PDA

View Full Version : Jon McGraw signs in KC

Xiomera
03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/03/29/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_ufa_s_jon_mcgraw/

Did anyone know this? I didn't even know he was a Free Agent . . .

We have Kennedy and Bullocks and who else at Safety? I can't think of anyone . . .

I think Safety becomes a much bigger need now. I know it sounds crazy that safety becomes a need after losing Jon McGraw of all people, but we have no depth to speak of, and Kennedy isn't exactly great.

Thoughts? Let's grab Landry, lol

detroit4life
03-31-2007, 03:38 PM
no lets get merriweather in the second or grap gattis in the 4th in he's there just for depth reasons but if we dont take a guy like landry nelson griffin or merriweather i have to think thats what they'll be looking at next year since this defense will never be as good as they should be with kennedy out there

Mythos
03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow. I'm not sure if I'm more suprised that we let him go or that somebody actually picked him up. I never thought I'd be praying for McGraw to be on the field.

JPLUFF
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
yay? Who else plays safety besides Kennedy and Bullocks now?

Scotty D
03-31-2007, 09:33 PM
yay? Who else plays safety besides Kennedy and Bullocks now?

He was our only backup that I know of. I wanted that Kaevisaharininganiner guy that signed with New Orleans.

Brodeur
03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Well I'll certain miss his lack of ball skills and missed tackles, even if for depth reasons.

Xiomera
03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
I absolutely want Merriweather for the Lions now. Safety is definatly a bigger need for Detroit than CB. I know its ridiculous to think that I have only come to this realization now that McGraw is elsewhere, but it's true. Merriweather is said to be the best coverage safety in the draft. He would be a great player to pair with Bullocks for the future.

I would love to see Detroit take Merriweather in Round 2 with the 34th pick.

Scotty D
03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I absolutely want Merriweather for the Lions now. Safety is definatly a bigger need for Detroit than CB. I know its ridiculous to think that I have only come to this realization now that McGraw is elsewhere, but it's true. Merriweather is said to be the best coverage safety in the draft. He would be a great player to pair with Bullocks for the future.

I would love to see Detroit take Merriweather in Round 2 with the 34th pick.

Hmm. I would certainly like him over a QB. I think Millen's draft is going be all about players that can contribute right away.

Xiomera
03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Hmm. I would certainly like him over a QB. I think Millen's draft is going be all about players that can contribute right away.

Merriweather could definatly contribute right away. I just hope Millen/Marinelli can overlook his off-the-field problems. He is a first round talent, no doubt.

Scotty D
03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Merriweather could definatly contribute right away. I just hope Millen/Marinelli can overlook his off-the-field problems. He is a first round talent, no doubt.

Yeah I could see him being the Nickel, and backup both safety positions.

Xiomera
03-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah I could see him being the Nickel, and backup both safety positions.

Exactly . . . people think he could play CB in the Pro's on occasion. He is the perfect DB for Detroit to take, IMO.

WMD
03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
I've wanted Meriweather for a while now.. I hope they can look past his off the field issues and bring him in.. He's got all the skills you could want in a safety.

Xiomera
03-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Bullocks + Merriweather = A stud safety tandem for the future . . . how can we pass that up?

detroit4life
03-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Bullocks + Merriweather = A stud safety tandem for the future . . . how can we pass that up?

plus we're able to get rid of kennedy who is terrible

Xiomera
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
plus we're able to get rid of kennedy who is terrible

We'd still keep him around for 2007.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Which makes sense for the big Superbowl run next season.

Addict
04-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Bears fan on a Lions board being sarcastic...

what else is new?

Scotty D
04-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Or for him trying to keep his job.

detroit4life
04-01-2007, 12:04 PM

no which makes sense for a team trying to improve right away rather than in two or three years

bearsfan_51
04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Or for him trying to keep his job.

Touche. So is 7 years the magic number of ineptitude that will finally cost him his job? It's amazing that Millen has a longer tenure than any GM or Head Coach in the NFC North. That takes job security to a whole 'nother level.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
no which makes sense for a team trying to improve right away rather than in two or three years
Why? What's the difference between 4-12 or 6-10? Why not take the players that will help the team most in the long run? I understand there is a level of frustration amongst Lions fans when talking about project players because of how they've failed in the past, but it's still a rebuilding project, with competitiveness still a few years down the road (assuming they get a young franchise QB).

P-L
04-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I know a lot of fans aren't concerned with Merriweather's off the field problems, but I have a feeling a lot of teams are. And with Marinelli recently saying he wants high character guys, I think it's going to take a lot to look past Merriweather's issues.

Addict
04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I know a lot of fans aren't concerned with Merriweather's off the field problems, but I have a feeling a lot of teams are. And with Marinelli recently saying he wants high character guys, I think it's going to take a lot to look past Merriweather's issues.

That's a good point you make.

Mythos
04-01-2007, 02:13 PM

I also can't see Millen/Marinelli taking Merriweather. This despite the fact that he'd be great value and meet a huge need.
I have a feeling that Millen is going to go completely short sighted, throw BPA out the window and make one reach after another to fill needs. It wouldn't suprise me if we traded a pick for a veteran FS.

casskid
04-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Merriweather may be to talented to pass up. Yeah the shooting sounds bad, but he was firing in self defense on a legally owned gun. Other then that the only other incident was the brawl, and Marinelli may be able overlook that as a heat of the moment type deal. Besides, the precident set by the team is that if you are talented enough nothing bad really will happen (SRogers) so heres hoping that we get him.

Mythos
04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Merriweather may be to talented to pass up. Yeah the shooting sounds bad, but he was firing in self defense on a legally owned gun. Other then that the only other incident was the brawl, and Marinelli may be able overlook that as a heat of the moment type deal. Besides, the precident set by the team is that if you are talented enough nothing bad really will happen (SRogers) so heres hoping that we get him.

I hope you're right. Millen's past has definitely been talent trumps all. I think it's Marinelli that would probably veto him.

detroit4life
04-01-2007, 03:25 PM
i have that feeling as well that they arent going to take him based off of his past but thinking about it his past isn't all that bad also reports from the senior bowl said that he showed great leadership and took control of the defense when he was out there and that is something that Marinelli would like in a player i hope they atleast interview the guy he's sucha good talent and being able to take him at 34 would be a present that i know we would all look back and think why didnt we take that guy again

woodnick
04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree completely, we'll probably end up not taking him and looking back and say that we really missed out. He'll probably end up being a really model player by staying out of trouble. He has seemed really sincere about appologizing for his actions during the brawl.

detroit4life
04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Why? What's the difference between 4-12 or 6-10? Why not take the players that will help the team most in the long run? I understand there is a level of frustration amongst Lions fans when talking about project players because of how they've failed in the past, but it's still a rebuilding project, with competitiveness still a few years down the road (assuming they get a young franchise QB).

because maybe this team is more interested in building a defense that taking another QB. A franchise QB isn't everything in this league and you of all people should know this since your a bears fan Grossman isnt a franchise QB he's a serviceable QB yet you guys were still able to get to the superbowl. You can rebuild a franchise different ways they tried going QB and it failed so wy not go the defense way and actually build up that side of the ball while our offense is still decent

woodnick
04-01-2007, 03:31 PM
IMO the most succesful teams are the ones that build the D and can consitently win the battle of the trenches.

DeMonikk1
04-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I doubt Merriweather will make it past San Diego in the 1st round. Even though the Chargers need a WR, there is so much depth there, they can't really pass on Merriweather.

Addict
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I doubt Merriweather will make it past San Diego in the 1st round. Even though the Chargers need a WR, there is so much depth there, they can't really pass on Merriweather.

If a good WR falls, and one is bound to, they'll forget all about Merriweather.

DeMonikk1
04-03-2007, 08:36 AM
If a good WR falls, and one is bound to, they'll forget all about Merriweather.

I don't think they will. Guys like Steve Smith, Jason Hill, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez, etc will be there later on. They need a safety badly. Safety position is not AS deep as the WR postion this year..

detroit4life
04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
but griffin or nelson could very well be there but i think the chargers will go WR with guys like bowe jarret rice or meachem sure to be there

DeMonikk1
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
but griffin or nelson could very well be there but i think the chargers will go WR with guys like bowe jarret rice or meachem sure to be there

Griffin and Nelson will both be gone by the time the Chargers pick..again, just because we all WANT Merriweather, doesn't mean that San Diego doesn't want him too..WR is VERY deep this year..safety isn't...don't hold your breath fo rhim..but I hope he's there and Detroit grabs him...