PDA

View Full Version : Packers @ Vikings Showdown

J-Mike88
12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8783192/green-bay-packers-aim-keep-adrian-peterson-record

You guys could easily have beaten us 3 1/2 weeks ago on the Hallowed Ground of Lambeau Field... if Ponder would have just been bad, and not horrifically bad, you'd have won.

He looked a lot better last week down in Houston.
Jared Allen always feasts on our LT in the HumptyDome......

I realize McCarthy has pretty much owned the Vikings other than the 1 year with the Gunslinger there, but this game is a tossup in my mind for a few reasons.

Number 1, we really do want to win to earn the bye and #2 seed.
But you guys really really really want to, and HAVE to, win to keep your season alive. There's a big difference between wanting and needing.

We have had some games against Peterson where we bottle him up well.
But those weren't with our 4th ILB starting like now in Brad Jones. We're missing Desmond Bishop & DJ Smith. Brad Jones is not a normal ILB. He will be exploited.

I don't fear your WRs, and Harvin & Sidney Rice were the guys who hurt us.
But big Kyle is a mismatch for anyone we put on him.
And Peterson will break at least 3 or 4 10+ yard runs, and the key will be do they turn into 20, 40+ yard long ones, or just 10, 12, 15 yarders?

Turnovers cannot ever be predicted.

But let's say each team has NONE.

I have us about a 55% chance of winning.

I look for a score of around 27-24 or 24-20 Sunday.
If not for turnovers, then whoever the refs bad calls favor will most likely be the winner.

Dr. Gonzo
12-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Peterson will break the record and carry us to the playoffs. If we win, do we face you guys next week?

Vikings4ever
12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Peterson will break the record and carry us to the playoffs. If we win, do we face you guys next week?

Vikings and 9ers win, Vikings play the Packers again.

Packers and 9ers lose, we go to Seattle if they win, SF if Seattle loses.

J-Mike88
12-28-2012, 09:38 PM
There's as much chance of the crappy Cardinals winning at Arizona as there is the Gophers beating Alabama in the BCS game next month. Or close... lol.

If you win, it will be us dropping to the #3 seed and you'll be taking a little roadie to Lambeau Field a week later.

yo123
12-29-2012, 11:31 PM
I haven't been this nervous about a Vikings game since the NFC championship game 3 years ago. Hopefully this one isn't as painful.

the_legend_killer
12-30-2012, 03:49 AM
To me the game boils down to three simple things:

1) Can the Vikings play turnover-free football? Minnesota doesn't have the kind of offense that can play from behind and score in bunches, so keeping their hands on the ball is big.

2) Can the Vikings force the Packers to settle for FGs over TDs? The Packers offense will move the ball, they're too good not to. But when push comes to shove, can the Vikings keep the Packers out of the end zone and force them to settle for some adventurous FG attempts from Mason Crosby.

3) Can the Vikings start hot? In wins against San Francisco, Detroit (Twice), Chicago (at home) and St. Louis the Vikings were able to come out early and get off to a quick start. When that happens it seems to make all the difference in the world with how the team (Especially Christian Ponder) plays.

I know these are pretty basic things, but they'll be the things I'm looking for later today.

General Zod
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I haven't been this nervous about a Vikings game since the NFC championship game 3 years ago. Hopefully this one isn't as painful.

Same here. But I just try to get things in perspective, this team wasnt suppose to win more then 5 games this season. So this season is a big step forward in so many ways. No matter what the outcome of today.

That being said, I'd love to see us make the playoffs. And Peterson have a big day.

marshallb
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM

God dammit. Why'd you have to bring that game up? That one still hurts when I think about it.

That being said, I'm very hopeful today, nervous, but hopeful. The Vikes are a much better team at home than on the road, have been playing inspired the past few weeks, and played the Pack damn tough in Lambeau, plus we have Cook back which helps our secondary immensely against Rodgers and Nelson, Cobb, and Jennings. But, it's still the Packers and well, it's also still the Vikings, and how many times have the Vikings let us down in big games...

prock
12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
The Packers have no LBs or WRs. That bodes well. But I'm freaking out. Today is going to be so emotional.

BuckNaked
12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm so nervous

BuckNaked
12-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Also, the Packers could be without their first 4 WR's a,d still have a better receiving corps than us.

J-Mike88
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
God dammit. Why'd you have to bring that game up? That one still hurts when I think about it.

That being said, I'm very hopeful today, nervous, but hopeful....
Let's not go back to there... but if it makes you feel any better, you were the best team in football that year.

Today's game boils down to 2 things.

#1- Turnovers, which is normal.
#2- Packers OL. I think they can be steamrolled, as Seattle and the NYG do.
If their OL plays well, Rodgers will be a Thanksgiving surgeon and your DBs the turkeys.

I expect the Vikings front to be significantly better than the Packers OL, and I see a rare Rodgers interception today.
I see the Vikings using Peterson and the focus-on-stopping Peterson and utilizing some key play-action passes, many to big Kyle, and one big one to the leaping Jerome Simpson.

Also, the Packers kicker is horrible, yours is great.
Our kicker missed a game-winning FG there a few years ago, he's always been a choke. I see at least one big miss from him today, again. But McCarthy will remain loyal to him again saying "Mason Crosby is our kicker. Mason needs to make those kicks."

And the Vikings are playing for their lives, will be a big more intense than the Packers playing for a week off essentially.

Grape Apes 27
Cheese Curds 24

Here's a few stats for you. Last year the Packers were 32 in total defense (yards), but they only gave up 22.4 points per game.
This year they are currently ranked 10th total defense (yards) but have only given up 19.9 points per game. At 2.5 per game improvement.

The Vikings last year were ranked 21st in total defense (yards) but gave up 28.1 points per game.
This year the Vikings are currently ranked 16th in total defense (yards) but have only given up 20.9 points per game.
An improvement of 7.2 points per game.

Packers have given up 32 (11 rushing, 21 passing) TD's on the year.
The Vikings have given up 34 (10 rushing, 24 passing) TD's on the year.

The Packers have given up 4944 yards on 976 defensive plays for a rate of 5.11 yards per play.
The Vikings have given up 5194.5 yards on 1022 plays for and average of 5.08 yards per play.

And here's one more thing for you. The 8 common games, Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis.
Packers gave up an average of 21.38 points per game. Vikings, 17.25.

Non-common common games. Skins, Giants, Tampa and Saints. Packers 32.5, Vikings 37.

And division games not including the Packer-Viking game. Packer 14.75, Vikings 19.75.

Against the 4 (5 for Vikings including the Packers) teams we know are in the playoffs at this point. Packers defense has given up 22 points per game, Vikings, 19. So that give you a little idea of were the points are being scored.

Vikes99ej
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I have a bad feeling today, but either it way it's been a fantastic, exciting season. I couldn't imagine that we would be over .500 going into this season. Sucks I can't watch it today, but I'll be streaming and checking the score center compulsively.

djp
12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
One time...........

J-Mike88
12-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a bad feeling today, but either it way it's been a fantastic, exciting season. I couldn't imagine that we would be over .500 going into this season. Sucks I can't watch it today, but I'll be streaming and checking the score center compulsively.
Explain...... ^

prock
12-30-2012, 01:42 PM
We as a fan base deserve this game and record. We have suffered enough

Vikes99ej
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Explain...... ^

I have to intern at a hockey game at three. If they would have kept the ******* game at noon I could have seen the whole game. Yes I mad.

J-Mike88
12-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I have to intern at a hockey game at three. If they would have kept the ******* game at noon I could have seen the whole game. Yes I mad.
**** hockey.
Oh wait, that's Minnesota I forgot.....

yo123
12-30-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm not implying anything, but I think the flu has been going around...

Taber21
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Everson Griffin making another play. Great season for him.

Vikes99ej
12-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone I'm watching the game.

Taber21
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
One more semi-long run and AP will be virtually a lock for the record.

We have endured a lot as a fan base but being able to watch AP start and hopefully finish his career as a Viking is pretty amazing.

General Zod
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
What a game wow! And sooo bittersweet just 9 yards short.

I honestly had Gary Anderson flashbacks right before Walsh kicked the game winning FG. lol

J-Mike88
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Who here had Vikings winning by 3 again?
Nothing for being right on?
(Other than my own personal moneyline wager I made on Bovada)

Our pathetic soft defense made Ponder look like Tom Brady today, especially on so many ****ing 3rd & LONGS!

You guys should all tweet-thank Tramon Williams for his ghetto-penalty on Simpson that cost the Packers 4 points, in a 3-point game. What a punk he had gotten baited by the punk Jerome Simpson.

I like Ponder love Peterson, Greenway, lotta guys I like on that team.
The only one I hate is Simpson, he is a criminal, and he's the one who baited our guy into that stupid, worst timing penalty. The ref that was right there didn't call it though! Check that out next replay you see if it.....

marshallb
12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
What a game wow! And sooo bittersweet just 9 yards short.

I honestly had Gary Anderson flashbacks right before Walsh kicked the game winning FG. lol

That was an amazing game. One of the best of the year for sure. I was hoping Peterson was going to take that one to the house at the end of the game to give him the record by 2 yards, but unfortunately he didn't get it. The Vikings still made it to the playoffs, and that was the most important thing in this game. It should be a hell of a game next week versus Green Bay. I'm hoping the game is either Saturday night or Sunday because I have to work until 6 on Saturday and I'd rather not call in to work/leave early, but I will if I have to.

the_legend_killer
12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Good game, I certainly didn't expect the Vikings O to put up 37 points (Or for Ponder to make as many throws as he did). From 3-13 to 10-6 and a playoff berth. I'd like a deep run as anyone, but IMO anything else from here is gravy.

BloodBrother
12-30-2012, 08:03 PM
If the Pack were going to lose and let AD run all over them, they might as well have just let him get the record to really make it mean something

Good game.

General Zod
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
If the Pack were going to lose and let AD run all over them, they might as well have just let him get the record to really make it mean something

Good game.

awww someone sounds a little butthurt?

BloodBrother
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Why are some people so testy on here sometimes? I was congratulating the Vikes on the win, and since they got the win, I was hoping AD got the record. Damn man

General Zod
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Why are some people so testy on here sometimes? I was congratulating the Vikes on the win, and since they got the win, I was hoping AD got the record. Damn man

nah man, the way you worded it made it sound like the win didnt mean anything since AD didnt get the record.

prock
12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Anyone else get significantly intoxicated in the last two hours?

BloodBrother
12-30-2012, 08:51 PM
nah man, the way you worded it made it sound like the win didnt mean anything since AD didnt get the record.

Ok I see that now, that's not what I meant. My bad. More of a "since the pack lost, might as well have ended with AD getting the record rather than being 9 yards short". Ideally, I was hoping he wouldn't get it and the Pack won. Since they lost, I was hoping he got it. I'll slink on out now

J-Mike88
12-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping the game is either Saturday night or Sunday because I have to work until 6 on Saturday and I'd rather not call in to work/leave early, but I will if I have to.
More good news for you..... the game IS next Saturday, night.
7:00.

They have the Houston game during the day.... so the cold outdoor stadium in the winter will be under the lights, and the indoor, warm climate game is during the day.

Brilliant.

http://packersinsider.com/2012/12/packers-pass-defense-makes-ponder-look-like-manning/

Vikes99ej
12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
More good news for you..... the game IS next Saturday, night.
7:00.

They have the Houston game during the day.... so the cold outdoor stadium in the winter will be under the lights, and the indoor, warm climate game is during the day.

Brilliant.

http://packersinsider.com/2012/12/packers-pass-defense-makes-ponder-look-like-manning/

DAMN IT. Of course I have to intern again. At least I was able to see the important parts of todays game.

vikes_28
12-31-2012, 01:27 AM
i've been to a few vikings game in my life, but this game was nuts. incredible game to go to, i'm lucky to have gotten tickets. A lot of people were telling me **** like, "it's not going to mean anything since it's week 17 and everyone will be resting their starers." totally not the case here.

Not to take away from Peterson's awesomeness. but did anyone else notice how well Ponder played? 3 TD's and over 300 yards. not too bad.

yo123
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
The pessimist in me thought we were going to blow that like 4 different times, but we came up with a big play every time. That throw by Ponder to Jairius Wright.....goddamn man. Talk about coming up big when we needed it. That and Robison's strip on Rodgers were the deciding plays.

J-Mike88
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
The pessimist in me thought we were going to blow that like 4 different times, but we came up with a big play every time. That throw by Ponder to Jairius Wright.....goddamn man. Talk about coming up big when we needed it. That and Robison's strip on Rodgers were the deciding plays.
That throw was gorgeous, perfect. Coverage wasn't THAT bad...
But I was hoping Wright would do his Troy Williamson impression there... but not so lucky this time.....

We did make Ponder look like a clutch Joe Montana though.

General Zod
12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Its whats so maddening about Ponder. When he is "on" he can be very efficient and accurate QB. When he is "off", well its Rex Grossman bad. lol

yo123
01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I think it's pretty funny that people seem to be dismissing the Vikings chances so much in this game, because "the packers didn't really need to win last week."

Aaron Rodgers threw for 350 yards and 4 TD's last week. He's not going to play better than that this week. We got a great shot from GB and we just beat them. I'm not really saying that I'm predicting that we're going to win, just that we have a better shot than we're being given credit for.

J-Mike88
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Although I am having these images in my nightmares all week long, I thought I'd give you guys a little treat here:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc206/DMannDD/ADRunningOverAlHarris.gifhttp://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/108527_o.gifhttp://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/40204_o.gif

The Dynasty
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I was at that Cleveland Browns game.. That run was crazy in person.

General Zod
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I think it's pretty funny that people seem to be dismissing the Vikings chances so much in this game, because "the packers didn't really need to win last week."

Aaron Rodgers threw for 350 yards and 4 TD's last week. He's not going to play better than that this week. We got a great shot from GB and we just beat them. I'm not really saying that I'm predicting that we're going to win, just that we have a better shot than we're being given credit for.

If Ponder continues to play well, there is no reason to think we dont have a chance to win.

Im just worried about Winfield, I hope he can hold up. Rodgers torched Sherels last sunday.

J-Mike88
01-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Has your whole OL been in tact this whole season?

the_legend_killer
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah. Kalil-Johnson-Sullivan-Fusco-Loadholt has been the starting five since the opener. Schwartz has worked in for Fusco some, but Fusco is the starter.

Vikings4ever
01-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Ponder's out, Webb to start.

Could either be very good, or VERY bad.

vikes_28
01-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Was just going to sign in to say that ^^

princefielder28
01-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I feel Webb playing actually improves the Vikings' chances tonight

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I feel Webb playing actually improves the Vikings' chances tonight

I don't think it improves our chances but Webb is actually a pretty good player at times. I don't think it hurts our chances near as much as people think.

Vikes99ej
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I never, ever want to see Joe Webb ever again.

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
I never, ever want to see Joe Webb ever again.

Still a half to play but I couldn't help but laugh when it was suggested Frazier needs to make adjustments. He is not a good enough coach to do that.

Vikes99ej
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
This is just downright bad luck that our season had to end this way. It really is.

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
This is just downright bad luck that our season had to end this way. It really is.

Looking grim but still not done yet. A touchdown here and a pick or big stop and we are right back in it. I just have no faith in Frazier as a coach. Webb is playing like **** but if he can put it together mentally somehow he has all the ability. AD needs to put the team on his back.

BuckNaked
01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I was planning on taking a shot for every Joe Webb completion. Even that sucked.

The Dynasty
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Joe Webb's play is making Christian Ponder look like an Elite QB. This game is so tough to watch and I feel bad for Adrian since he doesn't even have a chance to run because of our lack of our passing game. I can't be too upset though considering last year we were 3-13 and we turned around to a 10-6 playoff team.

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
We made the playoffs which was great but this game has just been so awful that I almost don't care. I know it won't happen but we need a new coach. I have been saying since he was hired that Frazier is no good. I just do not see us winning a superbowl with him.

marshallb
01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
We made the playoffs which was great but this game has just been so awful that I almost don't care. I know it won't happen but we need a new coach. I have been saying since he was hired that Frazier is no good. I just do not see us winning a superbowl with him.

Really? What did you expect Frazier to do with how Webb played tonight? Add on top of that the 12 men on defense giving the Packers 4 extra points, Sherels muffing a punt, Webb stepping back into a strip sack, and hitting Shields in stride for the pick, about the only player he hit in stride tonight. Webb was flat out ****, and this is what a few of us said when many Vikings fans were clamoring for him to replace Ponder a little over a month ago. I don't know how you can put this loss on Frazier.

As far as I'm concerned, this season was still an extreme success. Coming into the season I felt the Vikings were a 7-9 team and with the way the NFL is, a bounce or two your way and you end up with a couple extra wins, the other way and instead it's a couple extra losses. Most expected worse than that with the most optimistic predictions by the experts putting the Vikings at 6-10, with most saying 5-11 or 4-12. To go 10-6 was impressive and to make the playoffs was gravy. To have Ponder miss this game was bad luck and gave the Vikes no chance. Frazier did a damn good job taking this team from the 3rd worst record in the league to the playoffs with not a whole lot of changes last offseason outside of a damn good draft.

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I would not credit Frazier for leading this team to a 10-6 record. I don't blame this loss on him but he is a bottom 10 coach in the league in my opinion. We win in spite of him.

marshallb
01-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I would not credit Frazier for leading this team to a 10-6 record. I don't blame this loss on him but he is a bottom 10 coach in the league in my opinion. We win in spite of him.

Really? How can you say that? He's not Childress. How has he cost this team or forced them to win in spite of him?

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Really? How can you say that? He's not Childress. How has he cost this team or forced them to win in spite of him?

Well last year the team underperformed. This year Adrian Peterson carried the team to the playoffs. Just not sure how you are giving him credit for the Vikings making the playoffs. I have never seen anything from him that leads me to believe he is a good coach. I knew we were essentially done at half not just because of Webb but because he is not able to make adjustments.

marshallb
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Well last year the team underperformed. This year Adrian Peterson carried the team to the playoffs. Just not sure how you are giving him credit for the Vikings making the playoffs. I have never seen anything from him that leads me to believe he is a good coach. I knew we were essentially done at half not just because of Webb but because he is not able to make adjustments.

Whatever. I agree the team underperformed last year, and I don't care to argue this because it's pointless, and I'm heading out soon to start drinking. As far as I'm concerned, coaches along with QBs get way too much credit when a team is doing well and way too much blame when they're doing poorly in most circumstances, but I don't see how this team won in spite of him as you said.

Anyways, SKOL VIKES! Here's to a strong offseason and an even better season next year!

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Whatever. I agree the team underperformed last year, and I don't care to argue this because it's pointless, and I'm heading out soon to start drinking. As far as I'm concerned, coaches along with QBs get way too much credit when a team is doing well and way too much blame when they're doing poorly in most circumstances, but I don't see how this team won in spite of him as you said.

Anyways, SKOL VIKES! Here's to a strong offseason and an even better season next year!

Enjoy the drinking but you claim coaches get way to much credit and proceed to give Leslie Frazier way to much credit. Just saying. I am probably being to hard on him but I don't think anyone can really say he is a good coach.

marshallb
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Enjoy the drinking but you claim coaches get way to much credit and proceed to give Leslie Frazier way to much credit. Just saying. I am probably being to hard on him but I don't think anyone can really say he is a good coach.

Sorry to continue this, but where did I say he was a good coach? I'm simply saying that he's not nearly as bad as you're saying and that it wasn't in spite of him that this team won games.

the_legend_killer
01-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Thoughts:

- I think it is safe to say any of the "Joe Webb should start" people have been shut up for good, Webb was flat out dogshit throwing the ball.
- Why did the Vikings get away from running the read option with Webb-Peterson after the first successful drive with it? The only Webb was going to be successful was as a runner and after the first drive they treated Webb like he was a straight-up pocket passer (Which is just asking for trouble).
- All in all, I don't think the defense played too bad. Green Bay is too good on offense not to move the ball and score, but if you told me before the game that they would score 24 points, I would have felt this would've been a game the Vikings could win.
- Sucks that the season ended that abruptly and ugly to a division rival, but it is what it is. Team needs to move forward and have another good draft and try to get a few more playmakers like they got out of this year's draft.
- Titty sprinkles. Just wanted to say that.

J-Mike88
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Here we go again gentlemen: The Vikings Super Bowl Week is here again.

Take the Vikings + the points.
Rodgers has NOBODY besides Jordyzzz to throw to.
Defense will keep a safety over the top of him, and focus on stopping Eddie Lacy.

DEs will get a jump on our 2nd string OTs because of the loud noise, and will pressure Rodgers heavily.
No Finley, no Cobb, no Jones, no more Jennings or Driver...... I smell trouble. This will be a battle.

Whichever way the bad calls by the zebras go, that team could win.

Remember, Ponder has had 2 good games there vs the Packers, including one big win, and that was not with Jennings or Cor-Darrel.

Our special teams coverages are atrocious, so I wouldn't be surprised to see either a KR or PR come back to the house.

yo123
10-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Go away.

asdfsdafdas

J-Mike88
10-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Go away.

asdfsdafdas
Was that for me, or Frazier?
Yo?

yo123
10-26-2013, 11:07 PM
For you.
sadlfkjsdklfjklsd

the_legend_killer
10-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Lol. I think we'll see a better effort from the Vikings than we have the past two weeks (Not saying much, but still). But I still see Green Bay winning, 27-17ish.

yo123
10-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Lol. I think we'll see a better effort from the Vikings than we have the past two weeks (Not saying much, but still). But I still see Green Bay winning, 27-17ish.

Agreed. If this team has any pride they'll come out stronger than they did last week. If not, then I guess let's start debating whether we want Mariota or Teddy.

ph90702
10-26-2013, 11:54 PM
It's very telling how bad the Vikings are when the Packers are missing three of their top four targets and are still favored by nine points on the road.

the_legend_killer
10-27-2013, 12:06 AM
It sure is. Pretty sure I'd take Josh Sitton on my fantasy team running routes if Josh Robinson was matched up on him.