PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Draft

Pages : [1] 2 3

princefielder28
10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Now that we're four weeks into the 2012 season we can start to see the spots throughout the roster where we may need to add talent or make some tweaks when the next off-season approaches, more specifically the draft.

Top Needs

FS
C (offensive line depth in general)
ILB
RB
QB

1. Free Safety - Morgan Burnett has not progressed like the organization and fans had hoped for and he continues to struggle with communication in the defensive backfield

2. Center - I imagine this is Saturday's last year in the league (he's not playing the greatest to begin with) and we have no long term solution behind him.

3. Inside Linebacker - After being at the game yesterday and getting a full scope of what's actually happening on the field, I came away concerned with DJ Smith, who seems to get caught up in traffic quite a bit, and we already know that AJ Hawk is an average player and replaceable.

4. Running Back - Cedric Benson has done a nice job to this point but we all know he's probably just a one year option, and hopefully as the year progresses we'll get a better idea of what we have in Alex Green.

5. Quarterback - Graham Harrell can't even hand the football off when the time calls, enough said!

TimmG6376
10-01-2012, 08:44 AM
We got a glimpse of what life would be like if Rodgers got hurt and it was horrific.

I think coaches are more sold on Burnett than we might be as fans.

The offensive line seems to have taken a step back. Even stalwarts Sitton and Bulaga seem to be struggling a little bit.

princefielder28
10-01-2012, 08:49 AM
We got a glimpse of what life would be like if Rodgers got hurt and it was horrific.

I think coaches are more sold on Burnett than we might be as fans.

The offensive line seems to have taken a step back. Even stalwarts Sitton and Bulaga seem to be struggling a little bit.

He's completely lost as a free safety and blows too many assignments...most of those deep balls and long conversions over the middle are a direct result of an error on his part

SuperPacker
10-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Quarterback
It's been said before, but Graham Harrell sucks. If A-Rod were to go down we'd be unbelievably screwed, even if it were for only one game. Would be nice to pick one up in the middle rounds that has a chance of actually doing something, unlike Harrell.

Running back
Cedric Benson is only a short term option and James Starks hasn't shown much since his first season. We look a lot better now that we have a running back, so an every down type back in the later rounds would be nice. Not sure if Alex Green would be able to take over that role. Marcus Lattimore intrigues me.

Wide Receiver
Greg Jennings could be gone. Add that to Donald Driver most likely retiring after this season and our receiving corps could definitely do with an extra body. Even if it only is a 5th receiver to stick behind Jarrett Boykin, depending on how he comes along. As long as we have A-Rod, it won't ever be a massive need.

Tight End
Jermichael Finley. The dude just sucks. If he isn't dropping passes he's fumbling the ball. How much longer do we want to give him? He could very well be gone by the start of next season. Luckily we have DJ Williams, so it won't be a huge need, but someone behind him would be nice. Assuming Finley isn't here.

Offensive Tackle
Totally dependent on how Derek Sherrod does coming back from his knee injury. Marshall Newhouse doesn't fill you with confidence, but on the other side we have Bulaga who looks safe to keep his place on the offensive line. If Sherrod suck balls, it could be something we look at, if not, then we'll be fine.

Offensive Guard
Josh Sitton and TJ Lang are fine. Other than from a depth point of view, OG is not a need at all. Looking at depth though, and there isn't any. Drafting multiple offensiive lineman in the early/middle/late rounds should be one of the priorities for this draft.

Center
Jeff Saturday is like 50 years old, so if not this year, next year will definitely be his last. We should look to draft his replacement to either step in straight away or to sit for one year and take over once he's gone. This is quite a big need IMO.

Defensive Line
BJ Raji, Jerel Worthy, Ryan Pickett, Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, CJ Wilson...This isn't a need at all. 5 relatively young guys and the Pickett. If we were to go DL it would probably be a big guy, but I wouldn't expect one in the early to middle rounds.

Outside Linebacker
Erm...We have Walden, Perry and Moses opposite of Clay, but I wouldn't say we should totally avoid looking at an outside linebacker. Can never have enough pass rushers and all that jazz. Plus it's not as if Nick Perry has looked Clay Matthews esque in his rookies season. But obviously we're willing to give him time.

Inside Linebacker
I'm a fan of DJ Smith, and when healthy Desmond Bishop is a great player. But AJ Hawk is just a bad player and other guys haven't stepped up as depth. As insurance for Bishop and a replacement for Hawk, we could possibly look for a ILB in the earlier rounds.

Cornerback
This is definitely not a need. From both depth and starting standpoints. We know what we have in Tramon Williams, Davon House, when back from injury, will look to push both Sam Shields and Casey Hayward for the #2 CB spot next season. Oh yeah, we also have thi guy called Charles Woodson. We don't ever have to see Jarrett Bush on the field again..LIFE IS WORTH LIVING!!!

Safety
I feel sorry for Morgan Burnett playing him at FS, because it clearly isn't his natural position. We have two good strong safeties in Burnett and McMillian, but not a free safety. We could go safety early which is annoying saying as we have two perfectly good ones, just at the same position.

In order:

1. C
2. FS
3. ILB
4. WR
5. RB
6. QB
7. TE
8. OT
9. OG
10. OLB
11. DL
12. SS
13. CB

CheeseKnuckles
10-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I would like nothing more than to see Tyler Eifert in a Green Bay Packers uniform... Good Bye Finley!!!

SuperPacker
10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Is DJ not good enough? I wouldn't be a fan of taking a TE in the first round, when we have a perfectly decent one that hasn't had a proper chance yet.

BloodBrother
10-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll say this, they signed Jeff Saturday to a 2 yr deal, but at this rate they can't go into next season with him as the starting Center. He's been BAD so far this year, to put it lightly

they desperately need to get a playmaker at ILB

CheeseKnuckles
10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I like DJ Williams... but Eifert has Finley's size, but is more of a bring your lunch box type of player.

I no specific order I think we need: RB-C-WR-TE-MLB-DL.

IMO one of the most important positions we need to look into is DL. Pickett isn't getting any younger and we need another big body to take up space.

princefielder28
10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I believe ILB could very well be a first round need. Bishop will be returning from injury next season, but when I look at Hawk and Smith I don't see starting caliber inside backers for a defense that wants to be near the top of the league. Depending on where our season goes and what draft position we end up with, Manti Te'o should be a strong consideration for our squad.

SuperPacker
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Meh, i'm a fan of DJ Smith...when he's not next to Hawk. Playing next to AJ must be like the worst situation would could ever be in. You're right though, ILB will be a big need, because of Bishop's injuries and the depth behind the starters.

Obviously Bishop is more talented than both of them, but with him on the field, DJ Smith is at the very least, serviceable, at the #2 ILB spot.

CheeseKnuckles
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I have done very little draft research, but this is what I would like to see our first 3 rounds look like.

RD1. Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame (2nd options: Chance Warmack/Manti Te'o)
RD2. Desmond Trufant, CB Washington
RD3. Mike Gillislee, RB Florida

These are just players I like and postions I think we could improve. I know TE in the first isn't a popular pick, but I thin Eifert is the real deal and hell I don't think I could take another season of Finley! Sorry to those who like him... but I don't think he will ever live up to the hype.

ImBrotherCain
10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
So considering how we have seen how important a running game is becoming what does everyone think of Scott's first Mock giving us Marcus Lattimore. (He now has us taking Bell)

I understand this isn't our main need but I think I said it last year I just love the kid. If he fell to us (assuming no injury concerns) would you take him?

SuperPacker
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I have done very little draft research, but this is what I would like to see our first 3 rounds look like.

RD1. Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame (2nd options: Chance Warmack/Manti Te'o)
RD2. Desmond Trufant, CB Washington
RD3. Mike Gillislee, RB Florida

These are just players I like and postions I think we could improve. I know TE in the first isn't a popular pick, but I thin Eifert is the real deal and hell I don't think I could take another season of Finley! Sorry to those who like him... but I don't think he will ever live up to the hype.

Welcome aboard the hate Finley bandwagon.

And Trufant? We have no reason to be drafting a CB that early.

princefielder28
10-16-2012, 01:43 PM
So considering how we have seen how important a running game is becoming what does everyone think of Scott's first Mock giving us Marcus Lattimore. (He now has us taking Bell)

I understand this isn't our main need but I think I said it last year I just love the kid. If he fell to us (assuming no injury concerns) would you take him?

Marcus Lattimore is a tremendous talent, but given our style of offense I just can't see investing a first round pick on a running back. I like what I've seen out of Alex Green to this point, and if we can bring in competition through the mid rounds then I feel that's the best approach.

The back I really like as kind of an underrated prospect is Dennis Johnson from Arkansas. He's one of those bowling ball type backs who's also very good at catching passes out of the backfield.

Welcome aboard the hate Finley bandwaigon.

I don't know too many fans who are currently in love with Finley, and if we were to move him I don't see us investing a high pick in the position. The way we incorporate tight ends into the offense is through their specific niches and our offense can operate without a big pass catching tight end, especially when that tight end has a propensity for dropping passes.

And you're correct, there's no way we're investing an early pick on a corner. We have four youthful players in Williams, Shields, House, and Hayward and there's no need to add to that group early on in the draft. Trufant has had a nice senior season, but he doesn't fit what we need.

CheeseKnuckles
10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard the hate Finley bandwagon.

Yeah we probably don't need a CB that early, but you really can't have enough depth at CB. If I had to rewrite now that I have been digging into this draft class a little more I would do it this way.

RD1. Johnathon Hankins
RD2. Joseph Fauria
RD3. Mike Gillislee

princefielder28
10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah we probably don't need a CB that early, but you really can't have enough depth at CB. If I had to rewrite now that I have been digging into this draft class a little more I would do it this way.

RD1. Johnathon Hankins
RD2. Joseph Fauria
RD3. Mike Gillislee

If we're in a position to take Johnathan Hankins he'd be an absolute slam dunk, but I really feel that he's a top half of the first round selection and that means he'll be out of our range. As much as we have all grown tired of Jermichael, he was given a contract extension, it's likely he won't be moved, and we have talent at the position so it just doesn't make sense to invest another pick there. I have confidence in Alex Green, and while I definitely want to invest a pick at RB position I am not sure if I'd do it in round three. The absence of selecting a center is something I'd look at, and the free safety position as well.

princefielder28
10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Scott's most recent mock draft has us taking Marcus Lattimore...no thank you on a first round running back

TimmG6376
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah Green has been good enough to convince me that RB is not high on the list. Though after preseason I was concerned. Athletic ILB to go along with Bishop would be a huge boost for this defense. Interior OL, FS, or even going back to the DL well again is not out of the question IMO. I know they just invested a bunch of picks there and I like both Worthy and Daniels, but Pickett's days at DE are numbered. He's better served rotating at NT with Raji.

Jim Jim
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I think having a capable runner is sorely needed. I'm not giving up on Alex Green yet, but just the fact that an aging Cedric Benson was able to give such a different look on offense speaks to it.

I think offensive line depth is also a given. Probably safety too.

J-Mike88
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Scott's most recent mock draft has us taking Marcus Lattimore...no thank you on a first round running back
If that wasn't proof that this team is f**** injury-jinxed, than nothing is.

Poor Lattimore.

But you're right, as often as RB's go down with injuries, that alone is reason enough not to draft a RB at #1. It's not like the olden days.

BloodBrother
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
They definitely could use a more dynamic RB, but I still want to see them continue to work on the defense

I'm really starting to like the future they have in the secondary. Maybe could use another Safety, but I'm liking the depth at CB. Tramon is still in his prime, and they have Shields, Davon House and Casey Hayward who are all 25 or younger and showing promise. Need to keep adding to that front 7 IMO

they need to find their ILB all around stud who can do it all. Perry may be the answer at OLB opposite Clay, but adding another OLB should also continue to be a priority. Just keep adding to that LB corps. More Dlineman, especially a NT since Pickett is old and they are better with Raji being able to get some rest to keep him fresh for the games

ILB, OLB, DL, RB. One of those is what I want to see with their 1st round pick. As always, BPA(hopefully it's somebody at one of those positions)

oh yea a Center to hah. Saturday has been soft as **** and has been worthless in the run game/run blocking

princefielder28
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
One name I really like for us at center is Mario Benavides. He's proven to be a plus blocker in the running game and does a nice job in pass protection as well. I'm also a big fan of all the experience he brings to the table.

J-Mike88
11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
they need to find their ILB all around stud who can do it all.
This is the thing that pisses me off. We have lost Bishop in pre-season game 1, and DJ Smith in week 6, both season-enders. Two basically-starting ILB's.

Meanwhile Patrick Willis and Novorro Bowman keep coming up healthy time & time again despite being all over the field, even special teams.
And there's still Briggs & Urlacher. So is Peppers, Peanut Tillman.

Is the water different in Green Bay?
Do we feed our defense a different type of vitamin than those teams as our guys go down all the time?

Ed Reed and the 49ers & Seahawk DBs keep leading with heads, no neck injuries. But Jonathon Stewart leaps over Nick Collins, taps his helmet, and Nick's career ends from a neck?

TimmG6376
11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately it is not likely that we'll get a chance at Teo or Mosely.

Anyone have thoughts on VT ILB Bruce Taylor? I'm thinking he'll be available in the mid to late rounds.

bigboiajhawk
11-21-2012, 12:12 AM
For ILB the guy I really like is Jordan Campbell. He is out of USC, workout warrior type, but a guy that makes plays. He currently plays at New Mexico Highlands. I would bet money that this guy goes earlier in the draft rather than later, as he will put up 30+ reps of 225 and run a 4.5 -4.69 40 yd dash.

I just love his passion and intensity for the game. I could legitimately see this guy go in round 2 or 3.

5DgDePoVAjk

princefielder28
11-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Watching the Nebraska game today, defensive end Eric Martin has stood out big time...he's a bit undersized at 6'2", 250 pounds but he possesses a tremendous motor, has a good burst off the snap and has even shown the ability to utilize the bull rush...he's been a guy who's always been a DE/OLB tweener in their defense and has stood out on special teams ever since his arrival

bigboiajhawk
11-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Watching the Nebraska game today, defensive end Eric Martin has stood out big time...he's a bit undersized at 6'2", 250 pounds but he possesses a tremendous motor, has a good burst off the snap and has even shown the ability to utilize the bull rush...he's been a guy who's always been a DE/OLB tweener in their defense and has stood out on special teams ever since his arrival

He just killed the Iowa OL today. This is what is so nice about the 3-4....a guy like this probably isn't a 4-3 DE or OLB, but turn him into a 3/4 OLB, and he could be a player. I agree with you, he is the kind of guy that you want on your team.

On another note, I really like Micah Hyde. He is a guy that could be a 4th or 5th round pick, but could make an impact either as a FS or CB.

princefielder28
11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
the kicker class actually looks strong...i nominate Dustin Hopkins

princefielder28
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
if Derek Sherrod's future looks uncertain, health-wise, at year's end, left tackle may be a position the team has no choice but to address.

TimmG6376
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
if Derek Sherrod's future looks uncertain, health-wise, at year's end, left tackle may be a position the team has no choice but to address.

Was just thinking that. Really sucks that it is two years in and we haven't even really gotten a chance to see if Sherrod can be that guy.

CheeseKnuckles
12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I was just at WalterFootball and saw his latest mock for us. I was wondering what people think of this.

Rd 1. Keenan Allen, WR
Rd 2. Eddie Lacy, Rb
Rd 3. Dion Sims, TE

I would really like to see us draft Dline/Oline in the first. Also I really like Zach Ertz.

Dream Scenario Jake Matthews falls to us and we trade back up and get Gio Benard.

princefielder28
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I was just at WalterFootball and saw his latest mock for us. I was wondering what people think of this.

Rd 1. Keenan Allen, WR
Rd 2. Eddie Lacy, Rb
Rd 3. Dion Sims, TE

I would really like to see us draft Dline/Oline in the first. Also I really like Zach Ertz.

Dream Scenario Jake Matthews falls to us and we trade back up and get Gio Benard.

I like Eddie Lacy quite a bit (more than I liked Mark Ingram as a prospect) but I'm not too excited about the other selection. If Allen is there in round one then he's a tremendous value, but receiver is probably the last position we need to address on this team, especially given some of the significant holes this team has. Left tackle and center need to be addressed along the offensive line and we still need re-enforcements upfront on the defensive line and could use an additional pass rusher.

J-Mike88
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I like Eddie Lacy quite a bit (more than I liked Mark Ingram as a prospect) but I'm not too excited about the other selection. If Allen is there in round one then he's a tremendous value, but receiver is probably the last position we need to address on this team, especially given some of the significant holes this team has. Left tackle and center need to be addressed along the offensive line and we still need re-enforcements upfront on the defensive line and could use an additional pass rusher.
Yeah we have good WR's ready to play now, who can't get balls thrown to them, or even get in.

SuperPacker
12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Some guys I like:

Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma
Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Jonathan Cooper, OG/C, North Carolina
Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut
Quanterus Smith, OLB, Western Kentucky
David Amerson, FS, North Carolina State
Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia

Was just thinking that. Really sucks that it is two years in and we haven't even really gotten a chance to see if Sherrod can be that guy.

I doubt we'd draft a tackle in the first round without seeing Sherrod play first.

I'm not really a huge fan of Bernard and i'm not sure why everyone likes him so much.

CheeseKnuckles
12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I've been sitting around looking at the draft (Broke my foot)

I put together a little wish list for the 1st three rounds.

Rd. 1 - Jake Matthews OT - I know we have Sherrod and Newhouse at LT, but if this EDS experiment works we need to soldify the O-Line. I just don't have faith in either guy right now. Sherrod's development has been hampered and we don't know what will be coming back.

Alternate pick: Terrance Williams, Wr or David Amerson, S/CB

Rd. 2 - Joseph Randle, RB - I'm not sure Randle would be available where we might pick in round two, but I have this feeling he might drop. It seems his popularity has dropped a little bit.

Alternate Pick: William Gholston, DE or Zach Ertz, TE

Rd. 3 - Quinton Patton - Just like the speed this guy shows. Good route runner as well.

Alternate pick: Margus Hunt, DE or Kenjon Barner, RB

Sorry I'm bored...

SuperPacker
12-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't think any of those guys will be available where you drafted them. Would be nice though.

I'll have my own little fantasy draft:

Round 1 - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee - This guy is a stud. He's basically Randall Cobb but 6'2 and a legit #1 receiver. He'll probbly end up going top 15, but it's nice to dream.

*Trade back into the first (next years first and this years second)*

Round 1 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - Another stud. Already better than Jermichael Finley and with Patterson as well, our offense would be crazy.

Round 3 - Khaled Holmes, C, USC - Not overly athletic or stong, but would fit in our offense and we need a center.

CheeseKnuckles
12-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't think any of those guys will be available where you drafted them. Would be nice though.

I'll have my own little fantasy draft:

Round 1 - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee - This guy is a stud. He's basically Randall Cobb but 6'2 and a legit #1 receiver. He'll probbly end up going top 15, but it's nice to dream.

*Trade back into the first (next years first and this years second)*

Round 1 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - Another stud. Already better than Jermichael Finley and with Patterson as well, our offense would be crazy.

Round 3 - Khaled Holmes, C, USC - Not overly athletic or stong, but would fit in our offense and we need a center.

Yeah thats why I said "wish list", a guy can hope right? I like your first two selections, but not a big fan of Holmes.

SuperPacker
12-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah thats why I said "wish list", a guy can hope right? I like your first two selections, but not a big fan of Holmes.

Yeah, I didn't really know who to pick there. I was thinking about Kenjon Barner there as well though.

CheeseKnuckles
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Whats your opinion on Sheldon Richardson and Cj Mosley... I've seen both of those players mocked to us as well. Both play postions we could use.

TimmG6376
12-21-2012, 09:04 PM
CJ Mosley is going back to school.

SuperPacker
12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Whats your opinion on Sheldon Richardson and Cj Mosley... I've seen both of those players mocked to us as well. Both play postions we could use.

I really like sheldon richardson. athletic defensive lineman who reguarly disrupts the backfield. probably better suited to a 4-3, but so was jerel worthy.

i'm not sure how much we need him though. we have raji, worthy, neal, daniels and wilson who are all relatively young.

princefielder28
12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
I really like sheldon richardson. athletic defensive lineman who reguarly disrupts the backfield. probably better suited to a 4-3, but so was jerel worthy.

i'm not sure how much we need him though. we have raji, worthy, neal, daniels and wilson who are all relatively young.

We lack a guy who is disruptive on the defensive line and Capers doesn't have his ends necessarily line up in a traditional five technique along our line so a guy like Richardson could serve some value for us. With that said I don't think he'll be available anyways; could easily see him off the board in the top 20.

princefielder28
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Here's a response I made to a mock draft giving us Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

The Packers appear to be set on releasing Jermichael Finley, but I don't think that changes how much they truly desire a new tight end for the team. McCarthy's offense has always been centered around the receivers and the tight end position, when the offense is running best, is more of a niche position. The team will return with DJ Williams, Tom Crabtree, Ryan Taylor, and Brandon Bostick, who has gotten high marks on the practice squad, and I can almost guarantee they'll be more than thrilled with those four as their options for next season.

The running back position gets a ton of criticism and it will likely be addressed during the draft but I don't see the first round being the time.

The offensive line has had issues at times, but they seem to be figuring things out with Lang lining up at LG, Evan Dietrich-Smith at C, Josh Sitton at RG, and Don Barclay at RT (Bulaga will also be returning next season). Marshall Newhouse at LT might be replaced or the team may even go with a competition between Bulaga and Sherrod next season to see if one of them can beat him out.

The defensive line could certainly stand to apply more pressure. BJ Raji is obviously the anchor along the line. Ryan Pickett is at the end of his career so I'm guessing he'll be out next year. Youngsters Mike Neal, Jerel Worthy, and Mike Daniels have shown ability at times but have been far from consistent performers when they actually see the field. CJ Wilson will battle for a spot next year as well. I could see an addition here as well, but I don't see the team feeling it's urgent enough to go early with it given all the youth.

Linebackers seem fairly set for next season with Matthews, Bishop, Hawk, and Perry likely being the starters (assuming everyone recovers from their injuries). Brad Jones has played well inside for the team. Erik Walden and Dezman Moses have had their bright spots throughout the season. Ultimately I could see them going for another pass rushing backer in round one.

In the secondary Casey Hayward, Sam Shields, and Davon House have proven to be dependable on the field when healthy, and factoring in Tramon Williams, the team is set at corner moving forward. The safety position might be the most shaky position on the team with Morgan Burnett having his good and bad weeks along with the youth of MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian. I feel the safety position should and could get a look in round one. They desperately need a difference maker at the position.

Ranking the Packers' top needs

1. Safety
2. Left Tackle
3. Outside Linebacker
4. Running Back
5. Defensive Line

SuperPacker
01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Thoughts on the Forum Mock I just did?

#27 - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
#59 - Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
#107 - Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut
#123 - Montori Hughes, NT, Tennessee-Martin
#132 - Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
#134 - Micah Hyde, FS, Iowa
#155 - Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
#187 - Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

I'll give some explanation:

Cordarrelle Patterson - BPA, imo and is kind of a need with Jennings looking more and more likely to leave this offseason. Unbelievable talent as a receiver, return man AND running back. Just an amazing offensive weapon. Think of a 6'2 Percy Harvin.

Giovani Bernard - Wasn't really planning on taking a running back, but my opinion has changed on Bernard. I think he's the best back in this class and great value at the end of the second round.

Trevardo Williams - Our very own Bruce Irvin. Nick Perry is solid and I still have high hopes for him, but Trevardo is a different player and would be brought in when we're looking for some extra speed in pass rush situations.

Montari Hughes - Talented, big nose tackle, but off the field issues got him kicked out of Tennessee. Would be the next big guy after Raji assuming Pickett is gone this offseason.

Gavin Escobar - I traded Jermichael for a 5th lol. Good saying as it's either trade him or cut him. Escobar is a dynamic receiver from the TE position so I couldn't miss the chance to get him in the 5th round. Could end up going on the 2nd day of the draft.

Micah Hyde - Corner converted to safety. Good ball skills, good tackler, good size/speed. Very solid player that would battle for backup behind Burnett and possibly a starting role once Woodson moves out of safety.

Xavier Nixon - I didn't like any of the center's available, and we have EDS who is (kind of) serviceable at worst. Went with Nixon cause of the potential (and partly because we share the same first name) and hopefully we can move Barclay to guard to create more depth.

Caleb Sturgis - Mason Crosby. Nuff said.

J-Mike88
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Are there any stud kickers like a Blair Walsh or Greg Zuerlein?
I'd be in favor of an earlier pick for someone like those guys if so....

RockJock07
01-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Does Barrett Jones do anything for you guys. The Packers have a need at Center and Jones could even go to Guard if need be.

He pretty versatile which TT likes in his offensive linemen.

princefielder28
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Does Barrett Jones do anything for you guys. The Packers have a need at Center and Jones could even go to Guard if need be.

He pretty versatile which TT likes in his offensive linemen.

I am a huge fan of Jones and if we were able to add him, he'd help stabilize the middle of our line, but given some of our other higher needs at left tackle, depth along the defensive front and we'll probably take a receiver early too.

Mario Benavides is a center prospect that I like for the middle rounds.

CheeseKnuckles
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
I am a huge fan of Jones and if we were able to add him, he'd help stabilize the middle of our line, but given some of our other higher needs at left tackle, depth along the defensive front and we'll probably take a receiver early too.

Mario Benavides is a center prospect that I like for the middle rounds.

I like Mario Benavides as well. First round I think they need to keep drafting for their front 7 defensively. We desperately need an upgrade at ILB over Hawk. I know Ogeltree is an athletic ILB, but I haven't seen him play so I don't know if he would help us or not.

I think the Pack go Oline/Dline/LB in the first round and WR in the 2nd.

These are some of my favs per round they will probably be drafted

Rd. 1 Jake Matthews,OT/Alec Ogeltree, ILB/DeAndre Hopkins, WR
Rd. 2 Aaron Dobson, WR/Sylvester Williams, DE/Eddie Lacy, RB/Phillip Thomas, S/Margus Hunt, DE
Rd. 3 Mario Benavides, C/Mike Gillislee, RB/Quinton Patton, WR
Rd. 4 Micah Hyde, CB/Johnathon Franklin, RB/ Brandon Williams, NT

Anybody like any of these player or know anything on them?

princefielder28
01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
I like Mario Benavides as well. First round I think they need to keep drafting for their front 7 defensively. We desperately need an upgrade at ILB over Hawk. I know Ogeltree is an athletic ILB, but I haven't seen him play so I don't know if he would help us or not.

I think the Pack go Oline/Dline/LB in the first round and WR in the 2nd.

These are some of my favs per round they will probably be drafted

Rd. 1 Jake Matthews,OT/Alec Ogeltree, ILB/DeAndre Hopkins, WR
Rd. 2 Aaron Dobson, WR/Sylvester Williams, DE/Eddie Lacy, RB/Phillip Thomas, S/Margus Hunt, DE
Rd. 3 Mario Benavides, C/Mike Gillislee, RB/Quinton Patton, WR
Rd. 4 Micah Hyde, CB/Johnathon Franklin, RB/ Brandon Williams, NT

Anybody like any of these player or know anything on them?

Round One: Jake Matthews is going back to school and in the 2014 draft he'll probably be a top 10 selection...Ogletree is extremely athletic and would provide us with more range at the inside linebacker spot; having Bishop back next season will help us considerably there...Hopkins is my favorite receiver in the entire draft and if we could land him I'd be excited

Round Two: Dobson is a mid day three selection at this point, not a guy who will go early...Williams has high potential given his size and athletic ability but he was neutralized far too often this season for someone with his talent...Eddie Lacy is my favorite back in this draft and he'd be a great addition to our offense, a three down back...Thomas would provide us with the center field type safety that we need and he's more physical than he's given credit for...Margus Hunt is a look like Tarzan play like Jane prospect; he's great getting off the bus but he may be nothing more than a special teams player and rotational guy

Round Three: Benavides is a guy we discussed above, one of the top centers in this draft...Gillislee is a change of pace back, which we have in Harris currently so I'm not seeing a fit...Patton fits our mold of receiver that TT seems to target so I could definitely see him being selected by us

Round Four: Hyde will make the transition to safety in the NFL and I like his fit there as a center field type...Franklin was extremely productive at UCLA and I like what he brings to the field, underrated prospect...Williams is a guy who will be selected in the second round IMO; a massive and disruptive force along the defensive line

CheeseKnuckles
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Round One: Jake Matthews is going back to school and in the 2014 draft he'll probably be a top 10 selection...Ogletree is extremely athletic and would provide us with more range at the inside linebacker spot; having Bishop back next season will help us considerably there...Hopkins is my favorite receiver in the entire draft and if we could land him I'd be excited

Round Two: Dobson is a mid day three selection at this point, not a guy who will go early...Williams has high potential given his size and athletic ability but he was neutralized far too often this season for someone with his talent...Eddie Lacy is my favorite back in this draft and he'd be a great addition to our offense, a three down back...Thomas would provide us with the center field type safety that we need and he's more physical than he's given credit for...Margus Hunt is a look like Tarzan play like Jane prospect; he's great getting off the bus but he may be nothing more than a special teams player and rotational guy

Round Three: Benavides is a guy we discussed above, one of the top centers in this draft...Gillislee is a change of pace back, which we have in Harris currently so I'm not seeing a fit...Patton fits our mold of receiver that TT seems to target so I could definitely see him being selected by us

Round Four: Hyde will make the transition to safety in the NFL and I like his fit there as a center field type...Franklin was extremely productive at UCLA and I like what he brings to the field, underrated prospect...Williams is a guy who will be selected in the second round IMO; a massive and disruptive force along the defensive line

Nice breakdown... so maybe I would like to see it go like this

Ogeltree
Thomas
Patton
Franklin

From what I have read I think Thomas could be a special player

princefielder28
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice breakdown... so maybe I would like to see it go like this

Ogeltree
Thomas
Patton
Franklin

From what I have read I think Thomas could be a special player

I'd be pretty excited about that draft class...Thomas has the ball skills we currently lack from the safety position but I fear the coaching staff is happy about our options back there currently

CheeseKnuckles
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Ogeltree and Thomas would also add some much needed speed to the D. TT does seem to like his safeties from smaller schools (Collins/McMillian). Just saying I guess :)

J-Mike88
01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
We need a little but of a physical presence in the D-Backfield.

princefielder28
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
we are officially the 26th overall pick

princefielder28
01-14-2013, 08:33 PM
just did a mock and gave the Packers Stanford TE Zach Ertz in the first round

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55251

Zycho32
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
So out of the desired guys at LB, either inside or outside, who has genuine cover skills?

...and just how good are the TEs who seem to be projected to fall to usd in the 1st Round?

SuperPacker
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Some guys I like for our positions of need:

RB
Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
Spencer Ware, LSU
Christine Michael, Texas A&M

WR
Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

TE
Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State

OT
Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
Travis Long, Oregon
Menelik Watson, Florida State
Reid Fragel, Ohio State

C
Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
Mario Benavides, Louisville

DT
John Jenkins, Georgia
Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern State
Montori Hughes, Tennessee-Martin

OLB
Jarvis Jones, Georgia (if his injury causes him to drop)
Tank Carradine, Florida State
Michael Buchanan, Illinois
Trevardo Williams, Connecticut

ILB
Arthur Brown, Kansas State
Alec Ogletree, Georgia
Zaviar Gooden, Missouri

S
Duke Williams, Nevada
Micah Hyde, Iowa
David Amerson, North Carolina State
Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

CheeseKnuckles
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Some guys I like for our positions of need:

Bolded the guys I also like and added a few names

RB
Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
Spencer Ware, LSU
Christine Michael, Texas A&M

No Eddie Lacey?

WR
Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Aaron Dobson/Quinton Patton

TE
Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State

Zach Ertz/Zach Sudfeld(spelling)

OT
Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
Travis Long, Oregon
Reid Fragel, Ohio State

C
Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
Mario Benavides, Louisville

DT
John Jenkins, Georgia
Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern State
Montori Hughes, Tennessee-Martin

OLB
Jarvis Jones, Georgia (if his injury causes him to drop)
Tank Carradine, Florida State
Michael Buchanan, Illinois
Trevardo Williams, Connecticut

ILB
Arthur Brown, Kansas State
Alec Ogletree, Georgia
Zaviar Gooden, Missouri

Kevin Minter?

S
Duke Williams, Nevada
Micah Hyde, Iowa
David Amerson, North Carolina State
Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

Kenny Vacarro/Thomas Phillips

SuperPacker
01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Eddie Lacy - Not a huge fan. A lot of hype after the NC game which was over the top. Not a home run threat type back which would be better for this offense.

Aaron Dobson - Like him, but don't know if he'll have ability to separate in pro's cause he struggled at Marshall. If it was a later pick, then yes.

Quinton Patton - Same as Dobson really. A guy who I think will go higher than where I value him.

Zach Ertz - Prefer the first 3 guys I listed and wouldn't want him where he's being projected atm. Don't think he has the potential to be as dominating as Eifert, Escobar and to an extent, Kelce.

Kevin Minter - Speed would be the main thing i'd look for in a linebacker. It's what AJ Hawk lacks and what we need out of our linebackers.

Kenny Vacarro - Where he's being projected atm, no way. Not a fan and his tackling is poor. If it was the second then i'd accept it, but still not in love with him.

Just completely forgot about Thomas. My bad.

princefielder28
01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
OT
Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
Travis Long, Oregon
Reid Fragel, Ohio State

It's actually Kyle Long, not Travis...with Watson and Fragel they're better suited for the right side so I don't see much of a fit

SuperPacker
01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
OT
Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
Travis Long, Oregon
Reid Fragel, Ohio State

It's actually Kyle Long, not Travis...with Watson and Fragel they're better suited for the right side so I don't see much of a fit

I'm not sure why that would be. They both have the athleticism to make the switch assuming they work at it.

princefielder28
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure why that would be. They both have the athleticism to make the switch assuming they work at it.

Watson is heavy-footed, not a good quality for the left side, and Fragel may be athletic, converting from tight end, but that doesn't automatically make you a candidate for the left side

J-Mike88
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
When evaluating prospects, 2 long-time scouts can see something different in a kid that others don't. Obviously.
Here's my question about these prospects, who nobody knows what their future will hold.
We need to get more physical on defense. I think that's obvious to everyone now.

Which of these ILB's and Safety's would never be accused of shying away from contact? Who are the guy's who lay the wood anytime they get a chance?

princefielder28
01-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Which of these ILB's and Safety's would never be accused of shying away from contact? Who are the guy's who lay the wood anytime they get a chance?

ILB

Kevin Minter
Kevin Reddick
AJ Klein

S

Matt Elam
Eric Reid
DJ Swearing

At the safety position I feel we need someone who can play center field more so than come up and make a hit...we have enough in-the-box safeties as is

J-Mike88
01-19-2013, 07:35 AM
ILB

Kevin Minter
Kevin Reddick
AJ Klein

S

Matt Elam
Eric Reid
DJ Swearing

Did you watch enough NC State games to know how you would have classified Terrell Manning? I didn't see him all year on defense so I don't know.
Teddy liked him a lot apparently.
Is he the type?

princefielder28
01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Did you watch enough NC State games to know how you would have classified Terrell Manning? I didn't see him all year on defense so I don't know.
Teddy liked him a lot apparently.
Is he the type?

I didn't see enough on Manning...I thought Audie Cole was actually their greatest enforcer on that NC State defense and most of what I knew about Manning and his progression came from my discussions with Bob McGinn

J-Mike88
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Do you guys agree that taking an OLB in the top 3 rounds is not wise considering this guy: http://packersinsider.com/?p=5243

ILB is far more important. After Bishop, we just have bodies there. No playmaking ability. No thumpers. Hawk is on skates half the time.
He's never been close to a difference-maker. Rarely makes big plays such as Ints or hits for fumbles. We've been waiting though.......

princefielder28
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Do you guys agree that taking an OLB in the top 3 rounds is not wise considering this guy: http://packersinsider.com/?p=5243

ILB is far more important. After Bishop, we just have bodies there. No playmaking ability. No thumpers. Hawk is on skates half the time.
He's never been close to a difference-maker. Rarely makes big plays such as Ints or hits for fumbles. We've been waiting though.......

I saw an article today where a scout likened Perry to Vernon Gholston...i don't necessarily agree with that but I agree in the sense where Perry will never be much a pass rusher, solid run defender though...I would like to add another impact inside linebacker but I don't feel we need to go early with the position

princefielder28
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Taylor Cooper (Richmond) and Earl Wolff (North Carolina State) are two safeties to keep an eye on from this point forward...both guys received high praise during the Shrine Bowl week of practices

Terron Armstead (Arkansas - Pine Bluff) showed ability as a left tackle...another potential third day guy we may be looking at

roughrider30
01-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I saw an article today where a scout likened Perry to Vernon Gholston...i don't necessarily agree with that but I agree in the sense where Perry will never be much a pass rusher, solid run defender though...I would like to add another impact inside linebacker but I don't feel we need to go early with the position

I saw this article as well, and the comparison was based before he played an NFL game. It went on to say he has already surpassed anything Gholston has done in the league. It mentioned Gholston played like he had no hands, which is unlike how Perry has looked in his limited action.

I do think you cannot have enough pass rushers on a team, and I would love not to see Waldon back on the field again. Drafting another OLB early wouldn't be giving up on Perry IMO, it would be adding another body that can get to the QB. It could also give Capers some new looks he can use.

bigboiajhawk
01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Alright, so I am going to go through the 53 man roster with draft picks (only 7 draft picks - but we will probably get another 4th or 5th rounder)

QB - Arod, Coleman - (2)
RB - Starks, Harris, Green - (3)
FB - Kuhn - (1)
WR - Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, Denard Robinson - (5)
TE - Finley, Williams, Quarless, and Taylor - (4)
OT - Bulaga/Sherrod/Newhouse at LT Chris Faulk/Don Barclay at RT - (5)
OG - Lang, Hugh Thornton, Sitton, Van Roten - (4)
C - Jonathan Cooper, EDS - (2)

Offense - 26

DE - Pickett, Neal, Worthy, William Gholston, CJ Wilson, Daniels - 6
DT - BJ Raji - (1)
OLB - CM3, Perry, Moses, Eric Martin - (4)
ILB - Bishop, Jones, Smith, Manning - (4)
CB - Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush - (5)
FS - Burnett - (1)
SS - Woodson, McMillian, Richardson - (3)

Defense - 24

LS - Goode - (1)
K - Sturgis - (1)
P - Masthay - (1)

Special Teams - 3

Alright, so recap of above:

Jennings goes, Finley stays - I don't care about a JS online report that says Packers are shopping him, I don't buy it. Notice how he played significantly better at the end of the season. The dude is a serious talent and is young.

Hawk goes, Woodson stays - Even though Hawk probably played his best this last year, he is a two down player that costs too much. Woodson probably gets a 3 year deal that reduces his cost.

Draft:

1st Round - Jonathan Cooper, C, UNC - There will be a theme to the early rounds. I am so sick of seeing ARod get beat up, fix the freaking problem. With Lang/Cooper/Sitton, that completely solidifies the OL. Not to mention the player. Cooper helped pave the way for an above average runner that will get overdrafted. Call it an overreaction pick, but I really don't care. A better offensive line = a better Aaron Rodgers, and I am certain of that.

2nd Round - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU - Road Grader who was out all year with an injury. He could easily have been a 1st rounder if he was healthy. Big dude, but athletic. I am really not seeing a LT prospect worthy of a late 1st, and after the 1st round, I don't see many good LT prospects other than Long. I see Bulaga/Sherrod/Newhouse battling out for LT. I could also see Fluker in Round 1 and a Center like Frederick in Round 2. Overall, I don't really care, the OL needs to be solidified.

3rd Round - William Gholston, DE, MSU - Another Michigan State product. This is a guy with the height requirement for the 3-4, and will be able to gain good weight to get up to 285-290. I really like the way Gholston stuffs the run. This gives the Packers the flexibility and players needed for the 3-4. Not a need, but Pickett is getting up there in age, Neal has only one season to hang his hat on, Worthy got hurt and was outplayed by Daniels, Daniels is a pure pass rusher but tough competitor, and CJ Wilson was a good run stopper. It is time to solidify the DL, but I thought our DL was overmatched all year.

4th Round - Denard Robinson - WR/RB - Michigan - He probably will go higher than this, but I like the idea of either him or Kenjon Barner being drafted to the Pack. Our top 3 WR's are very good, but after that, the talent level drops. Adding another WR is a must, but I don't think we need to hit up the early rounds for one.

5th Round - Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois - Just a depth pickup here. Again, emphasis on the OL.

6th Round - Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida - Need a Kicker to be drafted, or a different kicker to be brought in to compete against Crosby. Crosby is a good person, but has cost the Packers opportunities to play in overtimes.

7th Round - Eric Martin, OLB, Nebraska - I cannot stand Walden, to me he is like Jarret Bush but not as bad as Bush. He is just a guy that when he is on the field, I know we don't have our best defense on the field. Thus, I think we will draft an OLB at some point.

* To me this draft should be simple, as it was last year: Fix the problems. Our problems were in the trenches, more of which the OL was awful and Arod did not feel comfortable in the pocket.

roughrider30
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Alright, so I am going to go through the 53 man roster with draft picks (only 7 draft picks - but we will probably get another 4th or 5th rounder)

QB - Arod, Coleman - (2)
RB - Starks, Harris, Green - (3)
FB - Kuhn - (1)
WR - Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, Denard Robinson - (5)
TE - Finley, Williams, Quarless, and Taylor - (4)
OT - Bulaga/Sherrod/Newhouse at LT Chris Faulk/Don Barclay at RT - (5)
OG - Lang, Hugh Thornton, Sitton, Van Roten - (4)
C - Jonathan Cooper, EDS - (2)

Offense - 26

DE - Pickett, Neal, Worthy, William Gholston, CJ Wilson, Daniels - 6
DT - BJ Raji - (1)
OLB - CM3, Perry, Moses, Eric Martin - (4)
ILB - Bishop, Jones, Smith, Manning - (4)
CB - Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush - (5)
FS - Burnett - (1)
SS - Woodson, McMillian, Richardson - (3)

Defense - 24

LS - Goode - (1)
K - Sturgis - (1)
P - Masthay - (1)

Special Teams - 3

Alright, so recap of above:

Jennings goes, Finley stays - I don't care about a JS online report that says Packers are shopping him, I don't buy it. Notice how he played significantly better at the end of the season. The dude is a serious talent and is young.

Hawk goes, Woodson stays - Even though Hawk probably played his best this last year, he is a two down player that costs too much. Woodson probably gets a 3 year deal that reduces his cost.

Draft:

1st Round - Jonathan Cooper, C, UNC - There will be a theme to the early rounds. I am so sick of seeing ARod get beat up, fix the freaking problem. With Lang/Cooper/Sitton, that completely solidifies the OL. Not to mention the player. Cooper helped pave the way for an above average runner that will get overdrafted. Call it an overreaction pick, but I really don't care. A better offensive line = a better Aaron Rodgers, and I am certain of that.

2nd Round - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU - Road Grader who was out all year with an injury. He could easily have been a 1st rounder if he was healthy. Big dude, but athletic. I am really not seeing a LT prospect worthy of a late 1st, and after the 1st round, I don't see many good LT prospects other than Long. I see Bulaga/Sherrod/Newhouse battling out for LT. I could also see Fluker in Round 1 and a Center like Frederick in Round 2. Overall, I don't really care, the OL needs to be solidified.

3rd Round - William Gholston, DE, MSU - Another Michigan State product. This is a guy with the height requirement for the 3-4, and will be able to gain good weight to get up to 285-290. I really like the way Gholston stuffs the run. This gives the Packers the flexibility and players needed for the 3-4. Not a need, but Pickett is getting up there in age, Neal has only one season to hang his hat on, Worthy got hurt and was outplayed by Daniels, Daniels is a pure pass rusher but tough competitor, and CJ Wilson was a good run stopper. It is time to solidify the DL, but I thought our DL was overmatched all year.

4th Round - Denard Robinson - WR/RB - Michigan - He probably will go higher than this, but I like the idea of either him or Kenjon Barner being drafted to the Pack. Our top 3 WR's are very good, but after that, the talent level drops. Adding another WR is a must, but I don't think we need to hit up the early rounds for one.

5th Round - Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois - Just a depth pickup here. Again, emphasis on the OL.

6th Round - Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida - Need a Kicker to be drafted, or a different kicker to be brought in to compete against Crosby. Crosby is a good person, but has cost the Packers opportunities to play in overtimes.

7th Round - Eric Martin, OLB, Nebraska - I cannot stand Walden, to me he is like Jarret Bush but not as bad as Bush. He is just a guy that when he is on the field, I know we don't have our best defense on the field. Thus, I think we will draft an OLB at some point.

* To me this draft should be simple, as it was last year: Fix the problems. Our problems were in the trenches, more of which the OL was awful and Arod did not feel comfortable in the pocket.

I don't have a problem with much of this, just hate the Robinson pick. All I've heard so far is that he will not be an NFL WR.

J-Mike88
01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
I need to see more upgrade at ILB.

princefielder28
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Johnathan Cyprien (Florida International) is quickly becoming out of my favorite prospects...a safety who is wiling to come up and make a hit and also can play deep coverage...there's a mixed perception on where he may go, but if he has the potential to be a difference maker i think round two is not out of the question

Current Safety Rankings

1. Kenny Vaccaro (Texas)
2. Johnathan Cyprien (Florida International)
3. Phillip Thomas (Fresno State)
4. Duke Williams (Nevada)
5. Eric Reid (Louisiana State)

SuperPacker
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I like Cyprien. Exactly what we need at safety.

bigboiajhawk
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Okay, maybe I am just missing something, but I do not find safety as a need for the Packers. I guess that is unless the Packers get rid of Woodson (something I do not see).

1) Morgan Burnett was one interception that went through his hands and into Calvin Johnson's from a Pro Bowl type year. He led the team in tackles (not a good thing) and he is young and getting more experienced in the 3-4. Next year should be his year to make the Pro Bowl.

2) I think Woodson will be back with a new contract. His impact was immediate when he came back to the team. I think he still has good football ahead of him.

3) Between Richardson and McMillian the Packers have two heavy hitters from the safety spot. They are both young, and McMillian stayed healthy throughout the season. A good offseason should help both of them.

For me (as I said in my really early mock draft) the key is in the trenches. When we got beat by teams it was because we were dominated at the LOS. Getting a Center and OT have to be a priority. Maybe the defensive line will progress since most of the guys are relatively young, but I still dont feel comfortable with Pickett's age, Neal's previous history with injuries, and the very average play overall by the DL.

I could see drafting an ILB, and I will probably update my mock draft's in the future to include one since I don't see Hawk having a future in GB, not unless he take a massive paycut. If Hawk isn't there, then we are left with Bishop, Jones, DJ Smith, Manning, and Lattimore - with Bishop and Smith coming back from injuries. I guess the wildcard will be Manning here.

I don't really see RB as a need either. I think with improved OL play (which we kind of saw at the end of the year) our RB's can find the holes in the defense. I like the thunder and lightening combo of Starks and Harris. Alex Green has a full offseason as well to clean up his knee. So, I think we can run with those 3, and maybe we bring Benson back.

CheeseKnuckles
01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Rd.1 Alec Ogletree
Rd.2 Brandon Williams
Rd.3 Johnathan Cyprien
Rd.4 Travis Kelce
Rd.5 Connor Vernon

Rounds 6 and 7... meh don't have any names right meow. These are just players I think would help us out right now. A couple other guys I really like are Quinton Patton (was a favorite prospect of mine and is now tearing up the Senior Bowl practices) and Larry Warford.

SuperPacker
01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Okay, maybe I am just missing something, but I do not find safety as a need for the Packers. I guess that is unless the Packers get rid of Woodson (something I do not see).

1) Morgan Burnett was one interception that went through his hands and into Calvin Johnson's from a Pro Bowl type year. He led the team in tackles (not a good thing) and he is young and getting more experienced in the 3-4. Next year should be his year to make the Pro Bowl.

2) I think Woodson will be back with a new contract. His impact was immediate when he came back to the team. I think he still has good football ahead of him.

3) Between Richardson and McMillian the Packers have two heavy hitters from the safety spot. They are both young, and McMillian stayed healthy throughout the season. A good offseason should help both of them.

All of them are better at strong safety. And Morgan Burnett wasn't near the pro-bowl. He's an average free safety.

SuperPacker
01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Rd.1 Alec Ogletree
Rd.2 Brandon Williams
Rd.3 Johnathan Cyprien
Rd.4 Travis Kelce
Rd.5 Connor Vernon

Rounds 6 and 7... meh don't have any names right meow. These are just players I think would help us out right now. A couple other guys I really like are Quinton Patton (was a favorite prospect of mine and is now tearing up the Senior Bowl practices) and Larry Warford.

The first 4 rounds of this are nice.

bigboiajhawk
01-24-2013, 08:16 PM
All of them are better at strong safety. And Morgan Burnett wasn't near the pro-bowl. He's an average free safety.

Stat Comparison:

Burnett: 123 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 FF, 2 INTs

Dashon Goldson: 69 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 FF, 3 INTs - Pro Bowl

Donte Whitner: 83 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 INT - Pro Bowl

Earl Thomas: 66 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 1 FF, 3 INTs - Pro Bowl

Thomas DeCoud: 76 Tackles, 1 Sack, 0 FF, 6 INTs - Pro Bowl

William Moore: 75 Tackles, 1 Sack, 2 FF, 4 INTs - Pro Bowl

Ed Reed: 58 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 FF, 4 INTs - Pro Bowl

Jairus Bryd: 76 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 4 FF, 5 INTs - Pro Bowl

Eric Berry: 86 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 FF, 1 INT - Pro Bowl

LaRon Landry: 99 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 4 FF, 2 INTs - Pro Bowl

Burnett had a good year stats wise compared to "Pro Bowlers". He will continue to get better. I still only see safety as a need if Woodson is let go. In which case, there are some good safety prospects this year.

J-Mike88
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I want to see Burnett hit some guys hard though... not allow the completion and then tackle them after a long gain.... let's see him get his Ints up a bit though.
Glad he stayed healthy.

I like McMillian's future.

princefielder28
01-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Morgan Burnett's statistics are misleading. Is he a strong tackler? I would say not. The amount of tackles he accumulated is more a reflection on the number of opportunities and the front seven's inability to make plays consistently.

I do not have a ton of confidence in Burnett but I get the sense the coaching staff does so when evaluating our first round pick we need to look at the front seven. Matthews and Perry we be starting on the outside and TT will likely not invest another first rounder in an OLB. Raji will still be around as NT with questions marks at end with a slew of young players. Inside at LB we have Bishop and marginal players. Here's my current big board based off who I feel will be available

1. Kevin Minter (Louisiana State)
2. Jesse Williams (Alabama)
3. Zach Ertz (Stanford)
4. Lane Johnson (Oklahoma)

bigboiajhawk
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Morgan Burnett's statistics are misleading. Is he a strong tackler? I would say not. The amount of tackles he accumulated is more a reflection on the number of opportunities and the front seven's inability to make plays consistently.

I do not have a ton of confidence in Burnett but I get the sense the coaching staff does so when evaluating our first round pick we need to look at the front seven. Matthews and Perry we be starting on the outside and TT will likely not invest another first rounder in an OLB. Raji will still be around as NT with questions marks at end with a slew of young players. Inside at LB we have Bishop and marginal players. Here's my current big board based off who I feel will be available

1. Kevin Minter (Louisiana State)
2. Jesse Williams (Alabama)
3. Zach Ertz (Stanford)
4. Lane Johnson (Oklahoma)

I like Minter and Williams. They would certainly upgrade the defense. Not a fan of Ertz, and I think Johnson has played himself into the top 20 draft picks with the lack of LT talent so we would have to trade up to get him. Minter is the best ILB in the draft and would be a nice fit next to Bishop. I am not a fan of Ogletree, nor do I think TT drafts him with his potential character concerns.

Jesse Williams is a wildcard guy to me. I think he will be there when we pick (but he could also be there in the 2nd round), and he will bench press probably 45+ reps at 225. He certainly has the size. My only problem with him is that he does nothing in terms of pass rush, but he has the size that the 3-4 commands....6'4" 320, strong as an ox....he and Raji could rotate at nose tackle.

Jonathan Jenkins is another guy, but he is a true NT, and that would mean Raji would be a DE.

For a team with solid depth like the Pack....it makes for interesting discussions on who they should draft. I am a proponent of drafting OL early and often, but I could easily see drafting a RB, WR, TE, DE, NT, ILB, S.

SuperPacker
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I'd like to see Derek Sherrod play before we go spending first round picks on offensive tackles.

J-Mike88
01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't see any gigantic deep holes on the roster.... at season's end, our weakest spots were ILB, DL, and Safety IMO.
But we'll get ILB Bishop back, a known good guy.
We'll get Worthy back, but he didn't show what we wanted to see from him, and now he's got an ACL that will keep him out a long time.....
Safety? We'll see about Woodson, and good call on Burnett: he misses a lot of tackles.
I like Jerron McMillian and think this is a player who is going to show big improvement to year 2 & 3. He's not a think, fraile, finesse guy back there, our only one.

I really think Teddy is going to go BPA more than ever this draft. He'll surprise a lot of us I think.
He might even trade up, or back, more than normal.

I'm sure he does, however, realize that the team needs go get tougher, more physical, especially on defense.
Bring in some nasty on D.

SuperPacker
01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Trading back would make sense, IMO. I wouldn't really say we have any 'first round needs' but a lot of medium to small needs. needs. And I love the value from round 2 to 4. Lot's of talented players going to be available around then.

SuperPacker
01-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Brian Schwenke could be our guy at center. He's impressed at the senior bowl this week against some really good interior defensive lineman.

princefielder28
01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Brian Schwenke could be our guy at center. He's impressed at the senior bowl this week against some really good interior defensive lineman.

I have been really impressed by him as well and he's carried it over to the game too. He's gotta be in the 3rd round discussion at this point.

SuperPacker
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
If he was there at our 3rd it should be a no brainer. He could come in and start from day one. Might be that spending our second on him is too much but he won't last until our 3rd, which would be disappointing. We could have to do some moving around to get the guys we need.

bigboiajhawk
01-27-2013, 04:56 PM

He looked pretty good yesterday. The only concern that I had was it seemed liked he had a little trouble with speed, but other than that, he really overpowered guys.

I also became a full believer in Mike Gillislee. That guy does everything: runs hard, runs fast, blocks, and can catch. I don't know where he gets drafted, but he really impressed me.

Stepfan Taylor confirmed to me that he can run against top competition and he has just enough speed. He seems to be a guy that will just pick up 4-5 yards every time he touches it, and then he springs for a 20+ yard run.

Kenjon Barner also confirmed to me that he is not an every down running back, but he is going to be a Darron Sproles type back in the NFL. The guy is so quick

Kyle Long to me really stood out with how much explosion he had and how much he wanted to drive guys off the ball. He is pretty raw, but I really liked what I saw. I have a feeling that Long will impress at Combine, and I wonder if he doesn't sneak into the 1st round.

A draft class of Long, Gillislee, and Schwenke could really change the attitude of the Packers run game. All 3 are 2nd rounders in my eyes, so we would need to do some trading.

Was anyone else disappointed with the North defense yesterday? I mean the DL of the North was stacked, but both Gillislee and Taylor got very good yardage. Maybe it is an indication of how good both of those guys are. I am on board, if we draft an RB, that is should be Gillislee.

I am very sporadic with this, but man, I was just impressed with Gillislee.

Also, like you guys mentioned, it seemed that Cyprien was everywhere on the field. The only thing is, he reminds me so much of McMillian, and I just don't see a need at Safety.

CheeseKnuckles
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Packers are perfectly happy with EDS this coming year.

TimmG6376
01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Packers are perfectly happy with EDS this coming year.

No you are not. I think it is highly likely they do not invest a first day pick in a C.

They will need to replace EDS with another versatile swing guy to backup on the inside though.

CheeseKnuckles
01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
No you are not. I think it is highly likely they do not invest a first day pick in a C.

They will need to replace EDS with another versatile swing guy to backup on the inside though.

I agree an interior lineman should be drafted in the mid-rounds to provide depth.

IMO we will go defense or trade back from the 1st round. I would really like to see some speed at ILB with Bishop so right now Alec Ogletree is a player I think we should look at if available. I am not buying into the TE in the 1st that I see a lot of people mocking to us. Finley will be back this season. Look for TT to pick up another TE in the 3rd or after.

Another player I think TT might like is Lane Johnson. Don't ask me why, just have that feeling. I wouldn't be against that pick either because I don't think Sherrod will ever be the player we all hope because of the injury he had.

CheeseKnuckles
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
He looked pretty good yesterday. The only concern that I had was it seemed liked he had a little trouble with speed, but other than that, he really overpowered guys.

I also became a full believer in Mike Gillislee. That guy does everything: runs hard, runs fast, blocks, and can catch. I don't know where he gets drafted, but he really impressed me.

Stepfan Taylor confirmed to me that he can run against top competition and he has just enough speed. He seems to be a guy that will just pick up 4-5 yards every time he touches it, and then he springs for a 20+ yard run.

Kenjon Barner also confirmed to me that he is not an every down running back, but he is going to be a Darron Sproles type back in the NFL. The guy is so quick

Kyle Long to me really stood out with how much explosion he had and how much he wanted to drive guys off the ball. He is pretty raw, but I really liked what I saw. I have a feeling that Long will impress at Combine, and I wonder if he doesn't sneak into the 1st round.

A draft class of Long, Gillislee, and Schwenke could really change the attitude of the Packers run game. All 3 are 2nd rounders in my eyes, so we would need to do some trading.

Was anyone else disappointed with the North defense yesterday? I mean the DL of the North was stacked, but both Gillislee and Taylor got very good yardage. Maybe it is an indication of how good both of those guys are. I am on board, if we draft an RB, that is should be Gillislee.

I am very sporadic with this, but man, I was just impressed with Gillislee.

Also, like you guys mentioned, it seemed that Cyprien was everywhere on the field. The only thing is, he reminds me so much of McMillian, and I just don't see a need at Safety.

The problem is TT and the coaching staff are going to be perfectly happy going into the next season with our same Oline. The only player I think they would want to upgrade is Marshall Newhouse.

Another think I have thought of and heard mentioned is with Barclay playing well down the stretch. Do they give Buluga a look at LT?

J-Mike88
01-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Not at all. I agree 100% with that.
I think it's clear that the coaches thought they had something in EDS at center when they pulled the plug on Saturday.
Then EDS did pretty good, boosted the running game a bit.

If folks will remember, DuJuan Harris had good numbers vs San Fran, and the OL pass-blocked pretty well too with him at center.

I think the Packers are more than comfortable going forward with EDS at center.

Any mocks with a C as our 1st or 2nd round pick, IMO, are foolish.

CheeseKnuckles
01-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Not at all. I agree 100% with that.
I think it's clear that the coaches thought they had something in EDS at center when they pulled the plug on Saturday.
Then EDS did pretty good, boosted the running game a bit.

If folks will remember, DuJuan Harris had good numbers vs San Fran, and the OL pass-blocked pretty well too with him at center.

I think the Packers are more than comfortable going forward with EDS at center.

Any mocks with a C as our 1st or 2nd round pick, IMO, are foolish.

Don't get me wrong I would be happy with our line without Newhouse. I thought once EDS was plugged the line played much better, but we need a upgrade at the LT postion.

People just annoy me with their mocks giving us Barrett Jones or some other center type player in the 1st.

J-Mike88
01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Don't get me wrong I would be happy with our line without Newhouse. I thought once EDS was plugged the line played much better, but we need a upgrade at the LT postion.

People just annoy me with their mocks giving us Barrett Jones or some other center type player in the 1st.

Will Sherrod ever be back healthy/good enough to be a decent-solid-good-great LT like they expected when they drafted him in the 1st rd?

princefielder28
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Will Sherrod ever be back healthy/good enough to be a decent-solid-good-great LT like they expected when they drafted him in the 1st rd?

I fear Sherrod's injury will never allow him to be the player he could have possibly been coming out of Mississippi State. I think Bulaga needs to be tried out at left tackle one more time just to see if he's an upgrade over Newhouse and it would allow Barclay to see the field.

In terms of EDS, our offensive line did improve with him replacing Saturday, but is that really saying much? Jeff Saturday was horrible and it would've been stunning had EDS gone out and been worse than him. I don't want to make it sound like I'm discounting EDS's ability, but I see him more as a versatile backup rather than a long term starter. There's a handful of centers in this draft who provide experience and physicality that this offensive line needs to help create a more balanced offense for next season and moving forward.

CheeseKnuckles
02-04-2013, 12:07 PM
My Wishlist at this point.

Round 1 - Alec Ogletree, ILB Georgia (6'3, 232)

This is a scouting report I found on Ogletree in the SEC Championship game.

ILB Alec Ogletree* 9
-Great backside pursuit to help make a tackle on third down
-Came all the way across the formation from the backside
-Plays backside contain perfectly so when Yeldon cuts it back he is waiting for a TFL
-Gets flagged for a very iffy roughing the passer penalty, gives Alabama a free first down inside the 5 yard line
-Fills the hole and stops Lacy dead in his tacks right at the goal line, impressive hit
-Sheds Williams block but can’t make the tackle on Yeldon who rumbles for a first down
-Blocked FG bounces right to Ogletree and he was off to the races for a TD
-Out ran everybody else on the field, incredible acceleration
-Violent tackle in the hole, throws Yeldon, and himself, to the turf
-This time takes a violent hit from Yeldon but holds on and take him down
Overall: Ogletree was UGA’s defensive MVP for me, he was all over the field and he both delivered and took some of the hardest hits Ive seen all year. His athleticism is off the charts and if he leaves early for the NFL then you can expect him to go rather high

Alternate picks: Kenny Vaccaro, S/ Lane Johnson, OT/ John Jenkins, NT/DE/Jessie Williams, DE/NT

Round 2 -Jonathan Cyprien, S FIU (6'1, 210)

Alternate picks: Brandon Williams, NT-DE/Quinton Patton, WR/Sylvester Williams, DE/ Kyle Long, OT/OG

Round 3 - Christine Michael, RB Texas A&M (5'11, 220)

Round 4 - Brian Schwenke, C California (6'4, 300)

Round 5 - Marcus Davis, WR Virginia Tech (6'4, 232)/Aaron Mellette, WR Elon (6'4, 220)/ Dan Buckner, WR Arizona (6'4, 215)

I put three different WR options here, I think Davis after the combine will go much higher than 5th round. I like the size all these WRs possess.

Round 6 - Elvis Fisher, OT Missouri (6'5, 300)

Round 7 - Joe Krueger, DE Utah (6'7, 280)

J-Mike88
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Cheese, I will take that exactly.
Right guys and positions IMO.

bigboiajhawk
02-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Round 1 - Alec Ogletree, ILB Georgia (6'3, 232)

Alternate picks: Kenny Vaccaro, S/ Lane Johnson, OT/ John Jenkins, NT/DE/Jessie Williams, DE/NT

Alternate picks: Brandon Williams, NT-DE/Quinton Patton, WR/Sylvester Williams, DE/ Kyle Long, OT/OG

Round 4 - Brian Schwenke, C California (6'4, 300)

Round 5 - Marcus Davis, WR Virginia Tech (6'4, 232)/Aaron Mellette, WR Elon (6'4, 220)/ Dan Buckner, WR Arizona (6'4, 215)

I put three different WR options here, I think Davis after the combine will go much higher than 5th round. I like the size all these WRs possess.

Round 6 - Elvis Fisher, OT Missouri (6'5, 300)

Round 7 - Joe Krueger, DE Utah (6'7, 280)

I really like the 3rd and 4th round picks of Michael and Schwenke. Both guys are really physical and I think Michael has the size/speed ratio that TT looks for in RBs. Notice how Ryan Grant, James Starks, and Alex Green all are about 220 and supposedly all are 4.4 40yard runners (when healthy).

I am really leaning toward drafting a RT and having a 3 man battle for the LT spot. One guy that is a bit intriguing is Menelik Watson out of Florida State.

ag5wLMJ65xU

Lastly, I really like Jordan Campbell as an ILB prospect. He was supposed to be great as USC, but it never happened there. The guy is a freak athletically. He tore up D-2 competition.

qimaRxfhuJ4

J-Mike88
02-09-2013, 07:27 AM

Trying to learn more about Cyprien> http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3270021#post3270021

bigboiajhawk
02-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Trying to learn more about Cyprien> http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3270021#post3270021

Cyprien is going to be a good player. I just dont think the Packers need another Safety. His only knock is that he probably doesn't run under a 4.45. I also think he is more of a SS than a FS - but that is just my opinion. He reminds me of a more in control version of McMillian. I just think with Burnett and McMillian we have our two safeties. Add in Woodson, and now you have 3 guys that can play safety. If anything I think we need more of a FS type player, and the two guys worthy of 1st/2nd round picks are Vaccaro and Reid.

Pack_Attack_4
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
DD is retired, Jennings is a FA and prob wont be back. So what do u think of getting a WR or Playmaking TE in the first. Finly is a FA next year, the guy gets open but he cant catch. I think we get A Rod another wepon so we can still do those 4WR and 5Wr packages. Or u guys think Jordyz,Cobb,Jones, and Finley is enough and we have more glaring needs somewhere else?

princefielder28
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
DD is retired, Jennings is a FA and prob wont be back. So what do u think of getting a WR or Playmaking TE in the first. Finly is a FA next year, the guy gets open but he cant catch. I think we get A Rod another wepon so we can still do those 4WR and 5Wr packages. Or u guys think Jordyz,Cobb,Jones, and Finley is enough and we have more glaring needs somewhere else?

I'd love Zach Ertz or DeAndre Hopkins in round one

J-Mike88
02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
I'd love Zach Ertz or DeAndre Hopkins in round one
I didn't watch that much CFA this year, but I did watch a few Stanford games, and a bunch of Notre Dame games.
I determined that what I saw on the field from ND's Tyler Eifert was better than what I saw in Ertz. They appear to be almost identical in height and weight (6-6, 250), but Eifert looked better to me. At least he was in the games I saw.
And in most rankings I see, he's just a bit higher. Not all but most.
I also factored in the passing of the 2 teams and felt that Ertz has had better passers throwing him the ball.

Are you an anti-Notre Dame guy or why do you ignore Eifert but have Ertz higher?

princefielder28
02-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I didn't watch that much CFA this year, but I did watch a few Stanford games, and a bunch of Notre Dame games.
I determined that what I saw on the field from ND's Tyler Eifert was better than what I saw in Ertz. They appear to be almost identical in height and weight (6-6, 250), but Eifert looked better to me. At least he was in the games I saw.
And in most rankings I see, he's just a bit higher. Not all but most.
I also factored in the passing of the 2 teams and felt that Ertz has had better passers throwing him the ball.

Are you an anti-Notre Dame guy or why do you ignore Eifert but have Ertz higher?

Eifert was always an underwhelming player when I watched Notre Dame this season. He does have the skill set to be good at the next level, but he never wowed me this season. Zach Ertz is a bigger target and while he might not be as good of an in-line blocker as Eifert, he has the ability to split out and be a dangerous player. I actually have Gavin Escobar and Travis Kelce ahead of Eifert as well.

Here's the tight end rankings I posted about two weeks ago...

Tight Ends

1. Zach Ertz :: STANFORD
2. Gavin Escobar :: SAN DIEGO STATE
3. Travis Kelce :: CINCINNATI
4. Tyler Eifert :: NOTRE DAME
5. Vance McDonald :: RICE
6. Jordan Reed :: FLORIDA
7. Dion Sims :: MICHIGAN STATE
8. Michael Williams :: ALABAMA
9. Joseph Fauria :: UCLA
10. Ryan Otten :: SAN JOSE STATE
11. Levine Toilolo :: STANFORD
12. Philip Lutzenkirchen :: AUBURN
13. Nick Kasa :: COLORADO
14. Zach Sudfeld :: NEVADA
15. Jake Stoneburner :: OHIO STATE

Analysis: After Senior Bowl week the tight end class is really all about the top 5 guys at the position. Ertz is a huge, athletic target and will continue in the explosion of tight ends being a dynamic part of the offense in the NFL. Gavin Escobar, Travis Kelce, Tyler Eifert, and Vance McDonald can have a very similar scouting report written of themselves as well, and for my rankings it comes down to players having shown the ability to be effective in game with those skills. Questions might come up with Tyler Eifert, and I am not denying his talent, but every time I watched Notre Dame this year I always waited for him to wow me and I rarely ever saw that. Travis Kelce is the best overall blocker of the top bunch so that makes him slightly more versatile than the other four. Michael Williams isn't the world's greatest pass catcher, but he's an asset for the running game and he knows how to work in the red zone. Overall, more top end talent than we usually see from the tight end position and at least four of the top five will be selected in the first two rounds.

CheeseKnuckles
02-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Let's say these are our only three options at pick 26. Which player would you guys take and why?

Jesse Williams 6'3 320

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/jesse-williams-scouting-report.html#more-23196

or

Alec Ogletree 6'3 234

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/alec-ogletree-scouting-report.html

or

Sylvester Williams 6'3 305

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/01/sylvester-williams-scouting-report/

Nastradamus
02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Ogletree is too good to pass in that situation.

princefielder28
02-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Ogletree would be the guy out of those three but if we can get an inside backer I'd love to see us take Kevin Minter.

J-Mike88
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Williams IMO.

princefielder28
02-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Ogletree got himself a DUI recently so you can take him off the Packers' board in round one.

J-Mike88
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Ogletree got himself a DUI recently so you can take him off the Packers' board in round one.
Yeah the kid has been caught for 3 "stupid" things already..... and they say for every one a star athlete is "caught", he gets away with at least 2... so do the math.

He's not a Packer player.

I want mean guys though now on defense.... we need to get physical.

J-Mike88
02-22-2013, 06:18 PM
From Football Outsiders:

The Packers aren't likely to have as many receiver injuries in 2013 as they had in 2012, so they now can move toward fixing the other reason their offense had some stagnant games last season: their offensive line. Think back to the replacement-ref debacle against Seattle in Week 3: The reason that game was close in the first place was because of the eight sacks Aaron Rodgers took. Yes, Rodgers is always going to find more than his share of sacks while trying to buy extra time, but last season the Packers fell to 31st in our adjusted sack rate.

Jeff Saturday's timely retirement will help, as will Bryan Bulaga's return from a hip fracture, but Green Bay will have to do more to surround stalwart guard Josh Sitton with talented players this offseason. Our game-charting project seems to indicate that most of the problems came from the left side of the line. Left tackle Marshall Newhouse was directly responsible for 17 blown blocks that led to hurries or sacks, and left guard T.J. Lang added another 11 of his own on the inside.

Green Bay's cap situation and organizational philosophy likely will keep it from pursuing an upper-echelon tackle on the free-agent market (even after releasing Charles Woodson), but the Packers could have plenty of acceptable options in the back of the first round. Oklahoma's Lane Johnson and Oregon's Kyle Long are a couple of players with multidimensional backgrounds who could be available that late in the draft. Providing Rodgers the extra second-and-a-half he needs to get back to dominating games would be the biggest improvement Green Bay could make this offseason

PACKmanN
02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Here's my pre-combine mock.

1. TRADE OUT OF THE FIRST INTO THE SECOND. WE GET A 2ND, 3RD, 5TH ROUND PICKS

2a. Xavier Rhodes, S, Florida State

2b. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

3a. Kevin Reddick ILB, North Carolina

3b. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
- I just want this guy in green and gold bad. I LOVE his upside.

4.William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
- A big, long body who could be developed nicely as a 3-4 end.

5a. John Sullen, OG, Auburn

5b. Tavarres King, WR, Georgia

6. Lonnie Pryor, RB/FB, Florida State

7. Aaron Hester, S, UCLA

princefielder28
02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Nick Becton, Virginia Tech, had a very nice showing at the Combine today...an experienced lineman who played left tackle this season, worth a late round look

bigboiajhawk
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Really liking this OL group....

Guys that we wont be able to draft in Round 1:
Joeckel, Fisher, Lane Johnson, Warmack, Cooper

Guys that I like (regardless of Round):
Brian Schwenke, David Quessenberry, Barrett Jones, David Bahktiari, Kyle Long, Menelik Watson, Reid Fragel, and Eric Herman

CheeseKnuckles
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Really liking this OL group....

Guys that we wont be able to draft in Round 1:
Joeckel, Fisher, Lane Johnson, Warmack, Cooper

Guys that I like (regardless of Round):
Brian Schwenke, David Quessenberry, Barrett Jones, David Bahktiari, Kyle Long, Menelik Watson, Reid Fragel, and Eric Herman

I agree... I am really liking a bunch of these guys in the o-line group.

Lane Johnson
Watson
Long are all players I like.

In my first mock/wishlist I posted I gave us Schwenke in the 4th. I think he may be a 3rd rounder now wathing him. Really like him and Mayock gave him lots of love.

TimmG6376
02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Thought Watford from JMU looked good too. Not sure where his stock is at the moment.

princefielder28
02-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Thought Watford from JMU looked good too. Not sure where his stock is at the moment.

He did look good....I can't remember an offensive line class that's been this deep and talented at the Combine before

TimmG6376
02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Not sure if it was Mayock or someone else that commented on the lack of "bad bodies" this year. A lot of these guys look slim at 300+.

CheeseKnuckles
02-23-2013, 09:34 PM

I thought the same as well. For some reason I have a good feeling we will get a good O-lineman in the draft. I think TT may have seen the light this season as far as protecting ARod goes.

Sportsfan486
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Arthur Brown. Kansas State. I can't tell you guys how high I am on this guy. I think he's the best 3-4 ILB in the draft and it's not really close. He's basically a better tackling, better character, shorter but stouter version of Ogletree.

Pros; FAST. I think his sideline and closing speed rivals Ogletree. Sure wrap-up and explosive tackler. Fights through blocks. Natural ILB.

Cons; Shorter than you'd like. Looked on the skinny side in college but weighed in as heavy as all the other big name ILBs (Teo, Minter, Ogletree) and looked good at the weight. Didn't have as many splash plays as Teo or Ogletree in college.

I watch this guy on film and he's an exciting player. Obviously Ogletree is off our board due to character concerns and I'd prefer Brown regardless. He's a fantastic run presence who fights through blocks and wraps up when he tackles. Explosive sideline to sideline presence and I think the lack of splash plays is more due to random luck and how he was used; I see a great eye for fumbles and interceptions when I watch him and he looks potentially fantastic as a pass rusher with his closing burst.

I would be shocked and horrified if he was available at our pick and we passed. He's exactly what we need next to Bishop; a sure tackler with fantastic range and athleticism. Have Bishop take on blockers and Brown is a guy who can clean up with a sure tackle. I also think his upside as a blitzer and cover guy on TEs is fantastic; might give up height but so will Minter and Teo yet Brown won't get beat on speed.

I think it's time we move on from Hawk. It's incredibly likely we'll have our pick of all 4 or at least 3 out of 4 of Teo, Ogletree (even if I can't see us picking him,) Minter and Brown. All four have first round grades at our biggest position of need, in my opinion.

Then again, maybe we go safety and take Greene or one of those other four in the second.

princefielder28
02-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I like Arthur Brown but I would prefer Kevin Minter inside.

One player I absolutely want TT to draft is FSU back Lonnie Pryor

Sportsfan486
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
I like Arthur Brown but I would prefer Kevin Minter inside.

One player I absolutely want TT to draft is FSU back Lonnie Pryor

I do like Minter but I watch him play and I see LSU talent covering up for his lack of speed and agility (the 4.8 40 sure doesn't dissuade me from that.) Aggressive and savvy ILB, for sure, but he would give us two thumpers in the middle (with Bishop) and I would prefer to see us add a sideline-to-sideline guy. I was also disappointed that he is only 6'0 and for a fairly slow ILB he shies away from taking on blockers too much for my taste; I actually saw a lot more of the smaller and faster Brown attacking and shedding blockers.

I'm not sure what role Pryor would serve for us. He isn't as versatile as Kuhn and while he's probably a slightly better runner, he isn't really much more of a blocker.

princefielder28
02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I know we've talked about safety being an early investment, but after analyzing the roster I don't see it happening. The coaching staff has always shown an allegiance to Morgan Burnett, Jerron McMillian was a 4th round pick this past season, and Sean Richardson is a big safety who managed to be active quite a bit in the second half of the season and flashed ability in the pre-season. Also factor in that the safety class is deep, and it tallies up to a position the front office won't feel a great urgency to address early on.

princefielder28
02-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I do like Minter but I watch him play and I see LSU talent covering up for his lack of speed and agility (the 4.8 40 sure doesn't dissuade me from that.) Aggressive and savvy ILB, for sure, but he would give us two thumpers in the middle (with Bishop) and I would prefer to see us add a sideline-to-sideline guy. I was also disappointed that he is only 6'0 and for a fairly slow ILB he shies away from taking on blockers too much for my taste; I actually saw a lot more of the smaller and faster Brown attacking and shedding blockers.

I'm not sure what role Pryor would serve for us. He isn't as versatile as Kuhn and while he's probably a slightly better runner, he isn't really much more of a blocker.

Minter did prove the ability to be a sideline to sideline guy and to be able to do it in the SEC says a lot. Brown isn't someone I would describe as excelling against blockers; just take a look at the Oregon game where he was completely neutralized for the duration of the game.

Pryor is a far better athlete and is more versatile than John Kuhn, who is nice player but slightly overrated right now. I see Pryor as a guy who could actually be part of our back rotation or possibly the featured guy.

Sportsfan486
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I know we've talked about safety being an early investment, but after analyzing the roster I don't see it happening. The coaching staff has always shown an allegiance to Morgan Burnett, Jerron McMillian was a 4th round pick this past season, and Sean Richardson is a big safety who managed to be active quite a bit in the second half of the season and flashed ability in the pre-season. Also factor in that the safety class is deep, and it tallies up to a position the front office won't feel a great urgency to address early on.

I agree with this. I don't see us going safety early. I thought McMillian showed promise and I think he'll get a full year of opportunity.

I would also be surprised, a bit, if we went OLine in the first or second. I feel like there's enough guys coming back that we need depth there, not necessarily a starter. Sitton, Lang, EDS, Bulaga are locks to start. Newhouse is a bit iffy but there's always the chance of moving Bulaga to LT and keeping Barclay as a starter.. or Sherrod getting healthy and showing up. I think there's at least an equal upside to one of those options than to draft a guy like Fluker in the late first (unless one of the top 3 LTs drops to us, which won't happen, in which case we'd obviously pull the trigger.)

I feel like TT has to address the front 7 with the first pick (or a TE if we drop Finley, which looks unlikely) and if he brings in a Canty or Jenkins in free agency, that really puts us in a good spot on the dline so it really falls to the ILB void.

Where else is there a missing starter?

Qb. Set.
RB. Possibly a starter needed but lack of value in the 1st.
WR. Set.
TE. Set or strong need if Finley is released.
OT. Borderline.
OG. Depth needed.
C. Depth needed.
DE. Depth needed.
DT. Depth needed, future starter.
OLB. Set (can't believe they'd give up on Perry, Walden and Mozes good enough depth regardless.)
ILB. Very strong need; colossal if Hawk is released.
CB. Set.
S. Borderline but likely set.

princefielder28
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I could see receiver being the position in round one. James Jones is a free agent next off-season, and Thompson seems to invest a 2nd/3rd round pick every other year on a receiver to keep the position strong. Sign me up for DeAndre Hopkins or Quinton Patton.

J-Mike88
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I could see receiver being the position in round one. James Jones is a free agent next off-season, and Thompson seems to invest a 2nd/3rd round pick every other year on a receiver to keep the position strong. Sign me up for DeAndre Hopkins or Quinton Patton.
Absolutely love Patton. How late can we get him?
Usually, Teddy takes guys earlier than we fans expect.
And it usually works out good.

princefielder28
02-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Absolutely love Patton. How late can we get him?
Usually, Teddy takes guys earlier than we fans expect.
And it usually works out good.

I think he'll be a Top 50 guy

J-Mike88
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I think he'll be a Top 50 guy
Yeah I saw a few mocks today that have him going late round ONE dammit.
I don't want a WR in the first round.....

Jmohr107
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM

I agree with you here. I think people are overlooking the fact that Jones will be a free agent after this year. And if he matches his production from last season, he'll probably want to be paid like a number 1 receiver. Then we'll be in the same position Jones that we are in now with Jennings - where the gap between what the player thinks he is worth and what the team is willing to pay him is pretty large.

So facing the possibility that we might lose Jennings and Jones in consecutive offseasons, I think it will be smart to invest in another pass-catcher now. I'm a big Terrance Williams fan.

CheeseKnuckles
03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
This is my latest Mock/Wishilist. Let me know what you think.

Round 1 - Alec Ogletree, ILB Georgia (6'3 232)

I originally mocked Ogletree to us knowing we had no shot at him. Considered by some as being anywhere from a top 10-15 pick, his DWI obviously didn't help his cause. This kid does have a bit of a rap sheet, but I guess we don't know exactly how his interviews went and maybe a small town like Green Bay would be good for him. I know this isn't a TT type of pick, but I would hate to see a talent like him get passed by and then picked up a few picks later by teams who are basically our competition towards another Super Bowl run. I also think our locker room would be a postive influence on this young man.

Ogletree isn't one your old school thumping ILB. He excels at coverage and has the ability to cover sideline to sideline. Something we are desperately missing in Green Bay. Our combination of Bishop and Ogletree would remind me a bit of San Frans ILBs ( maybe not the same level, but there would be that potential ) Bishop being more like Willis and Ogletree like Bowman. I think Ogletree would be worth taking a risk. He has everything you need as far as now days ILBs go. Will see if TT feels the same.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/alec-ogletree-scouting-report.html

Previous Pick: Alec Ogletree
Alternate Pick: Menelik Watson/Keenan Allen

Round 2 - DJ Swearinger, SS South Carolina (6'0, 210)

I'm torn between Swearinger and Cyprien maybe someone here can help me in making my choice a little easier. The biggest things that stick out to me with Swearinger is his teammates raving about him being a great leader and also playing in 52/53 games in his college career. Some Green Bay people don't think Safety is a need, I disagree. I don't think McMillan or Jennings are the answer. Hopefully we can upgrade the postion early in this draft as it seems to be a decent class of safeties.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/dj-swearinger-scouting-report.html

Previous pick: Jonathan Cyprien
Alternate Pick: Cyprien/ Quinton Patton/Travis Long

Michael is a super talented back with some question marks, but what player in this draft doesn't have that? This kid absolutely stood out talent wise at the EastVSWest shrine game. He was equally impressive at the NFL Combine. He fits the size that TT looks for in RBs. IMO this kid could be special and he could make our offense special.

Round 4 - Jordan Mills, OT Louisiana Tech (6'5, 318)

Mills had an all-around good Senior Bowl week. I read a few different reports of him possibly being a sleeper in the draft. I also liked when I read he had a nastiness to him and continually blocked till after the whistle. We need some nastieness on the O-line, especially in place of the Outhouse.

Round 5 - Marquess Wilson, WR Washington State (6'3, 194)

Wilson has 1st round size and probably 1st round talent. Teams are going to question the deal with him quitting his team this year and claiming alleged abuse by the coaching staff. Hopefully all that is behind him. Wilson had a decent Combine and has the ability to stretch the field. I think Green Bay lacks a true deep threat WR and Wilson would fill that role. Wilson is also a great leaper which would be good for the redzone and on those deep balls.

Round 6 - Keith Pough, ILB Howard (6'2, 239)

Pough could serve as both an ILB or OLB. He would be better suited for this inside. Pough has been said to be a great leader. Seems like a TT guy to me. Will contribute on special teams and could eventually become a good ILB.

Round 7 - Travis Long, OLB Washington State (6'3, 256)

Poor mans Brooks Reed?

Sportsfan486
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
This is my latest Mock/Wishilist. Let me know what you think.

Round 1 - Alec Ogletree, ILB Georgia (6'3 232) Our combination of Bishop and Ogletree would remind me a bit of San Frans ILBs ( maybe not the same level, but there would be that potential ) Bishop being more like Willis and Ogletree like Bowman.

Alternate Pick: Menelik Watson/Keenan Allen

Round 2 - DJ Swearinger, SS South Carolina (6'0, 210)

I'm torn between Swearinger and Cyprien maybe someone here can help me in making my choice a little easier.
Round 5 - Marquess Wilson, WR Washington State (6'3, 194)

Ogletree has no chance of being our pick. Zero. He had character concerns before the DWI, and then came off poorly in combine interviews. Not. A. Chance. I like Arthur Brown as a similar prospect, however, and a far superior character guy.

Swearinger doesn't make sense for us, in my opinion. Sure, he's a physical guy and you could make the case we overreact to the 49ers game and go for a run stopper.... but considering the type of safety that we have consistently drafted, I can't see us going with him over Cyprien or a similar player. Swearinger is entirely not a ballhawk and TT loves him some ballhawks at the safety position.

Michael and Wilson are both no ways. Zero shot of being a Packer. Michael has possibly worse character than Ogletree and is a horrendous pass blocker, as in zero effort given. Won't work. Wilson is a drama circus and considering how fed up we got with Finley, who doesn't approach Wilson's level of drama, I can't see it.

I like the positional breakdown, round by round, of your mock, though.

princefielder28
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Brandon Hepburn screams someone who has the makeup to attract the Packers

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/December/faces+of+the+ncaa+brandon+hepburn

J-Mike88
03-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Brandon Hepburn screams someone who has the makeup to attract the Packers

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/December/faces+of+the+ncaa+brandon+hepburn
Good point.

For Florida A&M coach Joe Taylor, Hepburn is a godsend. A devoutly Christian student-athlete who chose the school because of the academic offerings, Brandon serves as an ever-present reminder to Taylor’s other student-athletes of all that’s possible.

“As a coach, you always tell guys that whatever they want to become, there is somebody who is already it, so I tell them to do a lot of reading and research,” Taylor said. “But with Brandon, here’s a role model who is right in the midst of these guys. He’s a perfect example of what can happen once you put your mind to it.”

While Taylor waxes poetic about his star player, Hepburn merely says it’s a “privilege” and “a blessing” to be an example for his teammates.

“I know oftentimes in the black community it’s hard to find a father figure or a big brother to talk to,” he said. “Coming here to this program, I knew I had my coaches to talk through any of my life problems. It’s awesome that I have the chance to give back when I’m still playing.”

“As athletes, we’re oftentimes put on a pedestal. We have to remember that it’s not about us, but about giving glory to God through what we do,” Hepburn said. “I thank God that he’s given me a great platform to lead others and teach others as he taught me to love him.”

When trying to guess Thompson's picks, one thing that is the common thread is that he almost always picks guys with high character.
The only 2 exceptions I can think of were the Texas boys Cory Rogers & Johnny Jolly.

Thompson does a great job of avoiding the criminals and drama queens.

He also likes guys who have a 3+ year track record, usually.

J-Mike88
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
TODAY:
I would LOVE this pick.

Let's take an NFC North-centric look at Todd McShay's latest mock draft for ESPN.com:

5. Detroit Lions
McShay pick: BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah
Seifert comment: We've discussed how intriguing a prospect Ansah has already proven to be. He might not have immediate impact, which the Lions have said they want. But Ansah could eventually thrive as an edge rusher in the Lions' defensive scheme. In this mock, Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner is already off the board.

20. Chicago Bears
McShay pick: Tennessee receiver Cordarrelle Patterson
Seifert comment: The Bears want a speedy receiver but it would be difficult to call it a primary need. McShay considers Patterson one of the draft's top playmakers, however, and chose him over Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, among others. We'll see.

23. Minnesota Vikings
McShay pick: North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams
Seifert comment: General manager Rick Spielman considers this draft deep for interior defensive linemen, and the Vikings have a need there as Kevin Williams ages.

26. Green Bay Packers
McShay pick: Georgia defensive tackle John Jenkins
Seifert comment: Jenkins is a classic 3-4 nose tackle at 346 pounds. The Packers want to strengthen their defensive line, especially against the run. Jenkins would help.

princefielder28
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Jenkins disappears too much during games for me to get excited about him in round one.

J-Mike88
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Jenkins disappears too much during games for me to get excited about him in round one.
That's a good observation but you tell me any DT who shows up big every quarter.
Even Reggie White had plenty of games where he was not making plays for 3 quarters.
Raji takes games off, aside from occupying blocks sometimes.

Wilfork, Justin Smith, Marcel Darius, Suh, Ngata, Tuck, they're neutralized for long stretches too. Some of them disappear for a couple games.

Only John Randle at DT/NT had a non-stop motor that I can recall. But most here are too young to recall that crazy Viking. That's who I want(ed) Worthy & Mike Daniels to be like.......

princefielder28
03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
That's a good observation but you tell me any DT who shows up big every quarter.
Even Reggie White had plenty of games where he was not making plays for 3 quarters.
Raji takes games off, aside from occupying blocks sometimes.

Wilfork, Justin Smith, Marcel Darius, Suh, Ngata, Tuck, they're neutralized for long stretches too. Some of them disappear for a couple games.

Only John Randle at DT/NT had a non-stop motor that I can recall. But most here are too young to recall that crazy Viking. That's who I want(ed) Worthy & Mike Daniels to be like.......

I don't want to spend a first round pick on a player who is strictly a space eater. We need defensive linemen who have the ability to collapse the pocket and penetrate into the backfield and Jenkins doesn't fit under that criteria.

princefielder28
03-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Forum Mock Off-season is near the conclusion with drafting and here's what I've done

Free agency

Signed Steven Jackson, Jermon Bushrod, Tim Tebow, Chris Canty, Sammie Lee Hill

Released Jermichael Finley, AJ Hawk, James Starks, Brandon Saine

Draft

32. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
55. Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina
76. Brian Schwenke, C, California
88. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
100. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
132. Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State
161. Walter Stewart, DE, Cincinnati
181. Chris Faulk, OT, Louisiana State
209. Brandon Hepburn, ILB, Florida A&M
232. Eric Herman, OG, Ohio

J-Mike88
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Forum Mock Off-season is near the conclusion with drafting and here's what I've done

Free agency

Signed Steven Jackson, Jermon Bushrod, Tim Tebow, Chris Canty, Sammie Lee Hill

Released Jermichael Finley, AJ Hawk, James Starks, Brandon Saine

Draft

32. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
55. Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina
76. Brian Schwenke, C, California
88. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
100. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
132. Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State
161. Walter Stewart, DE, Cincinnati
181. Chris Faulk, OT, Louisiana State
209. Brandon Hepburn, ILB, Florida A&M
232. Eric Herman, OG, Ohio
Holy free agency madness Batman!
I'd love those additions but.... and I love Tebow more than anyone does but I would not want the circus that swarms around him.
I'd be a bit worried about our TEs and ILBs under this scenario though.

TimmG6376
03-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Don't mind the releases of Hawk and Starks. I think Saine is worth keeping around if he is healthy. I guess I could live with the Finely release if it was a matter of money to sign Jackson, Bushrod, etc., but I agree with J-Mike in that I don't want anything to do with Tebow. When the Broncos were shopping him I thought it might work to have McCarthy run him through the QB school but after him going to the Jets and seeing the media cluster**** that follows him wherever he goes, no thanks.

J-Mike88
03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey Prince, where do you think Sheldon will be drafted? This capsule on him from Walt sounds delicious to imagine in Green Bay:

Sheldon Richardson*, DT, Missouri
Height: 6-3. Weight: 294. Arm: 34.48.
40 Time: 5.02.
Projected Round (2013): Top-25 Pick.
3/2/13: Richardson had a superb season including a great game against Alabama. He had 14 tackles and a sack coming from defensive end against right tackle D.J. Fluker. Richardson flashes the speed to fire the gap and make plays behind the line. He has non-stop drive and makes a lot of tackles in pursuit. Richardson has one of the best motors of any player in college football. He is truly relentless.

Richardson returned a fumble 60 yards against Kentucky. He couldn't make plays going against guard Larry Warford, but made an impact when taking on other blockers. Richardson was a speedy disruptive force at the point of attack. He had a solid performance at the combine to show some speed and athleticism.

The redshirt junior totaled 75 tackles in 2012; a staggering number for a defensive tackle. He also had 10.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, three passes batted and three forced fumbles.

SuperPacker
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
he's going top half of round 1.

princefielder28
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
he's going top half of round 1.

Agree...Top 10 selection

J-Mike88
03-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Agree...Top 10 selection
Damn, then no chance.
That's an area I'd love to strengthen up for us.....

princefielder28
03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Damn, then no chance.
That's an area I'd love to strengthen up for us.....

If we look defensive line for round one, Sylvester Williams and Jesse Williams are probably the most likely choices. Jesse being able to play the nose or five technique will be attractive to teams like us.

CheeseKnuckles
03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I fixed my mock draft up a bit after somebody pointed out that a few of my players weren't TT type people. Check it out.

Round 1 - Sylvester Williams, DE North Carolina (6'3, 305)

IMO the Packers have to have two goals in this draft. Beef up the front 7 on D and find quality depth for the O-line. Williams is a nice prospect who has the typical size you look for in a 3-4 DE. Even if a player like Canty or RJF is signed you can't have enough big boys up front.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/01/sylvester -williams-scouting-report

Alternate picks: Menelik Watson/DeAndre Hopkins

Round 2 - Jonathan Cyprien, SS FIU (6'1, 210)

My last mock I switched to DJ Swearinger, but I think Cyprien is more the type of safety we need. In today's NFL you need safeties who can cover the field and Cyprien is capable of doing so. Burnett and Cypriend could be great together in the in our defensive backfield. Let the youth movement continue back there!

http://youtu.be/XU5vsum2vHw

Previous pick: DJ Swearinger
Alternate pick: Quinton Patton/Travis Long

Round 3 - Montee Ball, RB Wisconsin (5'11, 215)

We need better RB play in Green Bay. I have been in love with Christine Michael as a prospect, but he has some major maturity issues and his work ethic has been questioned. Ball has some questions as well and thats why he will probably be a 3rd round pick. He has piled up carries at UW and isn't a major burner speed wise. The thing about Ball those is he isn't going to dance around and lose you yards. He has been reliable and consistent and that is what Green Bay needs. TT was also at UWs pro day and so maybe there is some interest there.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/montee-ball -scouting-report.html

Previous pick: Christine Michael

Round 4 - Jordan Mills, OT Louisiana Tech (6'5, 318)

Mills had an all-around good Senior Bowl week. I read a few
different reports of him possibly being a sleeper in the draft. I also liked
when I read he had a nastiness to him and continually blocked till after the
whistle. We need some nastieness on the O-line, especially in place of the
Outhouse.

Round 5 - David Quessenberry, G/C San Jose State (6'5, 294)

Quessenberry is a O-line prospect that can play all three positions on the line, but G/C would be his best fit. I have read different reports on where he could go in this draft, but they all seem to be 3-5. Quessenberry may be able to start at G/C and would add some much needed quality depth to our O-line.

Round 6 - Keith Pough, ILB Howard (6'2, 239)

Pough could serve as both an ILB or OLB. He would be better suited for the inside.
Pough has been said to be a great leader. Seems like a TT guy to me. Will
contribute on special teams and could eventually become a good ILB.

Round 7 - Jasper Collins, WR Mount Unions (6'0, 190)

Intriguing prospect. Has return ability. Who knows in the 7th round...

I'm not sure what our compensatory pick will be from Scott Wells? If it is a 5th round pick I like - Mychal Rivera, TE Tennessee (6'3, 237)

Sportsfan486
03-12-2013, 01:22 AM
So a couple new thoughts as the draft draws slightly nearer.

I've warmed up to the idea of a first round WR. Our scheme absolutely requires 3 very good WRs. While you could say we have that with Nelson, Jones and Cobb if one of those guys gets injured, especially Cobb, our offense could quickly skid to a halt. Probably my three favorites, in order, are Keenan Allen, Aaron Dobson or Quinton Patton. I'd be somewhat annoyed if we picked one of the latter two in the first, however; I'd rather wait until our 2nd pick and take one there. Allen would be worth a first.

I strongly dislike the thought of a space-eating NT with our first pick. It's a waste of a first rounder, imo. Unless you're getting a NT with a unique ability, which I don't think Jenkins or Hankins have, you're better of waiting until middle rounds. If we draft one of those guys, at BEST they'll be a marginal rotation player this year. Not exactly what we need.

I still think a play-making MLB would be a fantastic choice (I've already professed my love for Arthur Brown and I'd love Ogletree even more if TT looked past the concerns.) However, a Minter or Te'eo would make me question why we didn't just resign Jones as those two share a lot of his strengths and weaknesses.

OLine would be a weird choice, I think. Have to imagine we're locked in with a line of Newhouse, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Bulaga with potentially Barclay and Sherrod pushing for a position. I don't know where you really upgrade there; sure, you can go LT but assuming Lane Johnson is gone you're only option is Armstead and he's not going to be an improvement over Newhouse this year, although his upside is great. Obviously if Warmack or Cooper fell you probably would pull the trigger in about .0005 seconds, as it'd give you an immediate upgrade over Lang and a much deeper OLine group; but that ain't gunna happen.

Looks like we'll give Finley one more year, which is a good call in my opinion.

Safety is an option that I'm not totally against. McMillian has some potential but really, you probably would expect Elam or Cyprien to give you at least what McMillian does immediately with a lot more upside.

OLB could be a wild card pick. I loved the Perry pick and still have hopes there, but there is some serious 3-4 OLB talent in this draft and if a guy like Mingo or Moore is sitting there at our pick I could see us pulling the trigger and working out a rotation to maximize pass rush.

CB would be a crazy pick and make me cry. Holy beejeez are we deep at corner.

HB in the first would make me cry, also. Who the heck is worth a first here? I wouldn't mind Montee Ball or Lacy in the second, or even better, the third. Even better, how about Marcus "I would have been a top 10 pick if not for my ACL" Lattimore in the 5th?

Overall I'm rooting for a playmaking MLB, Jonathan Cooper, Cyprien or Patterson/Allen in the first. I could learn to be happy with Damontre Moore or any of the other flashly OLB prospects that could fall to us.

J-Mike88
03-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Mark it down, round one, pick #26:

Green Bay Packers: Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

According to draft insider Tony Pauline, Kansas State LB Arthur Brown "blew up" his pro day workout.

We already blurbed that Brown weighed in at 236 pounds and recorded 21 bench press reps, a notable number since some of have speculated he is dealing with a shoulder injury. Brown's forty time ranged from 4.58 to 4.62 seconds and during the workout he "was sensational, showing a quick change of direction and losing no momentum altering his angle of attack," Pauline writes. "He was fast in every direction and really solid in ball drills." We consider him a top 10 talent, although he might be selected much later.

Source: TFY Draft Insider Mar 13 - 9:52 AM

princefielder28
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.

J-Mike88
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.
Yeah he's seemingly climbed... I was going by other folks mocks from the past and he was never gone before our 26 pick.

J-Mike88
03-14-2013, 11:28 PM
This team needs NEW BLOOD at ILB.

I talked to someone with some insight into the Packers medical staff and they do not expect Bishop to be near 100% even by the end of the year.... he tore the whole phuqing hamstring.... they had to re-attach it. It wasn't just a little tear or something. Of course with our phuqing luck, at least he didn't have to retire in his prime like Collins, and Sterling Sharpe.

Hawk sucks, flatout... he's a below average LB.

I think there are a handful of ILB's who could make this defense a lot better immediately. That is, if we have the coaching staff there to teach them.

Patrick Willis was a mid-first round pick, and Bowman was not even a 1st rounder.

I want to upgrade our ILB's first & foremost.
After that, DL, S, RB, OT, C, WR, TE..... any order, BPA.
I don't put OLB high because I think Perry will make them better and Moses will be a fine backup at OLB.
A 4th OLB can be found if not Zombo.....

J-Mike88
03-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1725130

Good 3rd Rd pick for us?

princefielder28
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1725130

Good 3rd Rd pick for us?

Kelce has some character concerns attached to him so I don't know if he's a fit for TT. I really like Kelce as a prospect though and would love to add him.

J-Mike88
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't know who knows best, but I do know this guy talks directly to scouts and some team GMs. Check out #65.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9041533/2013-nfl-draft-first-breakdown-talent-tiers

Might have to be an ESPN Insider to see it... if you can't, let me know.

princefielder28
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't know who knows best, but I do know this guy talks directly to scouts and some team GMs. Check out #65.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9041533/2013-nfl-draft-first-breakdown-talent-tiers

Might have to be an ESPN Insider to see it... if you can't, let me know.

I'm not able to view that

J-Mike88
03-17-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm not able to view that

Here's PART of it:

Tier 1

These are the elite prospects, those who have the potential to come off the board in the top five overall picks.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Luke Joeckel*

OT

Texas A&M

6-6

Sharrif Floyd*

DT

Florida

6-2⅝

Eric Fisher

OT

Central Michigan

6-7¼

Star Lotulelei

DT

Utah

6-2½

Tier 2

This tier is composed of players who are a notch below elite but are still top-10 quality.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Dee Milliner*

CB

Alabama

5-11⅞

Ezekiel Ansah

DE

BYU

6-5¼

Dion Jordan

OLB

Oregon

6-6¼

Chance Warmack

OG

Alabama

6-2

Tier 6

This tier contains prospects who are worthy of mid-to-late second-round consideration.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Ryan Nassib

QB

Syracuse

6-2⅛

DeAndre Hopkins*

WR

Clemson

6-1

Travis Frederick*

OC

Wisconsin

6-3⅝

Kevin Minter*

ILB

LSU

5-11¾

Cornellius Carradine

DE

Florida State

6-4⅛

Gavin Escobar*

TE

San Diego State

6-5⅞

Sio Moore

OLB

Connecticut

6-0

Brandon Williams

DT

Missouri Southern State

6-1¼

DJ Hayden

CB

Houston

5-11⅛

Landry Jones

QB

Oklahoma

6-4⅛

Aaron Dobson

WR

Marshall

6-2¾

Johnthan Banks

CB

Mississippi State

6-2

D.J. Swearinger

S

South Carolina

5-10½

Jesse Williams

DT

Alabama

6-3⅜

Terrance Williams

WR

Baylor

6-2

Kyle Long

OG

Oregon

6-6⅛

Jamar Taylor

CB

Boise State

5-10⅝

Larry Warford

OG

Kentucky

6-3

Khaseem Greene

OLB

Rutgers

6-0¾

Terron Armstead

OT

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

6-4¾

Robert Woods*

WR

USC

6-0⅜

Matt Elam*

S

Florida

5-9⅞

Datone Jones

DE

UCLA

6-3⅞

Arthur Brown

OLB

Kansas State

6-0⅜

EJ Manuel

QB

Florida State

6-4⅝

John Cyprien

S

FIU

6-0¼

Mike Glennon

QB

North Carolina State

6-7⅛

Jordan Reed*

TE

Florida

6-2½

J-Mike88
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't know why it spreads out so damn much like that... should have been formatted.
It's from McShay this week.

CheeseKnuckles
03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Wondering how people would feel if our 1st round pick was either Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes?

princefielder28
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't know why it spreads out so damn much like that... should have been formatted.
It's from McShay this week.

There's plenty of players in that 42 to 68 range that I could see going in the first round.

Wondering how people would feel if our 1st round pick was either Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes?

Corner doesn't make much sense for the first round. We have three youngsters in Shields, Hayward and House plus Tramon is still in the fold.

Sportsfan486
03-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Latest mock on CBSSports has Jonathon Cooper falling to us. I'd take that pick in a second, even if I don't think OLine is one of our top 3 or 4 needs. He'd give us one of the best guard tandems in the game and free up Lang as an awesome backup #1 for tackle or guard.

J-Mike88
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Latest mock on CBSSports has Jonathon Cooper falling to us. I'd take that pick in a second, even if I don't think OLine is one of our top 3 or 4 needs. He'd give us one of the best guard tandems in the game and free up Lang as an awesome backup #1 for tackle or guard.
Lang's getting paid too much to be a backup.
And I think he's good enough to be a starter.
I don't know what I'd think about using our 1st on an OG... even though I like Cooper of course.

Brothgar
03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
There's plenty of players in that 42 to 68 range that I could see going in the first round.

Corner doesn't make much sense for the first round. We have three youngsters in Shields, Hayward and House plus Tramon is still in the fold.

Shields is a free agent. As for Trufant there isn't that big a difference between the two to make it crazy.

Sportsfan486
03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Shields is a free agent. As for Trufant there isn't that big a difference between the two to make it crazy.

Shields is a RFA with a high tender. Teams rarely make plays on RFAs and even if they do, we'd match any offer. He will be a Packer in 2013.

Corner would be a mistake in the draft, I think. Safety would be much more logical, especially with guys like Cyprien most likely available at our pick.

I agree that I don't really want us to go OLine in the first few rounds, but Cooper or Warmack wouldn't kill me.

I also have soured on Lacy in the first, or any RB. I'd rather take one in the 2nd, as the top 4 or 5 are all pretty similar grades imo.

I'm probably most interested in someone like Tyler Eifert, Keenan Allen, Damontre Moore, Arthur Brown or even Datone Jones. Those guys are all difference makers, I think. You could argue that Eifert or Allen or Moore would be redundant, but a clever coach can never have too many weapons. If our problem became having Moore and Nick Perry both look great... man, how great of a problem would that be. Or trying to find enough snaps for both Eifert and Finley to catch TDs. Jeez, that'd really suck.

It worked out great with Cobb; get playmaking prospects first and sort out how to find snaps for them second.

CheeseKnuckles
03-18-2013, 08:17 AM
I disagree... I don't see how we are SO set at CB.

Tramon Williams - Production has declined. He and another CB were the first ever CBs to give up 1000 yards last season. That is in the history of the NFL. If his play isn't better he is gone next season.

Sam Shields - Is anyone really considering him a true #1 cover CB? I hope not.

Casey Hayward - Future looks bright.

Davon House - Couldn't stay on the field

That to me doesn't scream a situation in which a #1 CB if available is passed on. In a passing league I don't see how you can pass on a #1 CB.

princefielder28
03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Is corner a first round need? Absolutely not.

I agree that Tramon Williams play has declined, and this could very well be his last year with the team. Shields isn't a #1 corner but he is certainly starting caliber and Casey Hayward is an impressive player. Davon House will be entering his third season and the team will give him the chance to show he can stay healthy before investing an early pick on the position.

Also consider that they defensive back class is extremely deep so the team can look at a developmental prospect like a BW Webb or Terry Hawthorne to bring in around the fourth round or so. I'd love to be able to add a player like Desmond Trufant, but this team has greater holes to fill, especially with their early round picks.

CheeseKnuckles
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I guess I just look at how well we did in 2010 during the SB run and I see Woodson/Shields/Tramon all playing press man coverage. I think if we can get back to that we increase our chances of being successful.

CheeseKnuckles
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I also see that it isn't the hightest "need", but when I look at the 1st round I think Trufant could be available at 26 and it might be the best value...

princefielder28
03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I guess I just look at how well we did in 2010 during the SB run and I see Woodson/Shields/Tramon all playing press man coverage. I think if we can get back to that we increase our chances of being successful.

I also see that it isn't the hightest "need", but when I look at the 1st round I think Trufant could be available at 26 and it might be the best value...

When we made our Super Bowl run we were very good in the secondary and I feel that played in large part to our front seven being able to generate pressure (Cullen at end and Clay on the edge plus we had Nick Collins), and as the team is currently constructed we lack any down lineman who has the ability to put pressure on the quarterback or be disruptive in the backfield.

If we address secondary in the first round, I would prefer to see the safety position be the focus because we have no one I would characterize as a ball hawk and we instead have a handful of guys who would prefer to operate closer to the box.

SuperPacker
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM

No he isn't. And the difference between Trufant and Shields is that Shields has proven he is a starting caliber CB in the NFL, Trufant hasn't. You don't pick a CB in the 1st round when you have 4 perfectly good one's for the position on the depth chart they will be.

Sportsfan486
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
No he isn't. And the difference between Trufant and Shields is that Shields has proven he is a starting caliber CB in the NFL, Trufant hasn't. You don't pick a CB in the 1st round when you have 4 perfectly good one's for the position on the depth chart they will be.

This.

I live in Seattle. I've seen Trufant play. He wasn't that good in college. He did well at the senior bowl and he's got a big name but he's a major project. Seriously lacking technique work. Shields is a further along project.

And do I think Shields can become a lockdown #1? Yup. Sure do. He has at least equal physical tools to Trufant and already has shown the ability to be an NFL Starter. Is he a legit #2? Easily.

Heyward isn't a question mark at this point (could always regress, but you have to imagine he won't.)

House was considered a lock to be our #2 corner until his shoulder injury last year and his upside is very good.

Tramon is beaten up a little too harshly by us Packer fans but he's still a legit NFL starter.

Jarrett Bush is, quite frankly, an NFL quality #3 corner. I hate him but he's improved and if he's your #3 corner and the weakest spot on your team? Way to go. He's our #5.

So no, I wouldn't be happy with a corner in the first or in the second. It's probably our best position of depth on our entire team. Actually, scratch the probably; IT IS our deepest position.

princefielder28
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Updating the order of needs for this team heading into the draft

1. DE
2. RB
3. OT (specifically left tackle)
4. S
5. WR
6. Interior OL depth

J-Mike88
03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Updating the order of needs for this team heading into the draft

1. DE
2. RB
3. OT (specifically left tackle)
4. S
5. WR
6. Interior OL depth
Do you think our ILB'ers are good? And do you think Bishop & DJ Smith will both be back to full strength by the season? I'm hearing they along with Sherrod, still have a long and unsure road back. Just like Quarless. Damn injuries.

princefielder28
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Do you think our ILB'ers are good? And do you think Bishop & DJ Smith will both be back to full strength by the season? I'm hearing they along with Sherrod, still have a long and unsure road back. Just like Quarless. Damn injuries.

Jones is a good coverage backer and Hawk is an adequate starter if we're forced to start the season with them inside. I'd have to think that Bishop and/or Smith will be healthy when the season starts and Francois and Manning are developmental players behind them so I don't see an early round investment after how the team has handled the position to this point.

TimmG6376
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Scott has us taking Menelik Watson in his latest 1st rd mock. Seems like a reach. but at least it isn't Eifert or Lacy. Eifert wouldn't be horrible as he is a really good football player, however, this TE class seems deep and I think there is better value later.

princefielder28
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Scott has us taking Menelik Watson in his latest 1st rd mock. Seems like a reach. but at least it isn't Eifert or Lacy. Eifert wouldn't be horrible as he is a really good football player, however, this TE class seems deep and I think there is better value later.

I feel Watson is a reach as well, but I can understand the left tackle projection. I would much prefer a late round, developmental tackle like Nick Becton (Virginia Tech).

TimmG6376
03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
I feel Watson is a reach as well, but I can understand the left tackle projection. I would much prefer a late round, developmental tackle like Nick Becton (Virginia Tech).

Yeah factoring in Newhouse's mediocrity, Sherrod's uncertainty, and McCarthy's comments on needing improved play from the left side of the offensive line it will probably be addressed at some point. Just feel that Menelik or another developmental OT can be gotten later.

J-Mike88
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
All signs point to me at Margus Hunt.
Teddy drafts them based on his evaluation of their upside, what they can be in the NFL, along with a heavy emphasis on character.
Hunt passes those tests, and it's a position we could use some help at.

McCarthy also hinted that Jones would be re-signed in his answer about Bishop and Smith.

princefielder28
03-23-2013, 11:12 AM
All signs point to me at Margus Hunt.
Teddy drafts them based on his evaluation of their upside, what they can be in the NFL, along with a heavy emphasis on character.
Hunt passes those tests, and it's a position we could use some help at.

McCarthy also hinted that Jones would be re-signed in his answer about Bishop and Smith.

If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV. He is the classic 'look like Tarzan play like Jane' prospect, and he's already considerably older than the average prospect.

Sportsfan486
03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV. He is the classic 'look like Tarzan play like Jane' prospect, and he's already considerably older than the average prospect.

This. Hunt lacks any fluidity or leverage in his game; so yeah, his brute strength and straight line speed will get him sacks in conference USA but will be utterly negated by NFL technicians at OLine. All you have to do is point him in a direction and you can wash him out of a play; or you just battle him at the line for a quarter or two and he'll just stand there because he's tired.

I was high on him at first but the more I watched, the less I liked.

I'm also getting higher on the thought of Eifert. He's really a bit underrated. Very good athlete, very good size, fantastic hands and body control, extremely productive. Willing to run block. One of the few ND guys that showed up against Alabama. High character.

Really, I'd love to see us draft him to use with Finley for a year and then cut Finley.

I'm not really in love with any of the 3-4 DEs or NTs in the first. Blah. I'd rather wait for what I think is equal talent in the 2nd.

Also do not like Elam. I love his game but I don't want to see us get smaller in the secondary. I do think Cyprien is fantastic, though.

I really would hate an OT in the first, unless Lane Johnson dropped to us. I think below him are all projects.

princefielder28
03-23-2013, 05:02 PM
If TT drafts Cyprien in the first round I'll be thrilled, but I don't see him doing so given the front office and coaching staff's love for Morgan Burnett.

J-Mike88
03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV.
THAT was exactly what I did in 1998 when Randy Moss made it to our pick..... and Wolf chose.... Von Holliday instead.
Sure Vonnie had a nice career, longevity, had some fine moments.

I like Cypien, but I think that McCarthy likes McMillian a lot, and we know they love Burnett.

The Green Bay Packers may never replace Nick Collins. They miss the three-time Pro Bowl safety terribly, even though coach Mike McCarthy believes that there is young talent at the position with Morgan Burnett and M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian and Sean Richardson.

A 2005 second-round pick out of Bethune-Cookman in general manager Ted Thompson’s first draft, Collins suffered what has turned out to be a career-ending neck injury in Week 2 of the 2011 season. The Packers eventually had to release him because he wanted to continue his football career against the Green Bay doctors’ advice, but he has yet to find a team willing to clear him and sign him. It’s unclear whether he’s officially given up hope of playing again.

"Nick’s a great player,” McCarthy said during Wednesday morning’s NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL Meetings at the Arizona Biltmore hotel. “That’s one (where), I don’t think Ted will ever get over that one. You’re talking about a guy that was probably in the middle of a Hall of Fame career. That’s one we talk about quite often, but hey, have you have to move on.”

The Packers have gotten inconsistent safety play ever since from Burnett, a 2010 third-round pick who has flashed his potential; Charlie Peprah, who started for an injured Burnett in 2010 and for Collins in 2011 before his release last summer; and Jennings, McMillian and Richardson after veteran Charles Woodson converted to safety from cornerback but missed nine games with a broken collarbone.

“I really like Morgan Burnett. I feel like he’s going to take a big step this year,” McCarthy said Wednesday. “Morgan does everything that you ask, he’s got to start cashing in on the opportunities he has around the ball. I thought he did an excellent job when Charles went down with his injury playing down around the line of scrimmage. I thought Morgan was extremely disciplined and productive down there.

“I feel very good about Morgan back there, and I like our young guys. McMillian, he’s here everyday. He’s been back for quite some time. He’s in there working out. M.D. Jennings, he needs to grow. He made some strides. Sean Richardson’s back and hopefully he can get healthy. We’ve got some really good young guys.”

princefielder28
03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
NFL Network's Bucky Brooks suggests that LSU S Eric Reid could be a target for the Packers in the late first-round.

This is a big hell no for me. Reid is one of the more overrated players in this draft and he shouldn't draw consideration until round three at the earliest.

SuperPacker
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree with you on Reid. There are quite a few safeties better than him in this class.

J-Mike88
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
This is a big hell no for me. Reid is one of the more overrated players in this draft and he shouldn't draw consideration until round three at the earliest.
Is Brooks not a former Packer DB, who perhaps was on our Super Bowl roster back in the 90's?

What does he know that we don't know?
I guess different opinions of what it takes to play the position in the NFL..... I'm in between on Reid. I think he has the ability to be solid if not spectacular.... but he's Reid not Reed for a reason: He's no Ed.

princefielder28
03-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Is Brooks not a former Packer DB, who perhaps was on our Super Bowl roster back in the 90's?

What does he know that we don't know?
I guess different opinions of what it takes to play the position in the NFL..... I'm in between on Reid. I think he has the ability to be solid if not spectacular.... but he's Reid not Reed for a reason: He's no Ed.

I've watched plenty of LSU games, and I have never sat there and thought, gosh this Reid guy has a chance to be a difference maker at the next level. Does Reid have the measurables of a top tier safety? Yes but we're looking for football players not just athletes.

princefielder28
03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Scott added a second round to his most recent mock and gave the Packers Montee Ball. While I like Ball, there seem to be better values not only at running back but at other positions as well.

J-Mike88
03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
I've watched plenty of LSU games, and I have never sat there and thought, gosh this Reid guy has a chance to be a difference maker at the next level. Does Reid have the measurables of a top tier safety? Yes but we're looking for football players not just athletes.
I would hate Ball in the 2nd round. I don't really want ANY RB that high considering how often they go down & out for us. But since our #1 & #2 picks last year, both on defense, went down and out, I guess it doesn't matter the position. I don't see anything special from Montee though.

Regarding Eric Reid, and your and Brooks' assessment of him, I thought I'd pass along some other opinions of him. Here from NFL.com:

Potential "Perennial Pro Bowl safety"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000151780/LSU-safety-Eric-Reid-pro-comparison

6'1" Height
33 5/8" Arm Length
213LBS. Weight
10" Hands
40.5 Inch Vertical
4.53 Forty

Strengths

Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can get into the backfield if smelling out the play after the snap. Has length and attitude to wrap up ballcarriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into their midsection. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.

Weaknesses
Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn’t hurt him in college.

NFL Comparison
Mark Barron (#7 overall pick last year)

Bottom Line
The next SEC safety on which scouts have their eye, Reid brings the size, athleticism, intelligence and toughness to become an impact player in coverage (14 passes defended in the last two seasons) as well as against the run (91 total tackles) at the next level. The junior can get too overaggressive with his angles, but if Reid can rein in the athleticism, he has plenty of range to make plays all over the field.

Here's a cool article about Reid, makes him seem more likely as our pick should he still be there at 26, which I suspect he will not: http://www.wafb.com/story/18862944/eric-reid

stlouisfan37
03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
This. Hunt lacks any fluidity or leverage in his game; so yeah, his brute strength and straight line speed will get him sacks in conference USA but will be utterly negated by NFL technicians at OLine. All you have to do is point him in a direction and you can wash him out of a play; or you just battle him at the line for a quarter or two and he'll just stand there because he's tired.

I was high on him at first but the more I watched, the less I liked.

I fully agree. I have watched alot of SMU games and have been pulling for him to do well for the last 3 years, but he really doesn't seem to get any better. He is extremely inconsistent. Occasionally he blows up a play and looks like a man among boys, but these plays are few and far between and suggest that they happen when he has "a lucky guess." He is very good on special teams and will block some kicks for whoever gets him.

I have no idea what kind of hands he has, but a couple of times I have thought that he could be a better fit as an inline blocking TE.

It has been suggested that he could go as high as the late 1st round, but I don't see him being deserving of anything higher than a 4th-5th round grade.

princefielder28
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Thompson often targets players who will be able to fill holes created by the following year's free agents. Here's a look at guys entering their final year:

TE Jermichael Finley
DL Ryan Pickett
WR James Jones
LB Clay Matthews (obviously we're gonna give him an extension)
CB Sam Shields
FB John Kuhn
LT Marshall Newhouse
TE Andrew Quarless
C Evan Dietrich-Smith
S Morgan Burnett
DE Mike Neal
DE CJ Wilson
LB Robert Francois
RB James Starks

Considering that list, the 2014 season, it's safe to assume we're going to have quite a bit of turnover with the roster because we can't afford to keep everyone. I believe with this year's draft we're going to continue to invest early round picks on the defensive line, use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a wide receiver, and use our later round picks on developmental players along the offensive line and secondary.

BloodBrother
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
from that list, Clay, Shields and Burnett are the locks to get extensions IMO. If Neal stays healthy and builds off of some of the things he did last year, I'd expect them to bring him back at a pretty modest rate, Wilson to since he IS solid vs the run so he has his value

I don't expect Pickett back, just going by how this team operates. Wrong side of 30...best to let them go a year early rather than a year too late

with Raji due an extension and really sort of questionable whether he deserves one or not, I'm in agreement that I see them going DLine early in the draft.

J-Mike88
03-26-2013, 04:48 PM
from that list, Clay, Shields and Burnett are the locks to get extensions IMO.
Agree... also James Jones & Mike Neal are likely. But if Jones has another great year, he might price himself out of our budget.

princefielder28
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Agree... also James Jones & Mike Neal are likely. But if Jones has another great year, he might price himself out of our budget.

I wouldn't consider Jones likely for an extension after next season because Nelson and Cobb will be looking for new deals as well.

SuperPacker
03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Yeah, Jones could very well be gone next season. He's obviously behind Nelson and Cobb, if he has another big year he could be too expensive to keep long term as a #3 receiver. We could look for one in this years draft and hopefully Jarrett Boykin will come along nicely.

princefielder28
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Justin Pugh is a player who gets criticism for not having the ideal arm length for the tackle position, but when you watch Syracuse tape he is so exceptional. Scott mocked us Menelik Watson in the first, but if we were to go OT I would prefer to take a chance on the guy who may not have the ideal measurables but was dominant in games.

J-Mike88
03-29-2013, 07:04 AM
I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Arthur Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9098648/2013-nfl-draft-todd-mcshay-two-round-mock-draft

Todd McShay just put out his new 2-round mock yesterday, and he doesn't even have Brown anywhere thru 2 rounds. Apparently the scouts he's talked to aren't nearly as high on him as you and I are.
If we look defensive line for round one, Sylvester Williams and Jesse Williams are probably the most likely choices. Jesse being able to play the nose or five technique will be attractive to teams like us.
In the same mock from McShay, he has Sylvester going #22 to the Rams, and Jesse #57 to Houston. #56 pick is another DT Williams, Brandon Williams from MO Southern.

McShay has us, like Kiper, taking project OT Menelik Watson, which I would not love.
He does have us taking DJ Swearinger in Rd 2. He has Jon Cyprien going 6 picks AFTER that, scooped up by the 49ers.

TM has John Jenkins going 31 to the 49ers, and says this about Jenkins:
Analysis: I've become a big fan of Jenkins during film study. He was a little heavy in 2012, but even at 350-plus pounds he moved better than expected, played with a nonstop motor and got more involved in backside pursuit than a lot of 250-pound defensive ends I studied. I'll bet on a guy like that any day. Jenkins has also shed some weight during the draft process, and many feel he is maturing and coming into his own after a tough upbringing. He's not the space-eater his size would seem to indicate, but he can play nose tackle or end in the 49ers' 3-4 scheme and add to the problems their defensive front can create.

As for Justin Pugh, he has him going 29 to the Patriots, and moved to guard because of his short stubby little arms. He seems to like him though:
Analysis: The Patriots have needs at receiver and cornerback, but they have struggled to find good fits there in recent years and might not find quality options at this spot, either. New England has a much better track record up front, though, and Pugh is more NFL-ready than Watson at this point. His shorter arms mean he'll have to move inside to guard, but that should be just fine with the Patriots. They could stand to bolster that area, and Pugh is somewhat of an overlooked talent because of an injury that limited him early in the season.

princefielder28
03-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Kiper and McShay hear a lot from NFL teams, and I have to wonder how much teams are just feeding them BS so they turn around and start spreading word that a certain prospect is drawing a ton of interest or that a prospect is not nearly as high on some boards as others are projecting. In a draft where there's not a ton of disparity between those going in the top 10 and those going in the middle of round two, it's a difficult draft to project.

bigboiajhawk
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
My two dream scenarios:

1) We do an Atlanta Falcons and make a trade with the Bills for the 8th pick and draft Eric Fisher/Lane Johnson

2) We trade back for the Bills 2nd rounder and draft BPA, and with our 2nd round pick we draft Schwenke out of Cal.

TimmG6376
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Posted this over in the Mock Draft forum in response to Robcards 7 rounder. I'd be pretty happy with this result:

Rd1 Jesse Williams
Rd2 Gavin Escobar
Rd3 Terrence Williams
Rd4 Chase Thomas
Rd5a Brennan Williams
Rd5b Zac Stacy
Rd6 Micah Hyde
Rd7 Quanterus Smith

I think Williams/Escobar helps the team more than Eifert/Hunt. Just not a believer in Hunt.

Terrence Williams definitely needs some refinement but has the ability to make plays on the ball downfield. Rodgers has shown he wil give his outside receivers chances even if covered and Terrence can make those plays. He wouldn't have to contribute right away but could soften the blow of likely losing Jones after next season.

Chase Thomas provides needed depth at OLB and maybe even ILB.

Brennan Williams is a value pick here. Starter upside and lots of questions at LT.

Zac Stacy is a good fit in the zone scheme. Could be a steal.

Micah Hyde as developmental FS.

Quanterus Smith has too much potential to pass on in favor of a kicker. I think the competition talk for Crosby is more lip service/motivational tactics than actually interest in replacing him

badgerbacker
04-07-2013, 04:51 AM
Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. Only other thing I could possibly see is a QB late. I would also be a fan of trading down out of the first to acquire an additional 2nd-4th selection.

SuperPacker
04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
What I did in the "5 rounds in 5 days" forum mock. Personally, i'm not a huge fan and think I could've done better. I went in focusing too much on getting help on defense instead of just going BPA like I would normally do.

1. Johnathan Cyprien, FS, Florida International
2. John Jenkins, NT, Georgia
3. Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
4. Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
5. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
5. Nick Becton, OT, Virginia Tech
5. Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State

My favorite picks were Christine Michael and Nick Becton. Both have potential to be very good players and they both fill needs, with Michael probably being able to start from day 1.

It was only 5 rounds, but if it had gone on longer I would've looked to add Mario Benavides and Dustin Hopkins/Caleb Sturgis with our last two picks.

princefielder28
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Don't beat yourself up, SP. Cyprien and Becton are my favorite selections and overall you did well.

Sportsfan486
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
What's with the Jesse Williams love all of a sudden? I don't think he's anything special. I get that he's got versatility in a 3-4 scheme to play end or NT, which is an especially valuable trait in our brand of 3-4, but he also brings absolutely nothing as a pass rusher and is essentially a two-down player. You can get a 2 down NT/run-stuffed 3-4 DE in the 4th round. What's the point of his versatility position wise when all he brings is run stuffing?

I would like him in the 4th, I'd probably cry if we took him in the first or second.

I'm also wondering if we don't take a swing at Ogletree if he drops to us. I get that character concerns aren't TT's thing but there have been a couple times he's looked past it when talent is there in spades. I know we think ILB won't happen now that Jones was resigned.. which is exactly why I think it might. And Ogletree is a special talent that would be a lock for the top 15 if not for said character concerns.

It will definitely be an interesting draft.

princefielder28
04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Ogletree has zero chance of happening. We already pay Bishop, Hawk and Jones a good deal of money, and all three won't see the field at the same time; much less add a first round pick to the mix.

Sportsfan486
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Ogletree has zero chance of happening. We already pay Bishop, Hawk and Jones a good deal of money, and all three won't see the field at the same time; much less add a first round pick to the mix.

I agree it wouldn't make sense.. but I always fear we'll do the senseless. Then again, that all really stems from the Harrell first round pick. Do we want Joe Staley? Nah, let's draft an injured DT from Tennessee. Argh! (Granted the Staley pick only makes sense in hindsight.) Since then it's been pretty logical, though.

Regardless, I don't get the love for NTs this year in the first. Unless Star dropped to us, which would be so, so awesome, any NT in the first would disappoint me. I don't want to draft a d-lineman with only one sack (Hankins and Jesse) or with a lackluster motor (Sylvester.)

princefielder28
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Regardless, I don't get the love for NTs this year in the first. Unless Star dropped to us, which would be so, so awesome, any NT in the first would disappoint me. I don't want to draft a d-lineman with only one sack (Hankins and Jesse) or with a lackluster motor (Sylvester.)

I don't love many of the nose tackle options either. Brandon Williams in the 2nd round is probably my favorite.

Sylvester Williams would be more of a five technique for us, and I wouldn't say he has a questionable motor because he is one of the hardest working players in this entire draft; he struggled this past season making the "statistical play". He often disrupted plays but didn't make the tackle as much as he probably should've.

CheeseKnuckles
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Tell me what you think about this scenario...

I think Geno Smith will still be available around our 1st round pick and I think Buffalo might be willing to trade up to get him at that point... so if we could land that by them trading us their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

2a. Menelik Watson, OT
2b. Le'Veon Bell, RB
3a. Brian Schwenke, OC
3b. Kiko Alonso, ILB
4. Vance McDonald, TE
5a. Aaron Mellette, WR
5b. Quinton Dial, DE
6. Earl Wolff, S
7. Dan Buckner, WR

Just let me know what you think about the players I picked.

Sportsfan486
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Tell me what you think about this scenario...

I think Geno Smith will still be available around our 1st round pick and I think Buffalo might be willing to trade up to get him at that point... so if we could land that by them trading us their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

2a. Menelik Watson, OT
2b. Le'Veon Bell, RB
3a. Brian Schwenke, OC
3b. Kiko Alonso, ILB
4. Vance McDonald, TE
5a. Aaron Mellette, WR
5b. Quinton Dial, DE
6. Earl Wolff, S
7. Dan Buckner, WR

Just let me know what you think about the players I picked.

I don't see the value in Watson, who is solely a RT imo. Bell reminds me of James Starks, albeit not as upright of a runner, and I'm not sure why we'd go for another player of that type.

Alonso is a guy I like talent wise but he has major red flags character and health wise.

I like McDonald in the 4th a LOT.

The later guys are always a crapshoot, so won't judge them too much.

princefielder28
04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
The Packers have scheduled a visit with Princeton DE Mike Catapano in the near future.

Packers beat writer Bob McGinn notes that the Packers visits have focused on likely undrafted free agents or players with medical questions. We don't know of any red flags in Catapano's injury history, but there is a chance he is not selected in the sixth- or seventh-round. His hips are a bit tight for an edge rusher, but Catapano has a very strong upper body.

J-Mike88
04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Catapano has been compared to Aaron Kampman by some.
Not sure if that's a good thing or bad because A) Kampman was great.
B) In a 4-3 defense.

Prince not only do we pay Bishop, Hawk, and Brad Jones at ILB, we also like DJ Smith... if he can come back this year from his injury.

I do really think we could upgrade EACH of those guys, a lot though, starting with the dude from K-State.... Arthur Brown.

But they have enough ILB's they apparently liked.... I don't know what they thought they saw versus Kaepernick. I feel we got no better vs him as the game went on. Was it all scheme?

princefielder28
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I think Rashaan Melvin (CB, Northern Illinois) is a name we're going to have to remember as a late round draft pick or undrafted free agent for this team.

PACKmanN
04-11-2013, 01:55 AM
I REALLY hope TT doesn't fall in love with Teo. We know Ted's obsession for linebackers and linebackers like Teo

J-Mike88
04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I REALLY hope TT doesn't fall in love with Teo. We know Ted's obsession for linebackers and linebackers like Teo
AGREE 100%, plus remember there are those rumors of Manti's sexuality, and there are more than "rumors" about Teddy.

I'd puke in my mouth if we took him, although I firmly believe our ILBs (without Bishop) are so subpar, a lot of college guys could upgrade it. But they are playing Hawk, Bish, and Brad Jones already.

Sportsfan486
04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
AGREE 100%, plus remember there are those rumors of Manti's sexuality, and there are more than "rumors" about Teddy.

Lolwat??? I love you J-Mike, but one of your stranger posts.

princefielder28
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Lolwat??? I love you J-Mike, but one of your stranger posts.

He's referring to the speculation in the past that TT is homosexual.

J-Mike88
04-13-2013, 10:55 PM
He's referring to the speculation in the past that TT is homosexual.
Right thanks.... but I don't think it's really even "speculation" anymore compared to "assumed".... regardless, ironic that we heard about questions about Manti's sexuality.....

486, Have I not had other stranger posts? lol

princefielder28
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's what I've manage to do in the final forum mock so far

26 (26). DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
25 (55). Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
26 (88). Phillip Thomas, Safety, Fresno State
25 (122). Ryan Jensen, T/G/C, Colorado State-Pueblo
26 (159). Green Bay Packers
34 (167). Green Bay Packers (compensatory selection)
25 (193). Green Bay Packers
26 (232). Green Bay Packers

J-Mike88
04-15-2013, 06:09 PM

Were/Are our problems mostly on offense or defense?
I thought our offense was still pretty damn good.

But if those guys are the clear BPA, we'll take it... only time will tell though as always.

princefielder28
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Were/Are our problems mostly on offense or defense?
I thought our offense was still pretty damn good.

But if those guys are the clear BPA, we'll take it... only time will tell though as always.

Our offense was pretty good, but looking to this next season and beyond, we'll have to replenish our receiving corp, try to get a guy we can rely on as a #1 back and depth along the offensive line is always a must.

J-Mike88
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Teddy almost always drafts 1-3 guys who WE have never heard of, or imagined.

PF, throw out some of the many no-names who could possibly be that guy this time.

James Jones and Mike Neal were nowhere in anyone's mind when they were chosen, and high.

Then some later guys as well.

I'm tired now, need sleep.

princefielder28
04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
First I'd look at the official visits

DE/OLB Andy Mulumba, Eastern Michigan

WR Eric Rogers, Cal Lutheran

FB Kyle Juszczyk, Harvard

CB Rashaan Melvin, Northern Illinois

WR Charles Johnson, Grand Valley State

FB Ina Liaina, San Jose State

S Don Jones, Arkansas State

WR Kevin Dorsey, Maryland

G Lane Taylor, Oklahoma State

DE/OLB Nate Palmer, Illinois State

CB Jumal Rolle, Catawba

DE Mike Catapano, Princeton

RB Michael Hill, Missouri Western

C Patrick Lewis, Texas A&M

S Jakar Hamilton, South Carolina State

Players I like

Other names I would add:

QB Ryan Griffin, Tulane
FB Zach Line, Southern Methodist
TE Josh Hill, Idaho State
OL Ryan Jensen, Colorado State-Pueblo
OG Edmund Kugbila, Valdosta State
C Lamar Mady, Youngstown State
DT Nicholas Williams, Samford
DT Jared Smith, New Hampshire
LB Jayson DiManche, Southern Illinois
LB Brandon Hepburn, Florida A&M
CB Dax Swanson, Sam Houston State

badgerbacker
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM

26 (159). Green Bay Packers
34 (167). Green Bay Packers (compensatory selection)
25 (193). Green Bay Packers
26 (232). Green Bay Packers

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't really light my world on fire, but I get the pick. Didn't really analyze how the forum draft went down, but I will pretty much stand by the Ted Thompson philosophy of taking the top player available or trading down. I'd probably prefer a trade out of the 1st in this draft unless somebody unexpectedly falls, but I wouldn't be upset with Hopkins as I think he'd benefit us now and even more so in the future.

I'm with you with on Johnathan Franklin. I think he's a great all around back who can be the main guy leaving Harris as a change of pace.

Thomas is obviously a risk given the injury, but he seemed to come back strong and could be a steal...love the pick.

I'll admit I don't know much about Jensen, but if he can play every spot on the line that would add some great depth and Ted definitely likes versatile guys.

Overall a good job. Probably grade it at B or B+ without looking at who else was available at those picks. Hopefully you can grab a pass rusher and developmental QB later.

princefielder28
04-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Finished up with the Final Forum Mock

26 (159). Nicholas Williams, DT, Samford
34 (167). Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard
25 (193). Rashaan Melvin, CB, Northern Illinois
26 (232). Eric Martin, OLB, Nebraska

J-Mike88
04-18-2013, 10:54 PM
My Ted Thompson Mock:

Fill in the Blanks

Round 1, Pick 26, #26 overall
Round 2, Pick 25, #55 overall
Round 3, Pick 26, #88 overall
Round 4, Pick 25, #122 overall
Round 5, Pick 26, #159 overall
Round 5, Pick 34, #167 overall (Compensatory Selection)
Round 6, Pick 25, #193 overall
Round 7, Pick 26, #232 overall

Pick 26: Trade
Packers trade pick #26 overall to Cincinnati for their two 2nd round picks (#37 & #53). Bengals are shocked a guy they had rated #14 on their big board is still on board and they trade up to get another 1st round selection in.

Packers trade pick #37 overall & #193 overall to San Francisco for their #61, #74, #93.
In essence, the Packers trade the early 2nd & late 6th and get a late 2nd, early 3rd, and late 3rd.

NET DRAFT:

2nd Rd
#53- WR QUINTON PATTON, Louisiana Tech
#55- DT/NT JESSE WILLIAMS, Alabama
#61- RB JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN, UCLA

3rd Rd
#74- S PHILLIP THOMAS, Fresno St
#88- TE VANCE McDONALD, Rice#93

4th Rd
#122- OT LUKE MARQUARDT, Azusa Pacific

5th Rd
#159- CB RASHAAN MELVIN, Northern Illinois
#167 (comp)- OL DAVID QUESSENBERRY, San Jose St

7th Rd
#232- OLB BRANDON JENKINS, Florida St

Remember, Thompson is just as confident with his 3rd, 4th, 5th Rd picks as he is his 1st and 2nd.

There are always a pick or two from him where we all say "who????".
And he loves to trade down.

I don't think Thompson expected to select a TE early like many see with Zach Eifert to us at 26 in mocks, but TT's shocked McDonald is there at 88 as he has him rated around 55-60, so he snatches up his BPA there. Remember, Quarless probably won't have the same speed if or when he's back, J-Mike never seemed to regain his speed from before his knee, and DJ Williams hasn't shown much yet either. Taylor is not much of a threat as a receiver.

On McDonald:
McDonald showed at the Combine that he is a physical specimen and a rare athlete. He had one of the faster 40 times and led all of the tight ends on the bench press (31 reps). McDonald had a good showing at the Senior Bowl, too. He used his quickness and route-running to get open and make plays downfield. McDonald is a unique athlete who could go earlier than expected on draft day. http://walterfootball.com/draft2013TE.php

J-Mike88
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Where the hell you at PF28?
You should love this mock.

princefielder28
04-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Where the hell you at PF28?
You should love this mock.

Hey, I saw the mock the other day. I'd be cool with many of those picks, but there's no chance in hell that Cincinnati would do that deal. There's just not that many "wow" players in this draft and the player you're going to get late in the first won't be much different than those in the middle of round two.

PACKmanN
04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Round 1, #26 overall
- Johnathan Cyprien, S, Flordia International
- I really, REALLY, do not like anyone avaible here for Packers. I also don't see any team willing to trade up this high(even the teams that need a qb.) We're forced to take
someone. I WOULD love Le'Von Bell, but I don't see Thompson being in-love with any of the running backs. I think he's a poor man's Ahman Green(Remember, he is the guy who didn't value Lynch)

Round 3, #67 Overall (TRADE DOWN W/ PHI #55 OVERALL)
- Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
Hard choice, between getting Travis Fredrick or Barrett Jones here.

Round 3, #88 overall
- Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State

Round 4(A), #101 overall (TRADE DOWN W/ PHI #55 OVERALL)
- Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State

Round 4(B), #126 overall (TRADE UP W/ BUCS #159 OVERALL & #232 OVERALL)
- Devin Taylor, DL, South Carolina

Round 4(C), Pick 25, #122 overall
- John Simon, LB, Ohio State

Round 5, Pick 34, #167 overall (Compensatory Selection)
- J.C. Tretter, OL, Cornell

Round 6(A), #193 overall
- Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

J-Mike88
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I would love getting Cyprien.
And Wheaton.
And Knile Davis that late.
Barrett Jones I feel is very undervalued.

PACKmanN
04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Honestly, I threw Cyprien in there. Ted has always replaced aging guys with talent from his draft. This year, there isn't anyone from the past aside from Pickett. Ted drafted his replacement last year(Worthy).

I have a weird feeling Ted may draft a DE and we may move back to the 4-3. The front seven would look so good if we ran it like how the Seahawks run their defense

DE: Tank(ROOKIE), Wilson
DT: Worthy, Neal, Daniels
DT: Raji, Pickett
LEO: Perry, Moses
OLB: Matthews, Jones
ILB: Bishop, Smith
OLB: Hawk, Manning/Francis

princefielder28
04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
We're not moving to a 43 defense, especially after giving Clay an extension. We are not going to implement a defensive scheme that hurts the effectiveness of our best defensive player.

CheeseKnuckles
04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Finished up with the Final Forum Mock

26 (159). Nicholas Williams, DT, Samford
34 (167). Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard
25 (193). Rashaan Melvin, CB, Northern Illinois
26 (232). Eric Martin, OLB, Nebraska

I love the first 3 picks.... Though my favorite for us in round 1 is Sylvester Williams.

Franklin and Thomas would be great additions in my opinion!

Another player I like is a RB from UCF. Latavius (not sure on last name), hes a big back. Would be a good pairing with Harris!

J-Mike88
04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Everyone throw out 20 names they think have a good chance to be drafted by us this week.... let's see if ANY of us get ANY guys right.

I never saw anyone with Michael Neal, James Jones, Josh Sitton, Jaron McMillian.....

I'm gonna need til Wednesday to get my list of 20. I've never had more than 1 fricking guy right before under Teddy, since his 2nd draft with Hawk at #5. (Will Blackmon IIRC).

mqtirishfan
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Tyler Eifert, Bjoern Werner, Travis Frederick, Justin Hunter, Terron Armstead, Kyle Long, Giovani Bernard, Barrett Jones, Shamarko Thomas, Markus Wheaton, Le'Veon Bell, Cornelius Washington, Knile Davis, Kwame Geathers, Dion Sims, Zac Dysert, Dustin Hopkins, Lawrence Okoye, Marquess Wilson, Brennan Williams

PACKmanN
04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
We're not moving to a 43 defense, especially after giving Clay an extension. We are not going to implement a defensive scheme that hurts the effectiveness of our best defensive player.
That, i understand. I'm just figuring out what actual value there is for us at 26, or early in the second round.
Everyone throw out 20 names they think have a good chance to be drafted by us this week.... let's see if ANY of us get ANY guys right.

I never saw anyone with Michael Neal, James Jones, Josh Sitton, Jaron McMillian.....

I'm gonna need til Wednesday to get my list of 20. I've never had more than 1 fricking guy right before under Teddy, since his 2nd draft with Hawk at #5. (Will Blackmon IIRC).
2009 was my best year with predictions as to what Ted would do. I figured he would go Raji in the first and get Lang somewhere. I knew once I saw Lang, he would be on Ted's radar.

As for this year, Barrett Jones/ Travis Fredrick just seem the obvious. Whoever is available for Ted to take somewhere at the top of the 3rd round(I except a trade up or down to occur.)

My 20 Names to look out for;

Le'Von Bell, Johnathan Franklin, Knile Davis, Chris Harper, Da'Rick Rogers, Markus Wheaton, Jake Stoneburner, Alvin Bailey, J.C. Tretter, Travis Fredrick, Barrett Jones, Bjoern Werner, Devin Taylor, Mike Catapano, John Simon, Sam Montgomery, Shawn Williams, Duke Williams, Rontez Miles, Kwame Geathers

mqtirishfan
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I think a guy like Tank Carradine could be useful at 26 even if we don't change schemes if we wanted to play around with multiple looks. Run a base 3-4, but have packages with 4 down linemen and Clay rushing from the Sam position.

Smokey
04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Checking in again as I tend to do this time of year. Will be following the discussion for the next week or so with interest! The DraftCountdown is a great place to pick up a fan's read on picks, a few of which are bound to come out of left field.

TT has shown if anything his strategy can be unpredictable, if largely sound. I fully expect a trade down out of the 1st if he can swing it. A trade up in the 1st would be a shocker.

I've put together a Packers mock, for what it's worth. Details below:

1-26: Margus Hunt, Defensive End, SMU
This guy is a physical freak. A 6'8", 278 pound raider out of Estonia. His combine numbers, for a man his size, are world class. He's still relatively new to football but has shown marked improvement every year in college and came one shy of breaking the NCAA record for blocked kicks.
With a bit of development he could become a starter for years to come and should excel in the D Line rotation and especially on special teams in the short term.

2-55: DJ Swearinger, Safety, South Carolina
A fast riser so I'm hoping he'll still be available for us in the 2nd round. He's got great instincts and is a sound and solid tackler. I suspect that TT is going to give MacMillan another year to take the starting job but Swearinger would be a solid safety. Nose Tackle or a quality left tackle, like Watson should he fall, might be a good option.

3-88: Travis Kelce, Tight End, Cincinnati
Finley, it seems, is getting a year to prove himself. Kelce had an injury preventing his working out at the combine and this has hurt his draft stock. He seems a complete, well rounded tight end and a willing blocker. An additional weapon in the passing game would be welcome and Kelce should slot into special teams well as he develops.

4-122: David Quessenberry, Offensive Line, San Jose State
Quessenberry has the versatility TT covets, showing the ability to play every position on the offensive line. He is slight for an O lineman but a year or two in the weight program should add bulk to his frame. The word on this guy is his versatility and that fits the mold.

5-159: Cobi Hamilton, Wide Receiver, Arkansas
Greg Jennings has moved on, saldy, to the damned Vikings. But, then again, we've seen that show before with mixed results. His departure does raise a developmental need at receiver as Jordy, Jones, and Cobb seem to have the top slots locked up. Here's hoping Boykin steps up as well. Hamilton caught 90 balls last year and flashed big in several games. He seems a steady receiver and while his combine numbers don't wow you, he has been shown to be a productive receiver.

5(Comp)-167: Brandon Jenkins OLB/DE, Florida State

TT has shown a willingness to take players that fall due to injury a number of times. Depth at OLB is needed and, if Jenkins should return to form, will prove a steal. He went out the first week with a broken foot but prior to that there was talk of his going in the first round. He is an explosive pass rusher off the edge and while he needs to get better against the run should prove an excellent situational player for the Packers.

6-193: Kwame Geathers NT, Georgia

Another falling player due to questions as to his work ethic and poor combine numbers, this is the sort of player TT will snap up when he falls. Geathers was a part time player and would have been better served with another year at Georgia but chose to come out early. But, as TT says, you can never have enough big bodies and this behomoth certainly fits the bill.

7-232: Kenny Okoro CB, Wake Forest

Okoro shows excellent physical tools but needs to learn technique and play up to his high potential. He is a willing tackler and with some seasoning has the potential to develop into a solid corner in the NFL. In the interim he can serve on special teams.

princefielder28
04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Hunt would make me cringe. Best analogy I keep referencing with him is that he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. When you factor in that he's already 26, he doesn't make for the most intriguing first round pick.

Smokey
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I keep picturing his big mitts raising up over the line, smacking down kicks and passes alike. Looking for JJ Watt maybe, but I think with some seasoning he could be the real deal.

mqtirishfan
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I'd be happy with something like this if we didn't trade...

26 (26). Bjoern Werner, DE
25 (55). Kyle Long, OT
26 (88). Markus Wheaton, WR
25 (122). Le'Veon Bell, RB
26 (159). Cornelius Washington, OLB
34 (167). Dustin Hopkins, K
25 (193). Kwame Geathers, DT
26 (232). Lawrence Okoye, DE

And if you'll allow me to fantasize about trades a little bit here...

We trade 26 and 88 to Cincy for 37 and 53
Then we trade 55 and 159 for 77 and 82

2 (37). Justin Hunter, WR
2 (53). DJ Swearinger, FS
3 (77). Kawaan Short, DT
3 (82). Barrett Jones, C
4 (122) Le'Veon Bell, RB
5 (167) Devin Taylor, DE
6 (193) Marquess Wilson, WR
7 (232) Zac Dysert, QB

bigboiajhawk
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I like Hunt, but I didn't like that he was awful during one on ones in the Senior Bowl. I have a feeling he was thinking too much, but he just did not look good. If we are going to go with a project, I would rather draft Terron Armstead, LT - he is also a freak athletically, but he looked good in his bowl games.

SuperPacker
04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I have no idea how I want our draft to go. But i'll know if I like it after we've done.

Just hoping we get some good players. Don't really care much for our needs this year. We have loads of smaller/minor needs, but nothing major. BPA is definitely on the cards, I don't see us moving about like we did last year.

bigboiajhawk
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I have no idea how I want our draft to go. But i'll know if I like it after we've done.

Just hoping we get some good players. Don't really care much for our needs this year. We have loads of smaller/minor needs, but nothing major. BPA is definitely on the cards, I don't see us moving about like we did last year.

I am the same....I could see us going so many different routes that it makes my head spin.

I mean realistically, we could draft a RB, WR, TE, LT, C (probably not), DE, ILB, or S in the first round.

My list of guys I would be okay with for our 1st Round Pick:

Eddie Lacy - To me we either draft Lacy early, or we draft a RB in rounds 4-7 (Maysonet, Stacy, etc).

Robert Woods/Justin Hunter/DeAndre Hopkins - I am a fan of all 3 of these guys, all with different abilities.

Tyler Eifert - I don't think we should draft a TE this year because A)We have some depth at the TE position and B)Iowa has a TE that I want the Pack to draft next year. However, Eifert has great size/speed/catching ability, so I would be okay with it.

Menelik Watson/Terron Armstead - I am a huge fan of drafting either of these guys. Watson will go somewhere in Round 1. Armstead is a guy that I really like, and I wish the Pack would just trade down to the top 10 picks in the 2nd round and pick him up. By far, our LT's have sucked, and I really dont want to see another year of Marshall Newhouse getting beat badly. I really wouldn't care if we drafted Armstead in Round 1.

Margus Hunt - We need some height and length on our DL, and he provides that. He is a project and he is older, but say it takes him two years to figure out the NFL, he will still have 4 or 5 good years left in him, and his ceiling is very very high.

Datone Jones - Decent size and a good player.

Eric Reid/John Cyprien - I like both of these guys. Reid is the better athlete, but each year at LSU he got better. Cyprien is the better player today and he can really lay the hammer.

Guys I do not want the Pack to Draft Round 1:

Justin Pugh/Manti Teo

J-Mike88
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Hunt would make me cringe. Best analogy I keep referencing with him is that he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. When you factor in that he's already 26, he doesn't make for the most intriguing first round pick.
He's had some games where he wasn't a stud for sure, but there were some games he TOOK OVER. You can't deny that.
There were some games where Cullen Jenkins name was never called.
There were games where Jerel Worthy's name was never called.
Same with BJ Raji. We need some help at DE on this team, and he'd provide the heighth.... our DE's are shorter than typical for this scheme. He's not.

Hunt is still 25.

Also, I talked to him last week.... decent guy, mature.... he said TT talked to him at the combine or senior bowl (I can't remember which he said, or both)... he also said TT is an SMU Grad, which I didn't even remember. Could be a nice fit, but I predict Hunt is taken by a different great team like New England or San Francisco.

Guys I do not want in Round 1:

Justin Pugh/Manti Teo
Prince is gonna kick ya ass!

WCH
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM

This might be fun. I'm going to get drunk and make a list of names. I called the Nick Perry pick last year, but that was it. I liked the Worthy and Hayward picks a lot, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed those picks.

princefielder28
04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
He's had some games where he wasn't a stud for sure, but there were some games he TOOK OVER. You can't deny that.

For playing in Conference USA, Hunt was just another guy most of the time and of course there were instances where he "flashed" but he's a non-factor far too often to make me get excited about his game.

BloodBrother
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
With TT, you never know which way he'll go. They definitely need another WR and they have been looking for a RB for YEARS, but personally I'm hoping they get some goddamn tough HOGS up front on the OL and DL. It all starts there and this team's OL/DL just doesn't stack up vs the physical teams in the conference. Raji having another stud next to him likely elevates his game and it just creates a domino effect throughout the entire D. They need to get stronger up front, period

I want a NT or DE and OT/OG early and often. They could conceivably trade down 10-15 spots and still get a good NT + adding another top 100 pick

there's 0% chance of it but damn would it be great if they traded up to get Lotulelei

PACKmanN
04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
The Packers are flying Benson in to check out how he is. Maybe, he is resigned due to the fact they do not like anyone in the early rounds.

Also, Da'Rick Rogers is a guy I think Ted likes. TT doesn't care for attiude problem WRs(He loved Crabtree and Dez.) You could find similar aspects of both those guys in Rogers' game

People talk about how perfect of a fit Woods is, and I do love Woods, but so is Rogers

As for Hunt, I wouldn't touch him in a 3-4. He needs to play at 300. He's about 270. That's 30 pounds of muscle(not just weight) He has to add to his 6'8 frame. Ted loved Smith when he was with the Bengals; Ted even tried to bring him in, but Hunt is too old of a prospect and too raw to draft so early.