princefielder28
05-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Casey McGehee is the bestest everzzzz

princefielder28
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM
9 losses in a row...how fun!!!!

the_legend_killer
05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
What worries me is that now Macha, instead of having faith in his bullpen (Which I can't blame him for having none), is leaving his pitchers out there well beyond what they should be because they're doing well (Narveson Saturday and Wolf Today). Overexpanding starters like that is dangerous and leads to injuries.

Plus, this is turning into "Who's gonna **** it up today?".

umphrey
05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
All you can do is laugh at them at this point

Iím concerned about the fact that I suck
Yes, that would be my concern too

Honestly, the morale, the vibe is pretty good. Itís not bad, considering the circumstances
Considering the circumstances, anyone not breaking things would have a "positive" vibe

Itís a hard pill to swallow. We just need to play better. I wish I had that easy pill that would fix everything.
Just take a trip to Mexico

Itís not always overnight, but if you believe, itíll turn around.
They have accepted they suck, now they are on the step where they look for a higher power to help them recover

He did some Matrix (stuff)
That's what we need, some Matrix stuff...

umphrey
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
9 game losing streak going.

If we don't win today, it probably turns into a 13 game losing streak going into Minnesota, a good team, playing at home, that matches up well against us, and we don't do well against, playing AL rules...ugh, I think I'm going to read my last post again to cheer myself up.

umphrey
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Fielder and Braun are flipped in the order today. Change for change sake.

cvv84
05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Zach Braddock is being called up for the Twins series.

the_legend_killer
05-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Like what I saw outta Axford the last few nights. Brings some heat and seems to be able to control it.

GB12
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Villanueva in for the save.

the_legend_killer
05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Brewers win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston
05-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Brewers win and Braddock's being called up? Wow, now if Suppan or Vargas get DFA'd I'd probably be ecstatic.

Braun and Fielder need to be switched back to their original spots in the order though, if your going to make a change with the team, don't do it with the best ******* aspect of your team, god I hate Ken Macha.

the_legend_killer
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Zaun's heading to the DL, Lucroy's getting called up.

Whistler6
05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Brewers win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Untuck'em! Well deserved tonight, especially after coming from 3 down early. Narveson sucked it up and zoned in for the next 5 innings. I would continue to roll out the new bullpen arms as many times as possible before opposing teams get a 2nd or 3rd look at them.

They might not have the most electric stuff, but seeing a brand new pitcher out of nowhere can defintely throw off hitters. Axford's stache makes me like him even more. And now Braddock has been called up? I hope he gets a few innings during the Twins' series. Whether they struggle or not, I am excited to see some younger talent.

There's gotta be something to cheer for while they struggle like this.

Whistler6
05-21-2010, 12:39 AM
“We won a game the other day. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. If we win one tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before.”
-Lou Brown, Major League II

the_legend_killer
05-21-2010, 12:40 AM
I hadn't officially heard that Braddock was getting called up, just heresay. But with people coming and going, the roster moves before tomorrow's game will be very interesting.

cvv84
05-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Well this looks promising...

PackerLegend
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Atleast the Brewers are back to doing what they do best.

umphrey
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Game over, you 39,500 Twins fans can go home unless you are interested in a spring training game.

umphrey
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
That big fight between Bush and the umpire: score 0-0 Cuddyer batting with 1 out bases loaded 3-2 count got called a ball, Bush was livid thought it was a strike, I wonder what happens if that gets called a strike

princefielder28
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
That big fight between Bush and the umpire: score 0-0 Cuddyer batting with 1 out bases loaded 3-2 count got called a ball, Bush was livid thought it was a strike, I wonder what happens if that gets called a strike

Ed Rapuano is garbage for an umpire...Bush was never mentally the same

umphrey
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
So I'm always talking up Dave Bush, although I do think tonight was a fluke for him and he got screwed by bad luck on a bad day with a bad umpire, this stat line is pretty f*****.

0.1 IP, 7 ER, 189.00 ERA for the game

cvv84
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Its not like it was a bad call. It could've gone either way IMO. Damn has the talent level of this team rapidly declined...

Whistler6
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Happy Friday gentlemen...Atleast we have that.

princefielder28
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM
This sucks :(

Whistler6
05-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Its not like it was a bad call. It could've gone either way IMO. Damn has the talent level of this team rapidly declined...

The Brewers are in no way comparable to the Tampa Rays, but that was the potential I saw. Clearly I was overly optimistic, but I saw speed mixed with power, base stealers, less strikeouts, high OBP guys, solid defense, young-up-and-coming talent, fairly deep starting pitching, and a closer who knows how to get the job done. Wow, I could not have been more wrong...

My undying alegiance lies with the Crew, but if and when the Rays make the playoffs, it's going to be fun watching them play against the best. They have some incredible young talent. Carl Crawford, David Price and Evan Longoria are only 3, but that's an impressive core. Sorry for letting my thoughts drift to an AL team, but this is one tough stretch.

J-Mike88
05-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Ed Rapuano is garbage for an umpire...Bush was never mentally the same
On that note, and I'm glad you made that point, let me ask you a question about umpires and the bizarre inconsistent, random strike zone.

I heard a manager last week, I think the Mets, say get rid of umps calling balls and strikes, and utilize a little thing called technology to automatically call balls & strikes ACCURATELY by the book, instead of having umps call them how they feel like calling them.

Tennis has utilized similar technology to make sure calls are correct.
Soccer, many other sports do. It's easy.
It would be something put in jerseys where there'd be a sensor at their knees and at the letters (or wherever the official top of the zone is written to be), and a lazer would simply ready where the ball was when and if it passed over the plate. Simple, ball or strike. Always correct. No BS.

But how would you guys feel about that?
I'm sure the traditionalists that MLB are would never go for it though, although they don't mind having astericks do they.

princefielder28
05-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't want to get rid of umps in favor of technology, the human element helps make baseball what it is...the big problem I have is some umps thinking they're bigger than the game and looking for a great deal of attention...the best umps or referees are the ones we never really notice and just do their jobs

Whistler6
05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't want to get rid of umps in favor of technology, the human element helps make baseball what it is...the big problem I have is some umps thinking they're bigger than the game and looking for a great deal of attention...the best umps or referees are the ones we never really notice and just do their jobs

Yeah I agree. It's an interesting idea, but there is no way it would work in the game. Purists would never go for it, and I don't think most fans would either. My problem is like yours...Too many umps seem to have a chip on their shoulder. It's as if they are almost seeking out someone to toss out each night.

You never hear an umpire's name unless he's tossing out a player and jawing with a manager. It's an imperfect system, but I don't think there is any better way.

Boston
05-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Ed Rapuano is a piece of ****.

cvv84
05-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Hot damn I picked a good time to tune into the game! 5 runs in the 9th to take the lead!!!

Boston
05-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Is it just me, or have Brewers pitchers been getting squeezed this entire week?

On another note, why the **** was Braun the DH while Jody Gerut was put in LF? That move does not make any sense whatsoever. Maybe if Gerut was actually a defensive upgrade for Braun, but he isn't, and by doing this you throw Braun out of his rhythym and downgrade your defense in left field, which has hurt us at least twice so far this game....

cvv84
05-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Thata boy Corey!

Boston
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Double plays to end consecutive innings with base stealers on first base. Having speed is useless if you're not goint to use it Macha...

cvv84
05-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Braddock is finally being called up! This time its for realzzz.

princefielder28
05-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Braddock is finally being called up! This time its for realzzz.

It's about time!!!!

GB12
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Someone must have roided up Hart last month.

EvilMonkey
05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Someone must have roided up Hart last month.

no sh*t, that ball was hit a mile. We need to start doing that with more players.

princefielder28
05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Trevor finally pitches a good inning

Whistler6
05-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Trevor finally pitches a good inning

In his 1,000 career appearance too. As terrible as he has been this season, I have to take my hat off to him for that. Losing 2/3 sucks, but nice win today, especially with the young arms providing some quality innings.

Did I hear right, Hart's homerun was over 560 feet? That can't be right can it? Wow.

J-Mike88
05-23-2010, 04:20 PM
The Brewers have to thank the Twinkies for failing time & time again with runners in scoring position. Not just today, but yesterday too in that marathon.

Whistler6
05-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm having a hard time looking at your sig and avy after finding out you're a Twins fan. I can live with it. As long as you aren't a closet Vikings fan as well...? Jk, I kid.

EvilMonkey
05-24-2010, 06:13 AM
In his 1,000 career appearance too. As terrible as he has been this season, I have to take my hat off to him for that. Losing 2/3 sucks, but nice win today, especially with the young arms providing some quality innings.

Did I hear right, Hart's homerun was over 560 feet? That can't be right can it? Wow.

440 ft i think

GB12
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Lucroy is starting tonight.

Whistler6
05-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Lucroy is starting tonight.

I have to give Macha some credit for this. He has inserted some young arms into pressure situations and now allowing some young position players to see the field. Rather than wait until midseason and a lost season to bring up young players, he made the move much earlier than I would have expected. Hopefully they make a positive impact, or in the least provide as energy boost.

Imagine if Axford turns into a legit closer. The Ax, Stache-ford, "Axford with the hammer," I mean the nickname potential is endless. Could be fun. As far as Braddock, man I had no idea he was such a big dude.

Whistler6
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
440 ft i think

Braun's bomb tonight has to be close to that, if not farther. He barely got full extension and just blasted that ball to dead center.

princefielder28
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Randy Wolf, thank you!!!!

drowe
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Exciting time to be a Brewer fan. This influx of young pitchers almost reminds me of 5 years ago when we were seeing Rickie Weeks, Prince Fielder and JJ Hardy for the first time.

Estrada, Axford and Braddock are making this team watchable. Pretty pumped about Lucroy too.

the_legend_killer
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Exciting time to be a Brewer fan. This influx of young pitchers almost reminds me of 5 years ago when we were seeing Rickie Weeks, Prince Fielder and JJ Hardy for the first time.

Estrada, Axford and Braddock are making this team watchable. Pretty pumped about Lucroy too.

Besides the 17-27 record.

Whistler6
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Besides their manager being at the doorstep, their bullpen being in near shambles, the worst home record in the NL, Prince possibly being on the way out, Suppan making $13 mil to play long toss during pregame, besides Doug Davis pitching like a corpse, besides 120 pitches getting the starters barely through 5, but despite ALL that...It's a flip'n awesome time!

Jk, I love this team regardless. A .500 season will keep me glued all season. If it's worse, I'm still riding the wagon. But you're right, finally getting to see the farm system up with the big boys is exciting. Like you said, it takes me back to when Braun, Prince and the guys arrived.

Whistler6
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I hope JJ Hardy has recovered completely from whatever it was he suffered from, but some of his comments are unsettling...The ones about the Brewers the most, especially that bottom line.

MINNEAPOLIS -- J.J. Hardy (http://draftcountdown.com/pages/sportswire_byplayer.php?pID=16)'s swing fell apart last summer. And that wasn't the half of Hardy's problems.

"It was just depression. It was miserable," the shortstop said in the Minnesota Twins' clubhouse on Friday. "Everything -- I just hated everything."

It was, in Hardy's words, "a frickin' downhill spiral."

And sometime before the Milwaukee Brewers sent him to the minors on Aug. 13 -- an incredible fall for a former All-Star six days shy of his 26th birthday -- general manager Doug Melvin was so worried he suggested Hardy see a sports psychologist.

Hardy obliged. And his problems got worse.

"That made me think more than I want to," Hardy said. "I started thinking about breathing and stuff like that at the plate rather than seeing the ball and hitting the ball, and I don't like that.

"I basically just wanted to figure out, when what was in my head was negative, I wanted to know how to bounce out of the negativity and find the positive. It got into breathing and more mechanics and stuff and I'm just like, this isn't really what I'm looking for."

But depression? Misery?

"I haven't felt that once this year," Hardy said. "It could be the coaching staff, the guys around here. There's a lot of things that it could be, but the fact that I've been through it and I know what I don't want to do -- I think that helps."

-- J.J. Hardy is finding ways to focus on the positive that simply didn't exist for him during his final months in Milwaukee.

There's a good chance I am reading this article completely the wrong way, and I'm guessing he was just attempting to praise his new ball club/teammates. Still, it just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Injury_and_all_no_downhill_spiral_this_t ime_for_JJ_Hardy

umphrey
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
It will be an interesting couple of weeks from a personnel standpoint. The Brewers have to pick 2:

Say goodbye to Capuano (2.14 ERA in 3 starts at AAA)
Say goodbye to Kameron Loe (2.70 ERA in 9 starts at AAA)
Cut Suppan
Cut Cladio Vargas
Demote Axford to the minors
Demote Braddock to the minors
Demote Estrada to the minors

IMO it's best for the organization to cut Suppan and demote Estrada, thus keeping Capuano and Loe (which means bringing them up). That way we hold on to all the pitchers except Suppan (who cares), we can keep the 2 young bullpen arms in the bigs and preserve the resurgence of our bullpen, and Estrada has to go down but he can be a starter in Nashville.

GB12
05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I'd say Claudio Vargas is definitely the first that'll go if we have to make a pitching move.

umphrey
05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
We have to make 2 by early June, assuming Capuano and Loe both exercise their free agent clauses, which is almost a given considering the numbers they put up.

I wouldn't have any problem with showing Vargas the door but I think I'd dump Suppan first.

drowe
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
It will be an interesting couple of weeks from a personnel standpoint. The Brewers have to pick 2:

Cut Suppan
Cut Cladio Vargas

IMO it's best for the organization to cut Suppan and demote Estrada, thus keeping Capuano and Loe (which means bringing them up). That way we hold on to all the pitchers except Suppan (who cares), we can keep the 2 young bullpen arms in the bigs and preserve the resurgence of our bullpen, and Estrada has to go down but he can be a starter in Nashville.

Every Brewer fan in the world has been calling for the release of Jeff Suppan. And, of course, his contract made it a non issue. Now, parting with Suppan is starting to make real sense. We're paying him for mop up duty now. Might as well pay him for nothing.

Honestly, all things considered, the fans are right. Time to cut Sup and Vargas and go with the unknown.

cvv84
05-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Zaun possibly done for the season with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

princefielder28
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM

It's unfortunate for him but a great opportunity for George K and Lucroy

Whistler6
05-26-2010, 08:16 PM

His...um...er...veteran leadership(?) will be missed.

GB12
05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow Zaun really gets no respect here. He's actually been having a nice season. Sure he's not smacking the cover off the ball, but he's been decent at the plate and defensively. I don't know why everyone on this site is so quick to put him down. He was hitting .265 avg and .743 OPS. Those definitely are outstanding numbers, but they're respectable for a catcher, and sure as hell not god awful as everyone likes to act..

Whistler6
05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I respect him, and no, he's not terrible. But he's incredibly slow, nothing special behind the plate and his arm doesn't really scare anyone. I hope for the best and wish him well as far as recovery and health go...But it doesn't take a professional scout to realize he's just another body. Will the offense blink without him? Highly doubtful.

Who's putting him down and calling him God awful? There's nothing malicious about looking forward to seeing the 22 year old Lucroy play a bit more.

the_legend_killer
05-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Zaun > Kendall, and cheaper too. I don't mind him, but I'm excited to see what Lucroy can do with time (And Kottaras with more time).

umphrey
05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I was at the game today. Weeks did well and Braun and Fielder stunk it up. Good pitching, bad fielding, I don't think they gave up a single earned run. Weeks' walk off walk was maybe the first time I saw that happen. We should have scored a lot more runs but Braun held us back big time today.

umphrey
05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Checked the stats, 0 earned runs for the Astros today. Braun and Fielder, wow, way to produce at home, 0-9, 1 walk, 11 LOB combined. Weeks and Escobar both had errors allowing the 3 runs but made up for it by going 5-7 with 4 walks (3 by Rickie, lets hope he can continue bringing up that OBP).

Also, FFS get some players on the bench that you can actually use. We only got to what, the 3rd pinch hitter and we had to use a pitcher? Embarrassing.

Whistler6
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I was listening to some Brewers postgame radio tonight on AM 620. Apparently, although it hasn't yet been confirmed or denied, the Brewers offered $150 mil to Prince and Scott Boras shot it down immediately.

Again, it hasn't been confirmed or denied. But the guy who is always on TWC channel 32 at 4:30pm said he trusts his sources and believes it's the truth. I'm not sure how "real" the story is, but if Boras scoffs at 150 Prince is as good as gone...if not traded first. Could they even afford that? Man oh man...

Anyone else hear of this? Could be purley rumor, but I'm just saying what I heard tonight.

cvv84
05-27-2010, 10:45 PM
There's probably a 5% chance that Prince would sign an extension anyways so this wouldn't really be a suprise. Boras just wants teams to bid against each other and drive his price up. And realistically the Brewers are just making a solid offer/attempt like they did to Carlos Lee, Francisco Cordero, and C.C. Sabathia.

umphrey
05-28-2010, 04:33 PM
No reason for Boras to ink anything now (we're talking about Boras here, not Prince). Prince's value is as low as it's going to get with average numbers on a losing team. They waited this long, it's going to be a free agency bidding war. Even if Prince steps in and says I want to stay in Milwaukee, it won't happen til they hear other offers.

Whistler6
05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Now THAT was an awesome game. Yo's complete game (1 walk) was so, so needed. He pitched like an ace tonight. Feer the...Beer? Not quite, but it's a nice start to the weekend!

umphrey
05-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Rumor is Corey Hart quit or cut down on drinking for the last month or so. If that's true and his only problem is the alcy, maybe he's a young all star again.

One of the first pitchers duels I've watched and really been excited about watching. Yovani was on a mission tonight hitting his corners. A guy I was watching the game with said maybe pull him with a man on with 1 out in the 9th. I think he might have bit whoever tried to take the ball away from him at that point. Both pitchers flirted with danger but really dominated. The winner was the one who stayed in the game 9 innings, no surprise. Yovani gave up hits but bore down with runners on, Yohan gave up some good long hits but none out of the park and most got caught.

princefielder28
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Cappy is back in Milwaukee!!!!

Whistler6
05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Rumor is Corey Hart quit or cut down on drinking for the last month or so. If that's true and his only problem is the alcy, maybe he's a young all star again.

One of the first pitchers duels I've watched and really been excited about watching. Yovani was on a mission tonight hitting his corners. A guy I was watching the game with said maybe pull him with a man on with 1 out in the 9th. I think he might have bit whoever tried to take the ball away from him at that point. Both pitchers flirted with danger but really dominated. The winner was the one who stayed in the game 9 innings, no surprise. Yovani gave up hits but bore down with runners on, Yohan gave up some good long hits but none out of the park and most got caught.

I couldn't agree more. Tonight's duel was as good as baseball can possibly get. I applaud Macha for allowing Yo to pitch the full 9. And you're right, Yo wasn't going to let anyone take that ball from him tonight.

The Brewers needed their ace, and man he was that and then some. 95 mph in the 9th? Really? Great game.

Giantsfan1080
05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
:( Great game tonight guys. You deserved the win after we yanked Johan.

Whistler6
05-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Cappy is back in Milwaukee!!!!

Capuano was removed from Nashville's game tonight after pitching four scoreless innings, allowing one hit. Obviously, he was removed to prepare to return to the big leagues. He threw 59 pitches, including 37 for strikes

Pleasant surprise eh? Gosh I hope this works out for Cap, but it's a success story either way. ***And he's only 31.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95165709.html

umphrey
05-29-2010, 08:00 PM
3 home runs in consecutive at bats
longest standing home run in the Twins new stadium
tied for NL lead in HRs
first career walk off home run yesterday
first career grand slam today

How can I possibly be talking about Corey Hart? Did we get another guy with the same name as that right fielder we used to have?

Whistler6
05-29-2010, 09:13 PM
3 home runs in consecutive at bats
longest standing home run in the Twins new stadium
tied for NL lead in HRs
first career walk off home run yesterday
first career grand slam today

How can I possibly be talking about Corey Hart? Did we get another guy with the same name as that right fielder we used to have?

What Hart is doing is crazy. Could it simply be confidence? And Prince isn't putting up the HR's, but his OBP and the number of walks he's taking is remarkable. He deserves some credit for all the RBI's McGehee is stacking up, because he is on base seemingly atleast twice a game. Still, it's hard to see walks making a guy worth 150 mil (or more).

Whistler6
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Cut Suppan
Cut Cladio Vargas

As much I had hoped they'd cut Suppan, I'm glad it worked out how it did. Designating Vargas for assignment, bring up Capuano (we'll see), and keeping the young arms seem like the best decision. I really like watching Axford and Braddock pitch and even Estrada has been pretty solid.

GB12
05-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Braun is batting second today. It'll probably work, but I still don't like it.

Whistler6
05-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Braun is batting second today. It'll probably work, but I still don't like it.

The whole lineup is messed up. I kinda like it though

1.Weeks
2.Braun
3.Fielder
4.McGehee
5.Hart
6.Gomes
7.Lucroy
8.Wolf
9.Escobar

After the 1st inning, it makes Escobar essentially the leadoff hitter. And if Braun batting 2nd can get him even 1 more at-bat today, I think it's a success. I have no idea if those were the intentions, but will be interesting to watch anyway.

Thank you Rickie! 1-1

GB12
05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
The lineup isn't really a mess, we just removed the two hole and put it at the bottom.

It actually makes a lot of sense, but I still don't like Braun hitting anywhere that's not third.

Whistler6
05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
2-2, in comes Jeff Suppan...

cvv84
05-30-2010, 03:11 PM
**** you Macha. **** you Suppan.

Whistler6
05-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Screw you Macha. Everyone knew that was coming, except somehow you.

umphrey
05-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Why is Suppan still on the roster? I want to punch Macha in the face for pitching him in a 2-2 game.

Whistler6
05-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Alright, now leave Suppan in. 6-2 is more a game fitting to his style. Ken Macha deserves to be fired for this. The bullpen is overworked, okay I get it.

But you CANNOT roll out a pitcher who has given up 20 runs
(4 more today) in 27 innings, 38 hits (6 more today), and an ERA of damn near 7.00. It's not a fluke! My God...He's shown no adjustments, no signs of life and every game is exactly the same. Every game!

cvv84
05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Damn do I love a healthy Rickie Weeks!!

Boston
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I would much rather watch a guy like Braddock have a blown up inning knowing that it's growing pains over a guy like Suppan who has no chance at ever improving again, just cut the loss already, that's the only way Suppan can help this team anymore.

Whistler6
05-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I would much rather watch a guy like Braddock have a blown up inning knowing that it's growing pains over a guy like Suppan who has no chance at ever improving again, just cut the loss already, that's the only way Suppan can help this team anymore.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Braddock's potential is clear, but he's so young there will be struggles. Like you said though, I actually didn't mind Braddock's implosion today, because he will learn from it and get better. Suppan on the other hand...Today was as good as he will ever be. It's simply denial to think otherwise.

umphrey
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah I'd rather watch a young guy try and fail than Suppan which is like not even trying.

EvilMonkey
05-30-2010, 07:57 PM
suppan sucks

GB12
05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I was so tired today that I fell asleep right when Suppan was put in. I'm pretty happy now that I did.

cvv84
05-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I was so tired today that I fell asleep right when Suppan was put in. I'm pretty happy now that I did.

Thats pretty much sums the entire additude of the fans towards Suppan. If I was at the game and they trotted Suppan out to the mound I'd get up and leave, while asking for a refund on the way out.

I was willing to give him a shot as both a starter and releiver but 2 months into the season its still clear that he's just going to continue hurting the team. His only value is eating innings after our starters don't go 4-5 innings. DFA him already, please Doug, please!

umphrey
05-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Hart should have an S on his chest right now

cvv84
05-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Hart should have an S on his chest right now

Unreal. Nice to see him back but I'd rather that S be on Fielders chest :(

Whistler6
05-31-2010, 12:38 PM
With all the pitching woes, hitting needs to be discussed too. McGehee has struggled badly. He's hitting roughly .170 this spring. He says he feels as confident as ever, so hopefully its just part of his recovery.

Corey Hart on the other hand is batting .143, and I see that as a continuation of last season. I have only been able to catch a few games, but he hasn't seem to have progressed. With lineups being shuffled constantly and the better talent sitting out at times, that could be a major factor as well. Still, I'm nervous about Hart's and McGehee's production...We need them.

Um...I would like to admit I was 100% wrong on both Hart and McGehee. I know it's early and both could slip significantly, but what the've done thus far deserves MAJOR recognition. I'm pretty sure it was RyanBraun and others who kept sticking up for both McGehee and Hart during spring training, but I couldn't buy it.

I was so wrong.

It's great to see Narveson start off fast today. The 1st inning has usually been his weakest along with 5-6, but he has been sharp today (knock on wood).

umphrey
05-31-2010, 12:43 PM
I've been tearing apart Corey Hart for about a year now up until his 3 HRs in a row. I practically anointed Jim Edmonds the starting right fielder in preseason. Woops. I was right on McGehee though. I wanted him batting 5th since day 1.

Whistler6
05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
suppan sucks

Dear Jeff,
Please take your money and leave. No apologies needed, just go. You're free...Leave! We don't want you anymore. We appreciate your community work and the "good teammate" tag you seemed to have been given, but your pitching cannot be beared any longer. We have bullpen catchers and batting practice pitchers, so there is no need for your services anymore. Goodbye Jeff. Now GET THE **** OUT!

-All of Milwaukee

ps. If you choose to stay, there are roughly 70,000 fans at Miller Park who will look to drown you in Lake Michigan.

Okay lame I know, but I have a serious question. Detroit parted ways with Dontrelle Willis. He had a 4.98 ERA, which is 2 runs per 9 better than Suppan, and he was making $12 million in 2010. Detroit understood their mistake and ended it...What is Melvin waiting for? Aside from dollars, I really can't see any logical answer.

cvv84
05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
You have to be fisting me...

GB12
05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Damn it. Narveson was pitching so well until now too.

umphrey
05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
V didn't do us any favors either.

Whistler6
05-31-2010, 02:18 PM
It's great to see Narveson start off fast today. The 1st inning has usually been his weakest along with 5-6, but he has been sharp today (knock on wood).

The blasted 6th inning strikes again. Man such a frustrating inning, Narveson was doing so well. I blame Suppan.

princefielder28
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Why does our pitching suck so much??? :(

cvv84
05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Kameron Loe is expected to be promoted from AAA tomorrow. The end of Suppan????? *fingers, toes, legs, arms crossed*

princefielder28
05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Kameron Loe is expected to be promoted from AAA tomorrow. The end of Suppan????? *fingers, toes, legs, arms crossed*

If Loe is called up I don't see him doing that much better than Suppan but of course it doesn't hurt to try

yodabear
05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
If Loe is called up I don't see him doing that much better than Suppan but of course it doesn't hurt to try

"Doing better than Suppan." Couldn't u or I be better than Suppan.....

Whistler6
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM

I don't care if Loe sports an ERA of 10.00, it is time to try something else...ANYTHING ELSE. We need to have someone that actually has the potential of getting some outs.

Boston
06-01-2010, 12:13 AM

I don't know exactly how the draft works, I understand the basic principle, but it's either we call Loe up or we lose him. We called up Capuano for the same reason, and like it's been said, I don't care who we replace Suppan with, as long as I don't have to watch that waste of 12 million dollars pitch anymore I'll be fine.

princefielder28
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Estrada, Stern down

Loe up

umphrey
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
damnit, get out of Milwaukee SoupCan

I don't care about Estrada vs. Suppan or anything like that I just don't want him to be on the roster anymore.

umphrey
06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Someone please remind Bush that he isn't pitching BP and that the goal isn't 85 MPH fastballs over the middle of the plate. If you're going to miss the strike zone, at least come kind of close so maybe you can fool somebody. Also check Macha for a pulse, threaten to fire him, and call him an idiot for trying to bat a catcher hitting .230 in the 2 spot so often.

umphrey
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3346/12468249.jpg

GB12
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Someone please remind Bush that he isn't pitching BP and that the goal isn't 85 MPH fastballs over the middle of the plate. If you're going to miss the strike zone, at least come kind of close so maybe you can fool somebody. Also check Macha for a pulse, threaten to fire him, and call him an idiot for trying to bat a catcher hitting .230 in the 2 spot so often.

George Kottaras has an on base percentage of .422. That's the best OBP on the team. Hell, he should be batting lead off. Ok not lead off, but there shouldn't be any complaints about him hitting second.

Whistler6
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
If someone told me Trevor Hoffman's ERA was 4.00+ runs higher than Jeff Suppan's, I would have bet my life they were full it.

cvv84
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Bad to worse? Gallardo beaned in the left wrist. Stays in game.

princefielder28
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
baserunning at its finest...or not

cvv84
06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
baserunning at its finest...or not

Repeat that again...

GB12
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
McGehee should have been thrown out on the bases twice this inning. We got lucky that the Marlin's catcher sucks because McGehee is such a slow base runner.

cvv84
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice call Brian Anderson!! Yo ties it up with a long ball.

Boston
Hate to say it, but Brian Anderson just called Gallardo's shot. God I love this guy!

princefielder28
Yo Yo look at it go!

Whistler6
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Hate to say it, but Brian Anderson just called Gallardo's shot. God I love this guy!

How many times has Yo provided offense for himself? I know a lot of it is because his thin bench, but now I see why Macha has occasionally pinch hit with Gallardo. He has a smooth looking swing for a pitcher, for anyone actually.

Boston
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Bill Schroeder needs to stop talking for awhile, maybe sit the next few games out. God he's annoying right now.

"Well do you think they'd need to replay that?"

How ******* ******** can you be?

princefielder28
06-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh, Rickie

*shakes head*

Boston
06-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Wasn't Rickie supposed to be getting better at defense by now?

Whistler6
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Bill Schroeder needs to stop talking for awhile, maybe sit the next few games out. God he's annoying right now.

"Well do you think they'd need to replay that?"

How ******* ******** can you be?

I don't mind Schroeder, but sometimes he gets too talkative. I wish he'd realize that when you're on TV broadcasting, it is okay to just let the game speak for itself. On the other hands though, Uecker occasionally leaves too much dead air.

Whistler6
06-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Capuano's stat line: No injury

Tonight was a success, and I'm happy to see Cappy back doing what he loves. But according to the pregame show, the Brewers are something like 0-22 over his last however many starts. Yikes. Hopefully he can add a few W's to that 0 over the next few months.

cvv84
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
This team is pathetic. Nobody can do anything this year.

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
This team is pathetic. Nobody can do anything this year.

They are really pathetic...time to start over, new people in place and a new philosophy

PackerLegend
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Will the Brewers ever be good? It sucks watching a crappy team year after year. Im not a huge follower of baseball but I do watch the crew play occasionally. Why does baseball not have a salary cap and is it possible it will ever get one?

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Will the Brewers ever be good? It sucks watching a crappy team year after year. Im not a huge follower of baseball but I do watch the crew play occasionally. Why does baseball not have a salary cap and is it possible it will ever get one?

The Brewers need to build through pitching, every small market team needs to take that approach, and the Brewers have failed miserably in their attempts to draft early round pitchers. While that hasn't worked there may be a solution and that is trading the likes of Prince Fielder and Corey Hart for young pitching, hoping they can become major leaguers, and filling in the holes of Prince and Corey will young guys from the minors.

As far as a salary cap, it's probably never going to happen and leaving it as is helps make baseball what it is and as unique as it is.

Whistler6
06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Is there a reason Corey Hart was dropped to 7th behind Jim Edmonds? I don't understand that.

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Is there a reason Corey Hart was dropped to 7th behind Jim Edmonds? I don't understand that.

right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left...makes it harder on LaRussa and the Cardinals' pitching decisions

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
nice throw Jimmy!

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
another day, another loss

umphrey
06-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Not as heartbreaking now that I'm expecting it from the first batter to the 11th inning, in this case.

I'll start getting my hopes up when they are winning by more than a grand slam, 4 runs.

Boston
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
So yeah, it's probably getting to be about the time where we designate 5 or 6 players we aren't going to trade and then try and trade everybody else. This team isn't going anywhere this year, might as well get the highest value out of the players we have now.

-Ryan Braun
-Carlos Gomez
-Alcides Escobar
-Yovani Gallardo
-Zack Braddock
-John Axford
-Jonathon Lucroy

I'd say everybody else is fair game.

Whistler6
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't let ANYONE touch Casey McGehee. If Prince goes, McGehee could possibly play 3rd or 1st. Gamel then, who just jumped up to AAA, could fill that other role.

princefielder28
06-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't let ANYONE touch Casey McGehee. If Prince goes, McGehee could possibly play 3rd or 1st. Gamel then, who just jumped up to AAA, could fill that other role.

Gamel would have to be first base or outfield, no way is he a long term option at 3rd base given his struggles on defense

Whistler6
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Gamel would have to be first base or outfield, no way is he a long term option at 3rd base given his struggles on defense

Then that fits what I mentioned perfectly. If(when) Prince is traded, Gamel can hopefully develop into the 1st basement of the future. He's a wildcard at this point, but he's getting healthy and has been doing incredibly well in the minors. My main point was in response to Boston, and that I would not let McGehee even touch the trading block.

the_legend_killer
06-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I could see Gamel being tried out at 1st base. Most of his fielding problems at third were throwing, not catching.

Boston
06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I was debating adding McGehee to that list, but if the right offer comes around I wouldn't be opposed to trading him.

cvv84
06-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Brent Brewer is walking away from baseball (http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/former_farmhand_brewer_to_play.html) to accept a football scholarship at the University of Tennessee.

princefielder28
06-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Brent Brewer is walking away from baseball (http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/former_farmhand_brewer_to_play.html) to accept a football scholarship at the University of Tennessee.

good choice...he was an athlete who played baseball, not a baseball player who was an athlete

umphrey
06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Parra has some nasty stuff tonight. The Cardinals are helping him out by chasing every breaking ball at the ankles he throws. It's nice to see him keep the ball down though.

umphrey
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
And right after I post that Albert goes deep. Parra deserves some praise anyway. Both home runs were on the corner, good pitches. Shouldn't have thrown a strike to Pujols on 0-2 though - I'm going to blame Kottaras because he threw it right into his glove. 10 Ks and at least into the 6th at this point with 2 ERs is a great performance for most pitchers, let alone Parra whose been pitching out of the bullpen and hasn't gone more than 4 innings yet this year.

cvv84
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
3 straight walks and Macha finally comes out to the mound. Bush coming in to hopefully lock this inning down.

Boston
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Does Ken Macha have any idea when to take a pitcher out? God I wish we would have fired him a long time ago...

umphrey
06-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah he's an idiot all things considered any drunken idiot baseball fan would have known you got to take Parra out at that point. It was obvious he was going way out of his pitch count, inning comfort zones with the bad command and he left him in there to face some great sluggers in the middle of the Cardinals order.

princefielder28
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Does Ken Macha have any idea when to take a pitcher out? God I wish we would have fired him a long time ago...

He's just like Art Howe was when he left Oakland to go to New York, a product of damn good pitching and struggling to adjust to a more strategic game in the NL

umphrey
06-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I hate being so pessimistic but I don't even want to watch this game anymore because it's just a matter of time until the Cardinals get a walk off win.

the_legend_killer
06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I know how you feel, Milwaukee has the bases loaded with the NL Co-HR leader and I have no confidence in getting the job done.

Whistler6
06-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I hate being so pessimistic but I don't even want to watch this game anymore because it's just a matter of time until the Cardinals get a walk off win.

Tonight was a great win against a good team, and yet I do not even feel excited or relieved or happy or confident this will lead to something...I hate this, but I can't shake it lately. I think my emotions have been fried from blown saves and disdain for Macha and Suppan. It's like a never-ending rainy day right now.

princefielder28
06-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Alrighy, the Brewers start drafting today and I think all of us will be hopeful for some pitching....

Here's some guys I'd like to see at our first round pick (#14)

1. Brandon Workman, RHP, Texas
2. Michael Choice, OF, UTA
3. Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citadel
4. Aaron Sanchez, RHP, High School

princefielder28
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Suppan released!!!!!

Whistler6
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Suppan released!!!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/2184270635_f3c1af91f3.jpg

Details ---> http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95784914.html

The Brewers also are obligated to pay Suppan a $2 million buyout of a club option for $12.75 million for 2011.

So, in essence, the Brewers are paying more than $10 million to cut the cord with Suppan.

Removed from the starting rotation after two outings this season, Suppan had become more of a liability than an asset, pitching almost exclusively in mop-up duty. In 15 outings, including those two starts, Suppan was 0-2 with a 7.84 earned run average. In 31 innings, he allowed 50 hits, 12 walks and 27 earned
runs, with 18 strikeouts.

In 110 games with the Brewers, including 97 starts, Suppan went 29-36 with a 5.08 ERA.

Melvin did release this statement about the release of Suppan:

“Jeff has always been a true professional. He gave his best effort to the organization, whether it was on the field or in the community. I am confident that he can return to a starting rotation with another organization. We wish Jeff and his family nothing but the best.”

You really believe that Doug?

Whistler6
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN) Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN)
Confirmed:Jeff Suppan has been released by the Brewers.Think about the free agent class that year:Zito 126m, Meche 55m, Schmidt 47m, Suppan 42m; Lilly 40m; Batista 25m; Marquis 21m; Padilla 20m. It's like viewing a list of stocks before the '08 crash.

GB12
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow, seeing all those other ****** contracts actually does make me feel a little better.

Boston
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, I don't think I've ever been this happy about any player being released ever.

Now all we have to do is release Hoffman and our bullpen might actually be a strength for the team.

Since last Tuesday, the bullpen's ERA, minus Suppan and Hoffman, has been 2.39 in 15 IP. If Chris Smith can pitch even half as well as he has in AAA then this trend should be continued.

Whistler6
06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow, seeing all those other ****** contracts actually does make me feel a little better.

That's what I thought too, but Suppan's deal really handicapped Melvin at the time. Still, that Zito contract is eye popping. I'm just happy Milwaukee finally made the move. It was about 2-3 months too late, but I suppose they had to see if he could rebound this year. Bah, he's gone...No looking back.

umphrey
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Why the hell did it take so long. I thought I'd be happy but I'm almost more irritated thinking of all the games we played with 1-2 bench players or a worn out bullpen to keep Suppan who was less useful than a schlub from AA would have been.

princefielder28
06-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Who is Dylan Covey???

Covey, 18, went 7-1 with a 0.40 ERA and 3 saves with 138 strikeouts and 20 walks in 70 2/3 innings for Maranatha HS this season. Covey was recently named as Gatoradeís California baseball player of the year. In 2009, he participated in the AFLAC All-American Game at Petco Park.

Covey was a standard on the showcase circuit this year, boosting his stock on draft boards. He is 6-2 and 195 pounds, and has a 94-94 mph fastball that can touch 96 mph. Covey also has a sharp slider in the 81-82 mph range.

Whistler6
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
A bit more on the MLB Draft. I couldn't get the grid to paste correctly, but the link takes you right there. It really shows how prospects can be bullseyes or complete whiffs. Jeffress' issues with violating the drug policy bums out quite a bit.

The Milwaukee Brewers selected right-handed pitcher Dylan Covey with their first pick (14th overall) in the 2010 MLB draft on Monday. Here are the past 10 No. 1 picks by the Brewers and how they're faring.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/95826279.html

princefielder28
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm excited about the Hunter Morris selection. The kid was the SEC Player of the Year putting up a .386 average with 23 homers and 76 runs batted in. Prince's replacement????

umphrey
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Copy & paste of MLB.com scouting reports

Dylan Covey - RHP

Maranatha HS, Pasadena, Calif., Sr.

Birthdate: 7/19/1991
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Scout's report filed: 2/13/10 Scouting Report

Fastball: In this early showcase outing, Coveydidn't have the velocity he's shown in the past, but he touched 93 mph. He can reach back and blow away a hitter when he needs to.
Fastball movement: He usually has some heavy life to his pitch, with sink and bore and late giddyup.
Curve: He throws a power curve, up to 80-81 mph. It's a plus pitch, maybe a 70 on the scouting scale.
Changeup: He showed it a copule of times. It's a developing pitch, common for high-school arms. But it was nice to see it as part of his arsenal this early in the season.
Control: With a little extra adrenaline early, some of his pitches were up in the zone a bit, but then he settled down and commanded his pitches well.
Poise: He did a nice job of calming himself down and throwing a solid inning.
Physical Description: Covey is a very sturdy right-hander who will get comparisons to pitchers like a Jaret Wright. He's not long, gangly and projectable, like some high schoolers.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: Two outstanding pitches, with the plus plus curve. Strong, solid frame. Shows a good feel for pitching.
Weaknesses: The changeup is behind the other offerings. Like with many high school arms, he can improve the command of his fastball.
Summary: Covey entered the 2010 Draft season as one of the top prep arms in the class and his first showing at the UYA showcase did nothing to hurt his standing. He'd shown more fastball in the past, but no one doubted that will be there once the spring got going. His plus curve was working well and he even showed the changeup a bit. It was a good start for Covey who could very well be one of the top high school pitchers taken on Draft Day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Nelson - RHP

Alabama, Jr.

Birthdate: 12/8/1988
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 235 lbs.
Scout's report filed: 3/20/10Scouting Report

Fastball: Nelson throws his fastball in the 91-94 mph range.
Fastball movement: It's heavy and downhill, but it has below-average life.
Slider: It's solid average, thrown 80-84 mph, and it's a tilted, hard, late-breaking pitch.
Changeup: He has an average changeup, but he doesn't throw it much.
Control: His overall command is average.
Poise: He's very good on the mound, very competitive.
Physical Description: Nelson is big and physical, a bigger version of Jeff Suppan.
Strengths: Three pitches that are average or a bit better, with the ability to command them. Good mound presence.
Weaknesses: There's a lack of life to his fastball, and he needs to develop that third pitch, especially to use against left-handed hitters.
Summary: There will invariably be a number of college arms taken at or near the top of the Draft. Once you get past that top tier, there are always steals to be found. Nelson could very well fit into that group as Alabama's Saturday starter. He's got three pitches, with the fastball and slider being his best two options. If he can develop his changeup, he could be a very good starting option for a team that's seeking some advanced pitching after that first group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tyler Thornburg - RHP

Charleston Southern, Jr.

Birthdate: 9/29/1988
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 190 lbs.
Scout's report filed: 2/21/10Scouting Report

Fastball: Thornburg can run his fastball up to 95 mph.
Fastball movement: It's fairly straight, but he shows the ability to throw downhill despite his size. When he elevates it, it has little riding life.
Curve: He throws a get-me-over slow curve, 68-71 mph, and then a 75-78 mph hard breaking ball, usually out of the zone, to get strikeouts.
Changeup: He has a good, above-average changeup and excellent arm speed when he throws it.
Control: He's generally around the plate, but his overall command is below average, leading some to believe he's destined for a bullpen role.
Poise: He's got good mound presence.
Physical Description: Thornburg is an athletic, but undersized, right-hander who uses a delivery similar to Tim Lincecum's.
Strengths: Excellent fastball and above-average changeup. As a two-way player, his athleticism helps him on the mound.
Weaknesses: He gets swings and misses on the hard curve now, but if he continues to not throw it for strikes, it won't work at the next level. He has below-average overall command.
Summary: As a two-way player, Thornburg hits cleanup while playing right field on Friday, then is the DH on Saturday before taking his turn in the rotation on Sunday. There's a lot to like about him on the mound, with an above-average fastball and changeup. He's going to have to learn to throw his curve for strikes and command the ball better if he wants to remain a starter, but even if that doesn't work out, he could have a very nice future coming out of the 'pen. Scouts are always looking for good games on Sundays, so Thornburg will get plenty of looks before Draft Day.

Hunter Morris - 1B/OF

Auburn, Jr.

Birthdate: 10/7/88
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 208 lbs.
Bats: Left
Scout's report filed: 4/2-4/4/10Scouting Report

Hitting ability: Morris has an above-average bat all around, with a solid approach. He'll occasionally get around the ball, but he's rarely fooled more than once.
Power: He has serious raw power from the left side and should have at least average, if not better, power in the future.
Running speed: He's got better-than-you'd-think speed.
Base running: He has sneaky speed, definitely not a base-clogger.
Arm strength: He's got an average arm that would be playable in the outfield.
Fielding: He's gotten much better at first base and is athletic enough to handle a corner outfield spot.
Range: Has enough range to play the outfield when asked.
Physical Description: Morris has a body type similar to the Colorado Rockies' Brad Hawpe.
Strengths: The bat, both the approach and the raw power.
Weaknesses: Early in his college career, he was a little overweight. He's changed his body since, but he'll have to watch his conditioning.
Summary: Morris certainly isn't new to the Draft scene as a second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2007. His biggest strength, his bat, hasn't changed. If anything, it's gotten better as he's clearly brushed off a ho-hum sophomore year to put up terrific numbers this season. He's got a solid approach and very good power from the left side. He's capable enough to play either first base or a corner outfield spot, and it's looking like he'll have the kind of bat usually associated with those positions. Advanced hitters with power from the left side usually don't last too long, so don't expect Morris to have to wait around much before hearing his name called.

umphrey
06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm happy that we picked 3 pitchers followed by a first baseman. Maybe should have taken a left hander, but whatever. I'm glad they weren't afraid to take a high schooler. Covey's good velocity with 80+ MPH power curve sounds like major league stuff. Indifferent about Nelson. He sounds like he can get into AA or AAA pretty fast and maybe be capable of pitching 6-7 innings as a 3-4-5 rotation guy. I like Thornburg a lot. He was successful in the SEC. I love his delivery, which people compare to Lincecum, but I just like how he hides the ball until the last millisecond until it comes snapping around. Between that and a low curve ball he might make a good bullpen pitcher that is able to come in and throw the hitters off with a different approach and a curveball out pitch. I like the idea of a first baseman with some athleticism and fielding potential. Crossing my fingers that he can find a major league batting stroke.

Tons of pitchers which I'm very happy to see. Lets hope we can sign all of the good ones. Lets get a future 1-2-3 slot starter, another starter or solid reliever, and if we're really lucky a bat with some pop and this draft would make me pretty damn happy.

cvv84
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow awesome Gomez...

cvv84
06-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Cubs got McGhee'd!

J-Mike88
06-08-2010, 09:44 PM
FANTASTIC FINISH by the Brewers.
Too many cheers from Cubs fans in there though, but in the end, they're silenced!

umphrey
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Casey McGehee is awesome sticking it to his old team. He is so perfect for a 5 hitter behind Braun and Fielder.

the_legend_killer
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
1-0 A.S. (After Suppan)

Whistler6
06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
<-------This

drowe
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
most exciting game of the year. how can ya top being down by one with runners on 2 and 3 with a full count?

hope those loser cub fans had a nice drive back to FIBland.

GB12
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Salome has requested to be moved to the outfield, likely killing his value.

cvv84
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Wolfpan is really trying my patience.

PackerLegend
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Hoffman throws a scoreless inning for once.... To bad the Brewers are still losing.

Whistler6
06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Wolfpan is really trying my patience.

Oh God please, no...

umphrey
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Melvin released Suppan because he had his replacement waiting in the wings. Thanks for the smooth transition from Suppan to Wolf. This team can't exist without shelling out huge cash and handcuffing itself to starting a pitcher that probably isn't good enough to make the roster.

He's only been here 60 games. Please please please don't keep pitching like this. At least establish yourself as a 3,4,5 pitcher who can go 6-7 innings even if you're ERA isn't great at least put us in position to win and don't fall apart in the 5th inning every game.

princefielder28
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Corey goes deep again!

cvv84
06-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Corey goes deep again!

And so do the Cubs...

princefielder28
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I think Braddock should be kept in here...don't like the idea of going with Villanueva

the_legend_killer
06-10-2010, 08:19 PM
(In super hindsight) I do.

But man, what a way to end the game. Super heads-up play by Gomez (who woulda thunk it?).

Whistler6
06-11-2010, 12:07 AM
(In super hindsight) I do.

But man, what a way to end the game. Super heads-up play by Gomez (who woulda thunk it?).

Gomez' base running made #1 on Sportcenter's top ten, and Alcides Escobar's leaping catch of a line drive was in there too. Add that to a 10th inning win and 2/3 from the Cubs. It was a pretty good day. Baby steps...Or wishful thinking.

umphrey
06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Suppan signed with the Cards- good news, our rival gets weaker. They are fooling themselves if they think he'll be any good. Even if he turns into a middle rotation pitcher I don't care I'm still glad we cut him.

Whistler6
06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Suppan signed with the Cards- good news, our rival gets weaker. They are fooling themselves if they think he'll be any good. Even if he turns into a middle rotation pitcher I don't care I'm still glad we cut him.

If he pitches against the Brewers and shuts them down, I might actually quit being an MLB fan altogether. Suppan is terrible, God-awful, horrid, abhorrent, here's more if you need it...
---> ( http://thesaurus.com/browse/terrible )

I have never hated a player who has shown up, played and worked hard, this much. But I can't help it this time. He will eventually pitch against Milwaukee, while being payed BY THEM. Sickening. Good luck to him, but the Crew better light him up.

GB12
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice HR from Braun.

And boy that 596 banner looks a little silly doesn't it.

princefielder28
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Lucroy does a much better job throwing out runners than Kottaras

Whistler6
06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Braun's HR smacking Hoffman's sign was kind of funny, in a sad way. But I was looking through tonight's game stats, and I came across something that blows my mind. Fielder has 22 RBI's through 61 games. I seriously can't believe that.

drowe
06-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Braun's HR smacking Hoffman's sign was kind of funny, in a sad way..

it was on sportscenter.

"hoffman gets hit, even when he's not pitching."

umphrey
06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
We need to start Lucroy just so teams stop stealing second every single time they get a walk or a single.

cvv84
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice Macha. Weeks with a leadoff double and you have him try to steal 3rd with no outs when Hart is up, Fielder is on deck, and Braun is in the hole? Yes we've stranded runners all game but its the 3rd time around for these hitters.

GB12
06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think that was Macha's call.

GB12
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow. Almost.

princefielder28
06-13-2010, 03:00 PM
a sign of things to come from Prince???

cvv84
06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
a sign of things to come from Prince???

If only he were doing that with men on base.

Whistler6
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
It was an ugly loss, and Yo pitched much better than the stats say. But if there is one positive to pull from today, David Riske threw a scoreless inning. Nice to see him back and healthy. And yeah, it's inasane seeing 12 HR's for Prince next to only 24 RBI's! Wow.

cvv84
06-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Eric Arnett send down to rookie ball. Our pitching just can't get a break.

princefielder28
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Eric Arnett send down to rookie ball. Our pitching just can't get a break.

on a positive note from last year's draft, pitching prospect Kyle Heckathorn has pitched very well in Appleton

princefielder28
06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Why is Lucroy sitting again tonight??? He played so well during the homestand and now he sits his second straight game

cvv84
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Braun grand slam!!!!

princefielder28
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Ryan Braun goin' deep!

GB12
06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Holy **** has McGehee's average dropped. .274, really? He was at .309 before he stopped hitting.

Whistler6
06-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Holy **** has McGehee's average dropped. .274, really? He was at .309 before he stopped hitting.

Braun boosted himself to about an even .300 after tonight, but everyone else's averages are kind of embarrassing. Hart has been raking yeah, but Prince, Weeks and even McGehee are not hitting like they can right now. The HR's keep coming though as well as a fairly decent number of walks, so it's kind of covered up. But yeah I agree, I had no idea McGehee's average had dropped so far.

...Oh and Suppan is starting for the Cards tomorrow...

umphrey
06-15-2010, 06:05 PM
In the minors, I'm watching Jeremy Jeffress. Longshot, but at least his arm isn't stitched together like most of our pitchers and he's got more upside than anyone.

cvv84
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Where has this been all season??

Boston
06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
In the minors, I'm watching Jeremy Jeffress. Longshot, but at least his arm isn't stitched together like most of our pitchers and he's got more upside than anyone.

Jeffress was switched to RP and demoted to A ball. But yeah, he was a first round draft pick and can throw in the upper 90's, you're not really breaking any ground here.

Whistler6
06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Man, both Parra and Yo deserved better.

GB12
06-19-2010, 10:17 PM

That is all.

princefielder28
06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
GB12, i think you put it best....ugh

princefielder28
06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Wolf with a solid start...

umphrey
06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Took eight innings but we finally get some offense to take advantage of the rare good pitching we've seen lately. I'm glad it's more than a 1 run cushion just look at yesterday when we were so close to coming back from down 4.

umphrey
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I thought Wolf was our new Suppan a few weeks ago. Looks like I overreacted. Very glad. Wolf seems to have a lot more fire in him - he won't settle for poor performances with a guaranteed paycheck. His problem might have been adjusting to the different catchers (he's had 3 new ones in ~65 games, correct?).

For the first time in months I feel like we might be able to make a wildcard run. Our record sucks, we're below .500 by 11 games, but our starting rotation is giving us 6-7 good innings almost every game. I thought that would never happen and that's why I thought we were out of it so early. If this starting pitching keeps performing, the new faces in the bullpen keep performing, and our inconsistent offense continues to find a couple hot hitters every game, we could start a solid winning streak.

Thank you Corey Hart. Imagine what we would be doing if Braun starts hitting up to his potential, Fielder just continues to keep his OBP up, and McGehee finds that .320 stroke again.

umphrey
06-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Some news you might have missed
Former 12th overall pick Mike Jones released
2009 7th round pick Khris Davis wins home run derby in class A allstar game
2010 4th round pick Hunter Morris named 1st team All-American
Braun leading candidate for NL outfield all stars, Gallardo is in the discussion, nobody else has even a slim chance
Coffey should be returning to the bullpen soon, he missed his rehab start (rain) but that was awhile ago

princefielder28
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Jones actually had a decent ERA going in Nashville but his WHIP was absolutely brutal and it had become clear that any potential he had of making the majors was gone

princefielder28
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Narveson doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation

princefielder28
06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
touch 'em all casey!

the_legend_killer
06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Narveson doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation

Sure he does, he can just never pitch the first inning, lol.

Good night for Jim Edmonds.

princefielder28
06-22-2010, 10:29 PM
hey hey, we win!!!

the_legend_killer
06-22-2010, 10:29 PM
The Ax Man Can!

umphrey
06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
We should use Trevor Hoffman as an anti closer for Narveson and let him pitch the first, give 2-7 to Narveson, then setup man, then Axford for the save. We'd never give up a run!

Narveson pitches great any inning except the first and Hoffman has been pitching great any inning except the 9th. Come on Macha, do it, just once, be the father of a rarely used-not very effective tactic like batting the pitcher 8th.

GB12
06-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm still not liking the whole 59 thing, but Axford has been great.

the_legend_killer
06-23-2010, 10:32 PM
The Ax Man Can!

10 characters.

princefielder28
06-23-2010, 10:35 PM
-Axford good again
-Lucroy is a stud throwing people out
-Bullpen, in general, is performing great
-Weeks quietly producing
-Prince needs to get going

TitleTown088
06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Bastards. If I had to pick a team for the Twins to lose to it would be the Brewers though.

umphrey
06-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Gotta love the Yo. He seems like the most competitive baseball player I've ever watched.

J-Mike88
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
My Twins made the Brew Crew look like Harvey's Wallbangers again (and today I thought I was watching 1981 Pete Vuckovich), and the Brewers made my Twins look like the Twinkies again.

princefielder28
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Eric Arnett's first start down in rookie ball

2 IP, 6 H, 6 R (all earned), 1 BB, 2 Ks

BUST

senormysterioso
06-25-2010, 09:14 AM

BUST

Well...it's still better than a Suppan line.

princefielder28
06-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Well...it's still better than a Suppan line.

Suppan since leaving Milwaukee

8.2 IP, 11 H, 3 R (all earned), 6 Ks, 3 BBs

he's actually doing fairly decent :(

cvv84
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM

BUST

I woudn't say bust but he's been a pretty big disapointment. I wonder if something is up with his mechanics though. We shouldn't even take pitchers anymore in the 1st and supplemental round seeing our luck in developing these guys.

cvv84
06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Prince finally tallies his 30th RBI

princefielder28
06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Didn't get to see the game tonight but....

Lucroy <3

princefielder28
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Rickie goes deep!!!

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 07:23 AM
our bullpen last night :(

umphrey
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
The starting pitching:
All the talk is, who gets bumped from the rotation when Doug Davis comes back with Capuano also in the mix. Here's a thought, don't mess with it! We're finally getting quality starts so don't risk screwing it up. Maybe a 6 man rotation is the answer. Parra is the worst though and I'm not putting too much stock into the 1 great start Narveson had so we'll see. Parra might do better if he's fighting for a spot. He's a head case. Send him to a psychiatrist for some strong mind altering drugs.

Prince Fielder:
I don't think we need him... He's not producing, we know that. My big question all year was, how would the hitters around him produce without his presence? I think that question has been answered. The other day there were 2 outs and a man on 3rd and the announcers were saying "Why not walk Corey Hart and pitch to Prince?". That's the point we're at now. Trade him. We can put out good bats with Hart, Braun, McGehee and Weeks batting 2-3-4-5 in whatever order and lead off with Escobar or Gomez. Weeks isn't what I'd look for in a leadoff man anyway. Let him get some RBIs, he always swings for the fences anyway and he's not as fast as he gets credit for.

the_legend_killer
06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
The only problem with trading Fielder now is that you won't get market value. Then again, if they don't do it until next year, they won't either. As far as the rotation goes, I agree not to mess with it, but also don't add to it with a 6-man rotation. You want Gallardo pitching every fifth day, don't decrease that by giving Davis (Who wasn't very good when he was healthy) another start as well.

Have Davis in long relief until someone falters. Parra and Narveson (usually) don't go longer than 6 innings, so having an innings eater at long reliever helps. Then again, that could be Capuano as well.

umphrey
06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
You're right we're not going to get much for Fielder. He's garbage defensively, too streaky and swings at bad pitches. He's a good hitter but a team won't be willing to give up a whole lot in addition to the $100+ contract it will take. Teams like the Red Sox and Yankees want a complete player for 1B, or a more consistent more disciplined hitter for a DH. Maybe that means we have to keep him, but make the trade if there's a decent offer.

Let me preemptively defend my comment about his defense: He's short and he's got short arms, meaning he's a small target for throws. He can dig out low balls but he misses them just as much as anyone. He can field but he's slow, short range.

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
If Prince keeps up his current production, or lack thereof, it would probably be in the team's best interest to just let him walk as a free agent and get the first rounder from the team that signs him and the compensatory first rounder too.

cvv84
06-29-2010, 07:25 PM
If Prince keeps up his current production, or lack thereof, it would probably be in the team's best interest to just let him walk as a free agent and get the first rounder from the team that signs him and the compensatory first rounder too.

I'd trade him before that. Get proven talent or at least guys who have shown promine in the minors. 1st round picks mean very little and obviously are not bust proof - as our recent luck has shown.

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I'd trade him before that. Get proven talent or at least guys who have shown promine in the minors. 1st round picks mean very little and obviously are not bust proof - as our recent luck has shown.

I would disagree on 1st round picks meaning very little. I mean look at all the impact players in the big leagues for us and the majority of them were products of our system. It's all about taking thr right players and trusting your scouting department.

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Yo does it all!!!!!

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Prince goes deep!!!! And with someone on base too

princefielder28
06-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Prince goes deep!!!! And with someone on base too

and he does it again :)

except no one on base

cvv84
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I would disagree on 1st round picks meaning very little. I mean look at all the impact players in the big leagues for us and the majority of them were products of our system. It's all about taking thr right players and trusting your scouting department.

Off the top of your head who were the 2 prospects we drafted with the compensation from losing C.C. Sabathia in free agency? Trading for more proven/seasoned players would be the much smarter corse IMO.

princefielder28
06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Off the top of your head who were the 2 prospects we drafted with the compensation from losing C.C. Sabathia in free agency? Trading for more proven/seasoned players would be the much smarter corse IMO.

I'm fairly certain that Kyle Heckathorn was one of them and he's actually pitching really well so far. You can talk about "proven" prospects but look at the "proven" prospects the Indians got in the Sabathia deal, as an example, and they've been far from what they were projected to be. There's the good and bad with both sides and I personally prefer to draft guys.

umphrey
07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
You have to do both unless you're the Yankees or have an out of this world scouting department.

Step 1: Draft and develop pitchers (especially starters), a Ryan Braun (all around good player) and a Prince Fielder (power hitter).
Step 2: Fill in the gaps with veteran hitters, not superstars but guys like Jim Edmonds, Felipe Lopez.
Step 3: Make a big trade and sell some or most of the farm for an ace pitcher (Sabbathia) or an extra bat for protection and RBIs (Matt Holliday).

This is what we did in 2008 except we didn't have any home grown pitching except Sheets who was overrated anyway. This year we did step 1 except Gallardo isn't enough. Step 2 we chose youth/future over winning (Gomez, Escobar, Lucroy, McGehee). Step 3 isn't happening and if we make a trade like that we will be on the other side of it with Fielder, but the more I think about it the less likely I see him getting traded.

princefielder28
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
There's no team I like beating more than the Cards

umphrey
07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I was pissed when Pujols hit that homerun. He's my favorite player to watch strike out.

umphrey
07-03-2010, 06:23 PM
The Cardinals are playing the sloppiest game I've seen in my life through 3 innings today. I'd have to start thinking about little league games to remember a sloppier game...I know I've seen little leaguers make less embarrassing plays through 9 innings than the Cards have made in 3 today.

princefielder28
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Braun, Hart, Gallardo are all-stars

Yo is hurt :(

Boston
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Remember when people were looking forward to seeing Escobar play defense? Yeah, those were the days...

cvv84
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Lorenzo Cain has been called up.

princefielder28
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Lorenzo Cain has been called up.

I think this might open the door to the potential of Corey Hart being moved while his stock will never be higher.

cvv84
07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Geoff Jenkins will announce his retirement from the game of baseball Friday at Milwaukee's Miller Park. Jenkins will finish up as a .275/.344/.490 career hitter with 221 home runs, 733 RBI and 1293 hits. A first round pick of the Brewers back in 1995, he was named to one All-Star Game and played 11 professional seasons.