PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Breakout Players

jrdrylie
08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
We did this last year (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47987&highlight=breakout) so I thought we should try it out again.

A few rules:
1. Must be entering their third year or older.
2. Can never been named to a Pro Bowl.
3. Only one player from your favorite team.

QB: Joe Flacco
RB: Jonathan Dwyer
WR: Brandon Lafell
TE: Martellus Bennett

DE: Michael Johnson
DT: Henry Melton
LB: Paul Kruger
CB: Brian McCain
S: Morgan Burnett

vidae
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm way too lazy to do multiple positions, but I think Branden Albert could "break out" this year. Or maybe Dexter McCluster, since Dabolls offense apparently agrees with him.

Scotty D
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Willie Young, DE - Lions. Going to be the reason we let Avril walk next year. 7th round pick in 2010, spent '11 on IR, played in 14 games last year with 3 sacks. Has a great motor.

K Train
08-17-2012, 02:38 PM
QB: Josh Freeman
RB: Darren Mcfadden or reggie bush (neither ever made probowl idt)
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Jared Cook

DE: Robert Ayers
DT: Gerald Mccoy
LB: Aaron Curry
CB:
S: ERIC BERRY

robert pancake gallery
08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
QB: Big Derek Anderson
RB: Big Montario Hardesty
WR: Big Braylon Edwards
TE: Big Kellen Winslow Jr.

DE: Big Matt Roth
LB: Big Kaluka Maiava
CB: Big Eric Wright
S: Big TJ Ward

Edit: Derek Anderson, Braylon Edwards, and Winslow Jr. are disqualified because they are already pro-bowl caliber players, so just the rest I guess.

Bixby (Thumper)
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
QB: Matt Flynn
RB: CJ Spiller
WR: Robert Meachem
TE: Fred Davis

DE: Greg Hardy
DT: Karl Klug
LB: Perry Riley, DJ Smith
CB: Jimmy Smith
S: Nate Allen

A Perfect Score
08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Jimmy Smith is going to have a monster year. I'm a big CJ Spiller fan as well.

K Train
08-17-2012, 03:21 PM
jimmy smith isnt eligible!!!!!!!!!!

also, i checked his wikipedia, it says hes has two abortions...lol

Bixby (Thumper)
08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
jimmy smith isnt eligible!!!!!!!!!!

JIMMY SMITH IS ALWAYS ELIGIBLE!!!!!!!

Plus, the three year rule is dumb so I didn't follow it.

also, i checked his wikipedia, it says hes has two abortions...lol

Relevant.

Ghost of Juice
08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
QB: John Skelton
RB: Jonathan Dwyer
WR: Malcom Floyd
TE: Tony Moeaki

DE: Brian Robison
DT: Amobi Okoye
LB: Brandon Spikes
CB: Alterraun Verner
S: William Moore

tjsunstein
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
The homer in me is nominating Mike Neal if he stays healthy.

Razor
08-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Aaron Hernandez

/thread

SickwithIt1010
08-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Aaron Hernandez

/thread

The guy had over 900 yds receiving as a TE last year...I think he's already there lol.

Bixby (Thumper)
08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Aaron Hernandez

/thread

What about Tom Brady? I think he might breakout too.

RaiderNation
08-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought Matt Ryan was the next young QB to step up last year, but maybe I was a year off because he's looking improved so far into the pre season. Also have to add in DMC of course if he can stay healthy 16 games, he'll be a MVP candidate.

Bulldogs
08-17-2012, 04:31 PM
QB: Matt Ryan
New offense will open things up. Two great receivers and an improving O-Line. Will further feature pass catching back Jacquizz Rodgers.

RB: CJ Spiller
When featured last season he played well. The Bills will continue to allow their speedster to eat into Fred Jackson's touches.

RB: Kevin Smith
With Jahvid Best on PUP and Mikel Leshoure struggling through injuries Smith should carry the load. Will not face heavy boxes as teams will try their mightiest to stop the Lions' passing game.

WR: Dez Bryant
One of those guys that people pick to break out each year and it doesn't happen. I think this is the year though. Laurent Robinson is gone and Miles Austin will spend most of his time in the slot. Bryant needs to stay consistent and out of trouble.

WR: Pierre Garcon
Will be the Redskins number one target. RGIII's likely favorite receiver, will be looked at early and often. Plenty of screens and deep balls going his way.

TE: Kyle Rudolph
Word out of Vikings camp is he's tearing things up. Big physical target who looks a little bit like Rob Gronkowski.

Splat
08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
S: ERIC BERRY

You broke rule #2.

Razor
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
The guy had over 900 yds receiving as a TE last year...I think he's already there lol.

I don't think he's anywhere near where he'll be in a year tbh.

EDIT: Allow me to explain myself. Hernandez has looked amazing in camp, outplaying Gronk most of the time. With Lloyd on the outside and a creative OC Hernandez is poised to have a huge year. I agree that "breakout" isn't the best way to explain my expectations for Hernandez this year, but I don't think it's unreasonable either. He doesn't get the love that Gronk does, and rightly so. But I wouldn't be surprised if he has more yards and TDs than Gronk this year.

PackerLegend
08-17-2012, 06:39 PM
RandallzzzZzZ Cobb

Job Reborn
08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I thought Matt Ryan was the next young QB to step up last year, but maybe I was a year off because he's looking improved so far into the pre season

I swear I've been hearing that since his sophomore year.

Brent
08-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I swear I've been hearing that since his sophomore year.
I assume you mean the "looked good in the preseason" bit, right?

Oh, and to contribute to this thread: Tarell Brown.

Job Reborn
08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I assume you mean the "looked good in the preseason" bit, right?

Oh, and to contribute to this thread: Tarell Brown.

That and the "next young QB to step up" thing.

Brent
08-17-2012, 07:34 PM
That and the "next young QB to step up" thing.
don't worry, Matt Ryan will be just above average enough to not be blamed.

Bixby (Thumper)
08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
So... Blaine Gabbert? I know he's been skittish in the past but sometimes the light comes on for guys. He's looked great so far in the pre-season in the new offense that Mularkey is running down there. I guess we'll see how this plays out but my interest is piqued.

Also, I'll toss Titus Young out there. Loved him at Boise State and he should have a nice year across from Megatron with Stafford slinging the ball around.

Thecollegedropout
08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
QB- Mark Sanchez(Haters will hate though)
RB- Montario Hardesty(Will be a pleasant surprise in Cleveland me thinks)
WR- Danny Amendola(Just because Schotty will view him as a Brad Smith clone and randomly throw him in wildcat packages for the shits and giggles. In all seriousness......Bradford likes the guy so I expect him to get a bulk of catches this season)
TE- Jermaine Gresham(Sooner or later, the man has to figure it out no?)
OT- Trent Williams(Its about time Silverback.....its about time)

fenikz
08-17-2012, 09:31 PM
gotta put Ru Williams on this list

RCAChainGang
08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Austin Collie

SenorGato
08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Wilkerson and Coples, muhfckas.

Caulibflower
08-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Think Brandon Pettigrew might start getting more mentions as the Detroit offense continues to heat up. Toby Gerhart finished last year strong filling in for AP and has continued to look solid in the preseason. Not spectacular, but I suspect he's going to be getting a lot of work early in the year and he'll probably get attention just because he's not AP. If he keeps running well, as I expect him to, might look pretty similar to Darren McFadden and Michael Bush in Oakland where the understudy convinces quite a few people he could be a starting running back in his own right while getting more playing time due to the franchise player being injured.

themaninblack
08-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm hoping Jermaine Gresham tears it up this year like he should.

Ness
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Julio Jones.

tjsunstein
08-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Would Jordy Nelson qualify? If he puts anything up remotely close to last year, where does he place himself among WRs? I know he broke out in a big way last year but back to back seasons of 1200 and 12 (15 seems a bit too optimistic) would spark a new conversation, wouldn't it?

Bulldogs
08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I would say he doesn't qualify. A guy like Randall Cobb would.

Ness
08-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Andy Dalton might surprise some people too. He could be in store for a good year.

Ness
08-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Would Jordy Nelson qualify? If he puts anything up remotely close to last year, where does he place himself among WRs? I know he broke out in a big way last year but back to back seasons of 1200 and 12 (15 seems a bit too optimistic) would spark a new conversation, wouldn't it?

I think it would just prove that he isn't a one year wonder. I guess that would be the "new conversation". He already had a Pro Bowl type season last year.

tjsunstein
08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Andy Dalton might surprise some people too. He could be in store for a good year.
I love Dalton as an NFL QB but if you dont put up fantasy relevant numbers then general perception is almost as if you arent good. Dalton can win games, makes good throws, and lead drives and I really like him to make strides this year.

I think it would just prove that he isn't a one year wonder. I guess that would be the "new conversation". He already had a Pro Bowl type season last year.

I guess more would be said about Nelson if he didn't come close to last seasons numbers.

Randall Cobb is getting a lot of love going into this year and thats more of a result of knowing his situation in Green Bay rather than watching him play. He's extremely explosive but he needs to cut down on the same mistakes he was making last year in order to get the amount of opportunities to break out as expected.

phlysac
08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Just to clarify for many of these posts...

A few rules:
1. Must be entering their third year or older.

Ness
08-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah. Whoops. No Jones or Dalton. Ahmad Brooks then.

OSUGiants17
08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Matt Lienart will take over for Palmer before week 8 and have a very solid year.

tjsunstein
08-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Bills: CJ Spiller
Dolphins: Marlon Moore
Jets: Aaron Maybin
Patriots: Brandon Lloyd, really don't know where people rank him but he's lower than he should be in most cases

tjsunstein
08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Matt Lienart will take over for Palmer before week 8 and have a very solid year.

I dont think thats the case at all for whatever thats worth. Theyve invested too much to give Palmer all of (say week 7 since you said pre week 8) 17 weeks, 10 without an offseason prior to joining a completely new team. There might be talk about it if the Raiders miss the playoffs but I feel like he deserves a whole year considering what they gave up for him.

Thecollegedropout
08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Bills: CJ Spiller
Dolphins: Marlon Moore
Jets: Aaron Maybin
Patriots: Brandon Lloyd, really don't know where people rank him but he's lower than he should be in most cases
Maybin would have been choice No.2 for me if we could do more than 1 guy from our favorite teams.....good choice.

Still feeling the Sanchez and how he's gonna put a good year given all the criticism and hate/chatter.

J-Mike88
08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
For BeerBarron (I know it's not a 3rd year player but he's already been mentioned):

Aug 17, 2012
-Jacksonville (No. 31 in the AP Pro 32) saw continued progress from Blaine Gabbert, the second-year quarterback who outperformed Drew Brees of the Saints (No. 9 in the AP Pro 32) during the first half.

"We did a great job moving the ball in the first half and scored in the red zone," said Gabbert, who helped Jacksonville jump out to a 17-3 lead. "We were playing against their first-team defense, so it says a lot for us to take the lead early in the game."

Gabbert completed 13 of 16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns, the first a 16-yard strike to Blackmon, who was making his preseason debut.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2012/08/17/5215/index.html#ixzz23xJLhw00

Dallas357
08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
For BeerBarron (I know it's not a 3rd year player but he's already been mentioned):

Aug 17, 2012
-Jacksonville (No. 31 in the AP Pro 32) saw continued progress from Blaine Gabbert, the second-year quarterback who outperformed Drew Brees of the Saints (No. 9 in the AP Pro 32) during the first half.

"We did a great job moving the ball in the first half and scored in the red zone," said Gabbert, who helped Jacksonville jump out to a 17-3 lead. "We were playing against their first-team defense, so it says a lot for us to take the lead early in the game."

Gabbert completed 13 of 16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns, the first a 16-yard strike to Blackmon, who was making his preseason debut.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2012/08/17/5215/index.html#ixzz23xJLhw00

Umm. It's preseason.
Here's how preseason works.
If said player people don't like does well. It's "Meh it's preseason"
If same said player does poorly. It's " see, told you he was awful"
that's exactly how preseason works.

fenikz
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM

ha then Pyror will be starting by week 9 :p

Jvig43
08-19-2012, 06:55 PM
What about Tom Brady? I think he might breakout too.

Shut up thumper.

Also Jordy Nelson if he counts ( I know he had a 1000 yard year last year). I think he is going to have a much bigger year than last year.

Caulibflower
08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
This might seem like an odd one, but with Chicago's revamped offense and a lot of fresh motivation, I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Cutler steps firmly into the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks this year.

And I'll call it now: Either Demaryious Thomas or Eric Decker make the Pro Bowl. Edge goes to Bey Bey currently.

Caulibflower
08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
^ and just to clarify about my Cutler statement. Obviously most people consider him a franchise quarterback, but he's sort of seemed like he's had the "high-ceiling," "huge potential" labels attached to him throughout his whole career, but people still don't think he's playing up to his fullest ability. So by "breakout" I mean he might be a darkhorse MVP candidate.

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Nelson would count as much as Victor Cruz. They both already broke out last year.

tjsunstein
08-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Nelson would count as much as Victor Cruz. They both already broke out last year.

They both broke out, but they would do a lot for themselves with another season like last. Solidifying themselves in some serious conversation.

armageddon
08-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Sam Bradford, Lance Kendricks and Robert Quinn

Mufasa
08-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Shut up thumper.

Also Jordy Nelson if he counts ( I know he had a 1000 yard year last year). I think he is going to have a much bigger year than last year.

Much bigger than last year? He had a better year last year than all but one of Calvin Johnson's seasons (also last year), and better than any season Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson have ever had. Matching last year would be incredible, having a much bigger year is almost impossible. I expect he'll put up around 1,000 yards and 10 TDs, which is still a great year and enough to solidify himself as a top 10 or at least top 15 WRs.

Bulldogs
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Read the rules.

armageddon
08-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Read the rules.

oops, my bad

Todd Bertuzzi
08-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Lestar Jean

You have all been warned.

BaLLiN
08-20-2012, 12:19 AM
i kinda like Rashad Jennings if MJD holds out for an extended period, he's looked pretty good in limited action during regular seasons and this preseason as well.

tjsunstein
08-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Lestar Jean

You have all been warned.

Really like this pick. The staff loves him and Kevin Walter isn't irreplaceable. I like Keshawn Martin, too but Neither guy qualifies ccording to thread rules. Jean is enterig his second season.

jaydeebee21
08-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Carlos Dunlap

Bixby (Thumper)
08-20-2012, 08:22 AM

Oh ma gawd, READ THE RULES! :njx:

And on that note, Julio Jones is about to wreck everything. So is JJ Watt. So freakin' good those two are.

Giantsfan1080
08-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Kevin Kolb.

armageddon
08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh ma gawd, READ THE RULES! :njx:

And on that note, Julio Jones is about to wreck everything. So is JJ Watt. So freakin' good those two are.

We have already established this. Are you following the thread ?

SuperPacker
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Randall Cobb - Gonna be the #3 receiver now, so should get more opportunities.

DJ Smith - With Desmond Bishop down, he'll be the starter for the rest of the season.

RCAChainGang
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Umm on second thought I think Collie's career might be in jeopardy. He is having way too many concussions. It sucks cause he is so freaking talented.

katnip
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Sam Bradford (just liked him from his OU playing days)

Bengals78
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
DE: Carlos "Porcelain Kid" Dunlap. Already off to a great start with his newest boo-boo

LB: Sean Lee. Had a good year last year but I think this year he could become one of the premier 3-4 ILB in the NFL.

BaLLiN
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Umm on second thought I think Collie's career might be in jeopardy. He is having way too many concussions. It sucks cause he is so freaking talented.

it seems like every single time his name is mentioned in a game he has concussion-like symptoms.

Rosebud
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Has CJ Spiller been mentioned yet?

Grizzlegom
08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
I think one of Brian Hartline or Davone Bess is going to have a "big" year in Miami.

Some other guys from around the league I like are DHB, Kellen Davis, Nate Allen, and Eric Decker.

RCAChainGang
08-21-2012, 12:40 AM
it seems like every single time his name is mentioned in a game he has concussion-like symptoms.

He is so freaking talented! If his head hadn't been knocked around so much he would have lit it up as the slot guy. He was Peyton's favorite target a few years ago.

soybean
08-21-2012, 01:29 AM
reggie bush.

Kyle Wilson hopefully.

Don Vito
08-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Jermaine Cunningham

Razor
08-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Jermaine Cunningham

I'm not getting my hopes up once again. He is what he is at this point...

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Sigh...Jerry Hughes or Donald brown...

OSUGiants17
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Demaryius Thomas is going to break out in a big way. I think a full offseason, having Peyton at QB(hell even Brock is a better QB than Tebow), and working with Megatron this offseason will let him finally show off the talent he has.

SuperMcGee
08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Has CJ Spiller been mentioned yet?

Spiller is a good option based on capability, but I can't get over that he's just not as good as Freddy. Last year there was just no reason to take Jackson off of the field. I don't expect it to be so one sided this year. We'll see plenty of both, for better or worse. But I can't let my Thriller expectations get too high. We could see some interesting setups that end up getting CJ the ball a bit more in the passing game, though.

K Train
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Demaryius Thomas is going to break out in a big way. I think a full offseason, having Peyton at QB(hell even Brock is a better QB than Tebow), and working with Megatron this offseason will let him finally show off the talent he has.

i think theres a solid chance decker get 90+ catches this year with manning

Brown Leader
08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Pierre Garcon

Would have been the #1 in Indianapolis even with Wayne there. Rookie QB will hinder him but I think he'll still break out.

Sam Bradford

Fisher is a great coach. Shotty gets **** on but he got Sanchez to look pretty good as a young guy.

Jerome Simpson

A #1 caliber guy who got overshadowed by Green and hurt by his off field shenanigance.

Greg Olsen

That offense is TE friendly and Newton will receive MVP consideration this year.

Colin McCarthy

Forget rule #1. He's about to become a top 5 LB.