PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kwilk103
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
how come he isnt highly thought of? i know people say hes a system qb, but since the orange bowl, he has been insanely good

3 games (his 3rd one is in progress; start of 4th)

98/118 83% 1,141 yds 15 tds 0 int
15 carries 109 yds 7.2 ypc 2 tds

ATLDirtyBirds
09-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Geno can ball.

JRTPlaya21
09-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I like him a ton more then Logan Thomas. Quote me.

Cigaro
09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I absolutely love him as a college quarterback....but I am not so sure as pro prospect. I think he certainly could translate his game to the pros, but I am just not sure yet.

vidae
09-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm a big Geno Smith fan. Dude can play.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm a big Geno Smith fan. Dude can play.

Can he play, or can he ball vidae?

descendency
09-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm scared of the high school offense he plays in.

vidae
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Can he play, or can he ball vidae?

I think you were right the first time. He can BALL.

bored of education
09-15-2012, 09:48 PM
He will be a top 12 pick in the NFL Draft.

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
I think Geno Smith ends up being one of the top 3 QBs selected in 2013.
Top 10-15 pick.

The better season RGIII has for the Skins, the higher Geno Smith's draft stock rises.

Mike Shanahan is deep in his lab at Ashburn, Va and is attempting to reinvent offensive football in the pros.
He's trying to combine elements of the WCO, the spread option zone read and his ZBS run blocking scheme.
He's already stated that he believes the extended handoff in the spread option is better than the normal play action in the pros because the QB has the benefit of seeing and reading the defense and can option to keep the ball or give it to the RB while on the move.

If the SKins new hybrid offense produces a 9+ win season this year, it's going to be copied. ANd if there's one QB in this draft whose game most resembles RGIII's, it's Geno Smith.

SolidGold
09-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I think Geno Smith ends up being one of the top 3 QBs selected in 2013.
Top 10-15 pick.

The better season RGIII has for the Skins, the higher Geno Smith's draft stock rises.

Mike Shanahan is deep in his lab at Ashburn, Va and is attempting to reinvent offensive football in the pros.
He's trying to combine elements of the WCO, the spread option zone read and his ZBS run blocking scheme.
He's already stated that he believes the extended handoff in the spread option is better than the normal play action in the pros because the QB has the benefit of seeing and reading the defense and can option to keep the ball or give it to the RB while on the move.

If the SKins new hybrid offense produces a 9+ win season this year, it's going to be copied. ANd if there's one QB in this draft whose game most resembles RGIII's, it's Geno Smith.

Pump the brakes man...it was one game for the Redskins. Teams know what they are going to do moving forward and defensive coordinators can adjust.

descendency
09-15-2012, 10:36 PM

That's like drafting Graham Harrell high because of Peyton Manning.

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Pump the brakes on what?? No one said anything about making the playoffs or winning the division.

What's significant is Shanahan is attempting to construct a hybrid pro style zone option read offense. If this new scheme is productive on the NFL level, there are certain QBs who are going to be perfect to run it.

And the league saw a fraction of the SKins playbook against the Saints.

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2012, 10:41 PM
That's like drafting Graham Harrell high because of Peyton Manning.

The separation between Geno Smith and RGIII isn't nearly as great as it is between Manning and Harrell.

I guess folks are going to have to wait until WVU's pro day to discover that Geno Smith has outstanding arm strength, unlike Harrell.

Vikes99ej
09-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Haven't been paying attention, does WVU still run that ****** spread option offense?

tjsunstein
09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Haven't been paying attention, does WVU still run that ****** spread option offense?

Well that depends when you stopped paying attention. It's not all that ****** now with Holgerson.

tjsunstein
09-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I like him a ton more then Logan Thomas. Quote me.

I said this in the preseason, when the hype was high on Thomas. Hop on the bandwagon but it's getting pretty crowded. I think more people agree with this right now more than ever.

703SKINS202
09-16-2012, 12:30 AM
People need to check out his go to man and guy from my signature. Had 13 caches today for 173 yards and 3 TD's.

San Diego Chicken
09-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Smith may be moving up simply because none of the projected first round picks at QB are playing very well. Barkley has been very unimpressive and ordinary, Wilson's team is in utter shambles, Thomas was pathetic against Pitt, and Bray is just a porous desision maker.

Smith is very accurate with great awareness and preparation. Very advanced at reading defenses. He looks comfortable in the pocket at all times but has quick enough feet to escape pressure. Not a whole lot to dislike about the guy.

kwilk103
09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Geno Smith's QB rating is 209.8, highest ever for a season is 191.8 (Russell Wilson last year). Smith 66-75 88.0% 734 yards 9.8/per 9-TD 0-INT 209.8/rating.

and to the poster who asked if he plays in the spread option, no

wvu runs the air raid, made famous by hal mumme and mike leach

bored of education
09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Bailey is no joke but Geno is legit. He will be a top 12 pick regardless of how Barkley and Wilson fair.

asdf1223
09-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Weeden was a first round pick in the exact same offense. I dont think it matters anymore.

Babylon
09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Have to temper the enthusiasm a little seeing as they've played two cupcakes so far.

Leon Sandcastle
09-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Geno Smith v Tyler Bray for 1st QB taken this year.

Leon Sandcastle
09-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Have to temper the enthusiasm a little seeing as they've played two cupcakes so far.

True but he more than held his own v LSU's dominating defense last year.

Babylon
09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Geno Smith v Tyler Bray for 1st QB taken this year.

I still think it will be Barkely. Have to call this years crop deep but not having a lot of quality.

Leon Sandcastle
09-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I still think it will be Barkely. Have to call this years crop deep but not having a lot of quality.

I like Barkley but I can't see a 6'1 QB who doesn't have a rocket for an arm be the first QB taken.

Not to mention they scouts will destroy him for the talent he has around him and the weak Pac-10 schedule. They also got 4 years of tape to nitpick from. Just can't see it.

bucfan12
09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah. I just don't see Barkely as this Elite QB proespect. He's a very solid QB, but he would not have been taken over RG III in 2012 draft.

I like Geno Smith. He's an interesting talent, but I just don't like the offense he comes from. very suspect in scouting talent.

rawdawg
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I was sold on Geno vs. LSU last year. There were several times I thought he was going to really start going downhill, but he was able to move the ball the entire game.

I don't like the crazy offense, but I think it does force the QB to really go thru his progressions, read his keys and have strong timing with his WRs. Those things can only help him in the NFL.

My biggest concern with him is his size. He has good height at 6'3", but he's a skinny little dude. I'd like to see him get closer to RG3s 223 by the combine. Not that they are comparable players, but he'll take a beating in the pocket at the sub 215lbs he is now.

kwilk103
09-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I was sold on Geno vs. LSU last year. There were several times I thought he was going to really start going downhill, but he was able to move the ball the entire game.

I don't like the crazy offense, but I think it does force the QB to really go thru his progressions, read his keys and have strong timing with his WRs. Those things can only help him in the NFL.

My biggest concern with him is his size. He has good height at 6'3", but he's a skinny little dude. I'd like to see him get closer to RG3s 223 by the combine. Not that they are comparable players, but he'll take a beating in the pocket at the sub 215lbs he is now.

hes up to 220 now

Caulibflower
09-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Seems like Pat White and Steve Slaton had more hype and media coverage while they were at WVU, but who else wants to bet that Geno Smith and Tavon Austin will be better NFL players?

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Yeah. I just don't see Barkely as this Elite QB proespect. He's a very solid QB, but he would not have been taken over RG III in 2012 draft.

I like Geno Smith. He's an interesting talent, but I just don't like the offense he comes from. very suspect in scouting talent.

Thx for pointing out the obvious. No one has ever said Barkley was elite.

I personally think he's still the best, more polished, option out of the bunch. Everyone else blows by him in terms of potential, yes, but he's going to be a very good QB.

Malaka
09-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Seems like Pat White and Steve Slaton had more hype and media coverage while they were at WVU, but who else wants to bet that Geno Hayes and Tavon Austin will be better NFL players?

I remember Geno Hayes.

norcalgsr
09-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Geno Smith to the Buffalo Bills. Perfect fit. Three and four-wide, throw out of the shotgun.

Caulibflower
09-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I remember Geno Hayes.

Haha. Brain fart.

Armchair Scout
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I think the idea that Geno Smith is a dual-threat QB in the mold of RGIII is a big misconception. He plays in a spread offense, but not a zone-read one. He is fairly mobile, but mostly as a means of avoiding pressure. He had -33 rushing yards last year, so he was definitely not scrambling as a primary means of gaining yardage.

I love Smith's pocket presence and ability to feel the pass rush and elude it, as well as his touch on downfield throws and his consistently excellent decision making. He also does an excellent job progressing through his reads.

I don't like his inconsistent footwork, which leads to his inconsistency throwing the ball with zip. I also don't see a lot of "NFL" throws in his college career. In college, he always has check down options that are more open than they would ever be in the NFL and a lot of his throws are to wide open receivers who are often standing still. Very rarely is he asked to throw a receiver open or pass before his receiver breaks.

Overall, I see Smith being on of the top 3 QB's taken in next year's draft. He is one of the more polished decision makers in college football and is much more NFL-ready than most college QB's. He doesn't have the upside of some of the other QB's in college football, but he is a very steady player who is simply one of the best QBs in college football today and has relatively little risk as a prospect.

bored of education
09-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I think the idea that Geno Smith is a dual-threat QB in the mold of RGIII is a big misconception. He plays in a spread offense, but not a zone-read one. He is fairly mobile, but mostly as a means of avoiding pressure. He had -33 rushing yards last year, so he was definitely not scrambling as a primary means of gaining yardage.

I love Smith's pocket presence and ability to feel the pass rush and elude it, as well as his touch on downfield throws and his consistently excellent decision making. He also does an excellent job progressing through his reads.

I don't like his inconsistent footwork, which leads to his inconsistency throwing the ball with zip. I also don't see a lot of "NFL" throws in his college career. In college, he always has check down options that are more open than they would ever be in the NFL and a lot of his throws are to wide open receivers who are often standing still. Very rarely is he asked to throw a receiver open or pass before his receiver breaks.

Overall, I see Smith being on of the top 3 QB's taken in next year's draft. He is one of the more polished decision makers in college football and is much more NFL-ready than most college QB's. He doesn't have the upside of some of the other QB's in college football, but he is a very steady player who is simply one of the best QBs in college football today and has relatively little risk as a prospect.

This guy with the post of the month. Stole my ideas homie!

justdoit12
09-25-2012, 07:12 AM

I pretty much agree with you assessment on Geno cept for the NFL throw part. He has shown the ability to throw back shoulder passes this year and is constantly throwing out routes which are two of the toughest throws to make

Armchair Scout
09-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I pretty much agree with you assessment on Geno cept for the NFL throw part. He has shown the ability to throw back shoulder passes this year and is constantly throwing out routes which are two of the toughest throws to make

You have a good point with that, but those make up a small proportion of his throws. He can make impressive throws, but I don't see him consistently having to push the ball upfield. He does make some nice touch throws, but rarely does he have to take risks. West Virginia's offense allows Smith to check down to receivers very easily. It will be more difficult for him to avoid mistakes in an NFL offense facing NFL defenses.

FUNBUNCHER
09-25-2012, 03:25 PM
You have a good point with that, but those make up a small proportion of his throws. He can make impressive throws, but I don't see him consistently having to push the ball upfield. He does make some nice touch throws, but rarely does he have to take risks. West Virginia's offense allows Smith to check down to receivers very easily. It will be more difficult for him to avoid mistakes in an NFL offense facing NFL defenses.

No college QBs make routinely difficult NFL caliber throws as a part of their team's base passing offense.
Most top prospects are making 'easy' throws, since the goal is to win games in college and not impress scouts.

This is where projection to the next level comes in, accuracy/decision making/playing well under pressure.

If WVU goes undefeated, we'll get a chance to see Geno Smith in either a re-match against LSU or a contest against FSU/Oregon/Alabama.

Any one of those matchups will tell us a great deal about how talented a QB Geno Smith is, or not so much.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
There have been questions about his footwork in the past but by all accounts he worked tirelessly on it in the offseason and the early results are very promising. Pay close attention when you watch him this year because it's been one of the things that's stood out the most to me early on and I might even go so far as to say it's become a strength of his.

keylime_5
09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
how come he isnt highly thought of? i know people say hes a system qb, but since the orange bowl, he has been insanely good

3 games (his 3rd one is in progress; start of 4th)

98/118 83% 1,141 yds 15 tds 0 int
15 carries 109 yds 7.2 ypc 2 tds

who says he isn't highly thought of? I guess he isn't getting Barkley's hype, but a couple guys I know who basically are qualified to be pro scouts had Barkley as the #1 slightly over Geno coming into the season. When you look at the disappointing year Barkley is having compared to the outstanding year Smith is having I think it's hard to believe that Geno isn't higher than Barkley on a lot of team's boards right now. Better size, better athlete, better arm, better production - albeit he is raw and has no idea how to play in a pro system yet like Barkley. It's all projection with him while Barkley we pretty much know what he looks like when you put him in a pro style offense with first round pick WRs and RBs and OLinemen to play with.

SolidGold
09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I am looking forward to the matchup vs. Baylor

The QB Smith is going up against this weekend is Nick Florence:

71/110 1,004 yds 11 tds 4 ints
21 carries 159 yds 7.6 avg

This game is going to be a shootout. If Baylor wins I expect Florence to get some traction in the Heisman.

vidae
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to see Geno in KC red.

Armchair Scout
09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
No college QBs make routinely difficult NFL caliber throws as a part of their team's base passing offense.
Most top prospects are making 'easy' throws, since the goal is to win games in college and not impress scouts.

That is basically correct, but most NFL-prospect QBs in college football are challenged to throw downfield more than Geno Smith. Aaron Murray, who I feel is very underrated as a prospect, routinely makes bullet throws over the middle of the field through traffic and often throws deep balls to receivers over the top of defenders. Most drop-back QBs, notably the prospects from the SEC, Murray, Tyler Wilson and Tyler Bray, are expected to push the ball downfield on a greater proportion of their throws than Smith.

villagewarrior
09-25-2012, 07:14 PM

This please. Or Tyler Wilson. I'm not so crazy on any of the other QBs.

FUNBUNCHER
09-26-2012, 01:30 AM
I am looking forward to the matchup vs. Baylor

The QB Smith is going up against this weekend is Nick Florence:

71/110 1,004 yds 11 tds 4 ints
21 carries 159 yds 7.6 avg

This game is going to be a shootout. If Baylor wins I expect Florence to get some traction in the Heisman.

You think Baylor is better than Clemson on D??
WVU is going to blow Baylor away.

Robcards
09-26-2012, 02:52 AM
The Geno Smith and RGIII comparison is almost as laughable as the RGIII and Cam Newton comparison was last year. Just because the guy is black doesn't mean that they are ANYTHING alike. Geno Smith doesn't run a sub-4.4 40 for starters. His body type is much different, his deep ball isn't as good, his mechanics are different, basically he's a completely different quarterback in every way, except skin tone. Just like RGIII and Cam had nothing in common except skin tone and Heisman trophies.

That being said, while he will have growing pains going from his 'high school offense' as some people have said to the pros, if he goes through his progressions well and reads defenses and has a good arm then he'll be fine. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being the first QB off the board in April with the other 1st round hopefuls falling on their faces as of late. How he does against a defense like Texas will be huge, likely the best pass rush and secondary he will face since LSU last year, which I turned off in the 1st quarter so can't really evaluate on that one.

FUNBUNCHER
09-26-2012, 05:07 AM
RGIII and Geno Smith have nearly identical builds. No their throwing motions aren't similar and RGIII has a stronger arm, but not by much.

Geno Smith can scramble effectively, I believe he'll run low 4.6/4.7 at the combine which would put him at the Aaron Rogers/Alex Smith level of mobility in the pros - very good, and both QBs look to throw first instead of running it.

Geno like Robert prefers to do his damage from the pocket with enough mobility to punish defenses when he runs.

Also Geno and Grif ran that hybrid spread in college primarily out of the shotgun. I don't think their on the field games in college are as different as some are making it out to be. The only major distinction is RGIII is a world class athlete and is a threat to go the distance whenever he breaks from the pocket.

They're both highly accurate, both seem to be able to find secondary WRs without much difficulty, both play their best against top competition, both seem to have an innate ability to play the position beyond their physical tools.

The comparison isn't just skin tone.

SolidGold
09-26-2012, 06:28 AM
You think Baylor is better than Clemson on D??
WVU is going to blow Baylor away.

WVU doesn't have much of a defense either...its going to be a shootout. That is what I was getting at.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Just like we were going to see Tannehill in KC red, amiright?

bucfan12
09-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I can't wait to see Geno Smith in red and pewter next year. :)

vidae
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Just like we were going to see Tannehill in KC red, amiright?

Why are you so mean to me?

TACKLE
09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Why are you so mean to me?

Yeah ATL, just because you finally got your franchise LT doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to vidae because he doesn't have his franchise QB yet.

vidae
09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah ATL, just because you finally got your franchise LT doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to vidae because he doesn't have his franchise QB yet.

Lamar!!!!!!!

Malaka
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I can't wait to see Geno Smith in red and pewter next year. :)

You're through with Freeman?

vidae
09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Nah bro, Freeman is a legit MVP candidate.

bucfan12
09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
You're through with Freeman?

Yep. Idk how possible it was to regress from the season he had in 2010 but he looks like a scared lost puppy out there.

bucfan12
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Nah bro, Freeman is a legit MVP candidate.

Yeah in the afl

ATLDirtyBirds
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Lamar!!!!!!!

Once we finally activate him, I swear. The day the OT position was reborn. Good night sweet pass rushers.

Armchair Scout
09-26-2012, 03:59 PM
RGIII and Geno Smith have nearly identical builds. No their throwing motions aren't similar and RGIII has a stronger arm, but not by much.

Geno Smith can scramble effectively, I believe he'll run low 4.6/4.7 at the combine which would put him at the Aaron Rogers/Alex Smith level of mobility in the pros - very good, and both QBs look to throw first instead of running it.

Geno like Robert prefers to do his damage from the pocket with enough mobility to punish defenses when he runs.

Also Geno and Grif ran that hybrid spread in college primarily out of the shotgun. I don't think their on the field games in college are as different as some are making it out to be. The only major distinction is RGIII is a world class athlete and is a threat to go the distance whenever he breaks from the pocket.

They're both highly accurate, both seem to be able to find secondary WRs without much difficulty, both play their best against top competition, both seem to have an innate ability to play the position beyond their physical tools.

The comparison isn't just skin tone.

Maybe there are a few similarities between Smith and RGIII, but they are very different players who played in fairly different offenses.

A large part of RGIII's success at Baylor was due to his running ability. The zone read was a major part of Baylor's offense and RGIII frequently picked up crucial first downs with his legs. In doing so he ran for 732 more yards than Geno Smith last year despite playing for a team with an inferior offensive line.

Yes, both Geno Smith and RGIII play/played in spread offenses, but Baylor's offense relied much more on downfield throws and much less on yards after the catch.

Geno Smith has good mobility and can throw well off the run. He also has arguably superior pocket presence to RGIII and feels the rush better than almost all college QBs. He isn't a dangerous scrambler, however. He ran for -33 yards last year. Most top QB prospects in college football are superior scramblers to Smith. And even if Smith does run a 4.6, which I doubt, he doesn't really use that speed to scramble.

Although, honestly, I am not sure it is really necessary to compare Smith to anyone in the NFL. He plays in a unique offense and has a fairly uncommon skill set. Trying to force comparisons of him to other spread QBs who succeeded in the NFL is only going to make someone look silly.

BeardedOne
09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
You have to like this kid. He shows a live arm with plenty of zip and velocity. Also, his ball placement is excellent, and he can hit receivers in stride. While his offense utilizes a lot of spread concepts, most of his throws are NFL caliber. For the most part, Smith goes through his reads and makes good decisions. Most impressive though, while he shows great mobility, he plays with a throw-first mentality and owns the pocket.

Phins827
09-29-2012, 12:28 PM
This guy has been simply incredible today. I don't see how he's NOT the #1 ranked QB

RaiderNation
09-29-2012, 12:40 PM
He's making all the necessary throws to have success, I don't see how he's not a top 5/10 pick if he keeps up this pace.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Anyone questioning if he can make some throws should watch the tape from the first half today because he's made them all.

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2012, 12:44 PM
The most important factor IMO determining how high Geno Smith goes in the 2013 draft is how well he does interviews. His next level game on the field is apparent.

EDIT: This WVU/Baylor game is EPIC!!!

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow. That last pass was ridonculous. He looks like Aaron Rodgers/ Romo with that pocket presence and release.

rawdawg
09-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Every single pass has been on a platter for his WRs. He's literally putting the ball exactly where he wants on every throw.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Already thought he was the 1st QB taken. Pretty much soldified that today. COME TO BUFFALO!

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 01:38 PM
He's te real deal. Dear Greg schiano,

JOsh Freeman sucks. Please lose every game so we can get this Geno Smith kid.

Thanks.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Another ridiculous throw from Geno. Morgantown isn't that much different from Buffalo bro.

I bet we can get Jim Kelly to let you wear the #12 too.

rawdawg
09-29-2012, 01:45 PM
The throw to Austin on the goalline was the only less than perfect throw he's made today. Really wanted to see him get that 7th TD pass.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Only way Geno doesn't win the Heisman? Gets caught with a dead girl or a live boy.

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Another ridiculous throw from Geno. Morgantown isn't that much different from Buffalo bro.

I bet we can get Jim Kelly to let you wear the #12 too.

No. You cannot have him. He belongs in red and pewter

703SKINS202
09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
im speechless boys, speechless

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2012, 01:54 PM

sorry we suck way worse than you. he's ours.

rawdawg
09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
84% completion, 18 TDs, 0 INTs. It's hard to do that in the pregame walk-through.

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 01:55 PM
sorry we suck way worse than you. he's ours.

It's still early

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
It's still early

What's this implicit of? That he has time to slip as a prospect? Or, do the browns have time to win enough games to remove themselves from the slot to take him? Neither?

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Fitzpatick, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe's corpse, Johnson, Flutie, Collins.

Haven't made the playoffs since the 8th day of the new millenium and we have horrible weather. If fair has anything to do with it we get him. LOL!

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
What's this implicit of? That he has time to slip as a prospect? Or, do the browns have time to win enough games to remove themselves from the slot to take him? Neither?

No for the bucs to tank the rest of the year. Thus finish with a higher draft pick than te bills :)

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Fitzpatick, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe's corpse, Johnson, Flutie, Collins.

Haven't made the playoffs since the 8th day of the new millenium and we have horrible weather. If fair has anything to do with it we get him. LOL!

Did you not see Freeman's 39 yard performance going into the 4th qtr Lol. In Tampa we never seen a franchise qb ever. It's worse bc 2010 teased us.

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
No for the bucs to tank the rest of the year. Thus finish with a higher draft pick than te bills :)

well good luck losing more games than the browns :D

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 02:06 PM
well good luck losing more games than the browns :D

Brandon Weeden keeps putting up 300 yard games, won't have to worry :D

Cardsfan
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM

I had visions of Geno Smith lighting up the Arizona sky with Fitz and
Floyd but looks like we wont have a shot at him.

Not a Browns fan but it would be cool to see Geno and Richardson in
the same backfield together. I thought the Browns should of picked
Riley Reiff

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Did you not see Freeman's 39 yard performance going into the 4th qtr Lol. In Tampa we never seen a franchise qb ever. It's worse bc 2010 teased us.

He has moxie though and the mystique of potential lol and you won a Super Bowl 10 years ago.

Plus you know Schiano is going to go to take a guy who's good at breaking up victory formation kneels.

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
He has moxie though and the mystique of potential lol and you won a Super Bowl 10 years ago.

Plus you know Schiano is going to go to take a guy who's good at breaking up victory formation kneels.

Can'lt live in the past. Schiano wants to keep his job, he needs to get rid of Freeman and get an actual QB with Instincts and intangibles.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:18 PM
577 yards, 7 TD's, 60+ Fantasy Points and for Mr. Eugene Smith of Morgantown, West Virginia, life continued in more or less exactly the same way.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Can'lt live in the past. Schiano wants to keep his job, he needs to get rid of Freeman and get an actual QB with Instincts and intangibles.

#TeamFreeman. Hoping he improves enough that the Front Office is convinced he's the right guy.

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I had visions of Geno Smith lighting up the Arizona sky with Fitz and
Floyd but looks like we wont have a shot at him.

Not a Browns fan but it would be cool to see Geno and Richardson in
the same backfield together. I thought the Browns should of picked
Riley Reiff

I wanted DeCastro in the slot we took Weeden, or Alshon Jeffery. It was more aggravating because Pittsburgh took him the slot after. I know he got injured but he can still be a really good player. I thought if we were taking Trent that high we should give him the best opportunity to succeed (capable interior blocking) and here we are.

Geno in '13 baby.

rawdawg
09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Are you serious? This is like 90s Greg Maddux at the QB position. Precision. Precision. Precision.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
So like yeah, if you're tired of watching Geno Smith go all Geno Smith read this excellent NYT's profile on him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sports/ncaafootball/geno-smith-and-the-art-of-football-at-west-virginia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm in Love . No ****

703SKINS202
09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
"Updated Geno stats: 43/49, 635 yds, 8 TD, 0 INT. 20 TD, 0 INT this season."

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
So like yeah, if you're tired of watching Geno Smith go all Geno Smith read this excellent NYT's profile on him.

If that's an excellent profile for a qb, try reading all those NYT articles on Andrew Luck. Can't believe in the year of 2012 a students greatness is exemplified by his artistry in drawing as a 13-year-old. This is the reason why American public school system is broken beyond repair.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
If that's an excellent profile for a qb, try reading all those NYT articles on Andrew Luck. Can't believe in the year of 2012 a students greatness is exemplified by his artistry in drawing as a 13-year-old. This is the reason why American public school system is broken beyond repair.

Baylor fan or embattled teacher?

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Baylor fan or embattled teacher?

You don't seem too bright either. Dartmouth grad.

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:47 PM
You don't seem too bright either. Dartmouth grad.

Not Dartmouth smart but I can probably beat you up.

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Not Dartmouth smart but I can probably beat you up.

Lol are you a Ron Swanson embodiment? Your sheer brute force is very intimidating. Try going to Indy and beat a smart guy like Luck up. See how you fare?

Leon Sandcastle
09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Lol are you a Ron Swanson embodiment? Your sheer brute force is very intimidating. Try going to Indy and beat a smart guy like Luck up. See how you fare?

Side note: I love how you only have 6 posts in 4 years.

mqtirishfan
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
8 TDs, 6 incompletions today.

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Don't nearly have enough time being impressed with "Prospects" like Geno Smith like you do. In 08 there's Matt Ryan, hence I registered. This year there's Luck. These are what you called legitimate top qb picks.

Babylon
09-29-2012, 02:58 PM

He went to Dartmouth, they take a while to gather their thoughts. (just kidding, sort of)

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm actually more shocked when he throws an incompletion. Bring on the Longhorns!

703SKINS202
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
WVU!!!!!!!!:freakout:

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Will say this: Geno Smith is compared to Aaron Rodgers. Agree to disagree?

Shane P. Hallam
09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm actually more shocked when he throws an incompletion. Bring on the Longhorns!

Yup, if Geno plays like this next week against a tough defense, he will be in the #1 overall pick conversation.

Babylon
09-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Yup, if Geno plays like this next week against a tough defense, he will be in the #1 overall pick conversation.

Not to nitpick but what constitutes a tough defense.

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Thing is, he already had a great performance against LSU last year, when they were considered 1-2 with Alabama.

I think he deserves to be in the conversation right now, and if he continues this, which I think he does, there is no conversation.

Sadly as a Bucs fan, I don't think we get that #1 pick. :(

jth1331
09-29-2012, 03:20 PM
My question is, is Geno really this good, or is it due to horrible defenses he has faced coupled with a tremendous offensive gameplan/playcalling?

703SKINS202
09-29-2012, 03:22 PM
My question is, is Geno really this good, or is it due to horrible defenses he has faced coupled with a tremendous offensive gameplan/playcalling?

Look at his precision, it takes talent to do what he's doing regardless of the defenses he's seen. We'll learn more going forward, but don't downplay the ridiculous production to date.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Look at his precision, it takes talent to do what he's doing regardless of the defenses he's seen. We'll learn more going forward, but don't downplay the ridiculous production to date.

The fade on the TD to Bailey was on the money. Another long pass to Bailey was dropped right over the shoulder and he had CBs blanketing him on those two throws. So beautiful. I need to re-watch this game. Like, right now.

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM

In the NFL, if you make a wrong throw based on a wrong decision, then it's gonna be disastrous regardless of of the precision you throw it with. Heck you can throw it with more precision than Verlander and Ed Reed or Woodson's still gonna bring it 50 yards the other way.

Nfl's not gonna provide you with corners who trail your WRs by three yards all the way every time you throw go routes; nor is it gonna give you 50 square feet of space to throw into just because you WR comes off a wheel route; the least and last Nfl would give you is 10 seconds to "go through" your progressions

SuperPacker
09-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Beautiful performance.

Here's to hoping he lands in a nice situation. Chiefs, Raiders or Bucs would be good for him.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
In the NFL, if you make a wrong throw based on a wrong decision, then it's gonna be disastrous regardless of of the precision you throw it with.

From today's game, how many times would you say that Geno made the "wrong throw based on a wrong decision"?

Shane P. Hallam
09-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Texas with 3-5 NFL prospects on their defense.

norcalgsr
09-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Baylor has allowed 29.7 points per game, not including today's game.

Kansas State: 15.5
TCU: 4.3
Oklahoma: 14.7
Texas: 16.0

Those 4 teams above will be true tests for Geno Smith.

Armchair Scout
09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, Baylor's defense was horrible, but that was an absurdly good performance by Smith. Even the difficult throws by him were perfectly accurate. He had four fade routes to Bailey in the game that were absolute pictures of perfection. Yes, he couldn't throw for 600+ yards and eight touchdowns with only 6 incompletions and no sacks against a good defense, but there isn't a college QB who ever could put those numbers up against a good defense. You can't blame Smith for taking advantage of the opposing defense. That was the best game I have seen played by a college QB in recent years.

PossibleCabbage
09-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Baylor's defense is terrible, but as terrible as they are I don't see any other QB in this draft putting up those numbers against them.

But scouts aren't going to put much stock in this game tape.

Pat Sims 90
09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I still not sold on him. He can make the throws, but I am afraid in the NFL defenses will be too fast for him and struggle mightily to read defenses.

xjxdarren
09-29-2012, 04:09 PM
From today's game, how many times would you say that Geno made the "wrong throw based on a wrong decision"?

My point is not that he made wrong decisions today, but that the entire Baylor defense was nowhere, absolutely nowhere near the caliber to put him into any distress where he would make wrong decisions. That's why in spite of all the firework he put in the air and the jaw-dropping numbers printed in stat-sheets, his performance today needs to be taken with more than a grain of salt. Much more.

vidae
09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry boys, but I called Geno to KC months ago. You guys are trying to jump on a bandwagon that has already left without you.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Baylor has allowed 29.7 points per game, not including today's game.

Kansas State: 15.5
TCU: 4.3
Oklahoma: 14.7
Texas: 16.0

Those 4 teams above will be true tests for Geno Smith.

I know that Oklahoma and Kansas State played each other, but have any of those defenses played an offense as explosive as West Virginia's yet? Or anything really close to it for that matter? I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm interested to see how he shreds (performs against) those defenses as well... lol. People are just quick to point out that WVU hasn't played anyone yet but at the same time, a lot of those teams above haven't either. Can't wait to see Geno and this offense take on the giants of the Big 12.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes, Baylor's defense was horrible, but that was an absurdly good performance by Smith. Even the difficult throws by him were perfectly accurate. He had four fade routes to Bailey in the game that were absolute pictures of perfection. Yes, he couldn't throw for 600+ yards and eight touchdowns with only 6 incompletions and no sacks against a good defense, but there isn't a college QB who ever could put those numbers up against a good defense. You can't blame Smith for taking advantage of the opposing defense. That was the best game I have seen played by a college QB in recent years.

Well said.

PossibleCabbage
09-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I am afraid in the NFL defenses will be too fast for him and struggle mightily to read defenses.

How many QBs in this draft, or any other, can't you say this about? NFL defenses are faster than the fastest college defenses and disguise their stuff better. Every QB has to learn to adapt to the speed of the game and learn how to diagnose NFL defenses. Guys like Cam Newton and Robert Griffin weren't exactly world class when it came to reading defenses, but it neither held them back in the draft nor prevented them from doing pretty well so far in the NFL.

Generally the question is "Can I teach this guy to read a defense" not "can this guy read a defense right now". The throws that Smith is capable of making aren't throws that everybody can make, so that's why you look long and hard at him. The things he doesn't do right are things you can teach, and the fact that his footwork has improved dramatically from last year is what really makes you excited about this kid.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
My point is not that he made wrong decisions today, but that the entire Baylor defense was nowhere, absolutely nowhere near the caliber to put him into any distress where he would make wrong decisions. That's why in spite of all the firework he put in the air and the jaw-dropping numbers printed in stat-sheets, his performance today needs to be taken with more than a grain of salt. Much more.

Got ya. Still... he destroyed a fellow Big 12 team today. Yes, it was Baylor. He was still lights out, though. That cannot be denied. There are a lot of QBs that still make bad throws occasionally even with lots of time to throw or when throwing to open WRs. He did not miss a single one of those today from what I saw. He did what he was supposed to do today. He did way more, in all honesty.

nepg
09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
He has 20 TDs through 4 games... That is insane.

SuperPacker
09-29-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm sorry boys, but I called Geno to KC months ago. You guys are trying to jump on a bandwagon that has already left without you.

Oh, I see how it is. Well I take it back and am now solely rooting for him to go to Oakland!!!!

D-Unit
09-29-2012, 05:07 PM
How many years in a row are we gonna hear Chiefs fans cry that they will get a QB in the draft only to watch them take a D-Lineman?

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Oh, I see how it is. Well I take it back and am now solely rooting for him to go to Oakland!!!!

Sorry, that seat has been taken by Tyler Wilson./

RaiderNation
09-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry, that seat has been taken by Tyler Wilson./

I'll take Geno over Wilson at this point, I'd love to see him with the speed we currently have on the roster and the type of offense that would be implemented. I'd still rather stick with Palmer though and hopefully draft an impact defensive player like a Jarvis Jones.

bucfan12
09-29-2012, 05:34 PM

It's good you called it months ago. Me personally needed to see more and I'm impressed

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 05:43 PM
He has 20 TDs through 4 games... That is insane.

20 tds. 28 incompletions.

vidae
09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
How many years in a row are we gonna hear Chiefs fans cry that they will get a QB in the draft only to watch them take a D-Lineman?

D-Unit, it's September. Do you really need to make me depressed this early? Can't you wait until March? CMON MAN.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Oakland has pryorz guys, they don't need geno.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-29-2012, 06:47 PM
D-Unit, it's September. Do you really need to make me depressed this early? Can't you wait until March? CMON MAN.

Bro, you've already got Stanzi.

vidae
09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Bro, you've already got Stanzi.

And you've already got Lamar. Come at me jerk.

Babylon
09-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Watching him today reminded me of Sam Bradford against weak B-12 defenses. I would add Smith reminds me some of Bradford with his accuracy and nice tools.

farfromforgotten
09-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Watching him today reminded me of Sam Bradford against weak B-12 defenses. I would add Smith reminds me some of Bradford with his accuracy and nice tools.

Bradford never had a game like this... even against weak B-12 defenses. In 2008 he threw for 4700 yards and 50 tds while completing 68% of his passes. Most yards he had in a single game that year was 468. Most tds in a game was 5. He only completed over 80% of his passes in one game that season. Bradford did perform well against the best competition he faced that year and I'm sure their defense was a heck of a lot better than the one WVU puts on the field so I don't imagine he got in to too many 70-63 shootouts.

Interested to see how Smith does against the top dogs. I think he'll do well.

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2012, 07:36 PM

sorry but we're derailing your bandwagon. We suck worse than everyone, he's ours. Learn to cope with it now and look forward to Wilson.

vidae
09-29-2012, 08:01 PM
sorry but we're derailing your bandwagon. We suck worse than everyone, he's ours. Learn to cope with it now and look forward to Wilson.

I will do no such thing!

Caulibflower
09-29-2012, 08:28 PM
This is just like Robert Griffin last year. He had some ridiculous incompletion-to-touchdown ration through the first few games of last season, too.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Kansas State and TCU are the games I expect him to struggle, so ultimately I think how he performs in those two games determines a tone as far as Heisman and draft prospects.

SuperPacker
09-29-2012, 08:50 PM

I hope he does well. The 2013 draft is dying for a clear #1 and Smith has the potential to be that guy.

rawdawg
09-29-2012, 09:40 PM
This is just like Robert Griffin last year. He had some ridiculous incompletion-to-touchdown ration through the first few games of last season, too.

Ended 37-6 ratio, that's still pretty ridiculous. He was at 18-1 thru 4 games (Geno 20-0).

RGIII went 21-27, 359, 5 TDs, 0 INTs vs. TCU and 23-31, 346, 5 TDs, 1 INT vs. KState. I think Geno will be fine. None of these teams are as good on D as LSU was last year, and Geno did very well then (did have a couple picks).

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2012, 10:46 PM
There isn't a defense in the Big 12 that can slow down WVU.
The flipside is there isn't an offense in the Big 12 that can't score 40+ points against the Mountaineers.

jth1331
09-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Bradford never had a game like this... even against weak B-12 defenses. In 2008 he threw for 4700 yards and 50 tds while completing 68% of his passes. Most yards he had in a single game that year was 468. Most tds in a game was 5. He only completed over 80% of his passes in one game that season. Bradford did perform well against the best competition he faced that year and I'm sure their defense was a heck of a lot better than the one WVU puts on the field so I don't imagine he got in to too many 70-63 shootouts.

That 2008 offense for OU was freakin incredible. Bradford didn't have to pass as much as Smith does do to OU's defense actually being competent, and OU had a fantastic ground game that year. Chris Brown and Demarco Murray combined for 2,200+ yards and 34 TD's on the ground.
So comparing Geno to Bradford is kind of silly because of the differences in the OU team in 2008 and WVU in 2012.
What is kind of funny is the NCAA single season TD record is 58, so he would need 39 more TD's in 8 games, basically keeping up on pace with what he is averaging of 5 TD's a game.

scottyboy
09-30-2012, 10:17 AM
you know, rutgers last year held Geno to like 215 passing yards only.

nevermind that we lost and it was the worst conditions for a game I've ever been at.

nevermind my trolling either.

Geno's gonna be really good and it's scary. too bad he ran away from Rutgers. He was scared of Khaseem.

Ok, I'm done trolling. Geno's still really ******* good, so i'm not completely trolling at this point

onejayhawk
10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Kansas State and TCU are the games I expect him to struggle, so ultimately I think how he performs in those two games determines a tone as far as Heisman and draft prospects.

What do you have against Purple?

The basketball, excuse me. football game on Saturday was insane. It was almost like RG III was back, without the running threat. One WVU stop in the 3rd quarter decided the game.

BTW, Geno had more TD than Incompletions. He still has not thrown a pick.

J

Rosebud
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
What do you have against Purple?

The basketball, excuse me. football game on Saturday was insane. It was almost like RG III was back, without the running threat. One WVU stop in the 3rd quarter decided the game.

BTW, Geno had more TD than Incompletions. He still has not thrown a pick.

J

Can you imagine how good he'd be if he had the maturity of a 28 year old?

P-L
10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I can't say that the system and garbage competition he faces doesn't make me nervous at all, but I won't kill him over it either. Honestly, these wide open passing spread offenses mask the deficiencies of wide receivers more than they do for quarterbacks. Regardless of any of that, he does look like the best quarterback in the country. I do have him comfortably above Matt Barkley at the moment, but I still don't think he's someone to go nuts over (like Luck or RGIII last year).

I do think people are overrating his performance against LSU last year a bit. I thought it was ok or maybe even good, but far from great. He did throw for a lot of yards, but also threw the ball 60-70 times. His YPA wasn't that impressive considering the offense he plays in. I also recall a sub-60% completion percentage and a couple of turnovers. It was an impressive performance considering the opponent, but I've seen people act like he had a really great game.

y.f.s.
10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I mean...it's important to evaluate a player's system in the context of understanding what he's asked to do, but at the end of the day, you still have to just isolate his traits and try to project them - independently of surrounding talent, opposing talent, system, etc (I'm paraphrasing Cosell a bit here, but that's is probably the most poignant evaluation stance I've ever heard him make).

For instance, WVU has a read option play that's similar to what Baylor did with RG3 (and I've also seen the Redskins run it). QB reads the weakside alley player and, depending on his pursuit, can choose to either give it to a runningback or hit the backside pass combo. Some people will call it "gimmick" offense, but I fail to see who it's any different conceptually than what a traditional zone bootleg pass. It's the same damn thing.

So back to projectable traits: eye-level? Elite. Pocket movement and comfort? Elite. Ability to play within compressed spaces? Elite from what I've personally seen. Arm talent (not in terms of pure velocity, but in terms of functional arm strength and ball placement)? Elite.

He's the real deal.

onejayhawk
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Can you imagine how good he'd be if he had the maturity of a 28 year old?

Who?

Speaking of 28 year olds, Weeden is proving the Browns were smart.

J

bruschis4all
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Geno was 38/65 463 yards with two td's and 2 int's. Against LSU last year. Really looking forward to see how he does against Texas this week. Most good college offenses protect the qb so well we don't get to see how they do against a pass rush. Maybe, Texas can get in his face and we'll what happens.

Pontus
10-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Debated who is the best pro comparision for Geno Smith. Thinking it may be Aaron Rodgers. Totally off?

Babylon
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Debated who is the best pro comparision for Geno Smith. Thinking it may be Aaron Rodgers. Totally off?

Not seeing Rodgers mobility to be honest. I'd go with Sam Bradford.

Don Vito
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM

He reminds me of Alex Smith when he was coming out of Utah. I know that name sets of a **** storm, but they have a lot of similarities as prospects,

y.f.s.
10-03-2012, 10:55 AM

I like Warren Moon or Ken Anderson as comps. That deep ball accuracy is like "woah" and totally eliminates an Alex Smith comp for me. That and his eye level is better than Alex's has been at any point - Heisman campaign included.

He's got a strong arm but is still a touch thrower, so I can see where a Bradford comp would come from.

I can see Rodgers to a certain point, too, if we're talking about college Aaron Rodgers and not RoboQB Aaron Rodgers.

scottyboy
10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Dante Culpepper because they're both black QBs, lawls

DanDanE420
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
His calmness in the pocket actually reminds me of Tom Brady. He stands very tall.

kwilk103
10-06-2012, 10:31 PM
not his best game vs texas

25/35 269yds 4td 0 int; 2 fumbles off of sacks though

went 10/11 in the 2nd half

vidae
10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Future Chief y'all.

PossibleCabbage
10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Future Chief y'all.

I'm not sure you want to be aiming for the #1 overall pick in week 5 of the NFL season...

You might have to settle for Barkley.

descendency
10-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Still pretty good. Too bad it won't be on replay, because it was on Fox :(

PossibleCabbage
10-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Still pretty good. Too bad it won't be on replay, because it was on Fox :(

I think it's a great game. He managed 4 TDs and a 71% completion rate against a good defense, with a lot of pressure in his face.

It's not as good as his game against Baylor, but Texas's defense is a lot better than Baylor's. The Longhorns have some legitimate defensive talent on the DL and in the secondary.

farfromforgotten
10-07-2012, 06:58 AM
I think it's a great game. He managed 4 TDs and a 71% completion rate against a good defense, with a lot of pressure in his face.

It's not as good as his game against Baylor, but Texas's defense is a lot better than Baylor's. The Longhorns have some legitimate defensive talent on the DL and in the secondary.

Agreed.

People will be able to take a lot more away from this game than the Baylor game. I need to watch the game again as I've been on-call at work the past couple days and had to go in for some night shifts... my mind wasn't all there during the game last night.

farfromforgotten
10-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Updated Geno tracker: 1996 YRDS 24 TDS 0 INTS 81% COMP 204 ATTS

vidae
10-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure you want to be aiming for the #1 overall pick in week 5 of the NFL season...

You might have to settle for Barkley.

That is exactly what I want to be aiming for.

TACKLE
10-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Arm talent (not in terms of pure velocity, but in terms of functional arm strength and ball placement)? Elite.

Can you clarify the difference between 'functional arm strength' and regular arm strength? I don't think any prospect's arm in this draft is being judged by whether or not they can throw the ball through the uprights off their knees from the 50 yard line or whether he or any other QB can throw it 75 yards in the air at a pro day workout. All we have is so far is what we've seen on the field so as I understand it functional arm strength is all we're really going off right now? (really not trying to be snarky with ya, tone is tricky on the interwebz)

Is he an elite passer right now? Hard to argue with his efficiency at all three levels of the field. I would say he might be the best pure 'passer' since Bradford (who I loved). But would I say he's an elite arm talent or "thrower of the football"? No. His arm is solid. Most of his 'wow' throws are because of great touch and placement more so than velocity. You see him really stepping up and driving his downfield throws which is not meant as a knock, but he can't quite throws those effortless-looking darts from different throwing positions like some other top prospects we've seen can. I do really believe he has a lot of room for growth as far as 'arm talent' if he can get stronger and more coordinated in the lower half. I think we will see noticeable progression in that area like we've seen from other top QB's in the league who's arms have gotten gradually stronger. Relative to other highly drafted QB prospects, I'd say his arm is around the middle of the pack - better than Bradford and Sanchez, a bit below Tannehill and Locker. I do understand that you're factoring in more than just velocity in 'arm talent'. I know it's a Cosell-ism but I don't love the term because I feel it's a little too broad and leaves a little too much up to interpretation which was kinda the reason I started going off on whatever you wanna call this thing where I type a lot and don't say much. This isn't meant to bash piece on Geno at all and I don't feel the need to state the obvious that there are other things he does at a very high level and that this criticism if you want to call it that, is not a significant one. I just think that if he did in fact have elite arm talent, he'd be a special, slam-dunk #1 QB prospect in a lot of years because the other stuff he does so well opposed to a very good QB prospect and the likely #1 pick in an ever declining QB class.

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Arm talent isn't just velocity throwing the football or pure arm strength, IMO it also includes the ability to make a wide variety of throws from multiple launch points, accuracy throwing and ball placement.

Arm talent is a bundle of skill sets, both physical and technical.

y.f.s.
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Can you clarify the difference between 'functional arm strength' and regular arm strength? I don't think any prospect's arm in this draft is being judged by whether or not they can throw the ball through the uprights off their knees from the 50 yard line or whether he or any other QB can throw it 75 yards in the air at a pro day workout. All we have is so far is what we've seen on the field so as I understand it functional arm strength is all we're really going off right now? (really not trying to be snarky with ya, tone is tricky on the interwebz)

Is he an elite passer right now? Hard to argue with his efficiency at all three levels of the field. I would say he might be the best pure 'passer' since Bradford (who I loved). But would I say he's an elite arm talent or "thrower of the football"? No. His arm is solid. Most of his 'wow' throws are because of great touch and placement more so than velocity. You see him really stepping up and driving his downfield throws which is not meant as a knock, but he can't quite throws those effortless-looking darts from different throwing positions like some other top prospects we've seen can. I do really believe he has a lot of room for growth as far as 'arm talent' if he can get stronger and more coordinated in the lower half. I think we will see noticeable progression in that area like we've seen from other top QB's in the league who's arms have gotten gradually stronger. Relative to other highly drafted QB prospects, I'd say his arm is around the middle of the pack - better than Bradford and Sanchez, a bit below Tannehill and Locker. I do understand that you're factoring in more than just velocity in 'arm talent'. I know it's a Cosell-ism but I don't love the term because I feel it's a little too broad and leaves a little too much up to interpretation which was kinda the reason I started going off on whatever you wanna call this thing where I type a lot and don't say much. This isn't meant to bash piece on Geno at all and I don't feel the need to state the obvious that there are other things he does at a very high level and that this criticism if you want to call it that, is not a significant one. I just think that if he did in fact have elite arm talent, he'd be a special, slam-dunk #1 QB prospect in a lot of years because the other stuff he does so well opposed to a very good QB prospect and the likely #1 pick in an ever declining QB class.

No, you're definitely right in that the terms "arm talent" and "functional arm strength" are somewhat broad and leave questions to interpretation.

When I refer to functional arm strength, I'm alluding to the fact that there is a necessarily threshold for arm strength and once you get past that threshold, you generally see diminishing returns that negate whatever advantage throwing with a lot of velocity gives you.

Further, while I don't necessarily see the ball "explode" or "crease" out of Smith's hand, I rarely/ever see WRs having to slow up and wait for his balls (even when throwing deep, which he does quite a bit). And I think another part of it has to do with how good he is at moving in the pocket to find space to reset and throw.

Leon Sandcastle
10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
3 way race between the Browns, Chiefs and Bills.

y.f.s.
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
3 way race between the Browns, Chiefs and Bills.

Jaguars plz.

vidae
10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Jaguars plz.

Nope, sorry sir. You will get Barkley and like it. The Chiefs are god awful and now we have Brady Quinn starting at QB. This season is over.

y.f.s.
10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Nope, sorry sir. You will get Barkley and like it. The Chiefs are god awful and now we have Brady Quinn starting at QB. This season is over.

Nah bruh, your D is good enough to win you like 4 games down the stretch.

vidae
10-08-2012, 12:26 PM

If that happens we will throw down in fisticuffs.

TACKLE
10-08-2012, 02:09 PM

*7 to 10

T 10....

Armchair Scout
10-08-2012, 02:26 PM
To weigh in on the debate over Smith's arm talent, I would say his arm talent is the best of any college player. He has the ability to throw with touch and accuracy both when he can step up and when he is on the move or with pressure in his face. Smith doesn't necessarily fire the ball with tons of velocity, but his raw arm strength is among the best in college football. He can throw off his back foot with pressure in his face better than just about any QB in college.

Logan Thomas is probably next on the list when it comes to arm talent, but Thomas lacks both accuracy and precision. He can throw with incredible velocity and can put the perfect amount of air under his deep balls, but he misses his target too frequently to be considered Smith's equal in arm talent.

Zac Dysert and Aaron Murray are probably the next closest, and Tyler Bray, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and EJ Manuel all have various deficiencies in their throwing ability that are not possessed by Smith.

bucfan12
10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Hm....so how come no recent updates on this thread?

SuperPacker
10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Because he sucked so bad he probably isn't a draftable player anymore. I mean ONE GAME! How is it possible to play bad for one game?! Worst. prospect. ever.

bucfan12
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Because he sucked so bad he probably isn't a draftable player anymore. I mean ONE GAME! How is it possible to play bad for one game?! Worst. prospect. ever.

Haha I wasn't getting to that point, but I see many will bump this thread if he explodes next week.

I still like Smith as my top QB, and top 5 pick, but you have to agree. The Big 12 isn't strong defensively. If stronger defenses contain him like this, Question marks will come into play.

As of right now, I say it's one game. Let's see how the rest of the season goes. But Texas Tech isn't 49-14 good.

MassNole
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Haha I wasn't getting to that point, but I see many will bump this thread if he explodes next week.

I still like Smith as my top QB, and top 5 pick, but you have to agree. The Big 12 isn't strong defensively. If stronger defenses contain him like this, Question marks will come into play.

As of right now, I say it's one game. Let's see how the rest of the season goes. But Texas Tech isn't 49-14 good.

No QB from that offensive tree has ever found success in the NFL as a high draft pick. Andre Ware, David Klingler, and Tim Couch were all miserable failures. Nothing suggests Smith won't follow their lineage.

FUNBUNCHER
10-14-2012, 12:20 PM
No QB from that offensive tree has ever found success in the NFL as a high draft pick. Andre Ware, David Klingler, and Tim Couch were all miserable failures. Nothing suggests Smith won't follow their lineage.

Baylor runs the same Air Raid offense as WVU except with more read option concepts. 5 games isn't a career, but it's safe to say that RGIII is tracking to be at least a solid to good NFL QB.

Andre Ware busted because of lack of preparation. COuch busted because of injuries. David Klingler just didn't have it.

The argument you're using as to why we should expect Geno Smith to fail in the pros would have prevented you from drafting Aaron Rodgers because he was another Tedford QB product, all of whom were less than stars in the NFL.

BTW TT might be good this season. They lost by 21 to an Oklahoma team that beat Texas by 42 points.

TACKLE
10-14-2012, 12:28 PM

It's 2012. People still think like this?

Babylon
10-14-2012, 12:43 PM
An average day for him is not going to having any movement of his draft stock. By comparison Matt Barkley looked mediocre to me.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Jeff Tedford QBs will never have success in the NFL either!

farfromforgotten
10-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Apparently. This NFL is a lot different than the NFL that those prospects came into.

y.f.s.
10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Looked like TTU was disguising their coverages pretty well pre-snap and it was giving him trouble. Once they got behind, WVU struggled to flirt with staying aggressive and staying patient. Got off schedule and behind the chains trying to make everything up with big plays.

kwilk103
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Looked like TTU was disguising their coverages pretty well pre-snap and it was giving him trouble. Once they got behind, WVU struggled to flirt with staying aggressive and staying patient. Got off schedule and behind the chains trying to make everything up with big plays.

doesnt help at all knowing you have to score 40+ every game to win

descendency
10-15-2012, 08:16 PM

That's because he's not a first round QB.

I know a lot of people want there to be a great QB in every class, but this class reeks of the same type of stuff that the 2007 QB class had.

y.f.s.
10-15-2012, 10:46 PM

I know a lot of people want there to be a great QB in every class, but this class reeks of the same type of stuff that the 2007 QB class had.

Meh, I'd gladly take Smith or Wilson in the top 10 of almost any class.

coltsarenumber32
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm with you here. Smith may not have the most fluid mechanics, but anytime you throw 23 TD to ZERO INT, you got something going. Not sure what happened against Tex Tech, but this guy is legit. It's not like he's Denard Robinson. This guy can ball right now and has a pretty high ceiling. The hype needs to start raining down.

FUNBUNCHER
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM

32 picks in the first round and Geno Smith doesn't rank one of those slots??:cj:
I don't know many who rate this QB class anything special, but that has nothing to do with Geno Smith who IMO is still a top 5 prospect.

Iamcanadian
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Smith's composure reminds me an awful lot of RG111. I don't know yet how the scouts rate his arm strength but his intangibles are right there with RG111.
If he get passed on arm strength by the pro scouts, his ceiling is off the charts IMO. He looks very special to me.

y.f.s.
10-17-2012, 07:18 PM
His compose in the pocket is better than RG3's IMO (who had a tendency to get awkward and frenetic under pressure).

KCStud
10-19-2012, 01:29 AM
The Aaron Rodgers comparison is the best IMO. He has such a quick release and the guy isn't scared of anyone. He was standing tall against LSU's defense last year. I love his pocket presence. He can move his feet really well in the pocket to avoid rushers and he doesn't panic.

I think Geno is a special QB. He's gonna be a top 10 QB in the NFL IMO.

And I pray to God my Chiefs win the sweepstakes for him because putting him in an offense with Charles, Bowe and Baldwin would be so insane.

Caddy
10-19-2012, 02:30 AM
It's going to be funny for me when the Chiefs win 3-4 of their last 5-6 games and put themselves out of the running for him.

vidae
10-19-2012, 09:56 AM
It's going to be funny for me when the Chiefs win 3-4 of their last 5-6 games and put themselves out of the running for him.

Why would that be funny? I guess Chiefs fans aren't allowed to be excited at the prospect of drafting a future franchise QB, the first since the early 80s. Sorry y'all, Caddy has spoken.

bucfan12
10-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Why would that be funny? I guess Chiefs fans aren't allowed to be excited at the prospect of drafting a future franchise QB, the first since the early 80s. Sorry y'all, Caddy has spoken.

I'm telling ya: Josh McDaniels 2013!

descendency
10-20-2012, 08:44 AM
32 picks in the first round and Geno Smith doesn't rank one of those slots??:cj:
I don't know many who rate this QB class anything special, but that has nothing to do with Geno Smith who IMO is still a top 5 prospect.

I'm not touching a QB that can't read real defenses in the top 5 unless he has physical tools that make jaws drop.

Geno Smith is a 3rd rounder in most draft classes. He's mediocre at almost everything, but people are blinded by the numbers he's putting up in a high school offense.

I just hope WV gets to play a good defense before the year is over (lol@Texas). If they play LSU in a bowl game and Geno doesn't look like ****, then maybe I'll change my mind.

bucfan12
10-20-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not touching a QB that can't read real defenses in the top 5 unless he has physical tools that make jaws drop.

Geno Smith is a 3rd rounder in most draft classes. He's mediocre at almost everything, but people are blinded by the numbers he's putting up in a high school offense.

I just hope WV gets to play a good defense before the year is over (lol@Texas). If they play LSU in a bowl game and Geno doesn't look like ****, then maybe I'll change my mind.

I think Kansas State is a good test tonight. They're defense is very good, but I do agree. Big 12 defenses are really rare to find in terms of good and solid. Texas Tech really wasn't a good defense, as they didn't play any one really. People will make the argument they had the #2 pass defense. But who'd they play? They're not 49-14 good.

Geno Smith, many will forget, as many will start nit-picking his game just as much as they do to Matt Barkley's. Look at the talent. Bailey and Austin are explosive WRs that do turn a lot of slants and crossing patters into scores. Lot of YAC for those WV Wrs.

I still think Geno Smith is a 1st round pick, but there still, IMO, is no sure fire #1 QB prospect. I think between Smith/Barkley/Wilson, it's a toss up and all probably will be picked with in the top 12-15 picks, maybe higher.

FUNBUNCHER
10-20-2012, 09:19 AM
How do you know Geno Smith can't read defenses??:waiting:

Matthew Jones
10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
How do you know Geno Smith can't read defenses??:waiting:

The problem is that if you watch Smith on tape, he stares down his primary target for the entire play before he has a chance to throw there, so it's difficult to say how well he diagnoses defenses.

FUNBUNCHER
10-20-2012, 11:19 AM
You don't have Smith's level of production the last three years because he doesn't come off his #1 WR or lacks the discipline to go through his progressions.

I see a guy who will readily come off his #1 read and throw hot or short.

Geno IMO looks to throw long many times during a game, and in those instances yes he is locked. But he also can move safeties off double coverage to allow his man to get open.

descendency
10-20-2012, 11:36 AM
The problem is that if you watch Smith on tape, he stares down his primary target for the entire play before he has a chance to throw there, so it's difficult to say how well he diagnoses defenses.

That's my biggest issue.

I see people talk about how good he is going through a progression and then I turn on the WVU games to see if I can see it, too. Then I see bubble screens, crossing routes (where he just waits for the route to come open), and the like.

The other issue is what he does under pressure. His accuracy and all of that goes way down. It's hard to find tape of him under pressure, because they run so many screens, he as a quick release, and his line is actually pretty good... but when he's not allowed to have his receivers run triple moves, he does struggle.

I don't think people realize how simple the WV offense is either. It has two fundamental concepts. ZR running plays and a predetermined passing attack.

The ZR stuff has been discussed ad nasium, but the passing hasn't. Basically, they have a few base formations. They pick one, line up, and then the coaches see how the defense is lined up. They have a bunch of coaches signaling in stuff for everyone (everything from blocking to routes to progressions). Once the play is set, the ball is snapped.

It's done this way to hide dumb QBs (not saying Geno is) who are just too athletically talented to not have on the field.

When those kinds of guys get to the NFL, it goes from not calling plays (or plays being 2-3 syllables) to plays taking 10 seconds to say and every part of that means something. And quite frankly, every word of that play means an additional responsibility for the QB, which is why most of those guys never make it in the NFL.

descendency
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
You don't have Smith's level of production the last three years because he doesn't come off his #1 WR or lacks the discipline to go through his progressions.

Pat White?

SolidGold
10-20-2012, 02:10 PM

The other problem is a ton of his gaudy stats come from YAC accrued after short crossing patterns or screens.

I was watching one of the CFB shows on ESPNU and Jason Sehorn was talking about Johnny Manziel and how he plays in the same system as Case Keenum who put up huge numbers. No one seems to talk about the fact that Smith plays in the exact same system as all of those prolific Texas Tech/Houston/Ok St/Baylor QBs -all those coaches including Holgersen are from the Leach coaching tree and all QBs put up ridiculous numbers.

Matthew Jones
10-20-2012, 02:10 PM

I see a guy who will readily come off his #1 read and throw hot or short.

Geno IMO looks to throw long many times during a game, and in those instances yes he is locked. But he also can move safeties off double coverage to allow his man to get open.

The first part of that statement is a logical fallacy. Look at other Holgorsen products who had Smith's level of production: Graham Harrell, Cody Hodges, Case Keenum, etc. Smith is locked onto his top guy on the vast majority of throws, and really struggles if that player doesn't get open. He takes forever to through secondary progressions.

FUNBUNCHER
10-20-2012, 02:48 PM
The first part of that statement is a logical fallacy. Look at other Holgorsen products who had Smith's level of production: Graham Harrell, Cody Hodges, Case Keenum, etc. Smith is locked onto his top guy on the vast majority of throws, and really struggles if that player doesn't get open. He takes forever to through secondary progressions.

I don't see Harrell/Hodges/Keenum etc. when I watch Geno Smith play.
Do you??
In terms of arm strength, not even close. Those guys aren't on the same planet as Geno.
Yes the 'Air Raid' offense thrives off YAC, screens and three to five yard hitch routes. But the Mountaineers also ask Smith to drill 25 yard sideline outs and split double coverage on seam routes. Basically Smith is asked to throw the ball to all three levels of the football field and he's done so with ease.

WVU didn't lose to TT because Smith had a particularly bad game. When TT took away Bailey and Austin, their other WRs couldn't step up. It wasn't as if Geno had a meltdown.

The Air Raid offense is the same offense that produced RGIII and he's shown so far his ranking as a pure NFL prospect wasn't a fluke of a gimmick offensive scheme in college.
EIther you see a top NFL QB prospect when Geno Smith plays, or you don't.

If you think he's the byproduct of a gimmick offense and resembles the next Harrell or Casey Keenum, that's all there is to it.

But whenever I personally watch Geno Smith play, I come away impressed with his decision making and the repertoire of throws he's able to make, and his accuracy.

FUNBUNCHER
10-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Also the reason I believe very few college Air Raid QBs have found success in the NFL is because almost none of them were considered top QB prospects coming out of HS, meaning they were never that talented to start with IMO.

The offense IMO isn't designed to hide dumb QBs. It's meant to maximize an offense that lacks elite playmakers and QBs who have less than ideal physical tools.

But when you put guys like Cam Newton and RGIII who were top ranked HS QBs before entering college and put them in a zone read passing offense, they are able to go toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country.

Geno Smith's profile more resembles Cam and Grif than Harrell and Keenum.
Geno, Cam and Robert were coveted recruits coming out of HS.
RGIII had a scholarship to Stanford. Cam was supposed to be the heir apparent to Tebow at Florida. Geno Smith turned down a scholarship offer from the U.

The point is, superficially Geno's game may resemble other Air Raid QBs, but his individual talent level is much greater than the other failed Air Raid QBs to whom he's often compared.

tjsunstein
10-20-2012, 03:17 PM
If we learned anything last week its that he has some trouble with pre snap reads.

Matthew Jones
10-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't see Harrell/Hodges/Keenum etc. when I watch Geno Smith play.
Do you??
In terms of arm strength, not even close. Those guys aren't on the same planet as Geno.
Yes the 'Air Raid' offense thrives off YAC, screens and three to five yard hitch routes. But the Mountaineers also ask Smith to drill 25 yard sideline outs and split double coverage on seam routes. Basically Smith is asked to throw the ball to all three levels of the football field and he's done so with ease.

WVU didn't lose to TT because Smith had a particularly bad game. When TT took away Bailey and Austin, their other WRs couldn't step up. It wasn't as if Geno had a meltdown.

The Air Raid offense is the same offense that produced RGIII and he's shown so far his ranking as a pure NFL prospect wasn't a fluke of a gimmick offensive scheme in college.
EIther you see a top NFL QB prospect when Geno Smith plays, or you don't.

If you think he's the byproduct of a gimmick offense and resembles the next Harrell or Casey Keenum, that's all there is to it.

But whenever I personally watch Geno Smith play, I come away impressed with his decision making and the repertoire of throws he's able to make, and his accuracy.

I like his arm, overall athleticism, and competitiveness, but I'm just not sure there's any way for us to determine how well he could operate in a pro style system. I also don't think there's any resemblance between Smith and guys like Newton or Griffin in style of play. I see a player who has talent but consistently stares down receiving targets and takes a very long time in the pocket to find an open man if his first option isn't open. Even guys like Tim Couch who were far more physically talented than a Harrell or Keenum have struggled coming out of the Air Raid offense.

bucfan12
10-20-2012, 04:30 PM
The statistical production means nothing in college football. You have to see if Smith can make nfl reads go through progressions and make nfl throws. I think he can but I haven't seen him against a defense that comes close to being worthy.

Also a lot of qbs stats will inflate in the big 12. Also you can't really say the Lsu game last year. He struggled and his stats inflated due to being behind the entire game.

He's not this world class top prospect the more I watch him honestly I see Tyler Wilson as the top guy.

bucfan12
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
So this Geno Smith guy....

Pat Sims 90
10-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Is it just me or does Geno Smith have no leadership at all.

bucfan12
10-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Now u hear crickets bc many people will just explode with praises after his stats balloon over bad teams.

kwilk103
10-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Is it just me or does Geno Smith have no leadership at all.

he knows we get down 10 and its game over

our d is softer than toilet paper

Pat Sims 90
10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
he knows we get down 10 and its game over

our d is softer than toilet paper

That a good quality to have blame ever one else expect yourself and give up on your team if they are down by 10.

kwilk103
10-20-2012, 08:20 PM
That a good quality to have blame ever one else expect yourself and give up on your team if they are down by 10.

have you watched a wvu game this year? we scored 70 and didnt cover the spread

he doesnt go 10-11 the 2nd half of texas game, we lose that

if he doesnt score every drive, wvu loses

BRAVEHEART
10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
He's thrown two picks now. Time to stop worshiping false idols.:cj:

It's not too late to repent folks.
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2nsq7ox.jpg

SolidGold
10-20-2012, 08:42 PM
He was acting like a ***** on the sidlines - he threw a chair...thats what you want from your franchise QB...right?

descendency
10-20-2012, 08:43 PM
have you watched a wvu game this year? we scored 70 and didnt cover the spread

he doesnt go 10-11 the 2nd half of texas game, we lose that

if he doesnt score every drive, wvu loses

So, that NFL GM that was going to spend a top 5 pick on him should not be worried about him quitting in a game because it's not going his way?

That reeks of Jimmy Clausen syndrome.

Docta
10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
He was acting like a ***** on the sidlines - he threw a chair...thats what you want from your franchise QB...right?
Tyler Bray threw beer bottles at cars, and everyone seems fine with him.

kwilk103
10-20-2012, 08:46 PM
So, that NFL GM that was going to spend a top 5 pick on him should not be worried about him quitting in a game because it's not going his way?

That reeks of Jimmy Clausen syndrome.

im not saying its right, but it gets to you

he literally had to be perfect against baylor and texas to pull out those wins

then youre on tv all week being talked about heisman, bcs, etc

its hard to stay calm with that much pressure knowing youre down 10 in the 1st quarter and the games out of reach

soybean
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Lol. Hilarious.

HAHAHAH! why am i just finding out about this now?!?!

Docta
10-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Lol. Hilarious.

HAHAHAH! why am i just finding out about this now?!?!
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/tyler-bray-throw-beer-bottles/

soybean
10-20-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/tyler-bray-throw-beer-bottles/

And no – he wasn’t arrested, nor did he have any charges brought against him. Bray has in fact reached out to the victim and agreed to pay for the damages.

This is how things roll in SEC territory.

good job by him for agreeing to pay for the damages, though.

EDIT: lol. "Heck, even Peyton Manning had a lawsuit brought against him in college for mooning a trainer."

SolidGold
10-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Bray has ways to go - he hasn't been pimped out as the top pick of the draft either...Smith has been riding the hype wave all season.

farfromforgotten
10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Bray has ways to go - he hasn't been pimped out as the top pick of the draft either...Smith has been riding the hype wave all season.

He hasn't given anyone any reason at all to be "pimped out as the top pick of the draft". Has he? Ever?

FUNBUNCHER
10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
On a side note, how good is K-State??
That was a public raping tonight in Morgantown.

WVU has been figured out, their offense is no longer a mystery to opponents.
I think Geno almost never scrambling puts WVU's offense at a disadvantage.
They aren't good enough against elite teams to sit back and chuck it or pound it with their RBs.

Best case scenario and I still can't see WVU scoring more than 24 points against K-State tonight.

This same K-State team destroyed Miami a few weeks ago.
I would love to see this squad be one of the final four teams in the BCS at the end of the season.

Why is WVU's defense beyond bad?? Worst defensive unit I've seen in a while.:facepalm:

Geno is still IMO a top QB prospect, but he's gonna be behind Barkley on many team's boards. And he might be jockeying with guys like Tyler Wilson to be the 2nd QB drafted.

kwilk103
10-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Why is WVU's defense beyond bad?? Worst defensive unit I've seen in a while.:facepalm:

no one knows; ive never seen players just run free like that

we play our cbs 10 yds off the ball, and they still backpedal once the ball is snapped; never look at the ball while its in the air; never blitz

its embarrassing

MassNole
10-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah he certainly looks like a first round pick.

y.f.s.
10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Meh. Tannehill got **** on by everyone from October through April. People forgot about RG3's Baylor team dropping 3 of 4 in October (and how bad he was vs Okie St).

Smith will be fine, and he'll bounce back. Still my #1 QB.

SolidGold
10-21-2012, 10:55 AM
For the record I loved Tannehill all the way through - Smith isn't RG3 in terms of athletic ability/he isn't Tannehill or Luck for that matter.

Smith isn't the fastest, most athletic or agile - pretty decent athlete but nothing special. Playing against quality defenses the past two weeks exposed him. It makes me laugh when people say he should run more. He isn't a running QB.

y.f.s.
10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
For the record I loved Tannehill all the way through - Smith isn't RG3 in terms of athletic ability/he isn't Tannehill or Luck for that matter.

Smith isn't the fastest, most athletic or agile - pretty decent athlete but nothing special. Playing against quality defenses the past two weeks exposed him. It makes me laugh when people say he should run more. He isn't a running QB.

I agree with this part.

His biggest problem right now is playing with a sense of anticipation IMO. Air Raid teams don't necessarily teach QBs to throw to players, they teach them to throw to open areas (and a lot of the time, this can get mistaken for anticipation). His internal clock ticks for too long and he holds the ball waiting for the WR to clear instead of just pulling the trigger.

Comparing him to Case Keenum or Graham Harrell doesn't really make sense IMO, because it's pretty clear that he's a superior arm talent to either one of those guys.

P-L
10-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Have you seen this year's Baylor team? But yeah, these two defenses are worse than Greg Robinson's Michigan defenses.

Babylon
10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree with this part.

His biggest problem right now is playing with a sense of anticipation IMO. Air Raid teams don't necessarily teach QBs to throw to players, they teach them to throw to open areas (and a lot of the time, this can get mistaken for anticipation). His internal clock ticks for too long and he holds the ball waiting for the WR to clear instead of just pulling the trigger.

Comparing him to Case Keenum or Graham Harrell doesn't really make sense IMO, because it's pretty clear that he's a superior arm talent to either one of those guys.

Agree. Last night he seemed late on most of his passes.

Another problem i see lately is some real bad body language out there. He might be already thinking of the next level and that happens but he needs to get his act together. Don't see a problem with his mechanics at all.

For me the order of QBs coming off the board is still to be determined.

y.f.s.
10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Agree. Last night he seemed late on most of his passes.

Another problem i see lately is some real bad body language out there. He might be already thinking of the next level and that happens but he needs to get his act together. Don't see a problem with his mechanics at all.

For me the order of QBs coming off the board is still to be determined.

I can see that complaint. Then again, people say Cam sulks, that Eli is/was mopey, that Rivers is a loose cannon asshole, etc. That's just what happens when you lose.

FUNBUNCHER
10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
When I said that Geno should run more, I mean it can't hurt for him to scramble for a couple first downs when all his WRs are covered. He is athletic enough to do that. I think his functional mobility is really underrated.

Babylon
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I can see that complaint. Then again, people say Cam sulks, that Eli is/was mopey, that Rivers is a loose cannon asshole, etc. That's just what happens when you lose.

Gotta get to the show before you start showing some of those traits. It'll only affect his draft status not how he does at the next level.

descendency
10-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Except Jimmy Clausen was a winner and people saw him do that **** in college. The same kind of **** Geno is doing. Granted, Geno isn't nearly as "I don't give a ****, but I'm going to tell you I do" as Clausen.

descendency
10-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Have you seen this year's Baylor team? But yeah, these two defenses are worse than Greg Robinson's Michigan defenses.

They're still not LA-Lafayette bad.

Edit: From what games I've seen so far, I see 1 first round QB (Barkley) and a bunch of round 2-3 guys. I'm not the biggest fan of Barkley, because I think his accuracy sucks beyond 10 yards - but I may change my mind when I get some time (and desire) to watch some game replays.

soybean
11-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Apparently Geno Smith is extremely immature. I really wouldn't touch this guy in the first if I were a team. Teams should be very careful with him and take a lot of stock into his interviews because that could make or break him.

I know reddit is not always a reliable source but from this person's account and comments from the WVU fan base, Geno Smith has a lot of growing up to do.

Alright, this is no way a stab at your fans, I ran into nothing but nice WV fans at the game. Also, sorry this is a little late, I haven't been near a computer for a while. Couldn't have been happier with your fans. But your quarterback is a dick. Pregame, he taunted our student section. And right as the whole team came out on the field, it seemed like he intentionally ran into a couple guys standing around a pregame drill, starting a little bit of a tussle. Then, as tweeted by Jake Knott, he tried to knock down our defensive coordinator at halftime. I mean, seriously? There was no reason to do any of the above things other than just to be an asshole. Once again, I have nothing against your fans. Nothing but nice people to me and my friends. Even your drunk fans were nice to us. But your quarterback is an asshole. End rant.

Link (http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/13rvm3/this_is_a_question_for_all_you_west_virginia_fans/)

TACKLE
11-26-2012, 04:40 AM
great story...

FUNBUNCHER
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Here we go.

An opposing fan's biggest complaint was the behavior of the other team's QB down on the field??lol

Because you have questions about a QBs behavior that would knock him out of the top 5 doesn't mean you wouldn't draft him in the top 32.
There aren't 32 prospects IMO better than Geno SMith.

This will all get sorted out, but it sounds similar to Philip Rivers.

SolidGold
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Landry Jones - stock up
Geno Smith - Stock down

vidae
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
We get it SolidGold, you like Landry Jones.

y.f.s.
11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Landry Jones' stock has been on life support since the middle of last year.

SolidGold
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
He has had a good second half of the season - his play peaked at the right time whereas Geno Smith's tailed off after the hot start.

y.f.s.
11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
He's still very much the same player as he was in the middle of last year, throwing 71 attempts doesn't really change that. He's the worst decision maker under pressure in this class.

He's "peaking" because of scheduling, same reason Geno "tailed off."