PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

princefielder28
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
If we do trade Bill Hall with Mike Cameron to the New York Yankees I think we should expect Alcides Escobar to be our opening day starter at SS with Hardy at 3B. Then, next season, I think we see a Prince Fielder trade for pitching with Mat Gamel being inserted at 1B. I know it's looking into the future a bit, but that's how I see it playing out.

drowe
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
good plan PJ28! you can take over the team now.

EvilMonkey
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
agree with everything that's been said. I've already kinda given up on next year a while ago and want us to start planning for 2010. I'm fine with us just seeing what we have with some guys next year. Go into spring training with an open closer competition between McClung and Pena and hope one of them can be a closer for a few years. Trade for Melky and hope he turns it around, if not hopefully Lorenzo Cain can be ready by 2010. I guess keep Rickie and maybe Macha and Randolph can finally get him to develop. Trade Prince after next year or at the deadline, depending on how the team is doing. We still need to trade for some starting pitching, but there are some guys available who we can maybe give a shot (I know Pirates had talked about Ian Snell being on the block). Still, too early to write off next year, but it isnt looking great and planning for the future is probably the way to go.

princefielder28
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
The Brewers have had discussions with John Smoltz, Randy Wolf, Randy Johnson, and Jamie Moyer.

drowe
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
The Brewers have had discussions with John Smoltz, Randy Wolf, Randy Johnson, and Jamie Moyer.

why? are we starting a shuffleboard league?

princefielder28
12-11-2008, 06:47 PM
why? are we starting a shuffleboard league?

I wouldn't mind Smoltz or Wolf; Smoltz could really teach Yo and Manny alot

GB12
12-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd be quite pleased to get Moyer. Definitely do not want Smoltz or Wolf.

EvilMonkey
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
only guy i wouldnt want is Wolf who'd want multiple years for sure. Fine with moyer, RJ, or Smoltz.

EvilMonkey
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Cameron deal is dead
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36339534.html

EvilMonkey
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Brewers sign Trot Nixon and Chris Duffy
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36391459.html

Both lefty bats, cant hate the moves or anything. More really low risk stuff that could work out. Trot could be a nice lefty bat if he can regain some of his old form and Duffy has some speed and could be a decent 5th OF maybe, probably gonna be in the minors in my opinion, but who knows.

princefielder28
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I like the Trot Nixon addition...Duffy has no chance of making on the major league roster

the_legend_killer
12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Duffy will become Laynce Nix 2K9.

EvilMonkey
12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I like the Trot Nixon addition...Duffy has no chance of making on the major league roster

ehh, Duffy was hurt last year I guess so I'm still hoping he can be useful. His speed will be nice. I'm not really holding out for either of them making the roster, but both definitely be fill-in call-ups for us sometime this year.

Both probably will sit in the minors like Jay Gibbons did this year, but I wouldnt completely write off Duffy just yet. I say that just because I am hopeful he can make it so I dont have to see TGjr's like .280 OBP or whatever it is at any point this year.

umphrey
12-19-2008, 02:41 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28298642/

That is why it's so hard to get excited about baseball. If we get lucky and find a good pitcher in the draft it still won't bring us anywhere near what the Yankees and a quarter billion dollars can do.

Whistler6
12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
It's a sad day when I have absolutely no reason to wear/keep my Sabathia jersey. Sure dumb to buy in the first place, but mannnnn the Yankees?

And I've already kind of made peace that the Crew will hover around .500, be somewhat competitive, but end up towards the bottom on the Central this next season. How do they compete with the likes of the Cubs without Sabathia, Sheets, etc?

"The draft won't bring us anywhere near what the Yankees and a QUARTER BILLION DOLLARS CAN DO" ---> absolutely true
=(

EvilMonkey
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Braden Looper apparently "close to signing with the brewers"
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/cafardos-late-1.html

I guess he's always been decent and maybe could get moved back to the pen where he was ok too. I'm sure he wants to remain a starter though and chose Milwaukee since he will probably get a chance here. I guess I've just talked myself into this while typing as long as it's not a terrible deal. Short term and for a fair price and I'm good with it.

the_legend_killer
12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I have no problem with Braden Looper being a Brewer. As long as they didn't overpay, I like the idea.

Whistler6
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
It's not all star signing, but kind of what we as Brewer fans have to accept and be happy with. There's really no one out there worth throwing a ton of money at anyway... That, and the Brewer's don't seem to be willing to spend big now that CC is off the market.

If the young guys continue to develop they can be competitive, but I doubt we challenge for the division. I will be watching every game and every inning either way. Ah well. Go Crew

EvilMonkey
12-22-2008, 12:37 AM
well, looking at old Looper rumors, he wants somewhere in the $6-6.5 mil per year. I guess I could be ok with that as long as the deal isnt that long. 2-3 years I'm fine with it, anything over that and it gets scary.

Also, saw that Fuentes price tag has just plummeted and apparently he might be willing to take a 3 year deal in the $15-18 deal range. If that's true, sign him immediately. Even if he regresses a bit or something, he'll still be awesome against lefties and a tradeable piece barring a complete collapse or something.

I'd take both these guys for 3 years $18 mil and hope Looper can be decent and get innings and Fuentes can be a competent closer.

Potential Lineup
1B - Prince
2B - Rickie (praying Randolph and Macha can get him to finally turn the light on)
SS - JJ
3B - Hall/Lamb platoon (ugh, wish JJ would move here and alcides to short but dont see it happening right away)
LF - Braun
CF - Cam
RF - Hart
C - Kendall

SP - Yovanni
SP - Parra
SP - Looper
SP - Bush
SP - Suppan?

Bullpen of Coffee, Julio?, Riske?, Villy, Stetter, McClung, Fuentes

I'm still not super-thrilled about it or anything and a couple more pieces would obviously help, but I think that is at least a very capable team.

umphrey
12-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Agreed I wish we could have traded Cameron though

EvilMonkey
12-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Agreed I wish we could have traded Cameron though

yeah, i'd be willing to trade Cam, Hall, and Soup for a bag of balls just to dump their salaries. At least Cam is just for one year and we know what we're getting with him.

Whistler6
12-22-2008, 12:54 PM
yeah, i'd be willing to trade Cam, Hall, and Soup for a bag of balls just to dump their salaries. At least Cam is just for one year and we know what we're getting with him.

Hah, like that one minor leaguer who got traded for some amount of bats. I would do the same with Suppan. ALL I can hope for now is either he puts up good numbers and some team bites on him around the trade deadline, or he agrees to take a 98% pay cut and becomes the Crews batting practice pitcher.

yuck.

The Cameron salary hurts, but like you said atleast we know he'll give 25 HR's, 80 RBI's and solid D... All while batting .235-.240 and K'ing 1-2 times per game
=|

GB12
12-23-2008, 06:46 PM
So, the Yankees signed Tiexiera today. Why does it matter to us you ask? Because it completely ***** us over. The Yankee's first rounder that was supposed to go to us now goes to the Angels and we get New York's second.

**** the Yankees.

tjsunstein
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM
So, the Yankees signed Tiexiera today. Why does it matter to us you ask? Because it completely ***** us over. The Yankee's first rounder that was supposed to go to us now goes to the Angels and we get New York's second.

**** the Yankees.

It also sets an expectation for up and coming first basemen contract wise. I, being a Phils fan, can only imagine Ryan Howard's asking price in two years.

Whistler6
12-24-2008, 12:11 AM
400 million+ the Yankees have committed to 3 players.. Makes me want to throw up

tjsunstein
12-24-2008, 04:52 PM
400 million+ the Yankees have committed to 3 players.. Makes me want to throw up

Why? Throwing money around doesn't guarantee you a championship. It sells out a stadium and brings in billions of profit from their new resources but nothing is guaranteed.

EvilMonkey
12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Why? Throwing money around doesn't guarantee you a championship. It sells out a stadium and brings in billions of profit from their new resources but nothing is guaranteed.

sure as hell doesnt hurt your chances...

As a fan of a small-market team who needs to do things nearly perfect to win a ring and has been in the playoffs once in 26 years, i think the hatred of the biggest of the big boys and their ability to buy a winning team is justifiable.

tjsunstein
12-24-2008, 06:20 PM
sure as hell doesnt hurt your chances...

As a fan of a small-market team who needs to do things nearly perfect to win a ring and has been in the playoffs once in 26 years, i think the hatred of the biggest of the big boys and their ability to buy a winning team is justifiable.

Sure doesn't hurt their chances but they have degressed in playoff success since their loss to the Marlins in the World Series in 2003.

Missed the Playoffs. LOL.

Cleveland Indians ALDS 1-3

Detroit Tigers ALDS 1-3

Los Angeles Angels ALDS 2-3

Minnesota Twins ALDS 3-1
Boston Red Sox ALCS 3-4

Minnesota Twins ALDS 3-1
Boston Red Sox ALCS 4-3
Florida Marlins World Series 2-4

As long as they bring in billions each years in profit then I see no problem with them throwing money around for the fact that it doesn't mean **** to me. They don't clinch a berth to the World Series just by signing prized pieces in the FA market. Look at their last couple FA pick ups. Giambi, Pavano, Igawa, Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown.

The era where they have dominated greatly was the one in which they developed their stars such as Bernie, Posada, Pettite, and Rivera. But they since took their prospects for granted and traded them away for big names and "instant success." (SeeThat success never came as seen by the recent playoff history. They became very successful, very profitable, in the position to sign these big names so they did. The only thing it really guarantees is a sold out stadium, even if tickets are $2,500 per game. There is still baseball to be played.

Whistler6
12-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Okay it doesn't win them a championship automatically, but it makes the Brewers, Marlins, Royals, and yes the cinderella Rays Irrelevant to the baseball world. Every year there will be that low paying team that comes out of nowhere and makes a run, but it's always a long shot.

The Brewers offered a 100 million dollars to a player and he refused because he said the Crew wouldn't be able to put the necessary pieces around him and he felt like he HAD to win every game. SO it's all about money..

EvilMonkey
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
alright, it has gotten to the point with Sheets still out there where i think we should try to retain him. He's 30 and with all the injury concerns scaring away other teams maybe he'd be more receptive now to a 1 or 2 year deal in the 12-15mil. per year range. Absolutely nothing new with the Crew lately, just getting bored. Anyone else have any ideas?

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
alright, it has gotten to the point with Sheets still out there where i think we should try to retain him. He's 30 and with all the injury concerns scaring away other teams maybe he'd be more receptive now to a 1 or 2 year deal in the 12-15mil. per year range. Absolutely nothing new with the Crew lately, just getting bored. Anyone else have any ideas?

who was the dude saying that Sheets would get 4-6 years 100-140 mil?

princefielder28
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
The New York Daily News speculates the Brewers are in the mix for free agent pitcher Derek Lowe.

Lowe has been reliable and effective since coming over to the NL and the Brewers could definitely use a top/middle of the rotation type guy like Lowe.

the_legend_killer
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Is the market coming down that much that Milwaukee would be looking to get a guy like Derek Lowe? Kinda figured that even over time he'd still be out of their price range.

Whistler6
01-06-2009, 01:29 AM
After the Crew shelled out 10 million bones to the likes of Eric Gagne, I would gladly welcome them offering as much or a couple million more to either Sheets or Lowe.. They have to spend money somewhere.. don't they?

Hmmm but yes you are right, very boring lately

the_legend_killer
01-06-2009, 08:14 AM
You aren't excited still excited by R.J. Swindle?!?!?

EvilMonkey
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Brewers targeting Hoffman
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37143694.html

nothing imminent but Melvin has said he is interested in Hoffman. Wouldnt mind a one-year deal for him.

edit: finally some rumors flying around again after a long break
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/brewers-not-in.html

brewers not in on Lowe, Mulder, Perez, or Garland but could resign Sheets

Whistler6
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
You aren't excited still excited by R.J. Swindle?!?!?

Ah, your right. He and signing Capuano to a minor league deal are enough to keep me excited until spring training

hah.

princefielder28
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
The Brewers are going to keep a close eye on former Nationals' closer Chad Cordero. He won't be healthy enough to be ready for the start of the season, but if some point at the end of this upcoming season or the beginning of the '10 season, he can return to his former self, then a team may have themselves a reliable option in the pen.

The Brewers seem to be pursuing Trevor Hoffman more aggressively than the Dodgers.

GB12
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Last I heard the offers were pretty similar.

Whistler6
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
It's damn near possible for any sort of big name to "settle" in Milwaukee..especially a future hall of famer who wants a chance to win before his arm gives out. Everyone wants to be near a big city, on the coast, or a chance to win the World Series each year. Sucks, but the Brewers don't really offer any of those...

drowe
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
*******before reading the below statement, i must inform you that nobody died and Uecker isn't going anywhere. I just realized how the first sentence might sound if you don't know what is coming*********

Very sad news. not sure if it's public yet, but, my friend is a broadcaster and he just got a notice that the Brewers Radio Network will be posting an open position for the #2 play by play announcer as Jim Powell is leaving to join the Atlanta Braves broadcast team.

princefielder28
01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Last I heard the offers were pretty similar.

He is expected to make his decision tomorrow

Boston
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
*******before reading the below statement, i must inform you that nobody died and Uecker isn't going anywhere. I just realized how the first sentence might sound if you don't know what is coming*********

Very sad news. not sure if it's public yet, but, my friend is a broadcaster and he just got a notice that the Brewers Radio Network will be posting an open position for the #2 play by play announcer as Jim Powell is leaving to join the Atlanta Braves broadcast team.

God damnit, I was hoping this wouldn't go through. Powell's one of the best, and a perfect pair for Uecker.

EvilMonkey
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
He is expected to make his decision tomorrow

well, we dont have a Broxton here breathing down his neck so hopefully he takes the guaranteed closer role and signs with us.

edit: just posted on JSonline. we're the favs according to them
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37250149.html

EvilMonkey
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
we get Hoffman
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html
(tons of articles, just posted the blog link)

1 year, 6 mil. No Option for year 2, strictly a 1 year thing. Not as risky as the Gagne signing. Yeah, Hoffman struggled at the start of last year but he was good at the end and know the national league well and everything. I love the signing. A little bit of starting pitching and some smart trade maneuvers and we cna have a nice team next year.

GB12
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Great signing. $6 million for Hoffman is so much better than $10 million for Gagne I can't even express it in words. I wish we would have gotten the option because I think he'd be good for two years, but at least we have a closer again.

sdpads24
01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I will always love Trevor as a lifelong padres fan, but you will all hold your breath when he pitches. He always makes a save scenario interesting. I wish you guys the best of luck with him and hope he can help you in a playoff run.

Whistler6
01-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I will always love Trevor as a lifelong padres fan, but you will all hold your breath when he pitches. He always makes a save scenario interesting. I wish you guys the best of luck with him and hope he can help you in a playoff run.

I will gladly hold my breath for Hoffman and his 6 mill over Gagne and 10 mill..

TheBuffaloBills
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I know Trevor, he wouldn't move his family and everything at the end of his career just to play for no reason. He wants to win. He is a great guy to have in the locker room, teaches the young guys, and he is still a great player.

I am looking forward to go to a Brewer game in the summer.

princefielder28
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Brewers avoid arbitration with JJ Hardy, one year, $4.65 million dollar deal

GB12
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Gbae Kapler signed with Tampa bay for $1 million. I'm a little dissapointed we didn't keep him.

Whistler6
01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Brewers avoid arbitration with JJ Hardy, one year, $4.65 million dollar deal

Couldn't be happier. He is a consistant player in a realllllllllllllllly inconsistent lineup. I wish the Brewers would lock him up for several years, but you can tell they will dangle him if they aren't in contention late this season.

And it's a bummer about Kapler, especially finding out he went for 1 million.

EvilMonkey
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
my dream rest of the offseason, trade cam and prince for starting pitching, sign Dunn to play 1B or RF with Hart in center.

Whistler6
01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
my dream rest of the offseason, trade cam and prince for starting pitching, sign Dunn to play 1B or RF with Hart in center.

Adam Dunn? Ahh yuck.. The Crew strikes so so so much as it is, I would literally pull out chunks of hair every game I had to sit through watching him K 2-3 times a game

the_legend_killer
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM

I wouldn't mind this. Not at all. My dream scenario of trading Fielder was to the Giants for Matt Cain/Jonathon Sanchez (Yeah, dream here, but it's my dream damn it) and Kevin Frandsen. Cain and Sanchez enter rotation, Frandsen starts at 2nd, sign Dunn. Rotation of Cain/Yo/Parra/Sanchez/Bush or Suppan. Lineup of Hart (He strikes out a lot, but I much much prefer him than Weeks at the top of the lineup)/Frandsen/Braun/Dunn/Hardy/1B or RF (Depending on Dunn)/Hall or Gamel/Kendall/Pitcher. That, or don't add Frandsen and get Ryan Freel somehow, or both. *Gets giddy* Freel/Frandsen/Braun/Dunn/Hardy/Hart/Hall or Gamel/Kendall/Pitcher. Again, just my dream.

EvilMonkey
01-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Adam Dunn? Ahh yuck.. The Crew strikes so so so much as it is, I would literally pull out chunks of hair every game I had to sit through watching him K 2-3 times a game

40 HR or more the last 5 seasons and a .381 career OBP. He's better than Prince and his asking price from what is rumored isnt that bad. If we're gonna have a slugger who's a butcher in the field, I'd rather have Dunn.

Whistler6
01-15-2009, 01:59 AM
40 HR or more the last 5 seasons and a .381 career OBP. He's better than Prince and his asking price from what is rumored isnt that bad. If we're gonna have a slugger who's a butcher in the field, I'd rather have Dunn.

Agree to disagree...

I respect that opinion and wouldn't be bummed out if that's how it worked out. I guess I just would miss seeing Prince bounce around the bases with a gigantic dip in his lower lip as he tries to decapitate the catcher at home plate.

Whistler6
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
The Brewers have signed Dave Bush to a 1-year, 4 million dollar deal. That's good news I suppose.

Um, exciting offseason?

princefielder28
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Scott Boras has submitted a $8 million dollar tag in arbitration for Prince, and the Brewers submitted a $6 million dollar tag.

Hart :: $3.8/$2.7
Weeks :: $2.8/$2.0

EvilMonkey
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Scott Boras has submitted a $8 million dollar tag in arbitration for Prince, and the Brewers submitted a $6 million dollar tag.

Hart :: $3.8/$2.7
Weeks :: $2.8/$2.0

usually teams meet right around the middle, I think those middle numbers would be reasonable but Prince will probably want a little more. Say $7.25 for prince, $3.3 for Hart, and $2.4 for rickie and i'll be happy. Just get them all in without incident, nothing is that far apart.

Whistler6
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Prince has from what we've seen kept the contract stuff under wraps. I think the guy deserves 8 million. He's an every day player, gets on base, hits homeruns, etc. Too bad put a weight limit in that contract.

EvilMonkey
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
mcclung signed for 1.6 mil as well today.

Whistler6
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
God dang it.. They are making it kind of obvious to the entire BASEBALL WORLD.

"Heyyyy we don't think we'll contend this season so we will sign all of our players (even the young ones) to 1 year contracts. So when we fall out of contention completely the players that are doing well will be freet agents at the end of the season so they are ALL trade bate mid-late summer. Here's our number."

Yeeeesh.

GB12
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
God dang it.. They are making it kind of obvious to the entire BASEBALL WORLD.

"Heyyyy we don't think we'll contend this season so we will sign all of our players (even the young ones) to 1 year contracts. So when we fall out of contention completely the players that are doing well will be freet agents at the end of the season so they are ALL trade bate mid-late summer. Here's our number."

Yeeeesh.
I take it you don't follow baseball too closely?

Whistler6
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I take it you don't follow baseball too closely?

Umm? If you have a player with a contract that expires after the season, many contending teams look at that player as possibly mid-season addition eg. CC. You don't see that happening with any Brewer players?

What about Carlos Lee?

I went to 14 games last season and watched every game I possibly could on TV while using my radio for the ones I couldn't (in lecture pit classes, etc.)

I breathe the Brewers.

princefielder28
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
The Brewers and the representatives for Prince Fielder are working on a two year deal....if they complete a deal it's expect to be around $20 mil

drowe
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
yup. deal done for prince. 2 years. 18 mil

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38154214.html

Whistler6
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090122&content_id=3765572&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

In this article, Doug Melvin and Attanasio chat and answer fan's questions.. It's interesting, because one person asked who will be batting lead off for the Brewers this season. They answered with " The plan is still to have Rickie [Weeks] lead off."

What does everyone think about that? I had a hard time sitting and watching many, many games start with 1 out and a K already in the book. Is it smart to give Weeks another season as lead off hitter? I guess he kinda gets the job by default with no one else really filling the role.

PACKmanN
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
http://brewerchatters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118

ready...set...go

princefielder28
02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
http://brewerchatters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118

ready...set...go

That left me speechless...is it valid?

Whistler6
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I won't believe a word until I hear about this from some place other than a "post" on Brewerchatters. Could be real, could be total bull.. But there are better ways to handle a situation than something like that. Hmmmmm.

princefielder28
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I won't believe a word until I hear about this from some place other than a "post" on Brewerchatters. Could be real, could be total bull.. But there are better ways to handle a situation than something like that. Hmmmmm.

I would say it's bull after thinking about it

GB12
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah I really seriously doubt that's real. The only thing that's keeping me from saying it's 100% BS is that it's pretty sad that someone would take the time to make up and write that.

the_legend_killer
02-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Totally agree. I'll call B.S. until I see more proof someplace else.

the_legend_killer
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090204&content_id=3797480&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Ramiro Mendoza and Chase Wright....WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!one

princefielder28
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090204&content_id=3797480&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Ramiro Mendoza and Chase Wright....WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!one

I like the Wright addition

princefielder28
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Brewers are set to sign Braden Looper

Rotation
Yovani Gallardo
Manny Parra
Dave Bush
Braden Looper
Jeff Suppan

umphrey
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
That's serviceable. Better than I expected. But our bullpen has to be good, I don't know who we kept, released, signed for in there.

I like Parra and Bush, and hopefully we have McClung around because he brings some stability.

Also are we bringing up anyone from AAA this year? I know we had a SS and 1B that people talked about a lot last year in our future plans.

drowe
02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
That's serviceable. Better than I expected. But our bullpen has to be good, I don't know who we kept, released, signed for in there.

I like Parra and Bush, and hopefully we have McClung around because he brings some stability.

Also are we bringing up anyone from AAA this year? I know we had a SS and 1B that people talked about a lot last year in our future plans.

well...i think the AAA guys that have the best chance of making the opening day roster are Mat Gamel-3B/1B, Alcides Escobar-SS, Angel Salome-C, and for pitchers, there is a smaller chance of seeing Alex Periard and Omar Aguillar.

Also, i like the Looper signing. we needed another starter for stability purposes. wonder if this means McGinger is back to starting the season in the 'pen.

princefielder28
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
well...i think the AAA guys that have the best chance of making the opening day roster are Mat Gamel-3B/1B, Alcides Escobar-SS, Angel Salome-C, and for pitchers, there is a smaller chance of seeing Alex Periard and Omar Aguillar.

Also, i like the Looper signing. we needed another starter for stability purposes. wonder if this means McGinger is back to starting the season in the 'pen.

Escobar has the best shot of anyone to make the opening day roster due to his defense. I think we'll see Salome in the second half of this season because next year he'll be expected to be the guy. Gamel's defense is too poor to think he'll be up this year, and I think he'll end up as the team's 1B long term.

drowe
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Escobar has the best shot of anyone to make the opening day roster due to his defense. I think we'll see Salome in the second half of this season because next year he'll be expected to be the guy. Gamel's defense is too poor to think he'll be up this year, and I think he'll end up as the team's 1B long term.

i bet we'll see Gamel during our first AL series as a DH.

princefielder28
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
i bet we'll see Gamel during our first AL series as a DH.

oh yeah, i could defintely see that

GB12
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think any of them will be on the roster opening day. Escobar, Gamel, and Salome should be looking to make it and start 2010. Escobar could be ready for the majors midseason, but unless we make a move there's nowhere to put him and we wouldn't waste his service time as a bench player.

Whistler6
02-09-2009, 11:35 PM
The Brewers are reportedly very close to signing Braden Looper..Good move?

the_legend_killer
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes it is. A rotation of Yo/Soup/Parra/Bush/Looper isn't a barnburner, but it's not bad either. Besides, McClung is much better in the pen than as a starter.

drowe
02-10-2009, 08:51 AM
yes. i like the Looper signing. his 199 innings in 2008 would've led the Brewers. we need guys like that. it improves the rotation with McLung teaming up with Villenueva for the front half of the bullpen..and I really think Hoffman is an upgrade for the 9th inning. If somebody can emerge as an 8th inning guy, I would almost say I like our 'pen this year. ALMOST.

the_legend_killer
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
The big question in the bullpen is whether Stetter can step up and be the lefty. Shouse showed he could get out lefties, but didn't want a one year deal.

princefielder28
02-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Brewers claimed Nick Green off waivers from the Angels. I like the move because he has the stuff to be an emergency starter if the Brewers' staff suffers injuries.

princefielder28
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Bill Hall is out 4-6 weeks with a partial tear of his left calf muscle

rumfinator
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Did Bill Hall ever get eye surgery this off season so he doesn't have to wear contacts?

drowe
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Did Bill Hall ever get eye surgery this off season so he doesn't have to wear contacts?

yeah, he did.

Whistler6
02-13-2009, 09:00 PM
This season is gonna be incredibly exciting.. We get to trot (in no particular order) Jeff Suppan, Braden Looper, and Dave Bush in consecutive days to the mound. The battle of the batting practice, 12 game winners... Woo hoo. Jk I kid

rumfinator
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
yeah, he did.

I was really hopeful that the eye surgery helps him this year. He won't have to fiddle around with them as much and will get less dirt on them.

Now he has to deal with getting healthy. I have always really liked Bill Hall and would rather have him then Rickie Weeks at the moment. Hopefully he can rebound and have a nice season.

umphrey
02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Bill Hall is terrible and Weeks is too. I hope Hall the strikeout king gets cut.

the_legend_killer
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Bill Hall is terrible and Weeks is too. I hope Hall the strikeout king gets cut.

And still be on the hook for his big salary? Hope all you want, but prepare for the Hopelash when it doesn't happen.

Whistler6
02-16-2009, 04:47 PM
If the Brewers can hold onto Hart, Fielder, Gallardo, etc until the likes of Suppan and Hall's contracts run out, they should be able to give them the money they deserve. Still, giving Rickie a pay increase to bat .235 and K twice a game was not smart. I'm hoping these young guys with "potential" realize that, and put together solid (full) seasons coming up here...

Now was that worth my 1,000th post? I'm not sure about that haha

rumfinator
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Bill Hall wasn't too good last year, but he is one hell of a team player. How many positions has he played? This might be the first time in a while that he is going into consecutive seasons with the same position.

I could not care less about Rickie Weeks, but Bill Hall is the one I want to see rebound.

the_legend_killer
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
If I had to choose, I'd say i'd rather see Weeks rebound and step up to be a good leadoff hitter. Then again, if Hall had a good year maybe they could find someone to deal him to, hmmmm..........

the_legend_killer
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/39739042.html

Brewers resign Gagne, to a minor league deal. I'm pretty excited.

princefielder28
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/39739042.html

Brewers resign Gagne, to a minor league deal. I'm pretty excited.

a little better bargain than last year

GB12
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
If this was 2002 we'd have an amazingly good duo in Hoffman and Gagne.

Whistler6
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
If Gagne makes the club, my 7th and 8th innings will consist of Maalox and Tylenol (extra strength).. I just don't know if I can suffer through belt hight 89mph meat another season. He saved 10/17 games...10 of 17!

Ah what am I saying. Nice guy, helped out in the community, wants to play for the Brewers. Give him a shot. Yayyy

princefielder28
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
If Gagne makes the club, my 7th and 8th innings will consist of Maalox and Tylenol (extra strength).. I just don't know if I can suffer through belt hight 89mph meat another season. He saved 10/17 games...10 of 17!

Ah what am I saying. Nice guy, helped out in the community, wants to play for the Brewers. Give him a shot. Yayyy

If Gagne makes the team, he'll have earned it; the team isn't handcuffed by his salary this year

RyanBraun8
02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
It seems everyone forgot how well he played in September to help make the play-off push. I think if he earns the spot then good for him. If he makes it and struggles, we send him down to AAA. No-Risk, Good Reward guy

Whistler6
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh no I didn't forget.. Nice guy, good teammate, helped out the commpunity, etc. I still resent the fact that he made 10 million dollars in 1 season to save 10/17 games and have an Era upwards of 5. Some people think aww how nice, he apologized to Melvin for not performing and being paid that 10 mil. I think it kind of make him out to be a wuss..

Come to camp throwing smoke (mid-90's), shave the birds nest off your face, and gosh dang it keep the ball DOWN and then we'll talk.

=)

GB12
02-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Brett Lawrie has moved to second base.

Get the **** out Rickie Weeks.

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Brett Lawrie has moved to second base.

Get the **** out Rickie Weeks.

Thank God!

Adios Rickie!!!!

GB12
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank God!

Adios Rickie!!!!
Next year is probably the earliest we'd see Lawrie up, but it's nice to know we have someone there for when we officially call Weeks a bust and move on.

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Next year is probably the earliest we'd see Lawrie up, but it's nice to know we have someone there for when we officially call Weeks a bust and move on.

Oh yeah I am aware of that and yes it is wonderful to have a replacement and don't have to invest anymore time or money in a player that hasn't produced.

RyanBraun8
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey im not goin to give up all hope on Weeks until this year if he doesn't preform. He has shown flashes of greatness so i'll give him one more chance

plus hey, Lawrie wont contribute for at least 2 seasons if not more. the guy has yet to hit professionally(hardly played in olympics) Taylor Green is closer and Iribarren is right there now if Weeks doesn't preform

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey im not goin to give up all hope on Weeks until this year if he doesn't preform. He has shown flashes of greatness so i'll give him one more chance

plus hey, Lawrie wont contribute for at least 2 seasons if not more. the guy has yet to hit professionally(hardly played in olympics) Taylor Green is closer and Iribarren is right there now if Weeks doesn't preform

Lawrie has traveled with the Canadian national team and has been using a wooden bat for years so he doesn't need to make that adjustment.

Whistler6
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Thing about Rickie is he has ALL the potential in the world. His tools are amazing. Didn't he break the batting average record his last year at Miami? He is fast, can steal bases, good range... But, and a big but, he needs to start making contact and get on base. .235 is unacceptable for a leadoff hitter especially when a large part of his outs are K's. If somehow Weeks and Hall pull it together this season (for an entire season), the Crew have a chance to compete.

They neeeeeeeeeed to score runs with the rotation they are throwing out there everyday..

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Rickie went to Southern University

Whistler6
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Rickie went to Southern University

My bad.. he batted .500 in 2003 at Southern. Point is, he was an exceptional hitter in college. It needs to start showing in the majors, and I am losing faith!

"...set an NCAA Division I mark with .473 career batting average ..."

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Just because lawrie doesn't need to adjust to wood bats doesn't mean he will be ready next year. There is a lot more stuff in baseball. Has he ever played 140 straight games? Is his defense perfect? Can he handle a long cold streak? I am a big fan of him and love his swagga as much as the next guy but it unrealistic to think that he is almost ready to be a big leaguer. Watch him take a pro at bat 1st LOL geeez

Rickies bro is the one who was the Miami star, but he has it all and it's time for him to put it all 2gether

jtsteward
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Lawrie has traveled with the Canadian national team and has been using a wooden bat for years so he doesn't need to make that adjustment.
The pitching Brett saw while with Canadian Junior National Team is not even on the level of AA pitching. The biggest transition Brett will see is between Single A (Appleton)/High A(Brevard County) and AA(Huntsville). It's really where you can see the jump in talent and who can hang with whom. I really can see Brett having a lot of success as a member of the Brewers, but his ETA in Milwaukee is probably Mid 2010 or Opening Day 2011.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
ha what a great broadcast.Im watchin the 6-25-05 game on FSN, the game Rickie and Price hit there first homers, Ryan Braun is in the box talking about being drafted, going to play rookie ball in Montana, and his mom running the sausage race. Its a fun one to watch again, except Okha blows. Prince 100 homers later, Braun before ever taking a pro at bat, and whrn everyone loved Weeks, not to forget Carlos Lee, Lyle Overbay, Damien Miller and Geoff Jenkins.

Braun says he sees himself as a mlb 3rd baseman but would be willing to move... lol

princefielder28
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Just because lawrie doesn't need to adjust to wood bats doesn't mean he will be ready next year. There is a lot more stuff in baseball. Has he ever played 140 straight games? Is his defense perfect? Can he handle a long cold streak? I am a big fan of him and love his swagga as much as the next guy but it unrealistic to think that he is almost ready to be a big leaguer. Watch him take a pro at bat 1st LOL geeez

Rickies bro is the one who was the Miami star, but he has it all and it's time for him to put it all 2gether

I know there's alot of those other components but for a good number of players their greatest adjustment to pro ball is the switch from metal to wood.

drowe
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
ha what a great broadcast.Im watchin the 6-25-05 game on FSN, the game Rickie and Price hit there first homers, Ryan Braun is in the box talking about being drafted, going to play rookie ball in Montana, and his mom running the sausage race. Its a fun one to watch again, except Okha blows. Prince 100 homers later, Braun before ever taking a pro at bat, and whrn everyone loved Weeks, not to forget Carlos Lee, Lyle Overbay, Damien Miller and Geoff Jenkins.

Braun says he sees himself as a mlb 3rd baseman but would be willing to move... lol

hah. yeah, i saw that broadcast a couple weeks ago. it was very entertaining. what ever happened to Trent Durrington?

Whistler6
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
The Crew just put up 17 runs in today's spring training game. If we can do that day in and day out, who cares that the 3 of our top 5 starters would be batting practice pitchers on any other team (Bush, Suppan, Looper)...

=)

roidrunner
03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
well at least our offense is putting up some decent numbers, but at the same time it is spring training.....

Whistler6
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
The guy pitching for Canada right now and who just got Wright out with the bases juiced was a 1st round pick for the Brewers. High 90's fastball, good off-speed pitches. Dang man, he looks good. Played A ball last year, and he's bringing it!

And the Crew are on WGN right now too.

Whistler6
03-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow pitched out of a no-out, bases loaded jam. Like the guy said, "remembe the name"... Haha even though I already don't remember it

the_legend_killer
03-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Anyone else see the Micah Hoffpaur "sack tap" on Zambrano? WTF!??!

umphrey
03-08-2009, 05:02 AM
No what happened?

the_legend_killer
03-08-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3B4Pltad8

Whistler6
03-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Haha, he had to have been reaching for his butt which doesn't really sound any better.. But ahh umm akward?

Sack tapping aside, it's time for Prince and Rickie to show signs of life!

princefielder28
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Haha, he had to have been reaching for his butt which doesn't really sound any better.. But ahh umm akward?

Sack tapping aside, it's time for Prince and Rickie to show signs of life!

yeah, Prince and Rickie do need to start heating up a bit and finding their stroke....Seth McClung is the Brewer, at the moment, that is really losing a chance on this team. With injuries to Looper and Gagne he has had a real strong chance at making the squad but everyone of his outings has been awful.

princefielder28
03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Eric Gagne has been released...no suprises here after the injury

Whistler6
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
"I am sorry for taking 10 million to be absolutely terrible last season. And again, now I am sorry for resigning and giving you hope I might be able to produce this season. I loved my stay in Milwauke, you gave me 10 million reasons to sign here..err."

princefielder28
03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I know it's early in spring training but right now I think the bullpen would look like this....

Tim Dillard
Mitch Stetter
Chase Wright
Todd Coffey
Mark DiFelice
Carlos Villanueva
Trevor Hoffman

Boston
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Paul Coffey? Do you mean Todd Coffey, or have I not been paying attention at all this offseason?

princefielder28
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Paul Coffey? Do you mean Todd Coffey, or have I not been paying attention at all this offseason?

yeah, i have a tendency to do that....it's baseball, not hockey

Whistler6
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
The Hewbrew Hammer knocked one out of the park in the WBC today. Props.

(Ryan Braun)

princefielder28
03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Jeff Suppan will start the opener with Yo and Manny following him in the opening series.

EvilMonkey
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Jeff Suppan will start the opener with Yo and Manny following him in the opening series.

that really dashes my hopes of him somehow not making the team so I don't have to deal with watching him suck half the year.....

Whistler6
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Jeff Suppan is not an ace. He has not pitched anywhere near the level of a #1 or #2 starter, and I don't think he should be treated like one. I know he has the veteran leadership and is kind of day 1 starter by default... But Gallardo is clearly our best pitcher, and treat him like the ace he has the potential to be.

Whistler6
03-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Anyone getting excited about Looper yet? Today was magical..

=|

princefielder28
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Thankfully Mike Lamb will not be with the Crew this season....looks like Casey McGehee has earned his spot on the roster

A Rodgers12
03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Braun left the game in the second, with what looks like a jammed finger on a misjudged fly ball. X-Rays negative though, so I'm good.

Whistler6
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Braun left the game in the second, with what looks like a jammed finger on a misjudged fly ball. X-Rays negative though, so I'm good.

I think I read thumb..
=|

Thumbs can linger, and that would crush me. If the Brewers are going to win this year, they need to hit hit hit. Without Braun for a period of time, things could get bad really quickly. Let's hope just a jammed finger and a day off.

princefielder28
04-02-2009, 11:46 AM
The team will be making their final roster decision today between three outfielders, keeping two. Brad Nelson, Chris Duffy and Tony Gwynn Jr. are the three and I believe Gwynn will end up being the odd man out.

A Rodgers12
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Gwynn has to be one of the biggest dissapointments in recent memory.

GB12
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Gwynn has to be one of the biggest dissapointments in recent memory.
Not really. He's not a major league player and we found that out years ago, but I don't see how he's such a big dissappointment. Unless you were expecting him to be like his dad.

the_legend_killer
04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
If Tony's last name is Smith we're not having this discussion. Duffy and Nelson should be the OF's, plain and simple.

GB12
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Gwynn was the one left out and was placed on waivers. He passed through waivers and will be in Nashville now. That means that the other 29 teams also don't think he is a major league player.

Whistler6
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, some players were born to be major leaguers and some were meant to play "professional" minor league baseball. I can bet Tony Gwynn Sr. is just as proud of his son as a star AAA player that if he were a fill-in major league baseball player.

It's gotta be hard to live up to the name Tony Gwynn, but Jr. will be just fine.

A Rodgers12
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I never expected TGJ to live up to his dads stature, I just hoped he was going to pan out to be a very good leadoff hitter/stolen base player for the crew that we've sorely lacked. That would also enable Rickie to be put in a better spot in the linup, maybe the 2 slot in front of Braun, or the 5 slot in between Prince and JJ. He's a very good defensive outfielder, his bat just never made it up to par. I was shocked that he cleared waivers though, you would think at least one team would want him.

Whistler6
04-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I never expected TGJ to live up to his dads stature, I just hoped he was going to pan out to be a very good leadoff hitter/stolen base player for the crew that we've sorely lacked. That would also enable Rickie to be put in a better spot in the linup, maybe the 2 slot in front of Braun, or the 5 slot in between Prince and JJ. He's a very good defensive outfielder, his bat just never made it up to par. I was shocked that he cleared waivers though, you would think at least one team would want him.

We can hope, he's still really young..

With the guys that did make the team though, I am pretty optimistc the Crew will mash this season. They will hit themselves through a decent amount of wins, but the lack of pitching (quality) will spell doom down the stretch.

GB12
04-03-2009, 09:33 PM
We can hope, he's still really young..

With the guys that did make the team though, I am pretty optimistc the Crew will mash this season. They will hit themselves through a decent amount of wins, but the lack of pitching (quality) will spell doom down the stretch.
Tony Gwynn Jr. has no future in Milwaukee.

(And very likely all of MLB)

A Rodgers12
04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Sad, but true.

Whistler6
04-03-2009, 09:49 PM

If you read my previous post, I kind of acknowledged that. Was just bummed because he seems like one of the "good" guys

A Rodgers12
04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
If you read my previous post, I kind of acknowledged that. Was just bummed because he seems like one of the "good" guys

I agree, the way he carries himself remindes me a lot of his father.

princefielder28
04-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Opening Series Pitching Probables

TUES :: Jeff Suppan v. Tim Lincecum
WED :: Yovani Gallardo v. Randy Johnson
THURS :: Manny Parra v. Matt Cain

It'll be interesting to see how opening day goes and if Suppan can carry his ST success to the start of the season.

GB12
04-05-2009, 01:51 AM
They're really ******* around with the times in this series. Opening day is at 3:05, then Tuesday is 9:15, and Wednesday is 6:05.

princefielder28
04-05-2009, 01:55 AM
They're really ******* around with the times in this series. Opening day is at 3:05, then Tuesday is 9:15, and Wednesday is 6:05.

I can understand the first two starting times but the 6:05 one baffles me.

Whistler6
04-05-2009, 04:20 PM
So watching ESPN to avoid having to study for a couple exams, Baseball Tonight has intetresting stuff going on. According to accu score predictions, the Brewers have the 4th best chance in the NL to reach the World Series. Of the entire MLB, it says they have a 7.7% chance of getting there. Which is I think 8th of all teams.

Really? With all the bullpen issues and starting rotation? Hmm

drowe
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
3.5 hours until game time!!!!!!!

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Suppan vs Linceum. This could get ugly. Since San Fran is not the best hitting team, if we keep it close we can pull it out late. We need to bounce Linceum, because he can throw 8 innnings and 12 k's like it's little league.

The 1st 3 pitchers we are facing this season will give us a glimpse of how good the Crew are going to be....some solid pitchers.

Game day baby!

princefielder28
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I am so excited!!!!!!

GB12
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Suppan vs Linceum. This could get ugly. Since San Fran is not the best hitting team, if we keep it close we can pull it out late. We need to bounce Linceum, because he can throw 8 innnings and 12 k's like it's little league.

The 1st 3 pitchers we are facing this season will give us a glimpse of how good the Crew are going to be....some solid pitchers.

Game day baby!
We beat up Lincecum last year and the hitters in our lineup hasn't changed.

Speaking of lineups here they are:

Brewers
2B Rickie Weeks
RF Corey Hart
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
SS J.J. Hardy
CF Mike Cameron
3B Bill Hall
C Jason Kendall
RHP Jeff Suppan

Giants
RF Randy Winn
SS Edgar Renteria
LF Fred Lewis
C Bengie Molina
3B Pablo Sandoval
1B Travis Ishikawa
CF Aaron Rowand
2B Emmanuel Burris
RHP Tim Lincecum

I don't like that Hart and Hardy are switched. Hardy should stay in the two hole. There's aren't many good things I have to say about Yost, but his standard lineup was right.

princefielder28
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Suppan is earning that contract

drowe
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
the first hit and first RBI of 2009.........Jeff ************* Suppan. nice.

princefielder28
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
*thumbs up* We're going to get into the Giants' bullpen early

Packystan
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I miss Jim Powell :(

GB12
04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Rickie Weeks has been on base 3 times already today. I don't believe it.

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Rickie Weeks has been on base 3 times already today. I don't believe it.

Was JUST going to say that... If you gave me over/under 3 times on base in the 1st 2 games. I might have taken the under. Great to see.

Gosh does Suppan need a strikeout pitch though. He's the Brewers BP pitcher during practices isn't he?

Packystan
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Tie game baby!

Packystan
04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Suppan is such a joke, 12 million a year for this! We get him the lead and then he just gives it right back. Thanks a lot Suppan, I hope you prove me wrong, but for some reason I just doubt it. Looks like Macha is just going to let him keep going, to eat up innings, great. This better not be a trend, his leash should be as long as his performance, not his contract.

GB12
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Suppan is such a joke...12 million a year for this! We get him the lead and then he just gives it right back...thanks a lot Suppan...I hope you prove me wrong, but for some reason I just doubt it. Looks like Macha is just going to let him keep going, to eat up innings...great...this better not be a trend, his leash should be as long as his performance, not his contract.
I'm pretty sure we just wanted him to get through that inning so we could pinch hit for him without having to do a double switch.

Packystan
04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Jeff Suppan is coming to the plate....and I just shot myself.

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure we just wanted him to get through that inning so we could pinch hit for him without having to do a double switch.

Yes. And there are 160 some games left, relax Packystan. I hate watching Suppan just as much as the next guy and wish we could do something about the 12 million he is scamming the Brewers for. But, we can't. Soooo let's just sit back and hope the Brewers out-hit their competition when he's on the mound.

GB12
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Jeff Suppan is coming to the plate....and I just shot myself.
I'm not saying this as an insult, but how long have you been watching baseball?

Packystan
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I do like the overall approach the team has taken so far at the plate in this game. It looks like Svuem's preaching of working the count, and better pitch selection has sunk in so far.

princefielder28
04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Seth McClung sucks! I don't know why he continues to get chances. I know he's got a hot fastball but he seems to be a roller coaster ride everytime he's in the game.

Packystan
04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
When Seth comes out of the pen and tops out at 94, that usually means something is wrong. Not to mention the fact that his control was nonexistant. When his fastball is hitting 96-98, and he's hitting his spots, he can successful.

princefielder28
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Bill Hall and his attempts to pull the baseball

FAIL

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Bill Hall and his attempts to pull the baseball

FAIL

JJ Hardy does the same.

Boston
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Well, this could be a long year...

drowe
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM
meh. i had low expections. i figured a road win against the cy young winner was a lot to ask for...but, when they chased lincecum after 3 innings, i thought we were on to something. well, jeff suppan sucks. we've gotten all we're gonna get out of that no talent ass clown.

the_legend_killer
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Here's to hoping that with our ace going today we can get a win.

drowe
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's to hoping that with our ace going today we can get a win.

hey, i just want to see some homers....something resembling major league pitching wouldn't hurt either.

the_legend_killer
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't mind the homers as much as the pitching team not showing up at all.

princefielder28
04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Always good to see Rickie and Corey coming out and looking to pull the baseball :(

princefielder28
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Cameron = 1st HR of the year!

Boston
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
And Rickie put on some weight during the offseason, of muscle...on purpose.

Brian Anderson, starting off strong.

umphrey
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
wthell? I stopped watching for 1 inning and it says we scored on a 3 run hr by yovahni gallardo. can someone please tell me wth happened?

GB12
04-08-2009, 10:46 PM
wthell? I stopped watching for 1 inning and it says we scored on a 3 run hr by yovahni gallardo. can someone please tell me wth happened?
Yovani Gallardo hit a 3 run HR.

umphrey
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
damn thats crazy i wish i had stayed by the tv for one more inning

if not for cameron our 1st hit and 1st homerun would have been hit by different pitchers

Whistler6
04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
damn thats crazy i wish i had stayed by the tv for one more inning

if not for cameron our 1st hit and 1st homerun would have been hit by different pitchers

So Gallardo chases Randy Johnson off the mound, who woulda thought? Gallardo looked really solid tonight until that 7th innning. The last 15 mins were hard to watch, but thankfully Coffee put an end to that. WHEW! We need to score a couple more, because I am not really confident in Carlos V closing out a 2 run game.

Playoffs, winning record, losing record, I don't even care... I am thrilled to be able to watch these young guns try and put it together this season. Young meaning older than me, haha, still should be a fun season.

badgerbacker
04-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Does Corey Hart's hair somehow seem even more blond this year? I swear it looks like it's bleached.

the_legend_killer
04-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Mr. Coffee came through big time.

the_legend_killer
04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
V looked damn good. Good win for the Crew.

princefielder28
04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Carlos closes the game....BREWERS WIN!

umphrey
04-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Chalk up the win to Gallardo, he really earned it. Overall, very solid pitching performance. Everyone stepped up except for Stetter.

yodabear
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Time for a geeky broadcast question, where is Davey Nelson. This Augie dude couldn't carry Nelson's jock strap! And he sounds too much like Barry Melrose.

drowe
04-09-2009, 06:26 AM
awesome. i went to bed right after Yo's homer. glad i didn't miss any offense.

looks like an awesome outing by Gallardo. he basically won that game by himself.

really nice to see the bullpen put a nice couple innings together after the disaster opening day too.

Whistler6
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Does Corey Hart's hair somehow seem even more blond this year? I swear it looks like it's bleached.

He gets it highlighted and feathered weekly. Gotta look good if your gonna wiff on sliders in the dirt the way he does.

princefielder28
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Looper starting out solid

Hart homer!

GB12
04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice finish.

Great game by Rickie Weeks. Good defensive play to save some runs, drives in the tying run, and scores the winning run. Today and opening day have looked very promising for Rickie. Maybe this is finally the year for him.

princefielder28
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Prince goes deep!

2-0

princefielder28
04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
JJ Hardy w/ a RBI single!

5-3

badgerbacker
04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
God, that's a bad way to end it.

Whistler6
04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Very, very frustrating. Unfortuneately... Everyone said, "the bullpen will be an issue". It is, and we have to live with it.

Time for the Crew's ACE Suppan to in this series tomorrow. Really?

princefielder28
04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Jeff Suppan makes me sad :(

the_legend_killer
04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Jeff Suppan, FML

Whistler6
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
When a guy is being payed 12 million per season, the Brewers are in a "no-win" situation. They can't cut him, they can't take him out of the rotation (pitches 175 innings consistently), and they can't put him in the bullpen.

He is a terrible pitcher. If he can throw 5 innnings and give up just 3 runs, it should be considered a successful outing. His fastball is bland, and his breaking balls don't buckle ANY knees.

I like the guy, but unless sommething out of the ordinary happens, we have to sit back and watch him alllllllllllllllll season. He's not going anywhere. Yikes.

princefielder28
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Kendall gets a hit!!!!!!

princefielder28
04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Corey Hart!!! Homer #3!!!!

5-1

drowe
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I Hart Corey.

GB12
04-13-2009, 08:11 PM
This interview is just painful.

GB12
04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Well I guess Yo had to out do Suppan.

princefielder28
04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Well I guess Yo had to out do Suppan.

YAY! We get to see the dynamite bullpen at work again

princefielder28
04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
2-12 w/ RISP

:(

yodabear
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
This interview is just painful.

Lol, yeah it was. U could tell Anderson or Schroeder did not know a fricking thing they were talking about.

princefielder28
04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Yovani will start Saturday and Suppan's next start will be pushed back to Sunday.

princefielder28
04-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Timely hitting again

:(

Boston
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I want to see the McClung that had to pitch in extras last year when he was scheduled to start the next day. Where'd he go?

the_legend_killer
04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
This team is a scary combo of untimely/poor hitting, pitchers that can't throw strikes and being outplayed on a daily basis. Tons of time to right the many wrongs, but still, it's not fun to see.

Whistler6
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I would really, REALLY like to go off on a rant about the team right now..But I won't do it.

Last year when everyone of my friends jumped off the bandwagon at the end of the season during that terrible slump, I trekked on with the other faithfuls.

Point is, I love the Brewers and will watch every game as closely as I do whether they are fighting for the division or struggling to stay out of the NL Central basement.

Either way though, the pitching has been flat out terrible. Suppan, Bush, Looper are the same pitcher. Teams are going to knock them around. Last year, we relied on Sheets and CC to pick the team up in the middle of a slump. Now it's Gallardo and I think it's too early for him.

If the Crew can score 7-8 runs "per" then they can win more than they lose, otherwise....long season. GO BREWERS.

drowe
04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
yeah, it's a bad start. a REALLY bad start.

either that, or we're all learning just how important Mike Maddux really was.....

princefielder28
04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah, it's a bad start. a REALLY bad start.

either that, or we're all learning just how important Mike Maddux really was.....

Not having Maddux may certainly have something to do with it and so far I have not been the biggest fan of Macha either. He doesn't have the energy or connection with the players that Yost created. The team seems to be going through the motions right now and part of play is a reflection of the manager.

GB12
04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Not having Maddux may certainly have something to do with it and so far I have not been the biggest fan of Macha either. He doesn't have the energy or connection with the players that Yost created. The team seems to be going through the motions right now and part of play is a reflection of the manager.
The hitting has been there. We've had a much more balanced offense and a more effective offense than last year. We are scoring runs without having to rely on the home run, but the power is still there too.

The defense is there. For the most part it's been solid play all around defensively. Bill Hall has looked good at 3rd, Rickie Weeks seems to have improved.

The baserunning is better. Not only being more agressive on the basepaths, but being smart about it too.

The management of the game has been better. So far Macha has shown a much better ability of managing than Ned ever did. He's not perfect, but I don't really thing he is at fualt all that much. One thing I hate is that like Yost he won't pinch hit for Kendall late in games. That really gets me mad. We're down in the 9th inning with Kendall set to lead off, why the hell don't we pinch hit for him? Staying on the subject of catchers I like how he's giving Kendall more rest and Rivera more playing time. Pairing Bush and Rivera should work quite well. Suppan still being in the rotation is another thing that he has wrong, but it might not be completely up to him as we are paying him $12 million. Not that it's right to keep him in just because of the money, but Doug Melvin or Mark A. might be the one telling him to keep Suppan starting as that's a big investment and we just don't have that kind of money to be throwing around. For the most part Macha's been doing a fine job.

The thing that's not there is the pitching. Missing Sheets and CC has really hit us hard. We all knew that losing two all star starters would be a big blow, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I'm not worried about Gallardo, I'll dismiss that last outing because I know he'll straighten out. The rest of the rotation isn't looking too good though. Suppan has been just terrible and isn't even giving us innings. Parra looks like he could use another year as the #5 starter with limited innings. Looper might be a good pickup, we'll see with him. And Bush I think will be decent, but he's a back end starter. Then carry over the struggles to our bullpen and we're screwed. The number of walks we're giving up is just ridiculous. You don't really have a chance to win if you're giving up double digit walks. We had what, 4 runs in a row walked in that one night. That's pathetic.

The offense has been carrying their weight. The only place to point the blame is the pitching. In 4 of the 6 loses we've scored at least 5 runs.

drowe
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
well, i've said it before, but it seems like (and from the lack of offseason moves, management seems to agree) the team is built more for 2010 than 2009. i bet we trade JJ Hardy at the deadline for a pitching prospect or starting pitcher, call up Escobar, and then test the waters with Prince Fielder in the trade market. I think July could be an interesting month and when it's over, the 2010 Brewers could be something to get excited about.

but, i'm by no means saying that 2009 is a lost cause. new manager, pitching coach and most of the bullpen. growing pains aren't shocking to see.

drowe
04-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Dream Scenario:

1-Matt Gamel magically learns how to play defense and is an MLB ready third basemen by the end of the season.
2-JJ Hardy is traded for a stud pitching prospect with an MLB ETA of 2010.
3-Prince Fielder stays in Milwaukee
4-Jeff Suppan is traded at the deadline to a contender DESPERATELY needed veteran presence in the bullpen.
5-The Brewers make one big move in the offseason by signing a FA SP.

Whistler6
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Dream Scenario:

1-Matt Gamel magically learns how to play defense and is an MLB ready third basemen by the end of the season.
2-JJ Hardy is traded for a stud pitching prospect with an MLB ETA of 2010.
3-Prince Fielder stays in Milwaukee
4-Jeff Suppan is traded at the deadline to a contender DESPERATELY needed veteran presence in the bullpen.
5-The Brewers make one big move in the offseason by signing a FA SP.

Does Suppan still have 1 more year on his contract after this? If so (and regardless), I see NO contender wanting to touch Jeffrey with a 10 foot...scratch that 100 foot pole.

I really like JJ and would hate to see him go. Might be for the best though if the prospect under him keeps getting better. I'd rather see Cameron and his 10 million cap get traded.

Milwaukee got much more expensive this season, but they didn't get better...

drowe
04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Does Suppan still have 1 more year on his contract after this? If so (and regardless), I see NO contender wanting to touch Jeffrey with a 10 foot...scratch that 100 foot pole.

I really like JJ and would hate to see him go. Might be for the best though if the prospect under him keeps getting better. I'd rather see Cameron and his 10 million cap get traded.

Milwaukee got much more expensive this season, but they didn't get better...

yeah, 2009 is the 3rd year of Suppan's 4 year deal. i realize trading him wouldn't get much in return, but I just want him, his salary, his low 80s fastball and his stupid ass beard out of milwaukee.

i like Hardy too. but, i just him hanging around with Escobar and Gamel coming up. we're heavy on infielders and light on pitching. and all signs point to JJ being the odd man out.

the_legend_killer
04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade Hardy. I'm not too keen on trading an all-star, 20/80 SS who plays good defense for a prospect that may or not be ready. Escobar said he'd be willing to move positions, why not try that.

drowe
04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade Hardy. I'm not too keen on trading an all-star, 20/80 SS who plays good defense for a prospect that may or not be ready. Escobar said he'd be willing to move positions, why not try that.

yeah, i really would like to keep hardy too. ideally, he'd move to 3rd and escobar can play SS. but, Gamel is (hopefully) a third baseman too. i just don't see Hardy as a Brewer next year.

the_legend_killer
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I guess it rests on Hardy moving to 3rd then (in the past he said he wouldn't, but maybe a new contract would change his mind). I don't think Gamel can play 3B, but his bat really needs to play.

princefielder28
04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Depending on how things play out with Prince, I could see Mat Gamel's place coming at 1B.

Boston
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
The thing that's really annoyed me about the Brewers for the last 5 or so years is the fact that we've alway been 'next years team.' We're not good this year, but just wait 'till next year. We've really never had anything pan out with all this potential we have, and it's kind of disappointing. I know we went to the playoffs last year, and that was great-didn't really do much though-but now it seems like we're right back where we started with really nothing to show for it...

umphrey
04-15-2009, 07:30 PM
you didn't get your limited edition CC Sabbathia jersey?

GB12
04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Depending on how things play out with Prince, I could see Mat Gamel's place coming at 1B.
There's probably a 90% chance that Gamel ends up at first. Prince is going to get traded within 3 years, and that gives Gamel an spot. If Gamel is ready by next year and we haven't traded Prince yet he could start in the outfield, but then make his way to first when we do.
The thing that's really annoyed me about the Brewers for the last 5 or so years is the fact that we've alway been 'next years team.' We're not good this year, but just wait 'till next year. We've really never had anything pan out with all this potential we have, and it's kind of disappointing. I know we went to the playoffs last year, and that was great-didn't really do much though-but now it seems like we're right back where we started with really nothing to show for it...
Until something happens to level the playing field money wise that's how this team will always be. There's nothing we can really do about it.

princefielder28
04-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Good to see Rickie go oppo on a HR

princefielder28
04-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Mike Cameron having himself quite the game

Great to see!

GB12
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Well Looper has been impressive as a Brewer so far.

the_legend_killer
04-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Good to see the Crew recover tonight and get a w. Right now Coffey and DiFelice are the two most trustworthy guys coming out of the pen (Although I have trust in V., but I'm a big fan of his). Heading into the day off it's nice to see them not get swept before heading to New York.

umphrey
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Forgot about this game...can't say I'm too hyped about the Brewers this year but I like our offense and I wanted to see Looper pitch.

We have some good bullpen pitchers they just have to find their places. Villenueva, Coffey, DeFelice, McClung I think all do well when they keep their heads cool and aren't thrown into terrible situations. Getting Hoffman pitching will be a boost, and I think Riske is underrated, though don't expect too much out of him.

umphrey
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Cameron's been the star of the team so far. He might end up actually earning his contract, but he has to keep it up. I wanted him traded badly in the offseason. Has Braun even hit a HR yet?

Whistler6
04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
yeah, 2009 is the 3rd year of Suppan's 4 year deal. i realize trading him wouldn't get much in return, but I just want him, his salary, his low 80s fastball and his stupid ass beard out of milwaukee.

i like Hardy too. but, i just him hanging around with Escobar and Gamel coming up. we're heavy on infielders and light on pitching. and all signs point to JJ being the odd man out.

I hate everything about Suppan, completely agree. Sure he's a good guy and a good teammate, but he is not earning that money.

Whistler6
04-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I guess if they are going to lose 2/3, they might as well do it in style right?

drowe
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
yeah, really....quality start, great bullpen effort, timely hitting....that couldn't have been the Brewers.

Whistler6
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
A couple positives from the 1st 8 or so games...

Rickie is starting to look like an everyday player with taking pitches, getting on base, hitting the ball to opposite field, etc.

Cameron is hotter than hot, let's hope he can stay above .230 for an entire season

Braun and Fielder are going to hit, it's inevitable. If they can pick it up and Weeks, Cameron and the lot can keep hitting, they should score A LOT.

Looper actually looks like he is a viable starter who can give the Crew 6 innings per start. Much needed.

princefielder28
04-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Hell of a first inning for Bush

princefielder28
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Ryan Braun!!!! #1

4-3

umphrey
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Nice hitting by Braun! He's been mediocre so far this season but he stepped up that at bat. Down 3-1 hits a 3 run HR to take the lead. Line drive too, didn't look like a HR ball at all. When I saw the catcher move inside with the count at 1-2 I thought something big might be coming. First HR for Braun makes a big splash.

princefielder28
04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Todd Coffey continues to be solid out of the pen

Huge stop there

GB12
04-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Todd Coffey has been damn good. I used to make fun of the Reds for having him as their closer, but he's been very impressive with the Brewers. He should be the setup man for Hoffman.

umphrey
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Todd Coffey where was this guy last year? He's pitching lights out. Every pitch is low and outside either a strike or a close ball that tails away at the end. Batters are whiffing at strikes...