781/144248304_extra_large.jpg

Seen enough of him to not think highly of any offense he runs.

VAfy-ya
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
People hyping up the Seahawks? Cue the 49ers fans throwing a ***** fit in 5… 4… 3… 2…

Why we would throw a fit? I said the 'Hawks and the Niners both make the playoffs couple of months ago. The Hawks will be right there with us, I have no problem admitting that. And if Lockette is as good as they've been saying so far, its going to be that much tougher. I think the world of their defense. Those two games this year are going to epic.

V.I.P
07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Vincent Jackson has been tearing it up in camp... But i don't know what to think though. Can't remember the last receiver to sign a big free agent contract and actually produce for his new team.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/394708_10151133542869595_267615907_n.jpg
Vincent Jackson burning Aqib Talib

brat316
07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Joey Galloway

tim brown

WCH
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
It seems like most of the let-downs have been #2 WRs who have to be the #1 guy on their new team. It's the Alvin Harper Effect.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
So apparently the Jaguars are having an awful start to their training camp, and Blaine Gabbert is still awful.

SuperMcGee
07-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Mularkey and Gabbert are going to provide so many laughs this year.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Aren't the Jags on national television a bunch of times this year too?

gpngc
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
If Gabbert's that bad Henne will just win the job. Henne's not awful.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 12:23 PM
They won't give up on Gabbert that quickly. He'll get all of this year to prove himself. Or at least 2/3 of the year.

But if they commit to him beyond this year they're just being stubborn.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Well the new coaching staff has no ties to Gabbert so I'd expect Henne to win the job if he's even slightly better.

And on the subject of the Seahawks, they seem like a pretty polarizing topic. The NFLN guys Casserly and Lombardi basically just said they don't think they'll come close to the playoffs. And they didn't even cite the QB situation as a reason. They were concerned with the OL and the pass rush. It's going to be a very interesting year. And I'd argue that of all the teams in the NFL, the Seahawks have the most important preseason.

WCH
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
What's the story with Shahid Khan? Is he an absentee owner, or is he a football junkie who takes an interest in personnel moves?

His opinion of Gabbert could be the most important factor.

jrdrylie
07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
What's the story with Shahid Khan? Is he an absentee owner, or is he a football junkie who takes an interest in personnel moves?

His opinion of Gabbert could be the most important factor.

Khan isn't absentee but he also isn't hands-on like a Davis, Jones, or Snyder. I'd say he's kind of in the middle. For example, he wants his son to have some influence or position within the team but not before he proves he can handle it.

Edit: The Jags don't have a lot of national games. Their only prime time game is a Thursday night game against Indianapolis.

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Khan isn't absentee but he also isn't hands-on like a Davis, Jones, or Snyder. I'd say he's kind of in the middle. For example, he wants his son to have some influence or position within the team but not before he proves he can handle it.

Edit: The Jags don't have a lot of national games. Their only prime time game is a Thursday night game against Indianapolis.

Thank christ....they were abysmal to watch last year and seemed to end up with far more prime time games than they deserved.

FUNBUNCHER
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Joey Galloway

tim brown

Santana Moss.

Vincent Jackson will be fine. It's the rest of the Bucs offense that needs to step it up.

Hines
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Tomlin to Chris Rainey the other day. He's so funny:

Well, if sharp needling means love, the coaches apparently still carry those feelings about Rainey. Just the other day, at the start of the first full-contact practice of the season, the horn blew, players began running to their individual stations, and Tomlin shouted, “OK, 22, time to die!”

Of course, that’s the text message Rainey, number 22, had sent to a girlfriend to break up with her in college. It led to criminal charges – and a year’s worth of verbal abuse from Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers.

“I hear it every day, about five times a day,” Rainey said as he smiled and shook his head. “It’s all good. I made a bad mistake in the past but I moved on. It’s funny now. I’m glad I’m here.”

49ersfan_87
07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I know the division pretty well, and when I make my wagers I won't make them with Seahawks-colored goggles.

The cold hard truth is that Flynn will be making his THIRD career start when he starts in Week One. It's just hard to back a QB with such little experience, on a new team with so many questions at receiver and OL. Even if Flynn becomes a good one, it might take a year or two... it's scary.

The 49ers have an excellent program because of their head coach, and their talent level on defense is undeniable. All Alex Smith has to be is average for them to win 10+ games. I hate them, but I believe in the program Harbaugh has established. They're going to be tough for a long time.

Arizona is sketchy to me because they have a really good defense and the best offensive player in the division. Unfortunately for them, Kolb is the QB and their OL still sucks. They feel 7-9ish again because of those concerns. I think Ryan Williams has a big year but Kolb's just too inconsistent for me so I'm not expecting a breakout.

I will call for the Rams to be a big-time sleeper this year. They have a good defense, should be able to run the ball, and I expect to see better OL play and an improved Bradford as a result. Jeff Fisher is a hell of a coach, and his impact should be felt immediately. Their potential last year showed in that win against the Saints. Fisher will get the best out of them. They'll be tougher mentally and physically and I like their young DL. They also boast one of the top CB duos in the league.

So there you go, a Seahawks fan calling for a breakout year from the freaking Rams, tempering expectations (I just think it's unrealistic to think a new QB is going to step in and make this team THAT much better RIGHT AWAY), and acknowledging that the 49ers will remain legitimate contenders, despite a lot of people forecasting a drop-off.

Still early, but my picks will likely look something like this:

49ers 11-5
Rams 9-7
Seahawks 6-10
Cardinals 6-10

Predictions are fluid. But i don't like the Cardinals very much. Here's my prediction as of today

49ers- 11-5
Seahawks- 9-7
Rams- 7-9
Cardinals- 6-10

VAfy-ya
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Im hoping for 11-5 but I think 10-6 is still a good season and more reasonable considering the schedule. Our schedule is brutal and our conference has improved across the board(well maybe not the Cards). Ten wins should get us into the playoffs and that's all that really matters to me.

Brodeur
07-30-2012, 03:27 PM
So this happened at the Jets training camp...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ufmbft55ehdjpg/original.jpg

Giantsfan1080
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
He's also getting booed already. His act won't fly as well in NY without success like it did in Denver.

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/giants-cb-terrell-thomas-re-injures-knee-doesnt-sound-good/

Giants CBs suffering knee injuries...what can be done?

Giantsfan1080
07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Hosley is fine, he just needed stitches. It doesn't sound good for Thomas though.

Ron
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Damn losing Thomas for the season and Ross being gone is gonna hurt. Prince is gonna need to step it up in a major way.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Time for Prince to step up.

Ditto for Hosely.

gpngc
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Hosley sucks. A rare miss by Jerry Reese.

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
The comment there about resigning Deon Grant is probably spot on too.

bigbluedefense
07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Hosley sucks. A rare miss by Jerry Reese.

I think he's raw. The tools are there. But he gives up too much space in off coverage, lacks experience in press man (he can be great at it though, very long arms and he has speed, ball skills, and flexibility), and he sucks at tackling.

He's not ready for a starting position, which sucks. I wanted to bring him a long slowly. But now we just have to hope he picks it up quickly.

Giantsfan1080
07-30-2012, 04:25 PM
We have enough CB depth this year where losing Thomas might not be a killer. Prince needs to do his thing.

LonghornsLegend
07-30-2012, 04:53 PM

I have a hard time finding that you believe this. Arizona & St Louis did not get that much better in 1 off-season. They are nowhere near contending for this division and I don't think it's even close. Unless Brian Quick has an Anquan Boldin type of rookie season their just not that good.

Seattle maybe, but that's if you want to put that much faith into a QB who has had what, 2 career starts up to this point. It's at least plausible he could come in and tear up the league, but the fact that Tavaris Jackson opened up as the starting QB in Training Camp tells me all I need to know about that situation.

I really don't even see what the debate would be about. SF has a ridiculous defense, that returned every single starter to my knowledge. The weakness of that team is adding Randy Moss(I'll admit don't know which one, but he's still an upgrade), Mario Manningham, AJ Jenkins, and Lamichael James.

You'd seriously need everything to go right in the world for any of those other 3 teams to win the division, and everything to go wrong for SF. Unless they are forced to start Kaepernick all season long it's 1 of the few locks this season they win the division. It may not be a run away, and they may not even win a playoff game, but you'd have to project a million things to go right for any of those other teams for that to happen.

Bengals78
07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
our OL dominated the DL for the most part in Oklahoma Drills.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Training-Camp-Oklahoma-Drill-73012/b82c525d-5a17-48c2-a125-e6d284f9ff6e

First on the video, Andre smashes Dunlap.

Brent
07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Cue the 49ers fans throwing a ***** fit in 5… 4… 3… 2…
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/mcollinknight/Jon%20and%20Stephen%20get%20their%20own%20album/jon_is_disappointed.gif

Brodeur
07-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Shut up Thumper.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-30-2012, 05:44 PM
And @Redskins announce for #NYG LB Jonathan Goff has re-torn his ACL and he is out for the season. -- Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton)

Damn ACLs!

vidae
07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Just got back from a Chiefs practice in St. Joe and I met Clark Hunt! Boom!

Brodeur
07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Just got back from a Chiefs practice in St. Joe and I met Clark Hunt! Boom!

You could give some reports to how things went, Mikey. How did Berry and Charles look with their ACLs no longer dead? Stuff like that.

DoughBoy
07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Jake out does Matt for the second straight day. Its still close though, both look good.

Pat Sims 90
07-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Jordan Shipley is back from injury.

vidae
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
You could give some reports to how things went, Mikey. How did Berry and Charles look with their ACLs no longer dead? Stuff like that.

I didn't get a great look at Berry but he was out there running. Charles juked a few defenders on some random plays and he looks 100%. Tony Moeaki was out there running pass patterns and looked good too.

And Tony Ugoh decided to retire three days after we signed him. Cue all the "no one wants to play in KC lolol" comments!

armageddon
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Just heard Brockers described as Man-child

Bulldogs
07-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Ahhhh, training camp. Where every player is going to be the next big thing.

XxXdragonXxX
07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Seattle maybe, but that's if you want to put that much faith into a QB who has had what, 2 career starts up to this point. It's at least plausible he could come in and tear up the league, but the fact that Tavaris Jackson opened up as the starting QB in Training Camp tells me all I need to know about that situation.

Flynn (Or Wilson) doesn't have to light up the league for the Seahawks to be a playoff team. All he has to do is not lose games like Jackson did. There were atleast 3 games we should have won, but Jackson got sacked or fumbled with the game on the line. The only game the Seahawks lost that wasn't close was against the Steelers.

The Fact that Jackson opened as the "starting QB" means nothing other than he is the incumbent starter. Pete Carroll is serious about the QB competition, he's going to make Flynn (Or Wilson) work for it. All 3 QBs are rotating days with the #1 offense, the fact that Jackson got day 1 doesn't mean anything.

Borat
07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Just heard Brockers described as Man-child

So, that would make him a mature baby?

armageddon
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
So, that would make him a mature baby?

either that or a baby with a 12" pecker

WCH
07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
This is kind of fun.

Pagano gives Steelers Fan a Luck Jersey (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/pagano-gives-steelers-fan-luck-jersey/)

According to the Associated Press, Pagano gave the Steelers fan and Andrew Luck jersey and a choice: Get it on, or get out.

“[Zbikowski] saw it and said, ‘Look Coach we got to do something about that,’” Pagano said. ”I went over there. He’s a huge [former Steelers and current Colts offensive coordinator Bruce] Arians fan, obviously, and [former Steelers and current Colts running back] Mewelde Moore. So with a little bit of coaching and a brand new Andrew Luck jersey, I said, ‘Look, you’ve got to put this jersey on. If you do it, you get to stay, if not we’ve got to escort you out of here.’”

Here's a video: http://www.telly.com/XBUHC?fromtwitvid=1

Pagano said he'd get Luck over there to sign the jersey. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

JHL6719
07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
How's Luke Kuechly looking so far? Also, what about Christo Bilukidi in Raiders camp?

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 05:48 AM
our OL dominated the DL for the most part in Oklahoma Drills.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Training-Camp-Oklahoma-Drill-73012/b82c525d-5a17-48c2-a125-e6d284f9ff6e

First on the video, Andre smashes Dunlap.

Good to see from Big Whit and especially Andre. We're gonna have to be better in the run game this year if we expect to have continued success, and those two need to be our cornerstones.

If Andre can continue to improve his technique in pass pro and become more consistent in that regard, it'll be hard for us to let him walk when his contract is up (which I think is after this season, right?). He had a good season in 2011, but needs to build on that if he wants to reach his immense potential.

Hopefully Dunlap can become an every down type of player because we need to keep him on the field as much as possible. Going up against our two behemoths at tackle should be a good learning experience for him.

armageddon
07-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Rams d-line Long/Brockers/Langford/Quinn has been dominated the o-line. Good for D bad for Bradford. Pocket was collapsing and Bradford has been under duress a lot and no where to step up. He has looked good when given time. Brian Quick looks the part. At 6'5, he has been catching everything. Really physical too.

FUNBUNCHER
07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Skins took Spartans QB Kirk Cousins over Brian Quick, AFTER already drafting RGIII.
Please God I hope Quick turns into a stud pro bowler so that Dan Snyder will fire Bruce Allen and never let Shanny draft players again.
The best value on the Skins board my ass.

K Train
07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
i forgot about the langford signing. that dline could be beast with those 4, i think long could have a DMVP type year

K Train
07-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Skins took Spartans QB Kirk Cousins over Brian Quick, AFTER already drafting RGIII.
Please God I hope Quick turns into a stud pro bowler so that Dan Snyder will fire Bruce Allen and never let Shanny draft players again.
The best value on the Skins board my ass.

kirk cousins was a 4th rounder, quick was the first pick of the second round

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Skins took Spartans QB Kirk Cousins over Brian Quick, AFTER already drafting RGIII. .

Not sure if serious.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/31/its-over-for-jeff-otah-with-the-jets/

Aaaaand...back to Wayne Hunter.

Hines
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I cant confirm, but it looks like Braylon signed with Seattle.

Edit: Not sure if true.

FUNBUNCHER
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Not sure if serious.
My bad, was thinking Ladarius Green taken after Cousins. I wanted Quick but the SKins didn't have a 2nd rounder.

Hines
07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
The Bengals did in fact sign Marvin Lewis to a contract situation, though. He must love his job. Never seen a coach on the hot seat so much and not get fired.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 11:07 AM
The Bengals did in fact sign Marvin Lewis to a contract situation, though. He must love his job. Never seen a coach on the hot seat so much and not get fired.

Yea 3 more years of being mediocre at best.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 11:07 AM

Well, no. Firing a coach usually means paying him for the remainder of his contract. Since the Bengals would also need a new head coach, Mike Brown isn't going to pay a guy NOT to do his job.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, no. Firing a coach usually means paying him for the remainder of his contract. Since the Bengals would also need a new head coach, Mike Brown isn't going to pay a guy NOT to do his job.

He paid Antonio Bryant.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
He paid Antonio Bryant.

Well if he had the staffing of a normal team, someone might have been able to point out that Bryant would be a lousy signing.

Hines
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
Breaking #Seahawks news: WR Braylon Edwards will sign with team today, league source tells me

Yup, Braylon to Seattle.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Well if he had the staffing of a normal team, someone might have been able to point out that Bryant would be a lousy signing.

They have the staffing of a normal team, they are just not good at it.

K Train
07-31-2012, 11:20 AM

coughlin lol

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
What a fall from grace for Braylon after notching 15 TD's. It's been a huge downhill slope ever since.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
What a fall from grace for Braylon after notching 15 TD's. It's been a huge downhill slope ever since.

Was definitely a flukey year. He has the athletic ability to be elite but none of the concentration.

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/braylons-drop.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/12/04/sports/photos_stories/cropped/101_braylon_edwards%20--300x300.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/26816/08week1edwards_medium.jpg

http://web.sny.tv/images/2010/01/12/bB8fCdxL.jpg

Giantsfan1080
07-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Babin strained achilles. Out 3-4 weeks.

Babylon
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Flynn (Or Wilson) doesn't have to light up the league for the Seahawks to be a playoff team. All he has to do is not lose games like Jackson did. There were atleast 3 games we should have won, but Jackson got sacked or fumbled with the game on the line. The only game the Seahawks lost that wasn't close was against the Steelers.

The Fact that Jackson opened as the "starting QB" means nothing other than he is the incumbent starter. Pete Carroll is serious about the QB competition, he's going to make Flynn (Or Wilson) work for it. All 3 QBs are rotating days with the #1 offense, the fact that Jackson got day 1 doesn't mean anything.

Not sure if i agree with your analysis about the QB not having to win a game for the team to be a playoff team, they arent that good. The media here seems gaga for Russell Wilson to be the starter but i think Flynn has to be the guy, at least for this year.

WCH
07-31-2012, 01:43 PM
How good of a WR is Antonio Cromartie going to be for the Jets (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/31/antonio-cromartie-im-the-second-best-receiver-on-the-jets/)?

“I think I’d put myself as second,” Cromartie said. “I haven’t really played it in the past four or five years, but I can put myself as the second just with raw ability and talent going out there, I think, me separating and being a more physical guy out there on the outside.”

Man, these Jets just don't know when to shut up. How could he think he's the second best...oh, wait...

Santonio Holmes is the Jets’ No. 1 receiver, but Cromartie apparently thinks he’s better than the team’s other receivers, including Chaz Schilens, Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill.

He might be right.

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2012, 01:55 PM
I actually don't think that's saying very much honestly. At least until Hill gets up to speed, he probably has a decent case.

SuperMcGee
07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Our O-line really needs to get into shape. Glenn is consistently getting beat by Kelsay and Pears has been missing time, leaving Mario Williams to feast on the likes of Sam Young. Eric Wood also has only been doing individual walkthroughs, so far. Consensus belief is that Fitzpatrick would be shattered by now if he was allowed to get hit.

XxXdragonXxX
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Not sure if i agree with your analysis about the QB not having to win a game for the team to be a playoff team, they arent that good. The media here seems gaga for Russell Wilson to be the starter but i think Flynn has to be the guy, at least for this year.

Well, semantics of saying "winning" vs. "Not losing" aside....

With an average QB, the seahawks would have won atleast 3 more games last year. Imo this team is improved on the DL, Lbers and OL...possibly WR and RB. QB is an unknown but at worst its a wash.

I dont see any reason why an average QB like say an Alex Smith type can't get this twam to 10-6 or better.

XxXdragonXxX
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Yup, Braylon to Seattle.

Braylon and Bryant will battle for 1 or 0 roster spots.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/31/giants-safety-tyler-sash-gets-four-game-suspension/

Tyler Sash suspended for PEDs. Cuts that secondary depth even further now. Deon Grant pretty much has to be coming back now, right?

bigbluedefense
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Deon Grant is pretty much a lock to get signed now.

bigbluedefense
07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
I have a hard time finding that you believe this. Arizona & St Louis did not get that much better in 1 off-season. They are nowhere near contending for this division and I don't think it's even close. Unless Brian Quick has an Anquan Boldin type of rookie season their just not that good.

I really don't even see what the debate would be about. SF has a ridiculous defense, that returned every single starter to my knowledge. The weakness of that team is adding Randy Moss(I'll admit don't know which one, but he's still an upgrade), Mario Manningham, AJ Jenkins, and Lamichael James.

You'd seriously need everything to go right in the world for any of those other 3 teams to win the division, and everything to go wrong for SF. Unless they are forced to start Kaepernick all season long it's 1 of the few locks this season they win the division. It may not be a run away, and they may not even win a playoff game, but you'd have to project a million things to go right for any of those other teams for that to happen.

I think youre selling the rest of the division a little short. I'm not saying that the 49ers won't win the division, but I definitely don't think this division is gonna be a cake walk for them.

They're all pretty much built the same way: strong defense, 1 dimensional offense. You never know what could happen. There isn't an overwhelming talent gap anywhere across the board.

bigbluedefense
07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
How do you get 4 games for adderhall btw?

After getting prescribed it too? That's odd. Unless its used as a masking agent for something else?

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened. The last few guys to get it for Adderall though have gotten their suspensions reduced. I recall that they got it prescribed but not through the league/team.

Giantsfan1080
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Eww 4 games for a first time offense and for Adderall? Don't like.

Hines
07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Weslye Saunders got 4 games for Adderall as well. He's appealing the suspension.

Giantsfan1080
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Sash already appealed and lost.

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Aaron Hernandez has been an absolute beast, exact words out of camp today were no one can cover him.

My new Ole Miss UDFA Pats running back Brandon Bolden lost a fumble today so he's probably done, can't afford to do that. I still think he may make it after a so so practice today he has been looking very good.

Ex-Dolphin Donald Thomas has been working with the starters at left guard with Dan Connolly at RG, due to Mankins' injury.

Jermaine Cunningham had a great offseason (Belichick said that so it must be true) and has had a couple good practices too, he's a former second rounder coming into his thrid season and he's someone that a lot of people feel is fighting for a roster spot. Showed flashes as a rookie and didn't play much last year, if he can step up he could be a very nice piece to have with all of our new young guys.

Donta Hightower has been playing very well.

Gronk dropped a couple of gimme's the other day.

Ras-I Dowling, who is a big key for 2012, had a big practice today.

BeerBaron
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Eww 4 games for a first time offense and for Adderall? Don't like.

Sash already appealed and lost.

He really ****** up then.

Andre Brown got his suspension for Adderall completely lifted, while Brett Hartman got his reduced from 4 to 3 games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/01/andre-brown-says-his-suspensions-been-lifted/

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14149962

Giantsfan1080
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
He really ****** up then.

Andre Brown got his suspension for Adderall completely lifted, while Brett Hartman got his reduced from 4 to 3 games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/01/andre-brown-says-his-suspensions-been-lifted/

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14149962

I think it's because those 2 had a previous medical history with the drug where as this was the first time Sash had used. Still some BS but that's the league we live in today so not much you can do.

gpngc
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Maybe they view it as a true performance-enhancer for guys who weren't prescribed it prior to having to learn an NFL playbook...

I'm an absolute football junkie but even I didn't read an entire NFL playbook (you can find them on the interwebz).

It truly is a performance-enhancer when used that way....

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
Vontaze Burfict criticized a ton around draft, but hes flashing well in camp. More mobile at 238, making plays. Coaches like what they see

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
Hard to watch this Bengals OL and not be impressed. Powerful unit. Very stout all the way across. Big key to young skill guys development

Burfict will push Maualuga for playing time this year. OL will be much better will Bobbie Williams and Nate Livings out of there.

VAfy-ya
07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
How's Taylor Mays looking?

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 07:41 PM
How's Taylor Mays looking?

One play he looks good, the next play he looks really bad. He will starter as of now, but Iloka is pushing him.

VAfy-ya
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
It's ashame a guy with that kind of freakish athletic ability has no real true position that in todays's NFL that maximizes those gifts. I just never thought much of him as a safety and he's not a LB. Guess it just be like that sometimes....

gpngc
07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Mays and an OBVIOUS regression from Reggie Nelson will be the team's downfall.

They also have a brutal second-half schedule. (Play arguably the two toughest division in football - AFC West and NFC Beast).

QBs they beat last year:

@ Colt McCoy
Ryan Fitzpatrick
@ Gabbert
Kerry Collins? Maybe Orlovsky.
@ T-Joke
@ Hasselbeck? Maybe some of Locker?
McCoy again
@ Bradford
Skelton

That's concerning. Although they were competitive in nearly every game, and were good on the road, I expect a drop-off. I also don't think Dalton has as good a year as he did last year.

The lack of a No. 2 WR is going to hurt them as teams double Adriel Jeremiah constantly.

I do love the OL going forward, specifically Zeitler.

gpngc
07-31-2012, 07:51 PM
It's ashame a guy with that kind of freakish athletic ability has no real true position that in todays's NFL that maximizes those gifts. I just never thought much of him as a safety and he's not a LB. Guess it just be like that sometimes....

His severe lack of instincts was an obvious red flag at USC. I'm not surprised at all.

WCH
07-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Mike Neal's suspension is also for adderall that he apparently had a prescription for. He appealed, lost, and is appealing again.

Apparently you have to file the right paperwork with the league office. I'm sure that NFL lawyers have triple-checked this and covered their bases with the CBA, but it seems like these suspensions would come pretty close to violating the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
an OBVIOUS regression from Reggie Nelson

Reggie Nelson has only gotten better every year under Zimmer. Getting Rid of Chris Crocker as SS only improves the Bengals.

gpngc
07-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Reggie Nelson has only gotten better every year under Zimmer. Getting Rid of Chris Crocker as SS only improves the Bengals.

Not if you are replacing him with Taylor freaking Mays.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Not if you are replacing him with Taylor freaking Mays.

We have had Chris Crocker and Roy Williams as starting SS in recent years and Zimmer still had them as a top 10 defense.

This play here tells how bad Crocker was. Whoever the SS is can't be any worse then him last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJUU0r3-yBg

gpngc
07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
I mean we'll agree to disagree. I think Mays can. I know Crocker sucks but so does Mays.

And check out my last post about which QBs Reggie Nelson had his breakout year against...

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I mean we'll agree to disagree. I think Mays can. I know Crocker sucks but so does Mays.

And check out my last post about which QBs Reggie Nelson had his breakout year against...

Nelson had a breakout year with ****** corners and the Bengals best pass rusher hurt all year. He was decent all year long.

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
While I do tend to think Nelson is a bit overrated by Bengals fans, he has been the best safety we've had in quite some time.

And if anything is wrong with our secondary it sure as **** isn't our corners. We've had AT LEAST above average corner groupings for many years. Everyone likes to **** on Leon Hall because he gets beat deep occasionally(like EVERY corner whos ever played football even before the rules were adjusted to favor the offense), but he's actually one of the better corners in the league. We were ****** when he went down though I'll give ya that. Our safeties have been a problem for as long as I can remember, especially when it comes to coverage.

Ness
07-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I still remember when Tory James and Deltha O'Neal had that one year where they were intercepting everything.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Why don't they put Taylor Mays on offense or as a kick returner?

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Don't really have much of a use for him other than at safety. When I was at camp the other day he was actually playing some corner because almost everyone was out. He didn't look totally ******** at CB and I actually thought he did well at S whenever I was watching. For him it's all a head game IMO and if he can get over that he'll be just fine.

Ness
07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Did you see Marvin Jones? I wanted him on the 49ers.

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Yea he was returning some punts and he did make a really nice catch along the sideline on a deep route in 1s on 1s.

Pat Sims 90
07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
And if anything is wrong with our secondary it sure as **** isn't our corners. We've had AT LEAST above average corner groupings for many years.

Once Hall went down the Bengals could not cover anybody last year.

Clements could not cover anybody with any speed at all.
Kelly Jennings was awful.
Adam Jones out of position most of the time.

armageddon
07-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Aaron Hernandez has been an absolute beast, exact words out of camp today were no one can cover him.

My new Ole Miss UDFA Pats running back Brandon Bolden lost a fumble today so he's probably done, can't afford to do that. I still think he may make it after a so so practice today he has been looking very good.

Ex-Dolphin Donald Thomas has been working with the starters at left guard with Dan Connolly at RG, due to Mankins' injury.

Jermaine Cunningham had a great offseason (Belichick said that so it must be true) and has had a couple good practices too, he's a former second rounder coming into his thrid season and he's someone that a lot of people feel is fighting for a roster spot. Showed flashes as a rookie and didn't play much last year, if he can step up he could be a very nice piece to have with all of our new young guys.

Donta Hightower has been playing very well.

Gronk dropped a couple of gimme's the other day.

Ras-I Dowling, who is a big key for 2012, had a big practice today.

Do the Patriots have anybody who can cover ?

49ersfan_87
07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Apparently Mike Mularkey has yet to even meet MJD?

Working on NFL Teams and it amazes me that Mike Mularkey of Jags has never spend time this off season with MJD. Why not go see him in April?

https://twitter.com/michaelombardi/status/230467695580176384

New coaches, always call and talk to their best players--Belichick wrote each one a personal note, called them, must develope a relationship

https://twitter.com/michaelombardi/status/230474231165636608

Obviously MJD wants financial security, but could this be another factor in his holdout? Maybe he feels disrespected if the HC hasn't even made an overture to meet him.

And on the same note, from afar it seems like the Jags are having a rough camp. Robinson and Mike Thomas were struggling, Blackmon and MJD yet to sign, Rackley injured and Gabbert being Gabbert.

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 10:03 PM

You are a Rams fan. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. You need to win a few games before you can point out anything resembling a flaw of any other team if you're team sucks as bad as it does.

armageddon
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
You are a Rams fan. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. You need to win a few games before you can point out anything resembling a flaw of any other team if you're team sucks as bad as it does.

What I said has nothing to do with being a Rams fan. It was just an observation from watching them. I had Welker and Hernandez on my FF team and saw numerous Pats games. I am actually a fan of theirs.

SuperPacker
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM

Or maybe he just doesn't get all butthurt if someone says anything negative about his team. And it's not as if what he said wasn't correct. The Pat's secondary was donkey **** last year.

Ness
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Even if your personal team isn't very good that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to share opinions on other teams. That's ridiculous.

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Not butthurt just being realistic. Our pass defense wasn't good at all, but neither were the Rams as a whole. No news here.

Ness
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Not butthurt just being realistic. Our pass defense wasn't good at all, but neither were the Rams as a whole. No news here.

The premise of the discussion had nothing to do with the Rams in the first place though.

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM

There was no real discussion in the first place, just a comment made by him at one of my posts and I responded to it.

Ness
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
I thought it clearly had to do with Gronkowski as he was responding to a comment regarding Gronkowski not being covered. At most, it had to do with the Patriots organization (can anyone cover?), but not the Rams.

SuperPacker
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Is he not allowed to comment on the Patriots, because he's a Rams fan?

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I get it. He made a lulz, I said something back. It hurt your feelings. Patriots pass defense sucks, don't make fun of the Rams. Moving on.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/NFL/decade/K/apg-vertical.jpg

SuperPacker
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Or just don't answer the question...

Ness
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I get it. He made a lulz, I said something back. It hurt your feelings. Patriots pass defense sucks, don't make fun of the Rams. Moving on.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/NFL/decade/K/apg-vertical.jpg

Piece of advice for the future: don't use the "well your team sucks so you can't say anything about my team" card. It just doesn't make sense. That's all I was getting at.

Borat
07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm a 49er fan. Our defense was insanely good last year. I do believe that I now have the proper authority to proclaim that the 2011 Patriots defense was a giant bottle of shitfuck.

Brodeur
07-31-2012, 11:07 PM

nBelT-Xi1CY

WCH
07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm a 49er fan. Our defense was insanely good last year. I do believe that I now have the proper authority to proclaim that the 2011 Patriots defense was a giant bottle of shitfuck.

I'm a Packer fan, and our pass defense was an even bigger bottle of shitfuck. I feel like sitting through 17 games of shitfuck pass defense makes me uniquely qualified to pass judgment, and to say that the Pats were better, but not by much.

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Once Hall went down the Bengals could not cover anybody last year.

Clements could not cover anybody with any speed at all.
Kelly Jennings was awful.
Adam Jones out of position most of the time.

As I said once Hall was out. Can't expect much from a bunch of journeyman corners and that is why we drafted Kpat. Also, when corners get beat there should usually be a safety somewhere in the vicinity to aid in that. Ours where nowhere to be found as they have been for a very long time.

Don Vito
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Four of the worst pass defenses statistically last year were NE, Packers, Giants, and Saints. The statistics were telling on the Pats and Packers, not too sure if the Saints and Giants were that bad, but two of those teams obviously made it to the Super Bowl and a ton of people thought the Packers and Saints would go.

brat316
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
pklayiff d bad as well

NotMyJob
08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
lol, the past 1.5 pages are full of butt-hurt.

anyway, count me in on the "thank God we got rid of Chris Crocker" train. he was complete garbage.

K Train
08-01-2012, 06:53 AM

im pretty sure thats not how it works lol

Ben ijalana tore his ACL again, he was going to be a key part of that colts OL this year. 2 years out of football, sucks

K Train
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
At this stage in his career, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen isn't looking to tango on a daily basis with someone looking to show off. He made that very clear a couple weeks ago during an appearance on NBC SportsTalk. "Just don't touch me," Allen said. "I'm too old to deal with overzealous rookies right now. Keep your hands out of my face, don't grab my jersey, and we won't have to fist fight." It appears Matt Kalil missed that interview. Per a tweet Tuesday from Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com, the rookie left tackle "stonewalled" Allen on consecutive plays during practice, which incited the rage of Allen, who cursed loudly. This is good news for the Vikings if Kalil is able to hold his own against an All-Pro fresh off a 22-sack season. Minnesota invested its No. 4 overall pick in Kalil, hoping it has found the long-term cornerstone of its offensive line and blind side protection to quarterback Christian Ponder.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/matt-kalil-jared-allen-vikings-training-camp/1#.UBlB86AZxUU

Jared Allen getting pissed kalil blocked the **** out of him

Don Vito
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Well what does he expect him to do, let him go by because he's older

WCH
08-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I hope Allen was joking. He should man up and give the kid everything he has. It'll make Kalil a better player, which will make the Vikings a better team.

BeerBaron
08-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Well what does he expect him to do, let him go by because he's older

I think he probably got used to going up against the trash the Vikings have had at LT for the past few years. Now that there is someone competent, he's frustrated.

K Train
08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I hope Allen was joking. He should man up and give the kid everything he has. It'll make Kalil a better player, which will make the Vikings a better team.

apparently he was really really pissed, in a non joking kind of way. He really should feel good about kalil being able to block him, thats such a positive thing for the teams offense

Giantsfan1080
08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm sick of Jared Allen and his shtick.

Ron
08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I love me some Jared Allen. Best DE in the league.

prock
08-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Jared Allen >>> all

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM

I found this pretty hilarious. I don't know if you truly believe this or you just got your feelings hurt.

Don Vito
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
No I don't believe it, I was in New York this past weekend and I think I am still in defend the Pats at all costs mode. Can't help it, it should blow over in a few days

Bengals78
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Everyone gets pissed when someone goes "all out" at training camp this early. In a day or two Allen will adjust and probably give Kalil a mullet while he sleeps.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
The Pats defense wasn't that that awful actually. They were a bend but don't break defense (the kind I hate). So they gave up a ton of yards which makes them look bad statistically, but they were middle of the pack in terms of points allowed, and to me, that matters much more than yards.

They have potential to be a decent defense this year. I don't like them switching to a 4-3, which is what it sounds like they're going to do, but their defense might be that bad this year.

Don Vito
08-01-2012, 12:18 PM
The Pats defense wasn't that that awful actually. They were a bend but don't break defense (the kind I hate). So they gave up a ton of yards which makes them look bad statistically, but they were middle of the pack in terms of points allowed, and to me, that matters much more than yards.

They have potential to be a decent defense this year. I don't like them switching to a 4-3, which is what it sounds like they're going to do, but their defense might be that bad this year.

That bend don't break was frusturating to watch, but considering how undermanned we were at some spots on defense it was somewhat effective. We were good in the red zone and middle of the pack in points allowed like you said. I have a had time believing there won't be at the very least a slight improvement this year.

As far as scheme I think we will give a lot of different looks, and the additions of Hightower and Jones give us some more flexibility in that regard. Jermaine Cunningham has looked good too and he could be a difference maker in the rotation if he plays to his ability.

The keys are McCourty and Dowling, with McCourty being the biggest one. If he plays like he did as a rookie that would be huge.

Giantsfan1080
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
That bend don't break was frusturating to watch, but considering how undermanned we were at some spots on defense it was somewhat effective. We were good in the red zone and middle of the pack in points allowed like you said. I have a had time believing there won't be at the very least a slight improvement this year.

As far as scheme I think we will give a lot of different looks, and the additions of Hightower and Jones give us some more flexibility in that regard. Jermaine Cunningham has looked good too and he could be a difference maker in the rotation if he plays to his ability.

The keys are McCourty and Dowling, with McCourty being the biggest one. If he plays like he did as a rookie that would be huge.

I was just coming in here to say the exact same thing. McCourty needs to go back to his rookie year play.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2012, 12:33 PM

That's the thing that confuses me. Hightower is a guy I see as your SOLB in a 3-4 or a ILB in a 3-4, or a DE in a 4-3, but he's really built to play in a 3-4.

Jones on the other hand is pretty much a 4-3 LE. He can play UT in a 4 man line but he's pretty much built to play a 4-3 alignment.

So when you think about it, they have 2 players each that are built to play exclusively in 1 scheme, but neither of them are built to play for the same scheme. That seems counterproductive to me.

Maybe Jones can fill out his frame and play as a 3-4 DE, but as of right now, I don't get how he fits on the Patriots, especially since you guys switch up your alignments so much.

I don't see the point of drafting Jones that high if he's just a situational player on a 4 man line that you'll use probably 35% of the time at most.

McCourty is definitely the key though. I don't understand how he went from looking so good to looking so bad.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
This just in: Blaine Gabbert still sucks.

I wonder if he starts this year.

Bengals78
08-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Wade Phillips compares JJ Watt to Howie Long and says he is HoF bound.
FINALLY someone else who loves him as much as me.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't disagree with him. I love me some Watt. I think he's gonna be a beast.

I was relieved when the Cowboys passed up on him. The thought of Watt and Ware on the same side of the line rushing the passer scared me.

Watt fits the 3-4 perfectly. I don't know how effective he'd be as a 4-3 DT, but he built to play 3-4.

Bengals78
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
He would be perfect in any defense.

TACKLE
08-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Wade Phillips compares JJ Watt to Howie Long and says he is HoF bound.
FINALLY someone else who loves him as much as me.

Finally? You know I had your back on all matters related to Mr. Justin James Watt.

WCH
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
This just in: Blaine Gabbert still sucks.

I wonder if he starts this year.

If only there were a public forum where, before he was drafted, a whole bunch of nerds pointed out that his accuracy sucks and his pocket presence is non-existent.

Bengals78
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Finally? You know I had your back on all matters related to Mr. Justin James Watt.

I know
I should have specified "someone in the NFL"

Babylon
08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Two most interesting QB battles for me, Jake Locker vs Matt Hasselbeck for the Titans and Russell Wilson vs. Matt Flynn for the Seahawks. All sorts of Seattle roots in those two battles.

My guess is it will be Locker and Flynn coming out of those two contests.

BeerBaron
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Locker/Hasselbeck is interesting. I think with Hasselbeck, the Titans are going to go roughly .500 again, with a lower ceiling and higher floor.

With Locker, if they let him take his lumps, could potentially have a higher ceiling but lower floor. But they'd get a guy with franchise tools his first real starting experience.

I'd personally go with Locker the whole year, let him ride out any struggles, and be better off for it down the line.

Ron
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Locker/Hasselbeck is interesting. I think with Hasselbeck, the Titans are going to go roughly .500 again, with a lower ceiling and higher floor.

With Locker, if they let him take his lumps, could potentially have a higher ceiling but lower floor. But they'd get a guy with franchise tools his first real starting experience.

I'd personally go with Locker the whole year, let him ride out any struggles, and be better off for it down the line.

I think they got to go with Locker. Having a QB sit for more than 1 year is too much imo. With CJ, Wright, a good line and Britt(for part of the year at least) the Titans have done enough to set up Locker for success at this point.

BeerBaron
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/01/duane-brown-injury-leaves-texans-holding-breath/

Dwayne Brown injures his ankle. He walked off under his own power but was later carted away.

That would be a crushing blow for the Texans to lose him for any length of time. They had the best o-line in football last year imo and he may have been the best part. With Winston gone, and now possibly Brown for at least a while, that suddenly looks like a weak area.

And Brown was so beastly last year.

VAfy-ya
08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
He would be perfect in any defense.

He would be effective in any defense but 5-Tech, especially Wade's more 1-gap style fits him like a glove. Scary how good he's gonna be in a another year or two. I think Cam Jordan could have had a similar impact if he landed in a 3-4. Had Jordan rated just slighty ahead of Watt as 5-Tech. But I loved them both, no ****.

VAfy-ya
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Add Peter King to the list of believers after the Sports Illustrated reporter took in a recent Niners practice.

"When I saw Randy Moss come off the line of scrimmage and fake Perrish Cox so severely that Cox slipped and Randy Moss ran across the middle and caught a beautiful crossing throw," King told NFL Network's Rich Eisen on Tuesday. "And then ran a 9-route, you know, the long deep ball down the sideline, and beat Carlos Rodgers, who had an excellent year last year."

"Randy Moss absolutely has something left. If he stays healthy, five weeks from now I think you're going to see Randy Moss as a contributing player on a playoff offense."

King has been a d-bag in recent years on most things Niner related so I was surprised to see him give such a glowing review of us in his SI blog.

AntoinCD
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
He would be effective in any defense but 5-Tech, especially Wade's more 1-gap style fits him like a glove. Scary how good he's gonna be in a another year or two. I think Cam Jordan could have had a similar impact if he landed in a 3-4. Had Jordan rated just slighty ahead of Watt as 5-Tech. But I loved them both, no ****.

I liked Jordan more as a base left end who can slide inside depending on the situation more than a full on 5 tech. As far as 5 tech prospects go I don't remember a better one than Watt

WCH
08-01-2012, 02:10 PM
King has been a d-bag in recent years on most things Niner related so I was surprised to see him give such a glowing review of us in his SI blog.

Don't get excited. King likes players who make for a decent redemption/comeback story. I'm not betting against Moss -- I think he'll be good -- but Peter King is doing what he does.

SolidGold
08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Don't get excited. King likes players who make for a decent redemption/comeback story. I'm not betting against Moss -- I think he'll be good -- but Peter King is doing what he does.

I agree about King - he is a journalist so he is looking for angles all the time. With that said I hope Moss has a comeback year and makes an impact.

Ness
08-01-2012, 02:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/01/duane-brown-injury-leaves-texans-holding-breath/

Dwayne Brown injures his ankle. He walked off under his own power but was later carted away.

That would be a crushing blow for the Texans to lose him for any length of time. They had the best o-line in football last year imo and he may have been the best part. With Winston gone, and now possibly Brown for at least a while, that suddenly looks like a weak area.

I would just bit the bullet and tried to retain Brisiel and Winston. I'm surprised they lost both of them, and now Brown might be out for a while. That's three good starters on arguably the best offensive line in football last season. Especially if your quarterback has had injury problems in the past and you run a specific zone blocking scheme.

BeerBaron
08-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Well, they CUT Winston. Supposedly failed a physical or some such nonsense...which is BS because he signed with the Chiefs pretty might right away and figures to be the starter.

Kubiak is trying to be late 90s Shanahan I guess. Cycle the o-line with mostly cast offs and late rounders while running the ZBS. He had a good group, but now that they could be down to reserve tackles on both sides....not good.

VAfy-ya
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I liked Jordan more as a base left end who can slide inside depending on the situation more than a full on 5 tech. As far as 5 tech prospects go I don't remember a better one than Watt

I still like him more as a 5-Tech. Watt was more stout as a anchor and stronger at the POA but I thought Jordan's athleticism gave him a slightly higher ceiling and could help compensate while he improved his strength and technique. And I think in Wade's scheme it would have been even less of an issue, as Wade allows his ends to penatrate and get upfield more than most 3-4 DCs in base sets.

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2012, 02:37 PM

It's been good to see him playing so well, I questioned that pick at the time. Though not so positive he's an excellent player in any scheme but for what they do he's a perfect fit. Was then and it's evident now.

BeerBaron
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
It's been good to see him playing so well, I questioned that pick at the time. Though not so positive he's an excellent player in any scheme but for what they do he's a perfect fit. Was then and it's evident now.

The crazy thing is that he bulked up to 320 while staying that athletic. I remember a couple of times last year where he'd tear off down the field to pancake safeties. Throw in the 2.5 sacks allowed (though I'm always suspicious of stats like that since it can be a little subjective) and he may have been the best all around LT in the league last year.

armageddon
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Rams OT's Saffold and Smith trying to block DE's Long and Quinn is getting ugly. Don't know if Quinn and Long are that good or if Saffold and Smith are that bad. Hopefully the first part. Either way, it should only help Smith and Saffold having to block those 2 every day.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I think your OTs are just that bad. Smith is a certified bust at this point, and Saffold is very bleh.

I loved both Quinn and Long coming out, but neither are Reggie White, so if both are playing like it it's probably bc your OTs suck.

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
It's probably a lot of both though. Quinn & Long will be 1 of the best bookend DE's in the league this year, I think Quinn is ready to bust out with how he finished the season. Also sucks that STL keeps trying to find Tackles and failing miserably everytime.

TACKLE
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
It's probably a lot of both though. Quinn & Long will be 1 of the best bookend DE's in the league this year, I think Quinn is ready to bust out with how he finished the season. Also sucks that STL keeps trying to find Tackles and failing miserably everytime.

I could see 25+ sacks between the two of 'em.

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't disagree with him. I love me some Watt. I think he's gonna be a beast.

I was relieved when the Cowboys passed up on him. The thought of Watt and Ware on the same side of the line rushing the passer scared me.

Watt fits the 3-4 perfectly. I don't know how effective he'd be as a 4-3 DT, but he built to play 3-4.

You do realize who we took instead of Watt right? I love me some JJ Watt, but I'd take Tyron Smith over him 100 times out of 100. He's 21 and one of the best young Tackles in the game, his feet and athleticism are scary good. We had to protect Romo, and considering we have to play you guys, Watt would have done us no good for making sure our QB was in 1 piece.