View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25

princefielder28
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
The Randy Wolf deal is done, 3 years, $29.75 million

Pacific
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Latroy Hawkins, 2yr/$7.5 mil deal pending physical

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/12/brewers_talking_to_reliever_ha.html

umphrey
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Awesome two quality pitchers. Both great signings. Hopefully we can still add another starter or advanced prospect but IMO those deals alone are a win. What does our rotation look like now?

1) Yovani Gallardo
2) Randy Wolf
3) Jeff Suppan
4) Manny Parra
5) Dave Bush

Better than last year but still weak IMO. If we could just get one more solid pitcher for that 3rd spot it would help so much. Need 3 for the playoffs if we get there, and I would hate to see Suppan or Parra make a playoff start. If Bush gets hurt again or Parra bombs we have nobody. Words cannot describe my hate for Suppan and his stupid contract.

Whistler6
12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I would make Suppan a batting practice pitcher and make the move on Hart for John Maine. Would be a boom or bust trade with Maine, but worth it in my "amateur" opinion.

Or if they could somehow get the Braves to pay a big sum of Lowe's contract...That'd be a nice deal.

the_legend_killer
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Wolf I'm happy with, Hawkins, not as much. LaTroy has good numbers that last half-dozen years, but always seems like he's blowing games at big times (Or maybe because a lot of these with the Yankees and Cubs, it was just overblown). But still, it is better than trotting out some no-name alsoran from the minors.

princefielder28
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Wolf I'm happy with, Hawkins, not as much. LaTroy has good numbers that last half-dozen years, but always seems like he's blowing games at big times (Or maybe because a lot of these with the Yankees and Cubs, it was just overblown). But still, it is better than trotting out some no-name alsoran from the minors.

Seeing the deal that Brandon Lyon got, I would've preferred him

umphrey
12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
In an effort to find an inexpensive option as a second left-hander in the bullpen, the Brewers selected Chuck Lofgren out of the Cleveland system. Lofgren, 23, pitched last season at Class AA Akron and Class AAA Columbus.
The Brewers paid $50,000 to take a look at Lofgren. Rule 5 picks must stay on the team's big-league roster the entire next season or be offered back to his organization. If a team returns the player, they get $25,000 back.
Does anyone know anything about this guy?

princefielder28
12-10-2009, 01:06 PM

I love this move. It's a low risk, high reward type move with a young guy.

cvv84
12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

I believe he was ranked as the Indians #2 prospect 2 years in a row a few years ago. Like PF said, its a low risk high reward.

Whistler6
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I believe he was ranked as the Indians #2 prospect 2 years in a row a few years ago. Like PF said, its a low risk high reward.

He was lights out in AA last year with an era around 1.30, but then came back down to Earth once promoted to AAA (era -- 5.00+). Still, he is a big guy, roughly 6'3'' 220, only 23 years old, and the Brewers paid 50,000 to select him.

They have hopes he will be a solid contributor along side Mitch Stetter in the bullpen this season.

Here's an article about him...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/79019612.html

cvv84
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Brewers do not tender 2010 contracts to RHP Seth McClung, RHP Mark DiFelice and C Mike Rivera.

Looks like Jonathan Lucroy might be up in the majors to start the season.

Craig Counsell also has a deal in place with the Brewers and is expected to re-sign Monday.

Whistler6
12-12-2009, 10:02 PM
That is a mistake not to offer to Mike Rivera. In my opinion, he is a starting caliber C who needs the chance to play 100+ games in a season.

Isn't DiFelice out for the 2010 season anyways though with his surgery?

princefielder28
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
That is a mistake not to offer to Mike Rivera. In my opinion, he is a starting caliber C who needs the chance to play 100+ games in a season.

Isn't DiFelice out for the 2010 season anyways though with his surgery?

Yes, DiFelice is out for 2010

umphrey
12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Suppan and Hall account for $20 mil out of an $80 mil payroll for 2010. One more year and we get these clowns off the books...

That right there might be the money we give to Fielder. Instantly giving up that financial flexibility would be tough for management but at least they would be taking it away from crumb bums and giving it to a star, a player that is almost a lock to be a top hitter in the league for the next couple of years.

cvv84
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Bill Hall officially traded to the Red Sox from the Mariners. The Brewers are still paying for $7.15 million of his $8.4 million salary for 2010.

princefielder28
01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Bill Hall officially traded to the Red Sox from the Mariners. The Brewers are still paying for $7.15 million of his $8.4 million salary for 2010.

it does suck that we have to pay that but i guess it's nice that we don't pay the whole thing...props again to Jack Z for getting Kotchman in return for Hall

princefielder28
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Terrell Suggs was just on NFL Live and he was wearing a Brewers hat...i thought that was kinda funny

cvv84
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Terrell Suggs was just on NFL Live and he was wearing a Brewers hat...i thought that was kinda funny

Was it the ball and glove?

Also since I'm posting in the Brewers thread I see Ned Yost was hired by the Royals today.

princefielder28
01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Was it the ball and glove?

Also since I'm posting in the Brewers thread I see Ned Yost was hired by the Royals today.

No, it was just the current logo

cvv84
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Brewers advoid arby with Weeks, Gomez, and Gerut. That leaves Hart, Villanueva, Coffey, and Bush left.

Whistler6
01-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Arbitration is based heavily on performance right? Maybe it's a good thing for the Brewers that Hart fell flat last season. I'm a true fan of guys like Hart and Weeks though, so I do want to see them get their worth.

Each of those players you listed above are pretty crucial to success this season except maybe Gerut, so hopefully it gets worked out on both sides.

cvv84
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers have signed left-hander Doug Davis to a one-year, $4.25 million contract with a $6.5 million mutual option for 2011.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Not the answer but I like adding another lefty and a guy who can eat up innings. I'm feeling a little better about our pitching after adding Wolf and now Davis. Hopefully that'll buy us some time until our pitching develops in the minors.

Whistler6
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers have signed left-hander Doug Davis to a one-year, $4.25 million contract with a $6.5 million mutual option for 2011.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Not the answer but I like adding another lefty and a guy who can eat up innings. I'm feeling a little better about our pitching after adding Wolf and now Davis. Hopefully that'll buy us some time until our pitching develops in the minors.

I see more worth in Doug Davis ESPECIALLY at $4.25 million than Suppan at $12 million. I think everyone does. This is a great signing adding another lefty starter.

Who gets knocked out of the rotation?

Jeff Suppan (R)
Dave Bush (R)
Randy Wolf (L)
Manny Parra (L)
Yovanni Gallardo (R)
Doug Davis (L)

From Brewers.com:

Barring an injury before the start of the season, someone will have to bump to the bullpen or be let go. "Players help us make those decisions," Melvin said.

the_legend_killer
01-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah this, plus the chance to sign Mulder to an incentive contract before ST is nice. Gallardo/Wolf/Davis/Bush/Parra isn't a bad rotation.

cvv84
01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking Parra will go to the pen. Limit his innings and let him regain some of his confidence. Suppan just makes too much to be put in releif and at least this year he'd be a #5 instead of our #2.

princefielder28
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm thinking Parra will go to the pen. Limit his innings and let him regain some of his confidence. Suppan just makes too much to be put in releif and at least this year he'd be a #5 instead of our #2.

I don't think sending Parra to the pen is going to help his confidence...as tough as it is to do given the money, I think we have to send Suppan to the pen b/c he doesn't give us a better shot to win every time out than the other five

umphrey
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Suppan is a crap pitcher and I personally hate him, but I'd have to think he stays in the rotation. Fans hate him because of his contract - that gives us an increased negative opinion of him - but I have to think he's still gonna be the 5th best pitcher on the team at most points in the season. It might be because of injuries (lets hope not) or someone might fall apart (please keep your head straight, Parra). At least he goes 6 innings most of the time and even though it happened a few times last year he doesn't get shelled that often and get pulled before the 3rd.

cvv84
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Coffey agrees to terms (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/82279972.html)

umphrey
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Great if we keep our bullpen together from last year, plus the additions of Hawkins and the sixth starting pitcher (assuming we sign Bush), they could be a top NL unit considering they're less likely to get completely overworked by some of the garbage outings the starters had last year.

Whistler6
01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Suppan is a crap pitcher and I personally hate him, but I'd have to think he stays in the rotation. Fans hate him because of his contract - that gives us an increased negative opinion of him - but I have to think he's still gonna be the 5th best pitcher on the team at most points in the season. It might be because of injuries (lets hope not) or someone might fall apart (please keep your head straight, Parra). At least he goes 6 innings most of the time and even though it happened a few times last year he doesn't get shelled that often and get pulled before the 3rd.

Make Suppan the batting practice pitcher and water boy, problem solved. Maybe I am too hard on the guy, but your right I hate him mainly because of his contract...And his belt-high-meatball-straight-on-fast-ball that nearly every opponent is excited to get a crack at.

cvv84
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
The Brewers and RHP Dave Bush avoided arbitration Monday by agreeing to a one-year, $4.215 million contract.

princefielder28
01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
The Brewers and RHP Dave Bush avoided arbitration Monday by agreeing to a one-year, $4.215 million contract.

Not a bad figure for either side

Whistler6
01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Not a bad figure for either side

And after getting Coffey for only 2 million, this looks like another steal.

Whistler6
01-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Ben Sheet just signed a 1 year/$10 million dollar deal with the Oakland Athletics. Good luck to him, but this seems like quite over-pay in a Gagne-esque contract.

If he's 100% healthy amen pay the man, but coming off the injury he had? I don't know about that... I've always loved Sheets though, definitely a fan favorite. So here's to good health and a solid season.

...Now if he were going to the Cubs that would be a different story.

princefielder28
01-26-2010, 02:37 PM
The A's are looking at it as a one year experiment, which I think is worth the risk. We all know how great Ben can be and to add him with all those youngsters, the A's could be a force in a down AL West.

Whistler6
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
The A's are looking at it as a one year experiment, which I think is worth the risk. We all know how great Ben can be and to add him with all those youngsters, the A's could be a force in a down AL West.

In this case, I think risk is worth it...But I was just comparing it to the Gagne contract, because Melvin threw a heap of cash in a "1 year experiment" at Eric Gagne when he should have been left on the trash heap himself.

For the A's though, they are one of the smaller market teams and paying that price for a guy coming off the injury Sheets had, it is a major risk.

umphrey
01-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I hate Sheets. The A's are going to be disappointed. Even if he came back to where he was before the injury, he's still inconsistent and guaranteed to spend time on the DL.

He would have to have a career 180 to be signable to a long term deal. The 1 year contract isn't bad for them but if they are auditioning him for a multi year contract, well, they shouldn't do that.

cvv84
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Villanueva advoids arby. That leaves Corey Hart as the only player left to negotiate with.

cvv84
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
2 Brewers made the MLB.com's top 50 prospects list.

#26 was 2B Brett Lawrie
#12 was SS Alcides Escobar

cvv84
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Reports are that Jim Edmonds is on the verge of signing a minor league deal with the Brewers.

Good deal considering Hart is coming off an injury/down year, Gomez is still raw offensively, and Inglett/Guert are spotty bench players.

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Reports are that Jim Edmonds is on the verge of signing a minor league deal with the Brewers.

Good deal considering Hart is coming off an injury/down year, Gomez is still raw offensively, and Inglett/Guert are spotty bench players.

Originally reading that, my thoughts say WOW awesome. But Edmonds is a shell of former self. Still there is absolutely no harm in signing him to a minor league deal with potential for him to be a contributor at the MLB level.

Gabe Kapler is a perfect example of someone who disappeared and came back better than ever. Who knows. Any word on Mark Mulder, or is that not likely to happen anymore?

cvv84
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally reading that, my thoughts say WOW awesome. But Edmonds is a shell of former self. Still there is absolutely no harm in signing him to a minor league deal with potential for him to be a contributor at the MLB level.

Gabe Kapler is a perfect example of someone who disappeared and came back better than ever. Who knows. Any word on Mark Mulder, or is that not likely to happen anymore?

Its a low risk signing. He's still a very good defender and if he can still hit righties that makes him pretty valuable. Like with Kapler, injuries happen and the bench guys could be forced into action.

As for Mulder both sides are interesed in getting something done but the Brewers are waiting to see how he's progressing. Last I seen he wasn't throwing off the mound yet.

umphrey
01-31-2010, 03:13 PM
"Jeff Suppan revealed that his baby daughter, born shortly after the season ended, is named Finley. He said it was not for Chuck Finley or Steve Finley, however."

Maybe he's a Jermichael fan!

princefielder28
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
"Jeff Suppan revealed that his baby daughter, born shortly after the season ended, is named Finley. He said it was not for Chuck Finley or Steve Finley, however."

Maybe he's a Jermichael fan!

Craig Counsell named one of his daughters Finley after Steve Finley

umphrey
02-02-2010, 07:02 PM
McClung signed elsewhere. I don't think this hurts us at all. He was always a starter who couldn't cut it - would have had an ERA 6+ in that role most likely. Out of the bullpen he couldn't adapt his game. Instead of 1-2 good, intense innings he'd give you 3-4 mellow ones, or less if he got pulled. He was only useful when our starter got shelled and was out by the third to eat up innings in a lost game.

cvv84
02-02-2010, 07:16 PM
McClung signed elsewhere. I don't think this hurts us at all. He was always a starter who couldn't cut it - would have had an ERA 6+ in that role most likely. Out of the bullpen he couldn't adapt his game. Instead of 1-2 good, intense innings he'd give you 3-4 mellow ones, or less if he got pulled. He was only useful when our starter got shelled and was out by the third to eat up innings in a lost game.

We didn't offer him arbitration so the writing was on the wall. I liked him better in the bullpen and at least this year we'll have 5 descent starters. Hopefully the injury bug doesn't bite again.

princefielder28
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I hated McClung, thank god he's gone

umphrey
02-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Braden Looper is still a free agent. How much money would you resign him for? We bought out his 6.5M option for 1M and now have, what some people would call, an excess of starting pitchers. But how much would it be worth to bring back our top winning pitcher from last year?

Suppan, Parra and Bush are all so shaky I'd be happy to bring back Looper if it only cost us 1-2M...
They might not be happy about it, but whatever, it seems like every year we get to a point where we are completely out of options for that 5th pitcher. If we got a couple of wins starting Looper instead of a scrub from AAA, well, that might be the difference between a wildcard berth or not. Might also send those guys the message that if they don't step up now it's gonna cost them big time...whoever gets pushed to the side isn't going to make much money without putting up stats for the scouts.

cvv84
02-09-2010, 08:12 PM
There's a reason why Looper is still a free agent.

Gallardo has gotten his innings back up after missing nearly the entire season 2 years ago. He should be vastly improved and more consistant.

Bush had an injury year, his 1st, so thats not much of a concern.

Doug Davis is a horse, and while not specatular, he's a descent

Add in Randy Wolf and we have 4 very solid players. I'd rather save the money to offer Fielder a long term deal.

princefielder28
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
At this point we're fine with our starting pitching. we already have six for five spots and Looper isn't that much better, if at all, than any of those six

RyanBraun8
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
There's a reason why Looper is still a free agent.

Gallardo has gotten his innings back up after missing nearly the entire season 2 years ago. He should be vastly improved and more consistant.

Bush had an injury year, his 1st, so thats not much of a concern.

Doug Davis is a horse, and while not specatular, he's a descent

Add in Randy Wolf and we have 4 very solid players. I'd rather save the money to offer Fielder a long term deal.

Yeah not worried at all, he got absolutely drilled by that ball so the injury wasn't because of his pitching just bad luck. Hed has a very durable arm and he is tough, he pitch for like 3 or 4 more outtings after that. I was at Buffalo Wild Wings when that happened and my jaw just drop. That Marlin (forgot who) hit that ball right on the screws.

Whistler6
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
The Brewers have signed Scott Schoenweis to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training. I like the signing. He was awful with the D'Backs last year, but was also dealing with the deal of his wife.

I think he would be a good back up to Mitch Stetter in the bullpen seeing as Schoenweis had great numbers against lefty's last year despite his overall stats.

Plus, now we have another Jewish guy for the "Hebrew Hammer" Ryan Braun to hang out with...Win-win.

If nothing else, the minor league system should be set with Jim Edmonds and Soctty W down there too. Jk.

umphrey
02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Seems like a lot of competition this year. Should bring out a couple real ball players out of obscurity.

Jarrod Washburn is still a free agent. He even publicly said he wanted to come to Milwaukee. I wish I could wave a magic wand he'd switch places with Suppan. I'm sure he'd be happy with a 12.5M 1 year deal and I wouldn't have to watch Suppan for another year.

princefielder28
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Corey Hart won his salary arbitration case and will make $4.8 million this next season. Not too bad of a figure but he better start producing because outside of the first half of the '08 season, he's been kinda disappointing

umphrey
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Someone please explain this to me.

Corey Hart had...
115 games, down 42 from last year
.260 batting average, down 8 points
12 home runs, down 8
11 stolen bases, down 12
92 strike outs, with a 0.2196 SO/AB up from 0.1781 last year
.418 slugging, down 41 points
48 RBIs, down 43
But got a $1.55M raise!?!?

In the interest of fairness I should mention his OBP was .335 up 35 points. The only major statistical category he improved in (along with walks, obviously). This wasn't enough to boost his OPS into the improved category, however.

Whistler6
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Someone please explain this to me.

Corey Hart had...
115 games, down 42 from last year
.260 batting average, down 8 points
12 home runs, down 8
11 stolen bases, down 12
92 strike outs, with a 0.2196 SO/AB up from 0.1781 last year
.418 slugging, down 41 points
48 RBIs, down 43
But got a $1.55M raise!?!?

In the interest of fairness I should mention his OBP was .335 up 35 points. The only major statistical category he improved in (along with walks, obviously). This wasn't enough to boost his OPS into the improved category, however.

I heard that. Why issues like this work out the way they do can be incredibly frustrating. Whether he won or lost his arbitration, he was going to received atleast 800,000 more this season. So in reality it's not a big difference on the whole.

I'm guessing the final ruling kept his injury-plagued 2009 and his very productive 2008 in mind while making their decision. Apparently he's getting into excellent shape too, so who knows maybe he'll be "back".

...Although I'm not sure conditioning and muscle can stop a guy from swinging at the low-any-away breaking balls. Ugly.

the_legend_killer
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Spring Training Ball is under way. Hopefully Zito beaming Fielder removed the sand from the Giants' vagina's.

cvv84
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
The only spring training news that I want to hear is Prince signing an extention.

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Spring Training Ball is under way. Hopefully Zito beaming Fielder removed the sand from the Giants' vagina's.

Zito should frame this story, because it's about the only newsworthy event for Barry that will discuss something other than him being lit up for yet another season.

Overpayed, overrated, not even the 3rd best pitcher on his own staff. I can't wait until he leaves one of those meaty curves hanging belt high for Fielder to into the Bay in San Francisco.

Apparently Mr. Zito didn't see the highlights of the animal Prince storming the opponent locker room after being thrown at last year.

umphrey
03-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Sounds like Mark Rogers might have something to offer the team this year. That would be a nice, unexpected bonus.

cvv84
03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds like Mark Rogers might have something to offer the team this year. That would be a nice, unexpected bonus.

Definetly. The only pitching help I was expecting from the farm this year was Zach Braddock. It should be an interesting season seeing we now have 2 guys in Escobar and Gomez that can steal bases. Hopefully they can hit though!

Whistler6
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Definetly. The only pitching help I was expecting from the farm this year was Zach Braddock. It should be an interesting season seeing we now have 2 guys in Escobar and Gomez that can steal bases. Hopefully they can hit though!

There it is. Speed doesn't mean jack aside from defense if they can't get on base. I'm excited to see how this season plays out, but a lot of their young talent is going to have to perform well.

Whether they win is to be seen, but the Brewers are going to be a fun team to watch this year.

umphrey
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Gomez is moving from the AL to the NL and his only problem is that he hits the ball in the air too much. I think he'll do well but he might not come around until mid season. Escobar will hit above .260 which would make me happy.

They key to winning will be Weeks, Hart, and McGehee IMO. We are depending on them to hit around Prince and Braun. Weeks was playing like an all star before he got hurt, if he does that through an entire year it would do great things for our offense. Hart has to rebound from the suck he was last year and McGehee has to prove he wasn't a 1 year wonder.

umphrey
03-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Capuano also throwing well in garbage time exhibition. I like this, unlike last year we have a number of forgotten guys that have a chance to break through and make the roster. We should have some pitchers at the AAA level with some value instead of last year when we had absolutely no one to call up.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Capuano also throwing well in garbage time exhibition. I like this, unlike last year we have a number of forgotten guys that have a chance to break through and make the roster. We should have some pitchers at the AAA level with some value instead of last year when we had absolutely no one to call up.

Eh, I don't see any pitching at the AAA level that's going to help us this year. Our most ready pitching prospect is in AA and even then he might be limited to bullpen. The guys that could potentially really help out are still pretty in low ball and at a few years away.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I was watching major leagues earlier this morning and I kept thinking...Willie Mays Gomez! Fast as hell, incredible in CF, but pops up and and hits in the air every at-bat.

I was excited about the trade and think once he gets everything together he has star potential. He just turned 24 and people give him a lot of crap for underachieving or calling him a bust but he is only 24 and most guys his age are just finally hitting the majors. I'm just pumped for the season. I hate this down time inbetween Packers and Brewers season

the_legend_killer
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
"Everytime you hit the ball in the air Gomez, you owe me 20 push-ups." - Ken Macha

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I was watching major leagues earlier this morning and I kept thinking...Willie Mays Gomez! Fast as hell, incredible in CF, but pops up and and hits in the air every at-bat.

I was excited about the trade and think once he gets everything together he has star potential. He just turned 24 and people give him a lot of crap for underachieving or calling him a bust but he is only 24 and most guys his age are just finally hitting the majors. I'm just pumped for the season. I hate this down time inbetween Packers and Brewers season

you mean the combine and march madness???

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I feel your pain man, but March Madness especially with two Wisconsin teams making it in has kept me content until baseball season opens up. I love the draft process and NFL offseason as well. Of course the offseason as a Packer fan is rarely eventful.

Still, whether they are looking to contend or to simply break .500, the start of each Brewer season makes me giddy.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 08:58 PM
you mean the combine and march madness???

Those two are great and good fillers but the are not something that are there every week. From August-January I know every Sunday I have a game to sit back and watch and then baseball season is heaven because you have a game 6 of 7 days a week!

Can anyone here deny that the next Sunday after the football season is over is just kind of crappy and feels odd? It's aweful

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 08:59 PM
"Everytime you hit the ball in the air Gomez, you owe me 20 push-ups." - Ken Macha

:D lol I hope he does that to, it seemed to work for Willie Mays Hayes!

Whistler6
03-13-2010, 10:52 PM
If I hear the argument that Jeff Suppan has to be in the rotation because, "They are paying him too much money to be long relief," I am going to lose it. LOSE IT! He hasn't been good this spring, he was ****ing terrible last season, and he deserves to be on the bench.

Pay him to sit, I don't care. He is a detriment to the growth of this team. I have nothing against Suppan as a person, but as a pitcher he is long past productivity. However, this is one case where I would love to have to stick my foot in my mouth.

cvv84
03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
If I hear the argument that Jeff Suppan has to be in the rotation because, "They are paying him too much money to be long relief," I am going to lose it. LOSE IT! He hasn't been good this spring, he was ****ing terrible last season, and he deserves to be on the bench.

Pay him to sit, I don't care. He is a detriment to the growth of this team. I have nothing against Suppan as a person, but as a pitcher he is long past productivity. However, this is one case where I would love to have to stick my foot in my mouth.

Yeah I've seen some places talking about how its either going to be Bush or Parra for the 5th spot in the rotation after Suppan which is just ridiculous. I just hope that Wolf doesn't turn into our next Suppan.

umphrey
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I've got the impression that they are going to force Suppan to earn a spot on the team, let alone in the rotation. There's no saving face about his salary anymore. If Narveson or Bush are clearly better there isn't much reason to keep Suppan for salary reasons and moving him to LR would essentially make him our 6th starter. That would be preferable to starting a bum IMO.

Maybe the organization tells him his shoulder hurts and he goes on the DL for awhile. That wouldn't be bad.

Whistler6
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
This was not an encouraging Jeff Suppan outing for Brewers fans.

Although he didn’t think so, saying he got his curveballs and changeups over for strikes. But the stat line – four home runs in four innings of work that he and Ken Macha suggested the wind had something to do with – suggested he got beat up.

As for the wind thing, he gave up a couple of homers to center, where the fence is 430 feet away, and those cleared by plenty.

Suppan also got a couple of long fly ball outs to the CF warning track which would have been out on a normal 400-foot fence.

“He was up with some pitches,” Macha said. “The wind was blowing pretty hard out there. Not a good day to get the ball up in the air.

“He didn’t’ have the ball down enough. He gave up four home runs and I thought maybe two of them were legit.”

Enough! Suppan has nothing left. He has not had a solid inning yet this spring. Enough I say! Here's the rest of the game summary, which the Brewers won 10-8 DESPITE Suppan's terrible performance.

On the plus side, Alcides Escobar has been very good so far this spring. Maybe the talent level and competition isn't what it will be once we hit opening day, but they should be encouraged by his showings to this point.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87625257.html

Packystan
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree. Escobar has been playing extremely well thus far, but I'm still pressing for Macha to bat him leadoff with Weeks in the 2 whole. I think putting Weeks in front of Braun would be ideal because it would allow him to drive in more runs, while seeing a ton of fastballs. I've been pushing for Weeks to bat in the 2 whole for a while now, but we really never had a guy who could hit for contact and consistently steal a base when needed, but Escobar is proving every day that he can provide that. If memory serves me correctly, Rickie was just as terrible seeing the off speed stuff as Hart, so I think the move would be extremely beneficial for Rickie and the team.

My lineup based off spring training so far would be:

Escobar
Weeks
Braun
Fielder
McGehee**
Gomez*
Hart
Zaun
Pitcher

* As much as I like Carlos Gomez, if Jim Edmonds keeps up the play he's shown this spring, how could you not put this guy in your opening day lineup? You really dont lose that much, if anything defensively, and he's proving he can still hit.

** That being said, if Edmonds is inserted into the starting lineup, I'd rather have him protecting Prince than I would McGehee, or Hart. He always puts up good at bats, goes deep into counts, and rarely strikes out. Perfect veteran protection for the big guy. Theres a reason why LaRussa had him protecting Pujols for all those years.

princefielder28
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Gomez will be batting eighth no matter what. He may be having a good spring but he's been nothing more than a .250 hitter in his career and sticking him at six would be asking for trouble because he's not a run producer. You would lose alot though if Edmonds played center instead of Gomez. I don't know if there's a player in the league who covers more ground than Carlos. The Brewers problem is really not their offense, especially the power part of their lineup, and favoring Edmonds over Gomez would do be a poor choice.

cvv84
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Gomez will be batting eighth no matter what. He may be having a good spring but he's been nothing more than a .250 hitter in his career and sticking him at six would be asking for trouble because he's not a run producer. You would lose alot though if Edmonds played center instead of Gomez. I don't know if there's a player in the league who covers more ground than Carlos. The Brewers problem is really not their offense, especially the power part of their lineup, and favoring Edmonds over Gomez would do be a poor choice.

What he said.

Gomez needs ABs if he's going to improve. All Edmonds is there for is to provide some veteran leadership and hit lefties during spot duty and pinch hits. As PF28 mentioned, Gomez has exceptional range in CF which in valueable in itselft.

Whistler6
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Narveson has been solid this spring and had an Era under 4.00 last season in spot duty. Not great by any means, but he has the stuff. He has control, and he is out of options back to the minor leagues.

I know the Heads in Milwaukee are going to let him hit waivers, get snatched up by another team, and they will put Suppan in the starting rotation. Take the chance, flop Suppan and his bank roll down in the bullpen and give this kid his shot. Could he be worse than the 5.50+ era that J-Supp worked with all last season?

Narveson had 16 walks, 46 K's and an Era of 3.83 in 47 innings with the Brewers last season. It's a risk, but I don't see why not.

RyanBraun8
03-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Suppans 4 homer game the other day was nice as he continues his dominate ways! Is it not in the best interest for the Brewers to accept their loses and release him? I think paying him 12.5 mil to be unemployed is an upgrade over paying him 12.5 mil to have a 6.00 ERA and lose us games. Why let one of three much better and cheaper pitchers leave (Parra, Bush, Narveson) 1 of the 4 will not make the team and Suppan is by far the weakest link. I like Parra and Bush for the 4-5 with Narveson as the LR/Spot Starter. It is sad we will lose one of those three because the Brewers will not be will to dump Suppan.

I can't wait for the 20 million between Hall and Suppan to come off the books next season and right into Fielder and Gallardo's pockets! I think there is one more contract that comes of also that is a decent amount but can't think of it

Whistler6
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM
The Panthers realized Delhomme can't take them where they want to go, so they released him and still are paying his 12 million. Acknowledge a lost cause/mistake and part ways. If he makes the rotation, I'll root like hell for him...But I don't see it.

Me too! I cannot wait for the 20 mill to be paid in full. Even better, Escobar and Carlos Gomez are making $1.5 million combined this year. Cameron made $10 million last season, and Hardy is making $5.1 million from the Twins this season. ANY production from the new guys will be a bonus. Melvin deserves credit there.

umphrey
03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan are anchoring down this franchise in the bad way but that stops next year. The only guy on the roster with the potential to do that kind of damage is Randy Wolf but he's making less and I really think he's more reliable to not fall apart or stop caring (Suppan did both I think).

RyanBraun8
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Okay this is rediculous! If Shitpun makes the team over Parra, Bush, or Naverson I may loss it! Doug, please, please, please cut your loses, pay him 14.5 million (next years buyout is additional 2 mil) unemployment and show you want what is best for the team. Keeping a guy because you owe him money is not a good reason.

Today he gave up 6 hits, 3 walks, a HR and 5 runs in only 3 innings. Had to vent because I have a feeling they will keep him anyways and lose one of 3 better pitchers in the process. The mere fact that the fans already started booing him last season should be a sign it is time for him to go.

Does anyone know why the Brewers always score so many more runs when crappy pitchers like Suppan and Looper pitch and never score when Gallardo or back in the day Sheets pitched? It is amazing how our worse pitchers are always the ones with all the wins. I think last year the brewers averaged over 6 runs a game when Looper pitched and only like 2. something with Gallardo

princefielder28
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Suppan is so awful...I don't think the National could find a spot in their rotation for him.

RyanBraun8
03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice to see Gomez is starting to get warm, he is 6-14 in the last 4 games raking up 3 2 hit games. He also has 8 stolen bases so far. Bad news is he is still not walking at all and his GO/AO is only 1.00 :/

RyanBraun8
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Suppan is so awful...I don't think the National could find a spot in their rotation for him.

Yeah agreed, I mean it is spring training, you shouldn't get this shelled everytime out when every game half the guys he face are minor leaguers. He is doing a good job of helping some opposing players make their teams though! He makes every batter look like an all-star.

What was it his last outing he gave up 5 bombs and also an additional 3-5 balls that were caught right at the wall? Wind or not that is horrid

cvv84
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Suppan isn't going anywhere. There's no way we're going to just release him and pay him to play elsewhere. It would have to be via trade where we pay most of his salary, like we did with Bill Hall.

Suppan was also forced into being our #2 starter last year. This year he'd be our #4 at best. Thats huge for a guy with the limitations Suppan has. He is what he is. He stays healthy and eats innings.

Its not like Parra is playing his way into a rotation spot either. We're thin at starting pitcher so its going to be the same team that needs to pound in runs.

Whistler6
03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Okay this is rediculous! If Shitpun makes the team over Parra, Bush, or Naverson I may loss it! Doug, please, please, please cut your loses, pay him 14.5 million (next years buyout is additional 2 mil) unemployment and show you want what is best for the team. Keeping a guy because you owe him money is not a good reason.

Today he gave up 6 hits, 3 walks, a HR and 5 runs in only 3 innings. Had to vent because I have a feeling they will keep him anyways and lose one of 3 better pitchers in the process. The mere fact that the fans already started booing him last season should be a sign it is time for him to go.

Join the club my friend...I've been venting about him for the past few pages. See above. It's a damn shame that money is playing such a role in management's decisions regarding Suppan.

I don't think it's from lack of effort, so I'll give him that. But when a guy doesn't have it anymore, he just doesn't have it. I would hate to see one of the young up-and-comers leave this team because of Suppan's indigestable salary.

Whistler6
03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Suppan isn't going anywhere. There's no way we're going to just release him and pay him to play elsewhere. It would have to be via trade where we pay most of his salary, like we did with Bill Hall.

Suppan was also forced into being our #2 starter last year. This year he'd be our #4 at best. Thats huge for a guy with the limitations Suppan has. He is what he is. He stays healthy and eats innings.

Its not like Parra is playing his way into a rotation spot either. We're thin at starting pitcher so its going to be the same team that needs to pound in runs.

Sad but true. Gallardo, Wolfe, and Davis are locks. The next 2 spots are between Parra, Bush, Narveson, and Suppan right? Narveson is out of options and he's pitching so well, I would truly hate to see him let go.

Last season I was stoked during games when Suppan would make his way through 6 innings only giving up 4-5 runs. 6 inning and 4 earned runs equals a 6.00 era. That is terrible, but about as much as we can expect from him. Like you said, he stays healthy and eats innings...

They basically swallowed the majority of Bill Hall's salary despite trading him to the M's. I don't think they want to do that again, expecially with how much Suppan is due. No team will take on that salary no matter how favorable the trade might be. We are stuck with him.

The question is though, what do they do with the final 2 spots?

Whistler6
03-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice to see Gomez is starting to get warm, he is 6-14 in the last 4 games raking up 3 2 hit games. He also has 8 stolen bases so far. Bad news is he is still not walking at all and his GO/AO is only 1.00 :/

You'll be hard-pressed to find a speedier outfield than Braun-Gomez-Hart. There is some insane range with those 3 guys. Gomez and Escobar might struggle offensively, but they burn rubber. Defensively atleast, the Brewers should be very good.

The thing is with this lineup, they have a bunch of players who don't need to be superstars. Braun and Fielder will provide their usual output, we just desperaretly need the rest of the players surrounding them to be average.

.220 averages with lots of K's won't cut it, but if the rest can hover around .260-.270 with some possible near-.300 hitters, they have insane potential to be a top flight offensive team in the NL.

RyanBraun8
03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Parra pitched very well in his his first 2 games and didn't pitch great but not horrid his last start. 5IP 6H 5ER OBB 5K's. Parra has great stuff, looked like a true number 2 pitcher to go along with Gallardo 2 years ago, and is still reasonably young. Yeah he struggled last year but it would be pretty hard to find a pitch who has never had a rough season. He dominated all through the minors, pitch great in first season with the Brewers and that goes to show he has the stuff to go it. It could have been as simple as going from a great pitching coach in Maddox to a aweful pitching coach in Castro. I think Peterson will get him back on track. No way he clears waivers.

Naverson pitched out of his ass last september, or so I thought.... Now he has gone out and continued to throw outstanding and if he hit waivers no way he clears with the way he has thrown.

If Bush could only pitch 5 innings a game he could be one of the best pitcher out there, but his 6th, 7th or 8th inning meltdown is bound to happen and it hits unexpectivly. Last season he was actually doing pretty well without having those meltdowns then he got absolutely smoked in his throwing arm, tried to pitch threw it and just got sheeled for the next 3 weeks balloning his ERA to make everyone believe he pitched aweful all season. He could trade him but he still offers a lot to the ball club.

Suppan.... who cares about the 14.5 million. Is the point of baseball to win games?? Is it worth putting pressure on our hitters once every 5 games that they must score at least 7 runs in order to win the game? I would hope they feel it is more important to win games over feel obligated to Suppan because of the money. We pay him 12.5 million a year to help the team and the best way he can help the team is not to pitch. We could trade him but we will still eat the whole contract.

The 2 options are:
1) Feel obligated and lose one of 3 pitchers (2 of whom are for sure better and one who appears to be better in Narveson). Accept a taking a guy who will have a high 5 ERA and put the team in situations to lose much more than he will to win.

or

2) Go the Panthers route as someone mentioned before and just accept that it is best for the team to cut your loses.

I feel bad because Suppan is such a nice guy and great in the community but man oh man is he just is a terrible pitcher who has gotten worse every year! No matter what, whether we trade him, cut him, or keep him we are going to have to play that salary... so it is what gives this team the best chance of making the playoffs. Hell send him to AAA for an emergancy starter in case of an injury, he will clear waivers and if he doesn't accept the demotion to bad, he is a free agent and we don't have to worry.

princefielder28
03-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I think Suppan and Parra will be the last two to make the rotation and Narveson will be sent to the bullpen. Dave Bush will be optioned down and my guess is that he'll accept b/c he won't find more money on the open market.

cvv84
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
They basically swallowed the majority of Bill Hall's salary despite trading him to the M's. I don't think they want to do that again, expecially with how much Suppan is due. No team will take on that salary no matter how favorable the trade might be. We are stuck with him.

If they can save a few million and get someone in return I'd be all for it. Why pay him $12 to play for us if we can pay him $10 million to play elsewhere?

Go the Panthers route as someone mentioned before and just accept that it is best for the team to cut your loses.

Baseball doesn't work like football though. Its a whole different beast. If we cut Suppan any team can claim him and pay the veterans minimum while we're stuck paying him the rest. There's just no way we're going to cut him loose and be on the hook for that amount of money.

Whistler6
03-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm all for trading Suppan and paying even 99% of his salary. If it is at all possible to get anything in return, it's worth it. And I would be just fine with Narveson being put in the bullpen as long as he isn't let go.

Of course I'm basing my information on him solely from last season and this spring, but the guy looks so promising. Macha has mentioned his control as a strong point more than a few times. I'm already on board after hearing that. God I can't wait until opening day.

Win or lose, I will ride this team through it all...I need daily baseball.

GB12
03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I think Suppan and Parra will be the last two to make the rotation and Narveson will be sent to the bullpen. Dave Bush will be optioned down and my guess is that he'll accept b/c he won't find more money on the open market.

Bush doesn't have any options left.

princefielder28
03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Bush doesn't have any options left.

I meant designate for assignment

GB12
03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I meant designate for assignment

I'm sure someone would pick him up if we did that.

princefielder28
03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sure someone would pick him up if we did that.

Someone could certainly pick him up if he declines the assignment, but there's no guarantee that someone would pay him the $4.2 million that he'd get with the Brewers. So he'd have decide to pretty much wait his turn in the Brewers organization or go elsewhere for less money and pitch right away.

cvv84
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
The thing I don't like about this season is that we're hinging it all on:

1) Hoping 34 year old Doug Davis and 33 year old Randy Wolf can solidify the rotation.

2) Hoping that Escobar and Gomez can at least be descent hitters.

3) Hoping that Casey McGehee can be more than a 1 year wonder. He kind of reminds me of Brady Clark during his breakout season followed by a subpar season thereafter. If Casey doesn't perform whe only have who, Counsell and Joe Inglett? And thats all assuming that Weeks makes it the entire season.

RyanBraun8
03-20-2010, 01:00 AM

1) Hoping 34 year old Doug Davis and 33 year old Randy Wolf can solidify the rotation.

I am not to worried actually about that, ff 67 starting pitchers in the NL who worked at least 100 innings, the Brewers had three of the bottom 10 in ERA. That is terrible. Davis and Wolfe pitching bad I except at the lowest a 5.00 ERA which is actually improve. With the pure fact that we where still in the race at the end of the season with that horrible of pitching which I think (not 100% sure) are starters ERA average was around 5.30 that is a good sign of how good our team is. To think that WEEK, JJ, Hart, were not factors at all that is huge. If Ricky (big if) stays healthy he truely is one of the most electric players in the bigs (which he was finally proving).

Escobar will at least give us more than Hardy hit wise last year (not hard) he also will give us extra runs this season because he offers speed that Hardy purely did not give us (his speed compares to an NFL lineman or at least close). Gomez it sucks not knowing how we will do but if he gets going and plays half of what he is capable of he won't miss Cameron ( Cameron like Gomez don't always make contact but he also offers incredible speed that Cameron didn't, we do lose the solo HR's though) Defensivly Gomez has been a nightmare so far in ST and has robbed hitter after hitter of hits, With Gomez, Escobar, and Weeks we prob have the most athletic and rangy middle than any team. That will save many runs right there and be a pitchers best friend. Plus Escobar from last season, winterball and ST has done nothing but out hit everyone (batting title in winter ball, hit 3.07 I believe last season and is hitting 4.00 in ST) as long as he gets on base he will cause hell.

3) Hoping that Casey McGehee can be more than a 1 year wonder. He kind of reminds me of Brady Clark during his breakout season followed by a subpar season thereafter. If Casey doesn't perform whe only have who, Counsell and Joe Inglett? And thats all assuming that Weeks makes it the entire season.

That is the biggest issue with Gamel being hurt, we need McGehee to hit. Inglett and Councell are good utilities but we do need McGehee or Gamel in there. Weeks I mentioned before and I pray to the baseball gods that he does stay healthy but history has shown he can't. If he does watch out, but he can't count on it.

I understand your worries and they are good ones but:
1) Our pitch can't be worse
2)outside of Braun, Fielder, and McGehee, and Lopez at the end of the year that was our offense so we also are not losing much.

and really this season we are playing the what if game, we could be great or we could be good. Hopefully he stay healthy and are great. Just have to have faith! LOL thats all we can do.

Pitching staff should be: I think
1) Gallardo
2) Wolfe
3) Davis
4) Bush
5) Parra
LR Naverson
MR Villenueva
MR Hawkins
MR Vargas
Loogy Steeter
8th Coffey
9th Hoffman

Hitters:
C Zahn
1B Fielder
2B Weeks
SS Escobar
3B McGehee
LF Braun
CF Gomez
RF Hart
UTIF Councell
UTIF Inglett
C Kotteras
UTOF Gerut
UTOF Edmonds

Batting order:
1) Weeks
2) Mcgehee
3) Braun
4) Fielder
5) Hart
6) Zahn
7) Gomez
8) Pitcher
9) Escobar

Nice thing is that McGehee and Hart will see plenty of balls right over the plate with teams not wanting to deal with our big 2 in Braun and Fielder
- it kind of sucks though with Zahn infront of Gomez because Gomez will run him off the bases and slow us down. Maybe if Gomez is hitting we can swap the 2.

That is IMO though so take it as you will

Whistler6
03-20-2010, 09:52 AM
The thing I love about this season is that we're hinging it all on:

1) Knowing 34 year old Doug Davis and 33 year old Randy Wolf can solidify the rotation.

2) Knowing that Escobar and Gomez will be better than descent hitters.

3) Finding out that Casey McGehee is more than a 1 year wonder. He kind of reminds me of David Wright, but better. If Casey needs help, Counsell and Joe Inglett will be great utility players. Weeks will make it the entire season...And hit .300 with 20+ homeruns and no errors in the field.

Fixed it.:rolleyes:

RyanBraun8
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Once again Gallardo wins a game by himself! 1-0 thanks to a nice long ball by Yo! Man if he ever (knock on wood) injuried his arm he should consider making the Rick Ankiel switch to the OF

Boston
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM

I don't know what kind of expectations you have for a small market team like Milwaukee, but those really aren't horrible ifs to rely on.

cvv84
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't know what kind of expectations you have for a small market team like Milwaukee, but those really aren't horrible ifs to rely on.

I know what to expect, just stating things that I think our season will hinge on.

Whistler6
03-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Here's a couple of pieces from the article on Brewers.com discussing their trade today of C Matt Treanor. It looks like a fair deal, and I'm excited to see what Kottaras can bring to the team. Because I doubt Zaun will be the workhorse Kendall was last year.

I read through the terms a few times hoping to see Suppan's name in there for a bag of balls or something, but no dice. Oh well. Opening Day roughly 2 weeks away!

The Brewers traded catcher Matt Treanor to the Rangers on Monday, giving George Kottaras the inside track to open the season as Milwaukee's No. 2 catcher.

In return for Treanor, the Brewers received 28-year-old infielder Ray Olmedo and assigned him to Minor League camp.

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised," Treanor said. "It's a really good situation for me and hopefully it works out for the Brewers as well. ... It's a good feeling to know that you're wanted."

The trade was made among a slew of roster moves Monday: Pitcher Josh Butler and infielder Adam Heether were optioned to Triple-A Nashville and outfielder Trent Oeltjen was returned to Minor League camp. The Brewers also added Minor League infielder Trent Green, the organization's 2007 Minor League Player of the Year, to big league camp.

Kottaras was the Brewers' pick for a number of reasons, including the fact he is already on the 40-man roster and is out of Minor League options. Kottaras, 26, is also eight years younger than the veteran Treanor, is under team control for five more years and offers more of an offensive element than the defense-first Treanor.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100322&content_id=8870968&notebook_id=8871012&vkey=notebook_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

umphrey
03-29-2010, 01:26 AM
I have a strong feeling that this is going to be the pitching staff. I'm 90% sure on the names, less so on where to place them:

S1: Gallardo
S2: Wolf
S3: Davis
S4: Dave Bush
S5: Jeff Suppan

LR: Narveson
LR: Parra
SR: Vargas
SR: Stetter
SR: Coffey
SR: Hawkins
CL: Hoffman

Pretty strong, especially the bullpen. Our 4th and 5th starters are weak but we have 2 starting pitchers in the bullpen, Villanueva and some other decent options in minor league ball to fill out the bullpen if Parra or Narveson move into the rotation.

princefielder28
03-29-2010, 07:27 AM
One week til opening day!!!!!

umphrey
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah I'm psyched I've been wearing my Braun and Fielder jerseys both once a week. Braun, Fielder, 30+ HRs at .300+, Gomez is going to suprise people, Escobar will be servicable at the plate and make some highlight real plays, Gallardo is/was/always will be an ace, Rickie Weeks is going to come back and play like he did last year before he got hurt, Counsell/Inglett/Edmonds are going to come up clutch when they get playing time. :)

Hart is going to suck :(
He's the only one I have little to no optimism for. And Suppan of course.

RyanBraun8
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a strong feeling that this is going to be the pitching staff. I'm 90% sure on the names, less so on where to place them:

S1: Gallardo
S2: Wolf
S3: Davis
S4: Dave Bush
S5: Jeff Suppan

LR: Narveson
LR: Parra
SR: Vargas
SR: Stetter
SR: Coffey
SR: Hawkins
CL: Hoffman

Pretty strong, especially the bullpen. Our 4th and 5th starters are weak but we have 2 starting pitchers in the bullpen, Villanueva and some other decent options in minor league ball to fill out the bullpen if Parra or Narveson move into the rotation.

Depressing..... Can't believe they are that willing to take loses just because they owe him money. Parra at least offers some great potential, when he is on he is hard to hit. Suppan is an inning eater which appears to no longer be a good thing. The more innings he pitches the more runs we need to crank out to win

umphrey
03-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Just one more year...I like Parra but some days he seems to be emotionally unstable or something, I don't know what causes him to get shelled some days and and not others. Or the most frustrating when he pitches really good for 5 2/3 innings and gives up 4 runs trying to close out the last out.

Hopefully Suppan gets moved to the pen and we only see him come in after we are down big time to eat up some meaningless innings in a lost game. I don't think the organisation will let go of Bush or Narveson and the rest of the bullpen is pretty much set in stone so that's probably the 12 pitchers you will see on the opening day roster.

cvv84
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
It sucks that our 5th pitcher will either be Suppan or Parra but at least Suppan isn't going to be our #2 like he was last year due to injuries to the staff. And really, we're talking about our 5th pitcher in the rotation which isn't really such a bad thing to be talking about. Many teams would love to be our position right now.

I'm more worried about how Go-Go and Escobar will handle the bat for an entire season.

RyanBraun8
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
best part is we only need the 5th pitcher like 2-3 times in April

Boston
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/suppan_headed_for_dl.html

Suppan to DL.

princefielder28
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/suppan_headed_for_dl.html

Suppan to DL.

never like to see someone get hurt but never like to see him on the mound either

RyanBraun8
03-30-2010, 07:52 PM
never like to see someone get hurt but never like to see him on the mound either

There truely is a baseball god!ha jk I feel bad for the guy and hate to see someone get hurt but as you said I also hate to watch him get rocked.

Whistler6
03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I will never cheer when a player gets injured. Good luck to Jeff Suppan's recovery, but I don't believe he would have been given the 5th spot regardless. On jsonline there's an article where Macha wouldn't even deny the possibility of Suppan being moved. It also said Narveson and Parra were battling for the 5th spot, not Supp. Sorry I'm too lazy to post the link.

With all the pitching woes, hitting needs to be discussed too. McGehee has struggled badly. He's hitting roughly .170 this spring. He says he feels as confident as ever, so hopefully its just part of his recovery.

Corey Hart on the other hand is batting .143, and I see that as a continuation of last season. I have only been able to catch a few games, but he hasn't seem to have progressed. With lineups being shuffled constantly and the better talent sitting out at times, that could be a major factor as well. Still, I'm nervous about Hart's and McGehee's production...We need them.

Whistler6
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Good food on the grill and the sound of Uecker's voice tells me the dog days of mid-summer baseball is near. And Opening Day being less than a week away has me stoked! I can't get enough of his ramblings right before he launches into a homerun call.

"...The highlight of my career? In '67 with St. Louis, I walked with the bases loaded to drive in the winning run in an intersquad game in spring training...A drive to deep right! Get up, get outta here, gone!"

Packystan
03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Good food on the grill and the sound of Uecker's voice tells me the dog days of mid-summer baseball is near. And Opening Day being less than a week away has me stoked! I can't get enough of his ramblings right before he launches into a homerun call.

"...The highlight of my career? In '67 with St. Louis, I walked with the bases loaded to drive in the winning run in an intersquad game in spring training...A drive to deep right! Get up, get outta here, gone!"

Ahhhh Ueck. What would Brewers radio be without you..

RyanBraun8
03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
I will never cheer when a player gets injured. Good luck to Jeff Suppan's recovery, but I don't believe he would have been given the 5th spot regardless. On jsonline there's an article where Macha wouldn't even deny the possibility of Suppan being moved. It also said Narveson and Parra were battling for the 5th spot, not Supp. Sorry I'm too lazy to post the link.

With all the pitching woes, hitting needs to be discussed too. McGehee has struggled badly. He's hitting roughly .170 this spring. He says he feels as confident as ever, so hopefully its just part of his recovery.

Corey Hart on the other hand is batting .143, and I see that as a continuation of last season. I have only been able to catch a few games, but he hasn't seem to have progressed. With lineups being shuffled constantly and the better talent sitting out at times, that could be a major factor as well. Still, I'm nervous about Hart's and McGehee's production...We need them.

I really wouldn't worry about the Spring Training numbers for McGehee or Hart. Spring training is usually very difficult for hitters because they are constantly facing a different pitcher and only playing half of most games. Not always easy to get into a grove. Plus lokk at last Spring, Hart destroyed pitchers all Spring as did McGehee, then Hart came into the season and dropped off and McGehee got comfy on the bench getting almost no PT for the first month, month in a half. Hart will rebound and McGehee picks up.

Hart reslly wasn't as horrible as people make it out to be. While his pitch selection was horrendious at times he actually walked more times last season than any other year in his career (and that is with him missing nearly 50 games) His k's would have been a little higher than usual and his power numbers went down but if you eliminate his injury from the picture. His average and OPS where is still about the same as where he has been. I think we will bounce back and if he can't we still have Edmonds and Gerut to take his place.

umphrey
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
The Suppan move was nothing but delaying a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the injury was something stupid like a sore neck.

Corey Hart's been declining ever since sneaking into the all star game a few years ago. He's got some major flaws and pitchers know what they are now. He needs to completely rethink his swing/approach at the plate to be a decent player.

RyanBraun8
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Cory is still a decent player, he just needs to get back to being a good player.

With Soup thats what I figured after the moved the start date back to March 26 and still threw a 90 pitch simulated game. If they want him to be the starting pitcher come the Cubs series, the first were they need a 5th starter, he will be able to come off the DL

umphrey
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope we keep Corey Hart on a short leash from falling into a platoon with Jim Edmonds in RF, because Edmonds is going to set the bar relatively high and Hart is dangling relatively low.

cvv84
03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
The Suppan move was nothing but delaying a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the injury was something stupid like a sore neck.

They placed him on the DL because of cervical disc pain. Go figure, Suppan's cervix is acting up...

Whistler6
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I really wouldn't worry about the Spring Training numbers for McGehee or Hart....

Hart reslly wasn't as horrible as people make it out to be. While his pitch selection was horrendious at times he actually walked more times last season than any other year in his career (and that is with him missing nearly 50 games) His k's would have been a little higher than usual and his power numbers went down but if you eliminate his injury from the picture. His average and OPS where is still about the same as where he has been. I think we will bounce back and if he can't we still have Edmonds and Gerut to take his place.

I don't buy that. Hart is 7 for 55 this spring with 2 walks and 17 strikeouts.

Batting average, 0.127
On base percentage, 0.158

I'm rooting hard for him to pull out of whatever this "funk" is, but I want to SEE something that makes me think he will.

On the plus side, both Narveson and Parra threw multiple scoreless innings yesterday. As long as they both make the roster I'm fine with one or both throwing from the pen. Macha says he might go with a 4-man rotation for the 1st couple weeks. But, he didn't rule out slotting Suppan as #5 when he comes back. Errr...

yodabear
04-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Ahhhh Ueck. What would Brewers radio be without you..

U mean Harry Doyle......man I could never hate the Brewers especially since Ueck is the man.

Boston
04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I'll never understand why Hart won his arby case. He must have people on the inside, because there is no way it was warranted.

Whistler6
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't buy that. Hart is 7 for 55 this spring with 2 walks and 17 strikeouts.

Batting average, 0.127
On base percentage, 0.158

I'm rooting hard for him to pull out of whatever this "funk" is, but I want to SEE something that makes me think he will.

On the plus side, both Narveson and Parra threw multiple scoreless innings yesterday. As long as they both make the roster I'm fine with one or both throwing from the pen. Macha says he might go with a 4-man rotation for the 1st couple weeks. But, he didn't rule out slotting Suppan as #5 when he comes back. Errr...

Macha hasn't named Hart the starter yet, and now there's talk he might start the season on the bench. In his last 27 at bats...1 hit. Jody F'n Gerut has a higher batting average than Hart does OBP. And Gerut is hitting well below .200

umphrey
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah I don't buy into spring training stats much but with Hart it's more of a "here we go again" feeling coming back.

Whistler6
04-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm surprised Mitch Stetter's struggles this spring hasn't been brought up much. Every box score I've seen, he's been getting lit up. He's basically penciled in, maybe in pen, as their lefty-specialist. So I'm hoping the ERA is just because he's been working on mechanics or something.

I'm nervous about all the "If" questions, but I'm extremely stoked for the season to start. Start the train, I'm riding that baby into the ground win or lose.

cvv84
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm surprised Mitch Stetter's struggles this spring hasn't been brought up much. Every box score I've seen, he's been getting lit up. He's basically penciled in, maybe in pen, as their lefty-specialist. So I'm hoping the ERA is just because he's been working on mechanics or something.

I'm nervous about all the "If" questions, but I'm extremely stoked for the season to start. Start the train, I'm riding that baby into the ground win or lose.

He was outstanding last year. I'm not too worried. Some guys are lights out during spring training and flop durin the season and vice versa. If our pitching can stay healthy and Go-GO and Escobar can get on base I think we'll be alright.

umphrey
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Don't stress about spring training. It's especially tough for pitchers IMO. I think they've been putting him up against right handed hitters so he gets innings. Otherwise he would go in there for one batter and exit, not much experience.

Whistler6
04-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Good point, but it's still hard for a guy to suddenly flip the switch on. I would say more so for hitter than pitchers, because pitchers are more so working on different pitches and such.

Red Sox-Yankees right now...Seeing Bill Hall with a fat dip in his mouth, and congratulating guys as they come back into the dugout almost makes me miss the guy. Wait, no. Doug Melvin is still paying for him anyway isn't he, so it's as if he's still with us at heart.

cvv84
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Good point, but it's still hard for a guy to suddenly flip the switch on. I would say more so for hitter than pitchers, because pitchers are more so working on different pitches and such.

Pitchers don't really get into their routines during spring training. Give them a few weeks and we'll know what we have. Its only Stetter too. If it were Hoffman or Gallardo I might be a little more concerned.

Whistler6
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
The local news channel TMJ4 just said August 28th is CC Sabathia bobblehead day. Um, what? That had to be a mistake right?

the_legend_killer
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
The local news channel TMJ4 just said August 28th is CC Sabathia bobblehead day. Um, what? That had to be a mistake right?

No it's not. CC one of the, if not the primary reason the Brewers made the playoffs in 2008 and deserves to get a Bobblehead, even if he left for the money (Which, come on, everyone had to see coming). What other big moment happened in the 00's? Chad Moeller Cycle Bobblehead Day?

princefielder28
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Weeks
Gomez
Braun
Fielder
Edmonds
McGehee
Zaun
Escobar
Gallardo

opening day lineup!!!!

Packystan
04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
OPENING DAY!

Glad to see Edmonds protecting Prince. I was predicting that move, but at the cost of Gomez, not Hart. I wonder how, or if thats going to shake things up at all in the clubhouse.

GB12
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
OPENING DAY!

Glad to see Edmonds protecting Prince. I was predicting that move, but at the cost of Gomez, not Hart. I wonder how, or if thats going to shake things up at all in the clubhouse.

I do not want 40 year old Jim Edmonds playing center field, and I especially do not want to see an outfield of Braun-Edmonds-Hart. That would be a disaster defensively.

I have no problems with Edmonds starting over Hart, because Hart has been terrible still. Hopefully he gets his **** together sometime this year.

Packystan
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I do not want 40 year old Jim Edmonds playing center field, and I especially do not want to see an outfield of Braun-Edmonds-Hart. That would be a disaster defensively.

I have no problems with Edmonds starting over Hart, because Hart has been terrible still. Hopefully he gets his **** together sometime this year.

I agree with you. I hinted Edmonds in center towards the beginning of spring training, before Harts struggles became more evident.

Boston
04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
It's worth having Gomez in the starting lineup just because of his defense. Not to mention the fact that he's a young player that can grow over the year and hopefully not be a liability at the plate.

Whistler6
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
No it's not. CC one of the, if not the primary reason the Brewers made the playoffs in 2008 and deserves to get a Bobblehead, even if he left for the money (Which, come on, everyone had to see coming). What other big moment happened in the 00's? Chad Moeller Cycle Bobblehead Day?

I just would've expected a bobblehead day based on a current Brewer and not someone who played on the team for a couple months. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated CC's time here more than any other moments in recent memory. It just confused me.

GB12
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Gomez HR and a Braun bunt. Doing things backwards today I guess.

Whistler6
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Well on the bright side Gomez is on pace for 150+ steals and 150+ HR's...

Initial reaction though, is Greg Zaunn really that slow? Man oh man. Yo picthed well, they have great speed, and I'm excited to see the Prince-Braun tandem continue to rake. Prince, to quote Gus Johnson, "He's in shape!"

It's going to be a fun season.

umphrey
04-06-2010, 01:18 AM
I called it Gomez the Brewer in the National league will be a success. He was lights out today and although he can't keep up that pace I expect him to be a feature at the plate, not a liability.

Season opener showed how important that #5 spot is behind Prince. Jim Edmonds with some missed opportunities there. I like McGehee batting 5th personally, though it's a tough call. Maybe they were thinking the same thing and went with experience over youth.

Really like having some blazing speed on the team with Escobar, Weeks, Gomez and Braun can run. Same with Hart when he plays.

umphrey
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Suppan threw 105 pitches in Arizona. He's obviously healthy they are just trying to throw him back to minor league ball, lol.

umphrey
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
My man Casey McGehee homers in 3 runs from the #5 spot, where he should be hitting from!

That #5 hitter is so crucial to our lineup. The top 4 consistently get hits and the bottom 4 don't contribute often but that #5 slot is constantly getting opportunities to get RBIs by the bunches, usually with 2 outs too.

GB12
04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Rickie Weeks HR! That looks like the same home run stroke he had early last year.

Whistler6
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
The New York Yankees President just fired back at the Brewers' owner Mark Attanasio:

New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy) president Randy Levine fired an executive-level brushback pitch at Milwaukee Brewers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=mil) owner Mark Attanasio.

Levine's message: Stop whining.

Levine believes Attanasio should stop publicly lamenting the Brewers' troubles in signing first baseman Prince Fielder (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5915) while pointing out how much the Yankees spend on salaries.

"I'm sorry that my friend Mark continues to whine about his running the Brewers," Levine told ESPNNewYork.com in a phone interview Tuesday morning. "We play by all the rules and there doesn't seem to be any complaints when teams such as the Brewers receive hundreds of millions of dollars that they get from us in revenue sharing the last few years. Take some of that money that you get from us and use that to sign your players. The question that should be asked is: Where has the hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue sharing gone?"

The Yankees' payroll is expected to be about $200 million this year; the Brewers' will be in the $80 million range.

Levine made his comments in reaction to an Attanasio quote in a USA
Today story about the average salaries of this year's players.

Attanasio -- as he has done before -- made sure to mention the discrepancy in how much the Yankees spend on players in comparison to other teams.

"We're struggling to sign [Fielder] and the Yankees infield is making more than our team," Attanasio told the paper.

The Yankees infield will make $85.225 million this year. Third baseman Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3115) will make $33 million, which is slightly less than the Pirates' entire payroll of nearly $35 million.

Derek Jeter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3246), who is a free agent at the end of the season, will take in $22.6 million. Mark Teixeira (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4937) is scheduled to earn $20.625 million.
Robinson Cano (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6204), meanwhile, must survive on a measly $9 million.

Fielder, who is represented by Scott Boras, is a free agent at the end of the 2011 season. Boras' clients usually wait until free agency before signing, but the two sides are reportedly in negotiations.

In the initial seven years of the luxury tax, the Yankees have paid teams nearly $175 million in revenue sharing, according to the BizofBaseball.com. That is 92 percent of the total revenue sharing that has been doled out.

I'm basically indifferent on this situation. Do I think it blows teams like New York and Boston can shell out near-$200 million for a team when smaller markets can't? Yeah of course. Of course I wish we could have afforded CC.

But in the end, that's the way it is. Nothings going to change, so we just have to deal with it. Personally I think Attanasio as done one hell of a job transforming the Brewers from essentially the Pirates to a team we can rally behind with REAL excitement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/news/story?id=5060292

Whistler6
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Ahh, I wish I could watch the game on TV. The Bucks are on FSN, which is a nice substitute. But I am craving baseball!

GB12
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Do you not get WMLW

cvv84
04-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Trevor time. Brewers win!

umphrey
04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Wolf has a good attitude. He pitched well I thought against some tough hitters and bad luck, but like he said wasn't a "cap tipping" performance. 72 of 97 pitches for strikes and 6.2 innings. That's what we need him to bring. In the past we've had pitchers issue too many walks.

Randy Wolf knew the home fans were being generous.
As the veteran left-hander strode to the dugout in the top of the seventh inning Tuesday night at the end of his first start for the Milwaukee Brewers, the gathering of 37,344 at Miller Park saluted him with a standing ovation.
It was as much a welcome to Milwaukee as it was an acknowledgment of Wolf’s gritty performance. He soaked it in but didn’t offer the usual acknowledgement of tipping his cap.
“It wasn’t a cap-tipping worthy performance,” said Wolf, the Brewers’ big off-season acquisition with a three-year, $29.75 million free-agent deal.
“I’ve got to pitch better than that.”

I'm excited to see what Kottaras does today. He has some potential I think.

princefielder28
04-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Todd Coffey <3

Packystan
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
What are the odds Macha and the Brewers brass are trying to showcase Carlos for a future trade?

GB12
04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Zero. You don't showcase a player for a trade in a one run game.

Packystan
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I just raised the question for the simple fact that they had Vargas ready to go, but instead stalled and went with Carlos. Maybe it's because they liked his changeup against Ian Stewart if he didn't get Olivo out, who knows. Villanueva has been subject to trade rumors lately, and its been stated that when Suppan comes off the DL, Carlos would be the odd man out. It was just a hypothetical.

Packystan
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Man, LaTroy makes 95 look effortless. Great work.

princefielder28
04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Man, LaTroy makes 95 look effortless. Great work.

The way he hides the ball with his release must make it look even faster for the batter; tough guy to face.

princefielder28
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
A series win to begin the year against a playoff team is huge. Now onto the Cardinals, who we all love.

drowe
04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes. 2/3 against a solid team like that is a great start. Especially considering how poorly we played the Rockies in the past. Good to have 'em halfway done for the year. :)

Whistler6
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Stat of the day: 5 scoreless IP by the bullpen.

I knew Latroy Hawkins was solid a few years back, but he looks as good as I've ever seen. Forget the fact he throws 95, the guy has a knack for throwing strikes. Pound the zone, and good things are likely to happen.

umphrey
04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
7 Brewers (6 starters) hitting .333+
Starting pitchers averaging ERA=5.60 and IP=5.2-6
Bullpen averaging ERA=2.46
Hitting has been good, bullpen has been great, starting pitching needs improvement.
Starting pitching was pulled down by Davis today but the top of the rotation is supposed to balance the bottom and we haven't even seen the bottom yet.

I came up with those stats myself so they are probably right but if you consider my latest math homework/exams, error(s) are definitely possible. Then again that is differential equations and this is high school statistics.

cvv84
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
3 games already and I haven't been able to see 1 of them...

umphrey
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Same. Forgot to pay the cable bill. That's why I'm looking at statistics.

Whistler6
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
...Jeff Suppan has been named the 5th starter...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/90093562.html

Boston
04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey, at least there was open competition and the best player won...

princefielder28
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Yo's getting an extension!!!

GB12
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
5 years $30.1 million and a club option in 2015.

Whistler6
04-08-2010, 05:27 PM
5 years $30.1 million and a club option in 2015.

THAT along with Braun's contract are what I like to call "steals!" Great move, and I couldn't be happier for the guy.

I was looking at Randy Wolf's stats in his 1st start...Sure 6.2 IP and 4 ER doesn't blow you away, but 72 of his 97 pitches were strikes(75%). 0 walks and 8 strikeouts. I can't emphasize enough how happy 0 walks makes me.

umphrey
04-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Awesome news. I always pictured Yo going to the Yankees or Redsocks. With him and Braun locked up long term at very reasonable prices we are going to be competitive for the next 5 years without being anchored down by big contracts and able to sign some missing pieces.

cvv84
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
2 very nice defensive plays to start for McGehee and Escobar.

GB12
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
It's funny how they keep talking about how accurate this Fox Trax is and then it is way off twice in a row.

cvv84
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
It's funny how they keep talking about how accurate this Fox Trax is and then it is way off twice in a row.

Reminds me of 2-3 years ago when Fox's radar guns were showing 3-5 mph more than other broadcasts.

Boston
04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
LaTroy Hawkins is a pimp.

umphrey
04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Escobar has been a surprising spark in our offense this year

Whistler6
04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I love bunting for base hits and RBI groundouts. The HR's will come, but "manufacturing" runs with small ball is a welcoming sight.

Bush looked solid, especially that 69 mph curveball, but once again that 6th inning is a killer.

umphrey
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Can we trade regular season Zaun for spring training Zaun? He's 0-11 so far.

GB12
04-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Well....Damn.

umphrey
04-09-2010, 10:10 PM
NO TREVOR NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

one more strike...

Whistler6
04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
That hurts.

umphrey
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
He hasn't been able to paint that corner this year. More balls outside and more strikes that pass through too much of the plate.

princefielder28
04-09-2010, 11:27 PM
LaTroy Hawkins is a pimp.

If anything happens to Trevor it's nice to know we have a quality guy behind him like Hawkins

cvv84
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice to see Gallardo getting shelled after signing a $30 million extention and our hitters, as typical, struggling against a rookie pitcher...

princefielder28
04-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Nice to see Gallardo getting shelled after signing a $30 million extention and our hitters, as typical, struggling against a rookie pitcher...

It's nothing to worry about though, only one game.

cvv84
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
It's nothing to worry about though, only one game.

I knew that was the response I would get, just making an observation. ;)

umphrey
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Manny Parra making his debut when we are down 6 runs. Got to think that puts him below Narveson (and Suppan) in the starting rotation and the bottom of the bullpen as well.

Fielder 0-4 with 3 SO, Braun 0-4, Gallardo 6 ER, Gomez 6 LOB
ugly ugly game that needs to end soon and be forgotten
Gomez (by himself) stranded twice as many runners as the entire Cardinals team

princefielder28
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
never good to lose a game when your ace is on the mound going up against the opposing team's 5th starter...tomorrow will be even tougher with Carpenter on the mound for the Cards.

princefielder28
04-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Nice job Randy Wolf! a lead-off double and walk go for nothing after Pujols, Holliday and Molina step to the plate.

cvv84
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I hope this is the year we get a full, healthy season out of Weeks.

GB12
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Suck it Carpenter

cvv84
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Suck it Carpenter

Hahaha. Now that was a blast from Hart!

cvv84
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Freese giving us 2 runs. Lets make them pay for giving us 2 more outs.

GB12
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm glad Prince held up at the end of that outburst. That could have been some disastrous media attention if he carried it out a little further.

cvv84
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Consecutive walks? The later with the bases loaded and Carpenter on deck. Come on Wolf...

cvv84
04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Braun gets it going for the sluggers. Brewers with 4 HRs. Carpenter gave up all of 7 HRs last season.

Whistler6
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm glad Prince held up at the end of that outburst. That could have been some disastrous media attention if he carried it out a little further.

Whew, no kidding. Personally I love seeing Prince flip out. Some will see it as immaturity, but I'll chalk it up as passion. Wolf did well tonight. I think he was fortunate to get out of that bases loaded inning, especially after the walk.

It's nice to see the return of the homerun...Hey, even Corndog Hart joined the party!

cvv84
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Go ******* figure.

cvv84
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
There it is, another blown save for Hoffman.

umphrey
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh god we no longer have a closer. This game was going so well for everyone on the team.

Boston
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Jesus ******* christ Hoffman.

cvv84
04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
WHOOOOO HOOOO Suck my McGehee Cardinals!

yodabear
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
WHOOOOO HOOOO Suck my McGehee Cardinals!

Really smart post after we took two out of three at Miller Park......

umphrey
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
McGehee the hero of the day. Walk off HRs must feel so awesome.

cvv84
04-11-2010, 10:19 PM

But you lost the sweep!! Whooo suck my nuts!! :D

yodabear
04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
But you lost the sweep!! Whooo suck my nuts!! :D

No thanks, only princefielder's......

Whistler6
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Don't sneak onto another team's board just to rub it in. Let us feel good after a win...Did we jump over to say **** off when Hoffman blew the save the other night?

Nice win, thank God. Hoffman will rebound. BOTH blown saves came with 2 outs, one with 2 outs and 2 strikes. Hoffman's a professional, he'll figure this out. If not? Ah, I can't imagine.

yodabear
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Don't sneak onto another team's board just to rub it in. Let us feel good after a win...Did we jump over to say **** off when Hoffman blew the save the other night?

Nah, we aren't cool enough to have a fan discussion......

princefielder28
04-11-2010, 10:40 PM
No thanks, only princefielder's......

any time yoda, just let me know :)

umphrey
04-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Nice win, thank God. Hoffman will rebound. BOTH blown saves came with 2 outs, one with 2 outs and 2 strikes. Hoffman's a professional, he'll figure this out. If not? Ah, I can't imagine.

I hope you're right. It's his age that worries me. 3 HRs and 2 blown saves in only 4 appearances. I don't want to get ahead of myself but if that's a sign of things to come Coffey would make a good closer I think. It would suck to lose him as a reliever though.

I'm glad I was wrong about Corey Hart so far.

The season's still so young, I'm not jumping to conclusions yet, just thinking about the future.

yodabear
04-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I hope you're right. It's his age that worries me. 3 HRs and 2 blown saves in only 4 appearances. I don't want to get ahead of myself but if that's a sign of things to come Coffey would make a good closer I think. It would suck to lose him as a reliever though.

I'm glad I was wrong about Corey Hart so far.

The season's still so young, I'm not jumping to conclusions yet, just thinking about the future.

I agree completely that he will come back. I mean, I don't wanna brag or anything, but the Cardinals are good and that is who he struggled against. Hoffman is not the all time leader saves leader by luck, he is ******* good, and he will come back. Its not like he is blowing them against the Pirates and stuff, thats when I start to worry about the Cardinals' closers.

GB12
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
3 run HR for Braun kind of gets us back in it.

I'm liking the Milwaukee jerseys.

umphrey
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Reports are Fielder is seeking $200 mil. That number probably came from his agent. Throw out a lofty number into the public consciousness and you might loosen up some wallets. I'm going to come out and say what everyone (me included) doesn't want to hear: we won't and shouldn't sign Fielder. In 5, 6, 7, 8 years what are the chances that we going to be kicking ourselves for committing to his $20mil/year contract? Too high, too high...

cvv84
04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Reports are Fielder is seeking $200 mil. That number probably came from his agent. Throw out a lofty number into the public consciousness and you might loosen up some wallets. I'm going to come out and say what everyone (me included) doesn't want to hear: we won't and shouldn't sign Fielder. In 5, 6, 7, 8 years what are the chances that we going to be kicking ourselves for committing to his $20mil/year contract? Too high, too high...

His market is pretty limited if you ask me. The Yankee's have their 1st basement, the Red Sox don't spend a ton of money on hitting, and the only other teams I could see offering him top dollar would be the Mets, Angels, and Rangers. I'd love to keep him but it would have to be in the $125-150 range.

GB12
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Both the Yankees and Red Sox are very much in it.

Yankees wouldn't play Prince at first, he'd replace Nick Johnson (who's on a one year deal) as the DH.

David Ortiz is basically done and his contract ends this year with a club option. Boston could take that money and put it towards Prince.

Whistler6
04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I think I'm fooling myself right now believing Prince will take a discount to stay in Milwaukee. We were lucky with the contract Braun signed, but Fielder won't do the same.

I have no clue how this will work out.

umphrey
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Bush on the mound today. He is very underrated.

Before being struck by a line drive off the bat of Florida's Hanley Ramirez on June 4, Bush was well into the best stretch of his big-league career. Going back to the start of June 2008, Bush had compiled an 11-5 record and 3.52 ERA over a span of 30 starts.
And that didn't include his winning performance in Game 3 of the '08 National League Division Series against Philadelphia - still the Brewers' only postseason victory since 1982.
"A whole bunch of things were going right," said Bush, who also flirted with a pair of no-hitters during that period.Then he got hurt and pitched anyway because the team needed him and killed his numbers.

I wish he pitched 3rd in the rotation so it went R-L-R-L-R

princefielder28
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Corey Hart is batting second today with Gomez slidding down to seven. It'd be nice to see Zaun finally do something.

umphrey
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how Hart responds to a little more pressure. Gomez left a lot of RBI opportunities out there. When he came to the plate with men on base, I remember thinking "this is the last person in our lineup I want hitting in this position".

Watching Zaun has been agonizing. Some of it has been bad luck. He needs to ride a hot streak to get a respectable avg.

drowe
04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, Greg Zaun can just feel free to strike out.

As if it's not bad enough that he's batting .000, he's managed to turn most of his outs into double plays or situations like this where he costs us a runner at 3rd.

He'd have to be promoted to be called useless.

drowe
04-14-2010, 02:29 PM
See, nice having Zaun lead off an inning so he can just get himself out.

Although, I was worried he'd line one into the dugout and kill Ryan Braun. That'd be the next logical step for him.

princefielder28
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
See, nice having Zaun lead off an inning so he can just get himself out.

Although, I was worried he'd line one into the dugout and kill Ryan Braun. That'd be the next logical step for him.

Zaun scoring from first, someone get him oxygen! Gomez and Alcides provide big insurance hits/runs

umphrey
04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Bush came through today. Seems like whenever I hype a player he has a good day.

Too bad Hawkins had to go and ruin it.

Boston
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Catching **** from Cubs fans over this kind of loss is so ******* annoying.

Whistler6
04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Catching **** from Cubs fans over this kind of loss is so ******* annoying.

There is nothing more deflating than 8 innings of excellent baseball, followed by a complete meltdown. And yes, to top it off our state is filled with obnoxious F'n Cub fans.

Whistler6
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
So, they sent down Mitch Stetter to make room for Suppan? Maybe he only comes in for 1 batter every so often, but I think having that lefty "specialist" available is crucial. Parra and Narveson are lefties, but not situation guys like that.

Oh by the way, Supp's line after 5 innings:
5.0 IP - 6 Hits - 4 Runs - 4 Earned Runs - 1 BB - 4 SO's - 2 Homeruns - Era 7.20

Out of 81 pitches...44 have been strikes.

Boston
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Why can't we just admit Suppan was a horrible mistake and cut ties.

umphrey
04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Zaun raised his average by over 100 points so far today
I've said it before and I'll say it again: McGehee is clutch. He comes through with men on base.

umphrey
04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
2 outs, bases loaded, McGehee up, make me look like I know what I'm talking about please

Edit: damn. Can't do it every time. 3 run lead is plenty for Trevor (that Cardinals game was a fluke, it had to be)

cvv84
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Zaun raised his average by over 100 points so far today
I've said it before and I'll say it again: McGehee is clutch. He comes through with men on base.

I'd glad to see that Casey's bat continue over to this season. Braun has just been unreal too.

cvv84
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
**** you Hart.

umphrey
04-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Trevor got the save despite giving up 2 doubles.

Our offense showed some nice consistency scoring in 7 innings. That's pretty rare.

Edmonds, Braun, Zaun all with 3+ hits (can't believe I just noticed Braun-Zaun rhymed)

Also stealing a win when Suppan is matched up against Zambrano is pretty awesome

Boston
04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Trevor got the save despite Corey Hart's down syndrome.

Our offense showed some nice consistency scoring in 7 innings. That's pretty rare.

Edmonds, Braun, Zaun all with 3+ hits (can't believe I just noticed Braun-Zaun rhymed)

There you go.

umphrey
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I see. I was just watching the last 3 or so innings in gamecast and they didn't score it an error. I think it said he deflected it so I assumed he was chasing it and came up just short.

cvv84
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I see. I was just watching the last 3 or so innings in gamecast and they didn't score it an error. I think it said he deflected it so I assumed he was chasing it and came up just short.

The 1st one he completely lost it in the sun and the 2nd he was coming in and again couldn't really see it as he dove and it bounced past him. I liked how Weeks was chasing after that 2nd one, like he knew Hart was going to **** it up.

Whistler6
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
So, they sent down Mitch Stetter to make room for Suppan? Maybe he only comes in for 1 batter every so often, but I think having that lefty "specialist" available is crucial. Parra and Narveson are lefties, but not situation guys like that.

Oh by the way, Supp's line after 5 innings:
5.0 IP - 6 Hits - 4 Runs - 4 Earned Runs - 1 BB - 4 SO's - 2 Homeruns - Era 7.20

Out of 81 pitches...44 have been strikes.

Hate to quote myself, but I gotta find out what everyone else thinks about sending Stetter down. Do they allow Suppan the #5 spot all year if each outting is similar to this one?

princefielder28
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Hate to quote myself, but I gotta find out what everyone else thinks about sending Stetter down. Do they allow Suppan the #5 spot all year if each outting is similar to this one?

I think Suppan is going to be given six or seven starts before they consider moving on without him. I actually liked a bit of what I saw from him today. He didn't walk many and was keeping the ball down.

princefielder28
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Casey McGehee = Beast

cvv84
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
3 stolen bases already. I'm really liking the speed that was added to the lineup this year.

Hart makes a huge play in the OF and almost gets the double play. Nice to see him make a play like that after 2 "doubles" he allowed yesterday.

cvv84
04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Hart hit that so hard that he knocked Morgan back in the center!! Ok not really but it looked pretty funny. 2-1 Brewers

princefielder28
04-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Bullpen blows again :(

the_legend_killer
04-16-2010, 08:56 PM
LaTroy Hawkins, maybe needs the nickname of "The Spectrum" he's either at one end or the other.

Whistler6
04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Bullpen blows again :(

I can't F'n handle this. Barely 2 weeks in, and how many 8th inning leads have been lost? Too early to freak, but they should be about 8-2 right now.

Washington then the Pirates. The Brewers needs to take 2/3 from both of them. There has been so many positives to pull from the start of this season, stolen bases, bunts, Week and McGehee, Carlos V pitching excellent, but it's all for not if they can't hold a lead.

It's just so disappointing seeing 8 innings of great baseball spoiled in an instant.

cvv84
04-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Nice to see our pitching has improved...

Whistler6
04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Nice to see our pitching has improved...

I like to go against the grain and find a cause for optimism in every situation...But this is as bad as it gets. I guess the bright spot would be that as terrible as this season's start seems to be, they are only 4-6, 4-7 after today. Could be worse I suppose.

We could be Astros fans.

Whistler6
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Forget the fact that it's Livan freak'n Hernandez who shut the Brewers down today, he had 3 innings of less than 10 pitches.

princefielder28
04-17-2010, 02:41 PM
How pathetic was the game today??? WOW

Boston
04-18-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.lolblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/facepalm.jpg

umphrey
04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Both starting pitchers today have ERA in the 12s. One of them is going to rebound today. Please please please let it be Davis.

So far it feels like we are already traded our $200 million dollar man. 0 HRs and 3 RBIs through 42 ABs (11 games). He's getting on base some but he's not hitting for average (.262) or power (.333 slugging). The offense has been entirely Weeks, Braun and McGehee.

Weeks = unsung hero so far. Hitting a respectable .292 but with 8 walks and an OBP of .442 he's been on base more than anyone. Some ideal numbers for a leadoff man. He's not just a contact/get on base guy either, he has 2 HRs and 7 RBIs, 3rd on the team in both categories.

princefielder28
04-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Ryan Braun is so filthy good

cvv84
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
0 outs in the 1st for Marquis and the Brewers chase him from the game.