PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox 2007 season thread

Pages : [1] 2

Jay
04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I tried editing the other one but it wouldn't change the title...

Season starts tomorrow in Kansas City. Curt Schilling vs. Gil Meche. Anyone else pumped?!?! I think we're looking pretty solid all the way around this year. All the matchups:

Monday, April 2 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 4:10 PM ET
BOS Curt Schilling, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Gil Meche, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: Schilling makes his second consecutive Opening Day start for the Red Sox. In last year's opener, he defeated the Rangers by allowing just five hits and two runs over seven innings. Schilling is 3-0 with a 2.93 ERA in six career Opening Day starts. After an injury-plagued 2005 season, Schilling re-emerged into one of the most dependable aces in the game last year. His 183 strikeouts were fifth in the American League. Schilling ranked sixth in winning percentage at .682. He led the Major Leagues with a 6.54 strikeouts-to-walk ratio. In his career against the Royals, Schilling is 3-2 with a 3.86 ERA.

Royals: Meche will make his Royals debut after signing a five-year $55 million contract in December. This will be his first Opening Day assignment in the Majors. He has a 3-1 career record with a 4.35 ERA in six games against the Red Sox.

Wednesday, April 4 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 8:10 PM ET
BOS Josh Beckett, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Odalis Perez, LHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: Beckett is hoping to be more consistent in his second year in Boston. Still, he did achieve career-highs last year in wins and innings. Beckett pitched his best game of last season against the Royals, firing eight shutout innings. On the road, he was 9-5 with a 5.21 ERA. Beckett's 31 wins over the last two seasons rank eighth in the Major Leagues. Beckett has limited opponents to a .239 average over his first five seasons.

Royals: In his lone start against the Red Sox last season, Perez gave up three runs, two earned, on five hits in six innings, while striking out a season-high 10 batters in a no-decision. He left with a 5-3 lead, but the bullpen couldn't hold on to the lead.

Thursday, April 5 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 2:10 PM ET
BOS Daisuke Matsuzaka, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Zack Greinke, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: After months of anticipation, Matsuzaka finally makes his official debut in a Red Sox uniform. At least during Spring Training, he appeared ready to live up to his lofty billing. Matsuzaka was a legend in Japan during his eight-year career with the Seibu Lions. He went 108-60 with a 2.95 ERA while producing 1,355 strikeouts. Matsuzaka also led Japan to victory in the Inaugural World Baseball Classic. En route to the MVP award, Matsuzaka went 3-0 with a 1.38 ERA.

Royals: Greinke, a 2002 first-round pick, spent most of last season with Double-A Wichita, where he went 8-3 with a 4.34 ERA in 18 games. He was a September callup after the Texas League playoffs and made three relief appearances. Greinke had a spectacular Spring Training to earn a rotation slot.

luckyjackaubrey
04-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Dice - K gets the toughest matchup with the kid Greinke. He was a phenom a few years back. Last year he walked away from the game , a bit of a head case. Seems he is back this year and right on track to be a future ace.

I am anxious to see the growth of the kids in Pawtucket this year. The rotation looks a little thin now with Paps in the pen. I hope the young guys start off strong b/c I think we will have another year of the constant injury watch.

God help Coco if he goes 0 for April....

In Tek we trust !

Jay
04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
If Coco struggles, I think Drew shifts to center and Wily Mo gets more at bats. Coco pretty much just needs to get us through this year because Jacoby Ellsbury is going to be playing CF for the next 10 years starting next year.

I'm probably going to try to hit some of the minor league games this year. At least once for all three local farm teams, Lowell in A ball, Portland in AA and Pawtucket. I want to see Clay Buchholz pitch. We've got some nasty prospects in the system right now:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury OF, Portland 23
2. Clay Buchholz SP, Portland 22
3. Michael Bowden SP, Lancaster 20
4. Dustin Pedroia 2B, Boston 23
5. Bryce Cox RP, Portland 22
6. Daniel Bard SP, Lancaster 21
7. George Kottaras C, Pawtucket 23
8. Justin Masterson SP, Lancaster 22
9. Jason Place OF, Greenville 18
10. Lars Anderson 1B, Greenville 18

All from http://www.soxprospects.com/

The guys in bold are the ones everyone should be really excited about. Lars Anderson would have been a first round pick last year if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE thought he was going to college and wouldn't sign, so we ended up getting him in the 18th, paying first round money, and getting a guy that projects to be similar to Justin Mourneau. Buchholz and Bowden will start getting all the hype that Papelbon and Lester got two years ago, especially Buchholz since he is finally playing in New England. Bowden should be in Portland by the end of the year, and realistically, Bard may be too. Bryce Cox may be in our bullpen sometime this year. He's going to get a lot of hype too, and probably surpass Craig Hansen as our #1 bullpen prospect.

As for Zack Greinke, he's not quite the prospect he once was. I am glad Dice-K gets to ease his way in with the Royals. Due to the day off, Tavarez more than likely won't get his start this turn, which is fine with me...

Jay
04-02-2007, 02:53 PM
15 minutes to go!! Hurry up and stupid Yankees/DRays game!!

Jay
04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Papi with an RBI double in the first, 1-0 Sox!!

Jay
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Rough first for Schilling, but it could have been worse. Struck out Gordon in his first major league at bat with the bases loaded...

Jay
04-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Nice rip by Pedroia but he got caught being greedy haha. The kids gonna be good.

Jay
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Safe to say Schill looks a bit rusty today. 5 runs through four, eesh. You know it's opening day when there's a sell out in KC...

Don Vito
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Schilling's poor outing isnt really suprising. I think hell be better by the end of April though. 5-1 to KC through 5 is not a good way to start 2007.

Jay
04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Julio Lugo has been brutal, thankfully he actually got a hit at the end here...

ElectricEye
04-03-2007, 02:17 AM
That was pretty bad. Hopefully Schill isn't declining, because he didn't look like the Curt Schilling I've seen in that game. Anyway....it will be interesting to see how Beckett does.

Jay
04-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Schill was just missing his spots. Let's see if he has gone a'blogging yet...

Jay
04-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Game 1 4/2/07 @ KC
Apr 2nd, 2007 by Curt Schilling

Not sure where to even start. Two words sum it up best, no command. Can’t remember a game where I couldn’t make adjustments but today was certainly one of those. Not so much the secondary pitches but no fastball command is not something that happens much, if at all, over an entire game (even if the ‘game’ for me only lasts 4 innings).

We grabbed a quick lead on David’s double, which followed Youk’s single and immediately I’m in a spot that pitchers crave. Shutting down the other team after you take a lead. It can be a morale booster to your team, and a morale breaker to the opponent. KC was coming off a spring training that saw them hit better than every team but one in Arizona so I knew they were swinging the bats well.

The bullpen wasn’t good or bad, felt fine and got loose easy.

Started Dejesus off with some fastballs, which felt like they got more life as I started to throw. Got in on him for a fly ball to right. Grud worked the count to 3-1, laying off the first change at 1-1, and a FB down and away ended up middle in for a hard single to left. Had Teahan down quick and left a split up for another single 1-2 (I think). First pitch slider to Sweeney didn’t slide, bad miss. Next slider was better and he stayed on it and hit it hard to right to load the bases. Gordon worked a 7 pitch AB, and chased a good split down for out #2. A lengthy AB from Shealy, saw me go to the split 3-2 which he took for ball 4 to walk in a run. I can’t remember if I ever done that? Made a lot of mistakes inside this one AB and it ended up costing us.Overthrowing some balls when I had a chance to end the AB earlier and missing spots too badly to even get him to offer. Gload went 0-1 on a FB away and then I got in on him with a 1-0 cutter for the final out. 33 pitches, bases loaded walk, 1-1 game.

Not the start I was hoping for. Walking off the mound I knew my FB command was crap, and that I’d need to get it right fast.

Buck led off the second with a rope to SS on a 3-2 fastball. Anytime I get to a 3-2 count I am bothered, but getting behind and into deep counts on primarily fastballs is a bad sign. You have to have the ability to make adjustments off mistakes, something I’ve always felt I do, and today I am not sure I did it more than once. Got Pena to two strikes and hung a split badly that he crushed for a triple. Worked some FB and cutters to Dejesus and ended up getting him looking at strike 3 on a fastball away. Two outs again, RISP. Grud hits a 2-0 change that again leave up in the zone, to RF and it’s 2-1. Work Teahan FB, change and get him chasing a split to end the inning.

Third inning starts with Sweeney flying out to center on a 1-0 change up. Gordon works another 7 pitch AB before freezing on a hanging split on the outside corner. I get Shealy to end the inning with a 2 seamer inside, for a GB to third. Gload grounds out on a split to start the second inning. Buck then hits a 1-1 2 seam FB down the LF line for a double. I then throw Pena 5 FBs, and walk him on a 3-1 count. None of the pitchers are anywhere near where I am trying to throw them and I’m wrestling with that while trying to dismiss it, and get the next guy. Dejesus hits a FB to left and again, I am 2 outs with RISP. Grud crushes a FB away that’s up, to deep right for a 2B and Teahan hits a first pitch back door slider that never gets to the back door back up the middle for another run. The inning ends on a 1-2 split that Mike chases.

8 Hits on 7 different counts. A huge bug for me last year was first pitch hits, which doesn’t happen until the final two hits in the fourth today. All five runs score with 2 outs. I had more than ample chances to make this a game, and never did. Inconsistent command and horrific execution cost us the game. When you are facing a guy like Gil certain things can make it easier or harder. He’ll walk some guys if you give your offense a chance. His stuff is so good that when offenses have to press against him, or their down and need to make something happen, he can eat you up. After the first he settled into a nice groove and executed. He pitched a hell of a game and hats off to the KC fans, this towns always been a great baseball city with great sports fans, pretty sure the day and the standing O will be lifetime memories, just always hope you aren’t the guy on the other side when someone has one of those kinds of days. I never let us get into the game after the first. Every inning they pushed and I didn’t push back.

Off day tomorrow and then Josh gets the ball on Wednesday.

http://38pitches.com/2007/04/02/game-1-4207-kc/

Jay
04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Josh Beckett is about to make his first start, here are tonight's lineups:

Red Sox

1. SS -- Julio Lugo: 0-2 vs. Odalis Perez. Three K's on Opening Day.
2. 1B -- Kevin Youkilis: 2-for-4 vs. Perez.
3. DH -- David Ortiz: 4-for-6 and a homer vs. Perez.
4. LF -- Manny Ramirez: 2-for-8 vs. Perez.
5. RF -- J.D. Drew: 2-for-7 vs. Perez.
6. 3B -- Mike Lowell: 2-for-14 with a home run.
7. C -- Jason Varitek: 1-for-5. Boy does he need to hit.
8. CF -- Coco Crisp: 2-for-6 vs. Perez.
9. 2B -- Dustin Pedroia: First time facing Perez. Two hits in the opener.
P -- Josh Beckett

Royals

1. CF -- David DeJesus: 2-for-11 vs. Beckett
2. 2B -- Mark Grudzielanek: 4-for-11
3. RF -- Mark Teahen: 2-for-6, 2 RBI vs. Beckett.
4. DH -- Mike Sweeney: 1-for-6 vs. Beckett.
5. 3B -- Alex Gordon: First time vs. Beckett.
6. LF -- Emil Brown: 0-for-3 vs. Beckett.
7. 1B -- Ross Gload: 0-for-1.
8. C -- Jason LaRue: 0-for-2 vs. Beckett. John Buck started on OD and homered.
9. SS -- Tony Pena: Two triples opening day. Great play behind the bag. Faces Beckett for the first time.
P -- Odalis Perez

Jay
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
<object width="400" height="130"><param name="movie"></param><embed src="http://www.boston.com/sports/openingDay_countdown2_032807.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="130"></embed></object>

Jay
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Double post...

Jay
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I wasn't sure how I felt about JD Drew during the offseason but I am very quickly becoming a fan.

1-0 Sox in the first on a Papi walk, Manny single and Drew double.

Jay
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
3-0 Sox on a two RBI double by Lowell. \m/

All with two outs in the first. This thread is going to be like.... 200 pages by the end of the season hahaha...

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Beckett is looking good so far, he's just having a hard time with his off-speed pitches, mainly the curve. The Royals aren't doing him any favors by biting at the close ones.

Lowell with two errors in the third. Wow. He's too good for that...

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that was odd. He's battling. Hasn't settled in yet, but then again he's not getting the best from the umpire. A few that were called outside looked like strikes through my homer vision. But he's mixing his pitches. That's encouraging.
Just struck out Alex Gordon.
Just got out of a jam. Sit down rookie.

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
His fastball is looking AMAZING. So much zip and power.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
His fastball is looking AMAZING. So much zip and power.

Yeah, I thought it was a little weird he didn't try a changeup on the 1-2 count though. But he does have a good fastball tonight.

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
He's throwing too many first pitch changes and curves down in the zone and there is no pressure to bite. I agree. Some of that falls on Varitek, thought...

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
That's one of the first K's I've ever seen Beckett get on anything besides a fastball :p

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Some of these pitches are just missing, and the ump certainly isn't doing Josh any favors...

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
And one pitch at-bats to Sweeney are a good thing haha... as long as it's an out...

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah. I agree with you about the first pitch thing. He's getting down in counts, which makes what he's doing more impressive, battling back and all....but I would like to see him get ahead in the count. It probably has a lot too do with the scouting report out on him right now. Sit on the fastball, and don't swing at any of the breaking stuff. It will probably be like this for his first few starts.

Jay
04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Eh... looks like Beckett is done after five... 94 pitches. I guess it makes sense not to push him...

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, guess we're gonna see just how improved our bullpen is. If we get the ball to Pap, we're good. But without Timlin, I'm a bit worried. Hope we can get something going on offense here.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Well one pitch, one out for Javier Lopez. And a broken bat to-boot. Woooord.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, we got another run. 2 1/3 till Papelbon time :)

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
My one observation after one and a half game is that Coco and Lugo are struggling BADLY already. Coco especially, at least Lugo has hit the ball a little. Coco just looks lost.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
My one observation after one and a half game is that Coco and Lugo are struggling BADLY already. Coco especially, at least Lugo has hit the ball a little. Coco just looks lost.

If we could swing a deal for Andruw Jones at the dealine with Coco and Pena(unlikely, I know, but I can dream lol), I would be happy. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, but Coco is playing his way out of Boston. I mean, I'm sure he'll do well for being in the 8 spot, but he was supposed to be more than that.
Snyder is in. Will be interesting to see how he does against his former team.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd rather see Ellsbury come up at this point, he's so close. I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Coco while we can still get SOMETHING for him.

Where is RavenOfProphecy lately? Interested how he is feeling about JD Drew so far, I know we talked about it at lengths over the offseason. I was talking to a friend earlier and I described him as Trot Nixon x 20, with more speed, more power and he can actually hit lefties, plus the injuries... haha.

And Dustin Pedroia is well on his way to being one of my favorites. I love the little dude, he just plays the game with such enthusiasm. Kind of reminds me of a young Craig Biggio... but not the young catcher Craig Biggio haha...

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
And Youk hits the first HR of 2007 \m/

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Ellsbury coming up would be better I suppose....Don't have to give anything for him. I wonder who would take a chance on Coco at this point though.
YOUUUUUK! HOME RUN!
And lol@ Remy for making fun of that guy. Still not done either.
As for JD Drew, he's looked better than I thought at this point. Good pretty good defense. He saved a few runs for Beckett by running down that ball...and he has a good eye.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Poor kid, I hope he is a Royals fan and doesn't have friends watching haha.

Ellsbury will definitely make his debut this year, probably with call-ups, and from there he'll be playing for a job. The good news is we are deep at OF if anyone gets hurt, with Hinske and Wily Mo on the big club and David Murphy and Alex Ochoa in Pawtuckett.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Hah, yeah, that's not something you want to be known for lol. But who knows? Maybe some chicks would be into it.
Yeah, we have very good depth in the outfield now. If Manny starts PMS'ing again, which wouldn't be a big deal since he only does it when we're out of contention, we're in pretty good shape. Drew and Crisp are less durable though. If they go down, we can eat it for a few weeks.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Papi showing the wheels!

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Lowell flied out to end the inning though lol. I love it when he runs. The dudes a f'ing tank.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm loving the warning track power we're displaying haha. And can't wait for the Jap to finally throw tomorrow. I knew there would be hype, but god damn has there been SO much hype. I love this, though:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_dicekillustration_bosto.jpg

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
And while I am posting pics, here's one I can't wait to see a lot of:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_JE_3.2.07_bgbc.jpg

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hah, funny Matsuzaka picture. Yeah, it will be very interesting to see how he does in a real game. Remy and Orsillo mentioned he pitched mostly in domes too...so it will be interesting to see how he throws in cold weather.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:50 PM
From what I have read, he said today that the cold doesn't bother him.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, Snyder pitched well tonight. The bullpen held the lead. Good sign, but hopefully they can keep it up.

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
More Warning Track Power!!!

Jay
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey look at that, Coco actually gets on base. I guess Coco Crisp isn't so soggy after all...

Jay
04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey look at that, Lugo with an RBI, Coco scoring from second. Signs of life after all!!

And Dustin Pedroia, man, it seems like every time I post he is doing something, that liner he ripped on Pena was just that, RIPPED.

Jay
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
JC Romero, haha. I can't believe he is on the Red Sox. I will never forget Spring Training 2004 when my friend almost got in a fight with him. He was hanging out in the bullpen and we were sitting right by it at the Twins park, and my friend is going back and forth and talking lots of crap, JC was getting pissssssed. I thought we were going to get kicked out haha.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow. 3 Errors for Mike Lowell. That's weird. We pretty much have the win though.
And you know it's baseball season when you hear the first Yankees Suck chant :)

Jay
04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Three errors in the second game of the year and he only had six all of last year.

Pineiro looks good, and so did JC Romero. Great first win for the Sox!!

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, now that theres no pressure on Pineiro, I think I think he can be quite valuable in situations like we just saw. I'm glad we have 3 left handers in the pen this year too.

Jay
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Definitely, now I can't wait for 2 tomorrow for the Jap! I love calling him "The Jap." I'm not being a racist or anything, it just sounds cool haha.

ElectricEye
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Definitely, now I can't wait for 2 tomorrow for the Jap! I love calling him "The Jap." I'm not being a racist or anything, it just sounds cool haha.

Yeah, it will be quite the spectacle. The Japanese media have been in hiding the past few days, but tomorrow I have a feeling that will change lol.

Jay
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Todays's lineup:

SS Julio Lugo: 2-for-5 vs. Royals starter Zach Greinke.
1B Kevin Youkilis: Off a two-run homer game.
DH David Ortiz: 1-for-6 so far in the series.
LF Manny Ramirez: 1-for-6, two walks in the series.
RF J.D. Drew: What a nice start. Graceful player and 2-for-3 against Grienke.
3B Mike Lowell: Don't think we'll ever see it again. His first ever three-error game on Wednesday. Had 11 doubles in April, '06, two doubles so far.
C Jason Varitek: Hit the ball well Wednesday, but still 1-for-7.
CF Coco Crisp: Looks lost at the plate, but he's 5-for-21 against Zack Greinke.
2B Dustin Pedroia: Has hit the ball well (3-for-6 so far).
P Dice-K

ElectricEye
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Hour an a half till Matsuzaka starts. Can't friggan wait.

Jay
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I am currently in a virtual waiting room for tickets in Conigliaro's Corner, which went on sale today. The seats are grossly over-priced for aluminum bleacher seats way in the nose bleeds, but I don't care, I didn't think I'd be up here for any games...

ElectricEye
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah, tickets are VERY hard to come by these days...
But it's worth it. Nothing like a game at Fenway.
Anyway...half hour :)

Jay
04-05-2007, 12:58 PM
SICK!! JUST GOT OPENING DAY TICKETS!!

And I got tickets against the Rockies in June. **** yeah!!

Jay
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Ah damn, just realized it wasn't opening day, but I still get to see the Jap pitch his first game at Fenway!! \m/

Jay
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
And a nice two out RBI double for Manny, the Sox have scored in the first in all three games this season.

Jay
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
And Daisuke Matsuzaka is about to throw his first pitch for the Red Sox... and it's fouled off by David DeJesus!

Jay
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Nice double play to get him out of the first! They aren't hitting him hard, that's the good news, and he's not missing by much...

Jay
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
And Ross Gload goes down as his first strikeout victim!! Dice-K is solid!

Jay
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Wow, Dice-K has definitely settled in, retired 9 straight and back to back strikeouts to open the fourth!

Zack Greinke has been unreal, too, though.

Jay
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Struck out the side!!

ElectricEye
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Daisuke is the man. Won't be posting much during the game. Want to drink it all in lol. But since that double play, he's looked very good.

Jay
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
They are starting to get to him here in the sixth. Nice strike 'em out throw 'em out that really bailed the Jap out, because Emil Brown followed up with a double that would have tied the game. I think he's going to get one more out and be done...

Jay
04-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Well, the Jap is officially done for the day: 10K's, 1BB, 6H in 7IP. Great game. Couldn't have asked for more from any start, let alone is first. I am officially pumped!!

And we added two runs, with Coco Crisp finally getting on board with his first base hit. You could see the relief on his face. 4-1 in the 8th...

Jay
04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
And Paps closes out his first game of the year, Daisuke Mastsuzaka gets his first major league win!!

Jay
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Jon Lester allowed one hit in four scoreless innings in his start for low Single-A Greenville on Thursday.

Lester will make three more starts in the South Atlantic League before the Red Sox reevaluate his status. He'll probably be sent to Triple-A Pawtucket once he's finished at Greenville.

Encouraging news!!

ElectricEye
04-06-2007, 05:28 AM
Good Lester news.
Even better Daisuke line. Really nice game. That double play was huge for him. After that, the Royals couldn't do anything against him.

Jay
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Got more tickets for the Devil Rays series in September last night \m/

Jay
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Today's lineups:

Red Sox

1. Julio Lugo, SS
2. Kevin Youkilis, 1B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Manny Ramirez, LF
5. J.D. Drew, RF
6. Mike Lowell, 3B
7. Coco Crisp, CF
8. Doug Mirabelli, C
9. Dustin Pedroia, 2B

SP - Tim Wakefield

Rangers

1. Kenny Lofton, CF
2. Frank Catalanotto, DH
3. Michael Young, SS
4. Mark Teixeira, 1B
5. Sammy Sosa, RF
6. Hank Blalock, 3B
7. Brad Wilkerson, LF
8. Gerald Laird, C
9. Ian Kinsler, 2B

SP - Robinson Tejeda

Jay
04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Wakefield is not off to a good start here. Sammy Sosa just check swinged for an RBI single that just blooped right in the perfect spot behind second, and since Michael Young was off on contact, he scored from second. The Hank Blalock missed a three run HR by a few feet to the right of the foul pole before grounding out to end the inning two pitches later.

This is why I have always hated having Wakefield. When he's on, he is ON, and has flirted with no hitters more times than I can remember, but at the same time, his best pitch goes like 65 MPH.

Oh well, could be worse, only 1-0 Rangers after one...

Jay
04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Wake has settled in to retire 10 in a row now ending the fifth, but the Sox can't seem to buy a hit off this Tejada kid. The warning track power so far has been astounding!!

Jay
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
And they got blanked. Wake pitched fine, the bullpen continues to shine. Really nothing you can do about this one, Sammy Sosa bloops a single for a run and Mirabelli drops the ball at home plate when if he held it, the second run may have been an out. I guess these games just happen...

ElectricEye
04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Ortiz doesn't look the same. He and Manny are definitely cold. Not a very fun game to watch. Zero offense. Well, let's hope that doesn't happen often this year. We're in trouble if it does.
Anyway, good pitching, crap offense.

Jay
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Ortiz lost two singles hitting into the shift. He'll get there.

ElectricEye
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
This shift is getting real old fast. It works to damned well. But that just goes to show you how good Ortiz is.

Jay
04-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm going to try to keep everything up to date as far as the Red Sox minor league teams are concerned:

Today's Games (All Times Eastern)

IL: Pawtucket (Mike Timlin) @ Charlotte (Lance Broadway) [7:15pm]
EL: Portland vs. Connecticut - Postponed
CL: Lancaster (Kris Johnson) vs. Bakersfield (Andy Walker) [8:00pm]
SAL: Greenville (Dustin Richardson) @ Charleston (Grant Duff) [~7:30pm]

Pawsox: WHJJ 920 (http://www.whjjam.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=122060&article=1937127)
Jethawks: Magic 1340 (http://www.magic1340.com/main.html)
Drive: Riverdogs Broadcast (http://www.broadcastmonsters.com/charleston/riverdogs040707.asx)

Jay
04-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Yesterday's results:

Charleston 8, Greenville 2

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_06_capafx_crdafx_1

Highlights:

Chris Jones, P: 5 IP, 1BB, 3K, 0H
Lars Anderson 1B: 2-4, double,

Jay
04-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Yesterday:

Bakersfield 11, Lancaster 9

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_06_bakafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Daniel Bard, P (professional debut): 2.2IP, 4ER, 6H, 1BB, 1K
Bubba Bell, CF: 4-5, 2HR, 2R, 6RBI
Zach Daegas, DH: 2-4, 1BB

Jay
04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Yesterday:

Pawtucket 5, Charlotte 1

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_06_pawaaa_chraaa_1

Highlights:

Devern Hansack, P: W (1-0), 5.2IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 10K
Craig Hansen, P: S (1), 2IP, 1H, 1BB, 0ER, 4K
David Murphy, RF: 2-5
Brandon Moss, CF: 2-4, double, 1R

ElectricEye
04-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Good to see Hansen get a save. I really hope he does well. So much talent. Would be sad to see him waste it.

Jay
04-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Rough loss tonight. Not much you can do. Tavarez just fell apart in the fourth. They really need to start hitting. Alright, time to check in on how the kids did...

Jay
04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Pawtucket 4, Charlotte 3

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_07_pawaaa_chraaa_1

Highlights:

Mike Timlin, P: 1IP, 1H, 1ER 0BB, 0K
David Pauley, P: 6IP, 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 5K
Edgar Martinez, P: Blown save.
David Murphy, CF: 0-3, 2BB, 2R

Jay
04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Lancaster 19, Bakersfield 5

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_07_bakafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Bubba Bell, CF: 3-5, double, 2 HR, 3 R, 4 RBI
Aaron Bates, DH: 1-5, 3 RBI, 3R, double, 1BB, 1K
Zach Daegas, 1B: 3-5, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1BB
Ryan Khoury, 2B: 2-4, 2 RBI, 2 doubles, 2 R, 1BB

Jay
04-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Charleston 2, Greenville 1

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_07_capafx_crdafx_1

Highlights:

Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-3, 1RBI, 1BB
Josh Papelbon, P: 1 IP, 1H, 1BB, 0ER

ElectricEye
04-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Lars Anderson is an exciting prospect. Quite a bit of power potential. Anders, Place, and Ellsbury are the future of our offense.

Jay
04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
So far, I am more impressed with the numbers I am seeing from Bubba Bell. In the last two games, he's 7-10 with 4 HR's, 10 RBI, 5 R and a double. GOD DAMN!

But Lars is already clearly the star for Gabe Kapler's club in Greenville.

Jay
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Today's games:

Today's Games (All Times Eastern):

IL: Pawtucket (Runelvys Hernandez) @ Charlotte (Gavin Floyd) [2:15pm]
EL: Portland vs. Connecticut - POSTPONED
CL: Lancaster (Justin Masterson) vs. Bakersfield (Keith Ramsey) [5:00pm]
SAL: Greenville (Brian Steinocher) @ Charleston (Mike Dunn) [4:15pm]

The entire first series for Portland got canceled. Bummer, because I am looking forward to seeing what Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz are going to do. They were also scheduled to pick up their Eastern League Championship rings...

Justin Masterson is another solid pitching prospect going in Lancaster today...

ElectricEye
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, Masterson is good. We have a hell of a minor league system right now. Lot of prospects. Good arms everywhere...and my personal favorite among them is Daniel Bard. I'll be watching him closely. Saw the guy pitch in the college world series. He has STUFF. Threw 95-97 on almost every pitch.

Jay
04-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Our system will be ranked a little higher starting next year when a lot of these kids come up from A ball. The problem is, most of our talent is in the lower minors, and since they are further away, they are not worth quite as much...

ElectricEye
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Our system will be ranked a little higher starting next year when a lot of these kids come up from A ball. The problem is, most of our talent is in the lower minors, and since they are further away, they are not worth quite as much...

It will come. Seriously, if we hold on to these guys, we should be in the top 5 in a few years.

Jay
04-08-2007, 05:01 PM
It will come. Seriously, if we hold on to these guys, we should be in the top 5 in a few years.

Next year...

Jay
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Charlotte 4, Pawtucket 3 (12 innings)

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_08_pawaaa_chraaa_1

Highlights:

Pawtucket takes 3-1 lead in top of 12th only to blow it in the bottom half.

Manny Delcarmen, P: 2 IP, 0ER, 1BB, 2K
Runelvys Hernandez, P: 5.2 IP, 3H, 1ER, 0BB, 5K

Jay
04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
And Greenville is currently getting crushed 8-1 in the sixth. Lars Anderson knocked in the only run so far, but is 0-3...

Jay
04-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Papi finally got it going! Two HR's so far in his first two AB's, and Schilling seems to be cruising aside from a solo shot from Catalandado...

Jay
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Lancaster 12, Bakersfield 7

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_08_bakafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Bubba Bell, CF: 4-6, HR, 5 RBI, 2 R
Zach Daegas, DH: 3-5, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, 1 R

Bubba Bell for the week (4 games): 12-21, 5 HR, 16 RBI, 7 R, 2 doubles, 1 BB, 1 K

WOW.

P-L
04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure if it was already discussed (I just remembered this thread) but Jon Lester looked real good the other day. He only went 4 innings, but he only gave up 2 H and had 5 K.

Jay
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, the way Tavarez pitched in his first game, the sooner he is back, the better.

Piniero really screwed this game up here in the 8th. One run in with a man on first and third. Youk ALMOST had that for a double play...

Jay
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
WOW. Papelbon just made a massive statement. What a game. Five batters, 16 pitches, five HUGE outs. 3k's. Paps was hitting 96 on the gun. Schilling gets his first win!

Incredible. I take back EEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHING I said about Paps going back to the pen.

ElectricEye
04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Papelbon is still the man. Those guys had no chance against him.

Jay
04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
They really didn't. I've seen him pitch about every game he's pitched in the majors, and that is the most dominant I have ever seen him. That's the most zip I have ever seen on his fastball. Now let's see if he can maintain that for the entire season. If he pitches like this all year and has an ERA like last year, we're talking Cy Young at the end of the season...

Jay
04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Curt Schilling's blog after the game:

All things considered this trip could have been worse. Offensively we aren’t even close to clicking yet we still managed to break even on the road. Jon Papelbon was incredible last night. It’s not what he did as much as it is how he did it and who he did it against. I’d bet that most GM’s in the game would have Michael Young as a guy anyone would love to build a franchise around. I’ve never heard a negative thing about him on or off the field. The guys that coached in Texas, Demarlo, Terry, Donny K, all talk incredibly highly of him as a player and even moreso as a man. He’s a throwback who can flat out hit. Very rarely do you see hitters that good get beaten like that, in that situation. Paps stuff is just that good. Some of the sequences they used to finish off the game were outstanding.

David just crushed both of those balls and were it not for the Gold Glover manning first he’d have had a nice three hit night. His numbers belied how well he hit some balls in KC too. If this were the late May series Manny would likely have had 1, if not 2, home runs as he barreled 2 balls to dead center. We swung the bats good tonight against a guy that’s got some uncomfortable stuff for hitters. Vincente has been on the cusp of being a very consistent good pitcher for a few years now. His sinker is heavy and when he’s on he can beat the crap out of the bottom of the strike zone. He seems to have added a slow hook this year as well. Mixed it in nice in a few different situations.

Once again we jump out in the first, this time on David’s first HR of the year. Manny crushed one right behind him that died in deep center. This ballpark is a pure hitter’s haven when it warms up but it seems as if it plays huge when it’s even slightly cold in Arlington.

I certainly felt better warming up than I did 6 days ago. We worked on some stuff, both physical and mental, over the last 5 days to try and get things moving in the right direction. My number one concern coming out of KC was the absence of fastball command. My other stuff was horrid in KC but none of that really factored in when I couldn’t locate my fastball.

I have seen Kenny Lofton quite extensively in the NL and for the most part the game plan we had going in was one I felt would work if I could execute consistently. Started him off with two fastballs to go 0-2 and tried to get after the last pitch which finished the AB on a swinging third strike.

In 2004, we were getting ready for our first home series and going over the Toronto hitters and I can remember a few guys talking about how Cat hit everything against Boston. It’s turned out to be the case as I’ve watched him do it over the last 3 years, series after series. Coming into tonight he was 10-19 off of me and I would guess he’s hit every pitch I have at least once. I thought the plan we went in with was a good one, right up to the point I left the 2-1 change up on the inner half of the plate. Left handed hitters, guys that don’t hit a lot of home runs, usually have the same hot spot. Leave a pitch inner half soft up, or hard down and they can drop the bat head to it. No idea why right hander’s don’t, but it’s seems to be a natural left handed swing path. I actually thought the pitch was a good one out of my hand. The only hope I had was for it to hook foul, which I knew about a third of the way out it was not going to. 1-1 game 2 hitters in. Michael Young comes up next and hammers an overthrown high fastball to right for another hit. Like all AL lineups, things don’t get any easier from this point on. Texeira comes up next. The first few splits I’ve thrown feel good and I am getting it to stay at the bottom of the zone. His AB ends with a called third strike on a fastball on the outside corner. He may not be the 60 HR a year guy anymore, but the HR Sammy hit the night before makes me believe he’s still got his pop. The ball was not traveling well in this series and he hit one to left center that was pretty well struck. I end up getting him to fly out to left on a split that stayed up a bit more than I’d like, but he got out in front and hit it off the end.

Blalock starts the second inning by chasing one of the better splits I threw in the game for strike three. Good curve ball chase to start the AB. Back to back splits to end it. Wilkerson takes a fastball on the corner for strike one, fouls off a ball away for strike two and then chases a fastball for out number two. Laird takes a first pitch curve that I thought was a strike, for a ball, close pitch but Fielding doesn’t think it caught plate. 1-0 slider for a strike puts us even. I then think I can get a ground ball off a good split but instead leave the ball way too high and he hits it to left for a hard single. Two outs and Kinsler up. I am by no means an expert on good hitters, and what it takes to be a good hitter. I know some fundamental stuff but I think this kid is a real good player. He seems very much like Michael Young to me in that he doesn’t get cheated and he squares up a lot of balls, regardless of velocity, that catch a lot of plate. There can be a lot worse people to be compared to than Michael Young. I also read an interview he did talking about how he prepares to face pitchers and he stated that he doesn’t really study pitchers. I found that pretty interesting given that I know Catalanotto is a serious preparation guy. I always like to know who does and who doesn’t study pitchers. Ian takes a fastball for strike one. I had a few different ideas for the 0-1 pitch and Tek catches me off guard with the call for a curve ball. In KC I was in a ‘see and throw’ mode, meaning I wasn’t doing the things Don Kalkstein and I have worked on to ensure that at the very least I am throwing the pitch with conviction, mentally and physically. I throw what I think is a real good curve and he gets out on his front foot and flies out to end the inning.

Third inning starts off as bad as it can. I can’t locate my fastball and end up walking Kenny to start the inning. We’d just gotten two more on David’s second home run and there can be no worse momentum killer, and giver, than a lead off walk. I thought the 3-2 pitch was strike three. Tek was setup outside for a fastball and I misfired it to what I thought was the inside corner, Fielding thought differently and in the end his opinion is the only one that matters. Frank takes 4 pitches and the count goes 2-2. I misfire and catch too much plate with a fastball but he flies out to left. Huge break there. I end up getting out of the inning by again misfiring another fastball that Michael hits into the left center field gap. I can see Coco as the balls going up and there is no question in my mind he’s catching the ball. I then notice Lofton rounding second and think “Holy crap, we might get two”, which is exactly what happens. Lugo grabs the relay and gets it to Youk to end the inning. We are up 3-1 at this point but the first three I’ve made way harder than I know I should.

Texeira leads off the fourth taking a first pitch back door slider for a ball. We follow that up with another backdoor slider that I somehow manage to throw completely across the plate, down and in, instead of down and away, and he is out and front and pulls it foul. I know I am not keeping my head or my front side ‘in’ as I let go of this pitch, and we get away with it. 1-1 change up that I think was a good one, fouled off and the count goes to 1-2. He lays off a split and then hits the next split pretty hard, into the shift for the first out. Sammy goes to 1-2 and I throw a ‘splider’ (which is what I call my split when it doesn’t drop, but instead cuts hard from right to left. I also have a ‘splinker’, which is the reverse of the ‘splider. If I could master either of them I’d throw them 90 times a game), he tips the ball and Tek hangs on for strike three. Hank chases a good split to start the AB, fouls off a fastball and takes two more fastballs that are both bad pitches to run the count 2-2. He fouls off a good split, and then he does what he does so well. There are hitters in the big leagues who are able to “keep the bat in the zone” longer than others. Hank can do that. I throw him a 2-2 split that is a good one, it dives down and to the outer half but he stays back and drags the barrel through and whacks it sharply to center. Wilkerson fouls off 3 fastballs, takes 2 and hits a 2-2 sinker to shortstop that Julio steps on second to end the inning.

I definitely feel the command is now better, which is huge from a confidence standpoint. Knowing I can throw my fastball to either corner changes everything about my approach and thought process. Funny thing is, or not so funny depending on your vantage point, that it can come and go in a pitch.

3-1 game heading into the fifth and Laird is leading off. This is the first game I’ve ever faced him so the game plan was derived from scouting reports and watching him face other righties from ’06 and early this year. A 7 pitch AB sees me completely missing my location 3-2 and actually getting in on him for a fly ball to right. The big pitch for me was missing so badly 2-2 with a fastball. I throw Kinsler a first pitch slider for a strike. Miss in with a good fastball, get a strike on a fastball away and then hang the crap out of a 1-2 split which I never see. I never see it because I am an idiot. I am trying to throw it so hard I pull off with my head and my front side, but he absolutely crushes the ball and fortunately for us Mike doesn’t break any bones catching the line drive for the second out. Kenny comes up a third time and pops out on a first pitch change up. The exact reason I wanted to start using the change was this. Being able to get guys sitting first pitch fastball to make contact, and outs, on a first pitch change. I can’t explain the huge lift a first pitch out can be to a pitcher. It’s huge in any situation but even bigger when it leads off or ends an inning.

I spoke at length in spring training about ‘pitching to contact’ and I am not sure some people understand what that means. Maybe it means different things to different guys but to me it means getting hitters to hit the ball in counts I used to try for the swing and miss. That’s first pitch and behind in the count breaking balls. For years my ‘breaking ball’ was the split for the most part. The split is a pitch I have never, ever, tried to throw for a strike. It gets swung at because it spends ¾ of the time ‘in’ the strike zone, and when thrown right, is a ball when it reaches the plate. I’ve always thrown a very high percentage of strikes but I would bet that a very large portion of those strikes are balls, made strikes by contact or swings and misses. It goes back to a philosophy I tried hard to learn and pitch by which is this. The key to pitching is being able to throw a ball when they are swinging, and a strike when they are taking. The key to that is being able to know when those two will happen. That’s what made the 3-2 walk to Shealy so wrong in KC. I knew he was taking, I knew I could beat him with a fastball, yet I still forced myself to throw a split, a pitch I know I am not throwing for a strike. You never stop learning, you never stop making mistakes, but I think the key to getting better as you get older is making the same mistakes less.

I’m at 79 pitches after 5. If I want any chance of completing this game I need to get quick outs in the 7th and 8th. That goes right down the crapper as Frank leads off the sixth with a 10 pitch at bat. I guide, overthrow or misfire 3 fastballs to go 3-0. Not sure I can be any more pissed at this point but I need to get it going or I’m going to walk the leadoff hitter, who happens to be hitting in front of the meat of this lineup. We stay almost exclusively with fastballs away and he fouls off five straight. One is a foul pop that I am hoping blows back but doesn’t and ends up just out of reach. He tips one that Tek almost hangs on to. He ends the AB by flying out on a fastball down and in that I was trying to throw away Young takes a slider for strike one and then pops the next pitch up to second for out number two. Mark takes a fastball for strike one, fouls off a good 0-1 curveball and then hits a split into the shift for out number three. Two outs on 5 pitches and I still manage a 15 pitch inning.

Vincente had settled down and thrown up zeroes since the third and it’s still a 2 run game. If the tying run is coming up it needs to be via a hit. Rarely will teams put three hits in a row together, but throwing a walk in the mix means you can bloop or chink a run out of one or two singles. I’m at 94 pitches heading into the 7th, which means I need to not only get three outs and not give up any runs, but I need to be efficient. Sammy starts the inning off by getting jammed with a two seam fastball and flying out to left. Pitching to contact is a beautiful thing when it works. Blalock takes a first pitch slider for a ball, then hits a hard ground ball on a 1-0 split for out number two. Wilkerson takes a strike, then two balls, all fastballs, then fouls off the 2-1 pitch that caught a whole lot more plate than it was supposed to. After another foul ball I pretty much empty the tank on the last pitch getting him swinging at a middle down fastball to end the inning.

The bullpen rights the ship before it’s too late and Paps does his thing to close it out.

This much I know. The next five days will be a hell of a lot easier to head to the park than the last five were. When you have to sit on an outing as bad as the one in KC for five days it eats at you. I’d love to tell you I just shrug it off and move on but I don’t. They certainly don’t eat at me like they did when I was 28, but they still linger until you get a good one and a win under your belt. You get your work in, you cheer like hell for your team to beat the everliving crap out of whoever you are playing, but for me there’s still that “Damn I was so bad” moment that happens 2-300 times a day in between a rancid outing and your next start. To combat that we’ve got an awesome group of coaches here this year. John Farrell is a guy that puts in overtime to be good at what he does. You know he’s been watching tape, studying you when you aren’t around and when he comes to you, you know he’s got something that matters to tell you. Don Kalkstein, our “performance coach” is aces too. Even though I absolutely crush him on a daily basis about being the same guy for the Dallas Mavericks (since I am a Suns fan), he busts his butt to do whatever he can, whenever he can. He was instrumental in this game tonight for me, helping me with some things to keep myself mentally on track and where I need to be, regardless of the situation during the game.

The other huge factor in the last five days being bearable are the teammates. We’ve got a phenomenal group of guys on this team. Twenty five guys who all accept their roles and are professionals. Guys like Erik Hinske, Alex Cora, all of them, who approach every day and every game like you hope they do. They prepare, they are ready and they are good people. You can’t sit around dwelling on a bad game or moping around with the “Woe is me” because first off it looks like crap. Spending 5 days moping around basically says I sucked and I feel bad, regardless of how the team is doing. You do that and you send a clear message to your teammates that I don’t think anyone wants to send. You spend more time with your teammates than you do your real family during the baseball season. Being in a clubhouse with a group of players that care about themselves above all else turns the season into a nightmare grind. We don’t have that here. We’ve still got a ways to go to really gel, but it’s coming. There isn’t an ego or personality here that doesn’t fit. We’ve got a group of guys that care about each other and pull for each other, regardless of how they are doing and that is the difference, in addition to talent obviously, in a world championship team and everyone else. I’m sure there are a lot of clubhouses in baseball that feel the same way, but I know in this market, in this city, if you don’t have that close cohesive clubhouse you are fighting an un-winnable uphill battle.

So our trip ends at 3-3. We are on the plane back to Boston, where we will land around 4:30am and spend an off day at home. Something none of us have done for about 8 weeks now. Not to mention none of us got to wake our kids up for Easter. I certainly don’t want that to appear like a whine, even though it is, because there are thousands of men and women sleeping in the deserts of the middle east now, who have not been able to wake their kids up for months on end and are in a lot worse situations than we are. Just sucks to not be able to spend the holidays with the family, no matter how much money you make or what kind of life you lead.

Seattle comes in for the home opener, then we have Anaheim for four leading up to Patriots day and a stinking 10am start. Will definitely be the earliest game I’ve ever been a part of. Looking forward to kicking off another year of sell outs and hearing the Fenway faithful do their thing. Fenway in the summer is unlike any sports environment I’ve ever been a part of and something I am truly thankful to have been able to experience before the end of my career.

http://38pitches.com/2007/04/09/3-3-and-headed-home-4907-vs-texas/

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 08:24 AM
They really didn't. I've seen him pitch about every game he's pitched in the majors, and that is the most dominant I have ever seen him. That's the most zip I have ever seen on his fastball. Now let's see if he can maintain that for the entire season. If he pitches like this all year and has an ERA like last year, we're talking Cy Young at the end of the season...

Yeah, he had hellish stuff last night. I've seen most of the times he's pitched too. I remember watching his first start two years ago. I was excited after that. He had gas....homegrown gas...something we hadn't seen in awhile. I thought he would be starting for us, but man...he's just as valuable as a 20 win starter(Which I think he could be) if he pitches like that in key situations. Someone has to bail Pineiro out of loosing games for us....

Jay
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM

IL: Pawtucket (Abe Alvarez) @ Durham (Mitch Talbot) [7:00pm]
EL: Portland (Clay Buchholz) vs. New Britain (TBD) [6:00pm]
CL: Lancaster (Mike Rozier) vs. Lake Elsinore (Wade LeBlanc) [9:30pm]
SAL: Greenville (Jordan Craft vs. Columbus (Heath Rollins) [7:05pm]

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Home Opener tomorrow....I'm pumped.

luckyjackaubrey
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Paps looked possessed last night. I love "the Glare" and the flaring nostrils !!!

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the glare is great lol.

Jay
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Red Sox get reliever
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff

According to a league source, the Red Sox claimed pitcher J.D. Durbin from the Arizona Diamondbacks this afternoon.

Durbin, 24, was among the Minnesota Twins' final cuts during spring training.

In the Diamondbacks' battle with the Colorado Rockies last week, Durbin pitched two-thirds of an inning, giving up seven earned runs on seven hits.

With the pickup, the Red Sox may have to make one or two roster moves when they are also expected to activate pitcher Mike Timlin off the disabled list

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/04/red_sox_claim_r.html

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Interesting about Timlin.

Jay
04-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Rotoworld's take:

Red Sox claimed RHP J.D. Durbin off waivers from the Diamondbacks.

Durbin has to go on the 25-man roster when he reports, but that's probably a very short-term solution. The Red Sox, like the Diamondbacks before him, are claiming him in the hopes of getting him through waivers and stashing him in Triple-A.

Makes way more sense now...

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
To be completely honest, I've never heard of the kid. Anyone got any info?

Jay
04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Baseball America top 100 prospect 2005:

70. J.D. DURBIN, rhp, Twins Scouting Report
"He could go to the bullpen right now and throw fastball-breaking ball and pitch in the big leagues, but I believe the Twins want him to develop into a starter, and to do that he's going to have to learn to slow the ball down a little."
--Grand Canyon coach Jose Marzan

Jay
04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBN_DIAMONDBACKS_ROSTER_AZOL-?SITE=AZMES&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-03-31-22-17-41

Hammock, Durbin make Diamondbacks' opening day roster

By ANDREW BAGNATO
AP Sports Writer
Advertisement

PHOENIX (AP) -- J.D. Durbin always wanted to be an Arizona Diamondback.

Robby Hammock wanted to be a Diamondback again.

Both had their wishes granted Saturday as manager Bob Melvin named his opening day roster.

Durbin, a 25-year-old right-hander from Scottsdale, will join the team's eight-man bullpen after being picked up from Minnesota on waivers last week.

Hammock, who spent parts of two seasons with the club before being released two years ago, made the team as a utility man. Hammock thought his career might be over after shoulder surgery in 2005, but now he'll open the season with the team that drafted him in 1998.

"It's pretty emotional for me," said Hammock, a 29-year-old Georgian. "Sitting at home two years ago, I could only hope this would happen."

Melvin will open the season with 12 pitchers, one of whom is likely to be demoted when Micah Owings is activated for his scheduled start at Washington Friday night.

With Carlos Quentin opening the season on the disabled list, the Diamondbacks will carry only three full-time outfielders - Eric Byrnes, Chris Young and Scott Hairston. But Melvin has three players who can fill in as needed.

Hammock is in that group. He came up as a catcher, but he can play on the corners in the infield and in the outfield. His versatility was a big plus in Melvin's eyes.

Hammock had a solid debut season with Arizona's "Baby Backs" in 2003, hitting .282 with eight homers and 28 RBIs in 65 games. But knee and shoulder injuries sidelined him for much of the next year, and the club released him before the 2005 season.

Hammock returned to the organization on a minor league contract late in 2005, and last season he batted .290 with 20 homers and 65 RBIs at Triple-A Tucson.

"It's even more difficult to climb your way all the way back that second time," Melvin said. "I tip my hat to him, how he persevered and kept his nose to the grindstone. He continually worked hard and worked through all his injuries, and now he's back in the big leagues."

Melvin knew Hammock's story. But he needed a scouting report on Durbin, claimed off waivers by the Diamondbacks from Minnesota last week.

"Obviously don't know much about Durbin," he said. "Power arm. The organization likes him a lot."

Durbin was Minnesota's second-round pick in 2000, but he has struggled because of arm problems in recent years. He had a 12.38 ERA this spring.

Because Durbin is out of options, the Diamondbacks could have lost him if they sent him to the minors. But Melvin said Durbin wasn't being asked to audition.

"If we didn't think he could pitch at the big league level, we wouldn't have claimed him," Melvin said.

Durbin has appeared in four major league games with an 0-1 record and a 7.36 ERA.

Durbin, a 2000 graduate of Coronado High School, was the 2000 Arizona High School Player of the Year. He said playing for his hometown team is "a dream come true."

"Going through high school, I always wanted to play for the Diamondbacks," Durbin said.

Durbin pitched for Minnesota's Triple-A Rochester affiliate last season. He went on the disabled list July 5 with right biceps tendinitis and didn't pitch again.

Durbin said he rested his arm during the offseason and has pitched without pain this spring.

"I feel great right now," he said. "I think it's finally healed itself."

Jay
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Durham 5, Pawtuckett 0

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_09_pawaaa_dubaaa_1

Highlights:

Chadd Spann, 3B: 1-3... the only hit of the game for the Pawsox.
Abe Alverez, P: 5IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
Craig Hansen, P: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1K, O ER

Jay
04-09-2007, 09:40 PM
New Britain 8, Portland 6

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_09_nbraax_prtaax_1

Highlights:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 4-6, 3 doubles, 1 R, 1 RBI
Jed Lowrie, SS: 2-4, triple, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Jed Lowrie was a first round sandwich pick in 2005, I believe this was his AA debut. Clay Buchholz start got pushed back...

Jay
04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Greenville is currently up 6-5 in the 8th right now. Lars Anderson is 2-4 with a run and a RBI and Jason Place is 1-2 with 2 walks. Hopefully they can hold on and give Gabe Kapler his first win as a manager...

Jay
04-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow, and former million dollar draft pick Mike Rozier is getting lit up for Lancaster. It's the top of the second and he's already given up 7 runs. San Diego prospect Matt Antonelli had a three run HR in the first...

For those who didn't know, the Sox paid Rozier big bucks out of HS because he was going to UNC to be their QB and otherwise wouldn't sign. It was considered to be a big signing at the time, but he has been horrible...

ElectricEye
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Well, he's only 21, right? Who knows. Maybe he can turn it around. He seems like a Kyle Snyder clone from what I've read of him though. And yeah, I remember that. I couldn't believe we signed him when we did...but still, he hasn't pitched well to this point.

Jay
04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
He's going into his fourth year, so he'll have to turn it around fast. The fact that he is still in A ball doesn't speak well for him. At least Beau Vaughn did OK for Portland tonight... he's another kid that was supposed to be good from around that draft...

Jay
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Lancaster had tied it at 7 in the bottom of the 4th, but they gave up three the next inning. 10-7 right now in the top of the seventh. I really don't like this California leage already. Every game looks like a football score, and it is not all because of the talent. Bubba Bell with two more RBI's... bringing him to 17 in five games. That's kind of ridiculous...

Jay
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Lancaster 11, Lake Elsinore 10

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_09_lesafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Lancaster comes back from a 7-1 deficit to win 11-10. Bubba Bell tied it at 10 in the 8th with an RBI ground out and Ignacio Suarez hit a bases loaded single to center to win it in the 9th.

Bubba Bell, CF: 1-4, double, 1 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB (18 RBI's in 5 games)
Jay Johnson, LF: 3-5, 3 R, 2 doubles, 1 RBI

Jay
04-10-2007, 08:58 AM
JoseJose The acclaimed teenager from the Dominican Republic assumed his stance in the batter’s box yesterday at the aged Municipal Stadium in Pompano Beach, Fla., where the Texas Rangers once conducted spring training. Nearby stood Ismael Cruz, the Mets’ director of international scouting.

The player, José José, a 16-year-old outfielder, has drawn the interest of a number of baseball’s big-money teams.

The Mets were among the first teams to have a private workout with José. On Monday he drove one ball over the wall in right-center field and hit an assortment of line drives. But he also had his share of foul balls and routine grounders.

José was meeting some of his fellow prospects for the first time at the Playball Baseball Academy, where Fred Ferreira, a baseball scout, operates his Win International agency.

“He’s a very interesting kid,” Cruz said after watching José field, throw, run and hit over an hour and half period. “He’s got a good bat.”

Ferreira is making plans to have other teams see José. Seattle and Anaheim are on the list, as are the Yankees. The Red Sox may be ready to sign him now. They are the only team that visited José’s native San Pedro de Macoris in the Dominican Republic to see him work out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/sports/baseball/13base.html?_r=2&ref=baseball&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, we got Oscar Tejada recently. That was big. Is this kid considered better than him?

Jay
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
No idea. The Red Sox have signed quite a few kids out of the Dominican lately...

luckyjackaubrey
04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I can't wait for the " Just Jose Jose being Jose Jose " antics to begin....

Bard got racked earlier this week.
I like the Durbin kid. Makes Snyder to the rotation an Tavarez to the door that much more plausible. I'd really love to see that Helton trade. You can make a pretty easy argument that outside of Papi , Manny and JD we are not the offensive juggernaut of years past.

Jay
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Youkalis has been doing his job. Pedroia hits the ball hard every time up. Even Lowell is making good contact. The problem has very clearly been the 7-8-9-1 parts of the order, with Varitek, Crisp and Lugo really killing us, and Pedroia being stuck at nine and left out to dry.

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Tek can't hit anymore. But I'll never say anything bad about the man. He's the god damned captain. And he's still the best at calling a game in the bigs. He can make a hell of a pitching coach(hopefully for us lol) one day. Crisp has lost it. I haven't given up on him yet, he could still be the guy we thought he was....but he just needs to swing the bat with more confidence. Lugo will be fine...he's just off to a slow start.
I really don't want Helton. If we could get him for cheap, maybe. But still, I like Youk at first and Lowell at 3rd. And I wouldn't give up Kevin for him at this point.

Jay
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
You know, Mike Piazza really skewed the way people look at catchers. If Tek can give us .240 with 10 HR's and about 50 RBI's and his normal, gold glove defense at catcher and impeccable play calling, that should be all Sox fans ask for.

If he was held to today's standards, Tony Pena would have never made it past AAA, and he's one of the best catchers to ever play the game defensively...

Jay
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Our three top pitching prospects all pitch today:

Today's Games (All Time's Eastern)

IL: Pawtucket (Kason Gabbard) @ Durham (Jason Hammel) [7:05pm]
EL: Portland (Clay Buchholz) vs. New Britain (Jesse Floyd) [6:05pm]
CL: Lancaster (Michael Bowden vs. Lake Elsinore (Manny Ayala) [9:30pm]
SAL: Greenville (Jon Lester) vs. Columbus (Wade Townsend) [7:05pm]

Don Vito
04-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Those introductions were ridiculous. Took about 20 minutes.

P-L
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
You know, Mike Piazza really skewed the way people look at catchers. If Tek can give us .240 with 10 HR's and about 50 RBI's and his normal, gold glove defense at catcher and impeccable play calling, that should be all Sox fans ask for.

If he was held to today's standards, Tony Pena would have never made it past AAA, and he's one of the best catchers to ever play the game defensively...
Sadly, I think too many Sox fans want what the Yankees have. We don't need an all-star at every position that will hit .280 with 25+ HR and 80 RBI minimum. Varitek is still one of the better all-around catchers in the game, even if he doesn't hit like he once did. Like someone said, no one calls a better game and gets more out of a pitching staff than Tek does. He brings so much to the team that you can't see on a stat sheet. I'm getting sick of hearing some Sox fans ***** and complain about Varitek, Pedroia, and Crisp. If you have a very good 1-6 in your lineup, you don't need much else. Especially considering you have the best 3/4 combo in all of baseball. We have a top 5 (most likely top 3) offense in all of baseball. I'm completely satisfied with that.

On another note, is it too early to tell J.D. Drew's critics "I told you so?"

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Sadly, I think too many Sox fans want what the Yankees have. We don't need an all-star at every position that will hit .280 with 25+ HR and 80 RBI minimum. Varitek is still one of the better all-around catchers in the game, even if he doesn't hit like he once did. Like someone said, no one calls a better game and gets more out of a pitching staff than Tek does. He brings so much to the team that you can't see on a stat sheet. I'm getting sick of hearing some Sox fans ***** and complain about Varitek, Pedroia, and Crisp. If you have a very good 1-6 in your lineup, you don't need much else. Especially considering you have the best 3/4 combo in all of baseball. We have a top 5 (most likely top 3) offense in all of baseball. I'm completely satisfied with that.

On another note, is it too early to tell J.D. Drew's critics "I told you so?"

Quoted for the truth. Even though I was bitching about us signing JD Drew. Still, I've been wrong in a big way thus far.
Anyway, we're kicking the crap out of Seattle. We really hit well today. And Beckett is on. He looks as good as I've seen him. Like I said in the Spring Training thread, his control is better than it was at any point last year. He's mixing pitches well, and blowing his fastball by people with 2 strikes on them. If he keeps pitching this way, he's going to be in the Cy Young race.

Jay
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
What a game. Watched it at my favorite bar in Worcester, same one I watched and celebrated game four of the 2004 World Series at. Ah, memories.

JD Drew has been worth every penny. And Beckett, wow. He finally "gets it."

Brendan Donnelly became a Fenway favorite today, too. I love it how he got a standing ovation when he left haha. Our bullpen could be very good... once we get rid of Timlin. Sad to say...

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
What a game. Watched it at my favorite bar in Worcester, same one I watched and celebrated game four of the 2004 World Series at. Ah, memories.

JD Drew has been worth every penny. And Beckett, wow. He finally "gets it."

Brendan Donnelly became a Fenway favorite today, too. I love it how he got a standing ovation when he left haha. Our bullpen could be very good... once we get rid of Timlin. Sad to say...

Yeah, Brendan Donnelly started his Fenway career of the right way lol. Great stuff there.
And why get rid of Timlin? Who else would be use as the setup man? I don't think we'll be seeing him after this year, but right now, I think he's the best guy we have for that job.

Jay
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I found my own answer on the Guillen/Donnelly thing:

Guillen was traded to the Washington Nationals that winter, and when the Angels and Nationals played the next season, Washington manager Frank Robinson asked umpires to check Angels pitcher Brendan Donnelly's glove for pine tar -- reportedly on a tip from Guillen. Donnelly was ejected, Robinson and Scioscia got into a heated discussion, the benches emptied, and Guillen hit a game-tying, eighth-inning homer in a Nationals victory.

Forgot all about that...

And Mike Timlin has lost it. I don't think he has anything left in the tank. Ever since the end of last season, I have had absolutely ZERO confidence in him. Even in his rehab appearances he couldn't keep runs off the board. I think he'll be gone by midseason...

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
It will be sad if he goes....and theres a major hole if we don't have a guy who we can hand the ball too and not have to worry about.

Jay
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not too worried right now. Okajima has looked solid, Donnelly has been great. Javier Lopez should not have been sent down. Pienero is a question mark. Tavarez will end up back in the bullpen. We've got a plethora of arms. Devern Hansack can come up from Pawtuckett...

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Wish we had kept Cla Meridith..

Jay
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't ever want to hear anyone in Boston, especially the media, complain about the Merrideth/Bard trade. They couldn't run those guys out of town fast enough, and now they are going to sit and ***** because they are doing well. Hindsight is a *****, ain't it boys? But that is the problem with Boston... and New York. No patience. That's why Chauncey Billups is a star in Detroit and not Boston.

And I was on the ship out Josh Bard bandwagon. Not Merrideth, I thought he was fine, but Bard had to go, and it was the best thing that could have happened for him, because there's no way he would have developed like that in Boston sitting four out of every five games...

Jay
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Pawtucket 2, Durham 1

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_10_pawaaa_dubaaa_1

Highlights:

Kason Gabbard, P: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (W, 2-0)
David Murphy, CF: 2-4, 1 RBI

Jay
04-10-2007, 09:52 PM
New Britain 3, Portland 1

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_10_nbraax_prtaax_1

Highlights:

Clay Buchholz, P: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2K (L, 0-1)
Bryce Cox, P: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't ever want to hear anyone in Boston, especially the media, complain about the Merrideth/Bard trade. They couldn't run those guys out of town fast enough, and now they are going to sit and ***** because they are doing well. Hindsight is a *****, ain't it boys? But that is the problem with Boston... and New York. No patience. That's why Chauncey Billups is a star in Detroit and not Boston.

And I was on the ship out Josh Bard bandwagon. Not Merrideth, I thought he was fine, but Bard had to go, and it was the best thing that could have happened for him, because there's no way he would have developed like that in Boston sitting four out of every five games...
Bard needed to go. He was horrible for us. But Merideth we should have hung onto too. That was a mistake.

P-L
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Meredith would be nice to have, but like Jay said, hindsight is 20/20. Meredith wasn't a great prospect at the time we traded him. We rushed him up to the majors in 2005 and in the three games he pitched he was absolutely rocked. Before last season, Baseball America ranked him as our 20th best prospect. I was all for the trade at the time. Bard couldn't catch a knuckle ball if his life depended on it and he wasn't that much better offensively than Mirabelli was. We needed Doug back, and I had no problem with the trade. Looking at it now it's frustrating to see Meredith have success with San Diego, but that's life. He was just one of those guys that slipped through the cracks.

Jay
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Greenville 3, Columbus 0

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_10_clmafx_capafx_1

Highlights:

Jonathan Lester, P: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5K
Travis Beazley, P: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4K (W, 1-0)
Jonathan Still, DH: 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 HR, 2 R, 1 BB
Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-1, 2 BB
Jason Place, CF: 0-3, 2 K

Jay
04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
And in Lancaster, Michael Bowden was cruising through the first four unscathed, but just gave up two runs in the top of the fifth. So far 5IP, those two ER and 5/2 K/BB... 2-2 in the bottom of the 5th...

ElectricEye
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Eh, true. It's still disappointing...
And theres no way his ERA would have held up in the AL East.

Jay
04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Lancaster 3, Lake Elsnore 2 (12 innings)

Box Score:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_10_lesafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Michael Bowden, P: 5 IP, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
Zach Daegas, 1B: 2-5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 BB
Jay Johnson, LF: 1-5, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB
Bubba Bell, CF: 0-5

Lancaster Bottom 12th

* Pitcher Change: Steve Delabar replaces Brandon Higelin.
* Zachary Daeges singles on a line drive to left fielder Mike Baxter.
* Scott White called out on strikes.
* Christopher Turner grounds out, second baseman Matt Antonelli to first baseman Kyle Blanks. Zachary Daeges to 2nd.
* Steve Delabar intentionally walks Ryan Khoury.
* Salvador Paniagua reaches on fielding error by shortstop Matt Bush. Zachary Daeges scores. Ryan Khoury to 2nd.

Jay
04-11-2007, 03:04 PM
IL: Pawtucket (Devern Hansack) @ Durham (J. P. Howell) [1:05pm]
EL: Portland (Andrew Dobies) vs. New Britain (Nick Blackburn) [6:05pm]
CL: Lancaster (Daniel Bard) vs. Lake Elsinore (Matt Buschmann) [9:30pm]
SAL: Greenville (Chris Jones) vs. Columbus (Woods Fines) [7:05pm]

Jay
04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Pawtuckett 5, Durham 3

Box Score:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_11_pawaaa_dubaaa_1

Highlights:

Devern Hansack, P: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K
Manny Delcarmen, P: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (W, 1-0)

Jay
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Picked a great game to go to tonight!! Cold-as-fuuuuuuuugggg!! I've never heard Fenway chear so loud when JD Drew got the only hit of the night. Tonight we learned why they call the kid King Felix. Dice-K was solid, overall. Can't complain too much...

Jay
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Portland 8, New Britain 5

Box Score:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_11_nbraax_prtaax_1

Highlights:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 2-5, DOUBLE, 1 RBI

Jay
04-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Columbus 5, Greenville 2

Box Score:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_11_clmafx_capafx_1

Highlights:

Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-4, 2K

Jay
04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Damn, Daniel Bard got lit up again... well... this isn't pretty:

1.2 IP, 2 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 6 BB, 1 K

ElectricEye
04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Picked a great game to go to tonight!! Cold-as-fuuuuuuuugggg!! I've never heard Fenway chear so loud when JD Drew got the only hit of the night. Tonight we learned why they call the kid King Felix. Dice-K was solid, overall. Can't complain too much...

King Felix is probably the next truly great pitcher. It's early, but the kid has Hall of Fame talent. Daisuke did his thing, but Felix showed why he's a Cy Young candidate at 21. I really like him. Hope he doesn't get Mark Prior syndrome.

Jay
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
The Red Sox are scheduled to honor the late Red Auerbach today, wearing green jerseys and caps. The Celtics’ 16 world championship banners will be hung from the Green Monster. Bill Russell will throw out the first pitch while Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers, Tommy Heinsohn, Robert Parrish, Jo Jo White, Frank Ramsey and Paul Pierce will participate in the pre-game ceremony.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/NEWS/704120804/1118/SPORTS08

I hope it doesn't get rained/snowed out. The article also says this is Seattle's only trip to Boston and they already have three other games to make up with Cleveland, where THEY also don't go again, so they are going to do everything possible to play today...

Jay
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM

IL: Pawtucket (David Pauley) @ Durham (Jeff Niemann) [7:05pm]
EL: Portland (Matt Goodson) @ Binghamton (Salvador Aguilar) [6:35pm]
CL: Lancaster (Kris Johnson) @ Inland Empire (Marlon Arias) [10:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (Dustin Richardson) vs. Columbus (Ryan Morse) [7:05pm]

Portland will probably get rained out...

ElectricEye
04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/NEWS/704120804/1118/SPORTS08

I hope it doesn't get rained/snowed out. The article also says this is Seattle's only trip to Boston and they already have three other games to make up with Cleveland, where THEY also don't go again, so they are going to do everything possible to play today...
That's going to be great...RIP Red.

Jay
04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Lancaster 9, Lake Elsiner 6

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_11_lesafa_lncafa_1

Highlights:

Aaron Bates, 1B: 3-4, 2 doubles, 1HR, 2 RBI, 3 R
Mark Wagner, C: 1-3, 1 R, 2 RBI
Luis Soto, RF: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI

Jay
04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
They just announced that JD Drew is out of today's lineup, and Coco is hitting in the two spot. Go figure. I don't blame them it's going to be a nasty game...

P-L
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
What's going on with Drew? He's the only guy that's actually hitting for us early in the season.

ElectricEye
04-12-2007, 12:15 PM
They just announced that JD Drew is out of today's lineup, and Coco is hitting in the two spot. Go figure. I don't blame them it's going to be a nasty game...

Yeah. It's a bad day out. Best to keep Drew out of wet days. He's a slip away from another injury.

ElectricEye
04-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Damned Mariners. They're bad luck.

Jay
04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Today the Red Sox signed Carlos Almanzar and Lincoln Holdzkom according to Baseball America. Both are 25.

ElectricEye
04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
What's going on with Drew? He's the only guy that's actually hitting for us early in the season.

Seems like it. Ortiz and Manny are warm weather guys though. In order for our lineup to work, they need to be hitting. But Drew has been great thus far.

P-L
04-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Seems like it. Ortiz and Manny are warm weather guys though. In order for our lineup to work, they need to be hitting. But Drew has been great thus far.
I'm not worried about Papi and Manny. Their hitting will come. A lot of people forget, but Manny was hitting .259 with 0 HR 16 games into the 2006 season. He finished with .321 and 35 HR.

Jay
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Portland 10, Binghampton 7

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_12_prtaax_binaax_1

Highlights:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 3-6, 3 R, 1 SB, 1 BB, 1 double, 1 k
Jeff Corselleti, LF: 4-7, 3 RBI

Jay
04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Durham 3, Pawtucket 2

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_12_pawaaa_dubaaa_1

Highlights:

Chad Spann, 3B: 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 double, 2 K
David Pauley, P: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Craig Hansen, P: 2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K (L, 0-1)

Hansen also pitched to three batters in the ninth without recording an out and losing the game.

BOTTOM OF NINTH

# Justin Ruggiano walks.
# With Jorge Velandia batting, Justin Ruggiano steals (2) 2nd base, . Justin Ruggiano advances to 3rd, on throwing error by catcher George Kottaras.
# Jorge Velandia walks.
# Coaching visit to mound.
# Elliot Johnson singles on a ground ball to center fielder David Murphy. Justin Ruggiano scores. Jorge Velandia to 2nd

Jay
04-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Columbus 6, Greenville 0

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_12_clmafx_capafx_1

Highlights:

Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-4
Reid Engel, RF: 2-3
Dustin Richardson, SP: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 R, O BB, 10 K

Richardson was great and only gave up a HR to Ryan Royster

Jay
04-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Inland Empire 4, Lancaster 3

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_12_lncafa_inlafa_1

Highlights:

Jay Johnson, LF: 2-4, 2 RBI

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Angels tonight at 7:05. Wakefield and Lackey. Should be a pretty good game.

Jay
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I haven't said it today, so let me put it out there: Coco Crisp ******* blows.

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I haven't said it today, so let me put it out there: Coco Crisp ******* blows.

Quoted for the truth. All hype, no results. He's going to be run out of town this year.
Anyway...why the hell can't we score runs for Wake?

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Doug Mirabelli ties it up!

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Wake out of a jam. Another inning...then Papelbon time.

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Dustin Pedroia showing off the glove. This will be interesting, to seeing if Donnelly can get outs in this type of situation.
EDIT:Papelbon time.
EDIT2:Jonathan motherf*cking Papelbon.

Jay
04-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Greenville 3, Rome 2

Box:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_13_romafx_capafx_1

Highlights:

Lars Anderson, DH: 3-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R, 1 double
Josh Papelbon, CL: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K (S, 2)

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Lars Anderson is beastly.
And two Papelbons come up big for the Sox. I know Josh isn't as talented as his brother...but I pull for the kid. It would be great to see him as his brothers setup man one day :) Unlikely...but that would be really cool.

Jay
04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Lars Anderson:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/live/user_photo/lg_allmetro_8867.jpg

http://www.greenvilledrive.com/images/header.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/random/lars.jpg

And Jason Place with Gabe Kapler:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/random/placekap.jpg

ElectricEye
04-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Weird as hell to see Kap as a manager. Hope he does well. He's the type that can. I'm so making a Lars Anderson sig soon.
Anyway...on the topic of the Red Sox, I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this guy, but he cracks me up.
http://townienews.blogspot.com/
Very funny Red Sox/New England orientated humor.

Jay
04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Lancaster 7, Inland Empire 5

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_13_lncafa_inlafa_1

Highlights:

Aaron Bates, 1B: 1-3, 1 HR, 1 R, 1 RBI, 3 BB
Bubba Bell, CF: 3-6, double, 1 R, 2 RBI

Jay
04-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Portland was rained out...

Scranton 6, Pawtucket 2

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_13_swbaaa_pawaaa_1

Bryan Corey, RP: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K

ElectricEye
04-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Dude, Bubba Bell is slugging . 860. Man. He's not going to be in Lancaster for much longer if he keeps this up, which I not sure he can.

Jay
04-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Scranton W/B 5, Pawtucket 1

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_14_swbaaa_pawaaa_1

Highlights:

None. Abe Alverez needs to be traded for some spare parts.

Jay
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Game 1:

Binghampton 3, Portland 1 (7 innings)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_14_prtaax_binaax_1

Highlights:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 1-4, double
Bryce Cox: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 K (picked off base runner)

Jay
04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Game 2:

Portland 5, Binghampton 1

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_14_prtaax_binaax_2

Highlights:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, SB
Andrew Pinckney, 3B: 2-3, 1 R, 2 RBI, double
Charlie Zink, P: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

Jay
04-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Jonathan Still, C from Greenville had been 1-1 with an RBI triple in the first before the game was suspended for rain today. Lars Anderson walked and scored in his AB...

And they are just underway for Lancaster, and Mike Rozier has already given up three runs in the first inning...

ElectricEye
04-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Great outing by Big Schill today. He's looked great the past two starts.

Don Vito
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
JD Drew is my hero.

ElectricEye
04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
JD Drew is my hero.

Hope we're still saying that at the end of the season.

Don Vito
04-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Haha I know its early but he still has been a nice suprise.

ElectricEye
04-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah, he's been an awesome fit thus far. Still miss Trot though. JD is clearly a better player...he's what we hoped Nixon would be when he was coming up in the minors....but still, Trot was one of my favorite players.

Jay
04-15-2007, 08:07 AM
I think it kind of sucked that Francona pitch hit for Drew in the 8th when he had the chance to go up there and extend his hitting streak. But I guess that's just the mentality this team is taking, team over self. Schilling's latest blog seems to say as much in regard to him pitching the complete game shutout:

4/14/07 vs. Los Angeles
Apr 14th, 2007 by Curt Schilling

Felix Hernandez is good. Wow. I remember watching Dwight Gooden when he first came into the big leagues and this kid has better stuff. He throws harder and has 4 pitches. Doc had that HOF curveball to go with his fastball but Felix was throwing a 91-93 mph slider, late breaking too, an 80 mph power curve ball and a much better change up than I remember hearing about. All that to go with a fastball that was touching 100mph on different occasions. What he did was flat out dominate a pretty good offensive team from the first pitch. He looks like he has a great pitchers body too, tall and filling out. Pretty amazing outing from anyone much less a 20 year old ‘kid’.

There are times when you watch opposing players and you can almost feel sorry for them. Our opener was one of those times. The Mariners had been sitting for 5 days, through travel and snow outs and I have no idea when the last time Jeff Weaver threw a competitive pitch before that game. Obviously glad we beat them and it was nice to see the offense hitting its stride. Were it not for Felix’s gem the following night we’d be on a pretty good run of games through today.

Warming up for this one I can say no one pitch felt good. I thought my split had good bite but I knew I wasn’t sharp with the other pitches. Fastball wise the command felt ok but the velocity felt average at best.

Nothing jump starts a game better than the lead off hitter making an out on the first pitch. Orlando hit a 1-0 fastball to left for out #2. Started Vlad off with a fastball in, for strike one, and followed that up with one farther in for ball two. Proceeded to throw the two best splits of the day (up until Mathews AB in the 8th) on the next two pitches and he chased both for the third out.

Garret led off the second by hitting a cutter in to first for the first out. Shea took strike one and then topped an 0-1 split to third for the second out. Kotchman, who I haven’t really seen yet, hit a curve ball that stayed up to short to end the inning.

Our pre-game plan was pretty accurate to this point. A VERY aggressive lineup, top to bottom, that will swing all through the count. Through 2 innings I had like 14 pitches. Carrasco started sharp and made some big pitches. Julio had him bases loaded and a 3-1 count and just missed squaring a ball up to end the second.

Kendrick starts the third by hitting a horribly thrown 2 strike fastball to left. Trying to run it way inside and instead left it middle and he hit it to left. Mike Lowell then proceeds to make the first of what will be many web gems this year. Molina crushes a line drive that Mike literally catches behind him for the first out. I think I fell behind Izturis before getting him to hit a FB away to left for the 2nd out. Mathews flies out early in the AB on a curve ball, to right, to end the inning. Still not a lot of pitches after three.
Erik drives a pitch to deep left center for a triple to start the inning. Carrasco literally pitches his way out of the inning but ‘Teks line drive is knuckling all the way to center field and it gets dropped for a 2 run error. Huge to get those runs right there the way it happened. He’d almost pitched himself out of back to back big jams in two innings.

Orlando jumps on a hanging split and Manny makes a fantastic play to hold him to a single. Vlad pops up a first pitch split to right. Garret, I think, hits another first pitch split to Erik at first and Orlando gets to second. Shea flies out to right on a 1-0 split for the final out. Another low pitch inning. We have a lead and I am thinking that this might be a chance to get to the finish line if I can keep locating early in the count.

We grab another run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the inning as Carrasco hits his pitch limit and the Angels bullpen takes over. I’ve never seen the Bootcheck kid throw but it doesn’t surprise me that they have another power arm to put in that pen.

Kotchman leads off the 5th by grounding a back door slider to 2B for the first out. Both Abs he’s centered breaking stuff up pretty well. I remember him coming to the big leagues and everyone was talking about his eye and how little he struck out. He has a nice approach and seems to be good enough to wait on a pitch he wants and not miss it. Key to guys like that is having them hit from behind in the count as early and often as possible. Kendrick hits a split to center, not down nearly enough and he looks like he absolutely crushes balls in the lower half of the zone that are on the plate. He’s strong for sure. Molina punches out on a fastball way down and off the outer half of the plate. Izturis lines a ball to right center that Coco runs down nicely to end the inning. I thought it was an out off the bat, then I turned and thought it was a hit when I saw Coco, then I see how fast he’s closing the gap and realize it’s an out. Ball was knuckling a little bit as well.

With one out Orlando hits a double down the left field line, and I have no idea how. First off OCab was one of the funner guys I have ever played with. I competed against him when he was in Montreal, when he first came up. He’s always been a very aggressive good bad ball hitter and one of the better shortstops in the game over the last 15-20 years. When he came here it was nice to see that he’s a great a guy in the clubhouse and off the field as he is on.
The pitch he hit was no more than 4” off the ground and moving down hard. He dragged his bathead through the zone and smoked it into the corner. It’s a 3-0 game at this point and I have an out in hand. I need to make sure that regardless of where Cabrera is after this next AB there are two outs. I get lucky as Vlad again goes after the first pitch and hits a 2 seam fastball to Mike down the line at third.

During the pre-game I had spoken at length with Luis Alicea who is handling our infield positioning and we talked about a few specific guys and our defensive alignment for them. I had wanted to switch some things around and he had the defense in perfect position every time those hitters came into play today. That’s the stuff that you enjoy, when you see the preparation lead to actual outs. No one can see it, and no one usually knows it but 2-3 guys. Garrett ends the inning by flying out on a first pitch change up.

We get more breathing room as the offense makes it 5-0 in the bottom half of the inning. For me, when you go from a 3 to a 4 run lead, it’s huge. Everything after that is gravy but from 3 to 4 is a huge swing for me as a starting pitcher.

I start the seventh off feeling like I am missing something. I fall behind Kotchman and end up getting a pop up on a FB we couldn’t have put in a better spot. With 2 outs I commit a cardinal sin and walk Kendrick. I thought ball 4 was a strike but Tim Timmons didn’t, and once again he wins….

I thought Tim had a tough game today. He wasn’t as sharp as he usually is but the great thing about good umpires is they’ll let you know, be it through the catcher or in some other way, that they might have missed certain pitches. I thought there were a few he missed and I could tell from our hitters they felt the same way. The hard part is understanding that regardless of the fact these are major league umpires, who for the most part are the best in the world at what they do, they miss pitches and they make mistakes. The only thing that bothers players more than a bad umpire is an umpire who blatantly misses one, or screws up, and refuses to admit it, instead getting pissed and making something into a confrontation that shouldn’t be. The good ones almost ALWAYS will make a point to let you know they missed one. So Kendrick walks and then Molina drags out a 10 pitch at bat. It ends with a swing at a fastball in for a swing and a miss, but in the inning, even though no harm was done, I’ve lost my shot at finishing this game. We don’t have an extra off day this time around and I know Tito is not going to send me out in the 9th with over a hundred pitches and a 5 run lead. Add to that the fact that there are quite a few guys that need an inning down in the bullpen.

5 years ago I couldn’t fathom that line of thinking. Up until I came to Boston the complete game was about as important a stat as there was to me as a starting pitcher. I figured that within the complete games all the other numbers would take care of themselves. Johnny Podres preached that mentality to me as a young pitcher and it’s something I have always thought the better pitchers strove for. Things are different now. Me getting a complete game shutout would have been great, it’s been a looooong time since I’ve done that, but in the end I’d have been going out in the 9th to satisfy a personal goal that really has nothing to do with us winning it all. I need to be healthy in October, and as fresh as I can be.

Izturis flies out to center to lead off the 8th. I get Gary to two strikes and throw as good a split as I can throw to end the AB. Orlando hits a fastball away off the end of the bat to right that JD tracks down to end the inning.

I can tell you there are two stadiums in the game that I’ve seen it happen. The fans in NY and Boston are always very in tune with the starting pitchers and pitch counts. Walking off the mound as the home guy with those fans on their feet is a rush you just can’t understand. At the core of reasons for doing what we do, beyond the love of the game and all the other stuff, are those moments that you find yourself in that you know people that haven’t experienced it just won’t get it. April 14th in Fenway and 35,000+ people are on their feet, and LOUD. It’s a rush, an incredible rush. I know it will absolutely be one of the things I’ll miss when I am done but man it’s pretty frickin’ unreal to experience.

No idea what the next two days will bring both schedule and weather wise, but it’s not looking to good. I still can’t believe we’re actually playing a game that starts at 10am, but we are. This has to be the ONLY city on the planet that sells out its ballpark for a pre-noon game start. Unreal.

Looking forward to seeing Josh head back out there. I said in spring training that this was truly going to be his coming out year and I don’t doubt that for a second. He’s matured immensely as a pitcher in a relatively short time, and it’s going to be fun to watch.

I’ll grab some questions over the next few days and post them.

ElectricEye
04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, Schills old, and Drew is an injury waiting to happen...so the healthier we can keep them, the better. Anyway, crap day out. Nor'easter on the way. No Sox today :(

Jay
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Pawtucket and Portland got washed out today...

Greenville 9, Rome 7

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_14_romafx_capafx_1

Highlights:

Lars Anderson, 1B: 2-3, 2 R, 2 BB
Jonathan Still, C: 2-4, 2 RBI, 2 R, triple, 1 BB
Jason Place, CF: 1-2, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 sac fly
Josh Papelbon, CL: 1 IP, 1 H, O ER, O BB, 1 K (S, 3)

Jay
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Inland Empire 1, Lancaster 0 (12 INNINGS)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_15_lncafa_inlafa_1

Highlights:

Michael Bowden, P: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Zach Daegas, DH: 3-5, 2 doubles

Michael Bowden pitching an outstanding game today. The whole pitching staff on both sides did for that matter. Miguel Pinango pitched 6 innings and allowed just three hits, no walks and 9 k's for Inland Empire.

Jay
04-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Hell of a game today pitched by Josh Beckett. 3-0, 1.50 ERA. Outstanding!

Jay
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Scranton W/B 5, Pawtucket 2

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_16_swbaaa_pawaaa_1

Alex Ochoa, LF: 3-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
David Murphy, CF: 2-4, double

Jay
04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Rome 3, Greenville 2 (13 innings)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_16_romafx_capafx_1

Manuel Arambarris, 3B: 4-6

ElectricEye
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Wily Mo Pena is a better player than Coco. Man, that dude just has power.

Jay
04-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Certainly not the Dice-man's fault tonight. If Julio Lugo snags that liner like he should have and turns the DP, Sox win that game 1-0...

Jay
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Pawtucket and Portland both rained out again...

Greenville 12, Savannah 5

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_17_capafx_savafx_1

Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-5, 3 RBI, 2 R, triple, 1 BB
Jonathan Still, DH: 2-6, 2 RBI, 1 R
Dustin Richardson, SP: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (W, 1-2)

ElectricEye
04-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Lars Anderson is still the man.
And yeah, if Lugo had got that ball, would have been a different game.

PACKmanN
04-17-2007, 11:36 PM
yo man that picther we face today (Jays) has some crazy pitchs. That 2 sceen fastball of his is just deadly. Luckly we won that game.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Another good Matsuzaka performance wasted. We've got to get him some run support. Wily Mo finally got a start and put up good numbers. Hopefully its a sign of things to come

ElectricEye
04-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Another good Matsuzaka performance wasted. We've got to get him some run support. Wily Mo finally got a start and put up good numbers. Hopefully its a sign of things to come

He has a really good chance to knock off Coco. Even though his range in center is next to nothing....Coco can't hit to save his life anymore. And Pena has been getting better. They both have the same amount of seasons with a batting average over .300, and Pena had a .349 OBP last year in comparison to Coco's .317.

Jay
04-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Pena still doesn't even have 10 AB's if I am not mistaken. Coco has about 40. They need to get Wily Mo in the lineup more.

04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
90% of Bluejays fans were crapping themselves sending Gustavo Chacin up against Daisuke Matsuzaka. Luckily when the game is close he pitches marvelous, and he shutdown the BoSox. :P

04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Pena still doesn't even have 10 AB's if I am not mistaken. Coco has about 40. They need to get Wily Mo in the lineup more.

He has exactly 10 and those 2 hits last night were his first of the year.

ElectricEye
04-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Agreed. His bat is valuable.

Jay
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
He has exactly 10 and those 2 hits last night were his first of the year.

It's hard to judge a guy who has ten at bats spaced out over two weeks. Notice what happened when he had some consistency, his bat came to life yesterday. If he could play every day, or at least more consistently, he'd be doing fine.

That said, at 2/10, he's still got a higher batting average than Coco Crisp haha...

ElectricEye
04-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Hah, true. And he could hit more homers than Coco with his eyes closed.

ElectricEye
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Lowell just homered. Our offense has looked terrible past couple days.
edit: Doug went yard. Doesn't hurt to have pop from a backup catcher.

Jay
04-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Pawtucket and Portland rained out... poor Portland, I think they have had more rainouts than games played this year...

Lancaster 6, Visalia 5

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_18_lncafa_visafa_1

Scott White, 3B: 3-5, 1 R, 1 double, 1 HR, 5 RBI
Zach Daegas, DH: 2-5, 2 R, 2 double

And because I forgot them the other night:

Lancaster 15, Visalia 12

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_17_lncafa_visafa_1

Daniel Bard, P: 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1ER, 5 BB, 1 K
Bubba Bell, CF: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K
Mark Wagner, C: 3-6, 3 R
Jay Johnson, LF: 3-6, 1 R, 1 double, 2 RBI

Jay
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Savannah 5, Greenville 4

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_04_18_capafx_savafx_1

Jason Place, CF: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K
Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-4, 1 RBI, 2 K

ElectricEye
04-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Good numbers from the minors. Bell flat out killing lately. Great to see Place homer twice. Hopefully he can turn a corner with that. As for Bard, the 5 walks aren't good, and you would like to see more strikeouts....but still, he got away from that with only 1 earned run.
Anyway...good game today. Tavarez did his job, and Cora clutched up. Good to see Papelbon get another save.

Jay
04-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Alex Cora is slowly stealing Dustin Pedroia's job. As much as I love Dustin, I can't justify having him out there right now with Alex playing the way he is...

04-19-2007, 10:27 PM
It is rather suprising to see two rather gifted offensive teams in such an offensive slump.

Hell I love pitchers duels better anyways.

ElectricEye
04-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Alex Cora is slowly stealing Dustin Pedroia's job. As much as I love Dustin, I can't justify having him out there right now with Alex playing the way he is...

I don't think that's a good idea. You put Cora in as an ever day player, and he reverts back to hitting .240. But Cora is the man off the bench.
Anyway...Yankees tomorrow.

Jay
04-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Maybe, but Pedroia isn't even that so far so maybe that's an upgrade hahaha...

We clearly have the match up advantage in this series, so we'll see if we can capitalize and slow down ARod's bat...

Im_a_Romosexual
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
its 4/20 and the yanks are gonna get smoked! Go Sox!

ElectricEye
04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
its 4/20 and the yanks are gonna get smoked! Go Sox!

Quoted for the god damned truth.
Not a mega Sox/Yanks series, but I want to see us win bad after what happened last year. Schilling, Beckett, and Daisuke pitching. We should take at least 2/3.

ElectricEye
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
The Captain delivers. Really good to see Tek swing the bat well. Hopefully that will be the start of something for him.

Don Vito
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Who'd have thought with the way this season has started that Varitek and Coco would come up huge. I am starting to really like Okajima as well.

ElectricEye
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Jay's already started an Okajima fan club. I'm making a signature for him.

Jay
04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.myspace.com/hidekiokajimafc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Vito
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Back to back to back to back jacks!

Don Vito
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh and also damnn you Derek Jeter!

ElectricEye
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Papelbon time guys.

ElectricEye
04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Sit the f*ck down Jeter.

Bigburt63
04-22-2007, 11:02 PM
that was an awesome game. i was literally laughing histerically after tek hit the 4th homer

ElectricEye
04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Papelbon gives us all a Papelboner again. Awesome game. You would like to see us hold the Yanks to a few less runs with Daisuke on the hill, but still, can't complain about a sweep.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Papelbon time guys.

ya mean game over

ElectricEye
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
He's mo money in the bank, and more lights out than Merriman.

luckyjackaubrey
04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
It is very early in the year, but how great was that weekend ? We have to put some big space between us and the Bombers while they are running these kids out there instead of Mussina et al.

Great to see our rotation starting so strong. Beckett 4-0 is huge, he is the key. You know Curt is giving you 16 wins and Dice-K will have better #'s than any other team's #3, but Beckett is the swing vote. Does he put it all together and put up #1 numbers or dissapoint and give you #3-4 totals ? So far he has been great and it was good to see him get a win despite giving up a chunk of runs.

The character building they did in this series will be huge as we go forward. Now just get me Lester in place of Tavarez and keep Ellsbury on fire in Portland and I may just keep the blood pressure under control this summer.

luckyjackaubrey
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Poor Wily Mo is SO overmatched by any type of crooked pitch.... How did Theo get taken on him easily ?

Jay
04-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Josh Beckett is now 5-0.

He is also only the third player in the 100+ year history of the Boston Red Sox to win five games in the month of April. The other two? Babe Ruth and Pedro Martinez...

ElectricEye
04-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Wily Mo Pena delivers.
And Josh Beckett is still the man.

04-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Early candidate for Cy Young award...

luckyjackaubrey
04-28-2007, 06:40 AM
I yust luvit h-when de sox a-beat up on de New Jork Jankees !!!

Jay
05-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Clay Buchholz took a perfect game into the seventh last night in Portland and ended up giving up 1 hit in 7 IP, striking out 9, walking none. He's given up one run in his last three starts (17 2/3 IP) with 25 K's and 2 BB's. Wow. Now I know why he was linked to trade rumors for Rich Harden yesterday...

That said, no chance in hell I want to see him get traded. Another kid I want to keep.

Michael Bowden is on fire at A ball too. He pitched 6 innings yesterday striking out 9 and walking none. He's got a 37/7 K/BB ratio.

Exciting stuff.

ElectricEye
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow. But for Rich Harden? I might consider it. But Oakland pitchers usually don't do as well once they leave. Well, Mark Mulder didn't. Reminds me a bit to much of that whole debacle.
Anyway...Okajima is a beast. He pitches every night.

Jay
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm all set. No way. This kid is going to be a #2 at worst.

Here is an interview I found:

For the second installment of Twelve Questions with Top Prospects, we were lucky enough to chat with top Red Sox pitching prospect Clay Buchholz. Thanks a ton
to Clay for answering our questions! Here are his responses to the questions from the
SoxProspects Community.

1. Clay, thanks for answering our questions! Coming out of Angelina JC, one scouting report credited your athleticism as one of the reasons you could be taken in the 1st round as a pitcher or in the top 5 rounds as a hitter. Now that you're strictly a pitcher, we don't get as much of a chance to see you display your athleticism in conventional terms. Can you talk a little about your athleticism and how you think being such a good athlete has allowed you to improve as a pitcher?

Clay: The thing that helped me the most from converting is being able to actually think like a hitter. In some ways it could get you in trouble by trying to out-guess the hitter, but as far as I see it just gives me another advantage. Also, I think my athleticism shows up as a pitcher in my ability to change on the go, make adjustments quickly, and certainly in my ability to cover the bunt in both directions.

2. What kind of change up do you throw and what velocity range does it typically come in compared to your fastball?
Clay: For the most part I throw just a regular straight change, but I also throw a circle change. That is one of the pitches that I am working on trying to perfect. About the velocity, it usually has about 10-12 mph off of my fastball. So it sits around 78-82.

3. Is there a certain pitcher you model yourself after, or who you idolize, and why?

Clay: Well growing up I always loved watching Nolan Ryan pitch just because of the fact that he was so overpowering, from Texas, and fun to watch. But in the present I think I would have to say Roger Clemens for pretty much the same reason. I guess maybe it is somewhat natural for us Texans to challenge hitters and go right after people. At least that is how I was taught to pitch by my father.

4. Mike Hazen recently described your secondary pitches as "wipe-out", noting that working on your fastball command was your primary goal in 2006, and would be the key to your success and promotions. Has the organization expressed to you your goals for 2007? Is working on your fastball command still a top priority?

Clay: That is without doubt my main goal for spring training and during the season. In my own eyes I felt that I came a long way since the beginning of last season. I also found out pitching is a whole lot easier whenever the first pitch that you throw is a strike. If I have heard it once, I have heard it a thousand times from people close to me, the best pitch in baseball is strike one. And it never changes regardless of the level.

5. It's often been written and you've said yourself that you pitch better later in the game than early on. Your stats seem to support that as well -you strike out a lot more batters after the first inning. Are you thinking about making any changes to your pre-game routine to get yourself ready to dominate right from the first batter?
Clay: It is really weird why it happens that way. My concentration level in the 5th and 6th inning is no different than the 1st. So in the same sense I'm ready to dominate the first pitch I throw. I just throw a little bit harder later in the game. I've always been this way, be it in high school, college, or as I proved in high A last year during the playoffs when the game gets later and closer I tend to throw harder. The front office, mainly Jason and those that drafted me know this as they saw it a couple of times.

6. We've heard that draftees' first years in the organization go without a lot of major changes from the coaching staff and they don't start working a lot on tuning up players' games until their second year. How much did the coaching staff work with you when you first went to Lowell and how does that compare with the work they did with you in Greenville and Wilmington?

Clay: Right when I got to Lowell Alicia told me that they were just going to let me throw. I mean if I was doing something wrong in a bullpen they wouldn't hesitate to let me know, but no major changes were addressed. Last year Kip helped me a lot with my delivery. The first thing out of his mouth everyday had something to do with perfecting my delivery. I soon found out once you have the same delivery every pitch then you throw strikes on a more consistent basis.

7. I am curious if there is anyone on the major league team (or coaching staff) that has gone or is going out of his way to help you - whether it be advice on your approach to setting up hitters, teaching you a new pitch, or anything else along those lines.

Clay: Well the biggest thing that I look back on is actually getting to hang out with a couple of the guys that were in the Big Leagues last year, and just watching how they act and how they handle that role. I truly believe I can pitch at the major league level but I learned being a big leaguer is about a lot more than just pitching.

8. What do you do during games you're not starting? How has that (charting pitches or whatever) helped your development? Any amusing anecdotes from your between-start games?

Clay: The schedule lays out as: Day after start Hitters Chart, Day 2 Dugout, Day 3 Bullpen/ Dugout, Day 4 Pitching Chart, and Day 5 Pitching. But to answer the question about the chart. It is one of the biggest aids in my routine. Especially if I am facing the same team the next day. It just lets you see if any hitter in the lineup has a hole in his swing, likes to bunt,aggressive, can run, or is a free swinger.

9. What is your pitching/training routine between starts? Has that changed as you've progressed through the system, and will you be doing anything different this year?

clay: It is a really simple routine. On the 3rd day after my start I throw a bullpen and that is really just about it. I also read up on hitters that I'm going to be facing my next start. I feel that the whole thing has worked pretty well so far. So I think I'm going to stick with the same thing this year.

10. What was your off-season like? What did you work on to try to improve yourself for this year? How did you stay in shape, and now that the off-season is over, how do you feel physically coming into camp?

Clay: First of all I lived in Dallas with a couple of other guys that also play ball, and we all worked out together. So we all had a little advice for each other. My main goal this off-season was to be in shape and have gained weight. I gained just about 12 lbs and I was in pretty good shape. I have lived in Dallas the last two off seasons and the clear focus was to get stronger and go to camp in great shape so I could show the front office I was committed to getting to the big leagues. The schedule I have been on has been very successful and I don't expect that to change. So I would say that the off-season was a success.

11. Have you developed a level of fame in your hometown as a possible future ace MLB pitcher? Do you consider yourself a private person who likes to stay out of the spotlight or do you think you would thrive on the attention that a typical Boston starting pitcher gets? What do you think of the obsessiveness of Red Sox fan websites in tracking both your baseball career and to some extent your private life?

Clay: I think there are a couple of people there that believe in me and have been behind me this whole time, but I don't know if it's to the "Fame" status just yet. I don't consider myself a private person, but I'm also not the type to want to steal the cameras away from everybody else. I think of it as if I do either good or bad I'm am going to take responsibility for my outing. Being in this organization for the last couple of years has really been more than I could have asked for. The fans are one of the biggest parts of the game. In saying that I don't mind at all about the stats or comments fans talk about. In fact I embrace "Red Sox Nation" and I look at is nothing but a positive for my development and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.

12. Please talk about your relationship with the other 2006 Greenville starters - Michael Bowden, Ryan Phillips, Mike Rozier and Chris Jones. What did you learn from them last year and what do you think they learned from you?

Clay: We are all really close, and it has been an awesome time coming up with the same group of guys. I would be lying if I said that I taught any of them anything, but I do think that we all found out that even if you have a bad start that there is always tomorrow. I look forward to all of us going to Fenway together and I truly hope that happens.

Bonus Question: Clay, we're all big fans of yours but some people still misspell your name. Have you been tagged with any nicknames by your friends or teammates that you prefer?

Clay: I have seen my name spelled so many different ways, but it's sort of funny. Most of the team and staff call me Buck. So I would say that name has stuck for the past couple of years. However, to my friends and family I am known as Clayboy, so to them I will always be Clayboy and to my teammates, just Buck.

ElectricEye
05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I read that off Sox Prospects a few weeks ago. I'm sold on the kid as well, but Harden is a big name. I would give the deal a hard look, but I probably wouldn't do it since we would probably have to give up more, and I wouldn't want to give up Clay either.
If he pitches like that, he'll be moving up soon.

Jay
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
The only thing Harden has done well so far in his career is get hurt. I'm all set.

ElectricEye
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, your right.
Anyway....Back to the young guys..
Ellsbury is batting .449 right now with 7 stolen bases. He sounds ready.

luckyjackaubrey
05-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Harden is damged goods. We are on track right now to be well armed for quite some time. Give Theo and his boys some credit. They have put together a top notch major league staff and now have a pipeline of talent to feed the big league roster with. I don't want to see too many more trades like in past years where we unload all these top kids for established talent.

There needs to be a good mix of young and old to keep the payroll in check. I hope we can build up on position players as well as we have the pitchers.