PDA

View Full Version : 2012 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 15: 49ers at Patriots

dan77733
12-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Since no one has posted this and its 22 hours away from kickoff, I figured what the hell, mine as well create a topic for this week's matchup.

While most expect the Patriots to win, I think that there's a good chance the 49ers upset the Patriots in Foxboro. Patriots offense has been outstanding but they arent invincible. 49ers defense will hold the Patriots offense to under 21 points while our offense will shock everyone with Randy Moss exploding for at least 2 td as he gets revenge on Belichick and the Patriots. Kaepernick rebounds with a solid 3 td performance (2 passing and 1 rushing) as he'll get his first 300 yard passing performance. While he'll get sacked a few times, no turnovers for Kaepernick or for the offense in general. Gore will go over 100 yards and outshine Ridley while James will break off a few big runs out of the backfield and on returns. Akers will rebound with two 40+ yard fgs and a easy chipshot that puts the game away late 4th quarter.

Defensively, no Gronkowski to worry about and as long as Rogers isnt covering Welker, the defense will hold them to under 21 points and intercept Brady twice in the game. Once early and one late to seal the game with kneeldowns. That's right, 49ers shock the world and all the Patriots fans who think that they're the best by beating them in their stadium by double digits.

49ers 30
Patriots 20

farfromforgotten
12-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I love the optimism, Dan, but I think Belichick will have a plan in place to confuse and contain Kaepernick. We need to win with defense and field position, IMO. Getting the lead early would help too, of course.

If Kaep struggles in the 1st half, I'm interested in seeing what kind of 2nd half adjustments Harbaugh will come up with.

I want to beat the Patriots so bad, but I see it being New England 24 San Francisco 17 when all is said and done. I expect Welker to be the annoying little **** he always is and to have a big game.

I feel dirty now. Time to go take a shower. Go niners!!!

dan77733
12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Everyone is thinking the same thing as you...us winning with the defense and field position. Since everyone is expecting that, im going with the opposite. :)

abaddon41_80
12-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Patriots defense has been playing much better as of late and the 49ers offense hasn't. I think the 49ers can slow down the Patriots offense but not enough.

27-17 Patriots.

Ness
12-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd like to have Alex Smith going into this game. I just have a feeling Kaepernick's inexperience will show and he'll throw three interceptions or something.

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Yea sadly I just don't feel us beating the Pats.Though I would love us too Kaep at Qb tonight is gonna hurt us in some way maybe not , hoping hes had enough time and will keep his cool and shine tonight.I also hope that Jim Leaves the Pistol formation set at home and DOES NOT USE IT!!If he does it is gonna hurt tonight. Just pound and pound the ball with Gore use a little PA and deep passes to Davis and its all good. I doubt Moss scores 2 td passes that is just me. He hasn't been an impact receiver for us this year and it blows but oh well. I hope to watch James and Jenkins . I hope they play well to stay on the team.

dan77733
12-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Patriots defense has been playing much better as of late and the 49ers offense hasn't. I think the 49ers can slow down the Patriots offense but not enough.

27-17 Patriots.

Patriots defense is playing better but their entire team isnt invincible. They can be beat and the 49ers are a tough physical team. I think that we definitely have a great chance to win.

I'd like to have Alex Smith going into this game. I just have a feeling Kaepernick's inexperience will show and he'll throw three interceptions or something.

WOW!!! After years of bashing Smith, you rather have him at QB now instead of Kaepernick. I'm shocked. Either way, Smith is done. Maiocco himself said that there's no way Smith will play again this season unless Kaepernick gets injured. He also said that Harbaugh and company are expecting Kaepernick to eventually have that "stinker" of a game but are hoping its within the next three games instead of the playoffs. The main thing is that Harbaugh is thinking ahead and long term. He's getting Kaepernick the experience he needs in order to get better. You cant get actual game experience by sitting on the bench and since the Kaepernick IS now our franchise QB, Harbaugh is going to ride it out with him, good or bad.

Yea sadly I just don't feel us beating the Pats.Though I would love us too Kaep at Qb tonight is gonna hurt us in some way maybe not , hoping hes had enough time and will keep his cool and shine tonight.I also hope that Jim Leaves the Pistol formation set at home and DOES NOT USE IT!!If he does it is gonna hurt tonight. Just pound and pound the ball with Gore use a little PA and deep passes to Davis and its all good. I doubt Moss scores 2 td passes that is just me. He hasn't been an impact receiver for us this year and it blows but oh well. I hope to watch James and Jenkins . I hope they play well to stay on the team.

I agree with you in regards to that Pistol formation as I hate it too. Reason I picked Moss to have a big game is because its time for him to breakout this season and no better time than tonight. Also, Manningham is OUT, Williams is on IR and after Crabtree and Moss, all we have is rookie WR A.J. Jenkins and Ginn. Ginn sucks as a receiver and im not expecting anything from Jenkins. I'm expecting a lot more for James because he's basically a Hunter clone.

Regardless of what happens, im pumped for tonight and next Sunday night. Two huge games for this team and no matter what happens this season, im excited for future seasons sonce we finally have a QB who can throw deep down field and make bigger plays with his arm and legs. :)

Sticking with my prediction -

49ers 30
Patriots 20

49ersfan_87
12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
We usually come out inspired when people doubt us and especially in prime time. We won't roll over unless we just turn it over.

Should be a good one and a potential SB preview.

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
As I said befores just leave the pistol formation back i Sf and we are all good. lets hope Kaep bad game isn't tonight or the rest of the season.

Ness
12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
WOW!!! After years of bashing Smith, you rather have him at QB now instead of Kaepernick. I'm shocked. Either way, Smith is done. Maiocco himself said that there's no way Smith will play again this season unless Kaepernick gets injured. He also said that Harbaugh and company are expecting Kaepernick to eventually have that "stinker" of a game but are hoping its within the next three games instead of the playoffs. The main thing is that Harbaugh is thinking ahead and long term. He's getting Kaepernick the experience he needs in order to get better. You cant get actual game experience by sitting on the bench and since the Kaepernick IS now our franchise QB, Harbaugh is going to ride it out with him, good or bad.

Kaepernick has just had two stinkers in a row LOL. Actually, he hasn't looked lights out since the game against the Bears when he was responsible for putting up the majority of the points. We'll see what happens tonight. If he plays well fantastic, if he doesn't I will say "I told you so".

We usually come out inspired when people doubt us and especially in prime time. We won't roll over unless we just turn it over.

Should be a good one and a potential SB preview.

San Francisco might not roll over, but they might not win the game either. That's what I'm afraid of.

Borat
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Let's do dis.

Ness
12-16-2012, 06:59 PM
We haven't played Brady for eight years. We'll see how it do.

Borat
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
We gon do wat we do.

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Awesome first half so far by the defense and the only thing keeping us in the game and the lead is the stellar defense . Also Kaep is having a great game.Some bad passing but miss passes other then the two miss snaps are also a killer.Gotta work on that next!!

dan77733
12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
17-3 49ers baby!!!

Should be more since we were screwed on the Walker fumble. Of course, possibly getting saved from Ginn's screwup, I guess it evens out.

Kaepernick playing better than expected with 2 tds. Just stay in the shotgun so him and Goodwin cant screwup the snap and we should be good.

Hopefully, we can have a long scoring drive to start the 3rd and put this game away. :)

farfromforgotten
12-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Going up by 3 scores would be so nice.

abaddon41_80
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
First half went a lot better than I expected, especially on defense

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
We just got another Fumble/INT!! Where was this defense against the Rams twice!

abaddon41_80
12-16-2012, 09:45 PM
The defense played great in the second game against the Rams, actually. Tonight they are playing fantastic.

Borat
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Whooopin Dat Azzzzzz

Brent
12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
me right now:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

abaddon41_80
12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Brent is black?

Borat
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Brent is black?

And also a TV star.

Menardo75
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ninerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ness
12-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes we're in the playoffs!

http://i.minus.com/ib0JuBugZbnx2k.gif

**** the Patriots and their trolling fanbase here. I'll be running my mouth all week.

Borat
12-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Well. It was enjoyable for a little while. Kinda got ruined pretty quickly though.

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 11:18 PM
it was a good game and the defense saved us today! But also in the 3rd they got cocky and slowed and we can't have that against Sea next week. We need to play lights out all game long and not slip up.

I'm stoked to have Ck as our QB He's gonna have a great career for us. His Int was his fault and shouldn't of throw it into coverage,however, still a good game by Kaep.His passes are lazer fast and can throw it deep any time,Just need more touches on his passes. he also needs to learn to read the defense a little more.

overall a great fun game to watch.I was a little nervous towards and almost crap my sefl but we pulled out the win.But where was this defense against the Rams ?

dan77733
12-16-2012, 11:19 PM
*wipes forehead*

Leading 31-3 with 9 minutes left in the third, we started playing zone coverage. I HATE ZONE coverage. It doesnt work. Offense isnt beating anyone or anything. The QB's only opponent is the air. Letting the Patriots come back to tie the game at 31 is sad and pathetic.

Man coverage caused the Patriots to turn the ball over 4 times and score only 3 points. I dont know why Fangio would change that. Like the saying goes, if it aint broken, dont fix it.

If we would have lost, I would have been flipping on Fangio, Harbaugh and the defense. Kaepernick with 4 tds, 1 int and 1 sack. His best game thus far. Should have been a massacre and instead it was only a 7 point win.

I'm extremely happy that we won and I have said it since last season ended, if we could score 30+ ppg, that with our defense, special teams and running game, we're nearly unbeatable. I say nearly unbeatable because it depends on the defensive playcalling.

To me, it's the playcalling on both sides of the ball, that pisses me off sometimes. I'm sure others here agree with that.

Other than that, only complaints were the three missnaps at the LOS, Akers and Ginn. I hate that guy. Every time Akers and Ginn are out there, I get scared that the worst is going to happen.

Anyway.....on to Seattle for the NFC West Division Championship. :)

Ness
12-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Really tired of facing these high octane offenses though. Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, etc. You can really see where the rules benefit them. Games literally aren't over until maybe the middle of the 4th quarter even if you have what seems like an insurmountable lead.

49erNation85
12-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Really tired of facing these high octane offenses though. Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, etc. You can really see where the rules benefit them. Games literally aren't over until maybe the middle of the 4th quarter even if you have what seems like an insurmountable lead.

Oh it will be another nail bitter next week in Seattle.The Hawks are becoming a high scoring offense in the making.We are gonna have to play lights out all game long again. Hopefully no rain in the forecast. It will be an amazing game next week I can't wait. I just hope we can contain Wilson and Lynch.

Agreed that Ginn needs to freaking lose his job.Almost giving up two fumbles. Put James back there by god.

Borat
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM

How crazy is it that they beat all 3 on the road.

phlysac
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I'll be running my mouth all week.

As compared to every other week? ;P

binary
12-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Whoa, that was a crapload of fun. I can't believe this kid just went into NE and threw 4 TDs...in his 5th freakin' start. So relieved right now, I can feel #6.

Ness
12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
As compared to every other week? ;P

Someone has got to fend of the east coast loons from the ridiculous assumptions here of the 49ers fanbase. I just have more leverage this week. Compared to last week it feels like night and day.

Ness
12-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Oh it will be another nail bitter next week in Seattle.The Hawks are becoming a high scoring offense in the making.We are gonna have to play lights out all game long again. Hopefully no rain in the forecast. It will be an amazing game next week I can't wait. I just hope we can contain Wilson and Lynch.

Agreed that Ginn needs to freaking lose his job.Almost giving up two fumbles. Put James back there by god.

Yes, it will be difficult. But there should be some less pressure now that the NFC West crown won't be next week, but in the last week of the season. The 49ers have the Cardinals at home. Should be a win at that point. Looks like the 49ers won't even get to rest their starters in the last week of the season assuming they beat the Seahawks anyways. Packers are right behind them in their quest for the #2 seed.

Menardo75
12-17-2012, 01:25 AM

James looked terrible and unnatural returning punts.

abaddon41_80
12-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Kaepernick played okay but this was definitely not better than the Bears game, I don't know why people would say it was, except for the prisoner-of-the-moment mentality. He had a few good throws but just as many that were pretty bad. The Patriots had a couple of dropped interceptions and he overthrew an open Vernon Davis for a touchdown multiple times. I am not sure who the dropped snaps were on but with four of them they is probably blame on both parties.

I am not yelling for Kaepernick's head or anything, because he played a lot better than I thought he would and because he played much better than he did in the last few games, but there was a much bad as good in his game last night, and that was against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. Joe Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and three touchdowns against that defense. James and Crabtree are the ones who came up big when it really mattered.

My problem with this offense under Kaepernick thus far is that it is feast or famine. On one drive they are unstoppable and an easy 'A+' but on the next they are a 'C' at best. It showed itself in this game. I don't think that style of offense lends itself to playoff victories.

The defense was disappointing, to say the least, from about 10 minutes left in the third until about five minutes left in the 4th. New England's no huddle looked like it finally wore them down and they just could not stop the Patriots momentum. For two-thirds of the game the defense was playing fantastic, maybe the best it has played over the last couple of years, but that 20-minute stretch was abysmal. The Patriots may have had some help with some questionable calls but there is no excuse for letting Danny Woodhead run on us like he was. Without the Patriots receivers dropping like five passes in that span they probably come back even faster.

Allowing 28 points, and scoring none, in under 20 minutes is incredibly worrisome. Still, I guess I can't complain. A win is a win, especially against a team that hasn't lost at home in December in like a decade.

ViperVisor
12-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Its great he did almost all his + stuff was with his arm in a game. Like CHI. And only 1 bad run backwards sack that was cause Staley got fooled.

But like you mentioned the - of the Slangin' style showed itself more than ever in the game.

binary
12-17-2012, 10:12 AM
A lot of not being able to capitalize on the turnovers was playcalling. I remember being 3rd and 5 or so inside the 20 and just running it. Just more Roman crap. Dude looks like a genius at times and is totally brainfarting others.

ViperVisor
12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
A mistake I didn't 2nd guess but 1st guessed is not calling a timeout with :45-1:00 before the half.

NE had 1 Timeout

It would of been VERY hard to get in position for a FG for them.

We waited to 28 sec. Run to make it 1st and Goal. 18 seconds left. 1 Timeout left.

We needed more time to be able to get another chance or 2 at a TD. If the run fails and it is 4th down. NE uses the last timeout they had.

Brent
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
A lot of not being able to capitalize on the turnovers was playcalling. I remember being 3rd and 5 or so inside the 20 and just running it. Just more Roman crap. Dude looks like a genius at times and is totally brainfarting others.
He seems to clam up and go conservative at the oddest times.

abaddon41_80
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Nothing wrong with getting conservative with a 28-point lead but I think he tried to open it back up once the Patriots pulled within 14, five of the next seven plays were pass plays. The problem was that those plays netted us -11 yards, -13 on a sack and -10 on a penalty.

dan77733
12-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Offensively, we were awesome and I didnt have any complaints except for the botched snaps but I blame Kaepernick/Goodwin 50/50 plus the rain had something to do with it to because I dont recall Kaepernick having problems under center in his previous games.

My main problem was the defense and Fangio switching from man to zone with 10 or so minutes left in the 3rd quarter. That pissed me off. Patriots scored 4 straight TD's on four possessions because of that switch. All the momentum that we had was gone in an instant. I dont know why Fangio would change what was not only working for the defense but dominating the Patriots offense.

Again, like I have said for a long time regardless of who the QB is, its the play calling that pisses me off the most because at times, it just doesnt make any sense and makes you shake your head in disbelief.

As for Kaepernick, to me, this was his best game easily. 4 tds, 1 int and 1 sack. Sack wasnt his fault as Staley got beat badly. Interception was all him but no biggie because Kaepernick's arm strength and athletic ability allow him to make up for it on any given play. The yards werent there but I care more about the points than the yards. Kaepernick was poised and calm the entire game and didnt get rattled at all. Granted, he overthrew a few passes but I rather have him overthrow passes so no one gets it instead of him underthrowing them.

Right now, it appears that we finally have a legitimate franchise QB who quite honestly has a lot of upside and potential because he can only get better.

If the play calling becomes smarter, we will be extremely hard to beat. Cant wait for next week's game in Seattle.

VAfy-ya
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Nothing wrong with getting conservative with a 28-point lead but I think he tried to open it back up once the Patriots pulled within 14, five of the next seven plays were pass plays. The problem was that those plays netted us -11 yards, -13 on a sack and -10 on a penalty.

There's absolutely something wrong with getting conservative when Tom freakin Brady and BB are on the other sideline and its almost 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Pats score in bunches and can turn it on in a milli second. Going soft on defense and simultaneously just trying burn clock on offense was the perfect storm of questionable coaching that gave that offense rhythm and allowed that game to be a lot closer than it shoultd have been. Honestly it should have been 50-3 with all the missed opportunities in the first half and the conservative approach right before half. I thought we learned our lesson last year in the playoffs against the Saints. High-powered offenses are just that....you never fall asleep at the wheel. Especially when your offense has shown itself to be inconsistent at best. You can get away with that conservative nature against the Mark Sanchez's and the Ryan Fitzpatrick's of the world. But when you have a elite QB, one of the best QB's to ever play the position on the other sideline, you take a page out of the Pete Carroll Coaching Handbook and your put your foot on their throat. There was way too much time to think that game was over. I certainly knew better.

As far as the offense, this is who JH is. I continue to preach it, he's a ball-control coach. We may start out aggressive, trying to get points on the board. But it won't last because JH believes in balance and so he will always come back to the run and try to eat some clock. That's where we run into problems becuase that allows for a few stops and momentum to change hands. Its extremely frustrating to watch when the passing game is on early but that's just who he is. And Roman is a by product of his philosophy. Especially on the road, JH plays it close to vest as much as possible. The difference is the running game. If the running game is mauling and dominating, the balance offense helps ten fold and we're picking up first down and the clock is moving. But when the running game isn't creating much yards, it puts us in a position where we're having to convert a lot of 3rd down and I our 3rd down offensive is very mediocre. And last night Wilfork and their front made it difficult to just grind out yards on the ground. And as much as I like LMJ's potential, we really missed Kendall Hunter, who is a more complete back at this point. When we're aggressive through the air, we are ahead of the chains, picking yards in chunks, and looking explosive. That's where the disconnect in offense stems from. When you have a coach as dedicated to the run as JH and tends to lean on ball-control over everything else, its hard to stick to being aggressive through the air, and more times than not, attacking through the air is usually where our good offensive output stems from....big gains in the passing game. Maybe some of that is the QB play. Alex lacked the tools to attack downfield consistently and CK lacks the experience to stay with it at the moment. But when I watched Luck with JH at Stanford, I saw the same thing so I'm more inclined to say its just his approach to coaching.

Menardo75
12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I think going to the prevent was more about trying not to run the defense to death staying in man coverage the whole game. I know they got worn down anyway, but I would guess that was the thinking.

Menardo75
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
There's absolutely something wrong with getting conservative when Tom freakin Brady and BB are on the other sideline and its almost 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Pats score in bunches and can turn it on in a milli second. Going soft on defense and simultaneously just trying burn clock on offense was the perfect storm of questionable coaching that gave that offense rhythm and allowed that game to be a lot closer than it shoultd have been. Honestly it should have been 50-3 with all the missed opportunities in the first half and the conservative approach right before half. I thought we learned our lesson last year in the playoffs against the Saints. High-powered offenses are just that....you never fall asleep at the wheel. Especially when your offense has shown itself to be inconsistent at best. You can get away with that conservative nature against the Mark Sanchez's and the Ryan Fitzpatrick's of the world. But when you have a elite QB, one of the best QB's to ever play the position on the other sideline, you take a page out of the Pete Carroll Coaching Handbook and your put your foot on their throat. There was way too much time to think that game was over. I certainly knew better.

As far as the offense, this is who JH is. I continue to preach it, he's a ball-control coach. We may start out aggressive, trying to get points on the board. But it won't last because JH believes in balance and so he will always come back to the run and try to eat some clock. That's where we run into problems becuase that allows for a few stops and momentum to change hands. Its extremely frustrating to watch when the passing game is on early but that's just who he is. And Roman is a by product of his philosophy. Especially on the road, JH plays it close to vest as much as possible. The difference is the running game. If the running game is mauling and dominating, the balance offense helps ten fold and we're picking up first down and the clock is moving. But when the running game isn't creating much yards, it puts us in a position where we're having to convert a lot of 3rd down and I our 3rd down offensive is very mediocre. And last night Wilfork and their front made it difficult to just grind out yards on the ground. And as much as I like LMJ's potential, we really missed Kendall Hunter, who is a more complete back at this point. When we're aggressive through the air, we are ahead of the chains, picking yards in chunks, and looking explosive. That's where the disconnect in offense stems from. When you have a coach as dedicated to the run as JH and tends to lean on ball-control over everything else, its hard to stick to being aggressive through the air, and more times than not, attacking through the air is usually where our good offensive output stems from....big gains in the passing game. Maybe some of that is the QB play. Alex lacked the tools to attack downfield consistently and CK lacks the experience to stay with it at the moment. But when I watched Luck with JH at Stanford, I saw the same thing so I'm more inclined to say its just his approach to coaching.

That is completely JH. He ran the same offense with Tavita Prichard, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. It just looks different because of the different skill sets but the philosophy won't change.

Ness
12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I think going to the prevent was more about trying not to run the defense to death staying in man coverage the whole game. I know they got worn down anyway, but I would guess that was the thinking.

Well I hope there was some "logic" to it. The 49ers defense looked gassed at the end of the game and apparently there wasn't even much celebrating in the locker room, just relief. The entire contest turned into a street game in the third quarter. I'm still ticked off at that flag against Terrell Brown on the deep middle. That was stupid.

That is completely JH. He ran the same offense with Tavita Prichard, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. It just looks different because of the different skill sets but the philosophy won't change.

Yes. I just pray to goodness gracious that Harbaugh isn't the next Marty Schottenheimer with that philosophy.

49ersfan_87
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Whoa, that was a crapload of fun. I can't believe this kid just went into NE and threw 4 TDs...in his 5th freakin' start. So relieved right now, I can feel #6.

We have a potential franchise QB who's playing well and still has a ton of potential, a top 5 HC, a lot of talent (obviously more on defense), and a really good GM.

Guys, this feels really good after 2003-2010. These are good times.

VAfy-ya
12-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes. I just pray to goodness gracious that Harbaugh isn't the next Marty Schottenheimer with that philosophy.

Its different from Marty Ball though. Marty had that philosophy regardless of personnel. If Jimbaugh didn't have the personnel to do what we do, I don't believe he would force it. When he first got to USD, they were a pass-first team because JH didn't have the players to excute his power-run philosophy. And the way he excutes it at the NFL level...the play design, the versatility of personnel and formations is anything but Marty Ball. Its still a work in progress getting this offense excatly the way he wants it. I like having the ability to run down the throat of most defenses and physically beat a opponent down in the trenches. Its one of the main reasons this team is successful. We just have to get the passing game to the point where when we dial it up, we have the personnel at all levels to make teams pay. No team is perfect everywhere so just like anybody else, we still have some tweaks to make to that part of the offense for us to be a much more balanced team.

binary
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
I think people are more afraid of this style because we aren't always gonna be ahead. It's a great style to play with the lead, but you can sense panic when things aren't going so well...lamichael james and crabtree pretty much saved us.

Also, Vernon should've laid out for that freakin catch.

phlysac
12-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't always hate being conservative. I hate being conservative for no reason. When you have an opponent by the throat you keep them that way. I hated the way the way the 1st half ended. You never know when 4 points are going to be necessary. There was no reason to approach that final minute without even attempting to score a TD.

Also, it seems that when all the team needs is to kill a chunk of clock, they run 3 quick-hitters up the gut and punt. It's been happening for a long time but last night was a great example.

Over a 4 drive stretch when the Patriots were coming back and eventually tied, the 49ers ran 10 plays. 4 drives and only 10 plays. Thank the football gods one of those plays was the Crabtree TD.

VAfy-ya
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
I think people are more afraid of this style because we aren't always gonna be ahead. It's a great style to play with the lead, but you can sense panic when things aren't going so well...lamichael james and crabtree pretty much saved us.

Also, Vernon should've laid out for that freakin catch.

You can tell by the way he looked up, he was trying to find the ball. I'm sure if he had located the ball earlier in its trajectory, he would have probably laid out.

But I still say CK put too much arch on it. It looked like a rainbow....that's why you see VD flip his head back straight back like he did to find the ball. Seems as if VD had enough seperation from the defender to put a little more torque on the throw, which would have allowed VD to merely look over his shoulder.

VAfy-ya
12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't always hate being conservative. I hate being conservative for no reason. When you have an opponent by the throat you keep them that way. I hated the way the way the 1st half ended. You never know when 4 points are going to be necessary. There was no reason to approach that final minute without even attempting to score a TD.

Also, it seems that when all the team needs is to kill a chunk of clock, they run 3 quick-hitters up the gut and punt. It's been happening for a long time but last night was a great example.

Over a 4 drive stretch when the Patriots were coming back and eventually tied, the 49ers ran 10 plays. 4 drives and only 10 plays. Thank the football gods one of those plays was the Crabtree TD.

Yup. The move before half really troubled me. That's what I mean about putting away elite offenses. You can't take moral victories, you have to score TDs there. Maybe the fumbled snaps had Roman and JH worried and a bit limited to what they could call down there. But you have to take at least one shot at the endzone there after 2nd down. You said it correctly, when we attempt to burn clock, the play design is very bland and ordinary. I don't know if that's because the more diverse looking stuff is looked at as more trickier and may allow for more errors. But when we're running regular offense, trying to put points on the board, the running game looks so diverse and the play design is something to behold. Again, another disconnect that affects how the offense stalls and doesn't flow throughout a entire game.

There's a difference between ball-control and being conservative. You can be aggressive while in ball-control mode, depending on play design and formation. But being conservative is a concerted effort to not **** up and hoping that the play works. That mentality will lose you more games than not against better teams so you have to crank it up a notch against better opposition, IMO.

On a side note, its going to be very tough to go deep in the playoffs depending on Brooks and Aldon primarily for our pass-rush. I hope they have a mind to give the open spot on the 53 to a pass-rush specialist type of player. I know they re-signed Bkahtari but he's strictly a ST player at this point, though he did see snaps late agaisnt the Pats as Aldon, Haggans, and Cowboy all were banged up at one point. But we could use a guy with some experience at getting to the QB. I know they worked out Ray Edwards a couple of weeks ago. Somebody along those lines would be beneficial for us to have in case of injury, during the playoffs. And with Cowboy and Aldon nursing injuries, better to be safe than sorry.

Ness
12-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I hope we target another OLB or another DL in the next draft regardless of what happens. We don't rotate a lot of our players and when we have to play streetball like that against teams like the Patriots, Green Bay, or New Orleans our guys might get tired...or maybe injured. We've been lucky that our superstars haven't suffered any lingering long term injuries. I have been high on Dobbs though, even though he's out for the season.

That reminds me, Justin Smith apparently has an elbow injury that isn't believed to be serious. I was optimistic when he came back out in full uniform and I think even went back in the game?

Ness
12-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Goldson gonna be rich. Pay dat black man. He ain't no cornball brotha.

http://i.minus.com/iO9QpV0pD06D.gif

Ness
12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Check out the tail end of the Week 15 discussion thread in the main football section. I ticked off some Patriot fan because I simply shared my opinion regarding Goldson's hit on Hernandez. Dis gon be gud.

HypocrisyIsGreat
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
People who talk to themselves, rofl

binary
12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Goldson and Whitner are human missiles. I used to think Goldson stunk, but dude has been an enforcer.

Dl and OLB definitely. The entire D feels like it needs Justin or else it loses too much.

Ness
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
People who talk to themselves, rofl

Damn you're gonna set the all time record for negative rep here. Sweet.

dan77733
12-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Draft wise, DE, another pass rushing OLB and a CB are my top three. NT would be fourth only because I think that we'll re-sign Jean-Francois and still have Ian Williams who I would like to see play NT to see how he does.

Borat
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Damn you're gonna set the all time record for negative rep here. Sweet.

Yeah, and I haven't even neg repped him ... yet.

Ness
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Goldson and Whitner are human missiles. I used to think Goldson stunk, but dude has been an enforcer.

http://nfl49ers.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/lumberco-header.jpg

Justone2
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I really don't think we will go OLB. With Haralson back. Dobbs who i think will be an OLB and both Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson drafted last year combined with Brooks and Smith i think we have enough for that position. D-line, CB, Safety and maybe even MLB(with Larry Grant possibly leaving) for the defense and on offense i think we could use a TE(to replace Walker) and you can never have too many receivers.

VAfy-ya
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I really don't think we will go OLB. With Haralson back. Dobbs who i think will be an OLB and both Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson drafted last year combined with Brooks and Smith i think we have enough for that position. D-line, CB, Safety and maybe even MLB(with Larry Grant possibly leaving) for the defense and on offense i think we could use a TE(to replace Walker) and you can never have too many receivers.

Fleming is coming off a ACL injury and Johnson is a 7th round pick who didn't even make the final roster. Still alot of questions there about those two and their ability moving forward. Haralson might be a cap casualty because we might need his 3 mil base salary to be spent elsewhere(hopefully to lockup Goldson long-term). Dobbs isn't moving to OLB. He's a D-Lineman(actually a TE if we're being technical) and that will continue to be his primary position. He sees snaps at OLB because of the lack of depth and its a numbers thing on gamedays, not because he's that good. OLB is easily the thinnest position on defense and it would not shock me to see us go pass-rusher as our first pick. But it also wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick one until the 4th or 5th round. That's the beauty of having a fairly deep roster with reasonable depth just about everywhere....you have options come draft time.

I'm probably in the minority but I would sit Justin Smith these last two games. We're already guaranteed to be in the playoffs. You have to be smart here and think big picture. I'm sure Cowboy would absolutely hate it because he wants to play but I have a lot of confidence in RJF. I don't think ppl realize just how good this guy is and how close he is from being a really good player for us. Nobody replaces Cowboy but I think the line can survive two games without him. Ice played some DE against the Pats and actually pushed the pocket pretty good. Between RJF, Sopoaga, and activating Ian Williams, we could survive without Cowboy for this two game stretch. Rather have Cowboy amped and ready for the post-season than to be nursing a injury heading into the playoffs. I doubt it happens though.

Borat
12-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't see OLB as a first round pick. That pick would be a part time role player for the next 3-4 years. Seems like a waste. Unfortunately, I still think WR will need to be addressed.

Justone2
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Fleming is coming off a ACL injury and Johnson is a 7th round pick who didn't even make the final roster. Still alot of questions there about those two and their ability moving forward. Haralson might be a cap casualty because we might need his 3 mil base salary to be spent elsewhere(hopefully to lockup Goldson long-term). Dobbs isn't moving to OLB. He's a D-Lineman(actually a TE if we're being technical) and that will continue to be his primary position. He sees snaps at OLB because of the lack of depth and its a numbers thing on gamedays, not because he's that good. OLB is easily the thinnest position on defense and it would not shock me to see us go pass-rusher as our first pick. But it also wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick one until the 4th or 5th round. That's the beauty of having a fairly deep roster with reasonable depth just about everywhere....you have options come draft time.

I think they see Dobbs as an TE/ pass rusher. So i dont think he ever will be a full time OLB but in the nickle on the outside and just like Smith last year he could see more snaps cause i dont believe he had much snaps at TE this year. Besides that i really don't think Haralson will be an cap casualty. I see them cutting Goodwin or Smith but i think Haralson will stay so we can give Brooks and Smith some more snaps off. But is he gets cut i think we will sign another OLB to fill that role so we dont have to rely on an Rookie.

I think D-line is the thinnest position on D with basically only Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga and RJF. Tukuafu is already 28 and besides some FB he hasn't played much and i think never will play much so i could see him leave and Ian Williams who hasn't been active all year.

VAfy-ya
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I think they see Dobbs as an TE/ pass rusher. So i dont think he ever will be a full time OLB but in the nickle on the outside and just like Smith last year he could see more snaps cause i dont believe he had much snaps at TE this year. Besides that i really don't think Haralson will be an cap casualty. I see them cutting Goodwin or Smith but i think Haralson will stay so we can give Brooks and Smith some more snaps off. But is he gets cut i think we will sign another OLB to fill that role so we dont have to rely on an Rookie.

I think D-line is the thinnest position on D with basically only Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga and RJF. Tukuafu is already 28 and besides some FB he hasn't played much and i think never will play much so i could see him leave and Ian Williams who hasn't been active all year.

I don't see how the D-Line is thinner. You have RJF who will be resigned as a quality back-up. Ice could be back at a reduce rate and even if he isn't, we have Ian Williams who is dirt cheap and a guy they've been grooming for 2 years. You have Dobbs who should return from his injury and be in line for a back-up role next year. All the snaps I've seen of Dobbs on the defensive end this year has been at DE. When we've subbed out either Aldon or Brooks I've only see Haggans inserted at that OLB spot. That tells me all I need to know in terms of where they view Dobbs as a situational pass-rusher and how thin we are at OLB if Haggans is the first guy off the bench. Then you have a rookie in Eddie who I really like at DE and a guy who I think could step right in and earn a roster spot next year if we do let Ice walk. When I say thin, I'm also talking about talent difference from the starters to the 2nd string, not just bodies. I'm much more comfortable with the talent of 2's behind the D-Line heading into next year than I am with the 2's behind Brooks and Aldon.

Ness
12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm just thinking about injury. Justin Smith is getting up there in age and like I said, we've been really fortunate with durability. The Houston Texans just drafted Whitney Mercilus who is just waiting in the wings behind Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed, and apparently has looked good when he's gotten on the field. I still think we need a receiver to help Crabtree who seems to be turning into a good target, but I'm just concerned about our defense.

VAfy-ya
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't see OLB as a first round pick. That pick would be a part time role player for the next 3-4 years. Seems like a waste. Unfortunately, I still think WR will need to be addressed.

Honestly, depends on Baalke's big board and what he covets. We had a first round pick this year who wasn't even activated on gamedays until week 14. I don't think ppl should get caught up in what role a first round pick will be used. We have a insanely deep team with very few holes. But we also have alot of talent that has to be resigned over these next few years so we need to augment that with some young talent in certain areas as a contingency plan. We won't be able to sign everybody. If Baalke feels like he has another Aldon Smith in his sights, I don't believe he thinks twice. He'll gladly pull the trigger in the first IF his value chart warranted it.

Justone2
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't see how the D-Line is thinner. You have RJF who will be resigned as a quality back-up. Ice could be back at a reduce rate and even if he isn't, we have Ian Williams who is dirt cheap and a guy they've been grooming for 2 years. You have Dobbs who should return from his injury and be in line for a back-up role next year. All the snaps I've seen of Dobbs on the defensive end this year has been at DE. When we've subbed out either Aldon or Brooks I've only see Haggans inserted at that OLB spot. That tells me all I need to know in terms of where they view Dobbs as a situational pass-rusher and how thin we are at OLB if Haggans is the first guy off the bench. Then you have a rookie in Eddie who I really like at DE and a guy who I think could step right in and earn a roster spot next year if we do let Ice walk. When I say thin, I'm also talking about talent difference from the starters to the 2nd string, not just bodies. I'm much more comfortable with the talent of 2's behind the D-Line heading into next year than I am with the 2's behind Brooks and Aldon.

Well i dont see Dobbs stepping in for either Smith or McDonald so he basically is only an DE/OLB in our nickle package where he will replace Smith or Brooks. Ian Williams hasn't been active all year i believe so i dont really think he is being trusted that much(can be because he doesn't have ST or offensive roles but i just don't think they will go with RJF and Ian Williams as NT. RJF seems better as DT(in place of McDonald or Smith and i don't really know Eddie so cant judge him.

On OLB we will have at least in my eyes Haralson who i very much trust as an number 2 more than RJF who i think will never become an full time starter. Offcourse at thise stage OLB is very weak but that more has to do with the current injuries where 2 of the 4 guys on IR are OLB's than with a lack of depth on the normal roster. Offcourse you never know how Haralson will come back and how fleming will fit in but while i can see that the position isn't the deepest i certainly think we have more need for and NT or DT or maybe even both.

However it will be i really don't think we need a guy that can step right in. Only exception can be safety when Goldson isn't resigned which i would really hate cause he is an important piece of the D.

And last but not least i think you can never have enough pass rushers and receiving targets since i could very well see Moss, Ginn and Walker leave after this year which leaves us with only Crabtree, Manningham and Davis as proven targets and Williams, Jenkins and Celek that still have to prove a lot. I would love to see us get a TE like Toilolo who could be amazing in the endzone and an speedy outside target since we now have an QB who could get the bal there.

VAfy-ya
12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm just thinking about injury. Justin Smith is getting up there in age and like I said, we've been really fortunate with durability. The Houston Texans just drafted Whitney Mercilus who is just waiting in the wings behind Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed, and apparently has looked good when he's gotten on the field. I still think we need a receiver to help Crabtree who seems to be turning into a good target, but I'm just concerned about our defense.

I think we need WR depth, not immediate help, heading into next year. Don't think Moss will be back. K-10's injured ACL puts him and us behind the 8-Ball in terms of depth. He was really having a solid year for a 4th WR on a team who doesn't use many 3 or 4 WR sets and subs out receivers as much as we do. But I have no issues with MM and Crabs as the starters and Jenkins as the 3rd WR heading into next season. But like I mentioned in my previous post, with Crabs and MM due for free agency after 2013 and 2014 respectively, we have to be proactive in finding young talent to bring into the fold in case those guys aren't in our plans once their contract is up.

dan77733
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Fleming is coming of an ACL injury and isnt guaranteed a roster spot in 2013 and neither is Johnson who instead of being moved up to the active roster is stuck on the practice squad while we re-signed Bakhtiari to be our fourth OLB. Dobbs is a DE, not an OLB (or TE for that matter) and Haralson is also coming off a season ending injury and considering his age and salary for 2013, he could be a salary cap casualty. Both Sopoaga and Jean-Francois are UFA's and always a possibility that we lose both. If that happens, then both NT and OLB are huge needs. Both are needs to begin with but could end up being huge needs. CB depends on what happens with Rogers, Brown and Brock. Safety isnt a need as long as we re-sign Goldson. ILB depends on what happens with Grant and Gooden. Offensively, I would say just a second TE to replace Walker who I would let leave because he's declined from last season and I wouldnt overpay him.

I'm probably in the minority but I would sit Justin Smith these last two games. We're already guaranteed to be in the playoffs. You have to be smart here and think big picture. I'm sure Cowboy would absolutely hate it because he wants to play but I have a lot of confidence in RJF. I don't think ppl realize just how good this guy is and how close he is from being a really good player for us. Nobody replaces Cowboy but I think the line can survive two games without him. Ice played some DE against the Pats and actually pushed the pocket pretty good. Between RJF, Sopoaga, and activating Ian Williams, we could survive without Cowboy for this two game stretch. Rather have Cowboy amped and ready for the post-season than to be nursing a injury heading into the playoffs. I doubt it happens though.

No way I sit Smith Sunday. We're in the playoffs but need to get that second seed and a home playoff game in the divisional round. If we beat SEA, then we can sit him against the Cardinals but I wouldnt sit him both games. No way. Getting that second seed is too important. Smith can heal during the Cardinals game and the bye week.

Could be a player who can play DE and OLB in our 3-4 defense. That wouldnt be a waste. Just OLB in general, I agree. As for WR, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams and Jenkins are our top four receivers. Could draft a WR in the mid to later rounds but not in the top three.

VAfy-ya
12-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Well i dont see Dobbs stepping in for either Smith or McDonald so he basically is only an DE/OLB in our nickle package where he will replace Smith or Brooks. Ian Williams hasn't been active all year i believe so i dont really think he is being trusted that much(can be because he doesn't have ST or offensive roles but i just don't think they will go with RJF and Ian Williams as NT. RJF seems better as DT(in place of McDonald or Smith and i don't really know Eddie so cant judge him.

On OLB we will have at least in my eyes Haralson who i very much trust as an number 2 more than RJF who i think will never become an full time starter. Offcourse at thise stage OLB is very weak but that more has to do with the current injuries where 2 of the 4 guys on IR are OLB's than with a lack of depth on the normal roster. Offcourse you never know how Haralson will come back and how fleming will fit in but while i can see that the position isn't the deepest i certainly think we have more need for and NT or DT or maybe even both.

However it will be i really don't think we need a guy that can step right in. Only exception can be safety when Goldson isn't resigned which i would really hate cause he is an important piece of the D.

And last but not least i think you can never have enough pass rushers and receiving targets since i could very well see Moss, Ginn and Walker leave after this year which leaves us with only Crabtree, Manningham and Davis as proven targets and Williams, Jenkins and Celek that still have to prove a lot. I would love to see us get a TE like Toilolo who could be amazing in the endzone and an speedy outside target since we now have an QB who could get the bal there.

I'm almost positive, if you watch any replays of our games, you'll see Dobbs inserted into games to back-up either Cowboy or Ray Mac. Especially when we go with a 3 man line in nickel or dime situations. I don't recall ever seeing him on the edge of a 4 man line. I'll have to check though to be certain.

I agree, you can never have enough pass-rushers....which is why I said it wouldn't shock me if OLB was the first pick.

And I still believe Haralson's contract might be a problem. If he agrees to restructure, shouldn'tu be a issue. I can see Baalke giving him a Ted Ginn-like ultimatum...either re-structure or be cut. But he also might want to go elsewere for a bigger role so wouldn't be opposed to being cut if it meant he could sign for more money and be in-line for a starting position elsewhere. It makes a ton of sense financial and career wise for him. He'd have some suitors if he hit the market.

dan77733
12-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I still think we need a receiver to help Crabtree who seems to be turning into a good target, but I'm just concerned about our defense.

I disagree with you and Borat in regards to needing another WR. When im not looking for us to go after Wallace, that should tell you guys something. :P

Seriously though, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams (slot) and Jenkins are our top four receivers. I could see a mid to late round pick on a WR but not in the top three. Extend Manningham and Williams and we're good to go. Kaepernick makes our receivers even better than they already are.

Justone2
12-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm almost positive, if you watch any replays of our games, you'll see Dobbs inserted into games to back-up either Cowboy or Ray Mac. Especially when we go with a 3 man line in nickel or dime situations. I don't recall ever seeing him on the edge of a 4 man line. I'll have to check though to be certain.

I agree, you can never have enough pass-rushers....which is why I said it wouldn't shock me if OLB was the first pick.

And I still believe Haralson's contract might be a problem. If he agrees to restructure, shouldn'tu be a issue. I can see Baalke giving him a Ted Ginn-like ultimatum...either re-structure or be cut. But he also might want to go elsewere for a bigger role so wouldn't be opposed to being cut if it meant he could sign for more money and be in-line for a starting position elsewhere. It makes a ton of sense financial and career wise for him. He'd have some suitors if he hit the market.

Could be wrong on my end too to be honest. In my mind he played the outside on the 4 man lines sometimes but could be the 3 man Dime looks.

@Dan

I think we really can use another receiver. Just having those 4 won't be enough and really wil K-10 tearing his ACL i don't think he will have a big role next year which leaves us with 3 receivers. And i think having an variety of receivers can really pay off. A speedy outside target to replace Moss is a need in my eyes to complement the qualities of Crabtree and Manningham and the still basically unknown Jenkins.

dan77733
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
@Dan

I think we really can use another receiver. Just having those 4 won't be enough and really wil K-10 tearing his ACL i don't think he will have a big role next year which leaves us with 3 receivers. And i think having an variety of receivers can really pay off. A speedy outside target to replace Moss is a need in my eyes to complement the qualities of Crabtree and Manningham and the still basically unknown Jenkins.

True in regards to Williams but knowing that he was determined after those two botched punts, I think that he'll be just as determined this off-season to get back on the field. A speed threat would be good but at the same time, Moss isnt as fast as he used to be and Crabtree/Manningham are faster than they appear to be at times. Jenkins is unknown but he's also our first round pick and dont see us drafting another WR early. Mid round pick on a speedy receiver/returner would be good especially since I dont want to see Ginn back but not earlier unless someone awesome falls and the guy Baalke/Harbaugh want is gone.

Justone2
12-18-2012, 07:17 PM
This is how i would list the needs(in this case i have left out all expiring contracts so it could change. Goldson would be the first guy i would try and resign but for now we can't be sure he is retained)

1: Safety(logical that this goes way down when Goldson stays in that case i still think we need one with only Trent Robinson as back-up)
2: NT(We basically have none under contract for next season. Would love to resign RJF and maybe Ian Williams(Haven't seen him play much) and depending on cost let Sopoaga walk)
3: OLB(More pass rusher than cover and run stopping)
4: TE (Long Tall catcher since Celek is more of a blocker and we could use some length)
5: CB(I hope Culliver get's the starting spot and we maybe cut Rogers(in that case Cox will be the Nickle corner)as cap casualty with brown holding down the other side)
6: DE/DT(Can be very raw to groom behind Cowboy and can take his place in a few years and give him a breather since both Cowboy and McDonald play basically every snap
7: WR(Doesn't have to be a number 1 type but an speedster that can take the top of is welcome)
8: MLB(both Grant and Gooden are UFA and i can see Grant leave while Gooden is more of an ST-player)

dan77733
12-19-2012, 01:20 AM
This is how i would list the needs(in this case i have left out all expiring contracts so it could change. Goldson would be the first guy i would try and resign but for now we can't be sure he is retained)

1: Safety(logical that this goes way down when Goldson stays in that case i still think we need one with only Trent Robinson as back-up)
2: NT(We basically have none under contract for next season. Would love to resign RJF and maybe Ian Williams(Haven't seen him play much) and depending on cost let Sopoaga walk)
3: OLB(More pass rusher than cover and run stopping)
4: TE (Long Tall catcher since Celek is more of a blocker and we could use some length)
5: CB(I hope Culliver get's the starting spot and we maybe cut Rogers(in that case Cox will be the Nickle corner)as cap casualty with brown holding down the other side)
6: DE/DT(Can be very raw to groom behind Cowboy and can take his place in a few years and give him a breather since both Cowboy and McDonald play basically every snap
7: WR(Doesn't have to be a number 1 type but an speedster that can take the top of is welcome)
8: MLB(both Grant and Gooden are UFA and i can see Grant leave while Gooden is more of an ST-player)

1. If we cant re-sign Goldson, I fully expect him to be franchised. No way in hell is he going anywhere unless he gets franchised and then traded but thats highly unlikely. We have three backups at safety, Spillman, McBath and Robinson plus Thomas on the practice squad. Spillman and Robinson are signed thru 2014 and 2015 respectively.

2. Sopoaga and Jean-Francois are UFA's but I fully expect the team to re-sign Jean-Francois with Sopoaga 50/50. Depending on what happens with Sopoaga will determine what happens in the draft.

3. OLB is a must with or without Haralson. I expect them to release Haralson unless he takes a paycut with Baalke/Harbaugh finding his replacement early in the draft.

4. TE will probably be a mid round pick. I wanted Fleener last year and to trade Walker. Dont see us keeping Walker unless he takes less money than offered elsewhere.

5. CB depends on if Rogers gets released or not. I would probably release him and trade Brown if I could somehow snatch DRC in FA to matchup with Culliver. If not, extend Brown and start him opposite Culliver. Would re-sign Brock and Cox is under contract thru 2013. Draft wise, im hoping for that Mathieu (sp?) guy for a mid to late round pick. His ability to cause fumbles and turnovers is worth the risk.

6. DE isnt much of a need right now because we have Smith, McDonald and Dobbs (even though he's listed as a TE). We do need another DE to groom in case we lose Smith after 2013 but if he keeps playing like he is now, I dont see him going anywhere.

7. WR isnt a huge need. Mid round pick. We have Crabtree who's finally showing that he can be our number one receiver. Manningham has played good and will hopefully be extended because I actually like them two as the starters. Williams in the slot and Jenkins as the fourth receiver. I know Williams is coming off that ACL injury but he's a determined little guy so I see him being 100% by TC. He'll just have to take the rust off. A returner would be good to replace Ginn as I hope we dont re-sign him.

8. Would put ILB up a spot or two. Grant is 50/50 but im hoping we keep him if possible. Gooden should hopefully be re-signed. Either way, we'll definitely need another ILB.

phlysac
12-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Dobbs play a handful of snaps at OLB in preseason against guys that were cut the following day. He doesn't translate to the position as anything other than absolute emergency depth.

Alot of the draft depends on Goldson. If he signs I would target OLB and WR, but that's because I have a few players in mind and the draft is extremely deep at those positions.

Personally, my dream would be Ezekiel Ansah and Da'Rick Rogers. Both could be brought along slowly and have the highest ceilings.

That would never happen, though.

VAfy-ya
12-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Dobbs play a handful of snaps at OLB in preseason against guys that were cut the following day. He doesn't translate to the position as anything other than absolute emergency depth.

Alot of the draft depends on Goldson. If he signs I would target OLB and WR, but that's because I have a few players in mind and the draft is extremely deep at those positions.

Personally, my dream would be Ezekiel Ansah and Da'Rick Rogers. Both could be brought along slowly and have the highest ceilings.

If you substitute Justin Hunter for Rogers, than our thinking is alike. Ansah will be a top 10 pick when all is said and done though. Too much freakish ability in that kid to make it out of the top 10. But I would love for Baalke to trade up and go get him. Seems like the type of move for a team with few glaring holes and a bevy of draft picks. Rogers has character concerns that make me weary of him. And Hunter was the better of the two before his ACL injury. Like you said though, deep WR class. Tons of other guys I like also....Marcus Davis and Corey Fuller from VT, Chris Harper from KSU, Boyd from UNC, and Kennan Allen from Cal to name a few. I just like Hunter's 6'4 frame and track speed on the outside a little bit more than anyone else.

Dan is right too, we won't just let Goldson walk. If a extension isn't reached before free agency, I think he'll be franchised again. Don't kno how Goldson would feel about that but I don't see Baalke just letting him get signed away. And honestly, I'm not really enamored with any safety prospects this year so not sure how I feel about spending a high pick on a one. Maybe McDonald.....maybe.

HypocrisyIsGreat
12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Hopefully those two can be as good as Prince Amukamara. Da great Amukamara!

VAfy-ya
12-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Looks like officials made the wrong call on Walker's fumble

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/20/nfl-admits-officials-replay-assistant-screwed-up-on-49ers-fumble/

dan77733
12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Looks like officials made the wrong call on Walker's fumble

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/20/nfl-admits-officials-replay-assistant-screwed-up-on-49ers-fumble/

Knew that the moment I saw the replay. I was going nuts. Damn officials (as usual) were trying to screw us over. NFL should let the referee review all turnovers and scoring plays instead of some jackass in a cozy booth. NFL should also allow every angle that us viewers are able to see. Only difference is that they should be watching the replays in full speed. All these damn officials and referees make way too many mistakes that shouldnt be made to begin with. NFL needs to solve that problem starting with what's a legal and illegal hit. Defenseless receiver whould only be called if its a hit to the receiver's head. Other than that, as long as the defender hits the receiver after the ball gets there, it should be a clean hit. Too many penalities on illegal hits that arent even illegal.

abaddon41_80
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah that looked like an incomplete pass to me