PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Philadelphia Eagles Draft Thread

Todd Bertuzzi
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Didn't see one so I figured I'd start one. Right now there really are only 2 clear directions for us to go the way I see it, those being safety and OT.

The need for an OT depends a lot on Peters' recovery. Even then we could always stand to add some depth on the O-line and we all know how much Reid loves to look to the trenches in round 1.

On defense it seems like we've been struggling to find a replacement in the backfield since we parted ways with Dawkins. We reached on Jarrett and that failed miserably. Allen's outcome is still up in the air but I wouldn't mind nabbing a FS in round 1 to upgrade over Coleman. We neglected WR for a while before Reid went Jackson and Maclin in back to back years and I think this could be the year we stop neglecting S in round 1.

A wildcard pick could be another WR. This year seems like as good a year as any to have that need with guys like Hunter, Wilson, Woods, Rodgers, etc... all being able to fill that big body role that we're currently lacking. If one of them slips to the second round I wouldn't be surprised if we snatched them up like the Bears did with Jeffrey last season.

Todd Bertuzzi
10-05-2012, 02:47 AM
http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/T.J.-McDonald.jpg

do want

SickwithIt1010
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
SC football has always been my true love, im from that area and always been more of a west coast fan. I became an eagles fan because of McNabb. But TJ is one helluva player man, really. He could play strong or free to be completely honest, real physical player with the fluidity to play in coverage. Would be a great fit for us.

igglefanz
10-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Its why I have been screaming for the last 2 years a big body WR. Would help Vick out so much if he had that big quick fire slant target. I know I will be beating that drum again this year lol.

Will have to see how Peters recovers I mean if he comes back to somewhere close to what he was then I am not as worried take a project like Herremans was a few years ago later in the draft. If not sure or it looks bad early round pick.

cunningham06
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I feel like this year we need to overhaul our offensive line. I agree we need a safety and a big body WR would be nice, but our offensive line is so bad it can't be ignored. Danny Watkins appears to be a total bust, who knows if Peters will ever be the same player, and Vick/Foles are running for their lives out there.

I think Foles has shown enough so far for us to not take a QB high in this years' draft. If we get some maulers on this O-line paired with a new coaching staff, this offense could shift to a dominant run game and then we could reduce Foles's responsibility.

It may not be a sexy draft, but neither was the 49ers draft where they took Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati and that panned out great.

cunningham06
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Move Herremans back to guard, and draft this man!

http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0822/rn_i_jakematthews_ms_400.jpg

Todd Bertuzzi
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't think we need a drastic rebuild on the line like you're suggesting, we just need to get healthy. A lot relies on Peters' health really. Even if he makes it back I still wouldn't be at all opposed to taking a franchise LT like Joeckel. Has Peters ever played the right side before?

Joeckel-Herremans-Kelce-Mathis-Peters
OR
Joeckel-Watkins-Kelce-Mathis-Herremans

I still don't see Foles as a long term solution at QB for us. Unfortunately I also don't see a top tier QB in this class that I think would be that long term solution. Lot's of solid guys but no one who has really set themselves apart. It sucks that the one year we need a QB and we're going to be picking high there's no one available.

Our red zone offense has been one of if not the worst in the league for a while now. We can't just continue to ignore that and we need to bring in a big body receiver. I wouldn't totally be against trading Jackson tbh. He's a one trick pony as a deep threat. Too small to play in the slot and he's useless as soon as we hit the redzone and he can't get in behind the dbs. Deal him for a pick and roll Woods/Hunter/Bowe, Maclin, Avant. Have to think we could get at least a 2nd for him.

Sign Bowe
Round 1. Joeckel
Round 2. TJ McDonald
Round 2. Poyer/Trufant

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
If I were to rank my personal preference right now I would go with

1) QB - Preferably Tyler Wilson, I am not on the Foles wagon yet and I feel if we bring in a new staff they will want their own guy...If Wilson is available I think he has the best chance of being a franchise QB.

2) OL - Preferably Joeckel because he is the best of the class, like Cunningham stated...move Herremans back to LG and play him at RT unless Peters has a set back.

3) Safety - I love me some Eric Reid...the guy is a missile and just a ball hawk. He would be great to have at FS. I like McDonald too being a USC fan, but I see him going more 2nd or 3rd round right now.

Todd Bertuzzi
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
I think it's important to remember while Foles did look good last week it was against the worst pass d in the league. Still didn't really have a completion over 15 yards through the air unless you count the prayer Avant somehow came down with.

igglefanz
12-13-2012, 02:33 AM
I am not 100% sold on Foles either but i have hope and i like what i see so far, but I want to watch him the rest of the year. He is gonna get a good test tonight against Cincy. I never hated the Foles pick and after Russell he was the QB i wanted the Eagles to get.

Also have to factor in that there is no shady, the line is depleted and no Jackson. He made Riley Cooper of all people look good against Clairborne in that Dallas game.

Also it could very well happen that Alex Smith could be cut after this year. Not perfect but I think Alex is as good and more NFL ready then any QB in this class. Really though I think Joeckel is the best pick we could have at that point and we really do have to take him. Peters is not Suggs and he may never return to form he is a 350 lb man with an injury to a major tendon. I hope he does and that he is in at least shape but i fear any injury that keeps a big OL off his feet for a long time.

superman8456
12-18-2012, 01:34 AM
As long as we're being completely honest about the state of the Eagles, it should be noted that our roster is pretty much up **** creek without a paddle.

The needs are plentiful. Besides Demeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks, our defense is pretty putrid and has most definitely underperformed. Of course there are quality pieces in Trent Cole and Fletcher Cox, but I'm hesistant to include any other players on that side of the ball.

Hopefully by breaking down each position, it will give us a greater understanding of just how bad the shape of this roster is.

Defensive End
Trent Cole: All-Pro caliber player, but he didn't play like it this season. For supposedly an anchor of the defensive line, 3 sacks is hardly the production needed. He definitely is a piece that we need to keep, but this could be early signs of a regression with age.
Vinny Curry: Need to see more. Hopefully the fact that he has virtually seen no playing time this season isn't an indicator of what is to come for him.
Darryl Tapp: Decent back-up player, but thats what he should be.
Brandon Graham: Stepped up his play this year, but I'm still not a believer that he is a long-term solution.
Phillip Hunt: Feel good story, stats don't quite show his impact. Good player, but he will probably just be depth.

Grade - B

Defensive Tackle
Fletcher Cox: First round pick and has lived up to the billing in my opinion. I know we rotate our line a lot, but he has made an impact. Would like to see an improvement against the run.
Cullen Jenkins: I like him because hes a competitor and produces.
Cedric Thornton: Great depth player, I still see even more room for him to improve on top of his incredible growth.
Derek Landri: I don't think he's starting quality.
Mike Patterson: Didn't like him before the injuries, now I think he's an easy cut.

Grade - B+

Linebacker
Mychal Kendricks: stud
Demeco Ryans: I believe that he is a player we can build around.
Jamar Chaney: Decent enough player. Not overly productive.
Casey Matthews: special teamer
Akeem Jordan: special teamer
Ryan Rau: who?

Grade - B-

Cornerback
Nnamdi Asomugha: We know what he once was, but he just hasn't been playing like it.
DRC: Good player
Brandon Boykin: has made a good impact as a rookie, good fit for the nickle in the future
Curtis Marsh: fits the press scheme
Brandon Hughes: special teamer

Grade - C

Safeties
Nate Allen: Hasn't panned out. I'm ready to move on.
Kurt Coleman: Hate him. Cut.
David Sims: I like, but not love, the small sample size. Could be a good depth player.
Colt Anderson: phenomenal special teamer, would like to see a more expanded role

Grade - F

Quarterback
Michael Vick: Regressed, we're gonna move on. Easy cut.
Nick Foles: I like what I've seen.
Trent Edwards: Good depth. Experienced.

Grade - C

Runningback
Lesean McCoy: great player, unfortunate injuries
Bryce Brown: so much potential, gotta fix the fumble issue or he won't play
Dion Lewis: good player.
Stanley Havili: I like him. Well-rounded game.
Chris Polk: would like to see an expanded role

Grade - A

Wide Receiver
Jeremy Maclin: good, not great, player
Desean Jackson: deep-threat, great player
Jason Avant: best role player we have on the team
Riley Cooper: big guy, has responded well to increased role
Damaris Johnson: awesome pickup
Marvin McNutt: eh

Grade - A

Tight End
Brent Celek: regressed, I think we could do better
Clay Harbor: role player
Emil Igwenagu: versatile, special teamer

Grade - C

Offensive Line
Jason Peters: no idea how he will respond to the injuries
Evan Mathis: quality starter
Jason Kelce: bad injury, hopefully he can come back
Herremans: out of position at OT
Danny Watkins: bum
Jake Scott: don't think he is gonna be with us long-term
Dennis Kelly: who? honestly, he hasn't played
King Dunlap: good depth
Demetress Bell: cut

Grade - D+

All in all, injuries have decimated this team this season, but to bank on players coming back to be the same player after season-ending injuries is flawed logic. Other players have underperformed, either due to coaching staff or trying to do too much. This team has SO many needs its ridiculous.

In summation I belive we need:
1) safeties (both spots)
2) QB
3) tight end
4) offensive line help
5) linebacker help
6) corner help

superman8456
12-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Our team's free agents this offseason are:

DRC
Jake Scott
Akeem Jordan
Derek Landri
Jon Dorenbos
Kind Dunlap
Darryl Tapp

Dunlap might get offered a starting role somewhere else. DRC will most likely ask for too much money. We might let Darryl Tapp just walk due to the log-jam at DE. Akeem Jordan only really has special teams value.

I would love to see how much cap room we have for next season. Anyone have a ballpark estimate where we're at?

EDIT: I'm looking at some players that will likely make it to free agency, and some names that pop out are: Kenny Phillips, Will Beatty, Jake Long, Branden Albert and Dashon Goldson

eaglesalltheway
12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to categorically deny it as a possibility, but any team who offers King Dunlap a starting spot should be laughed out of the league. I'm not sure what's going to happen with DRC, it may depend on Asomugha. Landri is a guy that the team may be able to bring back if they want, Jake Scott as well, though that'll depend on what happens with Danny Watkins. Magic fingers should be back next season, very rarely do you find teams getting in bidding wars over long snappers. And with the young talent at DE, I do think Tapp is gone, unless he doesn't get much heat in the market and can come back cheap, which I don't expect.

superman8456
12-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not going to categorically deny it as a possibility, but any team who offers King Dunlap a starting spot should be laughed out of the league.

Last year you would have laughed if I told you that Winston Justice, AQ Shipley, and Mike McGlynn would all be starting for a playoff team.

shylo3716
12-28-2012, 09:38 PM
What are the odds we take Dee Milliner with our pick?

SickwithIt1010
12-29-2012, 01:34 PM
What are the odds we take Dee Milliner with our pick?

Hopefully very low. I'm really banking on Joeckel or a QB.

superman8456
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm banking on trading down, but that can mainly be attributed to the fact that I really have no idea who will be coaching us next year. A slight factor is also that I would like to see Nick Foles given a real opportunity.

Ideally, a team really values Star or Joeckel and offers us a good deal for him, allowing us to trade back and nab Eric Reid, along with some other picks.

SickwithIt1010
12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd be down with somethin like that. Reid would look sexy in Philly.

shylo3716
12-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Chip Kelly may be an option as HC. This is not the year to take a QB in Round 1 for us. If we do go QB I'd rather take Glennon.

SickwithIt1010
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
If Chip is hired as HC I think it will be a lock that we take Geno if he is available....

With that being said I know this is a draft thread but Andy has been fired.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-talk/Sources-Reid-is-fired-as-Eagles-head-coa?blockID=813947&feedID=692

superman8456
01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Everything I've heard from Roseman leads me to believe that he wants Foles to be the QB of the future and he is going to bring in a head coach that would allow that. Don't really see Chip Kelly being that guy.

SickwithIt1010
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
In the end it is Lurie's decision and Kelly has been linked to the Eagles for a while now. I'd rather see someone in the mold of Roman or Bill O'brien though.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
As much as we may need a QB I really hope we stay away this year. I'm not even a fan of Foles but I just feel like any pick used on a QB early on this year will be wasted. Fill all the holes other than QB and wait for another year where we can grab a can't miss guy even if we have to pay a price to move up ala Washington. This year draft lot's of secondary players and o-linemen and find a big bodied receiver either through the draft of FA. Then next year or the year after when we have the pieces in place across the board you add the final and most important one in the QB.

SickwithIt1010
01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Chip Kelly for HC, draft Taj Boyd in the 3rd or move up to the mid to late 2nd to get him!

Thats my plan.

shylo3716
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm aboard with your plan but I want Milliner in the first.

SickwithIt1010
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm aboard with your plan but I want Milliner in the first.

I'm at the point where I am Joeckel or trade back. I wouldn't be heart broken with a guy like Moore or Jarvis but it is more of a luxury at this point. I could see Moore being used in the mold that Von is in Denver and I think Jarvis is athletic enough to play there also but unless we part ways with Aso or DRC I don't wanna use that high of a pick on another corner.

brat316
01-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I wanna see a big body WR.

Think ahead, and thing BPA.

Also depends on the HC. Eagles went from a big fat line, to small quick guy, not the ideal line for a pocket passer. So OG/OC even OT would be good. Who knows how well Peter's knee is.

superman8456
01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
This coaching search doesn't have an end in sight. Somewhat glad Kelly decided to stay in Oregon. Would have been interesting to see him try and work his offense in the NFL, though.

I like some of the names being thrown around. Gus Bradley, Greg Roman, Tom Clements, Mike McCoy and Lovie Smith all interest me.

In terms of the draft, I just want to get my Manti Te'o love off my chest before the National Championship tomorrow. Our defense has been missing a leader like him since Dawkins has left. Just a prediction that he will have a huge game tomorrow and workout better than anticipated. I don't see him escaping the top 5 come April.

SickwithIt1010
01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
If we draft Te'o I will be a little pissed off to be honest. I love the guy, he works his ass off, great leader and his story is great and all but people who suck his dick dont pay enough attention to the 3 guys in front of him who let him run free. The down linemen in their defense are the best players on that D and they don't get nearly enough credit. His numbers have regressed each year from his sophomore year outside of his INT's (7 is crazy for a LB), but 5.5 tackles for loss for a guy who was supposed to be a heisman contender? Like really?

For the coaching search I am liking more and more of what I see out of Gus Bradley. The guy is has a fire and coaches with a chip on his shoulder. I joked about it in the coaching thread but right now my ideal coaching staff is Gus Bradley running the show, Norv Turner calling the plays on O and I would see if Washington would let us make Raheem Morris our D coordinator.

brat316
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Personally I think Te'o is overrated. He doesn't offer anything speical, for triangle numbers, or even stats wise.

There are dozens of guys like him out there, who are just as emotional leaders. But he is just in the right place at the right time.

Think of all these guys as prospects, that were ILB that went in the top 10. just not worth it, most of these guys were better prospect than him.
McClain, AJ Hawk, Kuechly, Mayo.

SickwithIt1010
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I want Gus Bradley.

Edit: and Superman, no more Te'o talk please. Guy was embarrassed last night.

Bigp5437
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I want Gus Bradley.

Yeah and so was the rest of the team..he may very well be overrated and all..but I don't know if I'd hold that game against him THAT much

SickwithIt1010
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Hes still not worthy of a top 5 pick.

SickwithIt1010
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Brian Kelly of Notre Dame now the big name in the coaching search.

shylo3716
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Lovie Smith?

SickwithIt1010
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I would prefer to stay away from Lovie. The guy is a good coach and didn't deserve to be fired but I think he's one of those guys who just struggles to get to the next step. Consistently 7-9, 8-8, 10-6.

superman8456
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I want Gus Bradley.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Somehow the stat line said he made 10 tackles, but I saw absolutely zero impact plays and countless missed tackles. Definitely coming away with a sour taste after watching that. Joeckel is the man if he's available at #4.

Brian Kelly of Notre Dame now the big name in the coaching search.

I truly hope not. I think he's a good, not great, college coach, but I just don't think he will be able to succeed in the NFL. He's not a players coach.

cunningham06
01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
No Brian Kelly, please. After watching how flat Notre Dame came out in the National Championship I have no desire to see him as our head coach.

SickwithIt1010
01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Kelly has definitely proved himself when it comes to rebuilding a program and the way his teams have played I think translate...he would be an interesting hire, though. That is for sure.

SickwithIt1010
01-12-2013, 05:55 PM
I Want Gus!

superman8456
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Brian Kelly is out. He definitely grew on me as I thought more about it. However, there are still some viable candidates. It's hard keeping up with everyone that we're interviewing and have interest in.

Gus Bradley interviewed today. Bruce Arians is interviewing Tuesday, I believe. Greg Roman might be a hot name after that spanking the 49ers put on the Packers.

SickwithIt1010
01-13-2013, 12:18 AM
I do really want Gus, but I am really surprised that Roman has never even been mentioned.

SickwithIt1010
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Brian Billick believed to be one of the top candidates for the job after interviewing this past monday. He was the guy I wanted really bad last year when I thought Andy was going to get fired. You know he would be able to bring in a solid staff.

eaglesalltheway
01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Yuck to Brian Billick, the staff he would be able to bring in wouldn't be that much better than other candidates, not enough to negate for his terrible evaluation of his players and misuse, among many, many other issues I have with him. He's basically a worse head coaching version of Reid, so needless to say, I would not be happy with that hire at all. Just my stance though.

SickwithIt1010
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
You can't argue with the defense he helped build in Baltimore. The only thing he didn't do very well in Baltimore was land on a QB which was something the defense kinda played themselves out of. The only chance he had to get a big QB was Boeller and he missed...but you can't blame him for that...a lot of people would have taken him.

SickwithIt1010
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
HC: Gus Bradley
OC: Ben McAdoo
DC: Raheem Morris

Thats my dream....make it happen Lurie.

SickwithIt1010
01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Gus getting his 2nd interview tomorrow in Philly.

eaglesalltheway
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
You can't argue with the defense he helped build in Baltimore. The only thing he didn't do very well in Baltimore was land on a QB which was something the defense kinda played themselves out of. The only chance he had to get a big QB was Boeller and he missed...but you can't blame him for that...a lot of people would have taken him.
Sorry, but Ozzie Newsome gets the credit for building that defense, Billick was given sway in personnel decisions once, and that was Kyle Boller. I'm just glad its looking like Gus right now, he was the defensive coach I wanted the most. Another fellow poster on here mentioned the possibility that Gus would bring Hue Jackson, which I would be really interested in.

SickwithIt1010
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
That would be awesome. I thought Hue kind of got screwed in Oakland but the guy is a good coach and has a good offensive mind. Would bring a more balanced offense as compared to a guy like McAdoo who I have been saying I want.

I keep bringing up Morris as a potential DC and I think it could be possible because they both worked together in Tampa bay.

SickwithIt1010
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Whelp, Chip is the guy. Thought we were out of the running and was preparing myself for Gus for about the last week. Very interested to see who comes in as the DC and as assistants. Kelly will call his own plays.

superman8456
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
I like it. Now, what do we do with Vick? I can't see us drafting a QB either.

SickwithIt1010
01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I like it. Now, what do we do with Vick? I can't see us drafting a QB either.

I could see them thinking about Geno if he were to be available at 4. When he was at New Hampshire his offense was more of a Dana Holgorson type offense that Geno ran at WV. It was alot more passing but still had the same tempo. Or they restructure Vick's deal and wait till next year when the qb position looks to be a little stronger in the draft.

Todd Grantham is also the guy that Kelly is said to want to be the DC. He has been at Georgia the past couple years and has been a DC in the nfl. He is a 3-4 guy so Kelly may be leaning towards a switch.

Creek
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Kendricks/Ryan as ILBs in the 3-4 makes sense, but what about Cole/Graham on the outside? Could either of those guys transition to OLB? Both are pretty big and not exactly speed rushers.

SickwithIt1010
01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Everyone kind of thought Graham's best fit was as a 3-4 OLB coming out. I think they can both do it...but it may have to be more like Wade Phillips' 3-4 where it is essentially a 5-2 and the 2 OLB's come on literally every play and we dont have them in coverage much. They may be able to do it, but its a tougher transition than people think.

I could see us being in play for Star, Moore, and Jones at 4 if we go all in with this switch.

Also Ray Horton would be an unbelievable hire now that he is out of Zona....go get him Chip. We have also interviewed Todd Grantham (Georgia DC) and Kirby Smart (Bama DC)

cunningham06
01-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Kendricks/Ryan as ILBs in the 3-4 makes sense, but what about Cole/Graham on the outside? Could either of those guys transition to OLB? Both are pretty big and not exactly speed rushers.

I love Demeco, as evidenced by my sig, but in a 3-4 he is somewhat obsolete. He is a good 4-3 LB, but in a 3-4 he struggles to shed blockers and make big plays. That is the reason the Texans were willing to trade him, because he is not nearly as good a fit in a 3-4 defense. I'm hoping we stick to a 4-3 bc a 3-4 does not fit our personnel nearly as well, unless it is some sort of hybrid.

SickwithIt1010
01-18-2013, 02:52 AM
All signs are pointing to Chip making the switch to the 3-4. Grantham and Smart are both 3-4 guys and have been successful with that. Idk why he would want to bring them in and stick with the 4-3 after even he ran a 3-4 at Oregon.

apb540
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
With a change in the defense I would love to trade down from 4; maybe St. Louis, Cincy, or Indy with their extra picks. We have holes across the board so let's add extra picks and learn how to hit on draft picks.

If we did 4 for 16 and 22 with St. Louis, we could fill a hole at safety with Vaccaro or/and Elam plus add another piece such as DJ Fluker (move Todd to guard and fireman to the bench), a 3-4 DT, DE, OLB, or ILB, Jon Banks if he falls, or a guy who could be a potential #1 WR such as Allen or Patterson.

SickwithIt1010
01-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I dont know if we would be able to get 16 AND 22. We might be able to get 16 and another 2nd....but I don't have the chart in front of me. All signs are pointing to a switch to the 3-4. Horton going to the Browns hurts...but I would not be upset one bit with Grantham.

superman8456
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
If we do switch to a 34, our defense is beyond ******. I can't see that working out well for at least the first two years because we simply don't have the personnel for it. I think Cox and Jenkins fit as 5 techs, but we don't have a nose on the roster. We don't have the stand-up pass rushers on the roster. We don't have the inside linebackers on the roster. And our safeties are the worst in the league, so I don't believe the defense really even matters.

SickwithIt1010
01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
If we do switch to a 34, our defense is beyond ******. I can't see that working out well for at least the first two years because we simply don't have the personnel for it. I think Cox and Jenkins fit as 5 techs, but we don't have a nose on the roster. We don't have the stand-up pass rushers on the roster. We don't have the inside linebackers on the roster. And our safeties are the worst in the league, so I don't believe the defense really even matters.

We don't have the personnel for it right now but I don't think we are as far away as you think. Graham and Curry were highly thought of as 3-4 prospects during draft talks so while it is yet to be seen if they fit, they were thought of to be able to play the position well. Cole is a good football player so he should be able to adapt. Nose is something we would have to address, if we made the switch I would bet on the possibility of going with Moore/Jones at 4 and then possibly trading up or hoping one of Williams/Jenkins falls to our pick in the 2nd.

Kendricks plays ILB in a 3-4 in college and was the Pac 12 DPOY so he has experience in the system. Ryans was cut loose from the Texans because he didn't fit their system (Houston's 3-4 is essentially a 5-2 because the OLB's rarely, if ever drop into coverage, so this defense requires a true thumper....which Demeco definitely is not). If we ran a system similar to Fangio's in SF we would be able to let our ILB's have more freedom...(obviously our 2 ILB's are nowhere near that of Willis/Bowman, but you get my point).

Safety is most definitely something we need to address. This is a pretty good safety class too. Reid, Elam, Vacarro, McDonald are all guys who could make an impact early. I keep wanting to believe Nate Allen is going to be a playmaker for us but he just hasn't done it yet.

Having said all that, this is still a pass heavy league where most teams base set is the nickel which is a 4 down linemen set and what we are used to. 3-4 would be our identity but in reality not many people really run a 3-4 for a majority of a game.

cunningham06
01-19-2013, 03:52 PM

I'm with you on this one, our defense lacks a lot of key pieces to be a successful 4-3 Defense, we shouldn't set the unit back further by trying to switch to a 3-4. I'll buy Cox and Jenkins as DE's, Graham as a 3-4 OLB, and maybe Trent Cole to make the transition. I like Curry as a depth player but not as a starter.

The problem would be our run defense up the middle. I realize that Kendricks played in a 3-4 defense in college, but at the NFL level he is pretty undersized and a much better fit in a 4-3 scheme. I am a huge fan of Kendricks, but he will get engulfed by linemen and have a hard time disengaging from blockers to make plays. Ryans as we have already discussed is not nearly as effective when not in a 4-3 scheme.

Switching to a 3-4:
Pros
Graham a better fit as a 3-4 OLB
Jenkins a better fit as a 3-4 DE

Cons
No NT on our roster - hard position to step into as a rookie
Undersized inside LB's less effective
Unclear how Cole would do as a 3-4 OLB

The problem with our defense is the secondary. Introducing new needs by switching schemes is not what we need right now. I think the cons outweigh the pros of this decision.

So far the only name I've seen as an interviewee for the DC position is Jim Herrmann, who has been the LB coach for the Giants since 2009. He has experience with both formations, but I have a hard time seeing him want to run a 3-4 with our options at ILB.

SickwithIt1010
01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I think he is the only guy to officially interview...sure sounds like Grantham is the guy that Kelly really wants, though.

igglefanz
01-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Really starting to look like Donatell is gonna be the DC. Will be interesting.

SickwithIt1010
01-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Would help big time with the secondary. Maybe Goldson will come with him :)

igglefanz
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
I really think that our DC is on one of the 2 coaching staffs in the SB the only other person that makes sense is possibly Jim Levitt. I really am leary about him but also think he makes sense. Has DC experience but also is gonna be under fire in Philly because it was his defense that gave up the famous 4th and 26

SickwithIt1010
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Have we interviewed Grantham yet?

superman8456
02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Welp, the 34 shift happened, but so did some surprising roster moves.

I definitely think we're going defensive line in the 1st round now. Star, Sharrif Floyd, or maybe even a pass rusher.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
DL is a possibility, it seems that we aren't looking QB first round, anyway, though I still wonder if OT gets addressed, at this point, I really wouldn't mind trading down if they can find a partner, so we'll just have to see, though if they stay put I do think DL is looking most likely at this point.

SickwithIt1010
02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Before the heart condition thing I was thinking Star had to be the pick if available. Not a huge fan of Floyd, and hope he isn't the pick. I would be all for trading back, or taking Joeckel/Fisher. If one of the nose tackles of Jenkins/Williams is on the board in the 2nd its a no brainer, and possibly trying to make a move up for a safety. I think a guy like Amerson who may go in the middle of the second would be perfect to make the move to FS.

eaglesalltheway
03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Eagles signed James Casey, Isaac Sopoaga, Patrick Chung, Bradley Fletcher, and Jason Phillips , and are looking at Andre Smith, Connor Barwin, and Victor Butler, among others. Not huge names, but Sopoaga at least gives us a D-linemen with a prototypical NT body, and Casey will be a useful weapon for creating mismatches for our offense. Chung looks like he should compete for a starting S/Rover role, and most likely win, and Fletcher gives us another solid enough CB to our rotation who could play Nickel or start depending how the rest of the off-season works out. Jason Phillips seems like depth to me, but could be more if he can stay healthy.

I would love Connor Barwin, I really hope the Eagles can get him inked, he is a great young talent and could be a great defensive player if used properly.

SickwithIt1010
03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm happy about this free agency. No huge names, and a lot of guys who strike me as people set out to prove people wrong.

eaglesalltheway
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
We got young players at key positions, I really like the Connor Barwin addition. Gives us another great athlete on defense who can rush the passer. If you are a fan of him, then you probably think he has the biggest upside of any of our signings and adds a lot of versatility to our LB unit. The more I think about it, the more I could see him being moved around a lot throughout the LB corp, meaning used thorughout different packages, as well as potentially replacing Ryans. Having him and Kendricks together for a few years could be the making of a great LB duo. Add in our young pass rushers and our LB corp could very well be the strength of this team in a few seasons.

Kenny Phillips is a good signing no matter how you look at it. He has his health issues, but with it being a 1 year deal that gives the team options, and if he plays up to his draft status (if he is truly healthy this is easily possible) our S duo just improved exponentially.

I really like this Free Agent haul so far. I don't really like the Cary Williams signing, mostly because he's just going to be a stopgap who isn't really a personal favorite of mine, but after the last two seasons of our Corner play, I may warm up to him. Besides Williams though, we got younger players at positions of need who are athletic and fit the roles they look like they'll be asked to be in. I've honestly been feeling somewhat pessimistic about the future of the team recently, particularly this upcoming season, but it seems like there is a direction the team is going and we are getting players at decent value, while improving the talent on the team. No matter how you look at this free agent class, the depth on the roster is drastically better than it was at the start, and better than last season.

cunningham06
03-27-2013, 11:05 PM
It's looking like DE will be the 1st pick since we have a glaring hole there and the value should be excellent. I know most of you would be happy with Star Lotulelei, but what if Star is gone and Sharrif Floyd is on the board?

What are y'alls thoughts on Floyd?

SickwithIt1010
03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
It's looking like DE will be the 1st pick since we have a glaring hole there and the value should be excellent. I know most of you would be happy with Star Lotulelei, but what if Star is gone and Sharrif Floyd is on the board?

What are y'alls thoughts on Floyd?

Not super high on Floyd, but he is a solid player. I am personally way higher on Star and I don't feel they are close as players if everything is fine with Star medically. Floyd had good numbers but didn't have constant penetration like Star had, and from the film I've seen Floyd makes quite a few tackles a few yards down the field. Star was fighting double teams all year and still continued to make an impact.

superman8456
03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
I think Floyd is going to definitely be a better pro player than college player, just not sold that his fit is at 5-tech. No doubt he could hold his own, but I'd rather get a guy like Star, who is versatile enough to play every position on the line.

I'd rather trade back or get Star. I feel like Sheldon Richardson and Sharrif are on the same tier as well.

SickwithIt1010
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
If I had it my way I would take Star at 4 if available or trade back and take a guy like Xavier Rhodes.

SickwithIt1010
04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
God, I wish more eagles fans posted here. Went over to an eagles message board to get more discussion and let me tell ya...by far the dumbest ******* group of people I have ever listened too.

eaglesalltheway
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah its pretty bad. I haven't been following football as closely as I have in years past and I still feel like I'm able to come a a reasonable, realistic, unbiased opinion easier than most of the ones in other places.

Now that Star has checked out medically, I really hope he is the pick. He has the best chance of anyone in this class to become a big time player, and (outside of the QBs) the best chance to be an impact, star player. He's got everything you want in a top DL prospect, size, strength, athleticism, and smarts. Just where I'm at.

SickwithIt1010
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah its pretty bad. I haven't been following football as closely as I have in years past and I still feel like I'm able to come a a reasonable, realistic, unbiased opinion easier than most of the ones in other places.

Now that Star has checked out medically, I really hope he is the pick. He has the best chance of anyone in this class to become a big time player, and (outside of the QBs) the best chance to be an impact, star player. He's got everything you want in a top DL prospect, size, strength, athleticism, and smarts. Just where I'm at.

I agree, I am for Star or a trade back if possible. I really do not like the idea of Dion Jordan.

superman8456
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Geno Smith visiting Philly today. This seems a little too elaborate to be a smokescreen.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I agree, I am for Star or a trade back if possible. I really do not like the idea of Dion Jordan.

If Star is gone, I wouldn't be opposed to Dion. i personally like the body and skillset he brings to the table. Much like Star has versatility, so does Dion, its just their ranges are slightly different. Chip values versatility, so neither would be a surprise for me, though I do prefer Star, not only because of my opinion of him as a prospect, but the needs on the team right now are more toward DL rather than rush backer, which is what I think Dion's primary role would be.

I also am not completely opposed to Geno Smith. Either way, when you are the #4 team on the draft board, you better at least do your due diligence and scout what most people feel is the #1 QB in the class, especially when your QB situation is as murky as ours. I'd imagine it isn't completely a smokescreen or a genuine interest, things of these nature can never be. When you are a GM you are almost playing poker, and trying to figure out how to handle each card (player) and how your opponents will think based off your actions.

cunningham06
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
If Star is gone, I wouldn't be opposed to Dion. i personally like the body and skillset he brings to the table. Much like Star has versatility, so does Dion, its just their ranges are slightly different. Chip values versatility, so neither would be a surprise for me, though I do prefer Star, not only because of my opinion of him as a prospect, but the needs on the team right now are more toward DL rather than rush backer, which is what I think Dion's primary role would be.

I also am not completely opposed to Geno Smith. Either way, when you are the #4 team on the draft board, you better at least do your due diligence and scout what most people feel is the #1 QB in the class, especially when your QB situation is as murky as ours. I'd imagine it isn't completely a smokescreen or a genuine interest, things of these nature can never be. When you are a GM you are almost playing poker, and trying to figure out how to handle each card (player) and how your opponents will think based off your actions.

Good post, agreed on all points. Star is my favorite and I'm hoping he's the pick. We would also be the perfect place for Dion Jordan to go to. Make no mistake he's a bit of a project. He needs to continue strengthening that shoulder and he needs to add weight to his frame. We could bring him along slowly like the Texans did with Mercilus last year. His physical ability is rare and he could be an elite pass rusher one day.

There aren't really any players that we would realistically take that would make me throw my remote at the tv.

*Assuming we don't have an out-of-left-field Danny Watkins selection*

If the FO decides Geno is worth the pick then I trust their judgment and won't be upset. We need a qb of the future and don't currently have one.

AcheTen (Thumper)
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Why would the Eagles draft Dion Jordan?

That basically puts Brandon Graham on the bench. Graham is the single most talented pass rusher of anyone on the roster OR in the draft. He has Defensive Player of the Year potential.

To put him on the bench for some rookie (who doesn't even have great pass rush stats in college) would be criminal. It's bad enough they signed Connor Barwin which puts into doubt Graham's starting status.

SickwithIt1010
04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Everything that has came out points to the Eagles running the 4-3 over look that is being ran in Seattle. Cole/Graham/Hunt/ all fit into the "predator" role that is the stand up end, while right now the only guy we would have to play the SAM is Barwin and I feel that would be why Dion would be drafted.

The guy is so raw right now, and its not like most rushers that come out. He's very polished as a coverage guy right now, and lacks a lot in the rush department. Very soft against the run as well...while he is raw and has some extreme ability, I just don't think he's gonna work out. Barwin can play the SAM, and Graham/Cole will rotate at the predator.

Make Star the pick and play him at the 5 technique, and let him get on the nose as well.

Barwin---Demeco---Kendricks
Star---ICE----Cox---Graham/Cole
T---G---C---G---T

Would be the ideal look, and I think it would be a damn good looking front 7.

gpngc
04-04-2013, 06:42 PM
That looks about right. They definitely need a guy who could play 5 and Star can also play some 1 or 3 so that's good.

I just don't think he's that sought after honestly. I think teams have him in the teens, not top 5.

AcheTen (Thumper)
04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
The only picks that make sense for the Eagles if they stay at #4 are:

1. One of the top DTs: Star Lotulelei or Shariff Floyd
2. One of the top OTs: Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher

That's it.

BuckeyeDan17
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey dudes.

Is Dion Lewis decent for a COP back to Trent?

eaglesalltheway
04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Hey dudes.

Is Dion Lewis decent for a COP back to Trent?

He's definitely a change of pace to Trent, that's for sure. He's got quicks, and some really quick feet when he is assertive in his running, but I've noticed he is hesitant as a runner sometimes, and doesn't always see the cutback lane open up. He always seemed more comfortable running off the edge, but he's still young, and has shown the ability to get some big chunks of yardage when he touches the ball.

superman8456
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I like the addition of Acho, doesn't seem to hurt. We have a sick RB carousel with McCoy, Brown, and Polk anyway.

As the draft approaches, trading down is looking better and better. I really do not want Dion Jordan. Probably only player who just screams bust.

cunningham06
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
I like the addition of Acho, doesn't seem to hurt. We have a sick RB carousel with McCoy, Brown, and Polk anyway.

As the draft approaches, trading down is looking better and better. I really do not want Dion Jordan. Probably only player who just screams bust.

Ya I want to see us take a player who is good value at a position of need. Star's my #1 choice. I just don't view OLB as big enough of a need to take Jordan at #4.

SickwithIt1010
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
I mentioned it in the bust thread. Jordan is a Manny Lawson clone...and you don't take those guys in the top 5. They're nice to have...but not top 5 worthy.

In the mock draft controlling the eagles right now, I like it...not as much as I expected but still good

- Traded 4th overall and got Revis and picked up pick 39 as well.
- Also got Revis to extend his contract 4 years.

- 2a) Jesse Williams
- Figured he would jump in at the 5 tech this season and be the long term guy at the nose when ICE isn't around anymore.

- 2b) Barrett Jones
- Gives us a guy who can play every position on the line and likely start right away at right guard (we traded Watkins). Also familiarity with the O Line coach.

- 3) Bacarri Rambo
- Was one of our favorite safties in the draft. Good back up and insurance policy if Kenny goes down.

- 4) Matt Scott
- May have been a reach, but I like him more and more as a fit in this scheme. Is supposedly up to 215 which is way up from his 196 playing weight at U of A. I feel he is also underrated as a passer.

- 5) Luke Marquardt
- Thought he was a guy with a ton of upside, we wanted Queesenberry but he didnt make it to our pick and we wanted at least one guy at tackle.

- 5b) (Aquired of Tradeing Brent Celek) Knile Davis
- Took him with the believe he is an unbelievable change of pace to Shady and Bryce. He has great measurables and even though he didnt live up to expectations this past season he was also coming off a leg injury.

yno88
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
I mentioned it in the bust thread. Jordan is a Manny Lawson clone...and you don't take those guys in the top 5. They're nice to have...but not top 5 worthy.

Interesting comparison. I still think he's in the picture with Kelly there.

No one has ever said, "we have WAY too many pass rushers."

Robbieb7
04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
1. Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M or Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
2. Matt Elam SS Florida
3. Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
4. Bennie Logan DT LSU
5. Kwame Geathers NT Georgia
7. Michael Mauti ILB Penn State
7. Michael Clay OLB Oegon
7. Nickell Robey CB USC
7. Courtney Gardner WR Sierra College

SickwithIt1010
04-25-2013, 11:33 PM
1. Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M or Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
2. Matt Elam SS Florida
3. Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
4. Bennie Logan DT LSU
5. Kwame Geathers NT Georgia
7. Michael Mauti ILB Penn State
7. Michael Clay OLB Oegon
7. Nickell Robey CB USC
7. Courtney Gardner WR Sierra College

Robey is going to go before the 7th. Hes a great cover corner, just sucks hes not that big. He will be a great pick up for someone who needs a nickel.

superman8456
04-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Good call with the Lane Johnson pick. Kinda sucks to think we had the #4 overall pick and we ended up with the 3rd best offensive tackle in the class. Building through the trenches was the smart, safe play though. Hopefully we get a defensive playmaker today.

Nonetheless, it was a crazy first round. Geno Smith is looking like a good value with our 2nd rounder, if we were to go QB at all through this draft.

SickwithIt1010
04-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Robey is going to go before the 7th. Hes a great cover corner, just sucks hes not that big. He will be a great pick up for someone who needs a nickel.

Shows how much I know.

bsaza2358
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Training camp is coming up! Let's re-energize this discussion!

igglefanz
07-23-2013, 05:09 AM
I agree we need to breathe some life into this part of the forum.

igglefanz
07-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Ok real fast the 5 things that have me interested the most as early traning camp gets started

1. obviously the QB competition having all of them there and competing. I think with Peters and Kelce healthy the line is going to be much improved and with Kelly's system i think both Foles and Vick could excel in the new system.

2. Lane Johnson and how he translates to the NFL. He is big and fast and paired with Peters could have one of the best bookends in the NFl.

3. Zach Ertz and James Casey both getting some time early in camp. With Ertz being a rookie and Casey missing the early camps will want to see how Kelly uses him.

4. Joe Kruger. Now i know late pick but if he has anywhere the motor his brother Paul has he may get some snaps early this season. I love players like this that just have fight in them.

5. Ifeanyi Momah has he recovered from the knee and able to be an asset. unreal tall frame for a WR.

Honorable mention Jordan Poyer. Took a major slide on draft day could be a good depth pick.

bsaza2358
07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
The QB competition will be interesting to watch. My questions:

1. Are they really trying to run 80-90 snaps a game? We have no idea what things will look like. Even with advanced conditioning, I worry about the OLine.

2. How will Kenny Phillips do/can he stay healthy? He has a bum knee and is a huge risk, which is why the Giants let him walk. He is on a 1 year deal. When healthy, he is the best safety since Dawk (not saying much). If he fails, it is up to Chung/Wolf to rally.

3. How will the WR position shake out after DeSean? Obviously, DJax is a huge asset for Chip Kelly's offense with his speed and explosiveness. I'm very high on him, actually. I'm not 100% sure that Maclin/Avant/Cooper/Benn and others fit exactly. Maclin is a talent, but he has had some health issues and might not fit with Kelly's system. Obviously, Celek/Ertz add some bulk at the seams as well...

4. All about the front 7. Lots of new faces, new DC. I worry about Cole especially fitting in the 3-4. Graham has some experience in that role and could drop. Converting to a 3-4 from a 4-3 can take time. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm hoping for a turnaround because there is talent in town.

Call me cautiously optimistic about this Eagles team. I was a huge Gus Bradley booster, and I wanted him as the HC over Kelly from the start. However, I really like what I'm reading about the energy and culture change that Kelly has brought. I'm always going to stand by the team, of course.

igglefanz
07-24-2013, 06:11 AM
As long as Maclin is healthy I am not worried about him fitting in with Kelly's offense. Maehl a few years ago was the top reciever on the Oregon team that went to the BCS game and He is a 4.6 40 speed 6'1 receiver. I actually think if healthy Maclin will have more receiving yards then Jackson this year.

I follow Oregon close as I am a fan of them and what Kelly likes in receivers is quick sure handed people. The strength of the Eagles will be this, Being able to get people open through misdirection and quick play. I really dont worry about any of the WR struggling in this offense. Minus Thomas Oregon never had super great talent at WR yet they spread the ball around and make alot of receiving plays.

Now i agree the defense is what scares me. Cole i don't think will even start i could be wrong but i think he is done in Philly which is super sad. what helps is that 3 of the projected starting 7 have time in a 3-4 system. Although one of those 3 is Ryans and people said that he couldn't cut it in a 3-4 as a mlb (( i think it was more injury related but that is just me))

The entire secondary is a big question mark. The team they have all over could be a top ten or just as easy bottom ten defense. I have not a clue how its gonna pan out

bsaza2358
07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Cole will start because he makes a lot of money and is a team leader. You have to get him on the field because he is such a huge effort guy. Graham is the future, but Barwin will also make a huge impact.

Overall, I see Kelly as more of a Belicheck kind of matchup guy. He will bring in guys with certain skills and only deploy them where they can succeed. On the Pats' D, you rarely see a "do it all" kind of player. You get your Seymours and Wilforks and Mayos here and there. However, you also see guys like Vrabel and McGinnest and others, who play half the snaps in specific spots.

Nothing wrong with this, so long as you get it right. I just see a big shift in philosophy here to shut down the run game and get pressure wherever possible.

brat316
07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
I wonder what type of 3-4 they are planning on running?

or its as if you say and they run the belicheck defense of anything goes, as long as the players are put in the best situation.

bsaza2358
07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
I couldn't say what they are planning on running because the personnel is in flux and there is an entirely new staff. We won't know until Week 1, probably.

If I had to bet, I would think they are going for a broad group with specific high value skills in the Belicheck style.

igglefanz
07-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Its going to be interesting whatever happens. I think the front seven for philly is gonna be such a change and its just gonna take some time to really sort out who can do what. I mean i hope we can use Cole but will see.

bsaza2358
07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm of the mindset to not worry about these kinds of things and just let it happen. We definitely cannot control the inner workings of the team or the performance of the players. Just gonna support the team and base my discussions on what I see and think, not what might happen.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2013, 08:27 AM
I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect out of the Eagles this year from an X and O perspective. It's going to be interesting to see.

Who do you see winning the qb competition? I'm going with Foles.

AcheTen (Thumper)
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Cole will start because he makes a lot of money and is a team leader. You have to get him on the field because he is such a huge effort guy. Graham is the future, but Barwin will also make a huge impact.

Graham isn't just the future, he is the now too.

He is a far better player than either Cole or Barwin. In fact, Graham is probably, right now, the best pass rusher in the entire NFC East.

It'd be criminal for the coaches to start Barwin or Cole ahead of Graham just for financial reasons.

bsaza2358
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
You are nuts if you think Graham is the best rusher in the NFC East after half a season of decent production. Ware, JPP, Tuck, Kerrigan, a healthy Orakpo, Spencer...

Stop trolling this board and get real.

bsaza2358
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect out of the Eagles this year from an X and O perspective. It's going to be interesting to see.

Who do you see winning the qb competition? I'm going with Foles.

I can't even tell you what might happen there. Honestly, I think Barkley is best suited for what Kelly wants to do, but he isn't quite ready at this stage. Very conceivable that Barkley goes into 2014 as the starter.

shipraider21
12-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I think what this last game against the vikings showed us was that we need a first round defender. most likely in the defensive backfield. id put the early round priorities as

CB
S
OLB
WR
OL