PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

drowe
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
while i do agree that the outfield depth makes Matt LaPorta more expendable than Gamel, i do worry about trading him for one reason:
Prince Fielder. the dude is turning into kind of a head case lately, and it's unclear whether he can be re signed. if he leaves, we can put LaPorta at first to replace him. think of the booty we'd end up with if we traded Fielder at the deadline in 2 years...especially if he's not in our long term plans, which, i don't believe he is.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I would only trade for Sabathia on the condition that we are able to sign him long term. Otherwise all we'll get in 2 supplemental draft picks for losing Sheets and Sabathia in free agency.

With that said, Sabathia reportedly wants a contrat like Johan Santana got from the Mets. The Brewers aren't going to sign anybody to a $100+ million contract. We simply cannot! We still need to sign guys like Hart and Gallardo long term along with potentially Hardy, Weeks, and Fielder.

I agree with Drowe, LaPorta is a huge asset to us because he can also play first base. Plus lets remember that Cameron is a free agent after the season. Hart could shift over to CF and that would open up RF for LaPorta.

As for Gamel, would we really want to trade away a bat like his? A LEFT HANDED bat like his? We don't have many lefties on the team so that makes Gamel another big asset to the club. Who cares if his defense needs work, his bat is invaluable. We let Weeks develop defensively at 2B and I can see the Brewers doing the same thing with Gamel at 3B.

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't want to move a big prospect either, but if we want to make noise and compete this season we need to add a game changing pitcher. With a rotation of Sheets, Parra, Suppan, Bush, and McClung we can fall victim to a big losing streak because of the weakness towards the bottom. You add a pitcher the quaility of Sabathia then you have two aces, a #3 in Parra, and a postseason stud in Suppan. It helps us in all assets going through the regular season and if we make the playoffs. Sabathia got experience last year in the ALCS so he can bring that experience factor as well.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't want to move a big prospect either, but if we want to make noise and compete this season we need to add a game changing pitcher. With a rotation of Sheets, Parra, Suppan, Bush, and McClung we can fall victim to a big losing streak because of the weakness towards the bottom. You add a pitcher the quaility of Sabathia then you have two aces, a #3 in Parra, and a postseason stud in Suppan. It helps us in all assets going through the regular season and if we make the playoffs. Sabathia got experience last year in the ALCS so he can bring that experience factor as well.

I guess I don't want to mortage the future on a rental player who may or may not pan out. If we can compete year in and year out we'll always have a chance to get to the playoffs/World Series.

I can see trading one of them, Gamel, but not 2. We'd also probably have to give up on a young catcher, possibly Angel Salome.

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I guess I don't want to mortage the future on a rental player who may or may not pan out. If we can compete year in and year out we'll always have a chance to get to the playoffs/World Series.

I can see trading one of them, Gamel, but not 2. We'd also probably have to give up on a young catcher, possibly Angel Salome.

young catcher??? They have Victor Martinez

GB12
07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I think either/or is expendable

start with LaPorta....Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are the staples of the outfield and there's one missing piece. LaPorta, Tony Gwynn Jr., Cole Gillespie, and Michael Brantley are all capable orf taking that third job by the end of next season or sooner. Outfield depth is not a problem and in addition to those players Darren Ford, Lorenzo Cain, and Caleb Gindl all appear to be potential OF solutions. LaPorta is a great prospect, but at this point the Brewers are 2 games out of the wildcard and 4.5 out of the division and they could have the ability to add a Cy Young award winner to the rotation and win big this year.

Mat Gamel...a stud from the left side of the plate who does struggle defensively. Out of him and LaPorta I would actually prefer that he stays because of the fact he plays 3B and bats lefty. The Brewers also don't have the depth on the leftside of the infield that they do in the outfield. Escobar could be up soon and play SS and the Brewers could move JJ to third so given that scenario the Brewers could move Gamel.

In the end the Brewers have so much outfield depth that could make an impact soon that they could afford to move LaPorta more than Gamel. I'd hate to see either leave, but at some point you have to pay the price to win.
If we were to move one of the two the other would most likely be the third outfielder. Meaning if we traded LaPorta we'd probably give up on Gamel at 3rd and move him to the outfield like Braun. We could use Russell Branyan in the immediate future with hopefully Taylor Green being the longterm solution at 3B.

It's not filling out the outfield that is the concern it's that I don't think a half year of Sabathia is worth giving up the careers of these top prospects. I'm not a fan of rental players to begin with and not for that steep of a price. I don't think there is another team that would offer that much so he might come cheaper than that too. A package of Michael Brantley, Jonathan Lucroy, and Brad Nelson would give the Indians multiple good prospects without losing the top guys. Maybe throw in a low level pitcher or something, but that doesn't look to bad for either side.

GB12
07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I would only trade for Sabathia on the condition that we are able to sign him long term. Otherwise all we'll get in 2 supplemental draft picks for losing Sheets and Sabathia in free agency.

With that said, Sabathia reportedly wants a contrat like Johan Santana got from the Mets. The Brewers aren't going to sign anybody to a $100+ million contract. We simply cannot! We still need to sign guys like Hart and Gallardo long term along with potentially Hardy, Weeks, and Fielder.

I agree with Drowe, LaPorta is a huge asset to us because he can also play first base. Plus lets remember that Cameron is a free agent after the season. Hart could shift over to CF and that would open up RF for LaPorta.

As for Gamel, would we really want to trade away a bat like his? A LEFT HANDED bat like his? We don't have many lefties on the team so that makes Gamel another big asset to the club. Who cares if his defense needs work, his bat is invaluable. We let Weeks develop defensively at 2B and I can see the Brewers doing the same thing with Gamel at 3B.
Yeah, if we can't sign Sheets long term there is no way in hell we'd have a chance at Sabathia.

Gamel being left handed is also huge as once we trade Prince, Gamel is the only left hander we have that can hit in the middle of the line up.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
young catcher??? They have Victor Martinez

I know, but he only has 3 more years left and that 3rd year can be bought out. By then Salome would be ready or they could simply trade Martinez for more young prospects. The Indians don't have many IF prospects so it would likely contain another IFer.

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I hate the idea of a rental player just as much as everyone else, but you look at the last two years when the Brewers were contending and decided to make moves. In 2006, they tried to add bats/veterans to the team, and they came up short. In 2007, they tried to bolster the pen a bit, but that feel apart. They need to add a player who can make a HUGE impact every time he's out there, and a SP like Sabathia gives you that. The Brewers can continue to get better and wait for more prospects to compete, but year in and year out there will be prospects who don't pan out and established major league talents who will have to move on due to financial reasons, and at some point in time you have to risk the potential of some for the proven of another.

GB12
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
The thing is getting Sabathia only gives us a better shot at the playoffs. I still don't think we're a World Series team with him. If we we're in position to make a serious run I'd say go for it, but realistically that's not the case this year. If we still had Gallardo I'd be more inclined to make this trade. Sheets/Sabathia/Gallardo/Suppan would be awesome to have together in the postseason.

drowe
07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I hate the idea of a rental player just as much as everyone else, but you look at the last two years when the Brewers were contending and decided to make moves. In 2006, they tried to add bats/veterans to the team, and they came up short. In 2007, they tried to bolster the pen a bit, but that feel apart. They need to add a player who can make a HUGE impact every time he's out there, and a SP like Sabathia gives you that. The Brewers can continue to get better and wait for more prospects to compete, but year in and year out there will be prospects who don't pan out and established major league talents who will have to move on due to financial reasons, and at some point in time you have to risk the potential of some for the proven of another.

excellent point. nobody will argue that building through your farm system is the best way to go. but, when you're a team like the Brewers and are at a financial disadvantage year after year, when you have the opportunity to make a move at the post season, you have to take it. who knows how many opportunities you'll have in the future. yeah, it won't be cheap...but the Brewers have had nothing BUT prospects for 2 decades and year after year we've groomed them and then traded them for more prospects when their contracts were coming due. it's time to try to put it all together and make a move while we have a window.

drowe
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
The thing is getting Sabathia only gives us a better shot at the playoffs. I still don't think we're a World Series team with him. If we we're in position to make a serious run I'd say go for it, but realistically that's not the case this year. If we still had Gallardo I'd be more inclined to make this trade. Sheets/Sabathia/Gallardo/Suppan would be awesome to have together in the postseason.

see, the fact that Gallardo is hurt makes me more in favor of a move. losing Gallardo hurts...and now, when he comes back next year, we'll be without Ben Sheets. we can't just wait for all the pieces to be perfectly in place with our prospects because we'll be waiting forever. we have to just bite the bullet, say "this is our year because we're gonna make it our year" and do what it takes to win.

drowe
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
also, JJ Hardy...WTF?

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
see, the fact that Gallardo is hurt makes me more in favor of a move. losing Gallardo hurts...and now, when he comes back next year, we'll be without Ben Sheets. we can't just wait for all the pieces to be perfectly in place with our prospects because we'll be waiting forever. we have to just bite the bullet, say "this is our year because we're gonna make it our year" and do what it takes to win.

If Gallardo can make it back for September the Brewers could go into the palyoffs with flying colors. Imagine a rotation at the end of the year which would consist of Sheets, Sabathia, Parra, Gallardo, and Suppan. YIKES!

drowe
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
If Gallardo can make it back for September the Brewers could go into the palyoffs with flying colors. Imagine a rotation at the end of the year which would consist of Sheets, Sabathia, Parra, Gallardo, and Suppan. YIKES!

that would be boner inspiring.

GB12
07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
From what I have heard Gallardo has no chance of making it back this year. If you have a source saying there's a chance please post it. That'd be great news.

GB12
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Speaking of pitching, how great has the back of our rotation been lately. Parra, Bush, and McClung have all pitched very well the past month and a half or so.

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
From what I have heard Gallardo has no chance of making it back this year. If you have a source saying there's a chance please post it. That'd be great news.

The source is still from about a month back, but there is a slight chance he comes back and he's young so his ability to recoup is greater than if it were someone like Suppan

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Wow, Prince has been stinking it up lately. These guys need to learn some disipline and how to take pitches.

drowe
07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah, seriously...if somebody told me before this road trip that Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun would hit below .100 and Ben Sheets would have his worst start of the year, i'd guess we'd win 1 game on the road trip.

it's AMAZING that we've been able to work past the slumps and piece together a very respectable road trip.

GB12
07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
yeah, seriously...if somebody told me before this road trip that Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun would hit below .100 and Ben Sheets would have his worst start of the year, i'd guess we'd win 1 game on the road trip.

it's AMAZING that we've been able to work past the slumps and piece together a very respectable road trip.
JJ Hardy going into a hot streak as well as offensive production from backups like Mike Riviera and Gabe Kapler have been huge to this successful road trip.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Thank you JJ Hardy and Corey Hart. Nice to see some other guys step up when we need them.

I'm also glad to see Hardy back in the 2 hole. He's at his best hitting wise in that spot.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
JJ Hardy going into a hot streak as well as offensive production from backups like Mike Riviera and Gabe Kapler have been huge to this successful road trip.

Yeah thats right! Both of those guys have also stepped up and rilled their roles.

drowe
07-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Manny Parra. that is all.

GB12
07-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm also glad to see Hardy back in the 2 hole. He's at his best hitting wise in that spot.
Simple reason for that. He's a great fastball hitter. Hitting in front of Braun he's going to see a lot of fastballs. It's just a shame it took Ned nearly half a season to realize that.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Simple reason for that. He's a great fastball hitter. Hitting in front of Braun he's going to see a lot of fastballs. It's just a shame it took Ned nearly half a season to realize that.

Exactally.

GB12
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Prince Fielder: 0-5
JJ Hardy: 4-5, HR, 2 2B, RBI

That just doesn't look right.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I hate Mota..

GB12
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I hate Mota..
He really has no business being the 8th inning guy.

Forget Sabathia, we need a reliever.

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Son of a *****!! 5-3

This team is so damn inconsistant. Shouse isn't nearly as good as he was last year Yost, this is what, the 3rd time that this has happened?

Kampman for President
07-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Wow.............

princefielder28
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I am at a loss of words.....Mota needs to get the hell out!

GB12
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
If we would have lost this one from the beginning I would have been fine. Feeling good about a successful road trip, but to blow a 5 run lead in the 9th, man that sucks.

GB12
07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Great news. http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/03/sabathia-deal-is-possible.aspx Getting serious about trading for Sabathia without having to give up LaPorta or Gamel. That would be awesome.

princefielder28
07-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Great news. http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/03/sabathia-deal-is-possible.aspx Getting serious about trading for Sabathia without having to give up LaPorta or Gamel. That would be awesome.

Boy if Melvin is able to pull off a deal without using those two, props to him

the_legend_killer
07-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Any deal without Gamel, LaPorta or even Escobar spells W-I-N for me.

princefielder28
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal the Brewers have offered Matt LaPorta in a deal for CC Sabathia...this could be a ploy to drive up the price for other teams, and is something to certainly keep an eye on.

badgerbacker
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal the Brewers have offered Matt LaPorta in a deal for CC Sabathia...this could be a ploy to drive up the price for other teams, and is something to certainly keep an eye on.
The only way I would accept LePorta leaving is if we had Prince signed to a long term deal. This makes me very nervous if it's true.

rumfinator
07-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Just got back from the game today. Fantastic Game...Carlos pitched fantastic in relief and got the save. J.J. Hardy continues to hit everything.

the_legend_killer
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Just got back from the game today. Fantastic Game...Carlos pitched fantastic in relief and got the save. J.J. Hardy continues to hit everything.

Same here, perfect day for baseball. Sheets threw a lot of pitches, but managed to wiggle off the hook. Good to see Bill Hall hit the ball for a change (But, he usually does hit Lefties).

princefielder28
07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Mike Cameron goes deep Brewers have early lead

I guess the going rumor for Sabathia is the Brewers sending Cleveland 3B Taylor Green, OF Lorenzo Cain, and OF Matt LaPorta

princefielder28
07-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Fielder with a walk off base hit!

I think if the Brewers trade fior Sabathia that Dave Bush will be the Brewers 5th starter and McClung will be moved to the pen...McClung has generally be better than Bush but he would provide a boost to the pen and Dave Bush doesn't provide much versatility other than being a starter

the_legend_killer
07-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Bush certainly plead his case today to remain in the rotation when/if CC comes to town.

bearsfan_51
07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
The only way I would accept LePorta leaving is if we had Prince signed to a long term deal. This makes me very nervous if it's true.
The Brewers are going to have to make serious inroads at making the playoffs at the very least. I don't think continually waiting for prospects to take the place of guys you can't afford is going to cut it (unless you're the Marlins of course). I suppose this is hitting the panic button a bit, but personally I think it's a no-brainer for both sides.

princefielder28
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
He really has no business being the 8th inning guy.

Forget Sabathia, we need a reliever.

8th inning guy may be Eric Gagne here in the near future

Boston
07-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Jesus Christ Suppan, suck harder.

princefielder28
07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
According to sportsline.com the Brewers have told the Indians that they may have two of their top five prospects in a deal, but the Indians may not have the combo of LaPorta and Escobar.

Boston
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
According to sportsline.com the Brewers have told the Indians that they may have two of their top five prospects in a deal, but the Indians may not have the combo of LaPorta and Escobar.

1a. LaPorta
1b. Gamel
3. Escobar
4. Jeffress
5. Green

I don't like that at all. If we trade two of them, I'm going to be pretty pissed off. I could life with LaPorta and Green, but anything else would be pretty bad.

princefielder28
07-06-2008, 04:41 PM
CC sabathia update : Matt LaPorta did sit out of today's AA-Huntsville game

Boston
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta and two other minor league players is now official.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

bearsfan_51
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Good risk for the Brewers to take. They won't be able to resign him, but you don't get the chance at a top notch player like C.C. during the trading deadline that often. Plus considering that the American league is infinitely better than the National league you could make a legit argument that C.C. comes in as the best pitcher in the league already.

drowe
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
i'm very excited. fun time to be a brewer fan!

EvilMonkey
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Good risk for the Brewers to take. They won't be able to resign him, but you don't get the chance at a top notch player like C.C. during the trading deadline that often. Plus considering that the American league is infinitely better than the National league you could make a legit argument that C.C. comes in as the best pitcher in the league already.

also, cant forget that when/if(i can hope) he doesnt resign, we will get early draft picks as compensation. If Sheets and CC both dont resign and go to teams with a record in the top half of the league, we'll end up with 5 picks in the top 35-40 next year, which isnt the worst thing in the world. Yeah, it's probably a rental, but we'll still get some other value out of it.

Geo
07-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Sabathia is a true ace, one of the elite pitchers in the league. I love the Brewers acquiring him, he gets to pitch in the NL plus he's going to get run support. I just wish they could sign him long-term, because he's one of my fave players and I really like the Brew Crew.

Him and Prince can lay off the fried Oreos together, lol.

umphrey
07-07-2008, 05:29 PM
This is gonna be a fun year to watch the Brewers.

Who do you think we resign out of Prince, Sabathia and Sheets?

Geo
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd love to see them keep Prince and CC. I would take my chances with Sabathia's history of workload over Sheets' durability concerns, I think.

My pick of the three would be Prince.

rumfinator
07-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I am not to worried about Prince right now. I would, however, like the Brewers to resign him, because that would help the prospect of Corey Hart staying in Milwaukee. (Prince and Corey are pretty much best friends.)

Matt Gamel continues to hit well in AA, but he is a unknown commodity until he performs at the big league level. I wouldn't mind the idea of Gamel at first base if Prince leaves but I would like to retain Prince....the known variable.

princefielder28
07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Mcclung struggled with control, and the Crew struggled against Jimenez...came up short of a comeback

Boston
07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
This team is just frustrating some times...

princefielder28
07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
This team is just frustrating some times...

The most frustrating thing for me tonight came when Braun hammered that ball up the middle, in the th, but it hit the mound and the Rockies turned two....instead of two runs in and runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs it was runner at third with 2 outs...Prince did go on to homer, but still a bad taste in the mouth.

TitleTown088
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Him and Prince can lay off the fried Oreos together, lol. Are Oreos Vegetarian?

drowe
07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
ugh. i've never been so unhappy to see a Brewer's homer than i was when Prince jacked the 2 run shot right after Braun hit into a double play. i guess it's a small consolation that most of those runners shouldn't have been on base anyway.

the_legend_killer
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Thank you everybody, Braunie's here until 2015!

jackalope
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Terrible call at 2nd. The runner was clearly off the base and it cost the Brewers a run.

umphrey
07-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Went to the game, solid start from Sabbathia. Not ideal but he came up big when he needed to at least. I think he'll have better games for us. Playoff bound for sure.

yodabear
07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Playoff bound for sure.

Hell no, I u guys aren't going to the playoffs, I GUARANTEE IT, HELL ******* NO, THE BREWERS AREN'T MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. SIG BET ME!

D-Unit
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Hell no, I u guys aren't going to the playoffs, I GUARANTEE IT, HELL ******* NO, THE BREWERS AREN'T MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. SIG BET ME!
Have you ever won a sig bet? Like ever? At all?

yodabear
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Have you ever won a sig bet? Like ever? At all?

I did, the Giants won the super bowl :).

princefielder28
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Ben Sheets has 10 Ks through 5

Boston
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Good ******* call on Mota Ned, again... If at first you don't succeed, do the exact same ******* thing.

princefielder28
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Mota will be the piece that is removed when Suppan comes back and McClung will go back to the pen.

drowe
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Mota will be the piece that is removed when Suppan comes back and McClung will go back to the pen.

i would GLADLY remove Mota's piece right now.

AlexDown
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The good old days of Guillermo Mota...

Boston
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
8 K's through five for Bush. Not bad.

umphrey
07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Hart won the all star vote. I wonder if the HR he hit with 35 minutes of voting left affected the results.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080710&content_id=3107903&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

princefielder28
07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Hart won the all star vote. I wonder if the HR he hit with 35 minutes of voting left affected the results.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080710&content_id=3107903&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

Good for Corey....Dave Bush with 13 Ks today....WOW!

PackerLegend
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
This thread should be changed to "Hi im Guatemala Mota and Im a ****ing ****** who cant even spell my own name let along ****ing pitch, and who the **** knows why the Brewers keep me? My retardedness must have rubbed off on them. Haha ****ing idiotttttz"

Do it you know you want to, anyways great game today.

drowe
07-11-2008, 07:49 AM
i'm so happy that Corey Hart is an all star!

and, wtf is up with Dave Bush? no hitter through 7 a couple starts ago..then the 1 run gem against pittsburgh...now he strikes out 13??? he think he's good or something.

princefielder28
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
i'm so happy that Corey Hart is an all star!

and, wtf is up with Dave Bush? no hitter through 7 a couple starts ago..then the 1 run gem against pittsburgh...now he strikes out 13??? he think he's good or something.

Bush has a 2.49 ERA in 9 home starts...remarkable stat

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
"Good thing the ball didn't hit Mike Cameron in the face." Why? It should have he obviously cant find it and catch it anyways. A huge error and a comfortable 3 run led is toast.

umphrey
07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Mike Cameron is a doosh. Isn't his strength supposed to be fielding? He might end up losing the game for us

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 09:42 PM
This is sickening and we should have kept our young talent instead of trading for CC when were so inconsistent. Hope we can do something here.

Boston
07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
There's no way in hell that was a strike. And of course, the dumbasses at FSN aren't going to show it immediately, and make me watch the piece of **** known as 'Brewers Live.'

princefielder28
07-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I didn't get to see the game tonight, but the box score indicates poor defense

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't get to see the game tonight, but the box score indicates poor defense

If I were you I would be happy that you didnt.

GB12
07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Couple things.

1. I didn't want to give up LaPorta, but I'm very happy getting CC. I can't wait to see him pitch tomorrow. Since the rest of the prospects we gave up weren't much I don't mind. If it was LaPorta and another top level guy like Escobar I would have been furious.

2. Ryan Braun getting the most votes for NL outfielders is awesome. Topping a huge fan favorite in Ken Griffey Jr., a star who plays for the Cubs in Soriano, and a Japanese OF that plays for the Cubs in Fukudome is a great accomplishment. That's a serious fan base if the smallest market in MLB can outvote the mass amouint of Cubs fans and the entire nation of Japan. Getting Corey Hart in just proves that more. Milwaukee fans always seem to show up in the final vote though.

3. Sheets is the leading candidate to start the allstar game in large part because he will be well rested. While it'd be fun to see him start I'm hoping he doesn't. I don't want him throwing any more than an inning. I'd rather he get the extra rest and not risk hurting himself than watch him in the ASG.

princefielder28
07-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Bullpen sucks!!!

PACKmanN
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
maybe you guys could trade for BJ Ryan. He is on the block :)

Boston
07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
So, right now, we need Mota and Gagne to get the **** outta Milwaukee. Bring Dillard and somebody else up.

GB12
07-12-2008, 11:08 PM
So, right now, we need Mota and Gagne to get the **** outta Milwaukee. Bring Dillard and somebody else up.
Dillard's not the answer. I think he can be a contributor in the bullpen in the future, but he's not ready yet. DFA Mota and bring up Luis Pena. Give Pena a trial run in the majors and see how he does then reasses the situation when Suppan comes off the DL.

Boston
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Dillard's not the answer. I think he can be a contributor in the bullpen in the future, but he's not ready yet. DFA Mota and bring up Luis Pena. Give Pena a trial run in the majors and see how he does then reasses the situation when Suppan comes off the DL.

Meh, I don't know. Dillard's been pretty damn good since being sent down.

GB12
07-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Mat Gamel is 0-0 with 2 BB in the futures game.

LaPorta is 1-1 with an at bat coming next inning.

umphrey
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Great game so far. 3 strikeouts in the 9th by CC is godlike.

GB12
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
CC Sabthia.

What is how do we avoid our horrid bullpen

princefielder28
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Great game so far. 3 strikeouts in the 9th by CC is godlike.

Big win today! Build a little momentum heading into the break....good time for the offense to get a break

Boston
07-13-2008, 04:46 PM
What an awesome game to sleep through! :(

the_legend_killer
07-13-2008, 05:23 PM
And CC's starting the next game too, lol.

Sportsfan486
07-14-2008, 02:50 AM
If only we had a decent bullpen.. we'd be unstoppable.

princefielder28
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Ben Sheets will start the All-Star Game for the NL

umphrey
07-15-2008, 11:05 PM
AMAZING all star game. In the bottom of the 10th, the AL was batting with bases loaded and no outs (game still tied), and the NL managed to get out of it. Going into the 11th now.

Edit: A little less exciting as it will probably end up as a tie or NL loss now.

GB12
07-16-2008, 12:45 AM
What a poor showing for Braun and Hart. At least Sheets did well.

princefielder28
07-16-2008, 12:48 AM
What a poor showing for Braun and Hart. At least Sheets did well.

I liked Sheets attitude and the way he pitched on a big stage....he doesn't have the playoff experience like CC but I think this environment was as close as you could get to it

princefielder28
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Prince goes oppo and CC is dominating!!!

PackerLegend
07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Ben Sheets who? CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC, CC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB12
07-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Well that was a great game. Really sucks there's no TV with Sheets pitching tomorrow though.

GB12
07-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Ben Sheets with an RBI double. Trying to match CC not only on the mound, but at the plate too

princefielder28
07-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Great to start the second half with two wins and tomorrow includes a great, young pitching matchup between Lincecum and Parra

princefielder28
07-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Brewers trade C Angel Salome, 1B Brad Nelson, and OF Darren Ford for 2B Ray Durham and RP Jack Taschner

Im_a_Romosexual
07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
two things:

What happens to Billy Hall?

and

Tachner is from Milwaukee. interesting.

princefielder28
07-19-2008, 09:39 PM
two things:

What happens to Billy Hall?

and

Tachner is from Milwaukee. interesting.

The trade still seems to be up in the air and if we do acquire Durham I think it would spell the end for Joe Dillon this year

Im_a_Romosexual
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
The trade still seems to be up in the air and if we do acquire Durham I think it would spell the end for Joe Dillon this year

oh yeah, forgot about Dillon.

GB12
07-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Brewers trade C Angel Salome, 1B Brad Nelson, and OF Darren Ford for 2B Ray Durham and RP Jack Taschner
That is complete BS. I don't buy if for a second. We'd be getting ripped if that's real. Salome alone is worth more than Durham and Taschner. That deal would be more of an offer to get Huston Street than those two. I think Melvin definitely has interest in those two, and I expect us to get Durham somehow, but that's not the offer.

EvilMonkey
07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
That is complete BS. I don't buy if for a second. We'd be getting ripped if that's real. Salome alone is worth more than Durham and Taschner. That deal would be more of an offer to get Huston Street than those two. I think Melvin definitely has interest in those two, and I expect us to get Durham somehow, but that's not the offer.

agree 100%, i'd be tremendously pissed if we gave that much up for an aging Ray Durham and Taschner. Ford was pulled from the lineup today so he is involved in whatever trade is gonna happen, but Salome is too good of a catching prospect to include in that deal. We'd be getting completely ripped. Something is up but I hope that it isnt that.

TitleTown088
07-20-2008, 02:09 AM
100 HR count huh?What's Feilder's calorie count?

Boston
07-20-2008, 02:26 AM
100 HR count huh?What's Feilder's calorie count?

You still believe in calories?

EvilMonkey
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
supposedly it's Durham for Ford and minor league pitcher Steve Hammond. Definately ok with that deal.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/20/it-s-just-durham.aspx

mil_brew_fan
07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
supposedly it's Durham for Ford and minor league pitcher Steve Hammond. Definately ok with that deal.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/20/it-s-just-durham.aspx

I think the price is a little high for a guy that is only be part of the team for 65 games (and then some for the playoffs). But I'd look for a platoon situation at second now. The Brewers still need to get out there and acquire bullpen help.

EvilMonkey
07-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the price is a little high for a guy that is only be part of the team for 65 games (and then some for the playoffs). But I'd look for a platoon situation at second now. The Brewers still need to get out there and acquire bullpen help.

Ford was only batting .230 in High A right now. Has 343 at bats and only has 18 extra base hits. Has 48 SB but that seems like all he has. Dont know a ton about him, but from looking at the stats he's looks like he's just a ton of speed and not much else. Doesnt seem like that great ofa prospect he is.

Hammond has an era over 7 at Nashville. Only pitched 17 innings, has struck out 20 but given up a ton of hits and runs. Really dont know much about him as a pitcher and prospect.

Overall I dont think the price was that high at all. Yeah, Durham is probably gonna just be a bench or platoon guy, but he's experienced and we know what we're getting. I'm fine giving up 2 prospects that dont appear to be really good or anything. Seems like Ford is just an ok prospect because of his speed and Hammond has a bunch of Ks, maybe he's a power pitcher with some potential, but it's not like either one was lighting the world on fire in the minors this year. Not a great deal or anything but it gives up experience and depth which we can use.

Agree with you 100% though that we have to go out and get some help in the pen.

Boston
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
How was that not an error on Hart?

princefielder28
07-20-2008, 06:34 PM
3 for 3 so far on this 7 game roadtrip to start the 2nd half....awesome!

drowe
07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
yeah, these next 4 games are gonna be nerve-wracking...but, i like the set up:
we throw our 2 scrubs out agains the Card's best. so, if we can win 1 of the next 2 games, it'd be f'ing huge.
then we throw CC and Ben up against the back end of the Cards rotation.
if we lose the first 2, it'd be a lot of pressure on CC and Ben, but not a time to panick.

really, 2-2 would be a win in this series since it's at St. Louis.

but, i'm scared shitless of the possibility of the Brewers going cold and getting swept. that would be a nightmare.

princefielder28
07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
In the CC Sabathia deal there are four possible players that the Indians can choose from to complete the deal and two of those names are Taylor Green and Michael Brantley

TitleTown088
07-21-2008, 11:17 AM
You still believe in calories?

I'm mind-boggled how a vegitarian can sport such immense man boobs. He needs a bro from Frank K and Cosmo.

GB12
07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah, these next 4 games are gonna be nerve-wracking...but, i like the set up:
we throw our 2 scrubs out agains the Card's best. so, if we can win 1 of the next 2 games, it'd be f'ing huge.
then we throw CC and Ben up against the back end of the Cards rotation.
if we lose the first 2, it'd be a lot of pressure on CC and Ben, but not a time to panick.

really, 2-2 would be a win in this series since it's at St. Louis.

but, i'm scared shitless of the possibility of the Brewers going cold and getting swept. that would be a nightmare.

I'd be shocked if we got swept in a series that both Sheets and Sabathia are pitching in.

PackerLegend
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow that was sad... nice going Mike Cameron. ****

princefielder28
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow that was sad... nice going Mike Cameron. ****

Cameron's defense is a bit overrated

GB12
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Rickie crushed that one into Big Mac land.

GB12
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Mota: scoreless inning, Gagne: 3 up 3 down, Riske: scoreless inning, Torres: blown save.

Go figure

princefielder28
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
may i ask why this is the title of the thread?

yodabear
07-21-2008, 10:25 PM

It is actually true, I am not so sure why he pulled McClung after only 5. I know u have CC and Ben coming up, but 4 innings is quite a bit from a bulpen especially when u go a week or so without a day off. Letting Torres hit in the tenth was moronic, why have ur closer go 2 in game 1 of a 4 game series. Although I must say it was a great move to get Durham, if anything it lit a fire under Weeks' ass.

GB12
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Did you watch tonight's game? So many poor decissions by him. He's still an awful manager even if we are winning.

princefielder28
07-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Did you watch tonight's game? So many poor decissions by him. He's still an awful manager even if we are winning.

Yes, Iwatched the entire game, and I really had no problem with any decision he made....the Torres decision could be considered the most questionable, but it turned out just fine and he was going to need a day of rest tomorrow regardless

drowe
07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
reasons why this was a huge win.
1-any win when Seth McClung starts is huge. he's a serviceable #5 starter...but, i doubt the Brewers were counting on this game as a win.
2-we pieced it together using bullpen scrubs like Mota and Gagne. Villenueva, Stetter and Shouse should be good to go tomorrow..as well as Gagne and Riske.
3-We got a win with little or no production from Braun, Fielder and Hart. Bill Hall, Rickie Weeks and JJ Hardy provided all the offense.
4-4-0 to start the road trip.
5-Cubs lost.

and, really, i was ok with the decisions Yost made. using anybody besides Torres in the 10th would've been questionable. we really don't need to stretch our bullpen thin on the first game of a 4-game series. and, it worked out perfectly. and homey almost had a hit there.
pulling McClung after 5 was allright too. he's not a guy you count on to eat innings, so, when a chance to score runs showed up, i was really ok seeing a pinch hitter.

now, Suppan goes, and we'll see if he really was being bothered by an injury of if it was just a ploy to sit him down and clear roster space. having Suppan in form for the second half would be monsterous.
but, this game is a bonus. we all thought the wins would HAVE to come from Sheets and CC in games 3 and 4. now, we got a win under our belt from Ginger. winning tonight would obviously be huge, but, it's a great situation in that there is little pressure to win tonight.

drowe
07-22-2008, 08:35 AM
also, Ned Yost rules.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
After the recent trades I am going to rate the top remaining prospects....

1. SS Alcides Escobar
2. 3B Mat Gamel
3. RHP Jeremy Jeffress
4. C Angel Salome
5. 3B Taylor Green*
6. C Brett Lawrie
7. OF Michael Brantley*
8. LHP Zach Braddock
9. OF Cole Gillespie
10. OF Caleb Gindl
11. RHP Alexandre Periard
12. C Jonathan Lucroy
13. OF Lorenzo Cain
14. SS Brent Brewer
15. LHP Evan Frederickson
16. RHP Evan Anundsen
17. 3B Steffan Wilson
18. RHP Luis Pena
19. IF Brad Nelson

More to come.....

*could be traded to Cleveland to complete Sabathia deal

drowe
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
After the recent trades I am going to rate the top remaining prospects....

1. SS Alcides Escobar
2. 3B Mat Gamel
3. RHP Jeremy Jeffress
4. C Angel Salome
5. 3B Taylor Green*
6. C Brett Lawrie
7. OF Michael Brantley*
8. LHP Zach Braddock
9. OF Cole Gillespie
10. OF Caleb Gindl
11. OF Lorenzo Cain
12. C Jonathan Lucroy

More to come.....

*could be traded to Cleveland to complete Sabathia deal

well, i take issue with Gamel NOT being #1. for me, he's 1, and if there were a ranking higher than #1, he'd get that.

otherwise, can't argue too much. not a big caleb gindl fan. i'd drop him out and replace him with the recently promoted to huntsville starting pitcher, Alex Periard. he seems to be a strong riser.

and, i really like Brantley and Green. i wish we'd just lose one already, because this situation keeps me from obsessing about either of 'em.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
well, i take issue with Gamel NOT being #1. for me, he's 1, and if there were a ranking higher than #1, he'd get that.

otherwise, can't argue too much. not a big caleb gindl fan. i'd drop him out and replace him with the recently promoted to huntsville starting pitcher, Alex Periard. he seems to be a strong riser.

and, i really like Brantley and Green. i wish we'd just lose one already, because this situation keeps me from obsessing about either of 'em.

I put Escobar ahead of Gamel because of his ability to play defense and still bring it to the plate offensively

drowe
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I put Escobar ahead of Gamel because of his ability to play defense and still bring it to the plate offensively

yeah, i just wonder how big of an advantage his fielding abilities at shortstop will be...who knows where he'll play when he gets to milwaukee. JJ could be extended. or do you think he's as good as gone when his contract expires?
either way, another reason i'd have Gamel at #1. he plays a position of need.

also, has any roster move been made yet to clear a spot for Suppan? i'm thinking McLung should go down since the road trip is over as far as he's concerned and he won't pitch at home at all.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
yeah, i just wonder how big of an advantage his fielding abilities at shortstop will be...who knows where he'll play when he gets to milwaukee. JJ could be extended. or do you think he's as good as gone when his contract expires?
either way, another reason i'd have Gamel at #1. he plays a position of need.

also, has any roster move been made yet to clear a spot for Suppan? i'm thinking McLung should go down since the road trip is over as far as he's concerned and he won't pitch at home at all.

Depending on what the Brewers think of Weeks long term Escobar or Hardy could be moved to 2B and if they like Weeks, and think he's he for the long haul, I think Hardy could be moved to 3B.

I would send down/release Mota because even if McClung isn't starting he can be utilized out of the pen and be effective

drowe
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Depending on what the Brewers think of Weeks long term Escobar or Hardy could be moved to 2B and if they like Weeks, and think he's he for the long haul, I think Hardy could be moved to 3B.

I would send down/release Mota because even if McClung isn't starting he can be utilized out of the pen and be effective

1-then, i'd assume you think Gamel could transition to the outfield in Milwaukee?

2-but, if Yost is serious about giving Bush all the home starts, we won't use McGinger for 11 days. he's a young arm...why not send him down and use him sparingly. keep him fresh and keep all of our options in the bullpen. we have Villenueva and Stetter for long relief. maybe Mota can turn it around.

Geo
07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm wondering if the time between starts will affect Bush and McClung, it certainly is an interesting situation to keep an eye on.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
1-then, i'd assume you think Gamel could transition to the outfield in Milwaukee?

2-but, if Yost is serious about giving Bush all the home starts, we won't use McGinger for 11 days. he's a young arm...why not send him down and use him sparingly. keep him fresh and keep all of our options in the bullpen. we have Villenueva and Stetter for long relief. maybe Mota can turn it around.

1. Braun has the arm to play right and we know Hart can play CF so testing Gamel in left could be a definite possibility

2. Mcclung doesn't have any options left and management really likes him so they're not going to take a chance on him clearing waivers

drowe
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
1. Braun has the arm to play right and we know Hart can play CF so testing Gamel in left could be a definite possibility

2. Mcclung doesn't have any options left and management really likes him so they're not going to take a chance on him clearing waivers

2-ah, didn't realize he was out of options..well, forget that idea then.

GB12
07-22-2008, 02:50 PM

If/when Escobar makes it to Milwaukee he will play shortstop. If we move Weeks he could get called up earlier and play second, but his long term position is SS. Playing him anywhere else but short would be a waste of his talent.

If JJ Hardy moves it'd be to third like you said, not second. That'd be great for us, but I doubt he'd agree to move. He'd lose millions of dollars over his career if he moves from short to third.

I'd definitely DFA Mota, but I think what will actually happen is Stetter will be sent back down. McClung's not going anywhere.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Tonight's lineup

2B Rickie Weeks
SS JJ Hardy
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Gabe Kapler
3B Bill Hall
CF Mike Cameron
C Jason Kendall
P Jeff Suppan

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Stetter was sent down and I would assume because of his options in comparison to the rest of the pen. I think the Crew made a mistake here and should've removed Mota. Looking at Mota's entire body of work this year this is nothing that strikes me as positive or something that would trump Stetter. The pen is now down to one lefty again.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I can speak for every Mets fan when I saw, thank you for taking Mota.

EvilMonkey
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
nothing major but we signed Jay Gibbons to a minor league deal.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/22/brewers-sign-jay-gibbons-to-minor-league-deal.aspx

if he plays well i guess it'd be nice to have him for september call-ups as another left-handed bat available. No big risk so whatever, hope it works out, if not no big deal.

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Suppan struggled early but pitched very well given the situation

princefielder28
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Huge a$$ win....Bill Hall coming through for the 2nd straigh night and now CC and Big Ben go the last two

PackerLegend
07-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Huge a$$ win....Bill Hall coming through for the 2nd straigh night and now CC and Big Ben go the last two

Hell ya, this is awesome and our best 2 pitchers are coming up. 6 game win streak, and now a game ahead of the Cards and 1.5 behind the Cubs who hopefully will lose again there down 1-3 last check in the 5th. Go Arizona!!! GO CC AND BEN Sweep the Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pacific
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Great win tonight. As the new thread title points out, its great to see Bill Hall majorly turn things around.

drowe
07-23-2008, 07:51 AM
these last 2 games have been a blast to watch. last night, i never thought they'd win. all day, i thought of the game as a bonus game because they already won with McGinger. so, they were down 3-0, and i thought..ah well. bound to happen. then it was 3-1...then 3-2, then 3-3...and i still never thought they'd win. then Hall jacked one out for the lead, and i was excited, but fully expecting the Cards to be the Cards and come back in the 9th. even with 2 outs in the 9th, i was just waiting for it. so, when the 3rd out was made, the win was an absolute shock to me.

i've been a Brewer fan for 20 years...so, i can't help but be a little pessimistic and worry that CC and Ben are gonna lay eggs. but, even then, we split with St. Louis on the road and have a frickin' 5-2 road trip to start the second half.

also, it was awesome to see LaRussa get all pissy after the game. we're breaking them.

princefielder28
07-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Hopefully we can get CC some insurance runs

edit : ahh perfect

GB12
07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Hopefully we can get CC some insurance runs
Ryan Braun hopes so too.

Sportsfan486
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow. What a game by C.C.

So. I think we need to start a poll. "Which Brewers pitcher will win the NL Cy Young?"

PackerLegend
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Cc>>>>>>>>>>sheets, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc, Cc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

princefielder28
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Wow. What a game by C.C.

So. I think we need to start a poll. "Which Brewers pitcher will win the NL Cy Young?"

We don't need to be arrogant or anything...we are playing good baseball and leave it at that

Boston
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Ben Sheets needs to be dominant tomorrow. He hasn't been himself since that complete game against the Braves.

Pacific
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Ben Sheets needs to be dominant tomorrow. He hasn't been himself since that complete game against the Braves.

Well, he was dominant the last time he pitched (all-star game). Hopefully he comes out firing like he did a week and a half ago.

GB12
07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, he was dominant the last time he pitched (all-star game). Hopefully he comes out firing like he did a week and a half ago.
Last time he pitched was Saturday when he gave up just 2 ERs in 5 innings on only 3 days rest.

Boston
07-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Last time he pitched was Saturday when he gave up just 2 ERs in 5 innings on only 3 days rest.

And, you know, 9 hits in 5 innings, 2 unearned runs, alongside only three strikeouts, all against the Giants... That's not a Ben Sheets stat line.

GB12
07-23-2008, 10:36 PM
And, you know, 9 hits in 5 innings, 2 unearned runs, alongside only three strikeouts, against the Giants... That's not a Ben Sheets stat line.
He was pitching on 3 days rest. We probably should have really let Parra pitch on Saturday and then let Ben go on a full rest Sunday, but this way he's scheduled against the Cardinals and Cubs. Why are you bringing up unearned runs? They're unearned meaning not his fault. 5 innings with 2 ERs on just 3 days rest is a fine start.

PackerLegend
07-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Still bottom line CC>>>>>>>>>>SHEETS... CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC !!! CC is a moster, he should pitch every singl game left!!!

Boston
07-23-2008, 10:56 PM
He was pitching on 3 days rest. We probably should have really let Parra pitch on Saturday and then let Ben go on a full rest Sunday, but this way he's scheduled against the Cardinals and Cubs. Why are you bringing up unearned runs? They're unearned meaning not his fault. 5 innings with 2 ERs on just 3 days rest is a fine start.

The Giants are fourth in MLB with the fewest runs scored. Yet Sheets still allowed an average of two base runners every inning. You don't think a good team would have capitalized on that at all? If that's how Sheets pitches on only three days rest, than I hope Bush or McClung is ready to potentially get a start in a playoff game, assuming we get there, because that's pretty bad. And yes, I'm aware of the meaning of unearned runs, but there's a reason Sheets only had one all year going into that start. I'm not saying that it was a 'horrible' outing by Sheets, or that is last few have been either, but he can pitch a lot better than that.

GB12
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
The Giants are fourth in MLB with the fewest runs scored. Yet Sheets still allowed an average of two base runners every inning. You don't think a good team would have capitalized on that at all? If that's how Sheets pitches on only three days rest, than I hope Bush or McClung is ready to potentially get a start in a playoff game, assuming we get there, because that's pretty bad. And yes, I'm aware of the meaning of unearned runs, but there's a reason Sheets only had one all year going into that start. I'm not saying that it was a 'horrible' outing by Sheets, or that is last few have been either, but he can pitch a lot better than that.
You're making way too big of a deal about it.

GB12
07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Also what the heck are you talking about with the playoffs

Game 1: CC Sabathia
Game 2: Ben Sheets
offday
Game 3: Manny Parra
Game 4: Jeff Suppan
off day
Game 5: CC Sabathia
off day
Game 6: Ben Sheets
Game 7: Manny Parra/Jeff Suppan

Boston
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
You're making way too big of a deal about it.

Not really. In his last 4 starts Sheets has an ERA of 4.18, and a WHIP of 1.67. And, like I said, it'd be nice if he could come out tomorrow and pitch like he should, or, if we're lucky, out pitch Sabathia. :)

Also what the heck are you talking about with the playoffs

Game 1: CC Sabathia
Game 2: Ben Sheets
offday
Game 3: Manny Parra
Game 4: Jeff Suppan
off day
Game 5: CC Sabathia
off day
Game 6: Ben Sheets
Game 7: Manny Parra/Jeff Suppan

Yeah, that was one of those quick 'last second edits' that wasn't thought out...

GB12
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
That's an excuseable mistake as we haven't been to the postseason in forever.

Seeing that postseason rotation typed out looks very good though.

Geo
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
As a big fan of both parties, especially Sabathia who is tied for my fave pitcher in baseball with Doc Halladay, I wish the Brewers could sign CC long-term. That would be awesome.

GB12
07-23-2008, 11:39 PM
As a big fan of both parties, especially Sabathia who is tied for my fave pitcher in baseball with Doc Halladay, I wish the Brewers could sign CC long-term. That would be awesome.
I'm still holding out some hope for that though I know the chances are very slim. It would actually be possible to sign him for around 5 years $100 million and keep our payroll right around where it is right now, but that's a huge commitment for the smallest market in baseball.

VoteLynnSwan
07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
how many pitches did CC throw? I'd be worried about overextending him... is that 3 CGs in a row? or at least 8 innings?

GB12
07-24-2008, 01:00 AM
how many pitches did CC throw? I'd be worried about overextending him... is that 3 CGs in a row? or at least 8 innings?
It was 3 complete games in a row. He only threw 106 pitches which is fine for him. He didn't seem to be laboring and he said in a post game interview that he wasn't even tired yet. If he had been going 120+ pitches in his starts I'd be worried, but fine with what he's been throwing.

VoteLynnSwan
07-24-2008, 01:34 AM
It was 3 complete games in a row. He only threw 106 pitches which is fine for him. He didn't seem to be laboring and he said in a post game interview that he wasn't even tired yet. If he had been going 120+ pitches in his starts I'd be worried, but fine with what he's been throwing.

yea 106 isn't a big deal at all for a guy like him.

drowe
07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Man, this has been a fun week to watch Brewers baseball.
some stats that i found absolutely staggering.

-CC Sabathia has had 3 complete games since we got him 3 weeks ago. Ben Sheets has 3 complete games all year and he leads the NL. so, yeah, CC is now tied for the NL lead for complete games.
-at the very worst, we're looking at a 6-1 road trip. that'd be an amazing home stand.
-i'd also be interested to know what Rickie Weeks's stats are since Ray Durham came to town. i swear, we just brought that guy in to light a fire under Rickie's ass.

allright, that's all for now. i need to talk to Yoda and see if he has a broom i can borrow. :)

princefielder28
07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
yea 106 isn't a big deal at all for a guy like him.

thank god, someone realistic about pitch counts...some people make it seem that these 3 CG we have just milked CC for all he's worth and that is just not the case

princefielder28
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
The Brewers, along with the Cardinals, are actively pursuing Orioles' reliever George Sherrill, according to the Baltimore Sun.

Considering he is 31 and his stats haven't been eye popping, I imagine it would take a mid level prospect to acquire him. Maybe someone like Lorenzo Cain or Jonathan Lucroy would get the job done.

RoyHall#1
07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I miss CC. :(

GB12
07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Ryan Braun will be on Jim Rome in a couple minutes.

GB12
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
All three runs have come with 2 outs

Boston
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
God damnit Corey, what are you doing? Put in Kapler, or somebody who doesn't ground into a double play every time he has RISP. What a joke.

EvilMonkey
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Braun is simply a god

Boston
07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Ryan Braun is my ******* hero!

And, on a side note, we now have two .300 hitters.

EvilMonkey
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Huge win, HUGE sweep, just feeling awesome right now

PackerLegend
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
WHERES ARE BROOMS MOTHER****ER! SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RYAN BRAUN!! RYAN BRAUN!! RYAN BRAUN!!

20 Games in a row with a homer, record.
Swept the Cards in St. Louis, in a 4 game series... for 1st time ever!

SORRY YODA.. RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN RYAN BRAUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/league_leaders.jsp?c_id=mlb&section1=2&statSet1=1&statType=1&sortByStat=AVG&timeFrame=2&timeSubFrame=14&baseballScope=mlb&isCompare=true&box1=XXXX429666mil6&box2=XXXX460075milO&box3=XXXX425902mil3&checkBoxTotal=0&playerLocator=Weeks

That's been the top of the Brewers order so far after the All-Star break. Just unbelievable.

princefielder28
07-24-2008, 10:33 PM
nice to have a perfect road trip...time to go home and defend our turf

Boston
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Ha.... Ryan Franklin was prematurely given the Cardinals 'player of the game' award by the announcers, while predicting a double play to end the inning, and on the very next pitch Braun hits a go ahead two run home run to left center. Priceless.

umphrey
07-24-2008, 11:11 PM
just 4 more wins until free hamburgers

Geo
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I saw the video of Braun's game-winning homer on mlb.com. He cruches it and then walks it off afterwards because that's his game, so sweet.

Ha.... Ryan Franklin was prematurely given the Cardinals 'player of the game' award by the announcers, while predicting a double play to end the inning, and on the very next pitch Braun hits a go ahead two run home run to left center. Priceless.
Even sweeter, lol.

princefielder28
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Astros @ Brewers Pitching Matchups

FRI :: Wandy Rodriguez (5-3) : Manny Parra (9-2)
SAT :: Brandon Backe (6-10) : Dave Bush (5-8)
SUN :: Randy Wolf (6-10) : Jeff Suppan (5-6)

drowe
07-25-2008, 07:59 AM
so, i just had this strange dream that the Brewers had 7-0 road trip. it was wonderful.

seriously thought, who would've thought? it's been such a fun week. i never thought i'd be sad to see a road trip end, but i kinda am.

Boston
07-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Very good Riske. Pitch the ball up when the other team has an oppurtunity for a sac fly, and you have an oppurtunity for a DP. No wonder you've been so good this year...

Edit: God you suck.

Boston
07-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm not gettin' that feeling tonight. This looks like it'll be our first loss in...awhile. :(

GB12
07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Why was Kendall anywhere near a bat in that situation? You have to pinch hit there.

princefielder28
07-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I am glad I had to work tonight...game looked ugly in the box score

PackerLegend
07-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Atleast the Cubs lost so still 1 back. We could have tied it up but your gonna lose sometime... Its been awhile.

princefielder28
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Taking a look at the Brewers/Cubs pitching probables

MON :: CC Sabathia vs Ted Lilly
TUES :: Ben Sheets vs Carlos Zambrano
WED :: Manny Parra vs Ryan Dempster
THURS :: Dave Bush vs Rich Harden

drowe
07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
sheets vs zambrano.
boner inspiring.

GB12
07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Tied for first place!

princefielder28
07-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Ryan Braun's campaign for MVP is starting to gain momentum

princefielder28
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Yovani Gallardo has begun throwing on flat ground....aims to return in September

EvilMonkey
07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Yovani Gallardo has begun throwing on flat ground....aims to return in September

wow, if he can come back and be near full-strength, huge boost for us to get in the playoffs and would be a nice boost in it.

Having a 7-game series rotation of Sheets, CC, and Yo each potentially going twice would be awesome to see.

drowe
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
well, i kinda expected we'd lay an egg against houston. either looking back at st. louis or looking ahead to the cubs. i doubt 100% of the thought was on the astros. but, the cubs laid the same egg against the marlins.

i'm so freaking stressed about the next 4 days. i think it's gonna drive me to drink.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I love me some Ryan Braun.

umphrey
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I think I'm gonna try to make it to at least 1 game this series. I can't wait for tonight to see if Sabbathia can keep the complete game streak alive along with the complete dominance that's come with it.

GB12
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I think I'm gonna try to make it to at least 1 game this series. I can't wait for tonight to see if Sabbathia can keep the complete game streak alive along with the complete dominance that's come with it.
I hope you already have tickets because I've heard that $26 outfield tickets have been going for $150+

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
This team's hitting with RISP has been awful lately

Boston
07-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I absolutely hate listening to Brian Anderson and "The Rock" every game.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I absolutely hate listening to Brian Anderson and "The Rock" every game.

Darron Sutton was the best

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh come on, Rock is the man. Brian Anderson isn't that bad either. Besides, if you really can't stand it, just mute it and turn on the radio to listen to Uecker.

Edit:^This is true...Sutton was great.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Great series of defensive plays to end the inning

GB12
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Great series of defensive plays to end the inning
JJ Hardy's play earlier was amazing.

Very good defense for the Brewers this game. Well, except for Corey Hart.

Boston
07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
My god how quickly this game just changed.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
My god how quickly this game just changed.

Miller Park is crazy!

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:00 PM
We need to sign JJ long term right away. I don't care if we have Escobar in the minor leagues anymore, Hardy is the real deal. He's already a top 5 shortstop in the majors. Heck, maybe if we give him the money he'd be more open to a move to third and we can have both Hardy and Escobar. If he isn't then I say keep him at short and either trade Escobar off for some pitching or move him to second if Weeks doesn't work out. JJ's too valuable to let walk, he's moved up to the top player I want us to extend now that Braun's done. Yes that means ahead of Hart, Fielder, whoever.

Boston
07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Is Brian Anderson getting paid for every time he mentions I-94 or the I-94 rivalry? Give it a rest already.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
We need to sign JJ long term right away. I don't care if we have Escobar in the minor leagues anymore, Hardy is the real deal. He's already a top 5 shortstop in the majors. Heck, maybe if we give him the money he'd be more open to a move to third and we can have both Hardy and Escobar. If he isn't then I say keep him at short and either trade Escobar off for some pitching or move him to second if Weeks doesn't work out. JJ's too valuable to let walk, he's moved up to the top player I want us to extend now that Braun's done. Yes that means ahead of Hart, Fielder, whoever.

I agree....I still think we'll get Hart and Fielder signed as well...a nucelus of Braun, Hardy, Fielder, and Hart is awesome

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree....I still think we'll get Hart and Fielder signed as well...a nucelus of Braun, Hardy, Fielder, and Hart is awesome
I really doubt we sign Fielder. I'd put the odds at about 15% that we do. We'll keep him until he gets closer to free agency and then ship him out for pitching.

Boston
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I really hope we have somebody up in the bullpen right now. Don't **** this up again Ned.

And, if you want to hear something amazing, go to Brewers gameday, and listen to the crowd's reaction to Hardy's home run, and then listen to Braun's. Just unreal.

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I love Rock absolutely shutting down Anderson. "You do not walk Reed Johnson to get to Derrick Lee."

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh my god Rickie.

Boston
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
What the hell was that Rickie. There is no way you can do that in a game that's this close.

Geo
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
That's a major bummer, come on Weeks.

PackerLegend
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
**** **** you stupid ****

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm really questioning the purchase of a Weeks jersey I made two years ago.

Boston
07-28-2008, 09:35 PM
God it's good to see that home run stroke again!!

the_legend_killer
07-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Russell the F****** Muscle!

D-Unit
07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Do you guys have any top 3B prospects in the minors? I used to think your infield was the best young infield in baseball.... but Braun's move to the OF and Rickie Weeks slow development are starting to change my mind.

badgerbacker
Russell the Muscle!

On another note, who was the pansy in the Brewer bullpen who jumped up on the bench like a girl who saw a mouse to avoid getting hit by the ball?

GB12
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/Pacific_1/Signatures/RussellBranyansig.jpg

Wooo!

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Do you guys have any top 3B prospects in the minors? I used to think your infield was the best young infield in baseball.... but Braun's move to the OF and Rickie Weeks slow development are starting to change my mind.
Our top prospect Mat Gamel is currently playing 3rd. He's worse defensively than Braun was though, so we'll see if he stays there.

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, our top prospect Mat Gamel is a 3B. I have serious doubts of him staying there in the majors, but as of now he's a 3B.

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
My guess is he moves to 1st if we are unable to resign Prince.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't want to start a debate but Gamel is #2, Escobar is #1

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't want to start a debate but Gamel is #2, Escobar is #1Well, he's definitely one of our top prospects.

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't want to start a debate but Gamel is #2, Escobar is #1
I have no problem if someone likes Escobar more. I'm a huge Escobar fan myself, but you can't say he's definitely the number 1. Right now I have to go with Gamel there.

D-Unit
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
What about your catching prospects? Jason Kendall is weak sauce.

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Right now, Angel Salome is probably our top catching prospect. He seems to have everything physically, but definitely isn't ready for the majors yet with his maturity/calling of a game. Also, our first draft pick of this year was a catcher.

Side note, Jason Kendell is the man. Obviously won't be here for too long, but he is doing an awesome job defensively.

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
We have 3 very good catching prospects in Angel Salome, Brett Lawrie, and Jonathan Lucroy. All three have a chance to make it to the majors and Salome could be close if his defense improves a bit (common theme in our farm system).

Jason Kendall hasn't been much with the bat, but he's been huge behind the plate. He's solid even without hitting because of his defense.

Boston
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Great game Rickie. You really came through for us there.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Really a tough loss to take given Rickie Weeks' less than stellar defense but fortunately we send Sheets to the mound tomorrow. (but we face Z)

Boston
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Can anybody other than Hardy and Braun please start swinging the bat on a consisitent basis? Weeks need to sit for awhile, or at least be bumped down in the lineup. He isn't getting it done, plain and simple.

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I've been saying for a while that I'd like to see Weeks in a different spot in the order. I really think he needs to be more of a run producer than a 'get on base' guy. I don't really know who leads off for us then...Hart?

GB12
07-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I've been saying for a while that I'd like to see Weeks in a different spot in the order. I really think he needs to be more of a run producer than a 'get on base' guy. I don't really know who leads off for us then...Hart?
Nope, you can't move Hart out of the 5 spot. Who's going to hit there, Bill Hall? No thanks. If Weeks is taken out of the lead off spot it means he's taken out of the lineup completely because Durham is really the only other leadoff possibility on the team.

PackerLegend
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I sure hope im wrong when I think the Brewers will be the Brewers and stink up a very important series.

princefielder28
07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
After Rickie's brilliant performance last night this is what I'd like to see the lineup be tonight.....

2B Ray Durham
SS JJ Hardy
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Corey Hart
3B Russell Branyan
CF Gabe Kapler
C Jason Kendall
P Ben Sheets

EvilMonkey
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
After Rickie's brilliant performance last night this is what I'd like to see the lineup be tonight.....

2B Ray Durham
SS JJ Hardy
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Corey Hart
3B Russell Branyan
CF Gabe Kapler
C Jason Kendall
P Ben Sheets

well, Cameron instead of Kapler but you got the rest of it right

princefielder28
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
JJ better be receiving his 1st Gold Golve at the end of this year

Boston
07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
We have a black hole in our lineup from the 6-9 hitters. It's kind of sad to watch...