PDA

View Full Version : Did ESPN cross the line by showing the Jets FAKE PUNT PLAYS at TC

gpngc
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Jaws even went so far as to break them down.

I know everyone has fakes, but to televise them and break them down is crossing the line.

Of course seeing Tebow as an up-back, no team is going to be surprised and everyone will be prepared, sort of eliminating the point of a fake - to catch your opponent off guard.

Then I had a thought that maybe the Jets were purposely doing this to show the rest of the league that they have the threat of a fake on every fourth down, limiting the return efforts of opponents who have to be ready for fakes and can't put all their eggs in the punt block or punt return basket.....

But there's no way Rex is THAT clever...

Maybe the Jets messed up and didn't realize? It's a bad job by ESPN to be so intrusive on something that should be secret.

Anyway, does anybody agree with me that with all this coverage of TCs (which I absolutely love), some things like ******* FAKE PUNT PLAYS should be off limits?

BeerBaron
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
They shouldn't have turned themselves into such a damn side show. This kind of thing wouldn't happen otherwise.

Pat Sims 90
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
It's the Jets fault anyway for letting ESPN tape there, so it really does not matter.

Complex
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
It's the Jets fault anyway for letting ESPN tape there, so it really does not matter.

I think they did it on purpose.

Thecollegedropout
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
ESPN is based in Conn. which is apart if not near the New England market so of course they'll try and expose them. LOL J/K

But yeah its pretty lame. I do think the Jets are going to try this out in the preseason however so it'll be on film. Will teams really commit to this come the regular season and be ready to pounce on this though and leave their return man high and dry? Mike Westoff has a method for his madness, if there's one Jets coach I have full faith in....its his special teams.

But yeah its lame. Its about as lame as Bob Holtzman spitting out 1-2 hours before a Steelers/Ravens game on ESPN Countdown that Mike Tomlin told him in private that the Steelers plan on starting their 1st offensive play by attempting a huge throw/gadget play....despite Tomlin saying to Holtzman to not say a thing afterwords.

Was awesome to see Tomlin call Holtzman out on his **** the next day and basically call him a weasel.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/01/video-mike-tomlin-scolds-bob-holtzman-of-espn-for-giving-out-plays/

MI_Buckeye
07-31-2012, 12:47 AM
It probably won't make a lick of difference, but yeah; it's tacky.

Fakes are based on timing, so if they pick the right spots, it shouldn't make much of a difference. However, it doesn't seem too professional to leak sensitive schematic information in a game where deception is so important.

Nothing new here though. This is exactly the type of ethical judgment I have come to expect from ESPN.

themaninblack
07-31-2012, 05:56 AM
If the Jets were really trying to keep those plays a secret this would've never happened. They wanted other teams to see them just so they have it in the back of their mind. Might actually help out their coverage unit in a situation where a fake is plausible. Unorthodox, sure, but this was no accident IMO.

Caddy
07-31-2012, 06:06 AM
If the Jets knew they were filming, there is no issue.

Bucs_Rule
07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
ESPN is based in Conn. which is apart if not near the New England market so of course they'll try and expose them. LOL J/K

But yeah its pretty lame. I do think the Jets are going to try this out in the preseason however so it'll be on film. Will teams really commit to this come the regular season and be ready to pounce on this though and leave their return man high and dry? Mike Westoff has a method for his madness, if there's one Jets coach I have full faith in....its his special teams.

But yeah its lame. Its about as lame as Bob Holtzman spitting out 1-2 hours before a Steelers/Ravens game on ESPN Countdown that Mike Tomlin told him in private that the Steelers plan on starting their 1st offensive play by attempting a huge throw/gadget play....despite Tomlin saying to Holtzman to not say a thing afterwords.

Was awesome to see Tomlin call Holtzman out on his **** the next day and basically call him a weasel.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/01/video-mike-tomlin-scolds-bob-holtzman-of-espn-for-giving-out-plays/

It's also very stupid by Holtzman. No coach would talk to him again.

jackalope
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
If the Jets knew they were filming, there is no issue.

Right. The cameras were rolling. They could have requested those specific plays not be shown, but you can't blame ESPN for showing something they were told they could film.

Ness
07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I get the feeling no other team is going to care.

Jvig43
08-01-2012, 06:08 AM
If you want to be asking if anyone is crossing the line, ask if it was Ryan, not espn. I'm seriously lost as to how espn crossed the line when the Jets let them film these plays.

descendency
08-01-2012, 06:33 AM
They're not exposing anything. Tebow is a punt protector on regular punt plays too.

Shane P. Hallam
08-01-2012, 06:53 AM
It's also very stupid by Holtzman. No coach would talk to him again.

It was players who gave it to Holtzman, not Tomlin.