PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 1.0 - 9/14/12

Scott Wright
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Just posted the first mock draft of the year!

2013 Mock Draft - v.1.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

T-RICH49
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
like Tyler Wilson to KC

YotoJets007
09-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Jets in top 10.... Not cool!

Sam Montgomery likely belongs to 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB.

I think Eric Reid is better choice because there is no guarantee that Landry and Bell will stay with us for another season or beyond.

Also, I doubt Jets will ever draft OLB in the first round again as long as Tannenbaum is in charge.

fenikz
09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
did you do the draft order yourself :/

prock
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Jets in top 10.... Not cool!

Sam Montgomery likely belongs to 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB.

I think Eric Reid is better choice because there is no guarantee that Landry and Bell will stay with us for another season or beyond.

Also, I doubt Jets will ever draft OLB in the first round again as long as Tannenbaum is in charge.

Quinton Coples.

But I dig Teo for the Vikings but it seems like kind of a reach. I might prefer Short there. Either way I dig it.

Cigaro
09-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I have a hard time seeing Amerson going top five. To go that high as a corner you really need to possess elite athleticism, and Amerson doesn't at all. His lack of top end athleticism got exposed by Tennessee, and I don't think that game should be tossed off as an anomaly. I still could easily see Amerson in the first round, but no where near the top five or top ten. Also, if the Jaguars are picking that high again, I have a hard time thinking they would be sticking with Gabbert, certainly can't see them going after a very questionable corner/safety prospect over an upgrade under center.

Similar to the Jaguars, if the Jets are drafting in the top ten, with only Barkley gone I feel they would have to seriously look into a quarterback, although Montgomery would make sense if for whatever reason they choose not to.

I'd be happy with John Hankins to the Panthers. Fills a big need, probably the best player given our needs available other than perhaps Justin Hunter.

On that subject, surprised you have Hunter falling that far, and surprised you have who you have selecting him. Would the Saints really go for another receiver over an offensive tackle or defensive player?

sbh15
09-14-2012, 05:47 PM
good to see you aren't buying the hype on UF's defensive line right now... I've seen a lot of people call Easley and Floyd first round picks, but I've yet to see anything indicating that myself

Scott Wright
09-14-2012, 05:58 PM
did you do the draft order yourself :/

I based the order off a set of power rankings, I believe ESPN.

I made a couple of very minor tweaks. The only big one was moving the Cardinals up a ways.

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Scott!!! Can we get a QB plz? Like...Wilson? Don't listen to Vidae, give them Jarvis Jones instead.

Posted it in the wrong thread :P

tjsunstein
09-14-2012, 06:26 PM
I dont see GB using a 1st on a RB but I love the thought if Bell. Just need to pick 32.

Dallas357
09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
am i the only one that realizes the Jaguars won't be drafting a qb. What part of this regular season, pre-season or off-season has has not shown that he's greatly improved? Was it the touchdown drive last week with 20 seconds left?

Seriously, post in this thread so i can laugh at you later.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53643

drowe
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Great to have a mock to read...

as a loooooooooooong time reader of the site, i do have an observation;

it seems like you're getting away from yourself and being timid. in your barkley write-up, ya spent most of it talking about his weaknesses, then had him going #1. with robert woods, you talked about him being a late first rounder, then projected him top 5.

the mock was very insightful and well done, but it seems like you're content with following the status quo rankings, whereas in years past, you led the charge on projecting these guys to go way earlier or later than the other experts did.

if ya think barkley is gonna get leapfrogged, and if ya think woods is gonna fall...then don't be afraid to put your money where your mouth is. it's what has made this site great for a decade.

redbills
09-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Scott what are ur thoughts on Tyler Bray?

bored of education
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I love it Scott. Bray would be another guy I;d look at but Bray does not have the polish that Wilson has, yet.

CashmoneyDrew
09-14-2012, 09:16 PM
One small typo you made was that you misspelled Robert Meachem's name in the description for the Saints pick of Justin Hunter. (Man, if they take Hunter they must love taking UT wide receivers in the 1st, wouldn't they?)

Also, good pick for the Titans. I could see them going in a lot of directions with their 1st rounder next year. HB, OG, OC, DE, DT, S, maybe even a CB depending on skill set.

holt_bruce81
09-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I like it, not sexy picks but definetly two huge needs for the Rams. I'm convinced the Rams just will never give Bradford that monster clear #1 wide out.

Who does Reid compare to?

vidae
09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Fantastic pick for KC Scott. A+++++. Tyler Wilson is my second favorite QB in this "class" and I would kill for him in KC.

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Fantastic pick for KC Scott. A+++++. Tyler Wilson is my second favorite QB in this "class" and I would kill for him in KC.

You will get Jarvis Jones while we get Wilson and you will like it!!

vidae
09-14-2012, 10:25 PM
You will get Jarvis Jones while we get Wilson and you will like it!!

Oh Hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyll no you did not just do that. Oh hayll no.

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Oh Hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyll no you did not just do that. Oh hayll no.

I just imagined
mPk_P11GlW8

and started choking on my tamale.

Caddy
09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I think DT is a solid choice for the Bucs. Roy Miller is good, but all he does is clog the middle. I'd love a new DT or an extra DE which you really can't have too many of. Especially when your current backups are (Bowers/IR, Teo'Nesheim and George Johnson)

Scott Wright
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Great to have a mock to read...

as a loooooooooooong time reader of the site, i do have an observation;

it seems like you're getting away from yourself and being timid. in your barkley write-up, ya spent most of it talking about his weaknesses, then had him going #1. with robert woods, you talked about him being a late first rounder, then projected him top 5.

the mock was very insightful and well done, but it seems like you're content with following the status quo rankings, whereas in years past, you led the charge on projecting these guys to go way earlier or later than the other experts did.

if ya think barkley is gonna get leapfrogged, and if ya think woods is gonna fall...then don't be afraid to put your money where your mouth is. it's what has made this site great for a decade.

I actually do like Barkley. Certainly not at the Luck / RG3 level but should be a very good starting quarterback at the next level. Also, keep in mind that the mock is for what I think will happen while my rankings are how I stack the players on my board. Rest assured that Woods won't be a Top 5 overall player once I incorporate underclassmen. In fact, I don't even think Woods is the best wideout on his own team. That is Marquise Lee.

Witten4HOF
09-15-2012, 08:30 AM
No love for the Cowboys drafting at #15 either ha, tough division so I can't dismiss the possibility. I like TJ, definitely an upgrade over Church at SS, which I think will be a better fit for his skill set.

Personally I'd like to see the team take a run on Warmack or Jones to bolster the interior line, but I'm a realist and know the scouting dept prefers to defer to later rounds for lineman.

The draft is pretty deep at positions of need S,C/G,OLB so a trade down/ out of the first round might be a consideration as well. My pet cat as a FS prospect Xavier Rhodes could be lurking in the mid 1st come draft time.

Overall very nice mock.

Scott Wright
09-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Scott what are ur thoughts on Tyler Bray?

I like Bray a lot. Still rough around the edges but looks the part and can spin it.

As far as junior quarterbacks go I am still a huge fan of Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas, but Bray could give him a run for his money.

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I like Bray a lot. Still rough around the edges but looks the part and can spin it.

As far as junior quarterbacks go I am still a huge fan of Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas, but Bray could give him a run for his money.

Scott, Logan Thomas hasn't looked very good lately. Do you still believe he will go round 1?

coordinator0
09-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Warmack would be a good value pick but I don't think G or T is going to be a need by the time the draft comes. Once Reid gets healthy I think he will move into the starting lineup at RT or LG and that would give the Ravens a lineup of Oher/Osemele/Birk/Yanda/Reid or Oher/Reid/Birk/Yanda/Osemele. Assuming he plays well once he gets on the field spending that high of a pick on a OL wouldn't make sense. If he doesn't then I would be pretty happy with Warmack.

kwilk103
09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
dont get the logan thomas hype at all, he is awful

Caulibflower
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Favorite Seahawks mock pick ever. I would be so stoked if we drafted Keenan Allen. That would be perfect. He's going to go higher than 12, though. He could go top 5 with a strong season.

georgiafan
09-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Did any other Uga players about make first round?

Cigaro
09-15-2012, 05:24 PM
On Thomas versus Bray, I would have to go Bray. I have reservations about both, but Thomas seems far less ready for the pro game than Bray. Thomas has the advantage athletically, but Bray is a better quarterback as of now. That being said, both are big quarterbacks who are going to be drafted based more on potential than actual production.

essential
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Scott, you finally gave the Bills a player I want. No, Thomas isn't ready, but Fitz is signed and Thomas can sit for a year, maybe two if really necessary while Gailey grooms him. It's a great scenario. We need to get the QB of the future on this roster in this draft.

RaiderNation
09-15-2012, 06:05 PM
QB, Pass Rusher, or CB should be our 1st round pick this year. Jarvis Jones would be an ideal fit in our scheme

Witten4HOF
09-16-2012, 06:43 AM
QB, Pass Rusher, or CB should be our 1st round pick this year. Jarvis Jones would be an ideal fit in our scheme

Jones is an ideal fit for any scheme, dude is a monster.

PossibleCabbage
09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
I honestly don't think that the Packers should even look at a running back in the first round.

Before this season: in 13 games with Aaron Rodgers starting at QB, the Packers have averaged <3.0 YPC (removing QB carries), and in those games Aaron Rodgers has tallied a cumulative passer rating of 103.6. In 11 games with Aaron Rodgers starting at QB, the Packers have averaged >5.0 YPC (again removing QB carries), and in those games Aaron Rodgers has tallied a passer rating of 100.8.

Again considering only rushing yards accrued by players other than Rodgers, when the Packers have rushed for <60 yards the Rodgers has a passer rating of 98.8. When the Packers have rushed for 60-74 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 99.3, When the Packers have rushed for 75-99 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 111.4. When the Packers have rushed for 100-124 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 113.3. When the Packers have rushed for 125+ yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 101.8. Rodgers is 14-3 when the rest of the team runs for 75-99 yards, 9-3 when they run for 100-124 yards, and 8-2 when they run for 125+ yards.

I think, just philosophically, until Rodgers shows clear decline, the Packers should spend all of their premium draft resources towards either the defense or the passing game (including offensive linemen.) Since Green Bay's wins are strongly correlated with Rodgers' performance, but generally not correlated with either volume or efficiency running the ball, taking an RB in the first round just doesn't seem smart. If there's an RB who's clearly BPA and you can't trade down, if you're the Packers then you take him, but you absolutely don't take an RB high because you think you "need" one.

Bell's a fine prospect, but in terms of "need" picks I think they'd be much better off taking a DE or DB there.

FUNBUNCHER
09-16-2012, 11:33 AM
If it isn't the 2nd coming of Bo Jackson, I don't see why the Pack would ever take a RB in the first round with Aaron Rodgers as their starting QB.

prock
09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
I honestly don't think that the Packers should even look at a running back in the first round.

Before this season: in 13 games with Aaron Rodgers starting at QB, the Packers have averaged <3.0 YPC (removing QB carries), and in those games Aaron Rodgers has tallied a cumulative passer rating of 103.6. In 11 games with Aaron Rodgers starting at QB, the Packers have averaged >5.0 YPC (again removing QB carries), and in those games Aaron Rodgers has tallied a passer rating of 100.8.

Again considering only rushing yards accrued by players other than Rodgers, when the Packers have rushed for <60 yards the Rodgers has a passer rating of 98.8. When the Packers have rushed for 60-74 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 99.3, When the Packers have rushed for 75-99 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 111.4. When the Packers have rushed for 100-124 yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 113.3. When the Packers have rushed for 125+ yards, Rodgers has a passer rating of 101.8. Rodgers is 14-3 when the rest of the team runs for 75-99 yards, 9-3 when they run for 100-124 yards, and 8-2 when they run for 125+ yards.

I think, just philosophically, until Rodgers shows clear decline, the Packers should spend all of their premium draft resources towards either the defense or the passing game (including offensive linemen.) Since Green Bay's wins are strongly correlated with Rodgers' performance, but generally not correlated with either volume or efficiency running the ball, taking an RB in the first round just doesn't seem smart. If there's an RB who's clearly BPA and you can't trade down, if you're the Packers then you take him, but you absolutely don't take an RB high because you think you "need" one.

Bell's a fine prospect, but in terms of "need" picks I think they'd be much better off taking a DE or DB there.

So just not on a running back or quarterback then?

PossibleCabbage
09-16-2012, 01:17 PM
So just not on a running back or quarterback then?

Right now, in terms of "need" for Green Bay I would put DE, S, CB, ILB, C, OT, OLB, DT, and OG as better value picks than RB for Green Bay.

If an RB is there and he's BPA, you trade the pick or you take him. But if there's an RB and a non-RB/non-QB with the same grade at the top of your board, you should probably the other guy.

In terms of where Green Bay should be picking, I kind of like William Gholston as the pick. He'd be pedestrian as a 43 end, but could be a great 5-tech. Reminds me of Wilkerson, honestly.

Leon Sandcastle
09-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Like that you've mocked a QB to the Bills Scott. Would rather have Geno, Bray or Wilson over Logan Thomas though.

Pat Sims 90
09-16-2012, 04:02 PM
The Bengals need a pass rusher way more then a RB at this point.

Bengals78
09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
The Bengals need a pass rusher way more then a RB at this point.

Yeah. I wont really be upset with Lattimore but we need a DE so bad it is painful. And if Thompson or Still dont step up soon, a NT type.

nepg
09-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Wilson is under 6'2? Chiefs won't draft him.

vidae
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Wilson is under 6'2? Chiefs won't draft him.

It's become very clear to anyone that can read that you have no idea what the Chiefs will do.

bucfan12
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't give the Bucs a DT that early. Michael Buchannon is someone that they could use. With the questionable health of Dequan Bowers and Michael Bennett being an FA, they could use some pass rush and Buchannon is, to me, a top notch prospect. I'd put him in the class of Aldon Smith. He's a freak of an athlete. He'll add more bulk at a 6'6 frame, he could do it easily.

Either that, or Jonathon Banks, CB Missippi State. Might be the most underrated CB Prospect this year.

descendency
09-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Missing out on Barrett Jones by 1 pick? FML.

Leon Sandcastle
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Is Tyler Wilson under 6'2? I really want to get to the bottom of this. He's listed at 6'3 but reports out of the Manning QB camp said he and Barkley were about the same height.

Now Barkley is listed at 6'2 but looks smaller.

Here's a picture of Tyler Wilson with Razorbacks WR Brandon Mitchell who's listed at 6'4.

http://cmsimg.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DS&Date=20120913&Category=SPORTS0401&ArtNo=120913024&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Arkansas-QB-Tyler-Wilson-misses-practice-status-uncertain-Alabama-game

I command you measurement whiz's of draftcountdown.com to get to the bottom of this. Is Wilson 6'3, 6'2 or 6'1?

Shane P. Hallam
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Is Tyler Wilson under 6'2? I really want to get to the bottom of this. He's listed at 6'3 but reports out of the Manning QB camp said he and Barkley were about the same height.

Here's a picture of Tyler Wilson with Razorbacks WR Brandon Mitchell who's listed at 6'4.

http://cmsimg.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DS&Date=20120913&Category=SPORTS0401&ArtNo=120913024&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Arkansas-QB-Tyler-Wilson-misses-practice-status-uncertain-Alabama-game

I command you measurement whiz's of draftcountdown.com to get to the bottom of this. Is Wilson 6'3, 6'2 or 6'1?

Hopefully he will come to the Senior Bowl and we can answer that question! My guess is he ends up 6'2 1/8, or a little less.

YotoJets007
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM

In body language, Mitchell looked like he was relaxed down and Wilson firmed up. That ought to about 2 inches adjustment. It is a good chance that with body straight up for height measure at the combine, Mitchell could be 6 3 and 6 2 for Wilson.

That is guesswork.

keylime_5
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't think the Cardinals are gonna pick top 5, let alone #1, haha. Aren't they 2-0 now?

Browns pick I like, seems like Mingo is a popular pick for the Browns this early. Thankfully though the Browns defensive line and pass rush is really really good this year so far. That doesn't mean they shouldn't/won't take a top DE because if they can get one then their young D-Line can be an elite, championship caliber unit if they add a 10+ sack/year guy.

I think the Browns' biggest need is at cornerback. They certainly could use a really good linebacker (Jarvis Jones on the Browns defense would be lethal, though I'm not sure he's an ideal fit with what Jauron likes to do at LB) and a good free safety as well. If they don't go with defense in round one next year, then it would only be because there is a top offensive playmaker at WR sitting there that is too good to pass up. I know they like the young group of Greg Little, Josh Gordon, and Travis Benjamin, but no true #1 elite playmaker will have emerged by next April it doesn't look like and they lack a group of pass catchers as talented as what teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Green Bay, the Giants, etc. have to throw to.

scottyboy
09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I think DT is a solid choice for the Bucs. Roy Miller is good, but all he does is clog the middle. I'd love a new DT or an extra DE which you really can't have too many of. Especially when your current backups are (Bowers/IR, Teo'Nesheim and George Johnson)

George Johnson rules, you shut your mouth.

Also, can't complain about the Giants pick. At this point, any D player that isn't a linebacker, or an O-lineman is a good pick

Babylon
09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
This draft looks weak. Granted a lot of them do this time of the year but don't see anyone at the top to get too excited about. Depth at O-line and QB but just don't see the quality.

bruschis4all
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Pats trade up for Womack. Little Bill has turned into a draft day trading up machine.

Scott Wright
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM

I actually put Jones a little higher than I and many feel he may ultimately go.

Khaled Holmes of USC is my top rated center in this class. Jones is very good and you have to love the versatility but he is not an elite prospect at the position like the Pouncey Twins. In fact, there is a chance Jones will fall to round two or perhaps even round three.

Scott Wright
09-17-2012, 04:14 PM

I confirmed through a very reliable source that Wilson measured in at a verified 6-1 3/4.

fenikz
09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
do you feel silly about putting the Cardinals #1 yet?

bored of education
09-17-2012, 06:07 PM

I woudnt, yet. After next week, maybe :)

MassNole
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
3 things.

1) David Amerson is criminally overrated. His production in 2011 can't be overlooked but also can't be seen out of context. He killed (as did N.C. State as a whole) against lesser competition but didn't show up in bigger games. Then in week 1 this year he was exposed and abused early and often by Tennessee. His numbers won't be what they were in 2011 and it isn't because teams won't test him. Small sample size, but Greg Dent abused him for a career game in 2011, and he was FSU's #6 WR. It isn't surprising the likes of Justin Hunter did the same.

2) What is it about FSU CB Xavier Rhodes that kept him out of the First Round? He has tremendous size at 6'1 to 6'2 and matched up well against Michael Floyd in the Champs Sports Bowl. He runs in the high 4.4's to low 4.5's and has been coached by an excellent DB coach in Mark Stoops. Sammy Watkins abused him in Week 3 last year, but Watkins is probably an early #1 overall in 2014.

3) How much did it hurt FSU DE Bjoern Werner to lose 20 lbs going from 275 to 255? Like Brandon Jenkins did in 2011, he has been standing up in pass rushing downs and currently has 6.5 sacks.

D-Unit
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Love the pick of TJ McDonald to the Cowboys. Rob Ryan thanks you.

MassNole
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Love the pick of TJ McDonald to the Cowboys. Rob Ryan thanks you.

Mark Barron and T.J. McDonald would be one helluva Safety combo.

bored of education
09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
MassNoles likes the Florida St. Seminoles.

keylime_5
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I woudnt, yet. After next week, maybe :)

2-0 start = not picking #1 overall next year. Pretty much a lock at this point. They'd have to go 1-13 probably to get it....and they have yet to play the Rams, Bills, Vikings.

If I had to handicap the top pick, I'd put the Jags and Raiders near the top. Browns too since their schedule is really hard and they seem to find ways to lose close games every week.

MassNole
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
MassNoles likes the Florida St. Seminoles.

To be fair, in most other mock drafts Xavier Rhodes has been in the first round. I've seen Werner as high as #8, but I realize the weight drop hurts him.

descendency
09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
1) David Amerson is criminally overrated. His production in 2011 can't be overlooked but also can't be seen out of context. He killed (as did N.C. State as a whole) against lesser competition but didn't show up in bigger games. Then in week 1 this year he was exposed and abused early and often by Tennessee. His numbers won't be what they were in 2011 and it isn't because teams won't test him. Small sample size, but Greg Dent abused him for a career game in 2011, and he was FSU's #6 WR. It isn't surprising the likes of Justin Hunter did the same.

Amerson was expecting safety help on both TDs that went by him. Did he have a good game? No, but I think people are over-exaggerating how bad he played.

The kid is clearly a ball hawking safety or a field side corner. He's not a matchup or boundary corner.

Leon Sandcastle
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I confirmed through a very reliable source that Wilson measured in at a verified 6-1 3/4.

EEK! I'm OCD about QB's who aren't at least 6'2.

ph90702
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Your analysis of Marcus Lattimore is ridiculous. Before his injury, he was a top 5 talent and arguably a better prospect than Trent Richardson. His ability to start and stop at 230 lbs. combined with his burst was pretty special. Also, he's faster than 4.6.

MassNole
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Your analysis of Marcus Lattimore is ridiculous. Before his injury, he was a top 5 talent and arguably a better prospect than Trent Richardson. His ability to start and stop at 230 lbs. combined with his burst was pretty special. Also, he's faster than 4.6.

He hasn't looked nearly as fast this season after his knee injury. At the Combine I'd be surprised if he was sub 4.55 (which is still good for his size). But NFL teams can't overlook his injury history.

Grizzlegom
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I like the Dolphins pick and explanation. I don't think we have the worst WR corps by a wide margin but its definitely in the discussion. That being said, I think Woods is a perfect fit for Philbin/Sherman's offensive schemes and would prefer him over the others in this class for what Miami runs.

ph90702
09-18-2012, 10:06 PM
He hasn't looked nearly as fast this season after his knee injury. At the Combine I'd be surprised if he was sub 4.55 (which is still good for his size). But NFL teams can't overlook his injury history.

He's still a first round talent.

Ozzy
09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
No Xavier Rhodes is a surprise for sure.

And I thought not having Bjoern Werner in the 1st round was a sin?

As for this Taylor Lewan stuff? Could you explain how he is the #3 pick in the draft after how he played against Alabama? Kid got flat massacred against NFL size defensive players.

Is he just the default because there are not many other good tackles? I like him but that high? Really? Why because he shows he is an athletic 6-8 tackle and there is not many great ones out there? Even though I would take Xavier Sua-Filo over Lewan, and I have not even seen him play yet since he got back from his two year mission.

Lewan that high, to me is crazy, little about him says Matt Kalil, Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady etc....actually nothing about him says he is up to the same level of talent as those highly drafted tackles. Give me those star guards in the draft potentially over this guy.

Shane P. Hallam
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
No Xavier Rhodes is a surprise for sure.

And I thought not having Bjoern Werner in the 1st round was a sin?

As for this Taylor Lewan stuff? Could you explain how he is the #3 pick in the draft after how he played against Alabama? Kid got flat massacred against NFL size defensive players.

Is he just the default because there are not many other good tackles? I like him but that high? Really? Why because he shows he is an athletic 6-8 tackle and there is not many great ones out there? Even though I would take Xavier Sua-Filo over Lewan, and I have not even seen him play yet since he got back from his two year mission.

Lewan that high, to me is crazy, little about him says Matt Kalil, Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady etc....actually nothing about him says he is up to the same level of talent as those highly drafted tackles. Give me those star guards in the draft potentially over this guy.

We discussed Lewan a bit on the last two podcasts, why Scott has him that high, and how it could change going forward.

Matthew Jones
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
New England should look at the wide receivers available; another deep threat would really upgrade the offense. Ryan Wendell has played well at center, and the Patriots have some depth at right guard with Dan Connolly, Marcus Cannon, and Donald Thomas.

TACKLE
09-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I said last year that Warmack was the best offensive lineman in college football and my opinion obviously hasn't changed this year. Probably my favorite 2013 prospect so yeah, I like the pick. However, it appears as if the long term future of our O-Line is much more secure and it's much deeper unit as a whole - outside of the center. I talked about this with ATLDirtyBirds, but with Warmack probably only measuring in at 6'2, I wonder if teams might look at him as a center...Especially if you're a team in division with a couple big 34 NT's or possibly in a physical division with some really big interior D-Lineman - like the AFC North perhaps.

descendency
09-18-2012, 11:59 PM

Judging on previous results, he won't be ready to really play like he used to until he's in the NFL, sadly.

Most people take 2-3 years to fully recover from an ACL tear.

keylime_5
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM

I agree with this, however....

This is the truth as well. He looked pretty slow on his big run against UAB. Not nearly as fast or explosive as he was pre-ACL injury. The only thing that would've kept him from being a top 10 lock pick before he busted his knee was the fact that he had sooo many freakin' carries up to that point being such a workhorse, and NFL people know that a ton of carries for a power back in college usually translates to a shorter pro career.

Ozzy
09-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Shane P. Hallam We discussed Lewan a bit on the last two podcasts, why Scott has him that high, and how it could change going forward.

Sorry I guess I never really listen to your guys podcast ever.

And really might have been a little hard on Lewan, he did play ok against Alabama just dumb penalties really I guess. Seantrel Henderson should be better than him and could be with his head out of his butt but doubt that will happen. And guys like Cameron Fleming and Morgan Moses should outplay Lewan and have more potential I feel. But Lewan gives better effort than they do on the field.

thebow305
09-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Really starting to warm to Keenan Allen as the top WR in this draft. Scott, do you see him as the most complete WR in this draft, capable of being a legit #1 at the next level? What about Hunter? I could see both leapfrogging Woods by the time the draft rolls around.

SF Dolphin Fan
09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the outstanding analysis. As a Dolphins fan, I actually like Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter more than Robert Woods. That said, I'd be really surprised if Miami didn't get a pass rusher in the first and then trade back into the 1st round for a wide receiver. You are right, though, this is a glaring weakness for the team and Ryan Tannehill needs some talent there to help him grow. Just feel like the team will place a higher value on pass rushers -- and this draft seems like the right time to make sure you get one.

fenikz
09-23-2012, 06:21 PM

I'm just saying :popcorn:

PossibleCabbage
09-23-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm just saying :popcorn:

Draft order could use some work. The Saints probably aren't winning the NFC South this year, either.

RaiderNation
09-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm starting to think we won't see a QB drafted #1 overall this year...

nepg
09-24-2012, 12:31 AM
It's become very clear to anyone that can read that you have no idea what the Chiefs will do.
Yes. Because they didn't do anything I said they would this past off-season. Including signing Quinn, Hillis, a legit TE, and Daboll. It doesn't take more than 2 minutes to see he's never invested anything in QBs that aren't 6'3 220 or bigger (with Doug Flutie being the exception).

Leon Sandcastle
09-24-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm starting to think we won't see a QB drafted #1 overall this year...

Don't see it either unless someone really really likes Geno Smith. Could be a 2008 year where an LT and DL go #1 and #2. Taylor Lewan following in the footsteps of Jake Long and Star Latalawhatshisface playing the part of Chris Long.

RaiderNation
09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Don't see it either unless someone really really likes Geno Smith. Could be a 2008 year where an LT and DL go #1 and #2. Taylor Lewan following in the footsteps of Jake Long and Star Latalawhatshisface playing the part of Chris Long.

I don't see any olinemen worth a top 10 pick as of now, I'd throw in names like Jarvis Jones and Star Lotulelei as possible defensive players that can go #1 with how their play has been.

jayceheathman
09-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't mind Wagner on the Texans at all but I really hope we can pull Justin Hunter.