PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Texans Draft Thread

Bosanac01
01-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I can't believe we have so little Texans fans on here. I did a mock draft recently, here are the results.

1) 28. Houston Texans - DT John Jenkins, Georgia

2) 61. Houston Texans - LB Shayne Skov, Stanford

3) 93. Houston Texans - OT Brennan Williams, North Carolina

4) 125. Houston Texans - WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M

5) 157. Houston Texans - CB Sanders Commings, Georgia

6) 189. Houston Texans - QB Matt Scott, Arizona

7) 221. Houston Texans - RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

America
01-15-2013, 08:45 PM
NO AGGIES. Seriously though, if we get a receiver, he needs to be able to stretch the defense.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree. There is an absolute need for a wr, and it should be #1. There is no one on this team that threatens downfield, except optimus prime. If he is hurt or if the defense rolls enough people his way, the team becomes a run/throw to the tight end based offense. I pray that a quality wr is found.

Bosanac01
01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
NO AGGIES. Seriously though, if we get a receiver, he needs to be able to stretch the defense.

Why No Aggies?? Swope is a real playmaker you guys need.

Seriously. No one cares about the needs you guys have at the line, everyone wants the big shot.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
I just don't see the lines being the major hole. They can always be improved, but I don't see that as the reason the Texans lost.

jayceheathman
01-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I would love the Jenkins selection but in round two we need to go WR. I would think someone out of Austin, Hopkins, Woods, or Williams would still be around. Not the biggest of fans of the WR's but late 2nd would be a good risk on one of them.

America
01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Why No Aggies?? Swope is a real playmaker you guys need.

Seriously. No one cares about the needs you guys have at the line, everyone wants the big shot.

I'm a Longhorn so I inevitably hate A&M. Plus I have friends who went to Westlake HS in Austin who played with Swope and think he's a tool. Granted, they hate A&M too. I think he maxes out as a Davone Bess kind of player though.

Notice how the running game got stuffed a lot more this year - the right side of the line was horrendous. We've invested a lot at RG recently, so I wouldn't say upgrade immediately, but Newton looked overmatched most of the year so I think a RT would be a solid pick.

jayceheathman
01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm a Longhorn so I inevitably hate A&M. Plus I have friends who went to Westlake HS in Austin who played with Swope and think he's a tool. Granted, they hate A&M too. I think he maxes out as a Davone Bess kind of player though.

Notice how the running game got stuffed a lot more this year - the right side of the line was horrendous. We've invested a lot at RG recently, so I wouldn't say upgrade immediately, but Newton looked overmatched most of the year so I think a RT would be a solid pick.

I wasn't too happy when we passed on Zeitler and Glenn for basically a special teams starter in Mercilus. It shows how bad last years draft was for us. I think if we go offense in round 1 that I would rather it be Fluker than anyone else.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Man, I think you will be wrong about Mercilus. He has shown me something, and was my second favorite defensive player last year, behind only Bruce Irvin. And I only ranked Irvin above him because I thought Irvin would fall.

I think Mercilus is gonna show up and I am not regretting that pick at all. Now I would ask you guys to think about what happens when Andre goes down. If he is out of the picture, for whatever reason, this team only throws to tight ends. I have to stand by drafting a wr.

jayceheathman
02-04-2013, 02:03 AM
Man, I think you will be wrong about Mercilus. He has shown me something, and was my second favorite defensive player last year, behind only Bruce Irvin. And I only ranked Irvin above him because I thought Irvin would fall.

I think Mercilus is gonna show up and I am not regretting that pick at all. Now I would ask you guys to think about what happens when Andre goes down. If he is out of the picture, for whatever reason, this team only throws to tight ends. I have to stand by drafting a wr.

I think Mercilus will prove to be a better pick for the 2013 season because he allows us to let Barwin walk. As far as this year goes, it was a waste of a pick because he rarely saw the field except for on special teams. He looked good when he got to play though.

Last year was poor at WR and so is this year in my opinion. There are talented ones worthy of a 2nd rounder but no real stand out options that scream first rounder at me. We definitely need to address that option but there is no good first round value in my opinion. Our right side of the offense was plain awful and especially against NE. Getting OL also helps out Foster, Schaub, as well as AJ which is why I choose Fluker if we go offense.

Kevin Minter would look sick on the Texans. Mercilus/Cushing/Minter/Reed would be dominant.

Eric Reid and John Jenkins would look on the defense.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
02-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Well heck yes! If you can get Reed, you get him! I just don't see the Ravens letting him go since Lewis is retiring.

And to agree with what you said, I don't think it is ever a bad idea to draft OL. Ever. It is statistically the safest thing to draft high, and even a bust on the OL usually still contributes in some way. So I will not be mad with OL at all. But we can not continue to have one WR that scares defenses.

OL is always good. I will never argue that!

jayceheathman
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Eric Reid and not Ed Reed. :)

I like Cunningham's idea of going after Greg Jennings. That will allow us to postpone the WR selection in the first round another year.

I like Reid, Minter, Cooper, Fluker, and Jenkins more than Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Justin Hunter, and Robert Woods. Surely one of them will fall to the 2nd round even if we don't pursue Greg Jennings.

jayceheathman
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm sure a lot of people on here are talking about this topic on their team's boards so I will add it here too. What do you guys think of giving up a high pick for Harvin? Do you think it would be worth the risk?

Loftin
02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
We need: ILB, DT, CB, WR, OG, OT

Best value available at any of those spots would make me happy

America
02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Eric Reid and not Ed Reed. :)

I like Cunningham's idea of going after Greg Jennings. That will allow us to postpone the WR selection in the first round another year.

I like Reid, Minter, Cooper, Fluker, and Jenkins more than Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Justin Hunter, and Robert Woods. Surely one of them will fall to the 2nd round even if we don't pursue Greg Jennings.

Jennings would be a huge upgrade at the #2 spot. Will he be overpaid? Maybe, but it should be worth it. I would love to trade for Percy Harvin but I don't see that happening unfortunately. He's one of my favorite players and adds a completely new dimension to our offense.

As for the draft, I want to trade up for Kenny Vaccaro but word is he's making a Mark Barron-esque leap to the Top 10.

America
02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
"It’s clear that age is beginning to catch up with Andre Johnson, who is still a very good player but not nearly the dynamic threat he was just a few years ago. At the very least Houston needs to find another pass catcher to compliment Johnson and draw some of the attention from opposing defenses." - Scott Wright in his latest mock.

Andre just had a career high in yards. I think we need a receiver but I don't think Andre's decline is as clear as Scott thinks it is.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm sure a lot of people on here are talking about this topic on their team's boards so I will add it here too. What do you guys think of giving up a high pick for Harvin? Do you think it would be worth the risk?

This is exactly the type of player we need, but there are two problems.

#1 He can be a headache

#2 I believe the stat book says he has missed over 50% of games so far in his career to injury.

He is so much fun to watch and so good, but I would have to say no. Unfortunately.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
02-24-2013, 12:02 AM
"It’s clear that age is beginning to catch up with Andre Johnson, who is still a very good player but not nearly the dynamic threat he was just a few years ago. At the very least Houston needs to find another pass catcher to compliment Johnson and draw some of the attention from opposing defenses." - Scott Wright in his latest mock.

Andre just had a career high in yards. I think we need a receiver but I don't think Andre's decline is as clear as Scott thinks it is.

I would agree to an extent. But another WR will only prolong his career.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh come on guys! The numbers from the combine are in and no one has any thoughts? We have to get more guys on here. It is hard to talk about the Texicans by myself.

jayceheathman
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
What do you think of Minter now after the combine results? Scott has up in his profile that he was 6'2 and ran a 4.65 but he is really 5'11 and ran a 4.82. That sucks to see. Wonder what happened or if it is a typo or something. Anyone know much about Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern State? He put up some nice numbers for a DT. 38 at 225, weighs almost 340, and had a decent 40. Not like we need someone fast at the NT position though. Just someone to help out Smith and Watt. Obviously Goodwin looked impressive as well.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
After watching some of the combine, I think the 40 times were not measured correctly. I thought the NFL channel did a good job of proving they were off. I wouldn't be surprised if Minter runs faster than that.

I am still praying for a wideout.

jayceheathman
03-12-2013, 11:59 PM
So what are the odds we sign DHB? Can't tell if he is still expecting a ton of money since he wasn't even willing to restructure a 10 million dollar contract. Either that or he was hoping to get released.

jayceheathman
03-17-2013, 12:43 AM
What are the odds we sign Reed? I didn't think we had a chance but it is starting to look good.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Reed would be an upgrade in every way. Why not? I really can't see a way he wouldn't help. He has made a career of capitalizing on tip balls. With this front swatting everything, he might have his best season ever.

jayceheathman
03-17-2013, 02:39 AM
He would definitely help for sure. I just didn't think he would consider leaving his legacy in Baltimore. Amerson in the second round to learn behind Reed would be sick.

cunningham06
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
3 yr $4 mil avg. contract on the table for Reed, far less than the $7 mil he's asking for. At least this battle is between us and the cash-strapped Ravens... I'd love to see Ed in a Texans jersey.

So far my draft wishlist is any of these guys in the 1st:
Cordarrelle Patterson
Tavon Austin
DJ Fluker

Make it happen Texans

America
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Ed. So glad he ended up here.

jayceheathman
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/995d9b5e-5275-3d5b-8784-a009623d61ec

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Oh man. I think this is a great signing. He brings so many things this team has lacked. I still say that he has made a career of making plays on tipped balls. That is perfect for the Texicans. I just love it. Love, Love, Love it.

Onto the draft, where we draft a WR. Pretty exciting stuff.

cunningham06
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM
So excited to see Ed Reed in a Texans jersey. The draft can't come soon enough.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
anyone excited or have an idea what the texicans want or need in the draft?

Geez. we need more posters on here.

Dunta_23
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I think we need WR, S, DL, ILB....

cunningham06
04-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Seems like WR's are flying up boards. If we want Tavon or Cordarrelle we're gonna have to trade up. There's a lot of directions we can go. It's a bit harder to peg us this year since we're picking so late! Now that is something we're not used to...

jayceheathman
04-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Seems like WR's are flying up boards. If we want Tavon or Cordarrelle we're gonna have to trade up. There's a lot of directions we can go. It's a bit harder to peg us this year since we're picking so late! Now that is something we're not used to...

We really could go in any direction. I could see us going WR, TE, OL, DT, ILB, and Scott mentioned to watch out for a QB but I don't buy it with Schaub having so many years remaining on his contract.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
See, I think qb could not be a possible early selection. We also have Yates

As for safety, can't see that either. Why bring in Reed if u r gonna draft one now? We need to be making a run at the Super Bowl. We r so close.

Ilb is an option for sure. U can never go wrong drafting an OL, so I am down for that. But overall, I don't think anything is a needs like wr. When Andre is not in the game, we only throw to TE's. this needs to change.

America
04-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Trade up for Tavon Austin. We can afford to trade our 3rd rounder because we've got a compensatory pick there.

D-Unit
04-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Somebody want to take the Texans in the Forum Mock?

cunningham06
04-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Somebody want to take the Texans in the Forum Mock?

I can, when is the forum mock?

D-Unit
04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Great news! It's gonna start this week!

PM me your cell phone number.

jayceheathman
04-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Pick John Jenkins for me. :)

jayceheathman
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
See, I think qb could not be a possible early selection. We also have Yates

As for safety, can't see that either. Why bring in Reed if u r gonna draft one now? We need to be making a run at the Super Bowl. We r so close.

Ilb is an option for sure. U can never go wrong drafting an OL, so I am down for that. But overall, I don't think anything is a needs like wr. When Andre is not in the game, we only throw to TE's. this needs to change.

I have been a big Eric Reid fan but he doesn't make sense anymore. I agree about that. There is no need for a safety first round pick. We could go Amerson in the 2nd round if we wanted someone to groom for the future. He is learning a new position and could use some time to learn behind one of the best to play safety. He could even be used as CB depth we had some injuries at that position.

I like Fluker and Minter and wouldn't mind those picks. You can never go wr

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Dang it!!! I wanted to do the mock draft! Oh well, guess I didn't respond quick enough.

Well, I have been watching video on Scott's top seven receivers. I made some notes. Tell me what you think.

Cordarrelle Patterson-Very good in the open field. Do it all type of player. However, his top speed doesn't seem that fast. Quick more than fast. Good player. Reminds me of Tim Brown.

Tavon Austin-An absolute blazer. Very fast top end. Maybe faster than he timed, which was fast. Reminds me of Percy Harvin. May not have #1
WR potential.

Justin Hunter-Gets open. Not top end-fast. Not explosive. Routes not real precise. Hands are great. Reminds me of Roy Williams when he was actually trying his first few years. Slow but Fluid. Doesn't offer much in the open field. May have benefited from being on the same team as Patterson.

Keenan Allen-Not much in open field. Not much top end speed. Gets open. His team seem to throw to him when they needed to move the chains, which is promising. Reminds me of Andre Johnson without the top speed.

Deandre Hopkins-Will go across the middle. A real fighter. Tough. Will fight for the ball. Good concentration. No top gear. Very Fiery. Nice hands. Great on the slant route. Routes look good to me.

Terrance Williams-Will catch in traffic. Top end not very fast. Goes down quickly. Not a fighter. Makes acrobatic catches. Concentration is good. Its hard for me to like this player when he gives up so easy.

Robert Woods-Open field moves are good. Good in space. I like his route running ok. Nice hands. Will catch in traffic and will go up for the ball. Has some fire in his belly. Good possession WR. Strong hands. Will take it away from defenders. Doesn't go down easily. Not a very fast top gear.

cunningham06
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Pick John Jenkins for me. :)

I'm a big Dawgs fan, but I'm not very impressed with John Jenkins. Out of that defense I think Ogletree will have the most success in the NFL. Jenkins is very athletic for his size, but he is the least powerful 340 pounder I've ever seen. Also on tape I just don't see the lateral agility that shows up in his workout numbers. Too many times the play goes right by him and he is unable to disengage and make a play. If we were to go to after a NT early, I much prefer Jesse Williams. There are some good NT prospects in this draft though and it's definitely a position we need to address early since there's not much depth behind Earl Mitchell.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
So which positions and players are you looking at in round one? I'm so jealous, and am dying to know who you are targeting in the forum draft.

P.S. Please don't draft John Jenkins. He looks too fat to move around and gets pushed back too often. Pick a WR, please...

America
04-11-2013, 06:37 PM
BPA all day.

cunningham06
04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
PM me any specific guys that you guys like, I appreciate the input. I'm gonna err on BPA in a manner that addresses our needs. But keep it to PM's don't want any other gm's snooping.

jayceheathman
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
So which positions and players are you looking at in round one? I'm so jealous, and am dying to know who you are targeting in the forum draft.

P.S. Please don't draft John Jenkins. He looks too fat to move around and gets pushed back too often. Pick a WR, please...

I guess I am the only one that is a big fan of his. At the least, he would take up space for JJ which never hurts at all. Cody had back surgery as well. I am just not a big fan of the top WR's as I have stated. I don't think they are first round material. I wouldn't be mad if we go that route since WR is our most obvious need. I like Scott's mock of getting the best WR available in round 2. For me, I like, Jenkins and Minter for defense or Eifert and Fluker on offense for round one. I am little mixed on Eifert. He is a great player but Daniels still has a few years left on his contract and he had a nice comeback year.

I will leave it on here since I am sure every GM in the mock draft knows we need WR. :)

jayceheathman
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm so jealous, and am dying to know who you are targeting in the forum draft.

I have done a couple of them the last few years and have been mixed so far. We wouldn't need a WR since a couple of years ago I was debating between JJ Watt and Julio Jones and ended up taking Jones. I picked Zeitler last year who played rather well. I can't be too proud though since I took Taylor Mays a few years ago and was so proud of my selection. haha

jayceheathman
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
If I was in your position, I would pick Hankins, Eifert, or Minter with probably an edge to Hankins. I wouldn't reach on a WR with the top 4 gone already. OL are gone unless you take the risk on Watson.

jayceheathman
04-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Interesting. Someone doesn't have faith in JoJo being healthy or Jackson having another decent year.

America
04-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Isn't Kareem entering the last year of his rookie deal? We don't have a lot of cap space and we're going to have to pay JJ Watt a billion dollars soon.

jayceheathman
04-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Isn't Kareem entering the last year of his rookie deal? We don't have a lot of cap space and we're going to have to pay JJ Watt a billion dollars soon.

He has two more years left I believe. I think he signed a five year deal.

America
04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
He has two more years left I believe. I think he signed a five year deal.

Good call. Not sure how McCain will be coming off an injury. I'm a big believer in Trufant and we play nickel so much these days you're 3rd guy is a starter. Brandon Harris got abused last year.

jayceheathman
04-14-2013, 11:16 PM
I jinxed you man. :( The second after I PM Cunningham to mention Terrance Williams was still on the board then he gets picked like 2 picks later. haha

cunningham06
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Forum mock update:

1. Desmond Trufant - CB, Washington

This was a difficult pick, I was trying to trade up using my first and third round to go and get Tavon Austin, but it fell through at the last minute. So I decided to go BPA at our spot and Trufant was by far the highest ranked guy on my big board. As a rookie he would start in the nickel and would be perfect matching up against shifty slot WR's. In our games last season against top qb's running 4+ WR sets, our defense was exposed and our depth was very suspect when Joseph was dealing with nagging injuries. After year 1, I think he can develop into a very good starting CB.

2. Quinton Patton - WR, Louisiana Tech

WR was too big of a need to not address here. I was deciding between Patton and Da'Rick Rogers, but went with Patton bc he doesn't have the character issues Rogers does. He has a well-rounded game and catches the ball well. He can contribute as a #2/3 guy day 1.

3. Brandon Williams - NT, Missouri Southern St.

Williams is a prospect I like as much as any other NT in the draft. He is built like a fire-hydrant, with a very thick build. He's an immovable object that can tie up blockers and anchor a defense. He's pretty athletic for his size and is extremely strong. He probably won't do a whole lot rushing the passer or in pursuit, but we have that quick NT in Earl Mitchell.

3. (compensatory) Xavier Nixon - OT, Florida

Shout out to America on this one, he's the one who turned me on to Nixon as a prospect. Derek Newton is terrible and it would be great to replace him at RT. Nixon is an athletic tackle with good length and the ability to anchor. Gets a good push in the run game and keeps his feet churning.

4. Kevin Reddick - ILB, UNC

Reddick is a bit of a project, but has all the tools you look for. He's instinctive, sorts through trash well, and plays fast. He needs a lot of work on tackling technique and needs to be coached up. He is great at getting to the play and getting his hands on the ball carrier, but his issue is finishing the play. Assuming he is coachable, he is a hell of a player and would look good next to Cushing inside.

5. Traded to the Eagles for Brent Celek

I'm also a big Eagles fan, so I've seen a lot of Brent Celek over the years and he's a quality player. He is an effective blocker and pass catcher. He's proved he can start in the NFL and would provide a good 2nd option behind Owen Daniels. I was looking at Dion Sims but he was taken before my pick. Celek's 28 and at the very least provides great depth.

Overall I think I've gotten good value for our picks and have addressed most of our glaring needs with players who can contribute early on. We've still got 2 picks in the 6th and 1 in the 7th. Got some interesting players in mind for those spots and I'll keep you guys updated.

jayceheathman
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I read Keenan Allen has failed his interviews miserably and that the scouts see him as a "me first" type of a guy. Ouch. His stock has already been falling and that doesn't help. The Texans hate guys with that attitude too.

jayceheathman
04-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Draft is getting closer. :)

cunningham06
04-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Last three picks ended up being:

6th round- Tristan Okpalaugo- OLB, Fresno St.
Took him to serve as a backup OLB for us. He has a big frame, long arms, and pretty good quickness off the snap. Developmental kind of guy, but has a high ceiling for where we got him.

6th round(compensatory): Sam McGuffie- RB/WR
I like McGuffie to line up all over the field, particularly in the slot. He's very shifty and fast.

7th Round: Mario Benavides- C, Louisville
We needed a backup C, and he was the best available IMO.

Overall: Of course I like this draft, I picked these guys. I think Trufant, Patton, and Nixon can step in early and get playing time, if not start. Brandon Williams could be excellent in run stuffing packages, but I don't think he would start over Earl Mitchell to start the season. We picked up some good depth at TE, C, ILB, and OLB. I would have liked to get a safety but I had other positions at better value where I picked. And Schaub gets some new toys to play with in Patton, Celek, and McGuffie.

So let me know what you guys think.

2 DAYS!

jayceheathman
04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
It's draft day!

jayceheathman
04-25-2013, 10:23 PM
The Texans should have made the trade that the Vikes did with the Pats. A 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th to move down a little.

Dunta_23
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
A trade down would have been nice to add some depth pieces but if the Texans felt Hopkins could come in and start day 1 and had him ranked above others Im glad they made the move.

We already have a 2, and 2 3rds

jayceheathman
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
A trade down would have been nice to add some depth pieces but if the Texans felt Hopkins could come in and start day 1 and had him ranked above others Im glad they made the move.

We already have a 2, and 2 3rds

I would have accepted that deal. Then we would have 2 seconds, 3 3rds, and 2 fourth round picks. That would give us the chance to draft both Robert Woods/Justin Hunter, and Terrence Williams if we went that route.

America
04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I became a really big fan of Hopkins these last few weeks leading up to the draft and D.J. Swearinger is one of my absolute favorites in the entire draft. He's a natural leader and brings a lot of attitude to the defense. I think he'll start out playing close to the line of scrimmage, acting as a nickel LB like Antrel Rolle. Hopkins should start immediately and be a 50-60 catch kind of guy, providing a deep threat opposite Andre. He's great at comebacks and outs, always coming back to the ball, which is essential with Schaub's weak arm.

I'm iffy on Brennan Williams. I thought they said Brandon Williams at first and I was pumped but the Brennan definitely fills a need. I'm not sure how he fits our scheme, seeing as he's not very light on his feet and he's more of a mauler, but hopefully he can come in and compete with Newton right away. I liked Sam Montgomery too. He should be a solid edge setter and can get some pressure with extra hustle.

jayceheathman
04-26-2013, 11:58 PM
I became a really big fan of Hopkins these last few weeks leading up to the draft and D.J. Swearinger is one of my absolute favorites in the entire draft. He's a natural leader and brings a lot of attitude to the defense. I think he'll start out playing close to the line of scrimmage, acting as a nickel LB like Antrel Rolle. Hopkins should start immediately and be a 50-60 catch kind of guy, providing a deep threat opposite Andre. He's great at comebacks and outs, always coming back to the ball, which is essential with Schaub's weak arm.

I'm iffy on Brennan Williams. I thought they said Brandon Williams at first and I was pumped but the Brennan definitely fills a need. I'm not sure how he fits our scheme, seeing as he's not very light on his feet and he's more of a mauler, but hopefully he can come in and compete with Newton right away. I liked Sam Montgomery too. He should be a solid edge setter and can get some pressure with extra hustle.

He does fill a need even though everyone knows how I feel about the WR's this year. I hope he proves me wrong and you all can say "I told you so" to me. He does have hands similar to Andre.

I agree with you on Swearinger. I really like that pick even though I was pulling for Amerson by a small margin. He is my favorite pick for us thus far. I am mixed on Brennan as well. I never really paid attention to UNC this year so never really got to see him play. I am also in between on Montgomery. I mean, I like him as a player and he has talent, but a little mixed on how he will fit on the team. He is rather light for a 5 technique. I guess we will use him more in passing downs. Maybe he can gain 20 pounds or so. Can he really make the switch to 3-4 OLB? Seems like a project but worth the risk in the bottom of the 3rd.

jayceheathman
04-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Our UDFA signings:

Justin Tuggle, Inside Linebacker, Kansas State, 6-3, 244 lbs.
Travis Howard, Cornerback, Ohio State, 6-1 200 lbs.
Willie Jeffeson, Outside Linebacker, Stephen F. Austin, 6-6 234 lbs.
Graham Pocic, Center, Illinois, 6-7 310 lbs.
Ja’Gared Davis, SMU, Outside Linebacker, 6-1 235 lbs.
Earl Okine, Florida, Defensive End, 6-6 286 lbs.
Zach Boren, Ohio State, Fullback, 6-1 241 lbs.
Evan Frierson, Illinois State, Linebacker, 6-2 240 lbs.
Dann O’Neill, Western Michigan,Tackle, 6-8 305 lbs.
Marlon Brown, Georgia, Wide Receiver, 6-4 213 lbs.
Raymond Graham, Pittsburgh, Running back, 5-9 190 lbs.
Uzoma Nwachukwu, Texas A&M, Wide Receiver, 6-0 194 lbs.
Jon Opperud, Montana, Offensive Tackle, 6-7 302 lbs.
Kenny Demens, Michigan, Linebacker, 6-1 242 lbs.
Andrew Shapiro, Fresno State, Punter, 6-0 198 lbs.
George Winn, Cincinnati, Running back, 5-10 216 lbs.
Andy Cruse, Miami (OH), Wide Receiver, 6-3 212 lbs.
Orhian Johnson, Ohio State, Safety, 6-2 210 lbs.
Bryan Collins, SMU, Offensive Guard, 6-3 313 lbs.
Dennis Johnson, Arkansas,Running back, 5-6 196 lbs.
Alex Kupper, Louisville, Offensive Guard, 6-3 298 lbs.
Collin Klein, Kansas State, Quarterback, 6-5, 226 lbs. TRYOUT
Cierre Wood , Notre Dame, Running back, 5-11 213 lbs.
Michael Smith, UConn, Wide Receiver, 6-0 201 lbs.
Johnny Adams, Michigan State, Cornerback, 5-11 177 lbs.
Torlan Pittman, SMU, Defensive Tackle, 6-1, 285 lbs.
Jawanza Starling, USC, Safety, 6-1 200 lbs.
Malik “Fig” James, Langston University, Defensive Back, 6-0 195 lbs.
A.J. Bouye, University of Central Florida, Cornerback, 6-0 186 lbs.
Alec Lemon, Syracuse, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver, 6-2 202 lbs.
Javicz Jones, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Linebacker/Safety 6-0 224 lbs. TRYOUT

villagewarrior
04-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Man Texans made out like bandits in UDFA. I love Houston's first two picks, Patterson and Hopkins were my top 2 receivers and Swearinger is a hell of a ball player despite his marginal shorts numbers. Montgomery and Quessenberry are intriguing picks. The rest is pretty meh.

C.

jayceheathman
05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
2017 Super Bowl!!!!!