PDA

View Full Version : Ask Tom! (Until noon on April 4th...)

TacticaLion
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/about.html

Until noon on April 4th, you can submit a question to Tom (and he'll answer it). I asked the following:

Hey, Tom. Thanks for the site.

My question is pertaining to the starting safeties for the 2007 Lions. Is it possible that they move Bullocks to SS (which would be an upgrade over Kennedy) and draft a playmaker to fill the FS role? Grabbing a player like Meriweather in round 2 would be a perfect fit... he's fast, can tackle, is great in coverage, is a hard worker and leader and is always around the play.

Pairing Bullocks with Meriweather (and drafting Gaines Adams or Patrick Willis in round 1) would give us the pieces for an incredible defense.

detroit4life
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
thats a scenario that i rly want to see getting willis/adams and merriweather gives us two players that i believe will be very good players in the NFL and at positions of need as well. Im confident that if we took merriweather he will be one of if not our best defensive player next year along with willis/adams sims and rogers

familyguy555
04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
is he answering every single question?

Bootland27
04-04-2007, 08:42 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/

And if anyone was wondering.....he did not answer tactica's question.

TacticaLion
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yep. I was a bit disappointed... thinking "Sweet... here's some insight on a position that hasn't been mentioned much in the offseason". A lot of the questions were old, answered rumors.

A few interesting answers:

Mike: When dungy took over tampa they went 6-10, the next year they were 10-6... when lovie took over the bears 5-11 to 11-5... even when dungy took over the 6-10 colts they went 10-6 the next year... now i know the Lions aren't going to go 13-3, but how much do these turn arounds display the importance of understanding the 'tampa-2' and how far along do you think the lions players are... what are the chances of the Lions following suit in the 'tampa-two turnaround'

Tom Kowalski: It was interesting to talk to Brian Urlacher the last couple of years because he said they were basically clueless about the defense in the first year and made huge strides in the second year. He also said it takes three years for the players to really "know'' the defense and have it become second nature. But he did say the biggest leap is from the first year to the second. We'll see if the Lions can pull it off.

Jeff: How many spots are the Lions looking to move down, ideally? Is it down to 5-7 for Adams or back a little further for Willis?

Tom Kowalski: I think the Lions would prefer to move down no further than No. 6. The consensus is that there are six elite players in the draft and then, after that, it's a pool of really good players. I believe the Lions are hoping Willis slides down the board and I think there's a chance it might happen. Not because of his ability, but because he's a middle linebacker and some teams don't even have that position while other teams have greater needs. The Lions are hoping to jump back up into the first round (after a potential trade down) and grab him about No. 20. It's a longshot, but they don't have a lot of options.

And a pointless one:

Katmandoo122: Do you color your stache to keep it from graying? And when is Barry Sanders coming back?

Tom Kowalski: These are the kinds of questions that prompt me to ask "Guess what time it is?"

Iamcanadian
04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Interesting Tactical Lion, he seems to be on the same page with me, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything, just stating the facts.

Quotes:

Tom Kowalski: Ideally, the Lions would trade down one spot to Cleveland's position and then move down another couple of spots and take Gaines Adams.

The Lions are hoping to jump back up into the first round (after a potential trade down) and grab him about No. 20. It's a longshot, but they don't have a lot of options.

WMD
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Interesting Tactical Lion, he seems to be on the same page with me, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything, just stating the facts.

Quotes:

Tom Kowalski: Ideally, the Lions would trade down one spot to Cleveland's position and then move down another couple of spots and take Gaines Adams.

The Lions are hoping to jump back up into the first round (after a potential trade down) and grab him about No. 20. It's a longshot, but they don't have a lot of options.

I'd love for that to happen... I don't think he'll last to #20 though, just about every team in the 11-19 range could use him... and I suspect he'll get picked closer to #10 than he does #20.

Addict
04-05-2007, 04:41 AM

Quotes:

he'll be gone before pick 15. Too many teams who need/want a MLB.