PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brewers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Whistler6
12-08-2007, 01:10 PM
The Brewers acquired reliever Solomon Torres yesterday from the Pirates, and now it looks like Torres may retire; that would be a bad break for Milwaukee seeing as they gave up two middle-of-the-road relievers.

do you have a link? I just read last night then he has been working his butt off and is looking forward to playing for the Brewers

princefielder28
12-08-2007, 05:40 PM
do you have a link? I just read last night then he has been working his butt off and is looking forward to playing for the Brewers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07342/840202-63.stm

princefielder28
12-08-2007, 05:41 PM
The Brewers are nearing a deal with Eric Gagne, and this would be the third reliever added this week by the Crew

Whistler6
12-08-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07342/840202-63.stm

Dang.. Thanks for the link though. And about the Gagne deal, I don't know if 10 million a year is smart to give to this guy. I would have rather spent that on Cordero. Either way, we are going to have a deep bullpen, and that was our achilles heal last year.. So, we will see

drowe
12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
so, has anybody heard anything about turnbow and 'roids?
i have one media source that said he was pretty sure Turnbow would be named by Mitchell and suspended by the league.

princefielder28
12-10-2007, 09:24 AM
so, has anybody heard anything about turnbow and 'roids?
i have one media source that said he was pretty sure Turnbow would be named by Mitchell and suspended by the league.

Turnbow has already been recognized by the league for taking steriods so he won't face another penalty

princefielder28
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Brewers officially signed Eric Gagne today. Kevin Mench was designated for assignment so the Crew has 10 days to trade him or they will be foirced to release him.

Boston
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Brewers officially signed Eric Gagne today. Kevin Mench was designated for assignment so the Crew has 10 days to trade him or they will be foirced to release him.

Damnit. I didn't want Gagne...

princefielder28
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Damnit. I didn't want Gagne...

For starters......two words: Derrick Turbow. Did you really want him to try and close games for a contending team???? He's too inconsistent and hasn't had the stuff for a year and a half.

Next........two words: Cy Young. In 2003 Eric Gagne won the award as a reliever. Granted he's had arm problems since he is still one of the more reliable closers in the game.

Finally......two words: Division title. The first really wouldn't have given us a chance but the other increases our odds greatly.

Boston
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
For starters......two words: Derrick Turbow. Did you really want him to try and close games for a contending team???? He's too inconsistent and hasn't had the stuff for a year and a half.

Next........two words: Cy Young. In 2003 Eric Gagne won the award as a reliever. Granted he's had arm problems since he is still one of the more reliable closers in the game.

Finally......two words: Division title. The first really wouldn't have given us a chance but the other increases our odds greatly.

Has Gagne really been the same since that injury? I don't pretend to follow other teams in baseball very closely, but from what I remember, he played like **** last year.

princefielder28
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Has Gagne really been the same since that injury? I don't pretend to follow other teams in baseball very closely, but from what I remember, he played like **** last year.

When he was with Texas he was very good but when Boston brought him in as more of a middle reliever he struggled.........remember he's coming back to the NL where he had the majority of his success and will not have the media stress that Boston brings upon players

Whistler6
12-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Bringing in Gagne is a smart move.. Yes it's 10 million, and yes that is 1/7 of our TOTAL salary. But honestly guys, when he was in the NL a few years back, he was lights out. He had how many saves in a row? With Texas he didn't do bad either.

Still though, you think well he was injured. Yeah but he is getting his stuff back. Boston took the chance thinking they would get a solid reliever. They wouldn't have taken that chance if they didn't think he could be solid. Being in the AL though, he faced a lot of tough hitters..

In the NL, against our division, plus a bit of a smaller market...I think he will flourish. The 1 year deal doesn't tie us up in his contract. It's a high reward deal, but still somewhat high risk being 10 mil.

All in all..I love the deal, they did a good job of shoring up the weakness of the team THE BULLPEN

Whistler6
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
When he was with Texas he was very good but when Boston brought him in as more of a middle reliever he struggled.........remember he's coming back to the NL where he had the majority of his success and will not have the media stress that Boston brings upon players

and what you said***

princefielder28
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
The Brewers have designated reliever Matt Wise for assignment. He had some good years with the Crew but after the additions to the pen there just wasn't any room remaining for him

GB12
12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
The thing that sucks with Gagne is that if he pitches well there is no chance in hell that we can resign him.

Whistler6
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
The thing is...if we did have him under contract more than a season AND he pitched well, we would end up trading him for youth. Vintage

princefielder28
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Eric Gagne was mentioned in the Mitchell Report; interested to see how the Brewers respond the news

princefielder28
12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
The Brewers are looking at bringing in free agent center fielder Kenny Lofton. In all likelihood Lofton would start in center, Bill Hall would be moved to third, and Ryan Braun to left

drowe
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
The Brewers are looking at bringing in free agent center fielder Kenny Lofton. In all likelihood Lofton would start in center, Bill Hall would be moved to third, and Ryan Braun to left

Kenny Lofton isn't dead yet?

someone447
12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Kenny Lofton isn't dead yet?

No kidding, why don't we sign Julio Franco while we're at it.

princefielder28
12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Brewers sign Gabe Kapler to a one year contract

Whistler6
12-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I like the Kapler signing..Although he was just coaching last season, so I guess we'll see if he can still play

princefielder28
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
The Brewers signed Mike Cameron today. It looks like Bill Hall will be moved to third and Ryan Braun out to left field

GB12
01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
The Brewers signed Mike Cameron today. It looks like Bill Hall will be moved to third and Ryan Braun out to left field
The rumor has been that if we sign Cameron we will try to trade Hall. I'll be pissed if that happens.

princefielder28
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
The rumor has been that if we sign Cameron we will try to trade Hall. I'll be pissed if that happens.

Pissed if we trade Hall or pissed if we move everyone around???

GB12
01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Pissed if we trade Hall or pissed if we move everyone around???
Pissed if we trade Hall. Though moving everyone around could be bad too. We saw what it did to Hall last year, it would kills us if that happened to Braun. Plus you have to let Hall keep a position. Moving him around every year is unfair to him and will only hurt his production.

princefielder28
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Pissed if we trade Hall. Though moving everyone around could be bad too. We saw what it did to Hall last year, it would kills us if that happened to Braun. Plus you have to let Hall keep a position. Moving him around every year is unfair to him and will only hurt his production.

agree 100%

GB12
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Braun to Left, Hall to 3B.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=706421

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't like the Cameron signing. We don't need someone with a bad on OBP and BA who strikes out a lot. This will definitely give us a better defense than we had last year, but I'd rather have Lofton

GB12
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't like the Cameron signing. We don't need someone with a bad on OBP and BA who strikes out a lot. This will definitely give us a better defense than we had last year, but I'd rather have Lofton
Plus he has to sit out the first month of the season for a failed drug test.

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
That's true. At least Gwynn should get some significant playing time. I'm interested to see what he does with that opportunity.

drowe
01-13-2008, 07:21 AM
yeah, i'm ok with the cameron signing. at worst he's a decent everyday outfielder. at best he's the true CF/leadoff hitter the Crew has been looking for.

GB12
01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
yeah, i'm ok with the cameron signing. at worst he's a decent everyday outfielder. at best he's the true CF/leadoff hitter the Crew has been looking for.
It wasn't a big deal to me until I saw what we are paying him. $7 million this year with a $10 million option for next year.

Whistler6
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
a 35 year old, strike out king, suspended for 25 games player...? Umm I think it could work out great but I don't see much of an upgrade with him from Jenkins..

Pacific
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I think the power numbers should be similar to what Jenkins had or even greater for Cameron, and Cameron is definitely an upgrade over Jenkins in the speed category. I love this signing.

drowe
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I think the power numbers should be similar to what Jenkins had or even greater for Cameron, and Cameron is definitely an upgrade over Jenkins in the speed category. I love this signing.

welcome. we're happy to have another brewer fan. now, where did you get that awesome sig? did you make it yourself or did somebody make it for you?

Pacific
02-08-2008, 11:29 AM
welcome. we're happy to have another brewer fan. now, where did you get that awesome sig? did you make it yourself or did somebody make it for you?

Thanks!! I'm glad to be here.

I ended up changing my sig before I saw your post but yes, I did make the Fielder sig myself. I also made the Braun one. You can use the Fielder one if you want, just please credit me :D

Go Crew!

princefielder28
02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks!! I'm glad to be here.

I ended up changing my sig before I saw your post but yes, I did make the Fielder sig myself. I also made the Braun one. You can use the Fielder one if you want, just please credit me :D

Go Crew!

Yes Welcome!

Who do we think will make up the rotation this year?

1. Ben Sheets
2. Yovani Gallardo
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Carlos Villanueva
5. Dave Bush

I know no lefties but I don't think Capuano or Vargas deserve a spot

Bullpen
Manny Parra
Brian Shouse
Solomon Torres
David Riske
Derrick Turnbow
Guillermo Mota
Eric Gagne

GB12
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
We picked up the 2009 option for Ned Yost...
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/02/08/brewers-pick-up-yost-s-2009-option.aspx

GB12
02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Vargas isn't a lefty.

the_legend_killer
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes Welcome!

Who do we think will make up the rotation this year?

1. Ben Sheets
2. Yovani Gallardo
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Carlos Villanueva
5. Dave Bush

Bullpen
Manny Parra
Brian Shouse
Solomon Torres
David Riske
Derrick Turnbow
Guillermo Mota
Eric Gagne

I think Capuano has a good shot at going in the rotation, he just has to avoid "that inning" that always seemed to happen to him. Bush would be good in long relief, since he throws a lot of strikes. Otherwise I wouldn't mind Bush as the 5th starter (he does have as many wins in the last two years as any other Brewer SP). As far as the bullpen I think your synopsis looks pretty accurate, although I'd rather have Parra down in AAA pitching every 5th day instead of long relieving.

drowe
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
yeah
Sheets
Gallardo
Suppan
Villenueva
at 5, the last couple years, they've been awarding the last rotation spot to whoever performs the best in Spring Training. Bush/Cappy/Vargas with Parra as a dark horse candidate. should be a good battle. it'd be nice if we could get trade value for one of the vets.

princefielder28
02-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Vargas isn't a lefty.

Really that's news to me.....I was just making a general statement that there were no lefties in the rotation and aside from that Capuano was in reference to the lefties comment and Vargas because he started last year. I'd do proper grammar and **** but it's only a forum

someone447
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Really that's news to me.....I was just making a general statement that there were no lefties in the rotation and aside from that Capuano was in reference to the lefties comment and Vargas because he started last year. I'd do proper grammar and **** but it's only a forum

I hate when people say that. You should use proper grammar anytime you write. It is practice. I know my writing has improved tremendously when I started using correct grammar in e-mails and on message boards.

princefielder28
02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I hate when people say that. You should use proper grammar anytime you write. It is practice. I know my writing has improved tremendously when I started using correct grammar in e-mails and on message boards.

I don't usually make mistakes grammatically but the one I did make got caught....sorry!

Pacific
02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
As hard as he is on the bullpen, I still want to see Vargas start the year as our #5 guy. If he could just keep his pitch count down and make it past the 5th inning sometimes, I think he's one of our better options for the rotation. I hope we can trade Capuano either before or early in the season and get some value for him, send Parra to AAA, and keep Bush in the bullpen as a spot starter and possible replacement for Claudio if he falters....

Rotation
- Ben Sheets
- Jeff Suppan
- Yovani Gallardo
- Carlos Villanueva
- Claudio Vargas

Bullpen
- Dave Bush
- Solomon Torres
- Guillermo Mota
- Derrick Turnbow
- Eric Gagne
- Brian Shouse
- David Riske

princefielder28
02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
That's the thing about Vargas though is he has never been a guy who can eat up innings. If he makes it to the 6th that's a moral victory for himself and that's tough on the bullpen especially if the top of the rotation guys have a bad start. With Dave Bush he occasionally gives up the big inning, but he saves the bullpen.

princefielder28
02-17-2008, 04:13 PM
http://greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/GPG0206/80217046/1225

Not good news but it's best that it happened now as the article stats

GB12
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Gallardo out 4 weeks with a knee injury
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/02/17/gallardo-to-miss-4-weeks-after-knee-surgery.aspx

drowe
02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
well. that ******* sucks.

guess he's like sheets in several ways.

saintsfan912
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Brewers fan here. Anybody know what's going on with Ben's and Rickie's injurys?

drowe
02-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Brewers fan here. Anybody know what's going on with Ben's and Rickie's injurys?

well, the fact that Rickie could be healthy all year is one of my main reasons for optimism. he was terrible last year due to hand problems and we know he can be great when healthy.

as far as Ben, as you can tell by my sig, i love him, but, he cannot be counted on to stay healthy. but, this is a contract year, so, he'll probably be lights out and win 20 games. :)

GB12
02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
well, the fact that Rickie could be healthy all year is one of my main reasons for optimism. he was terrible last year due to hand problems and we know he can be great when healthy.

as far as Ben, as you can tell by my sig, i love him, but, he cannot be counted on to stay healthy. but, this is a contract year, so, he'll probably be lights out and win 20 games. :)
That would be great, and would also suck. If he does play at the level he's capable of we're going to have a tough time keeping him.

drowe
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah, the Brew Crew is gonna be faced with some tough decisions coming up. they're just not going to be able to re sign everybody. some wild, shot in the dark predictions.

-we'll lose Prince Fielder-he's reached superstar status, and it's very likely his weight will catch up to him to the point that he won't be able to play first base anymore, so, he'll go to the AL and be a DH. yet another reason the DH is BS.

-we'll lose Ben Sheets-we know his injury history. but, some big market team in need of starting pitchers will want to pay him the money that an Ace without the injury concerns would garner, and the Brewers would be foolish to match that.

-I think Braun, Hardy, Weeks and hopefully Corey Hart are the core that will be around for a long time. they're all guys that haven't had a chance to reach their potential yet, and the Brewers are more aware of that than anybody. so, we'll keep them together and cut the losses with anybody else that emerges.

princefielder28
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I hate to agree with drowe but there's a chance PF isn't with us for the long term. For starters they are going to need to lock him up and with Scott Boras as the agent we know that'll be an adventure. His durability is a question due to his weight. The Brewers also have Matt LaPorta in the minors who can take over at 1st if we do get rid of Prince.

RyanBraun8
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Theres always hope that we can keep Prince. I mean the player has a say in it even if the agent is a prick. The key is that we have to keep his 2 best friends around(Rickie and Tony Jr.) and be willing to give him what he deserves.

His weight isn't going to be that big of an issue for awhile, He works hard to keep it off and he is actually very fit and athletic for his size & frame.
I mean he was 300 pounds when he was 16 and people thought weight would be an issue in high school. He knows how to keep himself where he needs to be to perform at a high level. Thats IMO

When its time for him to leave he will be on a team fighting for the World Series every year, theres alot of reasons for him to want to stay and prob be willing to give Milwaukee a great chance to give him a great deal for less than alot of other teams.

drowe
02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
well, a lot can happen. it's almost pointless to even speculate who will be here 5 years down the road. time to focus on 2008.

reasons for optimism:

-Rickie Weeks-yes, he is my #1 reason for optimism. he CAN be great, and last year, everything the Brewers accomplished was with a huge hole at second base and very little production at the plate. If he's healthy, a weakness from last year could turn into a strong point.

-Ryan Braun in the outfield and Bill Hall at third base-I love this move. When Hall got moved to the outfield, the expectation was that is offensive production would increase. well, for whatever reason, the pressure got to him and he regressed....and played very bad defense. now, he's back where he belongs and Braun's questionable fielding skills will be hidden in left field where he can concentrate on his bat.

-Corey Hart-seriously, i love this guy. him and Braun in the same outfield makes me very happy.

-Ben Sheets in a contract year-yeah kinda superficial, but, if he at least pitches up to his ability, he will work wonders.

-The Cubs suck balls. that is all.

reasons for pessimism.

-JJ Hardy-the guy played sooooooo well in the early part of 2007 and I fear we might never see that kind of production from him again.

-Catcher-Estrada/Miller replaced with Kendall/Rivera. I like Rivera, but I don't see this as an upgrade by any stretch.

-The Bullpen-really, this is more of a wild card than a reason for pessimism, but there's a lot of new faces there, and a lot of question marks. i'm ok with CoCo going because i think we got the best out of him, but we got 3 roid cases now with T-Bow, Gagne and Mota.

overall,
i think it comes down to consistency. if they can find a way to gel early and avoid the cold spells taht haunted them last year, it'll be a great year. but, that's a big IF. with a young team and so many changes to the back of the rotation, it could be a rough start. but, i'm still hopeful that they can overcome it.

princefielder28
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I am not worried one bit about anyone one of our position players at the plate. Yes, we may strike out our fair share but I like 1-8 quite a bit. The question mark for me lies in the starting rotation. If Ben Sheets can stay healthy that's obviously a big plus and you know Jeff Suppan is gonna give you atleast six solid innings every time he goes out. Now after that, will Gallardo be effective soon after he comes back? Will Carlos Villanueva be effective as a starter all year? Who's our 5th starter gonna be? And most of all can all these pitchers please eat some innings to save the bullpen? I believe our bullpen has a boat load of talent but if their arms are getting used up day in and day out, we are going to run into the same problems as last year.

The team begins and ends with the starting pitching, IMO.

GB12
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
His durability is a question due to his weight.

Prince has gone vegetarian.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=720531

drowe
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
give away days were announced.

the only day you need to know about is September 7th.
Corey mother ******* Hart bobble head day.

GB12
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Great news from Attanasio.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=721341

One of those players is slugger Prince Fielder, whom Attanasio said would be paid whatever it takes to keep him.
"I'm rooting for Prince to hit 60 home runs this year," said Attanasio,
"We'll figure out a way to pay him."

Philadelphia slugger Ryan Howard parlayed his first year of arbitration eligibility into a $10 million deal after making $900,000. Fielder, the youngest player to sock 50 homers last season, is eligible for arbitration after this year and could present a similar case.
"I don't regard any of that stuff," said Attanasio. "That doesn't faze me even a little bit."

"We look at all of them," said Attanasio. "It's a team effort, and you can't say we need Prince but we don't need Ryan. Or we need Prince and Ryan but we don't need Rickie and Corey.
"The fact is we need them all. We've done a lot of background preparation. We might even approach them before the season starts."

Looks like he's serious about being an owner and keeping us competative.

princefielder28
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Great news from Attanasio.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=721341

Looks like he's serious about being an owner and keeping us competative.

That makes me smile

princefielder28
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Chris Capuano got absolutely rocked today in a spring training game against Texas...2+ IP, 6 ER, 7 H

roidrunner
03-07-2008, 03:20 PM
i swear this guy is either lights out, or lit up. atleast it is spring training.

drowe
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris Capuano got absolutely rocked today in a spring training game against Texas...2+ IP, 6 ER, 7 H

damn. duder had more to gain/lose than anybody in spring training. i think he's worn out his usefulness as a Brewer.

roidrunner
03-07-2008, 03:46 PM
lets dump him for a bag of balls and a keg. that way we could wish him goodbye in style.

Or is that asking too much for him?

drowe
03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
lets dump him for a bag of balls and a keg. that way we could wish him goodbye in style.

Or is that asking too much for him?

he's a crafty young lefty that was an all star 2 years ago...maybe some team will be too stupid to realize he's only slightly more effective than a t-ball stand now.

princefielder28
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
he's a crafty young lefty that was an all star 2 years ago...maybe some team will be too stupid to realize he's only slightly more effective than a t-ball stand now.

I am willing to bet that the Texas Rangers would have some interest

roidrunner
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
so a bag of baseballs and a keg are not out of the question....

princefielder28
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Manny Parra pitched really well today allowing just one hit and striking out three over four ininngs

badgerbacker
03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Manny Parra pitched really well today allowing just one hit and striking out three over four ininngsParra has been pitching pretty well all Spring. I know Ned doesn't like to look too much into Spring performances, but I'd really like to see him in the rotation. Definitely would rather he be there than Cappy.

princefielder28
03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Based off Spring Training so far this is how I see the rotation

1. Ben Sheets
2. Yovani Gallardo with Manny Parra filling in until Gallardo is fully healthy
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Carlos Villanueva
5. Claudio Vargas

Not a big fan of Vargas but he is getting the job done

drowe
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Based off Spring Training so far this is how I see the rotation

1. Ben Sheets
2. Yovani Gallardo with Manny Parra filling in until Gallardo is fully healthy
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Carlos Villanueva
5. Claudio Vargas

Not a big fan of Vargas but he is getting the job done

yeah, i kinda agree with that...but, i think when Gallardo gets healty, Parra is gonna take over the 5th spot.

princefielder28
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah, i kinda agree with that...but, i think when Gallardo gets healty, Parra is gonna take over the 5th spot.

I'd like to see Parra in the rotation too but I don't know if management wants to put three youngsters in the rotation and expect them to eat innings and be productive all year.

Pacific
03-15-2008, 04:33 PM
First wave of cuts.....
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080315&content_id=2428876&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil&partnered=rss_mil

Matt LaPorta, Andy Bouchie to minor league camp.
Tim Dillard, Zach Jackson, Hernan Iribarren, and Brad Nelson to AAA-Nashville.

princefielder28
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080317&content_id=2436595&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Chris CRAPuano exits a game with soreness after continuing to struggle this spring. The organization has given him every chance to make the team for 2008, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Hello fans of the Brewers, Yahoo gave me Dave Bush at the very bottom of my draft (stopped preranking after about 200 players), will he even make the Brewers rotation? Rafael Perez is available, and I'm wondering if Bush is even worth a spot on the bench.

roidrunner
03-22-2008, 11:26 AM
i dont think he is going to start.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
i dont think he is going to start.

Give me a %. I'm guessing it's between him and Parra? I would assume that Bush is the favorite due to experience.

roidrunner
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
he will start the first 30 days cause of caps injury, but after that it is hard to tell

princefielder28
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Give me a %. I'm guessing it's between him and Parra? I would assume that Bush is the favorite due to experience.

starting rotation

sheets
gallardo/parra
suppan
villanueva
vargas

this is the rotation that i project with bush as a potential long reliever

GB12
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Cabrera signed an 8 year $153 million deal with the Tigers. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3307289

Lie to us all you want Mr. Attanasio, but as soon as Fielder and Braun are free agents they are out of Milwaukee. :(

EvilMonkey
03-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Cabrera signed an 8 year $153 million deal with the Tigers. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3307289

Lie to us all you want Mr. Attanasio, but as soon as Fielder and Braun are free agents they are out of Milwaukee. :(

I think we'll be able to afford 1 of them at least. When Gagne, Cameron, Kendall, etc. are gone (possibly Sheets too) that is a lot of money that we could put toward a contract to one of those guys. I just hope we can afford to keep Weeks, Hart, Braun or Fielder, Yo and Parra for like the next 5-7 years or whatever and we should still be pretty set for the future as long as we keep drafting as good as we have.

EvilMonkey
03-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Capuano out for the year, 2nd article has some stuff on the rotation
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/default.aspx

GB12
03-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Claudio Vargas cut
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/03/25/brewers-release-vargas.aspx

roidrunner
03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
well what will out rotation look like then.

princefielder28
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Claudio Vargas cut
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/03/25/brewers-release-vargas.aspx

Plenty of teams out there that could use his services.....Cardinals may be a likely destination

EvilMonkey
03-25-2008, 04:03 PM
well what will out rotation look like then.

Well, Sheets, Suppan, Bush, Parra, Villaneauva for now. Yovanni will replace whoever is struggling when he gets back. I'd say re replacing Villaneauva since the staff has always loved Bush and Parra will stay since he's a lefty. Ideally I would like Bush out of the bullpen and a spot start every now and then after Yovanni comes back but dont know if its gonna happen.

EvilMonkey
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3316138

Cappy gonna try to rehab instead of surgery in hopes of pitching this season. Doubt it goes well and even if it does dont think he'll factor much for us this year, but figured i might as well post it.

princefielder28
03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3316138

Cappy gonna try to rehab instead of surgery in hopes of pitching this season. Doubt it goes well and even if it does dont think he'll factor much for us this year, but figured i might as well post it.

Capuano will be a none factor for the near and distant future for the Crew

EvilMonkey
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Capuano will be a none factor for the near and distant future for the Crew

yeah even if he somehow can come back from this a little quicker, the young guys will probably will have established themselves by then and it's not like he has pitched well in spring or anything that shows he could make the team even if he wasnt hurt.

drowe
03-29-2008, 07:03 AM
well, i got my opening day tickets. i'm pumped!

princefielder28
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
OPENING DAY!!!!!!!

I hope it doesn't get rained out

According to owner Mark Antanasio, the Brewers have already began discussions with representatives of Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun on long term deals.

EvilMonkey
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
OPENING DAY!!!!!!!

I hope it doesn't get rained out

According to owner Mark Antanasio, the Brewers have already began discussions with representatives of Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun on long term deals.

I'm praying we can get some of these deals done. Figure with the money we have in Gagne and Cameron this year, that can be allocated to at least one of these deals for the future and hopefully we can raise the payroll a little bit more to cover the other deal. What do you think will be reasonable pay for these guys??

princefielder28
03-31-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm praying we can get some of these deals done. Figure with the money we have in Gagne and Cameron this year, that can be allocated to at least one of these deals for the future and hopefully we can raise the payroll a little bit more to cover the other deal. What do you think will be reasonable pay for these guys??

Remember Sheets contract comes off the books this year too and that'll free up some space.

As far as contracts....Braun about 6 years, 40 million dollars and Prince 6 years, 50 million

GB12
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
well, i got my opening day tickets. i'm pumped!
As in today or opening day in Milwaukee?

princefielder28
03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Big win today to start the season! First blown save of the year by Gagne but Gwynn picked him up with a RBI in the 10th.

badgerbacker
03-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Gagne looked terrible. That will happen when you walk/get behind hitters though. Hopefully he'll be able to throw his pitches, and especially his change-up, for strikes in the future. If that happens, he could return to his old (or at least his Ranger) form.

Big performance by Sheets. Looks like this year will be like so many others, he'll be dominant if he can stay healthy.

Finally, I can't decide if I like putting the pitcher spot 8th or not. Sure it worked out well once with Kendell leading off an inning, but another inning was lead off by Ben Sheets. The fact of the matter is that the 8 spot comes up more often than the 9 and so you're giving our pitchers more at bats by having them there.

HolySchnikes
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
yeah gange looked terrible, but i'm not worried. we have so many other good relievers that if gange makes a habit of sucking we can put someone else at closer. i mean mota and riske both looked good, torres looked alright, and we still have turnbow, shouse, and villanueva. great win though. hopefully sheets can play like that every time he starts.

EvilMonkey
04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
yeah gange looked terrible, but i'm not worried. we have so many other good relievers that if gange makes a habit of sucking we can put someone else at closer. i mean mota and riske both looked good, torres looked alright, and we still have turnbow, shouse, and villanueva. great win though. hopefully sheets can play like that every time he starts.

dont forget about the manbeast known as Seth McClung....

I still think the Riske signing might have been the smartest move we made this offseason. Cheap and he's a guy who's been proven himself in the AL for years. Doesnt have dominating stuff but is solid and gets the job done. Again not necessarily the "best" move we made but probably the smartest becuase we know what we're getting and his salary is very reasonable for his production.

I was absolutely thrilled to see Mota pitch like he did. Really excited to see what he does this year. Torres was a little shaky but he got through it and considering he started pitching late in spring training, he should hopefully get a little better. (Control was just a little off it seemed)

And Gagne... ugh

RockJock07
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not a brewer fan, how much did Gagne cost you guys? I know it was one bad outing, but he was bad with boston last year.

I really hope the brewers win the central this year, I'm really tired of people overrating the cubs pitching staff. I think if sheets can pitch like he did yesterday, you guys may overtake the cubs. However, I think you need to find a new catcher, kendall is not very good, solid OBP, but no pop at all and is a singles hitter.

Question, why did they move braun to the OF, to shaky at 3rd?

badgerbacker
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not a brewer fan, how much did Gagne cost you guys? I know it was one bad outing, but he was bad with boston last year.

I really hope the brewers win the central this year, I'm really tired of people overrating the cubs pitching staff. I think if sheets can pitch like he did yesterday, you guys may overtake the cubs. However, I think you need to find a new catcher, kendall is not very good, solid OBP, but no pop at all and is a singles hitter.

Question, why did they move braun to the OF, to shaky at 3rd?Gagne is making 10 Million I believe. I wasn't a fan of the move when we made it, but he has some upside as he was good with the Rangers last year. I'm hoping yesterday was a fluke and his struggles with the Red Sox were due to him being in the unfamiliar set-up role. Could be wishful thinking though.

I disagree with you about Kendall, while you hit his abilities right on the head. Our line up is full of guys who can hit the long ball (we set the franchise record last year), and a high OBP guy is exactly what we need. He also gives us a major upgrade over Estrada when it comes to speed. Right now, Yost has him in the 9 spot, basically giving us a second leadoff man. He also gives us a quality veteran on a young team. Catcher for the future is something we need to iron down though.

The Braun to left/Hall to 3rd move improves our defensive infield and outfield. Hall was terrible in Center and Braun made far too many mistakes at 3rd. If we weren't shooting for a playoff spot, we probably would have stuck with Braun at 3rd because he did have promise there, but we just couldn't handle that bad of defense if we want to contend. Hopefully Hall's numbers should improve from last year as well, with him being more comfortable in the infield.

yodabear
04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I am going to the Brewer game next Thursday afternoon, cursing them earlier in the season this year, and oh yeah, I get in free!! And I am skipping math class for it too.

princefielder28
04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I am going to the Brewer game next Thursday afternoon, cursing them earlier in the season this year, and oh yeah, I get in free!! And I am skipping math class for it too.

Lucky you...I'm stuck in frickin Minnesota until mid-May

yodabear
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Lucky you...I'm stuck in frickin Minnesota until mid-May

I got to curse them in mid April cuz I don't get to come curse them in Mid June this year cuz there is no sophomore orientation.

princefielder28
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
game 2 of the season is just about to get going....Suppan vs Lilly is an interesting matchup...Suppan really struggled in Spring Training and hopefully he can turn it on for his opening start of the season...Gabe Kapler gets his first start as a Brewer...See if Gagne gets a chance to close today and if he'll be successful the second time around

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
i laughed my ass off when i heard the Brewers signed Eric Gagne for 10million to be their closer... hopefully i'll be able to continue to laugh.

although to clarify... i would have laughed at anyone who signed Eric Gagne specifically to be their closer...

princefielder28
04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Rickie Weeks first homer of the season comes off the first pitch by Lilly...1-0 lead right away!

princefielder28
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
2 RBI doubles by Bill Hall and Corey Hart to give the Crew a 3-0 lead after 3.5 innings.

princefielder28
04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Already the 2nd time this year, Fielder was put on base and Braun came through with a RBI on the next at bat. Ned has pushed the right buttons so far.

RockJock07
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Cory hart looking like rickey henderson

GB12
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't like this pulling Braun before the 9th. I know he's not a good defender, but he's playing left field and we have a 4 run lead. I could understand when we did it last year when he was playing third and we had a 1 run lead, but to me this is just dumb. Shouldn't he be in there so he can get game experience and improve his fielding. We can't keep taking him out like this. If we blow a four run lead it's going to be because of a bullpen disaster, not the left fielder.

princefielder28
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Two games, two wins...Suppan pitched well today with Braun and Kendall contributing the most offensively. Riske looked good out of the pen again...really liked the base running today too...good start to the season

drowe
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
yeah. f u cubs.

also, i'm going to opening day on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
i laughed my ass off when i heard the Brewers signed Eric Gagne for 10million to be their closer... hopefully i'll be able to continue to laugh.

although to clarify... i would have laughed at anyone who signed Eric Gagne specifically to be their closer...

Well, if our closer is going to blow the save, we simply need to blow out the Cubs. Not as hard as hard as people say...

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
that's true... i was tellin my friend up here that he's lucky that they scored so many runs cuz otherwise Gagne woulda blown it.

Boston
04-02-2008, 06:52 PM
that's true... i was tellin my friend up here that he's lucky that they scored so many runs cuz otherwise Gagne woulda blown it.

And if the Cubs were to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth, Wood would, ha, no doubt have blown the game in the tenth.

GB12
04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Now that's not entirely accurate

It probably would have been Turnbow blowing it.

saintsfan912
04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I didn't get to see the first game of the season. How did my boy Ben Sheets pitch? I know his stats showed he did damn well but did he have his heat and curve back in full effect?

GB12
04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I didn't get to see the first game of the season. How did my boy Ben Sheets pitch? I know his stats showed he did damn well but did he have his heat and curve back in full effect?
He was great. Looked like the Ben Sheets of '04. Hopefully he can stay healthy like the Sheets of '04 too.

princefielder28
04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Dave Bush vs Ryan Dempster in the finale of the series. Two pitchers who can be cruising along through the game and then all of a sudden the wheels can fall off and they get blasted. Which pitcher falls apart first? Which manager recognizes a move needs to be made before their team gets in a deep hole? And will the lineup change of Soriano to the top help the Cubs?

roidrunner
04-03-2008, 12:07 PM
hopefully yost realized that bush is this way. cause i really badly want the sweep. that would be pretty sweet. sweeping the cubbies on the opening series, and when so many "experts" said that they were going to win. its like sticking it to them. just a little bit. but i know that this is only the first two or three games and we still have 160 or so more games, but still it would be nice to slap the cubs up.

princefielder28
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
The wheels are coming off....Ned do something!!!!!

One run allowed...could've been much worse

PackerLegend
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
The wheels are coming off....Ned do something!!!!!

One run allowed...could've been much worse

just gave up a homerun its getting worse but no one was on base.

princefielder28
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
The Brewers drop one to the Cubs today 6-3...Dave Bush struggled a bit and there were some bright spots in the offense today but nothing that really sustained after the first inning.

Heading home to play the Giants now

roidrunner
04-03-2008, 08:35 PM
we better beat the crud out of the giants.

princefielder28
04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Miller Park's parking lot was full at 11 in the morning...great to see...fans are so pumped for this game and the season

GB12
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I knew Billy was going to have a comeback year. I couldn't stand when people wanted to trade him.

M.O.T.H.
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Can one of you guys do me a favor? Track down Braun and tell him to stop swinging at every damn pitch, M.O.T.H.'s fantasy team is suffering.

Thanks guys. :)

princefielder28
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Can one of you guys do me a favor? Track down Braun and tell him to stop swinging at every damn pitch, M.O.T.H.'s fantasy team is suffering.

Thanks guys. :)

I'll see what I can do

Big win today as the Crew demolished the Giants....Manny Parra goes tomorrow and hopefully he can carry over his productive spring into the season.

GB12
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I'll see what I can do

Big win today as the Crew demolished the Giants....Manny Parra goes tomorrow and hopefully he can carry over his productive spring into the season.
If he can't have a good start against the Giants there's something seriously wrong with him.

roidrunner
04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
13-4 yeah baby, thats what i like to see. bill hall had a huge day. hopefully Parra can come out tomorrow and keep down the giant. i expect Braun's bat to wake up real soon.

EvilMonkey
04-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Great start for us so far. I love that we've been able to get runs without relying on the long ball (Bill Hall yesterday was an exception yesterday but even later he had a clutch single to get a run in). We're running the bases so well and everyone has hit well in big situations. Prince is doing exactly what I hoped he could this year. He seems much more patient with runners on and is just trying to get good contact, not kill the ball. If he can keep driving in a couple runs a game even when he doesnt get the HRs, we'll be in great shape.

Cant say enough about the bullpen as well. Other than Gagne's opening day, our bullpen has looked fantastic. I was a bt worried about them because I didnt know if ur guys could hold up if when we get into a long extra inning game. All guys who were set-up men and 1 inning guys in the past and I was nervous, but McClung and Torres each being able to go 3 innings was huge for us and really has me excited about our pen. McClung, Torres, and Riske should be able to give us a couple innings if we need them and Mota probably can too. Add Turnbow and Gagne for an inning when they can control their stuff (hopefully soon) and we should have an unbelievable pen.

GB12
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Great play by Corey Hart.

M.O.T.H.
04-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I'll see what I can do

Thanks for straightening him out. :)

princefielder28
04-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Brewers with a tight win today and Gagne gets his first save of the season. Braun hit his first homer and Mike Rivera played well today filling in. Going for the sweep tomorrow with Big Ben on the mound.

GB12
04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Kendall just did two things Estrada never could have done. He made it to first on that grounder, and he got to third on Rickie's hit. Estrada wouldn't have even been half way down the line when the first baseman got the ball.

GB12
04-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Kendall just did two things Estrada never could have done. He made it to first on that grounder, and he got to third on Rickie's hit. Estrada wouldn't have even been half way down the line when the first baseman got the ball.
3. Scoring on a sac fly

princefielder28
04-06-2008, 03:16 PM
The Crew is taken care of the Giants pretty good today. Big Ben and Braun have had huge days and Gabe Kapler is continuing his hot start.

Whistler6
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
5 things I've noticed and REALLY like

1. Parra is only going to get better
2. It's nice having TOO MANY arms in the bullpen
3. Corey Hart is built to be a leadoff hitter, especially how he steals bases
4. David Riske is all about throwing strikes
5. Gagne finally shaved that nest off his face

Okay 6...

6. I'm glad we let Vargas go because I couldn't stand anymore 4-5 hour games with his slow, slow, slowwwww delivery. Plus he'll latch on somewhere else

Whistler6
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
For the Reds series, we def. have to pitch around Dunn. Bush and Suppan can sometimes throw meat 88 MPH fast balls belt high. We need to keep the ball low and away from Griffey and Dunn. Also, I think we def. need to get up early so that we don't have to see Cordero in the 9th.

I look forward to Jenks playing a couple games back in Miller Park. Should be a good series. Still, if Bush and Suppan don't get out of the first 3-4 innings unscathed we could be in for some high scoring games

Whistler6
04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
NEVERMIND on Jenkins..he's in Philly not with the Reds

roidrunner
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
we can outscore them on any given day. as long as our pitching keeps its act together, should take atleast 2 games, maybe even sweep :knocking on wood:

princefielder28
04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Brewers/Reds Series

Pitching Probables

Tuesday : Jeff Suppan vs Johnny Cueto
Suppan pitched very well in his 2008 debut against the Cubs, and if last year was any indication he'll have a strong April. For the Reds Johnny Cueto made his major league debut last week and he didn't disappoint; seven strong innings allowing one earned run and striking out ten. The Brewers need to figure him out the first time through so he doesn't have a repeat performance.

Wednesday : Dave Bush vs Josh Fogg
Dave Bush struggled quite a bit against the Cubs, and he needs to figure out what went wrong because if continues to pitch this poorly Yovani Gallardo will be knocking him out the rotation instead of one of the other youngsters. Josh Fogg managed to do worse than Dave Bush did in his first start, and somehow this man coninues to find work in the majors. He's not intimidating whatsoever and he'll usually have his bad stuff more often than not. Get to him early and often so you can work the bullpen of the Reds

Thursday : Carlos Villanueva vs Aaron Harang
Villanueva pitched the home opener at Miller Park and he gave the crowd a solid showing. Unfortunately for him he'll be going up against one of the NL's top pitcher in Aaron Harang. Harang pitched very well in his last outing after struggling to start the season against the D'Backs. This should be an interesting matchup to close out the series. As a side note, Villanueva made his major league debut against the Reds two seasons ago at Great American Ballpark.

Players to watch

Reds : SS Jeff Keppinger
Keppinger has been swinging a hot bat in an offense that already features Dunn, Griffey, and Phillips. The Crew will have no choice to go after him and keep him off the bases.

Brewers : 1B Prince Fielder
Fielder has started off the '08 season without a homer in the first six games. The Crew go up against three right handers; something has to give.

princefielder28
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Big hold by Brian Shouse with bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the eighth!

JT Jag
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys. :)Mention that I need him to go off for 40 this year.

badgerbacker
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Shouse has ice in his veins. Without a doubt the MVP of the bullpen last year, IMO.

And is anyone else pissed that FSN is showing the terrible Bucks instead of the Brewers? WTF?

princefielder28
04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Shouse has ice in his veins. Without a doubt the MVP of the bullpen last year, IMO.

And is anyone else pissed that FSN is showing the terrible Bucks instead of the Brewers? WTF?

MLB TV is a great thing

GB12
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Where are you?

EDIT: Also no, Shouse wasn't. Cordero easily was. Shouse was terrible until after the all star break.

GB12
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Holy **** **** ass *****. **** you Gagne

princefielder28
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Holy **** **** ass *****. **** you Gagne

That wasn't that bad of a pitch; Patterson got the head of the bat around on the inside pitch and it got out on the short porch.

VoteLynnSwan
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Eric Gagne do what Eric Gagne do

GB12
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
That wasn't that bad of a pitch; Patterson got the head of the bat around on the inside pitch and it got out on the short porch.
In 2 appearances he gave up 2 game tying home runs. I don't really care how good or bad the pitch was. Until he proves himself again I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

roidrunner
04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
is it too early to try and run Gagne out of town? cause i already have my pitchfork and torch ready, i just need the green light to go.

princefielder28
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Brewers Win!

badgerbacker
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Where are you?

EDIT: Also no, Shouse wasn't. Cordero easily was. Shouse was terrible until after the all star break.I'm in Madison. And you are right, I was referring more to the second half of the season and wasn't really including Cordero. I probably should have said middle-reliever.

Boston
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Eric Gagne do what Eric Gagne do

And the Brewers do what the Brewers do.

GB12
04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm in Madison. And you are right, I was referring more to the second half of the season and wasn't really including Cordero. I probably should have said middle-reliever.
Ah, in the Milwaukee area the game was on WMLW. That's why FSN wasn't airing it. They have the rights to I think 15 or so of the games.

EvilMonkey
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
In 2 appearances he gave up 2 game tying home runs. I don't really care how good or bad the pitch was. Until he proves himself again I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

not trying to defend him, but he did have a save the other day. So 2 game-tying HRs in 3 appearances.......

Boston
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
not trying to defend him, but he did have a save the other day. So 2 game-tying HRs in 3 appearances.......

Remember when closers were expected to 'close' games?

GB12
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I should probably get some sleep. I've made mistakes in 3 different threads in the past 5 minutes.

Anyway the less we see of Gagne and Turnbow the better.

EvilMonkey
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Gagne is just so tough to watch. I was at the game and the first batter he faced he just looked amazing, pitches of 90, 99, 66, and 84 mph and all located well. (the 99 was on a check swing that i think something probably got screwed up because he never topped 94 after that) Obviously, it fell apart after that, it was only 1 pitch but still was unacceptable. You simply cant give up homers as a closer and i really have no faith in him at all at this point.

i'm bout ready to give up on him and T-bow possibly too, give mota the closer job and let Riske, Torres, Shouse, and McClung do the rest. Make Gagne and T-Bow earn more prominent roles.

Also on the issue of pitching, nothing certain or anything, but my roommate said he was listening to Jim Rome at work today and he interviewed Yost and Yost said that when Gallardo gets back Sheets and Suppan and gonna have to step up and provide leadership with 3 young arms pitching behind them. Didnt say anything certain but I hope this means Bush is out of the rotation when Gallardo gets back. I think Bush could be a nice long reliever and spot starter when we need him the rest of the way.

badgerbacker
04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Also on the issue of pitching, nothing certain or anything, but my roommate said he was listening to Jim Rome at work today and he interviewed Yost and Yost said that when Gallardo gets back Sheets and Suppan and gonna have to step up and provide leadership with 3 young arms pitching behind them. Didnt say anything certain but I hope this means Bush is out of the rotation when Gallardo gets back. I think Bush could be a nice long reliever and spot starter when we need him the rest of the way.Yes, Bush is definitely out of the rotation when Gallardo gets back. I'm not sure what they plan on doing with him, but I think him leaving the rotation has been the plan all along. Parra's strong pitching has only helped make that an easy decision.

princefielder28
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Yes, Bush is definitely out of the rotation when Gallardo gets back. I'm not sure what they plan on doing with him, but I think him leaving the rotation has been the plan all along. Parra's strong pitching has only helped make that an easy decision.

My thought process has been Gallrado rotation, Bush in the pen for long relief, and McClung adios!

drowe
04-09-2008, 07:04 PM
maybe Gagne would do better if his face didn't look like a vagina.

GB12
04-09-2008, 09:18 PM
My thought process has been Gallrado rotation, Bush in the pen for long relief, and McClung adios!
Keep McClung, Turnbow can get the **** out.

princefielder28
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Keep McClung, Turnbow can get the **** out.

You're right...McClung is something special; there's a reason why the Rays had no use for him

GB12
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey I'd be just fine shipping both out

princefielder28
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey I'd be just fine shipping both out

fortunately Turnbow's contract is up at the end of the year....can't really win with either

roidrunner
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
so basically, we need to lose, mcclung, gagne, and turnbow.

GB12
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Well being realistic McClung will be the one gone when we activate Gallardo. Hopefully we'll just outright release him. As for Turnbow it's not going to happen, but we might as well release him. He's useless to us. He won't touch the closer job again here and he can't even pitch when there's no pressure what so ever like tonight. Does anyone feel comfortable putting Turnbow in with a 1 run lead? 2? 3? I sure don't. I'd rather let Riske or Torres go two innings even if that means they have to hit then put Turnbow out there.

roidrunner
04-09-2008, 11:09 PM
i think riske, torres or mota should be moved to our closer. put gagne down to AAA and have him learn what the hell is wrong with him. maybe it will do him some good. as for turnbow. lets just cut him

princefielder28
04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
i think riske, torres or mota should be moved to our closer. put gagne down to AAA and have him learn what the hell is wrong with him. maybe it will do him some good. as for turnbow. lets just cut him

you can't put Gagne down in AAA...if the Brewers want Gagne to figure out whats wrong they'll put him in situations where they're up by alot or getting crushed. Riske then would move into the closer role with Mota setting up and Torres and Shouse as seventh inning guys.

roidrunner
04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
i think gagne would do better going to AAA cause i dont even want gagne or turnbow in the game at all, unless we have like 10+ runs on them.

EvilMonkey
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
not gonna clear waivers so dont even start this AAA crap

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM
what team is going to pick up a closer for 10 mil a year, that can barely close games as is???

PackerLegend
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Ive never liked Turnbow I thought he should have been gone last year. Whenever Turnbow is in no matter how big a led we have im confident he will find a way to blow it.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
i see us trading for the more bullpen help, if those two dont start to fix there **** up.

Scotty D
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
i think gagne would do better going to AAA cause i dont even want gagne or turnbow in the game at all, unless we have like 10+ runs on them.

That simply isn't possible. I don't think you can even do that.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 12:20 AM
why couldnt we put gagne in AAA?

badgerbacker
04-10-2008, 12:21 AM
you can't put Gagne down in AAA...if the Brewers want Gagne to figure out whats wrong they'll put him in situations where they're up by alot or getting crushed. Riske then would move into the closer role with Mota setting up and Torres and Shouse as seventh inning guys.
We need Gagne to "get injured" so he can get some rehab time in the minors. A strained muscle in the back sounds about right.

All joking aside though, Gagne is a closer and has a closer mindset. I can promise if he's put in low pressure situations he'd probably do worse. I'm guessing that is one of the reasons he struggled so much in Boston.

Also, I haven't really been keeping up on the Brewer news like I normally do, is something physically wrong with Turnbow? Like him or hate him, he always was throwing in the upper 90's before. Tonight, I don't think I saw him hit anything above 91.

badgerbacker
04-10-2008, 12:22 AM
why couldnt we put gagne in AAA?He would need to pass waivers for that to happen, which likely wouldn't.

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Cordero gets a save for the Reds; Brewers lose 4-1

PackerLegend
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Prince can you do us a favor and tell your baseball bat to wake up and start hitting some homers.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
so does everyone think it is the pitchers that are screwing up? or do you think it is Yost. I mean our pitcher should of not been in there that long.

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
so does everyone think it is the pitchers that are screwing up? or do you think it is Yost. I mean our pitcher should of not been in there that long.

Yost kept Villanueva in there too long today. Carlos was getting alot of the plate in the sixth inning and that should've triggered with Ned come the seventh.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
yea, i am thinking that we might need to get a new manager. this is def. a make or break year for yost. he needs to produce now. so lets say he gets fired. who would we go after???? I would not mind seeing Mike Maddux as the new guy. we need to keep him.

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
yea, i am thinking that we might need to get a new manager. this is def. a make or break year for yost. he needs to produce now. so lets say he gets fired. who would we go after???? I would not mind seeing Mike Maddux as the new guy. we need to keep him.

Mike Maddux and Ned Yost usually go together on the pitching decisions and Ned consults with him alot so if Ned goes then so does Mike.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 04:40 PM
dam that sucks. so who do you think it would be???

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
dam that sucks. so who do you think it would be???

I think Dale Sveum would be an interesting candidate. He was the bench coach two years ago and he seems to be well liked by the players. Since he's the third base coach he obviously doesn't have an influence onb the game as much as Ned and Mike but he's very knowledgeable about the game and believe he could do a decent job if asked to do so. Outside of the organization I would think maybe Buck Showalter because of his ties to the Texas Rangers organization. Jerry Narron is another one because of his ties with Melvin assistant Dan O'Brien back when O'Brien was in Cincinnati.

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 04:56 PM
is buck showalter still managing the rangers???

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
is buck showalter still managing the rangers???

No, Ron Washington is

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
we need a manager who will light a fire under these kids ***.

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
we need a manager who will light a fire under these kids ***.

then maybe Larry Bowa would be your guy

roidrunner
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
id like to see bowa. it would be interesting to see

GB12
04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I would absolutely not want Sveum as mangaer. If/when Ned goes we have to sign someone that's not on the current staff and not a former Brewers player.

princefielder28
04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I would absolutely not want Sveum as mangaer. If/when Ned goes we have to sign someone that's not on the current staff and not a former Brewers player.

Just throwing ideas out there

EvilMonkey
04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Hate bitching about umpires but this game is getting ridiculous. Everything 2 inches outside being a strike is getting old in a hurry....

princefielder28
04-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hate bitching about umpires but this game is getting ridiculous. Everything 2 inches outside being a strike is getting old in a hurry....

Nelson is getting the calls no doubt while the Brewers are not getting anything off the edge

roidrunner
04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
stupid freaking new yorkers, the people that i really hate the most.

princefielder28
04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
The Crew is chipping away...it's down to a 3-2 game. Fielder finally broke his hitless streak with a RBI double

EvilMonkey
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
The Crew is chipping away...it's down to a 3-2 game. Fielder finally broke his hitless streak with a RBI double

my fantasy team rejoices

princefielder28
04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
The Crew is playing very sloppy tonight...Gabe Gross makes a mistake in center and Prince made one earlier....Corey Hart needs some fire lit under his a$$ too b/c he sure seems to be dogging it

EvilMonkey
04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
yeah, the crew just hasnt looked that inspired the last few days. I guess I can understand playing in this crap but even against the Reds at home, they seem way to casual about everything. And that starts at the top with Ned....

JT Jag
04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Pardon me if I misinterpret this, but I just happened in here and I have a question.

Why do you want to fire Yost? He took a team that was one of the most mediocre in the league for an extended period of time, and turned it into a competitor. On a budget.

princefielder28
04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Pardon me if I misinterpret this, but I just happened in here and I have a question.

Why do you want to fire Yost? He took a team that was one of the most mediocre in the league for an extended period of time, and turned it into a competitor. On a budget.

There's a point when there has to be that next step and with the talent that has been on this team over the last two seasons that next step, playoffs or very successful season, was expected to occur. If not this year then maybe Ned isn't the guy that can get us there. I am a big fan of Ned but if Doug Melvin believes the manager is the block from the Crew getting to the playoffs then I support his decision.

princefielder28
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
$hit!!!! Losing to Figueroa is about as low as it can go. Nothing against him b/c he's a hard worker but he really doesn't have the stuff to shut down the Brewers like this. That is 7 runs in the last 3 games and that is flat out horse $hit. This team is so much better than that and the bullpen pitched well tonight and the bats were just $hit. What the hell!

GB12
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Yost isn't the reason for that, the players are. It's Yost's fault we didn't win the division last year, and he's not off to a great start this year.

princefielder28
04-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Big Ben vs Johan...should be a good one!

badgerbacker
04-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Yost isn't the reason for that, the players are. It's Yost's fault we didn't win the division last year, and he's not off to a great start this year.I'm not saying Yost is the best manager in the MLB, but I like him and hope he keeps his job. He is a pretty laid back guy, and I think that is the kind of manager we need. Yes, high energy guys are good in theory and it seems like they would get everyone to play with more intensity, but they can also rub a lot of players the wrong way and simply piss everyone off. I can't see Prince Fielder playing for a Larry Bowa type, at all.

Another thing, you can't blame Yost for the Brewers shortcomings and at the same not give him credit for what they have accomplished. For the most part, I would say the players are the biggest part in both cases.

princefielder28
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Bill Hall hammers out another homer....tied at 2

EvilMonkey
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Hopefully Hall can keep it up and have a year like 2 years ago. Good start to that at least. Now we just need other guys to start heating up a little bit.

Pacific
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Seems like moving Hall back to third has been huge for him. Hopefully Braun can figure things out in Left soon so his bat can come alive. His strikeouts are terrible.

princefielder28
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Weeks also logs on to the gone network and the Brewers do have the lead 3-2

drowe
04-12-2008, 02:04 PM
damn..it's getting harder and harder to dislike Gabe Kapler

also, if anybody sees Prince Fielder, could they please give him a bratwurst and tell him to start hitting homers again?

EvilMonkey
04-12-2008, 02:49 PM
holy crap, gagne was good

princefielder28
04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
holy crap, gagne was good

1-2-3 victory!

PackerLegend
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Woot woot Brewers win 5-3. Gange with the save. Can't wait for the game Prince finally hits his 1st homer it cant come soon enough. Hopefully he doesnt stop at 1 and hits about 50 more.

princefielder28
04-13-2008, 11:28 AM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080412&content_id=2520857&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

I would like to see it happen and it will

GB12
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080412&content_id=2520857&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

I would like to see it happen and it will
Too bad Yost is a stubborn ass and won't do it.

GB12
04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh wow, he did. He sure changed his stance on that quickly. So much for "I don't panic after six games or seven games and change my lineup," It was 11 games by the way. Our manager being off by 4 games is something to worry about. I'd love to see Fielder hit one out of the park and Braun to get a couple RBI to really make him look like a moron.

princefielder28
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Gabe Kapler hit his 4th homer of the year already...Brewers up 2-0 early

GB12
04-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Kapler should have the everyday job in center for now. Gross has done nothing to show that he deserves playing time while Kapler has been great.

The intentional walk to Church was a head scratcher

EvilMonkey
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
another solid win for the Crew. My faith in Gagne is slowly coming back as well...

princefielder28
04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Big win for the Crew today and now head to St. Louis and Cincinnati to finish out the road trip.

roidrunner
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
yea gagne i starting to get it going. the brewers took 2 of 3 from the mets. shows that this team has a good amount of telent. lets just hope when we face the reds that we do good, and keep our winning ways, cause there is no reason for us to lose a series to them

princefielder28
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
The Brewers have signed SP Jeff Weaver

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/

EvilMonkey
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
The Brewers have signed SP Jeff Weaver

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/

dont quite understand this move. With Gallardo coming back who are we gonna be moving down/cutting. Obviously Weaver isnt gonna be up right away but they have to have some plan for him at some point. Maybe spot starts and long relief out of the pen but I assumed whoever gets kick out of the rotation when Yovanni comes back is gonna get that role and McClung is gone if he doesnt clear waivers. Who else are we gonna move when Weaver is ready to pitch? Cant say I hate it until I see how much it is for (incentive-laden deal so shouldnt be too much) but definately not in love with the move.

princefielder28
04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
dont quite understand this move. With Gallardo coming back who are we gonna be moving down/cutting. Obviously Weaver isnt gonna be up right away but they have to have some plan for him at some point. Maybe spot starts and long relief out of the pen but I assumed whoever gets kick out of the rotation when Yovanni comes back is gonna get that role and McClung is gone if he doesnt clear waivers. Who else are we gonna move when Weaver is ready to pitch? Cant say I hate it until I see how much it is for (incentive-laden deal so shouldnt be too much) but definately not in love with the move.

Dave Bush and Seth McClung would be the odd men out....if Bush doesn't make a quality start tonight then his days are numbered

EvilMonkey
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Dave Bush and Seth McClung would be the odd men out....if Bush doesn't make a quality start tonight then his days are numbered

that's what i would assume, but I really dont see Weaver as an upgrade over either one of them at this point.

EvilMonkey
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Found this via ESPN fantasy baseball news.

"The Brewers signed Weaver to a minor league contract on Monday.
Spin: Weaver will pitch at Triple-A Nashville and give the Brewers some starting pitching depth. The contarct is believed to have an out clause if he is not called up to the majors within the next two months."

Great deal if that is what it is for. For depth, he'll be great I just didnt want some ridiculous contract where he'd be in the majors for it, which i assumed he might have gotten with Boras as his agent. Really a win-win if that clause is in the deal. If he works out, Great; if not, he's gone with no affect on the Crew.

GB12
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Joe Dillon will start in LF and bat third tonight.

drowe
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Joe Dillon will start in LF and bat third tonight.

good. ned yost has always been a fan of giving a player a day off right after or right before the team has a day off, and it's worked pretty well.

wouldn't be surprised to see joe dillon starting at first base sometime this week.

princefielder28
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
good. ned yost has always been a fan of giving a player a day off right after or right before the team has a day off, and it's worked pretty well.

wouldn't be surprised to see joe dillon starting at first base sometime this week.

I agree that it is a good move but I don't like him batting third...I would move Bill Hall up to third with Dillon at 6

GB12
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
More importantly Yost has put his love fest with Gabe Gross aside and is starting Kapler tonight against a righty.

roidrunner
04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
good cause kapler has been freaking solid and we need to keep giving him some playing time, cause he has been our savior somewhat this year. imagine how bad it would be if we did not have him right now. we would of easily lost atleast 2 more games by now. maybe more

EvilMonkey
04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
More importantly Yost has put his love fest with Gabe Gross aside and is starting Kapler tonight against a righty.

yeah this is definately the bigger issue. Extra day off for Braun cant hurt him or anything. Kapler needs to play everyday this week for sure, possibly until Cameron is ready but I'd be fine with a platoon with Gwynn when he gets healthy, but Gabe Gross has gotta get out of that lineup and nice to see Ned make a move.

PackerLegend
04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Here we go this is for first place. Hopefully Prince finally gets that 1st homer.

EvilMonkey
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
more gabe gross..........

PackerLegend
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
more gabe gross..........

Kapler was going to take the 2nd spot but bruised his shoulder in batting practice not seriously.......if you missed it. Anyways Prince is wearing #42 for Jackie Robinson along with the entire cards team....today was the day the color barrier was broken in baseball.

princefielder28
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Corey Hart is on fire!

GB12
04-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Seriously we have to cut our ties with Turnbow.

PackerLegend
04-15-2008, 10:49 PM

He is like the Ahmad Carroll of the Brewers once he is finally gone it will be the best move the Brewers have made in a long time. Prince really needs to wake up and start hitting **** out of the park. This is a tough strech the Cards the Reds and then the Cards again.

yodabear
04-15-2008, 10:54 PM
He is like the Ahmad Carroll of the Brewers once he is finally gone it will be the best move the Brewers have made in a long time. Prince really needs to wake up and start hitting **** out of the park. This is a tough strech the Cards the Reds and then the Cards again.

That is, if we give Prince anything to hit :). STATEGERY!!!!!!!!

roidrunner
04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
ok we just need to give prince a dang brat, and start hitting the dam ball.

yodabear
04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
ok we just need to give prince a dang brat, and start hitting the dam ball.

He walked 4 times, got on base, maybe the players around him should knock him in.

EvilMonkey
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
He walked 4 times, got on base, maybe the players around him should knock him in.

yeah, cant argue with the guy getting on base 4 times, better than him swinging at crap on 2-0 and 3-0 counts like he was against the reds last week. Prince did fine, Bill Hall just sucked a ton of ass yesterday.

princefielder28
04-16-2008, 09:41 AM

yeah drop his ass and bring up Mitch Stetter or Erasmo Ramirez so we have another lefty in the pen

EvilMonkey
04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Did Rick Ankeil seriously just have a 17 pitch at bat??

GB12
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
This is where have Bush in the pen would be a great help.