PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers discussion...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Scotty D
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I know I'm skipping school tomorrow for opening day.

Xiomera
04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
My classes end at 1 pm . . . hmm, maybe I'll skip my last class . . . Bonderman v. Halladay!

Xiomera
04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna say that Gary Sheffield hits a homer tomorrow, the first HR by a Tiger this season.

Scotty D
04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna say that Gary Sheffield hits a homer tomorrow, the first HR by a Tiger this season.

I agree. I think he is going to be pumped for his debut. I also think this is Bondo's break out year.

sportkid448
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm so excited for this season! What a great match up: Bondo vs. Holliday. Should be a great game, but I think Bondo is going to pitch a gem! I'm looking for Shef and Guillen to have good games, Shef's first game as Tiger and Guillen just got an extension!

Scotty D
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm so excited for this season! What a great match up: Bondo vs. Holliday. Should be a great game, but I think Bondo is going to pitch a gem! I'm looking for Shef and Guillen to have good games, Shef's first game as Tiger and Guillen just got an extension!

I forgot about that extension. It was pretty reasonable.

jbombul
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
i live right down the street from fifth third park where the low class a west michigan whitecaps play and i can tell you that maybin is going to be a beast he reminds me alot of vlad guererro

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I love Maybin. A couple other guys I'm excited about are Jeff Larish and Michael Hollimon. Of course Andrew Miller as well. I'm not a fan of Giarratano however. I too think this will be Bondo's break out year. The guy is so young and yet he'd been in the league for awhile already. I'm expecting big things from him. However, I think Verlander might take a small step back this year. Not way back, just not quite as good as last year, but still all star calibre. I think his K/9 numbers will be up, but his ERA, OAV, and WHIP all be slightly up from last year. The problem was once he stopped throwing the knuckle curve and went to the straight curve he seemed to become a little more hittable. I'm also extremely happy about Guillen's extension. He's by far my favorite Tiger, and despite people's love for Ordonez, Guillen is easily the best hitter on the team.

LionSmack
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I just hope they stay healthy, they've already had one big blow with Rogers, if they can stay away from any more of those they'll be OK.

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure Rogers is a huge blow. It was risk signing him anyway at his age. Kind of makes me wish we didn't trade Humberto Sanchez, but I guess we got Sheff back in return. I think we have a number of guys that could potentially step in and hold the fort down or even excel until Rogers return. If they want to go with a younger guy, I feel Tata or Jurrjens could probably step in and do alright.

LionSmack
04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, Durbin is the first one to take that spot, after him it could be one of five or six guys, Miner, even Ledezma if they can find some other lefty for the pen, and Miller could come up pretty quickly if he's doing well in the minors. I dunno about Tata, I don't remember him being any good last year, and no one knows crap about Jurrjens. But saying Rogers is no big loss is crazy and also wrong btw.

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, Durbin is the first one to take that spot, after him it could be one of five or six guys, Miner, even Ledezma if they can find some other lefty for the pen, and Miller could come up pretty quickly if he's doing well in the minors. I dunno about Tata, I don't remember him being any good last year, and no one knows crap about Jurrjens. But saying Rogers is no big loss is crazy and also wrong btw.

If you followed minor league baseball, you would know plenty about Jurrjens. Tata did quite well last year in AAA, going 10-6 with a 3.84 ERA, .252 OAV, and 86K's in 21 games. He was also rated as the #5 Tigers prospect by Baseball America. Jurrjens was rated the Tigers #4 prospect by Baseball America, and went 5-0 with a 2.08 ERA, .198 OAV and 59 K's in 12 games at high A, and 4-3 with a 3.36 ERA and 53 K's in 12 games at AA. Hell, Jurrjens threw alot better in ST than either Miller or Miner. I realize Durbin was already called up as the replacement, however I was simply saying if they wished to go with a younger player I believe those guys could step in and do fairly well.

As far as Rogers, I said he was no HUGE loss, not a big loss. First off, you had to expect the guy to miss time at some point anyway. Second, he's only expected to be out until around July. Since he would only make around 32 starts in a full healthy season, we're talking about around 15-18 starts. Out a 162 game season, that's not a huge loss. Even if you only win 5 of the starts he missed, it's not a huge difference. If we lost a regular position player like Guillen, then yes, it's a huge loss, because that's going to effect a much larger portion of games. And besides, pennants are won at the end of the season, not the beginning.

And let's also not forget that our entire pitching staff benefited from fantastic defense last year. In fact, we had the best defense in the league. A non strikeout pitcher like Rogers benefits even more than most from it. I would rather lose Rogers than either Bonderman or Verlander as a starter.

Xiomera
04-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I skipped my last class to watch the game. 3-3 in the 6th now . . .

LionSmack
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, your points are well taken and no, I don't follow minor league baseball. I also agree that Rogers can be compensated for, which is why i said if there aren't more injuries then they're fine.

The Tigers showed great ability last year to have guys step up and fill roles, and I'm looking forward to seeing that continue. They seem to have become a top-level organization, and in any sport, that means that unknown guys can step into the system and produce. I am so looking forward to them keeping that roll going. Pleasant surprises are one of the best parts of rooting for a team.

Xiomera
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Now that Humberto Sanchez is injured again, is it safe to say we got a steal of a deal getting Sheffield?

Scotty D
04-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah Dombrowski knew it was time to trade him off. Top of the lineup in the 10th. Down by 2.

Xiomera
04-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Well that sucked . . . Pudge and Monroe killed us today.

Scotty D
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah its a downer. I know one game this early isn't that huge, but I really wanted to win it.

Scotty D
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
AJ Burnett vs Nate Robertson on Wednesday at 1 EST.

Xiomera
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
AJ Burnett vs Nate Robertson on Wednesday at 1 EST.

Hmm, should I skip class and work that day? lol

Scotty D
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Hmm, should I skip class and work that day? lol

Man I hate all these day games at the beginning of the year.

P-L
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I normally don't like to advertise but since I'm just targeting a select few and it's not in any form competition to Scott site, I'd like to invite some Tigers fans to represent themselves on my baseball forum. I just started about a week ago, but we already have 17 members and no Tigers fans. If you guys are interested, here's a link to my site:

http://baseballnation.21.forumer.com/index.php

Xiomera
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I normally don't like to advertise but since I'm just targeting a select few and it's not in any form competition to Scott site, I'd like to invite some Tigers fans to represent themselves on my baseball forum. I just started about a week ago, but we already have 17 members and no Tigers fans. If you guys are interested, here's a link to my site:

http://baseballnation.21.forumer.com/index.php

I signed up.

familyguy555
04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I signed up.

same with me

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I love Rodney, but that's the thing about him. Every time he pitches he gives me a heart attack, whether no runs score or 5 runs. He can be so dominant at times, and at other times he just can't seem to find the plate at all. Oh well, nice comeback, we just couldn't get it done today. I'm still pleased with the overall effort.

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
On a side note, is that Al Davis sig the scariest thing you've ever seen or what? Doesn't he look like the Bruce's dad from "Braveheart?" Seriously, does he have leprosy?

ironman4579
04-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, and I also signed up. I can never be on enough message boards. For gods sake, I actually said IMO in real life the other day!

Xiomera
04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2820814&name=granderson_curtis

Check this out!

ironman4579
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2820814&name=granderson_curtis

Check this out!

That's pretty sweet!

ironman4579
04-03-2007, 09:20 AM

I don't know if I'd say Monroe killed us. Onbviously his day at the plate was absolutely brutal, and the ball that dropped between him and Guillen led to a run. But he also made 2 pretty nice catches in left, both of which saved at least one run. I figure he had a tough day, but not as bad as it seemed.

Xiomera
04-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't know if I'd say Monroe killed us. Onbviously his day at the plate was absolutely brutal, and the ball that dropped between him and Guillen led to a run. But he also made 2 pretty nice catches in left, both of which saved at least one run. I figure he had a tough day, but not as bad as it seemed.

No, it was brutal. Those two nice catches were cancelled by the fact the he cost us that third run in the 1st inning. 0-4 w/ 4 K's is brutal.

ironman4579
04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
No, it was brutal. Those two nice catches were cancelled by the fact the he cost us that third run in the 1st inning. 0-4 w/ 4 K's is brutal.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I'm just saying that without those 2 catches it's not even a 3-3 game(although without the miscue it's a 3-2 game) I'm also of the opinion that a strikeout is no worse than any other out in many situations, and can actually be a "better" out in some situations. But in all honesty, I've never been a big fan of Monroe anyway. I thought we needed to upgrade in LF before last season, and despite Monroe's late inning heroics and clutch hitting last year, I felt the same way going into this season. He just doesn't get on base enough. a guy with a career .310 OBP and .771 OPS is not the guy I want as my starting LF. And even though he makes some nice catches once in a while, he's still below average LF defensively, so that doesn't even make up for his poor performance at the plate. Personally, I'm hoping Clevlen stays on track, and Maybin developes quickly so we can have an outfield of Granderson in left, Maybin in center, and Clevlen in right sometime in the near future. Or if Maybin fills out like some suspect he will, Granderson in center, Maybin in left, Clevlen in right.

Xiomera
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I can't believe Leyland pinch ran with Neifi instead of Infante on Monday! He should have had him try and steal 2nd base.

JPLUFF
04-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Was Clevlen on the opening day roster?

Xiomera
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Was Clevlen on the opening day roster?

No, but he will be called up soon enough.

ironman4579
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Man, some of you guys need to go post on PL's baseball board once in a while. Maybe get some action going over there. I think I'm like the one that posts anything.

Xiomera
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
8-0 after three innings! Woo!

ironman4579
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Now I'm pissed. My splitter's screwed, so I'm having to switch from having cable to having internet. I was screwing around on here and PL's baseball board all day and forgot the game was on. I missed 8 of the 9 runs!

And I just have to say, I think it's hilarious looking back on all the Tigers fans that wanted to sign Burnett. This guy is either injured, or getting hit in the AL. He's everage at best here and I remember people saying we should overpay to sign this guy. I remember saying "why, he's no better than anybody we have right now." I believe last season sort of proved me right, and I believe this season will confirm it.

JPLUFF
04-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Burnett's extremely average. Just happened to have a career year where he threw over 200 innings and kept his ERA under 3.5. But looking at his numbers before that, there were basically like what he did last year. Always funny how that happens during a contract year with a weak FA pitching market.

Scotty D
04-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Grandy is my homeboy.

ironman4579
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Christ, Ordonez is a butcher in right.

JPLUFF
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I love Rodney...but damn.

Scotty D
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
It was 10 to 2 right?

familyguy555
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
It was 10 to 2 right?

youve gotta be shittin me......

EDIT: close one...

ironman4579
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Well that was an adventure. A win is a win I guess, but you can't let a team back in the game with poor defence when you've got them down and out. I have confidence this team will get their act together and still take the Central. But if the defense doesn't improve and the bullpen keeps this up, it could be a long season. Defense wins chamionships, in any sport, and with us not really having a big strikeout starter other than Bonderman, we need the type of defense we had last year to be successful. I think they can pull it together, but in the tough AL Central, we need to be playing top notch ball all year long.

Xiomera
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow, I went to work up 9-2, and we end up winning just 10-9 . . . I was shocked when someone told me what happened!

Notredameleo
04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Magglio totally butchered that play

ironman4579
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Magglio totally butchered about 4 plays.

asmitty45
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
just a little rust, nothin to worry about and besides the Jays are a pretty good team and we were handing them their own asses for quite a bit of the game.

ON another note, how sick is our OF gonna be in 2 years w/ Grando,Maybin and clevlen? Scary to think about...

JPLUFF
04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Glad to see they postponed today's game.

Xiomera
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Glad to see they postponed today's game.

We better get a sweep against the Royals this weekend. After the way we let them beat us up at the end of 2006, we owe it to them.

I wonder if Leyland will skip Chad Durbin's spot in the rotation? And go right on to Bondo . . .

Xiomera
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
We better get a sweep against the Royals this weekend. After the way we let them beat us up at the end of 2006, we owe it to them.

I wonder if Leyland will skip Chad Durbin's spot in the rotation? And go right on to Bondo . . .

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/sports-22/1175783066170570.xml&storylist=michigansports

Both teams shifted their pitching rotations because of the postponement. The Blue Jays will start Gustavo Chacin, Tomo Ohka and Roy Halladay in Tampa Bay, while the Tigers have Verlander, Mike Maroth and Jeremy Bonderman going against the Royals.

Looks like I can answer my own question, lol.

Durbin is getting skipped over. Good call

ironman4579
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm glad Durbin is getting skipped. While I think he'll be alright in filling in for Rogers, winning our divisional games is the most important thing. I'm happy with this move, although honestly I've always been an advocate of going back to a 4 man rotation anyway.

Scotty D
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm excited to see Verlander pitch tomorrow.

Xiomera
04-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm excited to see Verlander pitch tomorrow.

Me too, I am counting on him in Fantasy Baseball . . .

Scotty D
04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Me too, I am counting on him in Fantasy Baseball . . .

Hah the Royals get Dice K and Verlander back to back. Poor guys. :)

ironman4579
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I think Verlanders numbers will be ever so slightly down, but I think his k's and k/9 will be up quite a bit from last year. Plus I see 17-21 wins out of him again this year. In terms of fantasy baseball, he should be very good. I actually think Bonderman will end up having a better fantasy season though.

familyguy555
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Royals are going down tonight!

Notredameleo
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
SO what are you guys prediction for the Tigers this year?
Most homers-Sheffield
Most stolen Bases- Grandy
Most Wins-Bonderman
Best Batting %-Polanco
Most RBIs-Guillen

Brodeur
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
This bullpen is haunting me so far this season.

Xiomera
04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
We suck . . . I was praying for Verlander to get me a victory for my fantasy team, lol.

Scotty D
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Jose Mesa looks like a keeper.

familyguy555
04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
wow........

Notredameleo
04-07-2007, 08:15 AM
We lost to the effin royals, omg

Go Blue
04-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Mags sucks!!!

HE doesnt give enough effort in right. Pulled up short twice last night.

Scotty D
04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Mags sucks!!!

HE doesnt give enough effort in right. Pulled up short twice last night.

Maybe we should switch Maggs and Gary. Just to test it out.

Scotty D
04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Sheff hits his first homerun on the only game that isn't on TV this month. GRRRRR!

ironman4579
04-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm telling you, Mags is awful in RF. Absolutely no range out there. He's going to cost us runs and wins this year. And honestly, we relied on the long ball to win last year. If we're getting guys on base ahead of those HR's, it could be a long year.

ironman4579
04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Tjis team's strengths last year, were starting pitching, the bullpen, defense, and power. So far, the starters have done well, outside of Maroth's outing today, and the power still seems to be their. But if the bullpen and defense don't start to get it together, we could have problems. This team wasn't retooled to play a different type of ball, so we need to win the same way we did last year. But it's early, we just need to take the last game and win the series.

Xiomera
04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Now that's more like it. Pudge is our savior.

ironman4579
04-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Too bad Bondo couldn't get the win today. I didn't see the game but it looks like he led the fort pretty well. Big knock by Pudge though. Winning the series is all that matters.

Scotty D
04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
PUDGE baby. It feels so dirty stealing wins from the Royals.

ironman4579
04-08-2007, 05:27 PM
PUDGE baby. It feels so dirty stealing wins from the Royals.

The Royals are going to be much improved this year. They should still finish last in the tough Central division, but they're a team on the upswing.

Go Blue
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Maybe we should switch Maggs and Gary. Just to test it out.
Id say at least give it a try, it cant get much worse.................can it??

ironman4579
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm starting to rethink my "Durbin should be alright until Rogers gets back" idea.....

Xiomera
04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Sheffield has been completely unimpressive thus far.

And I think it's time to give Infante a start at 3B . . . Inge is killing us.

ironman4579
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
I;m not much of a fan of Infante. I agree with you Inge has been a black hole so far at the bottom of the order. But he's also far superior defensively at third to Infante. And IMO, with our staff mostly not being huge K guys, and stocked with lefties, Inge's defense is tremendously important at third. I'm still confident Inge will turn it around and end up around 20+ HR's. And with the Gold Glove caliber D he plays, I'd be happy with that. However, if he hasn't truned it around by the end of the month(at least over .200) then yes, I'd certainly say give Infante, a shot. Hell, I'd give Kody Kirkland a shot if it gets to that point.

Xiomera
04-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I;m not much of a fan of Infante. I agree with you Inge has been a black hole so far at the bottom of the order. But he's also far superior defensively at third to Infante. And IMO, with our staff mostly not being huge K guys, and stocked with lefties, Inge's defense is tremendously important at third. I'm still confident Inge will turn it around and end up around 20+ HR's. And with the Gold Glove caliber D he plays, I'd be happy with that. However, if he hasn't truned it around by the end of the month(at least over .200) then yes, I'd certainly say give Infante, a shot. Hell, I'd give Kody Kirkland a shot if it gets to that point.

Well obviously Inge is a great defensive 3B and he will turn it around, I just think Leyland needs to use his bench more (namely Infante) and perhaps light a fire under Inge to do something. It's been 6 games without a hit!

ironman4579
04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Well obviously Inge is a great defensive 3B and he will turn it around, I just think Leyland needs to use his bench more (namely Infante) and perhaps light a fire under Inge to do something. It's been 6 games without a hit!

I'm with you there, and I agree about using the bench. I hated the way Tram used to do it, where he'd sit ALL of our regulars on the same day, and it was like every third game you'd see like Pudge, Guillen, and like Ordonez on the bench, but I wish Leyland would use the bench a little more often too.

Xiomera
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm with you there, and I agree about using the bench. I hated the way Tram used to do it, where he'd sit ALL of our regulars on the same day, and it was like every third game you'd see like Pudge, Guillen, and like Ordonez on the bench, but I wish Leyland would use the bench a little more often too.

Oh God, I know what you mean with Trammel. We might as well have forfeited those days.

ironman4579
04-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh God, I know what you mean with Trammel. We might as well have forfeited those days.

That's what I always thought. You know, I supported Tram most of the time, and I still believe he should be in the HOF. But he used to kill me with his day off schedule for the regulars and the way he used the bullpen. But I have to give it to him, he and Bob Cluck actually did predict that 2006 would be the year the staff really came together and started winning games for this team, and they were right. But still, I'm extremely happy with Leyland.

asmitty45
04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Leyland def needs to go to the bench more, especially for Inge, but its onyl 6 games in so i can understand him trying to get his starters some sort of rythym to begin the season, obviously Inge didnt get the memo.

And what the hell was the Dud by Durbin today? Where's Miner/Ledezma/Miller? we have so many quality pitchers to fill rogers' spot but for some reason we gave this bum a shot. I say ledezma should get the next start and if he fails it may be time to give Miller a shot.

ThEvIcTR
04-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Sheffield has been completely unimpressive thus far.

And I think it's time to give Infante a start at 3B . . . Inge is killing us.

You can't be serious.

IT IS APRIL!

Lets look at what Inge did in 2005 and we will really see if you would rather start infante (Which is such a terrible thing to even think of.)

Lead all American League third basmen in these categories.

Assists: 378
Double Plays: 41
Errors: 23

His hitting needs improvement but there is no way we can take him off the 3 bag.

Xiomera
04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
You can't be serious.

IT IS APRIL!

Lets look at what Inge did in 2005 and we will really see if you would rather start infante (Which is such a terrible thing to even think of.)

Lead all American League third basmen in these categories.

Assists: 378
Double Plays: 41
Errors: 23

His hitting needs improvement but there is no way we can take him off the 3 bag.

Clearly you haven't read much of this thread . . .

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT INGE BE BENCHED IN FAVOR OF INFANTE. I WANT LEYLAND TO START INFANTE AT THIRD FOR ONE GAME.

ironman4579
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Leyland def needs to go to the bench more, especially for Inge, but its onyl 6 games in so i can understand him trying to get his starters some sort of rythym to begin the season, obviously Inge didnt get the memo.

And what the hell was the Dud by Durbin today? Where's Miner/Ledezma/Miller? we have so many quality pitchers to fill rogers' spot but for some reason we gave this bum a shot. I say ledezma should get the next start and if he fails it may be time to give Miller a shot.

Miller has pitched one minor league game that lasted 5 innings. You want to risk ruining his development based on 1, or possibly 2 starts by Durbin or Ledezma? Give the kid some time, let him learn in the minors for at least a season with a possible late season call up. When he was drafted, it was widely acknowledged that he had a lot of work to do on his change up. Sounds very similiar to Jeremy Bonderman. Now, I love Bonderman, but I would wager that had he spent another year or two in the minors refining that change up against weaker hitters instead of trying to learn it at the major league level, he'd be dominating right now, rather than simply looking to have his "breakout year" We have other young pitchers at this point that can fill in, ie Tata, Jurrjens, etc. Plus, IT'S ONE START! Can we wait until after the first freaking week of the season before we start panicking? Let Durbin have a couple starts. Hell, Miner looked lights out when he first came up, and then the league caught up with him. For all we know, Durbin will settle down, and do well. Give the guy a chance.

Xiomera
04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Tigers were lucky to win this one. If not for that error on Roberts . . . hmm

ironman4579
04-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Nate Rob pitched a really good game though, and Grandy and Polanco keep rolling. Guillen's starting to come around as well. Pudge wasn't great tonight, but he's been solid. Everyone else has been pretty much "meh" or worse. As you said before X, Sheffield hasn't done a thing so far.

Brodeur
04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Neifi Perez hits- 1
Brandon Inge hits- 0

Such a wonderful thing to know. I'm sure Inge will come around I just like pointing that out.

Notredameleo
04-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Chances that Grandy makes all star game? And a wins a win!!

Xiomera
04-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Chances that Grandy makes all star game? And a wins a win!!

Leyland is the AL All-Star Manager, so you can expect a lot of Tigers in the game . . . I'm thinking Polanco, Granderson, Bonderman, and Nate Robertson as a surprise pick?

ironman4579
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
And yet shockingly, we're all still here and the world hasn't ended despite the existence of this thread...................................weird.

ironman4579
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Leyland is the AL All-Star Manager, so you can expect a lot of Tigers in the game . . . I'm thinking Polanco, Granderson, Bonderman, and Nate Robertson as a surprise pick?

I'm thinking by All Star time he'll reasonably be able to take Granderson, Guillen, Bonderman, and possibly Nate. If not Nate, then possibly Verlander, since he kind of got shafted(a little) last season.

Scotty D
04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Grandy and Grady will battle it out for the All Star Game. Although I think positions aren't taken into account for the All Star Game.

ironman4579
04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately, they aren't. And I'm pretty much banking that Granderson doesn't get near enough votes to be voted on. IMO Granderson will have to be a managers selection to get on. Most fans are casual fans, and just vote for the names they know, which is why every year you see Suzuki, Ramirez, and Vlad as the starters. Also the reason you always see a bunch of Yankees and Red Sox, because that's who ESPN covers the most, thus the names people hear the most. Not to say those teams don't have great players however. There's a reason they always do well after all. The overall point being a player has to get his name out there and well known to be voted on. Sizemore is a well known player at this point IMO, which gives him a leg up. Despite playing on a World Series team, I don't believe Granderson is thought of yet as a top young player. After this year, I believe he will be though.

Scotty D
04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Craig with the grand slam! :)

Icon
04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Tigers offense has been really dissapointing this year. Brandon Inge cant even put the ball in play. I much prefer Inge in the role of utility guy who can play every position for you. I honestly think last years power numbers were a fluke and hell never finish near 30 hr again in his career

Xiomera
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Tigers offense has been really dissapointing this year. Brandon Inge cant even put the ball in play. I much prefer Inge in the role of utility guy who can play every position for you. I honestly think last years power numbers were a fluke and hell never finish near 30 hr again in his career

Agreed on Inge. I never like the idea of locking him in as our third baseman of the future by signing him to that big extention.

On a side note, you wanna make a trade Icon?

Icon
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Ya, shoot one over

Scotty D
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Borquin is on his way. :)

JPLUFF
04-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Brandon Inge got another hit

ironman4579
04-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Brandons home run was a bomb.

Xiomera
04-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Now this is more like it Inge.

ironman4579
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Jose Mesa sucks. That is all.

P-L
04-14-2007, 05:06 PM
It looks like Brandon Inge is officially out of his slump.

Notredameleo
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Great come from behind win!!

detroit4life
04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
yea that was a great win shows what they can do when they pull them selves together and are patient at the plate

Brodeur
04-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I think it's time for Zach Miner to come back and start. He may have struggled at times last year, but he's a hell of a lot better than Chad Durbin. Ah I forgot Miner was struggling in Toledo, so there's a no win situation when it comes to the 5th starter damnit.

LionSmack
04-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I think it's time for Zach Miner to come back and start. He may have struggled at times last year, but he's a hell of a lot better than Chad Durbin. Ah I forgot Miner was struggling in Toledo, so there's a no win situation when it comes to the 5th starter damnit.

I'd like em to give Ledezma a shot. He had two starts last year i think and did well. Plus another lefty starter never hurt.

Brodeur
04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd like em to give Ledezma a shot. He had two starts last year i think and did well. Plus another lefty starter never hurt.

Ledezma would be my first choice for the starting position if it weren't for the fact that it would leave Bobby Seay as the only lefty out of the bullpen, and I really don't want that to happen.

Xiomera
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Bring Miner back. He is better than Durbin.

Nice comeback today. Good to see Infante finally get into a game.

jbombul
04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
if miner can't hold it down, i'd like to see jordan tata become our fifth starter. for everyone who says we should bring up andrew miller, i should back-hand you right now because bringin the kid up too early will wreck his career and we can't mortgage something so high on a couple of months of the season

Xiomera
04-15-2007, 10:43 AM
if miner can't hold it down, i'd like to see jordan tata become our fifth starter. for everyone who says we should bring up andrew miller, i should back-hand you right now because bringin the kid up too early will wreck his career and we can't mortgage something so high on a couple of months of the season

Agreed . . . we don't need to have a stud as our 5th starter, just someone who can go out there every 5th day and not assure us a loss. That's what Durbin is doing for us now. Get Miner in there.

detroit4life
04-15-2007, 11:12 AM
tata is injured miner is struggling idk what to do

jbombul
04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
hmm maybe J.J.?? maybe dennis tankersly?

*on a side note, i found it interesting that they converted Eulogio De La Cruz into a starter, i remember him as a whitecap being the closer and throwing close to 100

ironman4579
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
hmm maybe J.J.?? maybe dennis tankersly?

*on a side note, i found it interesting that they converted Eulogio De La Cruz into a starter, i remember him as a whitecap being the closer and throwing close to 100

The Tigers have tried to do that every year with de la Cruz, which honestly, I don't understand. He has basically one pitch, his very good fastball. He improved his breaking ball, but not to the level you'd want out of a starter, and he has no third pitch. Every year the Tigers try and put him in the rotation. And every year he pitches poorly, they move him to the bullpen, and he does very well. This guy could be a very good set up man in the future, but the Tigers seem intent on making him a starter.

jbombul
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
doesn't make much sense does it? with the way things are looking right now we have all kinds of arms in the farm our rotation could look like this later on

Bonderman
Verlander
Miller
Tata
Jair Jurrgens

relief:
Zumaya closer
De la cruz/rodney setup
Sleeth Middle relief

plus we have french and trahern 2 guys i got to see alot of and i like. i have the luxury of living a block away from Low class A Whitecaps so i get to see all of these guys early. not only that but we have Maybin, Larish, Giarratano, Clevlen, Kirkland, and my second favorite player in their farm Wilken Rameriz.... if this guy can cut down on the K's he will be dominate. Needless to say the future looks very bright for the tigers

ironman4579
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
meh, I'd prefer(and Baseball America projects) our rotation to look like:

Verlander
Miller
Bonderman
Robertson
Jurrjens

I prefer Robertson over Tata, and in your rotation we'd only have one lefty. I think the Tigers would trade one of our pitching prospects or move one to the bullpen before they'd go with an unbalanced rotation.

Brodeur
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm really tired of seeing the Tigers blow Bondo's starts.

ironman4579
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I was about to say, Bondo can't buy a win right now. What a time for Jones first blown save of the season.

Go Blue
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Bonderman sure looked good today. Jones F ed it up badly today.

Why was Thames starting in right? Did they finally get tired of Mags?

jbombul
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
i think it was mag's day off, needless to say we need to give sheff a day off when is he going to turn it around?? if we are going to keep playing him, get him outta that 3 hole we need to maybe move polanco or pudge down to the 3 so we can get some production, i know polanco ain't a power hitter but we all know how he plays. we should do this

Granderson
Polanco/Pudge
Pudge/Polanco
Ordonez
Carlos
Sheff
Casey
Monroe
Inge

isn't it funny that when baseball tonight gives Jones his props, he blows his next game?

asmitty45
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Im surprised it took this long for Jones to blow a save.

Whats wrong with Fernando Rodney, he hasnt pitched all to well all year, injuries...fatigue?

Xiomera
04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that game sucked. I watched the first 8 innings, and listened to the rest on the radio on my way to work . . .

Notredameleo
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
I feel bad for Bondo!! He has pitched great all year and he hasnt got a win. Thats ridiculous.

asmitty45
04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I feel bad for Bondo!! He has pitched great all year and he hasnt got a win. Thats ridiculous.

He's got robertson-disease from last year, no run support

Scotty D
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if anyone's ever visited Motownsports.com. I'm a registered member but havent posted there in a while. Its a pretty good Tigers board, but one of their prominent members was killed at Virginia Tech. I guess there have been a few articles written about him. And the members other there are working on making some sort of tribute.

jbombul
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
He's got robertson-disease from last year, no run support

nate robertson i remember he was always getting the short end of the stick idk if it was because he was our 5 n we rested all of our starters on his day but he was getting like 2 runs a game

Xiomera
04-18-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure if anyone's ever visited Motownsports.com. I'm a registered member but havent posted there in a while. Its a pretty good Tigers board, but one of their prominent members was killed at Virginia Tech. I guess there have been a few articles written about him. And the members other there are working on making some sort of tribute.

Wow, that's really sad. Looks like a nice site.

ironman4579
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
i think it was mag's day off, needless to say we need to give sheff a day off when is he going to turn it around?? if we are going to keep playing him, get him outta that 3 hole we need to maybe move polanco or pudge down to the 3 so we can get some production, i know polanco ain't a power hitter but we all know how he plays. we should do this

Granderson
Polanco/Pudge
Pudge/Polanco
Ordonez
Carlos
Sheff
Casey
Monroe
Inge

isn't it funny that when baseball tonight gives Jones his props, he blows his next game?

I'm not real big on having Rodriguez hit second. The ideal second hitter is a guy that doesn't strike out often, has good bat control, and has abit of speed. Pudge is 22nd all time in grounded into double plays. Not that it's a huge knock against him, as the list includes mostly Hall of Famers, and clearly Pudge is headed there himself. Just that he's not an ideal second hitter. Polanco is absolutely the ideal second hitter, and probably one of the most underrated players around. Plus, Guillen should really be the third hitter. I know they want him to protect Ordonez, but Guillen is the superior hitter. I'd personally go:

Granderson - lefty
Polanco - righty
Guillen - switch
Ordonez- righty
Pudge - righty
Casey - lefty
Sheffield - righty
Monroe- righty
Inge - righty

That's not really ideal, as you've got three righties in a row at the bottom of the order. You could also put Sheffield 5th and pudge 7th, or move Granderson out of the leadoff spot and down to 9th, which would also break up all the righties.

jbombul
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not real big on having Rodriguez hit second. The ideal second hitter is a guy that doesn't strike out often, has good bat control, and has abit of speed. Pudge is 22nd all time in grounded into double plays. Not that it's a huge knock against him, as the list includes mostly Hall of Famers, and clearly Pudge is headed there himself. Just that he's not an ideal second hitter. Polanco is absolutely the ideal second hitter, and probably one of the most underrated players around. Plus, Guillen should really be the third hitter. I know they want him to protect Ordonez, but Guillen is the superior hitter. I'd personally go:

Granderson - lefty
Polanco - righty
Guillen - switch
Ordonez- righty
Pudge - righty
Casey - lefty
Sheffield - righty
Monroe- righty
Inge - righty

That's not really ideal, as you've got three righties in a row at the bottom of the order. You could also put Sheffield 5th and pudge 7th, or move Granderson out of the leadoff spot and down to 9th, which would also break up all the righties.

keep granderson lead off, hes just now starting to come into his own, it doesn't matter how we disperse the lefties vs righties, if none of them are hitting its not going to do us any good

ironman4579
04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
keep granderson lead off, hes just now starting to come into his own, it doesn't matter how we disperse the lefties vs righties, if none of them are hitting its not going to do us any good

Yes, but in the long run it does make a difference. Right handers have to work harder against left handed hitters on most occasions, and show their best stuff to get outs. Not to mention that with a good dispersal, an opposing manager can't bring in a lefty specialist to pitch to 2 leties in a row, or a righty just to get one out. Having a good left/right dispersal forces opposing managers to think more and use more pitchers out of their bullpen, thus getting you deeper into the pen to the weaker links. And honestly, I'm a little enthused so far overall. Batting average is one of the worst stats to judge a player on. I realize that most of the Tigers don't have high OBP or SLG either. However, they are being more selective at the plate right now. If Sheffield could even get his average up to the .250 range, I'd be happy, as his OBP would be outstanding. Guillen's is already very good. Polanco's looks good, but it's very tied to his average. Really, the only guy that isn't drawing walks right now is Pudge, and he's never been really selective anyway. I'm actually very confident this team will start to hit based on some peripherals, and we should start putting up numbers similiar to last season very soon.

asmitty45
04-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Granderson - lefty
Polanco - righty
Guillen - switch
Ordonez- righty
Pudge - righty
Casey - lefty
Sheffield - righty
Monroe- righty
Inge - righty

Id swap Shef with Pudge, but i like that lineup

ironman4579
04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Id swap Shef with Pudge, but i like that lineup

Yep, I was actually thinking that exact thing, and went back and forth. Sheffield definately offers more power potential and patience, which would really make him an ideal 5 hitter, but would make a good 7 hitter too. The only reason I have Pudge at 5 is based on season performance to date. Now looking at it though, I'd agree, and go with Shef at 5, Pudge at 7.

P-L
04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Jeremy Bonderman / Nate Robertson / Justin Verlander: 10 GS, 10 QS, 1.88 ERA

Xiomera
04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Jeremy Bonderman / Nate Robertson / Justin Verlander: 10 GS, 10 QS, 1.88 ERA

And THREE, count them, just THREE victories!

Ridiculous.

Notredameleo
04-19-2007, 08:04 PM
That is ridiculous.

Scotty D
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Polanco has the highest batting average in MLB!

ironman4579
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
And yet Guillen's still not far behind him in terms of OBP. That's really my only complaint with Polanco, is he doesn't take a ton of walks, but he still knows how to battle and work the count deep, so it's not a huge knock by any means.

ThEvIcTR
04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Can someone here please make me a new sig.

On one side of it I want a Nick Linstorm picture with a Wings logo and on the other side I want a Bonderman picture with a Tigers logo. And I want the writing to say "The Pizza Dynasty."

i will give rep to any sig maker.

Thanks

Xiomera
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/tigersinsider/2007/04/mesa_to_dl_lopez_called_up_fro.html

Mesa is on the DL . . . Hooray!

And Humberto Sanchez had Tommy John surgery . . . how's that deal for Sheff looking now?

Scotty D
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/tigersinsider/2007/04/mesa_to_dl_lopez_called_up_fro.html

Mesa is on the DL . . . Hooray!

And Humberto Sanchez had Tommy John surgery . . . how's that deal for Sheff looking now?

Everyone was tearing us apart on that trade.

Xiomera
04-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Everyone was tearing us apart on that trade.

I liked the trade, but that contract they signed Sheff to is what worried me. Too much money for a guy his age.

Xiomera
04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
All right-handed lineup tonight vs. John Danks . . . Infante in for Grandy in center, Thames at 1B.

I like this all-righty lineup Leyland has used against lefties. And then he puts Casey and Grandy in as defensive replacements once the starter has departed.

Brodeur
04-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Grilli with no outs and the bases loaded? Uhhh.

jbombul
04-20-2007, 07:51 PM
our team so far this year flip flops all the time. one day our offense will stink and our pitching will be outstanding and then the next day our offense will kick ass and our pitching will be horrible, the john kerry's of baseball.

Brodeur
04-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey it's the called third strike Gary Sheffield disease.

Xiomera
04-20-2007, 09:24 PM
We suck . . .

ironman4579
04-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I liked the trade, but that contract they signed Sheff to is what worried me. Too much money for a guy his age.

I was personally more upset about losing Kevin Whelan in that deal than Sanchez. In the long wrong, I have no doubt Whelan will be the better pro, and at this point he'd have looked pretty nive in our bullpen at some point.

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Omar Infante is the DH today! Yes, get Gary Sheffield outta there! HA!

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 02:03 PM
WTF? The Tigers their first two base runners since the first inning in a tied game in the 7th . . . and guess who comes up to the plate? MIKE RABELO!? And he pops up to short on the first pitch.

Leyland should have pinch hit with Pudge. This is really pissimg me off. It's becoming unbearable to watch for me.

Another quality start wasted for Verlander.

asmitty45
04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Let's kidnap Fernando Rodney and throw him off a bridge.

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Let's kidnap Fernando Rodney and throw him off a bridge.

And Sheffield, Casey, Rabelo, Inge, and Monroe too . . . Mesa and Durbin as well, just for good measure.

Brodeur
04-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Yay Marcus Thames.

familyguy555
04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Marcus Thames is sweet.

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
NOW THEY DECIDE TO PINCH HIT WITH PUDGE!? Why not earlier when they had two on two out in the 7th with Rabelo up?

asmitty45
04-22-2007, 05:48 PM
We finally won, and now more than ever i hate the sox.

asmitty45
04-22-2007, 05:48 PM
And Sheffield, Casey, Rabelo, Inge, and Monroe too . . . Mesa and Durbin as well, just for good measure.

Yup and we'll make robertson, bondo and verlander do it.

ironman4579
04-22-2007, 07:32 PM
You know, I've always thought of Marcus Thames as more of a AAAA player, a 4th outfielder. But right now I'd much rather have him at DH than Sheffield. Just think about how much production we've lost so far from last year with Sheffield instead of Thames. I still think Sheffield will eventually turn it around, but I really hope Leyland starts finding more AB's for Marcus.

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I was thinking today as I watched part of the Sox-Yanks game . . . how much better would Detroit be if they had traded for Abreu at the deadline last year? They could have had him for the exact same package (or probably less) of prospects they sent to NY for Sheff. Only difference is Abreu is younger, a left handed batter, and we could have had him for the second half and playoffs last year. We could have won the Series with him, and now we have Sheff and his .150 BA instead.

Damn

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Go Tigers! Just reclaimed a share of 1st place. Yes Grandy is my Tiger who's yours?

jbombul
04-24-2007, 02:40 AM
zoom zoom is my tiger, but in 2 years my tiger will be cameron maybin

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Carlos Guillen is my favorite Tiger, but I like Micheal Hollimon in the minors, as well as Jeff Larish and Maybin.

Notredameleo
04-24-2007, 09:29 AM
My fav. tiger is definately Polanco, with Granderson not far behind. I'm kind of mad because Granderson is having an all-star type April, but hes not even on the all star ballot!!

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 09:29 AM
My favorite hitter is Granderson, and my favorite pitcher is Jose Mesa! lol

Kidding, Granderson and Robertson

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I should have said, my favorite pitcher is Bonderman.

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
GREAT NEWS FOR ME:

I am going to the Tigers game on May 9th vs. Seattle . . .

And just like last year, I will be watching it from one of the best private suites at Comerica Park! If the roation continues as it is now, I get to see Verlander pitch.

I have some big-time connections, lol. Last year I was in a suite for the game where Craig Monroe hit that monster comeback home run against Cleveland.

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 11:14 AM
GREAT NEWS FOR ME:

I am going to the Tigers game on May 9th vs. Seattle . . .

And just like last year, I will be watching it from one of the best private suites at Comerica Park! If the roation continues as it is now, I get to see Verlander pitch.

I have some big-time connections, lol. Last year I was in a suite for the game where Craig Monroe hit that monster comeback home run against Cleveland.

Yea? Yea? Well, well, well, I was there in the dugout when Ordonez hit the HR in the playoffs, and I jumped up and down, and then partied with the Tigers............................................ .......Ok, no I didn't. You're lucky to have those connections Xio. Have a great time!

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Yea? Yea? Well, well, well, I was there in the dugout when Ordonez hit the HR in the playoffs, and I jumped up and down, and then partied with the Tigers............................................ .......Ok, no I didn't. You're lucky to have those connections Xio. Have a great time!

Thanks . . . I'll buy all of you guys a keychain . . . to share.http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I call the chain on Saturday's!

P-L
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Can the Red Sox have Placido Polanco? Please.

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Come on PL, you're not happy with Pedroia?

Xiomera
04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Can the Red Sox have Placido Polanco? Please.

Dude, why are you a BoSox fan again?

And yes, you can have Polanco if we can have Ortiz.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
zoom zoom is my tiger, but in 2 years my tiger will be cameron maybin

Yeah, Maybin will be a pimp roaming CF in Comerica Park

asmitty45
04-24-2007, 01:08 PM
2009 OF
Maybin, Clevelan, Granderson

Holy S**t.

Good Pitching by Grilli last night, i watched the whole thing at least he's keeping his game together while rodney s**t's a brick on us

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Maybin will be a pimp roaming CF in Comerica Park

If he fills out like some people think he will, he might end up playing left field. Alot of scouts feel he may end up with a body type like Andre Dawson or Joe Carter. I've also seen people compare him to Vlad Guerrero with more patience. Either way, it's a pretty nice outfield.

Scotty D
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Maybin will rack up the triples at Comerica. I hope he doesn't get to built. We need some speed on this team.

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Well, I don't know if we have to worry about that. Dawson and Vlad were pretty speedy guys early in their careers. Dawson was slowed by knee injuries, and Vlad by multiple foot injuries. I think he could certainly play CF, it's just is he going to be like Griffey(probable HOFer), Dawson(borderline HOFer), or Vlad(on his way to HOF)?

woodnick
04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
If he fills out like some people think he will, he might end up playing left field. Alot of scouts feel he may end up with a body type like Andre Dawson or Joe Carter. I've also seen people compare him to Vlad Guerrero with more patience. Either way, it's a pretty nice outfield.

I've heard the best comparison to him is a right handed Ken Griffey Jr. back in his Seattle days.

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Yep, as I said that's another comparison. Again, it kind of depends how he fills out.

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybin right now at High A Lakeland:

17 games, 18 hits, .321/.465/.661/1.126, 3 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 9 RBI, 15 Runs, 7 SB, 14 BB's, 21 K's

And another guy I like, SS Michael Hollimon at AA Erie:

13 games, 14 hits, .318/.483/.568/1.052, 6 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 16 Runs, 10 RBI, 13 BB's, 9 K's

ironman4579
04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Nice comeback today. Hopefully Jonesy can hold it down here.

asmitty45
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Quite the comback.

Notredameleo
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I hate Jones!!

asmitty45
04-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Quite the comback.

I was soooo wrong, Jones needs to die.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Ya Jones sure blew it today that was rough. I am also very pumped about Maybin, Dombrowski said he wouldn't have traded him straight up for Soriano last year, thats saying something, as crazy as it may sound.

jbombul
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
the thing about maybin he is already big but hes athletic. i think scouts usually give him a 65 grade on speed on the 10-80 scale and that is pretty good he stole alot of bases in fifth third park last year, part of the reason his homeruns were down was because its a pitchers park, but i remember he hit a walk off grandslam last year at the game i was at, it was ridiculous. maybin is the man!!! i watch the baseball draft a little bit less then the football, but i had maybin as the top rated player coming out i wanted him so bad and we got him same thing with andrew miller, the next morning i woke up with 2 hangovers :)

Xiomera
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
8 scoreless inngs from . . . Chad Durbin!?

Hell yeah!

ironman4579
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Sadly, Durbin will now have more wins than Jeremy Bonderman. That just makes the way Bonderman's been hooped even more sucky.

Go Blue
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
That 9th wasnt pretty, Zumeya struggled with control. Durbant looked good though

Notredameleo
04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice Win Durbin, Our bullpen sucks..

LionSmack
04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
ridiculous. our bullpen is still better than all but a very few teams. Rodney looked great his last outing after he and Hernandez got together on his mechanics.

Zumaya is still a young guy and stuff like this is going to happen. That's why you have to keep Jones as closer. He trusts his stuff and never gets rattled. Every single late reliever in the history of baseball has blown it a lot of times. Jones came back last night with the bases loaded and things seemingly falling apart, and he got the out. Whereas you could see that Zumaya really started losing his composure once he put a couple of guys on. He needs more time and experience, and in a year or two he's going to be a big-time hammer. But not today.

asmitty45
04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
That 9th wasnt pretty, Zumeya struggled with control. Durbant looked good though

You mean Zumaya and Durbin?

Go Blue
04-26-2007, 09:11 PM
You mean Zumaya and Durbin?
Yea my bad.

Brodeur
04-27-2007, 08:20 PM
I hate this bullpen.

Xiomera
04-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I hate this bullpen.

Agreed . . . cost me a win for Robertson on my fantasy team.

ironman4579
04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
The pen's definately been struggling. But I think they're too good not to turn it around. It's early yet, I really believe they can get it back on track.

Xiomera
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
4 in a row! WOO!

Good to see Rodney and Grilli pitch well today. We need those guys badly.

Notredameleo
05-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Hopefully we're turning it around

ironman4579
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Sheffield looks like he's definately turned it around.

ironman4579
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Scotty, may I just say thank you for the return of "the lick."

Notredameleo
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
The lick is pretty sweet!!!

Scotty D
05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
The "lick" is quite nice. I agree.

Xiomera
05-04-2007, 08:44 AM
The "lick" is quite nice. I agree.

Very classy . . . http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

I liked that other sig you had the other day too . . . Detroit's war room strategy, lol.

Oh! This is the Tigers thread . . . better say something related . . .

Umm . . . umm . . . Neifi Perez sucks!http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Notredameleo
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Neifi Perez DOES suck...lol

Xiomera
05-05-2007, 11:27 AM
5 in a row baby!

Notredameleo
05-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Looks like we put Zumaya on the DL!!! That sucks

Xiomera
05-06-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1178430003146210.xml&coll=1

Out for MONTHS!

AHHHH!

We are screwed! Who are we gonna call up? Lopez again, now that Mesa is back?

LionSmack
05-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Lopez blows, that guy's got AA stuff and has trouble cracking 88 on the gun. He got by for a few batters when he showed up earlier but any length of time and he's gonna get tagged. Hopefully they'll come up with someone else.

Scotty D
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm really worried about Zumaya. We have been lucky with the health of our young pitchers lately.

Notredameleo
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
nice win today!!!

Scotty D
05-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Perez went off today. lmao

Notredameleo
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Sheff went off today!!!

ironman4579
05-07-2007, 04:59 AM
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1178430003146210.xml&coll=1

Out for MONTHS!

AHHHH!

We are screwed! Who are we gonna call up? Lopez again, now that Mesa is back?

Well, most people do say that it's almost physically impossible to throw as hard as Zumaya does. Apparently it actually is without injuring yourself. I'm honestly relieved that it's because of his finger, and not something in his arm. I hope he takes it slow and doesn't try to rush back. He's going to be special for a long time, and I'd hate to risk that. Just another reason why we shouldn't have included Whelan in the deal for Sheff.

Xiomera
05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
How about those 9th inning catches by Monroe and Magglio? OMG!

Scotty D
05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
WE GOING STREAKING!!!! WHAT IS THAT 8 IN A ROW?
http://www.ericwebster.net/images/archives/streaking_old_school.jpg

Xiomera
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
8 in a row indeed . . . and I am going to the game tomorrow!

I just hope to God it isn't rained out . . . forcast doesn't look too good . . .

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
05-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Have to love what is going on in Detroit right now. The Red Wings advanced to the western conference finals, the Pistons are up 2-0 on the Bulls and the Tigers just won their 8th straight last night. Sheffield is finnaly doing what he came in to do, being that power bat in the top of the lineup. Infante had a heck of a game, but regardless of his hit today I think everyone is waiting for Sean Casey to break out. When Casey breaks out the Tigers are going to be very dangerous. Even tho Durbin only has 3 decisions he is starting to get it going and it will be interesting to see where he goes when Rogers gets baCk and healthy. He could eventually be part of the bullpen. HoLLa baCk

jbombul
05-09-2007, 06:43 AM
dont forget that the lions had a good draft last weekend, everything is going detroits way right now IMO. we are a top 4 sports city with detroit, chicago, new york, and Los Angeles all in the mix. and xio, mags had me nervous when that ball was hit to him, i have a heart attack everytime the game is on the line and it is hit to him, it was definetly good to see him snow cone the ball

Xiomera
05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't you know it the game I get the private box to go watch the Tigers, they are probably gonna get rained out.

WTF!?

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Damn it was just a bad day for Detroit, first the Pistons lose and have to prolong the series against the Bulls. The Red Wings just lost the home ice against the Ducks and the Tigers are getting hammered against the Twins. I mean it ain't nothing new because we have all seen those days where nothing went right for Detroit sports teams. HoLLa baCk

ironman4579
05-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Meh, I didn't expect the Tigers to win that game with Vasquez pitching his first game in the majors. He's more of a bullpen guy anyway IMO.

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
05-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Damn the Tigers got crushed again tonight 7-1 by the Sox. I mean the Sox are tough but the tigers are the defending AL champs, and we have the offense but to me I think fatigue is kicking in. The next 6 or 7 games are going to be tough, w/ the 3 remaining in Boston then baCk to Comerica for a series against the champs(Cardinals).

Even when Rogers gets healthy, I think just to be safe the Tigers should try to acquire an ace along w/ a set up man by the deadline(just in case Zumaya will be rusty when he gets back). Do y'all agree/disagree? If you agree anyone have any idea of who could possibly be out there for trades? HoLLa baCk

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Disagree actually. To start with, the game last night was 3-1 before Seay gave up 4 runs, so out side of Seay, Nate Rob and our pen did pretty well. I wouldn't mind aquiring another guy for the bullpen, but Once Rogers comes back, that pushes Durbin out of the rotation, so there's some extra long relief if they wanted to use him that way. Zumaya should be back and healthy by August.

As for aquiring an ace, it's not that easy. First off, most teams aren't going to trade you an "ace" anyway. I highly doubt we'd be likely to get a Halladay or Peavy at the deadline, especially with the increased parity in baseball. Every team thinks they can turn it around in 2 or 3 seasons. If they lose that guy they might be screwed. That's not to mention the price you'd have to pay to get a guy like that. Probably an everyday player plus top prospects. An everyday is going to contribute more than a guy that pitches every 5th day. Plus, that's the reason the Tigers sucked for so long in the first place. Trading away prospects to get guys to help them now. Our farm system was completely barren before DD took over. And finally, in the playoffs, we'd be using a 4 man rotation anyway, and I would feel very confident with a 4 man of Rogers, Verlander, Robertson, and Bonderman. I'd put that foursome against any team in the league.

Xiomera
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
What would you like to see us add at the trade deadline?

I am hoping for an upgrade over Casey at 1B . . . seems ironic now since he was considered an upgrade last year at the deadline

Also, I wouldn't mind adding another bull-pen arm.

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
A bullpen arm that can eat some innings would be great. I think eventually Rodney will turn it around, and when Joel comes back, we'll have that great 7-8-9 inning group, although I'd actually prefer to see either Rodney or Zoom in the 8th rather than one of them in 7th, so if we have back to back tight games they aren't both tired. I think we can definately upgrade a few bullpen guys though ie. Seay(really wish we could have kept Walker), Mesa, Grilli, Lopez and Byrdak, although someone will be gone once Joel comes back. Possbly once Rogers gets back, we can drop Durbin back to the pen as extra long relief. But yes, a bullpen upgrade would be a big bonus. A starter is not a big need and out of the question IMO. With the derth of good pitching, you'd either get a slug, or have to give up too much to get a worthwhile guy.

I agree on first base. How long have we been looking for a good first baseman? Shelton was actually better defensively than Casey last year, and I think he could hit for a higher average, but he seems to have lost his patience, and will never hit for a ton of power without sacrificing his average IMO. Larish is in AA, and not ready for the majors IMO, but they might give him a look once rosters expand, although after a hot start he's struggling right now. They could try Thames at first full time, but I think you'd be sacrificing way too much D in that scenario. The problem is, there just aren't alot of first basemen out there that might be available at a reasonable price that can help us. Maybe Lyle Overbay, but he's not really a huge power guy either. We might be stuck with Casey and Shelton as our options to be honest with you. I would be willing to give up some prospects for a good upgrade however.

Another upgrade possibility is left field. I know Monroe hit some big HR's for us last year, but we could still upgrade that position. I'd have to look at who might be available there though.

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybin's still swinging it in High A. 35 games, 40 hits, .310/.433/.488/.912, 5 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR, 11 SB, 29 runs, 18 RBI, 27 BB, 46 K's. And the best part, no errors. Projected High A numbers for Maybin(keep in mind it's not a full 162 game schedule) 132 games, 151 hits, .310/.433/.488/.912, 19 2B, 11 3B, 15 HR, 42 SB, 110 runs, 68 RBI, 102 BB's, 174 K's. I would take that in his second season.

Andrew Miller had a very good start in his first game after his promotion to AA Erie, although I was surprised he was promoted when he wasn't terribly impressive in High A. However, as I've said before, the Tigers tend to move pitching prospects far faster than position prospects.

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM
It was a better performance from the Tigers tonight against the Sox. The season series is now tied 1-1 with the undefeated Maroth up tommorow.

It just sucks that the Pistons are down 95-75 with a little over 9 minutes left against the Bulls. Barring a miracle it looks as if there will be a game 6 in Chi-Town on Thursday night, w/ yet another opportunity to close out the series. HoLLa baCk

jbombul
05-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybin's still swinging it in High A. 35 games, 40 hits, .310/.433/.488/.912, 5 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR, 11 SB, 29 runs, 18 RBI, 27 BB, 46 K's. And the best part, no errors. Projected High A numbers for Maybin(keep in mind it's not a full 162 game schedule) 132 games, 151 hits, .310/.433/.488/.912, 19 2B, 11 3B, 15 HR, 42 SB, 110 runs, 68 RBI, 102 BB's, 174 K's. I would take that in his second season.

Andrew Miller had a very good start in his first game after his promotion to AA Erie, although I was surprised he was promoted when he wasn't terribly impressive in High A. However, as I've said before, the Tigers tend to move pitching prospects far faster than position prospects.

maybin needs to strike out alot less, good amount of walks though. and i agree pitching prospects do fly around in the tigers farm, sometimes positional players are stuck at the same level for 2-3 years after having solid numbers, case in point- juan baby bull tejada

ironman4579
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Meh, strikeouts don't bother me as long as they're coupled with alot of walks, and Maybin's are.

Xiomera
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Andrew Miller to start for us on Friday . . . against St. Louis at home, right?

jbombul
05-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Andrew Miller to start for us on Friday . . . against St. Louis at home, right?

im nervous i know that he pitched for us last year, i just dont want to see him wreck his career by coming up too early, but double d has been right for the most part since he has been our gm, so i have faith

ironman4579
05-17-2007, 02:34 PM
It's only a spot start for Bonderman until the cut from his blister heals. If Bondo's ready to make his next start, Miller will be sent back down. If not, he'll make one more start.

TwO WoRdS ThE LiOnS
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I am relieved the Pistons finished off the Bulls to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals tonight, while the Red Wings are losing 4-3 against the Ducks but even if they can't pull tonight off it's ok they got baCk the home ice. What really sucks is that the Tigers lost both the day/night doubleheader against the Red Sox and lost the central lead for now to the Indians. At least the Tigers are baCk home to Comerica for the next 2 or 3 series. HoLLa baCk

ironman4579
05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I think we actually played quite well against a very good Red Sox team. I'm even more impressed because we had Miner and Durbin going for the last two games. I think this team easily playoff bound, whether it's as division winners or not. However, at the start of the season, I predicted the Tigers to win the division, with the Indians as the wild card, and I'm definately sticking with it.

familyguy555
05-18-2007, 11:13 PM
went to the game today. Miller pitched awesome in a blowout

LionSmack
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Jesus, Magglio is destroying everything that moves. I have never seen a guy as hot as this, ever. 4-4 today, Tigers up 12-0 in the 6th. Wow.

Bootland27
05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Jesus, Magglio is destroying everything that moves. I have never seen a guy as hot as this, ever. 4-4 today, Tigers up 12-0 in the 6th. Wow.

He is the early favorite for the MVP.

Scotty D
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Magglio is just sick right now.

detroit4life
05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
yea maggs is provnign that his knee is healthy and that he has his strength back wow he's doing amazing right now asnd rly makes our lineup scary with sheff him and guillen in the middle.

Also can someone explain to me why Maybin is still in A ball. He ahd an entire year there last year why not move him up to double A

LionSmack
05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
The kid's still only 19, I think. He's got plenty of time and the Tigers can afford to bring him along properly.

detroit4life
05-25-2007, 07:00 AM
yea but does it hurt to put him in double A for the season rather than A. How much skilled pitching is he really facing in A ball i understand he is 19 and we are going to be pacient and thats a good thing but if he's still in A ball right now what is our time table for him 21 or 22 by the time he actually gets up here, he's gonig to need to spend a full year in double A IMO and after that still may not be ready i think it would be better to put him in double A now and let him see some better opponents

LionSmack
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, maybe, but either way he's still probably two years away from getting a shot with the Tigers so they might as well do what they see fit to bring him along.

Maybe there's some coach on that team who he has a good rapport with, maybe they want him to really build up his confidence before he takes the next step up, or some other reason why they like him at that level right now. The organization has now proven that they can develop players well, so I wouldn't second guess them too hard.

detroit4life
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, maybe, but either way he's still probably two years away from getting a shot with the Tigers so they might as well do what they see fit to bring him along.

Maybe there's some coach on that team who he has a good rapport with, maybe they want him to really build up his confidence before he takes the next step up, or some other reason why they like him at that level right now. The organization has now proven that they can develop players well, so I wouldn't second guess them too hard.

yeah thats true but IMO they're better with pitching that positional players. How many guys on their roster have they themselves actually brought up? Only three i can think of are infante, inge, and granderson. But in the end they do this as their job i dont so w.e. he'll be here when he gets here

ironman4579
05-25-2007, 03:31 PM
yea maggs is provnign that his knee is healthy and that he has his strength back wow he's doing amazing right now asnd rly makes our lineup scary with sheff him and guillen in the middle.

Also can someone explain to me why Maybin is still in A ball. He ahd an entire year there last year why not move him up to double A

Because he was in Low A last year, and he's in High A this year. There is a HUGE jump in talent from low A to high A, and an even bigger jump from high A to AA. AA is where most teams put their top prospects before jumping them to the majors. That and the Tigers are typically more cautious with position players than pitchers. I can see the reasoning, since pitchers are really in the minors basically to improve their stuff ie. add a change up, and to stretch out their innings. Position players have to learn how to hit far better breaking and offspeed pitches. The jump in quality of breaking pitches from Low A to High A and then for High A to AA is quite wide. If he's still raking at the half way point, then perhaps move him up. I would also point out that despite a great start, he has like 1 extra base hit, a double, in something like his last 10-15 games. We don't need to rush him through the system, and I certainly never thought he'd be in the majors any earlier than 2009, so he's basically right on track.

ironman4579
05-25-2007, 07:04 PM
As for Magglio, since you can't vote for pitchers for the All Star game, right now I'd be voting for 3, and possibly 4 Tigers. Magglio, and he sgould make it easily, whether by voting or a managers selection. Carlos, who lead all AL SS in OPS, SLG, and RBI, and is second in BA, and OBP. He should also make it easily, although I doubt he gets voted in since everyone has a love affair with Jeter. Third would be Granderson, who is actually second in the AL in extra base hits right now, and has the second best OPS of any CF in the AL. He's put up superior numbers to Sizemore, and only Hunter has had a better season. Unfortunately, since the voting doesn't go by position, but they just choose outfielders regardless of position, and he's not even on the ballot, I doubt he makes it, even though he deserves it. And the last one would be Polanco. Other second basemen have better numbers, but I think I'll give him a vote just because he's so underrated, and he does so many little things that help us win games.

P-L
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Tigers select the #1 rated prep pitcher since Josh Beckett in 1999 with the #27 overall pick in today's MLB Draft. Most people had Rick Porcello as a top two prospect, and even some felt that he was the #1 prospect in this draft. Porcello fell to #27 because many teams were afraid his contract demands were going to be too high. It is rumored that Porcello wants $10 million and a major league contract. Remember, the Tigers have a history of signing guys with signability concerns. In the last three drafts, Justin Verlander, Cameron Maybin, and Andrew Miller all went lower than expected teams didn't want to meet their contract demands. If the Tigers can sign Porcello before the August 15th deadline, they could have the best pitcher to come out of this draft class.

ironman4579
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm not completely sure the Tigers will get him signed. If the rumors that he wants a major league contract are true, I think that'll throw quite a monkey wrench in IMO. I just can't see signing a high school pitcher to a major league contract, no matter how good he is.

P-L
06-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually, I feel the Tigers are one of the few teams that can afford to pay him, waste a roster spot, and let him develop. That doesn't guarantee they'll sign him, but I like the chances of them signing him more than almost any other team (except for the Yankees).

ironman4579
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, in terms of salary numbers, I don't see a problem at all. I believe the Tigers have shown a willingness to spend and be a "large market team" over the last few years. I'm just wondering if they'll be willing to sign a high school prospect to a major league contract and risk him barely seeing the majors before he's eligible for a new contract. However, I actually think they'll get a deal done, no matter what the terms of the contract end up being.

As a side note, I think I'm the only one that still posts over at your baseball site PL. I'm having conversations with myself over there lately.

LionSmack
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, considering they did the exact same thing the last three years, picking a guy at a lower spot because of salary concerns, and then got them all signed with no problems, and all three look like they have legitimate star potential, then I have no concerns about this whatsoever.

Even if this guy is the one hard ass out of the group and just won't sign, that's still 3 bullseyes out of 4 darts. Not bad.