PDA

View Full Version : 2012 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 11: Bears at 49ers

Borat
11-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Week 11:
Monday, November 19, 2012
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2012/1117/dm_121117_mnf_booth_preview/dm_121117_mnf_booth_preview.jpg

Chicago Bears (7-2)
At
San Francisco 49ers (6-2-1)

http://nfl49ers.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/100212-stick-header.jpg

Time: 5: 30 pm pst
Line: SF -7.0
Announcers (ESPN): Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Lisa Salters

Well, letís wrap up last weeks debacle:
http://images04.olx.com/ui/8/54/00/1281387015_113045400_1-Giorgio-Armani-Dark-Red-Mens-Neck-Tie-brand-new-Vancouver-WA-1281387015.jpg

Moving on.

Looks like this:
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2012/1112/dm_121112_nfl_jim_harbough_interview/dm_121112_nfl_jim_harbough_interview.jpg
And this:
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kgo/cms_exf_2007/news/sports/pro/football/8881816_448x252.jpg
Has passed the concussion tests and should be OK and starting Monday.

Prognosis not so rosey for this guy:
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/11/16/usp-nfl_-houston-texans-at-chicago-bears-4_3_r560.jpg

Looks like the Bears are rolling with this:
http://www.csnchicago.com/common/medialib/158/878047.png

Normally, Iíd throw in a joke about Jason Campbell here, but I underestimated the Rams and the Vikings this year and those didnít end well. So this time around Iím just going to consider Campbell as an elite QB, ranked slightly ahead of Rodgers, Brees and Gabbert.

Iíll admit it, the Bears are rocking one of my favorite players:
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2012/11-9-12-charles-tillman/14261135-1-eng-US/11-9-12-Charles-Tillman_full_600.jpg

Turnover machine.
http://photos.nwherald.com/PhotoStore/November-2012/Bears-Rout-Titans-51-20/i-c9wjkCn/0/L/hspts_mon1105_nfl_bears_Tillman_forces-L.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Charles+Tillman+Chicago+Bears+v+Green+Bay+bAljz3d7 2-ll.jpg

http://www.chicagobears.com/assets/images/imported/CHI/photos/clubimages/2012/11-November/TillmanGore_inside111512.jpg

I think Smith is just going to identify Tillman pre-snap and then completely ignore him.

Hey, remember me?:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wkcj_D7DLDU/TxJtgvkDNqI/AAAAAAAAPo8/uMo2wKIfb64/s1600/vernon+davis+paul+sakuma.jpg

Targets the last 4 games:
6 SFO NYG 5.0
7 SFO SEA 0.0
8 SFO ARI 2.0
10 SFO STL 5.0

Thatís ugly.

Whatever.

MOOOOAAAAARRRRRRR of this as much as possible:
http://media.oregonlive.com/nfl/photo/gorerunjpg-f16f2af2676482e8_large.jpg

Standings
NFC West
1. San Francisco 49ers (6-2-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (6-4)
3. Arizona Cardinals (4-6)
3. St. Louis Rams (3-6-1)

NFC North
1. Chicago Bears (7-2)
2. Green Bay Packers (6-4)
3. Minnesota Vikings (6-4)
4. Detroit Lions (4-6)

-Special Note:
http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/J/a/y/Jaydog666-2404152.jpg

Ness
11-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I almost wonder if it would be better to put Cutler in there. The last time the 49ers faced him he had his worst day as a pro if I recall throwing five interceptions. Of course both teams are different than they were three years ago. However, Jay does start to press and throw picks if pressure gets in his face. That being said I guess I'd still rather have Campbell back there. I'm hoping that he plays a little rusty not having been in sync with the offense for very long.

And I hope for the love of all that is good in the world that Greg Roman starts utilizing Vernon Davis. Really, the joke is over. It's time to get our tight end involved in the pass game. Won't be surprised if the 49ers try to just grind out this win via the ground the good defense. Might not to want to put Smith in too many bad spots. Should be interesting.

Brent
11-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Dear Greg Roman,

Hi! Brent here. Listen, earlier this year I drafted a young man named Vernon Davis for my fantasy team. I did this because, outside of Frank Gore, he's my favorite Niner and he was destined to have a monster season. Though the first five games this year, I felt I had made a smart choice. Sadly, this has not been the case as of late. I think I speak for most of us when I say that, last year, we thought the play-calling was mostly impeccable. Hell, there are many times during a game where I wonder if there is going to be yet another formation to run out of. So, I commend you for that.

However, you haven't shown that same proclivity for creativity in the passing game. The Niners need that. I need it, too. Please, this is a throwing league. And you didn't win in the playoffs running the ball, that's for sure. Don't believe me? Look at the 4th quarter of that Saints game... or the abortion of a passing attack against the Giants last season.

With regards,

Brent

abaddon41_80
11-19-2012, 07:29 AM
So quarterbacks against the Bears this year have a completion percentage of 58.8%, 215 YPG, 0.9 TD/game, 2.1 INT/game, and a 59.3 QB rating. That is not encouraging. I have a feeling that this is going to be a week filled with a lot of "bench Alex Smith" talk, even if he beats those averages and we win.

Borat
11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddddd .... I was completely wrong on Alex Smith. Just heard he won't play. CK gets the start.

abaddon41_80
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Yep just heard that as well. Oh well, time to see what CK can do

Menardo75
11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Tonight could be a pivotal moment in the future of the niners.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Kaepernick prediction -

65% completion, 200+ yards, 2 TD, no INT....plus an extra 40 yards rushing and a TD....

49ers win....

28-10

Brent
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
CK didn't get any 1st team reps this week. That's not ******* good. We'll be lucky to squeak out a win.

49erNation85
11-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Dam dan is being generous for CK . I hope we do win but it won't be a big stat kind of game.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
CK got the majority of the reps this past Saturday. Trust me, he'll be ready. As long as Harbaugh doesnt chain him like he does Alex, he'll be fine once the jitters go away after a series or two.

Let's go NINERS!!!

abaddon41_80
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Being positive here. KaeperVICK gonna account for three total touchdowns with no turnovers in a dismantling of the Bears overrated defense

dan77733
11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Let's go Niners!!! Crush Chicago and turn them into little cubs!!! Come on!!!

17-0 thus far baby!!! Yeah, **** yeah!!!

Brent
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
unleash The Kaepernick

dan77733
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
9/11 158 TD...hasnt run yet or been touched. Love this guy's arm. :)

Borat
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Stop it Brent! You know you are subconsciously rooting for Kaep to fail to validate Alex Smith ... or something ridiculous like that.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
A QB with a cannon for an arm and Hunter was going to pass??? Come on, crap like this is what im talking about. Crap like that rarely works. No reason to get cute. I hate this cute crap that Harbaugh likes running. Just put the ******* team away.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Damn it!!! Sacked. Oh well. I can live with a FG. 20-0. And am I the only one holding their breath when Akers kicks?

VAfy-ya
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
This is excatly what I didn't want for this team. Not talking about a a great win, but a over-blown QB controversy. Especially one that isn't warranted. CK played great. Made some nice throws and some nice, simple adjustments at the line but the Bears played right into our hands.

The Bears didn't disguise their coverage early and they paid for it. Roman started out giving CK simple reads. We went with a lot of heavy sets, play-action out of those which usually left a mis-match(mainly VD) open. Those first couple of throws were nicely set-up to give CK some early success. Then CK made nice sight adjustments and audible to a couple of quick slants. Nothing earth-shattering. But the Bears never confused CK...except for that sack where they showed blitz then dropped into coverage. No defense from here on out would approach CK the same way. They never made CK second guess anything he was seeing. Very surprised by the Bears approach.

That being said, CK made some nice throws. Displayed some nice touch and improvisation skills. He also missed a few too but I don't even fault him for those. But he didn't do anything Alex hasn't done repeatedly all year. Alex is still the best QB for this team. And anyone who thinks CK could keep up this production is fooling themselves. But it's nice to see that CK has been brought along nicely. Future looks very promising.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
I think the team, including Kaepernick, knows that this is Alex's team. It won't be until the off season that a QB battle will begin.

49erNation85
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
So how long will it take dan to rant all about CK performance from tonight? It was great yes but against a terrible defense performance from the bears.

Ness
11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
This is excatly what I didn't want for this team. Not talking about a a great win, but a over-blown QB controversy. Especially one that isn't warranted. CK played great. Made some nice throws and some nice, simple adjustments at the line but the Bears played right into our hands.

The Bears didn't disguise their coverage early and they paid for it. Roman started out giving CK simple reads. We went with a lot of heavy sets, play-action out of those which usually left a mis-match(mainly VD) open. Those first couple of throws were nicely set-up to give CK some early success. Then CK made nice sight adjustments and audible to a couple of quick slants. Nothing earth-shattering. But the Bears never confused CK...except for that sack where they showed blitz then dropped into coverage. No defense from here on out would approach CK the same way. They never made CK second guess anything he was seeing. Very surprised by the Bears approach.

That being said, CK made some nice throws. Displayed some nice touch and improvisation skills. He also missed a few too but I don't even fault him for those. But he didn't do anything Alex hasn't done repeatedly all year. Alex is still the best QB for this team. And anyone who thinks CK could keep up this production is fooling themselves. But it's nice to see that CK has been brought along nicely. Future looks very promising.

Don't tell that to the rest of the forum. You know, the people that don't watch the team unless it's a primetime game.

phlysac
11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
As a very open Alex Smith-supporter, I will say that Kaepernick made 2 throws that Alex Smith likely wouldn't have. The 1st quarter 50+ yarder to Kyle Williams, and the 3rd quarter intermediate-middle throw the Vernon. Those were both "dangerous" throws that Smith rarely makes.

Smith is the more complete option, but I'm excited for what Kaep has shown.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 10:52 PM

Why??? Tonight was great. We appear to finally have a franchise QB with a cannon for an arm. And yeah, he overthrew a pass or two but I rather see passes overthrown instead of underthrown or intercepted. Granted, the Bears werent prepared but for the first time since Harbaugh has become the head coach, it didnt feel like our QB was chained down. Kaepernick is Harbaugh's hand picked QB period. Smith is a leftover. Smith is the veteran backup type QB. Kaepernick impressed the hell out of me. Even when the Bears did get pressure on him, he either avoided it or threw the ball away.

Most importantly and also for the first time since Harbaugh became our head coach, I finally have some excitement and confidence in our offense and that we can finally average 30ppg. Also, our offense was more aggressive passing than I have seen them all season. Finally, passing down field. Instead of short consertative passes.

Sorry but I know you guys want Smith to stay the starter but no damn way. With Smith, our offense isnt a threat period. And with the Saints next week who have a horrible defense, we should be able to score some points. Add in Kaepernick's mobility and he's a legitimate dual threat. He barely ran and when he did, he already won us the game passing wise.

Having a legitimate passing offense and scoring more points makes us the most dangerous team in the NFL because if we get a lead like we had tonight with our running game, defense and special teams, we'll be nearly impossible to beat. Kaepernick looked poised, calm and relaxed. His passes that he didnt overthrow were perfectly on target. Something Smith hasnt been able to do down the field.

Sorry but with all the weapons we have on offense, its time they get used to the most of their ability. With Smith, thats just never going to happen. With Kaepernick, our receivers can finally be legitimate dangerous weapons instead of just decoys half the damn time.

I love Kapernick's arm and while I dont think he'll start if Smith is healthy next week, I think that Kaepernick should start because
he gives our offense a legitimate chance of scoring touchdowns and more points. 23ppg isnt going to cut it in a passing and scoring league. Time to surpass all these crappy ass teams and get back to dominating like this franchise used to.

16/23 (70%), 243, 2 TD

And damn, I was nearly spot on with my prediction for his stats. He had more passing yards and less rushing yards than I thought he would.

I know you guys are going to want Smith to remain the starter but let's be realistic. If we dont win the Super Bowl this year with Smith as a starter, everyone is going to say why we didnt stay with Kaepernick? Even if we dont win the Super Bowl with Kaepernick, it doesnt matter because he's still the future of this franchise at QB.

And quite honestly, I think that we have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl with Kaepernick than we do with Smith because our passing offense is now a legitimate threat. Unless Kaepernick does the opposite against the Saints, there's no way I even think about going back to Smith.

To each his own though.

49ersfan_87
11-19-2012, 10:56 PM
As a very open Alex Smith-supporter, I will say that Kaepernick made 2 throws that Alex Smith likely wouldn't have. The 1st quarter 50+ yarder to Kyle Williams, and the 3rd quarter intermediate-middle throw the Vernon. Those were both "dangerous" throws that Smith rarely makes.

I also think Kaepernick escaped 2-3 sacks that Alex would have taken. Even the Crabs TD was a play i don't think Alex makes this year.

Harbaugh in post-game PC: We usually ride the hot hand, both QB's have the hot hand. We'll make a determination on who starts as the week goes on (i think this is regardless of Alex's health).

phlysac
11-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Why??? Tonight was great. We appear to finally have a franchise QB with a cannon for an arm. And yeah, he overthrew a pass or two but I rather see passes overthrown instead of underthrown or intercepted. Granted, the Bears werent prepared but for the first time since Harbaugh has become the head coach, it didnt feel like our QB was chained down. Kaepernick is Harbaugh's hand picked QB period. Smith is a leftover. Smith is the veteran backup type QB. Kaepernick impressed the hell out of me. Even when the Bears did get pressure on him, he either avoided it or threw the ball away.

Most importantly and also for the first time since Harbaugh became our head coach, I finally have some excitement and confidence in our offense and that we can finally average 30ppg. Also, our offense was more aggressive passing than I have seen them all season. Finally, passing down field. Instead of short consertative passes.

Sorry but I know you guys want Smith to stay the starter but no damn way. With Smith, our offense isnt a threat period. And with the Saints next week who have a horrible defense, we should be able to score some points. Add in Kaepernick's mobility and he's a legitimate dual threat. He barely ran and when he did, he already won us the game passing wise.

Having a legitimate passing offense and scoring more points makes us the most dangerous team in the NFL because if we get a lead like we had tonight with our running game, defense and special teams, we'll be nearly impossible to beat. Kaepernick looked poised, calm and relaxed. His passes that he didnt overthrow were perfectly on target. Something Smith hasnt been able to do down the field.

Sorry but with all the weapons we have on offense, its time they get used to the most of their ability. With Smith, thats just never going to happen. With Kaepernick, our receivers can finally be legitimate dangerous weapons instead of just decoys half the damn time.

I love Kapernick's arm and while I dont think he'll start if Smith is healthy next week, I think that Kaepernick should start because
he gives our offense a legitimate chance of scoring touchdowns and more points. 23ppg isnt going to cut it in a passing and scoring league. Time to surpass all these crappy ass teams and get back to dominating like this franchise used to.

16/23 (70%), 243, 2 TD

And damn, I was nearly spot on with my prediction for his stats. He had more passing yards and less rushing yards than I thought he would.

I know you guys are going to want Smith to remain the starter but let's be realistic. If we dont win the Super Bowl this year with Smith as a starter, everyone is going to say why we didnt stay with Kaepernick? Even if we dont win the Super Bowl with Kaepernick, it doesnt matter because he's still the future of this franchise at QB.

And quite honestly, I think that we have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl with Kaepernick than we do with Smith because our passing offense is now a legitimate threat. Unless Kaepernick does the opposite against the Saints, there's no way I even think about going back to Smith.

To each his own though.
You need to look at how well the offense has played behind Alex. It's clear as day that you watched this game from a biased perspective. Alex's last 2 games he was 26-28 with 4 TD's and 0 Ints. 30, 27, 34, 45, 24. You act like the 49ers have struggled to score this year.

farfromforgotten
11-19-2012, 10:58 PM

I agree with all of this.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 11:01 PM
So how long will it take dan to rant all about CK performance from tonight? It was great yes but against a terrible defense performance from the bears.

Bears defense is what top three? No way Smith has the same performance and here's why - Harbaugh doesnt have the confidence in Smith that he has in Kaepernick to be more aggressive and pass downfield. With Smith, we all know what the gameplan is. Short passes, runs, gimmick plays, more runs, play scared, non aggressive football. I'm tired of that crap. The teams that win are the ones that are aggressive and go out and take the win instead of hoping the win comes to them.

You guys can bash me all you want but Kaepernick is the future QB either way and barring an injury or a horrible game against the Saints, I wouldnt even think of going back to Smith.

Harbaugh traded up to draft Kaepernick. Kaepernick is Harbaugh's hand picked guy. Smith is NOT and never will be. Thats evident in the play-calling and the difference in styles. With Kaepernick, we're aggressive. With Smith, we're consertative because Harbaugh is scared of Smith turning the ball over and making mistakes. Another positive is that with Kaepernick's arm strength, better accuracy on deep throws is that if we get behind or Kaepernick turns the ball over, the threat of coming back is still there. With Smith, not so much.

With Smith, we try to get a small ten point of so lead and basically try to hold and ride it to a win. With Kaepernick, we're far more aggressive and looking to score more points instead of just hoping to hold on for the win. Another positive to Kaepernick is that if our offense can be this good, it makes our defense and the rest of the team better.

Cant always expect the defense to bail us out every game because its not going to happen.

But again, to each his own.

Ness
11-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Knee jerk reactions for the win. I bet Dan creamed his pants in Tim Rattay's 2003 debut when he lit up the Rams that year who went 12-4.

Ness
11-19-2012, 11:08 PM
You guys can bash me all you want but Kaepernick is the future QB either way and barring an injury or a horrible game against the Saints, I wouldnt even think of going back to Smith.

Oh, so if Colin has a bad game against the Saints you're immediately off the wagon. Cool story bro.

49erNation85
11-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed CK performance and the rest of team game tonight it was great to watch to compared to last week ugly game. I know that Smith will stay the QB rest of the season. I think JH post conference is just a bluff he leave out Smith rest of the season next is when the battle begins and it will be fun. I too love having the mobility of a duel threat QB it adds more to the offense .

phlysac
11-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm wondering where this aggressive, downfield, point-scoring barrage that Dan speaks of was last week when Kaep was playing.

It must've been Kaepernick who put up 30 on the Pack, 34 on the Jets, and 45 on the Bills. It must've been Kaep throwing the ball 18-19 for 3 TDs against the Cards.

Kaep looked REALLY good tonight, but c'mon Dan!

Borat
11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Just fuckinn embarrassed them. That felt awesome.

49ersfan_87
11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
How about that 2011 draft class? Aldon, Kaep, Cully, Hunter all played great. Only mishap was Cully giving up a jump ball TD to Marshall when the Bears shouldn't have even had the ball.

You the man, Baalke

http://helmet2helmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/trent-baalke.jpg

dan77733
11-19-2012, 11:26 PM
You need to look at how well the offense has played behind Alex. It's clear as day that you watched this game from a biased perspective. Alex's last 2 games he was 26-28 with 4 TD's and 0 Ints. 30, 27, 34, 45, 24. You act like the 49ers have struggled to score this year.

I'll admit that I am biased. Just like everyone here was when Smith sucked for seven years. Yards wise, except for the Bills, Kaepernick had more passing yards against a top three defense or whatever the hell the Bears are in his first career start than Smith has had all season.

49ers have struggled to score this year. They're not doing any better than last season. Averaging 23.6ppg this season in eight games with Smith. In one game with Kaepernick, 32 points. 8.4 points is a HUGE difference between winning and losing in the NFL nowadays because its a scoring league and a passing offense league. Thats what it is.

Question -

Do you think that Smith could have dominated the Bears defense like Kaepernick did tonight? Do you think that Smith can make those deep passes with accuracy? Do you think that our offense can be more up tempo and aggressive with Smith like we were tonight with Kaepernick? Your answers to those questions determines whether or not you think that Smith or Kaepernick is the better option at QB.

And everyone here is acting like Kaepernick crushed the Jets or Bills non-existent crappy defenses. He didnt. He dominated the Bears defense which caused no turnovers. Kaepernick buried their ass after the first half. When the last time Smith did that against a top three defense? I dont think that he ever has. But correct me if im wrong.

I'm just sick and tired of all this boring, predictable, consertative play-calling because when the playoffs come and a team that can score 30 points is going to kick our asses. Only team we played with an actual offense were the Giants and once we got behind, it was over and done with. Packers have offense now but they started off slow. The way the Packers offense is playing and the way the Saints offense is playing, do you really think that Smith can keep up with them in a running based consertative offense? I dont and the proof is that we've seen it happen already.

Yeah, Smith did great against the Saints in the playoffs but at the same time, if you subtract our early lead and turnovers, you could also say that we get blown out. If we had the offense we had tonight against the Giants, we would have blown them away. The Saints game was basically going back and forth at the end but if a team gets a 20 point lead on us, do you really think that Smith gives us a better chance of coming back to win the game than Kaepernick does? I dont because Kaepernick's arm alone makes him the winner.

I'm sorry but im just sick and tired of seeing the same damn crappy running, consertative games. After the years of 2003-2010, we finally have a QB with a damn arm who can actually make our passing offense something that it hasnt been since 2002 - a legitimate threat which in itself will make our running game better than it already is plus make our defense better because they will be much more rested since we'll be able to have longer drives. To me, Kaepernick's positives outweigh his negatives and compared to Smith, the only positive Smith has over Kaepernick is his experience and leadership but both of those things will come in time.

Anyway, im happy and truly excited for the first time since last season because we finally have an offense thats actually a threat. I'm hoping Kaepernick stays the starter even though I dont think that he will. But again, to each his own.

49erNation85
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Keep on dreaming dan. Smith will be the rest of season.

VAfy-ya
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
How about that 2011 draft class? Aldon, Kaep, Cully, Hunter all played great. Only mishap was Cully giving up a jump ball TD to Marshall when the Bears shouldn't have even had the ball.

You the man, Baalke

http://helmet2helmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/trent-baalke.jpg

Post of the year....and don't you ever leave out Bruce Miller again :)

phlysac
11-19-2012, 11:35 PM
I'll admit that I am biased. Just like everyone here was when Smith sucked for seven years. Yards wise, except for the Bills, Kaepernick had more passing yards against a top three defense or whatever the hell the Bears are in his first career start than Smith has had all season.

49ers have struggled to score this year. They're not doing any better than last season. Averaging 23.6ppg this season in eight games with Smith. In one game with Kaepernick, 32 points. 8.4 points is a HUGE difference between winning and losing in the NFL nowadays because its a scoring league and a passing offense league. Thats what it is.

Alex Smith on the season averages 7.98 yards per attempt. Kaepernick averages 7.92 yards per attempt. You talk about passing yards... tell the whole story.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2530/cmonman.jpg

dan77733
11-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh, so if Colin has a bad game against the Saints you're immediately off the wagon. Cool story bro.

Me personally, I wouldnt go back to Smith unless Kaepernick gets injured. If he plays bad, I would still stay with him. I think that if he starts against the Saints and plays bad, Harbaugh will go back to Smith.

I would keep Kaepernick the starter period barring injury.

I'm wondering where this aggressive, downfield, point-scoring barrage that Dan speaks of was last week when Kaep was playing.

It must've been Kaepernick who put up 30 on the Pack, 34 on the Jets, and 45 on the Bills. It must've been Kaep throwing the ball 18-19 for 3 TDs against the Cards.

Kaep looked REALLY good tonight, but c'mon Dan!

Kaepernick didnt start last week and Harbaugh wasnt aggressive at all when Kaepernick went in the game. Huge difference. Tonight, Harbaugh let Kaepernick go out and play aggressive.

30, 34 and 45 points against CRAPPY defenses. Give me a break. Smith played good against the Cardinals but what was his longest pass completion? Majority of those completions were short passes.

Here's a question -

Excluding the Saints playoff win and the Eagles game last season, has there been any games that Smith has looked better than how Kaepernick looked tonight?

The answer to that to me is no.

And another question -

Every week, there's something that Smith does that annoys or bugs you guys. Whether its accuracy, taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away, etc.

Was there anything that Kaepernick did tonight that annoyed, bugged or pissed you off tonight?

For the first time in a LONG time, we finally have a franchise QB with a cannon for an arm and its time to take full advantage of that.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Alex Smith on the season averages 7.98 yards per attempt. Kaepernick averages 7.92 yards per attempt. You talk about passing yards... tell the whole story.

You cant compare all the pass attempts that Smith has already made compared to Kaepernick. You talk about telling the whole story but neither are you.

dan77733
11-19-2012, 11:40 PM
But whatever. Just have to wait and see what happens.

VAfy-ya
11-19-2012, 11:43 PM
What the **** is Harbaugh thinking? I just saw what he said in the post-game press conference. Are you ******* kidding me? Nothing better to distract a team with than a little QB controversy. Easily, the dumbest thing that's come out of his mouth as our coach. Just unbelievable he would come out say some dumb **** like "well we tend to go with the hot hand in these situations". ********, you go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win every week. You were a QB in the NFL....you should ******* know better. Wow, just wow...now I have to hear players answer dumb ass questions from here on out. "Well who do you think should start Frank" "Who would rather catch passes from Vernon".

phlysac
11-19-2012, 11:48 PM
You cant compare all the pass attempts that Smith has already made compared to Kaepernick. You talk about telling the whole story but neither are you.

Why not? You compared a PPG average through 9 games for Smith against 1 game for Kaepernick. The fact that Smith has attempted more passes actually makes it MORE difficult to have a higher average. But nice attempt at an argument.

Seriously. Anyone rooting for one guy over the other really pisses me off. I'm happy BOTH 49ers QBs can win games. Whichever player lines up behind center I'm rooting 100% for.

This "controversy" is NOT going to help the team. But feel free to keep perpetuating it.

I'm happy as hell with how Kaep played... but knee-jerk reactions don't make a knee out of you.

Madirishman
11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Great win. Championship-caliber defense showed up tonight in a big way. Special teams had arguable their best coverage though Ginn didn't due much other than field the kicks cleanly, which was enough. I had faith in Kap but didn't expect him to look that polished the entire game. O-Line dominated and Rachal single-handedly screwed the Bears several times....Hahahaha. Aldon and Justin Smith, Willis and Bowman are all All-Pros; it's not even close. They just dominate.

Harbaugh is a Godsend to Niners QBs so far. We might be looking at Walsh 2.0 here in many ways. I'm so excited about this team now and for the coming years with (finally) the right FO and coaching mix.

Who's got it better than us? NOBODY!

Great win but a challenging remaining schedule with many road games await this team. They are poised to take homefield advantage and secure a bye if they keep playing at this level.

Ness
11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Per Maiocco.

49ers TE Vernon Davis: "I felt like somebody took the handcuffs off me."

phlysac
11-19-2012, 11:51 PM
What the **** is Harbaugh thinking? I just saw what he said in the post-game press conference. Are you ******* kidding me? Nothing better to distract a team with than a little QB controversy. Easily, the dumbest thing that's come out of his mouth as our coach. Just unbelievable he would come out say some dumb **** like "well we tend to go with the hot hand in these situations". ********, you go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win every week. You were a QB in the NFL....you should ******* know better. Wow, just wow...now I have to hear players answer dumb ass questions from here on out. "Well who do you think should start Frank" "Who would rather catch passes from Vernon".

Yeah. Let's hope it doesn't hurt the team.

phlysac
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Per Maiocco.

He said the difference was that the Bears didn't game-plan to take him out. He said this is the 1st time in weeks that what they saw on film was what was played during the game. So, the BEARS took the handcuffs off him.

Ness
11-20-2012, 12:06 AM
He said the difference was that the Bears didn't game-plan to take him out. He said this is the 1st time in weeks that what they saw on film was what was played during the game. So, the BEARS took the handcuffs off him.

I assumed it might have been taken out of context.

Ness
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Maybe he didn't want to slight Colin. I have a feeling reporters were going to ask those kinds of questions regardless of what Jim Harbaugh said. He kept reiterating that both of his quarterbacks have the "hot hand". Whoever it is, I just hope he makes a decision and doesn't flip flop. I'd be shocked if it wasn't Alex starting against the Saints this coming weekend though. Even if Alex throws three touchdowns I already know it will be because it was just the Saints defense.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
I assumed it might have been taken out of context.

I can't comment on the context. I'm just relaying what he said in his on-field interview. He was asked why Kaep found him the ball when he hadn't been getting it. He responded by saying that the Bears didn't revolve their defense around stopping him.

If he changed his context towards Maiocco, then he's telling two stories.

dan77733
11-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Why not? You compared a PPG average through 9 games for Smith against 1 game for Kaepernick. The fact that Smith has attempted more passes actually makes it MORE difficult to have a higher average. But nice attempt at an argument.

Seriously. Anyone rooting for one guy over the other really pisses me off. I'm happy BOTH 49ers QBs can win games. Whichever player lines up behind center I'm rooting 100% for.

This "controversy" is NOT going to help the team. But feel free to keep perpetuating it.

I'm happy as hell with how Kaep played... but knee-jerk reactions don't make a knee out of you.

Fine. Fair enough.

Both QB's can win games but which one do you think can win us a Super Bowl? Which one is actually the future at QB? It's not Smith. And its not that im cheering for Kaepernick over Smith. It's that with Kaepernick, the consertative crap appears to be gone. He's Harbaugh's guy period and will eventually be the starter either way. It's just a matter of time.

With Smith, it feels like Harbaugh will NEVER EVER take the chains off of him where as with Kaepernick, the chains were never ever put on to begin with.

Its amazing. For six years, all I ever heard or read was Smith sucks and needs to go. We finally have a QB who can be the guy that makes Smith go and yet, everyone here still wants Smith.

I dont get it. Its like you guys are so used to this team being sucky for the last decade that you just accept it. I'm sorry. I dont want to see close wins or ties. I want to see my beloved 49ers CRUSH the opposing team EVERY DAMN TIME!!! Granted, im probably the only one who feels that way but what can I say, im a sore loser and especially hate losing in crappy consertative ways. At least if we're aggressive and lose, its like okay but at least we went after the win instead of just expecting it to come to us.

Anyone who can say that they prefer close games with could go either way over tonight's thrashing of the Bears isnt a fan because as a fan, you want your team to win every game and if you want your team to win every game, you have to go with the players who give you the best damn chance of winning every game. Right now, I think that's Kaepernick. His arm strength alone is a huge positive and weapon that Smith cant give us even in our dreams. But like a said several times already, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

dan77733
11-20-2012, 12:16 AM
As for what Harbaugh said, I dont think that even he knows right now who'll start Sunday in NO against the offensive powered Saints. I do agree that whoever starts should just start. I hate flip flopping unless the QB gets injured then I can understand it.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Its amazing. For six years, all I ever heard or read was Smith sucks and needs to go. We finally have a QB who can be the guy that makes Smith go and yet, everyone here still wants Smith.

I dont get it. Its like you guys are so used to this team being sucky for the last decade that you just accept it. I'm sorry.

What I don't get is why you still think about the 49ers when they sucked? Smith has played pretty damn well the last 2 seasons. I'm looking at THAT player, not the one from 6 seasons ago.

I don't care who the QB is as long as the team is winning. What I won't do is actively politic for one to start over the other.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 12:23 AM
As for what Harbaugh said, I dont think that even he knows right now who'll start Sunday in NO against the offensive powered Saints. I do agree that whoever starts should just start. I hate flip flopping unless the QB gets injured then I can understand it.

And the media is running with the "I go with the hot hand. Colin has the hot hand." comment.

Sadly they're forgetting to mention that Harbaugh said "Alex also has the hot hand."

abaddon41_80
11-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Obviously Kaepernick played great but this is going to be a long week. People seem to want to just forget Smith's recent play and ignore that Kaepernick started playing worse as the game went along. Even with Kaepernick's performance last night, Smith has still been better the last two weeks. There is no reason for Kaepernick to be the starter right now.

I also love the reaction of the non-49ers fans here. When Smith played well he is a system QB, bus driver, etc. Kaepernick plays well and he is a HoFer. It is going to be a long week, though I suppose a QB controversy like this is better than what the Jets and Jaguars have.

Brent
11-20-2012, 06:41 AM
And the media is running with the "I go with the hot hand. Colin has the hot hand." comment.

Sadly they're forgetting to mention that Harbaugh said "Alex also has the hot hand."
they've got papers to sell

phlysac
11-20-2012, 08:26 AM
It is going to be a long week, though I suppose a QB controversy like this is better than what the Jets and Jaguars have.

Chad Henne just lit up the great Texans defense. Henne is clearly the future.

I pray for Kaepernick to be a stud, but small sample sizes are super scary.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Some numbers that confirm my believe that Kaepernick played worse as the game went along.

First three drives:
9/11, 158 yards, 1 TD

Rest of game:
7/12, 85 yards (44 YAC on the great run by Crabtree and great catch by Manningham), 1 TD

I am just not ready to anoint him when his play declined so drastically. The Bears prepared for Smith all week. Their gameplan was designed to stop the 49ers if Smith was playing.

VAfy-ya
11-20-2012, 10:32 AM
The thing is, these ppl clamoring for CK never saw him throw a NFL pass until last night. The haven't seen him struggled mightily with his accuracy. One game does not a career make nor break.

Look at the game. Most of his early throws, he was going to his first read. His first throw to MM, he missed Crabs come open in the middle of field. It's a process that's he is still learning. We don't have time for him to work through the growing pains of becoming a NFL starter. We're trying to win a Super Bowl here. Bears defense played excatly they way they expected. CK said it himself, they did pretty much what we saw on film. So what happens when the defense switches it up? He never saw multiple coverages. He never saw multiple fronts. A defense like the Cards or the Hawks will be a much different game for CK, and likely a very different degree of success. CK showed great progress in his development last night. But I still feel he isn't there yet. It would be different if saw something before last night as far as his passing that I thought he just needed some meaningful reps. But he looked SOOOOOOO much better as pocket passer last night than what we've previously seen, its hard for me to trust what I saw and think that he's finally turned the corner after one outing. Going on the road, in a hostile environment, is a different animal. I don't know if I trust CK to do that yet. There's no rush with this kid....and why ppl act like there is one is beyond me.

49ersfan_87
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Some numbers that confirm my believe that Kaepernick played worse as the game went along.

First three drives:
9/11, 158 yards, 1 TD

Rest of game:
7/12, 85 yards (44 YAC on the great run by Crabtree and great catch by Manningham), 1 TD

I am just not ready to anoint him when his play declined so drastically. The Bears prepared for Smith all week. Their gameplan was designed to stop the 49ers if Smith was playing.

7/12 for 85 yards with 44 YAC isn't even a bad game against the #1 pass defense. Keep in mind that includes 2 throwaway's due to pressure. Those are likely sacks with Alex, based on how he's played this year. Regardless, before the game you posted this

So quarterbacks against the Bears this year have a completion percentage of 58.8%, 215 YPG, 0.9 TD/game, 2.1 INT/game, and a 59.3 QB rating. That is not encouraging. I have a feeling that this is going to be a week filled with a lot of "bench Alex Smith" talk, even if he beats those averages and we win.

I find it hilarious you were preparing excuses for a bad QB performance before the game even begins, then have our backup QB blow these numbers out of the water and STILL then try to discredit a really good performance after you basically said our starter wasn't good enough to achieve that.

And Kaep had 44 YAC with Manningham and Crabs...Alex had over 60 YAC against the Seahawks in what was frankly a below average performance, and over 100 YAC against the Cardinals in a phenomenal performance. I didn't see you criticize him them.

I'm not going to get into a pointless Kaep/Alex debate, and part of the reason is because the point of this isn't me saying Kaep should start (Alex should when he gets healthy), this is me saying I feel you are really, really biased...

49ersfan_87
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
The thing is, these ppl clamoring for CK never saw him throw a NFL pass until last night. The haven't seen him struggled mightily with his accuracy. One game does not a career make nor break.

Look at the game. Most of his early throws, he was going to his first read. His first throw to MM, he missed Crabs come open in the middle of field. It's a process that's he is still learning. We don't have time for him to work through the growing pains of becoming a NFL starter. We're trying to win a Super Bowl here. Bears defense played excatly they way they expected. CK said it himself, they did pretty much what we saw on film. So what happens when the defense switches it up? He never saw multiple coverages. He never saw multiple fronts. A defense like the Cards or the Hawks will be a much different game for CK, and likely a very different degree of success. CK showed great progress in his development last night. But I still feel he isn't there yet. It would be different if saw something before last night as far as his passing that I thought he just needed some meaningful reps. But he looked SOOOOOOO much better as pocket passer last night than what we've previously seen, its hard for me to trust what I saw and think that he's finally turned the corner after one outing. Going on the road, in a hostile environment, is a different animal. I don't know if I trust CK to do that yet. There's no rush with this kid....and why ppl act like there is one is beyond me.

I would also go with Alex over Kaep because i feel he's more consistent. He was on a hot streak himself, only missing 2 passes the last few weeks (should have had some throwaways instead of the numerous sacks he took, but w/e). Kaep had the highs last night, but he's a young QB and as DC's get more film on him, his lows will show up sooner or later. Can we as a SB team withstand a young QB's lows? Maybe, maybe not, but when we have a consistent veteran presence who's doing well himself, we shouldn't have to find out.

I also would have said start Alex based on the locker room, but after Vernon's comments last night, i think its even between the 2 QB's at worst. Here's what he had to say

Davis' final catch, an 11-year reception in the fourth quarter, served as a strong endorsement of Kaepernick's skills.
"The ball he threw was one ball that Tom Brady throws," Davis said. "It was in the second window, right on the money. We've run that play many times and usually the tight end doesn't get the ball."

http://www.chicoer.com/49ers/ci_22030614/san-francisco-49ers-notebook-steve-young-ambivalent-toward

Overall, under Harbaugh Kaep is going to dominate fools for a while...in the future. Make this decision in the offseason and be confident that we can trot out either QB and win a game, no matter how good the opponent is. Start Alex when he's healthy.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
7/12 for 85 yards with 44 YAC isn't even a bad game against the #1 pass defense. Keep in mind that includes 2 throwaway's due to pressure. Those are likely sacks with Alex, based on how he's played this year. Regardless, before the game you posted this

I agree it isn't a bad game, but it isn't a good one either.

I find it hilarious you were preparing excuses for a bad QB performance before the game even begins, then have our backup QB blow these numbers out of the water and STILL then try to discredit a really good performance after you basically said our starter wasn't good enough to achieve that.

How is that preparing excuses? I did not think Alex would be anywhere near as bad as those numbers if he had played. When I heard Alex wasn't going to play I didn't think CK would be nearly that bad either. I am not trying to discredit anything, just to point out that as the game went along Kaepernick did start to play worse. That isn't encouraging because the most logical explanation for that would be that the Bears somewhat figured him out, and that was after less than two quarters of play.

And Kaep had 44 YAC with Manningham and Crabs...Alex had over 60 YAC against the Seahawks in what was frankly a below average performance, and over 100 YAC against the Cardinals in a phenomenal performance. I didn't see you criticize him them.

How many people actually gave credit to Alex for his performance against the Cardinals, though? All anyone talked about after that game was how much YAC the 49ers receivers got. They had 107 yards of YAC in that game, on 18 completions. Last night the 49ers receivers had 95 on 16 completions. That is 5.9 YAC/completion for both of them, and Alex Smith still had a higher YPA against the Cardinals, but no one has even mentioned the YAC from the receivers last night.

I'm not going to get into a pointless Kaep/Alex debate, and part of the reason is because the point of this isn't me saying Kaep should start (Alex should when he gets healthy), this is me saying I feel you are really, really biased...

I don't feel that I am biased. Kaepernick played great at the beginning of the game but started playing worse as it went along, that is a fact. Alex Smith has played just as well or better than Kaepernick in recent weeks, also a fact. My point is that the people asking for Kaepernick are crazy and have no reason to do so.

49ersfan_87
11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
I agree it isn't a bad game, but it isn't a good one either.

I don't feel that I am biased. Kaepernick played great at the beginning of the game but started playing worse as it went along, that is a fact.

Better than that what you expected before the game....but not good enough after the game. 7/12 for 85, 1 TD 0 INT is nothing special overall (although again, 2 throwaways>2 sacks). But remember you expected much worse from Alex and were prepared well beforehand to crucify anyone who criticized Alex for a potential poor game last night.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/270970157197844480

Jim Harbaugh will address the media (and the QB situation) on a conference call at 4:30 p.m. #49ers

Hopefully we get a little more clarity on the QB situation.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Better than that what you expected before the game....but not good enough after the game. If Alex had those numbers (7/12 for 85,1 TD 0 INT) , you were prepared to crucify anyone who criticized him, and stated so before the game.

What makes you think that is better than what I expected before the game? I expected Alex to complete around 64% of his passes and throw for like 225 with a couple of touchdowns and an interception and I expected the 49ers to win and I expected Smith to still be questioned. If Smith had completed under 60% of his passes with under 200 yards and the same amount of touchdowns as interceptions he certainly would have been questioned, though, and that was the point. No matter what Smith does he is questioned. He can vastly exceed expectations while playing much better than others have against a certain defense but people will still find ways to criticize him, like he did against the Cardinals. Even when those criticisms don't make sense

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
If you didn't know any better, you would assume this team is 4-6 or 5-5 and the starting QB isn't 3rd in the league in QB rating from the way you guys are talking.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
If you didn't know any better, you would assume this team is 4-6 or 5-5 and the starting QB isn't 3rd in the league in QB rating from the way you guys are talking.

Exactly the point, lol. Smith has played great for the most part this year. Outside of the flukey game against the Giants he has 13 touchdowns with only two interceptions while completing almost 72% of his passes with with 8.2 Y/A and a 114 QB rating. Even with that game his numbers are great. He literally has twice as many touchdowns as incomplete passes in his last two games.

Brent
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
my hypotheses:

a) Niners are going to say something about the concussion as a reason to not start Alex, combined with the short week, and see how Kaep does against the Saints. If he does well, they roll with him the rest of the way.

b) Alex starts and, unless he struggles, open competition in the off-season.

VAfy-ya
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
To switch gears a bit, I went over to the Saints board. I swear, they're one of the more excuse-driven fanbases I've seen. And most have no doubt they'll beat us Sunday. It's like a 2011 time-warp over there...

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/49ers-v-saints-2011-v-2012-why-saints-will-win-275379/index2.html

49ersfan_87
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
my hypotheses:

a) Niners are going to say something about the concussion as a reason to not start Alex, combined with the short week, and see how Kaep does against the Saints. If he does well, they roll with him the rest of the way.

b) Alex starts and, unless he struggles, open competition in the off-season.

I see this happening too. Although Kaepernick played great last night I am still scared to see what happens when dc's get more film on him though.

49ersfan_87
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
To switch gears a bit, I went over to the Saints board. I swear, they're one of the more excuse-driven fanbases I've seen. And most have no doubt they'll beat us Sunday. It's like a 2011 time-warp over there...

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/49ers-v-saints-2011-v-2012-why-saints-will-win-275379/index2.html

It's a tough game no doubt. I had this as a loss before the year. Road dome game, playoff type environment, I'm sure they've had this game circled on their calendar, etc

Depends which team shows up. I think harbaugh has the team fired up.

VAfy-ya
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
CK will start versus the Saints. Alex's health gives Harbaugh one more chance to evaluate CK. That allows CK to get all the first string reps this week and see how he responds on the road, in a hostile environment. The short-turnaround also allows for them to play it safe with Alex.
But I honestly feel Jimbaugh knows Alex is his starter....well at least I hope he feels that way. Switching QBs, this late into the year, with the aspirations we have will be disastrous. Mark my words....it will back-fire.

VAfy-ya
11-20-2012, 02:22 PM
It's a tough game no doubt. I had this as a loss before the year. Road dome game, playoff type environment, I'm sure they've had this game circled on their calendar, etc

Depends which team shows up. I think harbaugh has the team fired up.

Oh I agree. But they really believe we don't have a chance. Like our guys aren't motivated as well, hearing their former DC talk about tearing guys ACLs and beating players 'heads in'. It will be a tough game but that defense is still horrible and their O-Like has a few starters missing. And they just got to .500 so its not like that offense has been particularly dominant like they were. I just expected a little bit more humility I guess.

Borat
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Seriously guys, we should trust Harbaugh to put the QB out there that he feels gives us the best shot to win. I think he's earned that.

But **** yeah, we finally have a legit QB prospect. This makes me moist. I'm so amped on this team and the future looks so damn bright. I haz excite.

binary
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Colin Kaepernick is basically an incredibly smart version of Randall Cunningham in a GREAT system with great coaches....it's very exciting. I want to see him start one more game, just one to see if he can maintain this stuff.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Harbaugh's presser cancelled. Now we wait till 12:00/3:00EST to hear him answer the questions.

Madirishman
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Harbaugh's presser cancelled. Now we wait till 12:00/3:00EST to hear him answer the questions.

The (media) plot thickens.

Ness
11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Called in for 95.7 The Game LOL. Weird ending.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Called in for 95.7 The Game LOL. Weird ending.

??? Who did? Harbaugh? What was said?

Ness
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
??? Who did? Harbaugh? What was said?

I did. Shared my opinion. Was cut off after my time was up. Don't think I'm doing that again.

JordanTaber
11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
If Alex Smith had done what Kaepernick did against the Bears, all his fans would be kissing his ass non-stop.

Now I get to read the hilarious excuses for Kaepernick's success:

"Duhhhh, the Bears had a terrible defensive game plan."

"Duhhhh, the receivers were WIIIiiide open."

Yeah, because the ******* Buffalo Bills were just so great on defense in the game that is inflating Alex's numbers beyond belief this year. Because those dumpoff passes Alex threw where receivers made big plays after the catch were just so incredible against the Cardinals.

Alex neeeeeverrrrrr completes balls to wiiiide open receivers. Oh, no, never.

Hey, whaddaya know, Crabtree can kill teams after the catch on easy completions with Kaepernick, too. It wasn't Alex Smith's greatness after all.

Hey, whaddaya know, Delanie Walker dropped a pass down the field and nobody mentioned it this time and tried to add it into his stats. Because it's not Alex Smith who threw it.

Hey, whaddaya know, the running game gashed the Bears like they do everyone else with Kaepernick under center. Kaepernick audibled at the line and "kill kill kill"ed out the wazzu to just as great an effect as the supposedly brilliant audibilizing Alex did.

You want a small sample size...Alex Smith's "successful" 2012 is based on a 2 game sample.

phlysac
11-20-2012, 11:32 PM
If Alex Smith had done what Kaepernick did against the Bears, all his fans would be kissing his ass non-stop.

Now I get to read the hilarious excuses for Kaepernick's success:

"Duhhhh, the Bears had a terrible defensive game plan."

"Duhhhh, the receivers were WIIIiiide open."

Yeah, because the ******* Buffalo Bills were just so great on defense in the game that is inflating Alex's numbers beyond belief this year. Because those dumpoff passes Alex threw where receivers made big plays after the catch were just so incredible against the Cardinals.

Alex neeeeeverrrrrr completes balls to wiiiide open receivers. Oh, no, never.

Hey, whaddaya know, Crabtree can kill teams after the catch on easy completions with Kaepernick, too. It wasn't Alex Smith's greatness after all.

Hey, whaddaya know, Delanie Walker dropped a pass down the field and nobody mentioned it this time and tried to add it into his stats. Because it's not Alex Smith who threw it.

Hey, whaddaya know, the running game gashed the Bears like they do everyone else with Kaepernick under center. Kaepernick audibled at the line and "kill kill kill"ed out the wazzu to just as great an effect as the supposedly brilliant audibilizing Alex did.

You want a small sample size...Alex Smith's "successful" 2012 is based on a 2 game sample.

Hi Jordan! Miss you!

Borat
11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Aren't you the T.O. buttbuddy?

Ness
11-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Aren't you the T.O. buttbuddy?

Yes, that is him.

ViperVisor
11-21-2012, 01:42 AM
1st. It is great to see Kaep development. Preseason 2011 it was the project qb you saw. Very uncertain. Late and bad throws. Almost no touch.

2012 preseason had the highlight run but the passing was a big step up. Passes more on time and accurate. His swing and touch passes still hit and miss.

This game was nice to confirm the development.

Alex Smith did throw 45% of his TDs in 2 games.
Also 60% of his INTs came in 1 game.

The real issue always latched onto by the extreme Smith doubters is playoffs.
They just know he can't be a winning QB. Never mind in 2 games he had 5 TD passes. Yes, I wish that 1 more pass was made somewhere to win that 2nd game but didn't happen. The defense also didn't make that extra play. Or the special teams. You also need some luck to make it to the finish line in the NFL.

Tom Brady's Patriots got to a 2nd Super Bowl. With him throwing 3 TDs 2 INTs and pitiful yards in 5 games.

He couldn't even reach 2011 Alex 'game manager' Smith level of play.

Look at the scoring summaries.

Adam Vinatieri
Tom Brady *rush
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

Troy Brown *punt return
Drew Bledsoe
Antwan Harris *blocked field goal return
Adam Vinatieri

Ty Law *interception return
Tom Brady
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

Tom Brady
Antowain Smith
Adam Vinatieri

Tom Brady
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri
Safety
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

3 Def/ST/Backup QB scores same as 3 TD passes.

He did have a good game in the next one vs. Carolina. One of the worst Super Bowl teams ever.

OMG. Looking at it now is amazing. Regular Season point diff was +21 points, total.
The Playoffs...
Quincy Carter.
Marc Bulger 3 INTs.
McNabb 3 INTs + Koy Detmer 1 INT.

Back to Smith.

If he doesn't play good enough to help us win in the playoffs it sucks but that happens most of the time even with the bests.

I can watch every game Andrew Luck plays as a young QB with no NFL experience and it is up and down. You don't put in the backup when you currently have the #2 seed unless you have to.

Ness
11-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Quincy Carter's name has been dropped. Goodnight everyone.

JordanTaber
11-21-2012, 03:10 AM
1st. It is great to see Kaep development. Preseason 2011 it was the project qb you saw. Very uncertain. Late and bad throws. Almost no touch.

2012 preseason had the highlight run but the passing was a big step up. Passes more on time and accurate. His swing and touch passes still hit and miss.

This game was nice to confirm the development.

Alex Smith did throw 45% of his TDs in 2 games.
Also 60% of his INTs came in 1 game.

The real issue always latched onto by the extreme Smith doubters is playoffs.
They just know he can't be a winning QB. Never mind in 2 games he had 5 TD passes. Yes, I wish that 1 more pass was made somewhere to win that 2nd game but didn't happen. The defense also didn't make that extra play. Or the special teams. You also need some luck to make it to the finish line in the NFL.

Tom Brady's Patriots got to a 2nd Super Bowl. With him throwing 3 TDs 2 INTs and pitiful yards in 5 games.

He couldn't even reach 2011 Alex 'game manager' Smith level of play.

Look at the scoring summaries.

Adam Vinatieri
Tom Brady *rush
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

Troy Brown *punt return
Drew Bledsoe
Antwan Harris *blocked field goal return
Adam Vinatieri

Ty Law *interception return
Tom Brady
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

Tom Brady
Antowain Smith
Adam Vinatieri

Tom Brady
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri
Safety
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri
Adam Vinatieri

3 Def/ST/Backup QB scores same as 3 TD passes.

He did have a good game in the next one vs. Carolina. One of the worst Super Bowl teams ever.

OMG. Looking at it now is amazing. Regular Season point diff was +21 points, total.
The Playoffs...
Quincy Carter.
Marc Bulger 3 INTs.
McNabb 3 INTs + Koy Detmer 1 INT.

Back to Smith.

If he doesn't play good enough to help us win in the playoffs it sucks but that happens most of the time even with the bests.

I can watch every game Andrew Luck plays as a young QB with no NFL experience and it is up and down. You don't put in the backup when you currently have the #2 seed unless you have to.

Irrelevant, incongruent stats...and more irrelevant, incongruent stats.

All of that is meaningless. Alex Smith has had 8 years and he hasn't gotten any better since his second year in the league. Two games (where he didn't do anything special to attain the numbers) are what separate Alex Smith's 2012 from his fans polishing his reproductive organs and him having an abysmal year. It's time to move on.

Ness
11-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Irrelevant, incongruent stats...and more irrelevant, incongruent stats.

All of that is meaningless. Alex Smith has had 8 years and he hasn't gotten any better since his second year in the league. Two games (where he didn't do anything special to attain the numbers) are what separate Alex Smith's 2012 from his fans polishing his reproductive organs and him having an abysmal year. It's time to move on.

http://i.minus.com/ibyB5csn4hfQhZ.gif

VAfy-ya
11-21-2012, 04:12 AM
The level of ignorance in our fanbase is staggering at times. One great game from a Niner QB not named Alex Smith and the drones are out in full force when they've been oh so quiet for nearly a year and a half. I'd hate to see the .com boards right about now...one big orgy of irrational, venom-laced, biased, short-sighted rhetoric, I'm sure.

Brent
11-21-2012, 04:45 AM
that's a gif worth saving, Ness.

Madirishman
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
The level of ignorance in our fanbase is staggering at times. One great game from a Niner QB not named Alex Smith and the drones are out in full force when they've been oh so quiet for nearly a year and a half. I'd hate to see the .com boards right about now...one big orgy of irrational, venom-laced, biased, short-sighted rhetoric, I'm sure.

It's fans in general. It doesn't help with what they see and hear though, as there are suggestions and manipulation to breed that ignorance everywhere.

Does anyone else think that this QB 'hot hand' thing Harbaugh is doing is pretty much the status quo of what we should expect for the 'ol HC? He's backing a QB/player on his team with praise/optimism. He's not giving any more than necessary information in a possibly fluid situation. He's showing a little gamesmanship against the Saints, a team on the rise who represents a challenge to his team.

Sounds like Harbaugh to me. I don't think he'll go with Kap (yet) if Alex is cleared, but if he chooses to, I believe in Harbaugh and his choices. Kap is HIS guy that he picked to Draft and develop but in a lot of ways, Alex is HIS guy too, as Alex was a FA and all but gone from being in a Niner uni.

Brent
11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
At the gym this morning, in the hour I was on the bike, I saw something about Kaepernick (didn't have audio) at least three times during that 60 minute span. ******* ESPN just loooooooves QB controversy.

phlysac
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Sadly, people would rather be proven "right" about their dislike for a player than have their favorite team win. I have seen people more happy that Smith has played poorly in a loss than him play well in a win. Rather be "right" than win.

Madirishman
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
At the gym this morning, in the hour I was on the bike, I saw something about Kaepernick (didn't have audio) at least three times during that 60 minute span. ******* ESPN just loooooooves QB controversy.

Yes, the phrase "out-Tebowed Tebow" was flung around quite disgustingly recently. I've stopped watching a lot of the ESPN shows I used to because it's all about drama now, and not sports/quality reporting. It's kind of like when MTV many years ago thought it would be cool to stop playing music videos, yet still referred to themselves as 'music television.' Bleh.

binary
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
First off, I'm glad no one seems to give a crap about what Jordan has to say, kudos. No need for childish, rude, aggressive discussion here.

Secondly, the niner fanbase is absolutely insane....me included, I really want to see Kap play just one more game. I love that I've been proven right about Alex, and there is definitely an emotional attachment there - I mean it's been a long 8 years, I used to despise the guy - but the curiousity about Kap needs to be satisfied....the guycould be a human video game...a hard-working, accurate Randall Cunningham would be incredible.

VAfy-ya
11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
It's fans in general. It doesn't help with what they see and hear though, as there are suggestions and manipulation to breed that ignorance everywhere.

Does anyone else think that this QB 'hot hand' thing Harbaugh is doing is pretty much the status quo of what we should expect for the 'ol HC? He's backing a QB/player on his team with praise/optimism. He's not giving any more than necessary information in a possibly fluid situation. He's showing a little gamesmanship against the Saints, a team on the rise who represents a challenge to his team.

Sounds like Harbaugh to me. I don't think he'll go with Kap (yet) if Alex is cleared, but if he chooses to, I believe in Harbaugh and his choices. Kap is HIS guy that he picked to Draft and develop but in a lot of ways, Alex is HIS guy too, as Alex was a FA and all but gone from being in a Niner uni.

I'm not buying it. As a former QB in this league, he knew exactly what his words would create....controversy. He is absolutely considering sticking with CK for the rest of the way and I'm scared to death he will do it if CK plays even decent against the Saints.

VAfy-ya
11-21-2012, 01:57 PM
First off, I'm glad no one seems to give a crap about what Jordan has to say, kudos. No need for childish, rude, aggressive discussion here.

Secondly, the niner fanbase is absolutely insane....me included, I really want to see Kap play just one more game. I love that I've been proven right about Alex, and there is definitely an emotional attachment there - I mean it's been a long 8 years, I used to despise the guy - but the curiousity about Kap needs to be satisfied....the guycould be a human video game...a hard-working, accurate Randall Cunningham would be incredible.

I'm totally right there with you. But why now? Why does a team in the drivers seat for a #2, possibly a #1 seed in the playoffs need a QB change? I just don't like the timing off it. As one of Alex's biggest critics of his play early this season, he seemed to come out of that two game funk and was playing solid ball. Why isnt it enough to know that his work with CK is paying off and next year.....when you get to see young weapons like LMJ and Jenkins on the field with him, you know that the offense will be in good hands? What's the rush? I could understand if we were 6-4 or 5-5 and looking for a spark on that side of the ball to help catapult us to the playoffs. But we're doing just fine.

binary
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm totally right there with you. But why now? Why does a team in the drivers seat for a #2, possibly a #1 seed in the playoffs need a QB change? I just don't like the timing off it. As one of Alex's biggest critics of his play early this season, he seemed to come out of that two game funk and was playing solid ball. Why isnt it enough to know that his work with CK is paying off and next year.....when you get to see young weapons like LMJ and Jenkins on the field with him, you know that the offense will be in good hands? What's the rush? I could understand if we were 6-4 or 5-5 and looking for a spark on that side of the ball to help catapult us to the playoffs. But we're doing just fine.

The rush is that the NFL is extreme parity and our division is getting far more competitive..our window is small and some of the D players are getting older (including our anchor, Justin Smith). If CK can take the offense to heights where it can't be limited (Alex IS limited), then it's worth giving him a look. If the guy starts flubbing, you give Alex the keys for the rest of the way. Sure being pulled due to injury should theoretically demoralize Alex, but the guy has an iron will, nothing demoralizes the guy...he's been through it all, he can survive one game vs. the Saints.

Ness
11-21-2012, 02:05 PM
They don't need a change. Colin Kaepernick said himself that one game dosen't make a "hot hand". The 49ers are in prime position to get at least the #2 seed. No need to change to someone that had one great game when the person who has started the majority of the games has played just fine.

Brent
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
It's kind of like when MTV many years ago thought it would be cool to stop playing music videos, yet still referred to themselves as 'music television.' Bleh.
This is off topic, but I am about to throw you for a loop, I hope:

9ysyZF-DZFY

VAfy-ya
11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
The rush is that the NFL is extreme parity and our division is getting far more competitive..our window is small and some of the D players are getting older (including our anchor, Justin Smith). If CK can take the offense to heights where it can't be limited (Alex IS limited), then it's worth giving him a look. If the guy starts flubbing, you give Alex the keys for the rest of the way. Sure being pulled due to injury should theoretically demoralize Alex, but the guy has an iron will, nothing demoralizes the guy...he's been through it all, he can survive one game vs. the Saints.

Totally disagree. You go back to CK, there's no going back to Alex. If you make that move, you eat it....that's why its a stupid move. Of course Alex is limited. We can still win with him though(and I mean the SB). The Saints game is different because Alex isn't healthy at this point so its another test run for CK. I'm talking about going with CK for the rest of the season and the playoffs, even if Alex is healthy. I don't see a 2nd year QB, no matter how physically gifted he is, with limited experience and still very raw, leading this team to a SB. I don't see it happening. So that window you were talking about, its the same thing wasting on a player who possibly isn't ready yet. You don't know how CK will respond to certain situations because he hasn't been in too many. The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season.

VAfy-ya
11-21-2012, 02:30 PM

9ysyZF-DZFY

I've seen this a ton before but it never gets old lol....

JordanTaber
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Sadly, people would rather be proven "right" about their dislike for a player than have their favorite team win. I have seen people more happy that Smith has played poorly in a loss than him play well in a win. Rather be "right" than win.

And I've seen supposed "49ers fans" (who are really just Alex Smith fans at this point) posting prior to the game that they were "worried" about a QB controversy if Kaepernick played well and they admitted to being "conflicted" over what to hope for as far as the outcome of the game.

And now I'm seeing supposed "49ers fans" more worried about poor Alex Smith than enjoying the victory or the obvious upgrade at quarterback. And rather than praising Kaepernick, I'm reading posts from these supposed "49ers fans" making excuses like, "Kaepernick had great pass protection" and, "the receivers ran great routes for Kaepernick!"

It's absolutely hilarious. If Alex Smith had had this game, it would be proof of his legendary greatness. Bu since it was Kaepernick, it was just him hitting a bunch of wide open receivers and doing what any QB should do.

But Alex Smith's Bills game was just sooooo incredible. Alex Smith's Cardinals game was undeniably awesommmmme.

And for the record, games like this aren't really where you should place your emphasis in evaluating quarterbacks. It's games in adverse conditions that count.

And Alex Smith has proven he is awful in adverse conditions. Kaepernick remains untested in those conditions, but we know Alex Smith isn't the answer. It's time to ******* move on. He sucked against the Jets, he sucked against the Vikings, he sucked against the Seahawks, and he sucked against the Giants. That's not "just fine."

JordanTaber
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM

You think anyone gives a crap about what you have to say? I'm pretty much the only one on any message board who even acknowledges your existence.

Your opinions change like the weather, and I hate to break it to you, but people notice that. Nobody cares what you say when you go from "Alex has proven me right, he's awesome! Haters gon' hate, he's a Top 10 QB!" in week 2 to saying, "God, Alex pisses me off! He was REALLY bad, it's probably time to start thinking about putting Kaepernick in there" in week 3.

binary
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Totally disagree. You go back to CK, there's no going back to Alex. If you make that move, you eat it....that's why its a stupid move. Of course Alex is limited. We can still win with him though(and I mean the SB). The Saints game is different because Alex isn't healthy at this point so its another test run for CK. I'm talking about going with CK for the rest of the season and the playoffs, even if Alex is healthy. I don't see a 2nd year QB, no matter how physically gifted he is, with limited experience and still very raw, leading this team to a SB. I don't see it happening. So that window you were talking about, its the same thing wasting on a player who possibly isn't ready yet. You don't know how CK will respond to certain situations because he hasn't been in too many. The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season.

I think I am just talking about the Saints game. JH cn essentially rest Alex and give CK another test run, which is what I want to see. I'll make a judgement on CK after that...I still dont' really know what we have there.

Madirishman
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM

9ysyZF-DZFY

No, I get their business model and revenue sources. I'm likely not their target demo anymore but I still think they should re-brand at some point to something more relevant to what they do. Not a clear correlation to ESPN but hopefully you understand the point I was trying to make. I believe I am definitely within ESPN's demo and they aren't as successful in reaching me as they once were.

QBRatingSucks
11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
It's pretty clear to anyone with a brain(doesn't apply to fine, upstanding members of society like binary and phlysac) that Kaepernick has miles more potential than Alex Smith does.

This was kaepernick's 1st start, and he already blows Smith away in terms of pocket presence. Keep in mind, he's a year and a half removed from taking snaps out of the pistol. Yet, his footwork(especially his drop step) is a HUGE difference from Smith, who can not execute a drop step or hitch step properly to save his life.

Now we get to the arm strength and accuract factor, another category where he beats Smith. Kaepernick is a MAJOR threat to throw AND run while he's on the move, and Smith is neither. The Crabtree improv TD is a play that Alex Smith will never make, because he's a milquetoast coward who plays well within the scheme but cannot create plays himself. He's the david Garrard of this generation, and that's being kind to Smith.

Fans(especially liberal, hipster, SF fans) have a tendency to wash the nuts of players who are "good guys" even if they're not all that talented. Add in the sob story about Smith having to deal with evil mike nolan, and the homosexual sympathy factor clouts a lot of their judgement. They probably see Kaepernick with all those tattoos and start whimpering at the thought of such a bad ass playing quarterback for their team.

TL;DR- Smith is average and is a David Garrard, while Kaepernick has Roethlisberger upside.

Madirishman
11-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm not buying it. As a former QB in this league, he knew exactly what his words would create....controversy. He is absolutely considering sticking with CK for the rest of the way and I'm scared to death he will do it if CK plays even decent against the Saints.

I believe he knows what he's doing as well but I think Alex's health is a factor in him not being as definitive. Kap is likely the future so why would Harbaugh come out after that MNF performance and say "Alex is definitely our starter" when Alex's availability is uncertain and Kap's confidence is up? Harbaugh is much more concerned with how his players perceive him than what the media thinks. If Alex is cleared, I don't believe he'll go with Kap yet but if he does, I support his decision. In Harbaugh I've trusted since Day 1.

phlysac
11-21-2012, 03:19 PM
It's pretty clear to anyone with a brain(doesn't apply to fine, upstanding members of society like binary and phlysac)

Internet badassery as usual. Always following Jordan around like a sheep. Even Michonne cut her pets heads off.

Brent
11-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Fans(especially liberal, hipster, SF fans) have a tendency to wash the nuts of players who are "good guys" even if they're not all that talented. Add in the sob story about Smith having to deal with evil mike nolan, and the homosexual sympathy factor clouts a lot of their judgement. They probably see Kaepernick with all those tattoos and start whimpering at the thought of such a bad ass playing quarterback for their team.
http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

Ness
11-21-2012, 03:23 PM
It's pretty clear to anyone with a brain(doesn't apply to the 49ers News pussies like binary and phlysac) that Kaepernick has miles more potential than Alex Smith does.

This was kaepernick's 1st start, and he already blows Smith away in terms of pocket presence. Keep in mind, he's a year and a half removed from taking snaps out of the pistol. Yet, his footwork(especially his drop step) is a HUGE difference from Smith, who can not execute a drop step or hitch step properly to save his life.

Now we get to the arm strength and accuract factor, another category where he beats Smith. Kaepernick is a MAJOR threat to throw AND run while he's on the move, and Smith is neither. The Crabtree improv TD is a play that Alex Smith will never make, because he's a milquetoast coward who plays well within the scheme but cannot create plays himself. He's the david Garrard of this generation, and that's being kind to Smith.

TL;DR- Smith is average and is a David Garrard, while Kaepernick has Roethlisberger upside.

http://i.minus.com/iJCMXbmOMPFw5.gif

phlysac
11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.ehomegolf.com/images/b_par30-02.jpg

binary
11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Without getting too political, I'm pretty sure CK embodies everything liberals want to see...dude is a shining example of diversity and equal opportunity. The liberal hip hop fans on .com love the guy in all his tatted glory.

JordanTaber
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
http://i.minus.com/iJCMXbmOMPFw5.gif

Most of us outgrew memes when we turned 20.

Ness
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Most of us outgrew memes when we turned 20.

http://i.minus.com/ibgLFWtx9B4LwP.gif

Borat
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Damn, I was gone for a while today and I missed some fireworks. I hate that.

binary
11-21-2012, 05:43 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibgLFWtx9B4LwP.gif

Scott Lolzien.

Borat
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Aldon is such a beastimal. Already has 1 more sack (15) than his super impressive rookie year (14) and he's got 6 more games to add to that number. Such a badass.

phlysac
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Aldon is such a beastimal. Already has 1 more sack (15) than his super impressive rookie year (14) and he's got 6 more games to add to that number. Such a badass.

Too bad he's clearly inferior to Von Miller.

Nice editing magic, btw, Borat! ;)

Brent
11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
6 games to get 7.5?

Ness
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM

It will be interesting to see if he challenges Michael Strahan's sack record.

Madirishman
11-22-2012, 09:24 AM
It will be interesting to see if he challenges Michael Strahan's sack record.

Challenges? He already is challenging it.

Regis' replacement will be #2 soon. Aldon is on a mission and he already had his signature game. With Justin Smith taking double teams and opening up opportunities, Aldon has more than enough talent to do the rest. He was so impressive Monday night, showing he could bull rush, finesse around and through lineman, chase down the QB and even help collapse the pocket. Impressive. Von Miller is a hell of a talent and it was obvious that he was an overall better defensive player than Aldon last year (as Aldon was used primarily as a non-starter specialist), but Aldon has closed that gap and will soon prove that he is the better of the two. They will both be elite for a long time.

Madirishman
11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.ehomegolf.com/images/b_par30-02.jpg

This wins Phlysac. Conversation over.

dan77733
11-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Internet badassery as usual. Always following Jordan around like a sheep. Even Michonne cut her pets heads off.

Walking Dead baby!!! :)

Ness
11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
This wins Phlysac. Conversation over.

I don't even know what the **** that is.

phlysac
11-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't even know what the **** that is.

http://www.paraide.com/Portals/0/CVStoreImages/ballwasher_annotated_540.gif

Ness
11-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Still lost.

Borat
11-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Still lost.

That aggressive guy from "Not SWDC" said something abrasive like "Alex Smith ballwashers" etc. so Phlysac posted a picture of a ballwasher.

Pretty solid.

phlysac
11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
C'mon Ness. Don't be TebowFan on Thanksgiving :P

Ness
11-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Hmm...well I guess now I know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GJrvfChO8rw/T2t8383XpOI/AAAAAAAAA20/ZiUrQdfKCcw/s1600/mark-wahlberg-shocked-gif.gif

Madirishman
11-22-2012, 11:16 PM
It's a ball washer. Let's move on.