PDA

View Full Version : Marquis Jackson, DE, Portland St.

Scott Wright
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Checked out Portland St. DE Marquis Jackson against Washington today, who is considered to be one of the better small school prospects in this class. For those who aren't familiar with him, he is actually the brother of former USC / Tennessee and current Denver Broncos DL Malik Jackson. Marquise used to play at Texas Southern and was 1st Team All-SWAC before transferring to Portland St. for his senior season.

I had high expectations going in based on his accolades and bloodlines but came away unimpressed. On the positive side Jackson is active with a terrific motor and uses his hands well. However, he is slow off the snap with little explosion, got pinballed around way too much and really didn't make a single impact play. In fact, at one point Jackson got absolutely pancaked and put on his back! I just didn't see a guy who was a great pass rusher or run stopper and I'm not convinced he has the goods physically to do much at the next level.

Now granted this was just one game and I will certainly check out one or two more later in the year. Unfortunately Jackson won't see another Division I opponent this season so he will have to wait for an all-star game for another opportunity to prove himself against top competition.

At this point I'll probably be dropping Jackson in my rankings a bit and would be hard-pressed to stamp anything more than a late round grade on the guy.

YotoJets007
09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
He should be bigger than 260 since his twin brother weighed 280 at the combine last year, No?

rawdawg
09-19-2012, 08:32 PM
He should be bigger than 260 since his twin brother weighed 280 at the combine last year, No?

They're twins not clones. Tiki Barber played at about 205lbs. Ronde's only listed at 184.