PDA

View Full Version : Raiders make offer for McCown? (Lions)

Windy
04-01-2007, 02:47 AM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=631540&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2flions.scout.com%2f2%2f63 1540.html (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=631540&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2flions.scout.com%2f2%2f63 1540.html)

So here's the dilemma: the Lions are entertaining an offer by Oakland for quarterback Josh McCown. While the exchange could be sweet, Detroit might severely compromise its draft position -- or open it up.

I found this interesting but I don't have a subscription.

WMD
04-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Unless the Raiders absolutely blow the Lions away with a deal, I don't think they should do it.. You guys would be able to take CJ #1, no question.. which hurts our trade down possibilities.. If we manage to trade #2 before we trade you guys McCown, i'm all for it though.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
McCown is a third stringer.Swaping first round picks shouldnt even be talked about.Day two pick is alright with me I guess.

RaiderNation
04-01-2007, 12:40 PM
hopefully its a 5th or 6th. id be really pissed if it was a 4th

Komp
04-01-2007, 12:53 PM
McCown isn't worth old newspaper...this would be a ******** trade for us to make. I haven't even looked at the deal at all, but if we give them anything for McCown it's a bad deal for us.

Romyrick
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
You guys are severely underrating Josh McCown, the guy is a VERY good QB and he's also very athletic. If I were Detroit I wouldnt trade him.

keylime_5
04-01-2007, 01:34 PM
If Oakland trades for McCown then the top of this draft gets twice as hard to predict. (does oakland still take Russell or do they get CJ, and if so where does Randy Moss go)

slightlyaraiderfan
04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Dammit, looks like Kirwin was right.

NIN1984
04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
McCown is a backup, I still think Russell would be the pick.

princefielder28
04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
That'll fix their problems???

Windy
04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
McCown is a backup, I still think Russell would be the pick.

I totally agree. If JaMarcus is indeed the pick, He most likely won't start from the beginning. It would be McCown or Walter starting until Russell is ready.

locseti
04-01-2007, 04:41 PM
This just seems unneccessary, we dont need to mess around with draft picks when we can just sign someone.

Komp
04-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Yah this doesn't make sense to me at all. Walter is fine as a backup QB. McCown isn't the answer at starting QB [the Raiders have to know this], but he does add depth if we get him for cheap.

RaiderLifer
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I like Josh a lot more than most and I love CJ and Russell so I'm torn on what we should do.

Stash
04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Why the hell are we wasting time trying to acquire McCown? We should be trying to get Green instead.

Romyrick
04-01-2007, 09:54 PM
McCown is much better than Trent Green, come on.

Stash
04-01-2007, 11:04 PM

Are you serious? If that is not a joke then you need to watch some football. From 02-05 Trent Green never had a QB rating below 90, he was one of the top QB's in the game. He struggled last year because he was recovering from a concussion and only played in the 2nd half of the year. I know Green is old as dirt but he would be a good short term fix and could provide competition for Walter and excellent veteran leadership for any QB on the roster.

What has McCown ever done besides suck? I know he's athletic but that doesn't make him a good QB.

RaiderNation
04-01-2007, 11:58 PM

omg what are u talking about. mccown only has a strong arm and has okay modility. he was 3rd string on the lions last year. yes the lions

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Unlike McCown, Green has proven to be starter quality.

andre patton
04-02-2007, 12:23 AM
i dont care...ill take green or mccown. hell i wanted mccown when he was leaving arizona.

as long as we draft cj ill be good.

RaiderNation
04-02-2007, 12:51 AM
i dont care...ill take green or mccown. hell i wanted mccown when he was leaving arizona.

as long as we draft cj ill be good.

amen to that

portermvp84
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't mind Mckown, he's a little better upgrade than Bledsoe and Carr are. I wouldn't give up very much for him 5th round tops. But def not a 4th. I'd rather take a chance on Walter over Mckown because Mckown hasn't proven anything, and Walter is still very young. Lets just say if we don't get him or Trent Green, I want Jamracus Russell.

TRJ997
04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
It's telling that McCown isn't even being considered as a starter in Detroit. Hes' entering his 6th season, which should be the prime of his career and he can't beat out the 35 year old Kitna and his 22 Int's last year. Detroit NEEDS a QB of the future to lead that offense. If they are willing to let him go for a day 2 pick, then his value is low.

Romyrick
04-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Trust me, ask any scout who'd they rather have Green or McCown... especially when you consider upside. You guys simply don't know how good McCown is and what his upside could be.

He's seriously the only option that I'd be okay with instead of Russell

locseti
04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Dude, I like McCown too, but for all his "upside," he's still a decent backup at best.Plus, we're most likely going to draft a QB so his upside isn't an issue. Like someone else mentioned, he didn't even sniff any playing time in Detroit, was a marginal starter in Arizona, and hasn't proved anything. I'd rather sign Rattay, Green or Carr, at least they have proven their ability to start in this league.

Windy
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
rotoworld.com

Josh McCown-QB-Lions Apr. 5 - 8:10 pm et

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Raiders have entered trade talks with the Lions concerning backup quarterback Josh McCown.

Windy
04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I hope we don't get him.

Scotty D
04-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Any idea what type of compensation we are talking about? Just seems dumb for us to eliminate your need at QB even though trading for McCown doesn't mean you wouldn't take Russell.

NIN1984
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
McCown is a back up that's all, some people think this means Calvin Johnson is a lock because we have McCown.

that's funny

Stash
04-06-2007, 11:22 PM
McCown is a back up that's all, some people think this means Calvin Johnson is a lock because we have McCown.

that's funny

I agree. I love CJ but I don't think McCown alters the draft plans much at all, he will just compete with Booty to hold the clipboard.

mhuff21
04-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Maybe this McCown trade talk includes Randy Moss. That'd be sweet if we could some how get their 2nd Rd pick in this deal. That way we can take CJ first overall and take a QB with the 2nd rd pick that we acquire from Detroit (Drew Stanton or Trent Edwards). WIN-WIN situation if you ask me.

locseti
04-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Who in Raiderland is so head over heels for this kid? Think maybe Kiffin has seen alot of him and really likes him?

TheChampIsHere
04-07-2007, 04:10 AM
If the Raiders make this deal it would certainly confuse matters. Its obviously gonna be CJ or Russell, but a move like adding McCown which doesnt really adress the QB position but makes it a less pressing need would certainly make it a lot harder to figure out who theyre taking.

skatman
04-07-2007, 01:23 PM
If the Raiders make this deal it would certainly confuse matters. Its obviously gonna be CJ or Russell, but a move like adding McCown which doesnt really adress the QB position but makes it a less pressing need would certainly make it a lot harder to figure out who theyre taking.

Short of taking Russell or Quinn, it's going to be confusing. Let's say we trade for McCown and draft an Edwards/Kolb/Stanton.

Walter, McCown and the rook would all pretty much be on equal ground, and battle for the starting job. What a great notion! Let the best man win. But as soon as that winner falters, everyone is going to start yelling for the other guy, whoever that is.

Having 3 guys means we have no guys. And with nothing major invested in any of them, it's easy for fans to lose patience, whereas with a high pick, people are more patient. It's just the way it is.

And after next year, we still won't know who our QB of the future is, and some people will think it's this guy or that guy, and some will want Brohm. But the anti-Brohm folks will say, "Well, if we were gonna draft one, we shoulda just drafted Russell last year."

Just draft the dang QB now, and build around him. Russell or Quinn, whoever they like.

Stash
04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I'd rather have Brohm than Russell.

Tha rizzock
04-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd rather have Brohm than Russell.

I have to agree i wish brohm cam out so we could grab him now he reminds me of palmer.

reinar
04-11-2007, 02:12 AM
im telling you, McCown & MWilliams for the raiders 2nd round, maybe 3/4 combo? gives you a starting veteran QB (doesnt matter whether or not you like him, he is there only to mentor/provide schooling for Russell), and another WR for russell to throw to. AL isnt worried about MW's weight, so he will be motivated to play. you still get russell, give up your 2nd rounder, big whoop, since you picked up 2 players for it anyhows.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-11-2007, 02:15 AM
im telling you, McCown & MWilliams for the raiders 2nd round, maybe 3/4 combo? gives you a starting veteran QB (doesnt matter whether or not you like him, he is there only to mentor/provide schooling for Russell), and another WR for russell to throw to. AL isnt worried about MW's weight, so he will be motivated to play. you still get russell, give up your 2nd rounder, big whoop, since you picked up 2 players for it anyhows.

If you think Al Davis would trade his 2nd rounder for a overweight bust and a career backup, you have brain damage. Al Davis is a lot of things, but he isn't a fool.

Windy
04-11-2007, 02:48 AM
This isn't Madden.

skatman
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM

They are talking about a 4th or 5th round pick.

Williams couldn't get traded for bread mold right now, what are you talking about?

Stash
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
That was seriously the worst trade scenario I have ever heard, you must be a Lions fan or you are just mental.

RaiderMike
04-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Raiderfans only no Lions guys here. What would offer in compensation for the Package of McCown & MWilliams. In the latest Mock I did I gave the Lions our 4th stright up for both. I think Kiffen could offer MWilliams alot of good motivation and Kiifen Coached Williams if I am not mistaken a few years ago so they have some histroy.

Its not hard for a pro athlete to loose 10 to 20 lbs can be done in 2 to 3 weeks. MWilliams is a very talented WR if he is used right Mike Martz does not know how to use him Kiffen does. Martz is a sytem type guy that inherited MWilliams and did not try to change him to fit Martzs system and MWilliams went down hill in the hte Lions orgaenaztion form there. Rember AL
Like Mike WIllams a few years ago and Al Like to Redeem players so there is a small chance we might go for him.

Stash
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
We just do not need a WR. We have Moss, Porter, Curry, and Gabriel; why would we want MWilliams?? The only way I want a WR is if we trade Moss and draft CJ.