PDA

View Full Version : USC & shotgun formation

RWFender1
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
i was just wondering if anyone knows why USC never opperates out of the shotgun formation? i dont think ive seen them once in shotgun formation. im not sure why. someone told me they heard it messes with the recievers timing on routes. anyone know the reason?

Archangel Michael
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I read that they were experimenting with it now.

RWFender1
04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
i think it would be good for them even if they only ran like 2 or 3 plays out of shotgun formation. it might have helped them to have more time to throw against UCLA (that and some screen passes).

soybean
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
i think they'll use it A LOT more once corp is qb.

RWFender1
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
you're probably right but i hope to see it incorporated somewhat into next year's playbook

Zyro_1014
04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
yeah go to their site on rivals and it talks about how there going to expieriment with it next season.

elway777
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah SC is installing it this spring, and Booty is looking good running it(he ran shotgun in HS).

RWFender1
04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
nice. im glad they decided to add it. maybe we'll see some more empty backfield plays too.

TigerBait45
04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Booty ran a primarily shotgun offense at Evangel. It'll probably be a pretty easy transition for USC with him at QB.

gridiron nation
04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Sarkesian is now calling plays and is a big fan of the gun from his BYU days. Lane Kiffin was not a hige fan of it and as much as they may be tinkering with it they will not go to it as their primary or anything. It may be just another look for them.

RWFender1
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
why didnt kiffin like shotgun? does anyone have that link talking about it on rivals that was mentioned?

BuddyCHRIST
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
the offense has been pretty okay the past few years without it

RWFender1
04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah i dont want to make any drastic changes. i would like to see it thrown in once in awhile but not excessive. my biggest hope for the offense next year is that they will do a better job establishing the run game. shouldnt be too big of a problem with all the recruits and now last years freshman have experience

Zyro_1014
04-04-2007, 12:23 AM
yeah well, they have been fine without it, but i think being able to go out of the gun will help them with there protection, not having as much pressure, being able to see more of the field and look at more options. Just a different look. We wont be like Texas Tech or anything going out of the gun every play.

RWFender1
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah i read that they are interested in using it more on like 3rd down plays. i also read one of the reasons carroll hadnt used it was because his old mentor was against it. his mentor felt that by moving the quarterback away from the center and affected the flow and momentum of the QB's rhythm. makes sense but im glad they are adding it for a few situations ecspecially it booty used it a lot in high school. i heard since booty, corp and sanchez are all a couple inches shorter than palmer and leinart were playing out of the gun and starting back further helps them see better down field in certain situations which hopefully should reduce some batted down passes. im glad they added it even if they only run it once a game

WildDude
04-08-2007, 02:59 PM
this actually dosent make sense at all... its alot harder to run with the shotgun what will they do with all their backs? sure theyre strong in the reciving corps with travon patterson, vidal hazelton, david ausberry and company... but they could very easily utilize the talent they have under center, i believe that they should be playing based on the people they have and if they dont use their backs propertly itll all be a waste

RWFender1
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
i doubt its going to be a regular feature for them. sounds like they are pretty much just going to use it on certain 3rd and long situations just as a new look. Cal does it and they have great running backs. wont be a bad thing

SuperKevin
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
i for one think it's a good thing that USC doesn't operate out of the shotgun. They are giving their QBs valuable experience in a pro style offense. I feel that is why players like carson Palmer and Matt Leinart are succeeding so far in the NFL. When a QB operates strictly out of the shotgun in college they learn to rely predominantly on their athleticism rather than allowing a pocket to form around them and let plays set themselves up.

Gchu83
04-08-2007, 06:08 PM
USC seems to be doing just fine w/o it. I agree that it couldn't hurt to throw it in a game every once in a while. Texas completely revamped their offense for VY and we're going to keep it from here on out, my main problem is that it completely ruined our running game (which was a staple for so many years).

BigJohn98
04-10-2007, 10:38 PM
i was just wondering if anyone knows why USC never opperates out of the shotgun formation? i dont think ive seen them once in shotgun formation. im not sure why. someone told me they heard it messes with the recievers timing on routes. anyone know the reason?

They run the WCO. No one uses the shotgun in the WCO. Everything is done from under center. They obviously don't need to add it. They've had success without it.

RWFender1
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
anyone go to Trojan Huddle this weekend? i wasnt able to go but i heard someone say chauncey started? is he looking better? man, i hope gable starts unless chauncey has stepped his game up from last year

RWFender1
04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
nevermind, i read gable, bradford and moody all sat out from the scrimmage because of injury