PDA

View Full Version : CB/KR/PR Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu Kicked Out of LSU

Complex
08-10-2012, 12:07 PM
He failed another drug test his 4th or 5th and now got kicked. Where does he go in the draft?

jrdrylie
08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm glad somebodye agrees with me on him. I think he is highly overrated. He's good, but he would not have half this hype if his nickname wasn't Honey Badger.

Some people hyped him as a possible first round pick. But the fact is he is an undersized tweener who doesn't have great speed. I thought his ceiling was a slot corner. With all these issues, he's a 4th or 5th rounder in my eyes.

SolidGold
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I thought he was a good player - he seemed to always be around the ball and make plays. He is a very good college player for sure but as a pro prospect he did not project as well. Still its a loss for that LSU defense although Ron Brooks impressed me last night vs the Redskins.

TitanHope
08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I hope no one compares this to be like the Janoris Jenkins outcome. Mathieu doesn't have that level of talent. This is like if Cortland Finnegan got busted multiple times for drugs. And actually, Mathieu may not even have Finny's speed, so that may be generous.

He had questions prior to drugs, but I wonder how many times teams will pass on a guy who is a major playmaker, on both defense and special teams.

Shane P. Hallam
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
He'll go high in the draft still if he has a good 2013 season somewhere else, but I can't say I'm a huge fan either.

OSUGiants17
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
late 2nd early 3rd. He is still physical and can make plays. He was overrated as a corner, but there is no denying in a zone scheme or as a slot corner he would excell in the pros. Yes he is undersized, but he has a 6th sense of just knowing how to get the ball into his hands. His return skills were overrated, but he wasn't bad. There is a difference between overrated and just being flat out bad, the kid was overrated definitely, but he is still a good ball player. Any ideas where he will go? Maybe he, Crowell, and Dyer can all team up at the same d2 school!

Don Vito
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
What a tard. Say what you want about his NFL future, but this is a big blow to LSU. Yes they have a talented secondary but he was the spark and attitude of that team, not to mention a Heisman finalist.

He is not going to be Revis, Scrabble, Woodson, or an elite NFL shutdown corner but he is a Finnegan type player when it comes to his attitude and chippiness that rubs off on everyone around him. I'd put him somewhere between Finnegan and Antoine Winfield as far as what kind of player he is.

If a team drafts him to be a number one corner they will be disappointed, but that isn't going to happen. He could be a great addition to a team as a #2/#3 corner and he will be an ace on special teams. Everyone knows what he brings to the table, and outside of ESPN nobody is expecting him to be a lockdown #1 corner in the NFL.

JRTPlaya21
08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
He will fit in well in Cincy or Oakland.

TitanHope
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Nickelbacks should be a commodity. The 3rd CB is becoming a prominent position on several teams, and is treated as a starting position on some teams due to the amount of snaps that the spot sees - especially in the heavy passing schemes we see. So even if he's not seen as a #1 CB, he can still be seen as a starter, which is worth an early pick. Especially with his playmaking ability, willingness to play the run, and blitzing ability.

4th RD is probably is the lazy guess. Those things are like draftnikian heroine in the forum mocks. Don't know how much a guy is worth? Eh, trade a 4th for him. Don't know about taking a guy? 4th is early enough to take the chance.

Pat Sims 90
08-10-2012, 01:40 PM

No Mike Zimmer does not like undersized players.

Ron
08-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I think he would be a good fit on the Packers to replace Woodson. Ill say end of the second round for him

descendency
08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I think he's a late rounder, but I'd take him in NE.

He's a nickel DB.

This guy isn't going to be drafted in the first 3 rounds now. NFL teams won't touch guys with multiple red flags that high, even dumb ones are smarter than that.

P-L
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Honey Badger was originally overrated, but has now become ridiculously underrated. Like it has been said, he's not going to play the outside but that doesn't mean he can't be very valuable. It's been beaten to death, but he is perfect for the role that Charles Woodson is playing this year in Green Bay. Put him at safety in base packages and have him play the slot in nickel packages. His ball skills are unreal, he can play the run, tackles well, and is pretty solid in zone coverage.

P-L
08-10-2012, 04:56 PM
I hope no one compares this to be like the Janoris Jenkins outcome.
Regardless of talent, this is different. Jenkins never actually failed a drug trust. He was also only caught physically in possession once. The second arrest was actually when a cop (the same one that arrested him the first time) found pot in Jenkins' buddy's car, in which Jenkins was a passenger. That is much different than failing three drug tests, especially after knowing that strike three means you're gone.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
If a legit stud like Janoris cant go round 1 (still the dumbest move of last draft) then Mathieu is headed for day 3

brat316
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Ufl, Ufl, Ufl

fenikz
08-10-2012, 06:46 PM
They will teach him how to pass drug tests during the rookie symposium he will be fine

underscore
08-10-2012, 07:27 PM
He'll be at McNeese State this year

Brent
08-11-2012, 08:57 AM
They will teach him how to pass drug tests during the rookie symposium he will be fine
Fenikz. This is why I like you so much.

Bengals78
08-11-2012, 09:40 AM

What is it 2005 again?

He will fit in well in Detroit.

Cudders
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
At this point, I think most teams will have a fourth-round ceiling valuation on Mathieu. Repeat drug offenders are bad news to NFL teams. Drug use isn’t stock-crippling because a good portion of the league has at least experimented with illicit substances before. A documented pattern of drug abuse is stock-crippling though. Those prospects, fair or not, are seen as unreliable. And being reliable is one of the most important qualities to coaches.

I’m sure Mathieu was made aware of the stakes at LSU beforehand. If he failed another drug test, he was going to be dismissed from the team. Given that information, he went out and failed another drug test. That will be viewed as a problem. Evaluators will see someone understanding the consequences of their actions and then making a conscious choice to ignore them. Again, fair or not.

The best move to rehabilitate Mathieu’s stock might be to check himself into a clinic of some sort. That would show some initiative. That he’s identified the “problem” and he’s taking the required steps to address it. I think that would help more than a season of FCS football at McNeese State. He’s put together some distinctive, fine film at LSU. That will comprise the foundation of his evaluation regardless.

From an on-field perspective alone, I would give Mathieu a second-round grade based on last season. Like some have said before me, he’s not a lockdown corner that can erase a number one with tight, press man. The other aspects of his skill set aren’t nullified because of that though. He profiles as an excellent slot corner and the value of those are on the rise with the pervasiveness of pass-oriented sub-packages. He’s got a nose for the action, hawking ball skills, ferocious run support, and solid coverage abilities. Simply, he’s a crafty playmaker with special teams utility. That’s got value still. He’s not Darrelle Revis, but he shouldn’t be measured against that standard either. He’s a unique prospect and should be treated as such.

His nickname is stupid and needs to go though.

DcmRulz
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
2nd-3rd round on talent, 6th round (or worse) projection, due to the red flags. Some team will be brash enough to take him on day 2 and think that he can be tamed, or that the playmaking upside makes up for the high risk of suspension.

If I ran a team, I would not be brave enough to take a chance that high.

cmarq83
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Honey Badger was originally overrated, but has now become ridiculously underrated. Like it has been said, he's not going to play the outside but that doesn't mean he can't be very valuable. It's been beaten to death, but he is perfect for the role that Charles Woodson is playing this year in Green Bay. Put him at safety in base packages and have him play the slot in nickel packages. His ball skills are unreal, he can play the run, tackles well, and is pretty solid in zone coverage.

This is where I stand on Mathieu as well. Before this I saw him as a late first early second type guy who would be a great addition to an already good defense. He doesn't give you traditional man cover skills that you look for in a number 1 corner, but he gives you unreal ability in terms of ball-hawking, physicality in run support, and return skills. In a lot of ways that combination is equally as rare as man cover skills. This absolutely murders his stock to the point where I think his ceiling is the 3rd round at the absolute highest even with a great combine, but it would not surprise me one bit to see him succeed in the NFL provided he can stay out of trouble.

YAYareaRB
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
i bet a lot of the people calling him overrated have never actually watched the guy play.

JRTPlaya21
08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
What is it 2005 again?

He will fit in well in Detroit.

Keep that filth out of Detroit.

RaiderDiehard
08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Oakland?

You guys obviously haven't paid close attention to the new regime in town. One of the last teams that would take a chance on the guy.

JRTPlaya21
08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
It's a joke. Chill out....

ChiFan24
08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
i bet a lot of the people calling him overrated have never actually watched the guy play.

This is an NFL draft message board dude. I'd be willing to be that literally everyone here watched LSU multiple times last season.

TheFlash (CDCB)
08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
He's definitely overrated as a prospect, but with the way the NFL is set up for offenses to succeed nowadays, the only way to get stops most of the time is turnovers. Offenses are too good to expect to just stop drives by things like 3 and out's, etc. The name of the game now is takeaways, and like him or not that's what this kid does. Winning the turnover battle is more important than ever now.

He shouldn't be a starter because again with the WR's nowadays he'd get destroyed, but as a playmaker/slot/returner he should be a 3rd-4th round pick. He will score a couple touchdowns and create a few turnovers that could be the difference in going 10-6 or 8-8. Plus, he'd probably bring up the attitude of the team a bit, although the NFL is obviously different from college.

If he's there in the 3rd and I need a corner or a playmaker i'm running to the podium.

SolidGold
08-12-2012, 11:07 AM
He's definitely overrated as a prospect, but with the way the NFL is set up for offenses to succeed nowadays, the only way to get stops most of the time is turnovers. Offenses are too good to expect to just stop drives by things like 3 and out's, etc. The name of the game now is takeaways, and like him or not that's what this kid does. Winning the turnover battle is more important than ever now.

He shouldn't be a starter because again with the WR's nowadays he'd get destroyed, but as a playmaker/slot/returner he should be a 3rd-4th round pick. He will score a couple touchdowns and create a few turnovers that could be the difference in going 10-6 or 8-8. Plus, he'd probably bring up the attitude of the team a bit, although the NFL is obviously different from college.

If he's there in the 3rd and I need a corner or a playmaker i'm running to the podium.

Have to disagree with the offenses being too good - the rule changes heavily favor the offense which is why the game is seeing video game numbers in the passing game.

Mathieu would be a good nickel/4th CB playing mostly in zone defense IMO. He does make plays but his size will hurt him - he will not be able to cover the huge tight ends and will struggle if having to play man vs. bigger WRs.

keylime_5
08-12-2012, 12:17 PM
How are you still on the team after failing 3 drug tests? You would think a guy is long gone after 4 or 5 failed drug tests.

kwilk103
08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
How are you still on the team after failing 3 drug tests? You would think a guy is long gone after 4 or 5 failed drug tests.

lsu beat writer says it's at least 4 failed tests to be kicked off the team at lsu

Saints-Tigers
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
This is where I stand on Mathieu as well. Before this I saw him as a late first early second type guy who would be a great addition to an already good defense. He doesn't give you traditional man cover skills that you look for in a number 1 corner, but he gives you unreal ability in terms of ball-hawking, physicality in run support, and return skills. In a lot of ways that combination is equally as rare as man cover skills. This absolutely murders his stock to the point where I think his ceiling is the 3rd round at the absolute highest even with a great combine, but it would not surprise me one bit to see him succeed in the NFL provided he can stay out of trouble.

This is exactly how I feel about him. Might make a really good safety, using him to man up is a huge waste of his talent.

underscore
08-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Mathieu is sitting out the 2012 season and entering rehab

Cudders
08-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Mathieu is sitting out the 2012 season and entering rehab

Best thing he can do for his draft stock.

No matter what, certain teams won't have him on their big board or consider him to be a draftable prospect based on character concerns. There was nothing he could do to change their mind. But this move shows teams that are potentially interested that maybe he learned his lesson and now he is taking the necessary steps to rectify the issue.

Being a full season removed from football might be brought up as a negative, but Mathieu going out and dominating the Southland conference at McNeese State isn't much of a positive either. The sum of his LSU film will be how he is viewed.

K Train
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
weed rehab? lmao

YAYareaRB
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
This is an NFL draft message board dude. I'd be willing to be that literally everyone here watched LSU multiple times last season.

you would be surprised how many people just repeat things they hear on prospects without actually watching them play.

i just dont understand how he's overrated. literally, nobody(in terms of draft experts) is rating him high as a prospect. but, as a college football player, he's definitely one of the best. besides RGIII, mathieu was the biggest difference maker in the nation last season.

K Train
08-17-2012, 01:33 PM
eh, hes a good return man and has a knack for punching/stripping the ball. Being a difference maker doesnt make you a good pro prospect no matter how impactful you are

see: Tebow, Timothy

princefielder28
08-17-2012, 02:29 PM
He's a solid strong safety prospect and provides considerable upside on special teams. There's the question marks with weed but he's at least taken the necessary step to admit that he may have an issue. I feel he's still a late 2nd-3rd round prospect.

underscore
08-17-2012, 07:32 PM
weed rehab? lmao

There are rumor (and if he's entering rehab, probably some truth to them) that it was cocaine.

YAYareaRB
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
eh, hes a good return man and has a knack for punching/stripping the ball. Being a difference maker doesnt make you a good pro prospect no matter how impactful you are

see: Tebow, Timothy

eh, like i said nobody (including myself) is rating him high as a prospect. again, AS A COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER, Mathieu is one of the best.

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm glad somebodye agrees with me on him. I think he is highly overrated. He's good, but he would not have half this hype if his nickname wasn't Honey Badger.

Some people hyped him as a possible first round pick. But the fact is he is an undersized tweener who doesn't have great speed. I thought his ceiling was a slot corner. With all these issues, he's a 4th or 5th rounder in my eyes.

This makes it hard to even take your post serious. But yea, I'm sure all his hype comes from a nickname, not creating turnovers or scoring on returns in big games. He might be overrated in a bunch of crowds, but people like you make an even stronger case for him being underrated when you say stuff like that. I guess we should just ignore all the impact plays he made in huge games and focus on a nickname though.

PossibleCabbage
08-21-2012, 01:33 AM
With some work, he can probably be a serviceable slot corner in the nickel in the NFL (which is a starting position on some teams), but there's not a lot I really like there. Technique trumps everything in DB play, and more than anything else his technique is sloppy.

He was already a love/hate prospect, and I don't think that recent events are going to make anybody love him any more.

I'd take him in the fourth though, but not earlier.

Flyboy
08-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Become a Saint next year, Tyrann. You know you want to.

PossibleCabbage
08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Apparently he's not going to play football at all in 2012, which means that declaring for the 2013 draft is unlikely.

Razor
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Apparently he's not going to play football at all in 2012, which means that declaring for the 2013 draft is unlikely.
Until he realizes that he has no money to buy weed and declares anyways...

PossibleCabbage
08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Until he realizes that he has no money to buy weed and declares anyways...

I think one of the reasons he's taking a year off is to kick the drug habit, so good for him. I'm not sure if "sitting out a year" is really going to help his draft stock much, and being drafted on day 3 won't buy you that much weed.

villagewarrior
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Mathieu's knack for being in the right place at the right time is something that can't be taught. His instincts kind of remind me of Polamalu, but he would be a severely undersized safety.

Also, wasn't his suspension last year a result of K2? That's what I had heard, no idea if its true or not. If it is, that is a significantly worse issue than weed.

PossibleCabbage
08-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Also, wasn't his suspension last year a result of K2? That's what I had heard, no idea if its true or not. If it is, that is a significantly worse issue than weed.

I don't even know what that is, so either it's a really big deal, or not that big a deal at all.

Cigaro
08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't even know what that is, so either it's a really big deal, or not that big a deal at all.

Its a mountain in the Himalayas. Supposed to be quite difficult, more so than Everest.

(It also a name for synthetic marijuana, with potentially serious side effects.)

BamaFalcon59
08-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Second round pick, IMO.

PossibleCabbage
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Its a mountain in the Himalayas. Supposed to be quite difficult, more so than Everest.

(It also a name for synthetic marijuana, with potentially serious side effects.)

The first one I knew, but not the second. Interesting, the synthetic marijuana is significantly worse for you than the natural kind? I can't imagine anybody at a major university (least of all a major athlete) not having access to the natural kind (even if it is illegal.)

So that's kind of weird.

Second round pick, IMO.

You take a guy in the second round after he sits out of football for a year in order to get a serious drug problem under control? Especially a guy who doesn't fit an obvious NFL mold (just ask yourself "which current NFL players does Mathieu remind you of?")

Interesting.

Cigaro
08-27-2012, 05:56 PM
The first one I knew, but not the second. Interesting, the synthetic marijuana is significantly worse for you than the natural kind? I can't imagine anybody at a major university (least of all a major athlete) not having access to the natural kind (even if it is illegal.)

So that's kind of weird.

Can be. They are cheaply created chemicals created with little regard to health concerns. You can suffer extreme anxiety, heart attacks, seizures, organ failure and occasionally even death(a basketball player for my hometown university died of the stuff). Most people will just get high(although I have heard its not nearly as enjoyable as the real stuff), but there is no real way to predict how someone will react to it.

As for why its taken, there aren't any good reasons. Some people just want to try it, some people may have access to the natural stuff, but not as easily or cheaply so they just go with synthetic, and some use the synthetic stuff purely for the legality(possession, drug tests, etc.) Obviously LSU still disallowed the synthetic stuff and tested for it, so I honestly don't know what Mathieu's motivation to use this stuff would have been.

fenikz
08-28-2012, 12:48 AM
the thing is its legal for some reason as apposed to weed :/

ellsy82
08-28-2012, 04:02 AM

I'm gonna go with the latter.

PossibleCabbage
08-28-2012, 05:51 PM
the thing is its legal for some reason as apposed to weed :/

But they still get you in trouble with the NCAA and with LSU, which is something Matthieu should be much more concerned about than the cops. I mean "college student gets busted for pot" is not exactly a big deal as far as the law is concerned in most places. "Athlete gets busted with pot, whether synthetic or not" is a big deal with the NCAA and most colleges.

Miaoww
09-02-2012, 09:55 AM
You take a guy in the second round after he sits out of football for a year in order to get a serious drug problem under control? Especially a guy who doesn't fit an obvious NFL mold (just ask yourself "which current NFL players does Mathieu remind you of?")

Interesting.

Which current NFL player did Cam Newton remind you of?

Can't pigeon hole these guys.

PossibleCabbage
09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Which current NFL player did Cam Newton remind you of?

Can't pigeon hole these guys.

But the "who does this guy remind you of" question is something that actual NFL scouts and general managers consider in actual NFL war rooms. It's possible that someone is an unprecedented talent, and that merits further consideration (though I would say that Cam Newton reminded me of Ben Roethlisberger, but with better wheels.)

The thing is though that guys who are unprecedented talents are rare. 5-9 180 lb defensive backs without great speed or technique are not especially rare. Mathieu's aggressiveness and instincts are rare, but the fact that he's short, small, slow, and his technique is iffy means that he's going to be a hard sell in a lot of war rooms, since he's not an obvious fit anywhere.

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't know where people get the idea that he's slow from. The dude is very explosive.

Cudders
09-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Mathieu might be undersized, but there are two elements of his skill set that just canít be taught. Thatís aggressiveness and ball skills.

As a coach, I can teach him to shift his weight at the line. I can teach him how to use his hands. I can teach him proper footwork. I can teach him how to position himself at the top of his back pedal. If he shows heís coachable at the Senior Bowl practices, and then does the same at the NFL Combine position drills, then I can teach him these things. Sloppiness in technique isnít a permanent state.

What I canít teach him is aggressiveness. Thatís a mind set thatís tough to ingrain in someone. Iíve seen 6-2, 210 lbs. cornerbacks that are soft as Kleenex and couldnít tackle themselves out of a wet paper bag and never improved. Mathieu is tenacious even though heís just 5-9, 180 lbs. Heíll stick his nose in traffic in run support and heíll battle with receivers in coverage no matter how much size he gives up to them. Cornerback is one of the most demanding positions in football. A lot of corners just canít cope with blowing their assignments or having Calvin Johnson abusing them. Those corners wash out. Iíve seen some factors to suggest that Mathieu isnít one of the ones that will get down on themselves and break.

What I canít teach him are ball skills. And thatís what separates Mathieu from most of his fellow prospects. His ball skills are supreme. Both when the ball is cradled on a runner and when the ball is in the air. He finds it and he fights for it. Those, to me, are valuable qualities that donít come around often at his position, so Iím willing to accept some of the less desirable stuff. Heís got innate football intelligence though. Your head gets your body to the football quicker than your legs ever can.

I expect Mathieu to time slow, too. Heís a short-strider. But, as long as his hips are flexible and his short-area quicks are there, Iím comfortable with his timed speed. I think he profiles best as a slot corner in the NFL. He wonít be matched up against a ton of blazers there, so his long speed isnít as pressing of an issue.

Overall, before the drug issues surfaced, I thought the second round was a fair valuation. Since being dismissed from the team, I think heís much closer to the fourth. He wasnít a special talent to begin with and now heíll have to deal with the stigma of being a user. Janoris Jenkins was a much better prospect as a pure cover corner and he slipped out of the first even though the value of that position is at an all-time high right now.

underscore
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Honey Badger may have no choice but to go pro

A Sports Illustrated cover story reports that former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu received benefits from a night club that could jeopardize his future eligibility.
"Since last January, Mathieu has allowed his image to be used on a flyer promoting an event at a local night club, appeared in several promotional videos online and... received benefits at the club that could affect his eligibility," the story reads. It is widely known that Mathieu is working towards rejoining the LSU football program, re-enrolling in classes after a four week rehab stay, and head coach Les Miles recently said he expects a "happy ending" regarding the two. The junior is obviously trying to make a positive change, but prior missteps may make it all for naught if eligibility cannot be achieved

SniperDosPuntoCero
10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Honey Badger may have no choice but to go pro

A Sports Illustrated cover story reports that former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu received benefits from a night club that could jeopardize his future eligibility.
"Since last January, Mathieu has allowed his image to be used on a flyer promoting an event at a local night club, appeared in several promotional videos online and... received benefits at the club that could affect his eligibility," the story reads. It is widely known that Mathieu is working towards rejoining the LSU football program, re-enrolling in classes after a four week rehab stay, and head coach Les Miles recently said he expects a "happy ending" regarding the two. The junior is obviously trying to make a positive change, but prior missteps may make it all for naught if eligibility cannot be achieved

Can you link?

underscore
10-18-2012, 04:24 AM
From Rotoworld,. but it's obviously citing an SI story

Don Vito
10-25-2012, 05:53 PM
******* ****** just got arrested for weed again

vidae
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Better declare for the draft and enjoy that 4th-5th round salary.

Don Vito
10-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I would have paid a lot of money to see the looks on the faces of Mathieu and Jefferson when the blue lights went off behind them. They saw the sportscenter update flashing before their eyes.

BuckeyeDan17
10-25-2012, 06:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6Ff-MFCMAACnki.jpg

G Mobile
10-25-2012, 06:17 PM
He doesn't have getting away from the cops speed

SolidGold
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
The dude is just pissing away his opportunity

PossibleCabbage
10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
******* ****** just got arrested for weed again

I'm pretty sure he's not draftable at this point. This is after he went through an exhaustive rehabilitation program. It apparently didn't take because the bust that resulted in the arrest of Matthieu as well as a few other former LSU Tigers occurred in Matthieu's apartment.

Razor
10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Mathieu apparently wasn't arrested on charges of intending to distribute. He'll "only" be charged with possession. Still wouldn't touch the guy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8552111/tyrann-mathieu-former-lsu-tigers-cornerback-arrested-drug-charges

Bengals78
10-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Okay, which is a bigger display of stupidity:

Tyrann - at any point in time apparently
or
Jevan Snead - believing Todd McShay

Don Vito
10-25-2012, 08:13 PM
I believe in Snead

jrdrylie
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Definitely not a draftable prospect. He's vastly undersized. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't that fast. And he makes Vince Young look like Albert Einstein. If anyone even signs him, Mathieu will be out of the league in two years.

dannyz
10-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Definitely not a draftable prospect. He's vastly undersized. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't that fast. And he makes Vince Young look like Albert Einstein. If anyone even signs him, Mathieu will be out of the league in two years.

Yes, I still can't believe people said he was still a 1st Rounder after he got kicked out of LSU. I mean he is undersized, not strong or fast enough, huge gambler and then add the Drug problem. I admit he has a nose for the ball and can make som big plays but I don't think he will make it in the NFL.

PossibleCabbage
10-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Yes, I still can't believe people said he was still a 1st Rounder after he got kicked out of LSU. I mean he is undersized, not strong or fast enough, huge gambler and then add the Drug problem. I admit he has a nose for the ball and can make som big plays but I don't think he will make it in the NFL.

What he's good at isn't really something you can teach, and I certainly think he could make it in the NFL if everything breaks right for him, but there's no way I'm spending a pick on him. Maybe in the late 7th if my board is decimated, but there's so much going against Matthieu at this point, it's ridiculous.

yo123
10-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Still can't shake the feeling this guy is going to have a solid NFL career...I'd still take him late.

dannyz
10-26-2012, 01:38 AM
What he's good at isn't really something you can teach, and I certainly think he could make it in the NFL if everything breaks right for him, but there's no way I'm spending a pick on him. Maybe in the late 7th if my board is decimated, but there's so much going against Matthieu at this point, it's ridiculous.

I get that he is like Ed Reed or Charles Woodson with creating turnovers but he would be best used like Troy Polamalu where he could just roam the backfield and sometimes blitz the QB. I just can't see an NFL Team put up with him because he did something so stupid when he had everything in front of him, then gets a second chance but screws up again.

A NFL Team might say one strike and your out and if he were to screw that up he's done. I think he could pull a Vontaze Burfict and go Undrafted but end up starting in the NFL but he could also throw his future away just to get a little high.

badgerbacker
10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I get that he is like Ed Reed or Charles Woodson with creating turnovers but he would be best used like Troy Polamalu where he could just roam the backfield and sometimes blitz the QB. I just can't see an NFL Team put up with him because he did something so stupid when he had everything in front of him, then gets a second chance but screws up again.

A NFL Team might say one strike and your out and if he were to screw that up he's done. I think he could pull a Vontaze Burfict and go Undrafted but end up starting in the NFL but he could also throw his future away just to get a little high.

Before he got himself in all this trouble I wouldn't have minded the Packers bringing him in to eventually take over for the role Charles Woodson is playing now as a floating safety/nickel cornerback/blitzer. With all his off the field stuff I can't say I see it happening. I still wouldn't be upset if he was brought in as an undrafted free agent or something though.

scottyboy
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Still can't shake the feeling this guy is going to have a solid NFL career...I'd still take him late.

this. I feel he can be a REALLY good nickel corner and return man.

jrdrylie
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
this. I feel he can be a REALLY good nickel corner and return man.

He could be a good slot guy and he could be a great returner, but he is never going to see the field. He has serious drug issues. You think that will change when hes making a few hundred thousand dollars a year? He's going to end up with more arrests than TDs & INTs combined.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
He could be a good slot guy and he could be a great returner, but he is never going to see the field. He has serious drug issues. You think that will change when hes making a few hundred thousand dollars a year? He's going to end up with more arrests than TDs & INTs combined.

Serious drug issues? Really? He is just an idiot that needs to quit smoking pot.

Shane P. Hallam
10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Serious drug issues? Really? He is just an idiot that needs to quit smoking pot.

That's a discussion for somewhere else. If he is talented, he will get a chance until he messes up in the NFL. He'll automatically be in the drug program upon entrance so first offense can lead to a suspension.

BigBanger
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Are you for real? This was a college athlete at one point who was a Heisman finalist and sure fire first round draft pick. Look at what he has now? Nothing, but chilling with his drug dealing ex-teammates who all sucked in college football as well and have no future. And if you think he isn't selling drugs, then you are a fool.

Some people. Just no ******* concept of consequences. Needs to quit smoking pot. Yeah, sure. That's all he needs to do. Do you have any life experience? I mean... really, any? WTF

Perfect nickname by the way bc this asshole doesn't care about ****. Not the NFL. Not having money. Not having a future. He just don't care.

Brothgar
10-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I think that he is a guy I would take a mid round flyer on specially as a Lions fan. Once he falls far enough it will be a shock to his system when his actions have real consequences. Getting kicked off from LSU's team in his mind may not have consequences when you talk about his NFL career when you think of the problem children like Pac Man Jones still getting drafted in the first or Jenkins still getting drafted in the 2nd and with Jenkin's success it may allow teams to take a bigger risk. Specially if he does end up living in a place like Seattle (at the risk of getting political) has rather lax marijuana law enforcement so it comes down to passing the drug test as oppose to arrests.

Babylon
10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I think that he is a guy I would take a mid round flyer on specially as a Lions fan. Once he falls far enough it will be a shock to his system when his actions have real consequences. Getting kicked off from LSU's team in his mind may not have consequences when you talk about his NFL career when you think of the problem children like Pac Man Jones still getting drafted in the first or Jenkins still getting drafted in the 2nd and with Jenkin's success it may allow teams to take a bigger risk. Specially if he does end up living in a place like Seattle (at the risk of getting political) has rather lax marijuana law enforcement so it comes down to passing the drug test as oppose to arrests.

Pretty good chance it's going to be legal here a week from tuesday. Not sure that environment would be good for a guy who has a weed problem. Might be just better if he ends up somewhere like the Boston area where......nevermind.

I'll take a chance on a guy who has smoked some weed as opposed to the Lawrence Phillips' of the world who throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs.

PossibleCabbage
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Serious drug issues?

When your drug issues get you suspended, kicked off of your football team, result in the losing of your NCAA eligibility, merit automatic inclusion in the NFL's substance abuse program, and end up in a drug bust in your own apartment then your drug issues are serious. It doesn't matter what your drug of choice is at this point.

Football teams generally don't care about marijuana because it's evil, or it makes you a bad person, or makes you a bad player. Football teams care about marijuana because it's against the law and it gets you suspended. You're of no use to your football team when you can't play, and it's worse when the reason you can't play is "stupid" (i.e. you're suspended or in jail.)

niel89
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM
It's not necessarily a serious drug, but it is a serious issue for him. When he is honestly ******* up the majority of his success because of it then it becomes a serious drug issue.

Bengals78
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
It's not necessarily a serious drug, but it is a serious issue for him. When he is honestly ******* up the majority of his success because of it then it becomes a serious drug issue.

This. It isn't about the severity of the drug (pot vs meth or anything) but the fact that it is against the law and he cant seem to grasp the concept of leaving it alone.

MI_Buckeye
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM
This really pisses me off. Does anybody really view Honey Badger as a menace to society? He very well might not get a chance to pursue a career in a very lucrative practice at which he is very talented, because of irrational stigma of a harmless plant. I hate seeing innocent people's lives ruined because of greedy capitalists, religious moralists and ethically bankrupt politicians who pander to both.

MI_Buckeye
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM

The thing is, this is an artificial issue. Weed obviously does not affect his success on the field when he is allowed to play, and he has not seriously put others at risk because of his affinity for the ganja. Hell, if Congress passed laws against beating off and employers tested me for it, I would be seriously f'ed.

Raiderz4Life
10-27-2012, 12:41 AM
This really pisses me off. Does anybody really view Honey Badger as a menace to society? He very well might not get a chance to pursue a career in a very lucrative practice at which he is very talented, because of irrational stigma of a harmless plant. I hate seeing innocent people's lives ruined because of greedy capitalists, religious moralists and ethically bankrupt politicians who pander to both.

This argument is ********. Him being a danger to anyone was NEVER the point. The point is its illegal for him to smoke weed in school and it will be illegal to smoke weed in the NFL. If you can't control the addiction its a problem no matter the legality.

Marijuana has been legal in CA since '96, yet employers will still drug test...I know MANY stoners who hold jobs no problem by laying off of it when they have to or whatever means they need. If he can't do that that's his problem and he's a complete dumbass.

Bengals78
10-27-2012, 12:54 AM
This argument is ********. Him being a danger to anyone was NEVER the point. The point is its illegal for him to smoke weed in school and it will be illegal to smoke weed in the NFL. If you can't control the addiction its a problem no matter the legality.

Marijuana has been legal in CA since '96, yet employers will still drug test...I know MANY stoners who hold jobs no problem by laying off of it when they have to or whatever means they need. If he can't do that that's his problem and he's a complete dumbass.

Being called a complete dumbass by a mexican should be the wake up call he needs.

Raiderz4Life
10-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Being called a complete dumbass by a mexican should be the wake up call he needs.

-____- I will end you

Ozzy
10-27-2012, 07:35 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2012/1022_large.jpgOctober 22 2012

Then just a few days later he gets arrested for drug use???

WHAT A FRIGGIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously given a great second chance, given hype through SI for his possible turnaround and he does what with it all.......smokes it away..........

Difference between Mathieu and the others that got caught in his apartment, the other players stink, have no future and cannot play in the NFL. They do not lose much if they get caught, Mathieu loses a hole lot more....

Vontaze Burfict turned it around apparently after being undrafted and making some bad choices, but it is a hard road because of the pay difference between where he is at now and where he could have been as a 1st round pick. Same can be said for Mathieu, and there are easily 7 corners I would take over Mathieu in this draft without question and that was before all of this happened.

descendency
10-27-2012, 08:13 AM
The biggest problem I have with this is that he hurt his team 3 times and then was kicked off the team. Instead of showing he could be responsible for himself (and thus a team should trust him), he goes out and continues to make the same stupid decision.

It's not about weed. It's about decisions.

MI_Buckeye
10-27-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm not really making excuses for Honey Badger, clearly he should have better discipline. I am simply saying it's outrageous that anybody lives should be ruined like this because of corrupt and immoral drug policies. I think most of the outrage here should go towards the government and society not Honey Badger.

BTW, marijuana is not legal in CA on a recreational basis. You need a prescription.

Raiderz4Life
10-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm not really making excuses for Honey Badger, clearly he should have better discipline. I am simply saying it's outrageous that anybody lives should be ruined like this because of corrupt and immoral drug policies. I think most of the outrage here should go towards the government and society not Honey Badger.

BTW, marijuana is not legal in CA on a recreational basis. You need a prescription.
Get one for $25 big whoops, you pay they give it to you. Most doctors don't perform any sort of eval.

tjsunstein
10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Where's that Tyrann for Highsman pic?