PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Weekly Prospect Standouts: FR-SR

Ozzy
09-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Gotta love College Football!

Here are my Weekly Prospect threads from the past four years. Enjoy look back, I always do...

2011 (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48549&highlight=prospects)

2010 (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42256&highlight=standouts)

2009 (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35297&highlight=prospect)

2008 (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25353&highlight=prospect)

Week 1:
*Kyle Van Noy JR OLB BYU: Sick 3/4 or 4/3 OLB prospect, great pass rusher, smart player, should be one of the leaders of a very impressive BYU team this year.

*Justin Jones JR TE East Carolina: Flat out freak, 6-8, can really be a great pass catching TE. If he comes back strong off an injury he could skyrocket up the draft boards, with a good year could easily be a 2nd or 1st round pick on potential alone.

*Le'Veon Bell JR RB Michigan State: Yeah if he continues this play, should be without question the #1 RB taken in the draft, is a complete back that can do it all and has size to boot.

*Brandon Mitchell JR TE/QB Arkansas: What a transition, went from QB to TE, and had a great game as a pass catching TE, and I thought he had a hell of a lot of potential at QB off of last year. Very talented player regardless of the position he plays.

*Corey Crawford SOPH DE Clemson: Kid is a freaking freak show, great size for a defensive end, played much better than last year and would be be surprised come junior year if he is not a possible top 20 pick.

*Vinnie Sunseri SOPH SS Alabama: What a game, big time hitter, tough kid, reacts well, should do great things for Alabama and develop into another fine safety for them.

*TJ Yeldon FR RB Alabama: What an athlete, so quick and fast, behind that line he will easily gain over one thousand yards if healthy even in that crowded backfield.

*Todd Gurley FR RB Georgia: The SEC better watch out, now Georgia has backs just like Bama and LSU, Gurley is a great freshman talent and has such amazing speed for his size.

*Keith Marshall FR RB Georgia: Big thick kid, him and Gurley should be hell to stop one the offensive line improves over time.

*Kaneakua Friel JR TE BYU: Nice looking prospect, big kid, good speed and plays tough, could be a nice tight end prospect once the 2014 draft comes around.

*Duke Johnson FR RB Miami FL: What a class of freshman RB's around the country. Big thick kid, basically won the game for Miami against BC. In Golden's run power offense, he will be a star behind that big offensive line.

*Brandon Ford SR TE Clemson: Where did he come from, great looking tight end, awesome pass catcher even though he is crazy raw still and has suspect hands. But with a big year, he can make a lot of people impressed.

*Seung Hoon Choi SR OG Nebraska: Big thick kid, moves well, tough blocker, should be a very solid guard prospect come draft time, very good potential down the road.

*Vic Beasley SOPH DE Clemson: Made some amazing plays at the end of the game to win it for Clemson. Speed rusher, big time athlete, could be a terror in a 3/4 defense, could develop into a monster edge rusher.

*DeMarcus Milliner JR CB Alabama: Played a great game, looks much stronger than last year. And with that quickness he has always had, he is poised for a real breakout year for Bama.

*Jamal Jackson JR QB/WR App State: What an athlete, so smooth and quick. Has time to develop as well, if he sticks around for his senior year, he could have a chance at quarterback as a project. Or he could be a great WR potentially.

*DeAndre Hopkins JR WR Clemson: Who needs Watkins, Hopkins has ridiculous hands, great route runner, nice speed. Developing into just as good of target as Watkins is, and that is saying something.

*Ameer Abdullah SOPH RB Nebraska: Now Nebraska has a backup to Burkhead, one of the best return men in the game as well. Great speed and quickness, what a dangerous talent.

*Jesse Williams SR DT Alabama: One of many talent DL's on Bama, big kid, great athlete and moves effortlessly. Could be a 1st round pick if he keeps playing this well.

*Preston Hadley SR CB BYU: Very solid cover corner, nice tackler, sound in coverage and could be a good late round get in the draft.

*Beau Blankenship JR RB Ohio: Player to watch develop, hard to fit, quick back, tough, thick and in the NFL today a lot of teams are looking for that change of pace small back.

*Donovan Smith FR OT Penn State: A reason to watch Penn State, big kid, nice athlete and could be a star offensive lineman. Just a freshman and is already playing solid football.

*Andre Ellington SR RB Clemson: Big time game from him, showing amazing toughness and ability to no go down on contact. If he changes from just a quick speedy back to running with more power, he could work his way into being a 1st or 2nd round draft pick potentially.

*Denzel Perryman SOPH ILB Miami FL: Very solid ILB prospect, one of the best in his class without question and should be the best linebacker on Miami this year.

*JD Woods SR WR West Virginia: Where did he come from, showing great hands, runs smooth routes and has good speed. In that offense he is going to kill it this year and possible even sneak into the draft along the way.

*Sio Moore SR OLB UCONN: Very quick outside rusher, very hard to block in pass protection and is one to watch throughout the year.

*Tavarres King SR WR Georgia: Has developed nicely, shows big time speed and with a solid year he could really climb up the draft charts with that speed he has.

*Lance Ray SR WR East Carolina: Nice athlete, shows great speed and quickness with being such a thick and large receiver. Should be one to watch develop this year before the draft.

*Kyle Carter FR TE Penn State: Smooth pass catching tight end, can block a little as well. Should develop nicely over time in that tight end focus offense of O'Brien.

*Andre Hal JR CB Vandy: Nice corner, very good speed and solid hitter in the secondary, could develop nicely. Will help replay Heyward in their defensive secondary.

*Will Compton SR ILB Nebraska: Played well, was productive and active, showed more speed than years past, could have a big year for them.

*Aundrey Walker SOPH OT USC: Another fine athlete on that offensive line, long, good frame and decent in pass protection.

Disappointed:
Taylor Lewan JR OT Michigan: Had an awful game, Hubbard killed him off the edge, he had tons of penalties and got beat a lot. Solid prospect but good thing he is a junior and can still develop over the next two years. Can turn it around though, has talent and toughness.

Marquess Wilson JR WR Washington State: Some other freshman receivers on Washington State looked better than him, for being pretty hyped up to start the year he did not play great.

gpngc
09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Duke WR Conner Vernon.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Mich St.
Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Geno Smith, QB, WVU
Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Ten
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
De'Anthony Thomas, RB/WR, Oregon
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Marqis Lee, WR, USC
Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
Jadeveon Clowney, DE, S. Car
Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
Stephon Tuitt, DL, ND

Disappointing:
David Amerson

ncst8fan83
09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Disappointing:
David Amerson

Do remember that we play zone coverage about 99% of the time. I do agree that he played poorly, but some of the disappointment comes from a lack of coverage from our safeties. I don't think the Patterson rush for a TD was his fault at all. Both Bishop and Wolff should have taken better angles towards that sideline and it would have never gotten to his side of the field. Amerson takes a ton of risks because he knows that he should have safety help over the top, but it just didn't show up for whatever reason on Friday night. I'm hoping he can redeem himself in the FSU and Clemson games.

Don Vito
09-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I hope Vinny Sunseri is a Patriot one day. All around good player, tough and was a beast on special teams last year for Bama as a freshman. Worked his way onto the defense last season and should be a stud for at least two more seasons.

Kyle Van Noy for BYU is a guy who I got to see play against Ole Miss last year, and he is a very good player too.

tjsunstein
09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Came in here to show JD Woods (RS SR) some love but that's been done for me.

Ozzy
09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
gpngc Duke WR Conner Vernon.I agree, he is a very solid player but will have to have a big year with the already solid group of draft eligible receivers out there currently.

Don Vito I hope Vinny Sunseri is a Patriot one day. All around good player, tough and was a beast on special teams last year for Bama as a freshman. Worked his way onto the defense last season and should be a stud for at least two more seasons.

Kyle Van Noy for BYU is a guy who I got to see play against Ole Miss last year, and he is a very good player too.One could argue as a safety much less any defensive back, there is no better place to go than Alabama. Saban is a wonderful defensive back coach and probably the best defensive back coach in the nation. Sunseri really laid some guys out in that game and showed some great speed.

Yeah I was really impressed overall with that BYU team, especially that defense, one could argue LB Kaveinga is just as good as Van Noy at times.

tjsunstein Came in here to show JD Woods (RS SR) some love but that's been done for me.Yeah I was very impressed with him, and apparently he has done almost nothing his entire career, had more catches and yards that last game than all of last season. Surprising for someone so smooth athletically.

tjsunstein
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Daryl Collns (RS FR) of Kentucky looks really good. Apparently says he's faster than Randall Cobb.

fenikz
09-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Brandon Mitchell was playing strictly WR

rawdawg
09-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Freshmen RBs stole the show(s) this weekend for me. What stood out to me is that all these guys (with the exception of Duke Johnson) are big kids. 215lb, 18 year olds that look like they are shot out of a cannon. Not afraid of the spotlight at all. All hit the line hard and showed excellent vision.

I had the same thoughts on Milliner. I think as next April gets closer and NFL teams start to view Amerson more as a FS (as I do), Milliner has a legit shot at being the #1 or #2 CB off the board, if he continues to play like last night.

saintsfan912
09-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Odell Beckham Jr made everyone forget about Mathieu on special teams last night.

Jarvis Landry is an animal.

Deion Jones should start by week 3 at OLB. Guy was all over the place after Barrow went down in the first half.

Ozzy
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
saintsfan912 Odell Beckham Jr made everyone forget about Mathieu on special teams last night.

Jarvis Landry is an animal.

Deion Jones should start by week 3 at OLB. Guy was all over the place after Barrow went down in the first half.I agree, Beckham could turn out to be a better return man than Mathieu, he is easily faster than him and clearly LSU has some awesome backups and starters who know how to play special teams.

In some ways though, I wish Rivers was the starter there but I guess yeah he is still a little raw.

rawdawg Freshmen RBs stole the show(s) this weekend for me. What stood out to me is that all these guys (with the exception of Duke Johnson) are big kids. 215lb, 18 year olds that look like they are shot out of a cannon. Not afraid of the spotlight at all. All hit the line hard and showed excellent vision.

I had the same thoughts on Milliner. I think as next April gets closer and NFL teams start to view Amerson more as a FS (as I do), Milliner has a legit shot at being the #1 or #2 CB off the board, if he continues to play like last night.Yeah it is nice to see the attention away from the quarterbacks for once. And the SEC, with Bama, LSU and now Georgia, those running back rosters all go at least three if not four deep with all legit players. Should be fun to watch!

BRAVEHEART
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Hayes Pullard really made his presence known filling in at ILB.

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Virginia Tech. will add to the already impressive stable of freshman backs around the country. Michael Holmes (redshirt freshman; 6'0" 210) and JC Coleman (true freshman 5'7" 190) will receive the bulk of the workload against Georgia Tech.

Docta
09-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Bridgewater finished last Tuesday's practice going 42 for 42. I know it's just practice, but Louisville isn't exactly known for their receivers.

Ozzy
09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Week 1:

*Brandon Watts JR OLB Georgia Tech: What a freak linebacker, great speed, really can close on the ball. With his athletic ability he could sky rocket up the draft charts quite quickly.

*Luther Maddy SOPH DT Virginia Tech: Very impressed with him, one of the best defensive tackles I have seen on VT in a long time. Good athlete, strong man and gives fine effort, should be another star in a very solid sophomore DT class nationally.

*Kyshoen Jarrett SOPH SS Virginia Tech: Like how he tackles, aggressive kid, good athlete, clearly size is an issue being a former corner but he can hit and bring people down better than most.

*Zach Line SR RB SMU: Not much to not like about him, he is solid, good condition, hard to bring down, quick. Should be a great pickup anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th round.

*Rod Sweeting SR CB Georgia Tech: Got beat a few times, but have not seen a corner as cocky as he is in awhile. I kind of like that, has good size, nice reaction time and is clearly confident. If he can backup his play a little more he should be a decent late round prospect.

*Marcus Davis SR WR Virginia Tech: Showing nice development, has always been a great athlete but now has a chance to get the ball more. Still suspect hands at times but has great strength and speed.

*Terrance Williams SR WR Baylor: Smooth player, very quick, nice hands, should be another fine Baylor receiver further proving that last year was not just a fluke for that offense.

*Kyle Fuller JR CB Virginia Tech: Really nice corner, will have to see more of him. If he has a really solid year he could go really high in the draft but has stiff competition from his fellow junior corners nationally.

*Jemea Thomas JR CB Georgia Tech: Huge kid, great potential as a corner if he sticks around for his senior year. Big and strong with decent speed.

*Jeron Gouveia-Winslow SR LB Virginia Tech: Love his effort on the field, flying all over the place literally. Not great size but is fun to watch with his aggressive play and see how the rest of the year turns out for him.

*Omoregie Uzzi SR OG Georgia Tech: Gets some hype and for good reason, solid guard, very good run blocker and plays with nice technique. Does not get pushed around, will join an outstanding junior and senior class of potential draft eligible offensive guards.

*Derrick Hopkins SR DT Virginia Tech: Like his effort, low to the ground clearly at 6-0 but is quick, thick and does not slow down. Could be a nice late around pick and will get looks in a 3/4 possibly.

*Jeff Greene SOPH WR Georgia Tech: Just a great athlete, raw as can be but is an impressive big receiver. And if they can develop him along like they have with other large wideouts he could be a good one.

*J.R. Collins JR DE Virginia Tech: Made plays on the field, played the run well, is a little undersized but was effective and is solid at the point of attack.

*Izaan Cross SR DE Georgia Tech: Love his size, big thick man, holds his own on the outside or inside. Could be a great 3/4 DE prospect come draft day.

*Nick Becton SR OT Virginia Tech: Like his athletic ability, good size, very nice athlete and blocks down field well. He has a chance at the next level, very promising player from what I have seen so far.

Disappointed:
Isaiah Johnson JR S Georgia Tech: Expected more out of him, he played well and had a good game but was not as sound tackling as I expected. Seems like he played better and tackled better last year with a cast on his arm than he does now.

BamaFalcon59 Virginia Tech. will add to the already impressive stable of freshman backs around the country. Michael Holmes (redshirt freshman; 6'0" 210) and JC Coleman (true freshman 5'7" 190) will receive the bulk of the workload against Georgia Tech.Coleman was ok, nice quick back with good speed but there are a lot of guys like that around. Stacking up those two freshman to the ones on Bama and Georgia, as prospects they are not in the same Universe as those guys in my opinion.

Docta Bridgewater finished last Tuesday's practice going 42 for 42. I know it's just practice, but Louisville isn't exactly known for their receivers.Bridgewater did play well, the announcers threw around the work Mike Vick and that is never really a good thing it seems. But he did throw the ball well, has nice control of the offense but quarterback is easy when they run the ball the way they did. And it is not like Kentucky has a great defense, they lost a lot of good players last year. But in what is so far turning out to be an awful sophomore class of quarterbacks, he could easily be one of the best in that class though.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Coleman is 5'7" 190 as a freshman after coming in at 175. He's going to be an animal.

SolidGold
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
No write up for this past week ? :(

Todd Bertuzzi
09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Just a few names:

-Johnthan Banks, CB, Miss. St.
-Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
-Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue
-Tyler Eifert, TE, ND
-Antavian Edison, WR, Purdue
-Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M(Basketball player that reminds me a little of Jimmy Graham. Currently playing WR but honestly if he could add a little weight I think he'd make a great TE in that mold. Listed as 6'5 220 atm.)
-Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
-Tyler Russell, QB, Texas A&M
-Mike Mauti, LB, Penn St.
-Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
-Jake McGee, TE, Virginia

bored of education
09-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Casey Pachall 9-9, 201 yards, 3 TDs in 2.5 quarters vs. a JV team

bored of education
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Duke WR Conner Vernon.

He owned BC last year, but that is not saying much. I will be watching COnner closely.

rawdawg
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Just a few names:

-Johnthan Banks, CB, Miss. St.
-Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
-Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue
-Tyler Eifert, TE, ND
-Antavian Edison, WR, Purdue
-Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M(Basketball player that reminds me a little of Jimmy Graham. Currently playing WR but honestly if he could add a little weight I think he'd make a great TE in that mold. Listed as 6'5 220 atm.)
-Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
-Tyler Russell, QB, Texas A&M
-Mike Mauti, LB, Penn St.
-Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
-Jake McGee, TE, Virginia

With most games this week being top 25 teams against what seemed like the bottom 25 in FBS or even FCS teams....there wasn't a lot to gauge players on this weekend.

But I think after Saturday, Jarvis Jones may be the top defensive player in the country. I thought he was a potential top 15 pick if he came out last year. He may not go any higher in the 2013 draft, but to me, the kid is Aldon Smith, but with the ability to play inside in a 3-4 or be a stud WLB in a Cover 2 scheme. Not really much this kid CAN'T do. Unlike most pass rushing studs, he makes plays in the run game. He also had a PD and INT this weekend. I love KeKe Mingo, but Jarvis is simply a better football player at this point with just as much upside.

rawdawg
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
My standouts for this week were:

- Jarvis Jones, Georgia, JR, OLB (previously mentioned)

- Johnathan Banks, CB, SR, Mississippi State. #1 or #2 CB in the nation to me. Big Pick-6 for the Dogs.

- Josh Johnson, CB, SR, Purdue. Johnson made himself very draftable this past weekend, possibly putting himself into the 2nd day.

- Kawaan Short, DT, SR, Purdue and Ryan Russell, DE, SO, Purdue. Can't mention Johnson without mentioning his DL. Short and Russell pretty much dominated ND.

- Matt Mauti, LB, SR, Penn State. Feel bad for this kid. Played his heart out, for a team where many of his teammates transferred, coming off his 2nd ACL surgery last year. Just makes plays.

-Damontre Moore, DE, JR, Texas A&M. Big game w/ 3 sacks...co-SEC defensive player of the week with Jones.

- Johnathan Franklin, RB, SR, UCLA. Obviously had a huge game in a big upset. Not sure if he was draftable before this weekend, but got himself on the map, where I thought he was a couple years ago.

tjsunstein
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Its Michael Mauti...

Todd Bertuzzi
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
People should definitely try and check out Purdue this year. Lot's of talent on the defensive side of the ball and some nice players on offense too such as Edison.

cmd34
09-11-2012, 11:55 PM
With most games this week being top 25 teams against what seemed like the bottom 25 in FBS or even FCS teams....there wasn't a lot to gauge players on this weekend.

But I think after Saturday, Jarvis Jones may be the top defensive player in the country. I thought he was a potential top 15 pick if he came out last year. He may not go any higher in the 2013 draft, but to me, the kid is Aldon Smith, but with the ability to play inside in a 3-4 or be a stud WLB in a Cover 2 scheme. Not really much this kid CAN'T do. Unlike most pass rushing studs, he makes plays in the run game. He also had a PD and INT this weekend. I love KeKe Mingo, but Jarvis is simply a better football player at this point with just as much upside.

He started some games at MLB for USC as a freshman.

SolidGold
09-12-2012, 07:57 AM
He owned BC last year, but that is not saying much. I will be watching COnner closely.

Vernon is a really good player - a really under the radar talent.

JPF
09-12-2012, 07:59 AM
He started some games at MLB for USC as a freshman.

Umm, Galipo started every game for USC at MLB that year.

Ozzy
09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Week 2:
*James Morris JR ILB Iowa: Played a great game, had 12 tackles and a key interception late in the contest. Was literally all over the field, showed great closing speed for an inside linebacker and good tackling toughness. If he keeps up this level of play he is easily one of the top 5 ILBs in the nation potentially.

*C.J. Fiedorowicz JR TE Iowa: Another freak tight end prospect, huge kid, has taken forever to be productive on the field. But is a good athlete, really long arms and is the classic tall pass catching tight end the NFL and all of football is using so often. Could be a really high pick this year or next.

*Jake McDonough SR DT Iowa State: Very impressive player, will have to watch him throughout the year. Really beat the Iowa offensive line many times in that game. Tough, got consistent pressure and could be a surprise player in a weak DT class.

*A.J. Klein SR ILB Iowa State: Solid, did not flash as much as Morris but has been more consistent over his career. Sound in coverage and a smart player, good pickup for any roster in rounds 3-6 possibly.

*Jacques Washington JR FS Iowa State: Like his potential and size at free safety, big kid, strong and runs well. Could develop nicely maybe down the line as a safety.

*David Irving SOPH DE Iowa State: All potential, young player has is a huge kid at 6-7, still has a long ways to go but is one to watch because of that frame.

*Tanner Miller JR FS Iowa: Like his development, solid player, good tackler. Is not a star safety but could be a decent prospect come his senior season. Makes plays and shows up on the field consistently.

*Jake Knott SR OLB Iowa State: The other star linebacker on Iowa State, instinctive, not really fast but is smart and stout at the point of attack, decent late round prospect with lots of experience.

rawdawg But I think after Saturday, Jarvis Jones may be the top defensive player in the country. I thought he was a potential top 15 pick if he came out last year. He may not go any higher in the 2013 draft, but to me, the kid is Aldon Smith, but with the ability to play inside in a 3-4 or be a stud WLB in a Cover 2 scheme. Not really much this kid CAN'T do. Unlike most pass rushing studs, he makes plays in the run game. He also had a PD and INT this weekend. I love KeKe Mingo, but Jarvis is simply a better football player at this point with just as much upside.Is just all over the place, he was a standout long before this season clearly. Could argue he would have been the #1 OLB prospect in the 2012 draft class if he came out.

rawdawg- Johnathan Franklin, RB, SR, UCLA. Obviously had a huge game in a big upset. Not sure if he was draftable before this weekend, but got himself on the map, where I thought he was a couple years ago.I disagree, even before this season and his great success, he was going to be drafted based off the potential he showed last year. Now he will just be drafted higher because of his great play so far this year.

JPF
Umm, Galipo started every game for USC at MLB that year.Yeah I think that is correct, Jarvis Jones only started a few at OLB that season. Galippo, wow one of the most over hyped high school player recently, was supposed to be better than Rey and yeah....

BRAVEHEART
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Week 2:
*James Morris JR ILB Iowa: Played a great game, had 12 tackles and a key interception late in the contest. Was literally all over the field, showed great closing speed for an inside linebacker and good tackling toughness. If he keeps up this level of play he is easily one of the top 5 ILBs in the nation potentially.

*C.J. Fiedorowicz JR TE Iowa: Another freak tight end prospect, huge kid, has taken forever to be productive on the field. But is a good athlete, really long arms and is the classic tall pass catching tight end the NFL and all of football is using so often. Could be a really high pick this year or next.

*Jake McDonough SR DT Iowa State: Very impressive player, will have to watch him throughout the year. Really beat the Iowa offensive line many times in that game. Tough, got consistent pressure and could be a surprise player in a weak DT class.

*A.J. Klein SR ILB Iowa State: Solid, did not flash as much as Morris but has been more consistent over his career. Sound in coverage and a smart player, good pickup for any roster in rounds 3-6 possibly.

*Jacques Washington JR FS Iowa State: Like his potential and size at free safety, big kid, strong and runs well. Could develop nicely maybe down the line as a safety.

*David Irving SOPH DE Iowa State: All potential, young player has is a huge kid at 6-7, still has a long ways to go but is one to watch because of that frame.

*Tanner Miller JR FS Iowa: Like his development, solid player, good tackler. Is not a star safety but could be a decent prospect come his senior season. Makes plays and shows up on the field consistently.

*Jake Knott SR OLB Iowa State: The other star linebacker on Iowa State, instinctive, not really fast but is smart and stout at the point of attack, decent late round prospect with lots of experience.

Is just all over the place, he was a standout long before this season clearly. Could argue he would have been the #1 OLB prospect in the 2012 draft class if he came out.

I disagree, even before this season and his great success, he was going to be drafted based off the potential he showed last year. Now he will just be drafted higher because of his great play so far this year.

Yeah I think that is correct, Jarvis Jones only started a few at OLB that season. Galippo, wow one of the most over hyped high school player recently, was supposed to be better than Rey and yeah....

He wasn't over-hyped, he was injured. He went from being a great athlete at the position to a sub-par one due to his spinal injuries. Weren't you a bandwagon SC fan at one point? I thought you'd know that.

Ozzy
09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
BRAVEHEART He wasn't over-hyped, he was injured. He went from being a great athlete at the position to a sub-par one due to his spinal injuries. Weren't you a bandwagon SC fan at one point? I thought you'd know that.Sure there is always something one can blame for it. But athletes can come back from injuries, because same things could be said for Jarvis Jones, who on USC suffered a neck sprain his freshman year and it slowed him during 2010 spring ball as well. Not really effecting his play recently has it, being a USC fan, I thought you'd know that?

rawdawg
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Ozzy, you're probably right, but I thought coming into the 2011 season that Franklin was a guy that was going to be good enough to leave early after his JR season. But he never really quite put it together last year. In his Soph year, he showed he was capable of the big play with 8-9 runs over 25 yards, including a 59 yarder vs. USC. He also showed he could carry the load some with 6 games over 18 carries. Last year he didn't really do much of either. Never hit 18 carries once and had big plays against only terrible teams (Colorado) or in blowouts.

Not draftable might have been a stretch, but I for one, would never pick a RB after the 5th round. You're likely to get one just as good as a UDFA. And I thought Franklin was a borderline 5th rounder most of last year.

BRAVEHEART
09-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Sure there is always something one can blame for it. But athletes can come back from injuries, because same things could be said for Jarvis Jones, who on USC suffered a neck sprain his freshman year and it slowed him during 2010 spring ball as well. Not really effecting his play recently has it, being a USC fan, I thought you'd know that?

Two different injuries, two different players, two different body types. But yes, feel free to compare. USC has had plenty of overrated recruits enter the program over the last 11 years (Whitney Lewis, Jeff Byers, Patrick Turner, and the list goes on), but Galippo is not one of them.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Bjoern Werner/Tank Carradine, DE, FSU
Devin Smith, WR, OSU
Keenan Allen, WR, CAL
Dee Milliner, CB, Bama
Eddie Lacy, RB, Bama
Johnathan Hankins, DT, OSU
Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
De'Anthony Thomas, RB/WR, Oregon
Geno Smith, QB, WVU
Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
Jawan Jameson, RB, Rutgers
William Gholston, DE, Mich St.

Ozzy
09-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Week 2:
*Star Lotulelei SR NT Utah: Holy ****, clearly the kid is not over hyped. He is all over the field, is in wonderful shape, thick, strong, quick. He is totally deserving of a high high 1st round selection. Unlike Mr. Poe from last year. Lotuelei was more productive and active on the field in like a half than Poe was all last season for Memphis.

*Justin Hunter JR WR Tennessee: What a flipping freak show, looks a lot stronger than he did as a freshman. Still has that good speed and leaping ability. Should be without question the #1 WR taken in the draft if he comes out.

*Bjoern Werner JR DE Florida State: Umm, cannot play much better than he has played. He is working his way into becoming a 1st round pick, no question. Sack machine, always had raw ability, now he is just simply killing on the line. If he keeps this up could easily be the #1 DE taken in the draft.

*Kelvin Benjamin FR WR Florida State: Wow, kid is gigantic, still very raw but what a prospect for the future. Big and strong, he could be ridiculous in time, one to really watch.

*Jamon Brown SOPH OT Louisville: One of the best tackles I have seen this year. Love his effort and athletic ability, played great football and appears to be an elite athlete. Will have to watch him more closely down the road that is for sure.

*Cory Grissom SR NT South Florida: Big thick beast, can gain penetration and get into the backfield. Is not an elite athlete clearly but for a space eater and a solid NT he is a good looking player.

*TJ Barnes SR NT Georgia Tech: Amazing size at 6-7 345, but he carries it well, does not look like just a big guy who cannot move out there. Gets good push, at times can get off blocks but not really well. Still is solid and as a NT prospect he would be a great pickup behind the stars ahead of him, that is for sure, and he should be getting a lot more attention than he is.

*Brandon Coleman JR WR Rutgers: A very impressive physical athlete, huge kid, looks as strong as can be. Not always as productive as he should be but still the potential is there. Will see how he does the rest of the season.

*Cameron Erving SOPH OT Florida State: Was a flipping defensive tackle last year, now is on offense and looks great. What a tackle prospect, clearly has the size and explosive ability. What a switch by the staff and he is playing great for being new to the position.

*Mychal Rivera SR TE Tennessee: Coming out of nowhere, really played great and taking advantage of his last season. Being a great pass catching tight end, fast and can stretch the field. Could be an ok late round pickup if he works out well.

*Ben Gardner JR DE Stanford: The kid lived in the backfield for Stanford, it was crazy how often he is back there getting pressure on Barkley. Really impressed and showed a ton of potential as a possible 3/4 DE or a 4/3 DE, really productive and is a must watch in the future.

*Dareyon Chance JR RB Western Michigan: The guy is literally 5-0 tall, might be the shortest football player I have ever heard of. But he can play, his thick, runs hard and quick as can be. Might get a chance in the league because he is so hard to find and get low on. Will watch his productive in time that is for sure.

*Nick Moody SR OLB Florida State: Physical freak, wish he was still at safety but a good move long term to put him at linebacker. Really takes on blocks well, can get pressure and obviously has wonderful speed. Could be one hell of a prospect considering all of the spread offenses in football now a days.

*Dann O'Neill SR OT Western Michigan: One to really watch for, huge kid at 6-8, has decent technical skill and mobility on the field for a guy his size. Could develop into a very fine player at the next level. Should be a solid prospect at offensive tackle in a some what weak class coming up for the draft.

*Jamie Wilson FR WR Western Michigan: Very good looking receiver, great route runner, soft hands, quick. Should be real productive all season long for Western Michigan. Great looking prospect for such a small school.

*Ra'Shede Hageman JR DT Minnesota: Really nice looking talent, has never really played great but now he getting strong and learning pass rush moves. Had great quarterback pressures late in the game. Nice size, good athlete being a former tight end, could be one to really watch come next season that is for sure.

*Tre Jackson SOPH OG Florida State: Like his size, like his athletic ability, good in motion and blocking down field. Nice looking player on a sound Florida State offensive line.

*Trent Murphy JR OLB Stanford: Freak show athlete, huge kid, great size. Lacks in production at times but is one to keep an eye on. Can be a terror at times and has potential as a OLB or DE, nice talent.

*Mark Harrison SR WR Rutgers: Huge kid, very physically strong, looks like a linebacker. Has soft hands, runs good routes and is part of a stellar receiving core for Rutgers. Could sneak into the draft with good workouts I think with his size.

*Marquise Goodwin SR WR Texas: This Olympian should be in the NFL next year. Obviously has speed and is a great athlete. He is quick, runs routes well, catches the ball effortlessly. He is a player and should be a great pick in rounds 3-5 possibly if not higher depending on what other WR's come out.

*Trevor Reilly JR OLB Utah: Love his size at OLB, 6-5, big tall kid but is a great athlete. Can really run and get after the quarterback. He is really fast and experienced in that defensive system, could be one heck of a prospect OLB in the draft this year or next.

*Cornellius Carradine SR DE Florida State: Played great just like his teammate. Really showing he has great speed for his size, toughness and can easily get consistent pressure. No real doubt he could do it, he showed this potential last year and now is just getting the playing time. Those two FSU ends will terrorize everyone they play this year, two of the best par of ends on one team in a long long time.

*Logan Ryan SR CB Rutgers: Love his ball skills, has nice size, reacts to the ball well and is a very good player. Could be a steal at corner for any team come next years draft.

*Joe Bergeron SOPH RB Texas: What a thick kid, huge really, very wide, fast and quick. Very nice prospect and great to see Texas getting back to the basics and running the football down hill.

*Alex Carder SR QB Western Michigan: Nice looking talent, should be drafted I feel. Has a big arm, good athlete and is a lot more sound technically than some other quarterbacks in his class.

*Rushel Shell FR RB Pitt: Another freshman star running back, what a surprise. Beast of a player, hard to bring down, very fast, will be really fun to watch develop in his career.

*Josh Mauro JR DT Stanford: Love his size for a defensive tackle, big tall kid and literally bull rushed the USC center into the backfield all by himself. Will be one to watch out for the rest of the season.

*Blake Hammond SR TE Western Michigan: Love his soft hands, really good at catching the football. Not a great athlete but is fast enough and is good at route running. His hands are what separates him, if he gets a chance in the NFL that will be why.

*Nick Waisome SOPH CB Florida State: Who needs Greg Reid? Waisome showed great ball skills and quickness at corner. Long arms, good reaction time, not the biggest player but he has the speed and the ball skills to be a sound corner prospect developmentally.

*Brendan Bigelow SOPH RB Cal: What a run, one of the best runs I have seen in awhile came from him. Showed great open field speed and toughness, if he keeps up this production he could be one heck of a prospect. And the stadium he did all of this at, very impressive for a unknown player before this game.

*Rashad Greene SOPH WR Florida State: Love his speed, really fast kid with good quickness as well. Small so that is an issue but hard to argue that deep threat potential that he is with the ball in his hands.

*Terrance Smith FR OLB Florida State: The keep getting these small linebackers, great speed and quickness, long arms and almost look like safeties. Will be interesting to see how they all pan out at the next level if they get there. But still they are building one heck of a defense in Tallahassee.

Disappointed:
DC Jefferson SR TE Rutgers: Not impressed with his blocking at all, and is almost a non prospect in the passing game. Big kid, had the physical size and athletic ability but still has a long ways to go, disappointing.

Cobi Hamilton SR WR Arkansas: What a soft player, I really liked his potential last year but disappeared against Bama. Has ability but he is really going to have to pickup his game, he has question mark all over him now unable to be the #1 receiver on Arkansas.

Knile Davis SR RB Arkansas: Just not the same, was so explosive and hard to stop before the injury. Still will get a chance in the NFL I feel though but is not as good as he once was, but who is against Alabama.

Johnny Adams SR CB Michigan State: Got beat a few times, disappointing, did not make many plays and seems slow to react in coverage. Still has time to improve but did not have a good showing at all this weekend.

Tyler Bray JR QB Tennessee: Still a good talent but shows he will have to come back another season. Has ability but his accuracy has to improve, much less his on the field and off the field leadership. Because it is not like he does not have weapons to throw too.

BJ Daniels SR QB South Florida: Tons of talent, and supposedly is being a better leader which is great. But just cannot throw the football that well, and lacks in accuracy. Still has time to prove himself but against a good defense he looked lost.

Brandon Mitchell JR WR/QB Arkansas: Really thought he had a lot of potential as a quarterback. But given a chance he did not play well at all, showed he is one heck of an athlete though. And clearly Arkansas already knows that and that is why he was playing WR before. Still has potential as a quarterback but really doubt he will become one.

EJ Manuel SR QB Florida State: Good player, they did win but if FSU does not make the National title game if will be because of him. Manuel is just not accurate and that seems to be one of the few things that could beat FSU right now is turnovers. Will see how he does the rest of the season, but hopefully he does not lose FSU the chance at a title, because the defense will never be an issue.

Note: Florida State put on one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen, they killed Wake! Penetration in the backfield on almost every play. Such speed at linebacker, like they have seven defensive backs out there. Very few missed tackles. Just sick performance, and oh yeah the defensive line performance, wow!

Witten4HOF
09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
*Star Lotulelei SR NT Utah: Holy ****, clearly the kid is not over hyped. He is all over the field, is in wonderful shape, thick, strong, quick. He is totally deserving of a high high 1st round selection. Unlike Mr. Poe from last year. Lotuelei was more productive and active on the field in like a half than Poe was all last season for Memphis.

Clearly at great year for NT prospects. Had a very nice game, much more impressed then when I watched him in the Utah St game. Hankins and Jenkins are going to make a push as top 15 picks imo

*Justin Hunter JR WR Tennessee: What a flipping freak show, looks a lot stronger than he did as a freshman. Still has that good speed and leaping ability. Should be without question the #1 WR taken in the draft if he comes out.

I think it is safe to say he is healty, If Patterson delcares I think he is a guy who could climb up draft boards in a hurry.

*Cory Grissom SR NT South Florida: Big thick beast, can gain penetration and get into the backfield. Is not an elite athlete clearly but for a space eater and a solid NT he is a good looking player.

Pork Chop was able to get some good penetration against Rutgers. Was able to jam up the run for a good portion of the game. As a Rutgers fan I can tell you the O-line is a sore spot on the team so it wasn't surprising that he was that effective. Wore down toward the end of the game.

*Logan Ryan SR CB Rutgers: Love his ball skills, has nice size, reacts to the ball well and is a very good player. Could be a steal at corner for any team come next years draft.

Has a knack for getting his hands on the ball and does a nice job when left out on a island.

Note: Florida State put on one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen, they killed Wake! Penetration in the backfield on almost every play. Such speed at linebacker, like they have seven defensive backs out there. Very few missed tackles. Just sick performance, and oh yeah the defensive line performance, wow!

Xavier Rhodes looks like a grown man on the outside, he is my pet cat as a FS prospect but he is looking legit as a corner.

rawdawg
09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Knile Davis makes me want to cry when I watch him this year. I feel really bad for the kid. He looked like the 2nd coming of Herschel Walker a couple years ago, now he looks like he needs a walker.

I was going back and forth between a few guys to start this season, as far as who's the best at their position. But just as Jarvis Jones officially separated himself for me last week, I think Star Lotulelei (even though Hankins also had a strong game) did so this week.

Also, I love CBs that play well for the non-powerhouse schools in BCS conferences. It's easy to look like a star CB when you have LSU or Bama's front 4. But guys like Logan Ryan (and Casey Hayward last year) are especially impressive to me because they constantly take the other team's best WR and do well against them despite very little support from the other 10 on D.

And I saw Rushel Shell play in HS here in Pittsburgh. He's a beast. Pitt fans were actually hoping for Ray Graham to leave school so that Shell would get more touches this year.

Ozzy
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Witten4HOF Xavier Rhodes looks like a grown man on the outside, he is my pet cat as a FS prospect but he is looking legit as a corner.Yeah I have liked him since he was a freshman, thought he had potential to come out early last year and be a very high pick at corner as a RS Sophomore. Had a good year but not flashy, this year I expect huge things out of him and I do believe he is a legit corner. Great technique, reacts well to the ball and has such long arms, he should be the #1 corner taken in the draft if he comes out early and plays up to his ability this year.

rawdawg
I was going back and forth between a few guys to start this season, as far as who's the best at their position. But just as Jarvis Jones officially separated himself for me last week, I think Star Lotulelei (even though Hankins also had a strong game) did so this week.

Also, I love CBs that play well for the non-powerhouse schools in BCS conferences. It's easy to look like a star CB when you have LSU or Bama's front 4. But guys like Logan Ryan (and Casey Hayward last year) are especially impressive to me because they constantly take the other team's best WR and do well against them despite very little support from the other 10 on D.

And I saw Rushel Shell play in HS here in Pittsburgh. He's a beast. Pitt fans were actually hoping for Ray Graham to leave school so that Shell would get more touches this year.
Yeah I was really impressed with Rutgers overall, had a lot of good looking prospects. Not many great corners around but there are there if you look and Ryan is proof of that.

As for Shell, the best and most dominating running teams always have more than one RB. They are better off with both players because both can stay fresh and bring something different to the table.

rawdawg Knile Davis.... looked like the 2nd coming of Herschel Walker a couple years ago, now he looks like he needs a walker. :lol: That should be the line of the day, good one.

Duffman57
09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah I have liked him since he was a freshman, thought he had potential to come out early last year and be a very high pick at corner as a RS Sophomore. Had a good year but not flashy, this year I expect huge things out of him and I do believe he is a legit corner. Great technique, reacts well to the ball and has such long arms, he should be the #1 corner taken in the draft if he comes out early and plays up to his ability this year.

NO! You SHHHHHH, he has to last till San Diego at #32 ;) lol

But another guy who really impressed me was Daniel McCullers. Dude was a MONSTER in the middle vs. Florida, was penetrating, and honestly doing whatever he wanted with that Florida interior OL...

He carries his weight better than any man that big ever should....EVER....he doesn't even look fat, like at all...

Ozzy
09-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Duffman57
NO! You SHHHHHH, he has to last till San Diego at #32 ;) lol

But another guy who really impressed me was Daniel McCullers. Dude was a MONSTER in the middle vs. Florida, was penetrating, and honestly doing whatever he wanted with that Florida interior OL...

He carries his weight better than any man that big ever should....EVER....he doesn't even look fat, like at all...Good call, he did flash that is for sure. I did not watch specifically him that much because I was flipping around through like 8 other games... Will really have to get a close look at him that is for sure, like you said, he does not move like a man listed as 6-8 360.

Against NC State early he did not flash as much as he did against Florida at times, but for sure is a worth a long close look at that size.

justdoit12
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Just noticed something that no one else has posted about. Stedman Bailey from WVU leads the NCAA in receiving yards per game with 138.5 and touchdowns with 5. With the way Geno is playing I think we will be seeing lots more of him this year.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland: Freshman receiver is probably already Maryland's best player. Dangerous both as a receiver and a kick returner.

Matt Frustenburg, TE, Maryland: should be considered along with Stonebrunner and Lutzenkirchen as a solid mid-late round TE

Sheldon Richardson, DL, Mizzou: Was a force early on though he seemed to wear down as the game progressed.

Casey Pachal, QB, TCU: I'm surprised at the progress he's made in the last year. Looks like a legitimate 2nd round prospect atm.

Tavon Austin/Ace Sanders: Two undersized playmakers who just seem to make things happen when the ball is in their hands.

Devin Taylor, DE, Scar: Clowney gets all the hype but Taylor is a solid player in his own right. Huge frame at 6'8.

Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA: Looks like someone to keep an eye out for going forward.

Kaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers: Very underrated propsect. Could see him going early on day 2.

Manti Te’o, LB, ND: Absolute stud, top 15 pick.

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU: One of the best freshman receivers in the country. Crazy blend of size and speed.

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: Last night was the first I've seen of him and I was very surprised with his arm strength. Might have the makings of a top pick.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB Oregon: No one seems to be mentioning him but this kid can ball.

Colt Lyerla, TE/H-Back, Oregon: Might be one of the most intriguing prospects in the country. Will likely translate to TE at the next level with his blend of size, speed and blocking ability.

Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas: Most wanted more from him and they got it and then some yesterday.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU: Shut down Watkins/Hopkins more than adequately. Got beat on the first Ford TD but it looked like his teammate left him hanging.

Bjoern Werner/Tank Carradine, DE, FSU: Mentioned them last week but I have to again. They're the best pass rush combo in the country and they were the difference against Clemson. Consistently got pressure and disrupted the Clemson attack in the backfield. Werner has an outstanding motor and is a legitimate top 10 pick imo.

Disappointing:

Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St.: He had a very solid game but I question his ability as a pro prospect. He has a very strange throwing motion I found. It's long developing and allows the DBs to get a good read on where he wants to go before the ball is out of his hand. Still lot's of time to correct this before he is even eligible however.

EJ Manuel/Landry Jones: Don't know if I would use a pick on either one tbh. Definitely wouldn't take them over a number of other QBs like Geno, Barkley, Pachall, Wilson, Bray, etc...

Marquess Wilson: Watched him the last two weeks and I saw some really bad drops. Numbers might be inflated due to his competition as well. I think he's a decent prospect but at the moment he's highly overrated.

keylime_5
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
DT Johnathan Hankins was dominant this week. Showed why he will be a top pick next April if he declares for the draft. Making tackles all over the place, guys that big shouldn't be able to have that kind of quickness and movement ability.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-23-2012, 11:47 AM
I should say, I wouldn't use a pick on Manuel. I don't think Jones is terrible but I certainly don't see the upside of a 1st round pick and I wouldn't take him over the guys I mentioned. He could make a solid backup at the least though.

TACKLE
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
DT Johnathan Hankins was dominant this week. Showed why he will be a top pick next April if he declares for the draft. Making tackles all over the place, guys that big shouldn't be able to have that kind of quickness and movement ability.

I'm quickly becoming a big Hankins fan. I know he's versatile but if you had to pick one ideal position for him, what would it be?

Ozzy
09-23-2012, 03:44 PM
"Todd Bertuzzi" Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland: Freshman receiver is probably already Maryland's best player. Dangerous both as a receiver and a kick returner. Totally agree, crazy impressed with the talent on Maryland in general, no clue they had that many good players.

Matt Frustenburg, TE, Maryland: should be considered along with Stonebrunner and Lutzenkirchen as a solid mid-late round TE True he should be a solid tight end prospect and will find a team in the NFL, quite the route runner and has nice burst of speed. Sadly for him he has a hell of a lot of competition around the country at that position.

Casey Pachal, QB, TCU: I'm surprised at the progress he's made in the last year. Looks like a legitimate 2nd round prospect atm. Totally agree, with his size at 6-5, great arm strength and awesome athletic ability. However he has very bad decision making at times which will possible keep him from ever being an elite player. Hopefully he comes back for his senior season next year, talent wise though he is right up there with the best of them

Tavon Austin/Ace Sanders: Two undersized playmakers who just seem to make things happen when the ball is in their hands. Yeah Ace had a hell of a game, what a return he had on special teams

Devin Taylor, DE, Scar: Clowney gets all the hype but Taylor is a solid player in his own right. Huge frame at 6'8. True, has been on the radar for what seems like forever, big time talent that yes gets overlooked

Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA: Looks like someone to keep an eye out for going forward. Yeah came out of no where, what an elite pass catcher, great speed and big play potential. But nice to have someone to throw him the ball too in Hundley

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU: One of the best freshman receivers in the country. Crazy blend of size and speed. That reverse he ran was insane, obviously has size but that kind of speed. One of the most rare physical athletes at receiver I have ever seen, was Calvin Johnson ever 243 pounds? It is crazy at that size to be that fast yet he does not look like a tight end and runs quite well.

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: Last night was the first I've seen of him and I was very surprised with his arm strength. Might have the makings of a top pick. [b]Top pick, Oregon quarterback, since when? One name, Jeremiah Masoli looked like a quarterback star at Oregon too.....

Colt Lyerla, TE/H-Back, Oregon: Might be one of the most intriguing prospects in the country. Will likely translate to TE at the next level with his blend of size, speed and blocking ability. Finally Oregon has some power in that running game, they have been missing that for awhile now, not since Blount have they had a big power back like that, and this guy is bigger.

Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas: Most wanted more from him and they got it and then some yesterday. Yeah I ripped him last week, really came back and what a turn around against decent corners on Rutgers.

Bjoern Werner/Tank Carradine, DE, FSU: Mentioned them last week but I have to again. They're the best pass rush combo in the country and they were the difference against Clemson. Consistently got pressure and disrupted the Clemson attack in the backfield. Werner has an outstanding motor and is a legitimate top 10 pick imo. Agree, Werner might not quite be top 10 with today's offense driven NFL, but is easily 1st round I think

Disappointing:

Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St.: He had a very solid game but I question his ability as a pro prospect. He has a very strange throwing motion I found. It's long developing and allows the DBs to get a good read on where he wants to go before the ball is out of his hand. Still lot's of time to correct this before he is even eligible however. I disagree, at his age he is quite the prospect

EJ Manuel/Landry Jones: Don't know if I would use a pick on either one tbh. Definitely wouldn't take them over a number of other QBs like Geno, Barkley, Pachall, Wilson, Bray, etc... Disagree with you on Manuel, what a game he had, proved a lot

Todd Bertuzzi
09-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: Last night was the first I've seen of him and I was very surprised with his arm strength. Might have the makings of a top pick. Top pick, Oregon quarterback, since when? One name, Jeremiah Masoli looked like a quarterback star at Oregon too.....

EJ Manuel/Landry Jones: Don't know if I would use a pick on either one tbh. Definitely wouldn't take them over a number of other QBs like Geno, Barkley, Pachall, Wilson, Bray, etc... Disagree with you on Manuel, what a game he had, proved a lot

Haha I was thinking the same thing but his arm really stood out to me. Admittedly I've only seen a small sample size and I'll need to see more but from what I saw I came away very impressed. Masoli never had the size or the arm Mariota has though and was never a pro prospect.

As for Manuel, I can't argue he didn't have a good game but as a pro prospect I don't see it in him at all. Lot's of mechanics issues.

keylime_5
09-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm quickly becoming a big Hankins fan. I know he's versatile but if you had to pick one ideal position for him, what would it be?

put him as a one gapper in a 4 man front. He could play the nose or the 3 tech, but I figure they'd probably put him as a 1 tech shade over the guard and center in the pros. Some defenses interchange their DTs though at the 1 and 3 - like the Browns I know do.

Ozzy
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Week 3:
*Ezekiel Ansah SR DE BYU: What a freak, great size, was supposedly a former big time track athlete. Crazy raw, has very little experience, the upside with his guys is amazing and do not be surprised if he is picked in the 2nd or 3rd round if he keeps playing well this year.

*Chris Thompson SR RB Florida State: Have to give that FSU line a lot of credit. But has come off great from his injury. Gives that Barry Sanders juke move and has big time speed. Catches the ball out of the backfield well, just having a dynamite year.

*Anthony Barr JR OLB UCLA: One of the reasons UCLA leads the nation in sacks, converted TE, is athletic, quick and gives great effort on the field. Quite a position switch made by him and that coaching staff.

*Brandon Carter SOPH WR TCU: Mad two sick catches, is a big time receiver with what appears to be some of the best hands in the nation. Should develop into a great one and is arguably one of the most talented receivers TCU has had in a long time.

*Menelik Watson JR OT Florida State: One of many Florida State offensive lineman where it is like where did they get this guy? Big masher, nice athlete and love his power, must watch as the year goes forward.

*Christian Jones JR ILB Florida State: At times he got beat in coverage, but other times he was right with the great receivers of Clemson down field. So impressive coming from a very large man at middle linebacker. Very rare speed he shows for that position.

*Oday Aboushi SR OT Virginia: Is a very talented player, good athlete, blocks down field and will benefit from a weak offensive tackle class. With a good year could play himself up to be a 1st round pick.

*Zeke Motta SR S Notre Dame: Love this kid, big thick kid, tough and has good speed. Great tackler in the open field, not afraid to make a hit. Seems to know the game well and reacts well. Could be a sleeper safety prospect come draft day, very impressed with him as a senior.

*Brandin Cooks SOPH WR Oregon State: What speed he has a receiver, great quickness, one of the fastest receivers I have seen this year from a dead stop.

*Josue Matias SOPH OG Florida State: Just a mauler, big kid, moves really well and can crush people. Rick Trickett has things going on down there at Florida State, arguably has 4 NFL caliber offensive lineman.

*Eric Kendricks SOPH ILB UCLA: Love his speed, good size and should be a star linebacker in the future.

*Jeff Driskel SOPH QB Florida: Finally showing his ability, moves to the top of his class as a sophomore. Has an absolute gun for an arm and is a great athlete as well, showing why he was so highly recruited.

*EJ Manuel SR QB Florida State: Was hard on him last week but what things can change in a week. So impressed with how he stayed with what the defense gave him and they ripped Clemson apart. Accurate passer, did not make many mistakes and was unstoppable as a runner. If he keeps up this type of play he could climb in a very deep quarterback class of juniors and seniors.

*Geno Smith SR QB West Virginia: Very impressed with his toughness on the field. Was into the game, good on the field leadership. Throws an accurate ball with good touch. Not much to not like about him and he is slowing becoming possible the #2 QB prospect in the up coming draft. But Murray is still right with him.

*Karl Joseph FR S West Virginia: What an athlete, huge kid, big for a freshman and looks like a linebacker yet is a safety. Have to watch him develop, could be a star and hopefully he stays at safety and does not become a linebacker type like Garvin on that defense.

*Perry Jones SR RB Virginia: What a threat out of the backfield, shows such great hands in the passing game. Has always ran the ball hard but now if he keeps up his pass catching out of the backfield he could become a draftable player just because of that catching ability potentially.

*John Gruenschlaeger FR OT Kentucky: Must see this kid, huge, freaking huge kid. Did not see much of him and only noticed him late, but the guy is 6-11 339! Frigging huge, and as a freshman is a must watch to see if he can develop over the years, got to catch Kentucky next time they are on TV, look for #71.

*Daniel Sorensen JR SS BYU: Like his toughness, good tackler, hits hard and finishes his tackles. Is not a star athlete or super fast, but will surprise a lot of people and would not surprise me to see him on an NFL roster one day.

*Joe Vellano SR DT/DE Maryland: Really good at using his hands to get off blocks. Has all the moves, quick and gives good consistent effort. Is almost taylor made for a 3/4 DE position in the NFL. Should be a decent 2nd to 3rd round pick potentially because of that.

*Donte Moncrief SOPH WR Ole Miss: Very impressed him his ability, is like a basketball player going after the ball in the air. Very smooth, good athlete and has nice hands, could be an absolute star down the road.

*D.J. Humphries FR OT Florida: Huge recruit, did not disappoint, still a very small tackle for football standards but is a great athlete. And even being only about 270 still gets good push. In time when he gets stronger watchout! Reminds me a lot of a young Tyron Smith, has that same build.

*Bennett Jackson JR CB Notre Dame: Great corner play, such an upgrade from last year. Very good tackler in the open field, always around the football, just an overall solid player and part of a very improved Irish defense.

*Kareem Martin JR DE UNC: Once again, another large athletic outside pass rushing DE, good size, has really good quickness and is one of a long line of athletic tall pass rushers around the country.

*Braxston Cave SR C Notre Dame: In a weak center class for the upcoming draft, Cave is one of the better ones I have seen and could benefit from that weak class potentially.

*Ryan Shazier SOPH OLB Ohio State: Makes mistakes but is such an a elite and powerful athlete. Really fast, hits hard and once he gains a better understanding of the game and where to be, wow.

*Cornelius Lucas JR OT Kansas State: Another huge lineman, 6-9, giant man and is a very good run blocker. Part of a solid offensive line on Kansas State and a nice prospect to watch out for that is for sure.

*Shaquelle Evans JR WR UCLA: Was brought up already but wow, what a deep threat, where did he come from. Has nice hands, gets good separation and is part of a major offensive turnaround for UCLA.

*Scott Crichton SOPH DE Oregon State: Love his upside, he is a big thick kid, good pass rushing moves, gives consistent pressure. Former freshman standout, now part of a very improved Oregon State defense and has worlds of potential.

*Casey Pachall JR QB TCU: Makes bad choices on the field at times, but just on straight potential he has a ton of it. Big arm, good athlete, great size and height. I hope he comes back for his senior season, he could really become a great player with some more work.

*Ryan Murphy SOPH FS Oregon State: Like his size at safety, knows the game, good tackler, long arms. Is a very interesting player at safety and should only get better in time.

*Connor Hamlett SOPH TE Oregon State: Huge kid, love his giant size, seems to have good hands a good body control. Should kill it in the Pac-12 and really be an outstanding prospect come next season.

*Demarcus Lawrence SOPH DE Boise State: Like how active he is off the edge, a little small but plays larger than he is. Very good athlete and could be a prime OLB in a 3/4 possible and with his age he will only get better.

*Chaz Sutton JR DE South Carolina: Like his potential, is a hell of a pass rusher even though he does not get much playing time. Good off the edge and come next season he could be a real stud once he gets Taylor's spot when he leaves to the NFL.

*Kenny Cain SR LB TCU: Good athlete, undersized but great in coverage and makes plays all over the field. Smart football player, tough and should get a chance in the league because of his production and speed.

*Perry Hills FR QB Maryland: Very impressed with his playing ability, seems like a big tough kid. Good arm, played great in a tough environment at WV. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders, will be interesting to see him develop.

*Jordan Reed JR TE Florida: Big time athlete, can really get down field and make plays. Gives great effort and he is coming along nicely. Could be a moderate middle round draft pick if he comes out but would be best to come back for his senior season I think.

*Storm Woods FR RB Oregon State: Another stud freshman running back, no surprise. Great speed, toughness, good hands and is quick. Should be a star for Oregon State for a long time and will most likely get a shot at the league.

*Quinshad Davis FR WR UNC: Star receiver, have to see more of him. So big and tall and runs so effortlessly. Got to watch more of him play, just seeming him run a route without catching a ball impressive.

*Matt Jones FR RB Florida: Big tough freshman back, no surprise, is a real attitude changer at Florida and should see more time as the season goes on. Very good prospect.

*Markus Wheaton SR WR Oregon State: Love his quickness and ability to make people miss. Does not amaze you with speed but does have it. Good hands, knows the game, decent late round prospect at receiver I think.

*Jonotthan Harrison JR C Florida: Good thick kid, moves well, smart, looks the part. Should be a very solid center come his senior year.

*Brett Hundley FR QB UCLA: Really impressed with his arm, kid has a gun and throws a great deep ball. Very good athlete as well, really impressed with those abilities, now can he be consistent and perform when everyone knows about him in the future.

*Michael Philipp JR OT Oregon State: Liked him awhile ago, moved to tackle at Oregon State which makes him an even better prospect. Can really play both positions, could move back to OG in the pros. But come next year he could be a really solid OL prospect, highly rated.

*A.J. Francis SR DT Maryland: Productive player, kind of amazed buy that, can really get into the backfield. Good motor on him and a good pass rusher, and at that size that is something special. Could be an outstanding pickup possibly in rounds 3-5.

*D.J. Welch SOPH OLB Oregon State: Former track athlete, big tall kid, clearly has speed. And at linebacker that is something rare, to have his conditioning. Could be a star in that system at Oregon State and is a must watch in the future.

*Sean Mannion SOPH QB Oregon State: Love his size, good arm, nice ability and good leader. Is going to add a big bump to the sophomore quarterback class, he has potential that is for sure.

*Branden Oliver JR RB Buffalo: Great quickness, tough, low to the ground and hard to bring down. Has injury issues though, but if he can stay healthy he has worlds of potential and could be a huge sleeper prospect. Have to watch him play more though.

*Dri Archer JR RB/WR Kent State: Great quickness, good speed, decent playmaker. If he keeps it up he could be one to keep and eye on, had a great game against Buffalo.

Disappointed:
Xavier Sua-Filo SOPH OT/OG UCLA: Very disappointed in how he looks, his upper body seems a little weak and hopefully he can fill it out. Was moved to guard for injuries and did not play well, might have been cause for his struggles at times. But basically I expected him to be in better shape than he is, and still has the lower body stoutness but has a ways to go to get back where he was originally before his mission.

Dorial Green-Beckham FR WR Missouri: For such a big time recruit, #1 player in the country. Pretty lack luster so far, not very impressive, give him time though but is a surprise he cannot be effective yet in a pass happy offense. Still early though and will give him time.

TACKLE
09-23-2012, 05:37 PM
put him as a one gapper in a 4 man front. He could play the nose or the 3 tech, but I figure they'd probably put him as a 1 tech shade over the guard and center in the pros. Some defenses interchange their DTs though at the 1 and 3 - like the Browns I know do.

I agree. (Not that he has to be limited to just this role because as you said, some teams don't have a set 1 and 3) I think he could be special if he was able to get in that 315-320lb 3-tech. I know he allegedly is around 320 now but I doubt he's a pound under 330.

keylime_5
09-23-2012, 06:07 PM
I think whatever weight he is now (looks at LEAST 320, probably 330ish really) is fine considering how well he moved in yesterday's game, making plays on the QB running to the sidelines - and he played almost every defensive snap the entire game without getting gassed. His stamina was impressive. People see his size and assume he'll be a 1 tech or a 0 tech, but he plays 3 tech and (sometimes even 5 tech) at Ohio State and he can do so in the pros too (play the 3 that is).

mqtirishfan
09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Ozzy, the fact that you seem to be watching the ND defense and continue to not mention Stephon Tuitt astounds me.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Ozzy, the fact that you seem to be watching the ND defense and continue to not mention Stephon Tuitt astounds me.

Louis Nix has really impressed me as well. Looks like he has great athleticism especially for a guy his size. He seems like a pretty underrated prospect.

TACKLE
09-24-2012, 03:25 PM
This past weekend, Da'Rick Rogers had 18 catches, 303 yards and 2 TD's for Tennessee Tech in a loss.

Ozzy
09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
mqtirishfan Ozzy, the fact that you seem to be watching the ND defense and continue to not mention Stephon Tuitt astounds me.Boys I am fully aware of Tuitt and Nix, just had them listed in the past. I usually save a standout listing to players I have newly seen and put on my radar or players that really played well and stood out. Clearly both Tuitt and Nix have great size and just think if Lynch did not transfer, that defensive line would be ridiculous.

TACKLE This past weekend, Da'Rick Rogers had 18 catches, 303 yards and 2 TD's for Tennessee Tech in a loss.Yeah that is no surprise, he is easily a top five receiver in the up coming draft if he comes out early.

CashmoneyDrew
09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
This past weekend, Da'Rick Rogers had 18 catches, 303 yards and 2 TD's for Tennessee Tech in a loss.

Before he was kicked out of UT, lots of people were saying he was the best WR on the team this whole offseason.

:(

keylime_5
09-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Too bad Bray doesn't have Rogers and a healthy Turner to throw to this year. I was looking forward to that. 300 yards receiving at any level no matter how good you are is ridiculous....how does a team let that happen? You'd think after a guy gets 200+ yards on you that you'd figure out a way to stack the defense so they don't throw it to him anymore.

D-Unit
09-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Dropped my jaw.

CaQZqRiIXdA

rawdawg
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland: Freshman receiver is probably already Maryland's best player. Dangerous both as a receiver and a kick returner.

Yeah, he looked really good. The young WRs in the country (FR and SO) are better than I've ever seen as a group.

Casey Pachal, QB, TCU: I'm surprised at the progress he's made in the last year. Looks like a legitimate 2nd round prospect atm.

Love the guy. I was a huge Andy Dalton fan but he runs circles around Dalton from a pure talent standpoint. If he learns some of Dalton's feel for the QB position, he's a star. As I said in another thread, if he comes back I think he's a legit threat for the #1 overall pick in 2014.

Kaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers: Very underrated propsect. Could see him going early on day 2.

Manti Te’o, LB, ND: Absolute stud, top 15 pick.

Agree on both. I think Greene's going to run extremely well at the combine and see a huge boost in his draft status ala Mychal Kendricks last year. He's shown it all this year vs. the run, pass, blitzing. May be the #1 true 4-3 OLB in the draft.

As for Te'o....I will admit I am always skeptical of ND players. As a person who lived most of his life in South Bend, I've seen about 95% of their games since probably 1986. I know Te'o has been widely regarded as a stud since HS, but I was waiting for him to have one of those games that shows me, "ok this guy is a star". This was the game. He spied on Denard most of the game and did a very good job of it, not letting him take over the game with his legs like in past years. He was simply amazing vs. Michigan.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU: Shut down Watkins/Hopkins more than adequately. Got beat on the first Ford TD but it looked like his teammate left him hanging.

Bjoern Werner/Tank Carradine, DE, FSU: Mentioned them last week but I have to again. They're the best pass rush combo in the country and they were the difference against Clemson. Consistently got pressure and disrupted the Clemson attack in the backfield. Werner has an outstanding motor and is a legitimate top 10 pick imo.

It's a 3-man race for the #1 CB off the board, IMO. Rhodes, Banks, or Milliner. If Rhodes can run anywhere in the neighborhood of 4.5, he's #1 for me. He's so physical and technically sound. Really impressed that he didn't get overwhelmed by Clemson's speed.

Werner's definitely a 1st round pick. Probably not top 10, in a class with Jones and Mingo (possibly Montgomery and Lemonier) going ahead of him. But he's a solid top 20 pick, and going to be a solid NFL player. "Safer" pick than a couple of those guys ahead/with him. But to me, Carradine always jumps out on tape. Very active. Very stout at the POA. Not an elite first step guy, but kind of reminds me of an Israel Idonije type. May not be a 1st round pick, but no way does he get out of the 2nd.

BamaFalcon59
09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Too bad Bray doesn't have Rogers and a healthy Turner to throw to this year. I was looking forward to that. 300 yards receiving at any level no matter how good you are is ridiculous....how does a team let that happen? You'd think after a guy gets 200+ yards on you that you'd figure out a way to stack the defense so they don't throw it to him anymore.

They did. He only had like 6 catches for 70 yards in the second half.

bruschis4all
09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Dropped my jaw.

CaQZqRiIXdA

The ridiculous attempt to strip the ball and not tackle him was as bad as the return was good. If the tackle is made, like any decent high schooler could do. It's a good return. Not a highlight reel one. Number one from Missouri should be running laps for the rest of the week. Or, whatever they're allowed to do to punish kids these days.

Giantsfan1080
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Khas Greene is going to time very well but it all depends on his weight. He was a bit undersized last year because he just making the transition from S to LB. He added about 15-20 pounds of muscle in the offseason and hasn't seemed to lose any speed which is a great sign. I'd like to say right now he probably has a 3rd or 4th round grade but if all goes well maybe he ends up in the late 2nd.

Giantsfan1080
09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
And just to follow up on Greene, Kiper now has him as his #1 Sr OLB.

Ozzy
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Giantsfan1080 And just to follow up on Greene, Kiper now has him as his #1 Sr OLB.
I do not buy that exactly, Jarvis Jones is a redshirt junior so technically he is a senior...but some do not count him as such.

Much less you also have guys like Shayne Skov, Michael Mauti, Uona Kaveinga that would compete with him as senior outside linebackers. However one could mark Skov or Mauti as inside 3/4 linebackers also but that could be said for most linebackers in general with good ability. Jonathan Willard, Jamie Collins, Bruce Taylor and Jake Knott are a few more as well that could compete with Greene at that spot.

So #1 overall, that will not happen one because of the underclassmen that will come out, and two because he does have some decent competition that are equal to his same talent level.

D-Unit
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's just Kipers patented "I'll put this player's name high up my rankings because nobody else has him there yet and I want to be known as the guy who talked about him first" move.

Giantsfan1080
09-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah I'm with both of you guys on that. The Kedricks comparison seems really spot on. I liked that a lot. He needs to work on his coverage skills a little more also but this is only his 2nd year at LB so of course you expect some issues.

keylime_5
09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
They did. He only had like 6 catches for 70 yards in the second half.

only six catches, is that all? haha. Well I guess compared to 200+ in the first half it's not much.

Ozzy
09-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Week 4:
*Phillip Dorsett SOPH WR Miami FL: Big time deep threat, wonderful speed, great hand eye coordination, makes very difficult catches. Is a big time prospect that is really playing outstanding football, one of the best receiver prospects they have had in awhile.

*Reid Fragel SR OT Ohio State: Outstanding game, former tight end, really looks good. Thick strong kid, moves well, had some great blocks on a very talented defensive line for Michigan State. Could sky rocket up the draft charts if he keeps playing this well.

*Daniel McCullers JR NT Tennessee: Mountain of a man, just a huge guy, 6-8 listed by some. Big thick tackle, cannot be pushed around and has decent athletic ability. He could be a very high pick whenever he decides to come out, like 1st round potential NT if his conditioning improves.

*Arik Armstead FR DE/DT Oregon: What a freak physically, big thick kid and is worth his high ranking coming out of high school.

*Lawrence Thomas FR DE/FB Michigan State: Played FB for Michigan State but is a giant defensive end and will probably go back there next season, not there now because of depth I assume. But still so impressed a kid like him would switch and play offense and do whatever the team needs at the time.

*Mark Weisman SOPH RB Iowa: Hard to not talk about him, big back, has good open field speed and is really saving the Iowa football season really with his running. Will be interesting if he can keep this up, seems like Iowa always has one and done backs that have a breakout year then leave the team or get kicked off...aka Adam Robinson, Marcus Coker etc.

*Earl Wolff SR S NC State: The team got really beat passing, but Wolff was a constant back there. Made solid tackles, has good motion on the field, reacts well, good technique and decent speed. Is a great late round prospect at safety in my book.

*DeVonte Holloman SR OLB South Carolina: Liking his development, been around for awhile but put on a lot of weight and could be a legit OLB prospect with outstanding coverage skills being a former safety/rover.

*Rajion Neal JR RB Tennessee: Very impressed wit his toughness, thick kid, runs hard, catches the ball out of the backfield. Real solid player and impressed with what he did against a really talented Georgia defense.

*Deon Bush FR S Miami FL: Skinny kid but runs really well, smooth on the field, reacts quick. Could be a star safety and is one to watch develop that is for sure, reacts very well.

*Cody Prewitt SOPH S Ole Miss: Had some major hits against Alabama, fine tackling safety, really good tackles he put on. Must watch in the future, could be one hell of a prospect if he can tackle like that consistently much less cover in the open field.

*Mike James SR RB Miami FL: Sleeper prospect, forget about him but his ability to play full back or running back, and be a tough physical runner. He will be picked up. Teams like the Giants or Steelers love running backs like him.

*Darrius Caldwell FR DE Illinois: So what about Buchanan, Illinois has this guy. Just as big as he is and just as quick. One heck of a player and will follow in that line of speed rushers on Illinois. Should develop into a star.

*Xavier Cooper FR DE/DT Washington State: Impressed with his size and quickness. Gets into the backfield easily and effortlessly. For such a young player he could become a star defensive tackle or defensive end. So odd to be seeing a player like that was Washington State.

*Victor Hampton SOPH CB South Carolina: Love his toughness, good stout kid, thick for a corner. Playing really well for them as a lock down corner and should get only better with age.

*Alec Ogletree JR ILB Georgia: What a freak show, such long arms, great athlete, he could play himself being a possible top 20 pick I think. What a talent with game changing ability in a 3/4 or a 4/3.

*Joel Stave FR QB Wisconsin: Nice looking kid, big and tall, nice arm, can take a hit. They will have a quarterback for quite some time in him, very impressed with him so far as a freshman.

*Mike Glennon SR QB NC State: Gun slinger, playing great to me. Throws the ball so effortlessly, always had that big time arm. Has great height, if his intangibles were better, leadership, toughness, confidence etc, he would be a higher draft pick. That is really only thing holding him back.

*Kasen Williams SOPH WR Washington: Big thick kid, impressed last year and is still on track. Makes people miss, is power and has nice hands, good game against a tough Stanford D.

*Stephen Morris JR QB Miami FL: Was a non prospect in my eyes till this season, what an improvement. Has some damn good receivers to throw too however, but still could argue he is the most improved player in the country off of what he did last year.

*Jay Rome FR TE Georgia: Massive tight end, decent pass catcher, if he proves to be a good blocker he could be a monster tight end in the future, really like his upside.

*Vance McDonald SR TE Rice: Big time tight end talent, real sleeper. Physically he is elite as a pass catcher, could develop into a great tight end target. Is a must watch and have to keep and eye on him come draft time.

*Chris Borland JR ILB/DE Wisconsin: Playing great football, all over the place. Hard to block, stays low to the ground, reacts well. A little undersized but in terms of effort and game changing plays he is doing great things.

*Kenarious Gates JR OT Georgia: One of the stars on a very improved Georgia OL. Big time talent, good athlete and gets low and moves people when he blocks.

Disappointed:
David Amerson JR CB NC State: Has been said already and before, is playing poorly. Clearly was great last year with 13 INT's, but now everyone knows about him and he is not getting the easy INT because people think he cannot play. Hard to preform when everyone is watching and expecting, and that tells a lot that he is playing poorly. Should clearly come back and no go out for the draft if this keeps up.

Travis Frederick JR OG/C Wisconsin: Missing the middle guys more than one thinks, clearly not playing dominating football at center by any means. And should really be moved back to guard.

Rob Havenstein RS SOPH OT Wisconsin: Overrated, was a beast potentially as a freshman, but when he has to perform he is not dominating like he should. For a guy as large as he is, he should be pushing people around more than he is.

SolidGold
09-30-2012, 02:30 PM
*Joel Stave FR QB Wisconsin: Nice looking kid, big and tall, nice arm, can take a hit. They will have a quarterback for quite some time in him, very impressed with him so far as a freshman.

I was impressed with Stave as well. This is coming with the biggest self-confessed Danny O'Brien fan boy (his poor play has disappointed me greatly). Stave made some really impressive throws last night and his arm strength really jumped out at me. Wisconsin needs to just keep this kid in as their QB and suffer through a 9-3 or 8-4 season this year as he develops.

*Mike Glennon SR QB NC State: Gun slinger, playing great to me. Throws the ball so effortlessly, always had that big time arm. Has great height, if his intangibles were better, leadership, toughness, confidence etc, he would be a higher draft pick. That is really only thing holding him back.

I was also high on Glennon at the beginning of the season. It always seems NC State gets down early in games and tries to make feverish comebacks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I would say Glennon is poor man's Mallet. Glennon's consistency is what is most maddening as he has great arm talent. I would put a 4th round grade on him right now as more of a developmental guy with all the tools.

*Chris Borland JR ILB/DE Wisconsin: Playing great football, all over the place. Hard to block, stays low to the ground, reacts well. A little undersized but in terms of effort and game changing plays he is doing great things.

Borland was impressive last night making plays all over the place. A really under the radar prospect. He reminds me of London Fletcher.

Halsey
09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall remind me a little of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. May end up being even better.

Ozzy
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
SolidGold

I was impressed with Stave as well. This is coming with the biggest self-confessed Danny O'Brien fan boy (his poor play has disappointed me greatly). Stave made some really impressive throws last night and his arm strength really jumped out at me. Wisconsin needs to just keep this kid in as their QB and suffer through a 9-3 or 8-4 season this year as he develops.

I was also high on Glennon at the beginning of the season. It always seems NC State gets down early in games and tries to make feverish comebacks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I would say Glennon is poor man's Mallet. Glennon's consistency is what is most maddening as he has great arm talent. I would put a 4th round grade on him right now as more of a developmental guy with all the tools.

Borland was impressive last night making plays all over the place. A really under the radar prospect. He reminds me of London Fletcher.Yeah O'Brien has disappointed, clearly not the leader Russell Wilson was and there was a reason Maryland stopped playing him. Has a good arm but not much else. And with Stave, he will be the starter unless he gets injured.

Yeah Glennon has an awful pedigree, his brother Sean Glennon was disappointing as a player as well on Virginia Tech. Not sure he has the on the field leadership for the NFL. But he clearly has an arm and has far more talent than his brother did.

Borland is undersized, that is true, not sure if he will be a 3/4 ILB or a rush outside linebacker type, one to hustle and get under the pad level of the offensive tackles.

Halsey Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall remind me a little of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. May end up being even better.I would say at this point they are better than those two were. But clearly have got off to a very fast start. Crazy disappointed in that defense though, with all that talent they should not give up the yards they give up.

Halsey
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm disappointed in all college defenses this year. I can't be too mad at UGA when everyone but Alabama is playing swiss cheese defense.

BuckeyeDan17
09-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Week 4:

*Reid Fragel SR OT Ohio State: Outstanding game, former tight end, really looks good. Thick strong kid, moves well, had some great blocks on a very talented defensive line for Michigan State. Could sky rocket up the draft charts if he keeps playing this well.

I didn't expect him to play that well against Gholston - hard to believe he was almost beat out by true freshmen Taylor Decker during the summer.

Todd Bertuzzi
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Nick Florence, QB, Baylor
Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Kenarious Gates, OT, Georgia
Alec Ogeltree, OLB, Georgia
Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia
Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
Joseph Randle, RB, Ok St.
Cooper Bassett, DL, Ok St.
Blake Jackson, WR, Ok St.

Gurley reminds me a little of Trent Richardson.

Babylon
10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
As Ozzy mentioned Arik Armstead of Oregon is going to be a good one. The Ducks used to sort of fool people with gimmicks now they're bringing in top talent.

Another Duck who is going to be really special at the next level is soph athlete Colt Lyerla. He really doesn't have a set position and i don't know where he projects best to at the next level but to me he's a Brain Urlacher type athlete. He already looks like the best TE blocker in the country.

rawdawg
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Nick Florence, QB, Baylor
Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Kenarious Gates, OT, Georgia
Alec Ogeltree, OLB, Georgia
Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia
Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
Joseph Randle, RB, Ok St.
Cooper Bassett, DL, Ok St.
Blake Jackson, WR, Ok St.

Gurley reminds me a little of Trent Richardson.

Ogletree is one of my favorites. He could be one of the league's best 4-3 SLBs or 3-4 ILBs pretty early in his career. Eventually could play the middle with a little more bulk. Could be everything that Aaron Curry was expected to be.

Joseph Randle is probably one of my favorite RBs this year. I had him targeted to the Bears, had they not been able to sign Forte this offseason. I'd pass on a bunch of guys to take Randle in the 2nd. He doesn't have the wear and tear of Ball. Doesn't have the injury red flags of Lattimore and Knile Davis. Has more speed and is a smaller target than Le'Veon Bell. More size than Ellington. More experience as a pass catcher and being "the guy" than Lacy. Looks like an every down back in the NFL to me.

Ozzy
10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Week 5:
*Matt Elam JR SS Florida: What a game, hit like a ton of bricks all game, even hit his own teammates when they got in the mix. Played good in coverage, made great tackles, could play his way into being the #1 SS in the draft if he comes out early.

*Troy Niklas SOPH TE Notre Dame: Possibly the best blocking tight end I have seen. Might have just been a weak Miami front seven, but Niklas completely took out defensive players and literally pushed them down field opening up huge holes. He is a must watch and is a monster prospect, looks like a professional weight lifter, just a great looking prospect and a rare talent.

*Seantrel Henderson JR OT Miami FL: I have been harder on Henderson than anyone, has really had a slow start to his career. But going up against a potential 1st round pass rusher in Shembo, Henderson held his own. Seemed to get a lot lower than he used to, bend his knees more and moved laterally a lot better. Still should be better as a run blocker than he is but overall if he keeps playing this well all season, he is easily a 1st round talent, might be best for him to come back another season and if he keeps improving he could be a top 5 talent in 2014.

*Nickell Robey JR CB USC: Star corner, great athletic ability, seems effortless in coverage. Very few corners out there that one is confident in, I would be confident in leaving Robey on an island, even despite his height, kid can play.

*Aaron Donald JR DT/DE Pitt: Beast in the middle, gets constant pressure, long arms, great pass rusher as a tackle. Could be a possible 3/4 DE in the NFL and could even play DE in a 4/3, but would have to gain some weight to be put in the middle I think.

*Shadrach Thornton FR RB NC State: Another star freshman running back, what else is new. Shows great speed, toughness, hard to bring down and is a game breaker. Catches the ball well out of the backfield ontop of that.

*Avery Williamson JR ILB Kentucky: A bright spot for Kentucky, tough linebacker, stays low to the ground, has good closing speed and athletic ability. He is one of many good inside linebackers in a solid junior class.

*Allen Robinson SOPH WR Penn State: Long armed kid, makes big plays, is a great route runner, really understands the game. A huge weapon for Penn State and a real surprise talent.

*Jonathan Banks SR CB Miss State: Wow he is big, very strong corner, great athlete. Will be interesting to see how he plays in the big games Miss State has coming up. Looks like a safety but can cover, with some improvement in his ball skills in coverage he could be a very high pick, and everyone already knows.

*Deontae Skinner JR OLB Miss State: Like his development, big tough linebacker, can run well and hit hard, is coming along nicely off of a decent season last year.

*La'el Collins SOPH OG LSU: Liked how he played, tough kid, thick, gets good push and is surprisingly athletic for his size.

*Rory Anderson SOPH TE South Carolina: Tall kid, gets big catches for SC a lot. If he fills out a little more he could be a decent late round prospect as a pass catching tight end. Talented player with a lot of potential.

*Josh Francis SR OLB West Virginia: Played a good game, gets good pressure on the quarterback and hits hard. Arguably the best and most impactful defensive player on West Virginia, could possibly translate to a 3/4 linebacker with his quickness and pass rushing ability.

*George Atkinson III SOPH RB Notre Dame: Great speed in the open field, big time game breaker, needs to work on other parts of his game but he is very talented and has big play potential.

*Quintin Payton JR WR NC State: Competed hard and made tough catches against a great defense. Liked his energy on the field and aggressiveness. Decent player with obvious good size and strength.

Disappointed:
Bacarri Rambo SR SS Georgia: Missed an interception that could have totally changed that game. Not very impressive tackling either, did not make many plays. He is one of many disappointing Georgia defensive players in that South Carolina game. Many safeties are playing better than he did, and he is having a little hangover from his early season suspension, not a good start for this once promising player.

Note:
Bill O'Brien and Penn State, wow I never thought he would do what he has at Penn State. They have two or three really good looking freshman. They have some straight up players on that team, a few good tight ends, defense has some very talented linebackers and defensive lineman. Not sure who to give the credit too, the players are providing a lot of personal team leadership and that goes a long ways as well taking accountability. Still O'Brien is doing a good job there, and if they did not lose all those players that transferred, they probably would have won the Big Ten with how well they are looking now.

Don Vito
10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Ole Miss completely **** the bed in a heart and ball breaker yesterday, but Cody Prewitt (sophmore safety) looks to be the real deal. He is a great athlete with above average size, makes big hits, makes plays in coverage, and is a sound tackler. Is a true sophmore so he will be at Ole Miss at least one more year but he looks to be the real deal.

Bo Wallace spread the ball around, Moncrief and Vince Sanders had big games, but the turnovers and a few bad decisions by coach Freeze killed us. A lot to be excited about on the roster for the first time in a while, but we were so close to being 4-2 and finally opening our SEC schedule with a W.

Babylon
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Was impressed with rs freshman QB Marcus Mariota of Oregon. Great makeup for a QB, good speed and an adequate arm that should get stronger over time.

Duck TE Colt Lyerla is also one that impresses. Just about every other reception is for a td and the kid is a physical freak. Runs about a 4.5 at 255lbs and if there is a better blocker in college ball i haven't seen him yet.

Ozzy
10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Babylon

Duck TE Colt Lyerla...and if there is a better blocker in college ball i haven't seen him yet.Its sophomore tight end Troy Niklas from Notre Dame 6-7 260. ;o)

Babylon
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Its sophomore tight end Troy Niklas from Notre Dame 6-7 260. ;o)

If he's as good i would say hats off to him. Lyerla with that 4.5 speed and supposed 45 inch vertical is just a freak athlete. I'll focus more on the ND guy.

Duffman57
10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
If he's as good i would say hats off to him. Lyerla with that 4.5 speed and supposed 45 inch vertical is just a freak athlete. I'll focus more on the ND guy.

Its mostly cuz he's ONLY a blocker. Eifert takes care of anything to do with receiving. But Colt is a manchild. I've had to cover him in basketball, i woulda been luckey to touch him as he blew right by me. But yeah, he's one of those guys who's just a pure football player. He plays FB, TE, H Back and has gotten a good amount of snaps at RB this year for us, which at 6'5" 245, is just flat out unfair with the speed he has. Its like Brandon Jacobs going back to college. He's a jumbo Offensive Weapon type, he doesn't really have one set position, but can do so many things well that you'll want to move him around to maximize his skillset.

SolidGold
10-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Ozzy - we traded posts about Glennon last week. He is a pretty impressive rhythm passer or at least he was last night. Once he was in the zone he was completing everything. He missed a sure TD late in the 4th quarter when he missed the receiver in the middle of the field. He looked a lot better than Manuel though - Glennon has a huge arm and I think last nights game helped his stock some. He is probably a 4th rounder at this point.

BRAVEHEART
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah, Lyerla is a legitimate freak. Speaking of talented TE's, Richard Rodgers at CAL. Maynard should continue to look better now that Rodgers is healthy and back in the line-up.

Dri Archer looks like the most dangerous man in CFB atm.

keylime_5
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
John Simon. 5 tfls and 2 sacks against Nebraska. Awesome.

Bradley Roby had a great day too, 2 interceptions including a TD and a great PBU in the endzone.

princefielder28
10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Jordan Poyer had 3 INTs...that's decent

Ozzy
10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
SolidGold Ozzy - we traded posts about Glennon last week. He is a pretty impressive rhythm passer or at least he was last night. Once he was in the zone he was completing everything. He missed a sure TD late in the 4th quarter when he missed the receiver in the middle of the field. He looked a lot better than Manuel though - Glennon has a huge arm and I think last nights game helped his stock some. He is probably a 4th rounder at this point.Yeah that was a crazy game, knew Manuel and that offense would blow it for the defense and they did, then again they saved the defense in that Clemson game. Glennon showed up though, is not a great leader, is not a magnetic personality but he gets the job done and has a great arm and perfect size for a quarterback. I think he will be a higher pick than a 4th rounder but at least he played good when the pressure was on.

keylime_5 John Simon. 5 tfls and 2 sacks against Nebraska. Awesome.

Bradley Roby had a great day too, 2 interceptions including a TD and a great PBU in the endzone.It is surprising how Ohio State is not better on defense, they have tons of talent at every level. I assume it is because of the lack in experience at the linebacker position, they have talent there but get out of place at times.

And Nebraska, damn they should have been talent on that defense than they do, someone is dropping the ball recruit wise, they have very few playmakers on the defense at all.

princefielder28 Jordan Poyer had 3 INTs...that's decentHe is a smooth corner, not sure where to put him, athletically Jonathan Banks is better and in ball skills and coverage Rhodes is better but Poyer kind of has both, coverage skills and better athletic ability than Rhodes does. Good to see Oregon State back from an awful building season last year.

As for this Colt Lyerla kid, you get back to me when he runs a 4.38 40 and has 33 reps of 225... a la Vernon Davis. Kid is good for sure but not a Vernon Davis type freak athlete at tight end, not yet.

keylime_5
10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
we make so many mental mistakes at LB and S that it's not funny. Poor tackling in our back 7 has hurt us. Defensive line and cornerback are top of the line though.

Etienne Sabino just isn't good, Storm Klein is the worst middle linebacker we've had in years, Ryan Shazier is good but very very young and still learning. We are used to having Brian Rolle, Ross Homan, James Laurinaitis, AJ Hawk, Anthony Schlegel, Bobby Carpenter, Matt Wilhelm, etc. at linebacker. All of our talent at LB currently on the roster are either freshmen or sophomores.

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Curtis Grant?

Babylon
10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
As for this Colt Lyerla kid, you get back to me when he runs a 4.38 40 and has 33 reps of 225... a la Vernon Davis. Kid is good for sure but not a Vernon Davis type freak athlete at tight end, not yet.[/QUOTE]

So by that standard we can't call DBs freaks unless they match Deion Sanders 4.2 40 or WRs freaks till they run a 4.3 like Calvin Johnson.

Todd Bertuzzi
10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Judging by his on field speed I'd say he's definitely a solid 4.4 guy right now. Couple that with his vertical and he's bordering on the freak athlete category. I mean Oregon still uses him at RB at times so that should tell you something right there. Not really sure bench reps have much to do with anything but here's a video of him doing 20 reps coming out of high school at what looks like 185 so I'm sure come draft day he'll be able to throw up 20-30 minimum at 225.

WlHIrj7qyW0

He's still very raw but his potential is through the roof right now. Might be the best TE prospect since VD if he develops properly going forward. Here's some tape from the Arizona game where they used him at RB towards the end. He's the total package imo.

A-NF_l4uaTk

keylime_5
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Curtis Grant?

He's Storm Klein's backup at middle linebacker. Hasn't grasped the game mentally yet. A bust so far, looking like Sabino 2.0.

Ozzy
10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Babylon
So by that standard we can't call DBs freaks unless they match Deion Sanders 4.2 40 or WRs freaks till they run a 4.3 like Calvin Johnson.I guess yeah you are right, but it is a little interesting that at least for me, his ability at running back is more promising to me than his ability at tight end. That kind of player at running back is real interesting I think. Because he can catch the ball out of the backfield and be used as a receiver as well from that spot. But I will have to focus more of him as a blocker and see if he is that good at it, if so then yes being kept on the line as a tight end will be most likely. That is what interest me about him though at this stage, that running ability hypothetically.

But again still has a long ways to be a pass catching target like Vernon Davis was in college and is in the pros. Sure 40 time I guess is one thing and is just a stat in reality, actual production as a deep threat tight end is another.

soybean
10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
For USC I'd like to put in Morgan Breslin this week as well. He didn't record a sack but had a tackle for loss on White and had an almost sack that lead to the pick six by Nickell Robey. He was applying constant pressure entire game.

He's a bit small for a DE ala Osi, Bruce Irvin, Chris Clemons but he can sure rush the passer.

BRAVEHEART
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
For USC I'd like to put in Morgan Breslin this week as well. He didn't record a sack but had a tackle for loss on White and had an almost sack that lead to the pick six by Nickell Robey. He was applying constant pressure entire game.

He's a bit small for a DE ala Osi, Bruce Irvin, Chris Clemons but he can sure rush the passer.

I think he's a 3-4 OLB all the way at the next level. He definitely has the first step, COD, and quickness to excel at the position. That's what UCLA wanted him as anyway. Glad we snatched him from them.

Imagine Breslin and Barr coming off the edges. :freakout:

SniperDosPuntoCero
10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
we make so many mental mistakes at LB and S that it's not funny. Poor tackling in our back 7 has hurt us. Defensive line and cornerback are top of the line though.

Etienne Sabino just isn't good, Storm Klein is the worst middle linebacker we've had in years, Ryan Shazier is good but very very young and still learning. We are used to having Brian Rolle, Ross Homan, James Laurinaitis, AJ Hawk, Anthony Schlegel, Bobby Carpenter, Matt Wilhelm, etc. at linebacker. All of our talent at LB currently on the roster are either freshmen or sophomores.

You know who you could use right meow?

The stud muffin who "wasn't good enough for Ohio State." Jake Ryan's OK, I guess.

wicket
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Week 5:

*Troy Niklas SOPH TE Notre Dame: Possibly the best blocking tight end I have seen. Might have just been a weak Miami front seven, but Niklas completely took out defensive players and literally pushed them down field opening up huge holes. He is a must watch and is a monster prospect, looks like a professional weight lifter, just a great looking prospect and a rare talent.

he is a great blocker when in position but playing defense last year he still has a lot of strides to make to not miss assignments. When he makes his block there is hardly anyone better but there are still mental errors

Ozzy
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Week 6:
*Travis Wilson FR QB Utah: What a freak at quarterback, huge kid, nice size, big, strong, has a good arm and can run when needed. Could be a huge prospect down the road and is one to keep tabs on. If he gathers things together mentally, he could be great because he has close to it all physically one is looking for.

*Eddie Johnson FR OLB Miami FL: Good looking linebacker, fast, makes plays, can rush the passer and make plays down field. One of the few bright spots on a weak Cane defense this season, should be a good prospect down the road.

*Tony Jefferson JR S Oklahoma: Forget about the kid easily, but he could arguably one of the best safeties in the nation when he puts his mind to it. Great tackler, made some big turnovers against Texas. If he keeps this play up he could fine his way into the 1st round, he has that kind of ability at the position.

*Corey Robinson SOPH OT South Carolina: Huge kid, 6-8, just noticed him this week for South Carolina, mountain of a man, has some youth as well. Played good against a great front four on LSU. At his size he could be a big timer very quick.

*Quinton Patton SR WR La Tech: The defense was a joke, big his game was insane, what production. Great run after the catch athlete, strong kid, good hands and makes a difference. Could be a nice prospect in the upcoming draft without question.

*Alex Carter FR CB Stanford: Nice looking corner prospect, big time hitter, very good tackler and is one to watch develop. Is stout at the point of attack and a big physical kid.

*Vadal Alexander FR OT LSU: Big kid, moves well and played good against a great SC front four. Nice on his feet and he should develop into a good one I think.

*Eric Fisher SR OT Central Michigan: Very promising player, I have to watch him more because he showed good potential at tackle, good physical blocker and have to see more of him, he could rise near the top of the class quick potentially.

*DeVante Parker SOPH WR Louisville: Had a great game, made some amazingly difficult catches. Showed nice open field speed as well and has good size overall. Could be a very promising player real quick.

*Trai Turner FR OG LSU: Another freshman stud on that line for LSU, good guard, moves well and is a powerful blocker for a freshman. Will be fun to watch him develop.

*Eugene Neboh SR CB Texas Tech: I have to watch more of him, seems like a good quick corner, fights hard and moves well on the field, was part of a great overall defensive performance for the Red Raiders.

*Eric Ebron SOPH TE UNC: Big kid, nice athlete and is having a solid year. A very talented player and could move up to the top with more production. As a pass catcher he is very good and if he shows some blocking ability watch out.

*Titus Davis SOPH WR Central Michigan: Like his quickness and aggressive play. Gets good separation and shows good athletic ability. Will see how he plays the rest of the season.

*Xavier Sua-Filo SOPH RS OG UCLA: Had a hard time before, but going up against Star, at times was able to one on one handle him and hold his ground. Still think he needs to work on his upper body strength but with that solid base he could be a good one. And will be interesting to see if he stays at guard or tackle in the future.

wicket
he is a great blocker when in position but playing defense last year he still has a lot of strides to make to not miss assignments. When he makes his block there is hardly anyone better but there are still mental errorsVery very true, in the game this weekend he was awful in pass protection at times, but key word good run blocker, clearly has a lot to work on to be a complete all around blocker. Still the potential is there. But yes at times he is lost but then again he is not an offensive tackle, he is a tight end and few tight ends can handle elite pass rushers one on one without help. Few can do it in the NFL much less college.

rawdawg
10-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Week 6:

*Tony Jefferson JR S Oklahoma: Forget about the kid easily, but he could arguably one of the best safeties in the nation when he puts his mind to it. Great tackler, made some big turnovers against Texas. If he keeps this play up he could fine his way into the 1st round, he has that kind of ability at the position.

*Eric Fisher SR OT Central Michigan: Very promising player, I have to watch him more because he showed good potential at tackle, good physical blocker and have to see more of him, he could rise near the top of the class quick potentially.

Both true items, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. The S position could be very strong, with maybe the top guy being a personal preference. And with McDonald's bloodlines, Lester's leadership, Reid's big game performances, Vaccaro's size and speed combo, and I love Rambo and Elam personally.....but Jefferson gets lost in the mix. But he might have the best and most consistent tape of the group. He's the best tackler of this group, maybe the most natural instincts, can run, and can cover. And he's produced. He bettered his really good freshman numbers in his 2nd year, and is on pace to increase across the board as a JR.

As for Fisher, the OT position is asking for a top guy to step up. It might just be him at this point. This was really the first I watched him closely and he was pretty strong. Very physical and violent. Looked like a good enough athlete for the left side in the NFL also. The MAC has put out some decent OL in recent years, so competition shouldn't hurt him too much. He's working his way into the top 25, maybe better.

Ozzy
10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
rawdawg

Both true items, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. The S position could be very strong, with maybe the top guy being a personal preference. And with McDonald's bloodlines, Lester's leadership, Reid's big game performances, Vaccaro's size and speed combo, and I love Rambo and Elam personally.....but Jefferson gets lost in the mix. But he might have the best and most consistent tape of the group. He's the best tackler of this group, maybe the most natural instincts, can run, and can cover. And he's produced. He bettered his really good freshman numbers in his 2nd year, and is on pace to increase across the board as a JR.

As for Fisher, the OT position is asking for a top guy to step up. It might just be him at this point. This was really the first I watched him closely and he was pretty strong. Very physical and violent. Looked like a good enough athlete for the left side in the NFL also. The MAC has put out some decent OL in recent years, so competition shouldn't hurt him too much. He's working his way into the top 25, maybe better.
Vaccaro is very overrated I feel, he is not always productive and does not always show up, was certainly a non factor against Oklahoma in that massacre. And Rambo is having an awful start to the year, much less the off the field trouble he has had. Will be interesting to see where Jefferson goes if he comes out. I thought he was like top 10 talent as a freshman player, was a little disappointed he moved to safety but probably for the best considering his tackling, but would have loved to have him on the corner as well. Some what down sophomore year I thought playing odd position safety and linebacker at times, but good to see he is playing well now.

As for the OT's, yeah it is waiting for a top guy, kind of reminds me when Solder came out and he was one of the few that slightly separated himself late and got drafted high.

Then again Fluker is a redshirt junior, and will most likely come out I think. He is a massive man, good athlete and could be a great power tackle, if Cordy Glenn can play tackle in the NFL Fluker can too, but could also be a beast guard. He could easily be the top guy, and Seantrel Henderson is playing very good, if he comes out things could get interesting because it would be damn hard to pass him up, had short comings early in his career but is not seemed to be headed on the right developmental path.

scottyboy
10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/674/794/hi-res-6655742_display_image.jpg?1350271627

Khaseem Greene ladies and gents: 14 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 1.5 sacks and 1 INT. Force and a half to be reckoned with and he's just going to keep getting better. Going to be a force at OLB

Hurricanes25
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/674/794/hi-res-6655742_display_image.jpg?1350271627

Khaseem Greene ladies and gents: 14 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 1.5 sacks and 1 INT. Force and a half to be reckoned with and he's just going to keep getting better. Going to be a force at OLB

Greene absolutely dominated 'Cuse last week. One of the most dominant performances I've ever seen from a linebacker. It was ridiculous.

keylime_5
10-17-2012, 04:31 PM
You know who you could use right meow?

The stud muffin who "wasn't good enough for Ohio State." Jake Ryan's OK, I guess.

there are a lot of talented ohio linebackers who don't get offered by the instate school every year. luke kuechly was too small to play linebacker and too slow to play safety to get offered by the good big ten teams when he came out of cincinnati as a high schooler.

We just need the elite linebackers we've signed in the past to start playing like all-americans. Etienne Sabino, Dorian Bell, and Curtis Grant were all 5 star linebackers and so far are: total disappointment, off the team, and super bust so far respectively.

SniperDosPuntoCero
10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
there are a lot of talented ohio linebackers who don't get offered by the instate school every year. luke kuechly was too small to play linebacker and too slow to play safety to get offered by the good big ten teams when he came out of cincinnati as a high schooler.

We just need the elite linebackers we've signed in the past to start playing like all-americans. Etienne Sabino, Dorian Bell, and Curtis Grant were all 5 star linebackers and so far are: total disappointment, off the team, and super bust so far respectively.

What happened to his teammate that they took instead of him?

Ozzy
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Week 8:
*Antonio Johnson SOPH OT North Texas: Very talented player, physically passes the test, good athlete, thick, strong blocker, with time he could be a great tackle prospect.

*Malcolm Mitchell SOPH WR Georgia: Best game I have seen him play, if he played like that every week could argue him being #2 in that sophomore receiver class and that is saying something.

*Quinton Dial SR DE Alabama: One forgets about him, he has always been around it seems but kid had a great game against Miss State. Pushed blockers into the backfield, has great size and is an ideal 3/4 DE along with three of his other teammates. He played one good ball game crushing the pocket.

*Dolapo Macarthy FR WR Purdue: Very talented freshman receiver, big kid, has decent speed and can go get the football in the air, look for big things out of him in the next few years, one of the most talented receivers they have had in awhile.

*Ralph Abernathy SOPH WR Cincinnati: Big play waiting to happen, can play running back and receiver, makes people miss and is a return man as well. Real big time threat and a huge reason for Cincinnati's success.

*Munchie Legaux JR QB Cincinnati: Impressed with him, has a decent arm, very good size and is a good athlete. With some more time he could become a decent quarterback project potentially.

*Herman Lathers SR LB Tennessee: Best game I have seen him play, was all over the field making plays. Always been a thick backer that could run well, if he keeps being productive he could be a late 4-6 round pick possible as a ILB in a 4/3 or most likely in a 3/4

*Antoinne Jimmerson FR RB North Texas: Like his talent, low to the ground, very fast and has some size despite his height. Good talent and should have a great career for North Texas.

*Antonio Richardson SOPH OT Tennessee: Getting hype now because of what he did to Clowney at times, but also got beat late. Still a very impressive game for him, good talent along with many other young
Vol lineman.

*Shawn Williams SR SS Georgia: Really did not like the kid, one of the few big games I have seen out of him was this week. Really broke down the offensive player and made a great tackle in the open field. Also showed great passion and leadership with what he said about his teammates that really turned that defense around it seemed, playing easily their best game of the season.

*Aaron Colvin JR CB Oklahoma: Someone brought him up a few weeks back, Jefferson is still light years ahead of him as an overall DB. But Colvin has nice ability, long arms, has good feel in coverage. But did get beat a lot in that game, was right there to make the play but did not, however still a talented player on a defense with little talent in the front seven.

*Justin Brown JR WR Oklahoma: Think of him on Penn State, wow what an improvement, never saw that type of talent on Penn State but kid is playing great now. Big threat down field and what really surprises is the fact he is such a dangerous return man at this size.

Following up........
*Damian Swann SOPH CB Georgia: Already brought him up before but wow, kid is a baller, playmaker all over the field and his ballhawking skills and reaction is really something special, could develop into a fine talent.

*DeVante Parker SOPH WR Louisville: Another player mentioned but had a sick game, so smooth and runs so effortlessly. Not a freak athlete but clearly has speed and wonderful hands in the open field.

*Zach Boren ILB/FB Ohio State: What a performance, former FB moved to linebacker and playing better than the ones before him. Really impressive regardless of where he ends up, still think he could go back to full back but shows great ability to do what is right for the team.

*Ryan Shazier SOPH OLB Ohio State: Played a great game, best so far. Really got into the backfield and made impactful plays consistently. What a talent for them and with his speed watchout.

*Reid Fragel SR OT Ohio State: Mentioned but wow, kid just moves guys out of the way as an offensive lineman in run blocking and that is impressive. Looking more and more like a 1st round pick in my book. Really stands out as an aggressive and powerful blocker.

kiefer12
10-29-2012, 10:22 PM
came in here to show JD Woods some love but that's been done for me.

Ozzy
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Week 9:
*Jake Ryan SOPH OLB Michigan: What a player, gives great effort, consistent pressure off the edge, can manage in coverage and obviously rush the passer. One heck of a player, if he gets a little strong he could be an animal, one heck of a pass rushing linebacker.

*Zach Mettenberger JR QB LSU: Wow, kid was almost a non prospect before this game, all hype and no performance. But against the best defense in the country, he made them look silly. Was almost unstoppable passing the football, could throw on the run and in the pocket. What a game by him even in a losing performance, if he keeps this up LSU is a completely different team and he will quickly become one of if not the best junior quarterback in the nation if he builds off that great game.

*Ifo Ekpre-Olomu SOPH CB Oregon: Loved his toughness and aggression, really on the ball, active and really did fight for the football. Very interesting corner prospect and could work his way into being the best in his class.

*Kenjon Barner SR RB Oregon: Lots of people have talked about him, and hard to ignore it despite the system/gimmick offense. What a game, did whatever he wanted too, very quick, to the point. Reminds me a lot of Jahvid Best, might not be as fast but has great change of direction ability without losing much speed.

*Devan Gardner JR QB Michigan: Played a great game, with little time at quarterback, came in an made plays with his feet and his arm. Had outstanding on the point throws deep down field. Really had a stellar game and is one to watch out for as a senior when it will be his team and he should be the full time starting quarterback. Will be able to see what he can do, he could be a great prospect potentially.

*Taiwan Jones SOPH ILB Michigan State: I like his size, good wide body and nice athlete. Part of a very strong group of Michigan State linebackers, too bad they are having a down year as a team but watch out for them next year.

*Jeremy Hill FR RB LSU: Once again, freshman running back playing great, taking the place of some very talented players and he is becoming the feature back in the offense. Can make plays and runs hard, very nice season he is putting together.

*Quinton Washington JR DT Michigan: Nice prospect on the defensive line, might be there most active and dangerous defensive lineman. Good athlete, gets penetration and gives good effort.

*Jarvis Landry SOPH WR LSU: Played one of his best games, was very aggressive, tough down field and hard to tackle. He will really improve production if he can get the quarterback play that they had against Alabama.

SolidGold
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Week 9:

*Zach Mettenberger JR QB LSU: Wow, kid was almost a non prospect before this game, all hype and no performance. But against the best defense in the country, he made them look silly. Was almost unstoppable passing the football, could throw on the run and in the pocket. What a game by him even in a losing performance, if he keeps this up LSU is a completely different team and he will quickly become one of if not the best junior quarterback in the nation if he builds off that great game.

If he can build on this game through the rest of the season he should be pretty highly regarded going into next year. It's just been bizarre he has not been able to put together more performances like this. Perhaps playing like he did against the best defense in the country will give him confidence moving forward.

rawdawg
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't know about non-prospect. Mettenberger was probably going to be drafted even if he never had a game like this weekend. He's going to win a lot of game at LSU, and I figured he'd really get a shot to open the offense up next year as a senior. He's been on my list for potential #1 overall picks for the 2014 draft since this summer. More of a sleeper guy, but Saturday was a glimpse of the talent he has been rumored to have coming out of HS. Hopefully he keeps this going, because he definitely looks the part physically.

Ozzy
11-05-2012, 09:16 PM
rawdawg I don't know about non-prospect. Mettenberger was probably going to be drafted even if he never had a game like this weekend. He's going to win a lot of game at LSU, and I figured he'd really get a shot to open the offense up next year as a senior. He's been on my list for potential #1 overall picks for the 2014 draft since this summer. More of a sleeper guy, but Saturday was a glimpse of the talent he has been rumored to have coming out of HS. Hopefully he keeps this going, because he definitely looks the part physically.True, but for whatever reason nothing in terms of performance in any of the previous games was I impressed with. He was a liability and played to not lose, Saturday he played to win, they didn't win but played like a winner against the best competition possible. But must give some credit to the offensive line of LSU, they played great and allowed little pressure on Mettenberger, Hubbard was not nearly as strong as he was in some of the past games he has played.

Never got much into the hype of him before his time on LSU, really have never seen him play till this year. In some ways I wanted the kid to fail just so young Rivers got a chance sooner rather than later. But looks like he will have to wait till Mettenberger is gone before that happens. And yes could easily have him the #1 quarterback next year as a senior potentially.

DiG
11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
This thread needs more Stefon Diggs!

2:06 mark and 2:24

PiJv60BRU2k

Babylon
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know about non-prospect. Mettenberger was probably going to be drafted even if he never had a game like this weekend. He's going to win a lot of game at LSU, and I figured he'd really get a shot to open the offense up next year as a senior. He's been on my list for potential #1 overall picks for the 2014 draft since this summer. More of a sleeper guy, but Saturday was a glimpse of the talent he has been rumored to have coming out of HS. Hopefully he keeps this going, because he definitely looks the part physically.

I'm going to assume that's a long list.

rawdawg
11-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm going to assume that's a long list.

Actually, not really. It's going to be a QB. And there aren't that many with #1 QB talent, measurables and results.

87Canes
11-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Duke Johnson - Freshman of the year...no doubt

scottyboy
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Khaseem had 22 tackles last night. So yeah, I'm just gonna keep pimping him all year long

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Khaseem had 22 tackles last night. So yeah, I'm just gonna keep pimping him all year long

You should make a personal thread for him.

underscore
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Mike Mauti went down with another knee injury on an illegal chop block today. No official word on the severity.

Da Big Harv
11-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Actually, not really. It's going to be a QB. And there aren't that many with #1 QB talent, measurables and results.

Clowney thinks otherwise

Ozzy
11-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Week 11:
*Sylvester Williams SR DT UNC: He kind of gets lost in the mix, but really the kid should be a lock 1st round pick. Kind of a late bloomer, but is playing amazing football, showing great strength, quickness and ability to penetrate the pocket.

*Stepfan Taylor SR RB Stanford: Really gets lost in the mix, but kid is thick as can be, tough, hard to bring down and has gotten stronger and better every year. If some highly rated juniors do not come out, could argue he could be at or near the top of the running back class for the 2013 draft.

*Beau Allen JR DT Wisconsin: Really have to watch more of this kid. Minnesota boy, big kid, thick, built low to the ground and gives great effort and consistent push. Like his aggression as being such a large football player.

*Eric Kendricks SOPH ILB UCLA: What a game for him, a blocked put for an ILB and an interception. Has a great blood line and is playing amazing football, easily the top inside linebacker in his class I feel.

*Quinshad Davis FR WR UNC: What a breakout game for him, had a ton of production and showed his flat out natural and smooth pass catching ability. He could be a big time prospect when he gains a little more strength and is near the top of his class at the moment.

*LaRoy Reynolds SR LB Virginia: Really like his size and thickness at linebacker. Makes plays all over the field, can rush the passer at times on a blitz and can cover ok down field. Not an elite player but I would be surprised if he was not a 3-5 round pick.

*Ryan Swope SR WR Texas A&M: A classic slot receiver, tough kid, decent speed, great hands and knows how to get open. Has been on the radar since his sophomore year and is now proving he is a legit NFL prospect and will find his way to a team come draft day.

*Johnny Manziel FR QB Texas A&M: Hard to argue with his production, but what is more important is his personality and leadership. A very intense player, emotional and leads well for such a young prospect, also does not hurt he can throw really well on the move.

*Henry Anderson SOPH DE Stanford: Another gigantic defensive lineman for Stanford, very big kid, perfect size and gains fine penetration and can easily hold his own and get after the quarterback. Should be another possible NFL defensive line prospect for Stanford, one of possibly 4 or 5 NFL prospects on that defensive front seven.

*John Simon SR OLB/DE Ohio State: What a game he had against Wisconsin, such a pass rushing prospect, hard to see where he will fit but would not be surprised if he ends up being a 3/4 OLB prospect. Might not have the length to play at the defensive end spot in a 4/3 but could do great things in a 3/4.

*Montel Harris SR RB Temple: Played great, was gone after BC but now came up again. Was a good player there and is a good player on Temple. Playing around less talent blocking for him he is still crazy productive and could have an outside shot at being drafted.

*Ryan Shazier SOPH OLB Ohio State: Talked about him already as well, but kid has sick ability. So productive tackling and getting to the football. Is helped by a good defensive line infront of him especially Hankins, but still Shazier can flat out play and is getting better and better as the year goes on. That play at the end of the game was simply special.

SolidGold
11-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Ozzy great write up. Have to disagree about Swope being a slow receiver with decent speed. He should be a 4.4 guy at the combine - he was a track star in HS

Babylon
11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Ozzy great write up. Have to disagree about Swope being a slow receiver with decent speed. He should be a 4.4 guy at the combine - he was a track star in HS

I'll split the differance with you two and say he's a 4.5 guy.

Thought Colt Lyerla played well against Stanford but they still don't utilize him enough. They should be running him deep to stretch the defense.

Ozzy
11-18-2012, 05:02 PM
SolidGold Ozzy great write up. Have to disagree about Swope being a slow receiver with decent speed. He should be a 4.4 guy at the combine - he was a track star in HSSorry, that was a typo, I corrected it now, I was meaning to say classic slot receiver.

Babylon

Thought Colt Lyerla played well against Stanford but they still don't utilize him enough. They should be running him deep to stretch the defense.He was ok but they did not run the ball with him at all which was a disappointment, thought he was this athletic freak.

Joseph Fauria was far more impressive and impactful for UCLA, he stood out as a tight end this weekend that played well.

keylime_5
11-18-2012, 05:26 PM
What happened to his teammate that they took instead of him?

He had to quit football b/c of injuries. Shame because he had promise and was incredible in high school.

Babylon
11-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Sorry, that was a typo, I corrected it now, I was meaning to say classic slot receiver.

He was ok but they did not run the ball with him at all which was a disappointment, thought he was this athletic freak.

Joseph Fauria was far more impressive and impactful for UCLA, he stood out as a tight end this weekend that played well.

Haven't we had this discussion before about Lyerla being a good athlete, why do you keep trying to prove otherwise.

kwilk103
11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
i would add tavon austin and stedman bailey for this week

Caulibflower
12-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Davante Adams really impressed me a couple of times while I was channel-surfing and caught a chunk of the SMU-Fresno State bowl game. Did a little digging, and saw that the guy making circus catches and wearing no. 15 was just a freshman, but had posted 102 catches for 1312 yards and 14 TDs on the year, with 11 of those catches for 144 yards coming in the SMU game. At 6'2" 200 I figured Fresno State had landed a 5-Star prospect or something, but scout.com only had him at 2.

I felt like I was watching an NFL player when I saw him, was surprised to see he was only a freshman, and even more surprised when I learned he hadn't been highly sought-after. So he gets a mention from me here. I'll be keeping my eye on him.

EDIT: Having looked at his profile, he is a redshirt freshman. So there's that.

Also - wasn't highly recruited probably because he only broke out as a senior in high school, posting 64 catches for 1094 yards and 12 TDs after only 29 for 484 and 7 as a junior. Was also a 2-star basketball recruit, a testament to his overall athleticism, and his Fresno state profile says he runs a 4.48 and has a 42" vertical. Kid looked way legit to me.

Ozzy
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Bowl season
Was not able to watch them all, but here are a few players that stood out to me minus the obvious ones.

*Austin Seferian-Jenkins SOPH TE Washington: To me pretty much put his name in place as the #1 tight end prospect in the nation next year. Such a physically impressive kid, amazing size and is getting better with every game.

*Damian Swann SOPH CB Georgia: What a star ball hawk, cannot get enough confident aggressive corners and his ball skills and big play potential is something special. Should be an absolute star next year, great looking corner.

*DeVonte Holloman SR OLB South Carolina: Played one heck of a game and in one heck of a prospect, be it at SS or at OLB, he can play. His versatility as a possible 4/3 OLB in pass coverage is something that could make him a possible 2nd or 3rd round pick I think.

*Trayion Durham SOPH RB Kent State: Beast running back, big kid, moves well and is one heck of a one two punch with Archer. Very interesting big back to watch out for next year.

*Rashaan Melvin SR CB Northern Illinois: Very nice late round prospect, big kid, tall, can run and tackles aggressively. Could be a fine pickup for any NFL team and should easily be drafted.

*Amari Cooper FR WR Alabama: In the biggest games he played about as good as you can get. Was such a threat down field for them, really opened up the offense and showed fine quickness and hands. Could make the argument he was the 2nd most impressive freshman receiver in the nation this year.

*Denard Robinson SR RB/WR Michigan: Someone possibly made himself a lot of money in that bowl game. What a weapon he was as a running back, and what a great way to use his talents. Turned a lot of heads with what he did and increased his value from just a receiver to now possibly a running back as well. Did not go out on top but will be remembered for his production on the field.

*Jonathan Stewart SR ILB Texas A&M: Very big inside linebacker prospect, could be an absolutely great fit for a 3/4 defense. Really good size, good athlete and is a decent pass rusher at times too, could be a sleeper prospect come draft time.

*Dylan Thompson SOPH QB South Carolina: What a gamer, has great confidence and throws the ball with such touch and direction. Should do great things next year for the Gamecocks.

*Jeoffrey Pagan SOPH DL Alabama: Beast inside, such a wide body, hard to move him out of there. Will be the next in a long line of fine Bama defensive lineman.

*Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix SOPH FS Alabama: Had a nice Championship game, made very good plays on the ball and reacted well. Should be the next in line at that safety position for Bama next year.

*Thomas Niles FR DE UCF: Really liked how he played, stayed low to the ground, gave good pass rush off the edge and played with fine intensity.

*Jordan Zumwalt JR LB UCLA: Love his aggressive play, really into the game, made tackles all over the field and showed very good toughness. Will be one to watch for next season.

*Breshad Perriman FR WR UCF: Good big play ability, nice speed and is one to look out for on UCF come next season.

*Jamal-Rashad Patterson SR WR Stanford: Nothing amazing about him as a receiver but as an athlete wow, what a physically impressive kid. Is simply huge, has massive legs and arms, could be a possible position change in line for him if he has some good workouts.

*Jordan Richards SOPH FS Stanford: Like his toughness and willingness to tackle like many of the Stanford defensive backs. Good player and come become a fine safety.

*Jaron Odom SR OT Louisiana Lafayette: Nothing amazing but he is a big kid, plays well on his feet and should see his name called come draft day.

*Martel Moore SR WR Northern Illinois: One of the few playmakers on their offense, is a long shot at being drafted but has potential and decent ability as a pass catcher.

A ton of good players came about this season, will be fun to watch how they all perform next year with increased expectations.

norcalgsr
01-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Davante Adams really impressed me a couple of times while I was channel-surfing and caught a chunk of the SMU-Fresno State bowl game. Did a little digging, and saw that the guy making circus catches and wearing no. 15 was just a freshman, but had posted 102 catches for 1312 yards and 14 TDs on the year, with 11 of those catches for 144 yards coming in the SMU game. At 6'2" 200 I figured Fresno State had landed a 5-Star prospect or something, but scout.com only had him at 2.

I felt like I was watching an NFL player when I saw him, was surprised to see he was only a freshman, and even more surprised when I learned he hadn't been highly sought-after. So he gets a mention from me here. I'll be keeping my eye on him.

EDIT: Having looked at his profile, he is a redshirt freshman. So there's that.

Also - wasn't highly recruited probably because he only broke out as a senior in high school, posting 64 catches for 1094 yards and 12 TDs after only 29 for 484 and 7 as a junior. Was also a 2-star basketball recruit, a testament to his overall athleticism, and his Fresno state profile says he runs a 4.48 and has a 42" vertical. Kid looked way legit to me.

Adams reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson.