27. Chicago Bears select Chris Faulk – OT, LSU
28. San Francsico 49ers select Barrett Jones – O-lineman, Alabama
29. New England Patriots select Jake Matthews – OT, Texas A&M
30. Denver Broncos select Knile Davis – RB, Arkansas
31. Green Bay Packers select TJ McDonald – S, USC
32. Houston Texans select Ricky Wagner – OT, Wisconsin

K Train
08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Eifert is a terrible pick for the steelers. Heath Miller is sold and Wes Saunders is a good player for us, looks smooth catching the ball and blocks his ass off. That pick absolutely HAS to be Teo or McDonald. Both huge needs and fits the system perfectly

AntoinCD
08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Eifert is a terrible pick for the steelers. Heath Miller is sold and Wes Saunders is a good player for us, looks smooth catching the ball and blocks his ass off. That pick absolutely HAS to be Teo or McDonald. Both huge needs and fits the system perfectly

Te'o was definitely someone I thought of for the Steelers.

As for the pick, I love Miller and think he is quite underrated, but he will be 31 next year and won't have many more productive years left. As for Saunders, I haven't heard much noise about him but it is a strecth to say a guy with 4 career receptions is a good player. He may develop in to a nice option but Eifert is one of the best TE prospects of the last few years

K Train
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Te'o was definitely someone I thought of for the Steelers.

As for the pick, I love Miller and think he is quite underrated, but he will be 31 next year and won't have many more productive years left. As for Saunders, I haven't heard much noise about him but it is a strecth to say a guy with 4 career receptions is a good player. He may develop in to a nice option but Eifert is one of the best TE prospects of the last few years

it was tough to evaluate saunders playing behind heath in a bruce arians offense. Hes really a lot like miller though, both as a receiver and as a blocker. I do believe hes the future at TE, soft hands and really a great blocker he looks like a black heath miller out there. Teo would almost certainly be the pick long term future at MLB and could realistically play all four LB spots in a pinch

indyfan1985
08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I highly doubt the Colts will be picking 4th overall with Luck at the helm. I can already pick 5 or 6 teams that will be worse than the Colts this year. Vikings, Jags, Dolphins, Browns, Rams, and Cards could all easily be worse than the Colts this year. Colts will be better than a lot of people think. I predict at least 6 wins.

That being said, they should and hopefully will target mostly defensive players and OL in this draft. So players like David Amerson, Jarvis Jones, Sam Montgomery, Xavier Rhodes are all options in round 1.

AntoinCD
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I highly doubt the Colts will be picking 4th overall with Luck at the helm. I can already pick 5 or 6 teams that will be worse than the Colts this year. Vikings, Jags, Dolphins, Browns, Rams, and Cards could all easily be worse than the Colts this year. Colts will be better than a lot of people think. I predict at least 6 wins.

That being said, they should and hopefully will target mostly defensive players and OL in this draft. So players like David Amerson, Jarvis Jones, Sam Montgomery, Xavier Rhodes are all options in round 1.

I think mock drafts at this point of the year will always have people saying "my team will win more games" because all fans have reason for optimism, most notably for Indy as you mentioned is Luck. While I do think Luck will turn out as good as advertised, I think this year will still be a tough year for the Colts.

Offensively outside of Reggie Wayne who is getting up there in age you have an oft-injured Austin Collie and not much else in the passing game except two rookie TEs. Fleener and Allen were both highly touted coming out, but they have not done anything in the NFL yet.

The running game is very poor and the offensive line is well below average, even if Castonzo picks his level up.

But it's the defense that will hinder the Colts more. Freeney and Mathis can still rush the passer but I fail to see another real impct player on that defense in either run or pass situations. In comparison to, say, Jacksonville I would give the Colts the upper hand slightly on offense. MJD is night and day compared to any Colts RB but Jacksonville doesn't have a passing game at all. However they have a defense that verges on elite, the Colts have a defense that verges on mediocrity.

A 4 or 5 win season is a sign of improvement for the Colts. Everyone in the organisation from Pagano to Irsay knows this is not a one year turn around here. A basis needs to be put in place to support Luck on offense while Pagano tries to work with what he has to make a credible defense. It may be another two years before the Colts become a viable playoff team again.

K Train
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
i actually think the colts could be a second place team in that division pretty easily

AntoinCD
08-13-2012, 10:28 AM
i actually think the colts could be a second place team in that division pretty easily

I do think anything is possible, especially with such a talent at QB. However, when evalutaing the Colts roster from 1-53 at the moment they are one of the least talented teams and have shockingly bad depth in some areas.

Houston I see as teh clear front runner in the AFC South. Tennessee have a much better offensive line, better weapons and a potential game breaking (yet frustrating) RB in Johnson. Defensively they are also solid. It all comes down to how well, and how often, Locker plays this year.

Jacksonville I mentioned in the above post. I really think they will play 13 or 14 close games because of their defense. If Gabbert is only asked to drive the offense to score 14 points to win a game, particularly with a fresh MJD then I could realistically see them winning 6 or 7 games.

As it stands, and this could all change by the end of September depending on how well Luck plays, I am not sure I can see too many games on the Indy schedule where I would classify them as favourites

redbills
08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Bills take a OT? Care to explain that one?

K Train
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
i think with them playing a 34 now they could be a surprising defensive team, especially if jerry hughes finds a home at OLB and josh chapman can contribute in the middle.

Imo Wayne, the two TEs (espeically fleener), Austin Collie, and Hilton could be a solid offensive unit, it would require donald brown to step it up a bit but just getting luck could go a long way in puting together a decent season. houston is a clear favorite, but i dont see why the colts can be competitive even against them

AntoinCD
08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Bills take a OT? Care to explain that one?

Simple answer??? I don't believe Cordy Glenn is a franchise LT and I think he will be exposed this year. I think he could a very good RT and an elite OG, but I never bought the hype of him being a LT

redbills
08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Well Nix and Whaley disagree with ya on that and he held his own vs Orakpo. Time will tell but I am sure they will give him more than 1 year at LT no matter what. hell they gave Bell 2 years before he started to get good.

AntoinCD
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Well Nix and Whaley disagree with ya on that and he held his own vs Orakpo. Time will tell but I am sure they will give him more than 1 year at LT no matter what. hell they gave Bell 2 years before he started to get good.

I think he will definitely get his shot and based on the last two years the Bills front office has done a helluva job evaluating and getting better talent in.

But the way I see it, and you can correct me as you will have a better knowledge of the team, but at this point the only real "needs" I see are QB (possibly), OT (possibly), maybe WR and LB.

Te'o makes sense but the Bills are going to have a borderline elite defense as it is. It's offense where they may need the help.

Unless they fall in love with someone to trade up at the QB position or really like someone like Landry Jones then I don't see them moving on from Fitz yet.

Marquess Wilson may make some sense at that point but it could be a slight reach.

vidae
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
I'll take Bray in KC, and lol @ the Broncos making it to the AFCCG. :p

OSUGiants17
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Not so sure we need a CB round 1....yet. I would much prefer Jackson Jeffcoat or Ricky Wagner. Osi will be leaving and our OTs suck

CJSchneider
08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I am a Saints fan and I approve of this mock.

SuperMcGee
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I think he will definitely get his shot and based on the last two years the Bills front office has done a helluva job evaluating and getting better talent in.

But the way I see it, and you can correct me as you will have a better knowledge of the team, but at this point the only real "needs" I see are QB (possibly), OT (possibly), maybe WR and LB.

Te'o makes sense but the Bills are going to have a borderline elite defense as it is. It's offense where they may need the help.

Unless they fall in love with someone to trade up at the QB position or really like someone like Landry Jones then I don't see them moving on from Fitz yet.

Marquess Wilson may make some sense at that point but it could be a slight reach.

Linebacker I feel will be worth addressing. Even if Sheppard proves to be a legit starter, this linebacker corps could get really messy if he or Barnett went down and it could be time to start grooming somebody there, anyway. It's possible we find a fine starter in the likes of Moats or Bradham, but it appears to be the weakest point of the defense moving forward. The line is good, but we still need solid backers to fill things up. Otherwise, they seem to love the idea of having another legit safety (Barron talk at the draft, lots of 1st-team work for Searcy in camp). Another luxury piece on the line is always possible, especially if Kelsay winds down to release territory.

Offensively, receiver is the current weakness. No dominating talent there to play with Stevie. Might not be completely necessary in the offense, but I think it would be a great help. Graham has potential but he's certainly not the dominant type. QB aside, line is the next most questionable. Even if it's not just Glenn, we only have one year of good play from small-time free agents like Pears and Urbik. Some injuries on the line, too. Glenn is supposed to be the LT in our minds, absolutely, but there is still shuffling possibility and a few potential spots to improve, there. I won't say it's the biggest need right now, but it could be.

JPF
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
DE isn't loaded on the Panthers roster, but there's positions far worse off.

DT- Edwards is the wrong side of 30; Fua & McClain look no better this preseason than they did last season.

OT- Otah was cut after the failed trade; Gross has already mentioned "winding down his career"; the opening day starter at RT is going to be Byron Bell who was a penalty magnet last year; and there's no depth whatsoever on the roster.

CB- Gamble is underrated by most but Munnerlyn gets burnt more often than most Panther fans admit; Butler is more of a nickel at best; Hogan can't get on the field.

WR- Steve Smith has a few years left but the others are all lackluster; LaFell is a solid #2 but not a #1; Gettis has yet to step on the field in nearly 14 months; Murphy & Ajirotutu are good depth but that's about it; Adams looks as though the only time he's going to see on the field is on returns.

CashmoneyDrew
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
There's no "d" in Da'Rick Rogers' last name, people. Let's end this epidemic before it gets any more out of hand.

;)

Cigaro
08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
DE isn't loaded on the Panthers roster, but there's positions far worse off.

DT- Edwards is the wrong side of 30; Fua & McClain look no better this preseason than they did last season.

OT- Otah was cut after the failed trade; Gross has already mentioned "winding down his career"; the opening day starter at RT is going to be Byron Bell who was a penalty magnet last year; and there's no depth whatsoever on the roster.

CB- Gamble is underrated by most but Munnerlyn gets burnt more often than most Panther fans admit; Butler is more of a nickel at best; Hogan can't get on the field.

WR- Steve Smith has a few years left but the others are all lackluster; LaFell is a solid #2 but not a #1; Gettis has yet to step on the field in nearly 14 months; Murphy & Ajirotutu are good depth but that's about it; Adams looks as though the only time he's going to see on the field is on returns.

Yeah not really interested in a defensive end round one. Would prefer cornerback(or safety is there someone really worth it available) or defensive tackle.

Vaylor
08-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Sigh @ Barret Jones going one spot before the Patriots pick.

I think I would rather wait until the 2nd to grab a RT unless you think Solder is better suited for the right side.

AntoinCD
08-14-2012, 05:29 AM
I think it's a tough draft to predict for the Pats at this point.

There is no glaring needs to jump out at you. I think either of the Bama linemen would be very tempting if they are on the board due to versatility and value at this point.

After that, DT may be an option but I think BB is happy to role with two big guys in Wilfork and Love instead of getting a typical 3 technique due to being more of a 2 gap team.

CB is always a possibility and S with TJ McDonald is good value.

However with Vollmer's injury history and with the fact is going to be a free agent I'm not sure the Pats will want to pay him too much. When healthy he is a stud but you can' get 16 ganes out of him on any given year. Depth along the offensive line is also questionable. Ideally BB would like 3 starting caliber OTs at any one time. Plus if anyone loves bloodlines in the NFL it's Belichick

jth1331
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I feel bad for the Rams, if they don't do well and Bradford underperforms, they will be pressured to take a QB, who will suck most likely as well because that team is just bad to watch.

Also, the Colts will struggle this year, probably 4-12 or 5-11 record.

Brent
08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Why would the Niners take another offensive lineman?

ellsy82
08-16-2012, 09:50 PM

I hate to dog on a fellow Steeler fan, but there is nothing incredibly special about Saunders' play. He's a good endzone target but he brings very little to the blocking game (particularly in-line blocking). Comparing him anywhere close to Miller is laughable.

I think what the OP was getting at, was that the Steelers really have few weaknesses on the team. We have veterans and talented young depth at every position. We'll probably take BPA next April. Its not too hard to believe that we'd take Eiffert if he falls to us. I do believe, however, that we should look at guys like OT Luke Joeckel (TA&M), DE/OLB Bill Gholston (Michigan St), FS McDonald (USC) or ILB Te'o/Skov. Reddick is an interesting candidate too.

I won't rule out any position though. Not even QB depending on how healthy the OL is able to keep Ben upright this year.