PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Lattimore Likely Done Until 2014

Cigaro
10-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Felt like I should go ahead and report this here, but Marcus Lattimore has injured his right knee(he tore the left ACL last year). It looks broken, similar to McGahee's injury at Miami. At a minimum he's done for this year and will likely still be recovering throughout next season, possibility that he may never play again. Just a gruesome injury.

The injury;

http://media.lockerdome.com/uploads/c59073dd08e15516785c79e230d7da20_large

RIP Lattimore's career

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg599/williamp523/IMAG0236.jpg

PossibleCabbage
10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
He's done for the season. He's probably not going to be able to participate in the various postseason all-star games, the combine, or his senior day. That was as bad of a knee injury as I've seen since McGahee. (EDIT: On watching the footage several times against my better judgement, it may be worse than McGahee's injury.)

I really feel bad for him, since he already had the knock for being "injury prone". Now he's just "injured".

thebow305
10-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Just a terrible injury, you could see his leg turned the opposite direction as the defenders piled off of him. Really gotta feel for the guy, one of my favorite prospects this year regardless of position. Definitely was the top rated RB in my book for the 2013 draft. Just a terrible thing to see. Made me absolutely sick to my stomach.

Like PossibleCabbage said, one of the most gruesome sports injuries I've ever seen. Right there with the McGahee injury for sure.

DcmRulz
10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
This was a gruesome injury, and a speed-robbing one, but I don't think it's a career ender. He's still got one year left, and I still think he's talented enough to at least carve a niche as a 3rd down back in the next level, speed or not.

AntoinCD
10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
This is just horrible for him. I think he was likely a fringe first round kinda guy with how he had been playing after the ACL last year, but this horrendous injury may make him undraftable. It's a bad thing since Steve Spurrier has basically run him into the ground for 3 years and he may never become an NFL player now because of it

Hurricanes25
10-27-2012, 01:02 PM
axsG-fOzlkc

Halsey
10-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I feel bad for Lattimore, Gamecock Nation, and teams in need of a RB in the 2013 Draft. That sucks.

Halsey
10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
This is just horrible for him. I think he was likely a fringe first round kinda guy with how he had been playing after the ACL last year, but this horrendous injury may make him undraftable. It's a bad thing since Steve Spurrier has basically run him into the ground for 3 years and he may never become an NFL player now because of it

So now we should criticize a coach for using a star RB heavily? Does that mean you feel the same way about any college team that gives lots of carries to one RB?

WMD
10-27-2012, 01:21 PM
So very ****** up. That sucks.

Matthew Jones
10-27-2012, 01:22 PM
This has to be one of the worst running back classes of all time.

Cigaro
10-27-2012, 01:25 PM

This injury had nothing to do with Lattimore being run into the ground. He's been used a lot less(only 3 carries vs. Florida compared to 44 in 2010, for instance) this season, averaging only 18 carries, which is a completely reasonable workload.

Halsey
10-27-2012, 01:30 PM
It seems like injuries like this happen more to taller RBs such as Lattimore, Mcgahee and Adrian Peterson.

BeerBaron
10-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Couldn't bring myself to watch the injury. I remember seeing McGahee's live when it happened and I get sick at serious knee/leg injuries like that ever since.

Part of me wonders if he should just come out now anyway and at least start collecting pay checks as a mid-round pick. McGahee still went in the first round after his injury and sat for a year. I don't think, with how the RB has been on a downward slope in terms of value, that Lattimore would go in the first, but would some team spend a 3rd round pick on him and let him rehab a year? I think so.

vidae
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Couldn't bring myself to watch the injury. I remember seeing McGahee's live when it happened and I get sick at serious knee/leg injuries like that ever since.

Part of me wonders if he should just come out now anyway and at least start collecting pay checks as a mid-round pick. McGahee still went in the first round after his injury and sat for a year. I don't think, with how the RB has been on a downward slope in terms of value, that Lattimore would go in the first, but would some team spend a 3rd round pick on him and let him rehab a year? I think so.

I'm the same way, but unfortunately for me I saw it as it happened. You definitely don't want to see it.

LonghornsLegend
10-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Why are we all assuming that his career is over? Willis McGahee is still playing like a really good back in the NFL and Clinton Portis retired like a year ago, and I don't remember Portis having any gruesome knee injuries before.

He's young, this is a terrible hit to his draft stock but he's still going to be playing in the NFL.

Thecollegedropout
10-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I think I can speak for some Jets fans that if the Jets were picking in that 15-20 range that we'd have zero problem for drafting Lattimore as he was what we needed but after this injury, I just don't think he can warrant a 1st round pick or a high pick :( Maybe someone does what BUF did and take him regardless but he might be too dinged up.

Maybe he warrants a mid round pick?

Cigaro
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Why are we all assuming that his career is over? Willis McGahee is still playing like a really good back in the NFL and Clinton Portis retired like a year ago, and I don't remember Portis having any gruesome knee injuries before.

He's young, this is a terrible hit to his draft stock but he's still going to be playing in the NFL.

His other knee injury. In the space of two years he suffered serious, season ending injuries in both knees. He certainly could come back, he's a very hard and motivated worker, but one can't be surprised if he never recovers fully either. Its not that he would be completely incapable of playing, but that he wouldn't be able to play at near a high enough level to make it.

Thecollegedropout
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM

I really think RBs for their own good need to start coming out ASAP to the draft...especially when the longevity for a back is around 10 years or less.

RB is the only spot where I can say that you are on borrowed time compared to other positions and that you need to cash in while you still can. Its why I don't hold it against someone like Forte or MJD for trying to rake in while they can.

ChiFan24
10-27-2012, 02:10 PM
My knee started hurting after watching that video.

PossibleCabbage
10-27-2012, 02:12 PM
This has to be one of the worst running back classes of all time.

I think this is the year we see no first round RBs. Sad that it had to happen this way, but it was going to happen eventually.

Thecollegedropout
10-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I think this is the year we see no first round RBs. Sad that it had to happen this way, but it was going to happen eventually.
I think S. Taylor will squeak in late round 1 and someone like NYJ or CIN will trade up with whoever to get him ala Doug Martin/Jahvid Best.

BuddyCHRIST
10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Looked like he definitely broke bone there too, thats Prothro like to me. Such bad luck, cause its just a freak injury.

AntoinCD
10-27-2012, 02:25 PM
This injury had nothing to do with Lattimore being run into the ground. He's been used a lot less(only 3 carries vs. Florida compared to 44 in 2010, for instance) this season, averaging only 18 carries, which is a completely reasonable workload.

I wasn't meaning the workload caused him to get hurt, these injuries can happen to anyone on any carry. However my point is in what equates to less than two NFL seasons Lattimore has had 616 touches of the football. That tread on his tires combined with two really bad injuries may well finish his career. I know people talk about McGahee etc, however those types of players are definitely the exception to the rule.

I do hope i am wrong because pre injury last year he looked like a complete RB prospect, however it will be a long shot now to have any real career, particluarly early on

therock6000
10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Definitely a moment that i will remember exactly where i was when it happened...

ph90702
10-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Replace "season" with "career." His career is probably over.

ph90702
10-27-2012, 02:45 PM
It seems like injuries like this happen more to taller RBs such as Lattimore, Mcgahee and Adrian Peterson.

Exactly. I've never known of a running back with knee issues who was under 6'0".

ph90702
10-27-2012, 02:46 PM
This was a gruesome injury, and a speed-robbing one, but I don't think it's a career ender. He's still got one year left, and I still think he's talented enough to at least carve a niche as a 3rd down back in the next level, speed or not.

I honestly thought he was a better running back then Trent Richardson before all of the injuries. And, it's not like Trent Richardson hasn't been injured either.

J52
10-27-2012, 02:48 PM
His other knee injury. In the space of two years he suffered serious, season ending injuries in both knees. He certainly could come back, he's a very hard and motivated worker, but one can't be surprised if he never recovers fully either. Its not that he would be completely incapable of playing, but that he wouldn't be able to play at near a high enough level to make it.

Frank Gore has three torn ACLs.

ph90702
10-27-2012, 02:48 PM

He's a fluke.

Vikes99ej
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't underestimate science and technology.

This injury is awful, but it's not quite Tyrone Prothro awful.

Wish the best for him, I was super pumped on him coming into SC.

yo123
10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
^^^

Willis McGahee is still playing reasonably well at an age that's considered old for an NFL RB. Counting out Lattimore at this point is stupid.

PossibleCabbage
10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
^^^

Willis McGahee is still playing reasonably well at an age that's considered old for an NFL RB. Counting out Lattimore at this point is stupid.

Willis McGahee was drafted high in an era where running backs were highly valued, and received every chance to prove he was worthy of his high draft status, and has lasted in the NFL because of what he proved in that chance afforded to him.

Will Lattimore receive the same opportunity? Certainly running backs are significantly less valued now than they were in 2003. So Lattimore is not going to go in the first round. If he ends up being picked in, say, the third round and he is slow in recovering from his injury, do you think a team is going to wait around for him? If he gets cut after a couple of NFL season because he hasn't shown anything yet, do you think teams are going to line up to give him more opportunities?

sbh15
10-27-2012, 04:34 PM
whether or not Lattimore receives the same opportunity as McGahee is irrelevant. the fact is that we know nothing about his rehabilitation right now and won't until he is ready to play. if he recovers fully, it is going to show in practices and games and he'll get his chance.

phlysac
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM
^^^

Making any assumptions on a timetable for recovery and/or future NFL prospectus "at this point is stupid."

Not a single one of us knows anything about what was damaged structurally, whether there was nerve damage, circulatory damage, etc. We know nothing about musculature or any fears of degeneration.

McGahee came back from his horrendus injury, Bo Jackson didn't come back from his invisible one. Simply stated, we don't know.

Prayers for a quick and full recovery.

derza222
10-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Sucks for Lattimore, just terrible luck. Not sure he was completely over his prior knee injury yet either. Will be interesting to see whether he enters the draft or comes back. It's unclear how early he could return next year, so he may be best off just going pro. I'm sure some team will roll the dice in the mid rounds.

Who's the top back in the draft now? He pretty much had a stranglehold on that spot. I'm a big Gio Bernard fan personally but not sure what consensus on him is at this point.

yo123
10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Making any assumptions on a timetable for recovery and/or future NFL prospectus "at this point is stupid."

Not a single one of us knows anything about what was damaged structurally, whether there was nerve damage, circulatory damage, etc. We know nothing about musculature or any fears of degeneration.

McGahee came back from his horrendus injury, Bo Jackson didn't come back from his invisible one. Simply stated, we don't know.

Prayers for a quick and full recovery.

You're completely right. We always get a whole bunch of doctors coming out of the woodwork in these kinds of situations acting like they have a clue how it's going to turn out but in reality no one does.

Ghost of Juice
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
He has been one of my favorite players since his freshman yeah when he ran through Georgia. I cant even eat anything after hearing about this and then seeing it, it just makes me sick. I am gonna hope and pray that he can make it back.

Don Vito
10-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Things like this makes you realize that sometimes life just isn't fair. That is just a terrible injury. You don't want to see this happen to anyone, but he came back from that ACL and looked pretty good but I don't know if it is possible to come back from an injury like this. Lattimore is a guy who had a ton of talent and a legendary work ethic, one of the more respected players in the game. Great player, not flashy or a punk just got the job done. Sad to see this happen to anyone but especially him.

San Diego Chicken
10-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not ready to stick a fork in him yet. He's not the type of running back that is going to beat you with great speed or change of direction. He relies more on his intelligence, vision, and toughness to squeeze out yards. Frank Gore's actually a good on field comparison for him. I would still take a chance on the guy with a day 3 pick. Hope he can recover and still have an NFL career.

FUNBUNCHER
10-27-2012, 07:19 PM

This.

No one remembers how injuries totally robbed Gore of his career at the U.
If Lattimore doesn't play ball for a year, maybe he gets drafted late in 2014 draft. He may never be a great speed back(he wasn't anyway), but he still should have a chance to play football again.

I still need to wait and see how severe the knee injury was from doctors, but like others have said Lattimore is a young man. WHo knows where he's going to be in 12-16 months??

This isn't like in the 1960s when an ACL injury was career ending. Modern orthopedic medicine is going to have Lattimore on an NFL roster in 2014.

Don Vito
10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
That wasn't just an ACL injury today. I mean he might have torn it but that leg pretty much snapped

PossibleCabbage
10-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Saw this retweeted by a bunch of football media:

https://twitter.com/BrianVanOchten/status/262369517760548864

The news on South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore is awful: Broken femur and all four knee ligaments torn. Such a shame.

So yeah, it's as bad as initially feared.

TitanHope
10-27-2012, 09:33 PM
The femur is strongest bone in your body, too.

Docta
10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Not official yet.

Anyone know how many ligaments Culpepper tore?

EDIT: Might even have a broken patella, also. Ugh.

yo123
10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Man breaking your femur is no good. EJ Henderson broke his a few years back when he was a solid LB and now he can't find a team.

BeerBaron
10-27-2012, 10:23 PM
If the femur is broken, he very well may be done. That almost certainly will require surgery to put in screws and rods...yuck. I had to have a metal rod put in my femur when I was younger and I just never regained the muscle mass on that leg.

And for him, having it happen right above his knee with all the ligaments being torn too...not good. I hope he took his classes seriously.

ph90702
10-27-2012, 10:30 PM
If the femur is broken, he very well may be done. That almost certainly will require surgery to put in screws and rods...yuck. I had to have a metal rod put in my femur when I was younger and I just never regained the muscle mass on that leg.

And for him, having it happen right above his knee with all the ligaments being torn too...not good. I hope he took his classes seriously.

He seems like a bright kid. He'll do alright in life. I definitely think his career is over.

WCH
10-27-2012, 10:37 PM

If he's done, this injury might have cost him tens of millions of dollars. That's just so hard for me to wrap my head around.

BeerBaron
10-27-2012, 10:39 PM
If he's done, this injury might have cost him tens of millions of dollars. That's just so hard for me to wrap my head around.

Any college player projected to go high should get that insurance some players get in case of a career ending injury. I've heard of players getting it before.

phlysac
10-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I am unaware of anyone who has ever returned from a full knee tear, meaning all four major ligaments + patella.

The only knee I remember being hurt worse than this was Napolean McCallum's and his lower leg was nearly amputated.

Let's continue to pray for heroic orthopedic medicine and Lattimore's good health.

VUBlacknGold
10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
nice tackle there Tennessee...

yo123
10-27-2012, 10:55 PM
My god can we quit blaming the Tennessee kid? That kind of tackle happens in every single game, this one happened to end badly. Guys like Lattimore aren't going down if you tackle him high, it's not his fault and he obviously didn't mean for this to happen.

TitanHope
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
You really can't blame the Tennessee defense, mostly because Tennessee doesn't have a defense to blame.

OzTitan
10-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Why would anyone want to be a running back. Really. Every year or two it seems some promising RB prospect suffers a huge set back due to injury. The league is in a seemingly irreversible devaluation of the position. Even if the position evolves and regains a bit more importance, it seems to be inevitably towards by-committee anyway, and with high turnover, so still less than ideal for the individuals playing it.

I'm not overly familiar with the process involved in molding yourself for a position and how early you have to start this, but I'd be trying everything in my power to be anything but a RB if I could help it.

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Why would anyone want to be a running back. Really. Every year or two it seems some promising RB prospect suffers a huge set back due to injury. The league is in a seemingly irreversible devaluation of the position. Even if the position evolves and regains a bit more importance, it seems to be inevitably towards by-committee anyway, and with high turnover, so still less than ideal for the individuals playing it.

I think the reason is that NFL players come from college, college players come from high school, and high school players come from various youth football leagues. The further you get from the top, the more difficult it is to run various passing schemes that have resulted in the progressive obsolescence of the RB at the highest levels of the game. I mean, the Packers didn't have the Aaron Rodgers we see now within 3 years of drafting him, so what's your Jr. High football team supposed to do on offense when they've only got guys for 2 years?

So you see peewee teams run the ball a lot, junior high run the ball a lot, junior varsity teams run the ball a lot, and the varsity squad runs the ball a lot. So from the first day you strap on the football gear, the running back is a pretty darn important part of your offense, so RB1 can be a bit of a BMOC.

It's just that when you get to the higher echelons of the sport, being a running back is less and less rewarding as teams get better at passing and defenses just hit harder.

villagewarrior
10-28-2012, 01:03 AM
I am unaware of anyone who has ever returned from a full knee tear, meaning all four major ligaments + patella.

The only knee I remember being hurt worse than this was Napolean McCallum's and his lower leg was nearly amputated.

Let's continue to pray for heroic orthopedic medicine and Lattimore's good health.

When I saw the injury I was hoping it wouldn't jeopardize his leg. First thing I thought of was that Patriots running back who got hurt in Hawaii - Robert Edwards, I think.

BeerBaron
10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
I think the reason is that NFL players come from college, college players come from high school, and high school players come from various youth football leagues. The further you get from the top, the more difficult it is to run various passing schemes that have resulted in the progressive obsolescence of the RB at the highest levels of the game. I mean, the Packers didn't have the Aaron Rodgers we see now within 3 years of drafting him, so what's your Jr. High football team supposed to do on offense when they've only got guys for 2 years?

So you see peewee teams run the ball a lot, junior high run the ball a lot, junior varsity teams run the ball a lot, and the varsity squad runs the ball a lot. So from the first day you strap on the football gear, the running back is a pretty darn important part of your offense, so RB1 can be a bit of a BMOC.

It's just that when you get to the higher echelons of the sport, being a running back is less and less rewarding as teams get better at passing and defenses just hit harder.

Well, at most lower level high school programs (the ones who still run the ball that much) most players still play both ways. If you're playing, say, RB and S, I'd much prefer to try and get recruited as a safety.

brat316
10-28-2012, 01:36 AM
can't blame the guy for going low, go high get your bell run and his, and end up with fine.

FuzzyGopher
10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Not sure how credible this site is, but holy **** if their report is accurate. According to the link: Broken Femur, Torn ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL and broken Patella.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/10/report-marcus-lattimore-broke-femur-patella-tore-acl-mcl-pcl-lcl-in-knee.html

descendency
10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Not sure how credible this site is, but holy **** if their report is accurate. According to the link: Broken Femur, Torn ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL and broken Patella.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/10/report-marcus-lattimore-broke-femur-patella-tore-acl-mcl-pcl-lcl-in-knee.html

Someone I know studying physical therapy basically guessed that after seeing the replay... so I have a feeling it's probably very accurate.

Brent
10-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I want to watch the video, but part of me is forbidding myself from doing so.

Trogdor
10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

It's bad but IMHO no where near as jarring as McGahee's. Injury is probaly much worse. Have to feel for Lattimore. Strong feeling he'll be playing again after a long recovery.

y.f.s.
10-28-2012, 11:02 AM

The look of terror and shock on his face when lying on the ground was worse than seeing the play happen live.

It's not really the hit IMO, it's seeing his leg flop around after the hit.

ChiFan24
10-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying his career is over because apparently that pisses people off......but I sure as hell wouldn't draft him.

VUBlacknGold
10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
My god can we quit blaming the Tennessee kid? That kind of tackle happens in every single game, this one happened to end badly. Guys like Lattimore aren't going down if you tackle him high, it's not his fault and he obviously didn't mean for this to happen.

yall might say its a clean tackle, to me, this is just too low of a tackle. But thats just how i feel and imma leave it at that.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/903/dange.png

ncst8fan83
10-28-2012, 01:25 PM

While I don't think you can really BLAME the UT defenders, I do think that high/low combo tackle is quite dangerous. If the O-line can't do it to the D-line, why do they let defenders do that to ball carriers? Seems to be a symptom of lazy tackling technique.

CashmoneyDrew
10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
It wasn't lazy, and it wasn't dirty. Geez, some of you guys...

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody feels worse about Lattimore's injury (including Lattimore himself) than the guy who hurt him.

Things on the football field happen fast, you don't have time to decide "I'm going to dive at his knees, maybe knock him out of the game" (or not to do that.)

Also, holy h-scroll. You want to crop that image VUBlacknGold?

VUBlacknGold
10-28-2012, 01:51 PM
It wasn't lazy, and it wasn't dirty. Geez, some of you guys...

Never said it was dirty, just implied i dont like those tackles at all.

Cigaro
10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Spurrier reporting that he dislocated his knee and the injury is not career-ending.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8564561/marcus-lattimore-dislocated-knee-saturday-south-carolina-gamecocks-coach-steve-spurrier-says

villagewarrior
10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Spurrier reporting that he dislocated his knee and the injury is not career-ending.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8564561/marcus-lattimore-dislocated-knee-saturday-south-carolina-gamecocks-coach-steve-spurrier-says

That's good news then. The injury looked much much worse than that.

ryno626
10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I've always wondered who pays the medical bills for injuries in college. Does the university pay for surgery/rehab/PT or does it come out of the pocket of the player?

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 03:16 PM

It's key to say that Spurier said "dislocation" not "only a dislocation". Generally you tear something when you dislocate any part of your knee.

But it's good that the outlook is not though to be career ending at this point. Modern medicine is really quite amazing at fixing this sort of thing compared to even 20 years ago.

TitanHope
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I've always wondered who pays the medical bills for injuries in college. Does the university pay for surgery/rehab/PT or does it come out of the pocket of the player?

It would be provided by the university, considering the injury took place during a game.

Great news about Lattimore.

Don Vito
10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Consider me kind of lost but what is the good news? I thought he broke his femur and tore every ligament in his knee or was that incorrect? I would love to see him find a way back but I've never seen an injury like that. First things first I hope he recovers and is able to live normally, if he could come back and maybe play again that would just be awesome.

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 03:35 PM
It would be provided by the university, considering the injury took place during a game.

Great news about Lattimore.

The university and/or the insurance company (assuming the player has insurance). In a case where a player has medical insurance, the university covers whatever the insurance will not.

FUNBUNCHER
10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
If the early reports are true, Lattimore may have difficulty walking and running again, forget football.

Repairing ligaments is one thing. Fixing broken bones along with shredded ligaments AND a broken patella is worse than a nightmare scenario.

Does anyone remember the specifics of McGahee's injury???

Taber21
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I can't remember exactly, but I do believe he tore 3 of the ligaments.

Cigaro
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Consider me kind of lost but what is the good news? I thought he broke his femur and tore every ligament in his knee or was that incorrect? I would love to see him find a way back but I've never seen an injury like that. First things first I hope he recovers and is able to live normally, if he could come back and maybe play again that would just be awesome.

That was something that has been circulating Twitter since before Spurrier's announcement. Like someone said, dislocated knees usually also mean torn ligaments(but not always), so that part may be true, but nothing was mentioned about the femur, so that part may not be.

The good news is that the injury is not projected to be career ending.

If the early reports are true, Lattimore may have difficulty walking and running again, forget football.

Repairing ligaments is one thing. Fixing broken bones along with shredded ligaments AND a broken patella is worse than a nightmare scenario.

Does anyone remember the specifics of McGahee's injury???

Like I stated, Spurrier's statement did not indicate that his kneecap or femur were broken. That could end up being the case, but Spurrier did not mention it.

McGahee tore his ACL, MCL and PCL, so they could end up being pretty similar injuries. Like McGahee, the doctors are indicating he will need a full year or more to recover.

Matthew Jones
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Am I just crazy or are knee injuries not nearly as severe as their reputation?

When Tom Brady tore his ACL and MCL, there were rumors that he would miss the following season as well; he was back for week one. Wes Welker tore his ACL and MCL in Week 17 and was back on the field for week one of the following season. Logan Mankins played through last season with a torn ACL, and Philip Rivers played in the AFC Championship Game with a torn ACL and recovered by the start of next season. Adrian Peterson was supposed to be on the PUP list, and Rashard Mendenhall was supposed to miss the season. Frank Gore has torn two or three ACLs.

Sure, tearing an ACL is a season-ending injury, but it's not nearly as devastating as its perception; torn ligaments are becoming more common and the recovery times keep getting shorter. At this point it's a surprise if anyone misses more than eight months, and tearing an ACL doesn't seem to increase anyone's likelihood of reinjury. These aren't career-threatening injuries anymore, and I'm expecting Lattimore to return to action sooner than people are speculating.

Cigaro
10-28-2012, 04:05 PM

When Tom Brady tore his ACL and MCL, there were rumors that he would miss the following season as well; he was back for week one. Wes Welker tore his ACL and MCL in Week 17 and was back on the field for week one of the following season. Logan Mankins played through last season with a torn ACL, and Philip Rivers played in the AFC Championship Game with a torn ACL and recovered by the start of next season. Adrian Peterson was supposed to be on the PUP list, and Rashard Mendenhall was supposed to miss the season. Frank Gore has torn two or three ACLs.

Sure, tearing an ACL is a season-ending injury, but it's not nearly as devastating as its perception; torn ligaments are becoming more common and the recovery times keep getting shorter. At this point it's a surprise if anyone misses more than eight months, and tearing an ACL doesn't seem to increase anyone's likelihood of reinjury. These aren't career-threatening injuries anymore, and I'm expecting Lattimore to return to action sooner than people are speculating.

Perhaps, the initial prognosis is he will not be able to play until 2014.

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Well, it's not exactly a "nightmare scenario" since it's all theoretically fixable, it's just that if the initial report is correct (dislocation + 4 ligament tears + broken femur) the treatment will require multiple surgeries (surgically fix one thing, let it heal, surgically fix another thing, let it heal, additional surgeries as needed, etc.). So he's potentially a ways away from even being able to rehab it.

McGahee's injury was an MCL, ACL, PCL combo, so Lattimore's knee is almost certainly fixable. The fibia fracture is more worrisome (if true), recall Alabama WR Tyrone Prothro a few years back had a complete tib/fib fracture (and those bones are much easier to break than your femur), plus various knee injuries and he never recovered to a point where he was able to play football again let alone walk normally (which is a shame since he was pretty good.)

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM

A torn ACL plus MCL isn't that much worse than a torn ACL. Generally the procedure is to allow the MCL to heal on its own (it does that in a few weeks if you go easy on it, much like a sprained ankle) and then surgically repair the ACL once the MCL is sufficiently healthy. This is pretty common as many ACL tears occur after the MCL is first torn, and the resulting loss of stability puts the ACL at risk for injury.

The whole other kettle of fish is when you have more than just those two though, which was McGahee's problem (he tore an ACL, MCL, and PCL). We have gotten very good at treating ACL injuries, but treatment for PCL injuries is significantly less advanced. The surgery to repair the posterior cruciate ligament is very difficult due to where it's located (it's behind the ACL), and IIRC grafts to PCL tears tend to "wear out" with use requiring future surgery.

descendency
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I think the 2014 talk was based on a torn ACL, MCL, PCL, and LCL with 2 broken bones (Femur and Patella)

The recovery time for that would be a minimum of 12-18 months, as it would require a ton of surgery and a ton of physical therapy.

Shane P. Hallam
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I think the 2014 talk was based on a torn ACL, MCL, PCL, and LCL with 2 broken bones (Femur and Patella)

The recovery time for that would be a minimum of 12-18 months, as it would require a ton of surgery and a ton of physical therapy.

The 2014 talk came from Steve Spurrier's mouth.

Cigaro
10-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Ligament damage but no fractures or other damage is the official report. I know some of you ignored it when I said Spurrier gave no indication that there were broken bones, but that turns out to be the case, so his injury seems to mirror McGahee's.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102812aac.html

PossibleCabbage
10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
That's fantastic if he didn't break any bones. But if it's more than an ACL and an MCL, his availability for next season is likely in doubt.

Cigaro
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
That's fantastic if he didn't break any bones. But if it's more than an ACL and an MCL, his availability for next season is likely in doubt.

Correct, Spurrier indicated he wouldn't be able to play until 2014. Like I said, his injury seems to mirror McGahee's, and he was forced to sit out a year as well. We can only hope he can make a similar quality recovery.

FUNBUNCHER
10-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Lattimore should just rehab all of 2013 and get ready for the 2014 draft.
If I were him, Saturday would have been my last collegiate carry for the Gamecocks.

bigbuc
10-29-2012, 01:03 AM
I would leave school as well. Could he be a 3rd to 5th rounder in 2013? Willis went late one and is still having a great career? I think Lat will come back from this.

Matthew Jones
10-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I would leave school as well. Could he be a 3rd to 5th rounder in 2013? Willis went late one and is still having a great career? I think Lat will come back from this.

I think so. I was looking through some statistics regarding running backs, and fourth/fifth-round picks have only a slight chance and lasting five or more seasons in the league (about 11%.) We've already seen Lattimore produce like a starting running back, so I'd be more willing to take a chance on him recovering than one of the less talented players relegated to that draft range by talent rather than circumstance. If Lattimore fails to sustain his NFL career beyond that point, he'll be lumped in with the other 89% of running backs whose careers were similarly brief.

The mid-to-late rounds of the draft are a good time to capitalize on some low-cost prospects with upside; Lamar Miller signed for four years and $2.58 million last season as the second pick of the fourth round. Obviously Lattimore's medical evaluations where teams feel comfortable drafting him (if at all), but typically finding even a rotational player in the fourth or fifth round is considered a success.

dannyz
10-29-2012, 02:10 AM
I would take a shot on him in 4th or 5th Round. Most guys taken in that range have an average Career for about 5 years and if Lattimore comes back like McGahee and have a long productive career then it was a complete steal. I could see a team that won't need a RB for a year or so take him and let him recover then play him in 2014. I just Pray he can make it into the NFL and have a Good Career.

soybean
10-29-2012, 04:05 AM
I don't know if ineligible Juniors were able to take insurance policies out but Andrew Luck took out a multi million dollar injury insurance last year when he decided to come back.

Hopefully if eligible Lattimore and his family were smart enough to secure that before the season.

LonghornsLegend
10-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Your overreacting, which isn't surprising, because the injury just happened. But I think we are all underrating rehab at this point. First of all, Chad Jones is about to make a comeback to football, and have we forgotten how bad that was? Lattimore isn't going to have trouble walking or playing football at some point, come on man, that's a huge overstatement.

It's going to be an extremely long process and ruin his draft stock, but the fact that it was a sickening injury doesn't mean that any of the overreactions are true in this thread.

PossibleCabbage
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I think that if you're rehabbing a serious injury, you should always stay in school. Not only will you continue to get medical care on the dime of the university, but you can also spend that time going to class and getting your degree which you might appreciate having in case your serious injury does end up cutting short your football career.

MassNole
10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
This should teach a 5* to ever play for Spurrier. There is a fine line between winning games as a college coach and preparing your players for the NFL, Spurrier has no idea where that line even begins.

PossibleCabbage
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
This should teach a 5* to ever play for Spurrier. There is a fine line between winning games as a college coach and preparing your players for the NFL, Spurrier has no idea where that line even begins.

Do other coaches somehow prevent their running backs from getting hit in the knees? I'm not sure how you would do that short of "don't use your running backs" (in which case other people might get injured, but the RBs would be safe.)

CashmoneyDrew
10-29-2012, 03:04 PM

What the bloody hell are you even talking about at this point?

dannyz
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Your overreacting, which isn't surprising, because the injury just happened. But I think we are all underrating rehab at this point. First of all, Chad Jones is about to make a comeback to football, and have we forgotten how bad that was? Lattimore isn't going to have trouble walking or playing football at some point, come on man, that's a huge overstatement.

It's going to be an extremely long process and ruin his draft stock, but the fact that it was a sickening injury doesn't mean that any of the overreactions are true in this thread.

I agree the rehab process is going to take a long time but in today's time with Science and Medicine I think he can come back from this. Look at AP, I know his injury was not as bad but people said there was no way he starts the season on time but he did and is playing great. If this injury happened 20 years ago his career would be over for sure but in today's time I think he can come back.

Caulibflower
10-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Think even if you take away some of his explosiveness you're still talking about a prospect who physically profiles along the lines of LeGarrett Blount - certainly going to be worthy of a roster spot and regular touches on offense, but might be more of a complimentary player. Then again, Blount's always been a head case and Lattimore would probably be better-liked by his coaches.

But Willis McGahee is probably a good comparison. Physically similar, similarly catastrophic injuries, similarly long projected recovery period. Does McGahee get drafted in the first round today? I'd say not, but he's still been a good player and I think that's still a possibility for Lattimore unless his injury turns out to be such that playing football again is out of the question. Lattimore is a big back, and while losing speed always hurts, it doesn't tank his stock the way it would if speed was his biggest attribute, which it never was. So I agree with those who say they'd be fine taking him in the 4th-5th rounds hoping for a recovery, but I'm also reaaaally leery of running backs with knee injuries. If there's one injury to one position that kills a players stock for me like no other, it's running backs tearing apart their knees. No other position is required to plant and cut with such force.

Robcards
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
If McGahee still got drafted in the first round with the Bills knowing full well he likely wouldn't play that season, I think Lattimore still gets taken if not the first round, the second. There are plenty of teams willing to take chances on a potential pro-bowler. As a Jets fan, if we have a mid-1st or even if we are early and trade back and take Lattimore, I'd be happy with the risk. How many 1st round RBs get injured or bust with a healthy collegiate record?

Guys like Lattimore are very rare and well worth the risk, if he decides to enter the draft I'd be absolutely shocked if he is still there in the third round. If he didn't get injured last year or this year there'd be serious debate about him getting taken with the #1 overall pick (considering how the QBs in the class have been lackluster at best).

Robcards
10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Think even if you take away some of his explosiveness you're still talking about a prospect who physically profiles along the lines of LeGarrett Blount - certainly going to be worthy of a roster spot and regular touches on offense, but might be more of a complimentary player. Then again, Blount's always been a head case and Lattimore would probably be better-liked by his coaches.

Way better than Blount considering his hands and pass blocking ability. He'd likely grade out as a better 3rd down back than most of the backs in the league right now.

Caulibflower
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Way better than Blount considering his hands and pass blocking ability. He'd likely grade out as a better 3rd down back than most of the backs in the league right now.

And that's basically what I'm saying. I'm saying Blount's had some really nice moments as a big, physical runner who probably runs like a 4.7-flat 40. So even if Lattimore loses a significant amount of speed, he was such a well-rounded prospect to begin with that there's plenty of skills left to value him in those middle rounds.

Caulibflower
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
If McGahee still got drafted in the first round with the Bills knowing full well he likely wouldn't play that season, I think Lattimore still gets taken if not the first round, the second. There are plenty of teams willing to take chances on a potential pro-bowler. As a Jets fan, if we have a mid-1st or even if we are early and trade back and take Lattimore, I'd be happy with the risk. How many 1st round RBs get injured or bust with a healthy collegiate record?

Guys like Lattimore are very rare and well worth the risk, if he decides to enter the draft I'd be absolutely shocked if he is still there in the third round. If he didn't get injured last year or this year there'd be serious debate about him getting taken with the #1 overall pick (considering how the QBs in the class have been lackluster at best).

I think it's really going to depend on what the doctors say, but if they start saying he should recover, and there won't be ongoing complications (severe structural damage, etc), I do think 2nd round is a possibility, but it's just a matter of waiting to see at this point. Best-case scenario would be that the doctor's think they can fix him, general perception is that he'll get better, and some team likes his skillset and takes him in the second. There's just no way to say yet, and with an injury like that you're got to be patient.

y.f.s.
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Sounding like he's going to redshirt and then play a 5th year at Sakerlina.

PossibleCabbage
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Sounding like he's going to redshirt and then play a 5th year at Sakerlina.

At a guess, this is exactly what NFL front offices would prefer he do.

keylime_5
10-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Not criticizing the guy for this, but the guy is probably throwing two years worth of NFL paychecks in the trash by staying an extra two years. The gamble is that he would make more by having a healthy senior year and putting up big numbers to get drafted in round one and recoup that money - but the chances of him being that good again are slim (he looked a step slow THIS year after ONE knee injury), and NFL people won't like a 23 year old runningback with 2 major knee injuries behind him as much as a 21 year old one. RBs have a small enough shelf life as it is. Lattimore probably profiles to having what? 5 good years in the NFL provided he can stay healthy? Just something to think about anyway.

WCH
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
At a guess, this is exactly what NFL front offices would prefer he do.

If I were a GM, I'd prefer that he enter the draft now, so I could hopefully pluck him late in the draft and have my own medical staff oversee his rehabilitation.

MassNole
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Each year he has sustained a season ending injury. Just what I want from my RB.

PossibleCabbage
10-29-2012, 07:47 PM
If I were a GM, I'd prefer that he enter the draft now, so I could hopefully pluck him late in the draft and have my own medical staff oversee his rehabilitation.

I would want to see if he can regain his speed and power and have a productive season with no serious injuries or setbacks before I spend a draft pick on him.

keylime_5
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM

yep, i meant to mention this in my post. exactly.

niel89
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd be really leery of using anything over a 5th on a guy who already has had major work done on both knees already. Will he ever have that explosion back to where it was? He will probably be able to play again, but I doubt he will be the same.

How did pre-injury McGahee & pre-injury Lattimore compare? In my mind McGahee was a step above at the U. McGahee has had a solid career, but he isn't close to what he could have been.

Waste of his time to stay at South Carolina. I wouldn't take another carry unless I'm getting paid to do so. Maybe he spends next season rehabbing and the enters after that?

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Allegedly Willis McGahee before the knee injury was the most physically gifted RB in the history of the Hurricanes program. 6 foot, 220# with @high 4.2-4.3 speed.

I think Lattimore can still be a good pro because speed wasn't his game anyway, but he really didn't have any speed to lose to begin with.

LonghornsLegend
10-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Allegedly Willis McGahee before the knee injury was the most physically gifted RB in the history of the Hurricanes program. 6 foot, 220# with @high 4.2-4.3 speed.

Not sure I buy this. He came in the same time as Clinton Portis and he didn't even really play until his Senior year. I believe him and Portis both came in as freshman and Portis locked the job up for the most part until he left after his junior season in 01, then McGahee got his shot in 02. Besides that, it's not like Portis was slow either.

It's not like I can prove it or anything, but physically it's not like he completely outclassed Portis pre-injury.

I would want to see if he can regain his speed and power and have a productive season with no serious injuries or setbacks before I spend a draft pick on him.

This. Why would you want a guy racking up more mileage in College? Just have him spend next year rehabbing completely with the best rehab procedures he can get.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2012, 10:09 AM
'Physically gifted' doesn't mean the most talented at a given position.
McGahee was the bigger/faster/stronger RB at the U., which is nice but it doesn't necessarily make someone the best player with full pads on.

Portis, Frank Gore and McGahee at one point were all on the same 'Canes squad, and all were listed as starters ahead of McGahee. He only started in 2002 because Gore got hurt, and then went on to compile the greatest single rushing season in 'Canes history.

Anyway the point I was making is that a guy who runs a 4.2/4.3 can shred his knee and still come back and have a productive NFL career because he has speed to lose.

jrdrylie
10-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Not sure I buy this. He came in the same time as Clinton Portis and he didn't even really play until his Senior year. I believe him and Portis both came in as freshman and Portis locked the job up for the most part until he left after his junior season in 01, then McGahee got his shot in 02. Besides that, it's not like Portis was slow either.

You are completely wrong about all of this. Portis went to Miami in 1999. McGahee went to Miami in 2000. McGahee redshirted his freshman year so he was only a backup for one season. Portis left after the 2001 season (McGahee's freshman year). McGahee then took over as a starter and ran for 1753 yards and 28 TDs. He got injured and went pro after his sophomore season, not senior year.

MassNole
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/54337/marcus-lattimore-says-hell-be-back

PossibleCabbage
10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
This. Why would you want a guy racking up more mileage in College? Just have him spend next year rehabbing completely with the best rehab procedures he can get.

I'd rather have a guy rack up more mileage in college (he has 629 touches so far, which isn't ridiculous, Ray Rice had 940 when he came out) than spend a draft pick on someone who can't play because his knees are bad.

If I'm drafting a running back, it's not like I plan on keeping that guy on my team for more than 2 contracts.

LonghornsLegend
10-30-2012, 12:33 PM
You are completely wrong about all of this. Portis went to Miami in 1999. McGahee went to Miami in 2000. McGahee redshirted his freshman year so he was only a backup for one season. Portis left after the 2001 season (McGahee's freshman year). McGahee then took over as a starter and ran for 1753 yards and 28 TDs. He got injured and went pro after his sophomore season, not senior year.

I wasn't sure of the exact timeline of events and how they went down, and didn't want to give off the impression I knew the order of how it happened, I was going roughly off the top of my head. None the less, I was still speaking more so in regards that I don't believe McGahee was head and shoulders a better athlete then Clinton Portis.

Hurricanes25
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Frank Gore was the best Miami RB during that time. He had 9.3 ypc as a backup during his freshman year. Then in 2002, he actually beat out McGahee for the starting job but then tore his ACL. McGahee would go on to have a great season but tore up his knee in the title game that year.

Babylon
10-30-2012, 12:48 PM
If i'm Marcus, and NFL scouts for that matter, i'm probably more concerned he can walk without a limp before wasting a lot of time on researching him.

LonghornsLegend
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Frank Gore was the best Miami RB during that time. He had 9.3 ypc as a backup during his freshman year. Then in 2002, he actually beat out McGahee for the starting job but then tore his ACL. McGahee would go on to have a great season but tore up his knee in the title game that year.

Still pretty ridiculous they were all 3 on the same team at one point. It's always fun to look back at the 01 Miami roster just to be in amazement.

draftguru151
10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
McGahee was definitely a better athlete than Portis and an absolutely ridiculous athlete overall. The acceleration he had was incredible for anyone, to have it at his size was just ridiculous. It's scary how good him, Gore and Tyrone Moss would have been without all the knee injuries.

Saints-Tigers
10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I was never as big on McGahee as a lot of people were, even pre-injury, I don't think he lost as much speed as people want to believe, I think they just overrated him to begin with.

Ghost of Juice
10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
If he was on an NFL team instead of at South Carolina wouldn't he get better medical and rehab treatment? I'm not sure if thats the case but I always assumed it was, so if i were him I might consider leaving for the NFL just because I would be getting the best treatment possible.

PossibleCabbage
10-31-2012, 06:54 PM
If he was on an NFL team instead of at South Carolina wouldn't he get better medical and rehab treatment? I'm not sure if thats the case but I always assumed it was, so if i were him I might consider leaving for the NFL just because I would be getting the best treatment possible.

Hopefully, he should be done with surgery before April and an NFL team doesn't need to sign him until July or so anyway. The difference in physical therapy he would receive from the NFL and an SEC school shouldn't be significant (especially since he's rehabbed a major knee injury before.)

LonghornsLegend
11-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Hopefully, he should be done with surgery before April and an NFL team doesn't need to sign him until July or so anyway. The difference in physical therapy he would receive from the NFL and an SEC school shouldn't be significant (especially since he's rehabbed a major knee injury before.)

I'm sure they would prefer to monitor it. I'd rather him rehab all next year, monitor him, and get him away from physical pounding. Going back to school IMO would only result in him rehabbing a majority of next season, then rushing back too soon to show people he's "back". I don't see the point in going back to school for 2 more years either, someone will pick him up in the mid rounds either way.

soybean
11-11-2012, 01:35 AM
stand up guy.

DQATZQZIE1s

Cigaro
11-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Local Columbia news sources are beginning to report that Lattimore will declare for the draft. Certainly nothing definitive yet, but up until now all reports indicated a stay at Carolina.

dannyz
11-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Local Columbia news sources are beginning to report that Lattimore will declare for the draft. Certainly nothing definitive yet, but up until now all reports indicated a stay at Carolina.

I am seeing sites saying he will Declare. I think it would be best because why go back and risk another injury? I think getting rehab from an NFL Team would be better than at College.

Miaoww
11-28-2012, 07:48 PM

I don't see it. He had clearly lost something after his first knee injury (this coming from a guy that thought he was All-World). After a devastating second injury who knows what he has left?

I'd take a flyer on him in the 5th. Nothing more.

Cigaro
11-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking third round. Too many concerns for the first two, but someone will take a risk in the third.

CashmoneyDrew
11-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I could see a good team with a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd snatching him up. Especially if they already have a good runningback situation. Seems like a Patriot-type of move waiting to happen.

niel89
11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't see it. He had clearly lost something after his first knee injury (this coming from a guy that thought he was All-World). After a devastating second injury who knows what he has left?

I'd take a flyer on him in the 5th. Nothing more.

I agree that he is probably a guy I let some other team reach and take a risk on, but he clearly wasn't fully healthy this year. His injuries are a huge risk, but if he wouldn't have hurried back so quickly I bet he wouldn't have looked as bad this year.

nobodyinparticular
11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Michael Bush was taken at the beginning of the 4th round after a devastating leg injury. This was a bone and not knee ligaments--and this was after a standout junior season that had Bush looking like a top 10 pick. If Lattimore has to miss an entire season, I don't see him getting picked until 3rd round at best.

Even with that said, I think it's probably a better choice to declare now than wait it out when a running back's best quality is his youth.

bigbuc
11-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Late 3rd. 49ers would be a great place for him.... No rush. But Gore is almost 30

LonghornsLegend
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
A 1st round pick is crazy and isn't happening, but mid rounder for sure. A team is going to exercise patience and caution with him his entire rookie year and he probably won't take a hit next year at all. By 2014 with plenty of rehab and not rushing him he can still be a very good back. Sure, he may not be all world talent anymore, but what is his floor? Shonn Greene? Just because he's not an elite prospect anymore doesn't mean he won't get any interest.

PossibleCabbage
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd take him at the bottom of the third, or top of the fourth (depending on where I pick.)

Scott Wright
11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
I've heard the rumblings that Lattimore could still go pro too...

Obviously not a doctor and medical checks will play a HUGE role in his stock, but I would probably say Rounds 3-5 for Lattimore if he does indeed come out this year. Keep in mind there seems to be a pretty good chance the guy won't even be able to play at all next season.

farfromforgotten
12-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I've heard the rumblings that Lattimore could still go pro too...

Obviously not a doctor and medical checks will play a HUGE role in his stock, but I would probably say Rounds 3-5 for Lattimore if he does indeed come out this year. Keep in mind there seems to be a pretty good chance the guy won't even be able to play at all next season.

Time to bump this. He's entering the draft... according to sources. Will definitely be one of the top story lines of the draft.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
These mid round picks seem crazy to me. I'd spend a 6th, no higher.

It'd be different if he was a QB or something, but he isn't

Shane P. Hallam
12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
The question becomes:

How good of a prospect is he to take this risk?

Willis McGahee was a special talent, had his knee torn apart and went in the 1st round.

Frank Gore was a pretty darn good prospect but had numerous injuries, went in the high 3rd round.

Is there any doubt that a team like the Packers, Texans, Steelers, Broncos, etc could take a midround shot? I think it is likely they could.

ImBrotherCain
12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
The question becomes:

Willis McGahee was a special talent, had his knee torn apart and went in the 1st round.

Frank Gore was a pretty darn good prospect but had numerous injuries, went in the high 3rd round.

Is there any doubt that a team like the Packers, Texans, Steelers, Broncos, etc could take a midround shot? I think it is likely they could.

I would love for the Packers to take him with a midround pick but as I was driving into work this morning listening to the radio I started thinking about how crazy good Lattimore could be behind the line the Steelers are trying to build.

Shane P. Hallam
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I would love for the Packers to take him with a midround pick but as I was driving into work this morning listening to the radio I started thinking about how crazy good Lattimore could be behind the line the Steelers are trying to build.

I'd be all for it, but I think the Steelers would go in a different RB direction due to:

1. RB being a very immediate need

2. The Super Bowl window is closing for this team hard with the punishment Ben has been taking and his age

descendency
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Could the injury actually be beneficial? I don't really know what causes a running back to break down later in their career, but if he isn't playing football for a year or two, it might mean he has a longer career?

Also, if I were a team like the Packers, I would draft him and store him on IR a season or two. He was a top 15 talent before the injury.

ImBrotherCain
12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd be all for it, but I think the Steelers would go in a different RB direction due to:

1. RB being a very immediate need

2. The Super Bowl window is closing for this team hard with the punishment Ben has been taking and his age

I was just thinking it because they were talking about about if Dywer can be the guy in Pitt and I just immediately thought of Lattimore seeing as they have a similar run style but obviously Lattimore is the better prospect and with Mendenhall surely being gone it would make sense... in a vacuum of course.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
The question becomes:

The McGahee thing was a fluke. Great job by his agent.

Lattimore clearly wasn't the same player after the first injury. I had him as a 2nd-3rd rounder BEFORE the second injury. Now? Why even bother when there will be guys just as good as him (what he is now) available that are healthy?

Babylon
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Lattimore clearly wasn't the same player after the first injury. I had him as a 2nd-3rd rounder BEFORE the second injury. Now? Why even bother when there will be guys just as good as him (what he is now) available that are healthy?

That's kind of where i'm at. I wish the kid all the luck in the world in his comback but i can't see a team spending anything higher than a 5th or at least the cutoff point where you can still get good NFL starters.

Caulibflower
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM

That's kind of where i'm at. I wish the kid all the luck in the world in his comback but i can't see a team spending anything higher than a 5th or at least the cutoff point where you can still get good NFL starters.

This exactly where I'm at, too. This is Lattimore's other knee. I'd bring him into camp with a late-round pick, but running backs with bad knees scare me. Frank Gore is the exception to the rule.

rawdawg
12-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah, if I'm a really good team without many needs, I'm taking him in the late 5th (playoff team), possibly 4th if I'm really set at most positions. The Packers come to mind first. The Steelers and Patriots do also, but both teams have some age and free agents they will need to replace.

I don't think you hope to get the former top 15 guy back, but he could be a good part of a platoon backfield in a couple years.

Robcards
01-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Bumping for the guy who started the new thread.

brasho
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Considering where injured backs have went in the past (1st for McGahee, 3rd for Gore) and considering how devalued RBs are now, and that Lattimore isn't just injured, he was gruesomely injured and there's a very good shot he doesn't recover fully, and he isn't just injured, he's injury prone, I wouldn't be surprised if he's got the major medical red flags and he is either 6th round or possibly all the way to undrafted. Every year a pretty good prospect completely drops out of the draft due to medical issues (last year it was Chris Polk).

PossibleCabbage
01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
he's injury prone

I don't really think there's such a thing as "injury prone."

I mean, take every single player in the NFL, college, high school, pee-wee, or whatever, if they had a guy hit him in the side of the knee like Lattimore did last season, they would get their knee shredded. Knees simply aren't designed to take that sort of hit.

He might be unlucky but "prone to having your ACLs explode" isn't really a thing. Knee ligaments aren't designed to spontaneously tear, it takes an external force to make that happen.

Robcards
01-05-2013, 10:39 PM

I mean, take every single player in the NFL, college, high school, pee-wee, or whatever, if they had a guy hit him in the side of the knee like Lattimore did last season, they would get their knee shredded. Knees simply aren't designed to take that sort of hit.

He might be unlucky but "prone to having your ACLs explode" isn't really a thing. Knee ligaments aren't designed to spontaneously tear, it takes an external force to make that happen.

It's arguable that taller RBs (like McFadden, Lattimore, etc) are more 'prone' to those types of injuries though.

brasho
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Call it whatever you want. Two ACL tears in 3 seasons is not encouraging to scouts. Sometimes it has to do with running style, bad genes, anything really. Some guys go their whole careers without much in the way of major injuries (E. Smith, S. Jackson, E. Dickerson, W. Payton, etc) and then there are others that can never stay healthy.

brasho
01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
It's arguable that taller RBs (like McFadden, Lattimore, etc) are more 'prone' to those types of injuries though.

Yet Steven Jackson and Eric Dickerson never suffered a major leg injury. I think it just depends entirely on the individual.

lod01
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM

They are more likely to be injured. More area to hit. The more compact you are, the smaller the area that can get hit. When you are 5-9, 215, you are more solidly built and you can get smaller at the point of contact, than a guy that is 6-2, 215 like McFadden They have skinny legs and can't get down as low when the defenders come at them. The guys built like bowling balls are less likely to take big shots to their knees.

underscore
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Andy Staples ‏@Andy_Staples

Marcus Lattimore visited Senior Bowl practice today. Walking without a limp, said he's feeling good.

brat316
01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Yet Steven Jackson and Eric Dickerson never suffered a major leg injury. I think it just depends entirely on the individual.

yeah but it depends on the build of the person.

Those two are built like tree trunks.

Ghost of Juice
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah Eddie George never missed a game in his Titans career and he was really big. I think some of it is just bad luck. Maybe they should stop teaching players to tackle by diving at a players knee and instead wrap up and drive them to the ground.

JRTPlaya21
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Dr. James Andrews says his recovery is nothing short of miraculous. So here's to hoping that Marcus gets drafted and has a great career.

YoJoeBucsFan
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Dr. James Andrews says his recovery is nothing short of miraculous. So here's to hoping that Marcus gets drafted and has a great career.

You take a back like him in the 5th, 6th or 7th round and sit on him for a year.

Iamcanadian
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah Eddie George never missed a game in his Titans career and he was really big. I think some of it is just bad luck. Maybe they should stop teaching players to tackle by diving at a players knee and instead wrap up and drive them to the ground.

I tend to agree, sometimes, it is just bad luck but the fact remains that he has been seriously injureds twice and likely won't get drafted anywhere near the top half of the draft.

Cigaro
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Lattimore and his doctor have stated that his recovery is going to "shock the world" at the Combine. He's already ready to start running, beginning Monday.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21732247/nfl-combine-2013-marcus-lattimore-says-doctors-will-be-shocked

bitonti
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
in recent years we've seen:

-Adrian Peterson come back better from what would have been a career ending injury in the past.

-Peyton Manning go to Germany for treatments on his 4x surgically repaired neck.

-Ray Lewis play his 17th season at inside linebacker (and winning a super Bowl).

we are in a brave new world folks. With HGH, deer antlers and who know what else, can't bet against Lattimore or any other injured star player. in 2013, if a player has the money, he can recapture his health.

K Train
02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Lattimore and his doctor have stated that his recovery is going to "shock the world" at the Combine. He's already ready to start running, beginning Monday.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21732247/nfl-combine-2013-marcus-lattimore-says-doctors-will-be-shocked

everyone talks about how mcgahees agent was so wonderful at getting him drafted in the first, but this guys is doing work too

mightytitan9
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM

This is somewhat false. They've done studies and certain people are more likely to tear ACLs than others, it has to do with how the knee ligaments are. I forget exactly what it was, as it was several years ago I read the study but most people that tear ACLs more than once have their ACLs a different shape or bend or something. Of course, other people tear ACLs also, and It could be possible for someone to tear theirs twice without having the kind more susceptible to it

thebow305
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
everyone talks about how mcgahees agent was so wonderful at getting him drafted in the first, but this guys is doing work too

You're right about this. Although I'd have to agree that he will make an impact in 2013. He may even slip into the 2nd round. The talent is definitely there so as long as he checks out medically, there's no reason not to take a chance if the need is there.

FUNBUNCHER
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM

-Adrian Peterson come back better from what would have been a career ending injury in the past.

-Peyton Manning go to Germany for treatments on his 4x surgically repaired neck.

-Ray Lewis play his 17th season at inside linebacker (and winning a super Bowl).

we are in a brave new world folks. With HGH, deer antlers and who know what else, can't bet against Lattimore or any other injured star player. in 2013, if a player has the money, he can recapture his health.

+1.

If Lattimore runs at the combine and posts a time better than 4.65, I'm going to be highly skeptical of what methods he used to rehab from his injury.

I understand why someone would pursue pharmaceutical options to prepare themselves for the NFL and come back from a devastating injury, but I wish the media would stop making these guys seem like they're athletic mutants.

WCH
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah, you'd have to braindead to not recognize what's going on. And really, why shouldn't they be using new supplements and experimental treatments to recover faster? It's their careers that are on the line.

JoeJoeBrown
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Well said man.

And I have no problems with it. Almost all of the NFL is juiced up in some sort of way. The human species didn't explode in size over the past 30 years.

FUNBUNCHER
02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
For some reason it hardly bothers me knowing NFL players use PEDs, but it pisses me off to no end knowing MLB players are on the gear.

Cigaro
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
+1.

If Lattimore runs at the combine and posts a time better than 4.65, I'm going to be highly skeptical of what methods he used to rehab from his injury.

I understand why someone would pursue pharmaceutical options to prepare themselves for the NFL and come back from a devastating injury, but I wish the media would stop making these guys seem like they're athletic mutants.

You misinterpreted what Lattimore said about running. He is not running at the Combine. He's running in rehab, something he hasn't done since the surgery. He is no shape to run at the Combine. The "shock" is going to come from team's medical services examining him, not any participation in drills.