PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

GB12
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Melvin said shortstop prospect Alcides Escobar would start playing some second base at Class AAA Nashville to be ready in the event of another injury at that position.

"He'll play two days at second base, then one back at short," said Melvin. "We don't want him to lose his arm strength. The throws are different at second. He's a good athlete."

Melvin said farm director Reid Nichols joked that he'd bet a paycheck that
Escobar could make the transition in one day. That's how highly he is regarded as an athlete.
We'll probably be seeing Escobar up in July I'd guess.

princefielder28
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Bush gets out of a HUGE jam

princefielder28
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I was optimistic about this year, but I never thought this team would be playing this well this early on in the year.

Boston
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Is there any chance that Weeks can return later in the year, or has that been all but ruled out?

princefielder28
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Is there any chance that Weeks can return later in the year, or has that been all but ruled out?

I think it's been ruled out damn near 100%

Packystan
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I dont think Rickie is going to be able to make a comeback in the latter stages of the season like Gallardo last year. They say recovery time is 4-6 months, so if he's lucky and has a speedy recovery, that would probably put him back to September at best. Lets not forget that Weeks' first wrist surgery in 2006 had long lingering effects going into the 07 season. That incredible bat speed, and waggle doesnt help his situation either. Lets just hope he can completely bounce back next year.

Great team win tonight for the crew. The pitching continues to be lights out as we are second in the majors in with only 159 runs allowed. JJ stepped up big tonight with 2 hits and 2 rbi's, and Hoffman has just been incredible, 11 of 11, 0.00 ERA, Opponents BA 0.93, faced 2 batters over minimum. Stud closer.

Now we have Yovani on the hill tomorrow, I feel really good about this series :).

Just imagine how solid the pen would be if we had retained Shouse, and Torres didn't retire. I hope Doug goes out and really looks for a solid bullpen arm to really help solidify the pen. I still dont trust Julio, I think his control is to hot and cold. He has good stuff, he just hasn't shown the ability to throw strikes consistently over a long period of time.

Whistler6
05-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I dont think Rickie is going to be able to make a comeback in the latter stages of the season like Gallardo last year. They say recovery time is 4-6 months, so if he's lucky and has a speedy recovery, that would probably put him back to September at best. Lets not forget that Weeks' first wrist surgery in 2006 had long lingering effects going into the 07 season. That incredible bat speed, and waggle doesnt help his situation either. Lets just hope he can completely bounce back next year.

Great team win tonight for the crew. The pitching continues to be lights out as we are second in the majors in with only 159 runs allowed. JJ stepped up big tonight with 2 hits and 2 rbi's, and Hoffman has just been incredible, 11 of 11, 0.00 ERA, Opponents BA 0.93, faced 2 batters over minimum. Stud closer.

Now we have Yovani on the hill tomorrow, I feel really good about this series :).

Just imagine how solid the pen would be if we had retained Shouse, and Torres didn't retire. I hope Doug goes out and really looks for a solid bullpen arm to really help solidify the pen. I still dont trust Julio, I think his control is to hot and cold. He has good stuff, he just hasn't shown the ability to throw strikes consistently over a long period of time.

Stetter has replaced Shouse in an awesome way. I think letting Shouse go really boosted his confidence in saying, "You are our guy. Go get lefty's out."

Packystan
05-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Stetter has replaced Shouse in an awesome way. I think letting Shouse go really boosted his confidence in saying, "You are our guy. Go get lefty's out."

I agree. I just felt like Shouse was still effective, and would have been another adequate lefty for Macha to tool with. He would've also brought some extra veteran leadership, depth and experience to a pen that has a pretty good mix veterans and young players.

princefielder28
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Disappointed that I missed tonight's game, and I am even more disappointed that they lost.

Mat Gamel is the $hit though!

drowe
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
it's funny. after 7 wins in a row, i still get crabby after a loss. they gotta lose sometime. can't believe they almost pulled it out in the 9th though.

Whistler6
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Tonight is going to be a tough game to win... Suppan vs Oswalt. I think the Crew has actually beaten Oswalt a couple times recently, but his stuff is nastyyy

the_legend_killer
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
In an "Eh" Inspiring Move, the Brewers traded Tony Gwynn Jr. to the Padres for Jody Gerut, per JSonline.com

I've quite indifferent on this one.

GB12
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Tony Gwynn Jr. had no future with the Brewers, I'm cool with the trade. Gerut could be an upgrade over Duffy, so we gave up basically nothing for a possible upgrade.

princefielder28
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Tony Gwynn Jr. had no future with the Brewers, I'm cool with the trade. Gerut could be an upgrade over Duffy, so we gave up basically nothing for a possible upgrade.

I agree, we go with the upgrade at backup rather than waiting and hoping for Gwynn to reach any sort of potential.

Boston
05-21-2009, 08:54 PM
God Hall is so bad. I don't know why he's that player that we need to continue giving chances to, especially when we have Mat Gamel, swinging a hot bat, waiting in the wings.

yodabear
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
God Hall is so bad. I don't know why he's that player that we need to continue giving chances to, especially when we have Mat Gamel, swinging a hot bat, waiting in the wings.

I know I am a Cards fan and all, but couldn't u put Hall at second, or platoon him. Or give dudes in the outfield a dayoff if need be with Hall? Just make Gamel the everyday third basemen. Thats what I'd do, but I ain't Macha.

badgerbacker
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Gamel's defense must just be that horrendously bad.

Boston
05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I know I am a Cards fan and all, but couldn't u put Hall at second, or platoon him. Or give dudes in the outfield a dayoff if need be with Hall? Just make Gamel the everyday third basemen. Thats what I'd do, but I ain't Macha.

Hall was platooned last year and ended up demanding a trade. Obviously that never worked out, and so far this year Macha has guaranteed him the starting 3rd base job. That probably won't last for much longer, with the platoon being the likely option.

yodabear
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Gamel's defense must just be that horrendously bad.

Must be. However, if I have heard right, Gamel is a first basemen by trade. However, u guys have Prince, and I don't think he is or should go anywhere soon. So I think u only get better with experience and Gamel will get better if he just gets to be that guy. Braun was improving defensively at third in his rookie season, and now he is a gold glover (at least should be).

princefielder28
05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Must be. However, if I have heard right, Gamel is a first basemen by trade. However, u guys have Prince, and I don't think he is or should go anywhere soon. So I think u only get better with experience and Gamel will get better if he just gets to be that guy. Braun was improving defensively at third in his rookie season, and now he is a gold glover (at least should be).

I think Gamel will be the first basemen of the future because the contract problems with Prince will probably force them to move him. Taylor Green will be the 3B of the future then.

rumfinator
05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Very funny seeing Houston walk Gamel, a rookie, with runners on second and third. Not a bad call for Houston as they got Kendal to ground out, but funny to see none the less.

rumfinator
05-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, Gamel was always a third basemen...but PF did nail it on the head. Gamel will be our first basemen of the future and Taylor Green (now in AA) will be the third basemen.

princefielder28
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Hoffman gets it done again!

Boston
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm amazed how well our bullpen has done this year. Villy's been unhittable lately, Coffey's getting it done against righties, DeFelice has been throwin' the 82 MPH filth, Stetter's been dominant against lefties when he can throw strikes, McClung's been great after a rough start, and then Hoffman's been...running out of adjectives here...good?

Going into this season this was not looking to be a positive for us at all, but I think this far into the season it's been one of our main keys to success.

TitleTown088
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
In honor of the upcoming border battle.

http://infinitesearch.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/prince-fielder-r3.jpg

Keep in mind I come in peace. I actually like the Brew crew. It's hard not to.

Whistler6
05-22-2009, 02:27 AM
In honor of the upcoming border battle.

http://infinitesearch.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/prince-fielder-r3.jpg

Keep in mind I come in peace. I actually like the Brew crew. It's hard not to.

A couple buddies and I are heading to the entire series tomorrow. For my birthday, we are going to catch all 3 games and hopefully enjoy the nightlife-postgame. Hopefully Twins fans are more friendly than Cubs fans...ish.

The Twins always play the Brewers tough, especially Mauer who I don't think the Crew have ever been able to get out. Still, two competitive young teams battling for border pride. What else can you ask for?

Here's to some good interleague baseball (and not having to watch Suppan pitch live)

Whistler6
05-22-2009, 02:31 AM
And by the way, Tony G jr. scored the game winning run for the Padres tonight. Good luck to him, I wish the guy well.

drowe
05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
i can't believe they freaking won last night.

also, awesome double ejection.

drowe
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Swindle comin' up. Irabarren going down.

also, almost a lock that Duffy is released to make room for Gerut.

pretty fluid roster this year.

Whistler6
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Corey Hart's opposite field double in the 7th to give the Crew the lead was a thing of beauty. That is a pitch Corey *usually* strikes out on. Somehow he was able to poke it to right instead of looking to pull it.

Whether it was luck or not, it looked like he made an adjustment especialy because it was a 2-2 count. Great game.

badgerbacker
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
It's always nice to see Brewers taking pitches the other way. Hart and Hall seem to be the most frustrating to watch flail and miss at those pitches, so it's especially nice to see Hart start to figure it out.

drowe
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
here's an interesting read...

http://bases.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/22/2851371-jake-peavy-and-the-brewers-a-match-made-in-heaven?category=sports

basically saying the Brewers would be the perfect team for Peavy.

I would approve. not just because of Peavy's awesomeness...but, i'm thinking Alcides Escobar is one of those prospects i wouldn't mind unloading. he's just gonna come up and force Hardy or Weeks out of town. so, between a stud prospect who may or may not be the NEXT JJ Hardy, I'd rather just keep the young infield together and get an ace in the process.

princefielder28
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
here's an interesting read...

http://bases.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/22/2851371-jake-peavy-and-the-brewers-a-match-made-in-heaven?category=sports

basically saying the Brewers would be the perfect team for Peavy.

I would approve. not just because of Peavy's awesomeness...but, i'm thinking Alcides Escobar is one of those prospects i wouldn't mind unloading. he's just gonna come up and force Hardy or Weeks out of town. so, between a stud prospect who may or may not be the NEXT JJ Hardy, I'd rather just keep the young infield together and get an ace in the process.

As the season moves on and Alcides' offense continues to be average, I am more willing to part with him in a deal. Hardy is so good defensively and he has the power for his position, that I don't care to see him moved. I just wonder what pitching prospects we have to offer b/c the Padres are going to be looking for some arms.

Giantsfan1080
05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Peavy has been pretty average this year at best and I'd be worried when he's out of that park. His numbers are worse out of Petco the last 2 or 3 years.

Whistler6
05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
The fact that Peavy is owed so much money plus that 22 million option for what is it 2013? ...I think that makes the trade highly unlikely. Their payroll is already up there, so unless someone like Mike Cameron or Billy Hall was included I don't see it.

Would LOVE it however.

drowe
05-22-2009, 02:33 PM
The fact that Peavy is owed so much money plus that 22 million option for what is it 2013? ...I think that makes the trade highly unlikely. Their payroll is already up there, so unless someone like Mike Cameron or Billy Hall was included I don't see it.

Would LOVE it however.

perfect. will give 'em bill hall and alcides escobar.

TitleTown088
05-22-2009, 05:34 PM
A couple buddies and I are heading to the entire series tomorrow. For my birthday, we are going to catch all 3 games and hopefully enjoy the nightlife-postgame. Hopefully Twins fans are more friendly than Cubs fans...ish.

The Twins always play the Brewers tough, especially Mauer who I don't think the Crew have ever been able to get out. Still, two competitive young teams battling for border pride. What else can you ask for?

too bad you have to go to the damn metrodome. It's relatively fun because the twins play, but man is it a pile of crap. Can't wait for the new crib next season.

yodabear
05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
too bad you have to go to the damn metrodome. It's relatively fun because the twins play, but man is it a pile of crap. Can't wait for the new crib next season.

It is a pile, and not even close to Miller Park, and doesn't even belong in the same sentence. However, I am excited to go back to the dome one more time some time this summer. Prolly one of the all u can eat Tuesday games or something like that. But it will be nice to see the new stadium in Minnesota next season.

TitleTown088
05-22-2009, 07:25 PM
It is a pile, and not even close to Miller Park, and doesn't even belong in the same sentence. However, I am excited to go back to the dome one more time some time this summer. Prolly one of the all u can eat Tuesday games or something like that. But it will be nice to see the new stadium in Minnesota next season.

Yes it is. I believe you once referred to it as a 60,000 seat condom?

TitleTown088
05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Apparently the donuts were good luck?

Boston
05-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a feeling the Brewers are going to win this game. And by the way, I ******* hate Kevin Slowey. With a passion...

TitleTown088
05-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a feeling the Brewers are going to win this game. And by the way, I ******* hate Kevin Slowey. With a passion...

Because he combs his sideburns forward?

princefielder28
05-22-2009, 09:18 PM
This game kinda ruined my night

Boston
05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
It seems like the second Parra gives up a couple of runs he starts dwelling on it and pitches like ****. You would think he'd be over that by now...

TitleTown088
05-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I thought the brew crew was supposed to be good? :)

How good is Joe Mauer?

princefielder28
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Ugh, another game I had to work for and they lose again :(

The team always seems to struggle against no name pitchers or pitchers making their debut.

Whistler6
05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
The Twins are a solid team. The Brewers aren't all of a sudden "bad" by any means, but the Twins just match up so soooo well against the Crew.

After Parra got shelled I had a feeling it was going to be a long series. Looper (righty) going against Span, Mauer, and Morneau all lefty's IN A ROW was trouble waiting to happen.

I was at the Friday and Saturday games and it was all around hard to watch. Billy Hall's defense and hitting is..hmm what's the word, atrocious. He seems lost at the plate and unsure of where he wants to throw the ball when making a defensive play.

Gotta pull out the positives... Um, Prince continues to get on base, McGehee hit the ball hard 2 games in a row, and Counsell's defense is solid. That's about it. Salvage game 3 and I'm happy

Whistler6
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought the brew crew was supposed to be good? :)

How good is Joe Mauer?

Mauer and Morneau are probably the 2 hardest hitters to get out for the Brewers pitchers. They are patient, lefty's, and never make a bad swing. With right handed Looper in there throwing 87 mph fastballs, and less than spectacular offspeed....boom line drives.

Twins vs the Brewers is like the kryptonite to Superman. Weird comparison, but they are just everything the Brewers can't beat.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Twins vs the Brewers is like the kryptonite to Superman. Weird comparison, but they are just everything the Brewers can't beat.
A team with Suppan on the roster can be referred to as superman?

Whistler6
05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't mean it like the Brewers are "super"... My point was that the Twins are just a flat out terrible match up for the Crew. Discilpined and patient hitters, great defense, unmatched speed on the bases, lefty hitters, line drive base hits to ALL fields, etc etc.

Boston
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
It's been 4 days since we've hit a HR...

princefielder28
05-24-2009, 10:23 PM
It's been 4 days since we've hit a HR...

Prince and Cam took care of that tonight but we got swept :(

We did have a winning road trip though

Boston
05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Ouch. Can't say I'm in love with the fact that we have Hall, Counsell, and McGehee all in the starting lineup. When does JJ come back, and Rickie for that matter...

princefielder28
05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
The red hats look pretty sweet on the Crew

princefielder28
05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
This game is flying by

Whistler6
05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
A 10 inning game that is less than 2 1/2 hours..Wow, what a pitching duel.

Fun fact: I was looking at the attendance, and it said the stadium was 102.7% full today. Gotta love the Brewers fans supporting the team after getting swept just across the border.

Great win.

rumfinator
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
According to Tom Haudricourt, the brewers ran to the clubhouse to celebrate their win over the cardinals instead of untucking their shirts. You gotta love it!

princefielder28
05-25-2009, 08:08 PM
According to Tom Haudricourt, the brewers ran to the clubhouse to celebrate their win over the cardinals instead of untucking their shirts. You gotta love it!

Love to hear it! I'm starting to hate the Cards just as much as the Cubs.

yodabear
05-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Love to hear it! I'm starting to hate the Cards just as much as the Cubs.

That makes me sad....

Although I have had people tell me that. One is a buddy of mine who told me he hated the Cards more cuz we actually have won something in the last 100 years. Also, a dude telling my family how to get to Miller Park from Greendale at our hotel who told us he still hates the Cards the most cuz of what we did in 1982, aka, WE BEAT U IN THE SERIES!

yodabear
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
On a side note the dude who reported that is a ******* prick who voted Pujols 7th on his ballot last year and should have his vote taken away. And it wasn't like he was so good for u guys either. He had Braun like 9th, he had Fielder before any of them. He is a ******* idiot.

Whistler6
05-25-2009, 11:36 PM
On a side note the dude who reported that is a ******* prick who voted Pujols 7th on his ballot last year and should have his vote taken away. And it wasn't like he was so good for u guys either. He had Braun like 9th, he had Fielder before any of them. He is a ******* idiot.

You take your negativity and get the hell out...jk. After today's win I untucked everything and chest bumped my entire family at our Memorial Day bbq.

They might look like "showboats", but they are just a group of guys who are having fun together and love playing baseball.

Whistler6
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Pujols will win another 3 MVP's in his career, so I'm okay with him getting a low vote once in a while. He is a machine, it's true what ESPN says.

yodabear
05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
You take your negativity and get the hell out...jk. After today's win I untucked everything and chest bumped my entire family at our Memorial Day bbq.

They might look like "showboats", but they are just a group of guys who are having fun together and love playing baseball.

Truthfully, I could care less if the Brewers took off all their clothes after the game and went streaking. It isn't showboating IMO, it is showing that they are having fun and they aren't a bunch of stiffs. We kinda look like stiffs, rarely do u see us do anything like that. I wanna see more of that by my Cards.

Boston
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Our offense has been struggling since that series in Houston. Hopefully we can turn that around in the coming days.

princefielder28
05-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Suppan sucks :(

Whistler6
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Why do they always lay an egg when they get put on ESPN? You want the nation's attention, then freakkkkk'n show up when you get it!

On the bright side, the Crew is 4/4 against the Cards this year... Can't win every one

princefielder28
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Bill Hall is so bad that I am at a loss of words to describe his suckyness

Boston
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Bill Hall is so bad that I am at a loss of words to describe his suckyness

The sad thing is all he has to do is start hitting the ball to the opposite field to be successful. Yet, despite the fact that he did this last night to win the game, he still tries to pull the ******* ball on every pitch.

princefielder28
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
The offense continues to struggle and hopefully a day off can re-energize the team to wrap up this little homestand.

Boston
05-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank god for that day off. We look completely lost up at the plate. I wouldn't be opposed to giving Braun an extra day off tomorrow to just make sure everythings all right, maybe clear his head.

Whistler6
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
How many games did they play in a row...10-11? This day off will be huge, and hopefully they rebound as they get to stick around Milwaukee for the weekend.

Pitchers gotta be weary of Jay Bruce, he's a leaner Adam Dunn.

princefielder28
05-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Prince is phat!

princefielder28
05-30-2009, 09:07 PM
It's good to see a bit of an offensive explosion from the team tonight

Boston
05-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I hope Jay Bruce and the Reds are finding first place in the Central comfortable...oh wait.

Whistler6
06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I was thinking about Rickie Weeks sudden addition of "20 lbs of (offseason) muscle" and it got me thinking about something I heard on the radio last week.

Colin Cowherd was talking about how HGH simply makes you look "good"... Canseco, A-Rod, etc. Athletes take it because it makes them stronger, bigger, faster, etc. The athletes we see who have taken it look like mini super heros.

Why doesn't everyone take it then?
BECAUSE if we all took steroids, mosquitos would eventually morph into football sized demons who terrorize the entire planet. Right? Anger, size, rage...

princefielder28
06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Bill Hall sucks at life.

Always nice to see McGehee contributing.

Boston
06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, it's been nice having you in Milwaukee Jorge, but I think it's time we move on.

umphrey
06-01-2009, 08:55 PM
That "pitching" by Julio in the 6th was amongst the worst performances I've ever witnessed on the mound.

princefielder28
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, it's been nice having you in Milwaukee Jorge, but I think it's time we move on.

Sounds like a great idea

I don't know how he's managed to make it this far

drowe
06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah, that 6th inning might've been, without exaggeration, the most frustrating inning of baseball i've ever seen. seriously, 5 runs...and did they even hit a ball to the goddamn outfield once?!?!?

drowe
06-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Jorge Julio released.

princefielder28
06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Jorge Julio released.

Such a blessing

Corey Hart is in some trade rumors. The Red Sox, Tigers and Giants are the teams gauging a price.

princefielder28
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Manny Parra just doesn't have 'IT'

umphrey
06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
What terrible pitching this year. For every 8 innings we get out of Gallardo we also get what we saw today: Parra completely taking us out of a game by himself.

I think I'd be on board with trading Hart because we obviously need the pitching help. That is assuming we haven't given up on this year already...our 2010 team will be more like our 2008 team where we are in position to trade prospect(s) for veteran(s) and make a playoff run.

princefielder28
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
What terrible pitching this year. For every 8 innings we get out of Gallardo we also get what we saw today: Parra completely taking us out of a game by himself.

I think I'd be on board with trading Hart because we obviously need the pitching help. That is assuming we haven't given up on this year already...our 2010 team will be more like our 2008 team where we are in position to trade prospect(s) for veteran(s) and make a playoff run.

Manny will be sitting at 3-7 with a 6.75 ERA. I think throwing him in the bullpen while working on his flaws should be the route to go. Tim Dillard has been strong in AAA and he has major league experience; he dserves a shot in the rotation because it's hard to believe that he'll do any worse.

GB12
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I think I'd be on board with trading Hart because we obviously need the pitching help. That is assuming we haven't given up on this year already...our 2010 team will be more like our 2008 team where we are in position to trade prospect(s) for veteran(s) and make a playoff run.We have the second most wins in the majors right now...

Manny will be sitting at 3-7 with a 6.75 ERA. I think throwing him in the bullpen while working on his flaws should be the route to go. Tim Dillard has been strong in AAA and he has major league experience; he dserves a shot in the rotation because it's hard to believe that he'll do any worse.If anyone was to be removed from our current rotation then McClung would take their place.

Boston
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
We have the second most wins in the majors right now...

If anyone was to be removed from our current rotation then McClung would take their place.

I'd really rather not mess with anything in the bullpen right now. They've pretty much been the only consistent thing for us all year.

princefielder28
06-02-2009, 09:10 PM
If anyone was to be removed from our current rotation then McClung would take their place.

McClung sucks. Plus, he's in no condition to step in the rotation and give solid innings. The most innings he's gone all year has been 3, and at this point the team can't afford to milk there bullpen every time McClung goes out there because he'd be on a strict pitch count for a good three weeks. That experiment died out pretty quick last year too. McClung is someone who can be effective the first time through the order, but he doesn't have the stuff to put away hitters the second or third time through.

His WHIP is only lower than Suppan and Parra; what does that tell you?

GB12
06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd really rather not mess with anything in the bullpen right now. They've pretty much been the only consistent thing for us all year.
I don't think any changes should be made yet either, just saying what would happen.
McClung sucks. Plus, he's in no condition to step in the rotation and give solid innings. The most innings he's gone all year has been 3, and at this point the team can't afford to milk there bullpen every time McClung goes out there because he'd be on a strict pitch count for a good three weeks. That experiment died out pretty quick last year too. McClung is someone who can be effective the first time through the order, but he doesn't have the stuff to put away hitters the second or third time through.

His WHIP is only lower than Suppan and Parra; what does that tell you?
We wouldn't make the move now, but if anyone gets replaced in the rotation it will be for McClung.

He also has a 2.63 ERA.

Boston
06-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I think a straight swap for Dillard, with Manny going down to AAA for a few starts, would be the best approach. Give him some time to hopefully get his confidence back up.

princefielder28
06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
We wouldn't make the move now, but if anyone gets replaced in the rotation it will be for McClung.

He also has a 2.63 ERA.

McClung does have a 2.63 ERA, and I will give him credit for that. Over the last 3+ seasons McClung has an ERA of better than two points out of the pen compared to being a starter. The opponent average is also 30 points lower when he comes out of the pen. He doesn't have the stuff to be an effective starter in this league and his place belongs in the pen.

Whistler6
06-02-2009, 11:47 PM
It's really frustrating watching Parra struggle. Mainly because he was so effective in the 1st half of last season... I mean he was "money".

I can't complain about the Crew though, they are competing. This loss made them look really bad, but what can ya do? Stick it out and root for guys like Suppan, Hall, Julio. Yuck....

the_legend_killer
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but what fun would the team be without a few Groan Worthy players. Not too long ago MOST of the team was made up of them, lol.

Whistler6
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but what fun would the team be without a few Groan Worthy players. Not too long ago MOST of the team was made up of them, lol.

Very true. The year they finished 82-82 was like Green Bay winning the superbowl in '97 to me. The years of finishing 20 some games under .500 are hopefully behind the Crew for a while.

Their core of young guys have too much talent for that to happen...I hope.

princefielder28
06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Only two hits but six runs in the fifth...thank you Hayden Penn

princefielder28
06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Braden Looper :(

OUCH!

Boston
06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Don't talk **** about Seth McClung! I still remember that extra innings game from last year where he had to come in and he was just throwing gas. You could just tell he was pissed because he would have been starting the next day.

...oops...

the_legend_killer
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Seth McClung = Badass

But yeah, he works best out of the pen. I'd prefer Dillard getting called up and sending Parra down.

Whistler6
06-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Bill Hall sucks at life.

Always nice to see McGehee contributing.

Was just about to post this about tonight's game, but then I saw you wrote this from the previous game. It stands for both. 1-4, 3K. He did walk with the bases loaded, but gossshhh it's hard to watch him.

princefielder28
06-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Hall's average is down to .211

Get rid of the dead weight!

cvv84
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Hall's average is down to .211

Get rid of the dead weight!

Lets just hope that Mat Gamel's defense improves and Casey McGehee keeps hitting!!

This Braves series is going to be a big indication of how the Brewers will overcome their pitching woes this season. Also we'll see how they do against one of the top pitching prospects in baseball on Saturday against Tommy Hansen. They Crew always struggle against pitchers making their debuts....

princefielder28
06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Mat Gamel has driven in three already tonight!

Gallardo being Gallardo

Whistler6
06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Gallardo has defined the term "ace" for this Brewers team. They come off of losing 3 out of 4 and need a solid start. What does he do? 8 innings, 2 hits... Talk about picking up your team when they need ya.

It's only one game, but Gallardo is doing what CC Sabathia did for the team last year. He's a stopper.

cvv84
06-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Gallardo has defined the term "ace" for this Brewers team. They come off of losing 3 out of 4 and need a solid start. What does he do? 8 innings, 2 hits... Talk about picking up your team when they need ya.

It's only one game, but Gallardo is doing what CC Sabathia did for the team last year. He's a stopper.

Just think if we had Gallardo for a full season last year....

Whistler6
06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
If he hadn't gotten hurt, that CC trade might never have happened...Well I guess I have no idea if that's true or not.

ANYWAYS. I gotta work in the morning so I have just been lounging around watching baseball tonight. The only highlights they can pull together for the Brewers are Braun's infield hit, and an error by the SS Escobar of the Braves. not a single Gallardo pitch or any 1 of the 3 rbi's Gammel had. Weakkkk

cvv84
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
If he hadn't gotten hurt, that CC trade might never have happened...Well I guess I have no idea if that's true or not.

ANYWAYS. I gotta work in the morning so I have just been lounging around watching baseball tonight. The only highlights they can pull together for the Brewers are Braun's infield hit, and an error by the SS Escobar of the Braves. not a single Gallardo pitch or any 1 of the 3 rbi's Gammel had. Weakkkk

Good point, a CC trade probably wouldn't have happened with a healthy Gallardo.

princefielder28
06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Prince was frickin' awesome tonight!

M.O.T.H.
06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah he was...my team is garbage. Sad when I figured it was over after the first Fielder home run. :(

Atleast it was fun watching Gallardo vs. Jair yesterday, though.

princefielder28
06-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah he was...my team is garbage. Sad when I figured it was over after the first Fielder home run. :(

Atleast it was fun watching Gallardo vs. Jair yesterday, though.

You can look forward to Tommy tomorrow too.

cvv84
06-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Traditionally the Brewers struggle against pitchers making their debuts too. Hopefully Parra can start to turn things around here real soon.

M.O.T.H.
06-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Tommy is screwed. haha. He never got any run support in AAA and now he's coming to Atlanta. blah. Poor guy. Still, I'm excited to see his debut. Parra tomorrow, right? Gah we have too many lefties in our lineup. :( hahaha. I also dont think we've ever seen Parra before.

princefielder28
06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Tommy is screwed. haha. He never got any run support in AAA and now he's coming to Atlanta. blah. Poor guy. Still, I'm excited to see his debut. Parra tomorrow, right? Gah we have too many lefties in our lineup. :( hahaha. I also dont think we've ever seen Parra before.

Parra has been awful so it'll be interesting to see which streak of futility will break.

Whistler6
06-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this Tommy guy goes 6 IP and maybe 2 ER... The Brewers never fair well against pitchers making their debuts and I don't know why.

Whether they get the sweep or not, winning 2 in Atlanta is a heck of an accoomplishment after the beating they got from the Marlins. They keep pleasantly suprising me.

cvv84
06-07-2009, 12:40 PM
1-2-3 start for Hanson. Brewers at least making contract...

cvv84
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
2 poor outfield plays by Cameron. Lets a bloop single drop and then he mis-plays the ball which allows a run to score and Chipper Jones to get to third with 1 out.

cvv84
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
...and Hanson strikes out the side in the 2nd inning.

princefielder28
06-07-2009, 01:11 PM
...and Hanson strikes out the side in the 2nd inning.

He's gonna be the real deal and the Brewers' bats are the first to fall victim.

cvv84
06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Seth McClung, welcome to the rotation!

cvv84
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Hardy walks, Braun homers, Prince singles, Camerson homers. Brewers take the lead 7-5.

cvv84
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Carlos Villanueva gives up 3 runs and the Braves take the lead. Its the 3rd straight game that he's pitched in.

GB12
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Well that's disappointing.

badgerbacker
06-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Disappointing game for sure, but with how well we've played at the end of games this season, I can tolerate giving one away.

Boston
06-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Ladies and gentleman, we are about to see Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder hot at the same time. Stand in awe...stand. in. awe.

princefielder28
06-07-2009, 10:41 PM
3-4 road trip sucks but it could've been worse. Heading back home, it's time to take advantage of two lesser squads in Colorado and the White Sox.

cvv84
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Big draft tomorrow. The Brewers hold 5 of the first 74 selections and will look to keep restocking the talent in the farm system.

battlekow of brewersfan.net rounded up a list of the mock drafts Brewers top pick, and they are as follows:

Baseball America: OF A.J. Pollock, Notre Dame

Baseball Prospectus: LHP James Paxton, University of Kentucky

Jonathan Mayo: 3B Matt Davidson, Yucaipa HS (CA)

Project Prospect: C Luke Bailey, Troup County HS (GA)

MLB Outsider: RHP Matt Hobgood, Norco HS (CA)

5 Tool Talk (colbyjack): OF Tim Wheeler, Sacramento State

Sporting News: LHP Tyler Skaggs, Santa Monica HS (CA

Andy Seiler: RHP Drew Storen, Stanford University

Minor League Ball community: C Max Stassi, Yuba City HS (CA)

MyMLBDraft.com: 3B Matt Davidson, Yucaipa HS (CA)

There is alot of high school talent at the top of the draft and my guess is that the Brewers go with a high school OFer.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Mike Cameron has been suspended ywo games for his actions during Saturday's game at Atlanta

cvv84
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Mike Cameron has been suspended ywo games for his actions during Saturday's game at Atlanta

He could actually use a few days rest. His bat was really slumping there until that 2 run HR in Atlanta. Sucks to lose his defense though and that likely means that Billy Hall and his really slumping bat will take to center field tonight.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 05:21 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/draftlive_app.jsp

Watch the draft here. The Brewers are expected to pick around 7 pm Centeral time.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/draftlive_app.jsp

Watch the draft here. The Brewers are expected to pick around 7 pm Centeral time.

I'd like to see them take an outfielder who can work his way through the minors quickly. Prospects like Cole Gillespie and Lorenzo Cain have not improved like the organization had hoped, Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta were dealt last season, and players like Caleb Gindl are too far away from the big leagues.

Maybe Tim Wheeler will be available

cvv84
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see them take an outfielder who can work his way through the minors quickly. Prospects like Cole Gillespie and Lorenzo Cain have not improved like the organization had hoped, Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta were dealt last season, and players like Caleb Gindl are too far away from the big leagues.

Same here. I'd said earlier in this thread that I think they will take a high school OFer but they could definetly go with a collegiate player.

OF though is quickly becoming thin. Gillespie is a bench player at best and Cain has missed significant time this year due to injury. Cutter Dykstra has moved from the OF to 2B now too.

Some teams, such as the Red Sox, were scouting Corey Hart earlier this year so he could be moved for pitching say after the season.

Really a toss up because they always take the best player availabe and they could also draft some much needed pitching.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 06:46 PM
20 picks down, 5 to go to the Brew Crew!

cvv84
06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Brewers on the clock!

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
26. Eric Arnett, RHP, Indiana
37. Kentrail Davis, OF, Tennessee
43. Kyle Heckathorn, RHP, Kennesaw State

cvv84
06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Eric Arnett, a right hand pitching from Indiana.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Eric Arnett, a right hand pitching from Indiana.

The comparison to Josh Johnson makes me excited about this pick

cvv84
06-09-2009, 07:17 PM
The comparison to Josh Johnson makes me excited about this pick

Harold Reynolds also said that he was his 2nd best pitcher in the draft. Pretty high comment considering all the pitching that was already selected. Brewers take another power arm.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/reports.jsp?content=arnett

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Mat Gamel!!!!!!

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
26. Eric Arnett, RHP, Indiana

cvv84
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM

2 more 'power' type players. Davis is intriguing if he can put it all together.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
2 more 'power' type players. Davis is intriguing if he can put it all together.

I love the addition of Heckathorn, and if we can get Davis signed, then maybe we'll get to see what the kid can really be.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I love the addition of Heckathorn, and if we can get Davis signed, then maybe we'll get to see what the kid can really be.

I'm sure they'll get him signed. The Brewers have a good track record of getting their top picks signed. I think the last time a player didn't sign when they were selected in the first 10 rounds was Rickie's brother Jemile, and I think he was an 8th round pick.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Two more picks....

73. Maxwell Walla, OF, New Mexico (HS)
74. Cameron Garfield, C, California (HS)

cvv84
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Two more picks....

73. Maxwell Walla, OF, New Mexico (HS)
74. Cameron Garfield, C, California (HS)

Walla looks like a professional hitter. Says he can touch low 90s on his fastball to.

Garfield is mostly a defensive catcher who can put the ball in play.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Why does Hall continue to get opportunities late in games?

cvv84
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Why does Hall continue to get opportunities late in games?

No idea. I'd guess he's only in there for his defense at this point.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
No idea. I'd guess he's only in there for his defense at this point.

Why not try McGehee? He's not the defensive liability that Gamel is and he has been better from the plate than Hall.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Why not try McGehee? He's not the defensive liability that Gamel is and he has been better from the plate than Hall.

I think Macha is one of those managers who don't like to play rookies. Hall's been there and done that before. But its kind of odd since he called Billy out a few days ago. I'd like McGehee to get some more opportunities too though.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM
SS Josh Prince from Tulane. Speedy guy who's a solid defender. Brewers going collegiate early on.

princefielder28
06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
SS Josh Prince from Tulane. Speedy guy who's a solid defender. Brewers going collegiate early on.

I think their plan is to re-tool the organization with more players who are closer to major league ready than a handful of high schoolers who may have more potential.

cvv84
06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I think their plan is to re-tool the organization with more players who are closer to major league ready than a handful of high schoolers who may have more potential.

I'd also say that. They have some young position players and I like taking college arms at this point but the Brewers just haven't had any luck developing power pitching at this point. Our offense is all power too, I'd like to see a guy who can hit for average. But its the MLB draft, who knows who will pan out.

Whistler6
06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
I want to get excited about their draft picks, but I just can't. The MLB Draft is nothing like the NFL where early day 1 picks are expected to come in and produce early and often.

Reality is that it's going to be 2-3-4-5 years until they make an impact, if at all, on the Brewers major league squad. Still, I've been to a couple Timber Rattler games and it REALLY is fun to watch the lower-tier squads compete.

Anyways about last night's loss....That one hurt more than any of the recent losses. I invested the full 3 - 3 1/2 hours in that game and Coffee giving it up was a big let down. Ah well.

Is there really no one at the AAA level or on the market that can produce better than Bill Hall? McGehee, Gamel, Idk. I mean I guess his defense is solid, but the bat isn't there....ish

princefielder28
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Tonight's lineup

2B Casey McGehee
SS JJ Hardy
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
CF Mike Cameron
RF Corey Hart
C Mike Rivera
3B Bill Hall
RHP Dave Bush

Bill Hall continues to start against the lefties. This has to be his last chance.

cvv84
06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Tonight's lineup

2B Casey McGehee
SS JJ Hardy
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
CF Mike Cameron
RF Corey Hart
C Mike Rivera
3B Bill Hall
RHP Dave Bush

Bill Hall continues to start against the lefties. This has to be his last chance.

Its been interesting watching who Macha puts at leadoff since Rickie's season ending injury. I like Hart or Cameron in that spot but mostly I'm glad that Hardy is back in the 2-hole where his offense picks up from batting in front of Braun/Fielder.

cvv84
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Poor Yovani....

Here is the Brewers' lineup:

SS Craig Counsell
RF Frank Catalonotto
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
3B Mat Gamel
2B Casey McGehee
CF Jody Gerut
C Jason Kendall
RHP Yovani Gallardo

princefielder28
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I actually like the lineup

Hart, Cameron and Hall haven't hit worth a damn over the past three weeks so, some longer, and getting in some of the vets who are more focus on making contact may provide more opportunities for our sluggers.

cvv84
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I actually like the lineup

Hart, Cameron and Hall haven't hit worth a damn over the past three weeks so, some longer, and getting in some of the vets who are more focus on making contact may provide more opportunities for our sluggers.

Its not like the replacements have been hitting either though.

princefielder28
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Its not like the replacements have been hitting either though.

It's different getting a pinch hit appearance here or there to getting a chance to start. Those hitters go up there once and the results are what they are but during a start they get the chance to make adjustments and get a second, third or fourth chance at the plate. Gerut and Cat don't get the chance to start very often and while they haven't thrived in a pinch hitting rile, they haven't been given many opportunities to start, and they can't do any worse than Cameron or Hart at this point.

drowe
06-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Poor Yovani....

Here is the Brewers' lineup:

SS Craig Counsell
RF Frank Catalonotto
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
3B Mat Gamel
2B Casey McGehee
CF Jody Gerut
C Jason Kendall
RHP Yovani Gallardo

yup. they're living up to the hype so far too. seriously, i'm surprised gallardo isn't hitting 5th.

cvv84
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
yup. they're living up to the hype so far too. seriously, i'm surprised gallardo isn't hitting 5th.

Exactally, this is painful to watch. Macha just needs to stick with a lineup for more than a day. Yesterday McGehee was leading off and today he's batting 6th. I know he's trying to find a lineup since we lost Weeks for the season but changing it daily isn't the way to go about it if you ask me.

drowe
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
and really..i understand the quirky lineups. on another day, i'd approve of this. if it were on the road...and during a week where we didn't have an off day...and when OUR F'ING ACE WASN'T ON THE MOUND!!!!!!

cvv84
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Bases loaded, 0 outs, Corey Hart up to bat. Brewers down 3-0 and NEED to get something here.

Corey lines out to CF. McGehee tags and scores. Brewers now trail 3-1

cvv84
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Cousnell flies out to RF and now the Brewers have 2 on with 2 outs. Here comes Mike Cameron out to hit....

cvv84
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Cameron walks. Bases loaded for Brauny!!

cvv84
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
...and Braun leaves em loaded. :(

cvv84
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Gamel with a trowing error on a throw that he didn't need to make. That was a perfet bunt and now the Rockies have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs.

drowe
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
yup. we earned that sweep.

princefielder28
06-11-2009, 11:13 PM
yup. we earned that sweep.

The team continues to find ways to lose....really sucks right now. fortunately the white sox come into town.

cvv84
06-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm hearing that the Brewers are close to a deal with first-round draft pick Eric Arnett. It could be done today and announced tomorrow, with Arnett coming to Miller Park for a press conference.

As I wrote a couple of days ago, the signing bonus will be about $1.2 million. Arnett was the 26th pick and that slot was paid $1.3 million last year but word has it that bonuses will go down 10% this year because of the economy.

Both sides want to get this deal done, so it's moving quickly.

The Indiana University right-hander will be assigned to the rookie club in Helena initially, then moved up to either Class A Wisconsin or Class A Brevard County. The Brewers want to limit his workload because he threw a lot of pitches for the Hoosiers this year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/47921272.html

Awesome. Even if he won't pitch that much this year at least he'll get some work in and they can focus on getting our other top guys signed.

cvv84
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Arnett just announced via Twitter that he has signed. Thats the 5th signing for the Brewers so far that also includs 2nd rounder Maxwell Walla and 3rd rounder Joshua Prince.

GB12
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
If that was a slower runner it would have been an amazing play from Hall.

princefielder28
06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Very nice start by Jeff Suppan tonight. It was also good to see Hart contributing.

cvv84
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Another great start for Parra.

...and by great start I mean its time to remove him from the rotation.

The Brewers are also being dominated by Jose Contreras.

GB12
06-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Chris Smith sounds like Christmas with a lisp.

cvv84
06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Parra optioned to AAA.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48006497.html

GB12
06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Better to have him work it out in Nashville than be stuck in the bullpen. It'd be nice if we could make a trade for a pitcher before we need that 5th starter again.

Boston
06-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, it's about time Parra was sent down...

princefielder28
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Better to have him work it out in Nashville than be stuck in the bullpen. It'd be nice if we could make a trade for a pitcher before we need that 5th starter again.

Brad Penny may be available with Smoltz coming off the DL. Penny has also stated that he does not want to go to the bullpen.

princefielder28
06-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Corey goes deep again!

cvv84
06-14-2009, 03:46 PM
3-0 and Hoffman throws one dead center to Pierzynski. Sox take the lead 5-4. Should've just walked him at that point with Josh Fields on deck.

princefielder28
06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Come on Mat, walk 'em home!

cvv84
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Another gift game wrapped up and delivered.

the_legend_killer
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I don't like bringing a closer in like that in a non-save situation, not just there, but in general. I would've preferred Coffey there, but oh well. It is what it is.

GB12
06-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I don't like bringing a closer in like that in a non-save situation, not just there, but in general. I would've preferred Coffey there, but oh well. It is what it is.
I disagree, bringing in the closer in that situation is absolutely the right move. At home if it's tied in the 9th inning you put in the closer. The goal is to keep it tied and then have the offense win it in the bottom half. Didn't work this time, but if the closer is rested then he should always be put in for that situation. Sure, it's a non save situation but it's just as important. If it's tied in the 9th then the home team will never have a save situation. You can't wait to give the closer a save opportunity, because that is an impossible scenario. You put him in for the 9th inning and have him hold it. If you put someone else in and they give up a couple runs, then you've left your best reliever sitting in the bullpen and the game's over.

Boston
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, at least Corey's finally swinging the bat. It only took a couple months, but he got there.

If Hardy goes 0-7 tomorrow, he will officially be hitting below .200... Funny, I kind of thought Billy would get there first.

cvv84
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM

I don't like it either. It ruins the physce when they're used in that situation. Mostly though I don't like how Pierzynski was served a fastball on a 3-0 count. Our pitchers have been burned in this series trying to come back from behind in the counts. At least hit the corners or feed him a changeup. We only needed 1 out today and a walk would have set up a force at any base.

cvv84
06-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, at least Corey's finally swinging the bat. It only took a couple months, but he got there.

That's for sure! Hopefully JJ can heat up too. He's been hitting the ball well lately too but hasn't found the gaps. It seems like guys are pressing too much for the HR swing lately. Fielder, Cameron, Hall, and Braun have been taking some mighty hacks. At least for Braun he has the ability to hit the ball from anywhere in the zone so he still gets the singles/doubles.

yodabear
06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I gotta agree with GB12. Absolutely you bring in Hoffman there. You are not going to get a closing situation, you want to win this game, so why not bring in the best relief pitcher on your team? I don't like it when managers use their closers when they are up 8-2 or down by a lot, but tie game top of the 9th, u should bring him in.

Boston
06-14-2009, 07:09 PM
For the month of June up to this point, the combination of Hall, Hardy, and Cameron have been hitting .121, with 1 HR, 6 RBI's, and 1 double. Nice!

princefielder28
06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I gotta agree with GB12. Absolutely you bring in Hoffman there. You are not going to get a closing situation, you want to win this game, so why not bring in the best relief pitcher on your team? I don't like it when managers use their closers when they are up 8-2 or down by a lot, but tie game top of the 9th, u should bring him in.

No doubt, GB12 is correct and Macha's decision was correct. You have to go with your top guns and you can't bank on other relief getting you to the bottom of the 9th or extra innings.

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I disagree, bringing in the closer in that situation is absolutely the right move. At home if it's tied in the 9th inning you put in the closer. The goal is to keep it tied and then have the offense win it in the bottom half. Didn't work this time, but if the closer is rested then he should always be put in for that situation. Sure, it's a non save situation but it's just as important. If it's tied in the 9th then the home team will never have a save situation. You can't wait to give the closer a save opportunity, because that is an impossible scenario. You put him in for the 9th inning and have him hold it. If you put someone else in and they give up a couple runs, then you've left your best reliever sitting in the bullpen and the game's over.

I understand the logic behind it, and almost always your closer is your best reliever and that is true with the Brewers, I guess I'm just worried about over exposing Hoffman. He's been totally lights out, but when he can't get ahead with his average fastball or throw his change for strikes, the results aren't pretty. But still, this is the first time it's happened so I won't take it as a "OMG!!! Hoffman's done!" kinda thing, but I'm not a fan of the move, overall.

Also, Chicago Cubs, thank you for Casey McGehee.

GB12
06-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Worried about over exposing Hoffman? He's been in the majors for 16 years. He's not going to show anything that everyone doesn't already know.

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Worried about over exposing Hoffman? He's been in the majors for 16 years. He's not going to show anything that everyone doesn't already know.

Yeah, but he's not in his prime. He's 41 years old and I'm not a fan of throwing out a 41 year old pitcher that's been topping out at 87 (Even though he's been very very good with it). I'd rather have him take care of the saves when we need him and have the others worry about the rest.

Even with him missing the first month or so, save the work he'd get if he hadn't pitched in a while due to lack of save oppo's, I'd prefer he be used in just those situations so he doesn't wear down.

Boston
06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, but he's not in his prime. He's 41 years old and I'm not a fan of throwing out a 41 year old pitcher that's been topping out at 87 (Even though he's been very very good with it). I'd rather have him take care of the saves when we need him and have the others worry about the rest.

You do realize that he features one of the best changeups in the history of the game, don't you?

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
You do realize that he features one of the best changeups in the history of the game, don't you?

Yes. But if he can't get his fastball over for a strike what good does it do?

GB12
06-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Even with him missing the first month or so, save the work he'd get if he hadn't pitched in a while due to lack of save oppo's, I'd prefer he be used in just those situations so he doesn't wear down.
That basically was a save situation. He won't get a blown save for yesterday, but that's pretty much what happend.

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
That basically was a save situation. He won't get a blown save for yesterday, but that's pretty much what happend.

I know he won't get a blown save, since it was a tied game. But when closers (Even established vets like Hoffman and Rivera) come into non-save games, it's a different vibe and atmosphere, and no, I'm not saying they lost because they didn't play Hells Bells. It's been talked about before and I just don't think they should've sent to Hoffman there.

Whistler6
06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
It feels like the Brewers are free falling, and yet...They are STILL in 1st place. Need to be optimistic right?

Indians vs Brewers on ESPN tonight, interesting. You know it' a "quiet" night then those 2 teams are featured on ESPN's main channel. Come on Bush, we need ya.

GB12
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Indians vs Brewers on ESPN tonight, interesting. You know it' a "quiet" night then those 2 teams are featured on ESPN's main channel. Come on Bush, we need ya.
That's not good considering we've been absolutely terrible in nationally/regionally televised games this season.

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
It feels like the Brewers are free falling, and yet...They are STILL in 1st place. Need to be optimistic right?

Oh, lots of reasons to be optimistic. But GB's right, between the Cubs and Twins games, they've been pretty bad on ESPN this year, and even in the Fox games too. Hopefully Bush can step it up and the offense can get back rolling.

cvv84
06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
2B Craig Counsell
3B Casey McGehee
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Corey Hart
CF Mike Cameron
DH Mat Gamel
SS J.J. Hardy
C Mike Rivera

Dave Bush vs. Carl Pavano

cvv84
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Braun crushes a 2 run HR!

princefielder28
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Ryan Braun is sexy!

cvv84
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
...and Dave Bush serves up a 2 run HR. Tied up 2-2

the_legend_killer
06-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Rivera's had a brutal day.

cvv84
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Rivera's had a brutal day.

The Brewers pitchers are having an equally as bad day, if not worse. Hafner just smokes a 3 run HR. 12-7 Indians

cvv84
06-15-2009, 09:27 PM
WOW!!!! I hope nobody else changed the channel. Prince just hit a grand slam to take the lead! 13-12 Brewers. Prince/Braun have drived in 11 of the runs.

cvv84
06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
WOW!!!! I hope nobody else changed the channel. Prince just hit a grand slam to take the lead! 13-12 Brewers. Prince/Braun have drived in 11 of the runs.

14-12 as Mat Gamel knocks in Hart with a single.

princefielder28
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
It's not surprise to see what happens when you get runners on ahead of Bruan and Fielder....RUNS!!!!

cvv84
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Braun comes up just a double shy of the cycle :(

umphrey
06-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I only caught the end but WHAT A GAME that grand slam by Prince was absolutely phenomenal. Exciting game to watch!!!! don't see us win games with scores 14-12 very much!!!

It's been in my mind for awhile that McGehee is severely underrated. He is just a scrappy hitter that seems to always gives quality at bats and he gets on base a lot. It kills me to see guys like Bill Hall in the lineup when I have so much more confidence in McGehee.

Also the more Gamel plays the happier I am. We need lefties, period. I like Fielder sandwhiched in the order between Braun and a righty (Hart, McGehee) but stick Gamel in the 2 or 6 spot and it adds a lot to our lineup IMO. He should be an every day player for us.

Whistler6
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
If anyone on here says they saw that comeback and Prince Fielder slam coming... you are a bold faced liar. Lefty v. lefty, and if that would have been anything but what it was (4 RBI Homer), I would have screamed at the TV for Prince going after the 1st pitch.

Everything about that game was awesome...Except the 4+ hours of grueling and terrible pitching along with them getting piss pounded for the most part. Heck of a come back, made my night, naa made my week.

drowe
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
wildest game of the year.

hell, wildest game of the last couple years.

excellence.

princefielder28
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
This is the lineup I'd like to see tonight

McGehee
Gamel
Braun
Fielder
Hart
Cameron
Hall
Hardy
Kendall

Boston
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Ha...forgot this was interleague play and got confused there for a second...

umphrey
06-16-2009, 04:10 PM
This is the lineup I'd like to see tonight

McGehee
Gamel
Braun
Fielder
Hart
Cameron
Hall
Hardy
Kendall

I agree and I think that's the general format we should use for awhile. I like McGehee being up in the order, even though he's not the best lead off man, I like to see him get at bats and he does get on base alot.

I love how the start goes R-L-R-L-R because we see managers trying to counter Gamel and Fielder late in games so much, it's going to be really hard to do that without giving Braun or Hart some great opportunities.

And as a bonus we have a clutch lefty we can pull out any time in Counsell. He's earned playing time this year but I'd still like to start him every other day at most to keep him fresh later in the season.

Whistler6
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Fun fact, Prince Fiel-DER leads the entire Major League in RBI's... If only for a couple days, it's nice to see a Brewer out front in a stat like that.

His slow start last year clearly affected his entire season and psyche, so I can't wait to watch how a fast start with an OBP of .421 and 62 RBI's unfolds

cvv84
06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Fun fact, Prince Fiel-DER leads the entire Major League in RBI's... If only for a couple days, it's nice to see a Brewer out front in a stat like that.

His slow start last year clearly affected his entire season and psyche, so I can't wait to watch how a fast start with an OBP of .421 and 62 RBI's unfolds

Prince is finally showing some all around hitter characteristics. He's talking his walks because he knows teams will try to pitch around him all the while swinging at pitches that he can drive. Its been fun watching him develop over years and it's going to suck watching him leave Milwaukee.

I'm not sure about the entire league, but I think Braun is now tied for 5th in most RBI's in the NL after yesterdays game.

Burger
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
How is Ken Macha?

Whistler6
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Any guesses what these numbers are? Noooo, not my final exam percentages from this past semester. They are the batting averages of our *regular* 5-6-7-8-9 hitters.

Yes we have a DH tonight, but how does a team hold onto 1st place an entire season with those numbers? Oh and add in .205 from our current 2-hole hitter Bill Hall...

Whistler6
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
The Crew is in 1st place and doing all that I could ask of them...competing day in and day out...But it's very frustrating at times when they aren't clicking on all cylinders. They tend to really struggle when they hit a bumpy spot.

They are what they are, but I love 'em.

Boston
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Remember when Hall didn't suck?

cvv84
06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Classy fans in the upper deck tonight.

princefielder28
06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Remember when Hall didn't suck?

It was such a short window of time but yes I can still remember

Boston
06-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Ever since he signed that contract he's been complete trash for us.

princefielder28
06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Ever since he signed that contract he's been complete trash for us.

I think he took Performance-Enhancing Drugs

Whistler6
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM

It's funny because his "didn't suck" year was batting something like .272 with 20+ homeruns. Worth the money right?

drowe
06-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Classy fans in the upper deck tonight.

LOL. did ya hear the "Gamel toe" chant? i loved it.

Whistler6
06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Incase anyone's interested... Nice change of pace tonight against another lefty

Kendall leading off
By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Jun. 17, 2009 1:54 p.m.

Cleveland - Casey McGehee is out of the lineup today because of a sore right knee and left ankle, so manager Ken Macha had to come up with a new leadoff hitter against a lefty (David Huff).

Macha came up with Jason Kendall.

So, here's the Brewers' lineup against the aforementioned Mr. Huff:

C Jason Kendall
2B Craig Counsell
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Corey Hart
CF Mike Cameron
SS J.J. Hardy
DH Mat Gamel
3B Bill Hall

RHP Jeff Suppan (not batting)

UPDATE ON MANNY PARRA:

THIS WAS PARRA'S PITCHING LINE AT NASHVILLE TODAY:

6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K

114 pitches, 75 strikes

princefielder28
06-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Manny may not have given up many runs or hits but he had four walks, not good.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
A Bill Hall HR????? 4-3 Brewers

princefielder28
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Bill Hall got a fastball to pull and he hit it out!

GB12
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
It's funny because his "didn't suck" year was batting something like .272 with 20+ homeruns. Worth the money right?
Try 35.

And there's one for 2009.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
LOL. did ya hear the "Gamel toe" chant? i loved it.

That guy must have season tickets. Its "Hardy Boys" tonight.

GB12
06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
****. Why is Ryan Braun out.

TheBuffaloBills
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Trevor Time tonight?!?!?

GB12
06-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Trevor Time tonight?!?!?
Nope.

Corey Hart's getting his **** together this series.

TheBuffaloBills
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Nope.

Corey Hart's getting his **** together this series.

Damnit........ Atleast I got to see him pitch a few nights ago on ESPN. I don't have the MLB package, so I rarely see any Brewer games.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Blown save for Hoffman. I guess thats what they get for trotting him out there 3 of the past 4 games. Should've brought in Stetter in there to face the lefty.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Stetter! Stetter! Stetter! Brewers squeak out a 9-8 victory to sweep the series. Next up Detroit.

the_legend_killer
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I wasn't sure Mitch could step up for Shouse, but Mitch has been fantastic. (Sans the GS v. the Twins)

Boston
06-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't know why Macha felt the need to bring Hoffman in there when Stetter would have done just fine.

cvv84
06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Prince with a 3 run HR!!! His 17th HR and 67th RBI of the season. 3-0 Brewers

Boston
06-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I miss the days when we used to have multiple starting pitchers that could be trusted on the mound...

GB12
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Is anyone actually getting the TV feed still?

cvv84
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Is anyone actually getting the TV feed still?

I am. You're must be getting messed up by all the HRs that Looper is serving up.

Bottom of the 4th and here comes the rain. Needs to be 4.5 innings to be an official game.

princefielder28
06-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I hope the Crew can get back up to bat in the sixth.

Whistler6
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Apparently this guy going for the Tigers today was just called up from AA... My 1st reaction is, "we should belt him around the park".

But then again, the last game I went to was at the Twins when the Crew went up against Swarzek making his major league debut and he shut them down. Sooooo, we'll see how today goes.

3PM game on national TV again right?

cvv84
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Man does our pitching blow.

princefielder28
06-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Man does our pitching blow.

It is embarrassing; everytime we go on national television our pitching goes to hell. Yo is the only starter doing anything and lately he's been a bit off.

cvv84
06-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Casey McGehee with an opposite field HR to break up the no hitter ;)

1-0 Brewers