PDA

View Full Version : Sam McGuffie

BUTerriers
04-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Not in the Rivals 100 or 250, but is in the 80s on ESPN's list. All I've seen are his YouTube videos, but he seems to be incredibly quick with good moves and a definite skill at breaking tackles. Pretty good size too, 6 foot, 185 lbs with 4.4 speed and the frame to get bigger. Anyone know where he might end up, and how he projects to do in college? Here are the videos, in case you haven't seen them yet:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x4IJ17ODo_s - Full highlight reel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eygKqRMd94U
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hoQJPcj2qs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5sZUZU26w&NR=1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NDtYdCRSk3o

volman88
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Is he 08 cause I dont think that the rivals 100 is out yet.

Michigan
04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
he is 07, the rivals 100 is out without specific rankings, and Michigan is his confirmed leader

BUTerriers
04-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Is he on the Rivals 100 or 250? I must have missed him if he was, he looks very good.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not

rainbeaukid2
04-22-2007, 12:59 AM
he is crazy good, so is tyler hart and his videos are on youtube also

KCJ58
04-24-2007, 12:46 AM
HE's Half Man Half Amazing

jeweeee
04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
he is 07, the rivals 100 is out without specific rankings, and Michigan is his confirmed leader

he is not 07, i know for a fact he is 08 and will be a senior next year

YAYareaRB
04-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Hell of a track star too.

VY10
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I've heard he is hell of a high jumper. And yes, he is in the class of '08.

KCJ58
08-14-2007, 04:13 PM
he's going to Michigan

BigJohn98
08-14-2007, 04:20 PM
He already commited to Michigan.

KCJ58
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
He already commited to Michigan.

i just said that look up at your post :)

Brent
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
why would you bump this? the last post was in may.

CC
08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Check this out:

McGuffie does a front flip over JB Shugarts (http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/unverified-voracity-braces-for.html)

P-L
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Check this out:

McGuffie does a front flip over JB Shugarts (http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/unverified-voracity-braces-for.html)

That is crazy.

jared
11-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I was just about to post something on McGuffie when the thread got locked. Well here it is:
Guess who's ranked ahead of McGuffie now on Rivals.com, Cameron Saddler. http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=51646&Sport=1
I can understand their reasoning, I mean Saddler is 30 lbs. lighter, 6 inches shorter, slower (40 and shuttle), weaker, his vertical leap is a full foot less than Sam's, and he has about 1/3 the rushing yardage and 1/2 the total touchdowns in a less competitive division of football. Cameron does have a very good GPA however, gotta give him credit for a 4.28 (which is not far off of Sam's 40 time).

BTW: Was it really so controversial to predict that Brian Leonard would be converted to full time fullback and to opine that Sam McGuffie is getting hosed by recruiting services? Are the people of this site not capable of hearing a rationally expressed opinion that is not derogatory toward anyone in particular?

nhlkdog411
12-08-2007, 05:53 PM
mcguffie's ranking at rivals is ludicrous..8th best apb in the counrty and not even top 250?

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Check this out:

what is his vertical?? he looks very explosive, what position is he?

VoteLynnSwan
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
what is his vertical?? he looks very explosive, what position is he?

his vert is listed at 41in with a 4.32 40 on rivals.

he's a RB

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=54392&sport=1

DanteXavier
12-09-2007, 01:49 AM
mcguffie's ranking at rivals is ludicrous..8th best apb in the counrty and not even top 250?

I agree, completely nonsensical.

big daddy russ
12-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Alright, I live just down the road from Cy-Fair HS (McGuffie's HS) and have seen one of his games live. First thing's first: don't listen to those recruiting services. Some of the player rankings leave me scratching my head.

McGuffie's a great talent and can do quite a bit, but I don't know how good he'll be at learning how to just pick up four yards and be happy with that. Can put players on their butts, but tends to try to juke and outrun defenders too much and that could hurt him at the next level. Still, a great talent. After seeing some of the things he can do, I wouldn't hesitate to give him four stars as a prospect.

On that note, everyone around here is saying that he's seriously considering switching his committment to A&M. There's no solid sources on this, just second- and third-hand rumors, so take that info with a grain of salt. Hell of a ballplayer. The greater Houston area's all-time single-season rushing leader, and Houston's produced some greats. Eric Dickerson (Sealy), Kenneth Hall (Sugarland, nation's all-time career rushing king), and Thurman Thomas (Fort Bend Willowridge) just to name a few.

RyanLeaf#1
12-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Wouldn't shock me at all if he decided not to go to Michigan.

WildDude
12-16-2007, 03:52 PM
not anymore hes a perfect fit for Rodriguez's offense

P-L
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Sam said that if Les Miles was Michigan's coach, he'd decommit. If anyone else was named coached, he'd be a wolverine. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

BUTerriers
12-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Wow, didn't think that this thread was still going...Rodriguez used smaller backs than McGuffie at WVU (Slaton and Devine), but he should be a good fit in his system if he has good hands in the receiving game.

On a related note, does anyone have McGuffie's stats for this season? I can't seem to find them.

Sniper
12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
McGuffie is an amazing fit for this offense, I fully expect him to be in A2 this year.

big daddy russ
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
On a related note, does anyone have McGuffie's stats for this season? I can't seem to find them.

205-1,711 8.35 ypc 24 TDs

From the Houston Chronicle.

And I'm with you on the size issues, Terriers. He's not a small back by any stretch of the imagination. Last I heard, he's bulked up into the 190 range with room to grow. 5'11" 190 with the frame to add more is great size for a prospect.

nhlkdog411
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
just a question...has anyone here actually thought about how nasty sam's shuttle time is? i was looking at his rivals profile the other day, and his shuttle time is like 3.82..thats the second best time i've ever heard of for the shuttle at the NFL combine....the kid is so athletic its kind of freaky

P-L
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
just a question...has anyone here actually thought about how nasty sam's shuttle time is? i was looking at his rivals profile the other day, and his shuttle time is like 3.82..thats the second best time i've ever heard of for the shuttle at the NFL combine....the kid is so athletic its kind of freaky
Yeah... but he's white. That makes him overrated...

Sniper
12-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Maybe he could be a decent slot WR...nothing more ;)

P-L
12-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe he could be a decent slot WR...nothing more ;)
Meh.. If he can't move to QB, then he might as well just become a Kicker or Punter.

Sniper
12-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Meh.. If he can't move to QB, then he might as well just become a Kicker or Punter.

Maybe a corner, but he's white so he's probably too slow.

VoteLynnSwan
12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
he's gonna have to play SS... ala John Lynch.

B-Dawk
12-21-2007, 12:29 AM
add some weight and hes a perfect fullback

cunningham06
12-21-2007, 12:42 AM

He's our last hope. The great white running back does exist!

jbeans187
12-21-2007, 12:54 AM
dont know if u guys have seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2gplt2dyc

He's definetly not athletic at all, move him to LB where all the good white RBs go

Edit - this was posted on page one, sorry, but its worth another watch

CC
12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Fred Jackson was rehired by RR, hands off you greasy A&M bastards.

Marino13
12-30-2007, 09:00 PM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=756280

just a confirmation that he is staying

WMD
12-31-2007, 08:51 PM
dont know if u guys have seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2gplt2dyc

He's definetly not athletic at all, move him to LB where all the good white RBs go

Edit - this was posted on page one, sorry, but its worth another watch

He needs to do that in a Goal Line play.

Texas Homer
12-31-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm from the Cypress area and have seen Mcguffie play alot. Mcguffie looks like a white Reggie Bush. He has tremendous speed and can break tackles.

He looked like he put on about 20+ lbs. from his Jr. season to his Sr. season. When watching him, I thought he might have lost his 5th gear by putting on all the weight, but he had a really good playoff game late in the year running for around 275 yds. He's fine and will fit in really good in Michigan's offense.

Forenci
12-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Aye, he's quite good. It looks like he has some excellent vision based off watching a bunch of highlight tapes of McGuffie. The main thing he's going to need to learn at the next level is to not out run his blockers. It looked like a few times he opted to just out run his blockers, and while that's fine for high school football - more often than not that won't cut it in college.

If he has good hands, I see him being a great option at RB for the Wolverines.

nhlkdog411
01-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Texas, I'd definitely agree about the weight, I heard he was up to like 205 right now, but in terms of the speed, I'm pretty sure he had a sprained ankle basically all year and is only now basically fully healthy, so that is probably why he looked slower until the last game.

aheineken
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Rodriquez is going to have fun with him. If he can somehow get Pyror to commit, Michigan's running game will have the potential to be better than what RR had at WV with Slaton and White.

VYTitans
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
You know I hate to be the devil's advocate here but I personally think that McGuffie is WAY to overrated. He is praised by so many to be the best thing since sliced bread, it seems to me that he has a running style like that of Adrian Peterson's, that is an upright one, and this type of running style is not very conducive to a long and efficient career. In fact that running style leads to injuries.

From what I have seen of him it also seems that if he doesn't nail that home run hit than he's going to be dropped in the backfield or met at the line as he seems to try and bounce every run to the outside or juke everyone out. This isn't to say that he can't lower his shoulder, but it seems that he tries to always bust the big one.

However these are just my opinions, just like ya'll have yours.

nhlkdog411
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
he's really not that overrated considering rivals has him as the tenth (TENTH?!) best all purpose back and not even in the top 100 or so players. Theres people who are worse than him in literally every aspect who are ranked ahead of him so I'm not sure how he can be overrated. Also, even on this bored, so many people seem to think he is overrated that he is probably underrated here. I don't see how he doesn't become at least as good as Slaton was at WVU while he is at Michigan.

Babylon
01-09-2008, 05:54 PM
If i were him i'd go somewhere else.

Sniper
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
If i were him i'd go somewhere else.

Awesome analysis. Mind telling us why seeing as how Rodriguez's system is tailor made for him?

Babylon
01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Awesome analysis. Mind telling us why seeing as how Rodriguez's system is tailor made for him?

My guess is he committed to go there in the first place because LLoyd Carr and Ryan Mallett were going to be there, now they're gone along with most likely your top 2 WRs. Maybe that option offense they run will be good for him but i think they are going to struggle there.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
After seeing him play in the under armour game, and watching some old highlights he is a perfect fit for Rodriguez system, he is freakishly athletic and I cant wait to see how he will be used...

If i were Pryor I would be looking at guys like him going to Michigan and that would make my decision a little easier...That shuttle time is incredibly fast, and he looks it on the field, he has some amazing acceleration and quickness

Sniper
01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
After seeing him play in the under armour game, and watching some old highlights he is a perfect fit for Rodriguez system, he is freakishly athletic and I cant wait to see how he will be used...

If i were Pryor I would be looking at guys like him going to Michigan and that would make my decision a little easier...That shuttle time is incredibly fast, and he looks it on the field, he has some amazing acceleration and quickness

You say that, sadly the Buckeyes decided this was a great year for probably their greatest recruiting class ever. 3 of the top 7 OL among other weapons. Hope Pryor goes to Michigan though. Imagine him, McGuffie and Carlos Brown on a triple option?

keylime_5
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Sure he's very talented, but some question how he will do in the Big Ten, and while it's all great and all to see McGuffie going to UM where he fits perfect into RR's offense, RR still doesn't have any other pieces in place on offense at WR or O-Line to run his spread like he had at WVU where the machine was rolling at full steam - so Pryor could go to Michigan where the cupboard is bare except for a couple young RBs....or he could go to Ohio State and run behind Mike Adams, Mike Brewster, JB Shugarts, maybe Josh Jenkins, Bryant Browning, Connor Smith, and Jimmy Cordle and use DeVier Posey, Jake Stoneburner, Lamaar Thomas, Taurian Washington, Dane Sanzenbacher, Ray Small, Brian Hartline, Jake Ballard, Brandon Saine, and Boom Herron at his disposal. Would Vince Young have been so amazing at Texas if he didn't have the best O-Line in the nation in 2005 along with a great RB unit and a loaded WR corps? I don't think he would've been nearly as productive, though still good if he had just mediocre talent around him.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Imagine him, McGuffie and Carlos Brown on a triple option?

That is pretty beastly right off the bat, I can only imagine...Either way I cant wait to see how McGuffie looks out there, is he going to play immediately next year or just sparingly?

Sure he's very talented, but some question how he will do in the Big Ten, and while it's all great and all to see McGuffie going to UM where he fits perfect into RR's offense, RR still doesn't have any other pieces in place on offense at WR or O-Line to run his spread like he had at WVU where the machine was rolling at full steam - so Pryor could go to Michigan where the cupboard is bare except for a couple young RBs....or he could go to Ohio State and run behind Mike Adams, Mike Brewster, JB Shugarts, maybe Josh Jenkins, Bryant Browning, Connor Smith, and Jimmy Cordle and use DeVier Posey, Jake Stoneburner, Lamaar Thomas, Taurian Washington, Dane Sanzenbacher, Ray Small, Brian Hartline, Jake Ballard, Brandon Saine, and Boom Herron at his disposal. Would Vince Young have been so amazing at Texas if he didn't have the best O-Line in the nation in 2005 along with a great RB unit and a loaded WR corps? I don't think he would've been nearly as productive, though still good if he had just mediocre talent around him.

Yea but asking if VY would have been as great had he not been at Texas is pretty much like saying imagine him at OU, thats the difference between OU and UT, same with OSU and UM, yes one school has more talent then the other at certain stages but both are great programs and I have no doubt RR will continue to bring in players, it might not look as good as UM right now but i wouldnt go as far to say the cupboard is fair...Juice Williams doesnt have that many options at his disposal but he makes it work out fine, because he makes the players around him better...same goes for Pryor, I feel like wherever he goes he is going to make his surrounding cast better, and even if OSU did bring in a stronger class I think he would mask it, by the time his junior year rolled around im pretty sure UM would have talent around him to make that a dangerous offense

CC
01-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Seriously? Bare? This is Michigan we are talking about, not Cincinatti. We have brought in 14 4 stars in this class with more on the way and it's not as if Michigan has been roping sleeper bums with no hype around them the last few years, UM brings in top talent at every position year in and year out.

LonghornsLegend
01-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Seriously? Bare? This is Michigan we are talking about, not Cincinatti. We have brought in 14 4 stars in this class with more on the way and it's not as if Michigan has been roping sleeper bums with no hype around them the last few years, UM brings in top talent at every position year in and year out.

that was exactly my point, just because people dont know who guys are doesnt mean the next batch wont be just as talented, all of the top tier programs reload very well without much of a problem, only thing they wont have is experience, talent is another story

Sniper
01-19-2008, 10:58 AM

What are you talking about? We went 9-4, so we clearly suck and always will. ;)

P-L
01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Michigan still has plenty of talent returning on offense, and the majority of our defense. Our 23rd ranked scoring defense and 7th ranked pass defense returns all but 3 starters. Jonas Mouton is very likely going to be an upgrade over Chris Graham anyways. As far as offense goes, we're stacked at RB. While none of our guys are as good as Mike Hart, we'll have four quality backs. Carlos Brown played real well in limited playing time, Kevin Grady comes back from injury, and there are high expectations for McGuffie. Brandon Minor, who could probably start for a third of teams in D1-A next season, is going to be the third or fourth option. I'm not even going to bring up Avery Horn or Mike Cox. I'm really not concerned with our WR's at all. Manningham and Arrington were great, but Greg Mathews has showed a lot of promise and we have a ton of recruits from the past two classes. The OL is a bit of a concern, but I'd like to think we've recruited well enough for it to at least be solid.

All this talk about going 3-8 or 4-7 is completely ridiculous. I think 6-6 is an absolute worst case scenario. With 7-5 or 8-4 much more likely. We're not going to compete for a National Championship this year, but the cupboard is far from bare.

Texas Homer
01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
He's not even close to being overated.

My concern is can he hold up at RB in the Big ten and stay healthy.

energizerbunny
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I said this about 2 years ago when we first started to learn about McGuffie but.......

I have never seen a highschool oline work so well in tandem and get to the 2nd level as consistently as McGuffie's.... maybe one of the most athletic olines i've ever seen in highschool

THis is the only thing that worries me about him, if you don't believe me go and watch some of these tapes and just focus on the oline

Xiomera
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh my god . . . this dude better not change to Cal at the last second . . .

Sniper
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh my god . . . this dude better not change to Cal at the last second . . .

If he's scared of competition (Robinson, Shaw) then don't ******* come. I think McGuffie is awesome but competition weeds out the weak.

Xiomera
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
If he's scared of competition (Robinson, Shaw) then don't ******* come. I think McGuffie is awesome but competition weeds out the weak.

He's probably not man enough to handle the Midwest weather . . . sunshine in California is for weaklings, not true football warriors.

Addict
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
this kid has been hyped since he was a highschool sophomore, no way he's gonna live up to the hype...

CC
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I am not concerned about McGuffie leaving and neither is Dan O'Neill.

www.mgoblog.com

LonghornsLegend
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Cal has just as much competition for the job as Michigan does, I dont even understand the last minute change...Covaughn DeBoskie is going to be solid for Cal

jared
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Hyped only to be downgraded and disrespected by services like Rivals who rank him behind backs that are inferior in every tangible way.

P-L
02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Things are definitely looking better now than they were a few hours ago...

Rich Jr
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Things are definitely looking better now than they were a few hours ago...Anxiety i'm sure. This is a life changing decision he's making. I hope he goes to UM I want to see him in the offense.

CroomDawgs
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea P-L i heard he was ticked baout signing Robinson and Shaw but is still committed

Marino13
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Yea P-L i heard he was ticked baout signing Robinson and Shaw but is still committed

pretty much since TRob and Shaw are both highly thought of RBs, but Jackson and RichRod have been assuring McGuffie that they are not being recruited as RBs (which is true). TRob even said when he committed that he was being recruited to play slot WR, and Shaw was offered as WR but could move to CB.

Marino13
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
McGuffie has signed his LOI

Triumphdog
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
McGuffie has signed his LOI

Link? Or is this a joke? WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE!

Marino13
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
http://michigan.scout.com/2/727202.html

Xiomera
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
http://michigan.scout.com/2/727202.html

Well that's good to hear.

What a funny picture . . . guy is goofy.

Rich Jr
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Damn dudes ripped eh?

P-L
02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
McGuffie never really wavered on his commitment, it was just that some people on the Cal-side told him some stuff early yesterday morning that was not true about Michigan. He freaked out, didn't go to school, and wouldn't answer his phone. Michigan's RB coach Fred Jackson couldn't get a hold of him until mid/late afternoon to clear things up.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Sam McGuffie
Kevin Grady
Michael Shaw
Brandon Minor

Thats a running attack for you right there.

TimD
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
McGuffie never really wavered on his commitment, it was just that some people on the Cal-side told him some stuff early yesterday morning that was not true about Michigan. He freaked out, didn't go to school, and wouldn't answer his phone. Michigan's RB coach Fred Jackson couldn't get a hold of him until mid/late afternoon to clear things up.

Wow I wonder what happened? Where did you hear of this?

kwilk103
02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
anyone else think he gets jacked up trying to hurdle a defender? yes, i know leonard did it and so did schmitt, but they did it to cbs and they outweigh mcguffie by like 40 lbs

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
anyone else think he gets jacked up trying to hurdle a defender? yes, i know leonard did it and so did schmitt, but they did it to cbs and they outweigh mcguffie by like 40 lbs

McGuffie will run wild next year.

Sniper
02-08-2008, 04:28 PM

kwilk continuing his misplaced rage at Michigan...

kwilk103
02-08-2008, 04:54 PM
what, its a legit question; if he went to osu i would ask the same thing; if he went to wvu, i'd be worried he tries to leap someone and gets jacked up