PDA

View Full Version : Draft/Off-Season 2013

Pages : [1] 2

RCAChainGang
11-22-2012, 04:21 AM
EDIT: Title should be 2013

So I came home for thanksgiving break and I just started to look at prospects. I by no means am a draft guru so I thought I'd start this thread and we could collaborate on what we think we will see on draft day.

Needs
Offensive: Oline, Physical WR,
Defensive: DE/OLB, NT, DE(5-Tech), SS, CB

Players
Offensive: First Round: Chance Warmack OG
Defensive: First Round: Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Kawann Short NT, Eric Reid FS, Jonathan Banks CB.

Unfortunately we have traded a lot of picks.
Our Picks: 1, 3, 4, 6(conditional), 7(conditional)

Again by no means am I a draft expert so lets get some conversations started. Happy Thanksgiving guys.

falloutboy14
11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
What are our chances at a compensatory pick? Saturday & Clark were our notable FAs correct? I think that Redding/others might count enough against that.

For WR, I think we really just need another #1 type to replace Wayne, unless someone we got can step up into that role.. I'm happy with Hilton/Avery/Brazil at the other spot/slot. It's possible that we have success with a TE-centered offense with Allen & Fleener, and as long as we have the deep threat to stretch the defense we can be successful.

I'm growing on Shipley at center. If one falls in our lap take him, but Castonzo/Reitz/Shipley/???/??? is what we should be working with imo. No clue what's going on with Ijalana, but ready to move on if he doesn't show something next training camp. If we can get a RT in free agency, and use the 3rd or 4th rounder on RG, I think we'd be in a good position moving forward.

For the defensive line, not happy with anyone who's been playing thus far except Redding, and he's 32. It's possible that the players haven't fully grasped the transition to the 3-4 yet. And Pagano being out is perhaps a part of that. I think that finding talent through the draft or FA and using our present starters for depth is a good plan.

Also, what have people though of Hughes the last few weeks? Has he sucked less recently? I'm thinking our draft pick/cap money would be better spent on the D-line and see what Hughes can do in that setting. In short I thnk we could use a Richard Seymour more than a Demarcus Ware.

I think the ILBs are fine going forward. At safety, I wouldn't mind having a 2nd free-safety type. I tend to think once the rest of the defense is in place, we're going to have more issues with the pass than the run. Finding a player who can play centerfield would be better than someone who can thump a running back. Bethea is capable of playing near the LoS if needed.

RCAChainGang
11-22-2012, 07:51 PM
For WR, I think we really just need another #1 type to replace Wayne, unless someone we got can step up into that role.. I'm happy with Hilton/Avery/Brazil at the other spot/slot. It's possible that we have success with a TE-centered offense with Allen & Fleener, and as long as we have the deep threat to stretch the defense we can be successful.

Yeah I think we are fine at waiting a while on WR. I put WR on the list of needs because we will eventually need a replacement to Wayne and it seems we just have a lot of speeders (which isn't bad).

I'm growing on Shipley at center. If one falls in our lap take him, but Castonzo/Reitz/Shipley/???/??? is what we should be working with imo. No clue what's going on with Ijalana, but ready to move on if he doesn't show something next training camp. If we can get a RT in free agency, and use the 3rd or 4th rounder on RG, I think we'd be in a good position moving forward.

I haven't been able to see enough games to be sure how everyone is playing. I only know what other fans tell me and what I see from highlights. I agree completely with you on a plan of action though. I think we should pick someone up in free agency and maybe draft someone. I really like the tape I have seen of Warmack.

For the defensive line, not happy with anyone who's been playing thus far except Redding, and he's 32. It's possible that the players haven't fully grasped the transition to the 3-4 yet. And Pagano being out is perhaps a part of that. I think that finding talent through the draft or FA and using our present starters for depth is a good plan.

Again I don't get to see the games, but I think there is so much potential in this draf class for defensive lineman and pass rushers. I think my favorite prospect right now is Dion Jordan he seems to be an excellent pass rusher. However, we do need some 5 techs to demand some blocking attention or o pass rusher will end up helping. So yeah I think someone like Seymour would be a huge help.

I think the ILBs are fine going forward. At safety, I wouldn't mind having a 2nd free-safety type. I tend to think once the rest of the defense is in place, we're going to have more issues with the pass than the run. Finding a player who can play centerfield would be better than someone who can thump a running back. Bethea is capable of playing near the LoS if needed.

I absolutely agree with you about our ILBs. We need a Safety that is good in coverage. The reason I'm so high on Reid is because he is a smart player. I think he is someone we can be sure to make an impact.

MaxV
12-02-2012, 04:56 PM
The good news is that this draft is deep in positions that we need (DL, OLB, OL). I hope we take advantage.

BTW, what do you guys think about our NTs? I actually think they've held their ground ok. They are nothing special, but I think we can go with them for 1 more year.

Cb is a bigger need then what I thought. Our starters can't stay healthy and aren't all that good to begin with. It's no surprise that we are among the last teams in INTs. We need playmaker(s) in the secondary.

Hughes isn't an every-down player. If Freeney is gone, we'll need another starting OLB.

Today's game vs. Lions further showed weaknesses on our O-Line.

DE is one of the most underrated and valuable positions in 3-4. If you can find a guy who can constantly disrupt plays in the backfield, it gives you a big boost.

RagingColt
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Johnson has played ok at nt but no one else really sticks out much. Chapman will be basically like a rookie next year but I still think we might go for a late round pick to fill depth. A true pass rushing OLB is a must. Freeny won't be back, Hughes still plays too uneven to be depended on and teams double team Mathis to negate him if Freeny is hurt/not playing. We need upgrades at about every spot for the other positions on our lines. Our interior O-Line blows chunks. Warmack would be a great pick as a 1st rounder if he lasted that long.

MaxV
12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Personally, I'm of opinion that guard position doesn't need to addressed in the 1st round, unless it's a once-a-generation talent.

I don't know if I see Warmack as another Hutchinson.

killxswitch
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Lots of thoughts to post here, hopefully it will be coherent.

Needs
Offensive: Oline, Physical WR,

OL is definitely a need. I like Castonzo just fine at LT. I like Shipley a lot and would like him to play C. Other than that, I'm fine with new starters everywhere on the OL. Reitz can't stay on the field. McGlynn is bad. Justice is mediocre and can't stay on the field. Satele is too inconsistent.

There are a few guys in the draft I'm interested in. Chance Warmack is at the top of the list. However, it is a bummer to spend our 1st rounder on a guard and then not pick again til the 3rd. I am also interested in guys like Larry Warford, Travis Frederick (if he declares), Jonathan Cooper, DJ Fluker (RT or guard), Barrett Jones, and Alvin Bailey.

There's also free agency. There are no guards I'm terribly interested in. Louis Vasquez (SD), Shaun Lauvao (CLE), Andre Smith (CIN), and Andy Levitre (BUF) are all decent but nothing great. However at OT there are multiple talented guys in contract years:

Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Duane Brown
Sebastian Vollmer
Branden Albert

As I said I am not looking to replace Castonzo. But with $45 million in cap space it makes sense to upgrade the roster wherever possible. I don't think all of those guys will be available. Some will re-sign and others will be tagged. Hopefully though the Colts have a shot at one of them.

Defensive: DE/OLB, NT, DE(5-Tech), SS, CB

I don't know about the order but I agree with the need. Really ILB is the only spot I feel good about on this defense. I am ok with the following players as starters next year:

Redding
possibly Moala (if he can consistently play like he did in his last game)
Mathis
Freeman
Conner/Angerer/Fokou (seriously love the ILB talent we have)
Davis
Bethea

Chapman may be the answer at NT, and I like Mookie and Tevaseu as depth, but if there's a good NT prospect available we can't ignore it. However, with no shot at Lotulelei or Hankins it's basically Jenkins or nobody, and I'm not sure Jenkins is worth our 1st rounder. In free agency Terrance Knighton may become available but he's only played 4-3 DT/NT.

-----

Freeney has not been great as an OLB and I just don't think he ever wanted to play the position. I doubt he will be re-signed and even though he is my favorite Colt I don't think he should be. Hughes, though he has improved, is depth-only material. He will never start, or at least shouldn't.

I love the rush OLB options available in this draft. Jarvis Jenkins, Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Damontre Moore, Sam Montgomery, Zeek Ansah, Chase Thomas... we'll have a lot of options in the 1st I think. Good options. I think this almost has to be the pick unless there is unbelievable value somewhere else. All but possibly the last two will be gone by the 3rd when we pick. This is a great year to need a pass rusher, but lots of teams need them.

In free agency there is the underrated-but-old Shaun Phillips, Conner Barwin (meh), and... that's about it. It's draft or nothing, which is again why I think we need to draft an OLB in the 1st. Too much talent available, arguably the biggest need, and no options in free agency.

-----

As I mentioned earlier, I like Redding and Moala as starters if Moala can play like he was during the Bills game. I think he improved this year. However, Redding is old and gets hurt a lot, and Moala is no pro bower. If the Colts went after Randy Starks (MIA) to play DE I would not be upset, he'd be an upgrade over either of our starters.

In the draft there's Sheldon Richardson, Kawaan Short (I don't see him as a NT), Shariff Floyd, and I think that's about it. I've heard good things about Richardson but nothing to make me want him more than one of the OLBs. Short and Floyd are ok prospects but nothing I'm super excited about. I don't expect this position to get much stronger.

-----

We definitely need CBs. Davis will be good and Butler may be the NB of the future but Vaughn is a backup, Powers won't be re-signed, and the rest of the guys are just JAGs. Too bad we gave up picks (albeit low ones) to get some of them. However, there aren't any CBs in this draft that make me want to burn a 1st. Especially when you look at free agency...

Brent Grimes (ATL)
Sean Smith (MIA)
Quinten Jammer (SD)
Sam Shields (GB)
DRC (Philly)
Tracy Porter (NO)
Derek Cox (JAX)

We need to put some of that $45 million toward one of those guys. I think the CB value in this draft is in the mid rounds.

At safety, there are a few options. In free agency you've got

William Moore (ATL)
Jairus Byrd (BUF)
LaRon Landry (NYJ)
Louis Delmas (DET)

Any of those guys (especially Moore, I'm a big fan) paired with Bethea makes the backfield instantly very dangerous. Bethea can play either S position so it comes down to available talent. No need to look for SS only.

In the draft, I do really like Eric Reid. Robert Lester too, if he falls to the 3rd. TJ McDonald, Kenny Vacarro, and Bacari Rambo are also all solid options. I think the Colts will have a better starter at S to play w/Bethea next year. Too many options and Zbikowski sucks too bad to leave it alone.

Well this post has turned into a book. Hopefully it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think. This season has been exciting, but it's also very exciting to think about how much better we can be next year!

MaxV
12-02-2012, 11:48 PM
At this point, Bethea might be better off playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

He seems to have lost a step in coverage, but still supports the run as well as ever.

chad72
12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
At this point, Bethea might be better off playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

He seems to have lost a step in coverage, but still supports the run as well as ever.

Yep, Bethea plays like a strong safety now. That is why a draft pick like Eric Reid makes sense.

We gave up a 2nd and a conditional 6th for Vontae Davis.

Conditional 6th rounders are normally based on playing time, early conditional picks are based on players making Pro Bowl, at least that is my educated guess.

So, I'd go like this:

Round 1: Eric Reid, FS, LSU

Round 3: Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame

Round 4: Lerentee McCray, OLB, Florida

Round 6: Alex Hurst, 6'6", 331, LSU/John Wetzel, 6'7", 308, Boston College (I love Boston College guys for O-line :), they produce good NFL OLs)

Of course, for Garcon, Saturday and Clark, I expect a 5th, 6th & 7th rounder as compensatory picks. Garcon is a high impact free agent. When Edge left, we got a 3rd round compensatory pick, the highest that you can get. Because Garcon is injured, a 5th is what I am expecting. Saturday is the center for a playoff bound team, so a 6th at least is in order. Clark has had the least impact and a 7th rounder at best, much like Punter Smith.

Cardinal96
12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Yep, Bethea plays like a strong safety now. That is why a draft pick like Eric Reid makes sense.

Conditional 6th rounders are normally based on playing time, early conditional picks are based on players making Pro Bowl, at least that is my educated guess.

So, I'd go like this:

Round 6: Alex Hurst, 6'6", 331, LSU/John Wetzel, 6'7", 308, Boston College (I love Boston College guys for O-line :), they produce good NFL OLs)

Of course, for Garcon, Saturday and Clark, I expect a 5th, 6th & 7th rounder as compensatory picks. Garcon is a high impact free agent. When Edge left, we got a 3rd round compensatory pick, the highest that you can get. Because Garcon is injured, a 5th is what I am expecting. Saturday is the center for a playoff bound team, so a 6th at least is in order. Clark has had the least impact and a 7th rounder at best, much like Punter Smith.

Vontae Davis has really impressed me so far. I think giving up a 2nd round and conditional 6th round pick is a good trade for him.

Seamus2602
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM

So, I'd go like this:

The Colts have also signed a fair amount of Free Agents so there aren't a huge amount they are going to get through comp picks. Additionally Dallas Clark wasn't a free agent. He was cut.

Jeff Saturday and Sampson Satele cancel each other out. Both starters with similar contracts ($3.8M compared to $3.6M).

Of the remainder the Colts had 5 Free Agents and signed 5 Free Agents. The total yearly cost of the contracts of the Colts' free agents was about $14M. The free agents the Colts signed are worth about $8M. So the Colts may get something but it will be limited and purely for Garcon (who hasn't exactly had the sort of stellar year that prompts high comp picks).

I'd expect nothing greater than a 5th or 6th rounder and only that.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-13-2012, 08:59 AM

So, I'd go like this:

...No just no...

falloutboy14
12-13-2012, 09:28 AM
I think any draft prediction should bear in mind that we have ~30m or so to pick up a few free agent starters. Its impossible to say who will be available in FA, and where will be the wise positions to spend money. If we get 2 starting caliber offensive linemen and a 5-tech, I'd be ok with a secondary heavy draft.

killxswitch
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
It's closer to $50 million than $30 million. And it's not really impossible, it's easy to find out who is in a contract year, and we can guess at who will and won't be re-signed.

I doubt the Dolphins can afford to keep Sean Smith, Jake Long, and Randy Starks, so whoever they have to let walk, we should sign.

RagingColt
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's a list of players compiled by Phil Wilson of the Star who are in contract years/unsigned for 2013. Players in Bold are ones I doubt will be resigned or shouldn't be.

Colts contract years (position, player name, 2012 cap hit)

OLB Dwight Freeney $19 million
RT Winston Justice $1.5 million
CB Jerraud Powers $1.477 million
WR Austin Collie $1.417 million
P Pat McAfee $1.323 million
DT Fili Moala $900,000
QB Drew Stanton $750,000
WR Donnie Avery $615,000
LB Moise Fokou $615,000
OL Jeff Linkenbach $546,667
CB Cassius Vaughn $540,000
OG Seth Olsen $540,000
CB Josh Gordy $540,000
DT Ricardo Mathews $540,000
LG Joe Reitz $540,000
NT Martin Tevaseu $465,000
LB A.J. Edds $465,000
LB Scott Lutrus $465,000

Guys who weren’t with the team full season
CB Darius Butler
DE Clifton Geathers
DE Lawrence Guy
DT Kellen Heard
OT Tony Hills
S Delano Howell
RB Deji Karim
RB Mewelde Moore
TE Weslye Saunders
OT Bradley Sowell
WR Nathan Palmer
LB Jamaal Westerman
CB Teddy Williams

Of those, Pat the Punter should be #1 to be resigned as I agree with Phil. Avery would be welcomed back for a one year deal, I don't think sinking $ on him to a long term deal is necessarily good considering his injury history. I'm ok with Stanton as a backup for another year. Reitz and Linken could come back to compete for spots assuming we draft a few lineman. Same goes for Matthews and Fili.

O-Line and D-Lines really need addressed in the draft/FA. We still have too many needs to be all filled in another off season.

Seamus2602
12-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Assuming a $120.9M cap, I have the Colts sitting at the moment with 41 players signed and $50.6M in cap room. Now a certain amount of that will be used to sign Rookies ($3-4M depending where the Colts finish in the playoffs). There may also be a certain amount of dead cap from cuts and trades (though no one big got this so this can be no more than a $1M or so, if even anywhere near that). So there should be somewhere in the region of $45M to sign free agents.

Seamus2602
12-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I would also argue going into next season the Colts need 12 starters (4 on Offense [3 of whom are on the line], 6 on Defense, and 2 on Special Teams): They are:

Offense

Offensive Tackle (either a RT, or a LT and move Castonzo)
2 Offensive Guards
Wide Receiver (preferably a big red zone threat)

Defense

5-Tech
Nose Tackle (maybe Chapman)
Rush Linebacker
Cornerback
Nickleback (Vaughn is a RFA so he may fit here)
Strong Safety

Special Teams

Punter
Snapper (Overton is a RFA so this is easy enough)

RCAChainGang
12-14-2012, 02:52 AM
I think at this point a Pass Rusher is our biggest need. Dion Jordan I think has the best motor of the likely available people at our draft spot. I'm not sure Ansah would be a stud rookie, but he has a ton of upside. Crossing my fingers for Jordan/Jones/Montgomery/Mingo to fall

MaxV
12-14-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't think we need a starting WR.

killxswitch
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I would also argue going into next season the Colts need 12 starters (4 on Offense [3 of whom are on the line], 6 on Defense, and 2 on Special Teams): They are:

Offense

Offensive Tackle (either a RT, or a LT and move Castonzo)
2 Offensive Guards
Wide Receiver (preferably a big red zone threat)

Agree about a tackle and 2 OGs. I am hoping we pry Jake Long away from the Dolphins. The question then would be, is he a LT or RT? To me though it doesn't matter that much, both positions are important and there aren't going to be that many available good OLmen in free agency. Most will be re-signed or tagged by their current teams. Even if we have a shot at Warmack in the draft I am not sure I want to burn our 1st on a guard when we don't have a 2nd rounder.

I would not mind bringing in Bowe or Jennings at WR. Or even Danny Amendola. But I don't think WR is nearly the need that OL is.

Defense

5-Tech
Nose Tackle (maybe Chapman)
Rush Linebacker
Cornerback
Nickleback (Vaughn is a RFA so he may fit here)
Strong Safety

I think we could stand to upgrade DE, but if we go into next season with Redding and Moala as starters I don't think that is bad. Redding is the leader this defense needs, and Moala has really improved. I like our DE depth just fine. This is not a huge need IMO, but if say Randy Starks hit free agency I could see us going after him.

And as much as I wanted Star Lotulelei when I thought the Colts would have a top 10 pick, I think we are fine at NT. Mookie and Tevaseu have held the position down fine. We will get two "new" guys at NT in Chapman and McKinney next year. Terrance Knighton is the only real option in free agency and I don't want to burn an early pick on NT. I think the starter at NT next year is already on the roster, and like DE I like our depth. I've seen real improvement from many of our DLmen this year.

Rush OLB is the biggest need on defense, maybe the #1 need overall. Freeney has improved his run defense this year but he is not getting to the QB. All the close games aren't helping but he also just isn't a good fit. Anthony Spencer and Connor Barwin are the top FA options but I'm not really interested. I am with RCA, I hope for one of the premier pass rushers to fall to us. It's a deep class so I think there's a good chance.
[/quote]

Special Teams

Punter

Huh? If we re-sign McAfee (why the hell wouldn't we?) we are beyond set at punter.

MaxV
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
1. OG ... we can't go with the same group next year, just can't
2. OLB ... not enough pass rush
3. SS ... playmakers in the secondary are needed
4. RT ... I can live with Justice for one more year, but not much longer then that
5. CB ... Davis is a starter. Vaughn and Butler are more of NBs. Depth is mediocre
6. DE ... Our current guys are good against the run, but it would help to get someone who can rush the passer

chad72
12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Free agency:

I think money in free agency spent on DL and OL has the best bang for the buck since it takes more time for DL and OL to transition to the NFL than any other positions, especially OG and DT.

My free agent likes:

Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers; Keenan Lewis, CB, Steelers

Matt Slauson, OG, Jets; Louis Vasquez, OG, Chargers (both fit Arians' man blocking schemes)

Richard Seymour, DE/DT (depends on how much he wants)

Anthony Spencer, OLB (most likely Freeney is gone because he will want 4-3 DE money and not 3-4 OLB money, Freeney probably goes to the Falcons or Saints, IMO)

Skill positions, pass rushers - all or most should come from the draft, IMO. For some reason, once the WRs and RBs get their money, their production never lives up to the same level like they did when they were hungrier and playing for that contract. Hence, our best bet is still draft for those.

RCAChainGang
12-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah I'm really hoping we can just address the secondary with FA. LaRon LAndry would be somebody I would like to see on the Colts. And if Sean Smith or DRC aren't resigned I would love to see one of them a Colt.

falloutboy14
12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
We also should look into getting Vontae Davis a new deal this off-season. Maybe we can get a minor discount since we got one more year on the cheap and he'll want some guaranteed money.

I'm pretty pleased with the receiving options moving forward. Hilton looks like a #2 at worst and we're only at the end of his first season. I think he, Fleener, and Allen can get the job done assuming the pass protection is there. If we do lose Brown this off-season or next, I'd love to get a Darren Sproles type though.

Seamus2602
12-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Huh? If we re-sign McAfee (why the hell wouldn't we?) we are beyond set at punter.

I agree. But as things currently stand we haven't resigned him yet and until we do I'm listing it as a need.

RCAChainGang
12-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I think Pat is not only a fantastic punter, but a good personality to have in the locker room.

So I'll be pissed if they don't resign him.

killxswitch
12-16-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm sure they'll re-sign him. I'm not concerned about it at all.

RCAChainGang
12-24-2012, 08:20 PM
What are your end rusher rankings for our scheme?

I got:

1. Jarvis Jones
Aqor83DnzMg
BocaJIeccGc
nqczNIJJ2O4
CrEKPk6oDmg
2. Dion Jordan
9JATMzVLBA0
XdpzGUxkek4
VVicjLxsI_U
3. Sam Montgomery
9kIToUgK50A
1r_SK-Q-u-s
4. Barkevious Mingo
HZKGp8-BpVs
dIms6ImVG6w
5. Ezekiel Ansah
MFYELG3ItAk
8O4NawUsjtc
HpiOSwicEkk
Aya0wRxQklU
6. Damontre Moore
kTNtQQvE7LE
bZlyDKSEgWU
T3VF1vkiKFo
FRqX0in2ItE
7. Alex Okafor
ExvDtq8Whq0
QQDcfdzCE3w
Sk8xNaqN6bc

I haven't watched too much tape so I'm interested to see what you guys think. Although I know BSD wants to hit up the Dline. :)

Edit: I'm also curious to see if you guys think it might be better to move Robert Mathis to SLB and have one of these guys play WLB.

MaxV
12-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I would say that Moore should be higher. There is also Werner if he enters.

Hopefully there will be a QB or a RB that sneaks into the 1st round and pushes one of these guys down to us.

It would suck to miss out on all of them.

RCAChainGang
12-24-2012, 11:52 PM
I would say that Moore should be higher.

Yeah, I have heard that a lot, but I wasn't all that impressed with the very little tape I have watched. I need to watch more. I'm interested to see what you guys think. I think Dion Jordan is my favorite fit, but Sam Montgomery might also be an excellent addition. I feel like Montgomery would be much better against the run than these other options.

Edit: I just started watching some stuff from this year and I really like it. I agree completely that Moore should be higher. All I had seen of him was a couple of games in 2011, but he looks great in 2012.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
What are your end rusher rankings for our scheme?

I got:

1. Jarvis Jones
Aqor83DnzMg
BocaJIeccGc
nqczNIJJ2O4
CrEKPk6oDmg
2. Dion Jordan
9JATMzVLBA0
XdpzGUxkek4
VVicjLxsI_U
3. Sam Montgomery
9kIToUgK50A
1r_SK-Q-u-s
4. Barkevious Mingo
HZKGp8-BpVs
dIms6ImVG6w
5. Ezekiel Ansah
MFYELG3ItAk
8O4NawUsjtc
HpiOSwicEkk
Aya0wRxQklU
6. Damontre Moore
kTNtQQvE7LE
bZlyDKSEgWU
T3VF1vkiKFo
FRqX0in2ItE
7. Alex Okafor
ExvDtq8Whq0
QQDcfdzCE3w
Sk8xNaqN6bc

I haven't watched too much tape so I'm interested to see what you guys think. Although I know BSD wants to hit up the Dline. :)

Edit: I'm also curious to see if you guys think it might be better to move Robert Mathis to SLB and have one of these guys play WLB.

Not a fan of the guys from LSU. A guy I want to keep an eye on is Margus Hunt. He is an athletic freak and was an absolute machine in his bowl game last night

MaxV
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
We took Hunt in the 3rd round in the Forum Mock Draft.

He is more of a 3-4 DE though, isn't he?

falloutboy14
12-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah. If he has a good off-season, will be interesting to see where he's drafted. Might be closer to our 1st pick than our 3rd. I'm sure Pagano will spend some time looking at him.

MaxV
12-26-2012, 08:24 AM
If the plan is to release Donald Brown in the off-season, then maybe they'll need another platoon RB.

I kind of want to see what Karim can do. He looked impressive in pre-season. He has very good quickness and speed and solid size. But they only use him as a returner.

killxswitch
12-26-2012, 09:32 AM
If the plan is to release Donald Brown in the off-season, then maybe they'll need another platoon RB.

I kind of want to see what Karim can do. He looked impressive in pre-season. He has very good quickness and speed and solid size. But they only use him as a returner.

As long as Moore is off the roster next year I am fine with whoever they pick. Ballard and Carter are a fine #1 and #2, the OL improving will help the run game more than any one runner.

MaxV
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I'd like to get a shifty speedster with good hands. A guy like that would compliment Ballard very well.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/12/26/3795398/andrew-luck-should-win-2012-nfl-rookie-of-the-year-and-heres-why

Breakdown on how good he really is

killxswitch
12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd like to get a shifty speedster with good hands. A guy like that would compliment Ballard very well.

Are you thinking a Darren Sproles-type?

MaxV
12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Are you thinking a Darren Sproles-type?

Yeah, that would be good.

killxswitch
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that would be good.

We would need a new OC to go with him, otherwise he'd be as worthless as drafting two TEs with your early draft picks.

fishspinners
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
We would need a new OC to go with him, otherwise he'd be as worthless as drafting two TEs with your early draft picks.

Still not a fan of taking Fleener and Allen huh?

killxswitch
12-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Still not a fan of taking Fleener and Allen huh?

If we actually used them I'd be OK with it by now.

However, after today's game I am thinking Arians' play calling may improve with Pagano taking over HC duties. Which may mean actually using the TEs.

I'd still rather have Dwayne Allen and Cordy Glenn. But I get that they didn't know Allen would still be around in the 3rd.

fishspinners
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty sure this draft will be devoted to defense and O-Line. I know there would be a lot of flak from this board if they took Robert Woods 1st round as an heir apparent to Wayne but I could see it.

killxswitch
12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure this draft will be devoted to defense and O-Line. I know there would be a lack of flak from this board if they took Robert Woods 1st round as an heir apparent to Wayne but I could see it.

It would be a truly horrible idea.

RCAChainGang
12-30-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree completely. We can push WR off for another one or two years.

fishspinners
12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
I agree completely. We can push WR off for another one or two years.

We can for sure. This past draft didn't go the way we thought so don't be surprised if they pull something crazy.Like always we need to upgrade the run D! There are tons of good d-line prospects. Really hope the right one falls to us in the first round.

RCAChainGang
12-31-2012, 03:45 AM
Falloutboy and I are doing the Forum mock starting Wednesday.

We have a good grip on the first round, but the 3rd is one that I would like some feedback on. Any prospect crushes you think will be available? Just curious.

killxswitch
12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
If you don't pick a guard in the 1st, Larry Warford in the 3rd would be great.

fishspinners
12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Falloutboy and I are doing the Forum mock starting Wednesday.

We have a good grip on the first round, but the 3rd is one that I would like some feedback on. Any prospect crushes you think will be available? Just curious.

Would like to see who you plan on taking in the 1st round. I agree if Warford from UK is available in the 3rd. Also like Elam from Florida and Arthur Brown of KState. I think Jesse Williams of the Tide would be a good fit at nose in round 4.

MaxV
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Killxswitch and I got Margus Hunt in the 3rd. That would be a great pick.

fishspinners
12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Killxswitch and I got Margus Hunt in the 3rd. That would be a great pick.

That would be a huge pickup! As raw as he is, I still don't think he makes it to the 3rd round. But i'm all for it!

killxswitch
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Hunts' potential will get him picked before the late 3rd, unfortunately.

I would also keep an eye out for a raw-but-big-and-fast safety prospect that drops. Pagano is the perfect coach to develop a player like that.

fishspinners
12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
With limited draft picks this year do the Colts make big moves in free agency?

falloutboy14
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Salary cap is 123m (max they can spend)
Salary floor is 107m (minimum they must spend)

I keep hearing the number of 43m in cap room that the colts have. So that implies that they have 80m on the salary for next year. So that means they must spend 27m more than they presently are scheduled to pay. And can go up to 43m.

$43m translates to 4-6 good starters.

fishspinners
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Sounds pretty good to me!

killxswitch
12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
I have heard anywhere from 40 to 50 million in cap space. I would expect interest in free agents at the following positions:

OT
OG
WR
DE
CB
S

That of course doesn't mean we will sign new starters at all of those positions. And not all the money will go to free agents. Some goes to rookies, some to players whose contacts need extensions. And some may get carried over to next year if they just don't find the right long-term guys.

RCAChainGang
01-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Alright guys. We have talked a lot about OL, OLB, and CB, but what do you guys think about 34 DEs?

Check out Scott's podcast about it.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown/2012/11/13/draft-countdown

I'm thinking we could get someone in the late rounds.

34 DEs in no particular order
-Jesse Williams, Alabama, 6'4", 320
-Baker Steinkuhler, Nebraska, 6'6", 290
-Kapron Lewis-Moore, Notre Dame, 6'4", 306
-Abry Jones, Georgia, 6'3", 308
-Margus Hunt, SMU, 6'8", 280
-Quinton Dial, Alabama, 6'6", 304
-Damion Square, Alabama, 6'3", 286

MaxV
01-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Richardson and Short can be solid 3-4 DEs also.

Kind of a meh group overall.

RCAChainGang
01-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Richardson and Short can be solid 3-4 DEs also.

Kind of a meh group overall.

I think Short is debatable. Listening to what Scott had to say made me inclined to think he could play NT but not 34 DE.

killxswitch
01-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I think Short has the right skillset to play 3-4 DE but I don't trust his work ethic or motor for DE or NT. At least not in the 1st. 3rd, sure.

RCAChainGang
01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I think Short has the right skillset to play 3-4 DE but I don't trust his work ethic or motor for DE or NT. At least not in the 1st. 3rd, sure.

Yeah he has strings of plays where he is just invisible. I don't think he has the discipline to keep contain with his motor.

killxswitch
01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
A few thoughts:

- The OL needs new starters at both guard spots, center, and RT.

At C, the replacement is already on the roster and should be obvious: Shipley. He's just better. He's stronger, he's meaner, he snaps the ball better. He is better in pass protection and run blocking. He doesn't screw up his assignments like Satele. I am really disappointed in this coaching staff for going back to Satele. That was a Polian-era move.

Reitz is a good player and I hope he is re-signed. But he needs to be a backup. He can't stay healthy, so we can't rely on him as a starter.

McGlynn is a pathetic sack of crap and should be cut immediately. No starting, no backup duty, just cut him.

Justice is a fine RT, but like Reitz, he can't play a full season. Can't trust him to be anything more than depth. I'd like to re-sign him to be a depth player but I doubt he'd be willing.

I am hoping to snag Andy Levitre and one of the many OTs potentially available in free agency in the offseason. Use that cap money to improve the OL. I'm also hoping for Larry Warford in the 3rd. But I doubt he will be available.

I'd like to target Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings in free agency. Someone to replace Avery and be the #1 once Wayne retires or just slows down. It's not critical but it'd be nice. Beyond that and OL, the offense seems set to me.

On defense, well, there's good and bad. ILB is set, easily. I'd say NT is too. CB is probably a need but it isn't as strong as the others I'm about to discuss. If the front 7 improves guys like Vaughn and Butler look a lot better.

DE needs at least one starting-caliber talent in there to work with Redding and Moala. I'd love to pick up Randy Starks in free agency. I don't think we're getting much help in the draft at that position. We have fine depth but Moala is a middling starter and Redding can't be counted to play a full season.

At OLB, we of course have many options in the draft. But the good ones might be gone before we can get one. After watching this game and researching a bit more about how he ended the season, I would not mind signing Paul Kruger if he is available. He has apparently developed into a much better player than I ever expected. If we got him and drafted a developmental guy in the middle rounds (and/or got a similar talent in free agency) I think we'd be fine there. Definitely need a more effective starter than Freeney, though. Our pass rush has been pretty bad at times this year. Very inconsistent.

Safety is a nightmare. We all know Zbikowski needs to be replaced (why in the hell did he start today???). Lefeged isn't the answer but he is significantly better than Z. Z should be cut. He does nothing well.

But Bethea has been a continual disappointment all year. He's had flashes of the old player we used to know. But he looks so slow. He tackles very poorly and looks weak doing it. He's blown his coverage assignment multiple times this year and it happened again today. And all year he just cannot make a play on the ball. He drops sure INTs and allows catches when he has the chance to bat the ball away. He doesn't seem like the same guy at all. After today I am comfortable saying we should not re-sign him when his contract is up unless he significantly improves next year. We need a new starting SS and probably some depth. But FS is not locked down like I thought it was. There are good S prospects in this draft and some guys like William Moore and LaRon Landry are potentially available in free agency.

At corner, the first order of business is to lock Davis up for the next 5 years. Pagano will make him a star. Vaughn and Butler are great depth but middling starters. There are quite a few good CB options potentially available in free agency, I'd be shocked if the Colts didn't take a shot there somewhere. I just don't think we can afford to burn a high pick on a CB prospect.

I'd also advocate for a new kicker. AV costs too much and can't consistently hit kicks in the 40 yard range for some reason. It's not high on the priority list but there's no reason to pay the guy $3 million a year.

This should be a busy offseason for sure. I'm looking forward to it.

RCAChainGang
01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I actually think the front 7 did a decent job in the playoff game. I think it was the secondary that made us look like idiots. Against Joe Flacco... Darius Butler and Cassius Vaughn don't turn back for the ball, Bethea isn't as physical as he once was and has lost a step, and Z is just worthless. I think we have 3 spots to fill in the secondary. The thing about potentially drafting Xavier Rhodes is he is so physical. He brings the attitude we need. He could play safety or corner imo.

The OL I agree with you on. Satele sucks and McGlynn is terrible. We have some quality guys, but they don't stay healthy (like you said killswitch). I have Castonzo/?/Shipley/?/? That is how bad our OL of the future looks. I'm not even really sold on Shipley long term. We will see.

I just want to give a salute to Luck. I can't believe he brought a team with so many holes to the playoffs. So glad he is a Colt. Also, Hilton is a boss.

RCAChainGang
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Honestly I think with the way that Luck is playing, we can be a contender without a great defense.

Our #1 priority is protecting him with draft picks or signings this offseason. I would want the OL to be stellar even if it comes at the expense of a crappy defense.

It would be nice to finally have a good defense in Indy, but I'm content with seeing shootouts next season if it means that Luck can take a 5 step drop without getting killed.

killxswitch
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Good news! Wisconsin C/G Travis Frederick has declared for the 2013 draft. This increases our chances of getting a good interior OLman for sure. I am a Frederick fan. He's huge but plays with good technique and is supposedly pretty smart. I do like Shipley at C but I'm sure Frederick could start at guard (he played there plenty at Wisconsin) and move to center if it made sense.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
1-25: CB, Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.
3-89: OT, Kyle Long, Oregon
4-121: OT, Brian Winters, Kent St.
6-185:
7-217:

This is what falloutboy14 and I have come out with in the forum mock so far. I think we have done well condidering the curve balls thrown at us. Both Long and Winters are steals. Just a little disappointed we missed out on premiere pass rushers. I'll post the complete list when we are done.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
This is waaaay off topic, but I thought I'd just ask. Where the hell did Geo go? He was a fantastic Colts poster on this board. Miss seeing his thoughts on the Colts.

MaxV
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
No idea.

Both he and Dam haven't posted in more then a year.

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
No idea.

Both he and Dam haven't posted in more then a year.

Dam is active on ColtFreaks so I don't know what his problem is.

As for Geo, no idea. He was a good poster, I miss him. Weird how he just dropped off without a single word.

Long in the 2nd would indeed be a steal. Don't know much about Winters. That draft would look a lot better to me if I knew we signed an OLB like Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips, or Michael Johnson.

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Wow I just looked at Geo's last post.

This is the only time I will return to this forum/site.

I have reactivated the league.

Xio, you are now the League Manager. If you don't want to do it, find someone else who will.

I will not be taking part in this league any longer.

Whoever is the LM:

1. Delete me from my team (now titled Available Team).
2. Strip me of my LM powers if you can in the LM Tools section.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Dam is active on ColtFreaks so I don't know what his problem is.

As for Geo, no idea. He was a good poster, I miss him. Weird how he just dropped off without a single word.

Long in the 2nd would indeed be a steal. Don't know much about Winters. That draft would look a lot better to me if I knew we signed an OLB like Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips, or Michael Johnson.

Definitely agree about signing a SLB. It is hard to draft without the FA process. All we did was decide who we were signing back and letting walk. Falloutboy14 was the one who made the OL board so he probably knows more about Winters. He is respected around NFLDC though!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53954

And that is crazy about Geo. Sucks to see that. I wonder why...
I should get an account on ColtsFreaks just to give a shout to Dam haha!

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
We just got a new owner at ColtFreaks and some things are changing so the more the merrier. falloutboy is on there and has gotten some flack for his username.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Haha that sucks because I love that band. :(

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
It is a different culture over there. I like it but we tend to run off a lot of new people.

MaxV
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I tried to start an account on ColtFreak, but for some reason it didn't let me.

And then when I tried again, it told me that my email already exists.

Weird.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I just registered so I can get some more Colts talk. Try again MaxV the first time I registered it said my email was banned by the admin so that was weird. I just used a different email.
:smug:

RCAChainGang
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I like it but we tend to run off a lot of new people.

Haha so does NFLDC :)

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I tried to start an account on ColtFreak, but for some reason it didn't let me.

And then when I tried again, it told me that my email already exists.

Weird.

If you can remember what username you picked, or just tell me/send me your email address, I can have an admin fix it.

MaxV
01-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I'll try again later.

If it doesn't work, I'll send it to you.

RagingColt
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Per John Clayton, the Colts will have 46 million in cap room for 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/46144/looking-at-2013-cap-situations

killxswitch
01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Can't wait to see it spent! Though I guess I'll have to, it's a long time til free agency.

RagingColt
01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Tom Telesco was hired by the Chargers to be their GM. Speculation is Arians might have his best shot to land a HC gig in San Diego.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53732/arians-open-to-working-with-telesco-again

falloutboy14
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Per John Clayton, the Colts will have 46 million in cap room for 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/46144/looking-at-2013-cap-situations

Saw this on the main forum recently, figured I'd add it here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

Gives the estimated cap space for all the teams. 3 teams have 45million to spend. Here I was thinking we'd be king of the hill in cap space all year.

10 teams are already over the cap for next year, so we should see some cap casualties from them.

MaxV
01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I wonder if Te'o now falls in the draft.

And would we draft him if he was there?

ILB isn't really a need, but he is the kind of prospect that can make a significant impact.

RCAChainGang
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
I really hope we don't.

MaxV
01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Well, looks like we are looking for a new OC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8855315/arizona-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians-head-coach-according-team-source

RagingColt
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm happy for BA. I think he's a good person and wish him the best with the Arizona job. Kinda ticked that Turner was hired by the Browns within the last 24 hours. I'll say this, really hope Clyde isn't promoted to OC.

killxswitch
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Marty Mornhinweg would seem to be a likely candidate. There's the Grigson connection, he has experience in a West Coast system which Luck would be familiar with, and his only other prospect appears to be with the Jets. So unless he has a personal problem with Grigs, Pagano, or something like that, it would make sense that he'd be on the short list and would likely be interested.

No Clyde Christansen, no Tom Moore plz.

fishspinners
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Ugh....I have a feeling that Clyde gets the job.

falloutboy14
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Wasn't Clyde the OC during the last few years and then demoted? I don't expect the front office will repeat that.

killxswitch
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Wasn't Clyde the OC during the last few years and then demoted? I don't expect the front office will repeat that.

They demoted him and brought in Arians. To me that says they're not confident in Clyde as an OC. If they do promote him it'll be because all the good ones are gone. It'd just be a one year bandaid. I'm hoping for better than that this year though.

Seamus2602
01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
The problem is there aren't many good candidates for it. Former options such as Clyde Christensen (who isn't good) or Tom Moore (who would be a short-term option as he's about 100 years old) shouldn't be considered. None of the current positional coaches are well known enough to give any sort of idea whether they will be good enough. A lot of the currently available ones have problems. Mornhinweg would be a completely different system, going from a vertical Air Coryell based system that the Colts have run not just under Arians but for the Manning years as well, to the horizontal West Coast Offense. The same can be said for Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress. Cam Cameron probably provides the most continuity, as would Mike Mularkey, and the later is a good QB developer, but both have real gameplan problems and playcalling issues.

killxswitch
01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah I did some more reading about Mornhinweg and I am not interested.

I wonder if New England's TE coach is an option. He's had a fair amount of offensive coaching experience and played QB in college. I think involving the TEs should be one of the top goals of this offense next year.

Seamus2602
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Rumour has it that Stanford's OC Pep Hamilton is the favourite for the job.

Seamus2602
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Though that would also be a shift to a more horizontal style passing attack.

RagingColt
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Mort is reporting that Pep Hamilton from Stanford is the leading candidate for our vacant OC postion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8857174/pep-hamilton-leading-candidate-become-offensive-coordinator-indianapolis-colts-sources

Thinking this might be the best possibility right now for the team and esp for Luck. I'd still hope the vertical game would still be in full play and perhaps Allen/Fleener's role would only expand. Hamilton has NFL coaching experience which is a bonus and as Irsay said before last season, he wasn't in for hiring retreads. He'd be a fresh face for the franchise.

EDIT: The Star is reporting Pep is the man.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130118/SPORTS03/130118017/Colts-reunite-Andrew-Luck-former-Stanford-offensive-coach-new-coordinator

MaxV
01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Looks like it is Pep.

Well, we'll see.

chad72
01-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Do we have to run the Stanford version of the WCO? Why not incorporate some of Mike McCarthy's concepts, especially with a QB like Luck (like Rodgers) that can throw well on the run?

One thing is for sure, the ball will get out much faster from Luck the coming year, IMO.

chad72
01-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Here is a mock that I would like to happen:

Round 1: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina, 6'3", 310 lbs (not as hyped as Warmack but I think he is just as solid)

Round 3: Will Davis, CB, Utah State, 6'0", 186, he probably does not get much recognition because of his college but he is 11th in the nation with interceptions. I also like Adrian Bushell, Louisville, in the 3rd Rd. He was with Florida and was expected to take Joe Haden's spot when he left for the NFL, however, Urban Meyer left Florida so Bushell did also

Round 4: Lavar Edwards, OLB/DE, LSU, 6'4", 258 lbs - lost in the headlines because of Mingo and Montgomery on the LSU squad but production is pretty close with sack total second behind Montgomery.

Round 6: Abry Jones, DT/DE, 6'3", 308 lbs, Georgia - perfect 5-tech candidate

Round 7: Brandon Bishop, FS, 6'2", 205 lbs, North Carolina State, solid safety

killxswitch
01-19-2013, 08:56 AM
No idea on mocks right now just because free agency will be such a force in shaping the draft board. With Hamilton at OC this team absolutely has to add new OL starters. It seems more likely to me though that we add OL help in free agency and look for defensive help in the draft. I don't at all agree that Cooper is on Warmack's level. I have concerns about Coopers strength and demeanor.

I am not against adding more WCO. I doubt we will completely abandon the deep ball, it's not like all WCO teams dink and dunk exclusively. I like the move because it means we'll probably run more (and hopefully more effectively), and Luck won't get hit as much.

MaxV
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Cooper in the 1st round.

It would be underwhelming to just come away with an undersized OG in the first 2 round.

indyfan1985
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Here is a mock that I would like to happen:

Round 1: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina, 6'3", 310 lbs (not as hyped as Warmack but I think he is just as solid)

Round 3: Will Davis, CB, Utah State, 6'0", 186, he probably does not get much recognition because of his college but he is 11th in the nation with interceptions. I also like Adrian Bushell, Louisville, in the 3rd Rd. He was with Florida and was expected to take Joe Haden's spot when he left for the NFL, however, Urban Meyer left Florida so Bushell did also

Round 4: Lavar Edwards, OLB/DE, LSU, 6'4", 258 lbs - lost in the headlines because of Mingo and Montgomery on the LSU squad but production is pretty close with sack total second behind Montgomery.

Round 6: Abry Jones, DT/DE, 6'3", 308 lbs, Georgia - perfect 5-tech candidate

Round 7: Brandon Bishop, FS, 6'2", 205 lbs, North Carolina State, solid safety

Not a fan at all of that draft. Id rather get OG Larry Warford over Cooper in the late 2nd. In the 1st, I want to come out with an impact defensive player. Maybe someone like Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro, Sheldon Richardson, or Johnathon Hankins.

RCAChainGang
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think Matt Elam is going to hold up in the NFL. He plays with his head down and throws himself around way too much. If we want a ball hawk we should draft Xavier Rhodes (has incredible ability locating and getting to the ball while in the air; he judges the ball really well). I'm fine with Sheldon Richardson as well. As for safety Eric Reid is my top prospect because he plays in a way that he will hold up when tackling. He rarely blows coverages and is extremely intelligent.

killxswitch
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I have the same concerns about Elam. He will Bob Sanders his way out of the NFL. I think the safety value is in late round 2 through round 4 this year.

The more I consider the offseason, the more I expect to add at least two new OL starters and at least one starting defensive back in free agency. That will seriously impact what the Colts look for on draft day.

RCAChainGang
01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah it is hard to judge pre-free agency. I agree about the value of the safety position. I'm also interested to see what Ijialana's situation is. When he did see the field was he decent at all? Regardless, OL needs to be addressed. 2-3 new starters. I hope someone like Larry Warford, Dallas Thomas, Lane Johnson, or Kyle Long slip to the 3rd round.

If we get the OL to play more aggressively then we might even have a run game to work with.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. Xavier Rhodes is my favorite CB over Millner and Banks. If he falls to us I would be completely fine with that pick.

killxswitch
01-23-2013, 01:34 PM
There are mixed reviews on Ijalana as an NFL tackle. I only ever saw him play when Castonzo got hurt when they were rookies. I thought he played well and looked surprisingly athletic. I've seen others say he looked bad. Hopefully he gets some chances in minicamps and training camp. I've heard rumors locally that Grigson doesn't like him and that he'll probably be cut. That would be a shame.

RagingColt
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Paul K via ESPN breaks down our FAs to be and areas of need to a T.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/46697/priority-one-indianapolis-colts

Also, could a mod change the title this thread to '13 Draft/Offseason?

falloutboy14
01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
I think the only regular season action he got was about a quarter of a game. I recall him being lost, but athletically capable of doing the job. I seem to recall that Manning wanted nothing to do with him for the time they were both here.

Also, the injury label they used for Ijalana was a signal that they didn't want him anymore, or at least it wouldn't break their heart to lose him. Here's an articale summarizing the situation: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/02/colts-waive-injured-ben-ijalana/

killxswitch
01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Darelle Revis may be available for trade. Can you guys imagine him and Davis as our starters at corner? OMG.

falloutboy14
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
He's only 27, but doesn't he have a significant injury history? I'd need a long-term deal with a no-holdout clause in it. Seems the Jets are having to deal with him in some way or another every other year.

killxswitch
01-24-2013, 09:16 AM
He's only 27, but doesn't he have a significant injury history? I'd need a long-term deal with a no-holdout clause in it. Seems the Jets are having to deal with him in some way or another every other year.

That's because they kept slapping bandaids on his contract instead of just paying him what he was worth. Now they've waited too long and can't afford him.

I'm not saying do a Herschel Walker trade for him. There would need to be provisions for games played and he'd have to pass a physical and some athletic tests. But if he is still the best CB in the NFL, and he's available, we have to at least consider bringing him in. How often are we going have an opportunity to trade for that level of player AND have the cash to lock him up long-term?

RCAChainGang
01-26-2013, 10:07 PM
That is an exciting possibility and Grigson might be the type of GM to make it happen.

On other fronts, does anyone know anything about our new OC? Is it too early to tell what our offense might look like with him taking over?

RagingColt
01-26-2013, 10:35 PM
The only time I saw Stanford play and pay much attention was in the last two years with Shaw as the HC. Liberal use of two TE sets and even large bunch formations seem common regardless of down. I would hope Pep would incorporate some of the deeper passing routes that Arians had. I'm not sure what role slot receivers have so Hilton's role is a mystery to me right now.

RagingColt
01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I'd be for a Revis trade but wonder what the Jets realistically think they'll get for him? I wouldn't want to trade this year's 1st for him. We'd be toast in our quest to upgrade the lines.

falloutboy14
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
If we do get revis and give him ~$14m a year, we still have ~$30m or so to spend. That's still plenty of money to spend on O & D lines. The question is, if we give Davis 8-10m to be a #2 CB, we're now spending ~20% of our cap space on 2 CBs.

While Luck is cheap its not a big deal, but once his rookie contract is up, we're going to have tough choices to make.

Not sure if I said it here or elsewhere, but I think once we see who is available at free agency will determine if its worth it. If the market is thin with a lot of buyers, Revis makes sense. If there's a ton of FAs with few buyers, we could get more value there.

RCAChainGang
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying this is a good decision, but is there a chance we sign Freeney? I really think both parties would benefit from parting, but I'm afraid we might piss away some cap space on him when he doesn't really fit the system. Is it pretty clear he is out the door or are there reports of negotiations?

killxswitch
01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
There's a pretty strong CB FA class this year so if Revis' demands are off we should look at Brent Grimes, Sam Shields, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, DRC, someone like that.

RagingColt
01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying this is a good decision, but is there a chance we sign Freeney? I really think both parties would benefit from parting, but I'm afraid we might piss away some cap space on him when he doesn't really fit the system. Is it pretty clear he is out the door or are there reports of negotiations?

I've heard no reports yet. I think it's best for both sides if Freeney signs elsewhere with a 4-3 style of defense. I think the Falcons or Vikings might be ideal places for him. Even playing out of position and hurt for most of the year he still got a lot of hurries this year. It didn't translate to sacks unfortunately as I think it's time Grigson brings in a true rush OLD/DE to play in the scheme as Pagano would envision. Would think the draft be our best bet in reaching the goal.

Forever grateful for Polan/Dungy drafting him when he was viewed as being undersized for a DE picked early in the 1st round. Without him, we don't win the Super Bowl.

killxswitch
01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm sure Freeney is gone. He is a defensive lineman. I thought he'd be able to make the switch but he either can't or won't. It doesn't look to me like he worked to drop much (if any) weight to increase his agility. I am hoping to replace him w/one of the draft prospects.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Time to let Freeney walk. Just hope he doesnt sign with a team like the titans. Be pretty cool if he went to NYG

falloutboy14
01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Agreed that freeney isn't a 3-4 olb. Sadly the last two years have had several business decisions, though this should be the last for a while. Unless people just love them some Vinatieri.

Also Grigs won executive of the year. Definitely deserving.

RCAChainGang
02-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Keep seeing Keenan Allan mocked to us. I personally hate it, but what do you guys think? Also, Hankins and I don't like that either.

Wanna share your boards since Senior Bowl?

I got Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Cooper, Shariff Floyd, and Okafor (Although I still have a lot of questions about him. Do you guys know if he can play rush linebacker?

Seamus2602
02-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Keep seeing Keenan Allan mocked to us. I personally hate it, but what do you guys think? Also, Hankins and I don't like that either.

Wanna share your boards since Senior Bowl?

I got Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Cooper, Shariff Floyd, and Okafor (Although I still have a lot of questions about him. Do you guys know if he can play rush linebacker?

I'm not a fan of Sharrif Floyd. I don't think he fits what the Colts will want to do at 5-Tech. He's poor in the run game and has very poor technique. He's a 1 gap penetrator, not a 2-Gap control player.

I like Allen. If the Colts are taking a 1st Round WR I like him or Terrance Williams in the 1st. I just don't know whether or not there is value taking a receiver in the 1st especially with greater value at other positions of need likely to be available.

killxswitch
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Here's a rough Colts big board, ignoring positions I don't think we should try to address in the draft. Obviously we won't have a shot at some of these guys.

DT Star Lotulelei
OLB Jarvis Jones
OLB Damontre Moore
OG Chance Warmack
OT Luke Joeckel
OT Eric Fisher
OLB Bjoern Werner
CB Dee Milliner

DE Sheldon Richardson
OLB Barkevious Mingo
OLB Ezekiel Ansah
OLB Dion Jordan

WR Cordarelle Patterson
OT/OG DJ Fluker
OG Jonathan Cooper
DE Datone Jones
CB Xavier Rhodes

OLB Sam Montgomery
CB Desmond Trufant
OG Travis Frederick
OG Larry Warford

DL Jesse Williams
DE Sharrif Floyd
S Kenny Vaccaro
OT Lane Johnson
OG/C Barrett Jones
S Eric Reid

MaxV
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Cooper is growing on me a bit, but I'm still not crazy about picking OG in the 1st round even if that's our biggest need.

killxswitch
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Updated my board and added tiers.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's a rough Colts big board, ignoring positions I don't think we should try to address in the draft. Obviously we won't have a shot at some of these guys.

DT Star Lotulelei
OLB Jarvis Jones
OLB Damontre Moore
OG Chance Warmack
OT Luke Joeckel
OT Eric Fisher
OLB Bjoern Werner
CB Dee Milliner

DE Sheldon Richardson
OLB Barkevious Mingo
OLB Ezekiel Ansah
OLB Dion Jordan

WR Cordarelle Patterson
OT/OG DJ Fluker
OG Jonathan Cooper
DE Datone Jones
CB Xavier Rhodes

OLB Sam Montgomery
CB Desmond Trufant
OG Travis Frederick
OG Larry Warford

DL Jesse Williams
DE Sharrif Floyd
S Kenny Vaccaro
OT Lane Johnson
OG/C Barrett Jones
S Eric Reid

One guy you forgot to list as Jonathan Banks, who Kiper/McShay have us taking -___-

RCAChainGang
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah I really don't want to select Banks. Rhodes is my favorite CB. Nice board killxswitch!

MaxV
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I would put Hankins in there also, even if you don't view NT as a big need.

I've watched him play and he is a beast.

killxswitch
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Not really interested in Banks. He's a FS at the next level IMO. And I refuse to consider DTs from Ohio State.

MaxV
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Not really interested in Banks. He's a FS at the next level IMO. And I refuse to consider DTs from Ohio State.

Not all of them are addicted to video games...

... I don't think.

RagingColt
02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Pitcock FTW!

RCAChainGang
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139589/article/dwight-freeney-wont-return-to-indianapolis-colts

Rumored Freeney will be gone next season. Best of luck to him. I appreciate all he did for the franchise.

EDIT: And also Austin Collie. I hate that. Loved the way he played. Just took some unfortunate hits.

RagingColt
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
It's time for Freeney to move on from Indy. It's a good move for both sides. We don't win a SB w/out him. As for Collie, wished he had stayed healthy. He was a tremendous player when Manning was still here. Really think he should consider retiring.

killxswitch
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Updated Colts 1st round board now that just about everybody has run:

DT Star Lotulelei
CB Dee Milliner
OG Chance Warmack
OT Eric Fisher
OT Luke Joeckel
OLB Jarvis Jones
OLB Ezekiel Ansah
OG Jonathan Cooper
CB Xavier Rhodes

OLB Dion Jordan
OT Lane Johnson
CB Desmond Trufant
OT/OG DJ Fluker
OLB Tank Carradine
OLB Damontre Moore
OLB Barkevious Mingo
DE Datone Jones
OLB Bjoern Werner

DE Sheldon Richardson
DE Sharrif Floyd
S Shamarko Thomas

OG Larry Warford
S Kenny Vaccaro
C Barrett Jones

I may be overrating or underrating a few players based on combine performance, we'll see how it stands in a couple weeks.

MaxV
02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I wonder if health issues might push Star down.

RCAChainGang
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I wonder if health issues might push Star down.

I heard somewhere that it was just dehydration. But yeah I wonder the same thing.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

DT Star Lotulelei-
CB Dee Milliner-
OG Chance Warmack- =/ not happening
OT Eric Fisher-
OT Luke Joeckel
OLB Jarvis Jones
OLB Ezekiel Ansah
OG Jonathan Cooper- still hoping we can get him
CB Xavier Rhodes- He is growing on me

OLB Dion Jordan- not sure on him yet. need to read more
OT Lane Johnson- he's an o-lineman so of course i want him
CB Desmond Trufant- ehhhh
OT/OG DJ Fluker- hopeful but I think he will be gone
OLB Tank Carradine- same as Dion Jordan
OLB Barkevious Mingo- No
DE Datone Jones- Same as Carradine

DE Sheldon Richardson- out of range
DE Sharrif Floyd- out of range
S Shamarko Thomas- See Dion Jordan

OLB Bjoern Werner- out of range
OLB Damontre Moore- out of range
OG Larry Warford- ehh not 1st round value
S Kenny Vaccaro- If we go defense rather have a lineman or CB but the value is good
C Barrett Jones- I'd be on board with him in the first he is very versatile

I may be overrating or underrating a few players based on combine performance, we'll see how it stands in a couple weeks.

My thoughts on the big board

killxswitch
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I heard somewhere that it was just dehydration. But yeah I wonder the same thing.

I heard the same. I don't think we have any shot at him at all. If he does fall it won't be out of the top 10.

I think there's a solid chance we can draft Richardson. I'm just not sure I even want him at this point. He's shorter and slower than I expected, didn't prove his explosion. I'm just not sure he's a good fit at 5 tech. There are some solid options for 4-3 DTs and also NTs but I don't like taking a 2 down run stuffer in the 1st. Bad value.

killxswitch
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Moved Moore and Werner up a bit. I overreacted to combine stuff. I didn't realize Moore was so young. I bet he'll be way better at his pro day. An NFL strength and conditioning program will help him a lot.

RCAChainGang
02-26-2013, 10:35 PM

DT Star Lotulelei
CB Dee Milliner
OG Chance Warmack
OT Eric Fisher
OT Luke Joeckel
OLB Jarvis Jones - would love to get him on a slide if we miss out on Barwin and Kruger in FA
OLB Ezekiel Ansah - would be sensational
OG Jonathan Cooper - feel like his combine might push him out of our range now but solid pick
CB Xavier Rhodes

I like your tier 1s. They reflect just that. We probably won't have a shot at most of these guys.

OLB Dion Jordan - might have him in tier 1. He seems like an ideal fit for a 34 OLB
OT Lane Johnson - love this guy
CB Desmond Trufant - actually really like him. I have him as my 3rd corner next to Millner and Rhodes
OT/OG DJ Fluker - beast
OLB Tank Carradine - Don't know anything about him (whoops)
OLB Damontre Moore - Really don't think we have a shot, but I really like him. Maybe a tier 1?
OLB Barkevious Mingo - I actually would love to get him, but I think we miss out
DE Datone Jones - I don't know too much about him tbh
OLB Bjoern Werner - seems out of range and I haven't looked at him much because I knew the Colts would probably not have a shot at him

DE Sheldon Richardson - combine might push him away from us and I might put him in tier 2
DE Sharrif Floyd - stock seems to be rising above us but I agree with his placement on our board
S Shamarko Thomas - this is interesting I haven't heard much about him. I should check him out.

OG Larry Warford
S Kenny Vaccaro
C Barrett Jones

I would be slightly bummed with these guys so they are good for low tiers

I appreciate your thoughts on the board. It is an excellent outline of who the Colts should be looking at. Nice job as always killxswitch

Did the same as BSD and added my thoughts. I don't have much negative to say. I pretty much agree. Thanks for the board to work off of killxswitch!

RagingColt
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Fili was resigned to a one year deal and I suspect they'll offer a similar one to Powers. I think these are good depth signings. At worst they'd both be non starters and can fill in as need be. Boomstick got the franchise tag. Saturday retired a Colt and has a job with the team.

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Winston being on the market should drive the market price for a RT down some. That is off course good for us. I am optimistically hoping for 2 guards and a tackle in FA. Louis Vasquez, Donald Thomas, and Winston/Vollmer/Cherilus. Don't want Andre Smith's price tag.

RCAChainGang
03-08-2013, 12:49 AM
So assuming we get them what would the depth chart be based off of talent?

? Castonzo/Vasquez/Shipley/Thomas/Vollmer ?

I really hope we put money in FA into OL and DL. I think we can find corners relatively easily in the draft and pass rushers can be found in the draft as well. I would much rather have an experienced line and some guys we know can play 5tech.

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes, that is exactly the line I would envision. They could flip the guards but I doubt it. However, I am expecting any day that the Pats will announce they've signed Vollmer to an extension. Just because they are assholes like that.

MaxV
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I agree with that idea RCA. Not only because this draft is deep with DBs and pass-rushers but also because good Corners and Pass-Rushers cost A TON in Free Agency.

I really wish we had more picks in this draft. It seems to be tailor-made for our team. It has very good depth at areas that we need (OLB, DB and OL).

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree with that idea RCA. Not only because this draft is deep with DBs and pass-rushers but also because good Corners and Pass-Rushers cost A TON in Free Agency.

I really wish we had more picks in this draft. It seems to be tailor-made for our team. It has very good depth at areas that we need (OLB, DB and OL).

I feel the same way. It's kind of a bad year to have lots of cap space and not many picks. I wish we could buy some more picks.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Should we take a look at any of the veteran DB's that have been released?

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I am definitely interested in Dawan Landry. Pagano coached him for several seasons so he knows the system and culture already. But he apparently doesn't suck like Zbikowski does. He's still fairly young and from what I've read played well for Jacksonville. Which is why it's weird that they cut him.

Clemons, Quin, and Delmas are also worth a look IMO.

RCAChainGang
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
FA Players I'm interested in.

OL
Sebastian Vollmer
Louis Vasquez
Andy Levitre
Eric Winston
Gosder Cherilus

DL
Richard Seymour
Mike DeVito
Glenn Dorsey (run support)
Jason Jones
Arthur Jones (RFA)

OLB
Paul Kruger
Connor Barwin
Shaun Phillips

CB
Sean Smith
Keenan Lewis
Chris Houston
Cary Williams

S
Glover Quinn
Dashon Goldson
William Moore

I'm sure I missed some people, but I guess these people are mainly on the radar for me. Some of them I'm not entirely sure on and they aren't in any particular order.

Mostly would like to draft WRs, CBs, S, and LBs.

I think positions that require experience like OL and specialized 3-4 positions like 5tech are important to address in FA.

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 11:29 PM
OL
Sebastian Vollmer
Louis Vasquez
Andy Levitre
Eric Winston
Gosder Cherilus
Donald Thomas
Brandon Moore

DL
Richard Seymour
Mike DeVito
Glenn Dorsey (run support)
Jason Jones
Arthur Jones (RFA)
Desmond Bryant
Sammie Lee Hill
Antonio Garay (if he's cut)

OLB
Paul Kruger
Connor Barwin
Shaun Phillips
Victor Butler

CB
Sean Smith
Keenan Lewis
Chris Houston
Cary Williams
Chris Gamble
Brent Grimes

S
Glover Quinn
Dashon Goldson
William Moore
LaRon Landry
Dawan Landry
Louis Delmas
Patrick Chung
Adrian Wilson

My additions are italicized and in bold. I'm very excited for next week.

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Oh I forgot Mike Jenkins! Remember him? The Cowboys corner Grigson wanted to trade for, but Jerruh was being stubborn about it for some reason? He's a FA this year and pretty much forgotten about. Which means he should be cheap.

RCAChainGang
03-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh I forgot Mike Jenkins! Remember him? The Cowboys corner Grigson wanted to trade for, but Jerruh was being stubborn about it for some reason? He's a FA this year and pretty much forgotten about. Which means he should be cheap.

Yeah I read that recently as well. Looks like the Cowboys have no interest in resigning him. I just wonder why.

killxswitch
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah I read that recently as well. Looks like the Cowboys have no interest in resigning him. I just wonder why.

Dunno, but nothing JJ does would dissuade me from a player. He might not be worth a contract but I'll leave that up to Grigson. I wonder who he and his team will be talking to this weekend (other than Vasquez, who they've apparently already talked to...)

RCAChainGang
03-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I like Kruger a lot, but I don't want to break the bank for him. I would much rather see us draft a pass rusher. Looks like we are in a bidding war. I kinda hope we lose.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149259/article/report-paul-kruger-might-spur-twoteam-bidding-war

falloutboy14
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I'd have a tough time going above 9m for Kruger. 12m is Demarcus Ware territory, and he's not that.

MaxV
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Plus I'm a little wary of guys who had a big breakout year during their contract season.

RCAChainGang
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Well I keep hearing that he would be pulled out of the game in favor of Courtney Upshaw in running downs. I guess I want more of an athletic pass rusher from the draft than overpaying Kruger to be a liability in the run.

How much of the cap do we need to spend? Is it at all likely that we are saving cap for when Luck's contract comes?

RCAChainGang
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Also, I would just like to say. Thank the lord for Grigson.

I really like that he is aggressive to make the team competitive.

killxswitch
03-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Some news...

The Indianapolis Colts resigned exclusive rights free-agent DL Martin Tevaseu and OL Joe Reitz. Tevaseu signed a one-year, $555,000 deal, and Reitz signed a one-year, $620,000 deal.

Not exciting, but good signings IMO. It tells us a few things. Reitz, a starter last year is on a low-level prove it deal. He's not expected to start and they're just seeing if he can stay healthy as a backup. If he can, he will provide great depth.

Tevaseu will probably compete with other low-level FA NTs in camp. I doubt we keep Mookie Johnson with McKinney and Chapman coming back from injury.

Also I saw that the team isn't tendering Seth Olsen. Now all we have to do is cut Mike McGlynn and the new-look OL will really be underway.

I agree with you guys, I don't want to overpay Kruger or Avril, neither are going to be dominant #1 pass rushers. I'd rather sign Victor Butler and then draft a pass rusher. My favorite prospects at OLB right now are Tank Carradine, Damontre Moore, Alex Okafor, Jamie Collins, and Brandon Jenkins.

falloutboy14
03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
How much of the cap do we need to spend? Is it at all likely that we are saving cap for when Luck's contract comes?

There's a salary floor of 88.8% this year, 90% in future years. So if the salary cap is 123m, the salary floor is 109m. That means the Colt's will be penalized if they don't spend ~30m. I believe the penalty is that every dollar under is distributed to the players on the roster.

If they just don't like FA this year, they could do a long-term deal for Davis. They would have the option of front-loading it, to get to the salary floor this year. Then in the later years of the contract he's cheap. Players may take advantage of that by holding out once they've received the bulk of their contract. I wouldn't be against doing a long-term deal for Luck. 9 years, 100m or something, but that would be very unusual.

fishspinners
03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I think we had a very strong start to free agency with the signings of Cherilus,Thomas,Toler,Sidbury ,and Walden. Still would like to see a Safety picked up as well but very happy with what we have signed so far.

fishspinners
03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Also, I would just like to say. Thank the lord for Grigson.

I really like that he is aggressive to make the team competitive.
Grigson is the FN man!

RagingColt
03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Butler was resigned to a two year deal. Like the signings of Cherilus,Thomas and Toler. Toler should give us adequate cb2 or at worst a nickle guy. Cherilus can start at RT and Thomas should compete for our LG spot and should win the job. Based off what we saw today, I think the priorities in the draft go like this - RG, Safety to replace Zibs, and OLB. I have little faith in Walden being anything terrific. More like Jerrry Hughes ineptness. I kinda wonder if WR doesn't go further up list of possibilities in the draft?

fishspinners
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Butler was resigned to a two year deal. Like the signings of Cherilus,Thomas and Toler. Toler should give us adequate cb2 or at worst a nickle guy. Cherilus can start at RT and Thomas should compete for our LG spot and should win the job. Based off what we saw today, I think the priorities in the draft go like this - RG, Safety to replace Zibs, and OLB. I have little faith in Walden being anything terrific. More like Jerrry Hughes ineptness. I kinda wonder if WR doesn't go further up list of possibilities in the draft?

RG,SS, and OLB are pretty much locks for the draft. If the right guy is there I can see the Colts taking a WR 1st round. If not early on I expect them two take two WRs at some point in the draft.

MaxV
03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't get the Walden deal at all. I guess they see potential there.

All the others are ok signings. No huge difference-makers, but we might have plugged a couple of holes.

Meh.

RCAChainGang
03-12-2013, 10:58 PM

Yeah I think having another pass rusher is good, but I still don't think we have a starter on the roster at that spot. I don't know too much about Toler, but I am not sure I would be okay with him playing CB2. I would rather have him for the slot.

I agree with the needs. I think it goes. OLB, RG, S, CB, WR. Grigson leans towards BPA so I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR selected and I wouldn't mind it too much either. I'm curious to see wether Avery is resigned.

falloutboy14
03-12-2013, 11:19 PM
I read that GMs associated with Walden previously went after him as well (the Raiders GM was previously with the Packers). Maybe he'll be a rotational guy with Hughes. I've heard Walden is a better run-stopper, which is where Hughes really struggles. Hopefully the $16m is smoke and mirrors, and its incentivized/no guaranteed money.

It seems their plan has been to find role-players as opposed to game changers. I tend to think we have a few game changers already, but its the holes we need filled. For example the defense can just avoid Davis because of Vaughn.

Apparently Laron Landry & Ricky Jean-Francois are expected to meet with the team tonight/tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about Bethea, and wondering if we should be focusing on a FS more than a SS.

There was talk that the Colts were interested in Avril. Not sure what Walden does for that.

As far as needs, we need a WR, S, G, OLB.

With Butler & Toler in, I don't expect we'll bring in another CB, unless he's cheap or later in the draft.

RCAChainGang
03-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Interesting read.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/ON-THE-PLUS-SIDE/9fdbaf1f-1fb0-4095-b044-69c2ea42e15c

Ryan Grigson, in his 15th year of personnel evaluation, knew that. When he said at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday that his team was better than when the day started, he meant it.

“I feel like anybody I go after and sign in free agency or take in the draft has expectations of coming in a being a starter,” said Grigson. “We don’t draft backups and we don’t go after guys in free agency who we don’t think aren’t starting material. We see them making a difference for us.

“(We’re better), without a doubt, definitely.”

The Colts reached contract agreements with five players – offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, defensive end Lawrence Sidbury, linebacker Erik Walden, offensive guard Donald Thomas and linebacker Greg Toler.

Cherilus has been a mainstay at right tackle for Detroit and could bookend Anthony Castonzo in Indianapolis. If so, it will match Boston College tackles for the Colts.

Walden has started the last two seasons in Green Bay. The Colts are looking for players to help compensate for the loss of Dwight Freeney, the club’s all-time sack leader who departed on Tuesday.

Freeney was a special talent, and Grigson sees competition forming to address the matter of who will play in his place.

“At some point, that’s what the OTAs are for. That’s what training camp is for,” said Grigson. “We’re creating an atmosphere of competitiveness. That’s Chuck’s M.O. The true football players, the true champions and winners, they crave that, they want that. They’re going to compete.”

Thomas is a versatile performer who can snap and play both guard positions. Toler is an athletic presence who will lend cover ability. A cornerback tandem of Toler and Vontae Davis is a possibility. Sidbury will work in a 3-4 scheme for the first time in his career, and Grigson sees the fifth-year pro as a good fit that can make the transition.

The purpose of free agency is to build a team. Observers sometimes can get caught up in the sizzle of big names rather than focusing on substance that can bolster a franchise.

Grigson is not allergic to sizzle, but he is a master at applying elbow grease when it comes to unearthing talent. He will use all means at his disposal.

“We’re going to grind the tape, and we have the draft as well. We have two avenues to acquire talent,” said Grigson. “I’m not a person who likes to put all my eggs in one basket. I feel like if I can get good players instead of putting all my eggs in one basket, it makes good common sense to try to help the team in a balanced sort of way, not just going for broke with one guy.

“We really want good fits. There’s a reason for these guys because they fit in so many ways. I wanted to spend (Jim Irsay’s) money…wisely.”

Grigson covered a lot of ground to get the five players within 90 minutes of the start of free agency. It is a passion, not just a profession.

“It’s hectic, but exciting and filled with adrenaline,” said Grigson. “I’m still having fun. In the midst of this whole thing if you’re not having fun and you’re ready to jump off a cliff, then you probably shouldn’t be doing this job.

“I feel like I was ready, and Chuck (Pagano) was ready. (Our guys) did an exceptional job. I feel absolutely fantastic. I feel great about today. I feel we got better.”

RagingColt
03-13-2013, 12:31 AM
At least we avoided the mega bucks deals. I'm sure outsiders will look at some of the numbers and think a few were overkill. We got at minimum two upgrades for the o-line and basically a starter cb2/nickel guy.

Bethea did have an up and down year with missed tackles. Suspect we mirror what we did last year with the TE spot and double up on safeties this draft? What if we got Elam or Jonathan Cyprien early with our first and then Shamarko Thomas later on. Pags has no allegiance to Bethe and they're only looking to get players they want.

falloutboy14
03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Don't think we need to replace him. More of what is he best suited to do and what type of player would best compliment him.

And yeah, we did go with the lower-risk signings. If Walden doesn't pan out and is released, its not an enormous cap hit compared to Wallace or Kruger. Cherilus only got $10m guaranteed on a $35m deal. I assume Walden's guarantee is $4m or below.

MaxV
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Ricky Jean-Francois would be a run-stuffing DE?

falloutboy14
03-13-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm not quite sure. I've read he's a capable pass-rusher. He's listed as 6'3" 295, but is listed as a NT, which for a 3-4 is obviously too small. From what I've read, he was essentially the 4th D-linemen on SF, rotating in for nickel & injuries.

Grigson comments on our signings: (http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/COMING-OUT-SWINGING/4048c412-40ce-4187-8d52-bb53e5bee095)
Cherilus“You can’t coach (his size), who plays snap-to-whistle,” said Grigson. “He doesn’t take any flak from anyone. He will fight and scrap until every whistle. He’s 28, has a lot of experience. He’s there on Sunday’s and you can count on him.”
Sidbury“He has always played in a 4-3. Coming out of school, he had great measurable,” said Grigson. “He has 35-inch arms and ran 4.53 at the combine. It’s going to take some time to learn the schemes. He’s primarily been in the 4-3. He’s a good fit. It’s all out in front of him. He’s a guy who can put it all together and do well in our scheme.”
Walden“We’re always trying to get guys for Chuck who are a good fit for what he’s trying to accomplish. Erik is one of those guys,” said Grigson. “The one thing that sticks out about Erik…he can set the edge. In a 3-4, that’s what your outside linebackers have to do. This guy has done it in a textbook way. He jolts people’s head back with contact. He’s violent with his hands. His motor never stops.”
Thomas “Thomas has a good number of starts under his belt,” said Grigson. “We feel the arrow is up on him. He’s a good, young lineman. He played at a high level for a great organization. He’s going to compete for one of the guard spots. We’re extremely excited he can help bolster the interior. He can play three positions, both guard spots and he can snap some.”
Toler “He is an exceptional athlete. He can run. He has great quickness,” said Grigson. “Like Vontae (Davis), he is a gifted cover man with great athletic ability. He’s not afraid to stick his nose in there. He will tackle you. He plays with a tempo that you love to see in a corner. We feel we have a strong tandem moving forward.”

killxswitch
03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm happy enough with Cherilous, Toler, and Thomas. All three should start and will be better than the guy playing the same spot last year. Toler and Thomas especially will make Grigson look smart, I think.

I am sorely disappointed that we whiffed on Vasquez. I thought we had him for sure. Going from SD to Denver, and not signing for THAT much money, I wonder if it just came down to him not wanting to play for the Colts. I'm not sad we passed on Levitre. He got PAID.

Sidbury seems like a developmental guy, maybe a future situational pass rusher and a special teams guy. I don't understand him being a priority, but I doubt he got much money.

Walden getting $4 million guaranteed and 4/$16 is pathetic. I mean a really dumb move. Not impressed with that at all. He offers nothing as a pass rusher. So he's a situational run stuffer. Great, yeah, let's skip guys like Barnes, Butler, and Barwin so we can overpay a situational run stuffer that made $700,000 last year. Awful.

I am still hoping for a SS, DE, OG, CB, and still possibly Cliff Avril at a good price. I don't think we are done just because the first 24 hrs has almost passed. I am not thrilled like I expected to be, but I'm not disappointed. Except for the Walden deal. Ugh.

RagingColt
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Butterfingers signed with the Chiefs today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/kansas-city-chiefs-reach-deal-wide-receiver-donnie-162800311--nfl.html

MaxV
03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, so is that it?

falloutboy14
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
unless they front-loaded the contracts, they've still got ~$10m to spend to hit the salary floor (the floor, not the cap). Rookies won't get them there, resigning Davis would if they want to do that. So there's probably 2-3 more FAs incoming.

edit: There's not a lot left as far as guards go (at least players I've heard of). There's still some safeties available, cornerbacks, Avril, if no one offers Andre Smith RT money (I heard he wanted $9m a year) maybe we could make him a home at guard. Bengals have a ton to spend, so I assume they'll give him RT money once no one offers him LT money. Greg Jennings is around, but its starting to get thin for players most of us have heard of.

RCAChainGang
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
LaRon Landry sign with the colts for 4 years. What do you guys think? I don't know too much about his play.

MaxV
03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Significant improvement over what we had at that position last year. Good signing.

MaxV
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
With that signing our remaining needs are imo:

1. OLB - another pass-rusher is still a need, even if you are a believer in Walden
2. OG - We can't be satisfied with what we have. Thomas/Reitz combo is still average at best, even if it's an improvement from last year.
3. DE - Maybe Ricky Jean Francois will be the answer. I want a guy who can pass rush also, but 3-4 pass-rushing DEs are rare.
4. WR - It doesn't need to be a star, but I think we do need to add a decent target, preferably with deep speed.

RCAChainGang
03-13-2013, 11:28 PM
With that signing our remaining needs are imo:

1. OLB - another pass-rusher is still a need, even if you are a believer in Walden
2. OG - We can't be satisfied with what we have. Thomas/Reitz combo is still average at best, even if it's an improvement from last year.
3. DE - Maybe Ricky Jean Francois will be the answer. I want a guy who can pass rush also, but 3-4 pass-rushing DEs are rare.
4. WR - It doesn't need to be a star, but I think we do need to add a decent target, preferably with deep speed.

I agree. OLB has to be the top need because we need someone to start developing as a potential starter. I don't see one on the roster at this point.

I would also add CB to the list of needs. Although, I'm not sure Grigson has it as a need. He probably is fine with Davis/Toler/Vaughn/Butler, but I would like to add another CB preferably through the draft.

MaxV
03-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Another need might actually be a backup QB. Personally, I like Harnish, he has ability, but they might want to go with a vet.

falloutboy14
03-13-2013, 11:36 PM
I have a feeling we're not going to bring in a free agent OLB. We brought in 2 already, and have Hughes as well. I could see us drafting a young guy but a 3rd olb would be a bit much.

I'd also put WR higher on that list. If Wayne or Hilton get injured, the cupboard is pretty bare.

For Landry, he looks like a bigger Bob Sanders, but 4 inches taller & 20 pounds heavier. Probably not as good in coverage, but if you need a running back leveled, he's your guy. He's got a nice highlight video on youtube.

RagingColt
03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Like the signing of Landry. He should bring some pop that we've lacked since Bobzilla.

killxswitch
03-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Signing Landry makes up for Walden some and makes this FA period successful IMO. If we get RJF, all the better.

RCAChainGang
03-14-2013, 09:10 AM
This is likely to just frustrate us all, but falloutboy14 did a stellar job in free agency in the mock offseason.

OT Jeff Linkenbach
OL Joe Reitz
DB Cassius Vaughn
OG Louis Vasquez
DL Arthur Jones
DL Fili Moala
LB Paul Kruger
CB Aqib Talib
S Glover Quin
OT/OG Doug Free
CB Justin Tryon
RB Danny Woodhead

Draft
1(24) - LB Arthur Brown
3(86) - OT Oday Aboushi
4(121) - WR Aaron Dobson
6(193) - FS Josh Evans
And we got screwed out of our 7th.

( I helped a little )

MaxV
03-14-2013, 09:24 AM
That draft would work.

falloutboy14
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Also got Butler & Avery in the post-draft FA.

Back to real world colts, I'm pretty pleased with our FA haul. Our major deficiencies were addressed. The long list of we needs we had at the start of FA is down to looking for depth & competition for players we're ok with. Last off-season was spent gathering cast-offs so we could field a team. This off-season was spent getting NFL starter quality players into the holes we attempted to fill last year.

I'm as confused with everyone on Walden, but one thing to keep in mind is that Grig/Pag targeted/wanted him. He's not a guy we went after when the top guys were gone. So the Colts don't view him as a jag, even if we/posters here do.

Something I've been thinking about is what do we do with Bethea. This upcoming year is his contract year. He'll turn 29 over the summer and hasn't been the same player imo since the last few years. I'm willing to give him a pass of sorts as the last two years have been pretty rocky. But with most of our needs covered, I'm thinking it'd be good to look at a FS on day 2-3 of this draft. It is a nice feeling to think that we can use the draft for depth/youth as opposed to needing to find starters.

killxswitch
03-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Regarding Bethea, I actually do see Kenny Vaccaro as a possibility. He might go before we pick. But if he's there and the value at some other spots isn't, I could see him being the pick.

I've pretty much resigned myself to not taking an OLB in the 1st. We have Hughes, Sidbury, and (ugh) Walden. Probably aren't going to take another one unless the value is incredible.

RagingColt
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Stanton did sign with the the Colts West. I like Mr. Irrelevant from last years draft but now we're in the market for a backup QB. Unfortunately that means we're down to the likes of Jason Campell or Fitz. Ugh.

RCAChainGang
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm okay with either as long as they don't take snaps and don't want too much money. :)

killxswitch
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
WTF is Grigson thinking with Walden? $4 mil guaranteed was bad enough, but Bob McGinn is saying it's actually $8 million guaranteed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198101541.html

$8 million for a 2 down run stopping OLB? Are you kidding me???

RagingColt
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Francois is signed to a $22 Mil deal. Should be the starter in the DT rotation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9052900/2013-nfl-free-agency-indianapolis-colts-add-ricky-jean-francois-retooled-defense

MaxV
03-14-2013, 03:12 PM
That's a bit much for Francois, isn't it? Is he really good vs. run?

fishspinners
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
WTF is Grigson thinking with Walden? $4 mil guaranteed was bad enough, but Bob McGinn is saying it's actually $8 million guaranteed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198101541.html

$8 million for a 2 down run stopping OLB? Are you kidding me???
Ryan Grigson 2012 GM of the year. I think he has a pretty good idea of what he is doing.

killxswitch
03-15-2013, 08:55 AM
That's a bit much for Francois, isn't it? Is he really good vs. run?

I think it's a bit high, but teams overpay in the first few days of free agency. I don't think we overpaid by a lot, and I do think he will improve the front 7 significantly. Yes, he is a strong run defender. Here's a quick blurb on him from AP:

Colts add DL Jean Francois to list of new players

By MICHAEL MAROT (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 4 hours ago
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indianapolis Colts are on a defensive spending spree.
Less than 24 hours after adding Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry to the roster, the Colts struck two more deals, this time landing San Francisco defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois and re-signing cornerback Darius Butler. Terms of the deals were not immediately available.
The latest moves are intended to help revamp a traditionally undersized defense that has played a secondary role to quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and the offense over the 15 seasons. Now, suddenly, the Colts are getting bigger, stronger and deeper, enough to convince Francois this was the team he wanted to be with.
''The Colts have always been known for their offense, but sometime we've got to change the trend and become a defensive team, too,'' Francois told reporters on a hastily arranged conference call Thursday. ''They're getting a versatile player, a big dude that can do just about anything you want him to do besides punt and kick field goals.''
Indy is certainly making headway in changing its defensive image after using its first four draft picks last April exclusively on offense - taking Luck, tight ends Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen and receiver T.Y. Hilton - and then bringing in three new starting offensive linemen during the offseason.
This offseason started in the same fashion. The Colts immediately signed right tackle Gosder Cherilus and guard Donald Thomas to big deals to help protect Luck. Cherilus' contract is for five years and $35 million with a $10 million signing bonus and $16.5 million guaranteed. Thomas' deal is reportedly for four years and $14 million.
Since then, the Colts have been fixated exclusively on defense.
They signed cornerback linebacker Lawrence Sidbury, cornerback Greg Toler and linebacker Erik Walden on Tuesday. Late Wednesday night, they agreed to a four-year deal worth $24 million, with $14 million guaranteed, to get the big-hitting Landry.
And now they've added Francois, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound defensive lineman who some believed was the only free agent capable of playing all three defensive line positions in the 3-4 defense Indianapolis switched to last season. That wasn't the only reason he picked Indy. Francois is a Miami native, where coach Chuck Pagano coached in college and where receiver Reggie Wayne works out during the offseason, and he's played previously for Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.
''I talked to Manusky, a guy that coached me when I first got into the league. He gave me my first shot. Me and him were laughing a majority of the time. Drake Nevis, it was good to see him once again and to be playing beside him again,'' Francois said of his former college teammate at LSU. ''And Coach (Pagano), I loved him just talking to him and hearing what he was saying, it was like I already knew who he was because he coached down at Miami and he knew a lot of the things I already knew.''
How have the Colts done all this?
They went into free agency about $40 million under the salary cap, and general manager Ryan Grigson made it clear he didn't want high-priced, older, big-name players. Instead he opted to stay true to his mission - keeping the Colts young and bringing in players who were better fits in the new system.
Jim Irsay, who has never been shy about spending money but has never made this big a splash in free agency since replacing his late father as team owner, gave Grigson the latitude to do whatever he thought necessary.
Francois comes to Indy after making a career-high 51 tackles for the 49ers last season and recording both of his sacks in San Francisco's final three regular-season games.
''Ricky is a quick, aggressive and extremely powerful player,'' Grigson said in a statement released by the team. ''He has been a mainstay the last four years within a dominant NFL defense with a lot of special players. He not only has familiarity with our scheme, but he is versatile enough to play any of our defensive line positions. At 26 years old, we feel the arrow is pointing straight up and we're looking forward to him making a big impact for us this coming season.''
Butler was New England's second-round pick in 2009 and joined the Colts in September as a free agent.
He wound up playing in 11 games, making four starts, picking off a career-high four interceptions and returning two for touchdowns. He will likely be in a backup role behind Vontae Davis, the former first-round pick Indy got in a trade with Miami just before last season's opening game, and the recently signed Toler.
And Francois likes the way things are shaping up in Indy.
''Yeah, you could say that basically this is a new start,'' Francois said. ''Because like everybody will get in on time and sit down and talk to each other and basically get a relationship going on and get a bond going on. Because the biggest thing is you want everyone is to become a family. There's going to be new faces around here but you want to become a family real quick. That's how teams become successful.''

Ryan Grigson 2012 GM of the year. I think he has a pretty good idea of what he is doing.

I mostly trust Grigson but he is not perfect. I highly doubt Walden lives up to his contract. And with $8 mil guaranteed we can't even cut him after one year if he indeed sucks like everyone else in the league thinks he will.

falloutboy14
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Walden's contract has all of the guaranteed money in the first two years. All off the non-guaranteed in the last two.

Also, I just checked and Luck's contract is 4 years with the 5th year as a team option. So all of these 4 year deals are leading up to that point. Will be some decisions to make at that point, though by that point all these guys will be 32, so not that tough.

MaxV
03-15-2013, 09:57 AM
If he can play all three 3-4 positions (that's very rare), then it's an absolutely a good deal.

Sounds like upgrading run defense specifically was a big priority for our front office.

Francois stuffs the run on the line, Landry is like having another LB vs. run and it sounds like they view Walden as a guy who will help in that regard also.

fishspinners
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Looking at Walden's bio and career stats I don't see how this guy got that contract. Grigson and the scouts had to really see something in this guy.

RCAChainGang
03-17-2013, 02:15 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/irsay-says-another-colts-deal-is-coming/

Irsay saying a big deal might be coming.

My guess is Cruz. That would be so cool. Although trading picks sucks because we have so little.

falloutboy14
03-17-2013, 09:44 AM
With his RFA status is it possible to trade him for a 3rd? Or do we have to offer him a contract then do the 1st round pick thing where the Giants can match.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-17-2013, 10:22 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/irsay-says-another-colts-deal-is-coming/

Irsay saying a big deal might be coming.

My guess is Cruz. That would be so cool. Although trading picks sucks because we have so little.

What's the latest on that? Our whole giants MB is following that. Anyone live in Indy? What's their sports talk radio saying? It looked like Irsay was drunk when he posted all that.

But I am interested to see if it is for Cruz or not. He said WR, and here is no one else left, so I am thinking it is Cruz.

killxswitch
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
I've heard speculation about Cruz, Miles Austin, Jeremy Maclin, Desean Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald. But haven't heard anything new since late last night/early this morning.

RCAChainGang
03-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Not Cruz.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/17/irsay-indicates-colts-looking-at-receiver-other-than-victor-cruz/

Remember how we said Giants executive Steve Tisch believes someone will try to sign receiver Victor Cruz away in restricted free agency?

Well, the Colts don’t appear to be an immediate suitor for Cruz, owner Jim Irsay said Sunday evening, per multiple reports from Phoenix, where the NFL is holding its annual meeting.

Irsay, of course, has indicated that the Colts are looking at adding to their wide receiver corps. ”We’d like to get another receiver. Got one targeted,” Irsay said Sunday, according to Tom Rock of Newsday.

But Cruz isn’t the receiver the Colts have their eye on, Irsay indicated.

“(It’s) not Cruz, no,” Irsay said, according to Jim Corbett of USA Today. Other NFL writers wrote similarly on Twitter.

So there we have it.

Cruz is No. 3 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100. But he’s not the one receiver who has the Colts’ attention right now, apparently.

My guess now is Doug Baldwin. He played for Stanford with Luck and Pep Hamilton.

EDIT: Maclin would also be interesting.

Overall though I think I would rather just draft one rather than lose a pick.

killxswitch
03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah I'm not interested in losing more picks unless it's for a seriously good WR. Maclin and especially Baldwin (and I've even heard Josh Cribbs) don't really fit that bill. Even Cruz would've been frustrating since we have TY already on the roster.

MaxV
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
How often does 1 team get Mr. Irrelevant 2 years in a row?

Apparently that is our only compensation pick.

I hope they make it count.

MaxV
03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
And we got our veteran back-up QB, Matt Hasselbeck.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/519/matt-hasselbeck

Good signing.

killxswitch
03-19-2013, 08:42 AM
It's a solid signing but I wonder about the price. I also wish we'd get another guard already. Brandon Moore and Kevin Boothe are still out there.

RCAChainGang
03-19-2013, 08:50 AM
It's a solid signing but I wonder about the price. I also wish we'd get another guard already. Brandon Moore and Kevin Boothe are still out there.

For some reason I feel like they are done. But yes I wholeheartedly agree with you.

killxswitch
03-19-2013, 08:58 AM
For some reason I feel like they are done. But yes I wholeheartedly agree with you.

IMO that is not good enough. Can't count on getting a good guard in the draft. I'm not sad we signed Toler but I wish we'd gotten a guard like Vasquez instead and went for a corner in the draft.

Seamus2602
03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
IMO that is not good enough. Can't count on getting a good guard in the draft. I'm not sad we signed Toler but I wish we'd gotten a guard like Vasquez instead and went for a corner in the draft.

I would disagree. While I would have liked to signed Vasquez or one of the other top guards available I would say that this year's guard class is better than this year's cornerback class. We will have a better chance of finding a good guard than a good corner.

killxswitch
03-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Just signed Aubrayo Franklin.

falloutboy14
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
He ended last year on IR with a knee injury. Hopefully he, McKinney, & Chapman can share the load enough so that they're all healthy at the end of the season.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Really starting to want Jesse Williams on our team. If Chapman is healthy he and Williams would be a great start to a dominant line. If the top OT's are gone I would want him as our next option.

EDIT: Any update on Ben Ijalana? Is he still with us?

killxswitch
03-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Still on the team but I don't expect anything from him.

RCAChainGang
03-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Still on the team but I don't expect anything from him.

Same here, And the fact that Peyton didn't like him makes me thinks he doesn't have the right attitude for our team.

killxswitch
03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Who knows. Maybe with a new OC and new offensive system they'll get something out of him. If he could even just be a solid backup that would help a lot.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Starting to gather from other colts boards people think we need a receiver. I don't think we should touch one till the 4th round at the earliest.

Edit: Maybe if tavon austin fell to us

falloutboy14
03-23-2013, 12:00 AM
I like DeAndre Hopkins in the first. Not overly fast, but a polished route runner. Seems like he could turn into a Reggie Wayne if things go right. Come to think of it, we're very shallow at WR. If Wayne gets injured, Brazil is starting.

Interesting fact: aside from missing 3 games his rookie year (probably while he was developing), Reggie has played in all 16 games 11 seasons in a row.

Also, what are people's thoughts on Hilton playing on the outside. Is there a quality or skill that's different form playing inside?

killxswitch
03-23-2013, 08:02 AM
One thing to remember is to count Allen and Fleener as receivers. We will be running 2 TE sets a lot. If Wayne gets injured (and he hasn't missed a game in a long time) then the top 3 targets are Allen, Hilton, and Fleener. Still pretty thin, but it's not like Brazill would become the 2nd read in most packages.

If we picked up a WR in the 1st I would not mind as long as it was actually a good value. I don't want to reach on one.

Grigson told Hilton to put on 10 lbs. in the offseason. Presumably so he could play more on the outside and not get pushed around. In the slot he gets open by being fast and shifty and blowing past LBs, safeties, and nickel corners. On the outside he would be facing faster and more-talented corners. That means he needs to develop his routes, learn to get off jams and handfight, and really perfect a few moves to create separation. He will never be the type that muscles his way open obviously. Speed isn't enough, there are lots of fast corners or strong corners that won't let him get away. I'm not convinced Hilton has what it takes to play full-time on the outside.

I guess I've talked myself into thinking we need a WR2.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
One thing to remember is to count Allen and Fleener as receivers. We will be running 2 TE sets a lot. If Wayne gets injured (and he hasn't missed a game in a long time) then the top 3 targets are Allen, Hilton, and Fleener. Still pretty thin, but it's not like Brazill would become the 2nd read in most packages.

If we picked up a WR in the 1st I would not mind as long as it was actually a good value. I don't want to reach on one.

Grigson told Hilton to put on 10 lbs. in the offseason. Presumably so he could play more on the outside and not get pushed around. In the slot he gets open by being fast and shifty and blowing past LBs, safeties, and nickel corners. On the outside he would be facing faster and more-talented corners. That means he needs to develop his routes, learn to get off jams and handfight, and really perfect a few moves to create separation. He will never be the type that muscles his way open obviously. Speed isn't enough, there are lots of fast corners or strong corners that won't let him get away. I'm not convinced Hilton has what it takes to play full-time on the outside.

I guess I've talked myself into thinking we need a WR2.
The first sentence I completely agree with and people don't seem to understand that. I think next year will be a big year for Fleener and Allen. I would just rather invest in either line, OLB, CB with our top 2 picks then in round 4 hope someone like Da'Rick Rodgers is there.

RCAChainGang
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/darrius-heyward-bey-plans-visit-with-colts/

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Heyward-Bey is expected to visit with the Colts soon, possibly as early as today.

What do you guys think?

killxswitch
03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
I think as long as we don't pay him a lot he could be a solid #2. He had a very strong 2011 season with Carson Palmer throwing the football. And, if Reggie can be a mentor for a couple seasons, DHB might learn to catch the ball, run some decent routes, and be a good target for Luck at a bargain price. I like the idea, just don't want to pay him a lot when he's been a disappointment for the #7 overall pick.

MaxV
03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
He is certainly talented. Could be a great get if we get him cheap enough.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
He is certainly talented. Could be a great get if we get him cheap enough.

He had a really good 2011. Almost had 1000 yards in 15 games. If he wants to play and gets out of the black hole Oakland he could be a pretty good player.

RagingColt
03-25-2013, 11:17 PM
He's worth a cheap contract. If he doesn't prove his worth in training camp then we can cut him. Upside is huge and he's had less than stellar QB play over the years.

killxswitch
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I think he's become underrated and I hope we sign him.

RagingColt
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Players the Colts have supposedly worked out thus far:

Anthony Capasso, WR, Ashland (PRO)
DeWayne Cherrington, DL, Mississippi State (PRO)
Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)
Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh (EW)
MarQueis Gray, TE, Minnesota (PRI)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM) (INT)
Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (SR)
Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific (COM)
Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (SR)
Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (PRI)
Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)
Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW)
Earl Watford, OL, James Madison (EW)
Duke Williams, S, Nevada (PRI)
Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina (SR)
Quinton Patton, WR LA Tech
Colby Cameron QB LA Tech
Khaled Holmes C USC - Pags present

I'm quite high on Thomas as a mid to late round pick. Seems odd we're omitting pass rushers. Anyone else heard who we might have been in contact with?

killxswitch
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I think our LB coach worked with Damontre Moore a lot at his pro day.

RCAChainGang
03-29-2013, 12:07 AM
I think our LB coach worked with Damontre Moore a lot at his pro day.

Tell me this isn't just wishful thinking. :D

RagingColt
03-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Anyone else think that Marcus Lattimore might be worth our 4th round pick? Or is that something we address with our 6th or 7th rounders? If we don't add a RB this year, I think we spend a fairly high one next year in the draft after Brown is let go. For '13 I'm ok with Ballard, Brown and Carter though having someone like Lattimore who might play some late in the year and possibly start next year would be gravy.

I'm thinking we need to add in order the following in the draft this year - 1. Pass Rusher 2. Wide Receiver 3. Guard to play what ever spot Donald Thomas doesn't start at. We could use depth at CB, S and OLB as well though we're limited with the # of picks we have.

RCAChainGang
03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Anyone else think that Marcus Lattimore might be worth our 4th round pick? Or is that something we address with our 6th or 7th rounders? If we don't add a RB this year, I think we spend a fairly high one next year in the draft after Brown is let go. For '13 I'm ok with Ballard, Brown and Carter though having someone like Lattimore who might play some late in the year and possibly start next year would be gravy.

I'm thinking we need to add in order the following in the draft this year - 1. Pass Rusher 2. Wide Receiver 3. Guard to play what ever spot Donald Thomas doesn't start at. We could use depth at CB, S and OLB as well though we're limited with the # of picks we have.

I'd draft BPA that remotely fills a need.

But my needs are as follows:

#1a OG - Luck will make people look good as long as we keep him standing up. We can't afford to have a weak link and even if we don't depth would help for when someone inevitably goes down.

#1b WR - I'm glad Avery is gone because he dropped passes as did Hilton, but he is a rookie and is much more talented. Reggie is getting old, TY is a slot, and I'm not sure about Brazil to be honest. I would be more comfortable with someone like Keenan Allen on the roster. Someone to mold as a #1 and to play #2 with TY in the slot.

#3 OLB - I don't think this will get drafted very high. We signed our scrubs in FA. If I were the GM I would focus on drafting an OLB, but if I were GM I wouldn't have signed Walden. Granted, I trust Grigson. It does seem like we just brought in a lot of run stuffers. I would like to get someone who rushers the passer. I'm sure Grigson will want to see what his investment brings unless someone stupidly falls in the draft.

#4 CB - I'm not sold on Toler. Injury concerns and past him our depth is questionable. Vaughn played decently, but I would rather him not see the field. Darius Butler actually showed some spark. He might be a legitimate nickel, but If a guy like Trufant is on the board then I would gladly take him.

#5 C - I am still not sure what is going on here. I'm really hoping Satele doesn't touch the ball again. A.Q. Shipley is serviceable, but I would really like to get someone better. perhaps a guard we draft could serve as depth and/or center (Barret Jones in the 3rd?).

#6 RB - The only one of these RBs that I believe in is Ballard. Brown has been a disappointment and constantly is injured. Unfortunately the same is true with Delone Carter. I'm not sure we draft anyone because we should have a better line this year and Ballard might have a big year if so.

MaxV
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't rule out OLB as our 1st rounder. Grigson has acknowledged in a recent interview that he doesn't think a team can have enough pass-rushers and if the right one is on board, he would consider him.

It's a top need imo. We do not have enough pass-rushers.

I also don't think WR needs to be a 1st rounder. Reggie isn't done, I'm a big believer in Hilton and I think Fleener can take a big step forward next year. Still, adding another solid guy is important.

killxswitch
03-30-2013, 09:20 AM
We for sure need an OLB. We don't have a #1 pass rusher on the roster.

RagingColt
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Pags was at the USC pro day according to the whores of Stampedeblue.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/4/1/4168690/2013-nfl-draft-colts-hc-chuck-pagano-attends-usc-pro-day-khaled-holmes

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Got DHB giggidy

RagingColt
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Paul K via espn reports it is worth up to 3 million for one year. Hopefully he's a faster version of Avery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/48687/colts-have-low-risk-with-heyward-bey

falloutboy14
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
From what I've read on DHB, he's not so much a deep threat, as he is a short-intermediate receiver, who has the wheels to out-run the defense. Luck will obviously be the best QB he's played with (JaMarcus, Jason Campbell, Carson Palmer), so hopefully they can get something done together. He's had 3 starting QBs in 4 years, so its possible he just hasn't had a chance to form that chemistry.

MaxV
04-02-2013, 07:05 AM
I like this deal. He can stretch the field and open things up for Reggie and the gang. I actually wouldn't have mind a multi-year deal as he is still pretty young and can thrive here.

Seamus2602
04-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Just thought I'd post what I think the needs are for the Draft.

1. Offensive Guard

The Colts have 7 Guards currently on the Roster. I am only comfortable in calling one of them, Donald Thomas, starting calibre, while two of them are practice squad/camp body type players, while another, Ben Ijalana, has never been healthy and may be cut. The remaining three players are not only not particularly good but also free agents at the end of next season. Not only do the Colts need to bring in another starter for the Right Guard position but could also do with bringing in a backup Guard in the event that Link, Reitz and McGlynn are all gone at the end of next season.

2. Pass Rusher

Pass Rusher is a difficult one to rate. The Colts have brought in two Free Agents and have four OLB who would expect playing time (the Colts only had 4 OLB with more than 100 snaps last year). There is also a fair amount of money invested in those 4 players ($16M this year, $15M next year, and that is with one Free Agent). That being said the ability at those positions leaves a little to be desired. Walden will be a purely two down player who offers nothing as a pass rusher. Mathis was pretty poor last year against the run. Hughes has shown flashes but never put it all together, while Sibury only played limited snaps last year. So there is a need here but I don’t believe there is necessarily the room to bring in another guy unless it is for a player the team can’t not take.

3. Free Safety

Antoine Bethea regressed quite badly last season. Additionally he is a Free Agent at the end of next season. While Bethea has been a great servant to the franchise and leader in that secondary it is probably getting to the state where the team need to consider bring in someone to replace him. I wouldn’t mind the team bringing in a later round guy with upside to backup this year and replace him next year.

4. Inside Linebacker

The Colts had a tale of two spots last season at ILB. On one hand Freeman was the definition of an every down player (playing all but 15 snaps throughout the entire season). On the other there was the definition of a committee system at the other ILB position. Some people refer to a split like that as 2 down and 3rd down type split. In reality the modern NFL this has nothing to do with downs and everything to do with situations, with a 2 down player being a player in an obvious rushing situation and a 3rd down player being a player in an obvious passing situation. The Colts had both of those last year with run specialist Kavell Conner, who was probably the team’s best run stopper all season, and Moise Fokou, who was a passing down specialist, and was also very good at that. But the Colts added a third piece to the puzzle when Pat Angerer returned from injury by creating, for all intents and purposes, a non-obvious situational player. If it was an obvious rushing down Conner went in. If it was an obvious passing situation Fokou went in. If it was neither and the D didn’t know what the Offense was going to run they sent in Pat Angerer. The reason this is a need is threefold. Firstly Moise Fokou has left the team with the team making little attempt to resign him (which wouldn’t have been difficult as he signed a 2 year, $2.8M contract with the Titans). The Colts probably intend to use Angerer as the permanent ILB and spell him on run downs with Conner. This brings me to the other reasons for concern. Both Conner and Angerer are Free Agents next year. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team bring in some help at Inside Linebacker in the draft.

5. Defensive End

The Colts have six players under contract at Defensive End and three of them are out of contract at the end of next season (one of whom may even start the season on PUP). While the Colts are set at starter with Cory Redding and RJF the depth is a little thin behind them and what depth there is will largely be out of contract by the end of the season.

6. Cornerback

The Colts look, talent wise, pretty set at Cornerback. Vontae Davis is a Free Agent next season but will almost certainly be resigned, while I’m a big fan of Greg Toler as a player. That being said the problem is always going to be depth. Between the two of them Davis and Toler and have played only 52% of snaps over the last three season, a number that drops to 34% when you consider only the previous two seasons. Sufficient depth is needed behind them. There were stretches last season when both starting Corners were out injured and I would not be shocked if something similar occurs this year. Darius Butler looks to be a very good Nickle Cornerback but beyond him you have Cassius Vaughn and Josh Gordy, two players roasted any time they went to the outside. With Davis, Vaughn and Gordy all being Free Agents next season as well I wouldn’t be shocked if the team targeted Cornerback sometime in the draft.

7. Offensive Tackle

While I’m pretty happy with both the starters and their general durability it still doesn’t help to have good backup options as well (especially with Cherilus’ knee operation). While Link could potentially backup both positions next season he is both a free agent at the end of next year and pretty bad. So bringing in a swing tackle could be a good option.

8. Wide Receiver

The Colts had two main problems at the Wide Receiver position. Firstly there is a need to replace and upgrade over Donnie Avery. T.Y. Hilton is suited more for the slot WR position, though he is apparently on an offseason program to improve his strength to improve his play on the outside. Either way LaVon Brazill as the 3rd receiver on the team is not good enough. He is adequate backup and spell option but not as a permanent receiver. This has probably been settled, at least in the short term by the signing of DHB. There is still a need though. The team probably need to bring in a project player to backup and eventually replace Reggie Wayne.

9. Running Back

The Colts have virtually the same group of RBs this year as last year (only Mewelde Moore is gone). The Colts had the 22nd rated rushing attack last year and that was behind a poor offensive line. The same group of RBs with an improved line should deliver a better rushing attack. Donald Brown is a free agent next season and the Colts could do with a better receiver out of the backfield.

Areas with no needs

Quarterback
Full Back
Center
Tight End
Nose Tackle
Strong Safety

MaxV
04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Nice list, Seamus.

The first 2 are the most obvious needs. As a matter of fact I view OG and OLB as 1a and 1b needs. You can make a case for either to be on top.

After that it gets a bit cloudier.

DE is a strange position in 3-4. Historically, it's really not much of a pass-rushing position. With that being said, if you truly want to have a dominant defense, you want to have at least one DE that consistantly penetrates. We don't really have that. Redding was that ones, but he's just slightly above average now and getting worse.

Now, let me just say that I've been a fan of AQ Shipley ever since his PSU days. But he is average at best. And Satale sucks. We are not set at OC at all.

I would also put RB significantly higher on the list then 9th. Unless he suddenly turns into a star overnight, I don't think Brown will be with the team for much longer. Ballard is good, but I would like to have another talented back, preferably with good hands and open field speed.

Seamus2602
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Nice list, Seamus.

The first 2 are the most obvious needs. As a matter of fact I view OG and OLB as 1a and 1b needs. You can make a case for either to be on top.

After that it gets a bit cloudier.

DE is a strange position in 3-4. Historically, it's really not much of a pass-rushing position. With that being said, if you truly want to have a dominant defense, you want to have at least one DE that consistantly penetrates. We don't really have that. Redding was that ones, but he's just slightly above average now and getting worse.

Now, let me just say that I've been a fan of AQ Shipley ever since his PSU days. But he is average at best. And Satale sucks. We are not set at OC at all.

I would also put RB significantly higher on the list then 9th. Unless he suddenly turns into a star overnight, I don't think Brown will be with the team for much longer. Ballard is good, but I would like to have another talented back, preferably with good hands and open field speed.

The 3-4 D tends to not need a significant penetrator, not in the style of 3-4 the Colts play anyway. It is about control, and dominating their individual matchups, both in the passing game and the rushing game. In the passing game the idea is to control the OT so that the OLB aren't matched up on a Tackle. So I'm comfortable enough with a lack of a penetrator at DE.

At Center I would say the team are going to give Satele another chance. I was also a big fan of Shipley coming out of college and he played well in limited time last season. Satele was poor last season but if you look at his previous seasons he was very good. He was also playing with significantly below par Guards on both sides of him. The Colts have upgraded the Left Guard position and if they can do the same with the Right Guard position then I believe Satele will play better. If he doesn't then the team will re-evaluate at that stage but I do believe it is premature to do so now.

The big thing about running back is the increasing fact in the modern NFL that you don't need elite level backs to have an elite level rushing attack. Look at what Washington did last year with a good scheme, good offensive line and a 6th Round Running Back. The fact is that the main thing that has caused the Colts poor rushing attack in the last few years has not been a lack of talent at the RB position. It has been poor Offensive Line play. The line is improving. The scheme is improving in terms of running the ball. So I'd expect the rushing attack to improve even with current talent at the RB position.

That being said I agree it would be good to find a scat back. I wanted the Colts to sign Danny Woodhead this offseason. The problem is though is that the Colts have more needs than picks and I don't believe it is as much of a priority than the other positions.

MaxV
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I wanted Colts to give Karim a longer look. He looked really impressive last pre-season. But I guess they just don't like him. It would be nice to have a guy who can turn a small screen pass into a 20+ yard gain. It would give our offense another good option.

Seamus2602
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Ultimately it isn't a great year for Running Backs but someone like McCalebb, if you can look past his extremely small stature, will probably be available with a late 7th Round pick, maybe an UDFA.

RagingColt
04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Paul K posted the following for our needs list heading into the draft. I'd say he offers valid points at each position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/48724/reassessing-the-colts-needs

The Colts have restocked their roster in a big way since free agency opened, adding 10 veterans from the outside.

Some are sure to be upgrades, like right tackle Gosder Cherilus and safety LaRon Landry. Others require a wait-and-see approach as we find out how strongside linebacker Erik Walden and defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois fare with expanded roles.

Despite an 11-win season, Indianapolis headed toward the second season of Ryan Grigson as the general manager, Chuck Pagano as the head coach and Andrew Luck as the quarterback with some significant holes.

With all the additions, the pressure to find answers at certain spots in the draft is significantly lightened. That makes for a far better atmosphere in which to draft.

Here’s my assessment of what they've done to fill roster gaps and what now rank as the team’s primary needs with the draft drawing near.

Offensive line -- Cherilus is a physical player who can help change and set a better tone for a position that simply didn’t have enough talent last season. Donald Thomas will upgrade a guard slot as well. Is it enough? I think they should add at least one more lineman in the draft who can contend for a guard spot or at center.

Cornerback -- Greg Toler could be a fine second starter, but they qualify as three deep at best with Vontae Davis, Toler and Darius Butler. They have to have another solid guy in the mix, and the draft should provide someone who will automatically qualify as better than Cassius Vaughn.

Wide receiver -- Can they get more out of Darrius Heyward-Bey than they got out of Donnie Avery? I would think so. Is DHB going to be the ultimate successor to Reggie Wayne? I highly doubt it. They need to be looking for that guy to go with T.Y. Hilton, their lone long-term sure thing at the position.

Safety -- LaRon Landry is a significant upgrade over Tom Zbikowski. He and Antoine Bethea should be a nice tandem. Joe Lefeged is fine as depth. But in a good safety year and with Bethea heading into his eighth season, I think it would be a good move to add a young player at the spot.

Outside linebacker -- Walden was a controversial addition, but they’ve emphasized his ability to set the edge. That does not make for much of a pass rush opposite Robert Mathis. I hope they aren’t counting on big production from Jerry Hughes or Lawrence Sidbury. They still need a pass-rushing outside 'backer.

Defensive end -- They resigned Fili Moala and hope Cory Redding will be more durable. Newcomer Ricky Jean Francois could start outside and move inside in nickel. Another guy in that mix wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Running back -- Vick Ballard, Donald Brown and Delone Carter are the three-pack that will return. Ballard showed a lot of promise, but the other two are not sure things. Bruce Arians’ offense didn’t throw to backs much. Pep Hamilton’s offense will do so more. If Grigson sees a versatile back as a value, I expect he’ll add one.

Defensive tackle -- Went from being a need to not being a need. Jean Francois will play some tackle and some end. Aubrayo Franklin can be an early-down run-stopper. And they expect Brandon McKinney and Josh Chapman to be healthy and equipped to contribute. They could have a lot of options at this spot who fit the 3-4 front.

Quarterback -- They did well replacing Drew Stanton with Matt Hasselbeck as Luck’s backup. The No. 2 was never going to come from the draft.

fishspinners
04-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm getting the feeling that when our pick in the first rolls around, we trade back. There seems to be a great amount of players in the second and third round area that can contribute immediately. I think there will be a good amount of teams willing to trade up to our pick for a QB that they didn't want spend a top 10 pick on but also don't believe there guy will be there once there pick rolls around in the second.
Players like Werner from FSU and Moore from TAMU have lost some steam as the whole player evaluation phase has progressed. I would love either of these guys as an rush OLB in our scheme.
I still think WR is a huge need for us as well, even with the signing of DHB. If DHB has a good year with us and signs a long term extension, that would be great but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I think there is a solid chance one of the two big guards(Warmack/Cooper) may be there at 24 but then again, they could be long gone. That would be a gift from the gods if either were available IMO.

killxswitch
04-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm sure Grigson would like to trade down, or at least have that option, but I am not so sure the trading partner is going to be there.

MaxV
04-08-2013, 07:34 AM
The idea of trading down intrigues me. As I've mentioned before, this draft it tailor made for our team.

But if a guy they are very high on is there, he'll just pick.

falloutboy14
04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Something I read (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-contract-rules-could-help-matt-barkley--other-qbs-get-drafted-in-first-round-150546269.html) was that according to the CBA, first round picks have the built-in team option for a 5th year. So teams drafting in the first round get an extra year at a bargain price. So the 32nd pick is excessively more valuable than the 33rd, since 32 is a 5 year deal, 33 is a 4 year deal. Think about the value of getting an extra year on a cheap starting QB, and what effect that has on your cap. Is that worth a 3rd/4th to move from 36 into the late 20's?

RagingColt
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Something I read (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-contract-rules-could-help-matt-barkley--other-qbs-get-drafted-in-first-round-150546269.html) was that according to the CBA, first round picks have the built-in team option for a 5th year. So teams drafting in the first round get an extra year at a bargain price. So the 32nd pick is excessively more valuable than the 33rd, since 32 is a 5 year deal, 33 is a 4 year deal. Think about the value of getting an extra year on a cheap starting QB, and what effect that has on your cap. Is that worth a 3rd/4th to move from 36 into the late 20's?

I would certainly think it would be worth a mid round pick to move up if I'm looking at this from the other teams perspective. Would be beneficial for Grigson to do so but you need someone in desperation mode QB wise.

QBs that might be late 1st round picks:

Nassib
Barkley
Manuel
Glennon
Wilson
Bray

Teams that might need a QB plus relevant draft picks they would have to get back into the 1st round.

Buffalo Bills -

Current QBs on roster . . . Kolb and Javaris Jackson which isn't exactly an art in confidence building. Even if they think Kolb is a starter for this year, I doubt they view him as a long term solution.

Round 2 (#41), Round 3 (#71), Round 4 (#105)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Gabbert and Henne. . . . Gabbert is on his last ride this year and Henne seems like a stop gap at best though he's shown the ability to win some games. Neither to me scream LTS/Long Term Solution.

Round 2 (#33), Round 3 (#64). Round 4 (#98)

Philadelphia Eagles
Nick Foles, Trent Edwards and Dennis Dixon . . . Dixon is familiar with Kelly's offense but has never been a full time NFL starter. Foles showed promise in Reid's offense but is miscast now. Trend Edwards . . . is Trent Edwards, need we say more.

Round 2 (#35), Round 3 #67), Round 4 (#101)

Oakland Raiders
Matt Flynn and Leinhart . . . Matt & Matt . . . Flynn has started a whopping two games going into his 6th season.

Round 4 (#100)

New York Jets
Sanchize, Greg McElroy, Gawd himself . . . McElroy played so so last year in limited duty, Sanchize regressed even more and Tebow never started a game.

Round 2 (#39), Round 3 (#72), Round 4 (#106)

I would think the Bills, Eagles and Raiders are for sure in play to draft one QB this year sometime in the draft and imo most likely to trade back into the 1st round to grab a QB. Find it hard this won't happen with teams desperate for players. Even if most don't grade out too high. The Jets will likely draft one sometime in the next two years, same goes for the Jaguars pending how '13 goes.

With the Raiders only owning one pick in the top 100, this would likely eliminate them from being a trading partner barring they trade a '14 2nd/3rd rounder. Find that unlikely as they'll be back on the right side of the salary cap by next season and McKenzie comes from GB where they value draft picks highly. I think the Jets/Ryan try to surround Sanchize with the most talent possible in a futile attempt to salvage Ryan's job. The Jaguars are pretty interesting as a trade partner. The new Gm has no allegiance at all for Gabbert and they'll look to do everything possible to improve their QB position. Do they stick it out with Gabby or suck for the #1 next year?