PDA

View Full Version : 2012 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 14: Dolphins at 49ers

Ness
12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Might as well get this started. I assume Borat won't have time to make the thread as he hasn't already.

I'm expecting a blowout at home against the Dolphins.

dan77733
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm expecting the same but then again, I was expecting us to blowout the Rams twice and well, we know how those two games went. Either way, im hoping we blowout the Dolphins. :)

Dolphins 13
49ers 34

phlysac
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I hope Brandon Jacobs plays his final game as a 49er. Better yet, I hope he sits on his a$$ for his final game as a 49er.

Ness
12-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Aldon Smith will get three sacks :D

49erNation85
12-08-2012, 10:31 PM
We just better not lose dam it. I see how in some way the Tie is gonna bit us in the butt. We got NE next and they could beat us ( hoping not ) We do need a big game ( points/ stats ) wise.

49ersfan_87
12-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't think it'll be a blowout, but i tend to get pessimistic after losses. Not overly so, but i just wonder if the problems that showed up in the previous loss won't happen consistently. Who knows what happens, i'm always nervous on game day though.

I am excited to see Jenkins and James though. Only took 12 games for our 1st and 2nd round picks to play lol

I hope Brandon Jacobs plays his final game as a 49er. Better yet, I hope he sits on his a$$ for his final game as a 49er.

http://i45.tinypic.com/rusj2a.jpg

His handle is Speed4527...his quote is They won't let me out...I tried

For some reason or the other, they're not letting him go...yet.

phlysac
12-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't think it'll be a blowout, but i tend to get pessimistic after losses. Not overly so, but i just wonder if the problems that showed up in the previous loss won't happen consistently. Who knows what happens, i'm always nervous on game day though.

I am excited to see Jenkins and James though. Only took 12 games for our 1st and 2nd round picks to play lol

http://i45.tinypic.com/rusj2a.jpg

His handle is Speed4527...his quote is They won't let me out...I tried

For some reason or the other, they're not letting him go...yet.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

Ness
12-09-2012, 03:36 AM
This has been a long week since that Rams game. Feels like it at least.

dan77733
12-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Today is a MUST WIN. We have the Patriots in NE and the Seahawks in SEA the next two weeks. Both of which could be losses. Today is a MUST WIN.

My main concern is the play calling. Roman/Harbaugh need to eliminate the crappy ass gimmick plays.

49erNation85
12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
This play calling today is mind boggling to say the least. We should be airing it out to Davis a lot more!! He hasn't been seen all half or second half. I just don't get it fans.

Plus this new formation with 3 HB is and Ck in the middle in shot gun?Seriously why run those and run the ball? Come on Jim!!

Ness
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Well game over. It was an ugly win, but whatever. I'm really worried about this team. I don't know if Kaepernick is going to be able to deliver in the playoffs. Other than that lucky run towards the end he didn't seem that impressive from the pocket. Hargaugh had to save him a couple of times from a delay of game penalty too. He did make some good throws though at times. But the entire reason we switched to him was because he had a "hot hand". This doesn't look like the same player since the Bears game really.

The defense underachieved a good amount of the day against the run and the pass. At least from what we are used to seeing. I was surprised how well the Dolphins protected Tannehill.

If we played this bad against the Dolphins at home it's going to be a nightmare against the Patriots on the road in primetime. And then there is Seattle who destroyed the Cardinals today. I'm hoping Buffalo gets a lucky win at home against the Seahawks next week, but I'm guessing that doesn't happen. The Seahawks might run the table at this point.

ViperVisor
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I guess it is something to do with the WR depth down but the playbook wrinkles have become about half the plays.

I don't see how in December how we can get all this stuff going seamlessly for the playoffs.

This stuff seems like playoff extras you'd mix in to surprise teams with stuff they haven't seen.

Now were gonna need to dig even deeper for a change of pace.

And all these moving parts could lead to a mistake that costs us another game and no bye to have that extra week of prep and practice.

I really don't know WTF we are doing. If we aren't confident to go with our usual gameplan with Kaepernick playing a pretty weak team at home what the heck are the next 2 tough games on the road gonna be like?
It's not like we had the game well in hand and just wanted to put some off the beaten path stuff on tape for strategy.

abaddon41_80
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Just got back from the sports bar and I am more encouraged than I was the last couple of games, at least. Kaepernick was on-target for the most part, missed Moss by like six inches on what would have been a touchdown, and the receivers were getting good YAC after almost none last week.

Still a little worried. Twenty points, with seven coming off of a drive starting inside the 10, with under two minutes left against the Dolphins is not great.

The defense was impressive as usual but I still feel like we didn't dominate that game like we have in almost all of our other victories this year.

Ness
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
At least James looked a lot better than I thought he would be. Too bad we didn't get to see what Jenkins could do.

Oh, and congratulations to Frank Gore for going over the 1,000 yard mark for the sixth time in his career. He also tied the all time franchise record for rushing touchdowns. Gore played his heart out in the third quarter today.

Having Manningham back for the Patriots would be nice. Crabtree is getting a lot of love in his absence it seems, which is good. It would be nice to have them both back. And I don't know why Vernon Davis isn't being targeted more often.

binary
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm fine with Kap right now, he did well imo from the pocket. The guy is fairly accurate and get it out pretty quick. What worries me is the playcalling. It seems like we are starting to rely on gimmicks to get anything big, or even to get anything key at all...it's not what I'm used to from an NFL Offense on a supposed 'contender'.

49ersfan_87
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Just got back from the sports bar and I am more encouraged than I was the last couple of games, at least. Kaepernick was on-target for the most part, missed Moss by like six inches on what would have been a touchdown, and the receivers were getting good YAC after almost none last week.

Still a little worried. Twenty points, with seven coming off of a drive starting inside the 10, with under two minutes left against the Dolphins is not great.

The defense was impressive as usual but I still feel like we didn't dominate that game like we have in almost all of our other victories this year.

I thought it was good, not great. I'm not entirely sure the points can be solely attributed to him. I hated the jumbo package on that 1 drive that got stuffed, and a sack on the next drive. Those kept us to 6 points instead of a potential 14.

I also really liked James debut. Only 8 carries for 30 yards but he seemed so much more explosive than those stats indicate. Came close to breaking 1 a couple of times too. He looks like a real weapon.

Now at 9-3-1, 1 more win clinches the playoffs. Even if we're 10-5-1, and every other team is 10-6, we win out because of that tie.

Want to clinch the 2 seed, we need win 1 more game than the Packers and/or Giants. Giants at 8 wins, Packers at 8 wins but playing tonight.

49ersfan_87
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm fine with Kap right now, he did well imo from the pocket. The guy is fairly accurate and get it out pretty quick. What worries me is the playcalling. It seems like we are starting to rely on gimmicks to get anything big, or even to get anything key at all...it's not what I'm used to from an NFL Offense on a supposed 'contender'.

I think we ran the zone/read all game. It frustrated me to no end but than we scored a TD when Kaep finally ran with it. That iced the game.

We need to be more agressive against the Patriots. We dictated matchups against the Bears, we need to do it against the Pats. We tend to play well in primetime too so hopefully our guys are fired up. Its inexcusable for Davis to be as invisible as he's been these last few weeks. It'll also be great to get Manningham back.

Ness
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes the playcalling has been atrocious in the last couple of weeks. I hate this option ****. Can't we just have a normal offense? Isn't Kaepernick ready for that? I don't want this offense to be the Carolina Panthers.

abaddon41_80
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I was actually yelling at Kaep to fall down on the touchdown. Two minutes left with a first down and your opponent having no timeouts is game over. A 14-point lead with two minutes left, but with opponent having the ball, is not a guaranteed victory.

Menardo75
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
The game was about what I expected. Dolphins have a solid defense and I figured they would keep it close for a half. Interesting that the last two teams have both basically sat in cover 4 and taken away the deep ball forcing all the intermediate throws and check downs.

Loved what I saw from Lamichael. If he keeps his footing the opening kickoff goes to the house. Also I believe it was the play before Kap's TD he slipped and had a TD if he kept his footing.

I like the way the Niners match up with the Patriots, and the Niners under Harbaugh have dominated on prime time should be fun to watch.

dan77733
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Happy we won but some observations -

1) I hate that power run formation. It's so damn predictable. Gore was stuffed by Dansby and he never had a chance whatsoever early in the game. Here and there but its run too often and im tired of seeing Tukuafau on offense as the FB. UGH.

2) Hate the shotgun option. Seriously, four players in the backfield??? Thats nuts. Granted, the TD came on that but I hate the formation. When it works, its great but its rare so why even take the chance?

3) Flea flicker was awesome. Shame that Moss didnt catch the ball but the defender was holding his arm and nothing was called.

4) Gore was his usual self. Want James to get more carries because we will definitely need Gore come playoff time and I dont want him being worn down. I like James a lot because he's basically another Hunter.

5) Kaepernick was solid and I must admit that im looking forward to the future with him at QB, Crabtree and Manningham at WR with Hunter and James at RB. We're going to have a fast paced finesse offense in two years once Gore is done.

6) The OL needs to play better when protecting Kaepernick. Davis especially.

7) Where was Vernon Davis? I dont even think he had a catch.

8) I dont see us re-signing Delanie Walker. Every week, he seems to be out of position lining up at the los and we have to burn a timeout because of it.

9) Akers was 2/2. Yay!!! :)

10) Defense was solid but im really hoping that Rogers is gone in the off-season because he gets beat too much in the slot and isnt worth the money plus its not even against an elite WR. He gets beat by average receivers in the slot. Maybe its just me but im not a fan of his.

11) Love Aldon Smith. Guy is a stud. And thankfully, we finally have a dominant legitimate pass rusher. Only took six years but better later than never.

12) Special teams was good and recovered a fumble.

Not dominating like I was hoping but a solid win and some momentum going into NE. All we have to do is use James more, release Jacobs and I'll be a happy camper.

49erNation85
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm with the rest of you about our play calling it has been weird to say the least the last few games.I dunno why Davis hasn't been passed to more either. I'm stomped on why we are trickery **** we our team and to regular run / pass plays instead of the wild cat. I also agree that i don't want us to turn into a Panthers offense but what ever. Hopefully it will chance and not kill us in the play offs or against NE. Because we really need to win the rest of games to get a bye.

JordanTaber
12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Kaepernick's completion percentaaaaaaaaaage was 78.3. OMG OMG OMG...:njx:

Kaepernick was lousy again, perfectly illustrating exactly why completion percentage doesn't mean a damn thing.

This offense is just painful to watch. Read-option with 3 back sets? Ugh...

I just feel bad for Michael Crabtree. The guy is a Pro Bowl receiver being wasted in this horrible offense.

49erNation85
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Really Jordan ?

It wasn't a bad just weird play calling is all. And yes I don't like the 3 back set read option it's a risk formation if something messes up.Lets go back to the ole I formations and one back set and passing to the TE like we used. VD is really hurting my FF team this year I thought he was going to have a good year stats but wrong. I dunno where he has gone this second of the season.

Menardo75
12-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm with the rest of you about our play calling it has been weird to say the least the last few games.I dunno why Davis hasn't been passed to more either. I'm stomped on why we are trickery **** we our team and to regular run / pass plays instead of the wild cat. I also agree that i don't want us to turn into a Panthers offense but what ever. Hopefully it will chance and not kill us in the play offs or against NE. Because we really need to win the rest of games to get a bye.

Play calling really wasn't that bad don't see what everyone's problem was with it. The power formation on third and short was about the only play call I had an issue with. I thought Roman did a great job calling the running game mixing Gore and James' skill sets.

49erNation85
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I think the main reason I was only a little up set was with the 3 back set read option play so many times in a row it seemed late in the game. As said before we need to get Davis in the game a lot more then we have last few games if we want beat NE.We need a passing attack. No option crap is really gonna work next week.

Menardo75
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I think the main reason I was only a little up set was with the 3 back set read option play so many times in a row it seemed late in the game. As said before we need to get Davis in the game a lot more then we have last few games if we want beat NE.We need a passing attack. No option crap is really gonna work next week.

Why are you so upset about it? James almost took one to the house then Kap did.

49erNation85
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I dunno I guess it just a weird formation for us to use and not used it.I don't think it will last long IMO.Some how our offense has changed formation type wise.We used to have the under center plays now it is a lot of shot gun back plays with Ck. Its not that I'm up set just confused and worried they are not going to last very long so why use them all that much.

Menardo75
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Kap ran the pistol his entire college career. It probably has more to do with making him feel comfortable, and utilizing his skill set in some of the ways Nevada did.

phlysac
12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Kap ran the pistol his entire college career. It probably has more to do with making him feel comfortable, and utilizing his skill set in some of the ways Nevada did.

They didn't use that formation a single time against the Bears, and he looked his best.

Sadly, I think they're trying to force plays that utilize Kaepernicks legs. I'm not lying when I started to think the offense looked alot like the one the Broncos ran last season.

I actually think it hurts the team to just stay in triple-option.

Menardo75
12-09-2012, 11:52 PM
They didn't use that formation a single time against the Bears, and he looked his best.

Sadly, I think they're trying to force plays that utilize Kaepernicks legs. I'm not lying when I started to think the offense looked alot like the one the Broncos ran last season.

I actually think it hurts the team to just stay in triple-option.

They scored on read option against the bears too.

Ness
12-10-2012, 01:20 AM
I have a feeling the 49ers are going to get embarrassed in the playoffs and be one and done if they try to keep running an offense like that. Why does Roman have to get all "creative" and outside his comfort zone? Just stick to what works consistently.

Menardo75
12-10-2012, 01:24 AM
I have a feeling the 49ers are going to get embarrassed in the playoffs and be one and done if they try to keep running an offense like that. Why does Roman have to get all "creative" and outside his comfort zone? Just stick to what works consistently.

Roman was extra creative today because of a very good Miami run defense. I doubt you are going to see the diamond pistol formation become a regular.

Ness
12-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Roman was extra creative today because of a very good Miami run defense. I doubt you are going to see the diamond pistol formation become a regular.

I hope so.

farfromforgotten
12-10-2012, 07:29 AM

I think they are still trying to find out exactly what they want to do offensively now with Kaep at QB. That is what was so dangerous about making the move to him at this point in the season. I lean more towards it being the right decision to go with Kaep than Alex at this point, mostly because I trust Harbaugh so much. Hopefully they get it all figured out before the playoffs start. I think they will.

I see James playing a bigger part going forward as well and I love it. Kaep and James have the ability to take it to the house every time they touch the ball and we haven't had a threat like that in a long time.

dan77733
12-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Agree with the ability in regards to James and Kaepernick out of that shotgun formation but I would rather see Roman run more basic and traditional formations so Kaepernick can get more comfortable running them for the playoffs.

If we dont get a bye, I can definitely see us being one and done. If we get the bye, depends on who we play. Definitely need that bye. Having a loss and a tie with the Rams really screwed us because those are the games that we're supposed to win.

Hopefully, we'll at least split the next two games.

VAfy-ya
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM

But we didn't run any pistol until America saw RG3 kill the Giants with it. Now all of a sudden, its 'let's show them this new wrinkle we got'. We always ran read-option but not the pistol or went primarily shotgun to run the ball. That's more gimmicky ****.

You can tell they're adding new wrinkles and different things because the plays don't look crisp. They look like plays they haven't run for a extended period of times. The timing looks off, which makes guys miss blocks and plays go no where. Some of that is because Gore's banged up and they need to lean on LMJ for carries now that Jacobs has showed his ass again. Hunter is on IR and I don't think they feel like LMJ isn't a decisive enough runner between the tackles to run him in regular sets so anytime he's in the game, you notice its something outside the tackles or something gimmicky to get him in space. Gore even said he has to learn to slow down and have more patience to allows seams to open up. Gore needs to be as fresh as possible heading into the post-season so as they get LMJ up to speed, they'll lean on stuff from his college days to help ease him into the regular offense and give Gore some rest. Remember, he was usually running the other teams offense on the scout team in practice. He still needs reps and continuity with the first team O-Line and things of that nature.

I'm not liking that JH wants to use CK like RG3 all of a sudden. Use the guy how you groomed him...to sit in the pocket, read defenses and throw the ball. I know he's uber athletic and all that but its like the media went crazy over RG3 and JH had this epiphany that hey, we can do that too. Yes you can to some degree but a lot of what the Skins do with Bob is because of his statue and the fact that he isn't a fully developed pocket passer yet. CK seemed to be ahead in the area early on, now all of a sudden they're switching it up. Don't out-think yourselves, do what is better for the entire offense as a whole, not just a few players.

Most ppl are mad because they thought the passing game was going to take off under CK. Just like I told ppl during the off-season, doesn't matter who the QB is, the offense will always be ball-control and balanced under JH. You look at the pass attempts and passing yards per game from when Alex was the starter and since CK has taken over and they're pretty much the same. And unless the game dictates we do otherwise, we'll going to keep running a vast majority of the time to move the chains and maintain time of possession. CK gives us more in terms of creativity with the offense and a QB who can improvise more and throw some balls into tighter windows. But this whole notion that we were going to start airing it out because CK was the QB I think wasn't looked at realistically.

And its also evident we still lack some explosivess on the outside. Crabs has been great but he is still is much better when utilized in the slot. We missed MM yesterday because he has the ability on the outside to get by press coverage. Jenkins isn't ready. He needs to get stronger. Moss is a shell of his former self. We had to use a flea-flicker just to get him open deep. He isn't running past CBs like his glory days. With K-10 done for the year, we need MM to stay healthy. He's the key for teams not to just go Cover 4 and keep everything bottled up underneath. Guys want to see us go deep more, we still only have only two guys with that capability....MM and VD. Only one of them played yesterday. That's partly why it looked like the NFCCG for most of the day yesterday.