PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I would like to see Derek Lowe as a Brewer.

Might as well re-sign Sheets at that rate.

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I think pitchers like Randy Wolf and Jon Garland will get strong looks from Melvin.

umphrey
09-30-2008, 04:53 PM
I believe our offseason will mean everything in next year's success. We lose a lot of mediocre players and Sabbathia who are making a lot of money and it all depends on who we replace them with.

Is it a possibility to play Hardy at 3B and Escobar at SS? Is Gamel a possibility? Will Jeffress pitch for us?

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I believe our offseason will mean everything in next year's success. We lose a lot of mediocre players and Sabbathia who are making a lot of money and it all depends on who we replace them with.

Is it a possibility to play Hardy at 3B and Escobar at SS? Is Gamel a possibility? Will Jeffress pitch for us?

I think Hardy at 3rd and Escobar at SS is a real possibility

Gamel remains a question and I think their best option if trying to throw him in the outfield in left and throwing Braun in right with Hart in center. If the organization thinks they fix Gamel's problems at third then maybe Escobar is moved to 2nd for the time being.

Jeffress will start the year in AA and possibly get a chance in AAA and be a September call-up at the end of next year. Expect to see him in 2010.

EvilMonkey
09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I think Hardy at 3rd and Escobar at SS is a real possibility

Gamel remains a question and I think their best option if trying to throw him in the outfield in left and throwing Braun in right with Hart in center. If the organization thinks they fix Gamel's problems at third then maybe Escobar is moved to 2nd for the time being.

Jeffress will start the year in AA and possibly get a chance in AAA and be a September call-up at the end of next year. Expect to see him in 2010.

Escobar should never play 2nd. JJ is a great defensive shortstop but Alcides has a lot more range and is just as good. I'd rather see JJ at 2nd than Escobar. I would love to see Gamel put in the OF like you said though and have JJ at 3rd. Just have to find a decent 2B and i really like that lineup.

That being said, I wouldnt doubt we dont see Escobar or Gamel until the end of May or whenever guys can get called up and not have that year or service count against arbitration or whatever. I'd love for it to be the other way, but i wouldnt be shocked to see the same infield as this year, maybe even with something ridiculous like Counsell at 2nd. I'm really scared we're gonna do something stupid like that and suck and then call those guys up in desperation at the start of June.

GB12
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey. We're in the playoffs. Save that taalk for after the season.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey. We're in the playoffs. Save that taalk for after the season.

Looking at your time line, you have to cherish your moments. ;)

the_legend_killer
09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frtGVPNVegY&feature=related

I could listen to Bob's call all day. Glad we got to the playoffs at least once more before he's done. Hopefully he gets to call quite a few playoff games :)

drowe
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
100 minutes until game time!

wish i wasn't stuck at work. well, i have the game set up to record. my plan is to put the headphones on and cut myself off from the world for the last 2 hours of my work day, but i doubt i'll be able to resist checking the score.

drowe
10-01-2008, 01:34 PM
lineups posted.

1-Cameron
2-Hall
3-Braun
4-Fielder
5-Hardy
6-Hart
7-Weeks
8-Kendall
9-Gallardo

i'm drowe and i approve this lineup.

1-rollins
2-werth
3-utley
4-howard
5-burrell
6-victorino
7-feliz
8-ruiz
9-hamels

f these guys.

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I am so pumped....Yo is gonna do something special today

EvilMonkey
10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Brian Anderson, Joe Simpson, and John Smoltz calling the game. Always liked Anderson as our announcer, glad he'll be calling the series. I'll still probably end up with it muted and listen to the Uek on the radio, but still good for Anderson, maybe i'll hear some nice biased announcing.

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Go to Hell Rickie Weeks!

drowe
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Go to Hell Rickie Weeks!

well...he's in good company as far as striking out.

second time through the order will be better.

i know this because it couldn't get any worse. :)

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
again, Mike Cameron's defense is OVERRATED!

drowe
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I am so pumped....Yo is gonna do something special today

walked in a run. if you meant special in the 'tarded kinda way, you were right on.

EvilMonkey
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
alright, weeks needs to never play in a Brewer uniform ever again. Please sub in Durham....

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
walked in a run. if you meant special in the 'tarded kinda way, you were right on.

rickie weeks and mike cameron need to make those plays though so it's not entirely his fault

drowe
10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
yeah, mexi-sheets still has a 0.00 ERA. not bad. still shouldn't have walked that clown though.

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
If Cameron is batting leadoff tomorrow I will go nuts!

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I like the fight in them in the 9th but wasn't quite enough

CC tomorrow

the_legend_killer
10-01-2008, 04:49 PM
They battled back nicely, but didn't finish it. Philly threw their hoss out in Game 1 and he responded, we got CC in Game 2 so hopefully he can too.......and we can hit earlier. Counsell needs to bat leadoff tomorrow.

ImBrotherCain
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
I was rooting for you guys. For 2 reasons mainly. 1st I like alot of you guys being a packer fan myself and 2nd i love Braun.

On another note, did anyone think Granderson was really knowledgeable. I mean i know hes a player and all but compared to alot if the football players that become sports casters he sounded well good lol

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 05:40 PM
What's it going to take to pry Rickie from the Brewers?

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Chris Perez

drowe
10-01-2008, 05:41 PM

a bag of baseballs and a pencil with a new eraser

drowe
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
very nice that they had that mini rally in the 9th. much confidence for the next game.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Chris Perez

Pft. He's letting me down. His lack of control and complete out-of-shapeness is disheartening.

Boston
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Tip of the Hat:

Bullpen: That horrible bullpen made it look easy against that big Phillies lineup.

Ryan Braun = Clutch

Wag of the Finger:

Prince Fielder: You can't strike out on that pitch in that situation and expect to go far in the playoffs.

Corey Hart: Fail.

Bill Hall batting second...really?

princefielder28
10-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Craig Counsell
Ray Durham
Ryan Braun
Prince Fielder
JJ Hardy
Corey Hart
Mike Cameron
Jason Kendall
CC Sabathia

better be the lineup tomorrow or I will be very unhappy

the_legend_killer
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Craig Counsell
Ray Durham
Ryan Braun
Prince Fielder
JJ Hardy
Corey Hart
Mike Cameron
Jason Kendall
CC Sabathia

QFT. We need someone at the top of the order that'll work the count and.....get on base. This, is Craig Counsell time.

the_legend_killer
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM

You must take Bill Hall with.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
You must take Bill Hall with.

Rickie A. for Rickie W, straight up.

the_legend_killer
10-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Rickie A. for Rickie W, straight up.

Ankiel? If so, done. Hooray for pretend!

GB12
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Craig Counsell
Ray Durham
Ryan Braun
Prince Fielder
JJ Hardy
Corey Hart
Mike Cameron
Jason Kendall
CC Sabathia

Well you're going to be wrong

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Ankiel? If so, done. Hooray for pretend!

We don't want to pay Ankiel what he is going to get.

EvilMonkey
10-02-2008, 01:14 AM
We don't want to pay Ankiel what he is going to get.

we dont want to pay Weeks anything

drowe
10-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Craig Counsell
Ray Durham
Ryan Braun
Prince Fielder
JJ Hardy
Corey Hart
Mike Cameron
Jason Kendall
CC Sabathia

unless dale sveum dies, cameron is gonna hit leadoff.

drowe
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM
the line up i would like to see tonight

1-Counsell-SS
2-Durham-2B
3-Braun-LF
4-Fielder-1B
5-Hart-RF
6-Cameron-CF
7-Hall-3B
8-Kendall-C
9-Sabathia-P

Hardy is in a bad slump and is 0 for his career against Myers. get the veterans in there.

drowe
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
cameron
durham
braun
fielder
hardy
hart counsell
kendall
sabathia

close enough.

princefielder28
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Mike Cameron strikes out again! OMG!

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike Cameron strikes out again! OMG!

HAHA, Mike used to go to my dad's bar in Florida during spring training. They called him skinny Mike because he was skinny for a big leaguer, he was a young dude then.

princefielder28
10-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Mike Cameron and Corey Hart are the black holes of this lineup

drowe
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
yeah, that was clutch by corey hart there. at least make him throw a few before you do the inevitable and kill a rally with a dp.

GB12
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Did anyone not expect Hart to hit into a double play?

PackerLegend
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
well **** me... glad we made the postseason to likely get it handed to us 3 games and out.

princefielder28
10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
This is pathetic!

the_legend_killer
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I do not want Mike Cameron back next season. I don't care if it means a Kapler/Gwynn platoon, but I'm tired of seeing this "Great defense" and horrible at bats.

princefielder28
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
timely hitting, timely hitting, timely hitting :(

Boston
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
That was a pretty bad strike zone all night. Also glad to see we lost because of one bad play. Thanks for walking the pitcher CC. Don't really know what the strategy was there, but it seemed to work out just fine. And, really, is Corey injured, or just bad? How do you weakly ground back to the pitcher with the bases loaded for an inning ending DP on the first pitch?

princefielder28
10-02-2008, 08:19 PM
That was a pretty badstrike zone all night. Also glad to see we lost because of one bad play. Thanks for walking the pitcher CC. Don't really know what the strategy was there, but it seemed to work out just fine.

Call out the offense, not CC

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I wanted you guys to lose and everything but I am having a slight change of heart. The way C.C. will be remembered (if you lose the series) and the piece of **** Myers are the main contributing factors to this. C.C. doesn't deserve any blame considering it was his 4th start in 12 days and I hate everything about Myers.

Boston
10-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Call out the offense, not defense

The Phillies have scored 8 runs this series, all that coming in two innings. Think there might be a reason or that? We just make so many ******* stupid moves is unreal. How do you walk the pitcher there. The fact that he didn't just pump three 95 MPH fastballs by him makes no sense. With that out, the grand slam would never have happened.

And of course yesterday the defense found a way to **** us, something we've seen numerous times throughout the year.

EvilMonkey
10-03-2008, 12:51 AM
yeah, this aint looking good.....

princefielder28
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Call out the offense, not CC

can i ask why you felt so compelled to change what I initially posted?

the_legend_killer
10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I said this a few weeks ago when it looked slim for the Crew, but **** it, I'm not giving up on 'em yet. It Ain't Over Until The Keg Is Empty!!

drowe
10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
oh for sure. win tomorrow and it's a whole new series.

allthough, really, any scenario i had envisioned where the Brewers won the series involved a win with CC pitching. that one hurt. bad.

badgerbacker
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Obviously, it's terrible to fall into a 0-2 hole, but we aren't really in that bad of shape as far as pitching goes. I think we win tomorrow with Bush pitching at home, then we've got Suppan going. Suppan is a clutch pitcher so I like our chances there as well. Then, we've got CC coming back in game 5... The pitching is set up to make the comeback, but obviously the bats are going to have to wake up.

princefielder28
10-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Game 3 lineups

Phillies
SS Jimmy Rollins
RF Jayson Werth
2B Chase Utley
1B Ryan Howard
LF Pat Burrell
CF Shane Victorino
3B Pedro Feliz
C Carlos Ruiz
LHP Jamie Moyer

Brewers
CF Mike Cameron :(
3B Bill Hall :(
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
SS J.J. Hardy
RF Corey Hart
2B Rickie Weeks
C Jason Kendall
RHP Dave Bush

princefielder28
10-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Dave Bush with a strong start

princefielder28
10-04-2008, 06:03 PM
JJ coming through with a big hit...2-0!

princefielder28
10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Tip of the cap to Dave Bush on a wonderful performance tonight

PackerLegend
10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
If we can somehow make it to game 5 I feel like we have an excellent chance with CC... Ya he faltered in game 2 but the guys a monster an obviously we wouldn't want anyone else but CC. So hopefully we can get another win tomorrow.

princefielder28
10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Well the season's over :(

Boston
10-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for earning that contract Suppan. Expect an extension soon...

drowe
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Our season lasted 1 day longer than the Cubs' season. moral victory :)

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Players that ended the year in the organization that I would like to realistically see on the roster next year

C Jason Kendall
C Mike Rivera
1B Prince Fielder
SS Alcides Escobar
SS JJ Hardy
OF Ryan Braun
OF Tony Gwynn Jr.
OF Corey Hart
OF Gabe Kapler

SP Yovani Gallardo
SP Manny Parra
SP Dave Bush
RP Mitch Stetter
RP Salomon Torres
RP Todd Coffey
RP David Riske
RP Tim Dillard
RP Carlos Villanueva
P Seth McClung

CC is the wildcard

EvilMonkey
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Players that ended the year in the organization that I would like to realistically see on the roster next year

C Jason Kendall
C Mike Rivera
1B Prince Fielder
SS Alcides Escobar
SS JJ Hardy
OF Ryan Braun
OF Tony Gwynn Jr.
OF Corey Hart
OF Gabe Kapler

SP Yovani Gallardo
SP Manny Parra
SP Dave Bush
RP Mitch Stetter
RP Salomon Torres
RP Todd Coffey
RP David Riske
RP Tim Dillard
RP Carlos Villanueva
P Seth McClung

CC is the wildcard

good list. Only guy i potentially question is Torres because I dont know what we'll have to pay him to stay. He was good but i dont think he was reliable enough that we can afford to pay him over 5 mil to be an slightly above average closer. If he'd sign for less, great but who knows what teams would be willing to give him.

Also, I wouldnt mind bringing Shouse back if possible. Would be nice to have 2 leftys in the pen, but if we only keep one which is a big possibility, I'd rather go with Stetter as well.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 04:08 PM
good list. Only guy i potentially question is Torres because I dont know what we'll have to pay him to stay. He was good but i dont think he was reliable enough that we can afford to pay him over 5 mil to be an slightly above average closer. If he'd sign for less, great but who knows what teams would be willing to give him.

Also, I wouldnt mind bringing Shouse back if possible. Would be nice to have 2 leftys in the pen, but if we only keep one which is a big possibility, I'd rather go with Stetter as well.

Torres has a 3.75 mil option for next year and I would like to have him back in the pen but not necessarily as the closer. Brian Shouse, on the other hand, really struggled in the second half and isn't the pitcher we saw earlier in Milwaukee. Stetter proved to be very effective against lefties towards the end.

EvilMonkey
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Torres has a 3.75 mil option for next year and I would like to have him back in the pen but not necessarily as the closer. Brian Shouse, on the other hand, really struggled in the second half and isn't the pitcher we saw earlier in Milwaukee. Stetter proved to be very effective against lefties towards the end.

Didn't know Torres had an option. He's a great arm in the pen for that price. Not the most dominant closer or anything, but at least we know what we're getting whether it be a closer or set-up guy.

And I almost edited my post right after posting Shouse. I've always loved the guy which is why i want him back but the more I think about it, having 2 lefties in the pen should have been most valuable against a team heavy with lefties like say, i dunno, the Phillies. He didnt pitch once in that series (dunno if he was even on the roster, never saw him) so I guess 2 leftys in the pen might not be the wisest or most valueable thing. Fine with keeping just Stetter.

the_legend_killer
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
If it's at a reasonable price, I'd like to see Gagne back........

GB12
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Mike Cameron's option will get picked up.

Tony Gwynn is not a major league player.

EvilMonkey
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM

also think his option will get picked up. Not thrilled about that. Him and bill hall in the same lineup again is just asking for Ks with RISP. I'd rather let Kapler roam around in center and see if he can hold up than have Cam back. If that's the case though, we still need to find a leadoff hitter. Dont know if Alcides is ready for that yet. Hart sucked the 2nd half, maybe as a leadoff guy like he was a good portion of last year he could get his swing back a bit.

How about a top 5 of:
1) Hart
2) Hardy
3) Braun
4) Prince
5) Kapler

Dunno if Kapler at 5 is good or not. Not sure how good he is or if it was flukish. Maybe Hardy at 5 and Kapler 2nd to get some protection from Braun and Fielder??

praying Alcides is ready to be a leadoff hitter cuz i'm not that thrilled with that potential lineup...

GB12
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Escobar is probably going to be in AAA to at least start the year if not the whole season.

Cameron should be brought back. I know most fans think he has been awful, but he's a solid CF offensively and defensively. He is so much better than any other possible option for next year.

Other than resigning CC, my most wanted offseason move would be to sign Orlando Hudson.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM

why the hell would they pick up a 10 mil dollar option on a center fielder who has lost a step and ended the season very shaky at the plate...a platoon of Kapler and Gwynn is the solution in center

Boston
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
why the hell would they pick up a 10 mil dollar option on a center fielder who has lost a step and ended the season very shaky at the plate...a platoon of Kapler and Gwynn is the solution in center

Did you just put Gwynn and solution in the same sentence?

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Did you just put Gwynn and solution in the same sentence?

Do you honestly think Mike Cameron can get the job done? His defense is garbage compared to the "greatness" that some proclaim and he strikes out way too much given the players already in the lineup. Gwynn is better defensively and is continuing to learn plate discipline.

GB12
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Because Tony Gwynn freakin sucks and we need Kapler to be the 4th outfielder. I'd bet anything Cameron is a Brewer next season.

Of MLB centerfielders Mike Cameron had the 5th most home runs, 11th most RBI, and 7th highest OPS. It'd be stupid to let that go.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Because Tony Gwynn freakin sucks and we need Kapler to be the 4th outfielder. I'd bet anything Cameron is a Brewer next season.

Of MLB centerfielders Mike Cameron had the 5th most home runs, 11th most RBI, and 7th highest OPS. It'd be stupid to let that go.

How about 3rd worst in Ks and BA?

*Note : 25 game suspension

GB12
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
How about 3rd worst in Ks and BA?

*Note : 25 game suspension
I'm not one of those sabermetric stat geeks, but seriously? Those stats you gave mean next to nothing. He is 15th in OBP and 7th in OPS despite the low batting average

He shouldn't be hitting leadoff, but he should definitely be in our lineup next season.

I never liked Mike Cameron before he was a Brewer, and don't particularly like him now, but he's a damn good centerfielder.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm not one of those sabermetric stat geeks, but seriously? Those stats you gave mean nothing compared to what I gave.

He shouldn't be hitting leadoff, but he should definitely be in our lineup next season.

I never liked Mike Cameron before he was a Brewer, and don't particularly like him now, but he's a damn good centerfielder.

He WAS a good CF but now he's average

GB12
10-06-2008, 07:57 PM
He WAS a good CF but now he's average
He's at the least a top 15 CF. There's no way we could find anyone better, in fact anyone else would be a huge drop off. At his 1 year $10 million option we have to pick that up and we will.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
He's at the least a top 15 CF. There's no way we could find anyone better, in fact anyone else would be a huge drop off. At his 1 year $10 million option we have to pick that up and we will.

$10 mil to a middle of the road CF? We need to lock up Fielder, Hardy, and possibly Hart. Take a look at signing CC long term and addressing the pen and 2B, and we want to devote that much money to Cameron? Doesn't make sense. Now, I know you're gonna comeback and say it's only one year but looking at the potential contracts we may be facing, it may be wise to somewhat front load those deals b/c the Brewers have already back loaded Braun's contract and you don't want to pay a big price financially down the road.

GB12
10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
$10 mil to a middle of the road CF? We need to lock up Fielder, Hardy, and possibly Hart. Take a look at signing CC long term and addressing the pen and 2B, and we want to devote that much money to Cameron? Doesn't make sense. Now, I know you're gonna comeback and say it's only one year but looking at the potential contracts we may be facing, it may be wise to somewhat front load those deals b/c the Brewers have already back loaded Braun's contract and you don't want to pay a big price financially down the road.
$10 million is absolutely worth it to keep Cameron. And you are severly understating how good Mike Cameron is.

It's not even something worth arguing because it's all but gauranteed we will pick up the option.

princefielder28
10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Other than resigning CC, my most wanted offseason move would be to sign Orlando Hudson.

That I can agree with

drowe
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
it's a tough call with Cameron. if he goes, we're gonna lose production from that position. if he stays, it's gonna hurt us in other free agent signings.

how far away do ya thing guys like Lorenzo Cain and Cole Gillespie are? if they could come up by june, i saw we show Cameron the door..but, if this is gonna be a year of relying on Kapler and Gwynn, it'd be hard to lose Cameron.

badgerbacker
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't see this happening simply because I don't think the Brewers want to move Braun again, but I was just going over different situations in my head. What do you guys think about Hart to center, Braun to right, and then have Gamel move to left?

I don't think it's realistic, because I think they're happy with Braun in left and Hart in right. However, Braun has the arm strength to play right, Hart has the athletic ability to play center, and Gamel might never be an even below average infielder... fun to think about, I guess.

drowe
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
i always assumed Gamel would end up at first base when Prince left. not sure how his fat ass would move around in the outfield..but, maybe.

princefielder28
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
it's a tough call with Cameron. if he goes, we're gonna lose production from that position. if he stays, it's gonna hurt us in other free agent signings.

how far away do ya thing guys like Lorenzo Cain and Cole Gillespie are? if they could come up by june, i saw we show Cameron the door..but, if this is gonna be a year of relying on Kapler and Gwynn, it'd be hard to lose Cameron.

Gillespie could probably be ready by June, maybe even with a strong ST we could see him up right away. He's the most ready OF still remaining in the minors.

princefielder28
10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Doug Melvin will be meeting with Dale Sveum sometime this week, and will be making a decision on whether to make Dale the manager or look outside the organization

GB12
10-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I really hope it's not Sveum.

princefielder28
10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I really hope it's not Sveum.

Who do you want to see in the spot?

drowe
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Robin Yount. don't care if he sucks. just want that mustache going face to face with an ump once and i can die happy.

the_legend_killer
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Sveum, as long as he doesn't intend on making Cameron (if he returns) the full-time leadoff hitter.

GB12
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Who do you want to see in the spot?
I can't say I know enough about coaches around MLB to pick one, but I do know enough about Sveum to say he'd be a bad choice.

EvilMonkey
10-14-2008, 12:35 AM
I can't say I know enough about coaches around MLB to pick one, but I do know enough about Sveum to say he'd be a bad choice.

yeah, i'm not really impressed with Sveum. Firing Yost was the kick in the butt this team needed, i dont know if he really had that much to do with the playoff push. Only thing he did was put Cam leadoff and Hall 2nd a lot, both of which I really disagreed with. I dont know who's really out there, but Sveum doesnt seem like the guy, just seems like another bench coach.

drowe
10-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Svuem isn't the guy. when he took over, the team went 7-5 and won one playoff game. nothing special.

princefielder28
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Manager Wish List

1. Tony Pena
2. John Farrell
3. Buck Showalter

drowe
10-17-2008, 09:44 AM
so, apparently the Brewers are one of the teams in the running for Jake Peavey. that's cool. i like the guy. but, it'd be a lot of $$ and if we're gonna spend that much, we might as well keep CC.

princefielder28
10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
so, apparently the Brewers are one of the teams in the running for Jake Peavey. that's cool. i like the guy. but, it'd be a lot of $$ and if we're gonna spend that much, we might as well keep CC.

Peavy would only be 56 million over the next 4 years so it wouldn't be that big of a financial burden for the talent involved. The bigger problem would be the pieces that we would have send back to San Diego. A package similar to that of JJ Hardy, Cole Gillespie, Jonathan Lucroy and Zach Braddock would be the asking price.

the_legend_killer
10-17-2008, 09:49 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081017&content_id=3628903&vkey=pr_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The Brewers announced that Doug Melvin's signed thru 2012 and Sveum won't be the manager.

princefielder28
10-17-2008, 11:18 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081017&content_id=3628903&vkey=pr_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The Brewers announced that Doug Melvin's signed thru 2012 and Sveum won't be the manager.

Now the offseason will really start

RockJock07
10-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Brenley is the best choice

princefielder28
10-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Brenley is the best choice

I think Jerry Narron is a quiet consideration. He was a coach under Johnny Oates when Melvin was the GM in Texas, and served as the manager under Dan O'Brien in Cincinnati. I wouldn't be a fan of the choice, but he has the connections inside the organization. I think Buck Showalter or Tony Pena would be the best choice, and the next week or two should be interesting to see who the guy is gonna be.

RockJock07
10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I think Jerry Narron is a quiet consideration. He was a coach under Johnny Oates when Melvin was the GM in Texas, and served as the manager under Dan O'Brien in Cincinnati. I wouldn't be a fan of the choice, but he has the connections inside the organization. I think Buck Showalter or Tony Pena would be the best choice, and the next week or two should be interesting to see who the guy is gonna be.

Yeah, Narron doesn't really get me going. Whomever it is Melvin will have to get him in place before he goes after CC. Personally, I would love Brenley, good guy and a perfect fit for Milwaukee.

I start a full-time sales positon in tickets with the Brewers next week so I'd like there to be some moves before then to create some buzz.

I would say that if CC doesn't resign then expect Prince to be traded for some pitching. To bad SD doesn't need a 1B or else Peavy could be had. Maybe trade Prince to LAA for Ervin Santana? No idea if that could work but I'm just throwing that out there.

GB12
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Prince won't be traded this offseason. He'll be moved in two years or even next year, but not now.

EvilMonkey
10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
not a shock or anything, but Melvin says we're gonna at least try to keep CC
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3650262

EvilMonkey
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Mariners hire Zduriencik to be new GM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3657500

always did a great job with the draft and always heard great things about him. Tough break for us.

the_legend_killer
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Damn, that sucks. Oh well, big time congrats go out to Jack and hopefully we got someone in house to take his place.

princefielder28
10-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Mariners hire Zduriencik to be new GM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3657500

always did a great job with the draft and always heard great things about him. Tough break for us.

That means Seattle comes back into the MLB

princefielder28
10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Ken Macha, Willie Randolph, and Bob Brenly appear to be the only three that Melvin will interview and expect a decision by next week.

EvilMonkey
10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Ken Macha, Willie Randolph, and Bob Brenly appear to be the only three that Melvin will interview and expect a decision by next week.

gotta be Brenly IMO, macha has just struggled too much with players (maybe some of the guys need a kick in the butt, i dunno) and i've never liked randolph.

drowe
10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
anyone but randolph. he couldn't get his guys to play in new york and talent wasn't an issue there.

EvilMonkey
10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/10/22/sveum-could-come-back-as-a-coach.aspx

Sveum now says he's more open to possibly coming back as a coach in some regard. Glad he's not gonna be the manager, but i'd love to have him back as 3rd base or bench coach.

badgerbacker
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm not really to excited about any of those managing prospects. I'd probably be most upset with Macha, but neither Brenly or Randolph would be great either. While some might disagree, I think Randolph is the best choice of those three. Brenly has not shown me too much, I mean I could have managed the Diamondbacks to a World Series title with Schilling and Johnson pitching like they were.

the_legend_killer
10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Of those 3 I'd like
1) Brenly
2) Macha
3) Randolph

drowe
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
1-Macha
2-Brenly
3-Randolph

GB12
10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/10/22/sveum-could-come-back-as-a-coach.aspx

Sveum now says he's more open to possibly coming back as a coach in some regard. Glad he's not gonna be the manager, but i'd love to have him back as 3rd base or bench coach.
Honestly I don't want him back at all. He was a pretty awful 3rd base coach.
I'm not really to excited about any of those managing prospects. I'd probably be most upset with Macha, but neither Brenly or Randolph would be great either. While some might disagree, I think Randolph is the best choice of those three. Brenly has not shown me too much, I mean I could have managed the Diamondbacks to a World Series title with Schilling and Johnson pitching like they were. The huge problem with Randolph is that the Mets had just as big of a collapse as we did last year.

EvilMonkey
10-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Honestly I don't want him back at all. He was a pretty awful 3rd base coach.
The huge problem with Randolph is that the Mets had just as big of a collapse as we did last year.

yeah, only reason i wouldnt mind him back is a little continuity it brings. Although having Ed Sedar is probably continuity enough.

princefielder28
10-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I have a strong feeling that Willie Randolph will become the next manager

As a side note, Ned Yost is consider one of the front-runners to be the next manager of the Seattle Mariners

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a strong feeling that Willie Randolph will become the next manager

and most of you guys told me I was crazy!

princefielder28
10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
and most of you guys told me I was crazy!

Can't say I was one of those 'guys.'

princefielder28
10-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Willie Randolph has turned down the chance to join the Nats' coaching staff

confident about another opportunity???

GB12
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Can't say I was one of those 'guys.'

Actually you were the only Brewer fan that responded to him saying that.

princefielder28
10-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Actually you were the only Brewer fan that responded to him saying that.

in the MLB Discussion Thread???

GB12
10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
in the MLB Discussion Thread???
My orginal comment to this was quoting Bruce Banner's post and saying "I think you're remembering a conversation that was never had"

Then I did a search to see if he ever said anything about. He said that Randolph was in the lead for the job, you said he wasn't. That's all the conversation that there was.

Certainly not most of us telling him he's crazy like he claims, just one person disagreeing.

princefielder28
10-25-2008, 01:35 PM
My orginal comment to this was quoting Bruce Banner's post and saying "I think you're remembering a conversation that was never had"

Then I did a search to see if he ever said anything about. He said that Randolph was in the lead for the job, you said he wasn't. That's all the conversation that there was.

Certainly not most of us telling him he's crazy like he claims, just one person disagreeing.

At time Bruce made that comment, Tom Haudricourt, Brewers' blogger for jsonline, said that Ken Macha and Bob Brenly were the leading candidates, and Macha remains the favorite today, but I was just stating that I have a gut feeling Willie would be named manager. It's not based on any evidence, and it goes against what insiders are saying.

GB12
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM
At time Bruce made that comment, Tom Haudricourt, Brewers' blogger for jsonline, said that Ken Macha and Bob Brenly were the leading candidates, and Macha remains the favorite today, but I was just stating that I have a gut feeling Willie would be named manager. It's not based on any evidence, and it goes against what insiders are saying.
Really not my point. I'm just saying that Bruce Banner is wrong.

princefielder28
10-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Really not my point. I'm just saying that Bruce Banner is wrong.

I know...I quoted you but my intent was to have a rebuttal ready for when Bruce comes back in here and discusses the situation

Bruce Banner
10-25-2008, 04:43 PM
LOL. Whoops! Glad to see I'm that far in your guys' skulls!

Boston
10-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Willie Randolph has turned down the chance to join the Nats' coaching staff

confident about another opportunity???

It's the Nationals we're talking about here...

EvilMonkey
10-25-2008, 07:28 PM

if they're good enough to hire Pat Listach as their 3rd-base coach, they're good enough for Randolph

GB12
10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Yep. And Randolph will still get money from the Mets if he doesn't coach this year. I doubt he'd take anything less than a manger.

princefielder28
10-26-2008, 01:45 PM
According to the New York Post, Ken Macha is the front runner as of today; Bob Brenly's interview was not as impressive as was hoped.

princefielder28
10-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Brewers blog backing the lean towards Macha

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/33333214.html

princefielder28
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Fielder speculation

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

princefielder28
10-27-2008, 01:48 PM
According to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Brewers are rumored to be pondering an offer of four years, $100 million to CC Sabathia.

drowe
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
According to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Brewers are rumored to be pondering an offer of four years, $100 million to CC Sabathia.

interesting. i had kinda thought he'd go for around 6 years, $100 million. hey, if mark wants to spend that kind of money, i'm not gonna complain. but, damn.

princefielder28
10-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike Maddux, whose contract is up on Friday, may head to Texas if he does not feel like he fits with Ken Macha. Money may be an influence as well.

the_legend_killer
10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
From FOXsports.com

MILWAUKEE (AP) - The Milwaukee Brewers claimed third baseman Casey McGehee off waivers Wednesday from the Chicago Cubs.

McGehee, 26, spent most of last season at Triple-A Iowa. McGehee batted .296 with 12 homers and 92 RBIs in 133 games. In a September call up, McGehee hit .167 and drove in five runs in his first nine major league games.

To make room for McGehee on the roster, infielder Joe Dillon was designated for assignment.

princefielder28
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
It was neat to see Geoff Jenkins contribute in the clinching game of the World Series and get himself a ring.

Expect Macha to be named today or tomorrow

drowe
10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
officially ken macha!

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewNews.do?newsId=78

princefielder28
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
officially ken macha!

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewNews.do?newsId=78

I'm very suprised that it's only a two-year deal

tjsunstein
10-30-2008, 04:21 PM
As a Phillies fan, I hated Geoff Jenkins until last night. His lead off hit made him worth every penny this year, but next year....

GB12
10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Good, Macha was who I wanted out of the candidates.

RockJock07
10-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm very suprised that it's only a two-year deal

Macha doesn't have an agent so that could be why. I was at the press conference, Ken sounded pretty good to me, the more I think about it the more I like it.

princefielder28
10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
The Brewers are preparing their run at CC Sabathia. It is looking like a range of 20 million a year but fewer years than a team like the Yankees, Angels, Giants, or Dodgers may offer.

The team will "keep the door open" for bringing back Ben Sheets, but he will not be pursued like Sabathia.

I think that the team will be unable to keep either player and Prince Fielder will be the piece moved to fix the holes in the staff.

the_legend_killer
10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
If they would deal Fielder, what would they do at 1B? Would they go with someone inhouse or would they sign a FA? I deal to the Giants that including at least Matt Cain, Kevin Frandsen (Not sure if he's available, but I like the guy) and more wouldn't be TOO bad.

drowe
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
i want to see a Fielder trade. i was on the fence. but he's not in the Brewer's future. i'm a strong supporter of trying Mat Gamel at 1B in 2009. we'd still have a huge hole at 3B but with this pitching staff, who cares..of course i'm assuming fielder is dealt for Matt Cain and the money that would go to Prince would instead go towards retaining CC:

CC
Yo
Cain
Parra
...aw, christ, it still has to be Suppan here doesn't it?
but, still...even better rotation than the peak of last year.

the_legend_killer
10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Would Gamel be any good at 1st base?

princefielder28
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Would Gamel be any good at 1st base?

He can't be any worse than he is at third..haha

plus prince isn't that good of a defensive 1B anyways

GB12
10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
We declined Counsell's option.

GB12
11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately Sveum will be our hitting coach.

EvilMonkey
11-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Unfortunately Sveum will be our hitting coach.

yeah, token position i guess. He wasnt great at 3rd, but i kinda wanted him back. Bench coach seemed to make the most sense, but i guess that aint happening.

princefielder28
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Cameron's option picked up

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/33749649.html

I am not a fan of this decision mostly because of him being another right handed bat in the lineup that strikes out alot. This may also be a move to try to get Sabathia to stay because those two have a solid relationship. If Sabathia doesn't sign then I expect Cameron to be traded at some point to New York.

Maddux will not be back as the pitching coach

EvilMonkey
11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Cameron's option picked up

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/33749649.html

I am not a fan of this decision mostly because of him being another right handed bat in the lineup that strikes out alot. This may also be a move to try to get Sabathia to stay because those two have a solid relationship. If Sabathia doesn't sign then I expect Cameron to be traded at some point to New York.

Maddux will not be back as the pitching coach

also not a fan of the move. The OF, Hardy, and Kendall gives us 5 guaranteed right-handed bats, not to mention the 10 mil we cant spend elsewhere. Openings at 2B and 3B that we can hopefully fill with a few lefties, but dunno what is really out there.

some i know:
3B - Blalock, Ramón Vázquez,
2B - O-Dog, wouldnt mind Durham back, maybe a flier on Felipe Lopez?

princefielder28
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Doug Melvin did sit down with Padres' GM Kevin Towers this past weekend at the GM meetings with the subject of Jake Peavy likely on the slate.

princefielder28
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
SI.com have backed up a JS report about Sabathia's deal being 4-5 years and 100 mil

the_legend_killer
11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
If we do trade Prince to San Fransisco, any deal involving at least SP Matt Cain and 2B Kevin Frandsen would all but have the LK seal of approval.

GB12
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Keeping Mike Cameron was a great move and one that had to be done.

EvilMonkey
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
If we do trade Prince to San Fransisco, any deal involving at least SP Matt Cain and 2B Kevin Frandsen would all but have the LK seal of approval.

Trading prince is a must i think. If we can keep CC, maybe pay him arby for a year but if we have CC's contract on the books, hard to pay prince. If we dont have CC, hard to keep prince cuz we need pitching and he's the most logical trading piece.

Whistler6
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
The Brewers are officially paying Mike Cameron roughly 10% of the ENTIRE team's payroll to bat .235, strike out 150-180 times during the season, and play defense. This move, while I love the guy, was not worth it. He's a leader and a veteran, but he is I think 36 now. That money could have gone to different places much more worth while.

Also, why do so many people want Prince to be traded? He's one of the faces of our franchise and honestly my favorite player. Braun/Fielder '09*

GB12
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
The Brewers are officially paying Mike Cameron roughly 10% of the ENTIRE team's payroll to bat .235, strike out 150-180 times during the season, and play defense. This move, while I love the guy, was not worth it. He's a leader and a veteran, but he is I think 36 now. That money could have gone to different places much more worth while.

Also, why do so many people want Prince to be traded? He's one of the faces of our franchise and honestly my favorite player. Braun/Fielder '09*I'm not going to give a full explaination again, but as I've said before picking up Mike Cameron's option was a great move and we had to do it. Cameron takes way too much crap from fans than he should get. He's a top ten offensive center fielder, and there was no other option that would be anywhere close to as good as Cameron. It would have been insanely stupid not to keep him.

Whistler6
11-05-2008, 11:19 PM
please tell me what makes him a TOP OFFENSIVE CF.. Stats:

He had 444 at bats this year, he struck out 142 times in 120 games. Do the math, and that is that he strikes out 32% of the times he steps to the plate. Yes he hit 25 homeruns, and yeah is defensively is top 10, but... When the Brewers stopped hitting homeruns that last month of the season, they were terrible. We need to advance runners, make contact, and hit for average. NONE of which Cameron does.

Don't lecture me about Mike Cameron, I love the guy. I love his defense, and I am glad he is coming back! But paying him 10 million dollars for 1 season (again 1/9th of the total payroll), is way too much. Not only did Cameron play 25 games less than all the regular starters, but the next closest player to him in K's was Rickie Weeks who batted more and still had less K's. Even Prince had 140 more at-bats than Cameron and struck out less than him. Cameron ended the year batting .243 and ya know, he's probably pretty happy about that. Not me, and the Brewer's shouldn't be okay with it.

Rocco Baldelli, Willie Bloomquist, Jim Edmonds, Gabe Kapler, Mark Kotsay, Corey Patterson, and Scott Podsednik are all free agents CF's.. not to mention promoting within, moving Hart over, the free agent LF's and RF's. I am not saying bringing im back was completely wrong or that we should sign any of those guys, but look around before throwing a wad of cash to a 36 year old with 160 more strike-outs than hits in his career AND an OBP of .330...

bigboiajhawk
11-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Rocco Baldelli, Willie Bloomquist, Jim Edmonds, Gabe Kapler, Mark Kotsay, Corey Patterson, and Scott Podsednik are all free agents CF's.. not to mention promoting within, moving Hart over, the free agent LF's and RF's. I am not saying bringing im back was completely wrong or that we should sign any of those guys, but look around before throwing a wad of cash to a 36 year old with 160 more strike-outs than hits in his career AND an OBP of .330...

I would much rather have Cameron at centerfield than any of those guys that you mentioned. I dont understand why people pay so much attention to strikeouts. Let me ask all of you, would you rather have a guy strike out with guys on base or a guy who grounds into a double play. Also, it takes a minimum of three pitches to strike a guy out, and the likelihood that it is just three is pretty miniscule so atleast Cameron is getting around 5 pitches. I would rather have a guy who strikes out than a guy who swings at the first pitch and gets an out. Also, Cameron wasnt in the greatest situation to start the year, if he was not suspended he easily could have hit 30 homers and have a lot more rbi's.

GB12
11-05-2008, 11:45 PM
please tell me what makes him a TOP OFFENSIVE CF.. Stats:

He had 444 at bats this year, he struck out 142 times in 120 games. Do the math, and that is that he strikes out 32% of the times he steps to the plate. Yes he hit 25 homeruns, and yeah is defensively is top 10, but... When the Brewers stopped hitting homeruns that last month of the season, they were terrible. We need to advance runners, make contact, and hit for average. NONE of which Cameron does.Of MLB centerfielders Mike Cameron had the 5th most home runs, 11th most RBI, and 7th highest OPS. Yes his batting average is low and he strikes out too much, but even with that he's a top offensive centerfield. In fact that makes it more impressive that he's 7th in OPS. I do understand that he can be frustrating to watch, but he does produce.

Don lecture me about Mike Cameron, I love the guy. I love his defense, and I am glad he is coming back! But paying him 10 million dollars for 1 season (again 1/9th of the total payroll), is way too much.

$10 million is a lot of money, especially for a small market team like the Brewers, but it was a move that needed to be done. He is one of the best centerfielders in the league and could have easily gotten $10 million in free agency. None of the guys you listed would come close to what we get from Cameron. I like Gabe Kapler the most out of those, but he shouldn't be a full time starter. I'd love to have him back as our 4th outfielder, but he's not an everyday centerfielder. Promoting with in is something to consider next year, but none of our prospects are ready to start 2009 in the majors. Also moving Hart to center scares me quite a bit. I used to think that was going to happen no doubt, but after watching his second half of last year I'm not sure he can handle it. Not that it can't eventually happen, but moving him to center for 2009 would be a disaster all around the outfield. Then we'd have Hart learning center, probably have to put Braun in right, and then have Gamel playing in the outfield for the first time. No thanks.

princefielder28
11-06-2008, 10:16 AM
The Yankees are showing quite a bit of interest in Cameron and are rumored to be willing to part with Melky Cabrera and pitching to acquire him

the_legend_killer
11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.spideysenses.com/wp-content/Picture%2013.png
Do it.

EvilMonkey
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34028484.html

Melky, possibly infielder Wilson Betemit and a pitcher

i'd be all for that and maybe trading Cam was a possible reason for his option being picked up. For us he's a huge chunk out of our payroll, but for the Yanks it's one year of the guy at a reasonable price for them. Not a lot of risk for them.

Melky was terrible most of last year but he's still young and can turn it around, Betemit is got a little power and ok in the field at a couple positions plus both of those guys are switch-hitters I believe which gives our lineup a lot more flexibility. Add a pitcher to go along with it seems like a real nice deal for us and makes sense.

Whistler6
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.spideysenses.com/wp-content/Picture%2013.png
Do it.

haha.. word. Being just a fan, I guess I can't keep talking and talking about what the Brewer's ''should'' do. In the end I'm going to root for them either way and live and die with each win/loss. Go Crew '09

GB12
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow that'd be an awful trade. If we trade him at least get something good in return.

princefielder28
11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow that'd be an awful trade. If we trade him at least get something good in return.

Melky is a young center fielder with potential to be a very solid contributor, Betemit would be a nice utility player, and then add a pitcher for a player who will just walk after the year and currently has decreasing production. Please stop talking up Mike Cameron like this great player.

Bill Castro named pitching coach

EvilMonkey
11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Melky is a young center fielder with potential to be a very solid contributor, Betemit would be a nice utility player, and then add a pitcher for a player who will just walk after the year and currently has decreasing production. Please stop talking up Mike Cameron like this great player.

Bill Castro named pitching coach

yeah i agree. I like Cam but honestly without CC and Sheets and the current righty-heavy lineup we have I dont see us as anything but a potential wild-card run next year. At least this year we had the pitching to make a run in the playoffs, didnt happen but we had the potential. What we currently have, i think we could possibly get in the wild card(and that's a very big possible). This trade gives us a pair of switch-hitters and Ian Kennedy, rumored as the possible pitcher, is another talented guy. Macha has said he's all about developing talent, which he did in Oakland, why not get 2 talented young guys and a solid utility guy for Cam?

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I see us as an 80 win team next year at best either way. Cam's defense and power is nice, but melky would be ok if he can get it back and we might need all the pitching help we can get which could offset that. I'd rather have young guys that can contribute in the future than a one-year 10 mil. rental of Cameron on the team. We can then use that 10-mil on a quality SP or something too. I really dont think this trade does anything but help the team next year, and obviously the years after with younger guys. I'm looking at the deal's potential impact more in 2010 than 2009.

EvilMonkey
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Willie Randolph hired as bench coach
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34144474.html

GB12
11-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Willie Randolph hired as bench coach
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34144474.html
Wow, that's surprising. I like the hire though. I didn't want him to be manager, but I'll gladly take him as bench coach.

EvilMonkey
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, that's surprising. I like the hire though. I didn't want him to be manager, but I'll gladly take him as bench coach.

yeah, ton of experience to have on the bench. I love the move, didnt want him as manager just like you, but great hire as a bench coach.

Whistler6
11-08-2008, 02:17 PM
So Cubs are the front runner for Jake Peavy, and the Cardinals are the front runner for Matt Holiday.. Wayyyyyyyyyy to early to say "we need to make some moves", but if those unfold like they are rumored the Cubs and Cardinals will be incredibly better than they were last year. Saying the Cubs will be better is sick especially with the pitching they already have.

GB12
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
So Cubs are the front runner for Jake Peavy, and the Cardinals are the front runner for Matt Holiday.. Wayyyyyyyyyy to early to say "we need to make some moves", but if those unfold like they are rumored the Cubs and Cardinals will be incredibly better than they were last year. Saying the Cubs will be better is sick especially with the pitching they already have.
No no no. If both those happen we shouldn't make any moves. We couldn't do anything big enough to counter that so there'd be no sense trading away prospects. We can't afford to lose the prospects and money when we still wouldn't have much of a chance.

EvilMonkey
11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
No no no. If both those happen we shouldn't make any moves. We couldn't do anything big enough to counter that so there'd be no sense trading away prospects. We can't afford to lose the prospects and money when we still wouldn't have much of a chance.

exactly, i've said on the previous page already that i think we are at best a fringe wild card contender next year unless we can resign CC. If those moves happen, well, next year might not be meant to be and we should get younger if anything and look forward to future years. If both those moves happen, I want Cam and Prince traded and I want young talent to let Macha develop.

GB12
11-08-2008, 02:27 PM
exactly, i've said on the previous page already that i think we are at best a fringe wild card contender next year unless we can resign CC. If those moves happen, well, next year might not be meant to be and we should get younger if anything and look forward to future years. If both those moves happen, I want Cam and Prince traded and I want young talent to let Macha develop.
I definitely wouldn't trade Prince in that scenario. His value will be as high next year as it is this year. Prince would be more help than a pitcher would for next season. Then after the season we can see what young pitchers are on the market and make a trade. It'd be pointless to trade for a pitcher if we're in a rebuilding year.

EvilMonkey
11-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I definitely wouldn't trade Prince in that scenario. His value will be as high next year as it is this year. Prince would be more help than a pitcher would for next season. Then after the season we can see what young pitchers are on the market and make a trade. It'd be pointless to trade for a pitcher if we're in a rebuilding year.

yeah, i should have said I'd trade Prince for Cain who we could then have for a few years. I dont want to just trade him for any pitching we can get, needs to be someone young with potential who wont just be there for a year or two.

I'm still hoping none of those rumored deals happen and we can go out and get O-Dog hopefully and some FA pitching and contend next year and beyond.

GB12
11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
yeah, i should have said I'd trade Prince for Cain who we could then have for a few years. I dont want to just trade him for any pitching we can get, needs to be someone young with potential who wont just be there for a year or two.

I'm still hoping none of those rumored deals happen and we can go out and get O-Dog hopefully and some FA pitching and contend next year and beyond.
No, I understood that's what you meant. Having Prince for next year would be more beneficial than having Cain. Then the next offseason we could still get Cain or some other young pitcher for Prince. Prince's value can only go up and Cain would likely go down in price because he'd be 25 next year. Or we could go with an even younger pitcher.

There's much to gain by waiting. Next offseason is the time to trade Prince.

the_legend_killer
11-08-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34039349.html

Trenni's leaving :(

Whistler6
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Sign Prince or JJ, trade the other for starting pitching.. maybe make a run at Fuentes? bring up Escobr, exercise option on Shouse, let Torres go. Find another left handed bat or two. AND DAMNIT, give Mike Rivera some playing time!

Whistler6
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Trenni is in my top 3.. I am sad she won't be around next year. Good for her though! =)

GB12
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Sign Prince or JJ, trade the other for starting pitching.. maybe make a run at Fuentes? bring up Escobr, exercise option on Shouse, let Torres go. Find another left handed bat or two. AND DAMNIT, give Mike Rivera some playing time!
I disagree with about half of that.

-JJ should be signed long term. First in line as far as I'm concerned
-Prince should be traded...next season though
-Fuentes is definitely not worth it. He's not that good and costs way too much
-Escobar could still use some time in the minors. He could be a mid-season callup, but more likely will wait and be a 2010 opening day starter
-Shouse has kind of lost it. I think we should let him go, Stetter's a better lefty by now. I wouldn't have a problem signing him though, I just think there are better options. Not a big deal either way
-Torres should be picked up. He didn't finish the season too well, but he was one of if not the best reliever we had last year. Hopefully we find a better option for a closer, but he'd be a nice 7-8 inning inning guy and is able to pitch more than one inning. He definitely still holds value for us and his option isn't that bad at I think around $3 million.
-Don't know where we're going to find those left handed bats, but getting one would be nice
-Yes, Kendall needs more off days. Without Ned being a stubborn jackass that should happen this season.

EvilMonkey
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Salomon Torres Retiring
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34282374.html

Huge blow, even bigger holes in our bullpen now.....

princefielder28
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Salomon Torres Retiring
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34282374.html

Huge blow, even bigger holes in our bullpen now.....

This sucks....he struggled in September due to being over worked but would have been a big time pitcher in our bullpen for '09.

the_legend_killer
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Would anyone else here love to see Trevor Hoffman as our closer next year?

princefielder28
11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Would anyone else here love to see Trevor Hoffman as our closer next year?

I think Huston Street may become a trade option for the Crew. He was just traded to Colorado but Manny Corpas is their closer long term and Street doesn't seem to fit into their plans.

EvilMonkey
11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Huston Street may become a trade option for the Crew. He was just traded to Colorado but Manny Corpas is their closer long term and Street doesn't seem to fit into their plans.

they have Taylor Bucholz too who's a great young reliever, dont know if they might try to make him into a starter or what, but either way they have a lot of good bullpen arms. If they were willing to trade a guy, they definately have the available arms.

rumfinator
11-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Well, Jim Hendry said that Kerry Wood will not be back with the team. So, I will ask the question, why not Kerry Wood?

We all know he is injury prone, but picking him up with a one year deal wouldn't be too bad. He does have good stuff when he is healthy and at best could solve our closer problems..at worst....we wasted one year and some money.

I mean...if the Brewers gave Eric Gagne a chance...why not Kerry.

GB12
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Ryan Braun won a Silver Slugger award.

Whistler6
11-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, Jim Hendry said that Kerry Wood will not be back with the team. So, I will ask the question, why not Kerry Wood?

We all know he is injury prone, but picking him up with a one year deal wouldn't be too bad. He does have good stuff when he is healthy and at best could solve our closer problems..at worst....we wasted one year and some money.

I mean...if the Brewers gave Eric Gagne a chance...why not Kerry.

He will get a 3-year deal from someone around prob 20-30 million and the Brewers shouldn't and wouldn't fork that over. Something to think abou though.

princefielder28
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Omar Aguilar, Alex Periard, Mark Rogers and Cody Scarpetta were all added to the 40 man roster to avoid them being selected in the Rule 5 Draft

Boston
11-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Hopefully Mark Rogers can get his **** together. I need another top pitching prospect to follow.

princefielder28
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=32802

A non-Giants source has told me there remains some dialog between the Giants and Brewers about a possible deal for first baseman Prince Fielder or shortstop J.J. Hardy, but the source said the Brewers are not terribly keen on moving them, particularly Fielder.

In general, Giants people seem to be lowering expectations that they can swing any kind of deal for a big impact bat. That was their hope as the season ended, but during their discussions they have found that teams are reluctant to deal everyday players for pitchers, unless the pitcher's name is Tim Lincecum.

Whistler6
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow what I'd do for little Timothy to become a Brewer. Unfortunately there is 0 chance they Giants let that guy go. To be honest, though I am pretty reluctanct to see either JJ or Prince go as well. They are 2 of the faces of this team. Pitching is important, but I'd hate to give them up. If only Prince could lose a bit of weight, I'd be much more confident in giving him big money to be life-er with the Crew

princefielder28
11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3716104

Yankees trying to play hardball with Sabathia

EvilMonkey
11-25-2008, 09:20 PM
from jsonline
The Brewers also have come to terms on a major league contract with left-handed reliever R.J. Swindle, 25, who pitched in Philadelphia's system last year. Swindle is a finesse pitcher who throws a 55 mph curveball yet still has averaged 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings in four minor league seasons.

In 194 minor league innings with Boston, the New York Yankees and Philadelphia, Swindle has logged 226 strikeouts while issuing only 25 walks and compiling a 1.58 ERA.

Splitting time between the Class AA and AAA levels in 2008, Swindle was 3-1 with a 1.53 ERA in 38 games, with eight walks and 67 strikeouts in 53 innings.

Swindle made his major legue debut with the Phillies in July and compiled a 7.71 ERA in three appearances covering 4 2/3 innings (nine hits, four earned runs).

A 14th round selection of the Red Sox in 2004, Swindle pitched at Charleston Southern University, where he was a 3-time All Big South selection, as well as the 2003 Big South player of the year.

The native of Vancouver, British Columbia pitched for Team Canada in the 2008 Olympics.

nothing big, but giving this guy a major league contract makes it look like Shouse probably wont be back. This guy and Stetter are probably the lefty specialists i think.

umphrey
11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
55 mph fastball? Should be interesting if nothing else

GB12
11-25-2008, 09:37 PM
55 mph fastball? Should be interesting if nothing else
55 mph curveball.

umphrey
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
typo
10char

the_legend_killer
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Brewers classics is showing the game Prince and Weeks hit their first HR's. All I gotta say is Chris Magruder FTW.

princefielder28
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Brewers classics is showing the game Prince and Weeks hit their first HR's. All I gotta say is Chris Magruder FTW.

I was a big fan of Magruder as a player coming off the bench

the_legend_killer
12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Switch hitters never hurt. But seeing some of these players, even though it was only 3 and a half years ago, is surreal. Wes Obermueller. Tomo. Brady Clark.

the_legend_killer
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I wonder if that Braun kid they're talking to will ever pan out.

princefielder28
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8887738/Source:-Brewers'-Sheets-likely-to-decline-arbitration

Sheets likely to decline arbitration

umphrey
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8887738/Source:-Brewers'-Sheets-likely-to-decline-arbitration

Sheets likely to decline arbitration

No surprise, I expected him to be gone and I'm not too upset about it.

the_legend_killer
12-04-2008, 04:23 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081204&content_id=3702572&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Jorge Julio is a Brewer.

princefielder28
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081204&content_id=3702572&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Jorge Julio is a Brewer.

Not a bad signing at all...low risk, high reward scenario

EvilMonkey
12-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Not a bad signing at all...low risk, high reward scenario

yeah, he was good at the end of the year when he got called back up, nice signing. If it doesnt work out no big deal, if it does a valuable arm in the pen.

Whistler6
12-06-2008, 12:09 AM
It's not Eric Gagne money so thank God

GB12
12-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Russell Branyan signed with Seattle. Happened a while ago, but I don't think it was posted in here.

PACKmanN
12-06-2008, 01:31 AM
What do you guys think Ben Sheets would get in FA and for how many years?

EvilMonkey
12-06-2008, 02:14 AM
What do you guys think Ben Sheets would get in FA and for how many years?

well, he obviously thinks he'll get a 2 year deal but i dont know how much it'll be worth. I think he gets 2 years at about 20-25 million with incentives obviously if he can stay healthy but i cant say for certain he wouldnt be better off taking arbitration for a year and hoping to stay healthy then getting a 4-5 year deal if he can last a year. That being said, he cant for certain stay healthy and take 1-2 year deals forever in hopes of staying healthy for a year and getting a big payday based off it so his decision is probably right.

princefielder28
12-06-2008, 10:04 AM
According to Newsday, the Brewers may up the Sabathia contract to a six year deal worth $110 million.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks065954223dec06,0,2841159.story?track=rss

The Brewers have also expressed interest in Randy Johnson

GB12
12-06-2008, 10:58 AM
What's the point of that? It's still $30 million short if the Yankee's offer.

the_legend_killer
12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't mind Randy coming to the Brewers for a year, not at all.

princefielder28
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
The Brewers have re-signed reliever Todd Coffey to a one year deal worth $800K.

I like this move; he was very solid in September and was one of the more reliable relievers.

The signing, or re-signings thus far, are two that will replace what Gagne and Mota's roles were with the team last year; both should be middle relievers.

Carlos Villanueva should be the setup guy for the next season and the need for a closer will round out the back end of our bullpen.

the_legend_killer
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, Coffey pitched well down the stretch and deserved to come back and get a shot in the bullpen. With the Winter Meetings starting today it looks like some big stuff is gonna go down in the next few days.

Whistler6
12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Randall Johnson would be a possible 10 win guy...and media exposure to our team as he gets close to that 300 win mark right? Not much else. I'd fully expect him to land on the DL atleast twice next season

princefielder28
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
It appears that the Brewers are going to re-sign Mike Lamb to a one year deal

Projecting 25 man roster

C Jason Kendall
C Mike Rivera
1B Prince Fielder
2B Rickie Weeks
SS JJ Hardy
3B Bill Hall
IF Mike Lamb
OF Ryan Braun
OF Mike Cameron
OF Corey Hart

P Yovani Gallardo
P Manny Parra
P Dave Bush
P Jeff Suppan
P Seth McClung
P Todd Coffey
P Jorge Julio
P Carlos Villanueva
P Mitch Stetter
P David Riske

These are the 20 that I feel fairly confident in making the roster unless they're traded.

Still to go....

IF
4th OF
SP
Closer

That's four spots and the fifth will go to one of the younger players or be acuqired through trade

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
The Brewers are having talks with Seattle for closer J.J. Putz. This would make sense on both sides and Jack Z knows the minor league system just as well or better than Melvin so he could pick and choose who he wants.

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
The Brewers have also talked to the Baltimore Orioles about catcher Ramon Hernandez. It doesn't make much sense with Kendall as the starter and Rivera as a solid backup.

EvilMonkey
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Dont want to give up too much in terms of prospects, but Putz would be a great addition. Maybe Jack Z loves Rickie and will take him off our hands as a big part of the deal.

Ramon Hernandez makes no sense really. I guess the O's have Weiters waiting in the wings and I could see them getting rid of Hernandez cheaply for someone, but we really dont need him.

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Dont want to give up too much in terms of prospects, but Putz would be a great addition. Maybe Jack Z loves Rickie and will take him off our hands as a big part of the deal.

Ramon Hernandez makes no sense really. I guess the O's have Weiters waiting in the wings and I could see them getting rid of Hernandez cheaply for someone, but we really dont need him.

The Brewers are not going to deal Rickie Weeks; the hope is for Willie Randolph is iron out some of the wrinkles in Rickie's game.

My guess is that a package to Seattle would include Tony Gwynn Jr. Cole Gillespie/Lorenzo Cain, Brad Nelson, and possibly some pitching

the_legend_killer
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, with K-Rod going to the Mets and Kerry Wood looking like he'll be a Indian, I hope this falls in line for Trevor Hoffman to be a Brewer for a season.

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, with K-Rod going to the Mets and Kerry Wood looking like he'll be a Indian, I hope this falls in line for Trevor Hoffman to be a Brewer for a season.

I don't think Trevor Hoffman has what it takes to be an above average closer, and we'd see alot of the same results that we got out of Gagne last year. I would prefer someone like Brandon Lyon, who is a Type B FA compared to Hoffman being Type A.

the_legend_killer
12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Lyon would be ok by me, but I would have faith in Hoffman (Who I would assume would make less than Gagne, so he's already better) and Hoffman's stuff isn't as directly related by age, or a start downturn of the 'roids like Gagne. If it was within reason, unlike Gagne last year, I would welcome Hoffman to Milwaukee and would love to hear Hells Bells in the 9th.

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Steve Phillips is reporting there were discussions between the Mariners and Brewers with Prince Fielder heading to Seattle and JJ Putz heading to Milwaukee.

:(

the_legend_killer
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
....................................that would suck majorly.

princefielder28
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
If we trade Prince Fielder for pitching it better not be for 30+ year old relievers

GB12
12-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Makes a lot of sense actually; obviously depending on what else they'd be giving us.

EvilMonkey
12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Makes a lot of sense actually; obviously depending on what else they'd be giving us.

yeah, they'd have to throw something else in obviously, but i could see where it could be an ok deal. They do have other young pitching prospects and I guess it could happen.

EvilMonkey
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, now that CC appears to be gone, what do you guys think we'll do for pitching?? Any new trade rumors or anything out there??

princefielder28
12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Thankfully the CC Sabathia sweepstakes is over and the team can move forward now. I expect Mike Cameron, and possibly Bill Hall, to be traded as we move ahead.

I'm also guessing that Brian Fuentes will get alot of consideration from Milwaukee

EvilMonkey
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Thankfully the CC Sabathia sweepstakes is over and the team can move forward now. I expect Mike Cameron, and possibly Bill Hall, to be traded as we move ahead.

I'm also guessing that Brian Fuentes will get alot of consideration from Milwaukee

speaking of Fuentes
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35887119.html

if Fuentes is gonna get a reported $10 mil a year, i'd rather pass and go with a guy like Hoffman. Fuentes was good last year but i cant forget he lost his closer job the year before and a multiyear deal at $10 per scares me with him. Hoffman would be ok i guess, wouldnt mind us giving him a 1 year deal. I'm still hoping we can somehow get Putz without giving up too much.

GB12
12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Big time pass on Fuentes.

the_legend_killer
12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Big time pass on Fuentes.

2nded here

Whistler6
12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
The Brewers have taken their name off the (aging) Trevor Hoffman list. Also, if Doug Melvin is willing to pay Eric Gagne $10 million dollars, then I *definitely think Fuentes would be worth it. Statistically, he was up there with some of the best last season, and that was for a team that didn't really perform. Money needs to be spent somewhere. As well all know, the Brewers won't be landing any big namers like Texiera, Manny Ramireiz, Burnett, Sheets, etc so the we might as well over pay a little bit and shore up a weakness.

Spending a tiny amount of money here and there on guys like Mike Lamb and Jorge Julio is not going to being the Brewers back to the playoffs.

Sign Fuentes and please don't trade away Prince Fielder...

EvilMonkey
12-10-2008, 11:35 PM
The Brewers have taken their name off the (aging) Trevor Hoffman list. Also, if Doug Melvin is willing to pay Eric Gagne $10 million dollars, then I *definitely think Fuentes would be worth it. Statistically, he was up there with some of the best last season, and that was for a team that didn't really perform. Money needs to be spent somewhere. As well all know, the Brewers won't be landing any big namers like Texiera, Manny Ramireiz, Burnett, Sheets, etc so the we might as well over pay a little bit and shore up a weakness.

Spending a tiny amount of money here and there on guys like Mike Lamb and Jorge Julio is not going to being the Brewers back to the playoffs.

Sign Fuentes and please don't trade away Prince Fielder...

i'm sorry but a team from our market size should not be investing $10 mil a year in a 33-year old closer who lost his job less than 2 years ago. If it was a 1 or 2 year deal fine, but i just dont want to be stuck with an average player cashing in on a good year and making over $10 mil. and playing average again. (see Suppan, Jeff)

I'd rather give the Ginger Wizard or Luis Pena a shot at closing than pay Fuentes

edit: just saw on ESPN that Mets got Putz, so that option is gone. Please dont panic and overpay for Fuentes Melvin.....

Whistler6
12-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Mike Cameron has been traded to the NY Yankees for Melky Cabrera. Does that make us better...or just cheaper???

the_legend_killer
12-11-2008, 06:27 AM
I haven't seen it confirmed yet, just reported by Buster Olney that it's serious talking between the Yanks and Brewers. If Ian Kennedy or another pitching prospect is involved I wouldn't have a problem with it.

princefielder28
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Mike Cameron has been traded to the NY Yankees for Melky Cabrera. Does that make us better...or just cheaper???

We have discussed this potential deal already, a couple months back, and I like the deal. Not only does it give us a young center fielder to replace Cameron with, but it also gives us some more financial flexibility.

The deal is not 100% complete yet; Bill Hall could be on his way out of town.

drowe
12-11-2008, 10:52 AM

i'm ok with this trade if it's straight up.
if the brewers get any additional pieces along with cabrerra, i'm over the moon.

EvilMonkey
12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
fine with the trade if it goes through. Yeah, Melky was bad last year, but he's still young with potential is a lefty(is he lefty or switch-hitter, dont remember?) bat that we need. As long as we can get something else on top of just Melky it's a good trade and if they take Hall I'd be fine with us just getting Melky to get rid of Hall's contract.

princefielder28
12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Brewers select P Eddie Morlan in the Rule 5 draft; he was in the Futures' Game this past season.

He was rated as the 9th best prospects in the Rays' organization heading into last season.

EvilMonkey
12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Brewers select P Eddie Morlan in the Rule 5 draft; he was in the Futures' Game this past season.

He was rated as the 9th best prospects in the Rays' organization heading into last season.

little report on him from this site
http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2008/11/the_2008_rule_5.php

Eduardo Morlan | Tampa Bay
Position: Right-Handed Reliever
Born: March 1986
2008 Level: Double-A

Eduardo Morlan was traded to Tampa Bay from Minnesota last winter in the Matt Garza-Delmon Young swap. He can dial his fastball up into the mid-90s and he has a high-80s slider that acts as his strikeout pitch. His numbers were down in 2008 after switching organizations but you don't get the chance to nab a player with this skill set after a fabulous season. He still allowed just 44 hits in 47 innings with rates of 2.87 BB/9 and 8.62 K/9.

Needless to say, sounds like a great pick.

GB12
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking the Brewers are just accepting the fact that we won't be going to the playoffs. If that's the case then I'm fine with trading Cameron. If the Yankees take Hall too then it's a great trade.

This season we should try and have as low of a payroll as possible. Don't spend money anywhere that's not needed. We might struggle through the year, but with out the starting pitching our chances at the playoffs would be very slim no matter what. Do not trade any of our young players (Prince/JJ), don't sign any big money free agents especially relievers, and only spend money where it's necessary.

We can then get it going again in 2010 for a run at the World Series. By then hopefully Gamel and Escobar will be major league ready along with at least one of our catchers. We'd have some good trading chips to get some starting pitching and could wait until next offseason to fix our bullpen. As much as it sucks to pretty much give up on next season it's probably the best plan.