PDA

View Full Version : Mid October Mock

AntoinCD
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
1. Kansas City Chiefs select Geno Smith, QB WVU – Matt Cassell isn’t the answer and Brady Quinn doesn’t even know the question. The Chiefs will pick a QB early next year.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars select Barkevious Mingo, DE LSU – many thought the Jags would ride a defense that was near elite level this year to a respectable standing. However, their defense has been really poor. Mingo is my top rated player and offers a big spark to the Jacksonville pass rush

3. Cleveland Browns select Keenan Allen, WR Cal – Josh Gordon was a nice hit in the supplemental draft, however Greg Little looks a bust. If, and that’s a big if, the new front office decide to stick with Weeden then they need to add more playmakers.

4. Oakland Raiders select Star Lotulelei, DT Utah – Oakland could go a few different directions here. A QB would not be out of the question, neither would a pass rusher, however Star presents the best mix of value and need with both Seymour and Tommy Kelly playing poorly.

5. Carolina Panthers select Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State – coming into the 2011 draft many thought the Panthers were considering Marcel Dareus over Cam Newton, such was the lack of talent at DT. That really hasn’t been addressed still to the point. Hankins is a big space eater who should help free up the talented LBs in Carolina.

6. Tennessee Titans select Sam Montgomery, DE LSU – the Titans lack a spark on defense this year. Locker will take time to improve, if he can stay healthy, and the offense has some good playmakers. However up front the Titans simply can’t get much going. Montgomery and Mingo form the best DE duo in the NCAA and the former should be a great fit in Tennessee across from Kamerion Wimbley.

7. Indianapolis Colts select Jarvis Jones, OLB Georgia – Jones has been nagged by a groin injury throughout the season and he looks a different player because of it. I worry about his ability to play head up on OTs, however in Chuck Pagano’s system he would be a tremendous OLB.

8. Buffalo Bills select Tyler Wilson, QB Arkansas – The Bills need to decide what to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick. He can look really good at times but horrendous at others. Inconsistency is not a good trait for QBs. If they decide to move on look for them to target a QB early because they have the pieces elsewhere to compete.

9. New Orleans Saints select Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State – the Saints have not been able to get a significant pass rush going all year. Former first round draft pick Cam Jordan has been ok but not overwhelming and Will Smith is declining. Werner has seen his draft stock leap since the middle half of last year and could go as high as top 10.

10. New York Jets select Chance Warmack, OG Alabama – in an ideal world the Jets would take a pass rusher with this selection, however with Mingo, Montgomery and Jones gone it would be a reach. I would not be shocked if they went for a high impact guy like Dion Jordan or even Ziggy Ansah though. However Rex plays it relatively safe with a studly OG in Warmack to solidify the interior and improve the ground game.

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Jonathan Banks, CB Mississippi State – talented but mentally lacking CB Aqib Talib has recently been suspended for PED usage and I would be shocked if he were back next year. Banks is a great athlete with good ball skills who can step in to replace him. It also needs to be noted that Ronde Barber is 37 and while playing ok now, he can’t be counted on forever.

12. Cincinnati Bengals select Dee Milliner, CB Alabama – the Bengals had possibly the top CB duo in the NFL the last few years in Hall and Joseph. However Joseph has gone and Hall hasn’t played as well. They did take a Tide CB last year in Dre Kirkpatrick and go back to the same well here with Milliner who may be the better pro prospect.

13. St Louis Rams select Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee – Jeff Fisher has quickly turned the Rams around into a competitive team. The defense looks really good going forward. However the offense still needs work. Hunter offers Sam Bradford a big, athletic #1 WR type. If the Rams do not surround Bradford with weapons he may never reach his full potential.

14. Detroit Lions select Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida State – the Lions are probably the most disappointing team this year. They had realistic hopes of challenging for the division however they have been easily the worst team in the division. Discipline in all facets is the big issue, however as far as talent goes they are pretty good. The only area that is a worry is the secondary. Rhodes is the best available DB.

15. Dallas Cowboys select Barrett Jones, OL Alabama – The interior of the Cowboys line has been a weakness for the last few years. Jones has the ability to play any spot on the line in a pinch but specifically inside.

16. Miami Dolphins select Robert Woods, WR USC – Stephen Ross has stated the Dolphins’ number one priority is in getting a top WR for Ryan Tannehill. If that is through the draft they will likely look at Woods at this point. While he isn’t the prospect he was proclaimed before the season he is still a well-polished athlete who is a big upgrade over anything is Miami at the moment.

17. San Diego Chargers select Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M – The Chargers haven’t been right along the offensive line since the decline of Marcus McNeill at LT. Joeckel isn’t on the same level as Matt Kalil from 2012, however he is a very capable blocker who should help shore up the issues up front in San Diego.

18. St Louis Rams f/Washington Redskins select Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame – Fisher goes all out in the first to help Bradford in the passing game. Eifert is a terrific threat down the seam and a good red zone target.

19. Pittsburgh Steelers select Manti Te’o, LB Notre Dame – this probably couldn’t be a better fit. Te’o is a top ten talent who falls due to positional value and fit. However next to Lawrence Timmons the Steelers could go back to having two fantastic inside LBs.

20. Philadelphia Eagles select Matt Barkley, QB USC – Barkley takes a Brady Quinn-esque slide on draft day due to concerns over physical ability and the offense he played in. However the Eagles stop the slide as they aren’t sure if Nick Foles is the answer.

21. Denver Broncos select Jordan Poyer, CB Oregon State – Champ Bailey can’t play at a high level for ever and Tracy Porter isn’t a #1 guy, a high end #2 yes. Adding Poyer to Porter and Bailey for the next year or two should really help the Broncos pass defense.

22. Arizona Cardinals select Dion Jordan, DE/OLB Oregon – Jordan is a freakish athlete who can rush the passer, drop into zone and play man coverage. His play may not warrant this pick yet, however based on upside he will be a first rounder. The Cardinals have a great defense and do need offensive line help, however the upside here is too irresistible to pass up.

23. Minnesota Vikings select David Amerson, CB/S NC State – Amerson was touted as a top 5 pick only a few months ago, however it is clear he doesn’t have the fluidity to turn and run with WRs on a consistent basis. However a lot of his deficiencies can be covered up in Minnesota’s cover 2 shell and he can even slide to safety to join last year’s first rounder Harrison Smith.

24. Seattle Seahawks select Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M – if Russell Okung can stay healthy the Seahawks are set at LT for the long term. However RT is a huge need for this team. Matthews is a very good blocker with good bloodlines.

25. Green Bay Packers select Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan – the Packers drafted Bryan Bulaga and Derrick Sherrod recently at OT. Bulaga looks set at RT, however Marshall Newhouse is the current starting LT which says a lot about Sherrod. Lewan is a nasty blocker who can help slow down rushers before Aaron Rodgers gets killed.

26. New England Patriots select Eric Reid, S LSU – Bill Belichick has tried many different combinations at safety over the past few years and nothing has worked. Patrick Chung is a free agent who likely won’t be back which would leave journeyman Steve Gregory, second year player Tavon Wilson and fellow second round player Nate Ebner who didn’t play defense in college. Any body at safety would be an upgrade, however the Pats need a difference maker in the back end. As of now Reid is probably the top draft eligible safety.

27. Chicago Bears select Jonathan Cooper, OG UNC – the Bears offensive line is an absolute shambles. Former first round pick Chris Williams was recently released and Jay Cutler clearly doesn’t like a few of the other guys. Cooper is a great interior player who gets overshadowed by the two ‘Bama guys, but he will be a major upgrade in Chicago.

28. San Francisco 49ers select John Jenkins, DT Georgia – the 49ers don’t have many major needs, however looking to the future Harbaugh may decide to add more talent along the defensive line. Jenkins has been Georgia’s best defensive player this year and can not only anchor but can penetrate and play down the line as well.

29. Baltimore Ravens select Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB Auburn – with the loss of Terrell Suggs the Ravens don’t have anyone who can rush the passer and they have also struggled to set the edge. Even with Suggs back he will be 31 next year coming off an Achilles injury that some guys don’t come back from. Lemonier should add quality depth for a rotation including last year’s second round pick Courtney Upshaw.

30. New York Giants select Kawann Short, DT Purdue – New York have one of the best defenses in the league, however it never hurts to add quality guys up front. Everyone knows about their stud DEs, however they use a solid rotation inside as well including Rocky Bernard and Linval Joseph. Adding Short may seem like overkill, however the Giants have built their success by building along the defensive line and this pick offers pretty good value.

31. Houston Texans select Terrance Williams, WR Baylor – some people are starting to whisper about maybe Andre Johnson is starting to decline. He has been hampered with numerous injuries and hasn’t produced like the Andre Johnson of a few years back. Adding another weapon across from him has been a need for a few years, however the front office has smartly built the defense into a powerhouse. However now may be the time to start preparing for life without Johnson.

32. Atlanta Falcons select Cornellius Carradine, DE Florida State – John Abraham is still sacking QBs, however he isn’t a major impact player anymore and the Falcons don’t really have anyone across from him to do damage. Many people think Carradine has outplayed his teammate Bjoern Werner.

SuperPacker
10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't see how Newhouse starting has any relevance to how good Derek Sherrod has been, saying as he's injured right now.

CJSchneider
10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm really beginning to warm up to Werner as a pick if he is available when we come up in the first.

ChicagoBearsVet23
10-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Solid Bears pick. Fluker would also be good

AntoinCD
10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't see how Newhouse starting has any relevance to how good Derek Sherrod has been, saying as he's injured right now.

I didn't realise he was on IR. Is that from last year when he got hurt?

I still don't think that lessens the need for a OT though

SuperPacker
10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't realise he was on IR. Is that from last year when he got hurt?

I still don't think that lessens the need for a OT though

Yeah, when he broke his leg.

And what? How does that not lessen the need? Wouldn't it make sense to see how Sherrod actually does before spending our 3rd first rounder on a OT in the last 4 years?

AntoinCD
10-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, when he broke his leg.

And what? How does that not lessen the need? Wouldn't it make sense to see how Sherrod actually does before spending our 3rd first rounder on a OT in the last 4 years?

The Packers have a QB who has been hit way too many times this season... a QB who has had concussions before. The Packers are one of the teams in the league who without their star QB are very average. I would need to be damn sure that Sherrod can be the guy before ruling anything out and I just don't see how they can be sure

SuperPacker
10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
The Packers have a QB who has been hit way too many times this season... a QB who has had concussions before. The Packers are one of the teams in the league who without their star QB are very average. I would need to be damn sure that Sherrod can be the guy before ruling anything out and I just don't see how they can be sure

:njx:

I guess OT is a massive need for us then.

Legacy
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Jonathan Banks, CB Mississippi State Ė talented but mentally lacking CB Aqib Talib has recently been suspended for PED usage and I would be shocked if he were back next year. Banks is a great athlete with good ball skills who can step in to replace him. It also needs to be noted that Ronde Barber is 37 and while playing ok now, he canít be counted on forever.
While I don't disagree with the reasoning behind Talib not coming back, Barber won't even factor into whether or not the Bucs decide to draft a cornerback, since he has been converted to a safety and is playing quite well there.

vidae
10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Pretty much perfect KC pick at this point. Hard to argue there. Nice job.

Pat Sims 90
10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Safety over a corner at this point. The Bengals have the worst starting safety duo in the NFL in Reggie Nelson and Nate Clements anybody would be a upgrade over what they have even if it is a reach. Hall has not been the problem it is the fact the Bengals have to start Terrence Newman. Once Kirkpatick takes over that spot it won't be as bad as it is.

BuckeyeDan17
10-17-2012, 04:26 PM
While I love Keenan Allen, our lack of pass rush hurts us more, imo. Is Montgomery a reach at 3 right now? Jabaal Sheard needs help out there and Frostee Rucker simply isn't the man for the job.

Thecollegedropout
10-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Reach by the Jets to take a guard so high IMO. Slauson has been a fine starter and been alright and while Moore's old, I don't think neither guy has been bad enough to take a guard in the top 10. Give the Jets Te'O and we will use him as an ILB next to Harris and transition Demario Davis as a run stopping OLB.

Have no problem with a OG or OT in the middle rounds, not with a top 10 pick.

Hurricanes25
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Reach by the Jets to take a guard so high IMO. Slauson has been a fine starter and been alright and while Moore's old, I don't think neither guy has been bad enough to take a guard in the top 10. Give the Jets Te'O and we will use him as an ILB next to Harris and transition Demario Davis as a run stopping OLB.

Have no problem with a OG or OT in the middle rounds, not with a top 10 pick.

Slauson and Moore are both free agents after the year. Moore is declining and needs to be replaced. Warmack might be a slight reach there but he's a beast and helps our piss poor running and passing games.

I know you're a ND homer so I understand you wanting Te'o but I don't see it happening. Davis is being groomed to play ILB, not OLB. No need for Te'o, as good as he is.

derza222
10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Slauson and Moore are both free agents after the year. Moore is declining and needs to be replaced. Warmack might be a slight reach there but he's a beast and helps our piss poor running and passing games.

I know you're a ND homer so I understand you wanting Te'o but I don't see it happening. Davis is being groomed to play ILB, not OLB. No need for Te'o, as good as he is.

Agree with this completely. Also, no way Davis can play 3-4 OLB that's just ridiculous.

T-RICH49
10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
great K pick & the explination made me laugh

Thecollegedropout
10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Agree with this completely. Also, no way Davis can play 3-4 OLB that's just ridiculous.
Its not at all. With enough training to cut down a bit on weight, he can be fine in a Bryan Thomas esque role. One of the main things that made him enticing to Rex was not only his leadership but his versatility as a Linebacker.

Te'o is a great player and would be huge in stopping the run and pass coverage for us. You guys don't get how good he is. Has nothing to do with me being an ND homer Hurricane, the guy can really ball at Linebacker. Our linebackers are terribly slow, that's a huge problem on defense for the Jets.

I am just not for an OG that early. Trading down in this case would be perfect and then we can take a guard in the 20's or so if must.

bengalbuck
10-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Interesting Bengals pick. Don't hate it, but don't really see it happening either. Hall just got a huge extension and Kirkpatrick should lock up the other starting spot. Will they spend a first on a nickel CB? Will they pay Hall $8m a year to be the nickel back?

I think Teo would make more sense. Burfict is pretty much the only LB under contract for next year.

A safety or DE would also probably be better picks than CB.

derza222
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Its not at all. With enough training to cut down a bit on weight, he can be fine in a Bryan Thomas esque role. One of the main things that made him enticing to Rex was not only his leadership but his versatility as a Linebacker.

Te'o is a great player and would be huge in stopping the run and pass coverage for us. You guys don't get how good he is. Has nothing to do with me being an ND homer Hurricane, the guy can really ball at Linebacker. Our linebackers are terribly slow, that's a huge problem on defense for the Jets.

I am just not for an OG that early. Trading down in this case would be perfect and then we can take a guard in the 20's or so if must.

Cut down on weight? Davis is like 235. He'd need to put on like 20 pounds and completely change his game to play 3-4 OLB, not cut weight. It literally makes no sense whatsoever. He's going to end up starting inside next to Harris once Scott gets cut, and he'll help with speed at linebacker given his speed and ability to cover are why he was brought in.

Only way the Jets even consider Te'o is if they move to a 4-3, and even then it's silly because there's way bigger needs at other spots and they can address linebacker much more efficiently later in the draft while still getting a good player. The odds of the Jets drafting a non-pass rushing linebacker in the first round are slim to none, and I'd be livid if they did.

Also he clearly didn't project trades in this mock.

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Cut down on weight? Davis is like 235. He'd need to put on like 20 pounds and completely change his game to play 3-4 OLB, not cut weight. It literally makes no sense whatsoever. He's going to end up starting inside next to Harris once Scott gets cut, and he'll help with speed at linebacker given his speed and ability to cover are why he was brought in.

Only way the Jets even consider Te'o is if they move to a 4-3, and even then it's silly because there's way bigger needs at other spots and they can address linebacker much more efficiently later in the draft while still getting a good player. The odds of the Jets drafting a non-pass rushing linebacker in the first round are slim to none, and I'd be livid if they did.

I realize he didn't project trades, I was just speaking in general in regards to taking a guard.

And yeah my mistake, he'd probably have to add on weight but still keep his mobility at OLB. I think it can happen, just I don't think he can ever be a pure sack artist which is why I think he can work in a Bryan Thomas esque type of role. We'll agree to disagree though.

I just think Te'o is going to be a really good linebacker and since we miss out on the OLB pass rushers in this mock draft, we're caught in a bind and I'd hate to take a guard with the 10th pick. We skipped on Decastro who people said would be the next coming of Alan Faneca and he fell to the 20's.

I want OLB, S(Landry/Bell are FA and are **** at pass coverage), RB, OLine, WR with the first 5 picks.

dabears10
10-18-2012, 01:07 PM

Are you saying that Te'o can't play 3-4 ILB at the next level or it's not an important position to fill in the 3-4?

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Are you saying that Te'o can't play 3-4 ILB at the next level or it's not an important position to fill in the 3-4?
He doesn't feel our 3rd round pick Demario Davis can adjust to be an OLB and that he has to be the ILB next to Harris.

I happen to really think Te'O could be a stud in the NFL. Maybe not an elite LB but a heck of a talent and I am always of the belief that BPA>Need most of the time. We don't need an ILB as a No.1 need but if we can knock 2 birds out with one stone if Davis makes the transition at OLB as a run stopper.

We need 2 OLB since Pace is going to leave very soon and Bryan Thomas is pretty mediocre....

Bengals78
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Who started the "Hall hasn't been playing well" thing?
1. Our pass rush is inconsistent at best. We rack up the #s vs crap lines and then do nothing for 3 games. Hall is left alone a lot trying to cover all day.
2. He is coming off an Achilles tear and for that alone, he is actually playing pretty good and getting better each week.
3. Jason Allen and Dre Kirkpatrick are yet to play. We need to see what is there before we grab more corners with huge needs at DE, LB, S and RB

derza222
10-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Neither, I'm saying it's not a need for the Jets.

To clarify, the Jets are paying David Harris big money to man one ILB spot and drafted Demario Davis in the 3rd round last year with the intention of using him in sub packages as a linebacker this year (because he can cover some which was not a skill set the Jets had at linebacker the prior season) and take over for Bart Scott who should be a cap casualty next year. Now Davis isn't proven but:

- Both of the Jets starting safeties are going to be free agents after this season. Behind them they have 6th and 7th round picks and Eric Smith, who has proven he cannot start in the NFL. Maybe one of the late round picks starts next year, but at least one starter likely needs to be brought in, probably two.
- Both of the Jets starting guards are going to be free agents after the season. Brandon Moore is on the decline and Matt Slauson is average. Behind them are Caleb Schlauderaff who the FO apparently likes and former 2nd round bust Vlad Ducasse. Maybe one starts next year, but I'd be surprised if both do, and I'm not sure the Jets re-sign Slauson or Moore (they also have like next to no cap room even after cutting the obvious guys who will create savings).
- The Jets are running a platoon with Bryan Thomas (FA after the season) and Garrett McIntyre at one OLB slot and are starting Calvin Pace who will be a cap casualty at the other OLB slot. Aaron Maybin plays part time as a pass rusher and is also a FA after the season. Maybe McIntyre starts next year but this looks like another spot where 1-2 starters will need to be brought in or re-signed, again with little to no cap room.
- Shonn Greene has been extremely underwhelming and is a FA after the season. I'd be surprised if he's re-signed. I can only assume the players behind him are mediocre at best because they haven't broken through to take his starting job, so that's something that likely should be addressed this offseason.
- Mark Sanchez, and I know college dropout will disagree with me here, has proven to be a mediocre at best NFL QB and I feel if there's an opportunity for the Jets to upgrade him they should.
- Dustin Keller is a FA after the season. Jeff Cumberland is really a backup, there isn't anybody waiting in the wings.
- Austin Howard is basically starting by default at RT, but could easily be upgraded and probably should be at some point.
- Not that it should be addressed with an early pick, but the Jets's starting FB was picked up off the street this season.
- The Jets also lack playmakers, Santonio Holmes is a pain in the ass, and Stephen Hill is really raw

Basically I can tell you with nearly complete certainty (barring injury) who the Jets will be starting at both corner spots, on the defensive line, at one ILB spot, at center, and at left tackle. If Holmes is healthy and on the team (and I don't see who would take him off the Jets' hands) he's starting too. So right there ILB isn't much of a need. I can then tell you with a good level of confidence who is starting at the other ILB and WR slots (Davis and Hill). Everything else is up for grabs. So an ILB would be silly.

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
That's a really good post Derza, pretty much nails all of the points. However as you expected I'll defend going for a QB this year. Sanchez salary is guaranteed next year and with the tight rope we are on budget wise, I think he's going to be here until 2013 and then he will be let go. I don't know if he fends off Tebow for the gig next year but unless someone takes Sanchez deal, he will be on the team and thus it makes taking a QB high unlikely.

Just under what AntoinCD posted, this is not an ideal 1st round for the Jets. I'd rather they get the other Bama O-Lineman if he can offer up the possibility of playing RT even though Austin Howard has not been that bad.

derza222
10-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I'll agree that taking a QB high is unlikely. However, if a potential franchise QB is available the Jets shouldn't pass. I also don't think the Jets should take a QB just for the sake of taking one, that's what got them into this situation in the first place.